PDA

View Full Version : What can WE incorporate into the games to add a spice of difference?

freddo from sinnoh
4th July 2009, 10:59 PM
OK. We all want new ways to play Pokemon. We have the D/P scramble challenge, we have chaining for shinies, we have competetive battling. But what more can we do? I made this thread to come up with ideas to incorporate into the games.

we currently have:

-Competetive Battling
-The Scramble Challenge (etc.)
-Chaining
-And a load of other stuff.

Discuss your ideas!

I have one. Contest battling. Basically like competetive battling but your Pokemon needs a Master Ribbon in that category (or something like that, or not at all.) and moves all in that category. You make the EV spread accordingly, and the moves, etc.

Discuss ideas.

Concept
4th July 2009, 11:27 PM
Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore.

Scramble challenge- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=218623&highlight=monotype).

Monotype challenge- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=359187&highlight=monotype).

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger - Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 3, for example, against Gardenia?

MEDIUM:

Speedrun: Play through the game as fast as possible. This is partly luck based, partly patience based and partly good planning. (credit to BlitzBlast).

No saving before legendaries- about as self-explanitory as it gets.

No Evolution: You aren't allowed to evolve your pokemon. (credit to ayeepryll)

HARD:

Paul style challenge - Only use pokemon with a type disadvantage against the gym leaders (eg, only Staravia and Chimchar against Roark, etc) credit to foxyman1167.

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves. This mode can also be altered to be only not using potions, or not using hold items for example.

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. Or, if your chosen pokemon can't be caught early in the game, trade for it; ths might actually be harder, as if you overtrain early on it won't obey you (thanks to MKFC for pointing that out). I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

Hardcore mode- Any pokemon that faints gets released. Death is permanant!

Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.) (credit to [Super-Fjord]

A few ideas. Credit given where someone else came up with the idea. I'm currently doing gym challenger, it's surprisingly tricky. Another thing I recommend is going into options and changing the battle mode from "shift" to "set". What this does is makes the game no longer give you the option off a free switch when you faint an opponents pokemon; if you want to switch, you gotta switch into your opponents free attack the same as the AI has to. Certainly increases the challenge factor for casual players such as myself, as it deprives you of a rather unfair advantage over the AI, although I'd imagine competitive players are used to it.

freddo from sinnoh
4th July 2009, 11:30 PM
A few ideas. Credit given where someone else came up with the idea.

I have seen those, but I want to stray away from 'Challenger runs' for now.

WynautQueen
5th July 2009, 12:48 AM
Wow, some of these are really interesting. Hardcore mode is scary. O_o Plus, I get too attached to my Pokemon.

I've been meaning to try a speed run sometime though.

brandyjay
5th July 2009, 12:58 AM
Not as bad as the limited items would be to only use items you find on the ground. wouldn't be as hard though.

Zenotwapal
5th July 2009, 4:49 AM
Never use a pokemon Center to heal a pokemon. Can only use Berrys and items found on the ground.
Can not use more than 2 pokemon, unless for HM Slave use.
Cannot run away from wild pokemon.
You must battle every trainer you come across.

Some i thought up of.

Victreebong
5th July 2009, 7:28 PM
Never use a pokemon Center to heal a pokemon. Can only use Berrys and items found on the ground.
Can not use more than 2 pokemon, unless for HM Slave use.
Cannot run away from wild pokemon.
You must battle every trainer you come across.

Some i thought up of.

Now that is insane. Especially no Pokemon Centers, you'd be doing a lot of reseting to avoid sporadic critical hits. Not to mention there's not THAT many potions on the ground, so Pick up should be the first priority. What about PP...?

Concept
5th July 2009, 7:32 PM
Now that is insane. Especially no Pokemon Centers, you'd be doing a lot of reseting to avoid sporadic critical hits. Not to mention there's not THAT many potions on the ground, so Pick up should be the first priority. What about PP...?

PP is indeed the main issue with a no pokemon centre run. It's been discussed at length, and it's pretty much impossible after a while. It'd be interesting to see how far you could get though.

Mankanshoku Mako
5th July 2009, 7:40 PM
Hardcore mode is just stupid.

"Oh no! My shiny level 100 perfectly EVd adamant garchomp fainted! Oh well, I guess I'll have to realese it."

Concept
5th July 2009, 7:49 PM
Hardcore mode is just stupid.

"Oh no! My shiny level 100 perfectly EVd adamant garchomp fainted! Oh well, I guess I'll have to realese it."

Firstly; no-one's forcing you to do it. Secondly; if you have a level 100 perfectly EV'd adamant Garchomp on a playthrough of the game, you have way too much time on your hands. Those challenges were designed for brand new playthroughs of the game, from the beginning; not the game where you keep all your competitive team and whatnot. Obviously you'd trade any pokemon you wanted to keep before restarting for the challenge. And if you then traded your competitive team back to play through the game from the beginning, then there's really no point in doing a challenge for it anyway.

Zimiii
5th July 2009, 8:06 PM
My idea: Shiny battling. Like your contest battling, but all pokemon have to be shinies. These battles would have less perfect IV/Nature pokemon.

Biodragon
5th July 2009, 9:09 PM
One idea would be to use the first 6 pokemon you catch for the entire game. You can't use any other pokemon so make sure to choose one's that can learn the HM's.

The other idea I once tried is to go thru the game using your starter, a flyer, and the 4 other pokemon chosen either at random, or pokemon that are version exclusive. I remember doing something like this once in red, had my starter, jigglepuff, clefairy, bellsprout, Butterfree and beedrill. I think that was it anyway. So yeah maybe not using a flyer the entire game for an added challenge.

freddo from sinnoh
6th July 2009, 6:13 PM
My idea: Shiny battling. Like your contest battling, but all pokemon have to be shinies. These battles would have less perfect IV/Nature pokemon.

