PDA

View Full Version : We're No Angels! (007)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:41 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S6.jpgWe're No Angels!

After being Blasted off by Ash & Co. Team Rocket land near a village that is under attack. Asked to help they decide to try and stop the attacks. Will they finally succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/006.shtml)

Discuss

Heracross
10th June 2005, 1:08 AM
Well, this was an interesting special. It's always nice to see the Rocket-dan have a major role, especially as the good guys, and Brown-hakase was a unique character who turned out to be a nice guy. The interaction between Kojirou and Rose was nice too, I thought it was sweet how she obviously liked him a lot and thought he was a hero.

Really the only thing I didn't like about this episode was that the animation on Musashi-tachi was off at parts. It wasn't bad really... it just looked kinda strange. I guess they were using different animation teams for some of the Housous, which makes sense.

poke_girl
22nd June 2005, 5:53 PM
so, who just saw it?
I think it was pretty good ^-^; but Then I have never seen the orginial one..

Batdude
22nd June 2005, 5:58 PM
I just saw it. In my opinion, there was too much talking and not enough Arbok and Weezing. My last chance to see them, and they star for 30 seconds.

Pretty quirky storyline aswell. A sort of 'Galaxy Quest' thing, with the whole 'You're the heroes from the tapes!' bit.

That Prof. Brown was certainly a very masculine chap...

I thought it was a good episode in general, and it certainly tied in nicely with them hooking up with the twerps again. At least now we know that they actually end up somewhere when they blast off.

*sits down, reads paper, waits for dub-haters to arrive*

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 6:20 PM
This dub hater has already arrived. :D Though going by what you guys have said there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the dub... yet. I'll just wait to hear from people who have seen both versions so they can point out what got messed up. Then the bˇtching shall begin. ^^

Batdude
22nd June 2005, 6:34 PM
Yay! I was sick of waiting...

Funny, the voice for the guy who rung the bell at the start was the same guy that did Eugene. He's the voice of Yugi, yeah? They must have recruited him to do all the Chronicles episodes or something.

Unrelated question: The Taillow that Ash captured was a member of the group that attacked the village, yeah? So when the Rockets show up hanging on the branches, they leave Arbok and Weezing shortly after that?

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 6:44 PM
Yeah, the episode where Satoshi captures Subame was AG 04, and the episode where Musashi and Kojirou release Arbok and Matadogasu is AG 06. This Housou takes place right after AG 04, so there's only one episode before the big event. :s

Batdude
22nd June 2005, 6:50 PM
I was actually surprised Wobbuffet only popped up at the very end. But it wouldn't really fit the whole superhero thing if he was there like a buffoon. Cute, but slightly unprofessional. Like Team Rocket in general!

'Team Righteous' was a very clever name, eh? Matching up the 'R's and such.

I've always thought Arbok and Weezing never got their due credit. When they tackled that massive robot down, I doubt the humans made much difference.

Remember when Ash was battling with Meowth, Arbok and Weezing? What did Team Rocket ever do with those notes they took down, eh...? Sweet shag all, it would seem.

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 7:04 PM
Though a bit corny, Team Righteous actually makes more sense than the original. I believe they were mistaken for Sketto-dan or something like that, and the R on their uniforms is mistaken for a SK symbol, which I always thought was rather odd. >.>

I suppose it would make more sense if I knew what 'sketto' (or whatever it was) means since I'm guessing it has some sort of extra meaning.

Batdude
22nd June 2005, 7:07 PM
So, for once, the Dub makes slightly more sense than the original...?

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 7:15 PM
I suppose, but as I said, I'm sure the original would make a lot more sense if I knew what 'sketto' meant. Still though, at least righteous does begin with an R. >.>

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
22nd June 2005, 8:14 PM
Man compared to other chronicles ep this sticks!

I mean Prof.Brown wanting to be freinds with the villagars and not wanting to kill em all put one word in my head 'Baby'ish'

poke_girl
22nd June 2005, 9:52 PM
Man compared to other chronicles ep this sticks!

