PDA

View Full Version : Celebi & Joy! (012)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 4:56 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S14.jpgCelebi & Joy!

Richie is travelling through a bustling town where he sees that the Pokémon Center is about to get demolished by an old man. However the old Nurse Joy won't let this happen causing problems. Celebi appears and sends Richie back in time to see that they once knew eachother. Can Richie re-awaken their spirits to stop the destruction?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/014.shtml)

Discuss

Torkoal Stu
19th December 2004, 3:11 PM
This episode looks good and I thought up some nice titles.

-Time Travel Tricks-
-Time and Time Again-
-Time is Celebii-

The last one kinda sucks but its alright, I guess.

Chris
19th December 2004, 6:11 PM
Meh. This TV special was boring because of it being Hiroshi who's the main character and Celebi wasn't even really around much. :\ They did focus on Celebi, but Celebi was rarely ever on screen.

Geodude
19th December 2004, 7:26 PM
Well, you gotta give it kudos for having a unique plot though.

Shiny May
8th April 2005, 9:47 PM
I just saw this special. I have to say, the plot was really good. And this is the first time they added an old Joy in the story. Really weird to see an old Joy a few times in an episode XD Overall, I liked seeing Celebi a few times. I think it's really sweet :) And Richie was a good character too in this special imo, it was nice to see how he has been during his journey. I'd say that this was a very original special and I enjoyed watching it :)

Batdude
27th July 2005, 6:01 PM
This episode has exactly the kind of backwards quality that the Advanced generation sorely lacks. Time travel? Completely changing history?! Where can we find that nowadays?

Despite the fact that this episode featured Richie, I'll let it slide. I actually found it kinda funny. Not exactly entirely Pokémon-related, but good nonetheless. The construction workers' Pokémon were some of my faves (Scyther, Pinsir, Mchoke, Rhydon... KANTO PRIDE!) and since I never saw the 4th movie I liked seeing Celebi.

At this stage I think the writers are taking the mick having Richie riding a Ponyta. The whole 'clone' business, y'know?

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
27th July 2005, 7:17 PM
this was dodgy

Richie went back in time and altered the past, wouldnt that have made the universe collapse on itself?

did they keep celebi's dub voice? I might watch pokemon 4ever tonight to see

this overall was Ok but not great

8/10

CyberCubed
27th July 2005, 7:26 PM
Celebi kept the same voice from the movie I assume?

Gravy
27th July 2005, 7:39 PM
I haven't actually seen the dub yet, but I do know the Celebi had a different voice to the movie version in the original~
Didn't the original voice actor for the movie Celebi die or something anyway? Or have I been grossly misinformed/confusing it with Jirachi's voice actor?

MagicBox
27th July 2005, 7:49 PM
Didn't the original voice actor for the movie Celebi die or something anyway? Or have I been grossly misinformed/confusing it with Jirachi's voice actor?I could be wrong, but I don't think the original voice actor is dead. At least, it's not recorded here (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0837540/).

Batdude
27th July 2005, 8:27 PM
Ya know ShucklemasterJ, I was wonderin about that too. If the whole city didn't exist anymore, replaced by that town instead, then surely it'd mean that 1. some people might never have been born and 2. people who would have worked there would have to work and live elsewhere, completely altering the future. But hey, it's only meddling with the passage of time.

Gravy
27th July 2005, 8:34 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the original voice actor is dead. At least, it's not recorded here (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0837540/).
Ahh, thanks. I must have gotten confused with Jirachi's voice actor then~

Wait a second. If Richie had never shown up and saved Joy from plummeting down to the bottom of that cliff, then she would have most certainly died. So, how come in the future she was still alive and well?

And if Richie DID change the past, then surely all his memories of what the city used to look like would have been erased? Changing time the way he did would have meant he would never have passed through the city in the state it was formerly in.

Batdude
27th July 2005, 8:38 PM
If he'd gone back in time then he would have always been there. He would have never not gone to the past, if you get my meaning. It's like the game Timesplitters: Future Perfect. When you time travel you wouldn't experience a new past, since you are going back to the only past possible because when the past used to be the present you would have showed up, coming from the future.

Time travel. What a novel idea.

EDIT: If anyone actually understood what I was waffling about, fair play to you.

Geodude
28th July 2005, 5:20 AM
If anybody reads Archie Comics (especially the Digests), you might have occasionally come across a story that was part of a series called Jughead's Time Police. In that series, they call what Batdude just described a "time paradox".

Batdude
28th July 2005, 12:23 PM
So I wasn't way off base, and there's actually a proper term for that sort of thing? Cool.

How slow was that bolt of lightning as it was going for the shrine? Riche and Joy both had time to leap out from where they were and head for Nick before Celebi shielded the blow.

Richie handled himself against the workers very well. Is it safe to assume now that Happy has gone off with another Butterfree to mate? We haven't seen it since the Indigo League, right?

