PDA

View Full Version : Which shipping(s) do you not understand? READ THE FIRST POST.

Chelc
2nd October 2009, 7:12 PM
It's a rainy day, and I'm sick. So, I think of things like this. ;222;

Which shipping(s) do you not understand? THIS IS NOT A WHICH SHIPPING DO YOU HATE? TOPIC. THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO BASH ANY SHIPPINGS. DO EITHER OF THESE THINGS, AND YOU WILL BE INFRACTED. This is for people who have tried to understand why people ship x-character and y-character, yet still do not see how anyone can possibly ship them together. This is where supporters of said ship come in, and reply with reasons as to why they support the ship.

If that sounds confusing, here's an example of what I mean:

Questioning Shipper - I don't understand why people support Pearlshipping. I've tried to find the moments in the episodes, and I've read some fics and looked at fan art, but I'm just not getting it. Can a Pearlshipper help me out?

[Pearl/whichever]shipper - I support Pearlshipping because...[reasons here]...and here is a list of the moments in the show [listed here]. I hope this information helps you better understand Pearlshipping.

Make sense? :p If you still have questions, just lemme know by VM or PM.

Now, why did I create this topic? I think everyone here should try to be more open minded when it comes to shipping, and try to look "outside the box." I realize that not everyone limits themselves to certain ships, but I think many people might learn a thing or two in this thread. With all that said, have fun! :]

Yeti
2nd October 2009, 9:45 PM
Aight I feel this.

Straight up I have been pondering since DP was released how people can support Conjunctionshipping :\
It makes no sense to me, Mars is underage and Saturn is too young for her really she needs an older man who's much more dominant. Not to mention Platinum sort of shot it down with her going off to find Cyrus... how can people still support it after that?? Like, just wondering. 8/
Saturn seems like he'd get annoyed with how childish Mars is since he's all workaholic and crap he'd need a much more mature woman (IE Jupiter) who wouldn't be all clingy.
MUCH RESPECT I just don't get the ship at all.
;107;

Batman Beyond
3rd October 2009, 5:37 AM
Basically I don't understand, "opposites attract" shippings of any kind. In real life it's psychologically impossible to be anything other than physically attracted to your opposite. Your "opposite is everything you don't like and try to distance yourself from. Like how nice people tend to avoid mean people. Now this isn't the same as "one completes the other" like outgoing-shy, but more like how two people can't get along and even if they develope a relationship, if they don't get along it'll be nothing but hurtful, violent and unhappy. And the premise that two characters who constantly argue is funny is just annoying to me. I can't see why that's supposed to be funny.

I don't see how an opposites dynamic would equal a romantic involvment as opposed to an enemies and fighting against one another involvment. Opposites build the premise for people who don't like each other. I also don't see how these two opposing forces coming together romantically is interesting since they wouldn't be able to get along and wouldn't stay in each others company, making the ship, even if it was canon all but pointless because you get nothing you like out of the shipping.

I just don't get it, the idea is too antagonistic to signal a working relationship, and I'm not saying couples have to interlock perfectly but full blown opposites? Can someone explain this to me?

Avegaille
3rd October 2009, 4:48 PM
Basically I don't understand, "opposites attract" shippings of any kind. In real life it's psychologically impossible to be anything other than physically attracted to your opposite. Your "opposite is everything you don't like and try to distance yourself from. Like how nice people tend to avoid mean people. Now this isn't the same as "one completes the other" like outgoing-shy, but more like how two people can't get along and even if they develope a relationship, if they don't get along it'll be nothing but hurtful, violent and unhappy. And the premise that two characters who constantly argue is funny is just annoying to me. I can't see why that's supposed to be funny.

I don't see how an opposites dynamic would equal a romantic involvment as opposed to an enemies and fighting against one another involvment. Opposites build the premise for people who don't like each other. I also don't see how these two opposing forces coming together romantically is interesting since they wouldn't be able to get along and wouldn't stay in each others company, making the ship, even if it was canon all but pointless because you get nothing you like out of the shipping.

I just don't get it, the idea is too antagonistic to signal a working relationship, and I'm not saying couples have to interlock perfectly but full blown opposites? Can someone explain this to me?

You know, that makes me wonder too, so don't worry, you're not alone in that boat... though I actually find the "one completes the other" type of relationship very cute, in fact, I feel like I've abused this genre with my stuff... lawlz, ignore that part... anyways...

In real life, it's true it's practically impossible for two opposing personalities and hates the other to get along at all, I suppose people who write this kind of stuff thinks it'll sell so much when people read it due to the irony in it, so they make it. After all, it's fiction, anything possible. =x

I suppose one example you're talking about is... IkariShipping, am I correct? That is what comes to my mind when I read your post... so yeah... I'll use it... xD;; Anyways, because Pokemon is so vague, or oblivious when it comes to romantic relationships (minus the married or already having a relationship together characters) that it's up to the fans to assume if there's something that might or will go on between any character that interacts with each other there. So it's no surprise that you'll see some fans of Paul and Dawn "having this romantic relationship somewhere" despite the obvious fact that they can't even get along and Paul never even bothers with Dawn... at all... (no bashing plz, this is what I see, and I am actually neutral to Ikarishipping, or any shipping in general, in fact, I contradict the shippings I support with other shippings).

So to sum it up or the tl;dr thing... people do opposites attract type of relationships because of the irony it creates and how much it sells, and in the Pokemon fandom, because shipping is so vague, it's up to the fans to do the assuming between these two opposite characters. xD;

FlameRose
3rd October 2009, 11:37 PM
I've... never understood OldRivalshipping. They've interacted, what, twice? Blue did call him cute on their first meeting, yes, but she was somewhere around 11 then. She hasn't done anything similar since then, and he seems to think she's annoying and pesky. So could any OldRivalShippers enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

Celesterine
4th October 2009, 10:50 PM
I've... never understood OldRivalshipping. They've interacted, what, twice? Blue did call him cute on their first meeting, yes, but she was somewhere around 11 then. She hasn't done anything similar since then, and he seems to think she's annoying and pesky. So could any OldRivalShippers enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

This is one of the biggest questions that got to my mind when I read the topic of this thread. So please could anyone explain it to us? :)

Batman Beyond
5th October 2009, 1:50 AM
You know, that makes me wonder too, so don't worry, you're not alone in that boat... though I actually find the "one completes the other" type of relationship very cute, in fact, I feel like I've abused this genre with my stuff... lawlz, ignore that part... anyways...

In real life, it's true it's practically impossible for two opposing personalities and hates the other to get along at all, I suppose people who write this kind of stuff thinks it'll sell so much when people read it due to the irony in it, so they make it. After all, it's fiction, anything possible. =x

I suppose one example you're talking about is... IkariShipping, am I correct? That is what comes to my mind when I read your post... so yeah... I'll use it... xD;; Anyways, because Pokemon is so vague, or oblivious when it comes to romantic relationships (minus the married or already having a relationship together characters) that it's up to the fans to assume if there's something that might or will go on between any character that interacts with each other there. So it's no surprise that you'll see some fans of Paul and Dawn "having this romantic relationship somewhere" despite the obvious fact that they can't even get along and Paul never even bothers with Dawn... at all... (no bashing plz, this is what I see, and I am actually neutral to Ikarishipping, or any shipping in general, in fact, I contradict the shippings I support with other shippings).

