PDA

View Full Version : Balance of Power! (346)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 2:45 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/346.jpgBalance Of Power!

Its time for Ash's 5th Gym Battle in Hoenn. He finally has more than 3 Pokémon so it wont be a repeat of his last battle against Norman. Slakoth, Vigoroth and Slaking are his opponents. Will Ash Win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/346.shtml)

Discuss

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 8:41 PM
Petalburg gym match was one of the best...but of course now...this 7th gym badge battle will be excellent...

Pikachu and Grovyle did well...i really like how well Pikachu did...and then Grovyle with Overgrow...was EXCELLENT...

Hales
24th October 2004, 9:44 AM
I can't wait to see this episode... I like Norman!

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 10:51 AM
It was a great battle! I really liked the battle between Pikachu and Vigroth also the battle between Grovyle and Slaking.

Space Skitty
1st November 2004, 11:51 PM
Norman is one of my favorite Gym Leaders so it'll be nice to see him again. The battle is very exciting. Interesting to see the use of abilities.

Hales
24th November 2004, 10:19 AM
I also can't wait to see the dubbed version of this, I want to know how well Norman took his defeat ;)

Plus Max's reaction to the loss... especially since leading up to it he kept saying that Ash would lose.

Also wouldn't mind hearing why Brock told May not to take sides.

Geodude
5th December 2004, 1:38 AM
Predicted dub title:

Slaking Off!

:p

Factory Head Noland
5th December 2004, 1:40 AM
Lol, I bet it will be something like "If You're Slaking, You Lose!" which is a 2 meaning title.

Yellow
5th December 2004, 1:56 AM
I can't wait to see this episode!! Grovyle and Overgrow will be a treat to see. I heard Pikachu also uses Static?

Geodude
5th December 2004, 1:57 AM
Static comes into play at one point, yes. I just hope it's explained properly in the dub.

Chris
5th December 2004, 2:01 AM
Haruka wasn't the one taking sides. Masato was, and he was upset over Haruka not being completely in favor of her father. The main reason being that taking sides would be a disappointment in the end for one of them, and if they took complete favor of Senri, Satoshi would doubt that his friends have faith in him.

Geodude
5th December 2004, 2:06 AM
Yeah Caroline even set a good example for her kids regarding this. She didn't seem to care who won, she just wanted to see a good battle. AFAIK anyway...someone who knows more Japanese might end up correcting me though. :p

Chris
5th December 2004, 2:07 AM
You would be right, Geo. That's basically the gist of what she said. It didn't matter who won. As long as the battle was good and they both did their best, that's all that mattered.

Hales
5th December 2004, 2:39 AM
Yeah I remember Max taking sides while reading the summary (so I understand that), it's just Brock mentions something about how May shouldn't say anything... after she calls out to Ash (something encouraging) so that's why I was wondering why.

King Shuckle
10th December 2004, 1:08 AM
My Predicted Dub Titles:
~Loosin' Your Balance (In meaning of the Balance Badge)
~Everything is Back to Norman (Everything is back to normal)
~Stop Slaking Off! (Stop Slacking off)

charizard trainer #1
10th December 2004, 8:56 AM
Reading the episode guide was exciting watching it must be even better. Can't wait till it airs

Shiny May
3rd January 2005, 1:59 PM
I've seen it. Great actions and I think all of Ash's pokemon put up a great fight.
Grovyle was really amazing and I like how Max reacted. It was a realistic reaction and May was cheering for Ash that was good and when she realised she gave some wrong advice to Ash was also funny !!

A great gym battle. One of the best I think, the beginning wasn't good for Ash but he came back strong.
9/10

frednmethod
4th January 2005, 6:05 PM
This was the best of all Hoenn gym battles!
The one with Winona comes in on a close second.

We have yet to see Ash vs Ardan, which I don't doubt that it'll be highly spectacular, and probably better than this one.

Raize
14th January 2005, 2:51 AM
Hmmm, This seems like an interesting eppy we battle Norman in here eh? I here some abilities come into play here....like to see that. Well I'm waiting to see this one and the slaking off seems like the best ;\

ChaosMage
16th January 2005, 8:34 AM
Predicted dub title: Slaking Off! (I'm pretty sure most people agree about this one)

Torkoal Stu
29th January 2005, 6:02 PM
~Loosin' Your Balance (In meaning of the Balance Badge)

that what I think because look

A Winner by a Nosepass! (based on a pokemon)
Just One of The Geysers! (Based on the field)
Watt's With Wattson! (based on the gym leader)
Going Going Yawn! (Based a move)

so a badge realated title will be good because it is different there are titles in hoenn for Pokemon, field, leader and move! so it would be great!! but 4kids will muck it up, I bet!

jolteonjak
29th January 2005, 10:18 PM
Yah, but did anyone ever lose their balance?

Geodude
29th January 2005, 10:36 PM
How about Fighting for Balance?

Torkoal Stu
30th January 2005, 5:56 AM
How about Fighting for Balance?

That sounds good! and it fits into the whole new style of title! so if it is(which it is) a pun on the badge it is different! anyway Torkoal was used! Yeah! Rock on!!!! But it was about a couple of minutes in the spotlight and it is his only gym battle.(The writers really know how to ruin the show! don't they!)

jolteonjak
5th February 2005, 6:46 PM
How about "Keeping Balance"

Gaadi
8th February 2005, 7:10 PM
How about "Overgrown Balance"

V Faction
8th February 2005, 11:52 PM
How about, "OMG I havetu Balance da Check Book afore teh moneymenz comez and take... OHNOEZ!!11 theyarz her! runaawy!11 auauaughhhghhhh..... ...."

Or is that too long?

Blaziken Trainer
8th February 2005, 11:54 PM
LOL, I think it might be a TAD to long!

Alfonso
8th February 2005, 11:57 PM
How about, "OMG I havetu Balance da Check Book afore teh moneymenz comez and take... OHNOEZ!!11 theyarz her! runaawy!11 auauaughhhghhhh..... ...."

Or is that too long?

Hmmmm... better than some of the other suggestions in this thread. 'Course, I really have no interest in this episode whatsoever. I've never been too keen on Senri, to be honest, or the Pokemon he uses. Bring on Winona and the second appearence of Roxanne I say.

Wait, did I say that bit about Roxanne out loud? *quickly hides the secret future Pokemon scripts he stole*

They'll most likely call this episode 'The Slaking of the Jungle', or something equally lame. >.>

Torkoal Stu
11th February 2005, 7:58 AM
Yes! Everyone knows how much I wanted a title with the word Balance and the title is "Balance of Power!" Yes they haven't ruined it! So it is still
Pokemon, Field, Gym Leader, Move and Badge Titles! Yes! Go 4Kids! I never though I would say that!

The Big Al
17th March 2005, 10:57 AM
"The Balanace of Power" is based off "The Balance of Terror" which was an old Star Trek Episode name. Yes, Star Trek has finally come to Pokemon. :D

jolteonjak
17th March 2005, 3:04 PM
I must say. I'm getting anxious for this episode. Been awhile since I got excited for an episode that I know the outcome of...

MayAsh1987
19th March 2005, 1:34 AM
EEEEKKKKKK! I can't wait to see this epsiode tomorrow! I seen the pictures and it looks really good! Norman is one of my fave. gym leaders and I like gym leaders who gives off good strageties (hope I spelled it right) that get Ash thinking to a whole another level!

