PDA

View Full Version : Lights, Camerupt, Action! (362)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:12 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/362.jpgLights, Camerupt, Action!

Ash & Co. meet up with a trainer who travels around the country showing people movies, however he has to get his Camerupt there. Team Rocket however want to steal the movies for profit. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/362.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 10:35 PM
I just saw the preview pics on the website for this ep (trying to cut down on spoliers!!) and how come the Camerupt AND Ash's Torkoal were walking across a river?!? Why does Ash's Torkoal like to swim?

ChaosMage
25th October 2004, 3:23 PM
Not a very good introduction for Armaldo, but those movies look hilarious.

Crystal Latios
25th October 2004, 6:31 PM
I just saw the preview pics on the website for this ep (trying to cut down on spoliers!!) and how come the Camerupt AND Ash's Torkoal were walking across a river?!? Why does Ash's Torkoal like to swim?

I think, not all fire pokemon hate water. I belive, some like it. Only rock type pokemon hate it.

Episode was pretty nice :) Ha! They used a music from "Pokemon4Ever" once!
Ash, May, Max and Brock said, what movies they saw long time ago.
Ash saw a movie about scary Clefairy.
Brock about Machoke and Snorlax
May and Max about huge Meowth
May a romantic movie about Natu and Xatu (something like "Titanic" LOL).

That first one was the funniest. Clefairy was so weird^^

Chris
25th October 2004, 6:46 PM
I'm curious to know as to why the site says there's clips of Camp Pikachu and Gotta Dance! when there wasn't a trace of either one in this episode? o_O

ChaosMage
26th October 2004, 8:07 PM
They were made by the dude, but not shown.

meggirl63
4th November 2004, 2:13 PM
That episode featured younger versions of Ash and Gary! :D

Geodude
4th December 2004, 4:30 AM
Anybody wanna take bets on the possibility of this ep getting "Lights, Camerupt, Action!" as a dub title? :p

Heracross
4th December 2004, 5:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised.XD It wouldn't be the first time they gave two dub episodes surprisingly similar titles.

Geodude
13th December 2004, 6:50 AM
I'm curious to know as to why the site says there's clips of Camp Pikachu and Gotta Dance! when there wasn't a trace of either one in this episode? o_O

Serebii insists that the little clip in Meowth's fantasy of him dancing on TV while Giovanni watches is from Gotta Dance, when it clearly isn't. -_-

Chris
13th December 2004, 8:12 AM
Yeah, really. None of the clips looked anything like the mini-movies. x_X

That Scary Clefairy
14th December 2004, 5:07 AM
I'm really desperate to see this episode with "THAT SCARY CLEFAIRY" lol. Hence my user name. for those who not sure about this clefairy, go to the manga section and you'll find out who this guy really is. HeHe.

frednmethod
17th March 2005, 4:11 PM
Does anyone else think that the dub title 'Candid Camerupt' would have suited this episode better? Since it's a pun on 'Candid Camera' and this episode has stuff to do with both Camerupt AND cameras, unlike the episode with the Winstrates.

Gravy
17th March 2005, 9:33 PM
Yeah, really. None of the clips looked anything like the mini-movies. x_X
The clip of Meowth dancing on Giovanni's TV had a background from 'Gotta Dance' as I recall. The construction site shot with a cement mixxer in the background. so its understandable that it could be mistaken for part of the mini-movie. I myself had to double-take that very scene.

Does anyone else think that the dub title 'Candid Camerupt' would have suited this episode better?
I see what you mean, but a title like 'Lights, Camerupt, Action!' would work a lot better, considering its based off a term thats actually related to the film industry *shrugs*

Anyways. This episode bored me to tears and I think the only part I enjoyed was the very short clip of Pippii and Red's cartoon show. Because a Clefairy with a face like that should be enough to make anyone smirk.

vulpix
3rd April 2005, 12:12 AM
i really want to see this episide so bad cause i want so see a younger version or Ash and Gary.

DarkWobbuffet
4th April 2005, 5:39 AM
I'd love it if they got Gilbert Gottfried to do the voice of that Clefairy. XD

Anyway, the plot of the episode dosen't look like much, but the mini-movies look very amusing. Can't wait to see this episode in the US. ^^

jolteonjak
10th April 2005, 5:16 AM

omg...that's hilarious

MasterJedi
9th July 2005, 10:42 PM

Adam West would make the Clefairy funny! ^_^

Anyway from what I remember this is just the standard boring filler right? Well I'll still watch it next week but it won't be anywhere as good as this last one.

MayAsh1987
15th July 2005, 7:23 PM
This episode looks pretty funny. I saw the pics and can't wait for tomorrow debut. I want to see how the shorts are, especially the Clefairy one. I wonder likes someone mentioned do it's voice? Have review on this eppie 2morrow.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
16th July 2005, 4:35 PM
Wow, this was a piece of trash. What a way to ruin my birthday day :/.

The animation was pure garbage this episode. Look at Chimecho. it was grossly distorted. The little movies were idiotic, particularly the first one. The only funny part in the entire episode was may's, "The merry the more...er," which was quickly killed when the Trainer-of-the-Day used it later on, before the TC(which was right for once =O). And Torkoal appeared, but it did nothing, so I disregarded that. The characters, movies or in the town, were lousy too. And Corphish jumped way too high when it cut the cord. No Pokémon could do that. Brock looked ridiculous in that outfit, further ruining his character.

Overall rating:
4.9 out of 10....
AG hasn't disappointed me so much since Disguise Da Limit. This episode was a complete waste of time on the writer's part, and should've been used to make the League longer.

~*CB*~

CyberCubed
16th July 2005, 4:37 PM
Ah...so this episode is the start of "Pokemon Advance Downhill."

