PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't suck when you realize the Pokemon you love stink?

Azereus
25th May 2009, 3:41 AM
Some of my favourite Pokemon include Pidgeot, Blastoise and Feraligatr but all these Pokemon have been described as lackluster in the games and are outclassed by stronger, faster and overall better Pokemon in competitive battling. I think Pidgeot is the best looking bird Pokemon but if I use him I'll be destroyed by someone else.

I almost wish the game developers would make the slick lookin' Pomemon stronger than their ugly counterparts.

Just my two cents..

Pokefan0234
25th May 2009, 6:06 PM
Pidgeot, Blastoise, and Feraligatr are actually pretty good Pokemon. Feraligatr can hold its own pretty well in battles. Blastoise has good defense as well. And Pidgeot is fast enough to get a few strikes in.

But yes, it does suck if your favorite Pokemon stink. Quilava is bad, but... you'll never see that in competitive battling.

PKMN Trainer Oz
25th May 2009, 6:12 PM
i totally agree, i miss the early days everything was simple, and i could actually use a raichu or a furret without feeling my butt was gonna be handed to me

Flurried Rains
25th May 2009, 7:17 PM
Who cares if they stink? Battle with them anyway. It's not like you're going to have any less fun than fighting with the same Pokemon as everyone else. The fun is in finding ways that you can use your favorite Pokemon to win. I don't do much competitive battling but that's what I do when I actually do battle. ^^

PKMN Trainer Oz
25th May 2009, 7:21 PM
Who cares if they stink? Battle with them anyway. It's not like you're going to have any less fun than fighting with the same Pokemon as everyone else. The fun is in finding ways that you can use your favorite Pokemon to win. I don't do much competitive battling but that's what I do when I actually do battle. ^^

You can't just bring any pkmn into a battle and think that just because they're your favorite you have a chance to win. Pokemon isn't a game of underdogs triumphing, it's about numbers.

coolespeon
26th May 2009, 2:06 AM
Yes, I like pidgeot too, and it was terrible when a friend saw it on my team at a wi-fi battle and laughed. Then, my brother laughes at blaziken because he says it´s very slow, but I do have a blaziken with 31 in HP, attack, sp. attack, and 22 in the others.

Beotium
26th May 2009, 7:04 PM
At least you can use your favorites for ingame battles..And in Platinum the addition of the battle hall is almost the coolest thing you could do, as every PKMN can make a streak for itself.

Rakurai
26th May 2009, 8:33 PM
And in Platinum the addition of the battle hall is almost the coolest thing you could do, as every PKMN can make a streak for itself.

It's a pity that it's also the only facility where you're completely forced to use a select few Pokemon if you want to have any hope of getting the prints.

RED_EYES_BLACK_CHARIZARD
26th May 2009, 8:56 PM
yea it sucks cuz i love shiny charizard but every time i battle with it i get owend when i use other pokemon i win but with charizard i loose allot

also it sucks taht i cant use quilava or totodile lol

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
26th May 2009, 8:59 PM
One word: Pachi-freakin-risu

one of my favourite pokémon, but it sucks xD

suicune lover
26th May 2009, 9:18 PM
You can't just bring any pkmn into a battle and think that just because they're your favorite you have a chance to win. Pokemon isn't a game of underdogs triumphing, it's about numbers.
But you can always win with your favorites.
If you do thing right, you can win with any pokemon. And teirs are just silly. Battle with who you like, its a game.

BynineB
26th May 2009, 9:32 PM
But you can always win with your favorites.
If you do thing right, you can win with any pokemon. And teirs are just silly. Battle with who you like, its a game.

no. just no.

Flaaffy, Magcargo, Surskit.. WHY? Why do you have to be so bad? I love you!

Averyy
26th May 2009, 9:34 PM
I'm sure with enough skill people could win with their favorites.. but I was very sad when I found out that Marowak was so slow :(

Flurried Rains
26th May 2009, 9:50 PM
"You can't just bring any pkmn into a battle and think that just because they're your favorite you have a chance to win. Pokemon isn't a game of underdogs triumphing, it's about numbers."

With the right strategy you can win with them. If they aren't at their final evolution just challenge a friend to a battle with specifications on that or something so the game can be fair. The game is made to be fun, not so that you can breed some generic, overused Pokemon and train them to be just like everyone else's simply so you can win. And who cares if you lose? It's a Pokemon battle. :P

LordVader2719
26th May 2009, 10:14 PM
I use my favorites in-game, but not usually competitively.

Yes, with the right strategy you can win. I've beaten plenty of strong Pokémon with my weaker Pokémon.

pokemaster001
26th May 2009, 10:32 PM
only when they look cooler in 2nd stage, like quilava and grovyle and buizel
I use Bibarel and Leafeon regardless of their stats, I also use Lucario and Staraptor regardless of their popularity

WynautQueen
26th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Ha, stink? My Mawile knocked out a Deoxys 20 levels higher than it with his sucker punch.

Tiers are a good general guide, but there's no reason to be restricted by what's common in competitive play and what isn't.

pokemonron2
27th May 2009, 12:34 AM
my 2 favorite pokemon are darkrai and lugia. IDK why but their so cool

pokemonron2
27th May 2009, 12:36 AM
my 2 favorite pokemon are darkrai and lugia. IDK why but their so cool

TogeticTheRuler
27th May 2009, 4:44 AM
Ha, stink? My Mawile knocked out a Deoxys 20 levels higher than it with his sucker punch.

Tiers are a good general guide, but there's no reason to be restricted by what's common in competitive play and what isn't.

Practically anything can hurt Deoxys because of its horrible defense

Jolley
27th May 2009, 5:08 PM
Well, with the right stragety you can beat a team of ubers with a Magikarp, look on youtube, its been done.

League
27th May 2009, 5:47 PM
Pachirisu has Pick-up, and thus it is always useful to carry around. Anyway, if a pokemon is weak but has Endeavor, it's not that bad--especially if it resists hail or sand. HM pokemon are useful too. And I'm sure that any pokemon can dominate in a contest (paying no mind to Smeargle who can beat anything). Quilava has Typhlosion: use it. As for Magcargo, he has some decent stats if he has sand support.

As for some other pokemon like Charizard, Stealth Rock really cuts down the number of times they can switch it, and thus the number of sets they can use. Just send him in on a faint against a slow opponent and Roost (not saying that it's a good strategy or the way to use it, just that it's the most updated, forced way to do so).

TurtwigFan1
27th May 2009, 5:52 PM
I use my favourite Pokémon, but I train them hard now. For example, I'm EV training a Roserade. I'm gonna make sure it has perfect IVs in the stats I want, a great moveset, the right nature etc. You can use your favourites, you just have to put the extra effort in. (I think Roserade's UU or NU)

League
27th May 2009, 6:00 PM
Roserade is decent, just needs a good Hidden Power. Like I said elsewhere, some pokemon are far more viable on Shoddy, due to a) IV's/EV's being such an easy thing, and, b) some pokemon being so common (partly due to a)).

1dev13
27th May 2009, 6:12 PM
My favorite Pokemon is Torchic, but I like the evolutions also because, if you don't evolve Torchic, you don't have that great of attacks...

noobiess
27th May 2009, 6:15 PM
Yes... most bugpokemon stink and I like them :(

Kaori
27th May 2009, 7:44 PM
Well some say that grass types are very weak but I disagree. I like them very much and sure some are a bit weak but you could always EV train and use the right strageties to prove they are strong.

electivirus92
27th May 2009, 7:54 PM
well i use my personal faves

togekiss

moltres

infernape

torterra

empoleon and staraptor (WIN)

yup my diamond guys and youtube celebs

PsychedelicJellyfish
27th May 2009, 9:31 PM
I've always liked Ampharos (I had one in Gold), but learned in the Battle Frontier in Emerald that it can't always cut it against Pokémon of the same level. If only it was faster...

serebiifreak
27th May 2009, 10:07 PM
I hate it when that happens. I thought the pokemon I use it against a trainer and it gets pwned easily.

Displeased Owl
27th May 2009, 10:23 PM
i think this was certainly viable in the first few generations where some pokemon often had very shallow and/or lacking movepools e.g. dewgong. a good example is the ever elusive sneasel in gen2. as soon as i saw my rival packing one i had to find out where to get one. when i finally do i see it barely had any moves that suited it's high attack and it went down pretty easily. now in gen 4 with all the tier malarkey and physical/special split, a lot of previously unusable pokes have become viable in their own right i.e. sneasel and weavile, so in my opinion this sort of problem isn't as common anymore. of course when you bring competitive battling into the equation a lot of pokemon seem to pale in comparison to a lot of others.

i totally agree with one of the previous posters who said that some of the slick looking pokes are often quite bad or lacking in power, when their uglier counterparts can tear things to pieces.

encas
27th May 2009, 10:53 PM

True, but IMO that's why tiers exist.

As for me, a lot of my favorites suck or are at least somewhat lackluster. Let's see...Phione, Entei, Armaldo, Xatu, Delcatty...those are just from the top of my head.

And if you a Pokemon that much, feel free to use it! Like I said, tiers exist to keep the game balanced. So bring out you Ledian, Delcatty, and Delibird; they may be horrid compared to others, but they have their place too!

Concept
27th May 2009, 11:07 PM
I had this moment when using Kricketune in diamond. I used it once in the Elite four, where it lost mano a mano against Flints Lopunny (fire punch spam vs brick break spam). Then when I reached Cynthia, it revenge killed Spiritomb (who'd taken down my two best pokes Kadabra and Weaville, and was at half when I bought Kricketune out), then followed it up by defeating Milotic mano a mano immediately after.

Alloute
27th May 2009, 11:14 PM
No, why would you love data and pixels in the first place?

Don't you have friends?

I really couldn't care less, all the Pokemon I train are winners.

diamond trainer
28th May 2009, 4:56 AM
it really doesnt matter and besides if you take the time to train them correctly your favorites would actually be pretty decent. Ive fought with alot of my favorite and most of them turned out good.

League
28th May 2009, 6:33 AM
Kricketune is the one pokemon who can put a pokemon to sleep and False Swipe, unless you count maybe Breloom or Parasect. But hey, the cricket is far more accessible. If it's useable, use it, and if it's likeable, like it. No need to put something where it doesn't belong. Some are find just sitting in your party, some are incredibly useful, some are battle-able with.

And alot of pokemon are far more competitive than people think. Cleffa, for goodness's sake, can trade even (slightly pulling up before the revenge sets in) with a pokemon.

80's Rocker
28th May 2009, 3:15 PM
Just use your favorites anyway. I use my favorites in a team and as long as you strategise right you can win. My favorite its Charizard that is most of the time outclassed by Infernape, but I use Charizard anyway because its alot mor fun to try and win with what you want then with what everyone else is using..

coolminun
28th May 2009, 3:33 PM
yeah it does. I mean, i can use minun for baton passing, but I don't like it. I believe in his offensive powers and I refuse to utilize him only as a supporter.

