PDA

View Full Version : Grass Hysteria! (349)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:50 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/349.jpgGrass Hysteria!

After being kidnapped by a Skarmory, May meets & saves a Bulbasaur from falling off a cliff to get a flower. She wonders where she is. Ash & Co. meanwhile are trying to get into the forest to find May. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/349.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 4:29 PM
How cute is Bulbasaur in that picture??
It was weird when May got kidnapped by that Skarmory...some Skarmory are just jerks! It was great to see all of those Grass Pokemon.

Shiny May
25th October 2004, 8:49 PM
I thought it was kinda funny to see Skarmory flying off with may

Also the heroic Ash who saves May is also very sweet to look at. Just the way how Ash grabs May quickly. Adorable !! :D

I also found the ending very touching. Just the look on May and Bulbasaur's face. Truly a wonderful episode.

King Shuckle
23rd December 2004, 5:40 AM
My Predicted Dub Titles:
~Flower Power!(Famous phrase)
~The Young & the Forestless (Young & the Restless)
~The King & May (From "The King & I")

Jamie Armstrong
24th December 2004, 2:27 AM
can somone please tell me when this episode comes to uk please ?

i am gagging to see it cos as you can all probably guess i love bulbasaur and my 2nd fave charater catching one is awsome so will somone please tell me if they know or if they have any pictures of mays bulbasaur please show me :) thank you

Yellow
24th December 2004, 3:24 AM
I want this episode to air in the US. I also want to see Bulbasaur's new voice, if it's not like Ash's. Venusaur hasn't been showed since like mid Johto so this will be a treat.

Jesse GS the II
5th April 2005, 1:39 AM
How much you want to bet 4Kids cuts this episode's "bii~da" gag? They've already done it to "A Ruin With a View" and "The Bicker, The Better".

V Faction
5th April 2005, 1:54 AM
How much you want to bet 4Kids cuts this episode's "bii~da" gag? They've already done it to "A Ruin With a View" and "The Bicker, The Better".
Well then that's not really a fair bet then, is it?

PDL
5th April 2005, 8:33 PM

mind telling what the "bii~da" gag is?

I'm not familair with the Japanese verison...

V Faction
5th April 2005, 10:18 PM
mind telling what the "bii~da" gag is?

I'm not familair with the Japanese verison...
The whole "pull down a lower eye lid and stick out the tongue" thingy.

Jesse GS the II
9th April 2005, 4:37 PM
You know, that wasn't all that bad of an episode. It was certainly nice to see all those Grass-types again. That's another area where Hoenn succeeds and Johto doesn't - Pokémon variety.

Bulbasaur's dub voice is actually more distinct than I thought they'd make it. It does sound feminine, though still grounded in the voice we're used to hearing. Venusaur, on the other hand, didn't sound quite right today.

Much to my surprise, they kept the bii~da thing after all (with Jessie's dub line "Let me give you a tongue-in-cheek response!", which I suppose was an attempt to justify it). In other Team Rocket news, I wonder what James was saying in the Japanese version that resulted in such a long dub line at the start of the motto. And Wobbuffet spinning around on that little door was hilarious - I burst out laughing the first time I saw that. It's all in the timing, I suppose.

So May finally has Bulbasaur in America! I suppose all we have to do now is wait for Torchic and Taillow to evolve...

CyberCubed
9th April 2005, 4:38 PM
May's Bulbasaur doesn't have exactly the same voice as Ash's as far as I can tell. It sounds similar, but it's not as deep. Maybe in the next episode we can compare the voices accurately, but for now May's Bulbasaur does sound a bit different.

It was a good episode, been awhile since the writers had a lust for attacking grass pokemon again, especially the ever showcased Oddish, who's been in a billion episodes as a backround pokemon.

The scenes with Ash and May reflecting on Bulbasaur were great. Ash saying it reminded him of his Bulbasaur was a nice touch. Veronica Taylor once again did a good job, she made Ash sound more aggressive in this episode while making May sound more concerned for the pokemon.

This ep seemed like another Ash and May bonding moment, right after the Tag battle match ep too. I'm still debating whether the writers gave May Bulbasaur just to have one more thing for her and Ash to have in common or not, it had to be done more than just to promote FR/LG.

