PDA

View Full Version : Cruisin' for a Losin' (354)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:58 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/354.jpgCruisin' For A Losin'

It's May's 4th Contest and she is eager for her 3rd win. SHe ends up against the Co-ordinator with a Lairon that she met yesterday aswell as Drew and his Masquerain. Will she emerge triumphant?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/354.shtml)

Discuss

frednmethod
13th November 2004, 3:49 PM
I liked this episode because it was a very nice character development for May. And he Ash-May talk at the end was sweet.

King Shuckle
17th January 2005, 8:11 PM
Here's my corny dub title that i could only think of
~Takes One to Lairon

DANdotW
21st January 2005, 9:19 PM
I've got one question. How come that other Co-ordinater uses Flareon and Lairon in her contest.

frednmethod
27th January 2005, 3:37 PM
It was a contest where you could (or had to) use two pokemon in the contest. One for appeals and one for battles.

May used two too, Beautifly for appeals and Bulbasaur for battling.

ChaosMage
29th January 2005, 6:42 PM
Hmm... will this title be Masquerain or Lairon based? I can't find a decent pun for either pokemon (and, knowing 4Kids, they won't either!)

Kanadian Kyuubi
30th April 2005, 4:54 PM
Crusin' for a Losin' is the dub title, has something to do with, hmm maybe she loses.

Geki
30th April 2005, 10:23 PM
This was a great episodes. I wish Tsukiki could have beat Drew, she probably could have if that last Shock Wave kicked in. It was awesome when Tsukiki's Flareon did that Ember and Swift to create red stars! May shouldn't have used Bulbasaur, Ash was right. Bulbasaur never even had any training or battles yet, and Tsukiki's Lairon was expierienced. 8/10.

V Faction
14th May 2005, 4:27 PM
A title change here would be hot.

A very good episode that's sure to spawn some talk. Another wacky TC, the Gyms vs. Contests debate, and underlying sexual innuendos! And Second Movie music!

The Big Al
14th May 2005, 4:33 PM
May was an absolute jerk. Considering Ash trained a Bublasaur for a couple years, he could have helped her. I don't care what they claim, any trainer could win the second half a contest. Not to mention May was acting like Co-ordinators are superior to trainers. Huh, the reverse is true actually.

I'm glad she got her head handed to her. Especially since she didn't deserve the last Ribbon she won. Like Ash in Dewford, she needed a good humbling.

At least her next contest will be believable.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th May 2005, 4:37 PM
May went corrupt. Interesting idea.
Bulbasaur having stage fright was a great idea. Gave it personality.
I liked the frozen bubbles idea. I was expecting Hidden power to break them and make a Pseudo-Hail, but the way the animé did it was cool, too.
Swift and Ember was a good idea, too. Very creative. Too bad the games don't let you do that.......
May really got put in her places by the judges XD. Kind of funny to watch, IMO.
The MFP were pretty enthusiastic about the Contests O.o. Too much, almost.

Did Beautifly know Morning Sun before this? I don't remember it ever using it before.

Overall rating:
8.9 out of 10!!!
Not the best Contest episode ever, but still pretty good. Character development for May, too.

SC~ out

Jonouchi
14th May 2005, 4:38 PM
Well, at least they got the TC right his time. Ludicolo may be a water type, but it's also a grass type as well

Overall, this was a good episode. I didn't know Shock Wave could hit on contact (To be honest, I though it was Thunder Wave. Then again, we haven't seen Shock Wave in anime yet (I'm not sure if it did appear, I didn't see all the AG episodes)) hopefully, may will have learned a valuable lesson about battling

7/10

Jesse GS the II
14th May 2005, 4:40 PM
Whoo boy, was May a ***** this week or what? But it offered a new angle on the whole contest thing - her desire to prove that she's better than Drew inflates her head to the point where she thinks she's better than everyone, and she tanks as a result. That's good writing.

I thought Jessie and James' subplot offered the most laughs this week, from them being thrown out of the contest center in the beginning to Jessie running her "sweatshop" ("How do you expect me to overcharge for underproduction?" "Same as we always do?"). If Jessie and James were confined to more subplots like that, I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with them showing up in every episode.

Altogether, this was another good one. Ash helps May see the error of her ways at the end, good friend that he is. It'll be interesting to see May's next coupla contests.

