PDA

View Full Version : A Family That Battles Together, Stays Together! (005)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:37 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S4.jpgA Family That Battles Together, Stays Together

Returning Home after his Journey through Johto, Brock discovers that things at the gym have changed. His mother is trying to turn it into a Water Gym and its up to Brock to stop it with his Rock Pokémon. Can he do this?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/004.shtml)

Discuss

Shiny May
25th October 2004, 9:00 PM
I thought this was also a good special. Nice how Flint let Misuho get away with the fact that she turned a rock gym into a water gym. The battle between Flint and Misuho was also very easy for Misuho to win because Flint didn't want to loose from her and she knew that !!
Good to see that Brock battled her and saved the gym and let the gym in the hands of his little brother Jiroo. Too bad he gave away his pokemon but they are some good pokemon for Jiroo to defend the gym!

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 9:18 PM
I had this episode but only watched the start (can't remember why...).
I never will understand why he gave Jiroo his Crobat because it's a Rock type Gym.

Crystal Latios
25th October 2004, 10:23 PM
Hmmm.... I still can`t belive, that girl is Brock`s Mother. She looks pretty young.
Also, she is cool. I mean, she is not so mature like a Lady only very...hmm.... you know, girlish :p

Brock had a nice fight with her. I liked it^^

Shiny May
26th October 2004, 8:56 AM
I never really understood it but is Misuho Brock's actual mother ?! Because he was kinda shocked when he saw her in the living room.

And why Brock gave Crobat to Jiroo ? I don't know exactly, probably just to defend it and to use it when necessary.

Gigi
26th October 2004, 9:23 AM
I never really understood it but is Misuho Brock's actual mother ?! Because he was kinda shocked when he saw her in the living room.

Heck, Id be shocked if I saw some stranger in my living room too. :P

Cute episode. Misuho is just full of energy, isn't she? n.n() Heehee.

Sharpshooter
26th October 2004, 9:27 AM
I have this episode availible on download, but because the quality's so good, my PC's too slow to run it properly, it seems to take like 2 minutes to play the first freakin 20 seconds of it.

Murgatroyd
26th October 2004, 6:02 PM
Yes, she is his actual mother.

No, Jirou is not in charge of the gym (yet).

zonic the hedgehog
28th October 2004, 4:55 AM
Yes, she is his actual mother.

But i thought his real mother died, and she was just a stepmother...

Murgatroyd
28th October 2004, 5:06 AM
Dub change. In the English episode, they said she died. However, the corresponding line in the original Japanese says that she left home.

ChaosMage
22nd November 2004, 9:11 PM
Maybe that's why it wasn't dubbed, would affect the continuity in the dub if Brock's mother came back from the dead

Sharpshooter
24th November 2004, 3:30 PM
Dub change. In the English episode, they said she died. However, the corresponding line in the original Japanese says that she left home.

Why can't they just translate what was said in the original? I know matching the mouth-flaps can be difficult for any writer, but please follow the storyline! Jeez!

Chris
18th December 2004, 9:59 AM
Two things to note with this special.

Is that Romi Paku's voice doing Jirou's voice? o_O I detect a hint of Edward Elric and Ken Ichijouji in his voice.

And anyone who's seen this special notice how SMALL Onix has gotten? Before it used to nearly reach the roof of the gym. Now when it's on the rock, it barely touches the roof. o_o

Ororo Munroe
18th December 2004, 10:04 AM
But i thought his real mother died, and she was just a stepmother.
She's his real mother. What's worse than the dub calling her dead is that I've seen on many sites that she's supposedly Brock's and all his sibling's mom but that they all have different dads. That makes no sense since they all look like Flint. Anybody know what started people thinking Brock and his siblings all had different dads?

carnahan
13th January 2005, 1:12 PM
Where can I download this episode ??

MISTYFAN4EVER8887
29th April 2005, 10:41 PM
I just have to say that this is probably the first time in awhile that the dub title is longer than the original Japanese title. Usually, the Japanese title is much longer. Anyone else notice this?

Blackjack Gabbiani
29th April 2005, 11:34 PM
I wonder if Flint's lie about her dying will ever be called into question. On the surface it makes more sense for him to have said so, simply because it took blame away from her as to why she wasn't there, and he'd want to cover for her...and something tells me that Brock has no idea what he's been saying.

Least if I was writing for the dub, I'd have something in there about that. Odds are better that they just forget Flint even said such a thing.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
13th May 2005, 6:57 PM
Maybe that's why it wasn't dubbed, would affect the continuity in the dub if Brock's mother came back from the dead
nope they've dubbed it

I want to see this!

and the never actually said 'she died' did they? remember Flint lied to Ash when he first arrived in pewter city

and yes this is he only Dub title that is longer than an actual jap title

CyberCubed
13th May 2005, 7:00 PM
Flint said "Brock's mother passed away" in that episode.

I'm willing to bet that 4kids will ignore that line altogether now, they don't seem to care about continuity anymore.

Torkoal Stu
14th May 2005, 9:12 AM
Flint said "Brock's mother passed away" in that episode.

I'm willing to bet that 4kids will ignore that line altogether now, they don't seem to care about continuity anymore.

I know I just saw that it goes

"His good for nothing Farther left the family to become a Pokemon Trainer, the family never heard from him again. And his mother tried to keep it together but sadly she passed away."

So I bet 4kids will muck it up. Like the Seviper thing.

14th May 2005, 9:23 AM
well Flint lied to Ash alot

they'll prob change it to his step mother or summit

Ninetalesuk
27th May 2005, 9:58 PM
well Flint lied to Ash alot

they'll prob change it to his step mother or summit

30% in my opinion that 4Kids will have Brock's 'passed-away' mother as a step-mother or Flint's new girlfriend... Who knows... it's been a long time...

Wouldn't be shocked to learn if 4Kids made a mistake... and saw the episode where it said Brock's mother passed away and say 'Oh crud, another mistake we made...' lol

Heracross
27th May 2005, 10:11 PM
Meh, they'd probably just shrug it off and make something else up to cover for their original blunder. Of course, that would mean that they even remember about that in the first place. Seeing as how they couldn't even remember the dub name they gave Junichi two seasons ago I'm guessing they won't think twice about Takeshi's mother - a character who was only mentioned in passing about seven years ago. :P

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th May 2005, 10:16 PM
Hasn't it already been announced in the summary that she's his mother? So we know they didn't change her to stepmother or anything.

Serebii
27th May 2005, 10:28 PM
Umm, I aint sure about this but i think they said that she died in the Japanese version too so it isn't a Dub error...just tryin to clarify things

Janelle+Ryan
27th May 2005, 10:32 PM
This is so awsome Yes, that is very true Serebii, she did die in the Japanese version.

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th May 2005, 10:33 PM
Um...Serebii, with all due respect, what the HECK were you watching? She's very much alive.

