PDA

View Full Version : A Shroomish Skirmish! (358)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:04 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/358.jpgA Shroomish Skirmish!

In their travels, Ash & Co. are accidently seperated and Corphish gets attacked by som Shroomish & Brellom causing Torchic to get really mad. What will it do?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/358.shtml)

Discuss

frednmethod
26th October 2004, 5:09 AM
I simply loved this episode.

I really like seeing conflicts between the pokemon and not just the trainers.

It was really funny at the end when combusken gave corphish that scary look to fend him off from her food.

Hales
26th October 2004, 7:45 AM
Just seeing Torchic get mad is amusing! But getting mad because Shroomish and Breloom were picking on Corphish sounds not only amusing but sweet...

Way to go, Torchic!

Tate+Liza
21st November 2004, 6:29 PM
Probably evolve. My mommy said that to me. She is a BIG Pokefan and bugs me a lot. Mommy, shut up!

~*Aurora Wish*~
25th November 2004, 4:26 PM
combusken was good at fighting the breloom.

Space Skitty
25th November 2004, 8:05 PM
I thought it was sorta ironic how Torchic & Corphish weren't getting along. (Both are my sister's favorite Pokemon.) But it was sweet when Torchic helped Corphish. I wonder how this episode will be in America...

Wolf Cypher
28th November 2004, 12:44 AM
God, how I can't wait for this episode! But if they continue to show 2 episodes a Saturday, in less than 3 months we'll be there! We're getting through Hoenn kinda faster than I thought. It would be weird to see May's Combusken in the 7th movie when it comes to the USA and she hasn't gotten it yet in the anime.

Torkoal Stu
19th December 2004, 2:43 PM
this ep is SO cool because combusken is SO cool and i thought of some dub names

-combusken explosion- (pun on the words combustion explosion)
-don't be a torchic- (pun on the words don't be a chichen)
-poisonous breloom- (pun on the word poisonous mushroom)

Raize
2nd January 2005, 5:19 AM
This is an episode I will be surely waiting for it's the one where we got to see Combusken although I have heard it's voice I want to see it's personality and the evolutions seems nice waiting for this episode!

Gravy
21st January 2005, 4:11 PM
After watching this, I've found it to be one of the most enjoyable Advanced Generation episodes I've seen so far. I personally found there to be quite a lot of good elements to it, and the blend of amusing and serious scenes actually worked really well.
I feel the best part of this epiosde though was definatly the battle between the 2 newly evolved fighting pokémon. The fight itself just felt really different to a lot of battles I've seen throughout the series, and it really stood out. I especially enjoyed the hand-to-hand combat portion between the two. It was nice to see pokémon fighting purely using their strength and prowess, instead of using special attack and long distance moves to gain the advantage. And even though there were a few sections of animation used more than once, it really was a good fight to watch IMO.

I do hope 4Kids reconsider a different voice actor for Haruka's Combusken, as the one used for Nurse Joy's in 'Having a Wailord of a Time' really wouldn't suit it at all.

Thriller
21st January 2005, 4:33 PM
This is one episode I really want to see. Combusken's personality is the exact polar opposite of how people thought it would be. Combuskens Smile at the very end put a tear in my eye.

Rex Kamex
1st February 2005, 9:42 PM
I saw the Japanese episode, and one of my favorite parts was when the Breloom started beating up Ash, and then Ash started yelling at them, and a little bit later, Brock pulled him away, and Ash was still yelling. ;286;

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
11th June 2005, 3:33 PM
This was a pretty funny episode. Grand Theft Apple. LMAO at that. And Ash trying to beat up the Breloom and kept missing. Grovyle got a part as well, though minor. Still cool, though. Swellow got a big role as well, which is always good. Breloom had an odd dub voice, but it was alright. Combusken's was great, and Swellow's seems to have improved. I noticed the animation was a lot better than usual here. And the fight scenes were all excellent(except Ash vs. Breloom, but there was humor in that so, oh well!), too, especially the fist fight between Combusken and Breloom. Torchic got to show its sensitive side one last time before evolving, and I'm glad it did, too. It really showed how drastically evolution changed it.

Overall rating:
10 out of 10!!!!!
Definitely the best evolution episode I've ever seen. Humor, action, and the infamous 'splitted up groups' style, all in one episode. Excellent.

~*CB*~

Thriller
11th June 2005, 3:36 PM
Go Combusken!

My least favorite May pokemon became my favorite with this episode and I loved it.

CyberCubed
11th June 2005, 3:39 PM
Very nice episode today.

I usually love the episodes where the gang gets all split up and have to find their way back together again, and this was no exception.

For some reason I really liked the May and Mudkip combo. Makes me think May would be better off with it than Brock. This episode also proves that Mudkip is a Pikachu clone, trying to stop the fight between Corphish and Torchic.

Team Rocket stoping to eat the food and then continuing to recite the motto was funny, as well as Corphish and Torchic going nuts over each other.

Breloom ganging up and Ash was nifty too, it shows that Ash is far more fierce in Hoenn than he ever was before, willing to stick and fight rather then run away with Brock.

The ending battle scenes were great, Breloom was really working Corphish around. This episode again shows how an evolved pokemon really is stronger than an unevolved one, May's Torchic must have gotten 10 times stronger, as well as those Breloom that evolved from Shroomish.