So to sum it up or the tl;dr thing... people do opposites attract type of relationships because of the irony it creates and how much it sells, and in the Pokemon fandom, because shipping is so vague, it's up to the fans to do the assuming between these two opposite characters. xD;

I don't care for the anime but I see where you're coming from. In fiction when someone does something physically impossible is when it's amazing. But when it goes against psychology, it's usually OOC or just plain stupid. There are exceptions, like when something is just a theory or when the psychology is directly adressed but I don't think "opposites attract" is a realistic OR attractive concept.

This is one of the biggest questions that got to my mind when I read the topic of this thread. So please could anyone explain it to us? :)

I think it's just that they look "cute" together, even though it has little or no hints. What I would like to know is why some OldRivalShippers think it's as hint heavy as Special, Lucky, or Frantic.

XxM!styxX
5th October 2009, 2:17 AM
I don't understand why people support ships involving characters that have never met... It just doesn't make any sense to me. They never met so how would they ever end up together? And I'm talkin about those REAL random ones, like let's say a gym leader from Johto and a trainer for Sinnoh that have zilch to do with each other.
Someone please explain??? I just don't see it because you don't have any sort of shippiness in any fashion to begin with, so how does it attract you to ship it??

darklord18
5th October 2009, 2:33 AM
I don't understand why people support ships involving characters that have never met... It just doesn't make any sense to me. They never met so how would they ever end up together? And I'm talkin about those REAL random ones, like let's say a gym leader from Johto and a trainer for Sinnoh that have zilch to do with each other.
Someone please explain??? I just don't see it because you don't have any sort of shippiness in any fashion to begin with, so how does it attract you to ship it??

Well for one, because it a never met it fun to think how they would met and how they get along. Also it because maybe there personality can work together. just Never met are different for other because they allow the supporter to think of scene on how they can meet or how they act together.

and the one you just mention well maybe there personality are close to the same or they use the same type, there countless reason why people ship a never met. Some because of the personality they have, some because they think they great together.

Why do we get attract to a nevermet well simple, because we find them cute or nice together or many other reason that I don't know. Me I do it because their personality are the same and they both use a psychic type. And both have trick Ash.

hope that answer your question. I try my best to give you a good answer as my OTP is a never met.

sorry but I busy at the moment so I post a question later.

XxM!styxX
5th October 2009, 2:41 AM
Well for one, because it a never met it fun to think how they would met and how they get along. Also it because maybe there personality can work together. just Never met are different for other because they allow the supporter to think of scene on how they can meet or how they act together.

and the one you just mention well maybe there personality are close to the same or they use the same type, there countless reason why people ship a never met. Some because of the personality they have, some because they think they great together.

Why do we get attract to a nevermet well simple, because we find them cute or nice together or many other reason that I don't know. Me I do it because their personality are the same and they both use a psychic type. And both have trick Ash.

Ohh I gotcha, yeah I never really thought of it that way, you definitely answered my question! :) I can understand how it would be fun to try to make one up from thin air because you don't have any specific rules to go by other than their canonic personalities.
Thank you~~

Forestwolf
5th October 2009, 2:42 AM
I actally don't understand myself BUT i do support CynthiaxVolkner, and they have never met in the anime or anything but it's possible since they are both in sinnoh... anyway how it 'attracts' me to ship it was just cause i thought they looked cute together which isn't exactly a reason. it all started when i was paginf though a DiamondPearl(the Ds game)guide book, I saw a picture with cynthia and all the gym leaders, and i saw Volkner sitting right by Cynthia and from that moment on i support the ship. I guess that people just choose that they like a ship even if there are no hints. They just start a fandom and use there imagination, I drew a fanart for cynthinaxvolkner. NOTE: Since i didn't exactly answer this someone else can add to this!

Avegaille
5th October 2009, 10:47 AM

The reason why people ship never-mets, is because they do for the sake of alternative shipping. Mainstream shippings (ships you see all the time in the anime, manga and even games) sometimes bores the hell out of alternative shippers because they know there's shipping in those kinds already and they are limited to hints given.

While in a never-met shipping, there are no rules or whatsoever about the hints and arguments mainstream shippings get. The best way to deal with never-mets is through your imagination and work with what the characters already posses. Personalities, what they like and what both of these characters who never met might like doing together... yep... the rest is up to you.

Plus, since it's a never-met, chances are, you're the first person who thought of it... now isn't that even more fun, to have a shipping you made, with lesser people to argue with, because it's a never-met shipping? 8D

Blackjack Gabbiani
5th October 2009, 12:03 PM
I don't understand Tucker/Harley. On the surface it seems like people ship them because they're both flamboyant, but I can't see how they'd get along.

I also don't get some "defaults" in ships. Like how Dawn gets paired with everyone in Sinnoh, but Lucas hardly gets anything. Back in Hoenn it was even more confusing, since it seemed there were people May got paired with (the two Team leaders, Wallace, Winona) and people Brendan got paired with (Steven, Wally), and there's hardly any deviation from those. They're, for all intents and purposes, the same character, given that their actions are the same because you have the same options. So shouldn't they pretty much be interchangable in gameverse?

Mel-Girl
5th October 2009, 9:24 PM
Aight I feel this.

Straight up I have been pondering since DP was released how people can support Conjunctionshipping :\
It makes no sense to me, Mars is underage and Saturn is too young for her really she needs an older man who's much more dominant. Not to mention Platinum sort of shot it down with her going off to find Cyrus... how can people still support it after that?? Like, just wondering. 8/
Saturn seems like he'd get annoyed with how childish Mars is since he's all workaholic and crap he'd need a much more mature woman (IE Jupiter) who wouldn't be all clingy.
MUCH RESPECT I just don't get the ship at all.
;107;

Eh, nobody else has answered it from the looks of things so I'll take a crack at it.

The age thing can be total interpretation by the way. Mars' real age isn't confirmed iirc so Conjunctionshippers may find that Mars and Saturn are around the same age as each other. Also, Mars and Saturn are probably the two most popular of the TG gang and most people have a tendency to pair their favourites up with each other - that's how you can get people who support ships like Ikari and heck, even Bishieshipping in my case.

Also continuing on the physical side of things, some people would prefer Mars to be the dominant one plus may believe that Mars and Saturn make the more attractive couple. Of course, this stuff is mere opinion cuz I think red and blue make a good combination, but blue and purple, red and purple both kick *** as well. XD

Does Mars necessarily need someone who is more dominant than her? Again, that's just an interpretation of her character. Some Conjunctionshippers prefer her to be the boss of things.

Does Saturn need someone who is older than him? Well, not necessarily. You can still get older people with lacking maturity. Maturity =/= age. Some Conjunctionshippers may believe that putting Saturn with a more mature woman would be as fun. Sure, they'd probably have smart, logical chats but that isn't exactly shippy. Conjunctionshippers like Conjunctionshipping because it's a pairing that has fun added to it.

They may think that because Saturn's a workaholic that he needs to break out of his shell and get out there and do more crazy stuff, have more fun and believe that Mars can do that. Mars is not really what I'd call childish by the way. She's the fiesty type, the way I see things. Sure, that type of attitude could come across as a bit much for Saturn at first, but they're all Commanders and I think their loyalty to serve Akagi would come before irritation with one another, so the two would have to get along at some point. So Conjunctionshippers may possibly see a love-hate thing going on with Mars and Saturn. Also again, Mars = clingy is just fan interpretation of her character. I, on the other hand don't see her being particularly clingy and more, while she'd go off and tease her fellow Commanders, she'd still have a sense of independence.

