PDA

View Full Version : Sky High Gym Battle! (361)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:10 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/361.jpgSky High Gym Battle

It's time for Ash's 6th Gym Leader battle. And this time its a flying battle. 3 VS 3, Winona decides to use her Altaria, Pelipper & Swellow while Ash uses his Grovyle, Pikachu & Swellow. Will he win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/361.shtml)

Discuss

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 9:36 PM
This episode was intresting...espically how well Groyvle did...and then how EXCELLENT Swellow had done...

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 12:30 PM
This episode was brilliant! Totally awesome battle, Winona's Swellow was strong!
I wonder why she never used her Skarmory in this battle aswell.

ŁańkaŃ
25th October 2004, 12:02 AM
Yea...winnona has a Strong Swellow, espically since it was a Shiny..but i like how a normal swellow looks compared to the shiny one...

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 1:05 AM
Winona's Swellow didn't sparkle when it came out of it's Pokeball but Ash's Noctowl always used to when it was on his team.

Crystal Latios
25th October 2004, 6:42 PM
Episode was nice. Winona is so adorable :) She has a very nice personality and nice voice. Honestly, I think, she is more interesting than popular Flannery. What a pity, we can`t see her hair.

A fight between Ash and Winona was fine, only I don`t understand, how Grovyle could beat Altaria. Altaria is a flying/dragon and it lost so quickly :( Its strange, that Ash`s pokemon have great Defence and GL`s pokemon are weak.

Sushi
8th May 2005, 4:31 PM
I think this Gym Battle is my favorite one (Yes, including Kanto and Johto battles).
The animation was great, all characters and Pokémon looked awesome (especially Grovyle). Winona was a really good Gym Leader - the strategy with Steel Wing as a defense for Thunderbolt was pretty neat^^.

I can't really choose which round my favorite was - Grovyle vs. Altaria or Swellow vs. Swellow... Meh, they were both great!
And of course - the music was good as always, I like it that they often use the Pokémon Heroes BGMs for Gym Battles.

jolteonjak
5th June 2005, 8:16 PM
Not a fan of the name though...unfortunately I can't come up with anything better.

Heracross
5th June 2005, 8:26 PM
This was truly one of the best gym battles ever - right up there with the Katsura rematch. Part of what makes it so great is the excellent animation. Too bad more important battles couldn't have animation this good.

That and Nagi is totally awesome. She's so beautiful, elegant, and graceful. :3

frednmethod
5th June 2005, 8:37 PM
Yeah, this episode was great.

Some people complain that the episode contained too much one hit KOs, but this doesn't battle me at all. In fact, it shows that flying pokemon are pokemon with weak defenses but good offensive strength and speed to make up for it, like in the games.

Grovyle vs Altaria was the best for me, now who doesn't love to see Grovyle slash its leaf blades at an enemy about sixty feet in the air and smash them onto the ground for quick and effective KO?

Geki
30th June 2005, 3:49 AM
Great episode, I loved this gym battle. Grovyle took out Altaria, I was surprised since it also had a weakness to Altaria. Swellow was really good too, however, I was disappointed in Pikachu who lost to Pelipper. Pikachu had a 4x advantage over Pelipper. Overall, a great battle and episode. I give it 9/10.

And good job for naming Winona's assistant Zachary, it's my name except people call me Zack.

Ash XD
30th June 2005, 11:29 PM
Please someone create a thread of Catch Snorunt!!!!!! I DON'T HAVE PERMISSION TO DO ONE!

jolteonjak
2nd July 2005, 5:46 PM
I just saw on Kid's WB that this will play next week! woohoo!!!

Waveblaster
3rd July 2005, 12:43 AM
I know, I thought it was this week and woke up at 9:00am so I could see it at 10:00am but then it was just a rerun. Only one more week and BTW Grovyle is proven to be really fast in this battle. Goes to show people Ash is now specializing in spped instead of power...

V Faction
9th July 2005, 4:30 PM
=O

(note: that is the last time you'll see me using that!)

Ah man, it was even more beautiful in person! Swellow vs. Swellow is indeed in the top tier for greatest battles. They even kept the 5th movie music! That MADE the battle.

CyberCubed
9th July 2005, 4:33 PM
Teh Shiny Swellow!!!111!1

I see Team Ota did the animation for this episode, everything was fluid and easy to watch. Everything right down to the eyelashes on May's eyes, Team Ota IS the best animation studio who do episodes.

May was just so pretty in this episode, Winona too. I LOVE the way these guys draw women, they looked really sexy. :x

Too bad these guys don't do every episode, Ash and May look much older in this animation style, and Winona had some pretty nice shots herself. Anyone notice the awesome camera angles? The bird and worm eyes view of the battle were great.

TEAM OTA FOR ACADEMY AWARD! HIRE THESE GUYS FOR EVERY EPISODE!