P.S. Trainer's Choice done it again this week...but Ludicolo IS a Grass type, so I guess I can forgive them a little.

The Big Al
14th May 2005, 4:45 PM
I would have put it blunt. They've "babied" May around. I think the tongue lashing Nurse Joy gave her was the first time anyone wasn't nice to her in giving her advice. Even Drew isn't willing to be sharp with her. Though he's a jerk who thinks everyone is inferior.

This talk will probably get me flamed by KawaiiestCombusken but I don't care. They can kiss my rear for all I care. I enjoyed myself.

CyberCubed
14th May 2005, 5:04 PM
This was a very good episode, and I'm glad the writers had May lose another contest. It just wouldn't seem right if she kept winning contest after contest, so I'm glad she took a loss.

Pretty good interactions in this episode. May was acting really *****y towards everyone. I loved the way Brock looked at Drew after May was yelling at Ash and Drew goes "Heh." and shrugs it off.

May is really lucky to have Ash as her friend, he didn't get mad at all when May was yelling right in his face. The fact that Ash comforted May at the end of the episode was a nice way to show Ash cared, without any sort of argument at the end of the episode.

And sheesh, what is with the constant Drew worship? C'mon, do girls really see him as the best looking guy ever? All the girls seem to go crazy over him, yet May still gets angry at him since he's her rival and all.

I also thought Team Rocket was great in this episode. Finally a scheme that's actually funny and isn't annoying.

Very good episode.

EDIT: There was some underlying pedophilia themes in this episode. Drew can't be any older than Ash is, yet these mothers are all attracted to him. Hello, pedophilia anyone?

Medea
14th May 2005, 5:53 PM
Yeah I know it has been said before, but May was "The" ***** of the week ;)! But then of course I swear she acts like Ash at times (and this episode just proved it). Since we all know how Ash gets when trying to challenge a gym leader (perfect example the first match against Brawly)

...With that said, this was an okay episode (as in not one of the greatest). I will say this though, the part when May loses and after getting told off by Nurse Joy & and Contesta (or whatever that guys name is), dead silence is a *****!

PDL
14th May 2005, 5:59 PM
due to the crap reception my TV got today, I didn't get parts of the episodes. Unfortunately, this inculded most of the good parts, such as May's swelled ego and the deflating of it D:

what were the other 2 choices for the trainer's choice, I know Ludicolo was the first guy, and they chose Camerupt, but what were the other 2?

and for some reason, it seems that KidsWB has decided not to re-air newest episode on friday :\... so it'll be a few weeks til I probably get to see this episode again... *sigh*

Jonouchi
14th May 2005, 6:03 PM
due to the crap reception my TV got today, I didn't get parts of the episodes. Unfortunately, this inculded most of the good parts, such as May's swelled ego and the deflating of it D:

what were the other 2 choices for the trainer's choice, I know Ludicolo was the first guy, and they chose Camerupt, but what were the other 2?

and for some reason, it seems that KidsWB has decided not to re-air newest episode on friday :\... so it'll be a few weeks til I probably get to see this episode again... *sigh*

I don't remember. One of the two others (Besides Ludicolo and Camerupt) was Mightyena, but the other one, I don't remember

CyberCubed
14th May 2005, 6:56 PM
The other one was Duskull.

MayAsh1987
14th May 2005, 8:10 PM
Man, haven't been posting any lately since I'm busy but FINALLY! THANK YOU! A good episode! The last few weeks, the episodes was so dull, but I really loved this episode! I really like May's other side! Acting like a bi-otch, doesn't care. She was very cocky! I'm surprised that Ash didn't yell at her for May yellin' in his face. I was clapping and yelling was May doing.

This episode remind me alot of Brave the Wave, because a similiar situation happened like that too that we all know!

Okay, now I'm calm! May felt like she knew everything. I think Ash and May roles had been swapped for a bit. May was acting like Ash at the part when she was talking to Savannah. Then when Ash was about to give advice to Savannah, May yells in his face. Ash acted like May since she's normally afraid if Ash yelled at May. But their roles went back to normal after May lost. I like the sweet talk Ash give to MAy.