I also liked the ending moment where Bulbasaur jumped into May's arms, thank goodness they didn't pull another Swablu! (Which she better find and capture that thing one day)

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
9th April 2005, 4:39 PM
OMG, TR was awesome in this episode! "James, stop this crazy thing!" XD XD. Wobuffet on the revolving door was LOLness, and ROFL when he blasted off with it. "Jessie! James-ie!" That was great! Finally, TR doing something good for an episode.
Other than TR, this episode was pretty good. Venusaur was great, voice and animation. Bulbasaur's voice was a little bit more high-pitched that I expected, but meh. Some reapppearances from some forgotten Grass Pokémon, too, I see. Great! The Poochyena were a good addition as guard dogs.
Hm, some rebellion from the guys of the gang. I like that!

Overall rating:
9.8 out of 10!!!!
An excellent capture episode. Bulbasaur is a great addition to the team, too.

SC~ out

MidnightScott
9th April 2005, 4:45 PM
Yay! May got a Bulbasaur! The Grass Episodes have always been like the ones from the past, where its a Hidden Forest. Anyway, I'm so glad she got another Pokémon ^_^ Next week, Ash will get his back!

-Scott-

Overall Rating: 9.8/10

V Faction
9th April 2005, 4:53 PM
Holy Shitskis! I presummed wrong about the Bulbasaur voice. But that's what's so good about low expectation: it's more pleasent when you're wrong.

I agree about the Venusaur comment. I really really miss the old, sorta-first-season voice, where it was deeper and almost like a roar. This one is more like the Ivysaur voice, with that crackiness in its voice.

Also, weird thing. I only caught half of the episode. Looks like Friday is what I need.

The Big Al
9th April 2005, 4:55 PM
*Adds Mean Old Lady to Ugly Mechs to Squash with a Gundum List*

The Advancedshippers are going to eat this one up.

The best part of Team Rocket. Wobbafett spinning in the door, "Jamesie", at last, an episode I can actually laugh at them.

Heracross
9th April 2005, 5:23 PM
Holy Shitskis! I presummed wrong about the Bulbasaur voice. But that's what's so good about low expectation: it's more pleasent when you're wrong.
Indeed. I was pleasantly surprised that they made an effort to distinguish it's voice from all the other ones we've seen.

The bad part was that Venusaur's voice was as predicted. :/ I was really hoping for it to sound like the one in "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" but oh well, it could have been worse.

Pika Hikari KT
9th April 2005, 5:24 PM
Yay; May got a Bulbasaur! And she's SO KAWAII~! I did notice that her voice was slightly higher than Ash's Bulba; especially when she did that Razor Leaf.;) Venusaur's voice did seem a bit different than usual, but it also had a wider range of emotions.:) This week's TR robot was one of their weirder ones...Big Al is right though: it SHOULD be pwned via Gundam. Or maybe a Megazord.:p 8.5/10...Bulba and Bulby unite next eppie!*marks out*

Medea
9th April 2005, 6:28 PM
This was a cute episode IMO. May got a Bulbasaur! The last few minutes of the episode was just so touching! Anyways, it's great to see a Bulbasaur on the show again. I really miss Ash's Bulbasaur.

Brocksketchum
9th April 2005, 7:19 PM
Team Rocket was saying a lot of lady quotes in their mecha today. I can't recall any of them, though.

For a moment I thought Skarmony was going to eat May! Ah, silly me.

Yes, I have to comment about Wobbuffet's flip door appearance. What kind of creative pop-out will they think of next?

I, too, can't wait to see next week's episode.

Emma Iveli
9th April 2005, 7:35 PM
I love this episode, it was so cute. I also liked it was covered in grass types. Cute!

Pallet Champ
9th April 2005, 7:41 PM
Me too, I can't wait for next week's episode when Bulbasaur, de Bulbasaur to return the show even if it's 1 episode. I hope Ash brings him back at the Hoenn League.

Kanto Trio
9th April 2005, 9:33 PM
Man I hadn’t seen Pokemon for a while. Anyways, this is a pretty good episode. I really liked the beginning where they get lost in the woods and meet hooded people. The Bulbasaur was really cute. I thought the end was kind of sad to.

Rating – 10/10

Kamex
10th April 2005, 12:04 AM
Nice episode, although not too much happened besides May catching Bulbasaur.

While I'm talking about May, though, am I the only one who thought I heard her say "strip mall"? >_>

Bulbasaur's voice did thankfully sound more female than usual, but at times it seemed more like a young voice, rather than a female's.