ŁańkaŃ
9th July 2005, 4:43 PM
Well...i'd say this as one of the best of the hoenns i've seen..as i can't choose which as the best..

but it was a great battle with GREAT STRATGEY...

i wonder...does that move Steel Wing stratgey work in the games? lol...i really liked to know...:D

well...i rate this ep... 9.6/10 :D

V Faction
Teh Shiny Swellow!!!111!1

I see Team Ota did the animation for this episode, everything was fluid and easy to watch. Everything right down to the eyelashes on May's eyes, Team Ota IS the best animation studio who do episodes.

May was just so pretty in this episode, Winona too. I LOVE the way these guys draw women, they looked really sexy. :x

Too bad these guys don't do every episode, Ash and May look much older in this animation style, and Winona had some pretty nice shots herself. Anyone notice the awesome camera angles? The bird and worm eyes view of the battle were great.

TEAM OTA FOR ACADEMY AWARD! HIRE THESE GUYS FOR EVERY EPISODE!
One thing's for sure: they sure do love drawing Grovyle.

Can you say, EXAGGERATIONS!?

Geki
Great Gym Battle, possibly the best so far in Hoenn. Grovyle was really great, I was surprised how it could match up against powerful flying types. I expected Pikachu to lose against Pelipper since Pikachu has so low defense. Pikachu did do good though, it's Thunderbolt was cool looking especially when TR was next to it when it was using Thunderbolt. Swellow VS Swellow was awesome as well, it reminds me of my Swellow in Emerald since it had Hyper Beam, the best move for a Swellow. It's STAB and is 150 power, what could be better? TR was funny with the Itemfinder. XD

Overall I give it a 10/10

Sweet May
9th July 2005, 4:46 PM
dis episode was kool with Winona's Swellow.......... it was a great battle......... ^_^

The Big Al
9th July 2005, 4:48 PM
One of the best episodes in a while. Ash was smart in this one. Using, the field to his advantage and letting Pelipper attack knowing it would unground itself.

Then of course we got the dog fight with the full E4 theme.

There's only one thing that spoiled this otherwise incredible episode. That's right, Team Rocket. They could have taking the episode off but one, they had to be idiots, running around in the catacombs and getting shocked by their metal devining rods.

Well animated and well written.

The Big Al's rating
9.3/10
TR came this one from a perfect 10.

V Faction
9th July 2005, 4:57 PM
Some quotes.

*TR blasts off*
May: Was that a shooting star?
Brock: ...whuh?

Winona: Ash, on days that are so beautiful and clear like today, my flying Pokemon and I are able to manifest much greater power than we're able to in less perfect conditions. Those of us whose dreams reach towards the sky are loved by the sky in return.
Ash: Wow, I didn't know the sky could love you.

CharizardMaster
9th July 2005, 5:24 PM
What I don't get is, shiny swellow uses hyper beams like crazy and regular swellow is hurt badly, it uses ONE wing attack and shiny swellow faints.

PDL
9th July 2005, 5:28 PM
easily one of the best gym battle in a long while... absolutely fierce... definately made up for the lackluster Norman battle...

if Team Ota isn't able to do every episode, they should at least do all the important ones...

jolteonjak
9th July 2005, 5:31 PM
I thought I read in the write up that Winona started with Pelliper in Japan, or was I on some good stuff? lol

It was a great episode nevertheless.

CharizardMaster
9th July 2005, 5:38 PM
Yeah. Overall it was the best gym battle up to date, that team rocket was a waste of time.

Pika Hikari KT
9th July 2005, 5:50 PM
The dogfight was definitely one for the record books...too bad there weren't any barrel rolls.:p Swellow are kickŕss Pokémon, 'nuff said.^_^ A great gym battle with nice strategy...They've pleased this birthday girl!:D Easy 10/10! Now for the Mind Badge; very easy in R/S, but Tate and Liza kick it up 5 notches in Emerald!@_@

Brocksketchum
9th July 2005, 6:40 PM

That quote gave me a good laugh. I want to see it submitted. :)

Well, I guess God can be mentioned freely after all these years or something.

Yes, we all know Team Rocket was a waste of time but check out their disco!

No barrel rolls? :( That would make this already awesome battle more awesome!

And what about that C when Ash's Swellow hit Winona's Swellow? Ah, that's not really important. The BGM of the action is what really mattered.

S.Suikun
9th July 2005, 6:42 PM
Finally, a gym battle that doesn't have crud animation and horrible subbed music. I'm glad TR actually called it an Item Finder this time (looks at Ecruteak gym).

Oh, and I can't believe nobody's complained about Trainer's Choice yet. Baltoy is Psychic/Ground, meaning Ledian would be DOUBLY effective against it. And Meganium would work just as well as Lapras.

Kanadian Kyuubi
9th July 2005, 6:53 PM
10/10

You know it was a good battle, because it was a good battle!
This is clearly the best gym battle in AG history, and it all went very good. The TR randomness was very laughable, the whole Pikachu's Thunderbolt on Pelliper's Iron wing makes the Divining Rods point towards it (I bet those rods were magnets), shocks TR and explodes them to the top and they do the motto and then get blasted off without notice thing was funny!