Team Rocket was funny in this episode, I liked how Jessie trying to get in with that big fat ribbon and how J&M answered of why they rejected Jessie. Their plan would of been great if they made diffent kinds of ribbons. I felt sorry for poor Meowth and James. They have to do the sewing while Jessie is laying the ribbons in place. Did anyone besides me saw how they didn't recite the motto at all? Nice break for a change.

AND FINALLY! The Trainer's Choice wasn't screwed up that bad! I yelled at the TV last week of how Arbok evolved into Seviper.

Lastly, the things that annoyed me how the MFP ladies were hitting on Drew who he's still a kid or teenager. Come on, that is sick, grow up MFP! Also Sandra was bugging me a bit. I'm sorry, but I didn't like her that much. She thinks she knows everything which for me that bugs me!

Overall, I give this episode 7.7 out of 10. The part I like the best when May was acting like a *****, and battles.

Ditzy_Blonde
14th May 2005, 9:43 PM
May was an absolute jerk. Considering Ash trained a Bublasaur for a couple years, he could have helped her. I don't care what they claim, any trainer could win the second half a contest. Not to mention May was acting like Co-ordinators are superior to trainers. Huh, the reverse is true actually.

So basically, May acted like a human?

I fail to see the horror.

The Big Al
14th May 2005, 11:00 PM
If you call being a b**** human I guess.

PDL
14th May 2005, 11:05 PM
so her ego swelled in this contest... it's happened to everyone at some point in their lives... Someone get's high and mighty, and then karma comes and gives a swift kick in the crotch, and they get some humility... if they are wise enough, they learn from their error and move on...

now I wonder when they'll air this episode so I can actually enjoy it this time :\...

lucious_dia
14th May 2005, 11:38 PM
so her ego swelled in this contest... it's happened to everyone at some point in their lives... Someone get's high and mighty, and then karma comes and gives a swift kick in the crotch, and they get some humility... if they are wise enough, they learn from their error and move on...

Well put. *_*

Yes, it seemed we finally see some more character development in her, even though it was the bad side. Everybody has those days when they think they are better than everyone. And I kind of enjoy the judges telling May off, it made her realize what she was doing, and thanks to Ash later, she learns from her mistake. This was one of Team Rocket's non-annoying episode that I liked.

I kinda felt bad for Ash in this one, taking all that yelling. He never got mad, didn't argue back, didn't protect his title as being a pokemon trainer due to May's remark about the argument of pokemon contests being more complicated than battles. He was calm, to put it plainly. And even managed to comfort her in the end, being the sweet friend he is, after the crap he took from her just for trying to help Savannah, and trying to give her some advice on what to do with Bulbasaur. It is prove that he cares. I still love May though. XD

Ash showed a bit of maturity in here, and my respect grew for him in this episode.

Kamex
15th May 2005, 12:37 AM
So May finally loses her first Pokemon Contest since her first one (I think).

May finally lost it, too. She gave Ash a pretty bad yelling, but he put up with it like a man, being calm and all. Yep, he's a good friend.

Team Rocket over-did it with the ribbons. But they should have learned from back in the Johto League Silver Conference. Can't massproduce any item and expect to sell it all, you know something's going to happen.

Too bad, I wanted to see Drew's match versus Sandra. It would have been cool. But then again, maybe we did see the match...I dunno, I can't seem to remember...

I'll give this episode a...what do you know? 7/10. >_>

cold_katanagirl
15th May 2005, 12:47 AM
FINALLY. AFTER ABOUT SIX WEEKS, I SEE A NEW EPISODE!

It was OK I guess. But a lot of things ticked me off. I'm sick of Team Rocket. I really am.

May acted like quite a ***** in this episode. I was surprised at Ash's reaction, I was expecting him to blow up at her. He would have done it if it had been anybody else.

I'm glad she lost. I felt like watching somebody lose for some reason. And her getting snapped at by the judges was awesome.

Drew ****** me off in this episode. I don't know why, he just did. So did the idea of Contestshipping. IT ****** ME OFF. -_-

And what's up with Drew's fangirls, where did they all come from? They probably came when I haven't been watching or something, but WTF. They're like thirty years old and worshipping some kid that at the oldest is twelve years old. He's not even that good looking. No, Drew isn't good looking at all. And his voice is annoying.