Almighty Zard
19th March 2005, 2:17 AM
who wants to bet that they will make up excuses for Grovyle and pikachus abilities.

V Faction
19th March 2005, 1:58 PM
who wants to bet that they will make up excuses for Grovyle and pikachus abilities.
Let's hope not. I've been waiting in anticipation for so long just for the abilities and I'm crossing my fingers. After Soundproof, it's a scary thought.

Serebii
19th March 2005, 2:07 PM
"The Balanace of Power" is based off "The Balance of Terror" which was an old Star Trek Episode name. Yes, Star Trek has finally come to Pokemon. :D
Has Happened Before

"The Trouble With Snubbull" from "The Trouble With Tribbles"

BUT

Balance of Power has been a phrase for a while...they use it this time in reference to the Balance Badge

Torkoal Stu
19th March 2005, 2:14 PM
Has Happened Before

"The Trouble With Snubbull" from "The Trouble With Tribbles"

BUT

Balance of Power has been a phrase for a while...they use it this time in reference to the Balance Badge

Yeah as I said before! Its a different sort of pun!

Rustboro-Pun on a pokemon!
Dewford-Pun on the field type!
Maville-Pun on gym leader name!
Larverge-Pun on a move!
Petalburg-Pun on Badge!

I hope they don't make an excuse for the abilities!

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th March 2005, 2:32 PM
History Lesson Time.

Okay, we learned this a few weeks ago in history. Balance of Power is what Great Britian did. They did not want to join up with the strongest country and make it to powerful, so they would join up with weakest.

Anyway, I love that Torkoal gets some action in!

Only bad thing is during the coolest part of the Episode OK plays, so in the Dub we'll get some dumb dub music.

Torkoal Stu
19th March 2005, 2:40 PM
History Lesson Time.

Okay, we learned this a few weeks ago in history. Balance of Power is what Great Britian did. They did not want to join up with the strongest country and make it to powerful, so they would join up with weakest.

Anyway, I love that Torkoal gets some action in!

Only bad thing is during the coolest part of the Episode OK plays, so in the Dub we'll get some dumb dub music.

Oh! Yeah I just remembered about Torkoal's cool battle action! Everyone should know when I see this ep I will be hyper!

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th March 2005, 2:41 PM
Oh! Yeah I just remembered about Torkoal's cool battle action! Everyone should know when I see this ep I will be hyper!

Me too! Torkoal is one of my favorite of the gang's Pokemon. Right up there with Corphish and Snorunt ^.^

V Faction
19th March 2005, 3:34 PM
-What was up with that stupid brightness. Don't know if anyone else experienced it, but man was it annoying.

-Sounds like they butchered the music from the tunes I heard, but I'm not an expert.

-They said Overgrow! The morally sickening explanation behind was bleh, but at least they called it by name. Static was there too, sorta. Truant wasn't.

Torkoal Stu
19th March 2005, 3:39 PM
Me too! Torkoal is one of my favorite of the gang's Pokemon. Right up there with Corphish and Snorunt ^.^

Why did you put spoilers? But I so wanna see this ep! Torkoal first and only gym battle!

Professor Ivy
19th March 2005, 3:44 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/346.jpgPetalburg Gym! Five Badges!

Its time for Ash's 5th Gym Battle in Hoenn. He finally has more than 3 Pokémon so it wont be a repeat of his last battle against Norman. Slakoth, Vigoroth and Slaking are his opponents. Will Ash Win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/346.shtml)

Discuss :025ball: Eng: Balance of Power!
Jap: Petalburg Gym! Five Badges!

It was oh okay nothin special, just one like stick out, it the first time they use the Pokémon abitilies. that the other thing, Satoshi's Pokémon use they abitily but not Norman's Pokémon.

CyberCubed
19th March 2005, 3:47 PM
Man, coupled with bad animation and bad backround music, this GYM battle wasn't as good as it could have been. Why can't the animators who did "Exploud and Clear" animate EVERY episode like that? The animation and battle scenes are so much more exciting when they're detailed and fluid.

You could tell how poor the animation in this ep was by just looking at Grovyles face. Norman looked skinnier than the previous episode, May gets "smaller" with this set of animators, and the attacks aren't as fluid. Couple that with backround music that wasn't really excited, kind of ruined this episode for me.

Things they need to stop doing in future GYM battles:

1. Unstoppable pokemon getting KO'd in 1 hit. Torkoal and Slakoth appeared to be unstoppable during their first battles, yet during the next match they both get KO'd in 1 hit?
2. The "both pokemon attack at the same time and then stand still waiting to see who got hit". They've done this too many times in the past.
3. Brock stop narrating the whole battle! It really takes away from the battle that every 30 seconds we have to stop and listen to Brock explain everything to May and Max. We get it Brock, but just try to say what you want all at one time.
4. Team Rocket screentime. TR is always a waste of time in GYM and League episodes, and this one was no different. TR definitely do not need to be in GYM episodes, as all they do is waste precious time needed for the battle. But hey seeing Dugtrio again was cool!

Other than that the battle was alright. The scene with Max stealing the badge at the end and crying was awesome, he acted like a real 8 year old would act if he saw his father and hero lose. I also liked the fact that Max said that Norman may be strong enough to enter the Elite 4.

So May never shows her parents her ribbons? Or any of the pokemon she's caught? Kind of a waste of potentional character development, it would have been nice to see her parents reactions.

Good GYM battle, but Flannery and Brawly's matches were far superior.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
19th March 2005, 3:48 PM
Excellent battle. Unfortunately, my family kept popping in to do the STUPIDEST things, so I missed some of it:@. But, what I saw was great! Slaking had an awesome voice! It was a great battler too. Vigoroth was equal to that, too. Great voice, great battler! Grovyle boucing of the walls was cool, too. And Overgrow and Static were a great idea for the battle!

Overall rating:
8.9 out of 10!!!
Quite a good Gym battle. Plus, Max got a bit of spotlight in the end:D.

SC~ out

Space Skitty
19th March 2005, 4:01 PM
I thought this was a great episode! The only down point for me was the constant chage of background music. Other then that, the battle was great. Slakoth had such a cute and suiting voice! Grovyle was an awesome fighter; it just refused to give up. And the part where Max takes the badge was touching. Poor Max... Overall, a great episode!

Dogasu
19th March 2005, 4:10 PM
Man, coupled with bad animation and bad backround music, this GYM battle wasn't as good as it could have been.

Eh, I agree that the animation was bad. Particularly the part where Juputoru was jumpking on Kekking's head.

However, the music was another thing. The second half of the episode had 4Kids music, while the Japanese version had 1) a really great instrumental theme that 4Kids has yet to use (it was played during the Bashamo/Lizardon battle in the Jouto League), possibly because they don't have the rights to it, and 2) the third opening theme, OK!, which 4Kids won't play because it's in Japanese.

Why can't the animators who did "Exploud and Clear" animate EVERY episode like that? The animation and battle scenes are so much more exciting when they're detailed and fluid.

One word: deadline. The show is animated at a once-a-week schedule, which means that several animation studios have to be working on different episodes at the same time in order to meet the deadline.

