PDA

View Full Version : That's Just Swellow! (356)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:02 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/356.jpgThat's Just Swellow

In their travels, Ash & Co. find out about a Flying contest called the PokéRinger Contests. It puts your flying Pokémon to their ultimate abilities. Ash decides to enter his Taillow, but things get tough when they get into it...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/356.shtml)

Discuss

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 9:39 PM
I loved it when Swellow had evolved..this was a nice ep...

Espically the debut of Pokeringer...it was so amazing. I'd love to see it again...

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 12:40 PM
I saw the Japanese ep of this a while a ago and I love it! What a cool episode!
I love it when James uses Jessie's Dustox to take part and he actually done really well with it (didn't cheat!).
Dustox is cool! I loved it when Taillow evolved into Swellow and it travelled through that big orange tornado and beat Dustox!
It was too close for comfort!

Torkoal Stu
18th December 2004, 4:42 PM
another important ep because ash's taillow evolves into swellow and i thought of a dub title (it is pretty lame)

-don't forget to swellow- (don't forget to swallow) ;277;
-i'm felling swellow- (i'm feeling swell) ;277;

Raize
9th January 2005, 7:51 PM
Hmm, This seems like a good episode I see it's the one where Taillow evolves into Swellow Pokeringer eh? Seems cool I like the way Taillow evolves it's kinda good I'm waiting for this one!

ChaosMage
16th January 2005, 9:36 AM
No, American titles don't usually give spoilers in the titles. They're usually hidden meanings (Current Events springs to mind) How about Bird Battle?

Black Marauder
4th February 2005, 2:02 AM
i made a dub...ok two!

swift swell oh
bug o swell
-----
lol jus kiddin.im not creative:D

Torkoal Stu
4th February 2005, 7:06 PM
No, American titles don't usually give spoilers in the titles. They're usually hidden meanings (Current Events springs to mind) How about Bird Battle?

What do you mean? Also what about

Takin' the Lombre home! or You can never Tailow! or I feel Skitty! they all have the main pokemon in the title!

King Shuckle
8th February 2005, 5:45 AM
Because the episode was about Skitty......not sure about the Lombre one thohgh

My Dub Guesses
~Bad Air Day
~The Highs & Taillows

Torkoal Stu
14th February 2005, 12:45 PM
Because the episode was about Skitty......not sure about the Lombre one thohgh

My Dub Guesses
~Bad Air Day
~The Highs & Taillows

lol!I think it will be about Talliow or Swellow! It better! I think The highs and talliows sounds right I can imagine it now! but all titles people predict are always close because on Balance of Power! everyone Said Losing your Balance or Fighting for Balance!

frednmethod
14th February 2005, 12:49 PM
My Dub Guesses
~Bad Air Day
~The Highs & Taillows

Or this.

'All's Swell'

Kinda sux, but so do many of 4Kids' titles.

Torkoal Stu
14th February 2005, 1:02 PM
Or this.

'All's Swell'

Kinda sux, but so do many of 4Kids' titles.

Where should I start at lame titles I know Poetry Commontion, Going Going Yawn, Go Go Ludicolo, Pros & Con Artists, ect!

jolteonjak
20th March 2005, 3:09 AM
How about "Through the Pokeringer" (assuming they keep the same event name)

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:47 PM
i'm soo looking forward in seeing this episode.can't wait to see Taillow evolve!

Torkoal Stu
31st March 2005, 9:09 PM
How about All's Swellow Here? or Go Go Talliow? I like that second one even thought its just like the ludicolo ep thought but who cares?

Kanadian Kyuubi
28th May 2005, 2:20 PM
That's just Swellow is the title.

What we should expect is:

A great debut for Pokeringer
Great debut for Swellow (the title gave it away, how swell!)
No crazy TC's. If they say Pidgeot evolves into Fearow or a simliar occurance, I'll be MAD!!! :(

;024; > ;336; = :(

Torkoal Stu
28th May 2005, 3:22 PM
Great debut for Swellow (the title gave it away, how swell!)

Swellow has alreayd been debuted. In Candid Camerupt. Its had a VERY VERY bad voice.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
28th May 2005, 4:30 PM
I saw this episode. Pretty good!
IMO, it would've been better if James had faced his old master and beaten him. I'm glad he got a lot of spotlight time, though. Same with Dustox.
Swellow has quite a bad voice. I'll get used to it, but at the moment, it's really meh-ish.
Yay for another Swablu! Shane's hairstyle matched its little thing on the top of its head too. We've seen other instances of this before, but this one was pretty funny.
May and Max were quite eccentric in this episode :0. Kind of frightening, almost.....

Overall rating:
9.4 out of 10!!!
Not too bad. I still think James facing his master would've really improved this episode.