Serebii
27th May 2005, 10:46 PM
I was referring to the statement in "Showdown in Pewter City" that they were guessin how the dub would fix their error. People think it was a dub error

Blackjack Gabbiani
27th May 2005, 11:06 PM
Well, for reasons that I've stated elsewhere I'm not sure I would call it an error, but it's certainly a change from what Flint said in Japanese.

And if you take the English version at face value, it was still a lie. Mizuho is very much alive, no matter what her husband says to random strangers.

Murgatroyd
27th May 2005, 11:28 PM
Umm, I aint sure about this but i think they said that she died in the Japanese version too so it isn't a Dub error...just tryin to clarify things
It most certainly was a dub error. The exact phrase used to describe what happened to Takeshi's mother is iede shite shimatta, meaning "left home".

Serebii
28th May 2005, 9:05 AM
Ah, I guess I was misinformed then. My Mistake

Torkoal Stu
28th May 2005, 9:07 AM
So there are twp possiblitys.

1)4Kids forgot they said that and say she is his realy mother and she comes back.

2)They say shes his step-mother/Flints new girlfriend.

So either way its kinda mucked up becasue of what the've already said.

poke_girl
8th June 2005, 4:32 PM
Looks like they arn't going to explane about his mother suddenly being alive.

"Last time I was here you was.." something about studying signs, lol.. um..

So, will this be alot shorter then the orginial? seeing as I think it's only one part..

WOW, they painted over the Closed sign.. WHY?

Oh.. and now the part where he gave his pokemon to to his brother is gone.. oh well

MTC
8th June 2005, 4:59 PM
Dub names:

Brock's Mother is now Laura
Jiroo is now Forrest (or Forest)

This was nowhere near as bad as The Legend of Thunder, but it was still pretty bad.

EDIT:
Correction Brocks mom is now called LOLAIt was Laura, the second time Flint said it he clearly said "Laura", but I don't want to start an argument about this

PiPikachu
8th June 2005, 5:02 PM
Correction Brocks mom is now called LOLA
and yes Forest is the name of Brocks Brother.

Torkoal Stu
8th June 2005, 5:20 PM
I heard Lola. But heres the bad side:

*Them saying it was Brocks real mother even though the said she'd dies last time.

*It only showed how he losted Onix not Crobat and Geodude.

and some more but it was a nice episode but Brocks Brother Forest is in love with all girls too, lol. But Brock said the lamest line ever

"It looks like your a chip of the old Brock!"

WTF!!!!! That line annoys me :@ But thye mentioned Ash sooo much.

Batdude
8th June 2005, 5:23 PM
Hey, I heard the name Lola too.

So there's absolutely no mention of how Brock magically loses his Geodude and Crobat on the way to Hoenn. Fantastic. And no explanation about the mother either. It's just all happy and normal as if she's always been there.

I laughed when Brock told Flint about Pikachu beating Onix and Flint was like "Wow... How'd he do that?! (Maybe because you helped him, you dingbat...)

It's as if they purposefully leave things like that out to test us...

CyberCubed
8th June 2005, 5:26 PM
Well...

...at least they remembered Flint's name. You never know these days.

8th June 2005, 5:36 PM
Sadly I missed it because I was at my grandparent's

good old sky+ dont fail me now!

Sharpshooter
8th June 2005, 5:46 PM
Oh dear Flint's voice has changed, it's almost as bad as Eugene's now with it being completely toffed up and everything. His old voice back in "Showdown in Pewter City" was definitely better, I hate to complain but it was extremely off-putting.

Asides from that the episode was good, full of silly pranks and good humor. Seeing Brock get upset was funny, since his mom wanted a girly water gym, with girly decorations everywhere, but thankfully Brock won the battle against his mom and restored some pride in the gym.

It appears Forest is as almost as bad as Brock is when it comes to women (they start early then), with him apparantly having a crush on all the girls in his class lmao.

poke_girl
8th June 2005, 6:04 PM
Sadly I missed it because I was at my grandparent's

good old sky+ dont fail me now!
LOL! If it's like my Sky+ You're DOOMED.. it keeps removing Cronicals for me if you set it before midnight the night before it's ment to be on :P

Oh dear Flint's voice has changed, it's almost as bad as Eugene's now with it being completely toffed up and everything. His old voice back in "Showdown in Pewter City" was definitely better, I hate to complain but it was extremely off-putting.

Asides from that the episode was good, full of silly pranks and good humor. Seeing Brock get upset was funny, since his mom wanted a girly water gym, with girly decorations everywhere, but thankfully Brock won the battle against his mom and restored some pride in the gym.

It appears Forest is as almost as bad as Brock is when it comes to women (they start early then), with him apparantly having a crush on all the girls in his class lmao.
with like 300 of dubbed eps between this and last time we saw him, did you SERIOUSLY Expect his voice to be the same?

Sharpshooter
8th June 2005, 7:25 PM
with like 300 of dubbed eps between this and last time we saw him, did you SERIOUSLY Expect his voice to be the same?

Uh yes. I can't see how hard it is to do a little research into that particular episode and pick out the same voice actor. If agreements couldn't be made then that's understandable, but at least try to make him sound similar (the new Nurse Joy voice is alright). But the thing is, I don't think they even bothered checking (in same way they forgot check Eusine's name, and his voice).

I'm not usually one to complain about 4kids but that was a little dissapointing. The rest of the episode was well dubbed though.

Gravy
8th June 2005, 7:32 PM
Manteen? Smeegle? That earns a facefault from me.

Mizuho is hot~

I really loved the voice acting in this ep. I honestly thought I was going to hate Mizuho's voice, but it was actually pulled of pretty well. Unfortunatly, she sounds more motherly than brain-meltingly adorable, but I shouldn't complain I suppose.
Eric Stuart's Flint grated on my nerves though. I prefered the strong, serious version that we last saw in Kanto. Like most of his other roles, I felt he was just going ott at times, trying to make him sound much too deep and gruff. But that was my only problem in terms of voice acting. The rest were flawless.

Mizuho is hot~

Forester: Do you meet a lot of girls?
Brock: Oh yeah, but I put more focus into becoming a pokémon breeder.
Forester:.....just talk about the girls.

Heh, I loved the way that little quote shows how Brock clearly doesn't have his priorities right and that his brother is just as bad as him.

Mizuho is hot~

I'm confused. Why on earth did they cut out Brock handing over Crobat and Geodude to his brother? As well as the scene where we see him tell everyone that he's only taking Forretress with him?
I haven't got a sub of this ep, but I know some lines must have been changed here and there. I'll tell you this much, Mizuho never did no yodling...

Mizuho is hot~

Sharpshooter
8th June 2005, 7:42 PM
For reasons best known to themselves, they edited the bit with Brock throwing out his Geodude and Crobat. So yet again people are going to be left questioning about there where abouts from now on lmao.

The ending music during that scene was taken out as well, and replaced by what is heard during Hoenn nowadays (which I personally don't think is as good). Other than that I think it was well dubbed for the most part.

Torkoal Stu
8th June 2005, 7:44 PM
Golbat. .

Crobat, Brock has a Crobat.