But the Swellow vs. Shiny Swellow battle was easily the best part, the debut of Areial Ace attack, and the extreme battle made this easily the best battle in History (yep, not just AG).

Now as we advance to Mossdeep, Tate and Liza look like a pretty cool Dynamic Duo, and Juan is going to make this Badge Season a great one!

V Faction
9th July 2005, 6:53 PM
And what about that C when Ash's Swellow hit Winona's Swellow? Ah, that's not really important. The BGM of the action is what really mattered.
It was part of the special effect. Almost like when a person gets a gleam in their eye, and you see that sparkle. That "C" got produced due to such an astounding move at a precise angle.

Yeah, don't look into much.

Oh, and I can't believe nobody's complained about Trainer's Choice yet. Baltoy is Psychic/Ground, meaning Ledian would be DOUBLY effective against it. And Meganium would work just as well as Lapras.
You mean because of it's part Flying type, right? TC has never approached it from that defensive angle before. IF you really want to get technical, Ledian's Flying type has no bearing on the subject because the Baltoy line isn't that offensive anyway.

And the reason Lapras got chosen was because it's both Ice and Water. 4Kids sees it and goes "Ah-haz0rs, it must be doublely effective against it!!111!!11", where as we know that either type is just as good when fighting your average Ground type.

The Big Al
9th July 2005, 7:24 PM
What I don't get is, shiny swellow uses hyper beams like crazy and regular swellow is hurt badly, it uses ONE wing attack and shiny swellow faints.
Ash's Swellow made a clean hit on Winona's Swellow's wing and at high speed. Also, Winona's Swellow had taken a Leaf Blade across the back (an attack that took out Altaria).

CharizardMaster
9th July 2005, 10:34 PM
Ash's Swellow made a clean hit on Winona's Swellow's wing and at high speed. Also, Winona's Swellow had taken a Leaf Blade across the back (an attack that took out Altaria).
True. But hyper beam also made a clean hit, but lets not flame each other.

Sushi
9th July 2005, 10:53 PM
Wow, nice they kept Altaria's voice ^^ On the other hand, why not keep Pelipper's voice too? Oh well.
The dubbed version turned out to be very nice, but I'd loved it even more if they kept the Regi music, I'm addicted to it :D

V Faction
9th July 2005, 10:57 PM
Wow, nice they kept Altaria's voice ^^ On the other hand, why not keep Pelipper's voice too? Oh well.
The dubbed version turned out to be very nice, but I'd loved it even more if they kept the Regi music, I'm addicted to it :D
Yeah, Altaria's Japanese voice is pretty cute. I used to think they also kept Swablu's voice until the May-Swablu episode. I like 'em both though I have to say.

Pelipper's always had a dub voice. Or do you mean in the grand scheme of things? Dunno. Such a high pitched sound.

Sushi
9th July 2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, Altaria's Japanese voice is pretty cute. I used to think they also kept Swablu's voice until the May-Swablu episode. I like 'em both though I have to say.

Pelipper's always had a dub voice. Or do you mean in the grand scheme of things? Dunno. Such a high pitched sound.

Yep, I meant all Pelippers in general. I don't care much for the original voice since it isn't all that great either, but it's extremely weird that they keep voices of Pokémon that have a totally different name in the original, yet they change voices of Pokémon with the same name.
Oh well, I think we already had that discussion when Typhlosion opened its mouth in 'Poetry Commotion', so I'd better keep quiet for now and just be glad 'cause of Altaria's voice :D

V Faction
9th July 2005, 11:18 PM
Yep, I meant all Pelippers in general. I don't care much for the original voice since it isn't all that great either, but it's extremely weird that they keep voices of Pokémon that have a totally different name in the original, yet they change voices of Pokémon with the same name.
Oh well, I think we already had that discussion when Typhlosion opened its mouth in 'Poetry Commotion', so I'd better keep quiet for now and just be glad 'cause of Altaria's voice :D
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/189/16/zan.png

Wing
9th July 2005, 11:55 PM
...Guh. I wanted to love this one. I really really did.

Winona has been my favorite Gym Leader for a good while now, and I've been waiting a long while for this episode, and it DID deliver in pretty much every aspect: The animation was perfect, the music was spectacular, and the voicing was pretty much dead on. Even the TR bits seemed to flow well with the rest of the episode.

But I just CANNOT wrap my head around the KO on Altaria. The double KO with Pelipper and Pikachu made enough sense (Although, Pikachu being K.O.ed by a Hydro Pump was a bit weird, it was sustained for quite a bit, so I can let it go) and I can understand the Swellow v. Swellow battle. (Let's face it, Ash's Swellow has a BOATLOAD of defensive power. I point back to the episode where Ash caught it, and the last episode for proof) But really...I know Game physics are loose at best in the anime, but a 4x Resistance should count for something. I guess I can buy that the Leaf Blade only knocked Altaria into the ground, and the impact is what did the damage...but still, it just irks me. :/

Still, in the scheme of things, I suppose that's just a minor nitpick, and I got to see the lovely Winona more or less beat the crap out of Ash. (I know Ash won, but c'mon, Winona did a LOT of effing damage to him. >_>) So I'm happy. ^_^

10/10. Now all I need to do is circulate a petition to get Winona a special episode. >.>

Robert
10th July 2005, 12:42 AM
I tried to like it, but I found some of the KOs to be a bit difficult to grasp... TR was, yet again, nothing more than a waste of time... It wasn't a bad battle, but I was expecting more from a gym battle. There were some decent quotes here and there to help things along.