SC~ out

Thriller
28th May 2005, 4:33 PM
Not anymore Torkoal Stu, not anymore.

Swellows *New* dub voice is amazing! It makes my favorite Ash pokemon even more favorite. The episode was great, the contest was not what I thought it was which was a good thing and we get more "James Past" which 4Kids most likely messed up. Thats one for the mix tape

2 more eps till Torchic evolves and 4 more till James gets Chimecho

Jonouchi
28th May 2005, 4:34 PM
This was a good episode. I thought the Pokeringer competition was cool. For a first timer, Shane knew what he was doing, using the wind to his advantage. I loved May's expression when she lost. Swellow's voice was a bit annoying, though

9/10

Really good episode, one of my favorites

Kijuna
28th May 2005, 4:43 PM
James should have won. It would have been a good buildup for Ash to realize that Swellow isn't as powerful as it should have been and teach it Aerial Ace.

Not to mentiopn the fact that he just gained a sudden burst of competence. Jessie's mean. :(

Sweet May
28th May 2005, 4:55 PM
yea but i enjoyed the episode.......but yea James should've won........

V Faction
28th May 2005, 4:57 PM
2 Complaints.

-The freakin' episode started too early! I missed around 3.5 seconds of it! My VHS is ruined.

-"Taillow, use Wing", or something to that effect. My guess is that they put "attack" after so many moves whilst dubbing, that this time they forgot that Wing Attack is Wing Attack, not a Wing attack. My, what a mouthful. Though, it is perculiar, as the rest of the episode contained no such slip-ups.

There's something weird about having Pokemon without the -Flying type participating... Sure, they have wings, but it seems unnatural.

Geki
28th May 2005, 4:59 PM
This was a pretty good episode overall. I liked how Taillow and James got some spotlight, it was nice for a change. The part when Taillow evolved was kinda cheesy, but I'll still happy Taillow evolved. The only screw up I found was Volbeat using Thunder insread of Thunderbolt, and Taillow using Wing. ''Taillow quick, use Wing!!''. Anyway, it was a great episodde overall, like I said.

8/10.

CyberCubed
28th May 2005, 5:07 PM
I liked this episode a lot.

Nice to have a mini-tournament in the middle of the season, and it was nice to have a flying pokemon competition for once.

Isn't it funny the way AG continues to focus almost only on Ash and May, leaving Brock and Max in the backround in almost every episode?

If this was a Johto episode only Ash would be competing, but since this is AG they had May take a lead role as well. Nice to see James have a major role as well, he hasn't had one in awhile.

Lots of Pokemon appearances, Wingull, Pelipper, Golbat, Crobat, Volbeat, Swablu, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Skarmory, etc. Nice way to showcase some pokemon we haven't see in awhile.

And so Ash's Taillow evolves into Swellow, thank goodness he didn't pull a Pidgeot with it.

2 Complaints.

-The freakin' episode started too early! I missed around 3.5 seconds of it! My VHS is ruined.

Same here! :D I missed the opening few seconds before the theme song, I saw the kid talking about his Swablu for 2 seconds and that's it before the opening. Damn you KidsWB for airing this a minute too early!

-"Taillow, use Wing", or something to that effect. My guess is that they put "attack" after so many moves whilst dubbing, that this time they forgot that Wing Attack is Wing Attack, not a Wing attack. My, what a mouthful. Though, it is perculiar, as the rest of the episode contained no such slip-ups.

I noticed that too, I guess 4kids did that for lip sync reasons. Perhaps they didn't have time for Ash to say "Attack" afterwards, so they just had him say use "Wing".

FlamingRuby
28th May 2005, 5:08 PM
What DOES Swellow sound like, anyway? (is thankful that she doesn't have to put up with Taillow's parrot voice any more...)

CyberCubed
28th May 2005, 5:10 PM
What DOES Swellow sound like, anyway? (is thankful that she doesn't have to put up with Taillow's parrot voice any more...)

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as Taillow. Imagine Taillow's voice saying "Swellow" instead, and that's what Swellow sounds like.

Medea
28th May 2005, 5:48 PM
Well then...

-This episode was okay! I do like Swellow though
-I LMFAO when Meowth said "What's second prize getting kicked in ths shin?" (or something like that)
-And I do agree...James should have won! I'm sorry to say it but he should have!!! And I think he handles Dustox a hell of a lot better than Jessie.

Brinstar
28th May 2005, 5:49 PM
I loved this episode, but Swellow's dub voice saddens me. I miss its powerful, manly, gruff middle-aged japanese man sounding voice XD. This episode is awesome simply because we see Taillow kick some butt one last time and see James have one of his super power moments.

Miss Mudkip
28th May 2005, 5:59 PM
yea the episode did start early that i didn't get 2 see the beginning...i changed the channel and itz the theme song at 9:59 and i'm like what?

