PDA

View Full Version : Rule #3

Pandeji
30th September 2009, 2:39 PM
"3. Don't spam
Basically, posts that contribute nothing to the thread or topic."

Recently, I have received two infractions for such "spamming."
I'm not saying I did or did not deserve them, and I'm not trying to yell around by saying the mods aren't doing their jobs, but could I have a little clarification on this?

For example, person A says something. Person B takes offense to that and makes a comment about it. Then, person A apologizes for saying it.

By spamming "rules," BOTH people are contributing nothing to the topic. Who gets an infraction, if anybody?

In addition, because the rule is clearly subjective, could there be any further explanation to the rule?
(The rule is subjective being that certain things can be perceived as "topical" or "nontopical" - I'll explain in a moment.)

I'll use my previous example. Person A says something topical (or something nontopical, but in a post that isn't spam), but person B finds it rude. They are commenting to try to preserve the integrity of the thread, by expressing what they feel isn't good. Certainly, trying to uphold the ideas of the thread is not "spam," correct?
Then, person A, in an attempt to correct his wrongdoing, posts in a way that shows that he was merely being jovial in his previous post, and meant no offense to person B. Again, while this may be nontopical, it certainly wasn't posted in a way that showed intentional "spamming."

So, to paraphrase, I'm just asking how spamming infractions and whatnot actually work. Is it the motive behind the post that gives reason? Is it dependant on if the post was reported or not? Or are we all just at the random whims of mods who can pull infractions whenever they deem people to be spamming (this sounds ranty, but really I'm honestly just asking)?

Thank you for your time, mods (as I hope they will be the ones responding to this).

razor fire
30th September 2009, 3:21 PM
http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=292404 There is a FAQ where you can ask questions. You can also contact a mod.

SPAM = Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.
Basically that means people that posts something completely irrelevant.
Discussing can be counted as something completely different depending on the stuff the post contains. If the discussion is about the topic and is not something off-topic it should not be counted as spam.

Ellie
30th September 2009, 4:05 PM
razor fire you are not a mod and not in a place to be judging what spam is :/

Honestly, it depends on what section you are in, how far offtopic you went, and who infracts you for it. As you said, "spam" is a very subjective rule. I can't see what post your latest infraction was for since it got deleted and I don't mod that section so I can't view it, but the second-latest one was definitely spam. You responded to another poster (in a somewhat flaming matter, may I add) with something completely not to do with the topic of discussion, just to tell him what not to post in the thread. If you have specific questions, you should contact the mod who gave the infraction or a different mod of the same section if the infraction-er doesn't respond.

Pandeji
1st October 2009, 6:40 AM
Sigh...
It's unfortunate that it's such a strange ruling.

Here's what went down. I was being rude to _______, who was being really spammy and rude in a RMT thread. So, in asking if I could use the suggested team, I tagged in a little comment saying I wasn't being sarcastic and ________ WAS. Then he made a comment responding to what I said. So I responded by apologizing in a teasing way (saying "What? Who said that? Where did you see THAT post?") I don't think this should be considered spamming, as I was simply trying to make amends for what I did earlier.

But I feel sorta like it COULD be spamming.
I'd just like clarification because my intent wasn't to distract from the topic, to randomly up my post count, and I got another infraction for spamming (which I understand was spamming).
It's just confusing.

Ellie
1st October 2009, 6:46 AM
Well, the rule is if it's not on the topic of the discussion taking place, it can be counted as spam. If you want to apologize to someone, you should PM or VM them, not post in the topic. If you feel like it could be spamming, then it probably is spamming.

Pandeji
1st October 2009, 2:40 PM
Mmmk so basically for the most part never go off-topic?
Thanks a ton for clearing this up, Ellie.
:3