PDA

View Full Version : Showdown at the Oak Corral (008)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:42 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S7.jpgShowdown at the Oak Corral

Its a usual day at Oak's Lab, all Ash's Pokémon are out having fun, but Butch & Cassidy soon appear with the intent of stealing as many Pokémon as possible. Can they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/007.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 2:15 PM
I haven't seen this episode but it looks so cool! we get to see Ash's old Pokemon!! I love the picture, it's good to see Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Noctowl looking good. I miss all of them terribly...

EDIT:

I just watched this episode and it was so cool! It was great to see all of Ash's old Pokemon again! The battle at the end was just great, Delia was good at battling with Mr. Mime and Prof. Oak was good at battling with Bulbasaur, Totodile and Cyndaquil.
I didn't realise that Bayleef, Heracross, Kingler and Noctowl have the same Japanese and English voices.

Heracross
13th February 2005, 9:45 PM
This episode was as good as I thought it would be. It was cool to see all of Satoshi's pokémon at Ookido-Hakase's lab, and I think it's cool how the writers use Yamato and Kosanji (XD) a lot in the special episodes.

The think I didn't like about it was the Betabaton looked really f'd up throughout the episode. It was friggin huge and all stretched out looking. o_o;

Fushigidane stole the spotlight yet again, but I didn't really mind because I love the little guy.^^ I really wish they would have given Heracross more time though, all he really did was help look for Yamato and Kosaburou and then stand around in the background. C'mon writers, you already screwed him over in the actual show, couldn't you give him some screen time in the specials?

Woody10
28th June 2005, 6:39 PM
We Get to See BAYLEEF again! Yay

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
28th June 2005, 7:11 PM
I cant wait for tommorow to see this

I love totodile, cyndaquil and noctowl!

Blazing Charmander
29th June 2005, 5:14 PM
Just saw the episode and it was great! The best dubbed Hoso (Chronicles) yet. I think that 4Kids did really well dubbing this episode.

Thyere were no mess ups from what I remember. Well, maybe the only one was when Tracey said that he had "heard" of Cassidy and Butch before when in fact, he saw them in the Orange Islands. But other than that, everything was fine.

It was great seeing Ash and Tracey's Pokemon in action again. I have really missed those guys. It was funny when Totodile kept shooting water guns at Butch and kept dancing. And just a note, the names that Butch were called were Biff (by Tracey) and Bill (by Delia).

And one last thing. One interesting piece of dialogue I picked out was when Oak told Delia that Ash had arrived in Petalburg. Delia said she loves Petalburg and has always wanted to see a Zigzagoon. Interesting. Eldershippers will also be happy at the fact that at the end, the narrator said that Delia thought Oak's love poem was about her.

Torkoal Stu
29th June 2005, 5:20 PM
And one last thing. One interesting piece of dialogue I picked out was when Oak told Delia that Ash had arrived in Petalburg. Delia said she loves Petalburg and has always wanted to see a Zigzagoon. Interesting. Eldershippers will also be happy at the fact that at the end, the narrator said that Delia thought Oak's love poem was about her.

She said Zangoose I though. Anyway alot of Eldershipping.

Anyway the passin time sence was ashs pokemon. And even Kingler, Muk, Heracross and Snorlax made appreances.

They kept the traddition of Butch beinging said wrong and him going crazy.

The lame puns:

"This is a bake time I mean great time"
"Jessie and James" "No, Messie and Lames"

A few more I can't remember.

Good though.

Batdude
29th June 2005, 5:22 PM
I thought that this was pretty good. Oak has some spirit in him battle-wise anyway. They changed poor Cassidy's attractive voice to some other... thing...

And not that I'm slamming the artists, but WHAT did they do to Muk and Kingler?! Muk was a giant, and Kingler looked the worst I've ever seen him, as if he was glued to the ground.

Other than that, I liked it.

(How many Oddish/Skiploom does Oak have in that lab?!)

EDIT: On a very different note, just for once I'd like to have someone mess up Butch's name and call him *****. When Tracey said 'Biff' I actually thought he said it for a second. Maybe someday...

poke_girl
29th June 2005, 7:05 PM
The Sales mans voice changed..

