PDA

View Full Version : Rival vs Palmer

BlitzBlast
12th April 2009, 7:28 AM
As we all know, your D/P/P rival's main goal (besides beating you) is to defeat his father.

Do you think he could actually win?

Assume that when the two battle they are going by Battle Tower rules.

mxe567
12th April 2009, 7:35 AM
i definitely think Palmer is the toughest of the two...he does of course have "rarer" pokemon than our rival

GokuRikaku
12th April 2009, 2:59 PM
he does of course have "rarer"
Dosen't mean anything...

Your best friend, your rival, or I'm just going to call him Pearl, can be tough, and he keeps getting better everytime someone (or... you...) beat him.

However, if I remember right, hes kinda hasty and maybe jolly, I believe his main plan is to do a all out attack to take down fast and hard, Palmer however, unsure (never really battle him alot).
They always say, "LIKE FATHER LIKE SON"... Palmer's main plan can be the same as well.

Hell, I think Pearl is tougher than Red...

To be short: They can be both the same level.

Squibelala
12th April 2009, 3:41 PM
what? palmer is hisather??? whoa i never knew that, but i think palmer should win because hes stronger and MUCH less arrogant. Your rival always wants to "fine you" bumps into people, and shouts, and runs off all over the place. palmer should and could win!

Mattarias
12th April 2009, 4:13 PM
Oh gods, Palmer, hands-down. The rival's just STUPID, plain and simple. Every team up I've had with him, he lost at least three pokemon right off the bat by switching in, say, his Torterra against Flint's Houndoom. *facepalm...*

Omastar ftw!
12th April 2009, 4:49 PM
Palmer will kill Pearl...easily...

Blivsey
12th April 2009, 6:46 PM
I want to say that they're at about the same level, but Palmer definitely has more experience and is thus a better battler. Compare the two. Pearl has a habit of ending up on the facepalm-end of the the AI roulette, as he tends to make poor switch-in decisions. Palmer, on the other hand, tends to be reasonably smart in battle. Palmer would probably trounce his kid.

Arceus, The Original One
12th April 2009, 8:38 PM
If they did battle, I think it would be like one of those battles where Barry would lose, but Palmer would be glad anyway, just cause he got to battle his son. (And then he rushes off)

Dragon Rules
13th April 2009, 2:25 AM
Your rival has absolutely no chance of defeating his father, Palmer way stronger than him.

mudkip master
13th April 2009, 11:14 AM
palmer would win i think he taught "rival" to battle so he is the master of the two.

Connor™
13th April 2009, 12:43 PM
=/
Its a toughie. While the rival may be headstrong and make rash decisions, the pure power of his pokemon could grant him the victory.
All this talk of palmer and the rival battling in a similar way is nonesense tbh. The rival takes an all out attack force, with relatively no pokemon (bar empoleon, torterra and snorlax) being relaitively bulky. On the other hand, all of palmers pokemon are bulky in a way.

These two styles crash in what is normally an entertaining match, however, I think Palmer would eek out a victory, simply because he makes better decisions during a battle and the bulkiness of his pokes should grant him the advantage.

Zhanton
13th April 2009, 1:11 PM
As we all know, your D/P/P rival's main goal (besides beating you) is to defeat his father.

Really? I never knew that! =[

I think Palmer would win...because he would. =P

heatran_ran
13th April 2009, 1:51 PM
I say the rival. Anyone considered that the father might go easy on him because he's his son? Or he might be so thrilled to see his son he would lose concentration. However, in the pixellated, emotionless world of pokemon, I think that his father would beat him.
P.s. I don't mean to be mean.

seraph8x
13th April 2009, 4:50 PM
Palmer, no doubt. Firstly, it's battle tower rules, so Rival's leveling up is irrelevant. Plus, Palmer seems like his mans are probably high 90's anyway by the way he understands strategy.

Secondly, we come to pure strategy. Palmer is all out better- He gives human players a tough time, let alone your doofus rival who can't seem to figure out why spamming growl at your special sweeper isn't killing you.