... Yes, Drew really ****** me off, for one reason or another.

And I found Savannah's worshipping of May... odd. I found it weird that a mom would be looking up to a ten year old and having to use ideas that her daughter came up with. Maybe it's because I didn't see the last episode...

I'll give this a 7.5/10. Would have earned higher if DREW weren't in it. I'm starting to hate him...

Kamex
15th May 2005, 1:06 AM
And what's up with Drew's fangirls, where did they all come from? They probably came when I haven't been watching or something, but WTF.
They came in the last episode. And they're not just Drew's fangirls, they're...just fangirls. Or rather, fanmoms.

Everyone keeps saying it's sick that the fanmoms like Drew. But come on, when May came into town last episode, they were hero-worshiping her. Does that mean they liked her in that way? O_o

Lust
15th May 2005, 2:02 AM
I only saw the last part of the episode (When Bulbasaur was battling Lairon) and I thought it was pretty good. Drew is kinda cool but wears weird clothes. May was thinking that she was going to win every contest.

Geodude
15th May 2005, 4:13 AM
They're like thirty years old and worshipping some kid that at the oldest is twelve years old.
Hardly. With the exception of Savannah, I wouldn't put any of those moms over 25 at the absolute oldest.

And his voice is annoying.
Not in Japanese.

Blackjack Gabbiani
15th May 2005, 4:15 AM
I donno, I think he has an annoying voice in both. Like Max.

Anyone else notice the animation error? At the end when they're all having drinks, it starts with Brock's side of the table and the glasses are pretty big. Then it switches and all the glasses have shrunk.

cold_katanagirl
15th May 2005, 4:32 PM
They came in the last episode. And they're not just Drew's fangirls, they're...just fangirls. Or rather, fanmoms.
I know that, I'm just saying they were annoying.

Everyone keeps saying it's sick that the fanmoms like Drew. But come on, when May came into town last episode, they were hero-worshiping her. Does that mean they liked her in that way? O_o
Didn't see the last episode.

Hardly. With the exception of Savannah, I wouldn't put any of those moms over 25 at the absolute oldest.
Just an exaggeration joke...

Not in Japanese.
Shuu doesn't have the greatest voice in the world either.

Robert
15th May 2005, 5:46 PM
This was an okay episode. It was good to see May get cocky and then get completely owned. I also liked the idea of Bulbasaur getting stage fright, seems realistic when it has spent its life behind a wall.

Other than that, it was just about the exact same as every other contest episode. I loved them at first, but they are now starting to get repetitive...

Brocksketchum
16th May 2005, 4:29 AM
Well, May truly was crusin' for a losin'. Cool how the title worked out, even if it did give away that she would lose.

Joy's voice is reminding me of Princess Peach for some odd reason.

The only sale Team Rocket made and it had to be refunded... better luck next time, guys!

No dizzy symbols when Bulbasaur was declaired unable to battle? Time to rub it in! :D

DarkWobbuffet
19th May 2005, 4:34 AM
Drew ****** me off in this episode. I don't know why, he just did. So did the idea of Contestshipping. IT ****** ME OFF. -_-

... Yes, Drew really ****** me off, for one reason or another.

I'll give this a 7.5/10. Would have earned higher if DREW weren't in it. I'm starting to hate him...

Can I hug you now? o.o

Aside from Shuu being an ***, I enjoyed this episode. Haruka's been having it awfully easy during this region, and getting slapped with a bit of reality was nice to see. I may be a Haruka fan, but she seriously needed to be taken down a notch. Satoshi was a very good friend to her as well, trying to give her advice, putting up with her yelling, then comforting her after the battle. :)

wobbanut
22nd May 2005, 10:27 PM
I know I was wondering when I looked at the number of contest episodes that we hadn't gotten to, and saw that there were four contests, so I knew May had to have lost one since she didn't get her fifth ribbon until just before the Grand Festival. I can see now where it happened and why. I think it was a valuable learning experience for May to lose a contest after winning two straight and getting arrogant about it. At least we know she's going to be winning from now on. :)

I can't wait for the next contest (it's the Lilycove one, right?). Jessie competes with Chimecho!!! :D :D :D

