PDA

View Full Version : Judgement Day! (368)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:22 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/368.jpgJudgement Day!

After May's win at the Lilycove Contest, Ash & Co. decide to head towards the open seas and come to an Island with a guy who has the 3 Kanto Middle Evolution Starters. However Team Rocket appear and want to nab them, will they?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/368.shtml)

Discuss

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 9:32 PM
I didn't real like this episode. Even though all 3 starter was in...it wasn't that intresting...

Hales
24th October 2004, 10:41 AM
So who really won that battle between Brock and Ash? I read the summary but I still don't get it...

Brock looked like he won but then the girl said that Jimmy shouldn't have stopped the match *confused*

Chris
24th October 2004, 11:26 AM
Takeshi was supposed to lose since Lombre played dead. If it was down for that long, even if it wasn't KO'd, it should've been counted as a KO.

I thought this episode was very interesting and Jimmy seemed like a cool filler character. Shame the animation on this episode really blew.

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 12:33 PM
Well the animation can't be great everytime....

Is the Brock's Lombre's first battle? It's Brock's first double, I know that.

ChaosMage
16th January 2005, 9:43 AM
Lombre will be used A LOT MORE now, won't he?

Torkoal Stu
16th January 2005, 10:18 AM
Well the animation can't be great everytime....

Is the Brock's Lombre's first battle? It's Brock's first double, I know that.

i think it is, even though it evolved like 25eps ago! that is perfectic(lombre, might of fought against team rocket but I don't count them!)

Space Skitty
17th January 2005, 12:36 AM
I thought the battle between Ash & Brock was fun to see. They haven't battled eachother in a loooooong time. Jimmy seemed more unique than most filler characters, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he made another appearence.

ChaosMage
17th January 2005, 7:51 PM
He's one of few characters in Hoenn with a Kanto-related past.

vulpix
3rd April 2005, 12:17 AM
since i have only seen the pictures,it seams confusing.

Rex Kamex
12th April 2005, 2:40 AM
Well, this is the first episode with the new title screen. It makes me wonder if 4Kids will use this new one. If so, then they'll really pay for messing with Ash's badge case design. After all, the screen starts with a Poke Ball that spins around and turns into the Poke Ball on his badge case. What'll 4Kids do, turn it into a spinning rectangle? Every episode afterwards? A spinning rectangle just isn't intresting. I hope 4Kids has learned a valuable lesson.

And the episode was good, too. It had "Type Wild" during Ash and Brock's battle.

phoenix12
22nd July 2005, 9:14 PM
so is this the season finale for ADVANCED CHALLENGE?

Phantom_Bugsy
16th August 2005, 12:18 AM
I think Jimmy is hot and I'd totally do him. [/blunt]

CyberCubed
16th August 2005, 12:20 AM
so is this the season finale for ADVANCED CHALLENGE?

Yes, this is the last ep of Season 7.

Geodude
17th August 2005, 1:19 AM
You know how 4Kids used to dub onigiri as sandwiches? Well, they've taken it a step further this time:

http://www.geoscreens.com/misc/ag92onigiri.jpg http://www.geoscreens.com/misc/ag92sandwich.jpg

This is beyond ridiculous. It's impossible for a sandwich to roll down a hill, but this one did.

Kanadian Kyuubi
20th August 2005, 2:04 PM
Okay, this is one of those moments when 4Kids goes way too far! I thought they were done with Onigirl edits, they could have just got away with painting away the black part and calling it Rice Ball.

Espeon Of The Mist
20th August 2005, 3:54 PM
This episode seems good, but I have a question.

What IS that white and black ball, and why is it not in the dub, and why a SANDWHICH?

ok, that was 3 questions...

Phantom_Bugsy
20th August 2005, 4:00 PM
It's onigiri. :D

And they turned it into a sandwich 'cause 4Kids is all OMG JAPANESE CULTURE!!!!!1 NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 and turned it into a sammitch.

The only thing I wanna see with peanut butter and jelly in this ep is Jimmy. Covered in it. Naked. Mm-mm-MM.

Geodude
20th August 2005, 6:26 PM
They could've at least changed it into a donut instead of a sandwich. At least a donut could conceivably roll.

DarkWobbuffet
27th August 2005, 7:17 PM
You know how 4Kids used to dub onigiri as sandwiches? Well, they've taken it a step further this time. This is beyond ridiculous. It's impossible for a sandwich to roll down a hill, but this one did.