Things they need to stop doing in future GYM battles:

1. Unstoppable pokemon getting KO'd in 1 hit. Torkoal and Slakoth appeared to be unstoppable during their first battles, yet during the next match they both get KO'd in 1 hit?

I think the idea is that the first battle (the one where they're unstoppable) wears them out enough to allow them to be defeated by one hit in the subsequent battle.

2. The "both pokemon attack at the same time and then stand still waiting to see who got hit". They've done this too many times in the past.

It's a typical anime cliche that I don't see going away anytime soon.

3. Brock stop narrating the whole battle! It really takes away from the battle that every 30 seconds we have to stop and listen to Brock explain everything to May and Max. We get it Brock, but just try to say what you want all at one time.

But seriously, other than being a Ban'nai detector, what other role has Takeshi had in Houen? I say let Takeshi explain away; at least that way he's doing something.

4. Team Rocket screentime. TR is always a waste of time in GYM and League episodes, and this one was no different. TR definitely do not need to be in GYM episodes, as all they do is waste precious time needed for the battle.

Agreed.

I also liked the fact that Max said that Norman may be strong enough to enter the Elite 4.

I checked the Japanese version (briefly), and I don't think he says that originally. At least I didn't hear Masato say "Shi Ten'nou" during the corresponding line in the Japanese version.

I'll have to listen to it closer when I go and do my comparison for the episode.

So May never shows her parents her ribbons? Or any of the pokemon she's caught? Kind of a waste of potentional character development, it would have been nice to see her parents reactions.

Agreed. But then again, the Pocket Monsters franchise is full of wasted potential.

Heracross
19th March 2005, 4:21 PM
This episode was just kinda meh. I had expected a lot more from a gym battle, especially Satoshi's much anticipated rematch with Senri. As Cybercubed said, it was pretty cheap on the writers parts to have Namakero and Kootasu get KO'ed in just one hit. That and the clichéd ending to the battle really reminded me of the battles during the Silver Conference.

And as far as the dub goes, this was one of the worst gym battle episodes yet. The music was absolutely terrible. I don't understand how they keep so much music in some episodes, and then give us crap like this. For a gym battle that lasted practically the entire episode, you would think they could keep at least a couple pieces of music from the original.:P And although I still haven't seen the original version yet, I only heard one piece that sounded like it had been kept, and it lasted a whole seven seconds before being replaced by yet more crappy dub music. -_-;

It is interesting to note though, that the scroll thing on the wall behind Senri that had Japanese text, or what closely resembled it (couldn't tell if it was real or just some scribbles that looked real) was kept intact in the dubbed version. Surprisingly this isn't the first time though, as you can see a similar scroll on the wall in "Two Hits and a Miss" when everyone's sitting around inside the dojo.

Medea
19th March 2005, 4:53 PM
Not much to say about the episode, except that the battle between Slaking and Grovyle was cool and I don't usually speak highly of the gym battles.

AJW73
19th March 2005, 5:02 PM
Does anyone besides me think that Ash saying that he won the Balance Badge was a tad rude after he calmed Max down?

Personally, I think Max was overreacting to his dad losing. He needs to realize that this is what being a Gym leader is all about, winning, losing, and being a good sport about it.

Each week, I'm liking this show less and less with all the sappiness. No offense.

Robert
19th March 2005, 5:37 PM
This was an okay episode, but disappointing for a gym battle that was so highly anticipated. Ash's Pokemon seemed overly powerful at times... And way too many one-hit KO's... As usual, Team Rocket was completely pointless... On the bright side of things, Norman's voice sounded a bit deeper (and better) than the last episode (at least to me), and I liked the scene with Max at the end. Not awful, but not anything very impressive.

Torkoal Stu
19th March 2005, 5:42 PM
How goos was the dub of Torkoal's battling? I was wondering! I wanna hear about Torkoal's major action cause its his first a last gym battle!

Pika Hikari KT
19th March 2005, 5:53 PM
Ugh; I watched this expecting a good battle, but was a little let down. Torkoal's old voice is back, why?! I liked it's Destiny Deoxys voice since it was much closer to the original. Not a mention of Traunt, Static doesn't get mentioned by name, but Overgrow was explained pretty nicely.(and they totally ruined May and Brock being neutral on the battle...Dogasu's gonna have his hands full with this eppie) And look, Super Saiyan Grovyle!:p Pikachu vs. Vigoroth and Grovyle vs. Slaking were both very good battles. As much as Max and I have the same way of venting our anger, he isn't a very good sport. Then again, he's 7/8 and I'm 16...^_^; Anyways, the end scene was very emotional. Ash has another badge; now on to Fortree! 8/10

V Faction
19th March 2005, 5:59 PM
It is interesting to note though, that the scroll thing on the wall behind Senri that had Japanese text, or what closely resembled it (couldn't tell if it was real or just some scribbles that looked real) was kept intact in the dubbed version. Surprisingly this isn't the first time though, as you can see a similar scroll on the wall in "Two Hits and a Miss" when everyone's sitting around inside the dojo.
That's probably why they do it. What's more authentic than a freakin' dojo. Perhaps it's their subtle (extremely) way of keeping any sense of the culture intact?

I checked the Japanese version (briefly), and I don't think he says that originally. At least I didn't hear Masato say "Shi Ten'nou" during the corresponding line in the Japanese version.
We can probably already see the outcome, that it wasn't present in the Japanese version. But for all the numerous 'additions' that 4Kids! adds, this is probably my most likable one. After all, when was the last time the Elite 4 was mentioned directly? (and it's still a good line if one ignores the fact that a leader higher up on the ranks [see:wallace and emerald] would have a better chance)

Pallet Champ
19th March 2005, 6:13 PM
I also agree that this episode had a good battle. And, I was happy when I saw Max cry like baby when his daddy lose to Ash. But, I was mad on how he took the bagde away from Norman when he was about to give it to Ash. If I was Ash, I would of break down the door of the room where Max ran into and beat his little whining nerdy looking butt by breaking his face w/his glasses on, break his ribs and arms and say "run your pockets" and get my badge back and steal his PokeNav and wallet. And I would do it right in front of everybody. Now if I was Norman, I would whip his butt with my belt and whip him so hard that his buttocks would be so red that people will mistake them as 2 Voltorbs that are stick to his bottom by static electricity. Anyway, the episode was very good. PEACE!!!

DShaun2004
19th March 2005, 6:27 PM
First off, let me just say that after 5 YEARS without the WB, I finally have it!!! So now I can officially be apart of these discussions and watch Pokemon again!

2day's ep. was okay. Not the best Gym battles I managed to see in the past. The ep. with May's beautifly VS. Medicham was by far the best animated-style battling I've seen during the Hoenn sagas. I was hoping this battle could've been like that!

I'm sorry to say this: but Max is not my favorite character. At times I can't seem to tolerate him. He's too annoying to me! I know he's 8/9, but still!!! Him always dragging Brock away from a girl. WHY???? What Brock does, what's that got to do with him?? In the next generation, I hope May is still around and not Max! He can be off somewhere with Misty exchanging Brock notes.

Overall: 60/100. The battles were straight, but the animation-style of it all was lacking, plus Max's annoyance. And TR really didn't need to be there.