Jesse GS the II
29th June 2005, 7:05 PM
"Jessie and James" "No, Messie and Lames"

Weren't those the names that MAD Magazine gave them in their "Pokémon" parody about six years ago?

Torkoal Stu
29th June 2005, 7:16 PM
Weren't those the names that MAD Magazine gave them in their "Pokémon" parody about six years ago?

Probably but Butch said the Messie and Lames bit after Casidy went "We're better than those other two Jessie and James" also Giovani's name wes mentioned instead of Boss when Casidy was saying promotion Butch said "Giovania will give us so on"

Also the the saleman had a strange voice.

Also Prof.Oak was writing a poem which turned out to be a love poem but he kept saying "Whats a word the ryhmes with Touros?"I was like be quiet now we get the idea.

Blazing Charmander
29th June 2005, 7:18 PM
She said Zangoose I though.

She actually might have said Zangoose. I never got her full speech, so you might be right Stu. But I think it would have made more sense to say Zigzagoon anyway. ^^

Gravy
29th June 2005, 7:36 PM
- Why did the Magikarp Salesman have a completely different voice?
- Why did they cut the part where Cassidy starts kicking the Nidoking and then it hurls her over the forest? The episode ended like, 2 minutes early.
- Why couldn't Cassidy's VA pronounce anything properly? Poh-Key Balls? Hound-Door?

The episode was pretty decent despite a few slip-ups here and there, which I expect from EVERY chronicles episode anyway. These guys obviously aren't as dedicated to dubbing this show as those who work on the main series are. Meh.

I'm honestly not too bothered with Cassidy's new voice, though its nowhere near as good as the one we're already accustomed to, at least in my opinion.
Speaking of Cassidy, she looked really hot in this episode. I mean, she always looked pretty attractive before, but in this ep....whooo.
Would anyone happen to know which animation team is in charge of the Hoso specials? They all have this very distinctive style, and its really quite nice. I wish they'd animate some of the main series episodes too :/ Personally, I had no problem with Muk's appearence. Its supposed to look gooey and blob like anyways.

I do wish we'd have gotten to see more of Ash's other pokémon. Heracross barely did anything, and the same goes for Kingler and a few of the other 'neglected' guys. A shame really, you;d think they'd try to have them do a little bit more considering these episodes were one of the very few chances they'd get to have them appear.

CyberCubed
29th June 2005, 8:40 PM
Did all of Ash's Pokemon keep their old voices? And does Cassidy's new VA try to imitate the old one?

I really wish 4kids would let the guys who dub the main series to do Chronicles, even though THEY make mistakes every so often (Arbok to Seviper...lolololol), at least it's better than the Chronicles guys.

Gravy
29th June 2005, 8:52 PM
Did all of Ash's Pokemon keep their old voices? And does Cassidy's new VA try to imitate the old one?
Yeah, they all had the same voices. Except for Snorlax, who has a new VA, but thats been known of since the Johto league finals. I'm not particulary fond of Snorlax's new voice, the older one sounded a lot better :P

Cassidy's new VA was trying to sound like the older voice, though I feel her work with Hun would have been more suitable *shrugs*

CyberCubed
29th June 2005, 8:55 PM
Well at least Cassidy's new voice can't be blamed since her voice actress left (which caused Joy/Jenny to change too).

I am very happy to hear Butch kept the same voice, I can't imagine him sounding any different in the dub.

But damn, it's sad to hear the Magikarp salesman got butchered. Especially since he just appeared in the Spoink and Winona episode that aired recently on KidsWb, and he kept his old voice in both the new episodes of the main series.

Alfonso
29th June 2005, 9:08 PM
Bake time... wtf. What in the world just BAKING have to do with anything? O_O

Gah. And what in the world. Tracey has 'heard' of Butch and Cassidy? Lol.

Gravy
29th June 2005, 9:35 PM
The voice for the Magikarp salesman in the episode wasn't even very good either. His usual dub voice is pretty neat, and makes him sound really shifty, but the replacement was more along the lines of 'decrepid old man' if anything. They're obviously not even properly researching this show, which is just embarrassing.

Bake time... wtf. What in the world just BAKING have to do with anything? O_O
Delia came round with a freshly made batch of cookies or something like that.