Torkoal Stu
28th July 2005, 1:10 PM
Why doesn't Richie ever use his Pupitar anymore? Its all Sparky, Rose and then Zippo. I want Pupitar more. Anyway it was very strange that the wooden Celebii was in was in the desk for 70 yaers and only Celebii and Kick knew it was there for all that time, well not Nick cause he died. Well it was very funny at the ed with Nick in the photo, also very sweet with young love ^^ But it was wierd with Richie in "normal" clothes and everybody in non normal clothes also Celebii's voice was very high but suited it very much so. Pretty good anyway!

Geodude
28th July 2005, 1:33 PM
Keep in mind that since we saw Pupitar, we've only really seen Richie send out Pokemon twice. Also, since he's a travelling trainer like Ash, there's a good chance he has many other Pokemon we've never seen.

pokeee
28th July 2005, 2:04 PM
what was the US name for the boy who was with joy and Richie in the path?

Torkoal Stu
28th July 2005, 3:20 PM
what was the US name for the boy who was with joy and Richie in the path?
Nick was his name.

Geodude
28th July 2005, 11:24 PM
Which was the same as the original.

Golden Darkness
29th July 2005, 2:04 AM
Ahh, thanks. I must have gotten confused with Jirachi's voice actor then~

Yeah, it's was Jirachi's seiyuu that passed away.

About Celebi's voice in the movie dub, it's the same as the original.

Batdude
29th July 2005, 11:40 AM
So does that mean that the person who voiced Celebi in the Japanese movie also did the dub movie, and also did it's voice for this special?

Just out of curiosity (since it crops up sometimes in other Chronicles eps) how close was this ep to the original in terms of content, conversation and such?

Dogasu
27th July 2006, 3:57 PM
To answer your question from a year ago...it's one of the least edited Chronicles episodes I've done comparisons for (aside from that Christmas special one). I should have the comparison up in a few days.

WaterDragon trainer
13th August 2006, 2:02 AM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was good. Cool to see Celebi again. It was such a shame that the workers wanted to take down the old Pokemon Center. Good ending. Just one thing. Suppose back then, Nick was a little older than Joy. Now Joy is all old. Shouldn't Nick be A LOT older than Joy in the present time?

Haruka's Swimsuit
13th August 2006, 2:05 AM
Theorizing that one could time travel within Granny Joi's lifetime, Dr. Hiroshi stepped into the Serebii accelerator and vanished...
He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing people in a town that wasn't his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Leon, a Pikachu from his own time, who appears to say Pigga instead of Pika. And so Dr. Hiroshi finds himself leaping to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next encounter with Serebii will be the leap home.

halloweenghost
13th August 2006, 2:38 AM
Best Chronicles episode to date so far IMO

The Big Al
13th August 2006, 2:40 AM
Theorizing that one could time travel within Granny Joi's lifetime, Dr. Hiroshi stepped into the Serebii accelerator and vanished...
He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing people in town that wasn't his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Leon, a Pikachu from his own time, who appears in to say Pigga instead of Pika. And so Dr. Hiroshi finds himself leaping to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next encounter with Serebii will be the leap home.
Damn. I was going to spoof Quantum Leap. Oh well.

Richie changed history and never once thought of the consequences of doing so? Shame on him.

Korobooshi Kojiro
13th August 2006, 3:06 AM
Seriously, he changed an entire town. And he saved lives.

He's like Jesus!

legendary master Jose
13th August 2006, 3:07 AM
I just saw this episode on toonami and now all of a sudden im in love with celibi ;251;

Medea
13th August 2006, 5:07 AM
Well that was a cute episode to say for the most part. Just like me, I have to fall for an episode that has a little love story thrown in there. I'm a softy for that kind of crap. But either way Nick and Joy were indeed cute.

And something I'm happy for...an actual Chronicle episode where there was no mention of Ash. This makes me very happy!

The Big Al
13th August 2006, 7:12 PM
You know, they really missed a chance to pull out all the time travel cliches. I mean, they could have at least had Richie step on a Butterfree or something.

Judai Yuki
13th August 2006, 7:14 PM
Seriously, he changed an entire town. And he saved lives.

He's like Jesus!
You could say that.=P

-Judai

wobbanut
15th August 2006, 1:33 AM
I really enjoyed this special, even more than the first Team Rocket one (which is saying something). I was a little ticked at first that they didn't run "Training Daze" like I thought they would, but the special itself more than made up for it. It had a wonderful story, very good drama, good guest characters (including Richie), and I liked seeing Celebi again.

I definitely give this special a 10/10. I hope TD airs next week, though, I've been DYING to see that.

Ash's Pika Pal
17th August 2006, 12:31 AM
I liked this episode more then most of the other chronicals episodes. IMO it was a pretty good episode, I'll give it a 9/10.