It was also nice to see May not sure what attacks her new Combusken would use, it would be out of character if she started commanding it without a hitch.

And lmao, the final scene where Corphish tried to steal more of it's food but then Combusken told it off was hilarious. :D

Jonouchi
11th June 2005, 3:41 PM
This was a neat episode. Breloom was strong in this episode, it's making me start to like Breloom now. I also liked the fight between Combusken and Breloom, but did anyone notice that the fight ended the same way with Bulbasaur and Meganium in Ash and Jackson's battle? It'd be nice to see Breloom again soon

8/10 Really good episode, I'd like to see it again

Neo Flygon
11th June 2005, 3:44 PM
I noticed a mistake; when the pokemon were all running around, they are called into the pokeballs; then cut to team rocket, and when it came back to the gang, the pokemon were still running around.

ŁańkaŃ
11th June 2005, 3:44 PM
Very nice episode today.

I usually love the episodes where the gang gets all split up and have to find their way back together again, and this was no exception.

For some reason I really liked the May and Mudkip combo. Makes me think May would be better off with it than Brock. This episode also proves that Mudkip is a Pikachu clone, trying to stop the fight between Corphish and Torchic.

Team Rocket stoping to eat the food and then continuing to recite the motto was funny, as well as Corphish and Torchic going nuts over each other.

Breloom ganging up and Ash was nifty too, it shows that Ash is far more fierce in Hoenn than he ever was before, willing to stick and fight rather then run away with Brock.

The ending battle scenes were great, Breloom was really working Corphish around. This episode again shows how an evolved pokemon really is stronger than an unevolved one, May's Torchic must have gotten 10 times stronger, as well as those Breloom that evolved from Shroomish.

It was also nice to see May not sure what attacks her new Combusken would use, it would be out of character if she started commanding it without a hitch.

And lmao, the final scene where Corphish tried to steal more of Corphish's food but then Combusken told it off was hilarious. :D

Yes...i agree with you...the only thing i didn't like was the TITLE of the EP...lol

besides that...everything that you said...is what i liked too :D

Kijuna
11th June 2005, 3:48 PM
I hope they build more on the Combusken/Corphish rivalry/friendship. That was the best part of the episode.

[Insert standard complaint about how TR was trying to not die and shouldn't have blasted off in the end]

Shikamaru
11th June 2005, 3:58 PM
This was a good episode! I luaghed at ash trying to beat up the breloom it was so funny! And the battle between combusken and breloom was really cool as well!
I give it a 10/10

CyberCubed
11th June 2005, 4:10 PM
I noticed a mistake; when the pokemon were all running around, they are called into the pokeballs; then cut to team rocket, and when it came back to the gang, the pokemon were still running around.

Only Swellow was still running around with them in that second scene, they must have called back all their pokemon except for Swellow.

Professor Ivy
11th June 2005, 4:16 PM
This was a good episode! I luaghed at ash trying to beat up the breloom it was so funny! And the battle between combusken and breloom was really cool as well!
I give it a 10/10

yeah, Satoshi was pretty fun try to flight, but I we saw he can't I like the motto because James vould not rermber were they leave off, though the eating part was little suck.

Points to Satoshi (Veronica Taylor)
Nyaasu (Madeline Blaustein)

Gravy
11th June 2005, 4:30 PM
A question; Did Combusken still have the same voice as that of the one in 'Having a Wailord' of a time? And if so, did they at least make an effort to make it sound more feminine?

Geki
11th June 2005, 4:34 PM
This was a really great episode. I liked the part especially when Torchic evolved into Combusken and used it's fighting attacks with ease. The animation in this episode was awesome as well. Does anyone know the animation team who did this episode?

Overall 9/10

Medea
11th June 2005, 4:39 PM
This episode was pretty good. I am soooooooooo glad that Torchic evolved (because I've always said that May's Torchic is such a wimp) but Combusken is such a cool pokemon.

...And yes Gravy, Combusken sounded the same from Having a Wailord of a Time

Wing
11th June 2005, 4:39 PM
...I always that the Torchic/Combusken was male. When was it ever confirmed that it was female? O_o;

Anyway, yeah they used the Same VA.

As for the episode itself, I think this one totally hit the mark. It was funny in parts, and the battle scenes were just great. Also, I hope as well that the thing with Corphish and Combusken is expounded upon more. They've done a great job developing the Pokemon themselves and not just the trainers in the Houen Arc, and I hope they continue that.

10/10 This episode was, in every sense of the word, perfect. Now to just wait for the lovely Winona to show up....^_^

MayAsh1987
11th June 2005, 4:45 PM
Ah HELL NAH! This is one of the funniest episode I seen from the past couple months. It had everything I liked. Rivalry, comedy, drama, a fighting scene! Could go more into details. Also all the Pokemon was there, a plus and Fortress came back. Haven't seen the poor thing for months.

Torchic for once fought back. Wow! She was aggressive for just Corphish eatin' her food. Go Torchic! The fight with Corphish was funny. I liked how they kicked Mudkip and Pikachu out of the way. Aw snap, there isn't no peacemaking for today you two.

Damn, those Shoormish and Breloom gettin' mad for apples. It shows that they don't like anyone touching any of their food. It kind like in real life how animals could get aggressive over something little, like an apple.