...just kidding. :p

Meh, they should have made the ENTIRE episode out of mini-movies, not just the last half.

I liked seeing Chibi Gary, Brock's paradise song...and uh...that scary Clefairy.

May's expedition was a welcome return, but that didn't help the episode much.

The Big Al
16th July 2005, 4:38 PM
I hated what they did to the Scary Clefairy. From what I've seen of the comic, he's male. Yet Veronica Taylor used her "Ash-ly" voice for him. It killed the whole scene. I still think Gilbert Goftreid would have been perfect for him.

A poor episode and really poor dub.

Monster
16th July 2005, 4:44 PM
This was a really horrible episode, I guess this is where AG starts going down hill. It had crappy animation and the dubbing was horrible too. The only part I thought was funny was when Meowth said ''A Camerupt is like a Sports Car with two humps!!''. The rest of the episode was just stupid and pointless not to mention how they ruined Scary Clefairy with making sound like a female. Why does the dub always HAVe to ruin episodes?

3/10

Evil-Pika
16th July 2005, 4:50 PM
<.<;; well actually to tell you the truth I liked this episode lol (is not afraid to speak her mind) it was really funny and I was lmaoing through almost the whole thing. I give it an 8/10 cause it was funny but i've still seen better..

Lil Brother
16th July 2005, 4:56 PM
Ugh, the Pichu brothers barely had a role.

My expectations were way higher than this. And the plot... made no sense what-so-ever.

4/10.

MayAsh1987
16th July 2005, 4:56 PM
This episode wasn't good as I thought. It was okay. The only thing that got me liking was the mini movies.

The Clefairy one, I thought it was a guy, but sounded more like a girl to me. But Mama Ursaring sounded like a guy, for some reason to me if I sleepy or not sounded like Bowser from the video games. But the Clefairy one was still funny. The voices didn't bother me much since sometimes don't seem to care.

The western one made me laugh too. It was like a joke using Remoraid as guns.

The Meowth gozillia one was okay.

May's movie was cute how she told it. About the Xatu and Natu story. Obviously as everyone knows it was off from Titanic, but just thinking what she said, you could make good story out of it.

Then the Plusle and Minun. It was very kiddy but cute. They sort of made Pikachu more like a hero then Plusle n Minun. Very kiddy but cute.

This eppie gets 5.4 out of 10. Not my faves, but again the mini movies kept me likeing semi.

GaryAshRichie
16th July 2005, 5:07 PM
I thought this episode was hilarious as well. For a filler, they really threw together a lot of different ideas/gags out there.
-The scary Clefairy part was hilarious, mostly because that Clefairy was sooo against what I would have expected from the manga. Really blew my mind. "What a nasty aftertaste!" LOL!
-Brock's Paradise song. Never thought I'd see that again, even if it was different.
-The homage to Gotta Dance! was cute.
-The return of Gary, in yet another flashback that aludes to him and Ash being friends before their training days.
-The Pichu brothers in their little cameos.
-May's reporting thang.

Team Rocket was great in this episode as well. The motto didn't disapoint, Chimecho played it's part, and Jessie had me cracking up when she was sitting on the back of the cart.

Not the best episode EVA, but I liked it.

Aerial Ace
16th July 2005, 5:15 PM
....This was an uneventful episode. I once again found nothing to do, thus watching this. It was quite boring, I found it hard to focus on it. I drifted off several times. There was nothing funny, eye-catching, or anything entertaining about it. All the mini-movies were extrememly idiotic, May's Expedition once again returned to annoy the hell out of me. Ugh. Maybe it's just another product of bad dubbing.

1.5 out of 10. >_>

Kanadian Kyuubi
16th July 2005, 5:37 PM
8/10

Okay, I know that this wasn't Team Ota at work on the animation, Chimecho's eyes didn't look right, and the animation was downright terrible. We have also had the strangest plot in Pokemon History (but, I am still confused at why they have to Seal the Giant Claydol).

But, the movies were pretty good, but of course no review for this episode is complete without mentioning:
That Scary Clefairy!

But the good thing is, we had another "Brock's Paradise" moment, with Lombre doing the Samba like Lombres do!

(looking for that picture of Lombre and Brock)

Dogasu
16th July 2005, 5:39 PM
I wish people would stop calling him that. There's nothing "scary" about him at all.

Rudoku
16th July 2005, 5:46 PM
I wish people would stop calling him that. There's nothing "scary" about him at all.
It's that mouth. That thing creeped me out the first time I saw it (on a Japanese manga). I thought it would have a man's voice, though.

Howling Cat
16th July 2005, 5:49 PM

yah isn't his name Pippi anyway. I didn't like this episode at all it was to a draggy and I hated when team rocket stole the movie again. They always manage to leave a trail don't they (T_T) and what was with the quote "merrier the more" it's more the merrier.

Blackjack Gabbiani
16th July 2005, 6:36 PM
My review, done while watching it:

Mmm, Mossdeep. And of course he's never heard of it, he never checks the damn map. You'd think for a kid who's so gung-ho about these things he'd have these things memorized.

Wouldn't it make more sense for this guy to recall his Camerupt? If I recall correctly, anything they're holding gets recalled too.

Elijah? That made me laugh more than it should.

Plusle and Minun are film stars now? *gag*

"Imagine what the boss would call us if we brought him these!" "Blockheads?" "Not this time!"

I'm rather surprised they kept the movie that the Boss watches, given that it could be construed as an ad.

A sports car with two humps? Is it wrong that my first reply to that was "I don't think that's a problem for him"?

So I think it's all clear that Meowth's fantasy version of the Boss has taken over his mind. Coping skills from what he saw in MR, I'm telling you.

May is an IDIOT. "Yep, it's definately rocks."