Kamex
10th July 2005, 2:24 AM
Great animation this episode.

Team Rocket was funny, yet did pretty much nothing. :/ When they were disco-ing, that was funny. Don't know how many of you noticed this, but in the background, those few random TR members were dancing, too. That cracked me up. ^^

The gym battle was nicely animated, and it was pretty interesting. That alternately colored Swellow made things interesting, and it was obvious a Swellow vs. Swellow match was coming.

I can't say this episode caught my interest that much more than other episodes, however. I rate it 7/10.

Well, that was the last gym battle of the season. Let's see what's coming between now and Tate & Liza (in both seasons).

Ralts Master
10th July 2005, 5:04 AM
But I just CANNOT wrap my head around the KO on Altaria.
I second this. An Ice Beam doing it, I can see, but Altaria has a 4x (4x!) resistance to Grass...

Geodude
10th July 2005, 7:00 AM
Yes, but it was hit with three Grass attacks, plus a high-speed impact into the ground. It really isn't that hard to believe.

Professor Ivy
10th July 2005, 7:26 AM
I don't know what to think of this epodise. I like winona, but they something about the battle I did not like?

MayAsh1987
10th July 2005, 4:21 PM
Whoa! This gym battle kicked áss!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't really complain much of this episode since it has everything I liked. One of my friends thought it was the hottest battle ever. There were parts that did crack me up that someone mentioned earlier.

Team Rocket and the disco was funny. That was crazy and this quote from earlier someone mentioned.

Some quotes.

*TR blasts off*
May: Was that a shooting star?
Brock: ...whuh?

Winona: Ash, on days that are so beautiful and clear like today, my flying Pokemon and I are able to manifest much greater power than we're able to in less perfect conditions. Those of us whose dreams reach towards the sky are loved by the sky in return.

The sky part what Ash said was funny. Also the way MAy and Max were going bananas where they thought Ash and Swellow was going to mess up or somethin'.

All battles were off the hook! It was intense, which what I like. Grovyle vs. Altaria was unexpected, Pikachu vs. Pelipper, the Steel Wing was genius! Swellow vs Swellow rocked on! One of the best battles in a while.

Winona is one the best female gym leaders in a long time. I loved her style. Her genius in Flying Pokemon made great use in the battle. I glad she gave Ash a challenge, because the made him to battle harder.

Then at the end, I liked how Ash said quote, "Oh yeah!" It sounded pretty cool to me, don't ask why.

This episode gets my 3rd 10/10.

DragoKnight
10th July 2005, 4:26 PM
That was an awesome episode and I loved every minute of it. Has anyone else noticed the similarity between this Gym and the last flying gym Ash went to in the Johto region? (I forget the name) Both times Ash used a grass type in a flying gym as if to mock the so-called "type advantage" however, this time it actually worked.

~RaikouRider243~
10th July 2005, 5:09 PM
This battle puzzled me a lot. For instance, why would you use Grovyle against a flying Gym in the first place...unless it's gained a lot of levels. The only way I can see this happening is if all three Grass attacks scored Criticals. See, the last time I tried battling Winona with a grass-type, it got Aerial Ace'd for some 9999 damage.

The Swellow vs. Swellow matchup was interesting too. It's always one of those fights where the first one to get hit loses, basically. Especially taking into consideration how high Swellow's Evasion is and how low its Defense is. I think Winona's Swellow went into Overdrive on those Hyper Beams, then just ran out of gas as Ash's went into Overdrive.

I liked this ep and the last. Very well done.

Waveblaster
10th July 2005, 5:13 PM
This episode was cool. From Grovlye PWNing Altaria to Swellow finishing the battle with Wing Attack this was probably the best gym battle so far.

Gravy
10th July 2005, 5:45 PM
Concerning the fact that Leaf Blade was able to KO Altaria. I don't think it should be an issue at all. Even if you take the type of the move into consideration, its still an obviously brutal physical-based attack. I'd imagine being slammed by that thing in the back of the neck, full force, and having it plough you into the ground from several feet above ground would be enough to KO anything. In the long run, it does make sense and shouldn't be a problem. Having that Leaf Blade NOT have the creature injured to the highest degree would just seem stupid. Realistically, that thing is going to hurt, and its going to hurt bad.
I think you people are just letting the game mechanics cloud your judgement a little too much.