WindyNight
4th June 2005, 7:31 PM
YTV just aired that episode today at noon...
I enjoyed the episode, though I am not very pleased with May's attitude toward Ash...
Drew and Masquerain are really great..
I like the part when Drew tried to advice May to forget about the past and face the future...May was just......
Overall, I give a rating 9/10 for the episode..
I love all Contest Episodes!!! ^_^

Torkoal Stu
12th June 2005, 10:27 AM
Savanna had the most rocking appeal yet, May was funny as a jerk. Mays Bulbsaur has a heart shapped mark on its head. Who noticed that? Another mucked up TC, Camerupt loses mostly to Ludicolo becasue Ludicolo is part water. This is the only contest we see Drew win isn't it? But Maserain(sp?) was rockin with its bubbles. Lairon has a great dub voice just like Maskerain. A very good contest ep in my opinion.

9/10 it went down because Savvan should of won and May was a real biatch.

Jo-Jo
12th June 2005, 11:32 AM
Saw the ep this morning. I think I like May better when she acts like a nasty little brat. Which goes a long way to explaining why my favourite characters are Team Rocket and Drew...

I was amazed that Ash took May's yelling so calmly. She was really laying into him, totally unprovoked, and he just kept his cool, tried to reason with her, then backed off when he saw that it wasn't going to work. Incredible. Just imagine his reaction if it had been Misty or Gary talking to him like that. O_o

The glances exchanged between Brock and Drew confused me a little. Drew's shrug was hilarious, but what was up with Brock's frowning? Did he suspect that Drew had riled May up, and that was why she was behaving like such a b*tch? Just curious.

Bulbasaur was so cute in this ep! <3 And the Savannah/Sandra relationship was terribly sweet, too. It felt like Sandra spends more time taking care of her mother than vice versa. It's nice to see a little kid who manages to be precocious without annoying the hell out of me for once. You know, I'd actually be really interested in reading trainer-fic for her.

I loved Ash and May's make up scene, too. Again, Ash was very mature and understanding about the whole thing. I guess he sees a bit of his younger self in May, and that makes him go easy on her.

Man, were those mums ever scary about Drew. Oh well, nice to see him openly acknowledged as a hottie in canon. :p

Sharpshooter
12th June 2005, 11:50 AM
May actions are pretty much part of the learning curve in the same way what Ash went through during kanto. Although she kinda got owned in that episode alright, and I'm pretty pleased Drew won it (how many ribbons does he have now following this episode?).

I don't why people are complaining about Drew, he acted like he acts in every contest episode, actually he was probably more considerate than ever I've seen previously.

The battles themeselves were ok, the Lairon/Bulbasaur match was clever on Savannah's behalf but I was slightly suprised how little damage Bulbasaur recieved from it's take down attack. And then of course the Shock wave causing paralysis did it.

Both Drew's matches were ok as well, the first one was a little rushed but what do you expect considering there was no emphasis on the two in the first place. The final had the same effect although Drew's Masquerain looked quite decent out there.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
12th June 2005, 12:05 PM
I think this was a great episode and it was mean may being nasty to poor ash and is is ashame she lost

9/10

Rikku.
12th June 2005, 1:13 PM
May actions are pretty much part of the learning curve in the same way what Ash went through during kanto. Although she kinda got owned in that episode alright, and I'm pretty pleased Drew won it (how many ribbons does he have now following this episode?).

Drew has 4 ribbons now, iirc.

This episode was good, May's overconfidence was irritating, but she learnt the error of her ways in the end. Ash was way too nice to her in my opinion, she was a total ***** to him when he offered a suggestion for Bulbasaur in the battle. Oh well, I suppose it was nice to see a personality change for May, I always see her as a soft-voiced innocent girl XD

I loved seeing the Girafarig, but.. the fact it got beaten so easily was disappointing. I always thought Lairon was ugly until I saw this episode.

Savannah should have won the contest.

8 / 10

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
12th June 2005, 1:37 PM
cool ep, cept may was a biatch to both Ash and Bulbasaur

I mean Ash has a bulbasaur, He would have given May good advice!

but now Drew has four ribbons

Batdude
12th June 2005, 1:54 PM
I am ecstatic that Bulbasaur got trounced. May had it coming. I never liked her and this has shown that she is a big-headed and thoughtless co-ordinator.