There's that, but on my main forum many people use Pokesav, so you could still do it.

Ellie
6th July 2009, 8:44 PM
Moved to My DP Games.

11wildy
8th July 2009, 10:43 AM
What about you only learn pokemon moves they learn by leveling up? When not using TM's, breeding or tutors you are highly limited. Combine that with a monotype run and it'll become a really hard challenge.

Calm PokeMaster
10th July 2009, 9:36 AM
Surf races?

I know,its pretty dumb but I think it would go far on the DS system.

Beotium
11th July 2009, 9:06 AM
It's a short challenge but how about getting as fast max money as possible?
Beat all trainers
Sell all you items
no trade of course
no underground
no Pickup-ability
Who's the fastest?

icedarkwatertype
29th July 2009, 3:56 AM
use only a certain gender orno raising them above a certain level like 30. combine the level thing with any challenge, and lo and behold, a challenge worth striving to beat.and if you raise a pokemon above the level, you HAVE to release all pokemon in your party! so whaddya think? ^_^

foxyman1167
29th July 2009, 6:28 AM
Randomly changing forests and caves... or trainer teams.

Pingouin7
29th July 2009, 6:58 AM
PP is indeed the main issue with a no pokemon centre run. It's been discussed at length, and it's pretty much impossible after a while. It'd be interesting to see how far you could get though.
Go to any PC in the game, deposit your Pokémon in the box, take it back and voilŕ. :)

RNG.

It's a short challenge but how about getting as fast max money as possible?
Beat all trainers
Sell all you items
no trade of course
no underground
no Pickup-ability
Who's the fastest?
No Vs. Seeker either.

Pachirissu!!
11th August 2009, 12:21 AM
I've done a Shroomish-only run on Ruby once.. I saw this guy on Youtube who did it with a Hoppip on Silver. My shroomish had almost the same attacks lol. x)

Something like:

-Mega Drain
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Headbutt or w/e.

It was so cool, in the end my Shroomish was level 65 when it beat Steven x)
That one was tricky, as I'm sure you can imagine :p

11wildy
21st August 2009, 3:20 PM
Maybe we could do something like, you must have 6 pokemon. Every pokemon must defeat 2 gyms/E4 trainers by himself. Use all pokemon on the E4 champion.

Tyranitar trainer
27th August 2009, 4:59 PM
I have loads
.Pokemon can only have physical attacks
.Pokemon can only have special attacks
.All pokemon must have nature that hinder them
.Must have the same pokemon as a Gym Leader from any region
.Can only use standalone pokemon
.Have a whole team of the same pokemon

11wildy
8th September 2009, 7:48 PM
Or like, a monotype run, but you must release pokemon who fainted. Just catch another nearby where you are.

Kiruria
11th September 2009, 7:24 AM
Must have the same pokemon as a Gym Leader from any region

The problem is that most gym leaders have 3 or fewer Pokemon. Now if we included the Elite 4... Which reminds me, I almost have Cynthia's team in Diamond...

Some more challenges:

The Damage-Only Challenge
All of the attacks on your Pokemon must do damage, and cannot have any added effects (status problems, stat reduction, switch prevention, etc.) Recharge attacks like Hyper Beam and multi-turn attacks like Rollout and Outrage can still be used, but no Uproar because it prevents sleep, and no U-Turn.

The Variety Challenge
No two Pokemon on your team can have the same type or attack. For example, you can't have two Ghost Pokemon on your team, nor can you have two Pokemon with Earthquake.

The No-Item Challenge:
You cannot use or make your Pokemon hold items during a battle with a gym leader, Elite Four member, Galactic admin, or your rival. Also, you cannot use items between Elite Four battles.

The Anime Challenge
You may only use Pokemon that were used by a character in the anime who has appeared in at least three episodes (or is a gym leader). Before you get your sixth badge, make sure all your Pokemon know only attacks they have been told to use in the anime by that trainer.

For this challenge, it helps to nickname the Pokemon after its trainer in the anime, or to keep a list of which trainer each Pokemon belongs to somewhere. This challenge can be interpreted as a way to control the anime characters' Pokemon!

The Random Challenge
Use a random number generator to pick six numbers between 1 and 200. The numbers refer to the Pokemon's Sinnoh Dex number. (For games other than D/P, refer to their own dexes.) Those six Pokemon are your team. (It's possible to get duplicates of a Pokemon species.) If the Pokemon is a stage 2 like Poliwhirl, you may capture it as a Poliwag, but you can't evolve it after it has become a Poliwhirl. If the Pokemon is unobtainable on your game before facing the Elite Four (like Feebas), either cheat/trade to obtain it or pick another number.

In this challenge, you may not catch any Pokemon other than those on your team. However, there are exceptions:
-Your starter. Keep your starter until you catch one of the Pokemon on your team; when you do that, release the starter. (Unless the starter is or evolves to one of the Pokemon you randomly picked.)
-If only the evolved form of the Pokemon you want to catch is obtainable, you may catch the Pokemon necessary to breed one. Release those Pokemon once the egg hatches. (This is useful if one of your random Pokemon is Happiny or something. Keep in mind Pichu and Cleffa can be caught in the wild in D/P.)

kiwi-kauri-kid
23rd December 2010, 6:59 AM
As I said in a previous thread-
- A runthrough of Sinnoh WITHOUT restarting, so you're forced to use and train an entirely new team.
Never decided what to do in place of Gym leaders, though :/

Pokémon Trainer Xande
10th March 2011, 2:51 AM
A Nuzlocke challenge(believe me,it at least sounds hard).