Oh, how Oak loves Delia's 'cookies'~

CyberCubed
29th June 2005, 10:19 PM
Do I have any hope of these guys remembering Sakura's name in the next Misty special? Gah, they're going to change it to Sally or something. :(

TeddiUrsa
29th June 2005, 11:55 PM
Gah. And what in the world. Tracey has 'heard' of Butch and Cassidy? Lol.

Tracey has a very bad memory, maybe because he passed his memory over to brock so that he can "remember" lapras.
In the Aerodactyl episode, Tracey doesn´t seem to know who gary is..I mean, they met at the end of the orange jeague journey, didn´t they? Poor tracey..misty must keep him busy :p

Dogasu
30th June 2005, 12:10 AM

Yes it was:

http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/message_boards/messy_lame.jpg

30th June 2005, 4:12 PM
I loved this ep

exept for kingler and muk and heracross done nothing

the magikarp salesmen had a weird voice, but this the best chronicles so far..

but the dub titles of all of them cept for the legend of thunder sucked

Buttercup
1st July 2005, 4:01 AM
Is it just me or did Butch's voice sound a lil gay on some parts of the ep?

Dogasu
1st July 2005, 5:02 AM
Butch's voice has always sounded gay to me, in that Harvey Fierstein kind of way.

IMPERIAL DRAGON
2nd July 2005, 4:25 PM
One question, do any of my fellow Brits here know when this episode is being repeated? I missed it on wednasday so I intended to see the repeat this afternoon but they showed the episode from the previous week for some reason...

2nd July 2005, 9:52 PM
they've been repeated the christmas specials like crazy

and Butch's voice dosent sound gay unless he's saying 'Giovanni'

Batdude
3rd July 2005, 2:21 PM
Funny, it's only now that people have said it that I can hear a different tone to Butch's voice. I never thought he sounded gay. Then again, when I first heard his voice I was too young and naive to suspect anything of the sort.

Geodude
4th July 2005, 9:30 PM
Cool episode. I thought it was really neat to see Delia in a battle for the first time, and Oak battling again for only the second time in the series...and of course to see Tracey and Scyther join in too.

Muk looked weird though, it looked really different from when we saw Ash's Muk before.

Mysty
5th July 2005, 8:04 PM
OMG. Butch does sound like harvey Fiernstein! *cracks up and starts humming something from La Cage aux Folles*

All the Eldershipping in this episode had me very very happy.

Hiraitos Zero aka OCZ
21st October 2005, 8:55 PM
It was a good episode,and after the motto I loved this part:

You're Cassidy,and you're bith!
MY NAME IS BUTCH! NOT BITH!

And I would've expected Butch's voice to be less deeper.
And Tracey sounds like fracking Alistor from Yu Gi Oh.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
25th October 2005, 12:40 AM
I saw the episode today and I guess this one was alright. Delia calling Butch Bill was pretty funny. But at the end where the nararator talks about Professor Oak reading a love poem and Delia thinks it's adressed towards her, is that in the japanese version too?

~Battle Frontier~
25th October 2005, 1:41 AM
I liked this episode even though it didnt have any important events.

It was a good episode,and after the motto I loved this part:

You're Cassidy,and you're bith!
MY NAME IS BUTCH! NOT BITH!

And I would've expected Butch's voice to be less deeper.
And Tracey sounds like fracking Alistor from Yu Gi Oh.

Tracey said Biff not Bith in the episode.

Jazlynn
8th November 2005, 7:35 AM
When is that one gonna come to the US?!?!?

Jazy

Jazlynn
8th November 2005, 7:41 AM
When is this episode gonna come to the US???? I would LOVE to to see this episode get aired on TV. I've seen the episode pictures and one of them is SO adorable. It's a picture of Cass and Butch holding hands and looking really happy instead of lookin evil. That picture of them looking happy really touched me. I always knew that Butch loves Cassidy. And Cassidy loves Butch. Shell! I can tell that in that picture they don't mind being that close to each other. *sniffs* :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/Dark-Turtle/CassAndButchholdinghands2.jpg

Jazlynn
15th January 2006, 8:22 AM
Cass' VA is always Lisa Ortiz. ;)

both Butch and Cass RULE!!

Medea
4th March 2006, 5:47 AM
FINALLY! MEDEA SAW THIS!

