PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Ranger or Shadows of Almia? (Opinions?)

Muno
16th June 2009, 12:55 AM
Hey guys!
I was considering getting Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia for my birthday.
I'm more interested in getting one of them for the game-exclusive pokemon, but a good story/game play would be nice too!

The Dean of Suds
16th June 2009, 2:21 AM
Ranger has manaphy, and it's harder due to a less forgiving catch system. In Ranger, if you miss the circle once you have to start over, in the new one you get a bar that slowly goes down if you stop circling, making it much easier to capture pokemon in general. Both stories and play hours are about the same, so it's all up to you. I personally liked the first one, but it's personal preference.

pokemonmaster3.0
16th June 2009, 3:02 PM
I think Almia ais a bit better. As my brother showed me on his Ranger, it is way harder to capture then in Almia.

ForeverFlame
16th June 2009, 5:29 PM
It's harder to catch Pokemon in Ranger, but I think the first one is funner. The second one can get really boring at times (the prologue took me like two hours to trek through...), and it seemed a bit too childish (the whole friendship theme... gag. it was like watching the anime all over again). Not to mention that the plot twists in it were so obvious I laughed uncontrollably at the stupidity of it all.

I would personally get the first Pokemon Ranger before Shadows of Almia. It's 3rd generaton, so there's no Sinnoh Pokemon, but it's a fun, challenging game. You just have to watch out for Steelix, Charizard, and Entei. Those three Pokemon were killer to capture.

And there are some references in Shadows of Almia that you'll only get if you've played the first one. You can also get Manaphy from the first one by entering a code into your game.

Yellow Aura
16th June 2009, 5:43 PM
Well, the second ones are always better all around, like, catching is easier, better graphics, and you can get some cool mission pokemon off the Wi-Fi missions. But if you're up for a challenge, get the first one.

Luxraylover
17th June 2009, 7:40 PM
i personaly like the first better its more of a challenge but it dose get realy hard some times and is kinda stupid with how many circles you need for some pokemon like in that place with the enti statue how come salamance you had to circle 23 times but enti you only had to cirle 10 times i mean enti is a legendary pokemon it should be harder.

P.S: I realy need help for the special missins in ranger i dont know how to get the manaphy egg one i beet all the others but the manaphy egg whont come up wat am i suppose to do please pm me

LadyCharizard
17th June 2009, 8:05 PM
Shadows of Almia hands down.

I found the storyline to be more interesting in SoA than the prequel. I never liked Ranger 1's mechanics, so I never bought it. I'd give it a spin if somone else bought it for me, but I prefer Shadows of Almia because of the game mechanics and the characters. Especially Keith.

*tackle hugs and cuddles Keith*

Dragon of miracle
18th June 2009, 4:47 PM
Of course, Almia is better. With Doduo, Staraptor, Driffblim and the others, it's so much cooler than Fiore.

thepomster
18th June 2009, 7:06 PM
what pokemon do you get from the second one that you can trade to platinum?

LadyCharizard
18th June 2009, 8:23 PM
Darkrai, Riolu w/Aura Sphere and a Manaphy egg.

Though I think the events are expired now...

TurtwigFan1
18th June 2009, 9:40 PM
It's a toss-up for me. Number 1 was just a classic, yet it is quite easy now and I can complete it in 6 and a half hours. However, it's very hard on your first try.

SoA was better for captures, Pokémon and story length. I loved the new characters, although the story never seemed to get going for me. I loved it all however, but the storyline all seemed to happen at once. Also, you get Manaphy, Darkrai and Riolu from this, instead of just Manaphy.

So yeah, it's personal preference. If you want to see the original game, get Number 1. If you just want to jump into the improved version, it's SoA. But one thing is that SoA does have a loooooong beginning and references you won't get without playing Number 1.

Alloute
18th June 2009, 9:46 PM
Almia was bigger, it had a nice long plot/story.

More Pokemon available. Very nice.

FlameRose
19th June 2009, 8:46 PM
Almia. Hands down.

The plot is longer, so you'll be entertained more. The captures are easier then in the first game and make much more sense. You can have a variety of partners instead of just Plusle/Minun. Graphics are even better then before. The characters, heroes or villains, are fun and well thought out. I'd reccomend it over the 1st one ANY day.

Nidoprince
20th June 2009, 5:04 AM
Shadows of Almia!!! It has more Pokemon, more transferables, and the plot is better. But get both eventually, if you get the old ranger, you can get the transferables, then trade them over wifi for the best deals. I traded an old Ranger manaphy and got a shiny impish Ralts...the exact nature I wanted for a Gallade on my team.

Golde
20th June 2009, 8:47 AM
BOTTOM LINE

Ranger has a much better storyline. It's not kiddified, and it's still pretty awesome. However, it's short as heck.

Ranger:SoA is long, with many, many sie missions. However, the storyline sucks and is so kiddy I couldn't stand it.

If you can handle it, I recommend SoA. However, if you're after exclusive pokemon, I believe that Ranger is the only one you can still get stuff in.

Sapphire Phoenix
21st June 2009, 4:44 PM
I'd say SoA, mainly because Ranger can get really annoying with catching Pokemon. Save you some frustration, get SoA...

But Ranger is the only one you can still get exclusive PKMN on... of course, you have to go though the whole game before you can get it >.>

So, it depends on what you want more: Exclusive Pokemon... or a fun gaming experiance :/

(s.i.e)
22nd June 2009, 12:44 PM
ask the most expensive one of the two and buy the other one yourself later. they are both decent games in my opinion you should really try them.

Short Wing
23rd June 2009, 7:11 AM
Shadows of Almia had a better story line, and was obliviously improved on from Ranger, and the capture styler system was much easier.
Although I preferred the characters from Ranger, mainly for Plusle and Minun *Hugs*
but SoA allows you more partner pokemon, than just the rodent twins.

glowing_light010
27th June 2009, 10:51 PM
i think shadows of almia was better.
the first ranger was too easy,
the 2nd i actually found it to be more of a challenge.

suicune lover
30th June 2009, 8:28 PM
IMO SoA was better

You could choose your partner, go on side quests, get pokemon to fly/ help you outside of battle
Just a load more stuff to do

(s.i.e)
2nd July 2009, 11:07 AM
seeing as there are only opinions here that don't cooperate with eachother why won't the first poster check the main site to compare them himself if he is still interested?