Ash made me laugh so hard today. I liked how he wanted to fight the Breloom, not with Pokemon, but his bare hands! Shows he more aggressive then we think which I like. Damn you Brock, why couldn't you leave him alone.

But the topping of this episode was Torchic evolving and fighting Breloom. I was glad that May didn't know what new attacks Combusken had. That proves that she's still learning which is good. I love the fight between Combusken and Breloom. Fight to the end!

There more I want to add but the 4 I mentioned is the best I liked. I'm giving this for once 10/10. First one in this website I give. It have everything I liked. I would watch this episode again and again.

PDL
11th June 2005, 4:57 PM
I liked this episode, every action packed... hehe... grand theft apple...

*mourns loss of adorable torchic*

Gravy
11th June 2005, 4:58 PM
...I always that the Torchic/Combusken was male. When was it ever confirmed that it was female? O_o;
In the japanese version at least, it has a distinctly feminine sounding voice in both of its forms, and generally acts in a stereotypically cutesy way. So, that pretty much says it all really :/
The Torchic/Combusken in 'Having a Wailord of a Time' was pretty gruff sounding in the original, so that was was more than likely male.

;_; @ keeping the voice though.

Sweet May
11th June 2005, 5:01 PM
da episode was ok................. itz kool da way tat Combusken and Breloom fought and itz kool tat May's Torchic evolved. Although i'm gonna miss it.................

Blackjack Gabbiani
11th June 2005, 5:28 PM

I also noticed that when James sees the apple, Jesse leans over Wobby to get to it, and then Wobby pops up behind her. Actually, he seemed to disappear when she leaned over him. Looks like this ep is rife for the Japanese Mistakes topic.

Hey, was Trainer's Choice actually RIGHT for once? Whoo!

Corphish is such a brat. It's so great. And I love that voice. Especially when it's teasing with "Feesh, feesh, feeeeeEEEeeeeesh!"

Wow, Ash wanted to battle the Breloom himself? If he were Jesse, he could have captured one.

Swellow's voice seems to have changed to a more birdlike noise.

Wow. Brock used Forretress--the Pokemon the Writers Forgot.

So...Breloom are part Grass, and yet they only use Fighting moves against the 'feesh?

Great. The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever. And was that one of the longer evo sequences?

...and it instinctively knows how to fight, how to move with its new body, all that stuff?

Wow. TR did nothing wrong this ep and they still get punished. They're doomed to be the eternal whipping agents, aren't they? I mean really now, NOTHING WRONG AT ALL. I can see why the Shroomish would be mad, but still, that doesn't excuse it.

Emma Iveli
11th June 2005, 5:45 PM
I liked it, I liked the parts when Corpfish was teasing Torchic and it looked high (when the bqack ground was all psychdelic) and when Team Rocket found out what Combusken and Breloom were going to do. Great episode.

Silver Ryu
11th June 2005, 5:49 PM
I loved this episode! It was really funny! LMAO at the Grand Theft Apple bit. This episode was a great mix of humor and all-around coolness. I don't really hate Combusken quite as much as I used too. (I used to think it was ugly. I still kind of do.) And what do you know, the Trainer's Choice was actually right this time! I give this one a 9/10.

;256; oOOOOO @=;286;

Brocksketchum
11th June 2005, 6:15 PM
Goodbye Torchic and hello Combusken! Anyways...

I guess I was the only one who liked Jessie's head expanding when she was yelling at the Breloom.

But we all enjoyed Ash getting into such nonsense, don't we? :D

Medenia
11th June 2005, 6:24 PM
I really hate corphish, that pokemon gets on my nerves, especially when he was being greedy and stealing food from torchic.. The funniest part was The grand theft apple, and any parts that involve food.

Pika Hikari KT
11th June 2005, 6:43 PM
I hate that May's Combusken has the same voice from 'Having A Wailord of A Time'; it should've at least sounded female(but I noticed it got a bit higher during the DBZ-like battle with Breloom). But the animé earns points for drawing Combusken well...I thought it looked kinda cute compared to the ugliness that was the R/S sprite.^_^

Trainer's Choice was well done--If I remember correctly, Venomoth has 4 times resistance to Grass attacks, of which Sunflora has nothing BUT(save the occasional Synthesis and Sunny Day). Even though Sunflora has pretty good Special Attack, it sucks in the other areas(especially Speed). With some well placed Psychic attacks, Venomoth would defeat Sunflora in a few rounds.

The group 'splitting up' was nice. I'm pleased they remembered Mudkip's little radar; I've always thought it was neat. Though I question Ash going to fight the Breloom recklessly...doesn't he remember his past experiences with Fighting types(Primeape sure rings a bell)? TR was hilarious throughout the episode. The 'Grand Theft Apple' line was priceless.

One more thing...Pikachu shocked everyone out of stress. I always love when that happens!(Lightning: Maybe cause you do it too?:D) Shut up.-_-; 9.5/10.

Chris
11th June 2005, 6:56 PM
I hope they build more on the Combusken/Corphish rivalry/friendship. That was the best part of the episode.
I can't say they've actually done anything between the two after that, really. o_o;

Almighty Zard
11th June 2005, 7:08 PM
th only nitpick i have about the episode is the part after Forretress caught Ash, Brock, and TR and Swellow came to get them, i could've sworn Swellow said Tailow first and then Swellow which was odd, but that's just me.

wobbanut
11th June 2005, 8:32 PM
This was a pretty cool episode. The only thing that really sucked about it was that Team Rocket still got blasted off at the end. For pete's sake, apples grown in the wild are free to anyone. The shroomish could still get some more fruit anytime. It wasn't like Team Rocket would have had to pay for them. At least they didn't get chastised for finishing the stew.