Lord Ike
25th August 2006, 6:57 PM
Wait a second. If Richie had never shown up and saved Joy from plummeting down to the bottom of that cliff, then she would have most certainly died. So, how come in the future she was still alive and well?

Shortly after Richie saved Joy, he met Nick. So I assume that Nick would have saved Joy if Richie wasn't there.

GoggleHead
16th September 2006, 6:07 AM
This was a pretty cool Episode. It wasn't very logical that the Lightning was hitting in one general area. Maybe it was the Shrine that had the God-like power to control it, but I digress. The City kinda looked good both ways, you know, Metropolitan with Pollution and the Peaceful up and coming town.

GoldSilverCrys
14th October 2006, 4:07 AM
Just saw this in the US. This episode was good. Cool to see Celebi again.Yayz! Celebi!!!!!! Finally!!!!!

I liked this episode more then most of the other chronicals episodes. IMO it was a pretty good episode, I'll give it a 9/10.IMO- this is the best ep - after LoT of course (in jap-obviously)

Francesc
7th November 2006, 2:04 PM
I really liked Serebii, it's my favorite poke. I liked too when Richie travelled to the past, and the way he solved the problems. Serebii should have joined him, IMO.

Battra
28th November 2006, 12:07 AM
Nice little time travel episode with Richie, also Joy looks cute as a kid. It was also very interesting to see the differences in the Joy outfits in the different time periods.

Charigan_666
24th January 2007, 9:52 PM
i personaly found this episode a bit of a let down purely because celebi was bearly seen!

angrykid
11th February 2007, 11:43 AM
i knew the the bit when nick went to the party. richie[looks like ash`s bro]
then whent off with ponyta. before the landslide killed him! it was the same landslide that killed nick! but luckily richie changed history . and he said where
he lives.
P.S i know all that because i have the dvd of it!

d_dan_n
7th April 2008, 7:28 PM
I liked this episode, even though we didn't see much Celebi

Lorde
18th January 2010, 7:52 PM
Another Richie episode? At least it included some interesting new plot-twists and Celebi this time.

Time travel in the anime? It's not such a good idea in my opinion. It only makes bad episodes even worse by adding in something that solves all the problems.

Too much ex deus machina for me :/ 1/10

Ash-kid
27th January 2010, 1:42 PM
Richie saved the day, well done. To be honest, this episode was not so good because was not action. I loved to see the workers's pokemon, Pinsir and Rhydon, together.

6/10

Willow's Tara
25th June 2010, 12:30 PM
It's not too much of a bad episode really. It was okay and good to see Richie, but when he saved Joy after being sent to the past wouldn't that mean he changed the past? Who saved Nurse Joy if it hadn't been Richie before?.

I am glad they changed time though

Hikari Paradise
21st July 2010, 9:36 PM
This was my favorite episode of Chronicles. A sad story rewritten with a happy ending. A bit cliche' but always heartwarming.

G50
1st March 2011, 1:57 PM
This episode was good. It was cool seeing Richie go back in time to help save Nick from a terrible fate. He made sure Nick was at Joy's birthday party, and then in the future, it saved the Pokemon Center from going down and kept Nick and Joy in the town and not with Nick gone. The carved statue was very cool.

68/100

AquaMilotic
6th August 2011, 6:33 PM
I am a big fan of Celebi, so that's a reason to like this episode to me. It was also good to see Ritchie again. Also funny to see an older and a younger Nurse Joy.

Also good to see Nick being the mayor at the end of the episode. I didn't expect that at all.

I like most of the chronicles episodes, and this is great. 10/10.

TheSirPeras
20th June 2012, 10:39 PM
I am not usually a big fan of chronicles... but I really liked this one!! Celebi had a cool appearance, plus we got to listen to that song before Richie left the future... I really liked this, 10/10!!

ForgottenPearl
9th July 2012, 2:36 AM
I wasn’t expecting this episode to be anything special, but it actually turned out to be one of my favorite Chronicles episodes. First off, I liked the “joy of urban life” gag right near the beginning. I also like how Ritchie was such a clever tough guy when dealing with the construction workers.

This episode actually fleshed out a few Nurse Joys, something that almost no other episode does. The time travel aspect was used well. Nick was a very likable character: it was cute how he denied his crush. I liked his comment about carpentry: “I’m having trouble nailing it.” Plus, it’s easy to empathize with someone scared that they aren’t good enough for the object of his affection. He certainly proved himself to Joy. I was surprised, though, that they never clearly stated what became of their relationship.

It was also neat that Ritchie changed the future city so much by saving Nick. This shows how just small changes can really transform the future. And I’m starting to like Ritchie more.

Also, I want to point out that, in 19 minutes, Pokémon told a better love story than Stephanie Meyer did in 4 novels. I mean that literally: Joy and Nick’s cute relationship was very touching.

Awesome episode.