I mean Prof.Brown wanting to be freinds with the villagars and not wanting to kill em all put one word in my head 'Baby'ish'
Not everyone wants to kill people.... :/
Was it like that in the JP version?

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 9:57 PM
Yes, being a nice person and not wanting to kill people is certainly babyish. Damn those annoying nice people and their good intentions. >:/

poke_girl
22nd June 2005, 10:00 PM
Yes, being a nice person and not wanting to kill people is certainly babyish. Damn those annoying nice people and their good intentions. >:/
You're being sarcastic right? >_>;b

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I was. :P I actually think Brown-Hakase was a great character because he had such a unique personality. How many shy, friendly but sadly misunderstood genious robot scientists have we seen in the show before? I thought so.

I really feel for the guy too, being shy sucks hard.

Blackjack Gabbiani
22nd June 2005, 10:53 PM
Anyone else think the "Jesse" character in the film was a man?

I may be wrong, but could 'sketto' be 'skate'?

Alfonso
22nd June 2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone else think the "Jesse" character in the film was a man?

I may be wrong, but could 'sketto' be 'skate'?

The word for Skating, and skate, it seems, since there doesn't appear to be a different word for it, is スケート, or Sukeeto.

Blackjack Gabbiani
22nd June 2005, 11:07 PM
Aah, gotcha.

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 11:13 PM
Well, it certainly wasn't a long 'e' sound, do that rules that out. :/ It occurs to me that it was probably suketto since there's that rule about separating the consonants. They were just saying it so fast that the u was practically omitted.

Dogasu
22nd June 2005, 11:30 PM
According to PokeAni (http://pokeani.com/episodefolda/episodeHO-1-5.html), it's Suketto-Dan (スケット団 ).

Heracross
22nd June 2005, 11:33 PM
Any idea what Suketto means though?

Yamato-san
23rd June 2005, 4:55 AM
a quick look-up reveals that "suketto" means "helper", so I guess everyone thought they're the "Helping Gang".

The original explanation of the R on their shirts actually makes some sense when you really think about it. The right part of the R looks kinda like a deformed ス (su), while the bottom and left parts of the R look kinda like a ケ (ke) leaning on its side, thus they're claiming that their R is a combination of the two symbols.

That Scary Clefairy
23rd June 2005, 5:48 AM
Now that makes more sense. Thanks Dogasu and Yamato-san!

Heracross
23rd June 2005, 6:08 AM
Ah, much thanks Yamato-san. Helping Gang makes a hell of a lot more sense than Skating Gang. XD I noticed that the symbol on the "Sketto-dan" shirts also looks like S and K put together.

Yamato-san
23rd June 2005, 7:49 AM
are you saying you pointed it out before? Because you make it sound like the symbol's a combination of the Roman letters S and K, not ス and ケ.

pokeee
23rd June 2005, 8:00 AM
did anyone catch the name at the girl???
I think there was a bit romance between her and james....

Lovely May
23rd June 2005, 8:03 AM
did anyone catch the name at the girl???
I think there was a bit romance between her and james....
Hehehehe, I like that romance. I think, they had a crush on each other.
James's destiny is different anyway =S

Heracross
23rd June 2005, 8:33 AM
are you saying you pointed it out before? Because you make it sound like the symbol's a combination of the Roman letters S and K, not ? and ?.
Yeah, I did mean that it looked like a combination of the Roman letters. I suppose it could feasibly be either depending on how you look at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Heracross/Misc/Suketto_dan.jpg

BTW pokeee, I believe the girl's dub name was Kate, though I've not actually seen it.

Blackjack Gabbiani
23rd June 2005, 8:55 AM
Oh yeah, Film!Jesse is so a man.

You wager Madame Boss or whoever founded the Rockets watched this series?

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
23rd June 2005, 7:18 PM

come on, He lived High up in a castle/mansion and Built Giant Robots, and kept on saying stuff like "I hope the villagers like this" in a sarcastic tone.

And the way he peers down on people is evil........

And how come he build a massive robot with razor sharp weapons just to till the soil?

Just use a mini robot with a HOE FOR CRYING OUT LOAD

when I found out he only wanted to be freinds I nearly pucked..