I just saw this episode a couple of hours ago and I am so very glad I saw it. This episode had some very funny moments. It's going to take me a while to get used to Cassidy's voice (but I'm sure I will). The Magikarp Salesman on the other hand...well, it was just BLAH! And finally, and most importantly, I got to see my favorite, and very sexy character, Tracey. He was just great (as he always is ^_^)

Dogasu
10th June 2006, 6:48 PM
Just watched the episodes for my site. No idea when I'll get the comparison up, though.

- Why did they cut the part where Cassidy starts kicking the Nidoking and then it hurls her over the forest? The episode ended like, 2 minutes early.

Probably because Nidoking was pretty much trying to rape Yamato. Seriously, it's one of the most disturbing scenes ever animated for the franchise, and I'm not surprised at all that 4Kids decided to cut it out.

CyberCubed
10th June 2006, 6:50 PM
Probably because Nidoking was pretty much trying to rape Yamato. Seriously, it's one of the most disturbing scenes ever animated for the franchise, and I'm not surprised at all that 4Kids decided to cut it out.

More disturbing than James with boobs or Brock licking/humping Sudowoodo?

Now I really need to see this. Someone needs to make an animated gif of that scene for those of us who are stuck watching the dub.

Dogasu
10th June 2006, 8:18 PM
It's a 12-second scene, so I doubt anyone would bother to make a gif for it.

I do plan to post screenshots, though. After I figure out what's wrong with my site.

Ashy Boy
11th June 2006, 2:31 PM
I saw the episode several times, but Phanpy is absent. Why is that?

Dogasu
17th June 2006, 4:46 PM
No freakin' clue. I assume the writers just forgot about it, since it only came along in late Jouto.

TwilightFacade
9th July 2006, 1:09 AM
-So good to see Bayleef again. Although now it kinda seems like it has a crush on Tracey.
-Phanpy was gone, which was a major screw-up. It wasn't even seen in the transitions with the rest of the Oak'd Pokemon.
-They butchered Cassidy, Nidoking, and the Salesman's voices.
-Houn-Door?? Ugh as if Man-teen and Smea-Gel wasn't bad enough.
-Bulbasaur got the spotlight, which was fine since it has been on Ash's team longer than the others.
-Why did Oak say that Bulbasaur was his old companion? It's Ash's Pokemon.
-It was great to see Noctowl do something and Cyndaquil and Totodile were pretty funny.

Anyways I liked this episode, despite all the mistakes so I'll give it a 8/10

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
9th July 2006, 2:31 AM
Hah, I'm so slow ;; I didn't realize the Nidoqueen and Golem were fake until after we saw inside them. And then I noticed all the obvious imperfections(Nidoqueen's neckline, Golem's peephole).

Totodile assaulting Butch was entertaining, to say the least.

Noctowl doing something =D Wow, that alone made this episode worth seeing. And its X-Ray vision was awesome, which is even better.

Morose....Heh, interesting choice of words. But then again, Professor Oak has a point; not a lot rhymes with Tauros D=

Bulbasaur got the spotlight....Meh, that's alright. Though it would've been nice to have Bayleef with the main role, Bulbasaur is a decent Pokémon.

Haven't seen Butch and Cassidy in a while. Nor Tracey, for that matter, so that's nice.

Hah, I loved Butch's 'Identity Crisis' face. Though the joke gets old after a while, that expression drew a lol from me xD

Muk was huge o_o Seriously.

Dunno why, but the sight of the Tauros charging by Snorlax to get the message across amused me deeply xD

As did the slow-mo animation of Houndour coming in for a Bite, with Mr. Mime screaming xD Laughed pretty hard at that.

On that subject, isn't that one of the only Bite attacks ever attempted/used in the animé? It seems to be something of a taboo with the writers/animators, so I was surprised to see that.

Hitmontop's voice is forever awesome xD And that's twice in one day, too(Pasta La Vista).

Overall rating:
8.0 out of 10

I rather like Pokémon-centric episodes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than We're No Angels!, though it seemed almost overly-long.