I mean, she's a Commander, she can't have gotten that position without showing good and actual signs of leadership. So I think that she definitely has a mature side to her and Conjunctionshippers may believe that she does have the maturity to be with a guy like Saturn. They may think that Saturn and Jupiter won't have as much fun in a relationship. Also while Mars does have that devotion thing going on for Akagi aka BIG BOSS MAN, something she'll have to learn is that Akagi doesn't show his emotions well and his number one priority are his goals that he wants to achieve and iirc, falling in love isn't one of them. So Mars could have all the devotion she wants but still get next to nothing from it all.

Why can't people still support a shipping even with certain hints? I mean, there are people who support Advanceshipping even though others may believe Contestshipping to be the most canon shipping in Pokemon and Haruka ran off to the same region as Shuu and all. So a hint can't nullify reasons to support another ship. Sure, it can mean that a ship is being more pointed at in terms of canon but uh, this is Pokemon, at least a third of us don't give a toss for the canon. XD;

On that note of loyalty towards Akagi, that could be a problem in terms of well, Mars x Saturn, Saturn x Jupiter, Jupiter x Mars due to the fact that their loyalty towards him becomes first before anything. I think that it would be hard for any relationship to sustain, not an open one at least. LOL, I'm not really doing much answering to your question but I do have some thoughts that I may contribute to that new TG Shipping Thread sooner or later. Okay, back to answering.

Well, I hope I did a decent job of answering your question. XD; I'm generally open to all the TG shippings so I did try to answer with a Conjunctionshipper POV and all. Btw, I wasn't trying to deny other ships so sorry if I sounded like I did. XD;

Short version: people may think Mars and Saturn look good together, prefer the idea of their possible love-hate relationship, don't feel threatened by hints pointing towards conflicting ships... Actually, I hate summarising, just read what I wrote. XD

-

Okay, now I want to ask about some things. How can people get into ships with characters from the anime with movie-only characters (EG. Kissshipping, Altoshipping)? It's something that's been puzzling me for a while. Like, I support some nevermet/crackships and get fun from that but anime character x movie-only character ships have never really clicked with me and I'm interested to know how other people came to like them.

Also, one more thing, how can people stick to one shipping per character? It's something else that's been bugging me for a while because I always get that vibe like they're not being very openminded when actually, they could've considered all possibilities and just have happened to stick to the ones they deem their favourite above the others.

Sorry, mine aren't pointing to one ship in particular.

Hakajin
13th October 2009, 7:17 AM

When people talk about opposites attracting, they're usually talking about superficial differences like interests. Or maybe their personalities tend to conflict. But with these kinds of relationships, they're usually more similar than different. They tend to have the same values and can empathize with each other.

People like these kinds of ships because it's good to see people learn to become less selfish through love. We like to see that we're more similar than we think we are, and that we can get over ourselves and see things from someone else's point of view.

But yeah, if two people are too different, it doesn't work. I think people like ships like that that wouldn't work for the same reasons, though.

invisible-chan
13th October 2009, 8:16 AM
I really don't get never met ships. Why? Why in the world would you pair up two people who have no interaction? Because their potential interaction would be awesome? Break from mainsteam? (crack for the sake of crack is fine, but supporting it as a main couple really throws me off.)

My main one is NewBarkTown Shipping, aka gameverse quest. You can't have both characters at once. Technically, they're the same person in an alternate reality. Being paired up with yourself sounds kind of creepy to me. I don't know how or why the manga and anime decided that they would make a good couple when they never meet.

When it comes to the manga and anime, hints are pretty much shoved in your face. In the game, though, everyone else but the other playable character would be more likely.

I also don't get why some people are so adamant about slash ships. I mean, some do hold possibilities of canon like Pallet/Original, but then you get stuff like Ash/Oak which is a little more than strange. "OMG thire so kawaii together!" doesn't quite mean much to me, seeing as how subjective "kawaii"-ness is.

Would someone please elaborate on the reasons. I can't seem to find many legit ones. (Especially for NewBarkTown Shipping)

Blackjack Gabbiani
13th October 2009, 10:32 AM
Funny you should mention Ash/Oak, given the fourth movie. And it wasn't so "strange" when they were around the same age.
(oh come on, given how old that movie is, that can't possibly be a spoiler)

junpearl63
15th October 2009, 12:28 PM
I've never understand why can they ship people with pokemon together. As well as other anime, manga shipping that involved people and animals/monster/creatures. Help?

adrenaline
15th October 2009, 7:44 PM
I just don't understand Egoshipping. I understand where the name comes from but Misty has always disliked Gary because of his arrogance and condescension. I mean, with Gym and Orange shipping at least Misty are friends with Brock and Tracey. But, the two have shown they don't even like each other. Someone care to explain?

SatoshiKasumi
19th October 2009, 2:19 AM
Pearlshipping I just dont get it or see it I always found Ash and Dawn friends of course I'm a Pokeshipper but i support other Ash ships and im not getting any spark from Pearl some Pearlshipper explain to me PLEASE i just dont get your ship explain everything to me!!!!!!!!!

granbull guy
19th October 2009, 2:27 AM
The only shipping I don't really understand is Cookie Shipping I mean Harley and May I havn't seen like any hints someone excplain for me!

CyberCubed
19th October 2009, 7:17 AM
The only shipping I don't really understand is Cookie Shipping I mean Harley and May I havn't seen like any hints someone excplain for me!

People like Cookieshipping because of the amusement of it. Seeing Harley develop a crush on May after hating her, or vice versa, May developing something of a crush on Harley...is hilarious.

I don't think anyone really thinks it would happen in the series, but its fun to think about.

ChloboShoka
19th October 2009, 8:57 PM
People like Cookieshipping because of the amusement of it. Seeing Harley develop a crush on May after hating her, or vice versa, May developing something of a crush on Harley...is hilarious.

I don't think anyone really thinks it would happen in the series, but its fun to think about.

I second this. It would be totally funny.

And I don't really get Ikarishipping anymore - it's been really boring for me now. Anyone with that Ikari spark wanna give it a try?

catzeye
20th October 2009, 1:56 AM
Pearlshipping I just dont get it or see it I always found Ash and Dawn friends of course I'm a Pokeshipper but i support other Ash ships and im not getting any spark from Pearl some Pearlshipper explain to me PLEASE i just dont get your ship explain everything to me!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess Pearlshippers like the bond they have; Ash and Dawn became friends pretty quickly. I know many Pearlshippers like the similarities the two share. I guess you could say Pearlshippers think "Similarities=easier chance of falling in love". The sparks come from the moments in the anime where their bond is shown (mainly high fives).

Yea I know that explanation sucked. Forgive me I'm not a militant shipper of anything (except Coma probably XD).

I really don't understand Handymanshipping. I want to know the spark to that shipping.

TheFarmboy
20th October 2009, 2:04 AM
I don't understand the popular shippings, (pokeshipping, Contestshipping, Advancedshipping, Pearlshipping, Ikarishipping, etc.), in fact, I don't really understand shipping in general. Unless it involves fish or goods.
If it's freindship, I understand, but love? They're pretty much like still pre to early teens.

I don't mean to say that in an offensive tone. So I apologize if I hurt anyone.

FlameRose
20th October 2009, 2:23 AM
We like to ship because it's fun to use our imaginations. A lot of characters have great interactions, good or bad, and a lot of people like to make ships out of them. I've also noticed a good sized amount of topics relate to when the characters are a bit older, so it's much more reasonable.