Thirdly, we get to his actual pokemon. He has great coverage and powerful attackers that compliment eachother. Even going by battle tower rules, I'm pretty sure his dragonite could straight up sweep the rival's entire team, if he was sent out first.

Miltank Lover
13th April 2009, 7:21 PM
I'm more impressed with fighting Palmer then I was with the Rival. The pokemon Palmer uses are also more threating in my eyes.

calum
14th April 2009, 1:39 AM
Palmer would win easy

micro.Tank
14th April 2009, 7:16 AM
As of right now, Palmer would utterly DESTROY his son. But, given a few years and a lot of experience, I think Pearl would be able to do the same to his Palmer.

Every time we fight him, he gets stronger! So imagine if he just keeps on fighting and fighting. He makes OK teams, just bad decisions. His sense of team balance is perfect, he just needs to use more capable Pokemon.

Everything that is wrong with his battle skills can be fixed with experience.

I cant think of a name
14th April 2009, 8:21 AM
Palmer would win easily, even if your rival (I named him ASSH*LE btw) used all 6 of his pokemon.

BlitzBlast
14th April 2009, 8:45 AM
what? palmer is hisather??? whoa i never knew that, but i think palmer should win because hes stronger and MUCH less arrogant. Your rival always wants to "fine you" bumps into people, and shouts, and runs off all over the place. palmer should and could win!

Ehh... sorry, but Rival gets that from his Dad.

The very first thing Palmer does in Platinum is rush out of the Battle Frontier, bump into his son, shout, and then run back in to battle frontier.

Only thing we haven't seen him do is fine someone.

And as for arrogance, you'll notice your Rival deflates as soon as he loses to Jupiter, and turns into an even more awesome person.

Really, the D/P/P rival makes all the other rivals look like cardboard cut-outs.

Anyhow, looks like everyone thinks Rival will lose to Palmer.

shadowkami
15th April 2009, 9:38 PM
Neither. It will be a "Goku vs. Superman" match. No one will win.

Kai678
15th April 2009, 10:36 PM
If this match were in the anime, most likely barry (or the "rival") will win because usually they make climactic battles a tie or very close to a tie to make it interesting to watch. If it were in the game, it could possibly still be close but most bets would be on Palmer because your rival would basically use staraptor against rhyperior.

Also, are we talking about Palmer's first team or second because if it were his second team, the answer would be obviously Palmer.

muumajii23
16th April 2009, 7:02 AM
Palmer obviously... the rival is a rash idiot. Sounds like someone else... *HINT* RHYMES WITH RASH *HINT* ^_^'

So ya, Palmer owns as it is anyways. There is no need to prove it. >_>

Beotium
16th April 2009, 8:11 AM
Your rival would win, just because he uses 6 Pokemon no matter what (Quote: rules? What rules ) and Palmer will use 3 Pokes for all eternity...perhaps the battle will just be cancelled due to "family-issues"

surfer treecko
18th April 2009, 4:18 PM
Palmer will win. Pearl is a moron.

I imagine Pearl would win if it was 6 v 6, but since it's 3 v 3, Palmer would use his battle tower tactics.

I wonder if the rival has even got past round one...

theclaytonator
18th April 2009, 4:53 PM
Hands down Palmer.

Game-Wise: Palmer has MUCH stronger Pokemon than Barry.

Show-Wise: Palmer would beat Barry, leading Barry to the classic "I'm gonna train harder and beat my dad, you'll see!" routine.

You have been Claytonated

cocoa_adele
19th April 2009, 12:01 AM
the rival would at need a dragon pokemon or something to defeat palmer
i know i do
i think his team is too basic to defeat him

foxyman1167
19th April 2009, 12:40 AM
Palmer would kick Pearls ***. There would be no contest, Palmer would just rip him to shreds.