On the positive side, it was great to see Torchic evolve and really kick some serious butt. :) I'll miss sweet little Torchic, but I'm glad to see her become a buttkicker (yes, I'm pretty convinced it's a girl). It was funny seeing her do some Torkoal-style crying (I'm surprised there weren't any comparisons, even though they have different trainers). I liked the "Forrest Grumps"- and "A Hole Lotta Trouble"- style group splitup too. Meowth with Max again was really funny. :D

Team Rocket had some great material too. I liked them taking a break to eat before they started up the motto again, and Wobbuffet popping out the first time lying on his back. I think this was also the first time in a long time he's ever been recalled on-screen (remember how Jessie was doing it constantly in the old days?). It was nice not having Team Rocket call out their pokemon for a fight or try stealing pokemon for a change, though I do love Cacnea. :D

Oh yes, and I LOVED Ash going to fight the brelooms. ROFLOL :D I just about died laughing when the brelooms broke apart and we see Ash ready to take them on.

Overall, 8/10.

Encyclopika
11th June 2005, 8:49 PM
This...episode...was...great! I loved how Torchic's personality changed so much when it evolved. The TC was accurate, and I loved Breloom's voice. It fit it very well.

The only thing I have to complain about it Combusken's voice. I really hate how they have the same voice for every individual of a species. Combusken sounded the way the other one did in Having a Wailord of a time. Besides that, I still give it a 10/10. Great job! ^^

Pokemon Fan
11th June 2005, 9:15 PM
The only thing I have to complain about it Combusken's voice. I really hate how they have the same voice for every individual of a species. Combusken sounded the way the other one did in Having a Wailord of a time.
I don't understand why everyone is saying this. To me the voice was fairly different. Even if it was the same voice actor the voice was done a bit higher and with more emotion, all in all making it sound much better. ^_^

Trainer's Choice was well done--If I remember correctly, Venomoth has 4 times resistance to Grass attacks, of which Sunflora has nothing BUT(save the occasional Synthesis and Sunny Day). Even though Sunflora has pretty good Special Attack, it sucks in the other areas(especially Speed). With some well placed Psychic attacks, Venomoth would defeat Sunflora in a few rounds.
Not to mention Bug and Poison (its two types) are strong against the pure Grass type Sunflora.

This was a pretty cool episode. The only thing that really sucked about it was that Team Rocket still got blasted off at the end. For pete's sake, apples grown in the wild are free to anyone. The shroomish could still get some more fruit anytime. It wasn't like Team Rocket would have had to pay for them.
The apples may grow on trees but they aren't in infinate supply. Just like with real animals inconsistent food supplies like fruit need to be closely guarded and stored for later use. Look on any nature documentary and you'll see food is rarely easy to come by, even in lush forests. Fruit in particular is difficult to get as different trees give fruit at different times, and often the animals have to wait for the short period where they are ripe enough to eat.

Besides TR did take them right off their heads, even if the Shroomish could go pick more apples they had a right to be angry. How would you feel if you went out in the woods for a couple hours of harvesting and had the food taken from you as you headed home?

All in all, I bet TR could have gotten some food from the Shroomish if they had simply nicely asked, but hunger makes you do crazy things.

<><><>

Anyway, this was one of the most enjoyable episodes I've seen in a while. High points included:

Ash taking on a pack of Breloom with his bare hands and actually repelling them for a moment with his "eyes-closed tantrum-throwing fists of fury" attack! The look of surprise on the Breloom's faces when he erupts from under their punches is hilarious. Then there is the odd explosion of pink smoke when they renew their attack...

GREAT animation and lovely battle effects.

It seems when it comes to Iron Tail, size matters.

Breloom had a decent voice I think.

Swellow's voice sounded a whole lot better in this episode, though perhaps I am just getting used to it.

Lots of great interaction among the Pokemon and human characters.

Nicknames! "Littlest twerp" for Max, "Twerpett" for May, "the twerps" for Ash and Brock.

The twerps experience blasting off for themselves, and like TR they emerge rather unscathed, even when falling without Forretress's help. Seems to be a rule in the anime that if are blasted up to a great height and fall you won't die, but if you simply fall straight down from a great height you "might" die.

James: "Where did I leave off?"
Meowth: "Right around 'make it double.'"

TR going into a state of ecstasy after eating the soup.

Ash: "Take thisandthisandthis!!!"

Meowth *translating* : "Nice punch." "You too." *mimics them falling over unconscious*

I liked how the Shroomish called up a bunch of Shroomish who were ready to evolve, instead of TR just happening to encounter a group of Shroomish about to evolve.

Grovyle, as usual, was awesome.

Aerial Ace
11th June 2005, 9:28 PM
I personally have disliked the Pokemon Anime since after the first season, but I saw today's episode. Had some ups and downs.

