PDA

View Full Version : Me, Myself and Time (352)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:55 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/352.jpgMe, Myself and Time

After meeting a girl and her Baltoy, Ash decides to help her find some Ruins that she is looking for. However a mysterious stranger appears and wants to help. Is she all she says she is?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/352.shtml)

Discuss

King Shuckle
17th January 2005, 8:04 PM
I have deided to only put 1 predicted dub title from now one since it's easier for me
~Baltoying With Your Emotions

Caseydia
18th April 2005, 5:22 PM
This is going to be an interesting episode. The girl looks so cute but Baltoy seems to be a very strange pokemon.

Black Marauder
30th April 2005, 3:18 AM
episode sounds interesting....maybe a ruin mystery..i dunnoo...but its the next episode in USA:D

Medenia
30th April 2005, 4:34 PM
I just saw it few minutes ago. It's not one of my favourites... but hey if you like baltoy, you'll be sure to enjoy this episode.

If you like humor like me, you wont find this very humorous.
I thought the song was pretty interesting, and the Future-her was pretty obvious.

6.5/10

Dont flame me for my rating, I just didnt prefer it.

The Big Al
30th April 2005, 4:35 PM
An excellent episode. It's nice to have a thought provoking episode. Not to mention it was basically Ash, TR, and guest only. I wish they'd make more episodes like this.

Baltoy certainly had a unique voice.

The Big Al's rating
9.2 out of 10 it can't get much better.

Then we're going to get hit with another contest arc -_-. I'm waiting for the weather institute episode as it looks like a good one.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
30th April 2005, 4:36 PM
Having not read the synopsis beforehand, I have to say I was presently surprised by this episode.
Interesting how they shadowed Calista's parents' faces...I wonder if they're going to be important characters.
That Baltoy song was very annoying, but Baltoy itself was pretty cool. A little high-pitched, but meh, still OK.
The time thing was quite a climax. I suppose I didn't realize that before. I assumed that woman was Calista's aunt or something, judging by the hair.
Xatu reappears, too, so that's a plus. But didn't they pronounce it "Zah-too" before, instead of 'Za-too', though?

Overall rating:
9.6 out of 10!!!
Great filler! An original concept too. Ancient Ruins haven't been used since that early Kanto episode, I think.

SC~ out

V Faction
30th April 2005, 4:38 PM
I really hate my broadcasting station. Seems they have trouble with their brightness adjustments. So lucky me, everytime it was heavily fogged in the episode, the brightness went off the scale, preventing any kind of a good picture.

-The little "Baal-toy, Baal-toy" rhythm they did with Baltoy was clever. The pronunciation also struck me as more correct too, since the "bal-" comes from balance and not ball.

-This was one of those "Magnificent but insiginificant" plots. You could probably wrap a whole movie around time travel *coughmovie8cough*, but in this case it was enclosed inside of a little bubble meant for Ash only.

-I think the word Average describes this eppy best. Nothing was wrong with the voices or the Pokemon, but at the same time there wasn't anything to "wow" us. At least the TC was right.

The Big Al
30th April 2005, 4:39 PM
Not to mention the usage of the 2nd music track to add to the mysterious element. Like I said, too few episodes are this good.

Jesse GS the II
30th April 2005, 4:39 PM
This one wasn't as good as some other recent episodes have been, but it still had its moments. Most of all, its plot reminded me of the cryptic Kanto stories that had some kind of legend interwoven into them ("The Ghost of Maiden's Peak", "The Ancient Puzzle of Pokémopolis", etc.). Anything that's a throwback to the first season is okay in my book.

This is also one of those not-often seen episodes where Ash is completely separated from the group for nearly the entire episode's duration. And here it worked, because the others going along with him would have made it more of a hindrance and they wouldn't have contributed much (unlike, say, "The Tower of Terror", where I believe Misty and Brock would have helped the story).

I did like the story they wrote around Baltoy, but it seemed to drag in a few places. And the title was kind of a dead giveaway - had the word "Time" not been included in it, I doubt I would have figured out so quickly that the woman was Calista's future self. But still, it was a decent episode, and it's nice to see Xatu again, at least.

