View Full Version : Emerald Playthrough

21st July 2009, 1:37 PM
Ok I want to start my emerald over, so one thing I like to do is plan out my team and movesets. So people of Serebii, I ask thee in thy assistance.

;257; ;282; ;295; ;130; ;373;

Blaziken ;257;
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace

Gardevoir ;282;
-Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

Gyarados ;130;
-Ice Beam

Salamance ;373;
-Dragon Claw

Exploud ;295;
-Sleep Talk

HM Slave

This Playthrough, my second one, I want to have a different experience. Of course I had to choose Blaziken again, I love that pokemon. Also, I chose Gardevoir, even though I've had it in previous playthroughs, on ruby, because it's awesome. Then I chose Gyarados as my water type, because I have always thought using a Gyarados would be cool. Then Salamance, because I like those kind of Dragon Pokemon, as in Garchomp and Dragonite. Finally Exploud, since normal doesn't have too many weaknesses, and Exploud looks like a cool pokemon to try out. Also, the HM Slave will probably be Tropious, or a water type with Dive and Waterfall. Well, that's it. How does it sound?

21st July 2009, 2:09 PM
You need to replace Gyarados' Twister asap. I'd go with Thunderbolt if I were you, it'll help when you're up against the E4.

Resttalking is a bit redundant in-game imo. Exploud has a fantastic movepool, so unless you just want to try out that set I suggest you replace those two moves. Potions are pretty effective.

21st July 2009, 11:05 PM
thanks, and since i need alot of those tms, where is a good place to make money later in the game? and what should i turn exploud's moveset into?

Yo Shee
21st July 2009, 11:21 PM
Since this is only a planned team, this is a great time to make some changes.

Shadow Ball would be better suited to Exploud than it would be to Gardevoir because of his higher attack stat and since Shadow Ball is a physical attack.

Gyarados is one oddball of a water-type, with a base attack stat that's more than twice its special attack base. I would consider how much more damage it could potentially do with Dragon Dance and attacking with Earthquake/Return than you could do with any of those moves. Thunderbolt would be a waste since you already have it on Gardevoir, who not only has a much higher sp.attack stat, but can also boost with Calm Mind. If you're using him against Wallace, you won't see the "It's super effective!" message as often, but it will still do tons more damage. And since you'll be giving him Earthquake, Blaziken no longer needs it.

Psyduck is a great HM slave.

21st July 2009, 11:29 PM
thanks, and since i need alot of those tms, where is a good place to make money later in the game?

Afaik the stronger the trainer is, the more money s/he'll give you. So all you need to do is rebattle some some strong trainers.

If you don't feel like doing that there's another option - Thunder with or without Rain Dance.

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Rain Dance/Hyper Beam/Return

Rain boost Thunder's accuracy and Surf's power and yadda yadda. I hope that set doesn't look too messy and confusing.

and what should i turn exploud's moveset into?

Exploud's movepool is so vast it would take a long time for me to list all his options. Just pick four moves you like and I'm sure it'll do fine. You can't really go wrong. Even resttalking is a decent option; if you're using all you money to buy TMs you probably won't be packing 99 Hyper Potions anyway.

22nd July 2009, 6:35 PM
Thanks, I really like that Gyarados moveset, so I think i'll stick with that, and I guess, I'll just see how Exploud turns out.