Heracross
23rd June 2005, 11:05 PM
All of the stuff you mentioned was simply to build up the suspense and make him appear evil so that when they revealed his true personality it would be a surprise.

Geodude
23rd June 2005, 11:41 PM
Kate: "Is there any way that you could stay here, and join our village, and live with me--I mean, with us?"

Anyone else surprised by that quote? :)

-:Buro-kun Tsubasa:-
7th August 2005, 1:06 PM
There is a mistake that I have found.
In the motto, they said team rocket instead of team Richeous. The girl wouldv'e clicked by then, but she didn't.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
18th October 2005, 12:01 AM
I just saw the epi and I thought it was pretty good. The only thing bothering me was Jessie's hair. I dunno why, it just didn't look right.

Dogasu
6th June 2006, 2:00 AM
The comparison for this should be ready tonight. It's a surprisingly well-dubbed episode, too.

EDIT: Or...maybe not.

Also, I forgot how god-awful the character designs in this episode are. It's right up there with "The Scuffle of Legends" for the title of "worst looking episode ever."

Judai Yuki
2nd July 2006, 1:37 AM
Nice seeing Arbok and Weezing again,after like 100 eps.

Haruka's Swimsuit
2nd July 2006, 1:59 AM
The comparison for this should be ready tonight. It's a surprisingly well-dubbed episode, too.

EDIT: Or...maybe not.

*nods*
Just going by the episode summary on serebii.net; this seems to be a less-great dub.
Examples: "Team Righteous," the "old tv show," the "evil Team Rocket robot empire," the talk of "angels"

Judai Yuki
2nd July 2006, 2:06 AM
Isn't that just spiffy how the robot explodes and they end of with Ash?

Squid Rooster
2nd July 2006, 2:23 AM
So was this episode handled by another animation team? The whole episode looked really off; often the characters were disproportionate, bordering on fanart quality. :p Nice to see a Rocket-centric episode, though.

Dogasu
2nd July 2006, 4:06 AM
I know. And people thought "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon" looked bad...

Medea
2nd July 2006, 6:13 AM
*sighs*...Boy it is great seeing Arbok and Weezing again. I have to say that now (before I forget). But this episode was okay in and of itself. Kate was such a little cuttie. But other than that, tis all I can comment on.

◘Ins0mnIac◘
2nd July 2006, 9:24 PM
I liked this one. The Proffessor's voice was obnoxious and at the end, Meowth was hanging from a tree but I can't figure out by what...only things I dislikes. Overall an original episode. Better than the Cerulean Blue one at least....

Shift
2nd July 2006, 10:24 PM
Nice seeing Arbok and Weezing again,after like 100 eps.
Yeah, and it was nice to hear Weezing's original voice one more time, too. (they just had Eric Stewart voice it in the episode they left in.)

Riva
3rd July 2006, 4:33 AM
Jessie, James and Meowth wouldn't have been happy living a lie, anyway. And I doubt they would have been able to. For some reason they can't seem to avoid wanting to cause trouble, but I think they just compensate for their unfortunate pasts. They think being bad is the only way to live.

Judai Yuki
3rd July 2006, 5:20 AM
I actually liked this episode out of all of the Chronicles so far.

mangod/pikachu
3rd July 2006, 6:39 AM
I loved this episode, Team Rocket is awesome.
Nice thing to watch after being at JAA all day.

wobbanut
6th July 2006, 7:29 PM
Well, I finally got access to the site so I can review this episode. My delayed reviews are usually just because I watch the tape almost a week later. :p

Anyway, this was one of the specials I had been looking forward to the most since the pictures first came out. As a humongous Team Rocket fan, I loved the looks of both their specials and couldn't wait for them to come here. Well, I'm glad I finally got to see this episode. It was terrific, though I think they stuck too much to Team Rocket being evil and didn't concentrate more on their heroics in this episode.

That being said, it was entertaining, and it was nice to see a town that embraced the trio. :) I liked how Dr./Professor Brown and Team Rocket worked together, and how one of Team Rocket's usual capture devices (the vacuum) actually came in handy for getting rid of the taillows. It was weird seeing Arbok and Weezing again, but I already knew this special aired shortly before they left.

