PDA

View Full Version : Journey To The Starting Line! (014)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:58 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/S15.jpgJourney to the Starting Line!

Its the day when Gilbert gets his first Pokémon in Oak's Lab. However as he's deciding whether to pick them or not, some ruckus occurs in the lab and the three starters run off. Its up to Oak, Gilbert, Tracey and Mrs. Ketchum to find them. Can they?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/specials/015.shtml)

Discuss

ŁańkaŃ
24th October 2004, 11:31 PM
I wonder does could Ash know this person...and wasn't that other Bulbasaur Ash's. I did really like this one...but since Delia, Tracey were seen...it was ok.

I don't understand why they don't air these here...

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 11:31 PM
I really want to see this episode, it looks really good. Ash Bulbsaur makes an appearance aswell which is great!
It was a good idea of Hijime to choose a Bulbasaur as his starter.

ŁańkaŃ
24th October 2004, 11:32 PM
True...Bulbasaur...is a good choice from the 3 starter...if he was to go throught the path of battling those 8 kanto gym leader...but i'd say...that also Charmander is good, as i has 2 types later...but...it has a huge disadvantage against...ROCK...

Gigi
24th October 2004, 11:38 PM
I wonder does could Ash know this person...

Ehh. Masara's a small town. I'm sure they all know eachother and are fairly close.
Hajime was cute! n.n- *wander*

ŁańkaŃ
24th October 2004, 11:40 PM
Ehh. Masara's a small town. I'm sure they all know eachother and are fairly close.
Hajime was cute! n.n- *wander*

yea...u probaly right...who knows...only if they would air this in dubbed english..we'd know a lot more...

ChaosMage
25th October 2004, 2:15 PM
Depending on Ash's age, he could have known Hajime quite well, he is only 10 while Ash should be 14/15 by now

Chris
25th October 2004, 2:57 PM
You don't need to have it dubbed to learn about the special. There's a link to the summary at the top for a reason. o_O And I liked seeing how pretty much all of Satoshi's Pokémon that he left behind at Oak's from Kanto and Johto made an appearance. Totodile dancing even while being knocked in the air is priceless. x_x

Ketsuban
27th October 2004, 10:18 PM
Why does Hajime's bio on SPP call him "she"?

Heracross
13th November 2004, 4:39 PM
I thought this episode was very good. I really liked seeing all of Ash's old pokémon hanging around at Oak's lab. Bulbasaur was really cool in this episode. I've always been a fan of Ash's Bulbasaur and getting to see it throughout the whole episode was definately a bonus. We also get to see Delia's Mr. Mime use a his psychic attack for the first time. The only thing he's ever done is use barrier, so seeing him do something else was cool. It was also cool to see a new trainer starting out in his journey, we very seldom get to see that.

That Scary Clefairy
14th November 2004, 4:31 AM
Yea lets see him try to fight off against Gym leaders like Giovanni, lt. Surge and Sabrina. And see if he can find Blaine's Gym lol.

Crystal Latios
15th November 2004, 9:30 AM
This little boy is adorable. One thing I don`t like, why did he take a Bulbasaur. Its getting boring. Every young trainer takes a Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur with Haimie, Bulbasaur with May. I belive, writers are in love with it, but Charmander or Squirtle are cool too.

Geodude
15th November 2004, 3:07 PM
Well Bulbasaur was instrumental in this episode, and after Hajime had been through all of that, especially the part where Ash's Bulbasaur saved them from those Primeape, Hajime would've gained a new respect for all Pokemon, not just evolved ones. (Originally, he only wanted a Torchic, and only because it evolves into Blaziken.)

Heracross
15th November 2004, 9:44 PM
So that's what he was saying, I thought he was just being rude.XD

Geodude
16th November 2004, 4:24 PM
Yeah he went there expecting the Hoenn starters, but Oak had to explain that they only give the Kanto starters in Pallet. Initially, Hajime didn't like any of them and thought Pokemon were only any good when fully evolved. Of course, as we know, Ash's Bulbasaur put an end to THAT little notion. ;)

Gravy
10th August 2005, 6:06 PM
"Hurry Tracey! If Charmander's tail flame goes out, it won't be able to battle anymore!"

I had to laugh at that one.

Alfonso
10th August 2005, 6:09 PM
...I'm not sure whether you find that funny because of the dodgyness, or the fact that it's another one of those death cover ups. :/ Or the fact that Oak is basically saying that not being able to battle is the worst thing EVER.