Almighty Zard
19th March 2005, 6:29 PM
I thought that it was an intresting battle, the best so far of the lot, and i have got to say two things,
1.The KO's were understandable, Slakoth was using blizzard against a fire attack, so no duh it lost and got basted, and as for Torkoal, Vigoroth was stronger than slakoth, and torkoal was ash's weakest leveled guy at the moment, plus take thier status into account, do the math.
2.I rather enjoyed max's little break down at the end of the episode, after all he had been putting down ash's chances of winning so much, that it was nice to see him shut up.
rating 9/10

MayAsh1987
19th March 2005, 6:38 PM
I liked the battle with Vigoroth and Pikachu, and Slaking vs. Grovyle, that was good, but I'm sorry, music was crap. The whole time I watched this, I was thinking the song "Yeah" from Usher as I watched this episode, trying to ignore the battle music background. Other than that, it was good, but not the best gym battle. It was nice to see the abilities like Static and Overgrow, that was cool. I liked the scene when MAx took the badge and started to cry. I wasn't that surprised how he'll react to his dad losing.
But also another funny thing that didn't make sense to me is, the scene when they tried to get Max to come out. When Ash said that the badge doesn't matter, and the battle was more important, I was ok. But then when Max gets out and gives the badge to Ash, he gets it and he gets all happy and does the badge pose! Wait a minute! Did Ash just said the badge didn't matter?
Also, was May lines redubbed from the Japanese version? In the jap one, was she rooting for Ash or something, but Brock stopped her saying not to pick sides. Then in the English version she said to Ash to subsitute a Pokemon, but Brock said that will be bad. I'm confused...........
Other then that, battle was cool, but the was music lame. In my rating, it gets 8.75 from 10 for the battle! 1 out of 10 for the music!

Sushi
19th March 2005, 6:45 PM
Also, was May lines redubbed from the Japanese version? In the jap one, was she rooting for Ash or something, but Brock stopped her saying not to pick sides. Then in the English version she said to Ash to subsitute a Pokemon, but Brock said that will be bad. I'm confused...........

No, they said nearly the same in the original version.

Well, personally, I enjoyed this episode, but I agree with those who said it wasn't the best gym battle.
Max was cute in this episode, it was nice to see that they don't make every episode like this: "Yay, Ash won the badge, and everybody's happy about it!"
It was an understandable reaction of his, showing that he's not perfect or something after all. I like Max a lot more now, don't know why xD

MayAsh1987
19th March 2005, 7:22 PM
Thanks,
Just wondering, yeah I agree about how Max will react about his dad losing. But hey he's growing up

CyberCubed
19th March 2005, 9:04 PM
I'm sorry to say this: but Max is not my favorite character. At times I can't seem to tolerate him. He's too annoying to me! I know he's 8/9, but still!!! Him always dragging Brock away from a girl. WHY???? What Brock does, what's that got to do with him??

It was worse with Misty dragging Brock away. At least with Max he's a kid so he doesn't understand relationships between people yet as older teens would, so it makes sense. Misty on the other hand had nothing to do with Brocks love life and the like, so she was much more off base than Max.

The Big Al
19th March 2005, 9:05 PM
This was an excellent episode. How could you ask for more. Abilities finally make it ont he scene with Pikachu's Static and Grovyle's Overgrow. The battling was top notch and leads us into an almost superb streak of gym battles (save Golden Pikachu).

Then there was Team Rocket which sucked big time. True they were finally doing there job and making a base in Hoenn. However, Jessie just couldn't leave the Dugtrio alone could she? It has got to be one of their worst episodes.

9 out of 10. TR sucked but other than that, one of the best episodes of Advanced yet.

PDL
19th March 2005, 10:18 PM
I kinda thought this episode was a bit lackluster... considering how much hype you got from this particular gym leader (Norman-maina, the difficulty in the game... etc)

the music was "meh" (the word that should be used for filler battles rather then gym battles) the music was a part of the reason why I wasn't fond of this gym battle... :\

hopefully the next gym battles are hellava lot better then this one :\

The Big Al
19th March 2005, 10:38 PM
One liner of the week

James: Team Rocket does not outsource.

Kamex
19th March 2005, 11:35 PM
Ah, another gym battle.

The animation for this could have been much better. Esspecially since I was expecting this to be a very interesting episode.

Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...

Kind of strange that Slaking didn't "loaf around" or something at all in this episode. I guess it got all of its laziness out last episode, right before it sent Team Rocket flying.

The part with Max being in denial about Norman losing was a nice touch to put at the end, to me. I'm not sure why so many people don't like Max for doing that. Even though I wasn't expecting it, Norman was his idol, so it was understandable that he at first couldn't accept his father's loss.

This episode was okay, but not quite high enough for gym battle standards. I'll have to give it a 7/10. :/

jolteonjak
20th March 2005, 12:36 AM
Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...

Now that you mention it...sounds like the snake from the The Jungle Book cartoon from Disney.

I don't know what it was about this episode...or the fact that I viewed the pictures of it before hand...or read the review, but seeing it didn't do much for me.

I dunno, I tend to base my views of the gym battles against Ash's battle against Clair in "Better Eight Than Never." As of now, its my favorite gym battle that has aired in America. Seeing it didn't measure up.

Oh well, it was much better than Wattson and Roxanne and even Brawly (sorry Phantom Bugsy). I'd say its tied with Flannery's battle right now for me. Let's hope Winona is better on screen (TV) than paper.

Pokemon Fan
20th March 2005, 1:35 AM
Episode name: Balance of Power (an actually okay title for once :o )

Animation: Not the best but well done in a few scenes.

Things of note:

TR spend the whole episode attempting to build an underground secret base. However, since they worked so hard to get money for materials they don't want to work any more and end up spending much of their time arguing over who should work. Everything's ruined when Jesse makes the mistake of kicking a rock at a Dugtrio and the incredibly irritable arcade-game pokemon proceeds to chase them in circles. :-?

Still, James gets a funny line:

James: "Team Rocket is against outsourcing!"

Slakoth, the Matrix Pokemon, runs rings around poor Pikachu without ever actually moving from it's original place.

It seems that in the anime the laziness trait of Slaking, which causes it to skip turns in the game, is actually a benefit in the anime, as it makes it absorb attacks easier, and a good pummelling gets it warmed up to fight more powerfully.

It may be odd but at least it's consistent, as Norman's Vigoroth, despite being incredibly strong, seems to have physical attacks that consist only of an uber Scratch attack (i.e Scratch was the only move it used in its previous vs. Pikachu battle).

Ash has Pikachu take the tactic of letting Vigoroth hit it so it can hang onto and paralyze the hyper sloth using the impact as a stimulant. Nice reflection to the games, though in the anime it appears to be a matter of skill to pull off the Static ability, rather than the 30% success rate of the games (in the anime it seems the pokemon has to be strong enough to take the attack, stay conscious, then allow its internal electricity to flow into the body of the attacker).