Mariah. The name I think should have been given to Winona. *le sigh*

So Ash doesn't notice that the guy in the movie looks EXACTLY LIKE HIM?

I liked the Ursaring's voice *g*. "I'll toast your buuuuuuns!"

Pichu Brothers are famous too then?

Was the Meowth Monster voiced by Addie Blaustein? Sounded like she was pitching her voice down *really* low.

"It's a spaceship, but it sinks?" "YES."

So Elijah insists that the whole experience and who you go with is part of it, but May's last example she went to on her own.

Trainer's Choice--was Kekleon more...brightly colored than usual, or was it just me? Or was it just because the other two were browinsh?

The story moves along too quickly. Seriously, they forgot the basic key--show, don't tell!

So J&J do a perfect Bond entrance and there's no joke about it?

Has no one caught on to the fact that Brock only KNOWS ONE SONG? At least he's trying to mix it up a little now, but it's still the same damn song.

When James says "How did it become our fault?" he sounds a lot like Mummymon. Which is funnier than it should be.

It seems Brock is forgetting the lyrics. Can't he, I donno, sing something like a lullabye? I'm sure he knows tons of those! Or a nursery rhyme? Or about how he's a little teapot? Short and stout? Although he may see a pretty girl while in the middle of it and the 'here is my spout' line would come out all wrong and cause him to get slapped.

So that whole movie was a recap? And it was only five minutes long? And they waited a year for THAT?!?! If I were someone in that town, I'd riot! He travels all that way and he can't be arsed to bring a FEATURE with him?

Medea
16th July 2005, 6:45 PM
Well Geodude was right on the title :p

...Not a bad episode. I have seen clips of the movies a couple of months ago. I will say this though, that first movie that Ash was describing seemed pretty annoying if you ask me!

Aerial Ace
16th July 2005, 6:58 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense for this guy to recall his Camerupt? If I recall correctly, anything they're holding gets recalled too.

Elijah? That made me laugh more than it should.

Wow, I forgot all about the Pokeballs....o_o Yeah, now that I look back on that, that's pretty dumb. x_x

So that whole movie was a recap? And it was only five minutes long? And they waited a year for THAT?!?! If I were someone in that town, I'd riot! He travels all that way and he can't be arsed to bring a FEATURE with him?

XD I know, that was one crapload of a movie. I understand that they were little kids, but come on x_x; And once again, Pikachu saves the day. Plusle and Minun together could've probably took Armaldo on. >_>

Is anyone else sick of the whole "May's Expedition" thing? "ZOMG May's expedition continues!" She needs to stop acting like a little 5 year old and stop that. x_x

And once again Max does nothing. Max could completely disappear and nothing would be missing from the show. If you're going to add a new character, at least try to develop him. >_> And Brock has done nothing more in the entire season than cook for the kids. x_x

CyberCubed
16th July 2005, 7:06 PM
Wow, I forgot all about the Pokeballs....o_o Yeah, now that I look back on that, that's pretty dumb. x_x

Maybe he doesn't have a Pokeball? Afterall, Misty didn't have a Pokeball for Togepi.

XD I know, that was one crapload of a movie. I understand that they were little kids, but come on x_x; And once again, Pikachu saves the day. Plusle and Minun together could've probably took Armaldo on. >_>

It was a movie made for 5 year old kids, I don't think they cared. (The episode itself was lousy too, so who cares in general)

Is anyone else sick of the whole "May's Expedition" thing? "ZOMG May's expedition continues!" She needs to stop acting like a little 5 year old and stop that. x_x

As a 10 year old girl, she probably has fun with it.

I hate when Hoenn has bad fillers like this, it makes it look like the show isn't really that different from the Johto seasons. Thankfully there's only like 5 of these throughout all of AG.

S.Suikun
16th July 2005, 7:13 PM
This was a really horrible episode, I guess this is where AG starts going down hill.
I fail to see how one crappy episode hunkers down the entire saga. There's some redeeming episodes after this.

But yeah, the manga adaption mini-movie was really this episode's only redeeming value. And the return of Brock's Paradise. The narraration on the Plusle/Minun movie was horribly done, May's Expedition always irks me, and the TR scenes were lame as ever.

While I still think the Shuppet episode was much worse (worst of AG, to be exact), this was still a pretty poor effort.

4/10

P.S. Did anybody else take the brief clip of the Pichu movie the wrong way?

Aerial Ace
16th July 2005, 7:13 PM
Maybe he doesn't have a Pokeball? Afterall, Misty didn't have a Pokeball for Togepi.

....I once again forgot the concept of the Pokeball in the anime. x_x

I hate when Hoenn has bad fillers like this, it makes it look like the show isn't really that different from the Johto seasons. Thankfully there's only like 5 of these throughout all of AG.

Yeah, while I was watching this, I was thinking "....Wow, this is really Johto-esque...". I sure hope there aren't any more lousy fillers like this, for the sake of the days where I have nothing else to do...

Pika Hikari KT
16th July 2005, 7:26 PM
From a kickŕss battle to a somewhat lame filler. I hated the Clefairy's voice, too...the guy even LOOKS male and they give it a female voice(and not a very good one at that)! I agree--Gottfried would've been an excellent fit for Red's Clefairy. But cest lŕ vié...Guess he was too busy with Cyberchase.:p But I think the best part was Pikachu coming into the picture and giving the Armaldo a nice Mega Kick! That Pika must be level 100 to do that much damage to a Rock Pokémon...;) I'll give it a 6/10.

V Faction
16th July 2005, 7:39 PM
I guess they really want to stick with species specific voices. But even I was disappointed that the Clefairy didn't sound male.

I almost feel sorry for the dubbers when they have to work on episodes like these. Well hey, maybe they enjoy more than we realize. After all, it is pretty unimportant. They might just be able to a little fun with them.