FlamingRuby
28th May 2005, 6:01 PM
So basically Swellow sounds more like a low pitched parrot...

::sigh:: When will they ever learn to make good dub voices?

Don't get me wrong, they've made some good ones, but these recent ones are just...blah.

Cyndaquil
28th May 2005, 6:15 PM
Is it the same voice as Vitos swellow from the winstrate episode?

Gravy
28th May 2005, 6:34 PM
Sounds pretty much exactly the same as Taillow. Imagine Taillow's voice saying "Swellow" instead, and that's what Swellow sounds like.
...how crap. Excuse the bluntness.

Brocksketchum
28th May 2005, 6:38 PM
I noticed that too, I guess 4kids did that for lip sync reasons. Perhaps they didn't have time for Ash to say "Attack" afterwards, so they just had him say use "Wing".

My reaction to "Wing" was the same reaction the champion had when he lost against Ash. :D

Did anybody enjoy James' many expressions today? I certainly did!

Darn Kids WB for starting too early! But that doesn't take away the enjoyment of the episode, does it?

Is it the same voice as Vitos swellow from the winstrate episode?
It seems 99.99999% similar to me. Everybody else may have the answer.

Puffs
28th May 2005, 7:05 PM
I liked this episode.

-The only non-flying types were Volbeat and Dustox
-If this were Johto, Brock would be competing with his Crobat
-I liked Swellow's dub voice
-James and Dustox got a pretty good role.
-That guy with the Swablu. His hair scared me.
-Did anybody else notice the Golbat in the net when they were in the hut? Its skin and eyes were miscolored. It looked like a wierd Golbat-Crobat mutant.

Argy
28th May 2005, 7:33 PM
The good:
-Entertaining episode
-James always deserves more screentime
-I like Swellow
-James standing up to Meowth
-Volbeat's voice (still love it!)

The bad:
-4Kids's errors: "Wing," James saying "MY Dustox" (uh... not yours!), Swellow's voice
-Kid with the Swablu (he was unnecessary, and his hairstyle annoyed me)
-Taillow/Swellow's cheap win
-Jessie and Meowth not even watching James compete (even when Jessie's beloved Dustox was there too), then ruining his exit

MayAsh1987
28th May 2005, 7:38 PM
I liked this episode, it was nice for a competition to show up for once. Like the rest of you guys, it was weird it started early, I thought it was my VCR at first since I recorded by hand. According to my VCR and kitchen clock, it started at 8:57. I was like okay........

Then after the 2nd half and the last little part, they waste 5 minutes of commercials instead of 2 or 3 minutes.

Back to this episode, Swellow evolving was great. I liked how James was focused in the Pokeringer, and made a challenge for Ash. Shane was cool, he wasn't those other kids who brag like Sandra. (Sorry, I just hate her!)

James called May by her name, nice surprise. Also he wanted to win fair and square. I laughed at the part when he threw the flag at Meowth.

Meowth and Jessie recited the motto.

Also I noticed the "wing" mistake. I noticed on the captions before Ash said it.

Overall I give 7.3 out of 10. What I liked the most was the whole Pokeringer idea.

Encyclopika
28th May 2005, 7:53 PM
This episode was...ok. I usually don't think highly of filler eps, but this one was funny and enjoyable.
Swellows voice at first, kind of sounded like Grovyl...but that was my only problem. I liked the idea of the episode. I can't believe May lost so easy, even though I felt it coming. ^^;

onix lord
28th May 2005, 8:01 PM
This episode was pretty cool! I liked seeing all of the trainers' flying pokemon. Volbeat was cheap though, how it used Thunder to knock out the other opponents. Good thing that guy lost.

Chris
28th May 2005, 8:11 PM
Apparently Swellow has to sound like Taillow. Wonderful how 4Kids seems to not realize that Oosubame's deep voice was supposed to symbolize that a small bird grew up into a bigger bird, like child to adult. :| If anyone wants a voice sample of Oosubame to compare to Swellow, lemme know.

V Faction
28th May 2005, 8:12 PM
I miss its powerful, manly, gruff middle-aged japanese pedophile sounding voice XD.
Fixed.

Also, this is NOT the old Swellow's voice. Well, if it's the same person, the sound is different and much better anyway.

Apparently Swellow has to sound like Taillow. Wonderful how 4Kids seems to not realize that Oosubame's deep voice was supposed to symbolize that a small bird grew up into a bigger bird, like child to adult. :| If anyone wants a voice sample of Oosubame to compare to Swellow, lemme know.

Oh Shut up. It deepened. It still sounded like a bird. What more do you want?

For a guy who has a big problem with the way the English Ludicolo sounds, you seem to adore the equally as gruff Japanese Swellow voice.