*twitch twitch* Jees la freakin weize. It's amazing just how far these dubbers go to get rid of any Japanese references in a show that was made in Japan.

The only thing I wanna see with peanut butter and jelly in this ep is Jimmy. Covered in it. Naked. Mm-mm-MM.

...I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. O_o

They could've at least changed it into a donut instead of a sandwich. At least a donut could conceivably roll.

Yeah, but then that would actully make sense. XP

As for the episode itself, it was kinda iffy. I enjoyed seeing the middle stage Kanto starters again after so long (yay Lizard!), and an episode revolving around a Pokemon battle referee was sure different.

I was confused about one major thing, in the double battle Takeshi apperently did an illegal move that would disqualify him from the battle. (at first i thought it was Fake Out) If this really was an illegal tactic, wouldn't a former gym leader like Takeshi know that?

Phantom_Bugsy
10th September 2005, 5:06 PM
Teh fux.

I MISSED IT.

I've been dying to see it AND I MISSED IT.

JIMMY-SAMA, I'M SORRY! ; ; *weep*

CyberCubed
10th September 2005, 5:13 PM
I thought this was a pretty decent episode to end Season 7 with. At first I thought 4kids made a dubbing error when May referred to Ivysaur as a Venusaur, but it was funny when she realized she got it all wrong.

OMGWTF, Brock actually does something in this episode? He hasn't battled in ages. Isn't this the first episode where it focused on the judges who referee the matches? I don't remember them ever doing this episode before.

This episode had stronger continuity than usual, showing how Jimmy got a Cascade badge from Daisy. Looks like Daisy is still content with giving away badges for nothing, no wonder why Misty wants to stay at the GYM. :p

Funny how Jimmy traded away the Shiny Magikarp for a Charmeleon without noticing anything special about it. Thank god May has a Pokedex, it's much less frustrating to see May scan old Pokemon (that are new to her), rather than to see Ash scan Pokemon he's seen many times.

So Advanced Challenge comes to an end in a pretty decent finale. Overall a good ep.

.:Sen:.
10th September 2005, 5:14 PM
This episode wasnt as good as i expected it to be. that is all =p

PDL
10th September 2005, 5:24 PM
"I want to help the teacher!" XD

rolling sandwich aside, this episode was amusing... it's also nice to see Daisy again...

Medea
10th September 2005, 6:17 PM
So sorry you didn't see it Phantom_Bugsy. Either way, I didn't care much for this episode.

Phantom_Bugsy
10th September 2005, 6:24 PM
Not a lot of people seem to like this ep...o___0

Sh*t, that means I would have loved it ; ; *WEEP*

Any clue if it's gonna re-air?

Medea
10th September 2005, 6:27 PM
^Well, I know it won't air within the next 7 days!

Phantom_Bugsy
10th September 2005, 6:40 PM
...teh fux. That's not fair :<

WHY MUST I BE SO LAZY?! *goes to find some way to punish herself for missing it*

Emma Iveli
10th September 2005, 7:13 PM
*begins crazy P.O.A. rant* That was insane what 4kids did! A snadwitch can't roll down a hill. It's just as bas the "cookies" from the second One Piece episode (it had the techure of a rice ball but somehow in Zoro's mouth became not-smashed up cookies). Join the P.O.A. *ends Crazy P.O.A. rant*

Sorry about that, any ways I liked the episode. I might be only the only one who caught the subtle Sailor Moon refrneces, well in the begging Brock ran with toast in his mought like Usagi and I'm pretty sure 4kids caught that too other wise they wouldn't have named the Pro at the school Serena. Also looks like Max dosn't know as much about Pokemon as he thinks he does.

O_o... ^_^;;;... -_-... That's all I have to say.

S.Suikun
10th September 2005, 7:33 PM
Worst. Animation. Ever. Worst. Animation. Edit. Ever.

Yet it actually wasn't too bad for a filler. No doubt the continuity was pleasing, but the episode actually covered an important battling aspect that hadn't been explored before. I think May's ignorance of the Pokemon at the beginning would have been much funnier if she actually got Wartortle's name right, followed by Max telling her it's a Squirtle.

Pika Hikari KT
10th September 2005, 7:41 PM
*watches the dub onigiri scene* KHHHAAANNNNN~~!~~!!~!!!1111!!:@

That edit was very, very obvious. Moreso than even the One Piece edits!X_x It now makes this episode even more infamous, since it also has the worst animation and artwork in an Advanced Generation episode. Other than that, the episode was original...and I got to see Charmeleon~!-^_^- ...Which reminds me, I think Brock mentioned Kanto when he said they were the evolved forms of Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander.:D Overall, 6.5/10.