This place seems a whole lot like Bulbasaur's mysterious garden (the garden, not the episode), esspecially with the Venusaur King, and the huge gate guarding the place. But there are quite a few differences, like only 1 Bulbasaur, and all the other grass Pokemon. And the village of people close by.

"Mean Old Lady", heh.

Wobbufet's door thing was funny, and James' "Jamesie", like others mentioned.

I rate this episode 7/10.

MayAsh1987
10th April 2005, 1:01 AM
I really liked this episode. Everything been surprising me lately. Bulbasaur sounds a little bit like Larvitar, and Venasaur sounds to me like Rapheal from Yu-gi-oh or its just me. Don't know. Anyways, Team Rocket was funny, I started laughing when Wobbufett popped around, that was funny. Ash and May were great, I like the little bonding part at the cliff and telling Bulbasaur about the towns and traveling.

Not bad, good, I rate this 8.5 out of 10.

stigy
10th April 2005, 1:05 AM
Great episode. But why couldn't TR just have crushed Ash and Co instead of doing their motto?

CyberCubed
10th April 2005, 1:12 AM
While I'm talking about May, though, am I the only one who thought I heard her say "strip mall"? >_>

I heard her say "strip mall" too, and a dirty thought crossed my mind as she said that, knowing May's character and all.

Kamex
10th April 2005, 1:20 AM
I heard her say "strip mall" too, and a dirty thought crossed my mind as she said that, knowing May's character and all.
Yeah, and it's strange. The only other thing I could think of that she may have said was "street mall", but I have no idea if those 2 words even exist together like that.

Bulbasaur sounds a little bit like Larvitar, and Venasaur sounds to me like Rapheal from Yu-gi-oh or its just me. Don't know.
Yeah, I thought Bulbasaur sounded like Larvitar, too. And same with the Venusaur thing. But I was thinking Don Krieg (sp?) from One Piece. I guess all 3 of them have the same voice actor.

Pokeballs
10th April 2005, 1:37 AM
Yeah, and it's strange. The only other thing I could think of that she may have said was "street mall", but I have no idea if those 2 words even exist together like that.

There are such things as strip malls, it's like little strips of a mall :p not a mall for stripping >.>

Kamex
10th April 2005, 1:42 AM
There are such things as strip malls, it's like little strips of a mall :p not a mall for stripping >.>
Oh. ^^

That makes sense. Sorry, I just don't think I've ever heard of "strip malls" before, so what did you expect me to think?

Paden
10th April 2005, 2:05 AM
It was funny when Team Rocket blasts off because Wobbufet was still stuck to the door.

Jesse GS the II
10th April 2005, 3:15 AM
Wow, people have never heard of strip malls before? They're generally the same length as a regular mall, though only one-story and a little compact.

I've discovered that a lot of people here are weird. It's to be expected.

PDL
10th April 2005, 4:07 AM
The whole "pull down a lower eye lid and stick out the tongue" thingy.

ah-cha, so that's what it's called

it's very easy to tell it's an insult, even if it is a "japanese only" one, it's been done in anime countless times

anyway, abouts the episode, I found it kinda "meh"

May's conversation with bulbasaur was kinda amusing, as was Team Rocket's Old Lady robot

Kanadian Kyuubi
10th April 2005, 2:17 PM
9.7 out of 10,
The new bulbasaur kinda reminded me of Larvitar (you remember him, don't you?), I've never seen Oddish's and Sunflora's mad before, but still cute (we also saw all 3 cottenweed evos, hoppip, skiploom and jumpluff).

One more thing, Mecha Mean Old Lady Mach 1 was great name for newest mecha. Wobuffet's turn out compartment was pretty funny (make it an avatar!!!).

wobbanut
10th April 2005, 9:39 PM
Well, after five straight great/pretty good episodes, they were bound to have an episode that wasn't as great. I really liked bulbasaur, and I'm glad it and May bonded in the episode (and I'm glad to see May catch a new pokemon after what happened with swablu a while back), but the main plot wasn't all that great. The real highlights of the episode for me was Ash going to rescue May (*chants* I'm a contestshipper, I'm a contestshipper *chants* Okay, so the Ash/May stuff was nice, but I'd hate to get torn between two ships for one person like I was with Xena) and Wobbuffet's many cameos. :D It was cute how Wobbuffet kept appearing from the turning door. LOL