Virtuos
28th May 2009, 3:52 PM
well, battling against ubers with those so-called 'lack-lustered' pokemon and winning makes me wanna rage out of joy. lol, ubers < mid evos

espeon13x
28th May 2009, 6:35 PM
i use my favorites such as my espeon, he may not be the strongest psychic pokemon i have ( i also have a high level azelf) but i love espeons always have always will, and im going to have a ninetails in my party i know hes not the strongest but ninetalis are sweet

Omastar ftw!
28th May 2009, 6:49 PM
...it kinda does.....

though i LOVE PROBOPASS TO DEATH!!!....its not much good in competitive battling.....unless you know how to use it...

Missingno. Master
28th May 2009, 7:03 PM
Not really, all the Pokemon I favor tend to do rather well in battle. Weezing, Qwilfish, Kingler, Dunsparce, Beedrill.... They're all good.

Elrade
28th May 2009, 7:17 PM
Luxray may have a pretty poor movepool because of the lack of good physical Electric type moves, but when you got one with Rain Dance and Thunder it still packs a punch.

Dragodynamite
28th May 2009, 7:36 PM
The fact that Volbeat sucks breaks my heart ;_;

Profesco
28th May 2009, 7:46 PM
It serves me right for not noticing how bad my darling Muk stunk until we got up to the altar.

Love blinds, kids, but it also disables the sense of smell. ;_;

MustGetPlatinum
28th May 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm just lucky. I just happen to love Pokemon that excel competitively. Infernape, Blissey, various other Tanks and Pseudo-Legendaries, etc.

Captain Noob
28th May 2009, 10:24 PM
It is a bit annoying knowing that your favourite Pok&#233;mon will normally get completely ownzored by stronger ones. I can't see why Game Freak hadn't made the game as balanced; I know getting a balance is right is always tough but honestly, some Pok&#233;mon don't come close. I mean, who uses Pok&#233;mon like Butterfree anymore? OK, some people will because they like it, me too, but outside the first two Gyms it sucks, let alone in a competitive/strong AI battle. I think most last-stage Pok&#233;mon should have some decent fighting chance. Another example is the starters; each type tie for the same base stats, and yet Pok&#233;mon like Infernape are somehow superior.

It's great when you can battle a friend and negotiate rules to get an even footing, but when playing over the Battle Tower, it's easy to get smooshed. I like the diversity of the number of Pok&#233;mon, but its become too dilute. Back in the first gen, you could use anything you liked because the balance was fairer; heck, you could use a Pikachu, but now there's so many options some cool-looking Pok&#233;mon get beaten back. In fact, the only Pok&#233;mon people like that's been made "good" is Pikachu; it's better in ways than Raichu. I mean, Charizard was always great, but now it's been shadowed. Unfortunate.

iAmDewgong
28th May 2009, 10:35 PM
> Ha, stink? My Mawile knocked out a Deoxys 20 levels higher than it with his sucker punch.

I was actually going to say something like "Lol, I remember when someone said he knocked out a Deoxys with some NU-guy with a priority move, that must've been hard"

Treecko Girl
28th May 2009, 10:44 PM
If one really loves a Pokémon, then it never sucks, no matter how many times it looses.
Trust me, my favourite is Treecko.

yaminokame
28th May 2009, 11:48 PM
I liked how Sunflora looked, so I decided to train one, which was a big mistake lol... I actually managed to get it to level 100, but the thing is so slow it's criminal :D I don't think it ever passed 100 speed stats @_@

EDIT: There we go lol... The poor thing never did exceed 100 speed stat points :( It topped off at 75 lol...

Dragon Rules
29th May 2009, 2:10 AM
I liked how Sunflora looked, so I decided to train one, which was a big mistake lol... I actually managed to get it to level 100, but the thing is so slow it's criminal :D I don't think it ever passed 100 speed stats @_@

EDIT: There we go lol... The poor thing never did exceed 100 speed stat points :( It topped off at 75 lol...
Since Sunflora is so slow, you should use it in a trick-room. Slower is faster while trick-room is in effect. Plus Sunfloras are pretty cool and have good stats except for its speed.

Ludi-Cola
29th May 2009, 3:01 AM
My favorite pokemon is Meowth. He'll never be much of a battler (so I box him before a major fight) but as a travel partner he makes sure I'm never short on cash or good TMs.
I'm proud of all my pokes tho, regardless of their usefulness. Even the ones that lack good abilities or stats, I may end up whoring out at the Day Care Center so I have new eggs to hatch. Probly 80% of my GTS offers are lvl 9 and under.

Cassiel
29th May 2009, 3:03 AM
I love Ponyta and Rapidash, but they turned out to be very mediocre and so-so in competitive battling. Training them was really hard at first >___>

Alloute
29th May 2009, 3:09 AM
My favorite pokemon is Meowth. He'll never be much of a battler (so I box him before a major fight) but as a travel partner he makes sure I'm never short on cash or good TMs.
I'm proud of all my pokes tho, regardless of their usefulness. Even the ones that lack good abilities or stats, I may end up whoring out at the Day Care Center so I have new eggs to hatch. Probly 80&#37; of my GTS offers are lvl 9 and under.

Meowth fan eh? I like you....

My Osaka Meowth is a winner, it knows Night Slash now ^_^

My PokePark Meowth has a lovely Petal Dance, I would NEVER hate either of them (I'm a sucker for Meowth)

christiandeath77
29th May 2009, 3:19 AM
It breaks my heart knowing that Glaceon and Umbreon are NU and UU.

Jukain:)
29th May 2009, 3:35 AM
Chingling, Mawile, Kirlia, Charmeleon, Ledian, Articuno and Jumpluff all suck... but I love them...

Tabby Catty
29th May 2009, 6:55 PM
Yeah, some of my favorites are Rotom and Purugly, Rotom is okay though, has really good speed, but without double team, yeah...

That's okay, I love using my favorite pokemon anyways regardless!

Profesco
29th May 2009, 7:02 PM

Umbreon, at least, can whether quite a few OU beatings. Experience talking.

Yeah, some of my favorites are Rotom and Purugly, Rotom is okay though, has really good speed, but without double team, yeah...

Rotom's got those new forms, too. Now if only there was a viable way to use them competitively besides Shoddy. D<

Adeku
29th May 2009, 7:12 PM
People say Torterra stinks in competitive battling because of its x4 ice weakness. I still use it even though it has that weakness.

You shouldn't care about what others say about your favorite Pokemon. ;)

Zenotwapal
30th May 2009, 12:28 AM
Charizard apparently sucks Infernapes (insert profain word here) all the dang time, so I'm told not to use them.

But, just because your favorite pokemon aren't in the OU tier, doesn't mean you can't use them there. you just have to know what your doing when using them, so your butt doesn't get stir fried all the time.

Ludi-Cola
30th May 2009, 12:36 AM
Meowth fan eh? I like you....

My Osaka Meowth is a winner, it knows Night Slash now ^_^

My PokePark Meowth has a lovely Petal Dance, I would NEVER hate either of them (I'm a sucker for Meowth)

aww, thanks. *friended* I like all the nature-inspired pokemon but Meowth seems to have the cutest design to me. Such a shame Persians are shown to be mean in the anime, it makes me wish for a branch-evolution. 5th gen, maybe?
I long for an event Meowth myself they have such good moves! I bred mine to know Assist, so sometimes he gets a suprise KO. But he also picks useless moves now and then. x__x

Umbreon is a better Eeveelution than it gets credit for, v. durable. Biggest prob to me is it can't do much active damage to other dark types so it would help if it had a way of baton passing it's bulk to a more offensive-focused partner ~wishes for Cosmic Power added to moveset in HG/SS~ Otherwise it'll be stuck Toxic or C-Ray'ing the likes of Crawdaunt and Houndoom forever.

LegendaryRotom
30th May 2009, 1:34 AM
KRICKETUNE! CASTFORM! ROTOM! SOLROCK!

I have a million of em'! But, I've managed to design a few strategies around most. Solrock can hold it's own pretty well against some OUs, but it's no use in real competitive play. Casty is awesome when precisely trained as a choice specs sweeper (Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Weather Ball) on a weather-based team. Otherwise....-__-...poor lil' girl doesn't have a redeeming competitive quality about her.

I usually run a supporter/ sp. attacker Rotom (Leftovers w/ Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Thunderbolt, Shadow ball) He works surprisingly well, dispite his meager UU tier. He's placed some crippling hits on the likes of Tyranitar, Metagross, and Infernape.

And, Kricketune's just....well...Kricketune.

Umbreon, at least, can whether quite a few OU beatings. Experience talking.
Absolutely true. Umbreon has been my lead wall since RSE, and he performs his job exceptionally.

Nana
30th May 2009, 3:40 AM
Wow, competitive battling sounds hard.

I just play in-game, so I play with my favourites, even though most of them are weak. I'd imagine I'd get quite bored if I had to create perfect, unlikeable Pokemon.

I must admit, I can't stand it when Pokemon are sluggish.

Sodomized
30th May 2009, 3:47 AM
It truley does fail when favorites suck( Steelix aint that good), however there are times where you still can use your faves. However over the years, pokemon was bound to evolve, and although back then it was simple, the new strategic edge the game has is great, and its helped make it what it is.

Nerofrost
30th May 2009, 3:52 AM
Ah yes, that's why i love the good ol' BL/UU/NU tiers. Everything's so unpredictable and fun, not a battle to see who can set up a DD Gyarados or who has the fastest Garchomp.

Typhlosion, Golem, Azumaril, and all the others I love, you will shine forever in my heart!

Omastar ftw!
30th May 2009, 3:59 AM
One word: Pachi-freakin-risu

one of my favourite pokémon, but it sucks xD

hmmm....pachi is great!....for a paraattrackfusion....

League
30th May 2009, 4:05 AM
Steelix is great, a physical wall that resists Explosion and a ton of special attack types. Glaceon had great deffenses, even great special attack, and a good STAB. It can be good on a Hail team or even do without.

Luxray can do good with Rivalry, though people mightn't like it for the potential redux. Still, it can get pretty high. Volbeat can do a Trick/U-turn set or something. The Quick attack can finish off the rare low HP-strategy if Volbeat won't cut it with a Scarf. Between Water, Electric, Bug and Flying special attacks, they're is not much that can resist it. Sunflora can pack decent power depending on how that Solar Power trick works. Rapidash can be decent, in UU. Jumpluff and Articuno are both good: I've used Articuno as my lead, though I moved him up to lead to try and dodge switching in to SR. Jumpluff can be very useful in Sun what with it's ability and what not. Leaf Guard can make for a heck of a stall. Torterra is good on TR teams, can be a decent Polish sweeper, and has other uses.