Heracross
30th April 2005, 4:41 PM
Pretty good episode. I haven't seen the original yet, but the music in the dub was actually decent... until the end when it changes about every five seconds. -_-;

So the girl's name was Callista huh? Kinda funny that the other Callista back in Johto also had a Xatu- I really would have preferred they use another name though because whenever they said it I thought of the Johto Callista. And it just doesn't seem to fit her that well anyway. :/

Kijuna
30th April 2005, 4:41 PM
Did anyone notice that at one point, Xatu was taller than Ash and then later, it was about half present Calista's size?

Future Calista surprised me. I expected the gift to be something lame like friendship. ^^;

I never really assumed Baltoy to have any personality, but it seemed fun in this episode. Pikachu playing with it in the background was cute. ^.^

Jonouchi
30th April 2005, 4:44 PM
I found it pretty interesting. We need to have episodes like this where it focuses on one character instead of the whole group

9/10

One of my favorite episodes so far

Geki
30th April 2005, 4:44 PM
I really hate the Dub. This was probably one of the worst AG episodes so far, and I hated how they spent like 5 minutes before the show and they said that Baltoy was a new Pokemon and everything, when all it is is an AG Pokemon. I should just start downloading Japanese episodes from the computer and burning them onto DVD, and I can just read the sypnosis on the site after or before I watch the episode. At least I won't have to wait a week just to see a horribly dubbed episode on a little kids TV station.

GreenKirby
30th April 2005, 4:46 PM
I loved that episode. Mostly because May wasn't involved! Is Calista still geting a Xatu, though?

8/10

Kanadian Kyuubi
30th April 2005, 4:52 PM
Worst, Episode, Ever!

This was a pretty boring episode if you ask me. Intresting, got to see Xatu again, baltoy's dub voice was pretty cute (what is with me today, I keep on accidently typing 2 ee's in preety, oops here I go again! Least I fixed the earlier ones.).

If you like these sort of things, fine with me but this was the worst filler ever!

But next week, Contest episode! Then we get to see Drew's new pokemon, and the evolved form of Aron! ;284; ;305;

3.5 out of 10

(oh, and Ash could have used Corphish's "Crabby Hammer" to smash the rocks you know, I was hoping for some action from the 'phish)

Tamer Zack
30th April 2005, 5:00 PM
The episode was a bit boring now we know why they don't do musical episodes it's because os Ash's singing voice.

CyberCubed
30th April 2005, 5:04 PM
Pretty good episode. Out of the usual which makes a nice change of pace.

We've already seen time travel via Celebi in the 4th movie, but I believe this is the first time it's mentioned in the actual series.

It would seem that the future self wanted to share all her discoveries with her younger self so she wouldn't waste her whole life discovering the same things, but did she?

Nice to see a Xatu again after so long, it's last appearance was in Master Quest.

CyberCubed
30th April 2005, 5:07 PM
I really hate the Dub. This was probably one of the worst AG episodes so far, and I hated how they spent like 5 minutes before the show and they said that Baltoy was a new Pokemon and everything, when all it is is an AG Pokemon. I should just start downloading Japanese episodes from the computer and burning them onto DVD, and I can just read the sypnosis on the site after or before I watch the episode. At least I won't have to wait a week just to see a horribly dubbed episode on a little kids TV station.

I don't see how a commerical KidsWB makes to advertise Baltoy as a new pokemon has anything to do with the dub. It's a KidsWB commercial, 4kids didn't make it, it's not part of the show.

Likewise, I see nothing about this episode that would make you hate the dub, how was this episode dubbed worse than any of the other episodes?

The Mighty Moltres
30th April 2005, 5:09 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. It almost had a different feel to it, you know what I mean? Baltoy was adorable, including its voice, as was Pikachu playing with it! I noticed that they used Calista's name again from Xatu the Future, which was a little weird, but this episode was much better then that horrible Johto episode! Xatu actually got to do something this time around, instead of just waving its wings around like flags. Other then that, nothing really to talk about. Next week, we get Ruibosu Town's dub name, so that'll be cool!