Chosen of Mana
28th May 2005, 8:21 PM
Great Episode.

James being a challenge
Seeing more of James slightly vague past
Swellow
Tournement style competition
James expressions

Aside from Swellow, James was the star of this episode. Maybe it's the outfit O_o;.

.Bambi.
28th May 2005, 8:30 PM
-Did anybody else notice the Golbat in the net when they were in the hut? Its skin and eyes were miscolored. It looked like a wierd Golbat-Crobat mutant.
You mean this (http://img141.echo.cx/img141/4514/grobat24gu.png)? I call 'em Grobat :p

No, I havent seen the episode yet [Fan with a Plan aired today in Canada].

About Swellow's Voice, as long as it doesn't sound like Vito's, I'm fine. Hell, even if it does sound like Vito's, it sure is a big improvement from it's machoman-esque low Japanese Voice *shudders*

Geodude
28th May 2005, 8:36 PM
-The only non-flying types were Volbeat and Dustox
In the original, one of the pictures (I think in the series of past champs) was of a trainer and his Heracross. I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub or not.

About Swellow's Voice, as long as it doesn't sound like Vito's, I'm fine. Hell, even if it does sound like Vito's, it sure is a big improvement from it's machoman-esque low Japanese Voice *shudders*
Swellow's Japanese voice is badass, how can you not like it? And no, it definitely does not sound exactly like Vito's. Vito's was higher-pitched...maybe that means that his is female? :p

V Faction
28th May 2005, 8:37 PM
You mean this (http://img141.echo.cx/img141/4514/grobat24gu.png)? I call 'em Grobat :p
Heh. You get the "Made V Chuckle" Award.

And for any person wonering about the TC, it asked what Pokemon evolved into Swampert. Clearly, the answer was Marshtomp.

I see they were playing it safe this week. ;)

In the original, one of the pictures (I think in the series of past champs) was of a trainer and his Heracross. I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub or not.
I'm pretty sure it was there. They also had Beedrill on one of the pictures too.

Silver Ryu
28th May 2005, 9:18 PM
This episode was really cool! I loved the Pokeringer competition, it's really creative! (If I was there, I would have entered with my Flygon or my Pelliper) Yay, Taillow evolved! Swellow's voice isn't that bad, but it could have been better. And the Swablu guy did have weird hair. It looked like those feathers on Swablu's head. But then again, there are a lot of anime people with weird hair.

Shadlone
28th May 2005, 9:35 PM
Great ep.

Lotsa James action made it so.

wobbanut
28th May 2005, 10:17 PM
I just came from watching this episode, and I have to tell you, the high still hasn't come down. :D Even though James didn't win, the fact that he did so many great tricks, strategies, and attacks, even with a pokemon he doesn't even own (just like with venosaur in "One Trick Phony"), was more than enough for me to enjoy this episode. :D :D :D Not only that, it was great to finally hear him call a twerp by name (I just about fell out of my seat when he said "May"). It was also interesting to see Meowth do James's lines in the motto for a change too. He hadn't done that since, technically, "Island of the Giant Pokemon" (he quoted the whole end of the motto).

Over and above, though, James made this episode. I love episodes where he takes charge (like "The Fortune Hunters"), and it's been great to see three episodes where he's beaten the twerps (yes, I include "Cheer Pressure"). I was definitely impressed. :D

10/10 for me.

EDIT: Thanks to taping the afternoon airings of Pokemon trying to get "Judgment Day", I FINALLY got to see the beginning of this episode. :D

.Bambi.
28th May 2005, 10:22 PM
Heh. You get the "Made V Chuckle" Award.
Heh...I didn't think it was funny at all. Unless you're being sarcastic...O.o

I'm pretty sure it was there. They also had Beedrill on one of the pictures too.
Yup, there was Beedrill. The Pokemon I've counted that participated in the PokeRinger Competition are as follows:

Crobat, Skarmory, Beedrill, Volbeat, Ninjask, Swellow[Not Ash's], Golbat, Jumpluff, Grobat, Skiploom, Wingull, Hoppip, Yanma, Pelipper, Spearow, [Apparently] Heracross, and of course, Swablu, Taillow, Beautifly and Dustox.

Swellow's Japanese voice is badass, how can you not like it? And no, it definitely does not sound exactly like Vito's. Vito's was higher-pitched...maybe that means that his is female? :p
I just dont like it. I'm okay with Pokemon's Voices becoming lower and more adult like with evolution, but Swellow's Japanese Voice is freakishly low. Even more-so, IT'S A BIRD!!! :o So I just feel that it's JV is unsuitable.