I also really enjoyed Kate. If they couldn't quite get past the "Team Rocket is evil" thing, I'm glad they kept the whole Kate/James thing alive. Kate was really sweet, and I felt for her. I'm still a Rocketshipper, but Kate and James were quite nice in this episode. I like how Team Rocket actually considered the hero options, until they saw the twerps again. LOL

Overall, 9.5/10, taken down slightly just because of the whole evil thing.

Steffrox
6th July 2006, 8:36 PM
hmm i didn't like kate, i thought she was a bit to innocent for her own good, and i dunno, something about her made me uncomfortable. other than that i loved this episode

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
9th July 2006, 3:17 AM
Not the best episode, but hey, it was my first Chronicles episode, so I'm glad to see it =D

Kate was so obsessed with James xD It was really sweet, and it wasn't annoying like some adorations can be.

Anyone else find it unsettling that no one ever blinks in Chronicles? o_o Meowth especially was bizarre; those big eyes scare you after a while.

The animation was fairly limited in this episode, sadly =/ The Taillow flock never opened their mouths, really, despite their constants squawks and calls.

The Professor was a bit strange....Design and voice. But meh, it was his character that I liked; reminded me of me, almost xD

The robot fight was....amusing, due to how unrealistic it was D= Robots can't do that.

And I'm impressed at Meowth's ability to customize a robot like that in such short time, without any real drawbacks, apart from his lack of experience.

Arbok and Weezing =O Nice to see those two again.

Overall rating:
7.5 out of 10

Not bad, but a bit far off from being enjoyable.

≈*V Tsun*≈
The 8th Champion

.:Sen:.
9th July 2006, 3:20 AM
In my opinion, the episode was more of a "so so" ... it wasn't really that exciting. Although, seeing Arbok and Weezing was rather nice. The robot part of the episode was rather funny. But somehow, i had a hunch that the robots that were sent into the village were good from the beginning. I'd rate it a 6 on a 1 through 10 scale rating.

C.J. Ray
9th July 2006, 5:27 AM
I liked this episode because they showed Arbok again, and I'm an Arbok fan. ;024;

The episode seemed to be like a turning point, but then they had to ruin it by having James foolishly blast them off and land near Ash and friends and say "Oh, let's go be evil again!" But then, if they weren't around, then who would be the comedy to save the show from falling apart? :D

Great episode, but did you notice that in the movies they showed, the "Meowth" was actually a kid in a Meowth suit? :)

EDIT: Whoohoo! Got the Brock mini-banner, so I'm Boulder now!

Kamex
14th July 2006, 7:59 PM
It's always nice to see Team Rocket as heroes every now and then.

Gee, because of the way he acted, I felt sorry for the 'villain' with the robots throughout the entire episode. O_o

Interesting that James seemed to like that girl. I wonder what would have happened if Team Rocket stayed there.

Anyway, I guess that side-story was only temporary since they're back to following Ash and Pikachu, of course. 8/10.

Haruka
22nd July 2006, 5:01 PM
i loved this episode it was so funny, but did musashi look weird in this episode? because i think she did. anyways i think it gets a 9/10.

Francesc
31st October 2006, 2:01 PM
Poor James, he sholud have stayed with the girl... Anyway, good episode. It was nice to see Team Rocket doing something for the good of the people.

♥Princess Ketchum♥
31st October 2006, 2:03 PM
it was a pretty awsome episode and poor james :( he liked that girl alot

Battra
17th November 2006, 4:04 PM
I reall enjoyed this episode, it's interesting to see Jesse, James and Meowth actually consider quiting Team Rocket and settling down.