Anything that has the right stats/moves can be used in OU, though that use may be limited. Articuno, between Tailwind and Reflect, actually makes great support.

chimchar19
30th May 2009, 4:08 AM
I dont care what kind of "class" they are in. I just get the pokemon and train it to its full potential.

Zog the Stout
30th May 2009, 4:14 AM
This amuses me. I think with NFEs and Novelty pokes like Farfetch'd and Luvdisc, we can make exceptions, but its all about concepts and ideas. I see lots of laments about Charizard and Umbreon here, and a Steelix one too.

My standard competitive team, with a record of (at a guess) 35-15ish, includes all three. As an aside - people who are saying "Charizard is outclassed by Infernape", you're doing something wrong. Very wrong - Charizard is never going to be anything like 'Nape. Charizard competes with Moltres for places in teams.

I reguarly use an Articuno in a team which is 7-0, too.

Thing is though - if a pokemon falls short in anything, but is so awesome you wanna use it anyway, what's the solution? Baton Passing Teams. I've got a UU team which has a BP Lead - Baton Passing Agility and a Liechi boost to a Physical Sweeper. Now I could go to Medicham, Toxicroak or something equally beasty - or even keep the Ambipom doing the damage to sweep with, so its not an infallible strategy.

But I win matches, and I get to use my Zangoose. So its all good.

Zog

bookist
30th May 2009, 6:10 AM
kriketune, great moveset and taunt yet its stats well are lame. It also has a cool sound.

Desert Flower
30th May 2009, 6:37 AM
I think anything has a chance if you use it properly. I once watched someone do pretty well with a Plusle and Minun. I think the game is more fun if you come up with interesting strategies for underused pokemon, instead of just going with what's popular. And if it doesn't work it isn't the end of the world. Just playing to win gets old.

MasterCharizard15
30th May 2009, 7:09 AM
The Starters-
Venusaur-So slow and just above average sp. attack
Charizard-I love it!:) ;006; Pwns all!:)
Blastiose-Slow but Bulky
Meganium-Labeled as the weakest Starter,poor;154;
Typhosion-Swept everyone with you!:)
Feraligatr-Your awesome too. Slowish...
Houndoom-Looks awesome,....not much else...
Sceptile-You pwn so many.
Blazeiken-Slow, but I love'm anyway!
Swampert-Your...slow...Bulky...umm...
Slaking-THe Da** ABLITIY!
Shiftry-Not very powerful.
Feebas-WHY CAN"T I CATCH YOU!!
Milotic-Berry-holic!
Torterra-Is powerful no matter what!
Infernape-Fast, and cool.
Empoleon-Slow sweeper...a sad life.
Roserade-Not the fastest bbut I like it!;407;
Skuntank-Just like it.
Togekiss-TANK!
Gallade;475;-pwnage!
Lucario-Win just Win!

Kaori
30th May 2009, 3:21 PM
A lot of the bug type pokemon are weak, and I happen to like the bug types. I wish the bug type pokemon were a bit stronger.

Kyogre35
30th May 2009, 3:24 PM
My favorites are Sceptile, Swampert, and Kyogre...one being uber. Sceptile isn't great. But Swampert is one of the best Tanks in the game...so my favorites are alright.

Miltank Lover
30th May 2009, 3:57 PM
My favorites are: Milotic, Sceptile, Dragonite, Umbreon, Raichu & Miltank. All of them have great potential in my eyes, Raichu and Miltank are a bit harder to use properly but in certain situations their both very good.

Luxe
30th May 2009, 4:09 PM
I really do enjoy using my favorite pokemon, but I dont do competitive battle much because pokemon is about statistics *sigh*. If only the game modeled Ash's life, where a pikachu could destroy anything it came into contact with...

Oh ya, I (currently) am building a Hail team, and it seems to allow alot of pokemon that I like, even though the stats may not be that great. It is true that pokemon is mostly about numbers, but strategy has enough to do with battling to allow a little wiggle room. Try building a team around a theme!

Pokemontrainer1997
30th May 2009, 8:52 PM
Yes, it is a terrible feeling that I have felt many times.

Alfonso
30th May 2009, 9:03 PM
Honestly, some of the posters in this thread really do not know what 'stink' means.

Charizard does not stink, it's just not as good as some of the other Pokemon in its type but it is not truly terrible. Neither are the majority of starters or Pokemon like Golem or Raichu.

It's truly sad when you look at your Sandy Cloak Wormadam and realise how bad it really is. Stats aren't massively bad but oh lord, it has such a terrible moveset. It doesn't learn Stealth Rock like Plant and Trash Cloak do either. What the hell is up with that?

Nosepass is another. Back in Generation III it really had nothing going for it, I honestly felt I was the only one that liked it. (Probably was before Probopass came along and made it popular because it looked 'funny'.) It had terrible HP, terrible Speed and terrible Attack and Special Attack so it couldn't use ANY of the nice attacks it was given such as Thunderbolt or Zap Cannon.

latios reborn
30th May 2009, 9:19 PM
I've noticed this time around my Glaceon and Lucario have really bad defence stats. Like not even in the triple digits.

foxyman1167
30th May 2009, 9:49 PM
I've noticed this time around my Glaceon and Lucario have really bad defence stats. Like not even in the triple digits.

No, they certainly have three digit stats.

I on the other hand, hate when places like Smogon put pokemon down, like Snorlax, because he can't defeat the infamous SkarmBliss combo, when I doubt there are any who can successfully do it. Snorlax is great, and people need to realise it.

BynineB
30th May 2009, 9:50 PM
Nosepass is another. Back in Generation III it really had nothing going for it, I honestly felt I was the only one that liked it. (Probably was before Probopass came along and made it popular because it looked 'funny'.) It had terrible HP, terrible Speed and terrible Attack and Special Attack so it couldn't use ANY of the nice attacks it was given such as Thunderbolt or Zap Cannon.

I've always loved lil' Nosepass.
So rare, so quirky, so awesome.

alakazam_1
31st May 2009, 12:36 AM
No, they certainly have three digit stats.

I on the other hand, hate when places like Smogon put pokemon down, like Snorlax, because he can't defeat the infamous SkarmBliss combo, when I doubt there are any who can successfully do it. Snorlax is great, and people need to realise it.

SkarmBliss defeaters (probably not all, not extensively researched)

Infernape - a MixApe set can Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat Skarm to death and Close Combat murders Bliss.

Blaziken - destroys SkarmBliss even more - despite being slower than Ape, still outspeeds SkarmBliss and has superior Atk/SpA stats.

Electivire - MixVire can fry Skarm with Thunderbolt and beat Bliss with Cross Chop.

Dragonite - MixNite can Fire Blast Skarm and Superpower Bliss.

Tyranitar - Tyraniboah with its Sub up can obliterate Bliss with a Focus Punch and thrash Skarm with Flamethrower/Thunderbolt.

Salamence - MixMence can Brick Break Bliss and Fire Blast Skarm.

Arcanine - Mixed Arcanine can OHKO Skarm with Overheat and with a Flash Fire boost it has roughly a 46% chance to OHKO max HP/Def Blissey with Flare Blitz, easily OHKOing the more common variant, which invests little or nothing in HP.

Undecided
31st May 2009, 8:55 AM
A battler is someone who wins with the best. A trainer is someone who tries to win with the Pokemon he/she likes.

I can't stand some of my favorite Pokemon. So I exploit their weaknesses and trap my enemy (I use Shuckle. Power trick to switch Defense and Attack stats. Get OHKO'D. Lol. But I enjoy Shuckle. It's such a fun little Pokemon...

Undecided
31st May 2009, 8:57 AM
I've always loved lil' Nosepass.
So rare, so quirky, so awesome.

Nosepass was the ONLY Pokemon I wanted. Sadly, I couldn't get it (I think it wasn't available in Sapphire). It looks like it could've used some popularity.

Lucazard
31st May 2009, 9:05 AM
One day I thought hey Lapras is good, I went to check to EV it. After finishing, I was like WTF it's classified as an NN. O_o

-Dark-Knight-
31st May 2009, 10:43 AM
Yup :(
Poor mew

VentKazemaru
31st May 2009, 3:12 PM
I brought a high leveled floatzel and staraptor to the Pokemon league.they're were one of the first Pokemon I caught in shinnoh,but I realized their sp. defense was NOTHING.I only use them for contests now.

Rakurai
31st May 2009, 3:40 PM
It annoys me, but I use them anyways, since it makes it all the more satisfying when I manage to pull off a victory against a statistically superior team.

Light-The-Archangel
31st May 2009, 3:54 PM
I don't think the pokemon I love stink. I love water pokemon. My two main pokes are Qwilfish and Vaporeon (which both kick *****). I do have some non stronger favorites like Dunsparce.... ^^;

But any pokemon can be used in competitive battle, it just depends on how you use them.

Dattebayo
31st May 2009, 3:55 PM
My favorite pokemon was Jigglypuff because of SSB, but then found out she stunk in her games. I was then forced to evolve it.

foxyman1167
31st May 2009, 11:07 PM
SkarmBliss defeaters (probably not all, not extensively researched)

Infernape - a MixApe set can Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat Skarm to death and Close Combat murders Bliss.

One of these listed that actually gets used competitively.

Blaziken - destroys SkarmBliss even more - despite being slower than Ape, still outspeeds SkarmBliss and has superior Atk/SpA stats.

Barely anyone uses Blaziken anymore, he gets passed up for Infernape.

Electivire - MixVire can fry Skarm with Thunderbolt and beat Bliss with Cross Chop.

Rare to see a MixVire set, but Electivire is seen quite often none-the-less.

Dragonite - MixNite can Fire Blast Skarm and Superpower Bliss.

People, like Blaziken, pass him up for Salamence.

Tyranitar - Tyraniboah with its Sub up can obliterate Bliss with a Focus Punch and thrash Skarm with Flamethrower/Thunderbolt.

TyranBoah is rare since the 4th Gen.

Salamence - MixMence can Brick Break Bliss and Fire Blast Skarm.

Another one actually used competitively.

Arcanine - Mixed Arcanine can OHKO Skarm with Overheat and with a Flash Fire boost it has roughly a 46% chance to OHKO max HP/Def Blissey with Flare Blitz, easily OHKOing the more common variant, which invests little or nothing in HP.

Barely used in OU, and passed up for things like Charizard.

So yeah, I didn't say SkarmBliss is unbeatable, but it seems people discard pokemon that can't take down one or the other.

xXBlastBurnXx
31st May 2009, 11:09 PM
I really like fire types, like Houndoom and Charizard. They are in the BL and NU teirs. But I always remember: TEIRS ARE 4 QUEERS!

Alloute
31st May 2009, 11:15 PM
Again, no it does not.

If you train them with everything you have, if you put effort into making your Pokemon as strong as they can be, it doesn't matter if they lose.