Ok, maybe not THAT extreme, but she was acting like a total wagon. I only really got into Hoenn recently, but I saw a few eps at the start and a few recently, and May just does nothing for me with the whole Co-ordinating thing.

I am so happy that Lairon strutted it's stuff with that Shock Wave travelling up the vines.

Where does May get off going "Contest Battles are harder than Gym Battles"? Either way, after that contest Ash should have taken out his 20 badges from the other regions and said, "Do you want some advice on battles now?"...

ChaosMage
12th June 2005, 2:28 PM
I like how the Ash-like side of May started to take over. I'm just glad this isn't the last we see of Bulbasaur!

Jo-Jo
17th June 2005, 10:21 PM
I don't why people are complaining about Drew, he acted like he acts in every contest episode, actually he was probably more considerate than ever I've seen previously.
You got me. May's MUCH ruder to him in this episode than he is to her. In fact, he's not rude to her at all, apart from his snickering at her, which was really more annoying than anything else.

WindyNight
10th July 2005, 10:27 PM
May was really mean in that episode...Her attitude toward everyone was rude, especially to Ash when he was only trying to help her..
As for Drew, I think he was just trying to help May and wanted her to know that if she only thought about her winning streaks, she was not going to win at all...
Stubborn May didn't want to listen to anybody's advices in that episode..
But still, that's an awesome episode...^^

C.J. Ray
5th July 2006, 7:10 AM
This was the only contest episode I refuse to ever watch again. May was totally OOC, and if it wasn't for Ash having a heart and trying to console her, she probably would have given up her dream and stopped going to contests after seeing Drew get twice as many ribbons as her.

Needless to say, I really hated this episode because May had a "but I have two badges!!!" moment, especially since her opponent was a nice friendly rival, not like Harley will be later on.

Judai Yuki
5th July 2006, 7:19 AM
I don't like May's Bulbasaur.

Ashy Boy
5th July 2006, 10:10 AM
There were a couple of things wrong with this ep. Firstly May's overconfidence of using Bulbasaur much to the shock of everyone else and Jessie being too demanding on James and Meowth (as always) when they making Ribbons.

Riva
7th July 2006, 3:08 AM
For some reason, I found it uncomfortable for mothers to have fangirl crushes on Drew...

Judai Yuki
7th July 2006, 5:11 PM
Another May contest with filler characters....

pokeboy sarab
19th December 2006, 5:02 PM
well it was a good episode and may deserved what she got but poor bulbasaur

also i liked savannah and sandra

Hydroleaf
6th December 2008, 6:50 PM
Ash was so tolerant of May. I'm a bit suprised he didn't say something like:
Ash: I ******* told you, *****! **** **** *** ****!
You know, people aren't kidding when they say May is turning into an Ash clone...
It's nice that he went to cheer her up, though.

Tadashi
10th December 2008, 8:24 PM
Whoo boy, was May a ***** this week or what? But it offered a new angle on the whole contest thing - her desire to prove that she's better than Drew inflates her head to the point where she thinks she's better than everyone, and she tanks as a result. That's good writing.

I quite agree. Everyone needs to get knocked down a few pegs now and then, and what better time than during a contest?

Poor Bulbasaur! She was obviously very nervous, and that got the better of her. Ash was really nice to talk with May after, and seeing some Drew fangirls was pretty funny :D

Good episode.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 2:06 AM
It was some nice character development. I'm glad she did badly. She wasn't acting very nice.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 1:28 PM
lairon is one of my favorite pokemon liked watching this episode.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:07 PM
It was a nice episode Masqurain is my fave Pokemon

Ash-kid
13th January 2010, 12:01 PM
Mmm, too bad that May lost.

And Poor Bulbasaur, it was still weak.

Lairon was very strong, i loved his moves, like Metal Sound.

8/10

Lorde
22nd January 2010, 9:20 PM
Too by honest, I was surprised an old gal like the COTD in this arc was seen competing against young trainers in a Pokemon Contest. She was like the opposite of Jeremy from Kanto.

Anyway, it was cool to see May so confident in her victory. I was a tad upset that she lost the chance to get her third Hoenn ribbon that old gals Lairon. Then again, she used her newly caught Bulbasaur. It lacked training to begin with.