Sharpshooter
8th June 2005, 7:47 PM
Crobat, Brock has a Crobat.

Sorry I meant to say Crobat.

*edits*

poke_girl
8th June 2005, 8:15 PM
Maybe the bit at the end was just umm cut for time? and it'll be on the DVD? >_>; maybe..

Heracross
8th June 2005, 8:44 PM
The ending music during that scene was taken out as well, and replaced by what is heard during Hoenn nowadays (which I personally don't think is as good). Other than that I think it was well dubbed for the most part.
I could have told you that would happen. I don't think we've heard any decent ending music in the dub since about the third season. And on the very few occasions an episode isn't ended with that, it's just some equally disgusting mound of rubbish. :D

Music aside, I'm surprised they even remembered Flint's name. Too bad they get a big fat F for forgetting what he sounded like. :P

poke_girl
8th June 2005, 9:26 PM
Uh yes. I can't see how hard it is to do a little research into that particular episode and pick out the same voice actor. If agreements couldn't be made then that's understandable, but at least try to make him sound similar (the new Nurse Joy voice is alright). But the thing is, I don't think they even bothered checking (in same way they forgot check Eusine's name, and his voice).

I'm not usually one to complain about 4kids but that was a little dissapointing. The rest of the episode was well dubbed though.
uh.. no, it's 4Kids we're talking about :P should never expect so much of them..

Sharpshooter
8th June 2005, 11:34 PM
Man that p*ssed me off. I mean, I'm a regular follower of the dub version so I expect good standards, (which to their credit they do do alot of the time) but this seems to be their worst attempt at dubbing pokémon ever.

Ok so it might be just an ending theme, but I really like it and sounded "right" for that particular moment, this is other one made it sound less dramatic and meh.

I also liked Flint, but his new voice is nothing like his old one and gives him a completely new character altogether, they should at least try to make sound similar, but they probably didn't even know Brock's father ever existed based on that I'm afraid.

Gravy
8th June 2005, 11:45 PM
I also liked Flint, but his new voice is nothing like his old one and gives him a completely new character altogether, they should at least try to make sound similar, but they probably didn't even know Brock's father ever existed based on that I'm afraid.
On the subject of Flint's voice acting, didn't Eric Stuart also do his voice way back in the 5th episode? I'm not entirely sure of it of course, but I really wouldn't be surprised considering his acting skills have been slipping these days :/

CyberCubed
8th June 2005, 11:46 PM
Maybe a different team at 4kids handles the Chronicle series than the normal series?

There are different divisions at 4kids that handle particular shows, and maybe Chronicles was handed over to a different team than the one that usually translates pokemon.

It's a good theory as to why there are some name changes and the like.

Heracross
8th June 2005, 11:55 PM
That could account for some of the changes in voice acting, but it still doesn't excuse them from not doing their research or at least attempting to achieve a sense of continuity. And besides, as Gravy said, I thought Eric Stuart did Flint's original dub voice as well. Oops. XP

poke_girl
9th June 2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry if I p*ssed you off, I'm just saying.. I don't find it all so bad, I just find them quite forgetful.. they don't even do research for their trainers choice it sounds like O_o

Blackjack Gabbiani
9th June 2005, 2:51 AM
Eric Stuart's voice has changed since then. Maybe he couldn't do the voice any more.

Heracross
9th June 2005, 2:57 AM
That's putting it kindly. Really though, even James's new, crappy voice does dound vaguely similar to the one he used back in the first few seasons, so I'm pretty sure Mr. Stewart could have made Flint sound at least somewhat the same. I just don't think he tries as hard/cares as much anymore. Which is a real shame because he used to be a very good voice actor IMO.

Dogasu
9th June 2005, 4:29 AM
So by cutting out the scene where Takeshi gets rid of his pokemon, 4Kids essentially screws up the entire purpose of this episode. Great job guys -_-

From what I'm hearing about this series, I wouldn't be surprised if they got the One Piece team to do the work on these specials instead of the regular dubbing team.

Blackjack Gabbiani
9th June 2005, 7:49 AM
I thought the whole point of the episode was for him to settle his family troubles, not to dump his pokemon off.

Heracross
9th June 2005, 8:13 AM
But that was really more of a side plot. The more important thing is that he left his pokémon with Jiroo and gave him control of the gym. In the whole grand scheme of things, I'd say that's a more important event than solving some family problems.

Blackjack Gabbiani
9th June 2005, 8:18 AM
Eh, not to me. Perhaps that it was done, but it could have been done over computer. He went back to solve the family problem.

IceAngelChris
9th June 2005, 9:57 AM
Hi,....I'm Really needing to know..I was wanting to create a new post about the episode but it's i can't make posts yet...So i must ask one of you to ....

This is my fav. ep. in the entire series and nothing will ever replace it. I can't remember the name of the ep. but i will tell you one thing i Love the most about it. The Ancient Alakazam Versus an Ancient Gengar. I want to someday Catch this Alakazam, this Ancient Pokemon is as just as rare to me as any Latias and others.......
But someone try and post a topic just for the ep. since this was a mind blowing episode.

Heracross
9th June 2005, 10:30 AM
There's already a thread (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=38543) for the discussion of that episode. I suggest you look around next time before randomly posting in whatever thread you happen to be in. >_>

CyberCubed
9th June 2005, 1:18 PM
Maybe 4kids want us to believe that Brock still has his Crobat and Geodude in Hoenn, he just never lets them out of their Pokeballs. ;)

If that was 4kids' intention in cutting that scene that would crack me up.

Here's hoping they don't butcher the scene in the Misty episode where she's drowning, you just know they'll shorten that. :/

MTC
9th June 2005, 4:20 PM
But that was really more of a side plot. The more important thing is that he left his pokémon with Jiroo and gave him control of the gym. In the whole grand scheme of things, I'd say that's a more important event than solving some family problems.In the dub Forrest decided he wanted to go travelling to become a Trainer, and Brock left his parents in charge of the gym, so that plot section was disrupted too.

Chris
9th June 2005, 5:45 PM
IIRC, Takeshi AND Brock say he left them all but Forretress behind at home when he makes his appearance in AG.

Problem is..WHY did they find it necessary to cut it out? I'd say this is about as bad as the Raikou special, except this isn't exactly three episodes long.

And I'm starting to think Dogasu may be onto something about the One Piece group possibly being in charge.

Oh yeah, and IIRC, if Eric Stuart was Flint's original VA, didn't he use a very deep and monotone version of his Seto Kaiba voice? o_O; Cause if so, he could've easily done it again. Then again, I can't be too sure since it's been ages since I saw the dub.

IceAngelChris
9th June 2005, 8:30 PM
Thanks..Sorry about that though....I'm new to the place and this forum is confusing..I'm rather good navigating but this is kinda hard to tell where to post or not.....thank you again.....

Korobooshi Kojiro
9th June 2005, 8:43 PM
Hmmm..........4Kids are actually starting to do better jobs in some aspects of the normal episodes, so I am going with Dogasu's theory. The One Piece team was assigned to this..