Anyway, the most enjoyable scenes were Meowth's boss fantasies. Outrageous is the only way to describe them.

The Big Al
16th July 2005, 7:49 PM
For the record, space ships don't sink, they explode. But then Natu would have been space dust and ruined the "Romantic Moment". *gags* An insult to science fiction compliments of May.

GaryAshRichie
16th July 2005, 8:04 PM
For the record, space ships don't sink, they explode. But then Natu would have been space dust and ruined the "Romantic Moment". *gags* An insult to science fiction compliments of May.
Actually I found that to be probably the funniest Titanic-spoof I've seen in a long time. All it needed was that sappy Celine Dion music to make it complete. I give the writers credit...they should find ways to mini-spoof movies like this more often.
And Max did point out that spaceships can't sink, but May was just being a fangirl and chose to ignore logic. I thought it was funny. They could have went further with it.

mangod/pikachu
16th July 2005, 8:21 PM
ugh That clefairy was freakin' ugly. I liked the look on young Gary's face when Ash laughed it was hilarious. This episode wasn't anything spectacular except for Team Rocket acting cool as usual.

Geodude
16th July 2005, 8:29 PM
May: "Like I always say, the merry, the morri...er."
Max: "You never say that."
May: "Now we know why."

XD

pokeking
16th July 2005, 9:16 PM
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but how was there a teddiursa and its evolve form in the movie that ash saw BEFORE his journey.... they didn't exist then did they??? someone plz help me (")...?

Dogasu
16th July 2005, 9:18 PM
It's that mouth. That thing creeped me out the first time I saw it (on a Japanese manga). I thought it would have a man's voice, though.

It should, considering that Manga-Pippi is a male.

The way the spaceship was destroyed was a parody of the anime classic Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers in the U.S.).

Akane
16th July 2005, 11:09 PM
I thought this epsiode was really good. I loved when they show the mini-movies. They were pretty funny and cool. Got to see Ash, Gary, and Brock as kids. It was great. ^^ And Team Rocket being funny. XD Well this was a very good epsiode imo. 9/10. :)

Kthleen
17th July 2005, 2:19 AM
P.S. Did anybody else take the brief clip of the Pichu movie the wrong way?Thanks to the people in the caption thread (I think), yes.

I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but how was there a teddiursa and its evolve form in the movie that ash saw BEFORE his journey.... they didn't exist then did they??? someone plz help me (")...?Plot hole.

Encyclopika
17th July 2005, 4:30 AM
This episode was so stupid in funny way...so I liked it. I know, I don't make too much sense. XD Anyway, I have to say I really hated TR in the ep when they cut into the middle of the movie :/. It was annoying. But I guess that's what the writers were after. Anyway, I give it a 7/10 - it was worth getting up early for. ^^

jolteonjak
17th July 2005, 5:21 AM
I thought this episode was kinda lame. I guess they can't all be as good as gym battles. And that scary Clefairy thing...I'd wondered where it came from. Now I'll have nightmares about it. :(

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
17th July 2005, 9:03 AM
May: "Like I always say, the merry, the morri...er."
Max: "You never say that."
May: "Now we know why."

XD
I thought that moment was ruined, personally, with that horribly overdun "Group Laugh" X.x;;.

I'm not surprised to see plot holes in this episode. I knew it was just thrown together =/.

Shining Suicune: Cybercubed is talking about a lot of disappointing episodes after this. There are some gems, but it's mostly garbage.

~*CB*~

Frost
17th July 2005, 2:29 PM
Man, this episode was totally uneventful. If they added in more mini-movies/parodies, it wouldn't have been so bad, but the plot was nowhere to be found. It was more like the writers got together and said "Okay, we'll never build an entire episode around mini-movies... let's throw in totally random events like May almost getting crushed by randomly falling rocks to take up some time!" How far could that little village have been from a major city that somebody would have to go around with his Camerupt to show them movies, anyway? Then there was the fact that Team Rocket was trying to steal a freaking projector... even James commented on the ridiculousness of the idea. I really did like the mini-movies, though, especially the manga parody, and the first time TR started the motto and James said "We'll do the rest later!" but I can't remember anything else noteworthy from this boring episode.

Kamex
17th July 2005, 10:49 PM
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but how was there a teddiursa and its evolve form in the movie that ash saw BEFORE his journey.... they didn't exist then did they??? someone plz help me (")...?
But they did exist, right? Just because those Pokemon weren't created back then doesn't mean they just didn't exist.

Contrary to many others' opinions, I quite enjoyed this episode. Mostly because of all the laughs.

May's "the mer, the mor...er" was funny. And when Meowth was explaining how Camerupt was useful and said, "So it can carry all the Boss' big rocks!" I was lmao. Even James came in and showed heavy doubt in the plan. That was definately hilarious, it made the episode for me.

Interesting to see Ash laugh at that movie and Gary look bored as heck. ^^

Jessie and James liked that movie, and were crying, lol.
James(paraphrased) : I'd hate to see how you react to a SAD ending...

Edit: Oh, and the rating will have to be 7/10.

Kthleen
18th July 2005, 7:11 AM
After hearing Chiriin's voice (more than a week ago), I realize how much Chimecho's totally sucks. Chiriin's is so cute! But Chimecho's is... ugh. Not evil, but definitely not good. When I heard it in this episode, I couldn't help but think http://graphics.gaiaonline.com/images/template/smiles/icon_confused.gif Euhm.... No. I'm surprised that I forgot to mention it the first time around.