Grovyle show's his Charizard-like potential quite well in this episode. Although its attacks did little to Slaking early on, it almost felt like watching a Charizard battle once Overgrow activated. Grovyle of course has a flair for the dramatic, flinching after the classic "final strike" scene to make Slaking think it is about to fall unconscious, only for the huge ape/sloth-thing to realize its internal organs have been eviscerated and to take a needed dirtnap. ^_^

"Overgrow" Grovyle was IMO the coolest part of the episode. The green aura looked great, and its voice even seemed to improve, becoming more "dangerous" sounding. Plus his Leaf Blades doubled in size, reaching Darth Maul lightsaber proportions, which looked VERY cool as he raced at Slaking while Slaking rushed him with Focus Punch. ^_^

Max and May switch maturity levels, as Max reveals in some ways he is just a little kid who thinks his dad is invincible. He actually takes Ash's badge, runs off and locks himself in the greenhouse. Makes you realize, for better or worse, why Norman never let Max (or May) watch the gym battles before. :-( Ash for his part shows amazing maturity, not getting upset and even telling Max he can keep the badge, though I would assume he was thinking Norman would give him another as does technically NEED the badge for the league. Or it was just an attempt at sympathy and reverse psychology, whatever it all worked out. :-)

So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).

<><><>

P.S. Judging by how well Max took it one wonders if the people of North Petalburg will mourn for forty days and nights or commit mass suicide when they find out that Norman not only lost but that it wasn't their beloved Pikachu that ultimately won but rather the Grovyle owned by the trainer they had the nerve to call a "novice." And a part of me wants to believe they did have a frightful reaction. ^_^

Wing
20th March 2005, 2:16 AM
Beh. Dissapointment abound.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to be saying, I liked Max's little bits. At least it puts Max as more than an annoying little sod. Although I do agree that TR's part was totally useless. WHY do they put TR in Gym Episodes? It just slows things down.

Anyway. I suppose in itself the episode was okay, but 'okay' does not cut it in this case. This is a Gym Battle, Gym Battles are all supposed to be a notch ABOVE 'okay'. And even moreso, we've been waiting for this battle for months. There were 2 episodes building up to this one. A Gym Battle that we've been waiting for since the beginning of the Houen saga, that is the end of a 3-parter can NOT be 'okay'. It needs to be more along the lines of 'Total Awesominity'

Grargh. Pro/Cons.

The episode itself:
Pros:
1. Pikachu was REALLY resilient in this battle. I'm actually pretty proud of the little yellow guy. He's been getting better in terms of defnese, and not just offense and speed since Houen started. (See vs. Nosepass, and vs. Torkoal) How cool would it have been if he had stood up to Slaking, and just gone all out, but not able to get a single hit on him, before getting pwnzed by Slaking? (Sorta like His battle with Zippo in the Kanto League, and Bayleef's battle with Blaziken.)

2. Torkoal wiped out Slakoth in one hit. :3 for Torkoal.

3. Grovyle useing Overgrow was an awesome bit.

4. Once again, Max's little bit at the end. I liked it.

Cons:
1. TR. So useless.

2. Torkoal got OHKOed by a SCRATCH? My god, there are so many things wrong with that. I don't care how high Vigiroth's attack is, but you cannot OHKO a Torkoal with a Scratch attack. I know Torkoal needed to come in and be axed quick for plot-related reasons, but my god, could you at least let him keep his dignity and use Slash? >:/

3. I didn't get the part where Grovyle was jumping around. Seriously, I didn't. It looked like someone just threw it in on a whim.

4. The animation in general was lackluster, in my opinion.

5. A Slakoth with Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Blizzard? Ohkay buddy, good luck with that. O_o;

Dub:
Pros:
Decently dubbed I guess, but nothing really stands out. 'Cept mayvbe Max's line about the Elite 4, and James's Outsourcing Line.

Cons:
What is 4Kids problem with Abilities? For gods sake, they totally dodged Slakoth using Truant, and they buthcered Pikachu using static. At least they mostly kept Overgrow intact. :/

All in all rating:
6.7. Okay for a Johto or Kanto filler, but NOT sufficent for a Houen Gym Battle that has this much buildup. I'm dissapointed. I just hope the battle with Winona is better than this.

Kamex
20th March 2005, 2:17 AM
So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).
I was thinking that it was strange that Torkoal was taken out with one Scratch, considering its incredible defense.

Edit: Wing just said the same thing basically, in the post previous to this one.

Wing also likes that part at the end with Max, even though many didn't. I mentioned liking it too, it was definately (sp?) character development. All his praise of his father was just leading up to his breakdown, and he learned something from it.

Puffs
20th March 2005, 3:19 AM
this is the 3rd episode I can think of where they took abilities into account. It was awesome when Grovyle used Leaf Blade with Overgrow in effect. I think this is one of the best Gym battles
Best Gym Battles:
Blaine
Norman
Falkner
Jasmine
Clair
Flannery
Brawly

Yamato-san
20th March 2005, 4:37 AM
about Coatoise being offed with a single Scratch attack, from the looks of things, Yarukimono aimed its attack at Coatoise's belly (something of a weak spot considering the shell there isn't near as thick as the one on its back). In the still-shot of Yarukimono attacking Coatoise, Yarukimono's claw is a bit underneath the turtle while it flies into the air. So Yarukimono most likely accomplished what it did by going for the weak spot.

Bulba the Great!
20th March 2005, 3:18 PM
I wish they had kept the abilities intact!

Anyone notice that in the original, Takeshi talks about Namakero storing up energy with its Truant ability, and then when it evolves to Yarukimono, all the energy is released.

However, in the dub, Brock compliments on Norman's strategy of using the slow Slakoth first, followed by the fast Vigoroth. Any idea why they changed this?

Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

V Faction
20th March 2005, 7:33 PM
Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.
People are disappointed with the animation, the hype surrounding this battle, and Team Rocket's antics. The only reason to get mad from dub lines is caused from their lack of mentioning Truant, but that's stupid.

jolteonjak
20th March 2005, 8:17 PM
Ash: Grovyle, we did it!

Grovyle: Grovyle.

(Translation) Grovyle: Of course.

He's got style.

Geki
20th March 2005, 8:25 PM
This was possibly the best gym battle throughout all of Hoenn in America so far, I loved it. The battle between Ash's Grovyle and Slaking wasn't as great as I thought it would be, but it was still good. I can't believe Ash already has 5 Hoenn badges so far, I can remember when Ash only had like 1.

wobbanut
20th March 2005, 9:38 PM
You know, I'm glad I didn't look at the pictures for this episode once since they were first posted. I totally forgot about Max spazzing out there at the end. I think that was definitely the first time that someone protested about Ash winning a badge completely legitimately (as opposed to Ash's protests about not legitimately winning in "Showdown at Pewter City", "Pokemon Scent-Sation", "A Dairy Tale Ending", and "Watt's with Wattson", and Misty's two separate protests in "The Waterflowers of Cerulean City"). I knew that something had to happen after all the buildup about Ash coming to battle Norman, but Max's reaction was unexpected for me. It certainly made for an interesting dramatic moment.

Great gym battle too. Oh, and I forgot, great line from Jessie and James telling Meowth they don't outsource. Hey, Team Rocket can't be *that* evil. :D

8/10

Juputoru
20th March 2005, 11:59 PM
Pros:
-Overgrow Grovyle
-The unexpected twist of Max running off with the badge
-Many demonstartions of traits. Too bad we really don't see traits in other episodes...

Cons:
-Sorry, TR; You rock and all, but you're almost always useless in Gym Battle episodes.
-We never got to see the Norman-maniac's reaction to his loss.
-Norman's Yami Yugi-ish voice really sounds odd in this ep. I half expected him to say that "It's time to duel!" when the match started. When oh when will the voice actors gain the ability to do more than 5 unique voices?
-Torkoal's quick defeat. Er, I kind of doubt that using a single Flamethrower and Overheat could tire it out THAT much, and a mere Scratch shouldn't damage it anywhere NEAR that much.