This episode really made me appreciate Swellow's dub voice. It was a lot easier to warm up to this version than it was to the likes of Oosubame and its deeper-than-a-dinosaur's-grave voice. Though having said that, I do like both, and they're unique in their own awesome little ways. I'm also glad to see (or hear?) that Winona's Swellow had a slightly different voice to Ash's. It wasn't too noticable, but the difference is there.
And I comend them on keeping the original music that counts, such as the piece played duirng the last half of the match, and the Elite 4 theme.

And of course, the animation and battle was choreographed incredibly well. Ota never seem to dissapoint do they? Hell, they even made Team Rocket's rather pointless addition to the episode pretty funny. It takes some talent to make those guys amusing in a gym episode, thats for sure.
Its a shame the Gym battles in the future don't get any better than this.

Ash: "OK Swellow, use quick attack and after that use dive!"

And so, Swellow realised its dream of becoming a water pokémon. The end.

Ookami-sama
10th July 2005, 5:58 PM
...Several feet? That's abit of an understatement. Alteria was knocked down from a couple dozen meters. Also, did you notice a healthy difference in the wingspan between Winona's Swellow and Ash's? I'd say theye's more to that bird than a lick of paint and some cool moves.

Ahh, but I was so happy when Winona offered a prair to the sky... Just by looking at her sprite I knew that she would be a religious type...

Medea
11th July 2005, 2:42 AM
I've said it before and I will say it again, I really don't care much for the gym battles as much as everyone else. This one was alright...However, when I saw the commercial on KidsWB throughout this week, I was kind of upset because they showed a picture of the badge being held by Ash...Kind of giving away that he was going to win...

Waveblaster
11th July 2005, 3:33 AM
They did kinda give it away but you knew he'd get it eventually.

frednmethod
11th July 2005, 5:26 PM
The anime doesn't really much about game mechanics. So it't not all that weird that Grovyle was able to KO Altaria with leaf blade, or that Ash's Swellow has crazy endurance that always makes it able to survive hyper beams as if it were nothing.

Wind Waker
12th July 2005, 10:36 AM
I agree, please the only reason they made grovyle defeat altaria was because the writers want to make it look cool, but you know what, i am sick of treecko/grovyle's personality, i mean its so up itself, like after it evolves, corpish was all crazy and it just lied back and was a like "what a breat go me"and i can't stand it, i like treecko and grovyle in the games, but it is a real idiot in the anime

Ethereal
12th July 2005, 11:05 AM
*enters this thread late as hell*

I liked this ep a lot. The best Gym battle in a LONG WHILE. *points and laughs at Falkner*....It was action packed and VERY entertaining....Except I'm on the "WTF was up with that Grovyle vs. Altaria?" bandwagon. I found that to be..."odd". But, what REALLY gnawed at my brain was that ONE Wing Attack taking down Winona's Swellow, after it hit with Hyper Beam, Aerial Ace, Peck, and Quick Attack....Damn those cheap devices to end battles quickly. =\

And TR had a real quick part in the ep. That's pretty rare for a big battle.

And, for some reason, I found the part at the VERY end of the ep when Ash said the "Oh, yeah! I got a Featherbadge!" thing to be cool. Not Ash saying that, but when Swellow popped up from the corner and said, "Swellow" all happily and whatnot. IMO, it had a look of accomplishment on its face, and in the sound of its voice...Meh, that's just my little observation. I thought it was cool, anyway. *shrug*

9.9/10...That one Wing Attack crap chipped off .1....-_-;

Kanadian Kyuubi
12th July 2005, 3:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but in Winona's "prayer" she actually said God. Is it me, or is God not taboo anymore in Pokemon?

wobbanut
12th July 2005, 5:22 PM
This was a fairly good episode. Ash did some good moves, and it was great that Grovyle overcame type disadvantage against altaria. At least now I know why they ran "True Blue Swablu" last week, to give us a (brief) refresher course on altaria.

The thing I liked best about the episode, though, was Jessie and James's disco dancing sequence. ROFLMAO about that one. :D And I got to see Chimecho again! Yay! :D

Overall, 8/10.

Kanadian Kyuubi
13th July 2005, 2:35 AM
You are going to see Chimecho again alot, the little guy's part of the motto now!

RandomCharizard
13th July 2005, 2:38 AM
Chim Chim!

Thats so cute!!!!!!But the Swellow epi was real good,Best one in a while

Absol5435
14th July 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm glad to see that there are people that actually enjoyed the episode, Unlike these people. (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=2000120&topic=22094133)

jolteonjak
14th July 2005, 11:04 PM
I have this on my parents' TIVO. I love watching it. It was a truly great battle. To me, it rival's Clair's battle.

Monster
15th July 2005, 3:41 PM
It was a great battle, the best one in a long time. All I have to say is that all of Ash's Pokemon were great, but Grovyle was the most amazing, it took down a flying type. But the best battle scene was when Swellow used Wing Attack to make the sand blind Winona's Swellow. Awesome scene, I kept rewatching it.

Chris
15th July 2005, 5:14 PM
*sigh* People fail to realize what goes on in Gym Battles and pitch a fit over things. Thank you for explaining the Juptile vs Tyltalis match, Gravy.