Medea
18th July 2005, 7:42 AM
Actually I found that to be probably the funniest Titanic-spoof I've seen in a long time. All it needed was that sappy Celine Dion music to make it complete. I give the writers credit...they should find ways to mini-spoof movies like this more often.
Oh yeah, I thought about that! And the thought just made me sick just hearing that damn song from Titanic...*medea10 dies a little inside*

Lil Brother
18th July 2005, 8:10 AM
Random comment time!

Meowth's Giovanni Fantasies Meowth had officialy gone insane. X_X I think he's enjoying making up these little ideas. But he's not really thinking clearly anymore...

"The merry the more-ier..." That made me want to pop my brain out. So corny. I know May must secretly be a dumb blonde.

May's Expedition "Hey, look, some rocks! I think they're getting bigger!" *brain pops out* At least it gives more proof that May was repeatedly dropped on her head as a baby.

Plusle and Minun and the Princess Rescue What a let-down. It lasted fifty seconds. And Ash acted liked it was the greatest thing in the world. O.o At the end, it you look closely you can see some Pokemon awaiting the "princess" like some Marill.

Brock's song... thing Brock sure is sexah in that outfit. I found it hilarious, especially with Lombre.

The Snorlax western That was the best mini-movie, especially with the Remoraid guns.

The Clefairy movie If I watched that, I would have Gary's expression (which was priceless). That was... horrible. Oh, and about the Teddiursa and Ursaring. Of course the Johto and Hoenn Pokemon were already known worldwide. Just because we didn't know they existed doesn't mean the people that live in Pokeworld didn't.

The Meowth monster movie So, Max is a Sci-fi fan, eh? It was hilarious with all the random plot twist. "It turns out the Marhstomp were SUPER HEROES from a different planet and could grow to giant size!" The writers so PWNed Sci-fi flicks. XD

The Titanic parody Even more proof that May is a complete idiot.

wobbanut
18th July 2005, 6:00 PM
This episode was, for the most part, underwhelming. It reminded me a lot of "Same Old Song and Dance", where its cutsieness for kids ruined the episode (movies this time, instead of songs). Plus, it was awfully boring leading up to the last part of the episode. At least Red's movie was interesting.

A few things I did like about the episode:

-- At least they changed the last line of "Takeshi in Paradise" this time. "Ole, yeah, yo, hmm. Oh!" just sounded so stupid in SOSAD. Plus, he had Lombre! :)
-- Cameos by Gary, Norman and Caroline, and Brock's family, plus Brock in his old outfit (not that I don't love the current outfit).
-- Chimecho!!! :D I was LOL when Jessie said that the voice is cute the first 300 times. I still love it, though.
-- Team Rocket get a decent episode ending for a change. WOW, when was the last time they had that? They so rarely end episodes nowadays, and I can't think of any non-depressing endings they've had since season one (like "The Song of Jigglypuff" and "Holy Matrimony").

Overall, 6/10.

CharizardMaster
18th July 2005, 6:39 PM
Argh, I missed it. Was it good?

CyberCubed
18th July 2005, 8:15 PM
Not really.

Kthleen
18th July 2005, 8:48 PM
-- Team Rocket get a decent episode ending for a change. WOW, when was the last time they had that? They so rarely end episodes nowadays, and I can't think of any non-depressing endings they've had since season one (like "The Song of Jigglypuff" and "Holy Matrimony"). Does Meowth Rules! count? But you're right, good endings for TR when they have a major part in the episode (read: interact with Ash-tachi) are getting very hard to come by.

Argh, I missed it. Was it good?Personally, not really. The movies were... odd (the Titanic one was rather sad, though the real Titanic movie didn't really make me feel that way till the very very end), and unless you like 10 seconds of slapstick comedy or Meowth just swinging his arms in front of a building, you probably won't care too much for them. The rest was... hmm, I wonder what else is on....

Kamex
18th July 2005, 10:20 PM
I understand the movies were quite boring, but they weren't supposed to be that interesting, were they? I thought it was supposed to be comedic how they were sappy and rather childish. I mean come on, a giant Meowth destroying the city? You can't expect the writers to hope you'd find that particularly interesting, besides it being funny.

Edit: I forgot to mention a couple things.

That little girl (forgot her name, maybe Mariah or something... someone may have mentioned her name on this thread) had a nice unique voice that sounded like a little girl. Good job, 4Kids.

And Brock's Paradise was in there, I see. Nice continuity there. But he sounded a little different... meh, voices always seem to change for the worse. :/

Faerie
19th July 2005, 12:03 AM
I personally didn't like this episode. Can you say filler? It sucked. No real plot, nothing to advance on the future of the series, horridly written mini-stories? TOTAL filler! I'm actually counting the days to the episode(s) I'm really looking forward to. *yawns* October 8th...

The Big Al
19th July 2005, 1:03 AM
I wouldn't stick "Same Old Song and Dance" with this junk. Yes I'm defending a Johto filler.

SOSAD was decent because
-4Kids actually bothered to find someone who could sing to voice brittany.
-The full TR made a come back.
-The fanboys were exactly how I view fanboys (and fangirls). Absolutely Nuts.
-The English songs were decent and catchy.
-Jigglypuff trying to find its Microphone and stealing Brock's bread was funny.
-Takeshi's Paradise made its debute.

This episode was dumb. Nothing was funny and the one truly great part was ruined by bad casting.

Aerial Ace
19th July 2005, 2:30 PM
Argh, I missed it. Was it good?

No, it was extremely boring and I found it really hard to focus on watching it. The movies were pretty idiotic. This episode was really nothing more than a lousy filler and a trip back to the Johto days. You may have liked it if you were 8- because most of the attempts at jokes seemed to be aimed at younger kids. Meaning only the younger kids would find it funny or entertaining..