Almighty Zard
21st March 2005, 6:45 PM
Pros:
-Overgrow Grovyle
-The unexpected twist of Max running off with the badge
-Many demonstartions of traits. Too bad we really don't see traits in other episodes...

Cons:
-Sorry, TR; You rock and all, but you're almost always useless in Gym Battle episodes.
-We never got to see the Norman-maniac's reaction to his loss.
-Norman's Yami Yugi-ish voice really sounds odd in this ep. I half expected him to say that "It's time to duel!" when the match started. When oh when will the voice actors gain the ability to do more than 5 unique voices?
-Torkoal's quick defeat. Er, I kind of doubt that using a single Flamethrower and Overheat could tire it out THAT much, and a mere Scratch shouldn't damage it anywhere NEAR that much.

let me think on this.
pros.
1.yeah it was okay until he had to act like a showoff.
2.Kinda saw that coming even without looking at the episode pictures.
3.agreed in full.
Cons.
1.Well duh considering they are building a base.
2.They live on the other side of town, and the battle was not televised so how would they know.
3.who cares about the voice acting, sure caroline now sounds like roxanne, but still nothing new there.
4.Oh god...enough about the loss already, the only reason Slakoth was beating pikachu was because it's matrix defense caught it off gaurd and kept on pelting it with strong attacks,and then Norman made the mistake of continuing blizzard on Torkoal when ash switched it in, that knocking slakoth out and then came vigoroth, now Torkoal at the current time is ash's weakest pokemon in terms of levels, and Vigoroth is a trampler do the the math, and it you want to know why i added the whole pikachu/slakoth matter in here was because of the fact that some people will probably use the excuse of,"But Pikachu is stronger than Torkoal and it had to be recalled against slakoth, how could torkaol beat it and then get knocked out easily form vigoroth."

Wing
24th March 2005, 4:55 PM
First off. I disagree with you that Torkoal is Ash's weakest Pokemon in terms of levels. I would have to say that dubious honor belongs to Taillow right now.

Secondly, I don't care how low Torkoal's level is. Pikachu took SEVERAL attacks from both Vigoroth and Slakoth and survived them all. Why don't you compare Pikachu's defense curve with Torkoal's defense curve and get back with me? :/

Besides, we have no idea what level Torkoal was before Ash caught him. From what I saw, you've gotta be at decent level if you wanna survive long in the Valley of Steel.

Trendy_boy87
24th March 2005, 6:46 PM
urm torkoal is ashs weakest pokemon ever its a cry baby and end up injuring ash and may pokemon more than an opponents

Torkoal Stu
24th March 2005, 6:48 PM
urm torkoal is ashs weakest pokemon ever its a cry baby and end up injuring ash and may pokemon more than an opponents

Don't say it like that! I know it cries but It still wins! So na!

Jesse GS the II
24th March 2005, 6:53 PM
Torkoal doesn't cry due to weakness, it cries because that's the only way it knows how to express emotion - sadness, happiness, anger, elation over a victory, whatever.

EDIT: Now for my review...

It isn't easy to stretch a gym battle over an entire episode, especially when all the buildup occured in the episode prior to it. But this one did okay. Animation could have been a higher standard, and I miss that awesome music that played under Grovyle's Overgrow ability in Japan, but still pretty good. They really could have explained the abilities better, though - if they introduced Overgrow, what's wrong with Static and Truant?

It took an interesting turn at the end. Much to my surprise, Amy Birnbaum managed to pull off the scene with about the same level of emotion that Yamada Fushigi did. This was a welcome bit of character development for Max - in spite of his smarts, he's still just a little kid who hates to see his dad lose. In fact, that was probably the perfect way to end this episode.

I think Jessie and James could have been omitted from this episode (but God knows that wouldn't happen) without having made much of a difference. Although they did deliver the classic line "Team Rocket is against outsourcing!"

In all, not bad considering it's the first Hoenn gym battle I've seen firsthand.

aura500
28th March 2005, 12:55 AM
I enjoyed this gym battle, definitly one of the best. but the gym battle I really want to see is the one in fortree city.

Pokemon Fan
31st March 2005, 1:51 AM
First off. I disagree with you that Torkoal is Ash's weakest Pokemon in terms of levels. I would have to say that dubious honor belongs to Taillow right now.

Secondly, I don't care how low Torkoal's level is. Pikachu took SEVERAL attacks from both Vigoroth and Slakoth and survived them all. Why don't you compare Pikachu's defense curve with Torkoal's defense curve and get back with me? :/
I think I agree with Yamato-San as to what makes the most sense about Torkoal's quick defeat. It appears to me that based on this and Flannery's Torkoal their bellies are quite weak to attacks, like an achilles heal. It hasn't been mentioned but has been seen in the anime.

1. Flannery's Torkoal suffered little damage when hit by powerful attacks, not flinching to Iron Tail and Thunder. Corphish also had little luck with its attacks at first.
2. However, when Corphish came up and hit Torkoal from the side, and shot Bubblebeam at its belly, it was instantly knocked out. Perhaps the attack from Vigoroth was similar, also noting that Norman's Vigoroth was supposed to be extremely strong (despite apparently knowing only two attacks). ^_^

As for Pikachu, I might be having a memory blank, but didn't it block or dodge most of Vigoroth's physical blows? The main physical hit I recalled Vigoroth actually delivering was when Pikachu let itself get hit to deliver Static. It also may be important to know that attacks you get hit with while trying to dodge them (as Pikachu) probably do a lot less damage than full frontal hits where you have no time to do anything but stand there in shock (as Torkoal, the poor thing had just released Overheat and had no time to switch to defense against that speed demon).

Anyone notice that in the original, Takeshi talks about Namakero storing up energy with its Truant ability, and then when it evolves to Yarukimono, all the energy is released.

However, in the dub, Brock compliments on Norman's strategy of using the slow Slakoth first, followed by the fast Vigoroth. Any idea why they changed this?
The important thing I think is the lines were illustrating how contrasting the two Pokemon were. To me at least the dub's line about Norman confusing opponents by using Pokemon with vastly different fighting styles made more sense than the one that was supposedly in the Japanese version. I mean, it isn't as though Vigoroth could actually live off the energy stored from Slakoth forever. Energy is finite and it would eventually run out, just like any adult insect that lives for only a few weeks surviving entirely off food stored from its younger stages. The energy from Slakoth probably just helps support its newly active body until it can fully adjust. Of course, this is extreme speculation concerning a speedy sloth that can breath fire. ^_^

vulpix
31st March 2005, 7:27 PM
yay!Ash gets a Balance Badge!!But i don't likethe fact that Max gets all emotional that his dad lost and locked himself in his dads greenhouse.hey atleast we know Max will eventually become a pokemon trainer.

DarkWobbuffet
4th April 2005, 3:50 AM
One of the best episodes to date! Pikachu finally got his rematch against Vigoroth, Torkoal kicked some Slakoth butt and was obiovusly quite happy from it, and Grovyle's fight against Slaking was truely excellent. I like how they purposely knocked out Pikachu after he beat Vigoroth so the battle between Grovyle and Slaking would be even from the start. I also enjoyed that bit at the end where Max was having such a hard time accepting his father's loss, that added a nice bit of character development.