Forester? Wasn't that the name of those twins in the Wurmple episode? I thought Jared woulkd be more suited for Jiroo.

No Crobat. Aww!

Murgatroyd
10th June 2005, 8:47 AM
It looks like there's a misconception about the Japanese version I need to correct.

Takeshi did NOT leave Jirou in charge of the Gym. Jirou wants to be Gym Leader eventually, after he's had some time to gain experience as a trainer. Takeshi left his pokemon to help teach Jirou what he needs to know about battling. (After all, he certainly can't count on the current Gym Leader for guidance.)

poke_girl
10th June 2005, 9:08 AM
erm, I've never seen one pice.. so could someone tell me why you think they are the ones put on to this?

Blackjack Gabbiani
10th June 2005, 9:39 AM
I thought Jared woulkd be more suited for Jiroo.

My money was on Jasper, myself. Although on the other hand, they *did* remember that they didn't use any rock puns when they named the kids in the original ep.

Heracross
10th June 2005, 9:48 AM
It looks like there's a misconception about the Japanese version I need to correct.

Takeshi did NOT leave Jirou in charge of the Gym. Jirou wants to be Gym Leader eventually, after he's had some time to gain experience as a trainer. Takeshi left his pokemon to help teach Jirou what he needs to know about battling. (After all, he certainly can't count on the current Gym Leader for guidance.)
Oops, looks like I've contributed to all the pesky misinformation flying around in the web. :s Thanks for clearing that one up.

And poke_girl, I haven't seen One Piece either, but from what I've heard it sounds like a rather mediocre dub, so it fits pretty well with what we've been hearing about these specials.

Jesse GS the II
10th June 2005, 5:21 PM
erm, I've never seen one pice.. so could someone tell me why you think they are the ones put on to this?

Evidently, it's far enough away from the original episodes to make "Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back" look like a minor rewrite. I've heard that they use digital paint edits in almost every episode and the writing is awful.

Korobooshi Kojiro
10th June 2005, 5:30 PM
The only plus probably to One Piece dub is they have kept like almost everybody's original name (Minor edits, like Zorro to Zolo and Gin to Ghin).

BTW, did Mantine and Onix keep their original voices like they always have?

Gravy
10th June 2005, 6:37 PM
BTW, did Mantine and Onix keep their original voices like they always have?
Yeah, they both did, though Mantine's name was constanly mispronounced.

Sharpshooter
10th June 2005, 6:49 PM

Give the dub credit for that then. That was exactly what was interpreted in the the English version. Just a shame he said only Onix would help teach him, as oppose to Crobat and Geodude whose appearances were edited out. Although that might just be a time cut from Toonami itself, DVD comes out in a couple of days, we'll find our answer then.

Gravy
10th June 2005, 6:56 PM
Give the dub credit for that then. That was exactly what was interpreted in the the English version. Just a shame he said only Onix would help teach him, as oppose to Crobat and Geodude whose appearances were edited out. Although that might just be a time cut from Toonami itself, DVD comes out in a couple of days, we'll find our answer then.
I don't think Toonami even bother checking over their shows, considering they let scenes of a nude Gohan slip onto TV, let alone editing them for time cuts. The only occurance of time cuts that come to mind are the eyecatches for the main series and chronicles, and thats pretty much it. Sometimes they'll clip off the end of a show by accident or air a commercial break too early, but I doubt thats for time related reasons.

Though, I'd like to be proven wrong~

El Cool
10th June 2005, 7:14 PM
Just watched it.

"It's a Smeegol."
"Run Frodo run!"

"Go, Man Teen!"
"I'm a woman."

Seriously though, they should've kept the "Here's my Pokemon, I'm just taking Forretress to Hoenn, you have the rest." bit. The less informed fans will be going "Where's Crobat and Geodude?" "Why didn't he leave the others behind if he's leaving for a fresh start?" etc.

Alfonso
13th June 2005, 11:20 PM
...o_o

Wow, Mizoho really IS hot. *_* I mean, she looked cute from the pictures, but you really have to see her in action before you realise how god damn FLAMINGLY HOT AND CUTE she is. *gnaws* I love the way her mouth is like a 'w', like those catgirl pictures you see on the Net. ^___^ Totally adorable. And the way she moves and acts~ *gnaws even more*

Oh, and yeah, rest of the episode was cool, and...

...*_* Mizoho hentai, please. :0

Heracross
13th June 2005, 11:44 PM
I swear the animators made Takeshi's mother so attractive to torment people with the thought that she is indeed Takeshi's mother. I mean yes, on the one hand, she is incredibly frikken cute, but on the other hand... she's his mom, which is a bit disturbing. >.>;

Yuugis Black Magician
14th June 2005, 12:08 AM
IIRC, Takeshi AND Brock say he left them all but Forretress behind at home when he makes his appearance in AG.

Problem is..WHY did they find it necessary to cut it out? I'd say this is about as bad as the Raikou special, except this isn't exactly three episodes long.

And I'm starting to think Dogasu may be onto something about the One Piece group possibly being in charge.

Oh yeah, and IIRC, if Eric Stuart was Flint's original VA, didn't he use a very deep and monotone version of his Seto Kaiba voice? o_O; Cause if so, he could've easily done it again. Then again, I can't be too sure since it's been ages since I saw the dub.

Eric hasn't done a good dub of Kaiba since episode ten. -.-

I tell ya, Eric probaly spends most his time singing in his band, and when he comes to work at 4Kids is probaly too tired and irratated to do a reasonable job.

Gravy
14th June 2005, 12:26 AM
I love the way her mouth is like a 'w', like those catgirl pictures you see on the Net. ^___^ Totally adorable. And the way she moves and acts~ *gnaws even more*
You mean, kinda like this, right? :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/Mizuho_cute.gif

I swear the animators made Takeshi's mother so attractive to torment people with the thought that she is indeed Takeshi's mother. I mean yes, on the one hand, she is incredibly frikken cute, but on the other hand... she's his mom, which is a bit disturbing. >.>;
I dunno, the fact that she's a mom doesn't really phase me at all to be perfectly honest XP Though thinking about it, I rarely tend to see anyone commenting on any of the other mothers in the show, like Delia or Caroline...

Blackjack Gabbiani
14th June 2005, 12:29 AM
You kidding me? There's a ton of comments about Delia!

Alfonso
14th June 2005, 12:49 AM
You mean, kinda like this, right? :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/Mizuho_cute.gif

...o_o

Yes, that's exactly what I mean! *___* She's like an adorable obsessed fangirl. *squishes*

I dunno, the fact that she's a mom doesn't really phase me at all to be perfectly honest XP Though thinking about it, I rarely tend to see anyone commenting on any of the other mothers in the show, like Delia or Caroline...