+ Ash seemed as if he was getting beat up by a bunch of Breloom....it also seemed like he thought he could take on 3 of them. Hehe.
+ Torchic evolved into teh super cool Combusken. I also thought it was a good idea the way it evolved.
+ Combusken vs. Breloom was well done.
- I thought Breloom's voice sounded annoying...
- It seems like whenever everyone splits up, Max always ends up with Meowth.
- It was kind of dumb when Brock suggested that Combusken should use Fighting attacks on Breloom, or something along those lines; when it could've used some Fire attacks.

CharZard
11th June 2005, 9:31 PM
I liked the hand to hand one on one battle between Combusken and Breloom. The animation was well done.

MidnightScott
11th June 2005, 9:53 PM
I thought it was weird how Combusken could automatically use Sky Uppercut when it has to be at like a High Level to use that move?

Anyway, I thought it was good that Torchic finally evolved. It was such a baby before.
It evolved for a good reason to protect Corphish...Anyway, those Breloom were stupid for attacking Ash & Co, they had nothing to do with Team Rocket.

Team Rocket should of asked the Shroomish if they could have some apples to eat and Meowth could of explained that they haven't eaten for 2 days.

I thought Brock was dumb for suggesting to May that Combusken should use a Fighting move on Breloom when Breloom is also a Grass type - he should of said use a fire move...

It was funny when Torchic & Corphish knocked Pikachu & Mudkip into a tree face first.

I think this was an overall good episode.

9/10

-Scott-;229;

Kamex
11th June 2005, 10:12 PM
This was a great episode, with lots of long-since-needed humor.

You know that attack Combusken used, the one they called Fire Spin? Was it really that in the original Japanese version? I mean, I never got to see the spin, although it could have been because it never got that far.

It's sad that May never chose to use Torchic in a Pokemon Contest, but now that it's evolved into a Combusken, she's about to use it soon.

I'll give this episode an 8/10.

ChaosMage
11th June 2005, 10:13 PM
Being a UK person, we're only half way through the Rubello contest right now, so I haven't seen this one yet. I'll post my opinion when I've seen it properly. But I love Corphish rivalries- Grovyle, Torchic, Lombre, Skitty- all great episodes! It's good that we have a complete dickhead on the good guys side who is still a good guy in himself. Gotta love the little crab!

Ethereal
11th June 2005, 11:13 PM
Swellow's voice seems to have changed to a more birdlike noise.
So I WASN'T going crazy when I heard its voice this morning and went "o_O". It's voice is slightly more different than last weeks.

Wow. Brock used Forretress--the Pokemon the Writers Forgot.

Yeah, that brought a little smile to my face. Too bad that's the last time we'll see it. ;-;

So...Breloom are part Grass, and yet they only use Fighting moves against the 'feesh?
It's the quickest way to get the job done.

Great. The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever. And was that one of the longer evo sequences?
No, that title belongs to Clamperl --> Huntail....*shudder*...And yeah, that evo sequence was dragged on.

...and it instinctively knows how to fight, how to move with its new body, all that stuff?
I didn't see you questioning how those Breloom knew how to fight and move. Plus, you said it yourself. "Instinctively"...Plus, it's a cartoon. :rolleyes:

I thought it was weird how Combusken could automatically use Sky Uppercut when it has to be at like a High Level to use that move?
How many times does it have to be said that the Animé =/= Games/levels?

ANYWAYS, I thought this was a pretty good and funny ep. We got some evolutions, comedy, and whatnot. Plus, the last part with TR was hilarious. The Breloom said something to them, and J & J said, "We agree with you completely," with huge smiles on their faces. Then Meowth goes, "They said they're gonna get us for stealing their Apples."...That was hilarious. XD

Gravy
11th June 2005, 11:28 PM
You know that attack Combusken used, the one they called Fire Spin? Was it really that in the original Japanese version? I mean, I never got to see the spin, although it could have been because it never got that far.Yes, it is indeed a Fire Spin. Though I do agree with you, the differences between both it and flamethrower don't tend to be few and far between. Sometimes it actually DOES look like a ring of spinning flames, which will be seen in later episodes.

The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever.
.... ;__;

Rudoku
12th June 2005, 2:04 PM
The cutest pokemon ever evolves into the most hideous beast ever.
This is wrong for the pure fact that this wasn't a Feebas or Seadra episode.

Kanadian Kyuubi
12th June 2005, 2:20 PM
10/10
This was the best evo episode ever!
I just feel sad that little Torchic evolved into...this AWESOME COMBUSKEN!
He is the best thing ever concocted! Breloom had a neat voice, that being my hope answered for the M6 voice of Breloom.

We had some funny parts, it was part Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon (the fire type evolves to save his friends), part Forest Grumps (everyone including TR get jumbled up), and part funny.

Mudkip and May were awesome, I'm suprized that the writers did not put in a tribute to the Mudkip she did not choose (have him squirt May), but this episode was just plan funny! Now we don't have another evolution episode until Lombre evolves into Ludicolo, so sit back, and watch the filler's get good. I am truly excited about S8 fillers, and we start off S8 with Spoink again.

The funniest part, Corphish and Torchic, they should have made an episode with 30 minutes of non stop fighting between them! But let us clarify something, when Ash called everyone back, he forgot Swellow and Grovyle, because Swellow was ABOVE him and Grovyle was sleeping, so that explains the Pokemon running during the 2nd dodge run.

frednmethod
12th June 2005, 3:28 PM
It's amazing how Grovyle did just ONE thing in the episode, but it remains as one of the coolest action in this episode. It breaking up Torchic and Corphish with leaf blade was just amazing.