Heracross
28th May 2005, 10:24 PM
Heh, I guess I should watch this one, it sounds really good. Since Kojirou is my favorite character, it's always nice to see an episode like this that gives him a large role... or Musashi and Nyasu for that matter - if you ask me, all three of them have been rather screwed-over in Houen. :P

And seeing a Heracross make any sort of appearance is always good. ^_^

Kamex
28th May 2005, 11:56 PM
Cool episode today. I was about 30 seconds or so late in watching it, too. Strange how they started a bit early.

Apparently Swellow has to sound like Taillow. Wonderful how 4Kids seems to not realize that Oosubame's deep voice was supposed to symbolize that a small bird grew up into a bigger bird, like child to adult. :|
What are you talking about? The only difference with Swellow's voice as opposed to Taillow's is that it was deeper, which is good. It may have sounded quite a bit like Grovyle, which isn't good (although I like Grovyle's voice), but Swellow's dub voice was fine.

Nice to see that James actually made it to the finals, even beating the new character of the day. And his "conversation" with Meowth by way of flag-language was hilarious. Then, Meowth took James' part in reciting the motto, just like he took Jessie's in an earlier Advanced Challenge episode.

When I saw that irregulary-colored Golbat, I thought there were suddenly two Crobat in that net, but later there were two Golbat and one Crobat. XD

I'll rate this episode 8/10.

Kanadian Kyuubi
29th May 2005, 2:07 AM
10/10

This was the best non-filler EVAR! The most funniest part (I am suprized you have not talked about this) was when Swellow landed the ring at the end, Dustox crashed into the Goal Pole (cool, it rhymes!).

Volt was pretty tough in both ways, and his Volbeat was awesome! But you thought Slugma's voice changed alot, try Volbeat. This is the 3rd voice change that Volbeat has had (Camp Pikachu, then Love at First Flight).

Shane was pretty unique, and the Pokeringer idea is pretty cool. Kinda like a game of Pokemon Soccer, right down to the specifics (GOAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!). Only problem was that Meowth goofed up, Wingulls do not go "Chirp Chirp", Swablu does that. Wingull says his name (oh yeah, even Pellipper kept his regular dub voice).

Sweet May
29th May 2005, 2:15 AM
10/10

This was the best non-filler EVAR! The most funniest part (I am suprized you have not talked about this) was when Swellow landed the ring at the end, Dustox crashed into the Goal Pole (cool, it rhymes!).
yea i like that part and it was funny

Wing
29th May 2005, 2:24 AM
I only saw the second half of this episode, which saddens me, cause it seems to have been a really good one. =/

Anyway.
Pros:
- James was pretty awesome in this episode. He did really well in his battles with Shane and Ash. Go Jimmy! ^^
- Swellow's dub voice was pretty cool. I liked the one back in Candid Camerupt, but this one is cool too.
- Ash was on freakin' fire in his last battle with James. It's times like these that make Ash my favorite charecter in the series.

Cons:
- I know he was just a trainer of the day, but I think Shane could've been done a bit better. He just...annoyed me. His Swablu was adorable though, as all Swablu are. ^^

Overall:
9.7/10 Pretty darn good, but it falls just shy of perfection.

ShiningClefairy
29th May 2005, 3:20 AM
LMAO! I don't know why I found this so funny, but this is the funniest thing I've heard in Pokemon in a LONG time.

"Wobbu-hic"

Kthleen
29th May 2005, 3:24 AM
But you thought Slugma's voice changed alot, try Volbeat. This is the 3rd voice change that Volbeat has had (Camp Pikachu, then Love at First Flight).Are all Pokémon supposed to sound the same? I think that variation adds (at least a tiny bit) to the reality of it. I don't see why they should all sound the same.

This episode was really fun. 9.5/10. The Pokéringer thing was more fun than regular battle, and James' success made me happy. That tornado thing seemed kind of silly to me, though.

PDL
29th May 2005, 3:56 AM
I enjoyed this episode as well, it was nice to see James get some spotlight and character development :D

Pokemon Fan
29th May 2005, 5:29 AM
The problem I had with Swellow's voice was it didn't seem to portray any feeling. Taillow's seemed to have more emotion behind it, while the Swellow's just seemed to be a bored repetition of "Swellow." But maybe/hopefully I just need to get used to it. On first hearing it at least that voice really bogged down my enjoyment of an otherwise excellently done evolution scene, gotta love Swellow tearing apart a tornado. ^_^

Other things of note:

The dub's habit of zooming in slightly through the whole episode can be really annoying and noticeable in episodes like this. I don't understand why they suddenly started doing this occassionally then always in Hoenn. When Volbeat came out an otherwise great image was marred by most of its antennae being off camera.

In the anime it seems, quite rightly so, a flying Pokemon is one that can fly, even if Flying isn't one of its types.