Over a 10/10er. ^_^

MTC
17th April 2005, 9:06 AM
What was going on with the shot zooming in on Max's face while Caroline's voice was talking about Slaking, I can't quite work that out.

Good episode overall, I always like Gym Battles, the constant One-hit KOs were a bit annoying though.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
17th April 2005, 10:36 AM
I loved the battle and the use of static and overgrow but what was the point in team rocket in this ep?

Factory Head Noland
17th April 2005, 10:57 AM
This battle was great but what was replaced with "OK!" was creppy background music, it should've been something more exciting!

Team Rocket were trying to built a secret base under the Gym for the Team Rocket Hoenn branch but the Dugtrio chased them, lol.

Overall - 8.2/10.0
Bad battle music let it down.

Sharpshooter
17th April 2005, 11:32 AM
This battle was great but what was replaced with "OK!" was creppy background music, it should've been something more exciting!

Yeah the music sucked, that's certainly something the Kanto and Orange Island gym matche's scored better than over the Hoenn ones.

In any case despite that, this is has been my favourite gym match thus far (dub only) just pipping the post to Flannery's one. I thought it was a very good technical battle, Slakoth did suprisingly well at the beginning, outmatching Pikachu with it's speed attacks. I'm glad it was Grovyle against Slaking at the end, probably the best part, Grovyle was so close to being floored until it gotta the better of Leaf blade versus Focus punch.

The Hitman Bret Hart's finishing move the Sharpshooter's rating - 8.5/10

KaiX
17th April 2005, 12:52 PM
i Liked this episode.
Slaking had a surpisingly good moveset.
EQ,FP,HB etc..
very impressive overall. Max was a bit of a crybaby...refusing to let Ash have the badge.

Transducer
20th April 2005, 12:16 AM
I really loved this episode. One of the best Hoenn gym battle episodes I've ever seen so far. I really liked the ending part when Grovyle and Slaking striked simutaneously and then Slaking ended up going down. I actually did a slow motion of this and as I looked closely, I saw Grovyle actually slashing Slaking's ribs (ouch!) And yeah Max crying like a "wittle baby" really got me a bit sick but meh, daddy's boy -_-;;

My rating: 8.6/10

Hales
20th April 2005, 8:27 AM
Was Norman impressed with the win? I know he'd take it in his stride but did he seem impressed with any of Ash's moves?

Meant to ask this question way back when you guys saw it but I forgot.

MaskedManAbsolkid
20th April 2005, 5:18 PM
I really liked this episode compared to other gym battles.
But the thing I loved the most was when the dugtrio chased Team Rocket! That was one of the few moments I laughed in AG.

9/10.

Pokemon Fan
22nd April 2005, 4:51 PM
Was Norman impressed with the win? I know he'd take it in his stride but did he seem impressed with any of Ash's moves?

Meant to ask this question way back when you guys saw it but I forgot.
He was suprised when Torkoal knocked out Slakoth with a single Flamethrower (blasted it right into his arms unconscious), but otherwise was quite confident, cool and collected. He even called Ash's Grovyle's Bullet Seed too weak to arouse Slaking's interest, and later told Ash he should give up the match because Grovyle was too weakenned to stand a chance of winning. Ash sided with Grovyle who beleived he could still win and then Overgrow activated. Till then Grovyle was at quite a disadvantage in everything but speed, Slaking even grabbed it in mid Leaf Blade and tossed it aside like it was nothing.

Hales
22nd April 2005, 11:42 PM
He was suprised when Torkoal knocked out Slakoth with a single Flamethrower (blasted it right into his arms unconscious), but otherwise was quite confident, cool and collected. He even called Ash's Grovyle's Bullet Seed too weak to arouse Slaking's interest, and later told Ash he should give up the match because Grovyle was too weakenned to stand a chance of winning. Ash sided with Grovyle who beleived he could still win and then Overgrow activated. Till then Grovyle was at quite a disadvantage in everything but speed, Slaking even grabbed it in mid Leaf Blade and tossed it aside like it was nothing.
Thanks Pokemon Fan, meanwhile I expected 'cool' or 'what the heck' when Grovyle finally did beat Slaking :)

Torkoal Stu
23rd April 2005, 10:09 AM
Ok! I didn't think the music was crap but I ahven't seen the original.

Good Points!
*Torkoal's Action.
*Grovlye's Overgrow.
*Pikachu's Stacic.
*Slacking's voice.
*The whole battle between Slacking and Grovlye.
*Max's thing at the end.
*Slakoth's attacks shadow ball, blizzard, hidden power ect.

Bad Points
*Slakoth's voice didnt't suite him.
*Vigiroth and Pikachu's battle was slightly lame due to them drawing.
*Slakoth getting knocked out in one hit.
*The music wan't to good.

9.5/10

Very good episode!

Is Norman's voice the same as Yugi's(Yami and yugi have the same voice! Well same person!) from yu-gi-oh?

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
23rd April 2005, 10:17 AM
i dont think so Torky

Good ep!

9/10

Torkoal Stu
23rd April 2005, 10:24 AM
I checked he was Yugi/Yami who are played by the same person.

xSpiritedAwayx
27th June 2005, 10:42 PM
vigoroth and grovyle were very good!!!

Daigo
9th July 2005, 3:41 AM
I like this episode a lot. Norman is one of my favorite characters, he is both kind and hot!

JoHn_C
24th July 2005, 7:41 AM
Slaking was in control of the match but then Grovyle kept on attacking and then he learned the move Over Grown which was soo cool! Norman's the best!

lightspeed
5th March 2006, 9:30 AM
This was one of the best episodes with Grovyle in it, Grovyle did really well, but it should have used more attacks to faint slaking. It was also really cool when it used overgrow. Grovyle is the best!

◘Ins0mnIac◘
27th June 2006, 1:49 AM
Max is such a b*tch in this episode. lol It's sorta weird and sorta funny cuz he's like a spoiled brat. ftw @ Slakoth avoiding everything. Sorta odd.

TotodileCharizard
27th June 2006, 2:19 AM
Yeah, Max was a total crybaby in this episode, I would've gone "Shut up and gimme my badge ya big cry baby!" Anyways, I liked the battle between Slaking and Grovyle the most....it was awesome when he used his ability, yeah.

munchlaxboy
27th June 2006, 2:23 AM
Yeah, Max is woosie and should never have journeyed with Ash, May, and Brock. The little dufus has no point in the show, acts stupid, and has no Pokemon. Anyway, pretty good eppy. It looked like Slaking had heartburn when it fell down and lost. LOL

TotodileCharizard
27th June 2006, 2:25 AM
LOL he did. It was awesome cause Grovyle was like KABOOM and yeah...I dunno. I didn't like the idea of Max traveling with them either, but yeah, it was cool that Slakoth kept dodging all of Pikachu's attacks 0_o

Illegible
27th June 2006, 2:28 AM
No, this episode clearly shows the sad Ash supremacy...my sister and I were very aggrivated when we see Grovyle+SLaking clearly direct hit each other with Leaf Blade+Focus Punch. Even though Overgrowth made Leaf Blade potentially strong enough to beat Slaking, there is no way that Grovyle, after already have been severely injured, could have survived that. They could at least have made it a tie...and the Slakoth+Vigoroth battle scenes seemed rushed...this would have been better as a two-parter...