Geodude
12th June 2005, 5:13 PM
Grovyle is the most badass Pokemon Ash has ever had. :D

Kamex
12th June 2005, 9:52 PM
Yes, it is indeed a Fire Spin. Though I do agree with you, the differences between both it and flamethrower don't tend to be few and far between. Sometimes it actually DOES look like a ring of spinning flames, which will be seen in later episodes.
Yeah, I thought for a second that they confused Flamethrower for a Fire Spin. O_o

Grovyle is the most badass Pokemon Ash has ever had. :D
So was Primeape and Charizard. But Grovyle's the peacemaker and the punk, all at the same time. Kinda like Bulbasaur was, except evolved, lol.

phoenix12
13th June 2005, 12:33 AM
wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....was it considered a fire spin in the Japanese version, too?

Gravy
13th June 2005, 12:47 AM
wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....was it considered a fire spin in the Japanese version, too?
Again, yes, it was a Fire Spin. And yes, its what attack Haruka comanded in the original, namely 'Hono no uzu'. Haruka's Combusken doesn't even know Flamethrower.

Eh, I just downl...I mean, legitamatly watched the dubbed episode via video tape, and it was pretty decent to say the least. The ONLY problem with the episode I had was Combusken's voice, which in my opinion, was just plain awful. They pretty much destroyed the cute appealing sound Wakashamo made, and I feel that its going to effect people's opinions on the pokémon in the long run. Yay, another reason for critisize Combusken ~_~;

But I love what they've done with Corphish. I haven't seen the dub in AGES, so I haven't really heard much from the little crustacean in the english version. Definatly the best pokémon voice of the entire Houen cast. Gotta love the 'Cor feesh! Feesh!"s it was shouting at Torchic :P
And James' "Grand Theft Apple" line made me chuckle~

I do think its a shame that any sort of friendship building between Corphish and Combusken never seems to take flight. It would have been interesting to say the least~

Sushi
13th June 2005, 1:02 AM
Edit: Okay, I'm slow^^

I loved this episode. Despite the fact that I love almost all episodes, this one was really something special.
Torchic vs. Corphish - great. They didn't even listen to their trainers. Something I could've expected from Corphish, but not from Torchic. It was hilarious when they were going berserk.
Ash vs. a bunch of Brelooms - hilarious. Loved how Ash waved about with his fists.
Corphish vs. Breloom - unfaaaair!! *cries about* *gets over it* What was that? Four against one? Five against one? Hundred against one? Poor Corphish. What a brave Pokémon though ^_^
Combusken vs. Breloom - Nice piece of change, a battle without proper attacks. Combusken was well-drawn, had an awesome voice (well... I'll get used to the dub voice, I'm sure), and it was very strong.
Needless to say that this is one of my favorite episodes of AG.

Pokemon Fan
14th June 2005, 9:40 PM
Torchic vs. Corphish - great. They didn't even listen to their trainers. Something I could've expected from Corphish, but not from Torchic.
AG seems to have a pattern of many Pokemon experiencing behavioral changes shortly before evolving. May's Wurmple wasn't hungry right before it evolved (if I remember right), Ash's Treeko became more aloof and distant, and Torchic became more aggressive. As May noted "what has gotten into you?" As these weren't evolutions brought about spontaneously through battle, but rather ones their bodies had been preparing for, it makes sense that their behavior would change a bit. Then all they need is a final push of some form to trigger the evolution.

And really, there is no evidence that a Pokemon wouldn't know how to effectively use its newly evolved body in battle, though it may take time to learn its full potential. Most people probably get the idea that Pokemon are sometimes awkward after evolution due to the problems Ash's Bayleef had. But Bayleef knew perfectly well how to use its new powers in battle, it just didn't know its own strength in calm, social interactions.

wait..how was that a fire spin? I realize Combusken will actually use fire spin in later episodes, but this DEFINITELY looked like a flamethrower....
That's because Fire Spin is an attack that can be used in different ways.The tornado of flame is one, but when first released it looks like a Flamethrower consisting of successive rings (much like how Hydro Pump has come to be seperated from Water Gun), and the Pokemon can keep it in that Flamethrower-form if desired. Also, the Fire Spin Combusken used here was never completed, as Breloom was able to use the shockwave from its Mach Punch to disrupt the flames. This was also likely why Brock recommended May try a Fighting type attack, since hand-to-hand combat is what Combusken is best at and the Breloom seemed to be able to deal with Fire attacks.

Its easy to tell the difference between Flamethrower and Fire Spin if one sees them side by side, but that won't happen in the anime for a while yet AFAIK.

WindyNight
2nd July 2005, 6:14 PM
YTV just aired this episode today at noon...
It's a great epiosde, IMO...I love the beginning when Corphish ate all Torchic's food...lol
And it was so sweet that Corphish was protecting Torchic when they got attacked by the Breloom..
Of course, Torchic's personality changed a lot when it evolved into the Combusken..
Overall, I give a rating 8/10 for the episode....^^

Togechic
2nd July 2005, 9:25 PM
I really wish they didn't evolve Torchic into Combusken. The latter's fine, but I predict it won't be half as fun as the original. Why not evolve Skitty instead?