Doesn't phase me out either. :3

Delia is pretty hot herself, and both she and Mizuho pwn Caroline, who I don't find attractive at all. >_> She's just... too old looking. On the other hand, both Delia and Mizuho look pretty young, and fresh, and... :0

Heracross
14th June 2005, 2:10 AM
Well now that I think of it, I suppose since she's just a fictional character anyway, the fact that she has like... 10 kids doesn't really matter all that much. :P

Dogasu
14th June 2005, 6:04 AM

Well, according in a post on the Bulbagarden forums made by Murgatroyd, "The Legend of Thunder Part 3" had Barton Bishop and Alan Kingsberg listed as doing the adaptation, while the translation was handled by Kaz Sano.

In the One Piece episode that aired this past Saturday night on Toonami, Paul Taylor (who is pretty much the translator 4Kids uses on everything, including the regular Pokemon TV series) was listed as the translator.

So no, 4Kids isn't using the same people. They're just using a bunch of new people who don't know what the heck they're doing.

Evidently, it's far enough away from the original episodes to make "Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back" look like a minor rewrite. I've heard that they use digital paint edits in almost every episode and the writing is awful.

Yes.

The episode that was created from the Bellemere two-parter (episodes 35 and 36 (http://onepieceuncensored.tripod.com/series/onepieces2menu.html)) probably had more edits in it than every episode of Pokemon combined.

Blackjack Gabbiani
14th June 2005, 8:19 AM
So...Dogasu, do you think you could post the known contact information on your site so that more people can voice their opinions directly to 4Kids and get those people fired?

Dogasu
14th June 2005, 2:10 PM
It would probably be better form to have everyone send their e-mails to one of us and then have it forwarded it to them. I have no problems putting a big thing on my site's front page encouraging people to send in their letters or putting some sort of message in all my message board sigs.

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th June 2005, 6:19 PM
BTW Dogasu, not a update for a while on your site. Well, keeping constant updates for 29 days is awesome, so I'm not gonna try to sound like a jerk when I am wondering why their hasn't been a update in a while.

"Barton Bishop and Alan Kingsberg listed as doing the adaptation, while the translation was handled by Kaz Sano."

Who usually does the adaption and translation for Pokemon Advanced Challenge?

Gravy
14th June 2005, 6:45 PM
You kidding me? There's a ton of comments about Delia!
...really? o_o I've personally never seen anything mentioned about Delia outside of her supposed relationship with Oak. Even something along the lines of 'oh, she's pretty cute' seems to be pretty difficult to come across. I guess I'm just not looking in the right places~

Delia is pretty hot herself, and both she and Mizuho pwn Caroline, who I don't find attractive at all. >_> She's just... too old looking. On the other hand, both Delia and Mizuho look pretty young, and fresh, and... :0
I think the main problem with Caroline is the clothing she wears. Compared to the other two characters, her clothes have a pretty drab color scheme, and they're really not much to look at either. And there's her hair too I guess...

Dogasu, will you be making any new sections on your site regarding the chronicles series, and the edits that have been involved? I'm sure you are probably intending to do so when you have enough time on your hands, I was just curious as all~

Korobooshi Kojiro
14th June 2005, 7:58 PM
Especially considering you will have a pretty interesting Edit List too, Dogasu.

BTW, I heard Brock said this is the third time he as been back to Pewter.....

Hmmm, anyone wanna bet the dubbers totally forgot that this was the "family crisis" Brock went to solve at the end of Johto.

Dogasu
15th June 2005, 12:12 AM
Who usually does the adaption and translation for Pokemon Advanced Challenge?

Adaptation by: Kathy Borland and Carter Cathcart
Translations by: Paul Taylor

That Scary Clefairy
15th June 2005, 12:17 AM
Dogasu, will you be making any new sections on your site regarding the chronicles series, and the edits that have been involved? I'm sure you are probably intending to do so when you have enough time on your hands, I was just curious as all~

I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure Murg or one of the translators on the forum give a list of the edits in this forum.

Dogasu
15th June 2005, 5:45 AM
I do plan to write up a full comparison of the special, hopefully sometime within the next week or so.

pokeee
15th June 2005, 11:11 AM
Was there English names for Brocks mother and Brother?????

Alfonso
15th June 2005, 12:34 PM
Was there English names for Brocks mother and Brother?????

You want to know?????

...>_>

Lola and Forest.

Blackjack Gabbiani
20th June 2005, 12:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/BlackjackGabbiani/whateverlolawantsicon.png

You consider...it's quite fitting.

vaporeon89
31st December 2005, 1:11 PM
I found a mistaken in this ep:

Onix's Dig affacted Lola's Mantine, but it can't affect.
But there's lots of mistakemns like this one in the anime...

;134;89

Gravy
31st December 2005, 1:17 PM
I found a mistaken in this ep:

Onix's Dig affacted Lola's Mantine, but it can't affect.
But there's lots of mistakemns like this one in the anime...

Onix is a freakin' 30 foot roaring rock monster. Of course its going to be able to hit a flying pokémon if its using dig in an enclosed area. Its hardly a mistake, its just them being a little more realistic about things. It would have looked stupid if it didn't hit...

Poké_Master
6th January 2006, 6:15 PM
Onix is a freakin' 30 foot roaring rock monster. Of course its going to be able to hit a flying pokémon if its using dig in an enclosed area. Its hardly a mistake, its just them being a little more realistic about things. It would have looked stupid if it didn't hit...
You have a point. It would've looked stupid if it hadn't hit

Gym Leader Jasmine
18th January 2006, 7:22 PM
They Show brock giving his pokemon in episode picture 9-10 on it serebii Brock Saving pewer gym

http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/houen/S4ps10.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/anime/pictures/houen/S4ps10.shtml

just to clear thing up brock want to be a breeder not a gym leader and give the privilege to jiroo.

umbreon trainer 7
21st February 2006, 8:43 AM
that pic of my got my heart pumping

el buitron
1st March 2006, 6:33 PM
man i just saw that episodie and a lot confused! the brock mother not was die? what happen there? i lot confused!!!

MaskedManAbsolkid
1st March 2006, 6:44 PM
Basically, Brock's mother wasn't dead, and she returned and made the gym a water-type one. brock turned it back into a rock type gym, gave all his pokemon bar Forretress to forrest (Jiroo) and left for Hoenn.

Staryu
25th June 2006, 12:59 AM
Those decorations NEED to go xD..at least it's still a rock gym -- I like water better but that was just too much.

How did his mom catch all those pokemon?

The Great Butler
25th June 2006, 1:02 AM
And you thought Marina was annoying? Lola made me want to rip my eardrums out. I cheered when Brock put her in her place.

halloweenghost
25th June 2006, 1:09 AM
Was glad to finally see these episodes. Brock was awesome in this... was good to see his siblings. I liked the youngest twins.. thought they were funny :)

CopyCat
25th June 2006, 1:56 AM
Um, when I watched it, it was in Spanish ><. I couldn't understand a word of what was going on...

halloweenghost
25th June 2006, 2:09 AM
Um, when I watched it, it was in Spanish ><. I couldn't understand a word of what was going on...

Really? Where are you that you saw this on?