Zora
27th June 2006, 2:32 AM
Well, this episode was one today. The battle was really good. Also the TR scene where Jessie and James put the box over Meowth and they said "the (can't remember) have voted you off." The name was something bad, lower working, kind-of-name. Max had a purpose before. In the first episodes he used the Pokenav too help them navigate for a bit. Then Brock came back and he helped them with his written maps.

There is my two cents.

Caseydia
23rd January 2007, 6:25 PM
The truth was that Max seems so smart and mature all the time but in reality his is just a kid like they all are. Some people need to give him a break. In the last two episodes behind this one, Ash seemed pretty distant in his ownself while everyone dramatized about a bunch of nonsense. And when he gave Max the badge, he seemd to have grown or was still in his own world.

Battra
4th June 2007, 11:00 PM
Very good episode the Battle between Norman and Ash was excellent, I can see why max really looks up to his father. Nice to see Max mature a little in this episode even if he didn't want to except that his father lost, but that's why Norman never let his kids watch him battle cause he knew something like this might happen. Also nice to see that TR didn't interfere this time I guess they learned their lesson last episode to stay away from Norman and his family.

Mileyangel
24th June 2007, 9:59 PM
God. In this episode Max acted like some whiney school boy b*tch. If I were Ash, I would have kicked open the door, punched him, and said, "Give me my badge, you little punk." However This is one of my fave episodes of all time. I don't really pay attention to the music, so if it was crappy, I didn't notice it.

Eagledawn
17th May 2008, 12:18 AM
Ash has no skills. It would've been cool to see Norman win. But, anyway, the whole Overgrown thing was pretty neat. I'd like to see more abilities being used.
I can understand Max, though. Seeing his father battle for the first time and then seeing him lose...I wouldn't react the same way, of course, but I would have been upset, too. I do hope we see more of Norman in future episodes, though.

pokeguru
3rd October 2008, 6:22 AM
Stupid Max...

Why did he have to be a jerk like that!!

Tadashi
9th October 2008, 2:03 AM
Ugh, I can't stand that damned ugly Slaking. When it was shown on the screen, I think I threw up a little bit. The battle was pretty cool, but my favorite part was when Max got upset. I mean, he idolizes his dad, so it's hard to see him lose. Yes it's childish, but it's also touching to see how much he loves his dad.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 6:02 AM
This was a pretty good gym battle. It seemed terribly hard like it does in the game.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:51 AM
i liked watching this gym battle, it was a tough one to beat was it?

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 2:11 AM
I like Norman, he's a great gym leader and father ^_^

ryodragonite
22nd September 2009, 1:28 AM
this episode makes me hate max even more what a baby
p.s. slaking rules!!

Ash-kid
7th December 2009, 6:19 PM
Great gym battle.
I really loved Slaking's power, it was very strong.
And max taking Ash's badge wasn't nice, max was very sad.

Lorde
8th December 2009, 10:47 AM
This Gym battle episode was surprisingly good. We got a great Gym battle since Norman didn't go easy on Ash, and Ash fought hard against Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking. I dislike how Max took the badge and started crying near the end of the episode though. He's just so annoying sometimes. He'll never make a good trainer if he doesn't learn to let things go. 5 badges for Ash though, cool. 8/10.

firestar319
25th February 2010, 6:36 AM
Really awesome gym battle, especially Grovyle vs Slaking. Love the way how Overgrow looked (especially since you don't see it nowadays). Max was extremely annoying the entire episode.
Epic battle + Max annoyance = 7/10

NES
25th February 2010, 9:11 AM
I wonder how Grovyle could take so many hits from Slaking, one would think it is very powerful o_O and it would tear Grovyle apart with one.

Yet, this was one of the best gym battles in Hoenn, i like this episode. I dislike Max crying, but after all he is just a kid and he has Norman as his hero, so it couldn't be easy for the boy.

Antiyonder
16th May 2010, 9:12 AM
I'm definitely in the camp that wasn't bothered with Max's behavior. Even if he's smart for his age, he is still a kid afterall. Now I could understand the criticism if it came out of nowhere, but the episodes leading up to it did make his stance clear.

Plus he's shown crying before the commercial break, so it's certainly not left field.

saar
30th June 2010, 7:45 PM
The battle was great. Slaking being defeated by Grovyle was great to watch, it reminds me the battle between Treecko and Hariyama, which was better, but this one was good aswell.

The best part was with Max at the end.

KGB13
13th August 2010, 11:17 PM
I enjoyed this episode and the Gym battle, Norman was a tough opponent. The only part I disliked was when Max wouldn't give Ash his badge. I understand that his father is his hero and seeing him lose must have been hard to except, but he should know better than to do something like that.

Overall, great episode.

G50
4th March 2011, 5:57 AM
This episode was cool. I really liked this gym battle, it was great! It was odd that they didn't show Slakoth and Slaking's abilities... The battle between Pikachu and Vigoroth was really cool, I'm glad Pikachu won that battle. Grovyle vs Slaking was great! It was great to see the Overgrow ability for the 1st time, and it helping Grovyle win the battle. I'm glad Ash won this gym battle. It was cool to see Pikachu's ability Static.

99/100

Antiyonder
3rd November 2011, 10:25 PM
I get that kids in the anime tend to be more level headed than they should (Such as Ash putting unnecessary pressure on Treecko for the second Gym Badge.), but when alls said and done, Max is still a little boy who at this point looks upon to his father the most.

And it's not like it came out of nowhere. Anytime that the group discussed the upcoming rematch, Max without hesitancy believed Ash had no chance.

Besides, it gives this episode something more for viewers to discuss.

OnceUponATime
19th December 2011, 12:07 AM
Definitely one of the best Gym battles in Hoenn. Max was getting a little annoying and at the end he was just dumb. I understand he is just a kid, I think I just stole Iris's line, but it was still dumb... Besides Max, it was a really great episode!I loved Torkoal getting a win because that doesn't happen very often and even though it was a puny Slakoth and even though it was quickly taken out by Vigoroth...

Zoru Kuraido
1st May 2012, 5:06 AM
The battle started nice. But the final match was ruined by the slow animation...
I actually liked Masato's reaction. It reminds me of those kids who have their heart crushed when they see their idols losing for the first time.

3D992
1st May 2012, 5:10 AM
I liked that ash was mature enough to offer the badge to max. One of the few mature ash moments of the anime.

Vernikova
10th July 2012, 1:56 AM
lmao at Torkoal getting one-shot by a Scratch attack. It was just another Grovyle hyping battle really to showcase its new battling abilities as a Grovyle. I like the use of Grovyle's ability that doesn't get used on a consistent basis. Likewise with Pikachu's ability for that matter. Why he doesn't use them more consistently I'll never know.

7threst
29th September 2012, 6:18 PM
Perhaps it wasn't the best gym battle we could have hoped for, but I did think they still did a solid job with it. The KO was just stupid, but I did like the last battle with Grovyle and that was probably the highlight of this episode. Team Rocket's role in this episode was meant to be humorous, but it really didn't do that and therefore, there role became pointless in this one.