Chosen of Mana
10th September 2005, 7:41 PM
The Kanto starters are getting to be a little over-showcased, don't you think? >_>;

Otherwise, a good filler. We get to see where all those random judges come from. And did anyone notice that, during the night scene, half the time, part of May's glove was missing?

Phantom_Bugsy
10th September 2005, 7:42 PM
O_o... ^_^;;;... -_-... That's all I have to say.

....what? XD I do. I wanna do him like...really really bad. :<

Judges need more attention in the series, IMO. Some of them have been really really hot. Caden, for instance. >3

Maybe we'll see Jimmy ref a future battle?

Infinite Master Sceptile
10th September 2005, 8:19 PM
Maybe we'll see Jimmy ref a future battle?
No such luck. Sorina (the teacher lady) told him to be a Pokemon Trainer.
She expelled him from the referee school, because he was incompetent as a referee. Anyway, I liked the episode, though the animation was horrible.

If this really was an illegal tactic, wouldn't a former gym leader like Takeshi know that?
He also knows Jimmy is inexperienced at refereeing and would not know whether or not that was cheating.
All in all, better than I expected, but mostly because of Jimmy and the flashbacks.

GaryAshRichie
10th September 2005, 8:20 PM
Well, I really liked this episode. Jimmy...geez, how is it I've never heard of this character until today? :o So he's like...a drifter who just goes on luck? So cool! I so hope he's going back to Kanto because Ash needs to run into him again.
And I'm glad his teacher expelled him too because that would have been such a lame career for him.

Eric Cartman
10th September 2005, 8:21 PM
I liked this episode, and seeing the Kanto starters Never hurts.

V Faction
10th September 2005, 8:24 PM
The Sandwich looked out of place with the bad animation. It was actually shaded and drawn well. But then the extremely lacking Poke-Mation, gave it an off look.

PDL
10th September 2005, 9:31 PM
well, with the way the sandwich was animated, looked like something out of Sealab 2101 or Aqua Teen Hunger Force...

not that it's a bad thing, though, actually scrap that, it is a bad thing in an anime... (but this would fit well with a cartoon that uses old Hanna-Barbeara stuff, like ATHF)

Hiraitos Zero aka OCZ
10th September 2005, 9:37 PM
...teh fux. That's not fair :<

WHY MUST I BE SO LAZY?! *goes to find some way to punish herself for missing it*

I didnt mind missing it,but I felt like a *******.3 minutes to when it starts and I went back to sleep,must've been good though.

Kanadian Kyuubi
11th September 2005, 12:07 AM
Okay, review time!

Now, I'll save the "talk of doom" for the end, you all know what I mean right? :)

Jimmy sounded older than he looked, and Sirina sounded great. It's great that we got to see the evolved forms of the Kanto Starters again, voices and all. The opening gag was funny, everyone knows that May hasn't had much interaction with Kanto starters (her own blubasaur and the starters in "A Six Pack Attack"), but I'm suprised that Max was confused about Wartortle wildly enough. Now, I don't think Lombre's unique move at the end of the battle was illegal, if that were the case Zigzagoon's would be banned from battle as they can play dead according to the Pokedex.

After all that, we had one intresting season finale. Gasp, AG Season 2 is over! Now, we start AG Season 3 with the "Island Hopper" filler saga (ending with the most important 2-parter in history, not a filler according to my definitions of a filler), so lets be happy and make sure 4Kids doesn't mess it up...like they did today...

Okay, good part over, now lets discuss the infamous Sandwich Incident. Now, I've seem 4Kids do Onigirl edits before, they just called them different things (Rice Balls, eclairs, ice cream sandwiches). But this goes WAY too far!!! Now, this edit was not only silly, it also defies the laws of physics: Flat objects such as Sandwiches cannot roll, only Onigirl in this case could effectivally roll down a hill. Now, 4Kids has done crazy paint edits before *coughonepiececough*, and sometimes they are very sloppy..

Example:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tsukento/oops.jpg
Ooops, you just painted away some of Luffy's hat!

So, this edit was crazy, but painting away the black stuff or making it more round would have helped better.

17/20

Nice end to AG Season 2, shouldn't have ended with a filler but still...

Black Marauder
11th September 2005, 12:27 AM
Saw this episode........it wasnt bad.........Season finale finally@!!!

Thriller
11th September 2005, 12:30 AM
Off-Topic: What was 4kids trying to edit out that they had to remove part of Luffy's hat?

