PDA

View Full Version : Hydro pump or surf?

sphealmaster9000
2nd June 2009, 5:25 PM
Im trying to decide which to put on my piplup. its 4 levels away from learning hydro pump and i just got surf.

Im unsure of where this would go, so i put it here.
Feel free to move it if its in the wrong spot.

Edit: Typos.

Edit 2: Incase the current moveset helps, it's
Bubblebeam
Grass knot
Brine
And drill peck.

ScorpioStarmie
3rd June 2009, 12:20 AM
I would take hydro pump b/c it is tougher and surf stays forever 0_0

Charaligatr
3rd June 2009, 12:31 AM
I would take hydro pump b/c it is tougher and surf stays forever 0_0

Yep, it stays forever...or at least until you get to canalave and the move deleter.

As for which move to use, it's the classic "Accuracy vs Power" decision. Hydro pump has 120 base power, but 80% accuracy, whereas Surf only has 95 base power but 100% accuracy.

Personally, I'd go with surf. Whilst the added power of hydro pump seems like a good deal, the accuracy will let you down from time to time. Plus, having surf means you don't have to waste a party slot with a HM slave for it.

Cruisercard
3rd June 2009, 4:24 AM
The extra accuracy can save you, and extra PP isn't a bad thing either so the choice is Surf.

mxe567
3rd June 2009, 4:26 AM
I prefer surf because of the better accuracy...that miss with hydro pump could cost you the battle:)

SlaytanicFanatic
4th June 2009, 1:44 AM
Surf- mos def. It took me along time to figure out that super powerful moves aren't always the best. Surf has much better accuracy- and more pp.

foxyman1167
4th June 2009, 1:52 AM
Surf, basically because it is more reliable.

masterleo
4th June 2009, 2:45 AM
I think It depends on weather your using piplup in-game or training it from online play

Surf is much better in-game, but hydro pump can be A good move in online play

Swampert_trainer
4th June 2009, 3:32 AM
Hydro Pump will often let you down in a pinch due to its 80% accuracy. I say go with surf for the same reasons stated above. It has better accuracy, you won't have to waste party space on an HM user, and surf is still pretty powerful.

limitedmage
4th June 2009, 3:53 PM
I'd go with surf. Better accuracy, more PP, and useful out of battle.

Faithless
4th June 2009, 7:31 PM
95 base power is a respectable amount even compared to 120.Surf also has 10 more PP and better accuracy and it's also more helpful in the game not having to waste a space for a HM Slave.

sphealmaster9000
5th June 2009, 12:27 AM
While this thread is still here, i think i should probably ask my other question instead of making an entirely new thread:

Anyone know where to train special attack?

BynineB
5th June 2009, 12:31 AM
Surf: 95 x 1.00 = 95.
Hydro Pump: 120 x 0.80 = 96.
Although Hydro Pump has a small power advantage overall, the PP factor makes it less viable.
Try training Special Attack in the pond in the Resort Area. Many Golduck. :3

espeon13x
5th June 2009, 12:50 AM
turnback cave on haunters for special attack. and most definitely surf.

PsychedelicJellyfish
5th June 2009, 12:53 AM
Surf. Better accuracy and more PP. Moves with lower accuracy always miss when you really can't afford it.

coolespeon
6th June 2009, 6:41 PM
In competitive battle, hydro pump is the best choice, but I have to say that you have to go with surf. It has better accuracy and more PP, so it could be better. But you can get a HM slave to make it learn that move(tentacool, tentacruel; they can learn the water HM´s)

Erik Destler
12th June 2009, 3:57 PM
This isn't really the section for that. :[