≈*V Tsun*≈
The 8th Champion

Evil Azurill
9th July 2006, 2:36 AM
The only major complaint I have is that they ruined the Magikarp salesman's voice. I loved that guy. The stereotypical Mexican voice just made the character, and now, he's just an un-lovable old man. T_T

*ahem* Other than that, it was a little hard for me to adjust to Butch and Cassidy's voices. Cassidy was totally different. She sounded sweet, and that is NOT her. Butch has become a flaming, lisping homosexual (but a TOUGH one, mind you xD). But...you know, by the end of the episode, I kind of liked the voices. They grew on me. I actually think I like Butch even MORE than I did before I saw this episode. I thought B&C were pretty funny. Mostly Butch...he had some good lines.

Cassidy: I thought you were tough.
Butch: I am. But I like dry socks.

Butch: It's following us. (the LOUDEST WHISPER EVER) I think it likes you.

Butch: Helicopter! Helicopter! Helicopter!

Plus, I liked the way he freaked when Tracey and Delia got his name wrong, and the constant theme of Butch's toughness throughout the episode.

Other than that though...Oak, Tracey, and Delia couldn't have come off as more ( I think Cassidy says it best) lame-o. They didn't really do anything besides battle Butch and Cassidy, and they really had NOTHING worthwhile to say. This episode was made for Butch and Cassidy fans. That's it.

As a Tracey fangirl I'm disappointed, but as a Butch and Cassidy fan I'm thrilled.

Team Rocketness - 10/10
Voice Consistency - 4/10 (Cassidy and the Magikarp salesman disappointed)
Eldershipping - 6/10
Heroworshipping - 1/10 (Tracey has REALLY calmed down -_-)
Neoshipping - 6/10
Plot - 5/10

Overall Rating - 9/10 (Butch and Cassidy saved it. Other than the two of them, the episode kinda...sucked.)

Judai Yuki
9th July 2006, 3:21 AM
Cassidy:That'll teach you to go around getting stepped on.
Me:Lolz

Medea
9th July 2006, 4:23 AM
-So good to see Bayleef again. Although now it kinda seems like it has a crush on Tracey.

Ooh, Bayleef, stay away from my man!

Ha! I know I saw this back in March (in English and in Japanese) and I haven't seen it since then, so I'm going to comment some more (of whatever I missed out on saying last time).

-Butch's name (we are so going to hear so many mistakes on his name but for the time being, it is funny as hell).
-Salesman vs Tracey (HA! Trying to rip off Tracey. I should hunt him down and kill him myself...only kidding)
-Eldershipping (well, I have nothing against it)

That's pretty much it! Most of the time, I was screaming at the television like...

-*screams*...IT'S MY BABY!
-Don't insult him! He's great!
-Rip off my baby...For shame!
-TAKE OFF YOUR TOP!

And such, this was another rant brought to you in part by Medea!

Silver Ryu
9th July 2006, 4:40 AM
"I've heard of you! You're Cassidy, and you're Bi-*is cut off*"

XDDDD I laughed so hard when I heard that. Did I hear that right?

C.J. Ray
9th July 2006, 5:05 AM
I think the name mess-up could have been done better, but since Butch's original name was a Japanese pun, I can't complain. What are you going to use? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I agree that the Magikarp Salesman's voice wasn't right, but I can ignore it(bet that was his twin brother in Kanto!). What an idiot he was trying to rip off an honest trainer. I'm guessing he's the guy who, in the Red/Blue games, sells you the Magikarp in Mt. Moon's center. :D

Anyways, great episode, and I liked seeing Bayleef, Cyndaquil, and Noctowl again, since Ash never used them in the Hoenn League. Fresh start my...

Judai Yuki
9th July 2006, 5:06 AM
I think he said Bif,then Delia said "Calm down Bill".A love poem for Bulbasaur aint that something?

Riva
9th July 2006, 5:52 AM

How do ya figure that?

Judai Yuki
9th July 2006, 7:13 AM
xD Medea's mad about that.So..Delia thought the love poem was for her?Hmm....

Addydo
9th July 2006, 8:12 AM
I liked this episode, but I hated the voice they gave to the Magikarp Salesmen
and Cassidy (she sounded to sweet). I knew they were going to use the same Snorlax voice from the Winter Vacation episode for Ash's Snorlax, GOD I HATE THAT VOICE! :@ It makes me cringe.