On-Topic: They kept Jimmy's name, this makes me think that unless theres a sex-change, Harley will keep his name because Harley is American enough. I didn't pay any attention to the rice ball edit even if they sandwhich was rolling down the hill. Lucky for me, I taped the episode so I can check it again. I had to do something for the last 10 minutes so I'll have to re-watch it again anyway. Oh and it looks like 4Kids is gonna have a hard time with the new title background. They might as well stop that stupid badge case edit since you can't paint edit computer animation so HAH! to you 4Kids, next time don't make such stupid edits.

Emma Iveli
11th September 2005, 2:49 AM
Off-Topic: What was 4kids trying to edit out that they had to remove part of Luffy's hat?

I hate to go off-topic but I'll explain: In the olgneal the post that tied Zoro looked like a cross, in an atmept to get rid of it they accendtly erased part of Luffy's hat. Too funny *join the P.O.A.*

Lil Brother
11th September 2005, 6:20 AM
...sandwich scene? O.o

*goes and re-watches recording*

Oh! That! I didn't even think about that. Er... burn, 4Kids?

Anyways, this episode was kind of boring. Even the overly-awesome Kanto starter evolutions can't un-scar this. 6/10. So, where did Jimmy start out anyways? The forest didn't look like anything we saw in Kanto... Maybe around the Safari Zone?

Hiraitos Zero aka OCZ
11th September 2005, 6:22 AM
Wait.have something to say.

Wtf at the Ongiri edit.Everything else,filler season finale.T'was ok.

Geodude
11th September 2005, 6:40 AM
I was confused about one major thing, in the double battle Takeshi apperently did an illegal move that would disqualify him from the battle. (at first i thought it was Fake Out) If this really was an illegal tactic, wouldn't a former gym leader like Takeshi know that?
The whole point of the battle was to test Jimmy's skills as a referee, so that was exactly what Brock was doing. He wanted to see if Jimmy would declare Lombre unable to battle or not.

Tetsuya-san
11th September 2005, 12:26 PM
Onigiri edit makes no sense whatsoever. And to think that very soon, we'll be seeing Masamune running down a hill chasing Onigiri. The edit makes me think twice. -_-;

Onigiri can roll, but Jam Sandwiches! I mean, what in the world is that about?

It was a pretty interesting episode nonetheless.

Kanadian Kyuubi
11th September 2005, 2:14 PM
Don't worry, if that giant onigirl you were talking about was in the Giant Claydol episode, prepare for the usual, but not the new usual if you know what I mean.

FightingBlaziken
11th September 2005, 8:44 PM
Meh, I didn't like this episode that much. The only 2 parts I liked is when Jimmy's Wartortle evolved into Blastoise. I also like the part in the beginning where May mistook the 2nd stages Kanto starters for there pre/evolutions. Other than those parts, the episode was quite boring.

Thriller
12th September 2005, 2:38 AM
If they edit Massamune's Rice Balls at least we won't have to make a wasted pun with Ash's Glalie.

I re-watched the episode via recording today since I missed the last quarter so more comments.

-TR's Mecha of the day looked so bland and dull inside.
-Why is it that the Cotd's Pokemon can just suddenly evolve but Pokemn like Ash's Corphish never do?
-Jimmy was a retard for not keeping the Magikarp. Of course he would'nt have Charmeleon if he kept it.
-Was the few 'Misty' reference's 4Kids add-ons?

CyberCubed
12th September 2005, 2:40 AM
Not that I know of, the gang would definitely mention Misty if they saw the Cascade badge.

Akane
12th September 2005, 12:49 PM
Well I did enjoyed this epsiode I just wish it was better animated. ^^; There where some good points, but the animation wasn't up to par at all. I did like when Jimmy tries to save his Kanto starter Pokemon, Brock battled with Ash, May and Max mess up between Pokemon, Misty reference....yeah. Those were great, now if only the animation was great. Meh...7/10. Ends a good season nonethless. ^^

jolteonjak
12th September 2005, 2:24 PM
P_B please forgive me. :(

I didn't really enjoy the episode. I did miss Beach Blankout Blastoise, so it was good to see an episode featuring Blastoise and Wartortle. I thought Jimmy's voice was too nasal sounding. Not what I pictured for him. At least he was a cutie though. :)

Phantom_Bugsy
12th September 2005, 10:40 PM
-Jimmy was a retard for not keeping the Magikarp. Of course he would'nt have Charmeleon if he kept it.