If they do lose, blame yourself :p

Adeku
31st May 2009, 11:51 PM
Again, no it does not.

If you train them with everything you have, if you put effort into making your Pokemon as strong as they can be, it doesn't matter if they lose.

If they do lose, blame yourself :p

I agree.

If the Pokemon loses its your fault.

Emerald 2006
1st June 2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I got a shiny Pidgeot (NFT!) in Platinum,
and it's stats are to put it bluntly, suck.
Dunno if I'll be able to increase it @ all, except through training, etc.

xLilith
1st June 2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, it made me really sad once I saw Mudkip.
At least it has a higher base speed than Bronzong o:

GO MUDKIPZ D:<

Hell_fire
1st June 2009, 11:55 AM
I really like fire types, like Houndoom and Charizard. They are in the BL and NU teirs. But I always remember: TEIRS ARE 4 QUEERS!

charizard is in UU
and no tier are there so noobs with steroid uber teams don't go around destroying people who have qwilifish and parasects

Zhanton
1st June 2009, 1:14 PM
. But I always remember: TEIRS ARE 4 QUEERS!

Hahaha rofl.

I seem to like the cute pokes, who are most definitely UU/NU...Furret, Jumpluff, Lopunny, Flygon *exception*, Qwilfish, Feraligatr...

I love Karen's quote from GSC...read it in my sig =]

Thanuist
1st June 2009, 6:08 PM
Eh, some pokemon just do outright stink, but many others are in the mediocre category. Those are the ones that may not be the "ideal", but if you put time and effort into them they won't disappoint you.

Yes this is a game focused on numbers, a lot like world of warcraft (which i also play on and off). Now my guild there is nowhere near ground breaking contenters or pvpers, but we always conquer pvp or raids despite the numbers telling us we should fail. Why? Because if you love what you do and understand your methods inside and out then you really can't "fail".

You have to do what makes you happy and understand the consequences of doing so. Luckily for me I have found a group of people who hold the same philosphy, so once I start trading/battling I will be on a level playing field.

Excitable Boy
1st June 2009, 10:54 PM
Waaaaay too true. These are the Pokemon I like. Blue means OU, Red means UU or below.

Ariados
Lucario
Hariyama
Altaria
Girafarig

Black Diaruga
2nd June 2009, 12:20 AM
Some of my favourite Pokemon include Pidgeot, Blastoise and Feraligatr but all these Pokemon have been described as lackluster in the games and are outclassed by stronger, faster and overall better Pokemon in competitive battling.

Play in the UU tier. Only Pidgeot is NU from those 3.

But I always remember: TEIRS ARE 4 QUEERS!
No, they aren't.

noobs with steroid uber teams
...Where have I read this sort of comments before?

Chaos Rush
2nd June 2009, 1:32 AM
Why do you guys follow the stupid Smogon rules anyway...

Serebii should make their own system of competitive battling.

Black Diaruga
2nd June 2009, 1:55 AM
Why do you guys follow the stupid Smogon rules anyway...
Mostly to keep the battles competitive.

Serebii should make their own system of competitive battling.
There's already a tier system with a set of standard competitive rules. There's no need for another system, wich would be essentially the same thing and would have the same purpose: to try and keep battles balanced and competitive.

Hyper Chibi Absol
2nd June 2009, 1:57 AM
Defense and speed wise, Absol isn't the greatest in. :/ I guess it kinda sucks but that's what Choice Scarfs are for! : D

-Dark-Knight-
3rd June 2009, 6:46 AM

thats what i do ^_^

rekreatur
3rd June 2009, 6:48 AM
Hell, that's nothing. My favourite's Skitty. :|

Zhanton
3rd June 2009, 11:35 AM

With Skitty's Charm attack, it can OHKO anything!...almost.

itsme
3rd June 2009, 12:08 PM
Luckily, Sceptile does not suck.

(s.i.e)
3rd June 2009, 2:07 PM
it sometimes happens to people but for that you have to be creative. blastoise & nidoking are a few of my favorites and those are in my team right now but sadly they didn't proved to be useful after several onlinebattles so i replace them for something else i can use.

BynineB
3rd June 2009, 9:10 PM

My favorite Surskit waves hai.
:\

League
3rd June 2009, 10:18 PM
Surskit's typing would of been real cool had it been given to Masquerain. The shiny Masquerain looks really cool at least--as well, it has a decent movepool compared to most bugs. But eh.

Rosemary
3rd June 2009, 11:44 PM
My fave pokemon are Vaporeon and Skuntank,
if they suck or not, but mostly are my best pokes in my team

League
4th June 2009, 3:25 AM
Vaporeon is the most used form of Eevee followed by Glaceon I'd say. Skuntank has great typing, and could probably get something done with Aftermath.

LucarioMan101
4th June 2009, 3:32 AM
Vaporeon is the most used form of Eevee followed by Glaceon I'd say. Skuntank has great typing, and could probably get something done with Aftermath.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha............ .sorry but vaporeon is used 20 million times than glaceon..........skuntank is barely used at all btw

League
4th June 2009, 3:40 AM
Well duh. The only thing I didn't state there was the clear second as it could be Espeon/Jolteon.

Nejiki
4th June 2009, 4:11 AM
Jolteon is actually used more than Vaporeon.

My favorites vary, but I tend to like Pokemon like Dustox and Venomoth a lot. I don't play competitively anymore so I play with them in the Battle Frontier and stuff. I don't mind if they aren't the best, as long as I'm having fun.

Miss_Pocket_Monster
4th June 2009, 5:00 AM
Serebii himself is a fan of Farfetch'd.....;083;

Nothing wrong with liking Pokemon that aren't competitively viable. There are still Contests, after all! And besides, some Pokemon I adore are merely outclassed or mediocre rather than sucky, so with the right strategy they can still be incorporated into a good team. ;210;

espeon13x
4th June 2009, 5:06 AM
i really dont care anymore i just choose the ones i like, for example my brother and i want to train a level 100 forretres. why? just because it would be neat, and i love espeon but miine only has like 297 sp att, and i use umbreon mor than my absol which as 335 att and umbreon has liek 177( but 301 defense) but i still use umbreon.

glowing_light010
4th June 2009, 5:17 AM
yeahh, i wish they would make a pokemon
that has awesome stats AND looks good! lol.

i love pokemon like blissey, pachirisu, and corsola.
but all of them arent that great when it comes to battling.

Cipher
4th June 2009, 5:42 AM
Serebii should make their own system of competitive battling.So, like....worse?

I remember when I first realized how pathetically slow Seviper is. Still like to use it though, despite essentially being a worse Octillery.

League
6th June 2009, 5:09 AM
Please: any of the 580-stat total pokemon are more than powerful enough to be used in UU at least. I've used Articuno as an opener, who didn't really fear SR that much. Articuno definetly does not suck: he just makes a less forceful niche, requiring a trainer to make it that much more forceful.

sweet_piplup123
7th June 2009, 1:11 PM

My dear Roserade is so poor on Defence T__T

rekreatur
7th June 2009, 1:46 PM
Articuno sucks cause it has a 4x stealth rock weakness. Its NU.

Might wanna check out the tiers again.

Escape Reality
7th June 2009, 5:36 PM
yeah, i like totodile, but i'd never use it in competitive battling as it'd be knocked out in no time. i only use it in my in game team if i'm raising it. :\

#Gecko#
8th June 2009, 3:50 AM
The only time I felt like that is when they took Special Leaf Blade off Sceptile. I just loved that move and help me like Sceptile more.

freakyboy05
8th June 2009, 3:58 AM
I hate Charizard's X4 weakness to rock, and i still can't believe it survived Argenta's Regirock's Ancientpower, maybe it's because of Regirock's sucky Sp.Att. but later he was killed by a Giga Impact. Darn you Argenta your legendary pokemon!
Charizard doesn't suck but he isn't as great as I thought...

Bobblefighter
8th June 2009, 9:38 AM
Yeah, but it's still fun. Camerupt was the first pokemon I really focused on Breeding correctly, with the right moves from a Torkoal, the right nature, and EVed great, but then he moved slower than an Empoleon, and game over. But I still love my Camerupt!

Misson_Togetic
9th June 2009, 4:22 AM
I've been a Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff fan since I first got one in Yellow! I've always kept one in my team (it fainted a lot though). I also like Lopunny a lot!

See, this is what I do in competitive play, I use Lopunny as starter, switcheroo it's flame orb to a sucker, Agility then pass it to Wiggly! Then sweep with Choice specs Wiggly LOL!
Wiggly's time in the spotlight is always short lived, but I still use it!

Genis94
9th June 2009, 4:27 AM
My Little Umbreon has... Dare I say?... Crap attack stats =(

Black Diaruga
11th June 2009, 7:01 AM
Please: any of the 580-stat total pokemon are more than powerful enough to be used in UU at least.
Stat total isn't the only factor that determines what tier a Pokémon goes into.
For example, Regigigas has a stat total of 670, and it is NU.
Articuno is also NU as of the time of writing this.

Not saying they can't be used in UU, just stating what tier they belong to.

Dragonphantom
11th June 2009, 7:08 AM
My Little Umbreon has... Dare I say?... Crap attack stats =(

Umbreon =/= Attacker
Umbreon= Wall/Staller

I use mines as a Toxic-Staller. Can be beastly to some teams

Cpt_Justice
11th June 2009, 7:16 AM
Oh yeah I feel ya.
Heres some disappointments for me...
Pidgeot actually sucks
Marowak sucks in general
Armaldo cant be used competitively
Dragonite is losing street cred due to other pseudo legendaries
This garchomp fool is outclassing EVERYONE!
Corsola is useless trash- loved it =(
Feraligatr wont do too well competitively
Rhydon is now gone for rhyperior
Xatu sucks
No one gives arcanine any cred even tho its bad ***
Manectric lost all purpose of existence to the shinx fam
Tropius is trash
lapras is trash
All the kanto/johto starters minus typphlosion are actually pretty bad in comparison to all the 3rd 4th gen poekmon that are considered good.

These facts all kill me a little on the inside.. writing this up cut real deep.

Other let downs..when i found out nidoking was 4'7"...
And the fact that theres such a plethora of legendaries. They all needa go buh bye. Especially 4th gen...I hope if theres a 5th gen that theres about 8 less legendaries than this current gen. The title of legendary really has no substance any more.

yeminied
12th June 2009, 1:52 PM
My wittle Sudowoodo is a never used Pokemon. Poor friend you will always hold a place in my heart. Sure Sudowoodo got better attacks in Diamond and Pearl but it just rots when it gets hit by probably any surf that doesn't come from a Luvdisc. And its speed and special attack wreak meaning it probably can't hit much first. Poor Sudowoodo.

Zenotwapal
12th June 2009, 1:59 PM
Charizard apparently sucks.