Judai Yuki
9th July 2006, 3:39 PM
Uhh it only said "Lax".Eldershipping woah 0.o

Addydo
9th July 2006, 8:28 PM
Uhh it only said "Lax".Eldershipping woah 0.o

Actually it made that snoring noise and then Lax, just like the ones in the Winter Vacation episode. ;munchlax;

S.Suikun
9th July 2006, 8:39 PM
xD Medea's mad about that.So..Delia thought the love poem was for her?Hmm....
More dub-only crap.

Of all the Chronicles episodes I've seen, this is probably only second to Legend of Thunder dub-wise for the amount of screw-ups. Of course, I also thought this was a boring episode to begin with.

Evil Azurill
10th July 2006, 3:40 AM
I know what happened to the Magikarp Salesman's voice. One too many a dissatisfied customer punched him in the throat, that's what happened.

Judai Yuki
10th July 2006, 5:32 AM
Well this one is in Kanto.Maybe there's like 20 of them.

wobbanut
11th July 2006, 12:43 AM
Well, I have to say the best part of this episode had to be seeing all of Ash's left-behind pokemon. :D Bayleef, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Noctowl, Snorlax, Muk, and all the others were great to see again. I'm glad we got to hear Totodile speak this time, unlike in "The Right Place at the Right Mime". I just love that Donald Duck voice. I liked how he watergunned Butch and Cassidy for fun until they started fighting back.

It was also good to see Butch and Cassidy again, and hear their motto (first time in three years!! (in U.S.)). I may like Jessie, James, and Meowth by far, but the other Team Rocket isn't half bad. I liked that they remembered Tracey already met the duo (it took me a few moments to remember). The battle was pretty good too. I also liked the nidoking going after Cassidy. :D

Of course, the worst part was the redubbed magickarp salesman. I love the MS, but MAN that was weird. Maybe we can write him off as an identical American cousin. :p

Overall, 8/10. I'm anxiously awaiting the sableye in the later B&C specials.

Judai Yuki
11th July 2006, 3:03 PM
^^Well we got about another month seeing as no Chronicles this Saturday.

-Judai

noobers
11th July 2006, 11:50 PM
The Donald Duck voice was good on Totodile. XD I've always wondered what Totodiles voice was like. Although this is the first Chronicles episode I've ever seen. I just got cable last week and I always wondered when they aired it....I give this episode an 8/10....

~Aquatic;381;

TwilightFacade
13th July 2006, 8:08 PM

How do ya figure that?

Well she did follow Tracey for the entire episode and Tracey commented on how much of a pal it was. Although I am still a Chikoshipper. :P

Also perhaps there are more than one Salesman a la Joy and Jenny.

PAK Man
19th August 2006, 1:47 AM
You know, this was the first episode of Chronicles I ever saw, and I must say I was disappointed. The Magikarp Salesman's voice was terrible, which is odd because he's played by Eric Stuart, who was in this episode. Then that whole thing with Oak trying to rhyme with the word Tauros. Give me a break. I'm a defender of the dub and all, but Chronicles was just painful to watch. At least all of Ash's Pokemon kept their voices, but it bugged me that Phanpy was nowhere to be found. Well, at least it got its redemption in the Battle Frontier, when it evolved into Donphan. And I still have no idea what was up with that line about Bulbasaur.

Francesc
2nd November 2006, 1:39 PM
I just saw it, and it's a pretty decent episode. It was nice to see Prof.Oak again...

Battra
17th November 2006, 3:01 PM
I've always enjoyed the episodes of where they show the pokemon on Oak's ranch, and it's always a nice treat to see Ash's Mom.

Meta Knight
24th November 2006, 10:21 PM
has anyone reallized that the nidoqueen suit cassidy wore was the same one that was in the other chronicle, oaknapped? in oaknapped, it was a stuffed pokemon that really had cassidy in it and later had prof. oak in it!

Leona
18th February 2007, 8:50 PM
i love this episode, it was just interesting to watch xD and I Love Butch & Cassidy :P

d_dan_n
7th April 2008, 6:14 PM
I really enjoyed this episode! Love totodile!

HikariTajiri
1st June 2008, 4:45 PM
OMG TRACEEEY. <333 *snaps out of it- almost* This ep really got me into Bayleef x Tracey... but if Bayleef doesn't want him there's always me. <33333 *shot* OK, enough of the fangirling over- *Tracey appears* SQUEEEEE! <333 *****acey fangirl mode] Nice idea, having Butch and Cassidy steal the Poké Balls. I love the eps where you get to see all the Pokémon at Oak's lab.