Episode Rating: 9/10

Medea
30th April 2005, 5:46 PM
I really didn't care much for this episode, however I will say this, at the beginning of the episode, Calista (the future version) singing was kind of creepy.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
30th April 2005, 6:32 PM
Another thing. When Future Callista told Xatu to use Reflect when they were trying to free Baltoy, I loved its reaction. It just turned to her, and its tone just screamed, "WTF?":D. Hilarious!

SC~ out

Brocksketchum
30th April 2005, 6:46 PM
Yeah, I noticed Xatu's reaction to future Calista too.

Baltoy's voice was pretty cute. When the group was walking, Baltoy floats along instead of spinning. Just a little quirk, nothing to worry about.

Jessy trying to recite the motto again after it's been said, reminds me of that Phanpy episode.
Then they forget the number one precaution they always take with their machines.

Whoever picks out these trainer choices seems to like Togetic, if you know what I mean.

Emma Iveli
30th April 2005, 6:59 PM
It was pretty good episdoe, it gave me funny ideas for two possible sarinos involing those ruins but I don't think anyone wants to read them. Any way I liked it, it was a cool episode.

Kijuna
30th April 2005, 7:24 PM
Y'think it's possible for Xatu The Future Callista to be an early future Calista from this episode that got lost in time?

Heracross
30th April 2005, 7:31 PM
No, she looks completely different than the Calista in this episode. Besides, Calista was only their dub names, it doesn't have any deep meaning to the story or anything.

Dogasu
30th April 2005, 9:06 PM
The Callista in "Xatu the Future" was named Mikoko in the Japanese version.

The Callista in "Me, Myself and Time" was named Kuruyo in the Japanese version.

So no, it's not supposed to be the same person.

The Big Al
30th April 2005, 9:36 PM
To those who said Corphish and Torkoal should have been used. NO

Corphish was a bad idea because Baltoy was trapped undernieth and they didn't want to hurt the it or the time circle. Corphish can be described my many words but careful isn't one of them.

Torkoal could have melted the steel but also Baltoy. Ash used Pikachu because he knew the electricity wouldn't affect Baltoy but go through TR's diggers like a hot knife through butter.

Silver Ryu
1st May 2005, 2:14 AM
I loved this episode! I thought the whole thing with the ancient ruins was very interesting, although it was a bit annoying how they kept talking about "the most valuable treasure in the universe." I was suprised that the cloaked lady was future Callista. I'm serious, I didn't see it coming! (I never read the episode guide) And...well, I dunno, it was just so good! And I thought it was really funny when Pikachu was poking Baltoy! Oh, and Ash is a horrible singer.
I give this episode a 9.5/10.
;343; ;343; ;343;

Geodude
1st May 2005, 6:09 AM
I also loved the way Pikachu was poking Baltoy and watching it wobble back and forth, that was SO funny. XD

stigy
1st May 2005, 7:45 AM
*Ears bleed after hearing Ash sing*
This was an okay episode. Way too predicable though.
5.5/10

Robert
1st May 2005, 1:28 PM
I found this episode to be very boring. There were a few cheesey stabs at "drama" and "mystery", completely run down by the slow pace. Way too much of the song. The whole future-self thing was a unique twist, at least.

Kamex
1st May 2005, 10:38 PM
That Baltoy song they had was creepy, but it was interesting.

I knew the hooded lady was Calista when she said she had wanted to be an archaeologist (sp?) too.

When Ash was singing, I thought he was making up a knew part of the song, but he had heard it earlier.

I'll rate this 7/10.

PDL
1st May 2005, 11:27 PM
This episode had an ethernal feel to it, making it seem a little creepy to me for some reason... which makes this episode really great...

it's very odd how many ancient civilizations have been shown during pokemon's run... Pokemopolis, the ruins of Alph, the civilization in "Xatu the Future", the Remoriadians... that temple that had the pokemon controling mask and staff... the list goes on...

and was the song that the future Callista sung taught to the present Callista? if that was so... this song would be alot like the Song of Storms for LoZ...