Hydrohs
19th April 2009, 12:44 AM
Palmer for sure, your rival's team just isn't cut out to take on his Pokemon. Rypherior alone would give him quite a bit of trouble.

TicoPokemonMaster
19th April 2009, 3:41 AM
See as my avatar pic is the rival of D/P/Pt then I choose the Rival. Especially since his team gets to be the strongest computer trainer in Platinum.

serebiifreak
19th April 2009, 4:10 AM
I don't know why,but I think its my rival. Sure people say its palmer, but I never seen his poke's before.( If there is a way to battle him in diamond PM me) The rival is strange,but his poke's get stronger and stronger each rematch.

#Gecko#
19th April 2009, 5:00 AM
I think its obvious Palmer would win. Barry isn't that good anyway.

Hydrohs
19th April 2009, 5:02 AM
See as my avatar pic is the rival of D/P/Pt then I choose the Rival. Especially since his team gets to be the strongest computer trainer in Platinum.

Doesn't Cynthia have higher levels than him?

I don't know why,but I think its my rival. Sure people say its palmer, but I never seen his poke's before.( If there is a way to battle him in diamond PM me) The rival is strange,but his poke's get stronger and stronger each rematch.

Same way as in Platinum, 21st battle in the Battle Tower, and level has nothing to do with it. Blitz said it would be Battle Tower rules, so they would automatically become level 50.

Zhanton
19th April 2009, 6:10 AM
But remember this is a family match - don't you think Palmer would go easy on his son?

BlitzBlast
19th April 2009, 1:26 PM
Doesn't Cynthia have higher levels than him?

Nope. If you beat the Elite 4 twenty times in Platinum (and I think in D/P as well), your Rival becomes the strongest computer trainer in the entire series outside of the battle frontier.

By the way, Rival has actually reached Palmer. In Platinum, if you talk to him inside of your Resort House, he mentions that he battled his dad.

So Rival can indeed do well in Battle Tower.

And as for Rhyperior, Rival does have a Roserade. Or at least a Floatzel. And maybe an Infernape. Oh, and his Torterra. And don't forget Empoleon. And his Staraptor has Close Combat. Same with his Heracross. And Snorlax has Earthquake.

Palmer's pokemon:

Milotic- Rival has his Roserade, or his Torterra. And I'm pretty sure his Roserade is faster then the Milotic.
Rhyperior- Roserade/Floatzel/Infernape/Empoleon/Torterra/Staraptor/Heracross/Snorlax should do the trick.
Dragonite- His Floatzel learns Ice Fang. However, besides that, Rival has nothing.
Heatran- He has his water pokemon, and his Torterra and Snorlax have Earthquake.
Cresselia- Five out of six of his pokemon have moves super effective against Psychic.
Regigigas- It's got Slow Start. I dare say it's screwed.

In other words, Rival has a good counter for five out of six of Palmer's pokemon.

But remember this is a family match - don't you think Palmer would go easy on his son?

Unlikely. Palmer's dialogue gives the impression that he can't wait to battle his son. And seeing how similiar in personality Rival and Palmer are, I doubt they'd hold back.

Arceus, The Original One
19th April 2009, 1:41 PM
[QUOTE=BlitzBlast;9627303]Nope. If you beat the Elite 4 twenty times in Platinum (and I think in D/P as well), your Rival becomes the strongest computer trainer in the entire series outside of the battle frontier.

By the way, Rival has actually reached Palmer. In Platinum, if you talk to him inside of your Resort House, he mentions that he battled his dad.

QUOTE]

Did Barry say he won in the Resort area?
Or did he just go quiet and blasted off again?

BlitzBlast
19th April 2009, 1:50 PM
No, he states:

"How am I supposed to tell you I battled my Daddy?"

And he's in your Resort House, so he can't exactly go blasting off. You can keep talking to him again and again.

PocketmonMaster
20th April 2009, 3:04 AM
Palmer; he's got the skillz that killz and pays the billz.

That, and your rival is a push-over.