Blue Snover
9th October 2008, 10:55 AM
I liked this episode, because it showed that Professor Oak still had some skill as a trainer.

Hibachi
21st August 2009, 7:48 PM
I really liked this episode. I thought it was neat how all of the pokemon at Professor Oak's lab worked together to catch Butch and Cassidy. I thought it pretty interesting to see Professor Oak battle with Ash's Bulbasaur, and Mrs. Ketchum battle with Mr. Mime. I thought it was funny when the Nidoking went to Cassidy because she was in a Nidoqueen suit. However, I could only imagine how hard it would be to be in the Golem suit having to be hunched over all the time.

Willow's Tara
25th June 2010, 8:08 AM
It wasn't too much of a bad episode, better then some others really. The Nidoking trying to get Cassidy/Nidoqueen was funny, and of course Muk is gonna greet another Muk. I wonder if Phanpy was in one of those pokeballs. It was nice to see Delia battle which I don't think we seen her do before.

G50
1st March 2011, 6:39 AM
This episode was good. It was great seeing all the Pokemon working together to get rid of Cassidy and Butch. It was funny when Nidoking was making love to the fake Nidoqueen, and Muk flattening the fake robots that TR was in. Delia was really good at the battle in this episode.

60/100

AquaMilotic
8th January 2012, 4:16 PM
This was really good. Nice to see the Magikarp Salesman! Cassidy and Butch had awesome Nidoqueen and Golem costumes. Seeing Bayleef was awesome, I love that Bayleef and some of Ash's other Pokemon! This was enjoyable, 10/10.

7threst
24th September 2012, 6:03 PM
What I like the most about this episode was both the appearance of Butch and Cassidy and how previously captured Pokémon from Ash got some spotlight. You rarely see them again throughout the entire anime. Cassidy's new voice was surprisingly good, whereas the Magikarp Salesman was god awfully done. A nice chronicle episode in my opinion.

Kutie Pie
26th September 2014, 8:30 PM
With all the hits and misses of Chronicles, there's a bit of a feeling that it was made for a few fans. For one thing, Ash is not a main character, so he'll only make cameos in person or through dialogue; that alone appeals to quite a bit of fans who don't like him. The other is that a number of side characters are popular, and fans like to add to their characters through fan fiction, fan art, or fan theories (if not a combination of all the above), so the series exists to showcase them. However, because it tends to be taken as non-canon, that makes it all feel like a gimmick, if you want to call it that.

For example, why bother to insert the Magikarp Salesman for a cameo if he's not going to contribute to the episode's plot? No, Professor Oak preaching that buying and selling Pokémon is wrong doesn't count. So what, did the episode just need a fake-out because that's kinda what we expect Team Rocket to pull? Did they just so happen to come up with a scenario for him, so they had to put him in? Seeing they did the fake-out a second time by having Delia and Mr. Mime show up mere seconds later, the entire scene felt rather pointless. That padding could've gone to something else, honestly.

In the meantime, Oak pretty much doesn't try to hide the fact that he's shirking on writing a research paper in favor of writing his poems. I don't know if he publishes them on the side or what, but he shouldn't have to pretend that he's busy working when he's not even doing what he's renowned for. Now upon looking it up, that's dub-only, which suggests to me that 4KIDS thought the idea of making Professor Oak senile was funny, which, you know, I don't mind. Considering the games hint at it too, I don't see why the dub shouldn't poke fun of him either in that regard, even though I think the original doesn't shy away from it either, but it's more sparingly used. I like Professor Oak, he's pretty fun to have on-screen, but as I think on this some more, I find this a bit sad, and Tracey pretty much has to put up with it every day. Though I guess he idolizes the professor too much to really care at this point, and maybe he likes his poems.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b633/lilbird92/Screenshot2014-09-26at103734AM_zps5df0c35c.png
“I drew a blank, Tracey, what rhymes with 'senile'?”