Space Skitty
2nd May 2005, 12:26 AM
I thought this episode had a unique plot to it. The song was creepy but I also thought it sounded pretty. Baltoy sounded adorable and Xatu was cool (I didn't get to see the Johto episode it was in). It was also interesting to see Ash on his own during the episode; it's been a while since Ash was on his own without the others. Overall, I thought it was a unique and mysterious episode.

Pokemon Fan
2nd May 2005, 5:25 AM
I'll echo all the good things said about this episode (excellent points by the way The Big Al). I'll also add that the animation for the time portal was quite a bit fancier than normal, though such neat effects will start becoming more common now I think. Also, it was a nice little detail that was added by Callista that the exact same person can't exist in the same time as their past or future selves for too long. One wonders what would have happened if she stayed too long. Was this little remark only in the dub?

Other good points:

Meowth calling out to blame the "twerps" for getting them lost.

We've often seen a Psychic Pokemon lift objects before, but not often have we seen them lift and then blow apart the objects into dusts and bits of stone. I guess that is why Callista couldn't use Xatu to do the job (because really, Xatu should have known an attack that could do the same thing), there wasn't enough room to put the rocks somewhere else, but blowing them apart would have put them at risk and I guess Xatu couldn't use a psychic attack and Reflect at the same time.

It was a rather sedate episode, but I wouldn't really call it boring, just different. I certainly see why some wouldn't see it as their cup of tea though. ^_^

It would seem that the future self wanted to share all her discoveries with her younger self so she wouldn't waste her whole life discovering the same things, but did she?
I got the impression she simply wanted her past self to use her time more wisely. She noted that she regretted the number of years she struggled to convince her parents (and others? ) to accept her profession, all for nothing, and wanted her younger self to waste so much time worrying. She was convinced she could change her future for the better if she did that.

Ashfan17
3rd May 2005, 4:08 AM
I loved the episode May not being in it was an extra point for me. The time ordeal was dealt with before but not like this, this time it was beautiful, wonderfully done. Ash's singing wasn't that bad, once you rip your ears off it sounds fine. I loved the episode overall I can't wait for the episode because of Drew basically so yah I give this episode an A+

xyzman123
5th May 2005, 1:30 AM
This episode seemed like one of the more mature ones. I didn't really like it because there was nobody expect Ash only in the beginning.

wobbanut
22nd May 2005, 10:17 PM
Well, I finally have a VCR again (my best friend taped episodes for me for the last few weeks, since my combo TV broke down and I work on Saturdays), so I can catch up on my new episode reviews. Someday I'll review the earlier ones from this season that I missed. :p

Anyway, I really liked this episode. Any episode that is something different from the ordinary- "Dues and Don'ts", "Holy Matrimony", "Address Unown"- tend to be big favorites of mine. It didn't take me too long to figure out that the cloaked figure was an older version of Callista, but it still made for interesting viewing, especially when the older and younger selves speak to each other. I'm glad that the little Callista was encouraged by her older self to follow her dreams. That's a good timeless message. :)

10/10 for me

Sharpshooter
29th May 2005, 9:50 AM
I really liked this episode due to the fact it was a bit different from all the others, we've been crying out for an episode like this for while.

I quite liked the way Ash was on his own for this episode, we needed to see a bit more of him without the rest of the group surrounding him for once, and infact he was actually quite funny, which was another thing I've been waiting from him for a while :P

Xatu just came out of the blue here, I didn't know it was meant to appear and so I'm glad it did, nice suprise!

Wow I didn't know Callista was the older women as well, but it freaked me out when I first saw it! It had a very good ending to it with the younger one getting all emotional and whatnot. Hmm yes interesting episode.

Torkoal Stu
29th May 2005, 11:36 AM
Very interesting..

Well I liked not seeing Max, May and Brock. But that Baltoy song was kind of annoying after a while.

Alot of Johto pokemon appearing recently Remoraid, Flaffy, Xatu, Sunflora, Belosoom ect.

