PDA

View Full Version : In-Game AI Switching moments

The Thunderbird
23rd June 2009, 9:01 AM
Normally, swapping out Pokemon is a common and critical strategy in the competitive battling scene. However, swapping out Pokemon is also done on occasion by the AI players as well. Has that ever happened to you? Discuss your occurrences of AI switching on D/P/Pt here. In Pearl, I remember when a Fisherman swapped out a Magikarp when it was up against my Gengar. On Platinum, I remember when Cynthia swapped out Togekiss when it was up against Luxray and sent in Garchomp. My rival also switched once.

Alloute
23rd June 2009, 9:03 AM
Yes, Team Galactic in Platinum used to switch around a lot.

And I think the E4 do as well, it messes up my strategy.

foxyman1167
23rd June 2009, 4:37 PM
Yeah, I made the dumb mistake of using Leech Seed on Medicham, but Candice switched to Abomasnow, who then proceeded to KO my Torterra with Avalanche.

growlithe_master
24th June 2009, 11:35 PM
my jynx used perish song, then was fainted. the game switched when the perish song count fell to one.

Screeling
25th June 2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, it happens occasionally to me as well. And sometimes the switch is even an intelligent one.

foxyman1167
26th June 2009, 12:08 AM
Today in my Diamond, Aaron of the Elite 4 switched his Drapion out to avoid an Earthquake from my Rampardos, and he smartly switched to Beautifly. Beautifly got OHKO'd by Rock Slide right after, but regardless it was a good switch.

Pucca_ness
26th June 2009, 3:35 PM
In Platinum an ace trainer on the raining route next to veilstone switched when my Machamp was fighting his Gligar. He switched to his Drifblim <_< what a tool.

Cynthia usually switches Spiritomb if she's already used a full restore and i've still not killed it and my rival's Staraptor uses U-turn alot but i don't know if that counts. Quite a few things have switched i just can't remember who.

CombeeKing
1st July 2009, 2:46 AM
xD YES!
I Was Using My Bronzong;437; to Set Up Trick Room (To Test It In The Battle Tower)
And it Switched Out From Chimchar To A Slower Pokemon That KOd Me, I Forgot Which Pokemon.

Nana
1st July 2009, 6:45 AM
I know it's happened more than this one time, but I can only specifically remember my rival switching out.

Rainy_Day
1st July 2009, 6:48 AM
I don't remember anyone except the "tough" trainers (like Gym Leaders, E4, rival, etc.) switching out in Diamond or Platinum. But I have noticed it a LOT in Platinum (except the Battle Frontier, which is surprising), and I've really enjoyed that! Sure, it can mess up my strategy sometimes (especially when I'm sort of trying to EV train), but it's cool to see the trainers actually be somewhat smart finally!

Affirmative
1st July 2009, 12:12 PM
I saw frequent swaps when I had my Shedinja from Pearl (originated from Em.) out in Platinum.

LadyMiir
10th October 2009, 8:03 PM
I had a moment of accidental great switch prediction when battling Cynthia. I was hammering away on her Spiritomb with my Houndoom's dark type moves, and had already forced her to use a Full Restore. I was about two or three hits away from killing it, and decided to switch to a Fire type move to save my PP due to Pressure. On the turn I selected Flamethrower, she switched... I was terrified she'd bring out Garchomp, but...

... out came Lucario. Which promptly took a Flamethrower to the face and was knocked out. Things went downhill from there for Cynthia, everything else was a OHKO, and my Froslass finished the match in fine style with a critical Blizzard that wiped out her Roserade.

On hindsight, I understand the AI's switch, I'd only been using Dark moves beforehand and so it thought switching in a fighting type would make sense. But I got really lucky with my timing, and it got unlucky in the fact that Lucario is also a steel type.

GengarNightmare
10th October 2009, 9:00 PM
The AI usually switches for 3 reasons:

1. Their pokemon has no moves to use on you (immunity)
2. The AI switches because it was programmed to do so. This happens a lot in battle tower so that the AI can pull off certain strategies. (i.e. induce status and switch)
3. Totally random switch*

*I'm not sure if the AI will randomly switch, but sometimes the switch seems to happen without reason.

But yeah, it happens to me.

EDIT: 140 posts = volcano trainer. Woot!