As for Ohsubame vs Ohsubame, I don't see how any of you couldn't get this one. Hyper Beam is a powerful move, yes? And in the game it requires time to recharge (aka rest up). You'd figure that a small bird that firing a BIG blast of energy would be worn out somewhat by using the attack repeatedly, no? Especially considering it's taking up quite a bit of energy to keep firing them. Not to mention, Satoshi's kicked up a cloud of dirt to conceal itself and catch Nagi's Ohsubame off guard, smashing it while it was at a disadvantage.

And to those complaining about KidsWB giving away the ending, please. The episode's been out in Japan for almost a year and you couldn't have guessed that Satoshi was going to win either way? Especially with all the Houen League titles over at site? :| It was going to obviously happen.

Pokemon Fan
15th July 2005, 7:59 PM
About the Altaria and Grovyle battle, since the various posts addressing it (very well I might add) seem to be being ignored by subsequent posters, I'm going to say this as succinctly as I know how.

It's the same as how Charizard could ko practically anything with a successful Seismic Toss. You get something to crash into the ground at high speed from a great height and not much will stand up to it regardless of the element type of the attack that was used. Heck a String Shot could do it if the user could swing a pokemon stuck on it down hard enough. ^_^

I liked this ep a lot. The best Gym battle in a LONG WHILE. *points and laughs at Falkner*....It was action packed and VERY entertaining....Except I'm on the "WTF was up with that Grovyle vs. Altaria?" bandwagon. I found that to be..."odd". But, what REALLY gnawed at my brain was that ONE Wing Attack taking down Winona's Swellow, after it hit with Hyper Beam, Aerial Ace, Peck, and Quick Attack....Damn those cheap devices to end battles quickly. =\
Allow me to help quell your confusion. This is how I see it:

1. Winona's Swellow previously got a HUGE slash across the chest from Grovyle. And though it didn't work too well it also got hit earlier by a Wing Attack.
2. It had likely been drained considerably from using so many attacks. Especially the Hyper Beams (only one of which hit). Remember that episode with the Mareep where Ash had Pikachu keep avoiding attacks until the Mareep simply collapsed on its own?
3. Ash's Swellow in particular is known for its extreme endurance.
4. Ever wonder why head-on collissions are so disasterous with cars? You have two objects going toward each other instead of one going toward another, hence the energy in the impact is much greater. Ash's Swellow went up while Winona's went down. However, Ash's knew to brace for the attack whereas Winona's was caught off guard and hit right in the chest. Being able to brace for an impact alone can greatly alter how much damage one takes in a fight.

And, for some reason, I found the part at the VERY end of the ep when Ash said the "Oh, yeah! I got a Featherbadge!" thing to be cool. Not Ash saying that, but when Swellow popped up from the corner and said, "Swellow" all happily and whatnot. IMO, it had a look of accomplishment on its face, and in the sound of its voice...Meh, that's just my little observation. I thought it was cool, anyway. *shrug*
And it WINKED! ^_^

Akane
16th July 2005, 11:49 PM
Omg...this epsiode was soo great!! I remember watching the Japanese version(which is totally awesome). I was waiting for this one. Great Animation and a awesome battle. Ash did a awesome job for real. I loved it when he made Swellow did Wing Attack on the ground. So great. Great Stragey. =O And Winona was great. Plus as always Team Rocket was funny. Got shocked...I was laughing. And Grovyle...WOW...totally awesome. I will give this 10/10. I wish I can give it a 20/10. XD!

Caseydia
20th July 2005, 6:00 PM
I really enjoyed this gymbattle. Ash's Swellow finally came through alot. Boy, Ash's friends are so unsupportive. Brock should know how Ash battles after being with him all this time and when the gym battle came to be he acted like he didn't know what he was doing.

Haine
21st July 2005, 7:45 PM
Anyone else think that Ash looked a lot madder than he sounded....
In the raw Satoshi's anger matches better with the scenes than Ash did in the dub IMO

V Faction
21st July 2005, 7:46 PM
Anyone else think that Ash looked a lot madder than he sounded....
In the raw Satoshi's anger matches better with the scenes than Ash did in the dub IMO
Nah, I don't. But then, I wouldn't be looking for detail like that.

WindyNight
23rd July 2005, 7:19 PM
YTV aired that episode today at noon...
It was a pretty cool gym battle, IMO...
I actually wanted Winona to win since I think she was a great flying type trainer, but the writer made Ash won..How many times did Ash actually lose to a gym battle so far? *counts* Only one time in the Dewford Gym...Geezz, the writer should make him lose a few times!!! Oh well...I am pretty impressed by Winona Swellow's Aerial Ace attack..It was cool! ^^
Overall, I give a rating 7.5/10 for the episode! :D

Jonouchi
23rd July 2005, 9:03 PM
How many times did Ash actually lose to a gym battle so far? *counts* Only one time in the Dewford Gym...Geezz, the writer should make him lose a few times!!!

well, there's Brock, Lt. Surge, Sabrina, Whitney, Norman, Brawly and that's it..I think

JoHn_C
24th July 2005, 8:33 AM
Wow I really liked how Ash figured it out. and the Aerial Ace was an awesome move.