.....and I'm sure he thinks the same of you. -___-; *not in the mood to see people calling her dear Jimmy a retard* Watch yer mouth if you wanna keep yer credibility.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to keep a Magikarp, shiny or not. :x Boring li'l things, 'least til they evolve.

CyberCubed
12th September 2005, 10:51 PM
He didn't seem to make the connection that Magikarp was a shiny, which is why he traded it away so quickly. Apparently he didn't notice what was special about it.

Dogasu
12th September 2005, 11:40 PM
(but this would fit well with a cartoon that uses old Hanna-Barbeara stuff, like ATHF)

All of the animation for ATHF is made specifically for the series.

The only parts of the show that are recycled from old Hanna Barbera stuff are some of the backgrounds, which were taken from Swat Kats and Johnny Quest.

Thriller
12th September 2005, 11:43 PM
He didn't seem to make the connection that Magikarp was a shiny, which is why he traded it away so quickly. Apparently he didn't notice what was special about it.

The first thing you ever see is the colour. If he didn't notice that the Magikarp was gold and not normal red he must be colour blind or something.

.....and I'm sure he thinks the same of you. -___-; *not in the mood to see people calling her dear Jimmy a retard* Watch yer mouth if you wanna keep yer credibility.

lol. I have credibility? Would you be just as ticked if I called him a retard for not keeping a shiny Mewtwo?

Phantom_Bugsy
12th September 2005, 11:46 PM
Yep.

He probably just liked Charmeleon more, dudes. None of this OMG HE DINT KEAP A SHINEY!!!!!1 crap. It's preference, yo. And he's a 'retard' for having a preference?

Alfonso
12th September 2005, 11:47 PM
Not that I know of, the gang would definitely mention Misty if they saw the Cascade badge.

Actually, if I recall correctly, the gang didn't mention Misty at all in the Japanese version.

Thing is, trading away a Pokemon for something else which you might actually *like* isn't retarded. I'd trade a shiny Mewtwo away for a Nosepass or a Dustox, to be quite frank. Like Oos said, it's preference... Jimmy obviously has his own taste in Pokemon, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Churly, please watch what you say in future. Some people might be offended by you calling one of their favorite characters a retard. -_-

Thriller
12th September 2005, 11:53 PM
Actually, if I recall correctly, the gang didn't mention Misty at all in the Japanese version.

Typical.

He probably just liked Charmeleon more, dudes. None of this OMG HE DINT KEAP A SHINEY!!!!!1 crap. It's preference, yo. And he's a 'retard' for having a preference?

If only he knew MY story. I must have hatched 100 Magikarp Duds in my Crystal using the Shiny Ditto Trick Breeding.

Churly, please watch what you say in future. Some people might be offended by you calling one of their favorite characters a retard. -_-

When I called Jimmy a retard I wasn't being all that serious and I didn't know 'Oos' loved Jimmy then. What am I supposed to just know that she loved the Cotd?

GaryAshRichie
13th September 2005, 12:01 AM

The whole "shiny" concept doesn't seem to be that big of a deal in the anime...it's usually brought up then dropped just as quickly. He simply said it was oddly colored, or something to that effect, which indicates he didn't even know about it. Since people are always shocked by shinies in the anime, it's safe to assume a lot of people are unaware of the phenomenon.

I wonder if Jimmy will actually be training when we next run into him, or if we'll find him easily swayed into another suck job, like being a Nurse Joy's assistant or something equally mundane.

Alfonso
13th September 2005, 12:04 AM
When I called Jimmy a retard I wasn't being all that serious and I didn't know 'Oos' loved Jimmy then. What am I supposed to just know that she loved the Cotd?

Still, calling a character a retard is still character bashing. Which is against forum rules, so...

Phantom_Bugsy
13th September 2005, 12:17 AM
And the big rant in my sig, Jimmy pic, and big letter that say that I'm ****** 'cause I missed the Jimmy ep isn't enough of a clue....? o___0 And you were calling JIMMY blind?!

MayAsh1987
13th September 2005, 3:27 AM
Wow, I didn't know the sandwich edited, I knew something fishy was going on, and they changed the title screen. The animation in this episode was horrible, I didn't really like it, but the episode was decent overall.

Holy sh*it, Brock and ASh battled. Now that one caught my attention, other then that it was okay.

This gets 6.9/10.