CopyCat
25th June 2006, 2:13 AM
Really? Where are you that you saw this on?

I live in South Carolina, and I know it wasn't my TV, because the show before it was in English, but both Chronicles episodes were in Spanish...

halloweenghost
25th June 2006, 2:19 AM
I live in South Carolina, and I know it wasn't my TV, because the show before it was in English, but both Chronicles episodes were in Spanish...

Very odd indeed hmmmmmmm

alyssa
25th June 2006, 2:28 AM
my fava part when brock battle his mother for the gym

Medea
25th June 2006, 3:53 AM
Well, I know that Cerulean Blues is on now and I'm not watching it. I've already seen it a couple of months ago. But I digress...

After all of the Tracey episodes and Misty episodes and the Raikou special, this was next on my list. Mostly, I just wanted to see what Brock's mom sounded like. And now, well, her voice is okay (not the greatest but not bad). Flint...I liked his voice from the 5th episode and that's that. And Forrest, a very cute kid (Hmm, I sense a Miroku in the works).

◘Ins0mnIac◘
25th June 2006, 4:58 AM
Quite possibly the funniest unintentional line I have ever heard in the Pokemon series happened in this episode. "The way you handled that Poliwag is what made me fall in love with you." I could NOT stop laughing when he said that!

Post #700!

Judai Yuki
26th June 2006, 5:45 AM
Forrest mind as well be Mirax(Miroku and Max hybrid).

wobbanut
26th June 2006, 11:12 PM
Well, apart from the whole Brock's mom issue, I did like this special. At least it won't look so out of place when I do my annual runthrough of Pokemon from the beginning and run it after "A Ruin with a View". I'm glad they helped keep continuity by saying Brock was just coming from parting with Ash, and was heading to Hoenn at the end. My two cents:

-- Brock was a bit of a jerk throughout the special, but he was also pretty funny. I could understand that he wanted to keep the gym as it traditionally was, though he could have come off less forceful.
-- Flint and Lola = cuteness. :D
-- Best line: "Who's your daddy?" LOL
-- I really liked the Brock/Forrest scenes. At least Brock is a great big brother to his siblings. I'm a little disturbed that Brock promised to teach him about girls next time, though. :p LOL
-- At least by running this special so late in the U.S., it'll be nice to fall back on when we see the return to Pewter Gym episode in a year.
-- Why weren't Geodude and Crobat mentioned? :(

Overall, 7/10.

Judai Yuki
27th June 2006, 1:53 AM
"Who's your daddy?"Uhh you're her husband.Lola is a bit crazy.

Geodude
27th June 2006, 2:52 AM
How did his mom catch all those pokemon?
You're forgetting that she was away from the family for quite a long time. A few years, disturbing as that is. She had loads of time to build a team, so why is this even a question?

Mewtwo Champ150
27th June 2006, 3:08 AM
I knew it wasn't going to stay a water type gym because I don't think that two gyms of the same type in the same region is alloud or is it?

jolteonjak
27th June 2006, 3:40 PM
Is it just me, or did Brock's mother look freakishly weird?

TwilightFacade
9th July 2006, 1:20 AM
-Not a bad episode, but I must ask why they cut out Geodude, Crobat, and Forretress. That was the worst aspect of this episode.
-I don't know why Brock wouldn't compromise with Lola. What would be the big deal with having two types in the gym. He seemed to yell at his mom a lot in this episode. :P
-"Man-Teen" and "Smea-Gull"!!?? Geez, those dubbers really need to pronounce the Pokemon names right.

Anyways I'll give this episode a 6.5/10....I had to take a few points off for the edits.

Kamex
9th July 2006, 1:44 AM
Why weren't Geodude and Crobat mentioned? :(
Because the scene where Brock leaves them with Forrest was cut out for the dub.

Anyway, this special was definitely one of the ones I was looking forward to the most.

So when it started, seeing the same rock Ash stood on years back that Flint was selling, and seeing that same scenery looking down on Pewter City was not only a nice way to kick off the special, but it was also a pretty nostalgic trip through memory lane.

About the whole 4Kids screw up. Apparently they decided to ignore what they said about Lola dying early on in the series and just pretend it wasn't a big deal. Personally, I don't see why they couldn't just 'dub over it'. I mean, all they really need to do is make it seem like Flint was simply wrong about Lola dying, like its surprising she's still around. But no, instead they just hope everybody forgot about it. >_>

Flint's voice. It changed. It's Eric Stuart this time around I'm pretty sure, and it was probably Eric Stuart last time, too. But last time Flint had a low, sort of shady voice... almost like he was always whispering or something. Now its just a generic, deep, gruff guy voice. Although the voice is still somewhat similar, so at least I still have that feeling that he's the same person I saw in episode 5.

I can tell 4Kids gave Lola a very 'Mom' sounding voice to make the distinction that she IS a mom, rather than a young girl that Brock could easily be attracted to (which is pretty much what she looks like). Lola looks very little like her children, but I can see a few similarities, I think...

I like the whole idea of expanding on Brock's family with this special. It's too bad 4Kids didn't name all the children (at least I don't think they did), but that's okay. More specifically, though, I like how they picked the second oldest child in the family and expanded more on him. By changing his hair a little and giving him a different voice (a common yet satisfactory voice, BTW), and by giving him a unique personality and dreams, they made him more interesting, and they made him feel more like a different person than Brock.

Brock and Forrest's talks were nice, too. Actually, it would have been interesting for Forrest to go on his own badge-collecting adventure, but I guess some of Brock's other siblings can do that, if Forrest continues heading the gym. Even though Forrest's attraction to girls was added into the episode, I do admit it made him more interesting, or at least a little funnier. An example is in this quote:

"Talk about the girls!"

And it's cool to see, as the special ends, Brock in his new clothes, ready to move on to his Hoenn adventures with Ash.

Last thing I'll mention is, it's always nice to see my favorite Pokemon, Blastoise!

Anyway, this special was, in fact, very special to me. 9/10!

GoggleHead
16th September 2006, 4:58 AM
Man, Flint's Girlfriend was so annoying. I don't know why 4Kids kept having Brock say "Mom", his Mom's dead, why would he call anyone else that? Also, why would he call her Mom if he just met her. Brock's little Brother was cool though. He seems to be pretty good 'cause he helped Brock's Onix evolve to Steelix without the use of Metal Coat. Just a small joke. Anyways, I suppose this was an Okay Episode.

Locker
26th October 2006, 3:34 AM
is Brock mixed?

STJ
26th October 2006, 4:32 AM
Man, Flint's Girlfriend was so annoying. I don't know why 4Kids kept having Brock say "Mom", his Mom's dead, why would he call anyone else that? Also, why would he call her Mom if he just met her. Brock's little Brother was cool though. He seems to be pretty good 'cause he helped Brock's Onix evolve to Steelix without the use of Metal Coat. Just a small joke. Anyways, I suppose this was an Okay Episode.

