PDA

View Full Version : Platinum vs Diamond

evoxpisces
5th June 2009, 3:35 AM
I just got Platinum for my bday and I already have Diamond. Should I keep Platinum and get rid of Diamond? Or Keep Diamond, get rid of Diamond? Or keep both? I already played through Diamond and I'm sure Platinum is the same thing pretty much. But I have no need for 2 copies of practically the same game. With that said, I wouldn't mind starting over on Platinum if that's the one I decide to keep. What do you think?

coolespeon
5th June 2009, 3:39 AM
Keep both. The storyline is almost the same, but each game has it´s personal touch that will make you love them.

Indy
5th June 2009, 3:47 AM
I own Diamond, Pearl and Platintum. I saw keep 'em. I kept my copies for breeding purposes.

Yellow Aura
5th June 2009, 3:47 AM
Keep both, for pretty much the same reason as above.

Shiny Bashamo
5th June 2009, 10:55 AM
keep both, I also got Diamond and Platinum, I start over platinum sometimes to train some pokémon I hardly use, and after I beat the E4 I trade them to my Diamond game and start over a new game on Platinum.

so you should keep both ^^

Visual
5th June 2009, 11:20 AM
Keep both. I have Diamond and Platinum too. Recently, I use Diamond for breeding.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
5th June 2009, 11:52 AM
I have Diamond, Pearl and Platinum - with Pearl and Platinum in both JP and EU versions. I'd keep them, they can be very useful for breeding, storage (especially as outside of Japan Ranch doesn't work with Platinum) or other reasons, such as pokédex.

PsychedelicJellyfish
5th June 2009, 12:37 PM
Keep both. The move tutors on Platinum are as good a reason as any, they let you get moves on Diamond/Pearl that you couldn't have otherwise.

Alloute
5th June 2009, 12:38 PM
They are all trash to be honest, but keep them anyway.

Lucazard
5th June 2009, 1:14 PM
I have both too as well as Pearl. Keep both no matter what you do.

Pokefan0234
5th June 2009, 1:33 PM
Keep both. Its always nice to have a back-up copy, and you can restart an adventure on one without have to release all your Pokemon. They're good for storage and breeding as well.

Lucariofan-atic
5th June 2009, 1:36 PM
Just keep both! I also have diamond and platinum.
it's useful. i have to trade my Rayquaza from diamond to my cousin's DS, and i trade from her DS to my platinum :D lol, so i have a lv.100 Rayquaza in my party~

Zazie
5th June 2009, 5:35 PM
As everyone else as said keep both. If you really only want to keep one keep Platnum as it is a vast improvement over Diamond and Pearl.

Vaporeon4evr
5th June 2009, 5:38 PM
They are all trash to be honest, but keep them anyway.

Play nice. The 4th Gen isn't all that bad ;)

Keep them both. I abuse my Diamond with AR, so I can use it to breed faster and get TMs and whatnot. But I would never dare touch my Platinum with an Action Replay.

SHINY CATCHER
5th June 2009, 11:42 PM
I have 4 diamonds(2 european,1american and 1 japanese),3 pearl(all european) and 3 platinum(Europe, america and japan). So I recommend you use the other game for breeding purposes or SR(Sofr-resetting)for shiny legends.

tom-tom
6th June 2009, 7:42 AM
both so you can trade

evoxpisces
7th June 2009, 6:54 AM
Wow looks like the answers are unanimous! I guess I will keep both! But to trade you need more than one DS...and I only have the 1 DS. And none of my friends play Pokemon, so I'm on my own when it comes to trading. Unless there's a way to trade between the two with only one DS that I'm not aware of?

Miles "Tails" Prower
7th June 2009, 6:58 AM
Unfortunately, you need 2 DS's to trade with. But keeping both for possible trading in the future is recommended. And like everyone else said, both while similar, are still quite different. And as a plus, you could start a new game in one, and keep the other to complete.

evoxpisces
7th June 2009, 5:44 PM
Okay well it sounds good. I think I'll keep my Platinum game and just restart my Diamond game for whenever I need new Pokemon. Maybe I'll get a used DS just for trading purposes. Anyway, thanks guys! I always thought it was pointless to have more than 1 game per gen, but I guess you all proved me wrong!

Escape Reality
7th June 2009, 8:19 PM
platinum is waaay better. ;) but i'd keep both. ;)

Selfdestruct Togepi
7th June 2009, 8:50 PM
Platinum also fixes a bunch of plot details that were left out of the others 2 games.

foxyman1167
7th June 2009, 8:53 PM
Keep both. Make one a storage cart like I did with my Pearl, so you can easily restart your other files, like I do with my Diamond and Platinum. Don't worry about having two of the same games, as they aren't exactly the same. I have all three versions, and its not a bad idea. Like I said before, getting to use one as a storage file for all your good pokemon is a great idea. If Ranch let me restart Pearl without losing all my pokemon from Pearl, I would definitely do it.

ForeverFlame
7th June 2009, 11:43 PM
Keep them both, obviously. That's a pretty stupid question, IMO.

Pingouin7
8th June 2009, 3:28 AM
Unfortunately, you need 2 DS's to trade with. But keeping both for possible trading in the future is recommended. And like everyone else said, both while similar, are still quite different. And as a plus, you could start a new game in one, and keep the other to complete.

No.

Put a Bidoof named (example) Rubik Cube on the GTS holding a parlyz heal asking for the Pokémon you want to trade over, go on your other game, look for your Bidoof and to be sure it is yours, check for the nickname you chose, the offerer's OT and the Parlyz Heal on it. Then proceed to the trade, you go on your other game and you receive your Pokémon.

#Gecko#
8th June 2009, 3:43 AM
I had the same question except they stole my Platinum so now I'm just with Diamond. Keep both and do kinda like what foxyman1167 said. And if you plan on getting Silver Soul and Gold Heart, buy those and then sell or give Diamond.

SaiyanHikari
8th June 2009, 4:18 AM
Unless you're planning on selling, don't "trash" a pokemon game.
Also, iirc, there's a very small and simple breeding glitch on Diamond/Pearl you can't do on Platinum where you can check the nature of an egg b4 it hatches, so keep Diamond for breeding purposes.
As every1 else said, Platinum is a HUGE improvement. Gym leaders/E4 improved dramatically, Battle Frontier, imo better storyline up until E4 (I find Looker/Handsome to be a hilarious goof), move tutors, MOVING THE POKETCH BACK AND FORTH LOL, etc.

Palamon
12th June 2009, 5:31 AM
Keep both.
For Pokemon purposes breeding purposes ect.
I have all three and I do different things in all my games to make them slightly different.
Keep them both it's a good idea to.

mxe567
12th June 2009, 5:38 AM
Keep both just so u have more storage space...18 boxes are not enough!!!!trust me;)

Volt of Noid
13th June 2009, 10:53 AM
Sorry to ruin the ride here, but I'd say transfer all your diamond pokes to plat and play through plat because it has new features including battle frontier. Just sell diamond for cash. I got diamond and if i had plat i wud sell it off.

The Dean of Suds
13th June 2009, 10:34 PM
Keep them, it's nice to have multiple copies.