WaterDragon trainer
2nd May 2007, 11:03 PM
I thought this episode was meh. It was pretty weird when TR fell from the sky and the girl thought they were heroes. It was cool to see Arbok and Weezing after eons. I thought it was kinda funny when Meowth's robot kept jumping on the lead robot. The whole misunderstanding with the scientist was really lame. The only thing worthwhile to say was that it sounded good to hear that TR considered becoming good guys.

eimajamie
23rd August 2007, 12:15 PM
I Liked this episode apart from the misunderstanding with the evil scientist, it was nice to see Arbok and Weezing again though

eimajamie
23rd August 2007, 12:16 PM
I Liked this episode apart from the misunderstanding with the evil scientist, it was nice to see Arbok and Weezing again though

d_dan_n
7th April 2008, 7:12 PM
i liked this episode! i like the stories with team rocket in

HikariTajiri
1st June 2008, 5:49 PM
OMG... I never stopped laughing all through this. XDDD;; Team Righteous indeed... LMAO I liked Prof. Brown a lot, though. Dunno why. Prof Brown x James anyone?

Manafi's Dream
4th July 2008, 3:19 PM
I thought this one was really funny!

Manafi's Dream
4th July 2008, 3:19 PM
I thought this one was really funny!

Meowth-Fan
4th July 2008, 4:49 PM
I thought this one was really funny, too.
I always love any episode about Team Rocket.

Blue Snover
9th October 2008, 11:47 AM
I think it was good that Team Rocket didn't end up staying in that town, because the show would be boring if they left.

Hibachi
19th August 2009, 7:39 AM
I thought it was good to see Team Rocket act as heroes, even if they didn't mean to. It was obviously a major coincidence that they looked exactly like Team Righteous. I thought that Professor Brown was kind of odd, and I don't blame the villagers for thinking he's evil. I probably would too if I saw a hue robot come at the town.

Rainbowdashtheawesome
24th September 2009, 2:50 PM
I wonder how things would have changed later on if TR had stayed in that town and been good guys. First of all, they would have finally have learned what respect is; and second, Ash and friends would have finally been rid of them.

Armaldo48
5th January 2010, 9:03 AM
Poor team rocket.... they never seem to be lucky. But it was nice too see them as heroes tough.

8/10

Ash-kid
6th January 2010, 9:55 AM
TR were so poor no one really understand how much they suffer...

And i loved the scientist, he was very strange without any friends.

6/10

Lorde
6th January 2010, 10:01 AM
Poor team rocket.... they never seem to be lucky. But it was nice too see them as heroes tough.

8/10

I know, but they are the major villians in the anime, as incompetent as they may be :/

I liked it. I really liked that this one took place right after the Taillow episode so it went along with the main anime unlike the other specials so far.

Team Rocket needs more episodes like these, where they're goodguys. 6/10

Willow's Tara
25th June 2010, 8:47 AM
This episode was funny, especially the way they thought TR was heroes. What I find more funny is that apparently the footage they saw is a TV show (Quite old by the looks of it though, probably before any of the three were born) they think is the news, and plus that Meowth is a person in the costume. (Maybe the actor Jessie and James are their grandparents lol).

And the old guy was misunderstood, he was trying to help but they thought he was trying to attack.

G50
1st March 2011, 6:57 AM
This episode was ok... It was funny when the villagers though TR was Team Righteous and were heroes. It was funny when TR decided to stay, but then screwed up and were sent away. The scientist was very odd... What he was doing to the fields still doesn't make sense to me...

40/100

7threst
22nd September 2012, 9:23 PM
I love how these Chronicle episodes are really interesting considering the correlations with the Advanced Series. A episode focused on Team Rocket is always fun to watch. I never saw this episode before so it was really interesting to watch. I also laughed many times how the village and its inhabits thought Team Rocket were heroes ( which they actually were) Good episode and humorous. As expected from a Team Rocket centered episode.

Kutie Pie
24th September 2014, 1:06 AM
So the opening starts, and already I'm thinking... is that you, Dr. Tenma?