Kamex
19th July 2005, 10:19 PM
Although I liked this episode a little more than most other people on this thread, it's sort of ironic that the other episode with Brock's Paradise that's been dubbed as of now was one of my favorite episodes yet. And this episode was on the flip-side, with most feeling like it was a waste of thirty minutes. Well, there isn't that much irony considering I matched those two episodes with that one song, but... >_>

Medea
19th July 2005, 10:25 PM
The Big Al makes a good point. Something else I forgot to mention is that Brock's voice sucked when he sang, well compared to his singing in Same Old Song and Dance.

Kamex
19th July 2005, 10:37 PM
Something else I forgot to mention is that Brock's voice sucked when he sang, well compared to his singing in Same Old Song and Dance.
Lol, I mentioned that a little while back. Yeah, his voice sounded terrible compared to that other episode. But then again, if you listen carefully enough, his voice in general has been declining in quality during Hoenn. Perhaps it's just Eric Stuart. I mean, did his James voice sound like it used to in Same Old Song and Dance? Because... well, I'd better not get into that. X/

Waveblaster
19th July 2005, 10:43 PM
The episode wasn't bad, it could have been much better but it wasn't.

Pokemon Fan
21st July 2005, 8:23 PM
I personally didn't like this episode. Can you say filler? It sucked. No real plot, nothing to advance on the future of the series, horridly written mini-stories? TOTAL filler! I'm actually counting the days to the episode(s) I'm really looking forward to. *yawns* October 8th...
But weren't all the mentions of previous episodes and characters worth something? Its not every day we get flashbacks with the likes of Gary, Brock's siblings and such.

I find it odd that when this episode first aired in Japan it got little but praise from people here looking at the screenshots. Now the majority of posters seem to hate it. The old thread may even still exist somewhere.

I myself found the episode amusing, nothing more, nothing less. ^_^

The Big Al
21st July 2005, 9:50 PM
I think actually hearing the Scary Clefairy's dub voice is what made most of us hate. It was a funny clip in Japanese but the English version wasn't all that funny because the voicing was bad.

wobbanut
22nd July 2005, 1:12 AM
Does Meowth Rules! count? But you're right, good endings for TR when they have a major part in the episode (read: interact with Ash-tachi) are getting very hard to come by.

"Meowth Rules" is kind of neutral because of the very final scene, where Meowth can't believe Jessie and James are pushing him to learn pay day. The part on the island near the end, however, WAS terrific. :D

I really hope Meowth does learn pay day someday.

Blackjack Gabbiani
22nd July 2005, 7:56 AM
I think actually hearing the Scary Clefairy's dub voice is what made most of us hate. It was a funny clip in Japanese but the English version wasn't all that funny because the voicing was bad.

I liked the Ursaring's voice a lot. I thought it was hilarious.

But no, the truth is that that clip was just pretty boring.

Lil Brother
22nd July 2005, 8:32 AM
"Meowth Rules" is kind of neutral because of the very final scene, where Meowth can't believe Jessie and James are pushing him to learn pay day. The part on the island near the end, however, WAS terrific. :D

I really hope Meowth does learn pay day someday.Me too, but off course, the writers have completely forgotten about that attack. Or they just don't want TR to have money for once.

Pokemon Fan
22nd July 2005, 3:44 PM
Me too, but off course, the writers have completely forgotten about that attack. Or they just don't want TR to have money for once.
Not to get off topic but Pay Day and Meowth not knowing it is mentioned again in a Johto episode about that thief from a century or so ago who had a Meowth that used Pay Day. But really there is no reason to make much mention of Pay Day since Meowth made it clear he CAN'T learn the move because he used up all his attack-learning skills learning how to speak human.

JoHn_C
24th July 2005, 8:36 AM
Wow that was funny when Ash kept on laughing when he saw that movie in his younger age and so did the movie that Brock and his brothers & sisters watched

WindyNight
31st July 2005, 3:38 AM
YTV aired this episode today at noon..
It's not a great episode, but I guess it's okay...It's kinda boring, IMO...
May sure is into the love matter...
Overall, I give a rating 6.5/10 for the episode..

.Bambi.
31st July 2005, 4:03 AM
Woooooooooooooooooow.

I sure do hope whoever wrote this episode has committed suicide already. God.

I went to bed pretty late last night and didn't know if I'd be up in time to see it, so I taped the damned episode. Hey, seemingly crummy episodes have surprised me before, but this is just...*random guy vomits* < well...that pretty much says it.

Everything was horrible. It was a slow, pointless, boring episode with nothing in it to take interest in. And are the writers TRYING to make May look stupid? She's lost 10 IQ since the last episode if she willingly lets a pile of rocks fall on her. May deserves better then that >.> Damn writers.

And though I hate Talking Pipi, making it into a girl is a big nono. I was really expecting it to have a low scruffy voice...or something like Danny Devito's...but then they give us this crap. Oy. -.-o

Wait...I TAPED IT?! OMFG!!!

*takes tape out of VCR, smashes it, feeds to random dog, dog defecates, shoots dog, burns dog poo, gives to McDonalds, is made into a ‘Double Quarter Pounder’, guy eats it, blows up McDonalds, stabs guy, throws guy into ocean*

OMG! CONTAMINATED OCEAN!!!!!11111 :o

The Big Al
31st July 2005, 4:33 AM
*Washes mouth out after vomitting.*

May also gives us the worst of the movies. (I hated Titanic, it would have never happened. That and Leo is a Narsastic Ninney.)

Maxes was just plain ugh. Pokemon in fighters was cool.

Actually I was doing some calculating on Meowth increasing in size (actually someone decreasing in size comapred to a Meowth but that's another story). If Meowth quadrupled in size he would even be the heigh of a full grown man.

Brocks was good. Probably because he didn't talk and let the pictures do the talking.