TheFarmboy
20th October 2009, 2:32 AM
We like to ship because it's fun to use our imaginations. A lot of characters have great interactions, good or bad, and a lot of people like to make ships out of them. I've also noticed a good sized amount of topics relate to when the characters are a bit older, so it's much more reasonable.

I see, thats for that sum-up :) (If it's adressed to me), some reason, I really like some of those ships that don't get really recongized, some nevermets, others not noticed alot, I ususally sees them as friendships. I'm that kind of person who probably have a thing for outcasts or the unknown

Dark_Dreamz
26th October 2009, 8:42 AM
I'm clueless and dumbed by Poke and PearlShipping. I honestly can't see any hints. I rewatched all the episodes, read fanfiction, stared at the fanarts, but I can't seem to get whats the big idea o.o

Batman Beyond
26th October 2009, 10:02 PM
When people talk about opposites attracting, they're usually talking about superficial differences like interests. Or maybe their personalities tend to conflict. But with these kinds of relationships, they're usually more similar than different. They tend to have the same values and can empathize with each other.

People like these kinds of ships because it's good to see people learn to become less selfish through love. We like to see that we're more similar than we think we are, and that we can get over ourselves and see things from someone else's point of view.

But yeah, if two people are too different, it doesn't work. I think people like ships like that that wouldn't work for the same reasons, though.

Okay first off. If your interests and personality conflict with someone, you avoid them, that's what you're biologically and psychologically programed to do. How is this more similar than different exactly? If you don't act or feel the same, you're most likely not compatible with this person.

The way you're discribing it is like, "maybe they're not so different after all". And a pairing where they learn from one another is a "one completes the other" relationship, not an "opposites attract" one. People aren't attracted to something they don't like. But an example could be a shy person going with an outgoing person, and then the shy person could gradually learn to be less shy. But opposites, i.e a nice person and a mean person, or a gentle and a violent but not neccessarily bad person, don't work or at least wouldn't be attracted to people because they're opposites.

There's a distinction between the two types of relation ships I'm trying to point out here, but your input is appreciated none the less. :)

Hakajin
27th October 2009, 6:47 AM
Okay first off. If your interests and personality conflict with someone, you avoid them, that's what you're biologically and psychologically programed to do. How is this more similar than different exactly? If you don't act or feel the same, you're most likely not compatible with this person.

The way you're discribing it is like, "maybe they're not so different after all". And a pairing where they learn from one another is a "one completes the other" relationship, not an "opposites attract" one. People aren't attracted to something they don't like. But an example could be a shy person going with an outgoing person, and then the shy person could gradually learn to be less shy. But opposites, i.e a nice person and a mean person, or a gentle and a violent but not neccessarily bad person, don't work or at least wouldn't be attracted to people because they're opposites.

There's a distinction between the two types of relation ships I'm trying to point out here, but your input is appreciated none the less. :)

Well, with shipping, characters are thrown together when they might not otherwise avoid each other. They get to know each other better even though they might not want to at first, and that can lead to something more. Oh, also, with conflicts in interest and personality, there's that unresolved sexual tension, you know? Sometimes it seems like two people argue all the time, and they just can't let it go. UST can actually accentuate differences. Sometimes people actually come to enjoy arguing because it's mentally stimulating. That goes along with the whole respecting your opponent as an equal thing and stuff.

In real life, there are some personalities that just don't work together. Those kind of people can be attracted to each other, because attraction has so many variables- physical chemistry, shared experience, etc. But it's not a healthy relationship if they actually get together. Maybe once in a rare while it could work, but the people involved would have to work really hard at it.

I think a lot of characters who are classified as being opposites aren't really that different. Actually, often the problem is that they're too similar, like how two stubborn people will end up butting heads. A lot of it has to do with getting over childish immaturity and what not.

Plus, it's fiction. Things work in fiction that would never work in real life. Hot Gimmick, anyone? Seriously, I liked the canon pairing, but the characters never developed much, and the relationship seemed kind of abusive. I mean, I understood the attraction between the two characters, but it never would have worked. Disappointing ending to that one...

Anyway, I think people also kind of gravitate to this kind of ship because it is kind of unusual in real life. I think people just like to see that we can get past our differences when it comes down to it. Plus the unlikelihood of it working out makes it special. A relationship means more when you have to work things out. It means it's important enough that you're willing to sacrifice for it. It's too easy to stay in a relationship without conflict.

I just don't understand Egoshipping. I understand where the name comes from but Misty has always disliked Gary because of his arrogance and condescension. I mean, with Gym and Orange shipping at least Misty are friends with Brock and Tracey. But, the two have shown they don't even like each other. Someone care to explain?

I read a good Egoshipping fic once. I forget what it was called, though. Anyway, I think this is one of those things where the two characters are more similar than they'd like to admit. Both are stubborn and have inflated egos (well, at least in the beginning). It's also one where the two characters would come to respect each others' skills and admire each other, and that would lead to something more. I can see it.

Batman Beyond
28th October 2009, 1:43 AM
Well, with shipping, characters are thrown together when they might not otherwise avoid each other. They get to know each other better even though they might not want to at first, and that can lead to something more. Oh, also, with conflicts in interest and personality, there's that unresolved sexual tension, you know? Sometimes it seems like two people argue all the time, and they just can't let it go. UST can actually accentuate differences. Sometimes people actually come to enjoy arguing because it's mentally stimulating. That goes along with the whole respecting your opponent as an equal thing and stuff.

In real life, there are some personalities that just don't work together. Those kind of people can be attracted to each other, because attraction has so many variables- physical chemistry, shared experience, etc. But it's not a healthy relationship if they actually get together. Maybe once in a rare while it could work, but the people involved would have to work really hard at it.

I think a lot of characters who are classified as being opposites aren't really that different. Actually, often the problem is that they're too similar, like how two stubborn people will end up butting heads. A lot of it has to do with getting over childish immaturity and what not.

Plus, it's fiction. Things work in fiction that would never work in real life. Hot Gimmick, anyone? Seriously, I liked the canon pairing, but the characters never developed much, and the relationship seemed kind of abusive. I mean, I understood the attraction between the two characters, but it never would have worked. Disappointing ending to that one...

Anyway, I think people also kind of gravitate to this kind of ship because it is kind of unusual in real life. I think people just like to see that we can get past our differences when it comes down to it. Plus the unlikelihood of it working out makes it special. A relationship means more when you have to work things out. It means it's important enough that you're willing to sacrifice for it. It's too easy to stay in a relationship without conflict.

There are a hundred things in this statment I don't agree with but I'll keep it as simple as possible.

That is not true at all, people say it is but it isn't. Argument isn't stimulating it's naturally atogonistic. And psychologically(and I actually study psychology I'm not just using the word because it's fancy and refers to the brain, I know what I'm talking about) the ideal or theory that opposites attract has been completely proven 100% FALSE.

And those rare relationships you're talking about don't exist because if they really conflict so much, they wouldn't get together in the first place. And shared experience is a similarity, therefore, it's that similarity that makes them less opposite and more alike. And a relationship of opposites with physical attraction being a primary or the only factor doesn't actually last. They might get together sure but they won't stay together, eventually it just won't be worth it. I know, I have to many examples to go on from that. People are naturally driven away from differences or things that seem alien, the extent of which varies from person to person since diversity is also a human facsination.

The whole argument I'm hearing here is, *immitates SpoonyOne voice/tone* "they have nothing in common except for that ONE HUGE THING THEY HAVE IN COMMON".