Pokemon Fan
14th September 2005, 4:01 PM
[SPOIL]-Why is it that the Cotd's Pokemon can just suddenly evolve but Pokemn like Ash's Corphish never do?
Good question but in this case Squirtle was Jimmy's first Pokemon, and he's older than Ash. Therefore he has had Wartortle a lot longer than Ash has had Corphish.

-Was the few 'Misty' reference's 4Kids add-ons?
I would like to see it confirmed that they didn't mention her. If so then how did they get on the topic of him not havign to battle to get the badge?

Kamex
15th September 2005, 1:58 AM
I liked this episode. Never really thought about where Pokemon judges came from, but then again, they were always random people the writers didn't focus on, all looking the same. Well, they weren't expecting to get into the background of them.

Nice to see the evolution of the starters. And Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon, so that was cool too.

That's all. 7/10.

Lil Brother
15th September 2005, 2:04 AM
and they changed the title screen.They changed the theme?! O.O

*goes back to watch his recording again*

CyberCubed
15th September 2005, 2:11 AM
The next episode has a new title screen in the dub, 4kids used the old one for this ep.

Geki
17th September 2005, 6:32 AM
This was a pretty decent episode, I liked it for a filler. Jimmy was cool, he had all three Kanto Starters. Too bad Charmeleon and Ivysaur didn't evolve in the end like Wartortle, it would have been awesome.

4/5

Joe
25th September 2005, 9:47 AM
Pretty good episode, BUT!!! Talk about Ash; Mr. Hypocrite!! 'You don't just run into Ivysaur and Charmeleon!' Why not? You ran into Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander!!

Anyway, like I said, pretty good episode, I liked it. Yay for Mudkip time!

Torkoal Stu
25th September 2005, 9:50 AM
Pretty good episode, BUT!!! Talk about Ash; Mr. Hypocrite!! 'You don't just run into Ivysaur and Charmeleon!' Why not? You ran into Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander!!
Brock said that line so Ash wasn't being a hypocrite :p

Pretty good, Blastoise! *drools* XD But Mudkip got time and battled! ZOMG! Also its pretty good, Lombre kicked as* and Shiny Magikarp apprence was pretty cool.

But not too good as the last Challenge episode.

Joe
25th September 2005, 9:52 AM
Ash agreed though, once again, making him a hypocrite. I believe he said: 'Yeah...' or something. But I know he's a hypocrite! :p

Jimmy's voice sounded nothing like I thought it would! :o And he didn't know that the shiny Magikarp was rare!! :o:o

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
25th September 2005, 10:08 AM
it was nice seeing Wartortle, Charmeleon and Ivysaur again *cough*fireredleafgreenadvertising*cough*

It was great to see a shiny Magikarp, as well as Mudkip finally battling! it was a shame Brock didn't use forretress though.
I loved seeing Blastoise again, I love that thing.
It was cool to see the magikarp sub

The battle was good but it was a shame we didn't get to see the end of it.

Out of all I would rate this 8/10

Joe
25th September 2005, 10:13 AM
THE SANDWICH!!! Could they of made it any worse? At one point, I think it went through a bit of Wartortles face. :o They should of just left it as is, instead of "making it better", as they call it.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
25th September 2005, 10:45 AM
it was a really cool episode XD,Cant wait for 3 episodes of advance battle soon

ChaosMage
1st October 2005, 10:29 PM
This was a nice novelty episode, and a decent filler to end a good series on. I wasn't sure about May and Max's stupidity at the start of this episode. Jimmy was an alright character, and the double battle was pretty cool. Since Lombre and Mudkip will hardly ever battle again as long as they are alive, and Corphish has never been too connected with Swellow, it was a groovy little match between two characters wo rarely battle.

Pokemon Fan
3rd October 2005, 5:04 PM
I don't see why you see this as hypocritical. It was said earlier in the series that Bulbasaur and its kind are much rarer in Hoenn than in Kanto. Even in Kanto you don't simply run into wild Starter Pokemon very often (Ash's Squirtle and Charmander weren't wild but either had or had had a trainer), let alone evolved forms of the the starter Pokemon. And you REALLY don't simply find two evolved forms of two different starter Pokemon in the wild together at the same place. The remark was perfectly legit, the whole point being that starter pokemon aren't commonly encountered in the wild.

ChaosMage
3rd October 2005, 6:23 PM
The starters are specially bred because they are so rare. How many wild ones have we ever met that weren't in special colonies? The Johto'uns seemed to break this chain, but the writers were desperate back then.