If the Clefairy sounded like Gilbert Gotfreid it would have been perfect. This character screamed for him.

And the plot outside of the movies was just as bad. I wanted to kill TR for being jerks.

.Bambi.
2nd August 2005, 12:01 AM
Meowth's Boss Fantasies are making less sense by the second. Giovanni wants a Home Entertainment System? HE CAN BY THOUSANDS OF THEM!

TR has LOTS of money. Not to mention Giovanni looks like a wealthy man as it is. He can buy anything he damn well wants. Gez.

GaryAshRichie
2nd August 2005, 4:20 PM
Meowth's Boss Fantasies are making less sense by the second. Giovanni wants a Home Entertainment System? HE CAN BY THOUSANDS OF THEM!

TR has LOTS of money. Not to mention Giovanni looks like a wealthy man as it is. He can buy anything damn well wants. Gez.
LOL, it's so true. Giovanni could own a multiplex. "Blockheads?"
I thought the Camerupt fantasy was even more hilarious. "I don't ever recall anything about him having a lot of rocks." James' reaction to all that was priceless, he looked so embarrased. "I thought he liked riding around in sports cars."
I wonder how far they will go with Meowth's fantasies. I mean, how much farther can ther remove Meowth from reality? Perhaps it's a build-up to some future Gio meet-up where Meowth gives him the most asinine present ever.

Kthleen
2nd August 2005, 9:33 PM
I wonder how far they will go with Meowth's fantasies. I mean, how much farther can ther remove Meowth from reality? Perhaps it's a build-up to some future Gio meet-up where Meowth gives him the most asinine present ever.*pops out of cake* ♪Happy boifday, Mr. Gio....♪

*drools not so discreetly* Da boss'll be so happy.... So will I...!

Torkoal Stu
14th August 2005, 9:41 AM
This episode was very interesting I guess.

Good Points:
*Mays Thing gah I can't remmeber the name but we haven't seen it since Dewford.
*Brocks Paridise which we haven't seen since "That Same Old Song and Dance"
*Mariah had a classic little girl voice that Pokemon don't seem to give to many charecters making them better and more real.
*Torkoal was in it!!!!!!!!!!! But swimming??? WTF??? He was probably being killed in that water. x_x
*That "The more then morier" thing. Classic.

Bad Points:
*Bad debut for Almado and Kirlia (Who both get better apprences later anyway, so meh)
*Think up better Dub title

And some other stuff like all that movie talk. Gah it made my head ring. Pretty good though.

Factory Head Noland
14th August 2005, 12:16 PM
This episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (I had VERY low expectations for it), I never saw the Japanese version (trying to avoid it like the plague) so I didn't know exactly what happened.

Although I did like that scary Clefairy, Pikachu and Red in their movie, it was very funny when the Ursaring sent Clefairy flying off.
It was good to see some flashbacks from before we knew the characters such as Ash and Gary at the movies together (who would've thought it?)

Overall 4/10
Wasn't too good but not as bad as I thought it would be, I'm glad it's finally over! It's the episode that I have been dreading throughout all of Advanced Challenge.

Geki
16th August 2005, 12:09 AM
This was a HORRIBLE episode. Crappy animation, and it was just a bad filler, seemed to kiddy.

2/10

Kez
16th August 2005, 4:23 PM
One thing that supprised me was that Borock sang almost the exact same sone and wore the same outfit as when he sung in the Igglybuff episode back in Master quest. This proves that the writers do remember somethings.
Also, I thought that it was funny how they did a titanic type thing and it annoys me how the only actors are pokemon. And that there was a Tediursa in the film ash saw, which he had never seen before Johto.

Logoliker2004
3rd September 2005, 3:03 PM
I was glad to see a joke about the Scary Clefairy in the TV series, as well as the Titanic parody and such.

BTW, Gilbert Gottfried would be a GREAT Scary Clefairy, hearing it with a voice like Iago the Parrot or the original Dr. Bender (of the Fairly Oddparents) or Digit (of Cyberchase)!

wobbanut
29th September 2005, 6:34 PM
You know, I watched this episode again this morning, and I have to say something about the clefairy movie that everyone's moaning and groaning about. I've seen the complaints about how they made it female in America while she was male in Japan. Well, after watching it a second time, I believe they made clefairy sound that way in the U.S. because they were making her sound exactly like Clefairy speaking human. They weren't necessarily making it female, just making it sound like a clefairy. They did the exact same thing with teddiursa and ursaring here, and in season two's "Stage Fight".

PDL
5th October 2005, 9:57 PM
well, I finally got around to see this episode... it was kinda craptacular really... but it's great to see flashback episodes, so I'll take em as they come...

the manga pippi was slightly amusing, though the fact that it was dubbed as female kinda lowered the halarity factor...

I guess this episode was pretty well dubbed for a crap episode...

GonbeTR
20th January 2006, 12:57 AM
Haven't you noticed that the title "Light, Camerupt, Action!" and epsiode 71 "Lights, Camera, Quacktion!" are nearly same. I think writers repeat themselves at titles. However this episode was quite good for a filler. Short movies are very interesting.

C.J. Ray
25th July 2006, 6:42 AM
And that there was a Tediursa in the film ash saw, which he had never seen before Johto.

While I would agree with you, I think that the writers sort of forgot that Teddiursa, Ursaring, and Azumarill didn't exist in Kanto, so the movies made no sense. (If I do manage to do my long-stewing "old food in new cans" re-dub fanfic idea where we look over Ash's adventures with an original companion traveling all the way with him, I'd change those flashbacks so that they were realistic.) However, my theory is that maybe Ash knew about all those Pokemon, but they were never seen in Kanto except in stories.

Meh, the only thing I hated was that parody of the evil Japanese manga with the butt-ugly gay Clefairy with the ugly face. Eagh...