4x stealth rock weakness kills it.
but im still gonna use it.

The Benmeister
12th June 2009, 2:04 PM
When you're fan of Dunsparce, you get used to it.

But trained right he can be a beast and a half.

Luxe
15th June 2009, 2:27 AM
Oh I do so love my Glaceon. I have several shiny, lvl1 Eevees with decent/great IVs and different natures so that I can eventually make a customizable Glaceon. OOOH the beauty!!!! Too bad its move pool is so small...

Sephiroth_Strife
15th June 2009, 5:15 AM
I really like Furret. I had a fantastical one in Silver the first time I played through, but now they're not worth much.

zergling4pres
15th June 2009, 5:47 AM
Scyther is one of my favorites, but bug/flying kinda sucks, and Scizor is so much better competitively...

ungulateman
15th June 2009, 1:55 PM
Cpt Justice, Venasaur and Blastoise do not "suck". They are very effective UU Pokemon who can cause a lot of damage.

Blastoise is a tank who can Rapid Spin.

Venasaur has Leech Seed, therefore it is usable (Ok, exaggeration on how much Leech Seed matters).

Midnight Sun
15th June 2009, 2:18 PM
I love Absol but I'm not very good at using it because it has bad defences. Although it's attack it pretty good I'm more of a defence type person and whenever I use Absol it faints from one attack most of the time.:/

I also like Flygon but Garchomp outdoes him in almost every way so it's hard to use him in competitive battling too.

brani
15th June 2009, 4:28 PM
pidgeot got rather good defenses in my opinion
and i think its rather strong

Lifeline
15th June 2009, 4:39 PM
I used an Ariados in crystal, thought it was amazing, and realized it wasn't so yes that sucks.
Also same with Luvdisc, who knows how I got through the Ruby with that thing. I thought it was good, now not so much.
Same story with Castform and Fatrfetch'd but I love them anyway. :p

Sharks Shouldn't Fly
15th June 2009, 5:14 PM
Yep, I got that sinking feeling when I first started playing Platinum, training my Jigglypuff. D:

But I find that after enough training, even crappier Pokemon can be pretty decent in battle.

[Ampharos]
15th June 2009, 5:41 PM
Back in GSC, with fire punch and thunder punch, Ampharos owned teams.
Try the same moveset nowadays and you'll get wrecked so fast.

Back in yellow, I dumped my pikachu for a butterfree, since it was doing way better, then later picked Pikachu up again after Lt.Surge since I felt bad, considering it was Pikachu's game. But after training a butterfree now, I see how limited his moveset is.

Duskull was pretty bad too. I was trying to EV train him, and he couldn't do anything to a lv2 bidoof. It was pretty pathetic. But then when it was outsped by a lv4 Bidoof, I laughed pretty hard.

Zukai
16th June 2009, 3:45 AM
my faves are my team =] thankfully theyre good pokemon anyway, haha

nray3
16th June 2009, 3:58 AM
my faves are sandslash and tauros both of which are pretty decent

Def_Gie
16th June 2009, 6:11 AM
Looks like I'm the late poster, but I just joined today. In any case, lucky for me, my favorite pokemon is ... tyranitar. Ironically, I like it somewhat less because it's a serious overused pokemon. On the other hand, I also completed gold version with a team of six unowns (even with one at level 100 I couldn't win without using the sacred ash, probably almost as stupid of a move, before Lance). I also have a crush on magic guard clefable. Magic guard + toxic orb + facade = cutest thing you could ever pair with a not-so-great attack stat (nevermind other pokemon with flame orb + guts + facade + high attack...). Solid sunny camerupt is sweet too (but no weaknesses here is pretty pricey by comparison with pressure spiritomb), and liquid ooze tentracruel (a 4th gen OU but usually clear body I think?) makes me smile. I'm not actually sure where the c pokemon on this list stand, but I imagine clefable and camerupt are still pretty UU. I guess I usually like pokemon for things that affect combat, often gimmick options (me first magic coat snatch absol), just not stats so much. Sand stream is also an awesome ability but I loved tyranitar back in gold version too. I guess that's ... kind of just some of my favorites, but yeah the cool ones that aren't so good deserve better.

Alloute
16th June 2009, 6:18 AM
A long time ago (before I learned about EV's) I thought that one level 100 Pokemon was strong.

Now I know that even if you have level 100 Pokemon, if they aren't EV trained, they are useless.

It sucked, yes.

sunny13
16th June 2009, 6:27 AM
Luvdisc is my favorite Pokemon. Along with Piplup. I've never battled with them, though.

I also LOVE Milotic, and it is a great Pokemon all around. Defensive, good HP, as well as decent Attack/Sp. Attk.

Allyson
16th June 2009, 6:30 AM
I love Roselia's but their defense is horrible =/

Zonn13
16th June 2009, 6:46 AM
Examples of weak favorites in bold.

My favorite Pokemon are Gallade, Giratina, Dusknoir, Magmortar, Sceptile, Spiritomb, Empoleon, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Blaziken, etc...

I don't think Sceptile is that bad, but it's not tha best...

limitedmage
16th June 2009, 6:58 AM
I love Typhlosion, Luxray and Empoleon, although they aren't really the cream of the crop for standard play. But the fun part of playing is to raise you favourites, regardless of how strong they might be in the so-called "metagame". It's no fun just trying to imitate movesets and breed to perfection. Trying to bring out the best out of every Pokemon you raise is what makes the games so fun.

League
16th June 2009, 7:17 AM
Oi, some of you people... I've used Sceptile 3rd gen who mostly got helped out this generation minus the use of Leaf Blade being special, Typhlosion this gen (both these being on Shoddy, mind), and some others. If a pokemon listed here has an evo who can compete, then use that evo. Duh.

Emo_Kirlia
16th June 2009, 7:29 AM
I got my *** whooped by a Togepi and an Exeggcute that used Trick Room...I remember that battle like it was yesterday...
T^T
I believe People can win with their weak favirotes but I wouldn't dare try. :x

Blivsey
16th June 2009, 10:27 PM
I don't pay much attention to tiers in the competitive battling scene, anyway. Ninetales being considered an "Underused" Pok&#233;mon doesn't make me like it any less.

Jeffro
17th June 2009, 7:31 AM
Ugh, I hate it actually too. Its cause you are forced to use pokemon who you wouldn't originally train, but because the numbers say if you use this against that, you just wont win. and a majority of the time, ppl are not going to train pokemon to lv 50 or keep everstones on them till 100. Its sad, but, you just have to accept it.
What I do is EV train those that are built to play with the other top pokemon, then after that, train my favorite or intermix them on the training cause in game I will always prefer my favs over those that are trained to just be strong. Sorry if im being confusing to some.

Raesa
17th June 2009, 11:00 AM
I totally agree with you. I hate it, most of the pkmn I like will get owned too. It's really annoying xD But I can't battle online anyway, wifi don't work.... xD

ungulateman
17th June 2009, 1:26 PM
I love Blaziken, so hearing he was completely outclassed by Infernape was a bit sad. Mind you, Infernape (and the other Sinnoh starters) are all Pokemon who I love, and who are powerful (with the possible exception of Torterra) .

dragon-dark-master
17th June 2009, 1:30 PM
YES..........IT..........DOES.........

The simple days ertr better than now, i used to use a Sceptile....

Handsome
17th June 2009, 1:31 PM
I really like Pikachu and Mightyena but they would get OHKO in Wifi battles.

Drybones446
17th June 2009, 3:34 PM
I like Bidoof because its somewhat cute but recently its being destroyed for HP EVs.
I also like Scizor because he looks awesome.

Quilava has Typhlosion: use it.

Quilava, use Typhlosion attack!
lol

Don't you mean Eruption?

ElectricRat
17th June 2009, 8:45 PM
I was kind of surprised after discovering that in reality....

ONIX IS CRAP!

I mean it looks cool and seems tough in both the anime and the manga. However, its stats and moves aren't that good. The only real success I had with it was in Gen II and that was probably due to the low levels. For the longest time I thought I was doing something wrong. I mean it looks badass and yet it just didn't hit very hard. Then I saw its stats.

dragon-dark-master
18th June 2009, 12:30 PM
^^^ When you evloe it Stelix isnt that bad if you want a rock (pun most deffinetly intended ;) )***

***If you dont know what a rock is.... A rock is a term used, not that often, but still a common saying, meaning, in this case, a pokemon who starts off the battle and is rather defensive, but can lay a few decent attacks...

tom-tom
19th June 2009, 7:05 AM
yeah my old furret lvl 100 was awesome but if i battled anyone outside of the game he would suck

CrossTheRoad
19th June 2009, 10:52 PM
I use to love Butterfree. But then later on with the competitive thing going on, and everybody laughing at me because my butterfree got its' butt kicked by a Groudon, I didn't like it anymore. Oh darn peer pressure xD

-Dark-Knight-
20th June 2009, 9:55 AM
Yup :(
Poor Espeon....It's just a weaker Alakazam.

Conker
20th June 2009, 4:26 PM
I like using Pidgeot, it help me greatly during the Elte Four battles.

You know whats funnier than winning with strong pokemon? Beating them with so call "lackluster" pokemon.

KingRaichu
20th June 2009, 7:19 PM
I agree with what ur saying...
I mean, Munchlax is one of my favorites but its obviously useless compared to its evolved form, and it is the slowest Pokemon discounting Shuckle. Yes it is disappointingly suckish. It tasted like a bad turnip. *sob* I hate turnips!

Abysmal Zero
20th June 2009, 10:51 PM
Seriously though. I love Furret! And Fearow.

But put Fearow against Staraptor and you get one dead bird.

And as for legends, my fav is Articuno...who realistically can't hold against its peers and is condemned to the NU tier. Which is just wrong.

The Thunderbird
21st June 2009, 5:20 AM
Garchomp is one of my favorite's and it's uber which I didn't realize until a few weeks ago.

qjanuary22
21st June 2009, 5:52 AM
Conker thats not true no pokemon is weak or not good..Its all on the trainer and its team.. kobe couldent win a ring with out dreak fisher so its the same like pikachu is my best pokemon its a great speedster with over 400 attk and spatkk but sucky defense and sp .. So any body can win with anybody ..and Tom tom u could make a furret to a great pokemon with enogh work.. and same for u drak night my gf has a espeon over 350 speed and 450 sp attack

Peekablue
22nd June 2009, 2:15 PM
During the main game I use my favourites. I tend to start with the EV/IV/Natures after the E4.

The team I'd use for gameplay isn't the same one I'd use over wifi or in other non-storyline battle situations... in D/P/Plat I used a Luxray up to and including the E4, but an EV/IV/Nature trained Electavire after.