Who looked at Xatus face when it used relect a second time. I couldn't stop laughing, I still am.

I didn't except Callista was Callista fromt he future. But Baltoy had a sweet voice, one of the better dub voices. :)

Team Rocket didn't have much of an appearence in this episode did they? but more than May, Brock and Max. It was also funny when Xatu was pecking Cacnea and there were just standing there.

lol, a very different kind of filler episode. But an Ash only episode was a nice change. 10/10

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
29th May 2005, 1:42 PM
I loved this ep due to the face that Max didnt get a major role!!!1

10./10

-Freedom'sWarrior-
10th January 2006, 10:24 PM
I kinda liked the Travel Through Time song...:)

C.J. Ray
5th July 2006, 1:11 AM
This was probably my favorite episode in the seventh season, with "Game-Winning Assist" being second. It was a nice and mysterious episode that offset the goofiness of the episode that came before it and the miserable two-parter that came after it. (Which is my most-hated contest episode two-parter in the series, because May was being mean to Bulbasaur in that Rubito contest.) Great episode, and the time machine thing was nifty.

EDIT: Could someone PM me the lyrics to that song that was sung in the episode? I want to make an Unown version on it to put on my website and put part of it in my sig here, but it's a pain to remember how it goes.

The Big Al
5th July 2006, 2:01 AM
I finally got this one archived. I like the idea of the Pokemon world being full of ancient artifacts from advanced civilizations. It kind of gives it that mysterious feel. Too bad the rest of the anime is so shallow and these ancient artifacts don't effect the world beyond isolated fillers.

Judai Yuki
5th July 2006, 7:18 AM
Ash can sing so great!xP

ShinyManafi
2nd February 2007, 3:57 AM
I liked this episode, only because it got really interesting about halfway through.

penngrade6
16th April 2007, 7:57 PM
I thought it was an okay episode, it didn't have enough humor and action though. I thought the future girl was meh okay.

Rating- 4/10 Not the best filler

Battra
5th June 2007, 10:58 PM
The episodes with the ancient advance civilizations are always interesting even if they are just fillers cause they add a sense of mysticism to the world of Pokemon. I love the song, it's so catchy.

joejoebubun
16th June 2007, 2:38 AM
enyone know wut the song is please email it to me if u do at joejoebunbun@aol.com

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:44 AM
This was an alright episode. It had pretty great music. Yay for not having Max play a big part.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:38 AM
it had some fun soundtrackas in it though the baltoy one got annoying after a while.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 3:25 AM
it was a good episode, i always like time like episodes

ccangelopearl1362
18th March 2009, 3:15 AM
When Ash and Pikachu got separated from May, Max, and Brock in the fog here, they ended up finding a girl and her Baltoy sometime later. This episode had a mystical feel to it, between Callista's search for those ancient artifacts and her encounter with none other than her future self toward the end. Perhaps the lessons I took from this episode have shaped my overall interest in Pokémon so far, and I wouldn't have guessed just how useful for my mind they would be in the present day.

No. 1 Machop Fan
14th October 2009, 3:43 AM
The episode was a bit boring now we know why they don't do musical episodes it's because os Ash's singing voice.

Which reminds me. Wasn't Ash supposed to be an extremely horrible singer? He didn't sound that bad in this episode.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 5:01 PM
Great filler.

Ash got a lot of screentime, wow.

And i loved to see Callista's Baltoy, it was very mysterious.

7/10

BlueDragonfangirl
3rd January 2010, 11:05 AM
I loved this episode soo much. This episode reminded me of that one episode before Hoeon when it was just Ash/Team Rocket. Yah I loved how it was just Ash and loved how Meowth blamed Ash and the gang for getting themselves lost, LOL Cuz it happens so muchXD
I also found Ash singing to be kind of cute. And I LOL'd when Ash got so confused about the future stuff funny. Yah I also liked the background music, it was good over all.