May wasn't smart, she should have used someone with more experience this time aound. 6/10

BlueDragonfangirl
25th February 2010, 7:08 AM
I'm a little late in seeing this episode but May ticked me off here, yah she grew as a person blah blah blah. But her yelling at Ash for no reason, kept wanting Ash to yell back but no, for once he had to go and be mature >>

Antiyonder
16th May 2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah I know that most of these posts are more than year ago, but I find it puzzling that Ash's behavior in Brave the Wave isn't heavily critiqued (some posts certainly did so, but not as much as here), while May's behavior is touched upon quite a bit more. I mean Ash is the more experienced and more well mannered than he was in the Kanto days, yet he lets Treekco battle to the point where he's seriously wounded (not to mention telling Brock to shut up).

Not that I'm complaining about it, but I think that someone who's still growing as a trainer/coordinator should be allowed some immature moments as well.

KGB13
15th August 2010, 9:45 AM
May was way too cocky and pushed Bulbasaur way too hard in this episode, I'm glad the contest judges said something.

But overall, I liked this episode, just not May's attitude.

G50
5th March 2011, 6:45 AM
This episode was good. May shouldn't have used Bulbasaur. May was very arrogant in this episode, especially to Ash. She was arguing that Coordinators were superior to Trainers, when really they're both equally great. Bulbasaur was definitely very shy for her 1st contest. She got stage fright. May really deserved the talking to by the judges for her bad attitude during the contest. Ash really showed he cared by talking to May afterwards about what happened and the judgement errors she made.

60/100

Caseydia
8th November 2011, 4:30 AM
Yeah I know that most of these posts are more than year ago, but I find it puzzling that Ash's behavior in Brave the Wave isn't heavily critiqued (some posts certainly did so, but not as much as here), while May's behavior is touched upon quite a bit more.

I know I'm replying late but Ash was very heavily critiqued in Brave the Wave, Mandrine Island and with alot of other episodes too. He's just a kid. But everyone makes mistakes. Yes, even girls.

Vernikova
15th July 2012, 2:31 AM
Savannah would've been a character I would've liked to see again. Actually, I don't remember if we do but I doubt it. Drew wasn't such a total *** in this episode so that's good for him I suppose and Savannah wasn't a totally useless coordinator.

7threst
30th September 2012, 9:08 PM
Savannah was really nice in this episode and I cheered in some cases more for her than for May - that seemingly had a total different kind of personality than before. The battles were great too and I thought it was really good to see May losing again - this gave her even more character development and experience.

And was it me, or where those cheerleading moms quite reminiscent of Gary's Cheerleaders squad.

Nekagi
16th August 2014, 11:48 PM
I might get shunned by a good number of people on this site, but... I really don't like this episode. Why?

1. May didn't go through character development (until the end at least), she went through character DERAILMENT. It eerily looked similar to how Ash behaved in Brave The Wave, except much worse, and at least it made more sense in Brave The Wave because Brawly was a tough Gym Leader. Also, when I said "character derailment", I was referring to when May yelled at Ash only because he was trying to help.

2. The battle. As Brock pointed out, because of May's derailment, Bulbasaur gets understandably nervous, and does May care in the slightest? NO! Because of May's derailment, Bulbasaur can't fight, and for some reason gets paralyzed by Shock Wave, which DOES NOT cause paralysis! And when May loses, 2 more characters get derailed: Contesta and Sukizo. All 3 judges are WAY too hard on her and accuse her of being an abusive trainer, but at least Nurse Joy had the right. Contesta and Sukizo have no excuse because they've seen May perform before! Also, it made her cry (I would, too...). At least Ash was kind enough to help her understand.

3. Team Rocket. I would be much more interested in the subplot where Team Rocket sells these giant ribbons than what we got. Good old-fashioned TR comedy without having them being annoying sometimes.

The reason I'm posting about this episode is because due to the inspiration from Mr. Enter's Animated Atrocities, I made my own with this episode:
http://emiohki.deviantart.com/art/Animated-Atrocity-Cruisin-For-A-Losin-476036940

I'm not going to be surprised if anyone disagrees because they are opinions after all.

Painkiller2001
7th November 2014, 6:54 AM
It's not every day that an episodes title speaks so loudly about what happened in the episode.
With the way May was acting, she was literally crusin' for a losin'