ShoOCha0tic
25th July 2005, 7:58 PM
5/10 nice animation, nice music, ok battle. but its so ovious(sp?) that ash will win...... >.> i wanna try using grovyal(sp?) against altaria in emerald! =)

♥Princess Ketchum♥
7th August 2005, 12:03 PM
this was a totally awsome gym battle and i am happy ash won

10/10

Cyndaquil
13th August 2005, 7:54 PM
man Winonas Swellow looked bad losig to a wing attack whilst Ashs took a few H beams, good ep though

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
15th August 2005, 4:06 PM
good battle

no stars for Swellow..................

9/10

Transducer
18th August 2005, 7:20 AM
Man... Grovyle and Swellow totally owned in this battle! :D This is one of the best gym battle episodes ever! ^_^

I'll definetely give it a 10/10. It is superb! *thumbs up*

grand master cyndaquil
4th October 2005, 8:20 PM
I like shiny pokemon .
I have a shiny crobat , raticate , vieleplume
Winonna is a good pokemon Trainer

Flying Tropius
20th October 2005, 3:48 AM
winnona is the best looking female gym leader in hoenn!

Aptenodytes
30th October 2005, 4:56 AM
loved the gym battle! suprised me how peliper and altaria fainted so easily though. i liked how the two swellows battled at the end. i was suprised that skarmory wasnt used intead or peliper though.

~Flareon~
24th December 2005, 1:03 PM
I have seen this Fortree Gym Battle epsiode. It was cool that Ash won against the Fortree Gym Leader, Winona and get the Feather Badge from her. I like this episode. I know that on the first match Ash's Grovyle defeated Winona's Altaria. Beacuse Grovyle's weakness to Fire, Ice & Flying. The second battle is quite easy for Pikachu to take down Pelipper because its weakness to Electric. But actually it ends in a tie. For Ash's final match, probably it is not going to be easy, Ash's Swellow VS Winona's Shiny Swellow. Swellow finally defeats Winona's Shiny Swellow. So thats why Ash won.

lightspeed
6th March 2006, 7:46 PM
10/10, Ash really did very well in this battle and I was impressed of his strategy, it also shows that pokemon types do not matter, what's more important is the trainer's confidence and strategy. Grovyle looked so cool in this episode although it fainted when hit by aerial ace. Winona was really good but Ash was better.

HoennMaster
12th March 2006, 9:20 AM
Well Grass is weak against Flying and that was also seen in the Violet Gym Battle. Pretty good episode and I lvoe that Shiny Swellow

pikachu146
12th March 2006, 9:27 AM
Well,in this episode,Grovyle beats a Altria (sorry I can't spell its name) ,even it has the disadvantage,it still won.That Pelipeer used steel wing on the ground to avoid Pikachu's thunderbolt.Ash's Swellow was the coolest in this episode,it beat a Shiny Swellow.
This a one of the best gym battles I've seen.

Ashy Boy
19th June 2006, 10:33 PM
Best gym battle ever.

ZTcrazy
23rd June 2006, 11:46 PM
This gym battle was really cool to watch, as is all gym battles in the Advanced series. However, Grovyle beating Altaria was a bit...unbelievable. Although I absolutely loved the way Grovyle used its double leaf blade.

The Pelipper strategy was a really clever thing and it was good how Ash and Pikachu managed to wait and defeat it.

Swellow vs. Swellow was a really cool match, it proved how much Ash's Swellow is so tough. This battle made me think how restricted the games are, battlewise.

Judai Yuki
17th July 2006, 11:46 PM
Err "Swellow use Dive!" yeah.....also Ash makes a crazy face when he gets his badge i'll try to post it.

-Judai

genjimirrror
27th July 2006, 3:56 PM
i saw the episode recently (saw it monday on Dutch television) and is it true that judgement brawl is the last episode of advanced challenge.

grovile
7th August 2006, 9:55 PM
Great Music on this episode.

bhrettzerda053
28th March 2008, 7:42 AM
Ash has a Swellow and Winona has a Swellow too. It's so shiny others can tell it from Ash's. (Bad road for you, Winona. It seems that your Pelipper resisted Pikachu's electric attacks by going to the ground. If it didn't go to the ground, well, it must have dealt ultra damage from Pikachu.) What a battle I can't forget asking and telling to friends. I didn't watch that episode yet, but once when it's aired, I will know anything from it.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:22 AM
I loved that shiny Swellow. I also loved how Pelliper could redirect the electricity into the ground. It was a great battle.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:48 AM
it was a very entertaining gym battle if you ask me, it had some moments in it that i didn't expect, 9/10.