Are they going overboard to make the average person in the Poke world look completely stupid? How on Earth did Meowth's Wingull costume look "relaxed"? To have them so easily and instantly give up their Pokemon like that was painful to watch, and I'm normally not bothered by those scenes. Or was the explanation something else in the Japanese version?

I just love scenes where the Pokemon introduce themselves along with the people:

Ash: "Hi, my name's Ash."
Taillow: "Taillow."
Pikachu: "Pikachu."

Amd so we are introduced to Swellow. Let's all come to love him since he'll be the strongest, most well-represented bird Ash has ever had. The writers love him! ^_^

Geodude
29th May 2005, 5:44 AM
I just love scenes where the Pokemon introduce themselves along with the people:

Ash: "Hi, my name's Ash."
Taillow: "Taillow."
Pikachu: "Pikachu."
I know, me too. There's just something about those scenes that displays exactly what the anime is all about.

Kanadian Kyuubi
29th May 2005, 2:17 PM
Well, all the Pelipper I've seen on the show have had that same voice, all the Pikachu and Pichu, but NOT the Slugma, they have the most changed voice in history. Forget thinking about what they are going to call Onigirl next (Munchlax Episode), do Slugma appear more times soon?

Korobooshi Kojiro
29th May 2005, 6:24 PM
Volbeat's Channel voice is diffrent too, and very...odd.

Anyway, weird music stuff going on....okay, I am devestated that they didn't leave in the Insturmental Remix of OK, when Volbeat was fighting Taillow. They don't seem to have a problem with that song in the dub.

And also, Advanced Adventure played for like 30 seconds. In the original, it played up to the part where Team Rocket fly up in their baloon.

Weird. And Swellows voice sounds weird, I liked the 'Sube"!

Pika Hikari KT
29th May 2005, 7:56 PM
AWESOME~! James gets more spotlight(getting revenge[in my mind] for when Jessie took his Weezing to use in the Princess Festival back in Kanto), an excellent contest, and TAILLOW EVOVES~! I love Swellow...such a beautiful Flying-type.^_^ And it can kick serious ŕss as well, if anyone has trained one in the games.;) Now its voice could be better; but it's much better than Vito's Swellow(thank god). I was expecting some sort of trill, but that's just me.^_^; Anyways, 10/10. Excellent eppie.

Robert
31st May 2005, 12:29 AM
This was a great episode. Team Rocket was actually funny! It was great to see James do pretty well. Swellow's voice sounds fine in my opinion. Some pretty good action, too. Other than the "wing" error, I loved this episode.

Togemon
31st May 2005, 1:51 AM
Pretty good episode. Though I missed the beginning, unfortunately.

Parts I liked -

- Taillow is focused on! Good to see the bird to be used in battle.

- Dustox also appears! :D

- That Pokeringer competition was interesting, though I doubt it'll be ever seen again, I for sure wouldn't mind.

- We got to see TR, actually James and Dustox, kick some butt. He did pretty good in the battles.

- Meowth saying James part in the motto.

Parts I really did not like

- Ash won. I usually do not like it in any show when the main star wins. Would have been an interesting twist if James won, and it would have been well deserved.

- I missed the last few episodes, so I don't know if Taillow was used in battles, but it seems like its evolution came out of no where.

It was a great episode though, 9/10. One of the better episodes of the series IMO.

Heracross
4th June 2005, 9:46 AM
Ah, finally watched this episode, and it was really great. It had it all - comedy, cool aerial battles, an evolution, and probably the most time in the spotlight Kojirou has had to himself since "Holy Matrimony". We even get another small piece of his complicated past! Definately a huge plus in my book. ^_^

Puffs
4th June 2005, 2:49 PM
Taillow was pretty much Ash's weakest pokemon, so its evolution was prety spontaneous.

The part where Meowth and James were using flag signals was hilarious XD But they were doing them all wrong.

Gravy
4th June 2005, 3:17 PM
...am I the only one who thought that the characters sounded like they were saying 'Prostate Town' half the time? >_>;

Personally, I'm not fond of either Swellow or Oosubame's voices. Swellow sounds just as retarded as Grovyle and Oosubame's is just plain freaky. Its just a similar case to Ludicolo and Runpapa, who I feel both have pretty annoying voices.
But anyways, yes, this was a great episode to watch, and it was nice to see Dustox take such an active role for once, as well as James. I do wish he had gone up against his old master instead of that rather pointless Trainer-of-the-day character. That would have been a lot more interesting.

...any one have any idea as to why Wobbuffet seemed to randomly hiccup half-way through saying its name? It seemed to be oddly out-of-the-blue.

Alfonso
4th June 2005, 4:13 PM
...any one have any idea as to why Wobbuffet seemed to randomly hiccup half-way through saying its name? It seemed to be oddly out-of-the-blue.