On the other hand, any Corphish-centric episode scores extra points with me.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
10th July 2005, 11:11 AM
I loved combusken v Breloom! the way pokemon should always fight! with no crapy confusing moves! just bare fists. and legs!

100/10

Factory Head Noland
10th July 2005, 7:09 PM
This episode was just awesome! Probably one of the best. I love Combusken ^_^ it's so cool.

The battle between Combusken and Breloom was good when they didn't use any attacks and it was nice that it ended on a good note were they commented on eachother's battle skills.

I loved it when Torchic and Torkoal were fighting in the forest, Torchic using Ember, Corphish using Bubblebeam and when everyone returned their Pokemon, except for lil Mudkip ^___^
We actually saw it do something in this episode! I will treasure the Mudkip experience forever...

What was with the pronunciation of Mach Punch? I'm sure it was said wrong, they pronounced it "Mac Punch", should it not be said as Mach Punch?

Overall 9.5/10
Excellent episode, Combusken!

EDIT:

Here is another version of Fire Spin:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/Petalburg/Combusken1.jpg

Torkoal Stu
10th July 2005, 7:16 PM
What was with the pronunciation of Mach Punch? I'm sure it was said wrong, they pronounced it "Mac Punch", should it not be said as Mach Punch?

Yep I heard that too. Max and Meowth defenetly said "Mac Punch" when I thought it was "Mach Punch"

Anways Fortress and Mudkip got sometime and Mudkip used its head fin rador for the first time ever, which seems good. Some Torkoal time I saw packed in there ^^ And Grovlye was good when it cut a a thing in the ground. Good as Torchich's last epsiode, it was sooooo cute. Combuskens new voice is great I hated its slateport one.

Breeloom vs Combusken rocked with just the plain fighting and no fire attacks minus Fire Spin. The animation for Sky Uppercuut rocked. With its glowing claw. But they shrunk Swellow again in its firs episode Swellow was big and strong now its strong btu smaller ever since the Shuppet episode. I hope gets bigger soon again. :D

10/10 Good episode.

Batdude
10th July 2005, 9:22 PM
It's made me respect Corphish alot more anyway! I loved him from the offset, but not only is it so stubborn and selfish that it goes off in a hissy fit when it's in the wrong, but it stuck up for Torchic and was trying to protect it. I thought it was a pretty sweet tackle when it cleared two Breloom out of the way.

Plus, Brock's guys finally did something useful with the radar/rapid spin bits.

V Faction
11th July 2005, 12:18 AM
Yep I heard that too. Max and Meowth defenetly said "Mac Punch" when I thought it was "Mach Punch"
I just rechecked. What's the problem? Max said Mach Punch perfectly. You guys do know that Mach sounds like "Mahk" and not "match" or anything like that, right?

Alfonso
11th July 2005, 12:21 AM
I just rechecked. What's the problem? Max said Mach Punch perfectly. You guys do know that Mach sounds like "Mahk" and not "match" or anything like that, right?

I know. o_o Haven't you people ever seen those MACH 3 FROM GILETTE adverts? >_>;

Robert
13th August 2005, 10:19 PM
I liked this episode. There was a number of funny lines... I liked Max and Meowth's role in the episode. I also liked it when TR called May the "twerpette." :) The battles were splendid, as well. I'm not sure if Torchic should have been so strong when evolved, considered it wasn't the most skilled battler. Oh well, I still liked the episode.

Ashy Boy
11th July 2006, 8:38 AM
Great episode although I didn't like Torchic being a crybaby and Team Rocket ignoring the Shroomish when they stole the apples.

Judai Yuki
12th July 2006, 10:39 PM
I've never heard Pikachu laugh before this episode. *Kawaiiness*

-Judai

MasterJedi
13th July 2006, 5:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard somebody in TR say something like "Those apples had weaviles in them anyway". Kinda funny since now we have a Pokemon named Weavile in the US now. :p

Judai Yuki
13th July 2006, 6:10 PM
I doubt they said something like that.I forgot most of the dialouge from the episode(o_0 i just saw it yesterday).Maybe she said like worms or something.

-Judai

MasterJedi
13th July 2006, 6:52 PM
I doubt they said something like that.I forgot most of the dialouge from the episode(o_0 i just saw it yesterday).Maybe she said like worms or something.

-Judai

Only other thing it could be is Weedle but I'm 95% sure I heard Weavile.

C.J. Ray
13th July 2006, 9:38 PM
Nope, Jessie said "Those apples had Weedles in them!" You heard Weavile because it's pronounced the same way. (Watches fans brick PUSA for calling Sneasel's evo a confusing dub name and laughs.)

(Then visualizes a giant apple with Weaviles in it and laughs harder.)

Great episode, and I was glad Torchic evolved, but I doubt May will ever get a Blaziken, because it looks too cool for May. :)

Judai Yuki
14th July 2006, 7:15 AM
I loved that Ash tried to fight the Brelooms himself. :)

-Judai

Roeno
19th March 2007, 5:03 PM
The epi was so cool:
-the Breloom - Combusken fight
-TR's motto, with their mouths filthy
-Ash fighting the Brelooms

It was surely one of the best epis ever!

penngrade6
16th April 2007, 1:59 PM
This episode was simply hilarious. I thought it was so cute when Torchic defended Corphish. It was a fine time for Torchic to evolve, and I loved Combusken's reaction to when Corpish tried to steal it's food.