MondoTR
17th October 2005, 9:17 PM
A school to learn to be a battle judge, that's cool. Brock's acted as a judge quite a few times, wonder why he didn't mention it.

wobbanut
19th October 2005, 5:58 PM
I FINALLY got to watch this episode the other day, thanks to taping the Aftertoons shows.

It was nice that they had an episode showcasing pokemon referees. I definitely never really gave much thought into what goes into becoming a referee, and the episode was pretty informative.

Jimmy was a pretty interesting guest character, though he won't exactly make my favorites. It was interesting how his journey has mirrored Ash's early days, from happening to run into two evolved starter pokemon to winning a Cascade badge for nothing from miss bubblehead. Okay, he did clean out the pool instead of just walking in the door, so I give him credit. :) Brock's comment about how you just don't run into ivysaur and charmeleon made me smirk, since Ash did the same with all the Kanto starters and Johto starters, plus treecko. Come to think of it, Brock also ran into mudkip. I guess he was right, though, that you just don't run into the evolved starter pokemon in the wild.

Also, I liked Team Rocket's machine. :) 8/10 for me.

Aptenodytes
30th October 2005, 4:58 AM
it was ok, but i think all 3 starters shouldve evolved. now that would be something cool to watch.too bad misty wasnt there when he won the badge, wouldve been good to see her again. 7/10

GoggleHead
31st May 2006, 12:35 AM
I like this episode. It was the one I saw on the monday I got cable. I was already really happy about getting cable, and seeing all the origianl Kanto starters evolved and together was really cool. I actually thought all of them would evolve. The kid only got a Blastoise, he should've also had a Charizard and a Venusaur.

Ashy Boy
25th June 2006, 4:19 PM
The highlight of the episode
The Ash vs Brock battle. Seeing them battle each other is a nice change than the usual battles.

ZTcrazy
25th June 2006, 4:32 PM
I liked this episode because it gave us a break from debuting Hoenn PKMN, even though it is good. Wartortle evolving in the giant Pokeball was quite fun to watch.

Flame Haze SnS
27th July 2006, 11:45 PM
I've seen many mistakes in this episode today: May's glove, Charmeleon's belly. The edited part was the rice ball that was turned into a sandwhich. The Pokedex May's holding even called Blastoise a shellfish Pokemon! Not really a good episode aside from the story.

Judai Yuki
27th July 2006, 11:49 PM
I bet you the battle was taken off because Brock won.Yet again we get to see Glalie get turned into a sandwich.

-Judai

C.J. Ray
28th July 2006, 12:41 AM
too bad misty wasnt there when he won the badge, wouldve been good to see her again.

If she had been there, she would have beaten Daisy to a pulp for giving the boy a badge without a battle. Remember "The Waterflowers of Cerulean City?" :D

As for the starters, I know that we'll never see Jimmy again(how many rivals from past episodes have ever shown up again in a Pokemon League?), but I bet I'd love to make a fanfic where he goes back to Cerulean City and has a decent battle, and Ivysaur evolves when battling Starmie and KOs it with a Solarbeam. At least he got a good send-off.

This episode shows how Team Rocket contributes to the anime. If they weren't around to steal Jimmy's Pokemon, he would have probably given up on Pokemon entirely and probably ended up living his life on that island. :)

EDIT: I'm a Rainbowtrainer now! Yippee! ;182;

Cartoonami
3rd August 2006, 2:48 AM
So here is the season 7 finale, the show that was animated and came back with a thousand mistakes on it.
i.e. the characters are off-model through the ep.

uber gon
24th February 2008, 11:06 PM
I find it weird that someone would trade a shiny for a notmal pokémon, even if it was a Magikarp.

Pokefan 2000
4th December 2008, 10:40 AM
the only thing i didn't like about this episode is the fact it reminded me why i hate Misty sisters their so stupid!!!! gym badges mean a lot to the trainers who visit the gyms and yet the give them all out for meaningless tasks like cleaning or for free somehow i think Misty arrival kept the leauge from shutting the gym down to their sisters stupidity.

Tadashi
10th December 2008, 8:30 PM
The CotD... what was his name? Jimmy? Him. I liked him ^^ He had a likeable personality. We saw some of his travels, the personalities of his Pokémon, and even the Cascade badge! Gotta love those old-school Kanto moments.

I also loved the double battle between Ash & Brock ^_^ Too bad we didn't see it play out more... there are so few interesting Brock battles, and it's always fun seeing him & Ash battle.