Gravy
10th August 2005, 6:41 PM
...I'm not sure whether you find that funny because of the dodgyness, or the fact that it's another one of those death cover ups. :/ Or the fact that Oak is basically saying that not being able to battle is the worst thing EVER.
Trust me Alfonso, if there's ever any sort of dodgyness in this show, I can guarantee you that I'll probably be one of the last to pick it up. 'Cause I'm slow like that :P
So yes, it being a blatant death cover up was why I laughed. And the fact that Delia said it like it was of the utmost urgency.

Alfonso
10th August 2005, 6:43 PM
Trust me Alfonso, if there's ever any sort of dodgyness in this show, I can guarantee you that I'll probably be one of the last to pick it up. 'Cause I'm slow like that :P
So yes, it being a blatant death cover up was why I laughed. And the fact that Delia said it like it was of the utmost urgency.

"If Charmander gets it's TAIL WET it won't be able to battle anymore!"

What else that is like a 'tail' becomes useless when 'wet' and can't do a certain something anymore? :x

Oh, Delia. I thought it would have been Oak or something. x_x

Almighty Zard
10th August 2005, 6:48 PM
This little boy is adorable. One thing I don`t like, why did he take a Bulbasaur. Its getting boring. Every young trainer takes a Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur and Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur with Haimie, Bulbasaur with May. I belive, writers are in love with it, but Charmander or Squirtle are cool too.

May's was to premote FR/LG, and as for Hajime, the writers obviously went by the whole "Grass being easiest Kanto Starter" crud.

Alfonso
10th August 2005, 6:50 PM
May's was to premote FR/LG, and as for Hajime, the writers obviously went by the whole "Grass being easiest Kanto Stater" crud.

...I'd say that Hajime's was also to promote FR/LG.

CyberCubed
10th August 2005, 9:56 PM
Hajime should have gotten Charmander...too bad the writers didn't know that May would get the other two starters eventually.

I hate to say it, but Charmander really is the most neglected Kanto starter. I never though I'd say that.

Blaziken master
10th August 2005, 10:13 PM
I really liked this episode I got it in my triple DVD pack which I got in Argos.
I liked the part at the start where cydnaquil torched the entire tauros herd and they smashed through the lab.I also noticed the squirtle had the voice of a magby.

Alfonso
10th August 2005, 10:33 PM
I really liked this episode I got it in my triple DVD pack which I got in Argos.
I liked the part at the start where cydnaquil torched the entire tauros herd and they smashed through the lab.I also noticed the squirtle had the voice of a magby.

...Uh.... o__o

The Triple Pack is out already in the UK? :O

Blaziken master
10th August 2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah I got it instore for Ł12.99.But anyway back on topic,I noticed they cut the scene at the start with heracross climbing up the start.

Heracross
10th August 2005, 10:42 PM
They did WHAT?! >:O Heracross already gets shafted enough, now f*cking 4Kids cuts him? What the hell?

Blaziken master
10th August 2005, 10:45 PM
I agree completely,heracross is one of my favourites what with the whole"heracoo!!"

Gravy
11th August 2005, 1:34 AM
I hate to say it, but Charmander really is the most neglected Kanto starter. I never though I'd say that.
It was only featured in the episode for a minute at best too XP The other two starters got more time on screen than that wet tailed blighter~

I also noticed the squirtle had the voice of a magby.
...I wasn't going to say anything about that earlier, as I'd assumed it had that voice in the recent-ish Advanced Challenge episode featuring the 3 starters :/
I wonder why they used a different voice actor. Even more importantly, I wonder if thats the voice that all Squirtle's, including Ash's, are going to have now. They altered Snorlax, so I can't see why they wouldn't do the the same to the water-type~

Man, I'm imagining that voice on Haruka's Squirtle right now, and it t'aint purdy. Funny, but ugly.

Medea
11th August 2005, 3:49 PM
Hey, because I don't live in the UK, I don't know diddly-squat so I wanna ask this. What is Hajime's dub name?

Gravy
11th August 2005, 4:13 PM
Hey, because I don't live in the UK, I don't know diddly-squat so I wanna ask this. What is Hajime's dub name?
...his name is on the first page of this thread.

CyberCubed
11th August 2005, 5:36 PM
...I wasn't going to say anything about that earlier, as I'd assumed it had that voice in the recent-ish Advanced Challenge episode featuring the 3 starters :/

Well the Squirtle in that episode sounded like Ash's Squirtle. I guess whoever dubbed the Chronicles episodes were too lazy to check the main series to see what Squirtle sounds like.