TheWallstreetJournal
23rd June 2009, 3:15 AM
Flygon is one of my favorite pokes and it isn't that bad, either. I'm also a fan of Shaymin, Scizor, Ttar, Blastoise, Beedrill, Cloyster, Glalie (awesome), Sharpedo and Cacturne (ingrain+leech seed ftw)

maxelle
23rd June 2009, 5:04 AM
My favorites would probably be Milotic, Sneasle, Misdreavus, FEraligatr, and Umbreon. And so far I've heard all most all of them suck except for Milotic.

(Milotic is my favorite only because it looked amazing and it took so much effort for me to find a Feebass (which suck), maximize the beauty of the Feebass, give it a decent moveset, train it for 42 levels, and finally rest till I train it to 100)

BynineB
24th June 2009, 9:29 PM
Onix, as said previously.

It has less HP than a Geodude. Yet it's a twenty foot long, behemoth rock serpent of kick-a-ness.

WHY GAMEFREAK
WHYYYYYYYYYYY

The Flash
24th June 2009, 10:18 PM
I love Phanpy and Tauros. Yet they get overlooked a lot.

Ghost_MissingNo
24th June 2009, 10:37 PM
I have a level 98 female Sceptile, but I lose with her loads when I battle with friends. She has good speed, but not the best move pool and poor defence. I love Sceptile and it has always been my favorite fully-evolved starter pokemon since the 3rd gen came out. I always like to imagine my Sceptile as a fierce warrior using leaf blade to slash apart enemies like they do in Star Wars... <3 It just sounds so cool having blades that transform from the leaves on your wrists and being able to slash things up. But it is shameful the way my Sceptile faints after three hits... Yeah, it does suck.

Jackson94
25th June 2009, 8:29 AM
My starter is my most trusted pokemon and he is a powerful pokemon, my empoleon can take alot of hits before he faints some of my other pokemon are sort of weak, the more i have a pokemon the more it grows on me

Fire Hero
25th June 2009, 8:40 AM
I don't care if they're bad. I use them anyway. I just hate battling with Scizor like every single OU battler does.
Stick to your favorites. The real fun is when you try to get the most of your Pokémon and you can surprise everyone by making them strong.

TurtwigFan1
25th June 2009, 6:41 PM
Same here, I battle with my favourites and I try to EV train them. Search for Overhazards' battles on YouTube. She uses a team of NFE Pok&#233;mon sometimes, and they defeat OU Pok&#233;mon. So it doesn't matter how 'bad' they are, you just have to work hard and unlock their potential.

CombeeKing
1st July 2009, 2:53 AM
You Will Find ONE Of My Favorite Pokemon In Battling Sometimes
;416;VESPIQUEN!;416;

But You Will Never, Ever Find A ;357;Tropius;357;
My Second Fav Poke.

WynautQueen
1st July 2009, 2:56 AM
I almost never battle without Kao, my naughty Mawile. I know it's not exactly the best nature, and Mawile is generally thought of as NU, but I love him. And he's kicked some butt from time to time, too. Deoxys OHKO with Sucker Punch FTW.

Slash4life
21st July 2009, 4:24 AM
I love Bagon! Not Shelgon, not Salamence(though I usually use it on my competitive team)

Trace Porygon2 is awesome! Gotta love a Pokemon that can switch into a Vaporeon's Surf, a Heatran's Fire Blast, a Flygon's Earthquake or Earth Power, and an Electivire's ThunderPunch

I hate that the Eeveeloutions (especially Vaporeon) are just always thrown into the Wishing and/or Passing roles. I like to use a Vaporeon with Surf, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Aqua Ring because he uses them well and no one expects it. Also, the reaction to an Overheat Flareon is priceless.

Sneasel. 'Nuff said.

Walrein. love to name it "Wally" after Wallace, who is the shiznit when it comes to Gym Leaders and/or Champions

Slash4life
21st July 2009, 4:48 AM
And I forgot... Butterfree! Timid nature, EV it in Speed and SpAtk, and you have a fast Sleep move at your disposal with almost 100 accuracy, decent Speed, and a decent Dream Eater

Zangoose, Absol, Octillery, Toxicroak, Delibird, Flygon, Altaria, and Wingull(my first shiny, barring Lake of Rage Gyarados)

Corsola, who could use an evo, and Nidoking, who can hold his own in OU but no one thinks much of him.

Slowpoke line. Gotta love water-types who can spam Flamethrowers and Fire Blasts.

Btw, I saw on smogon that Slowbro is UU and Slowking is NU, but the opinion on Slowking kinda disses Slowbro. I was like, "WTF!?"

xMehx
21st July 2009, 5:15 AM
You Will Find ONE Of My Favorite Pokemon In Battling Sometimes
;416;VESPIQUEN!;416;

But You Will Never, Ever Find A ;357;Tropius;357;
My Second Fav Poke.

When I battled once the other person used a Tropius. I think EV/IV training is way overrated, and it's no fun if you get sweeped with one pokemon and you just want to have a nice, even battle. People are just too serious about a frickin' game.

smartie
21st July 2009, 10:47 AM
My favo poke's are:
Ampharos,
Absol,
Typhlosion.

But I never ever see them in competetive battling :o .

Xhirachu
21st July 2009, 1:47 PM
I have no clue about what Pokemon are good and which ones are bad. I've been looking around this site for only a couple of days and all these terms and stuff people use just confuse me. I tried learning about chaining but I was just like "... DDD8 Wut?" I just use Pokemon I like. My favorite is Bulbasaur. I always thought he was good because he can learn Sleep Powder, Poison Powder and healing stuff like Giga Drain. Now I see I may be sadly mistaken. D8

dawsoc
21st July 2009, 10:42 PM
cherrim is one of my favorites,and it does horrible in battle,soloarbeam deals some decent damage though.

Kaasuti
21st July 2009, 10:46 PM
Charizard is my main favourite but in competitive battling it loses out to stealth rock which narks me off, same goes for Articuno :(.

Jordy Kieto
21st July 2009, 11:18 PM
yeah i remember being 6 years old with my pokemon yellow nd my pikachu lvl 56 thinking i was the sh*t, then some mean 11 year olds came and challlenged me to a battle against mew and my pikacu didint last attacks...

never qite gotten over that incident

Blivsey
22nd July 2009, 2:41 AM
Bah. I'm not really one for popular opinion, anyway. Example? Garchomp looks ugly to me and I refuse to use it. I love Metang and Haunter over their evolved forms, as well as the generally-unloved Furret and Ariados.

pokemonmasterhustler
22nd July 2009, 3:07 AM
I know how you feel pikachu is on of my examples I say pikachu all the time and he's just cool.. I was really mad when i found out he wasn't strong in games

chaotickelsey
23rd July 2009, 9:48 PM
I have the exact same problem. Pidgeot is my favorite pokemon, but even maxed out with careful breeding and drugs like iron, they've still got some pretty obvious blind spots.
I'm a bird pokemon trainer primarily, so my team of favorites is mostly birds. But when battling other trainers I have to break out the pokemon I don't like so much to win, like my rhyperior and duskinoir.

eeveerose
23rd July 2009, 10:05 PM
With the right training and desire, there is honestly no way for pokemon to stink.
My eevee KO'd a Ho-oh on wifi battling, because I Ev'd it in defense.
It took a while, a lot of wishing and such, but still.
No pokemon stinks. Most of the time, its the lazy trainer =3

My team of Altaria, Dragonite, Eevee, Flygon, Raikou and Vaporeon win most of the time.
Do you guys think they "stink"?

Noheart
23rd July 2009, 10:28 PM
I use Farfetch'd.

And I've swept OU teams on PBR with it before.

(yay ninjask and baton pass!)

Grei
23rd July 2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I feel this way about Cherrim. That thing is so cool yet...so hard to use.

However, I agree with Eeveerose in that just about any Pokemon can be good if you train it correctly. Sometimes, if a Pokemon's nature or IVs are terrible, it's destined to never be more than "average", but that's mostly just a stroke of bad luck.

Pokemon can be trained and worked with to make them powerful battlers, no matter what Pokemon it actually is. You just can't be lazy and expect all of the Pokemon to be great on their own.

I know how you feel pikachu is on of my examples I say pikachu all the time and he's just cool.. I was really mad when i found out he wasn't strong in games

Actually, Pikachu can be an amazing Special Attacker if it's holding the Light Ball. A simple case of not using a Pokemon right--if Pikachu's offense is focused to special attacks only and it's speed is trained, the Light Ball can let it be truly powerful. You just need to use Pikachu right. : \

Leaf Storm
23rd July 2009, 10:37 PM
Bulbasaur, Miltank, Tropius, and Meganium are my favorites. xD

At least Miltank is a respectable foe in OU.

xspicysnowballx
23rd July 2009, 10:39 PM
I don't know what I would do without using my beloved Persian. I have one in my 2 Crystal teams (2 cartridges), one in my Blue cartridge team, and I plan on having on in my upcoming Emerald team and Platinum team.
Due to Persians' speed, he whips others like no one's business.

Also I noticed something.
If a certain Pokemon looks like a dog or cat, I'm more than likely to use them. It's because my favorite animals, in this order, are cats and dogs.
My favorite Pokemon are as follows in order:
;053; Persian
;229; Houndoom
;197; Umbreon
;262; Mightyena
;301; Delcatty

^^

Leaf Storm
Actually, Pikachu can be an amazing Special Attacker if it's holding the Light Ball. A simple case of not using a Pokemon right--if Pikachu's offense is focused to special attacks only and it's speed is trained, the Light Ball can let it be truly powerful. You just need to use Pikachu right. : \

Yeah, but talk about a glass cannon though. xD

~Upsidedown 403~
Ohh, I love the cute little luvdisc, I heart that thing so much!! But put it in a battle, and it can't really last that long!! And corsola too!! Oh, if she had better stats....

Bestemnx
27th July 2009, 1:24 AM
I love Flareon so, so, so much. Compared to the other eeveelutions, though, it falls short in the stat department. ]: It has killer attack stats though.

And gotta love cute lil Skitty.

However, none of that really bothers me though. I can't calculate EVs or IVs or any of the sort. I usually get to lazy with natures. And, my wifi doesn't work so no competitive battling for me.

I love battling with my favorites. It makes the whole pokemon journey a lot more enjoyable.

Pkmnlover
27th July 2009, 2:02 AM
It does suck to think that my favorite dragon pokemon who I used to think was the strongest ever back in the secong generation is now weaker than Garchomp and Salamence. Yes, I mean Dragonite. It stinks but I love competetive battling because with alot of strategy and training I have made some good teams that consist of "lackluster" pokemon. For example, Bastiodon is cool. I ev trained mine to have almost max attack stats and like max HP. Bastiodon crushed a couple teams on its own with moves like Stone Edge and Metal Burst. And Metal Burst rocks! I even tried him has a curser which is tuff but it can work. Playing like that makes it more challenging and more fun!