Lorde
3rd January 2010, 11:09 AM
Great filler.
7/10

Was it really Filler? REALLY? I mean, Baltoy debuted and we got to see some ruins; that has to count for something. This really was a complicated episode though. Never have I witnessed so many events in a Hoenn episode before. I thought it was just going to be another Hoenn debut with Baltoy but then time travel was involved and Ash got a role and then there was terrible singing in the dubbed version. Ugh. 3/10.

Willow's Tara
9th May 2010, 6:19 AM
It was an interesting and mysterious episode. I did suspect the girl soon in the episode to be the future girl (I am good at that, kinda). She had a nice singing voice and a song that would get stuck in your head lol. Ash wasn't too bad at singing but he was doing it softly, some people are better are singing softly then loudly.

Is it me or at the end when she was leaving it sounded like she might be dying in the future? Just the way she kept saying I don't have much time left.

saar
6th July 2010, 1:47 PM
I usually don't like episodes like this, when only one main character is doing something. But meh, at least Blatoy got a debut appearance...

KGB13
2nd August 2010, 7:31 PM
This episode was pretty boring to me.

I didn't like all the time travel stuff and Baltoy is a pokemon I don't have much interest in.

I didn't like this one much...

bowlesb13
31st January 2011, 7:12 AM
Did anyone notice that this episode creates a major time paradox? This episode violates one of the major time travel rules: you can’t change an event that will prevent you from going back in the first place. Meaning that if you went back in time to kill Hitler as a child (and succeeded), he would never grow up to commit the atrocities that occurred during his reign. This would give you no reason to go back in the first place because it never happened.
Something of this sort happens in this episode. Because of the events of the episode, young Callista knows that she will grow up to go back in time after she has discovered the ruins. But she has already discovered the ruins because her future self has brought her there. She won’t need to spend her life trying to discover the ruins because she already knows where they are.
If old Callista used the book to find the ruins in the future and basically tells young Callista this, young Callista has no reason to discover the ruins in the future because she has already discovered them. This would mean that the old Callista would not travel back in time and the young Callista would not find the ruins.
The only way around any of this is if you assume that Callista grows up and pretty much spends her whole life at the ruins and then goes back in time because she feels that she needs to tell her younger self about it. But that means that she really has no future because it will keep repeating like that.
I don’t know if that made sense or if I explained it well but either way a paradox is the result. There was a reason that Doc Brown wouldn’t let Marty meet his past or future selves.

G50
5th March 2011, 6:21 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Baltoy for the 1st time. It really was fitting for this type of episode. It was cool to see Calista as both a child and an adult in this episode. It was cool to see a Xatu again. Thanks to the title, it was easy to tell that it was Calista's future self with Ash. The Time-travel Paradox was a bit messed up, but I'm not surprised really. I think it would've been to confusing.

32/100

couplesupporter
14th August 2011, 5:50 AM
I liked it and I didn't expect her older self to be shown. I really want Ash to see his older self or something in one episode

UnbelievableUrsula
6th March 2012, 7:50 PM
I liked this episode. It was nice seeing Ash alone for once. I liked seeing Baltoy. It was cute. I also think Callista and Ash make a sweet couple.

Vernikova
13th July 2012, 8:48 PM
It was a nice episode. The time traveling plot was kind of interesting and it was nice seeing this story develop. I don't know but I feel that the writers did a good enough job setting this episode up from the beginning and leaving me with an interest about the ancient civilization.

7threst
30th September 2012, 6:29 PM
The whole mysterious aspect of this episode was really interesting and I thought this episode was exceptional in synopsis if you compare it to the other episodes in "Advanced Generation". And I love Team Rocket being so oblivious again.

Painkiller2001
7th November 2014, 6:09 AM
AT one point, I did take take a very wild and random guess that the mysterious woman was going to be Callista in from the future. I was really surprised that I ended up being right. :)
Ash is not a bad singer, I have to say. :)

Lorde
28th November 2014, 9:13 PM
I remember thinking that the woman in red was Courtney from Team Magma until she was revealed to be Baltoy's owner in the future. Seeing Baltoy and Xatu pretty much handle Team Rocket's drill mecha by themselves was nice though and I only wish that May and the others had appeared more here. Alas, this was just an Ash episode.