I imagine May's might sound like Ash's, unless they try to make it sound more babish or cutesy or whatnot.

Geki
11th August 2005, 6:07 PM
Is there a way I can buy the Triple Pack for Chronicles, even though I live in America? I really want to see the Chronicles Episodes. Hajime has a cool Bulbasaur, but I would have rather have him have a Charmander, it's too neglected. Besides, Hajime worships Ash so you'd think he would get a Charmander to evolve into a Charizard like Ash has.

Blaziken master
11th August 2005, 6:18 PM
Also a weird thing came up.The old lady said that someone saw the bulbasaur in a place filled with mankey,then when they got there,they noticed they were primeape.Wonder why they did that?By the way did anybody hear what the tune was playing on the loudspeaker?

Geodude
11th August 2005, 10:07 PM
If you actually bothered to listen, they explained it right in the episode. The characters commented on it and said something like "that's an easy mistake to make"...maybe it was because the person only saw them from a distance.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
15th August 2005, 3:00 PM
this is one of the best episodes yet

Gilbert only chose Bulbasaur because Ash's saved him and the starter bulbasaur was with him most of the time.

But Charmander didnt have enough screen time......

Medea
10th March 2006, 12:17 AM
Gee, what a nice kid...>_>

Saw the episode early this morning and boy did Gilbert get on my last nerve. I was expecting him to have a voice like Max's. But that's just me. Now that old woman with the big mouth was pretty funny. And of course, I had to watch this since it had my sweet Tracey (not so sweet when he got p*ssed off at Gilbert) but it was great to watch!

So all in all, good episode!

Ashy Boy
21st July 2006, 1:31 PM
This is one of fewest Pokemon eps in which there are no real villains at all.

WaterDragon trainer
27th August 2006, 12:59 AM
This episode was good. It was pretty funny with that chain reaction in the beginning. It was funny when Muk got attached to Tracey. I thought the Mayor's son was REALLY annoying. Good to see Delia's Mr. Mime use an attack. It was kinda funny when Oak was trying to confront the Primeape. Kinda cool that the Primeape got intimidated by Ash's Bulbasaur's Solar Beam.

C.J. Ray
27th August 2006, 5:07 AM
Yeah, the whole thing was neat. In the original, Hajime wasn't anyone's son, he was a boy just like Ash. They never mentioned his parents in the original. (Or so Dogasu said.)

Mandi.
27th August 2006, 5:29 AM
Wow that Gilbert kid should have got smacked. I seriously thought Tracey was about to kill him..oh was that funny how ticked off he got xD

I knew he was gonna pick Bulbasaur since Ash's Bubasaur was with him like the whole episode and you could tell he was surprised when Bulbasaur saved him. But one point I thought he was gonna pick Squirtle with the whole part of him trying to get Squirtle to come out of it's shell and then how it looked like the two really liked each other. Poor Charmander got hardly any attention. Tracey saved it from the water..done with Charmander. =[

But anyways, this was great episode that I really enjoyed.

DarkWobbuffet
28th August 2006, 8:01 AM
Meh. The opening part with Satoshi's old Pokemon was the main highlight of the episode, the rest of it was very boring and lackluster. I bet about 99% of the people who watched this episode wanted to smack around Hajime... the last 1% are the people without hands.

I was pretty imrpessed by Kenji and Hanako-chan's Barrierd though. Such rarely seen characters in this day and age getting decent spotlight.

wobbanut
29th August 2006, 1:58 AM
Ugh, I really didn't like this special very much. It was the worst since the Raikou special. At least the first two Professor oak specials were interesting, but this one didn't even have Butch and Cassidy (and here I was complaining two weeks ago about being bored of seeing them all they time, they at least make the Professor Oak specials interesting). The mayor's son was annoying, but at least he changed by the end. I do think his voice was a little mature for his character, but at least the thing about him being the son of a politician seemed to fit with his personality. I liked how angry Bulbasaur got when the guy complained about Kanto starters. LOL The charmander was cute too.

Overall, 5/10. At least this weekend we have GARY!!! :D I'm definitely looking forward to that.

AnnaCorners
29th August 2006, 3:15 PM
Well I liked the Episode just cause it had Ash's Mom in it and she's my 2nd favorite Trainer. I HATE WITH A PASSION the Gilbert kid, and who might I ask names their child Gilbert?