Great episode. I really liked it ^_^

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 2:03 AM
A good episode based on the 3 mid evolutions of Kanto. I quite enjoyed myself.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 1:30 PM
hm i saw better episodes but it's still good enough i think.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 2:59 AM
It was a good episode...it was worth watching...only cuz Wartortle was in it ^_^;

Ash-kid
8th December 2009, 5:46 PM
I didn't love the animation of this episode, it wasn't so good...
But i loved the battle between Ash and Brock, how bad it isn't over....

Willow's Tara
10th May 2010, 8:25 AM
Wasn't too bad, I would have liked to see all three starters evolving, that would have been very interesting to see.
I wouldn't trade a Shiny Magikarp myself, but don't forget in the anime they don't always care about shiny, and I can see the need to get Charlemeon for it.

KGB13
15th August 2010, 9:50 AM
This was probably the most terribly animated episode of the whole Hoenn saga, there were so many mistakes. When all three starters were trapped by TR in those balls, I thought all 3 were going to evolve, but it was cool and understandable that only Wartortle did since it was Jimmy's oldest.

Overall, the animation made it hard to watch this one, but it was OK.

Antiyonder
14th November 2010, 9:21 PM
To be honest I would hang onto Shiny myself, but even then, if something really hard to come by was offered I'd probably accept the trade (I know I'd trade a Shiny Magikarp in for a Spiritomb).

Pretty good, Blastoise! *drools* XD But Mudkip got time and battled! ZOMG! Also its pretty good, Lombre kicked as* and Shiny Magikarp apprence was pretty cool.

But not too good as the last Challenge episode.

Ash agreed though, once again, making him a hypocrite. I believe he said: 'Yeah...' or something. But I know he's a hypocrite! :p

Jimmy's voice sounded nothing like I thought it would! :o And he didn't know that the shiny Magikarp was rare!! :o:o

And that's not even counting that they ran into Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Tododile, Treekco and Mudkip.

Even in Kanto you don't simply run into wild Starter Pokemon very often (Ash's Squirtle and Charmander weren't wild but either had or had had a trainer), let alone evolved forms of the the starter Pokemon. And you REALLY don't simply find two evolved forms of two different starter Pokemon in the wild together at the same place. The remark was perfectly legit, the whole point being that starter pokemon aren't commonly encountered in the wild.

True, but it doesn't change the fact that they ran into a number of starters.

Lorde
15th November 2010, 11:58 PM
So right after the Lilycove arc, which was pretty good, we get our first filler. Well at least this one was interesting in some parts. I loved that we got to learn more about those referees that you see in most Pokemon battles, so it was refreshing to see the writers expand on that. Anyway, Jimmy was an interesting COTD since he had the middle stages of the Kanto Starters with him. We got a few gems during the explaination of his backstory since the 4kids version of this episode edited the riceball with a sandwich! That was just ridiculous as they've left riceballs intact before. We also got to see a Shiny Magikarp during the same flashback which was neat. That Team Rocket fight at the end was better than most since Jimmy's Wartortle evolved into Blastoise to rescue the other Pokemon. Neat episode, and it looks like the island-hopping begins at the end of this episode too. 6/10.

G50
5th March 2011, 8:23 AM
This episode was ok... It was great to see the middle evolutions of the Kanto starters again, Charmeleon, Wartortle, and Ivysaur. All 3 were barely ever seen in the Anime. It was cool to see Lombre finally used in a battle. It was great to see Brock and Ash battle each other. They called the Black and White thing a Sandwich again -__- . It was cool to see Wartortle evolve, even though I wanted to see all 3 do that.

30/100

pokeaussie37
19th December 2011, 5:54 AM
The last episode I saw of Pokemon for a long time. I remember looking forward to the next week and wondering "why isn't there another episode?!" I didn't see any more of Hoenn after that. One day I'll be going back to it and rewatch the entire thing through once it finishes, whenever that will be.

I loved how this season ended with an obvious sign of good things to come.

Vernikova
25th July 2012, 9:13 PM
Eh, it was a boring episode. The characters weren't that interesting and the animation was bad. The idea of focusing on how to become a judge was pretty cool but it sucks that they didn't focus on it all that much.

7threst
5th October 2012, 5:50 PM
The last episode of Advanced Challenge and it was a pretty good one (even thought it is a filler episode) I liked how they tackled the whole judge aspect of Pokémon battling and hearing Jimmy's back story which is filled with luck and coincidence.

Painkiller2001
8th November 2014, 2:57 AM
It was neat to see an episode that shows how to become a battle referee.
I was kind of hoping Charmeleon and Ivysaur were going to evolve along with Wartortle.