Hydrohs
20th April 2009, 3:25 AM
Nope. If you beat the Elite 4 twenty times in Platinum (and I think in D/P as well), your Rival becomes the strongest computer trainer in the entire series outside of the battle frontier.

And as for Rhyperior, Rival does have a Roserade. Or at least a Floatzel. And maybe an Infernape. Oh, and his Torterra. And don't forget Empoleon. And his Staraptor has Close Combat. Same with his Heracross. And Snorlax has Earthquake.

Well I've only battled him once post-game, before I beat the E4 a bunch of times. I'll have to go back and take a look at his team, suppose I could actually do it now. Long story short, excuse my ingorance xD

He wouldn't have all the starters though, depending on your own team his changes and stuff. So really, he might not have as big of an advantage depedning on what he has. But I see your point, I really don't know his Pokemon's moves. I rarely see them... I faint his Pokemon before he can attack.

Sceptile770
20th April 2009, 3:36 AM
That depends on what your rival will use. Though I still think Palmer owns him.

TicoPokemonMaster
20th April 2009, 4:44 AM
I still say it would be the rival because his starter pokemon will be at lv 85 and all of palmer's pokemon are at level 50. heck the way his team is he could even beat Red and his lv 81 pikachu.

Hydrohs
20th April 2009, 4:48 AM
I still say it would be the rival because his starter pokemon will be at lv 85 and all of palmer's pokemon are at level 50. heck the way his team is he could even beat Red and his lv 81 pikachu.

Did you read the first post? They would be following Battle Tower rules. Barring the fact that Palmer only fights in the Battle Tower so his Pokemon could be level 100 both of their Pokemon would be set at level 50.

TicoPokemonMaster
20th April 2009, 4:55 AM
Haha,

it looks like i acted like the rival and jump right into the conversation without fully analyzing the details.

Torterra-417
21st April 2009, 7:25 AM
^ Yeah, try not to do that. I think Palmer would win. Milotic is one incredible wall - it screwed me in Battle Tower, so I can see it screwing Rival. Rhyperior and all his others are either good walls or great attackers. Rival is going DOWN.

EDIT: I din't mean the Milotic bit like that...

Zhanton
21st April 2009, 11:41 AM
Sure, Rival does have a few counters for Palmer's pokes, but Rival's lack of strategy and sudden arrogance probably would let him down. Plus he's probably end up using Earthquake on Dragonite a few times and switching Rapidash onto Rhyperior so it can use Bounce.

(s.i.e)
21st April 2009, 11:51 AM
first the rival will lose and then after a whole lot of self pity, training, and then courage he will beat his father, it usualy goes like that in both the pokemonseries and games:P

Hydrohs
21st April 2009, 12:45 PM
first the rival will lose and then after a whole lot of self pity, training, and then courage he will beat his father, it usualy goes like that in both the pokemonseries and games:P

When has he ever beat someone after he's lost to th- wait, are you saying you lost to your rival?

mario_fan
21st April 2009, 11:28 PM
palmer would kick his crack addicted son's a**
that milotic of his was pretty annoying considering i was using a dragon team(stupid ice beam X{ ) and pearl dosent really strategize ( sunny day+solar beam is not a stratagy to me)

TyranitarFan
21st April 2009, 11:35 PM
Palmer will easily rape Retard (my rival's name)

Profesco
23rd April 2009, 2:04 AM
I hate to say it, but the Pokemon RPG rivals never really make for a tough challenge. I honestly don't think I could NOT knock the DPPt guy's Pokemon out, even if I tried. =X

At least they give Battle facility leaders some decent AI. And I do mean decent, not excellent... u_u;

Palmer'd most likely win. =/

Excitable Boy
23rd April 2009, 2:34 AM
Wait...

What three Pokemon are Rival using?

bardock the saiyan
6th July 2009, 12:06 PM
palmer.
cause he got to good pokemon.
and if I can win from my rival.
and I can't win from palmer.
than my rival cn't win from his father either.