Kamex
10th April 2005, 10:42 PM
I've discovered that a lot of people here are weird. It's to be expected.
Er...just because I've never heard of strip malls, doesn't mean I'm weird. O_o

Robert
11th April 2005, 10:15 PM
The episode wasn't very good. I thought it was a bit odd how they often referred to the "wrath of the grass Pokemon" when most of the ones they showed were not especially powerful. I didn't like how Venasaur's voice was almost lighter than Bulbasaur's voice, either. And I'm glad May has another Pokemon, but we've had a Bulbasaur as part of the crew for over 200 episodes... On the bright side of things, I liked some of Wobbuffet's random entries and Ash holding May. I also liked Bulbasaur and his flower... That's a great picture.

But why couldn't TR just have crushed Ash and Co instead of doing their motto?

That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw that scene... 0__o

Geodude
12th April 2005, 1:48 AM
And Wobbuffet spinning around on that little door was hilarious - I burst out laughing the first time I saw that.
Agreed, agreed. XD I just finally saw this ep in English.

Kanadian Kyuubi
15th April 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm just wondering if the Poochyena were dubbed, because when I heard their shadow ball cry, it sounded like they were actually saying "Poooochey--ena!!".

V Faction
15th April 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm just wondering if the Poochyena were dubbed, because when I heard their shadow ball cry, it sounded like they were actually saying "Poooochey--ena!!".
Nope. If they are, then that's one soft voice being used.

Jesse GS the II
16th April 2005, 12:41 AM
Isn't Poochyena's Japanese name Pochiena anyway?

Pika Hikari KT
16th April 2005, 1:57 AM
Yeah; Poochyena basically kept its Japanese name...and I heard them saying their name when throwing the Shadow Balls.

vulpix
17th April 2005, 3:01 AM
you know the only reasoni like this episode is because of how cute Bulbasaur was!

Blackcat88
22nd April 2005, 10:34 PM
i noticed that no one has mentioned this......there were no Hoenn grass type pokemon in that entire garden. unless i missed something, it was nothing but a bunch of Skiploom, Sunflora, and oddish (and respective evolutions). this just seems odd to me since, duh, the gang's in Hoenn. wouldn't there have been at least one Hoenn pokemon in there? otherwise, this was a nice episode.

i also noticed another thing. some people have mentioned that Advanced shippers would like this episode. while i guess i would have to agree, i would also have to burst their bubble (sorry :P) since Brock and Max showed as much concern as Ash did (so hey, everyone can claim it as evidence of this or that ship :) ).

xyzman123
5th May 2005, 1:13 AM
Ahhhhhh *Faints in the sight of all the Grass type Pokemon* :D

Torkoal Stu
8th May 2005, 11:28 AM
i noticed that no one has mentioned this......there were no Hoenn grass type pokemon in that entire garden. unless i missed something, it was nothing but a bunch of Skiploom, Sunflora, and oddish (and respective evolutions). this just seems odd to me since, duh, the gang's in Hoenn. wouldn't there have been at least one Hoenn pokemon in there? otherwise, this was a nice episode.

Yeah no Shroumish ect. But the end was kinda wierd. If I didn't know what was gonna happen I would of though another Swablu sinaerio.

However Team Rocket's machine was funny. But seeing all those grass types from Johto was good and a Vensaur Yay!

8/10 alright i guess.

Factory Head Noland
8th May 2005, 11:37 AM
Just watched this episode.

This was such a great episode, I never watched the Japanese version of this so it was all a surprise.
I love Bulbasaur, May's Bulbasaur is so kawaii! It's such a great addition to her team.

I thought it was wierd about the Grass type Pokemon aswell, they could've thrown in a Treecko, Shroomish and a Seedot in there somewhere.

Overall: 9.5/10
I love Bulbasaur, this episode was excellent and Grass types rock!

Sasuke.
8th May 2005, 12:16 PM
I thought this ep was great too ^
First off the bat I just love grass pokemon so it would always be good, not to mention Hoenn is my least favourite gen so I didn't even notice they were missing :p Ash and May holding hands was cute, Venusaur using solar beam was awesome =| continuty!-Wobuffet was still attatched to that revolving door when they blasted off! Overall 8/10

Some little things to clear up though as always ... Ash jumped off that 20ft fence? o_0; I'd have expected him to be lying at the bottom with two broken legs when the rest of the gang followed him later on. Also the pokemon all seemed to be able to understand human despite never having been in contact with any, remember, it's forbidden. And does anyone know what happened to Skarmory?