Littlemyuu
5th March 2009, 7:03 PM
Nice Episdode, Winona is my fave gym leader from that region..
and the Shiny Swellow kicked it <3

Mr. Smile
20th June 2009, 6:41 PM
Not a bad episode. I expected Winona to use Skarmory as her last pokemon, but I was shocked to see her use a shiny Swellow. Yet, her Swellow put up a good fight... 8/10

Ash-kid
2nd December 2009, 11:29 AM
The best gym battle in Hoenn, i think
Winona's Swellow was so strong, but i loved Ash's tactic how it beat it
And it was great to see Altaria

Lorde
3rd December 2009, 4:39 AM
I was expecting so much more out of this sixth Gym battle epiosde. The only surprise during this battle was the appearance of Winona's Shiny Swellow to be honest. Overall I was very unimpressed with her team and I think she's one of the weakest Hoenn Gym Leaders, in the anime anyway. I wish she'd gotten to play a larger role or at least battle more fiercely. 4/10.

Willow's Tara
10th May 2010, 7:30 AM
I loved seeing the Shiny Swellow, it was nice seeing Swellow VS Swellow, Winona wasn't too bad really. I am surprised she didn't use Skarmory, I guess not all Gym leaders use the Pokemon we see with them the first time or seem like the signature Pokemon.

saar
9th July 2010, 2:55 PM
I think Winnona could've won if she know Swellow had a problem in the air VS the Ariel Ace.
Her Shiny Swellow was very beautiful.

KGB13
2nd August 2010, 12:23 AM
This was a very good Gym battle.

Ash is the only trainer I know crazy enough to not only use Grovyle, but start off with it against a Flying type Gym Leader. But it did a great job against Altaria and even tangled with Swellow for a bit, so I was impressed.

Pikachu vs Pelipper was good too, it was smart of Winona to use that ground strategy.

Swellow vs Shiny Swellow was simply epic, nothing more to say about that.

Overall, this was a very good episode and one of my favorites from this saga.

G50
5th March 2011, 7:31 AM
This episode was cool. It was great to see a shiny Swellow for the 1st time, Man that Shiny Swellow is strong! The Pikachu vs Pelipper battle was very cool, even though Pikachu lost to Pelipper which was very odd. It was very creative for Pelipper to use its fin to send the electricity into the ground. It was great to see an Altaria for the 1st time. Grovyle vs Altaria was a really cool battle. I like how Swellow hung in there after all of those hits, to beat Shiny Swellow. I'm glad Ash won this gym battle.

85/100

Vernikova
20th July 2012, 4:52 AM
What a bad gym battle. Altaria getting beat after it was pummeling Grovyle the entire match? The writers love Grovyle don't they? All it would need is a tragic back story and it would be the Infernape of Hoenn. The Pikachu v. Pelipper match was less grating compared to the rest of the matches. Ash's Swellow beating Winona's Swellow? Wow. bad writers writing bad matches. His Swellow gets outclassed throughout the entire match and he wins it with one Wing Attack. Bad writing all around.

7threst
5th October 2012, 9:01 AM
The only thing I was quite surprised at with this episode, was how easily Winona's Swellow was beaten by Ash's Swellow. But for the rest of it, I seemingly enjoyed this gym battle a lot and I thought they did it great with giving each part of the battle enough time and having Ash's thinking outside the box multiple times in order to win.

Lorde
4th November 2014, 12:35 AM
Looking back, I found Winona's Pelipper's battle with Pikachu to be so unrealistic. The whole rerouting Pikachu's Thunderbolt to the ground with Steel Wing strategy was ridiculous in my view; it still should've taken more damage in my opinion. Also, seeing Pikachu get knocked out by Pelipper's Hydro Pump made me cackle with rage.

Dark/Legendary Master
4th November 2014, 3:31 AM
Looking back, I found Winona's Pelipper's battle with Pikachu to be so unrealistic. The whole rerouting Pikachu's Thunderbolt to the ground with Steel Wing strategy was ridiculous in my view; it still should've taken more damage in my opinion. Also, seeing Pikachu get knocked out by Pelipper's Hydro Pump made me cackle with rage.
Au Contraire, I found it to be one of the most innovative things the anime has ever done in regards to negating type disadvantages. Plus it makes sense, Iron conducts electricity and Ground negates it so by using the Steel Wing to redirect it into the Ground, the Thunderbolt is negated. Pikachu only got KOd by Hydro Pump because he took massive amounts of damage from it before he could even actually get an attack in.

Painkiller2001
7th November 2014, 7:48 AM
Wasn't expecting to see Winonna send out a shiny Swellow.
Awesome that we got an epic Swellow versus Swellow battle. :)

Lorde
28th November 2014, 11:57 PM
Au Contraire, I found it to be one of the most innovative things the anime has ever done in regards to negating type disadvantages. Plus it makes sense, Iron conducts electricity and Ground negates it so by using the Steel Wing to redirect it into the Ground, the Thunderbolt is negated. Pikachu only got KOd by Hydro Pump because he took massive amounts of damage from it before he could even actually get an attack in.

I just found Winona's strategy with Pelipper to be too convenient and I don't even think that the writers put much thought into the physics involved. Also, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I simply thought that Pikachu should've won that battle regardless based on type advantage alone. This was one of the few Gyms where I wanted him to shine. :x