His mother isin't dead, that was a changed in the dub, it seems as though the dubbers didn't consider the possibility that the animators would actually show his mother in the flesh

But they did.. and it appears the dubber hoped that the audience forgot their change

Francesc
27th October 2006, 1:35 PM
Nice episode. It was nice to see Pewter Gym again. Brock's mom impressed me. How did she caught all those cool pokes?. She must be better that Ash, then ;). I give it a 7.5/10. A little more action would have been good too.

Battra
14th November 2006, 11:53 PM
Very nice episode it's nice to see Brock's entire family, I thin Brock get all his energy for chasing girls from his mothers side. Also it's interesting to note thatt all of Brock's brothers and sisters have the Squinty eyes thing like Brock and his father none of them have the open eyes like their mother.

Umbreon_moon
18th November 2006, 1:44 AM
Isn't Brock's mom supposed to be like, dead?

d_dan_n
7th April 2008, 6:09 PM
This episode was good as you got to learn more about brock

pokeiscool
14th April 2008, 11:27 PM
where can i watch this episode?

pokeiscool
14th April 2008, 11:28 PM
o and how do do you higher your poke rank in these fourms? please help i am new

Dragonfire117
25th April 2008, 4:04 PM
Oh man, I love this episode, especially Brocks brother Forrest, he's awesome...The person I REAAALLY Hate is Lola, I think she's annoying. Does anyone else think Brock's brother Salvador (or as I call him, Bobby.) is played by Scott McCord?

aquajet16
2nd May 2008, 2:47 AM
The really strange part about this episode is Brock's mom. Is she a zombie or anything? because if I am right I presume that she is already dead as said by Flint?

It was nice though, making Pewter a water gym.

Dragonfire117
2nd May 2008, 1:53 PM
The really strange part about this episode is Brock's mom. Is she a zombie or anything? because if I am right I presume that she is already dead as said by Flint?

It was nice though, making Pewter a water gym.

Okay, first of all, it was a dub error, as a lot of people said. Pewter City + Water gym = Not a good pair. Sorry if it sounds mean.

-Not a bad episode, but I must ask why they cut out Geodude, Crobat, and Forretress. That was the worst aspect of this episode.
-I don't know why Brock wouldn't compromise with Lola. What would be the big deal with having two types in the gym. He seemed to yell at his mom a lot in this episode. :P
-"Man-Teen" and "Smea-Gull"!!?? Geez, those dubbers really need to pronounce the Pokemon names right.

Anyways I'll give this episode a 6.5/10....I had to take a few points off for the edits.

I think they might've done THAT on purpose.

HikariTajiri
1st June 2008, 2:32 PM
Nice ep. I liked how you got to learn more about Brock's past. Also, this is the ep where he gets the jacket he looks best in, in my opinion. Forrest is, to me, a very likeable character. Almost like a younger Kenta in some ways. The dub edits were annoying, though.

Blue Snover
9th October 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm glad that Brock won, because having Pewter gym as a water gym would just be pointless, since there is already the Cerulean gym.

Also the decorations were stupid, it made the gym look like a joke.

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 7:07 PM
I loved this episode. I definitely agree with Brock, why on earth would we want two Water-type gyms one of which was half-Rock-type! Pok&#233;mon Chronicles were great, I'd love to see a newer series.

Wowlock
28th March 2009, 12:01 AM
One of my favorite Episodes. Brock's angry type is cracks me up. And the reactions of Flint and Brock is perfect . I see clearly now where is Brock's easy-going personality came from. Flint is just alike Brock ( not for the all womans but only his wife , well thats cool ) but not as skilled as Brock when it comes to Gym leadership.

Rock-Water Gym ? come on , that gym will be crushed by a Gyrados even if something like that happend. I understand Lola but she must accept a Gym how is it like. And Forrest will become much skilled Gym Leader then his father ( by looking his reactions :D )

Anyway that episode answers a lot of questions about Brock ( especially why he follow Ash in hoenn ) Onix's leave is a little sad but it evolve in there and thats a good thing.Maybe they can do something like that when how Brock decide to go Sinnoh (is it a family thing again or just for the Breeder thing ? )

Hibachi
17th August 2009, 6:59 PM
I thought this was a good episode. I was extremely disappointed to see what Brock's mother, Lola, did to the Pewter City Gym. I thought it was a horrible idea to turn it into a water type gym since there is already one in Cerulean City. I really liked how Brock talked to Forrest about overcoming weaknesses by describing his battle with Ash. I thought Brock battled fantasticly against his mother in order to reclaim the gym as rock type. It is sad that Brock decided to leave his Onix with Forrest, but I know Forrest will make a great gym leader someday. I also like that Brock recieved new clothes and is now heading to Hoenn to rejoin Ash.

STICKTOPIA
19th September 2009, 6:01 PM
Brock DID NOT like what she did to the gym. He really showed her lol.

Ash-kid
22nd December 2009, 11:35 AM
Great ep. my favorite chronicle.

Brock used Ash's strategy vs his mother. Onix was amazing vs the water type poke

9/10

NES
25th February 2010, 9:38 AM
I like this episode because for once Brock is obligated to be the star, and he gets the job done when he is not just in the background supporting his friends! Has a personality.

It was a terrible idea to turn the Pewter gym in a water gym, why did she do that! I mean the nearby city of Cerulean has a water gym as well, why she would want another so close?

Her mother has a good variety of water pokemon though, the whole situation made Brock really mad!

Oh Flint used earthquake! Maybe he stands a chance? Oh no wait, he is still useless :/ poor Golem.

Brock was great, he overcome all the disadvantages of fighting Mantine with Onix in that place.

Willow's Tara
25th June 2010, 7:05 AM
Nice Brock episode, and nice to see what he does between these regions when he leaves Ash. I am glad it stayed a rock gym instead of water considering Misty has one herself. Good episode, Onix is quite strong and can jump into the water to dig.

G50
1st March 2011, 4:16 AM
This episode is very funny! I'm glad Brock showed her, and won the battle against his mom. Man the gym looks ugly now... Forrest is definitely going to become a great trainer. It was funny to see Golem being forced into the water because of Surf, forcing a rescue from Blastoise.

50/100

AquaMilotic
8th January 2012, 4:07 PM
This was really funny! I prefer Water types over Rock types and I like Lola's Pokemon (I really like Mantine), but still great that Brock defeated his mother, I think the Pewter Gym has to be a Rock gym, and there's already a Water gym in Kanto (Cerulean City). 10/10.

ForgottenPearl
23rd March 2012, 4:03 PM
Wow, this was one of my favorite episodes ever. Brock's mom was pretty funny, especially when she and the dad got all lovey-dovey. XD Also, I loved the line, "Sounds like you're a chip off the ol' Brock." Punny, and I'm glad to see Brock's brother is a lot like him. Awesome episode overall.

7threst
22nd September 2012, 6:16 PM
This episode was really hilarious in some ways. I liked the battle with Flint versus Lola and poor Golem. I also loved the how shocked Brock was finding out what happened with the Gym and Forrest was hilarious too " Talk about the girls!" That made my day. The battle between Lola and Brock was even better and I liked how we saw the last battle with Onix before Brock left for Hoenn. Although, I didn't like how 4KIDS decided to cut the last part with leaving his Pokémon at the Pewter City Gym.