Francesc
9th November 2006, 12:36 PM
That Gilbert kid is very annoying, you know. He doesn't deserve to have a Fushigidane, inestead, he should have a koratta. Anyway, I liked when the Tauros went mad, and that's all. I give it a 5/10

Umbreon_moon
18th November 2006, 1:46 AM
"Why don't I just take Ash's Bulbasaur?" Man that kid's annoying. Tracey has the right to yell at him

Battra
30th November 2006, 4:07 PM
I love this episode since we get to see more of Pallet town than just Ash's house and Oak's lab, other than this episode I do believe the 1st episode of the Pokemon series show more of Pallet town.

d_dan_n
7th April 2008, 6:32 PM
I thought this episode was great! but that kid, Gilbert, was so annoying!

Blue Snover
9th October 2008, 10:59 AM
That kid was really obnoxious, i want this and i want that, take what you're offered kid and be happy with that.

Ash-kid
27th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Gilbert is a really annoying kid. He really has no confidence to start the journey, If not Bulbasaur he was crushed by the Primeape. I loved how Ash's Bulbasaur behaved, he really showed how matured it is.

7.5/10

Willow's Tara
26th June 2010, 2:21 AM
It was an okay episode, I liked how the past characters still reference Ash (Obviously Delia would lol) but not completely forgotten about him.. Gilbert is a bit annoying, oh yeah let's take Ash's Bulbasaur even if the little one was actually safe you wouldn't be taking it, glad the mayor doesn't have much influence apparently on what he gets, can you imagine poor Ash?

"Oh hey Prof Oak, I need Bulbasaur for the Battle Frontier, can you transfer him over?"

"Uh well you see Ash.. The mayor's son wanted your Bulbasaur and the mayor made me give it to him, but you can use Bayleef"

Ash: 0.0 "Bulbasaur!, I am getting my Bulbasaur back!" *Runs to finds Gilbert to find Bulbasaur has been forced to evolve into Venasaur by Gilbert "Bulbasaur!" *Cries*

G50
1st March 2011, 3:05 PM
This episode was ok... Man, Gilbert was really annoying for most of this episode, but did start understanding Pokemon better as the episode went on. Bulbasaur's Vine Whips figures looked really cool and very realistic. Bulbasaur's reactions to what Gilbert was saying were priceless! The old woman was hilarious and annoying all at the same time!

47/100

AquaMilotic
8th January 2012, 4:27 PM
I bet about 99% of the people who watched this episode wanted to smack around Hajime... the last 1% are the people without hands.

I totally agree with you!

This one was enjoyable. Gilbert was horrible with his horrible attitude, but as the episode progressed, he got less annoying and started to learn what it means to be a Pokemon trainer. That old woman who told everything she promised to not do was horrible and annoying. Ash's Bulbasaur had a great role in this episode. Nice to see Tracey and Ash's mother.

10/10.

Caseydia
1st March 2012, 2:20 AM
People sometimes forget in how bad most trainers act when they start out. I think it shows more character when they learn from their mistakes and get better. This is why I still love Ash.

ForgottenPearl
23rd July 2012, 1:33 AM
Another great Chronicles episode. They sure did a good job at making Gilbert come off as an annoying piss ant right from the start. And, the sad part is, I know some people who are like that all the time, so I can’t say he was unrealistic. -_- Besides, his cocky attitude was funny, and it gave him room to grow.

It was interesting to hear that Ash has a good reputation: usually, he’s just a nobody despite placing high in different tournaments and winning in the Orange Islands.

The old woman was a funny character. I especially appreciated the “rap-ish” tone of her announcement.

I noticed that they said Charmander wouldn’t be able to battle if its tail went out. Guess 4Kids didn’t feel comfortable using the word die again. And I liked how Ash’s mom and Tracey worked well together when saving that cute little Charmander. Ash’s mom knew how to handle Mr. Mime well.

It was funny to see what a coward Gilbert was after all that boasting. Plus, Oak saving Squirtle and Bulbasaur saving Oak was amusing—not to mention it showed their teamwork. These episodes really do give Professor Oak and Bulbasaur more character.

The little Bulbasaur was super cute during the flashbacks of it running about, especially when it was blending in as a figurine. :) The scene with the Primeape managed to be funny and compelling, especially when Ash’s Bulbasaur was willing to put itself into danger.

Gilbert sure reformed fast, but I guess that’s inevitable when you only have a nineteen-minute episode to introduce him and have his story take place. It was nice to see him open up to that Squirtle and then to the Bulbasaur.

And they’re right: the bond between a trainer and their first Pokémon is special. :)

Oh, and... What happened to the Tauros? They burst through the fence, right...? Guess we’re supposed to assume they came back on their own, unless I missed something. Not a big deal, though.