Takaru
27th July 2009, 2:08 AM
It does suck I rember 3rd gen Sneasel was so terrible haha, but this gen it got an evolved for Weavile ♥

Somtimes it sucks worse when Pokemon get to overused like Scizor who is one of my favorites, now you see it everywere, and its kind of annoying.

But I use my favorites when I battle somtimes. Some times they may surprise people. The tiers list is a bit broken IMO, and I really don't pay much attention to it.

.VALO.
27th July 2009, 2:17 AM
I enjoy using my favorites in battle, I've bred and trained them well and they all have unexpected movesets so my opponents rarely know what to expect. You can see my favorites in my signature below this post, there is 24 of them and I've put a lot of work into breeding them and resetting for the legendaries.

brandyjay
27th July 2009, 3:00 AM
Most of my absolute favorites fall into the lower teirs. That said because I train them more than others they managed to beat my best friends higher teired team. BTW these include roserade, espeon and crobat. I also use a couple from OU but they sort of come and go on my team. All my regulars are stat weak favorites that manage to do really well.

PokeN3rd
27th July 2009, 4:04 AM
My favorite Pokemon is Charizard. I loved using it in R/S, but then the berry dropped to 25% and I was disappointed but continued to use it. When Stealth Rock was introduced it became almost impossible to use though. Quite a shame that a Pokemon that cool would be ruined. But oh well. My other favorite Swampert is still quite usable, so I always find a spot for it on my team in Charizards place.

PKMN Legend Anthony
27th July 2009, 5:30 PM
Some of my favourite Pokemon include Pidgeot, Blastoise and Feraligatr but all these Pokemon have been described as lackluster in the games and are outclassed by stronger, faster and overall better Pokemon in competitive battling. I think Pidgeot is the best looking bird Pokemon but if I use him I'll be destroyed by someone else.

Just my two cents..

Blastiose islnt hideous. I even use a Mirror Coating one and it holds its own in OU play..

Just my two cents...

AquaMilotic
7th August 2009, 9:58 PM
I love Milotic. When I play OU, I get trolled for using it, because "Suicune/Vaporeon are better", which isn't even true. I use Milotic on every team I make and I won't stop doing that. In UU, it isn't a problem. I don't play Uber. Milotic is my favorite Pokemon and it will never change. I will use it on every team (all my teams are competitive), DS and Shoddy. I don't think Milotic sucks competitively, but most people don't realize Milotic isn't outclassed.

frozenthunder
7th August 2009, 10:34 PM
pokemon used to be you could play with your faves and not have to worry so much on the numbers but now its in need it to have ivs of 31 here, here and here so it can be better that the rest and it needs to have this nature and a bility otherwise its useless
i sometimes wish they never made the ivs cuz the just drives people to be perfect and that is what everyone tries to do
i still fight with pokemon i like and dont care what others say about my team i choose them cuz i like them not for any other reason

vampirelazarus
7th August 2009, 10:42 PM
i play with my favorites, although i did pay attention to there abilities and nature... i do not calculate ivs... i would use pigeot as its one of my favorites, but i cant find my pidgey...

Slash4life
8th August 2009, 5:15 AM
I liked Garchomp all right UNTIL it got moved to Uber, which is sooo stupid anyway. Salamence pwns Garchomp with a Modest Specs Draco Meteor. I do, however, believe Vaporeon is better than Milotic. And despite most people's opinions, Vaporeon CAN actually use offensive moves instead of just subbing, wishing, and passing
And Altaria has decent stats but is lower-teired for some reason. Yanmega is probably the best bug out there, but because the teir lists are based WAY too much on Stealth Rock, They can't fathom a special attacker with a versatile enough learnset that it might not need to switch out a million times. And how is Arcanine not OU when Ninjask is?

AquaMilotic
18th August 2009, 4:03 PM
Comparision Vaporeon/Milotic.

Top 3 benefits.

Vaporeon
1 Wish
2 Baton Pass
3 Water Absorb

Milotic
1 Recover
2 Marvel Scale
3 Hypnosis

Milotic isn't outclassed, but underrated.

Slash4life
18th August 2009, 6:13 PM
Comparision Vaporeon/Milotic.

Top 3 benefits.

Vaporeon
1 Wish
2 Baton Pass
3 Water Absorb

Milotic
1 Recover
2 Marvel Scale
3 Hypnosis

Milotic isn't outclassed, but underrated.

Wow. What did I just say? Your list is all about passing, wishing, and healing to pass more. Why not put that superb base 110 Special Attack stat to use. Surf, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Hidden Power. All good moves.

All Milotic Really has over Vaporeon is higher Special Defense, Hypnosis, and instant recovery. However, Hypnosis only has a base 60 accuracy, so it's very unreliable. Wish can be used very well with prediction. Milotic takes 100 base from Grass Knot; Vaporeon only takes 60. Milotic may have access to Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power Fire, But Vaporeon matches with Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting, which gets coverage on Heatran.

I'm not saying that Milotic is bad. It would be viable in OU, but, like Arcanine, Altaria, Porygon2, Yanmega, and Mesprit, it is condemned to the lower tiers while Flygon hangs out in OU and Garchomp somehow went to Uber.

clone1
18th August 2009, 7:13 PM
I love Flareon. The only problem is it found itself in the NU tier list. I still use it on my team at times but it gets outclassed. xD

.VALO.
18th August 2009, 7:41 PM
I have no problems using my favorites in battle and winning. Honestly, it's how you train them, the moves you give them and whether you're skilled enough to battle with them effectively.

Take a look: Here (http://www.youtube.com/user/FreelanceValo)

misunderstoodhero
18th August 2009, 8:16 PM
It does suck to think that my favorite dragon pokemon who I used to think was the strongest ever back in the secong generation is now weaker than Garchomp and Salamence. Yes, I mean Dragonite. It stinks but I love competetive battling because with alot of strategy and training I have made some good teams that consist of "lackluster" pokemon. For example, Bastiodon is cool. I ev trained mine to have almost max attack stats and like max HP. Bastiodon crushed a couple teams on its own with moves like Stone Edge and Metal Burst. And Metal Burst rocks! I even tried him has a curser which is tuff but it can work. Playing like that makes it more challenging and more fun!

where did you get that idea? dragonite is awesome! It doesn't matter what pokemon you use as much as your tactics. a stupid kid who can't even digest solid foods yet isn't gonna win no matter what ubers they use.

Ambri
18th August 2009, 9:52 PM
As you can probably tell from my sig, I like to use pokemon that aren't considered "good", just because they're my favourites (According to Smogon, Mightyena, Ninetales, Skuntank and Tauros are all NU :( ). I might not win every battle, but it's not like my team are completely useless. Saying they're NU makes them sound worthless when they aren't. Like others have said, it's more about how well you train and use them.

TerraMaru
19th August 2009, 8:04 AM
As you can probably tell from my sig, I like to use pokemon that aren't considered "good", just because they're my favourites (According to Smogon, Mightyena, Ninetales, Skuntank and Tauros are all NU :( ). I might not win every battle, but it's not like my team are completely useless. Saying they're NU makes them sound worthless when they aren't. Like others have said, it's more about how well you train and use them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Skuntank (my most favorite Pokemon), for example, even holds its own in OU. Sending it out begs for Skarmory and other Steel types to be switched in, unsuspecting of the Fire Blast coming at them for a 1 or 2HKO (It's AWESOME if you manage to nail Lucario coming in on a switch). And Explosion? That always has a 1HKO on SOMETHING as long as you're not stupid with it. It's a fabulous Pokemon.

The NU tier is actually the best, in my humble opinion, because all of my favorites are there. I think it's fun to build a team around the one's I love best, because then it's even better when the team has competitive value in its tier.

Zonn13
19th August 2009, 8:23 AM
I love Milotic. When I play OU, I get trolled for using it, because "Suicune/Vaporeon are better", which isn't even true. I use Milotic on every team I make and I won't stop doing that. In UU, it isn't a problem. I don't play Uber. Milotic is my favorite Pokemon and it will never change. I will use it on every team (all my teams are competitive), DS and Shoddy. I don't think Milotic sucks competitively, but most people don't realize Milotic isn't outclassed.

Explained perfectly. I have the EXACT same problem with Gallade. Gallade is, without a doubt, my favorite Pokemon or all time, but sometimes, I get picked on for using him and not using Lucario/Machamp/Medicham, and people sometimes try to tell me to use them instead, because they think they outclass him. I don't think so at all. I always use Gallade, and I always have him on my team. No one can make that change. Gallade is not used by many people at all anymore, and I think that it because they're all switching to Lucario, thinking that the dog is better, but really, Gallade is not outclassed by Lucario at all.

SHINY CATCHER
20th August 2009, 1:44 AM
Well Sceptile is my Favourite but he doesn't stink, he was the fastest SubSeeder in the game until Skymin came along.

I always try to find a way to use him in my team and he is very helpful in the BF(Swept about 25 pokemon in a row in Battle Tower without taking a hit)

So yeah, he's not the best but he can be helpful in tricky situations and has a wide moveset.

CJV1
20th August 2009, 6:46 AM
does it really matter if you win or lose? if you win thats great if you lose tweak your strategy/moves and try again

theres only four starters i liked and they were not the best or strongest

i liked charizard, blastoise, feraligatr, and torterra
and ^ outclassed ^ slow ^slow ^slow

wow... i like some slow pokes

Noheart
20th August 2009, 7:33 AM
No pokemon "Stinks" if you use them correctly.

Baton Passing does wonders.

Tadashi
20th August 2009, 8:46 AM
In a battle with their own peers (NU, UU, OU, Uber), they're bound to win at least one battle. You may not be able to use, say, a Bulbasaur competitively, but that doesn't mean it can't do well in-game, or in a battle with other, similar Pok&#233;mon.

swampertforever
22nd August 2009, 11:15 AM
I dont care if people think some of my favourites are rubbish, people are just to dependant on the tiers to tell them what to do. So whenever I manage to ko an OU pokemon with my Chatot, I always smile :)

In fact, Chatot in UU = Togekiss in OU when it comes down to it
They are both very good Special attacking normal/flying types, and their base stats
HP/Atk/Def/Sp.A/Sp.D/Spe
Togekiss: 85/50/95/120/115/80
Chatot: 76/65/45/92/42/91

Are pretty balanced between them in Special attacking

Mathers
5th September 2009, 12:35 PM
its annoying because my favourite is gengar and with the sleep clause rules its annoying agh lol

Pychic OvErLoRd
5th September 2009, 12:47 PM
I love the pokemon Gardevoir but its so "bad" at training

BUT... i still train with it because i think its awesome!!! ^_^ ;492-s;

Birds of Paradise
30th September 2009, 8:25 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with the title. In one game (don't remember which) I decided to raise a persian because I really liked the sprite, but it was really hard to level up because it kept on getting ko'd easily. And it was dragging me down in trainer battles. I eventually gave up on trying to raise it. The same always happens when I try to raise a clefairy too. I did eventally make some comeback though, in colloseum or XD or whichever one it was I raised a persian on my team all the way to lvl 40 ish. But I still use some pokemon regardless of their stats if they are one of my favorites, like rapidash, pidgeot, houndoom, etc.