Okay, that covers reality, but I understand your fiction argument. I know it's the whole thing with "Anything can happen in fiction", but the extent of this is usually physical. Can we make Superman fly instead of leap tall buildings in a single bound? Sure, any writer can do that, they can decide they just want him to leap great distances and leave flying out either temporarily or permanently from the story. Now that's the freedom of the character. But can we make Superman kill someone? No. Part of his character says he cannot, will not, and doesn't like it when others kill. Sure you can make Superman kill, but the readers will hate you for it, and it's not really something Superman would do.

I just think that if a character in the story is going to go against the basic rules of psychology(the more advanced rules are fine, but not the basic ones like "loved one dieing is bad") it needs to be explained, is he insane? Have they been misinformed about something(they could believe that opposites actually attract, the poor souls, lol)? Are they an alien with different brain chemistry?

I mean, I'll use Superman as an example again. Maybe it's a Superman from an alternate universe with post traumatic stress disorder. Or maybe it's a young Superman/Superboy, who was attacked with overwhelming odds and killed someonee by accident(i.e Superboy-Prime).

Or more local to the forums example. The heroes in the Pokemon games are often silent and their personality is left up to the player but in a story(fanfic, stroke of "what if", writing for an official manga whatever you're doing), they may be imagined as doing something they wouldn't normally do because of a powerful emotion, i.e fear or rage or a shipper's favorite love/lust. But once the fit of it is over, their emotions go back to normal. Which in the case of shipping would make long term relationships difficuult to the point of impossible.

So I kinda get why the writer thinks an opposites attract relationship will be popular or work out, thank you for explaining that. But as a writer myself who's studying psychology just to make my characterization more realistic, I'm just saying I'm opposed to the idea.

So while I don't agree with that preference, I understand it. ^_^

Hakajin
30th October 2009, 12:42 AM
There are a hundred things in this statment I don't agree with but I'll keep it as simple as possible.

That is not true at all, people say it is but it isn't. Argument isn't stimulating it's naturally atogonistic. And psychologically(and I actually study psychology I'm not just using the word because it's fancy and refers to the brain, I know what I'm talking about) the ideal or theory that opposites attract has been completely proven 100% FALSE.

And those rare relationships you're talking about don't exist because if they really conflict so much, they wouldn't get together in the first place. And shared experience is a similarity, therefore, it's that similarity that makes them less opposite and more alike. And a relationship of opposites with physical attraction being a primary or the only factor doesn't actually last. They might get together sure but they won't stay together, eventually it just won't be worth it. I know, I have to many examples to go on from that. People are naturally driven away from differences or things that seem alien, the extent of which varies from person to person since diversity is also a human facsination.

The whole argument I'm hearing here is, *immitates SpoonyOne voice/tone* "they have nothing in common except for that ONE HUGE THING THEY HAVE IN COMMON".

Okay, that covers reality, but I understand your fiction argument. I know it's the whole thing with "Anything can happen in fiction", but the extent of this is usually physical. Can we make Superman fly instead of leap tall buildings in a single bound? Sure, any writer can do that, they can decide they just want him to leap great distances and leave flying out either temporarily or permanently from the story. Now that's the freedom of the character. But can we make Superman kill someone? No. Part of his character says he cannot, will not, and doesn't like it when others kill. Sure you can make Superman kill, but the readers will hate you for it, and it's not really something Superman would do.

I just think that if a character in the story is going to go against the basic rules of psychology(the more advanced rules are fine, but not the basic ones like "loved one dieing is bad") it needs to be explained, is he insane? Have they been misinformed about something(they could believe that opposites actually attract, the poor souls, lol)? Are they an alien with different brain chemistry?

I mean, I'll use Superman as an example again. Maybe it's a Superman from an alternate universe with post traumatic stress disorder. Or maybe it's a young Superman/Superboy, who was attacked with overwhelming odds and killed someonee by accident(i.e Superboy-Prime).

Or more local to the forums example. The heroes in the Pokemon games are often silent and their personality is left up to the player but in a story(fanfic, stroke of "what if", writing for an official manga whatever you're doing), they may be imagined as doing something they wouldn't normally do because of a powerful emotion, i.e fear or rage or a shipper's favorite love/lust. But once the fit of it is over, their emotions go back to normal. Which in the case of shipping would make long term relationships difficuult to the point of impossible.

So I kinda get why the writer thinks an opposites attract relationship will be popular or work out, thank you for explaining that. But as a writer myself who's studying psychology just to make my characterization more realistic, I'm just saying I'm opposed to the idea.

So while I don't agree with that preference, I understand it. ^_^

Stimulation doesn't have to be pleasant. Feelings of anger and infatuation actually give similar symptoms: quickened pulse, inability to think clearly, etc. The brain often confuses such things. It's been strongly suggested in certain experiments that going on a date to an amusement park, somewhere you're likely to be frightened and excited, is good for falling for someone, because the brain associates those excited feelings with that person. It's the same thing with anger. It also works the other way around. The brain can confuse the excited feelings of infatuation for anger, which leads to arguing. Not only that, but sometimes people try to cover up their feelings by being antagonistic to the person they like. Also, arguing can be form of flirting. I've seen plenty of this in real life. Probably has to do with the stimulation of anger. Well, it's a challenge, too. It gives you a chance to show off to the other person. And I think a lot of arguing between two people who like each other starts off like that- they want to prove their own capabilities to each other. By winning an argument, they've shown themselves to be intelligent, and therefore desirable.

Never, ever say "proven" when you're talking about psychology. It's a dirty word. "Birds of a feather" tends to trump "opposites attract", but both can happen. Anyway, that refers to when two people are truly different, but remember, I'm talking about superficial differences. The two people still have similar values and such. There is a reason that people came to believe that opposites attract, and that's because of the superficial differences I'm talking about. Plus some personalities do compliment each other.

Never make a universal statement, either. Statistically, that kind of relationship probably does exist somewhere. You're right about those kinds of things making people more similar. It gives them common ground, something they can understand about each other.

In fiction, I'm talking about relationships with physical attraction and conflicting personalities that actually work out, whereas they wouldn't in real life. There's usually a lot of drama that brings the couple together, too, so that makes it more believable.

Witchan
30th October 2009, 12:58 AM
The only two shippings I don't clearly understand is Pearlshipping and Pokeshipping and each and every heterosexual shippings doesn't make any sense of their medicore name(s), IMO. Yaoi and Yuri seems to make sense due to having a perfect name and
I'm not trying to flame any herterosexual shipper. :)

adrenaline
30th October 2009, 3:00 AM
The only two shippings I don't clearly understand is Pearlshipping and Pokeshipping and each and every heterosexual shippings doesn't make any sense of their medicore name(s), IMO. Yaoi and Yuri seems to make sense due to having a perfect name and
I'm not trying to flame any herterosexual shipper. :)

I doubt a show for kids would infer heavily on the homosexual romance. When there's two members of the opposite sex on a main cast its only natural people will want to pair them together. (AshxMisty, AshxMay or AshxDawn) And I can't really comment on the name thing.