Mr. Spock
28th May 2013, 5:01 AM
What I thought about after this episode was "why couldn't they have a gym that handled 2 types?" Granted Kanto already has a water gym, but still. And I loved the fact that all of brock's siblings had the same closed eyes that he does.

PokemontrainerY
25th October 2013, 5:05 PM
Geez, I was surprised to see what Brock's mother, Lola, did to the Pewter City Gym.....she turned it into a Water-type Gym from a Rock-type Gym! Since there's already a water-type in Cerulean City, it's a stupid idea to turn the Pewter City gym into a water- type Gym. There's no need for another water-type Gym in Kanto.

The battle between Brock and Lola was good, I liked how he won the battle by beating her water Pokémon and reclaimed the Pewter Gym as a rock-type gym again.
Brock's Pokémon did great in this special, too bad Brock decided to leave his Onix with Forrest at the end of the spacial.

Overall, this was a good spacial, I liked seeing Brock and his family again. It's good see Brock receving new cloths before heading to Hoenn.

Kutie Pie
20th September 2014, 2:18 AM
After all this time, I have decided to watch Chronicles. Similar to the Kanto episode discussions, I feel like putting down my thoughts as I watch the series, helps that for the most part, it's the first time I've watched the episodes as I never had cable.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I might as well leave a couple of sentences regarding this. Like every other '90s kid out there, I believed Brock's mom was dead. So imagine my surprise and confusion when I learned about this back in 2006, and had no idea what had happened. I won't lie in that I was a bit of a gullible kid, so I had never given 4KIDS' edits and dub changes the benefit of a doubt until I was in high school and used the Internet more. I don't think I can truly blame 4KIDS for saying Brock's mother was dead as I honestly doubt anyone knew Brock's family was going to make a return. So it caused a bit of a snarl in the dub—I have no qualms about it now that I know the truth. What can you do?

Honestly, I'm glad I got to see more of Brock's family. The last time I remember ever seeing them (chronologically) was back in episode five of the original series, though I think they were mentioned very briefly in an Advanced Generation episode. I think it's charming to see all of Brock's siblings together and just how unique they are. We don't spend enough time with them to learn about them as characters, but at a glance, you know they have their own personalities, and I would love to see that more. I guess this desire stems from the fact I come from a large family myself, and I am the oldest of six children, though I don't relate to Brock whatsoever outside of that. Forrest is really the only one of the siblings with whom we get to know a little bit more of, and from what I've gathered, he looks up to Brock a lot, and admires the role of a gym leader. I think he was one of the few speaking roles Brock's siblings had in the original series when they crowded around Ash to stop him from ordering the final blow on Onix. I think Brock allowing Forrest to train Onix in his place for a while was the best choice, almost like he was passing the torch. And considering that now Brock has decided to become a doctor instead of a breeder now like he had wanted, it has a more deeper meaning than before.

Then again, I could just be looking too deep into it, seeing as this is one of the few times we actually see some character development with Brock.

I'm a bit curious if Brock can name everyone off in the same manner as Stephen Colbert, though.

It's nice to see more of Flint. He hasn't really changed since episode five, but we got a bit more of a personality from him since Lola is there with him. He comes off as a henpecked husband at times, as he was unable to convince his wife to not change the Pewter gym, and was willing to compromise with her for a dual-type gym—which I have to wonder if they really can do that. You would think Lola would know there's already a Water-type gym in the next city, so she would be unable to change the gym as such. And even so, I think they have to take it up to the League when they make changes. Jasmine is the only gym leader I know of who's known to have changed her gym, though hers made more sense, as she had a Pokémon who became a Steel-type and was at least not using a type someone else was authorized for. So even if Lola had gotten her way, I don't think she would've kept it for very long. And given her personality, I don't think she would have opposed of the rejection.

Speaking of Lola, I was a bit surprised at how much I was neutral towards her, while also coming to warm up to her. Yes, she may have left her family to her eldest's care to pursue an interest she felt like pursuing at the moment, probably knowing full-well her husband was gone on his journey, but I think she cares about her family. Maybe not to the point where she's doting on a child or two, or having a family meeting to get her children's opinions, but I don't think she's a dead-beat mother in the slightest. She comes off as a bit eccentric, always willing to do new things. And that's fine, though I'm a bit surprised she was able to find new hobbies all the time when she has a big family. Especially since there's a pair of twins, and they happen to be the youngest, so I imagine they're the more rowdy of the children. Even so, I can see why it is she and Flint are still together after all that's happened. I guess it's no surprise where Brock's interest in women comes from, it doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurrence for Flint and Lola to be lovey-dovey around each other. I mean, they had ten children together, for heaven's sake, and the twins appear to be toddlers. Though I'm actually a bit amused at how Lola looks really good for someone who's had nine pregnancies.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b633/lilbird92/Lola_zpse3463549.png
Delia wishes she could look this good.

Outside of the flirting, the battles got the most giggles out of me, if only because the interactions between Lola and both Flint and Brock were amusing. They're good strategic battles, albeit short, but I think it's great to see just how the battles seem to straddle the line between “competitively” and “just for fun”, given as it's between family members. It's not often we get a Pokémon battle between two family members, though considering this was for the future of the gym, it's a bit understandable. It would've been easier and more logical to have a family meeting, but I guess in the Pokémon world, most disputes are resolved over a Pokémon battle if the both of them are trainers. I think my favorite scene in this special was watching Golem struggling to balance on a small piece of protruding rock, it adds to the silliness of the scene. Meanwhile, I think Brock and Lola's battle is the more clever. Which was the point, after all, as Brock wanted to show that regardless of type disadvantages, a master knows how to overcome all obstacles in their path. Having Onix use Dig to drain the water from the field is smart, and since Mantine is a dual type, in a way, draining the water gave a better balance, even if the odds are skewed slightly in favor of the one Pokémon than the other. There really was no way Onix would've survived in that particular water field, after all, and it wasn't against the rules to change the playing field.

So overall, I actually liked this episode for what it was. Even though it shows what Brock did before he left for Hoenn, the heart of it dealt with his family, even if the majority of it dealt with a dispute over the gym and Brock was more irritated toward his parents than not. (Though can you really blame him?) It's a breath of fresh air when it comes to Pokémon episodes, as it's really not often these kinds of episodes come around. It's welcoming to take a peek at Brock's home life for twenty minutes without Ash and the others, and I wish there were more episodes like that. Heck, I wouldn't even mind an entire episode revolving around Ash's own home life without having to deal with Team Rocket, Pokémon training, and talking about going on another journey. Then again, I love it when characters spend some time with their families, as it gives more of an insight with the characters to see them in a more native, comfortable environment. But though I do like the idea of Pokémon Chronicles, it looks like episodes like this are very few to begin with, so I might as well take what I can get.