Geki
16th August 2005, 2:52 AM
The episode was pretty cool, I like May's new Bulbasaur. I knew Venusaur was going to use Solarbeam on TR too!!

7/10

Team Rocket Admin
16th August 2005, 3:04 AM
Venusaur was awesome in this episode.

Transducer
18th August 2005, 7:24 AM
Nice episode. It's great May got a Bulbasaur, it definetely suits her. Plus I really liked that flower scene between May and Ash, it was too cute! ^^;;

Anyways, I give this ep 8.7/10

Blaziken master
23rd August 2005, 9:14 PM
I mainly loved this episode because of venusaur.He's so cool!

ShinyManafi
25th December 2006, 4:53 AM
Great episode! I really liked it, a bit too much grass pokemon though;)

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 9:11 AM
This was a very good episode. Bulbasaur is great Pokemon for May. I also loved that Skarmory.

(s.i.e)
27th January 2009, 3:27 PM
hm bulbasaur is indeed a great pokemon for may, i liked the episode 8/10.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:34 PM
I really loved it that Bulbasuar joins May..i like her heart shaped dot on her head

Ash-kid
13th January 2010, 11:59 AM
Bulbasaur was amazing... May was very smart when she took it.

And I loved to see a Skarmory.

9/10

Lorde
15th January 2010, 9:37 PM
I really didn't like how Skarmory was protrayed. It's always the badguy. How does a person get kidnapped by a bird anyway?

Weird beginning aside, I liked that this particular Bulbasaur was special. It had heart shaped marks on his forehead. It's easy to tell it apart from others of its species.

Liked that May good character development while the boys were trying to get inside the reserve. 6/10

Willow's Tara
9th May 2010, 5:02 AM
Kira' Winona's Skarmory makes more for that (And it's first debut in Hoenn does as well)

Great episode, nice to see May capture Bulbasaur. How did those people not see a Skarmony carrying a girl into the garden? I don't think they should have prevented Ash and co getting in their, those guys didn't seem to care at all that May was trapped in there.

saar
4th July 2010, 8:55 PM
Bulbasaur being captured by May was pretty surprising in the first time i have seen it. I thought May will have only one starter. Besides, there were many Grass pokemon, but she captured the Bulbasaur.

I don't know why the old man didn't want to give her Bulbasaur.- It wasn't belong to him.

KGB13
14th August 2010, 12:11 AM
This episode was OK.

I liked that Bulbasaur had a unique pattern on it's head, made it stand out. I'm also glad that it went with May.

G50
4th March 2011, 7:14 AM
This episode was cool. It was great to see a female Bulbasaur for the 1st time, it definitely loves flowers. It was bizarre to see May get carried away and dropped onto the cliff. I'm glad May got that Female Bulbasaur, she definitely suits May. It was cool to see a lot of Grass Pokemon shown in this episode, many haven't been shown in a long time.

49/100

Vernikova
12th July 2012, 8:48 PM
To keep this short, this episode hurt my head. A lot. It was just a series of bad decisions after another and the end of the episode was so badly paced I couldn't really stand watching anymore. That's all I will say in the matter at hand.

7threst
30th September 2012, 8:38 AM
I really liked to see May capturing Bulbasaur. I never seen this episode before so it was quite nice to see how May captured it. Around this time, I started to miss more episodes frequently so seeing some of the episodes I never saw is really great.

Painkiller2001
6th November 2014, 7:53 AM
Wait, people thought Ash showing concern for May is a shipping hint?
What won't you people claim as evidence? :rolleyes:

Cool, i wasn't the only one that thought the mark on Bulbasaur's head looked like a heart.
Awesome that May got that Bulbasaur in the end. :)

Lorde
28th November 2014, 6:40 AM
I thought it was cute how May saved Bulbasaur from falling down the cliff as it was picking a flower. I screamed when that ratchet Sunflora attacked May and I was pleased to see May put her Torchic to good use. All those Grass-types ganging up on Ash and friends were creepy and I was actually partly glad that Team Rocket caused them some trouble.