Batman Beyond
31st October 2009, 8:32 AM
Stimulation doesn't have to be pleasant. Feelings of anger and infatuation actually give similar symptoms: quickened pulse, inability to think clearly, etc. The brain often confuses such things. It's been strongly suggested in certain experiments that going on a date to an amusement park, somewhere you're likely to be frightened and excited, is good for falling for someone, because the brain associates those excited feelings with that person. It's the same thing with anger. It also works the other way around. The brain can confuse the excited feelings of infatuation for anger, which leads to arguing. Not only that, but sometimes people try to cover up their feelings by being antagonistic to the person they like. Also, arguing can be form of flirting. I've seen plenty of this in real life. Probably has to do with the stimulation of anger. Well, it's a challenge, too. It gives you a chance to show off to the other person. And I think a lot of arguing between two people who like each other starts off like that- they want to prove their own capabilities to each other. By winning an argument, they've shown themselves to be intelligent, and therefore desirable.

Never, ever say "proven" when you're talking about psychology. It's a dirty word. "Birds of a feather" tends to trump "opposites attract", but both can happen. Anyway, that refers to when two people are truly different, but remember, I'm talking about superficial differences. The two people still have similar values and such. There is a reason that people came to believe that opposites attract, and that's because of the superficial differences I'm talking about. Plus some personalities do compliment each other.

Never make a universal statement, either. Statistically, that kind of relationship probably does exist somewhere. You're right about those kinds of things making people more similar. It gives them common ground, something they can understand about each other.

In fiction, I'm talking about relationships with physical attraction and conflicting personalities that actually work out, whereas they wouldn't in real life. There's usually a lot of drama that brings the couple together, too, so that makes it more believable.

Okay, where do I even begin with this first paragraph. I will say that those similar symptoms aren't followed by similar brain chemicals. The ones released during arguements increase agression rather than a natural high like a stimulant. So what you're saying is people will be attracted to each other if they associate fear with each other? That right there doesn't make sense to me. The general belief is that the person you're with at that amusment park is a source of comfort and that at the park, and/or you associate the feeling of having fun with this person. And the WHOLE POINT of acting antogonistic to hide your feelings is so that they will be repelled from you and have a less likely chance of suspecting you like them, hence not attracting them. And the way people naturally react to that argument isn't "you have this trait, I like that", if two people are arguing that means they're striving to be more effective in the argument than the other person and promoting themselves to "one-up" the person they're talking to.

Never say "proven"? Have you EVER taken a class on Psychology? And if they have similar values they aren't opposite because opposites would have opposing values. If they any large factors in common, interests, experiences, values, personality traits, then they have something in common and aren't completely opposite. There's also a reason people came to believe killing and maiming and canabalism was okay, that didn't make them right. Okay granted that's an extreme example, I'm just saying that just because a large number of people believe something that doesn't mean they're right considering that this is a factual thing we're discussing. Just because personalities are different doesn't make them full blown opposites. And complimenting personalities doesn't neccessarily point to opposites attract either. Like a shy person and outgoing person(this is my favorite example), or a flirty person and a naive person. They kind of compliment each other but they aren't really opposite per se and aren't neccessarily repelled by each other.

Did I say those relationships didnt' exist? I don't think I did but anyway. Even if said relationship is out there it WON'T last. I know that sounds very pessimistic but two people who can't get along will want to be around each other less, that's just the way the brain works. Opposites don't have common ground, "common" has the opposite meaning of "opposite" for a reason, you can't have something in common, at least not large personal deciding factors, if you're opposites because then you wouldn't be opposites.

Like I said before thank you for explaining the fictional aspect. I don't know about more believable, it's just seems like something a character wouldn't WANT to do, not something they physically can't. That's what I was trying to say earlier. Our physical restrictions are often viewed as a prison and to see in fiction people denying those restrictions is interesting but if it's something that the character shouldn't want to do or something you'd think the character would obviously resent doing, it doesn't have the same effect.

So I agree for the most part on the fictional aspect. And Universal statements are made and do exist, they're called facts(just me being sarcastic I don't mean to offend with that sentence). And things are proven true and false all the time in psychology just like any other science, and I know for a fact that opposites not attracting in real life has been proven.

adrenaline
31st October 2009, 10:48 PM
Um...what about the Piplup <3 Pikachu episode? They are both male (I think), but they fall in love artificially due to a machine. (The romantic music that plays in the episode is funny.)

I honestly don't know anything about the upcoming episode so I can't comment on that. The only thing I can see is its between two Pokemon and not two people. But, I get your point.

So...could anyone explain Gymshipping and Orangeshipping please? I read someone's explanation, but would anyone be willing to elaborate on it? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you. =)

I think Orangeshipping gained more "validity" in the Pokemon Chronicles. Tracey often visits Misty at the Gym. Kasey and Sakura ask Misty if he's her boyfriend which she readily denies. Also, in "Luvdisc is a Many Splendor Thing" Daisy pairs Misty and Tracey together as the focal point in the water ballet. Hope this helps.

And I'm in the same boat with you for Gymshipping. Don't get it.

riolulu
3rd November 2009, 5:51 AM
I do not understand GirlPowershipping [Cynthia x Dawn] at all. In my opinion, Cynthia is way too old for Dawn, and as far as I'm concerned, there are no hints...

anyone care to explain other than "oh they are hot together"?

~riolulu

ChloboShoka
4th November 2009, 7:32 PM
I do not understand GirlPowershipping [Cynthia x Dawn] at all. In my opinion, Cynthia is way too old for Dawn, and as far as I'm concerned, there are no hints...

~riolulu

I think Cynthia would be a good role model for Dawn: she's a sinnoh champ, good looking and someone Dawn can aspire to.

Tadashi
12th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Know what I don't understand? The rampant human x Pok&#233;mon shippings, especially the multishipping ones.

God bless it, I know that people like to multiship and human x Pok&#233;mon ships are out there, but I just don't get why people feel the need to ship, say a random CotD with some other random Pok&#233;mon that wasn't even related to CotD's appearance!

I'm talking about things like... Michelle (this one-off trainer with a Bagon) being shipped with something like, a Sneasel. When did you see her have a Sneasel?! I just, grah, I don't understand x_x

Vycksta
12th November 2009, 11:56 PM
Know what I don't understand? The rampant human x Pok&#233;mon shippings, especially the multishipping ones.

God bless it, I know that people like to multiship and human x Pok&#233;mon ships are out there, but I just don't get why people feel the need to ship, say a random CotD with some other random Pok&#233;mon that wasn't even related to CotD's appearance!

I'm talking about things like... Michelle (this one-off trainer with a Bagon) being shipped with something like, a Sneasel. When did you see her have a Sneasel?! I just, grah, I don't understand x_xWelcome to the world of Pokemon, Tadashi. There are 493 Pokemon, some with different forms that you can add to that tally, and countless humans; 32 Gym Leaders ALONE. Combine that with all the Frontier Brains, the Elite Four members, all the members of Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua and Galactic... yadda yadda yadda, you get the picture. With so many possibilities (( Over 111,100 shippings if you just have every single Pokemon x Pokemon pairing you can think of )) it's very hard NOT to think of odd, cracky, crazed, personal ships.

Nynaeveshipping falls in the latter. Michelle is my favourite character of all time, Sneasel is my favourite Pokemon of all time. They were shipped together out of pure bias but my love for this pair matches... no, scrap that, SURPASSES... those who ship the mainstream, the obvious, the MET. There are no rules to say that I cannot throw my favourites together, there is nothing to say HOLY WHEEL OF ARCEUS BAN THE NEVER-METS!!!!11111 *shrug* If you want I can quite happily bore you with the storyline I have given Michelle and Sneasel, all the one-shots I have wrote, all the fanarts I have gotten people to draw for me. It'll take me about a week but hey, I am online every day.