I also just realized that this episode pretty much shares the same title with the Indigo Plateau episode, “Showdown at the Poké-Corral!” It could've just been lazy on the part of the dubbers in coming up with a title, but the conflict's the same. Both duos of Team Rocket have now attempted to steal from Professor Oak. At least the build up to that conflict is different, but we can pretend it's different because it's Cassidy and Butch who are doing it this time. So wait, it took them this long to realize Professor Oak has a lot of Pokémon on his hands? I know Butch and Cassidy don't bother with Jessie and James, so they probably never knew they had tried before if only because I guess the two never filed that report. Even so, Professor Oak is a well-known professor, one would think they would've made attempts to go after his lab, especially since he doesn't have an actual security. Well, even small facts like that would slip past the cracks, I suppose.

Speaking of Butch and Cassidy, it's great to see them again, it really is, especially when it's just the two of them. While Butch is still the same, Andi Whaley I thought sounded good as Cassidy, and was a nice replacement for Megan Hollingshead. However, they don't really act like how we usually see them, though I'm not sure if it's because of their dialogue or how they approached the plan, exactly. The few times we've seen them in the series, they were diabolical and cruel, there was no doubt about it. But here, while they do remain cruel, they just disguise themselves as a Nidoqueen and Golem, and they run into crazy antics involving the Pokémon. Despite how much they despise Jessie and James, they sure took a leaf out of their book, though I suppose it's common for Rocket members to be in disguise, but they're usually more careful with how they approach the disguises. Here, they were rather careless. If they wanted to blend in with the other Pokémon, they shouldn't have made contact with them, and/or stayed out of their sights.

Though I have to admit that the part with the Nidoking (which might've been Gary's Nidoking) was funny. Butch's dialogue snarking over it made it all the better, because he's pretty much watching his partner-in-crime getting advanced on by a Pokémon. It's as G-rated as it possibly can, but with classic lines such as “It thinks you're playing hard to get,” it starts to straddle the radar.

So from what I gathered, this is basically a “humans are almost useless” special for two-thirds of the episode, as it's mostly the Pokémon that were aware something was going on, and were messing with Butch and Cassidy (unintentionally, of course, though you never know with Totodile). Tracey at least helped when he was forced, but given how 4KIDS tended to treat Tracey at times, guess it was a bit of a godsend for him that he didn't do much in the episode. Hopefully he did more things in the other Chronicles episodes.

Now there's a pretty good battle at the end of the episode, even though it's mainly one-sided (villains in these situations rarely land a good blow). I think it's a good battle since Delia is involved. For someone who probably hadn't trained a Pokémon in years, she was good, even if battling skills run in the family, as she claimed. Mimey probably gets some training here and there when they're not doing housework to prevent from getting rusty, so it's really refreshing to see him battle for the first in a long time. Professor Oak made me raise a brow, though. Far as I know, Bulbasaur's not close to being one of his oldest companions as he hadn't been there that long. If Muk was there, his goopy heart would've ached at your statement. It's also nice to see Tracey's Scyther battle again despite its age.

Then there's that quick comment at the ending that I just have to point out and not because I'm a shipper. So... is the narrator an ElderShipper? Why exactly did the dubbers put such a thing in the script, even if it was just a throw-away line? Was it to give the “what rhymes with 'Tauros'” gag some closure? All of those PokéShipping hints they put into the show is more understandable, but ElderShipping was something I think the fans noticed first, I don't think the dub ever made mentions of it prior to this episode. Not that it matters to me, I never really cared too much for ElderShipping, it pretty much means nothing to me these days. There's still a few people who really like it, alright, that's fine, but this one felt like a gimmick, and kinda made it sound like Delia's a ditz than she really is.

I didn't think this was too bad of an episode, it sure was a step up from the last one. I'm just not too much of a fan of the antics involving the Pokémon outside of the Nidoking, especially since I would've liked to have seen Professor Oak do something besides write his “poetry”, or even more interactions with Delia. But for something that reminds me of “Showdown at the Poké-Corral!”, I thought it was fine, and I do look forward to seeing Butch and Cassidy show up some more, they're a rare treat. Hopefully they don't have the same problems as they did here, since I'm already starting to think this was done on purpose so as to make them seem like copy-paste replacements for Jessie, James and Meowth. But I shouldn't be keeping my expectations up that I'll be seeing Team Rocket's cruelty along the lines of “Legend of Thunder” in the rest of this series, or I'm going to end up disappointed.