EDIT: I really think this was a great episode, even if I didn't keep it because of the ugly Clefairy in the flashback Ash had. (Japanese are eccentrics.) I find it a nice plot about how this guy shows old movies to these small villages that can't afford theaters. Even if Dogasu was griping about people getting excited over a silent movie, I find it nice that they had silent movies in the anime, considering that it's a throwback to the early movies of yesteryear.

Ashy Boy
3rd September 2006, 10:53 AM
I didn't like Jessie being lazy and denying it to James and Meowth when they tried to steal the movie.

Marill
4th September 2006, 1:38 AM
This and 'Same old Song and Dance' have that eeerily familiar crappiness that makes me cringe throughout most of it. I actually thought I'd already posted in this thread when in fact it was the 'Same old Song and Dance' one.

I hated having to even forward through that to get the TR screenshots from it.

Seriously, if I was Giovanni and I was given that movie with no sound (was the tape recorder stolen and well they didn't kidnap the guy doing the narration) I'd probably order the givers execution >_< Scrap that, I'd be happier if the sound wasn't there.

Pokemonger49777
5th November 2006, 4:53 PM
Evil armaldos? They don't tell me anything anymore!

Magmarashi
16th January 2007, 1:30 AM
For the First Time, Red (though, he's the ol' Pocket Monsters Manga Red) makes an Anime Cameo.

I liked the Godzilla Nyasu/Meowth Movie the most. Cool and funny. And little Spacefighter Pichus!

Battra
6th June 2007, 12:07 AM
Excellent episode very enjoyable, reminds me of my childhood and going to see movies in the local park. I like James and his Chimecho but Jessie getting sick of it is a little annoying I seem to remeber her cuddling her Wurmple earlier in the series. As for the movies I recognized Ultraman with the Marshtomp, Titanic with the Natu and Xatu, and I believe Pulse and Minun might be based off of Laurel and Hardy (ask your parents kids and make them remember how old they are.) And if you want more info on silent movies ask your grandparents or great grandparents.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:47 AM
I liked this episode. The movies they did were pretty cool in my opinion.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:35 AM
I liked this episode. The movies they did were pretty cool in my opinion.

same opinion here, they were neat:)

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:17 PM
I always like Episodes like this

cg_25
29th April 2009, 4:04 AM
YES, BROCK AND HIS EPIC SONG AGAIN!

Sorry, I got excited!

Ash-kid
11th December 2009, 10:06 AM
Great episode.
the movie that the kids saw was great too. i loved the part with Armaldo vs Pikachu.

Lorde
1st March 2010, 6:54 AM
I remember wanting to see this one so badly because the commercials made it look so awesome, but in reality, I barely even remember the events that took place. I remember Ash admiring the Feather Badge he won off of Winona in the previous episode and then seeing Ash and Co. meet up with the man and his Camerupt as they tried to get through the river. They were helping them get across and Torkoal was involved in the pushing. I thought that was weird since Fire types shouldn't be in the water (I'm talking about both Camerupt and Torkoal).

Meowth's boss fantasy had something to do with movies being shown for Giovanni's comfort, but James wasn't very convinced by Meowth's newest scheme. Team Rocket attacks them but they're blown away as always and Ash and the team decide to camp out for the night. I liked that we saw scenes from an earlier film Ash and Gary had seen back in Pallet Town. It featured Red from a manga and his talking Clefairy. I can't believe Ash found it funny lol. Then the Machoke Wild West parody film, Max and May and the Godzilla parody, and the Natu/Xatu Titanic parody.

So many movies were featured in the anime, I didn't think they had movie theatres and such in the Pokemon regions. Finally Ash and Co. arrived at the place of the next movie screening and just as the movie with Minun and Plusle was getting good, Team Rocket interferes as always. While Ash and the others went on and fought, it was hilarious to see Brock and Lombre doing there Latin dancing routine again. At least things ended with a laugh or two, pretty good Filler. 5/10

KGB13
28th August 2010, 6:49 AM
This was a nice little episode, I liked the movies they watched, they were pretty cute.

Overall, this was good episode.

AquaMilotic
1st December 2010, 3:23 AM
One of the best episodes ever, especially the movie with the fake Clefairy in the movie Ash saw when he was a little kid. A legendary moment in Pokémon history for me.

Brock trying to entertain in his Mexican outfit was so funny.

In my opinion, an underrated episode.

Milotic

Tyranitar Rules
10th December 2010, 11:25 AM
Not the best filler.

G50
5th March 2011, 7:40 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Armaldo for the 1st time, even though it was only in the movie part of the episode. It was interesting hearing and seeing what Movies the gang saw as kids. Ash's flashback of a Scary Clefairy was very funny. It was cool seeing a younger version of Ash in a flashback.

28/100

Vernikova
20th July 2012, 4:59 AM
A pretty standard filler. There was nothing too bad about it but there was nothing interesting either. I liked the Pokemon manga short that they included. I kind of wish that they added more of those throughout the series. Nothing much else of note here though.

7threst
5th October 2012, 11:15 AM
Hah, this episode I remember too and I think this one was alright. It had some fun parodies and references to other movies and genres, and I think that concept was well-executed and implemented in this episode. What is very noticeable is that many of these "Advanced Fillers" are quite reminiscent of previous episodes in the Indigo League series and I like that.

Painkiller2001
8th November 2014, 1:21 AM
I liked seeing young Ash and Gary watching a movie that was reminiscent of the original Pocket Monsters Red and his Clefairy. :)
I saw a few mentions of how Camerupt and Torkoal were in the water and how it's odd it didn't seem to bother them. Just becase fire types are weak against water, it dosen't mean they hate water in every form. They're weak against water attacks.