Alternatively, you could have just PMed me and asked why I ship Nynaeveshipping like I do, seeing as I am the only fan and extremely proud of it. I don't know why I have this unapproachable aura around me but there you go. :}

I cannot answer for everyone else who ships human x Pokemon but in my case it is because I see Pokemon on a level equal to humans in terms of emotions and understanding. I do not see them as animals, I see them on a level between that and the level of being human and that for me makes it more bearable. As for Nynaeveshipping, already explained that above. TL;DR it's a personal ship; the name comes from my dead CAT for crying out loud.

A ship does not need to have canon basis to be loved with the same intensity. I would have thought that in a fandom like POKEMON people may have understood that.

I also fail to see how human x Pokemon is rampant. I know i'm a pretty rabid shipper of it but I am just one person and am constantly engaging in debates over it.

Chainsaw-Fangirl
17th November 2009, 12:35 AM
I don't know what the shipping is really called but I really don't get May and Brock. Or Dawn and Gary.

omniouswind
17th November 2009, 3:19 AM
^Well I can't help you understand about May and Brock (which is Shoppingshipping), but I can explain Dawn and Gary (Cavaliershipping) cuz I think its kinda cute.

Dawn was shown to be sort of a Gary fangirl... With him being Professor Oak's grandson and all. Plus Dawn loves all the poetry and stuff. So yeah, it's pretty much a fangirl love on Dawn's part. And we all know how Gary loves attention. ;D He could possibly start to think that Dawn's adoration is cute or something, or maybe flirt with her a little because he's aware of her feelings.

lol fail.

As someone who just thinks Dawn x Gary is cute, that was the best I could do. xP;

Rainy Lotad
17th November 2009, 4:41 AM
I'm clueless and dumbed by Poke and PearlShipping. I honestly can't see any hints. I rewatched all the episodes, read fanfiction, stared at the fanarts, but I can't seem to get whats the big idea o.o

Well, your signature speaks a thousand words when it comes to why you don't understand Poke/PearlShipping; you're too afraid to broaden your horizons because it feels like your turning your back on your beloved AdvanceShipping. Not to sound too harsh or anything, but because your central pairing is Advance, you've pretty much shut down any pairing that could expand from that central node, causing you to miss out on understanding how the other ships are possible.

Anyway, PokeShipping, as stated by your sig, is the original pairing (or, at least I think it is, since I don't think anything preludes them). It's more or less the many lover spats that occur on their journeys together that help make this pairing seem more realistic and understandable. Also, Misty is the female character that has been with Ash for more time than any of the other females that are apart of his group (five seasons if I've counted right). The best way to build understanding would be to compare AdvanceShipping to PokeShipping; both feature two characters that often bicker and fight with each other as they travel.

PearlShipping, on the other hand, I can't really speak for because I haven't really watched much of D/P, but I assume that it is for the same reasons that Advance and PokeShipping that Pearl was realized.

Yeti
17th November 2009, 5:12 AM
um.. are you purposefully ignorant of the episodes??
you want hints?
hints galore (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=10477785&postcount=6)
yay (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=10477125&postcount=3)
Not convinced? Every quality, rule-abiding post in the Ash Debate thread is regarding Pokeshipping's hints ~_~

To not be able to see any hints behind the BIGGEST ship in Pokemon means you either have no clue what a hint is and should examine ex-mod Chelc's thoughts on that in the Debate FAQ or you're just saying you can't see hints every other person can because they crush your beloved Advanceshipping's 'hints' into the dust.
"lol"

I don't see how people can still ship Advance, a. May left with Drew b. Ash doesn't care about her romantically (he doesn't care about any girl romantically really but he's at least shown the occasional glimpse of knowledge that Misty is a female and he's supposed to be interested in them at some point) c. ????? d. profit.
I never understood it in the first place but I really don't get it now 8|

l8 but oh well
@ Mel

Well, I hope I did a decent job of answering your question. XD; I'm generally open to all the TG shippings so I did try to answer with a Conjunctionshipper POV and all. Btw, I wasn't trying to deny other ships so sorry if I sounded like I did. XD;

Short version: people may think Mars and Saturn look good together, prefer the idea of their possible love-hate relationship, don't feel threatened by hints pointing towards conflicting ships... Actually, I hate summarising, just read what I wrote. XD
I read it but I still don't get it 8|
Maybe it's because Cyrus x Mars is so incredibly one-sided canon (at the least) I can't break from my 'ship the most likely to be canon ship' mindset to consider anything with no chance :\
If it doesn't have any hints I never tend to ship it. Probably why I only ship het really.
Maybe it stems from me and Katya's interpretations of TG and their personalities - we couldn't picture a world where Mars cares about anyone or anything but Cyrus and he likes his little loli o3o Also we are OTPers true and true, nothing could stop our anime-solidified love o)

Regarding something else you said:

Also, one more thing, how can people stick to one shipping per character? It's something else that's been bugging me for a while because I always get that vibe like they're not being very openminded when actually, they could've considered all possibilities and just have happened to stick to the ones they deem their favourite above the others.

I've actually been wondering the exact opposite - how can people NOT stick to one shipping per character? Every time I even try and picture it I just hate the thought 8|
I wonder if it has something to do with how you're raised or some personality trait - if certain people are more likely to have a OTP for each character and not support any other ships.
I went through a phase where I shipped Mars around with everyone but Saturn/Jupiter/Cyrus (yes there was a time) and it sort of lost its appeal all too quickly.. multishipping didn't hold any value for me 8| And since anything disrupting Saturn x Jupiter was simply absurd, Betelgeuse was convenient enough to get Cyrus and Mars out of the picture. 2loonies1collapsing portal
I dunno what it is but I just cringe at the thought of shipping a character with anyone more than one character almost always of the opposite gender. It usually stems from hints/potential for canon/superior interactions or lulz.
I used to ship Brock x May before I found out Drew existed.. then I saw him and realized Contest was a gr8. And now Shopping has no role in my shipdom. *shrug*

I really can't bring myself to ship characters with more than one person 8| exception being athena who needs her otp decided: giovanni/apollo (current winner) and i'll ship only one in the near future like, maybe other people can, but I just feel sick when I think about it sometimes lol.. maybe a bit more frequently than sometimes ;292;

Blackjack Gabbiani
17th November 2009, 6:33 AM
And I know Yeti's going to see this as something personal but really the mentions of them just reminded me. I really don't get Cyrus/Mars. Mars is violent and loves blowing stuff up as a means of basic problem solving, while he seems to abhor violence and take it, when necessary (and he never denies that it's necessary for his goals), as a heavy undertaking. She's far too casual about things for someone who wants to eliminate hatred and war.

Hakajin
17th November 2009, 7:11 AM

Being open-minded has nothing to do with it. A lot of us are very emotionally involved with our favored ships. When you're so caught up in a ship, you really can't support an opposing one. Opposing ones tend to bother you, in fact. Oh, sure, I can see why people like Advanceshipping, but if it ever happened... well, not anymore, since I jumped ships, but you get the idea. Getting involved with a ship like that isn't something you choose... it just sort of happens. You watch certain characters interact over a long period of time (or visualize it), and you sort of start to fall for that pairing. Yes, shipping is serious business.

Tomato-kun
17th November 2009, 7:11 AM
I really don't get Cyrus/Mars.

Me neither, but for a different reason(I ship Akatsuki so I'm fond with opposite attract pairings). I don't see any possible romance.