I honestly don't know what to say about this episode. I understand that Chronicles is all about short side-stories of characters who are not Ash, so they technically are canon, but they act more like filler than anything (which I suppose is the point, but if they're to add to canon, then why act like filler?). They're easy to overlook because of that, and they have their good and bad episodes as well. However, one would think that these stories would help better the characters in showing a different side to them that we don't always see. Brock and Misty are proof of that, even though they're characters we're more intimately knowledgeable about. So it'd be no different for Team Rocket whose flanderizations haven't fully sunk in yet by this time; it's there, but people haven't necessarily complained about it just quite. It's not the first time Team Rocket has done heroic things, nor has it been the last, but unfortunately, those few times did it a lot better than this special did. I was hoping it would be great to see an episode that just has Team Rocket as the main characters doing what they do best in being themselves as honestly good people deep down, since we've had so few of those episodes to begin with.

This is not that episode. Not this time, anyway.

I should not have ever expected anything big from the moment that robot came out brandishing its hoes within that first minute. I don't even know what I was really expecting to begin with outside of a possible Frankenstein plot, which I'll gladly take over what we got here. Instead, we got a whole mistaken identity going on with some woman named Kate being convinced Team Rocket is part of Team Righteous, who were apparently characters of an old television series from back in the day. (Doesn't help that conveniently they look alike.) Oh, how I wish she really was the village buffoon, then maybe there would've been something interesting going on when it comes to the villagers. But then again, they all appear to be buffoons from how quickly they came to be accepting of Team Rocket as these fictional characters.

Of course, then we have this thing going on where Kate crushes on James. She doesn't really seem to acknowledge either Jessie nor Meowth by name, which suggests to me that though she's a huge fan of Team Righteous, she probably has a huge crush on the guy. Typical fan-girl behavior. She had no character outside of that, I don't know why James would even consider staying outside of the fact she's like the only girl who didn't get all clingy. Far as we know, she could be a clingy fan-girl who wants him all to herself. Probably a good thing we didn't stay long enough to see that, because that would've made for a more interesting episode, and we can't have that in Pokémon.

Despite the use of robots in this episode, they're disappointing. Meowth was able to create off-screen a more interesting mecha out of the one they destroyed earlier. For an inventor, Dr. Tenma (Dr. Brown's a lazy name) sure isn't very creative. The giant one that came out to great them was the best-looking, and it did nothing. Not that I was really expecting a mecha battle, but anything's better than what we got next. Turns out Dr. Tenma's not a villain, he's just a misunderstood, shy person who wants to make friends with the villagers. Too bad he's not the real Dr. Tenma, though, then his robots would've had a better chance of making friends with people instead of angering them by destroy their fields. Then again, he would've sold them off if he got angry enough.

So after that let-down of a reveal, suddenly the episode is without conflict in the third act. Quick, throw in the flock of Taillow from “You Never Can Taillow!” that was briefly mentioned at the start! Yeah, now we have our Chekhov's Boomerang! But wait, is Team Rocket going to save the day? Nope, it's all Dr. Tenma's idea, and he takes the credit. Pat yourself on the back, writers, you have a gift in disappointing your viewers!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b633/lilbird92/maowr_zps179f24e1.png
A literal interpretation of the writers' competence in writing Team Rocket's characters.

Oh, and though he claims he sent the Taillow off on their way, we don't see that happening. I don't know about you, but I'm going to assume from lack of proof that they all suffocated, and in his laboratory, he'll sew up the corpses to create a monster. Hey, I wanted a Frankenstein plot, I didn't get it, so I'm making one of my own.

So in the end, this feels like an actual filler episode from the series and not a side-story that was worth telling. Team Rocket had a chance to have one of their rare heroic moments, but all we got was misunderstanding and a flock of Taillow. Is an actual mad scientist threatening the village too much to ask? Why bother pulling the wool over everyone's eyes when there's no actual villainy going on? And why robots, exactly? So the guy's too shy to make friends on his own, but using robots in your stead rarely, if ever, works. If it hadn't been for Team Rocket's brief battle with the first robot and the Taillow, there wouldn't have been any Pokémon in this episode. I guess it's been shown time and again that some places don't have Pokémon co-existing with them, but it's as though this was a script from some other show that they just decided to carry over and hastily added Team Rocket in. It really doesn't feel like Pokémon to me.

Well, we can't always get what we want. Might as well write it off as a loss and be on my way.