Most likely due to some craxy Japanese joke that we don't get. ^^ Did anybody else around Wobbuffet have hiccups? I know there's this belief in Japan that you can 'give' someone hiccups like you can 'give' someone the flu. o_o

Professor Ivy
4th June 2005, 4:32 PM
Final Tallow evole. I through it was cute to see more of James's past. but that trainer unform. That scary.

MayAsh1987
4th June 2005, 6:45 PM
I want to update on my response. I watched again several times and grown to like it more. So this rating is now 8.3 out of 10.

I didn't mind seeing Ash winning, but the prize of winning to be honornary citizen is just crap. Thats is why I gave such a sort of low rating at first. You be the star at some town they your never will come back. And if even James won, (which I wouldn't mind either), I bet he'll never coming back either.

They should of gave a something better like a plaque, trophey, check, anything as a prize then some honornary citizen, s**t what happens Ash comes back all grown up. I bet some people won't recognize him. Sorry, but how I see it.

Heracross
4th June 2005, 10:09 PM
I thought the reason Soonansu 'hiccuped' was because Nyasu dropped the ring in it's mouth and he gagged on it. I can't remember for sure though, it went by pretty fast.

WindyNight
18th June 2005, 11:03 PM
YTV aired this episode today at noon...I have to say that this is a pretty cool episode...I love May's expressions when he lost to James...lol..
It's just weird that James has Jessie's Dustox....
I actually hoped James to win..But oh well...
Overall, I give a rating 7.5/10 for the episode...^^

Torkoal Stu
26th June 2005, 9:29 AM
ZOMG! I just saw this ep.

Good:
*James did well without cheating and beat May.
*Swellow has a new voice instead of the Vito one which sucked.
*Meowth doing the moto always pleases.
*Swellow was cool and Johto pokemon made apprences Skiploom ect.
*Dustox got some time after Jessie leaving it out for ages.
*Nice to see some more of James' past which seems to be alot lately.(Chimecho was to do with his childhood dream to so more of his childhood)

Bad:
*"Talliow use Wing!" lol, I was laughing for ages iwht that one.
*Lame trainers choice.
*The annouceer had Tracey's voice which I don't like.

Just plan wierd:
*Meowh and his flags telling James things, I was like WTF!

Anyway veyr nice 9/10

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
26th June 2005, 2:36 PM
yeah the "use wing" thing was bad.

Funny that straight after his opponent said "what?"

I loved swellow's voice! and I like it how it wasnt a classic pokemon evolve kick total *** things, cos Swellow nearly lost to Dustox!

I loved May and Beautifly's faces when they lost in the first round!

9.5/10

ChaosMage
26th June 2005, 9:58 PM
I've seen it and... it was good. Any evolution is in my good books, and this was a nice one overall. A very lovely episode. Also, have you noticed that evolution episodes generally have better plots/characters/battles etc. than normal episodes. Do the writers just work harder when they know they have to make a major storyline work.

Ash XD
9th July 2005, 3:30 AM
someone has a link to let me hear Swellow's voice?

Transducer
9th July 2005, 4:00 AM
Yeah this episode was preety cool. Other than that slight dub error, it deserves a thumbs up.

I give it a 9.2/10

RedJirachi
29th January 2006, 5:49 AM
I could've sworn I saw a trainer with a Moltres as a previous Pokeringer winner

Riva
10th July 2006, 11:36 PM
How gulible are people in the pokemon world to mistake a disguised Meowth for a real Wingull?

Dustox was much stronger under the command of James than Jessie.

Judai Yuki
11th July 2006, 1:59 AM
I never got to see the part where Tailow evolved.

-Judai

Ashy Boy
11th July 2006, 9:37 AM
Great debut episode for Swellow. The only thing I couldn't stand was that cocky cowboy-esque trainer who lost to Ash in the first round.

Judai Yuki
11th July 2006, 4:05 PM
Well,he lost quickly.I was surprised Volbeat had Thunder. o_0

-Judai

C.J. Ray
12th July 2006, 10:38 AM
If you were a player of the games and had guides(like I did), you'd know that Volbeat can use electric attacks. I liked how James was so clever, but in the end Ash won by using his new Swellow to get the ring on the post. Only thing was that the dubbers said "Use Wing!"

I want to take a photo of that picture of Ash at the end and put it on my (phantom) website. :D

Reece
13th July 2006, 5:53 PM
Wow, this was a great episode. I was rooting for James though.

SilverStar_234
22nd December 2006, 12:15 PM
I like the episode. The pokeringer game is interesting.

About Trainer's Choice, they showed that Seviper evolves from Arbok.

Pacman
11th January 2007, 6:16 PM
Well, Swellow appeared. And of course, TR lost the contestes.