Poke_Mania97
30th September 2009, 8:43 PM
yer i believe i had a Rhyhorn that was sooooooooo bad! however when I evolved it finnaly! it became really good and one of my best, when it evolved again ino rhyperior it was a really good!

misunderstoodhero
30th September 2009, 8:57 PM
I use the pokemon i like! I don't care about what tier their in! I may switch to another similar, more powerful pokemon if i find they lose ALL the time, but otherwise i use what i want. For example, whilst it's hardly a weakling, my favorite pokemon, dragonite is outclassed by that wanna-be salamenace, but that doesn't stop me using it! I love it when i battle salamenaces with my dragonite, because then i get to show people how awesome dragonite is!

Poke_Mania97
30th September 2009, 9:07 PM
Yer thats is very right! I have a dragonite, it is so awseom it is my fav dragon type

Meganiatales
1st October 2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I know how you feel. :( My top favorites are Meganium, Lugia, and Ninetales. People always say Grass types kinda suck, Ninetales is waaaaaaay out-shined by Arcanine in terms of battling, and Lugia's a legendary, so of course people rip on it for that.

But I care not. I love those Pokemon, and I think using them gives me more of a challenge to try and overcome by raising them to be really good battlers. :)

AquaMilotic
1st October 2009, 4:49 PM
Meganium: Use it right and it is very viable in UU and can be used in OU but that is hard. It is a top-tier Pok&#233;mon in NU.

Ninetales: Same applies as to Meganium.

Lugia: Uber. Outclassed by Giratina for its job as a Physical wall. However, it is still a good Pok&#233;mon in its own right.

I know how you feel. I already posted in this thread. Milotic is my favorite Pok&#233;mon. I will always use it on every team. I do that since January 2005 and I win much more than I lose. Milotic is not outclassed but underrated. It is a very good Pok&#233;mon in its own right. It doesn't matter Vaporeon and Suicune exist. I get trolled a lot. I still use Milotic. I have a philosophy in my signature. Copy and paste it if you want.

Shadow Gamer
1st October 2009, 4:57 PM
I always use my favorites even if they're outclassed by something else. It doesn't matter to me because people don't ALWAYS have a counter to your favorite pokemon so in my eyes every pokemon can be useful because they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Rokroad
1st October 2009, 5:14 PM
I use the Pok&#233;mon I like, but I dont WiFi battles so it isn't a big problem.

GengarNightmare
1st October 2009, 5:34 PM
I've always used my favorites in battles until fairly recently. But now I've decided to try to get a 100 win streakin Battle Tower and.....well Charizard has trouble keeping up in the 49+ battles; at least in my experience. And this is coming from someone who's first pokemon was Charizard (I still love charizard so much!).

But hey, anything works in the main game, so who cares? When I'm not in the Battle Tower, I take on the elite four with my favorite pokemon. In fact, some people beat the game without ever evolving their starter, and they do fine.

But yes, it makes me mad that stupid Infernape "outclasses" Charizard. I grind my teeth together every time I hear someone say that!

EDIT:

Lugia: Uber. Outclassed by Giratina for its job as a Physical wall. However, it is still a good Pok&#233;mon in its own right.
There's the other one that bothers me :/ Don't worry, I'm not mad; it's not like I haven't heard it before, but it hurts every time....

GolemGuy
1st October 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah. Golem is outclassed by Rhyperior, Blaziken is outclassed by Infernape, and Mawille is just no, but I still like them.

Zonn13
2nd October 2009, 8:26 AM
Gallade
I don't think I've ever seen ONE RMT on this site that has Gallade in it, and doesn't have anyone coming up and saying "Replace it with Lucario. Lucario is better". 99% of people just keep on saying that Gallade is outclassed by Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. However, with all of that being said, and Gallade being my favorite Pokemon, I did some research, and made a beastly Gallade/Ninjask combo, making Gallade just as good as Lucario/Infernape/Machamp (well, maybe >_>;; ). I also use AquaMilotic's philosophy.

But yes, it makes me mad that stupid Infernape "outclasses" Charizard. I grind my teeth together every time I hear someone say that!

I feel the same way whenever I hear people say that Lucario outclasses Gallade, which is very often.

Gardevoir
Not really a favorite of mine, but I use it. Outclassed by Alakazam for sweeping, but is still good for support.

Magmortar
One of my favorites, outclassed by Infernape for sweeping, but still good for Stealth Rock and some decent damage.

Wigglytuff FTW!
2nd October 2009, 1:03 PM
Oh, my sweet Sunkern, you may fail battling, but one day! You shall succeed in the Pokethlon and DESTROY the competition!!! You too Ditto! You guys, and Arceus too, will take revenge on being shunned from competitive battling and OWN the Pokethlon! WOO!
Meh, Sunkern is aforamable, Arceus is, in a sense, God, and Ditto uses a move that only it and Mew can learn, and it builds its entire foundation as Pokemon on it.

Neekerisanni123
3rd October 2009, 6:28 PM
I don't care. In fact,most of my favorites suck in competitive battling,but still,I don't care,because I love them. ^^

Slash4life
4th October 2009, 7:15 AM
When I first ran into a Yanma on my Silver my thoughts were "what the hell was that and do I have any Pokealls?" Same with Sunkern, Pineco, and Hoppip.

Luckster
7th October 2009, 9:47 AM
My team stinks at Wi-Fi battles, or competitive battles in general simply because of type disadvantages. I don't care though. I'm not changing my team anytime soon....well...maybe I'll swap out Hauntz for a Froslass....still thinking about it. I get a lotta ghost fans ragging on me about how I don't have a Froslass and I put a Darkrai on my team instead.

fschulze47
7th October 2009, 12:42 PM
Gallade
I don't think I've ever seen ONE RMT on this site that has Gallade in it, and doesn't have anyone coming up and saying "Replace it with Lucario. Lucario is better". 99% of people just keep on saying that Gallade is outclassed by Lucario, Infernape, and Machamp. However, with all of that being said, and Gallade being my favorite Pokemon, I did some research, and made a beastly Gallade/Ninjask combo, making Gallade just as good as Lucario/Infernape/Machamp (well, maybe >_>;; ). I also use AquaMilotic's philosophy.

You are not saying WHY. Sure, Gallade has its uses and a little more special bulk and support moves, but Lucario can take advantage of your ninjask combo too, and become even MORE beastly with it. It's perfectly ok to use your favorites, you just have to come up with something it can do that lucario CAN'T. "just because he's cool looking" isn't really an arguement. Gallade can be used as a lead and a support pokemon, but if you want to sweep, Lucario outclasses it.

I feel the same way whenever I hear people say that Lucario outclasses Gallade, which is very often.

Gardevoir
Not really a favorite of mine, but I use it. Outclassed by Alakazam for sweeping, but is still good for support.

Magmortar
One of my favorites, outclassed by Infernape for sweeping, but still good for Stealth Rock and some decent damage.

That being said, poor Flareon :( and Ninetales has it rough too. And my all time favorite, Espeon, is outclassed by Alakazam and Gengar, but he can thrive in UU with the proper support.

LightingKimba
7th October 2009, 11:14 PM
And my all time favorite, Espeon, is outclassed by Alakazam and Gengar, but he can thrive in UU with the proper support.

When Alakazam and Gengar get Baton Pass, THEN Espeon would be outclassed. :/

I generally hate my favorites. I do realize how ironic that statement is, but I do detest everything I like, despite how much I, in reality, care for those same things. It's generally a subject of skill and opinion whether or not the pokémon you cherish are really good or not.

Sure, a pokémon like Floatzel or Manectric would suck normally under average player vs. average player conditions, but hey, if you like it, why care what others think? It's your prerogative, is it not? Why bother caring about other's opinions when you can't accept your own, a la Marilyn pre-Ash & co. meeting? ... I think I said something smart.

Pokemon-Dratini
7th October 2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah your right....I love mareep, pichu, aipom, swinub, and a few others but theyre useless in competetive battling, although personally i use pigeot sometimes, and its a rather strong battler, my raichu too (which i know some people think is really bad, but i dont agree)

Slash4life
8th October 2009, 5:58 AM
I seriously love ursaring. But he's so slow...

[Ampharos]
8th October 2009, 6:19 AM
Ampharossss.
He's hella slow for an electric type, which are typically quite fast.
He can set up screens and stuff, but there are just generally better pokemon for that.
And he gets owned by ground types.

Entei and Flareon are also both pokemon that have the potential, but just don't work with their lack of moves.

blaziken#1
12th October 2009, 12:36 AM
gallade i saw it had high attack and just trained one at lv100 i found its health and defense stink

KKInu
13th October 2009, 11:05 AM
No, because I"m not a competitive battler so I can still pwn in game trainers and do okay 50&#37; of the time the occasional times I battle my friends.

Zonn13
14th October 2009, 2:30 AM
You are not saying WHY. Sure, Gallade has its uses and a little more special bulk and support moves, but Lucario can take advantage of your ninjask combo too, and become even MORE beastly with it. It's perfectly ok to use your favorites, you just have to come up with something it can do that lucario CAN'T. "just because he's cool looking" isn't really an arguement. Gallade can be used as a lead and a support pokemon, but if you want to sweep, Lucario outclasses it.

For one, I never wound up using the Ninjask. I decided it was a dumb idea.

Yes, Lucario is better for sweeping, that is a set in stone FACT. BUT, for support and bulkiness, Gallade outclasses Lucario big time.

As for things that Gallade can do that Lucario CAN'T, there are quite a few things.

For example, Gallade has the upper hand of moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunderwave to help cover his Defense/Speed. Lucario does not.

I never said it had anything to do with the fact that he looks cool.

I am not trying to be rude, but I am a little tired of saying this stuff about Gallade and Lucario.

fschulze47
14th October 2009, 3:48 AM
For one, I never wound up using the Ninjask. I decided it was a dumb idea.

Yes, Lucario is better for sweeping, that is a set in stone FACT. BUT, for support and bulkiness, Gallade outclasses Lucario big time.

As for things that Gallade can do that Lucario CAN'T, there are quite a few things.

For example, Gallade has the upper hand of moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunderwave to help cover his Defense/Speed. Lucario does not.

I never said it had anything to do with the fact that he looks cool.

I am not trying to be rude, but I am a little tired of saying this stuff about Gallade and Lucario.

Well, there you go, exactly what I was looking for. The Gallade Lead set is also better than the Lucario one IMO.

And no, you're not being rude at all. And I know you said nothing about it looking cool, but I was assuming you at least thought it, I know I do :)