Battra
5th June 2007, 10:32 PM
Very good episode to bad Torchic had its food stolen by Corphish, but at least it won't happen again now that it's evolved into a Combusken. Nice to see Grovyle use a show of force to separate Torchic and Corphish, and what a battle between Combusken and Breloom going from using special attacks to using just fisticuffs.

Luigi-the-Breloom
26th July 2008, 9:34 PM
One word to describe this episode: shocking.

Way back before I became a May fan, I used to assume that she would scream when she saw the cute Torchic evolve. But I'm happy for the evolution. It transformed the clumsy and ditzy Torchic into something more assertive and strong, and it showed that the writers were intent on making May a competent trainer rather than some disposable ditzy sidekick. And seeing it fight fist to fist against my favourite Pokemon, Breloom, sealed this as one of my favourite AG episodes.

Luigi-the-Breloom
26th July 2008, 9:36 PM
One word to describe this episode: shocking.

Way back before I became a May fan, I used to assume that she would scream when she saw the cute Torchic evolve. But I'm happy for the evolution. It transformed the clumsy and ditzy Torchic into something more assertive and strong, and it showed that the writers were intent on making May a competent trainer rather than some disposable ditzy sidekick. And seeing it fight fist to fist against my favourite Pokemon, Breloom, sealed this as one of my favourite AG episodes.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 6:10 AM
Good episode. It's nice to see Pokemon get riled up at each other and not just the trainers.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:41 AM
oh i remember this one, this was the episode where team rocket did their motto with their mouths filthy, that was such a funny sight:P

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 2:15 AM
Love this episode, Torchic who evolves into Combusken...great<3

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:22 PM
The best episode in this season.

Combusken vs Breloom was the best battle in this ep, wow.

And i loved how Corphish protected on Torchic.

10/10

Lorde
24th December 2009, 6:37 AM
Loved it because I always knew Shroomish and Breloom had a bad side, and this episode proves it!

I was sad that May's cute little Torchic evolved into an ugly Combusken. I was even more disappointed that said Combusken hardly got any action in Hoenn.

Torchic really stood out in this episode. 6/10

Willow's Tara
10th May 2010, 5:42 AM
Pretty good episode, I liked the Breloom/Combensken fight, it was nice yo see Torchic evolved (Although it felt like it didn't have too much scenes). It was funny when TR didn't realize what Breloom/Combenksen said for a moment.

KGB13
15th August 2010, 9:34 AM
There were so many funny moments in this episode, where do I begin?

The first funny moment was when Torchic and Corphish were fighting, I like how Grovyle was just relaxing while it was happening and then stepped in to break it up. The second funny moment was when TR was getting chased by those Breloom, ran into Ash & Co. and just ate all their food. And the third funny moment was when when Ash got into a brawl with the Breloom, that cracked me up!

I also like how Corphish protected Torchic from those Breloom and then it evolved into Combusken and had that outstanding battle with them.

This was truly a fantastic episode and was my favorite one in AC.

G50
5th March 2011, 6:04 AM
This episode was good. It was great to see a Breloom for the 1st time. I like Breloom way better than Shroomish. It was cool to see Torchic evolve into Combusken. It was a great idea, it allowed the two fighting types to clash, and Combusken had the advantage. It was funny when Combusken gave a scary look to Corphish to keep Corphish away from its food.

74/100

Caseydia
10th March 2012, 12:25 AM
The episode was very surprsing. All kinds or crazyness and junk going on. It was nice to see Torchic evolve. I loved the fight too. Fried Chicken vs. Lettus and Tomatoes. Of course Combusken won.

Bulba the Great!
17th April 2012, 6:00 AM
Now THAT is how to make an episode. Despite being a 'focus' episode for Torchic, it really showcased most all of the main Pokemon pretty well, one or two aside. The animation, especially in the fistfight, was exceptional.

I am curious who Ash was planning on pitting against Breloom - Grovyle or Torkoal.

Vernikova
18th July 2012, 7:33 PM
Another merely "okay" episode. Combusken's design is so hideous and its evolution really came out of nowhere. really, Torchic barely battled much so far. I guess it's more of that good old off-screen training at work here.

TheSirPeras
5th August 2012, 5:32 PM
I really enjoyed this episode! Good to see Corphish and Torchic interaction, and the battle between Combusken and Breloom was great, especially the fist fight! Grovyle stopping Torchic and Corphish's fight was funny too! I believe Ash would have used Torkoal against those Breloom, well I hope it would! And it was so funny when Ash started fighting those Breloom :D I literally LOL'ed

7threst
2nd October 2012, 3:15 PM
This episode was pretty hilarious and seeing Torchic evolve into Combusken was great. The whole comedy with Torchic and Corphish was great too and I especially laughed at the end when Corphish tried to steal from Combusken and Combuskes warning him not to do it.

zhixun
30th May 2014, 9:07 PM
Although this episode focus between the two fighting Pokémon and develop the mutual respect but I think that Heigani should evolve instead of Achamo. Heigani did much of the hard work but Achamo barely contributed to the battle. Finally I like the scene that Heigani bullying Achamo while he was afraid when he tried to steal food from Wakasyamo. It is simply hilarious in my opinion.