A OK episode.

DSRGBA
22nd February 2007, 9:13 PM
minor crobat appearance 10/10 lol
well anyway episode was nothing special and nothing really bad 7/10

PAK Man
28th March 2007, 6:14 AM
About Trainer's Choice, they showed that Seviper evolves from Arbok.

That wasn't this episode. That was A Fan with a Plan.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. The PokeRinger tournament was a unique event, and having James compete in it and actually get second place was nice to see. I also like how they showed off Taillow's Guts ability again by having it withstand Volbeat's Thunder.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but did anybody notice that Shane's hair looks just like Swablu's antennas?

penngrade6
1st April 2007, 4:32 PM
This was a nice episode. I loved Tailows loyalty to Ash as it went in that twister thing just to win. Then it evolved, and it was mad cool.

dman_dustin
24th July 2008, 11:30 AM
I never wanted James to win so I'm glad he didn't. I mean at least Ash tried with the whole tornado thing and James was too full of himself to actually make me care about him, so I'm glad Ash won the contest.

I liked this episode because Taillow evolved into Swellow. And while I really don't care for Swellow in general I take exception to Ash's.

Luigi-the-Breloom
26th July 2008, 10:27 PM
Aw... I really wanted May to win, because Ash gets the spotlight in everything. But I'm happy James got to do things this episode.

My one real gripe with this episode was the title. The dubbers practically spoiled the episode by revealing the main event so early.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:11 AM
I didn't find the whole contest thing very entertaining. But Swellow is just so awesome. Good episode.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 12:38 PM
ah in this episode taillow finally evolved into swellow, it was enjoyable to watch^^

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 3:17 AM
I just hoped James would win...
but yeah good that Tailow evolves to Swellow..it was a good end

Willow's Tara
5th November 2009, 5:08 AM
I liked this episode too, mostly because Swellow is a favorite Pokemon of mine (Next to Pidgeot). I felt sorry for James though and laughed when he threw the flag at Meowth, how is it when Jessie wants to do her contest honestly none of them tries to steal Pokemon but when James does they don't let him do it properly (Meowth hasn't gotten that chance before either like in the Johto series when he wanted to play fair in the hot air balloon contest)

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 3:35 PM
the pokeringer tournament was great.

James was very strong with Dustox. he almost won the tournament.

But the biggest event was of course Swellow.

9/10

saar
6th July 2010, 1:25 PM
James did a nice work with Jessie's Dustox. He didn't win , but no one can ever forget his good tournament. Swellow won especially because of its speed.

KGB13
9th August 2010, 7:59 AM
I love how James is always skilled in the most obscure things lol.

But this episode was pretty good, I'm glad Taillow evolved.

Good episode.

Lorde
16th November 2010, 10:21 PM
This was one of my favorite Advanced Challenge episodes since it featured Taillow's evolution at the end. We got to see a new type of competition that wasn't in the games in this episode too; the PokéRinger competition which was made especially for Pokemon who could fly. The COTD was able to convince Ash and May to enter the competiton which got things started; he looked a lot like his Swablu haha. Ash's Taillow versus that other guy's Volbeat was a pretty intense battle since Volbeat could use Electric attacks but Taillow pulled through and won. May versus James was sort of surprising since James actually won with Dustox. Meowth dressed as a Wingull was so funny though! That last battle was really good since we got to see James actually push Ash and Taillow to their limit. Taillow evolved in time to win the round which was a little too convenient, but still better than nothing. I loved how original this episode was, so it gets a 8/10.

G50
5th March 2011, 6:55 AM
This episode was good. It was cool to see a PokeRinger competition for the 1st time. It was great to see Tailow finally evolve into Swellow. I'm glad Ash won the competition with Swellow surviving the winds/tornado and finishing the win. It was cool to see James enter the competition as well.

69/100

Vernikova
17th July 2012, 8:29 PM
The PokeRinger contest was terrible. It didn't help that it starred the personality devoid Tailow either.

7threst
1st October 2012, 8:10 AM
I loved this episode and the whole competition. I really thought it was an interesting concept and how Tailow took the spotlight and evolved at the end. I'm always enthusiastic about episodes like this were competitions are implemented.

Painkiller2001
7th November 2014, 7:18 AM
When we first saw that Shane kid, I was thinking "nice hair, weirdo!" than I realized his Swablu had the exact same thing on it's head.
Then I felt guilty. :(

Glad Ash's Taillow evolved in to Swellow. :)

phanpycross
26th November 2014, 11:45 AM
Such a cool evolution episode, swellow really stepped up after this episode :D

Dark/Legendary Master
26th November 2014, 5:46 PM
PokéRinger are always epic. Swellow straight up turned into Bird Jesus upon evolution.