Also, Jupiter/Saturn.

Mel-Girl
17th November 2009, 7:24 AM
Ooh, a reply! I'ma respond because this thread is fun to type lots of random stuff in. Like heck I ramble. Just means there's someone good to share knowledge and opinions with, eh? X3

Maybe it's because Cyrus x Mars is so incredibly one-sided canon (at the least) I can't break from my 'ship the most likely to be canon ship' mindset to consider anything with no chance :\
If it doesn't have any hints I never tend to ship it. Probably why I only ship het really.
Maybe it stems from me and Katya's interpretations of TG and their personalities - we couldn't picture a world where Mars cares about anyone or anything but Cyrus and he likes his little loli o3o Also we are OTPers true and true, nothing could stop our anime-solidified love o)

Well, exactly as you said. Fandom interpretation. The way you interpret Mars and Cyrus is different to say my interpretation. I don't deny that Mars is very devoted to Big Boss Man and wanting to please him but I don't see Akagi feeling anything for any of his commanders, only expecting that they fill out their given tasks with no mistakes at all. And that sort of thing is definitely something that hinders a twosided affair for any Akagi pairings, imo.

Yup, I know the feeling of OTP, haha. I am fairly reluctant to let anyone in an OTP of mine be with anybody else but I like to appreciate all pairings so I hope you at least have gained an understanding of while others may ship it even if you don't yourself. (:

I've actually been wondering the exact opposite - how can people NOT stick to one shipping per character? Every time I even try and picture it I just hate the thought 8|
I wonder if it has something to do with how you're raised or some personality trait - if certain people are more likely to have a OTP for each character and not support any other ships.
I went through a phase where I shipped Mars around with everyone but Saturn/Jupiter/Cyrus (yes there was a time) and it sort of lost its appeal all too quickly.. multishipping didn't hold any value for me 8| And since anything disrupting Saturn x Jupiter was simply absurd, Betelgeuse was convenient enough to get Cyrus and Mars out of the picture. 2loonies1collapsing portal
I dunno what it is but I just cringe at the thought of shipping a character with anyone more than one character almost always of the opposite gender. It usually stems from hints/potential for canon/superior interactions or lulz.
I used to ship Brock x May before I found out Drew existed.. then I saw him and realized Contest was a gr8. And now Shopping has no role in my shipdom. *shrug*

Well, I'm a multishipper but even I like to have that one favourite. I think part of it is that people can be fickle, regardless of their upbringing and so one moment, they think one shipping is perfect and then another day, they're sick of that pairing and prefer another one. Heck, I get like that. I gave up deciding on the best Satoshi ship so I just let him be with whoever depending on my mood.

Though also it's because just because you get together with someone, it doesn't necessarily mean they are the one you'll be with forever. With that sort of mindset, you can think stuff like, 'okay, if doesn't work out between so-and-so, there's always so-and-so.' And being a multishipper also helps the fact that if a pairing you like really doesn't work out, you don't have to feel so disappointed because hey, you like that other pairing too.

I mostly multiship for the heck of it and as a fanfiction writer, it helps me write all the different interactions better rather than thinking 'so-and-so likes so-and-so therefore their interactions will be romantic but I can't stand that shipping so I better stop all potential interaction between those two even if in canon, they would interact heaps regardless.' Or whatever, it helps me get a better understanding of the characters and how they bounce off one another so I do think being a multishipper helps that. With looking at all the different sides to situations instead of paying attention to one side and one side only, which is generally what can create misunderstandings of other ships.

I do agree however that having that one particular favourite for characters is important. I'm not sure how to explain it but it just is. 83 Also being a multishipper can annoy me in terms of deciding that favourite. So in the end, I end up picking favourite ships for my favourite characters and multishipping the rest when I feel like it, haha.

Hakajin
17th November 2009, 7:31 AM
One problem I have with multi-shipping is that I don't really get any closure with it. It's like with Fire Emblem. A lot of the characters can get endings with two or more people, and even though they usually have one that's kind of default, it kind of leaves me feeling like... my favorite doesn't work out for sure? I don't know, I just usually have a clear favorite, and while I can see the appeal of others, I only want the one to work out. I don't want the others to prevent it. There are times when I can't decide, though... like with Skip Beat!. Or NG Life. Oh my word, that manga has the most convoluted love triangle...

Mel-Girl
17th November 2009, 7:47 AM
One problem I have with multi-shipping is that I don't really get any closure with it. It's like with Fire Emblem. A lot of the characters can get endings with two or more people, and even though they usually have one that's kind of default, it kind of leaves me feeling like... my favorite doesn't work out for sure? I don't know, I just usually have a clear favorite, and while I can see the appeal of others, I only want the one to work out. I don't want the others to prevent it. There are times when I can't decide, though... like with Skip Beat!. Or NG Life. Oh my word, that manga has the most convoluted love triangle...

Some fandoms, I definitely know the feeling. Like in Vampire Knight, I don't really mind who Yuki ends up with cuz I like Zero and Kaname equally and like their interactions and whatnot to a similar degree but in Fruits Basket before I knew who Tohru would end up with, I was always rooting for her x Kyo in the end. Sometimes I think with fandoms like Pokemon, it's easier to be more out-there with your ships because there's tons of characters and therefore tons more possibilities than other fandoms where it's easy to tell and so you automatically root for a particular ship.

Hakajin
17th November 2009, 8:55 AM
Funny that you should mention Fruits Basket. I wouldn't even read it until I found out who Tohru ended up with, lest my preferred ship not work out.

Mandi.
17th November 2009, 2:06 PM

One-sided. (more of a creepy obsessive obsession ...rather than TRUE LOVE btw.)
Hun, Mars is obviously very emotionally screwed up, especially after what happened. BUT SUICIDE LOL?
Come to think about it, I never saw Cyrus favor any of his commanders over the other. So to say he favors his loli is just putting some false words out.
But Mars is going to be fine in her jail cell, after a bit. Probably going to realize FINALLY how screwed up her boss was.

If it doesn't have any hints I never tend to ship it.

I had to mention something on this. ...JOVIAN?

I'm a HUGE Multi-shipper, especially with my favorite characters. I'll pair them with anyone, because really, they look great with any person they get paired up with. BUT, I'll have my favorite pairing for the people.
Being too 'closed-minded' and not open to any other ships with that character ..I just find it blah and boring. Like, I tend to want to have fun with shipping, rather than "NOO F U. THAT SHIP SUCKS!" So liking as many ships, makes it less likely for me to get into shipping arguments. ahahahah. D:

But just to end it. I find multi-shipping very fun and it means that person is open to new ideas, and not just STUCK on their OTP (which is nice, but don't be a craaaaaazed h8r shipper.) :X

Blackjack Gabbiani
18th November 2009, 4:51 AM
Come to think about it, I never saw Cyrus favor any of his commanders over the other.

Except Mitsumi, but that's only because it was stated that he trained her personally, so it was from a professional standpoint. And she only exists in one canon anyway.

Me, I just think all three of them wanted him, but, like all those who tried to pry the sword from the stone, none were able to get the monumental stick out of his ***.

Typhlogirl
18th November 2009, 6:53 AM
I can understand Cyrus x Mars.

That's what makes it hawt, bb 8U

To be honest, I don't 'not understand' any one pairing. People have all kinds of different reasons for shipping things. Not all pairings are shipped because people want them to get married and have a house with a white picket fence and 2.5 kids and a dog and all that happy crap.

But I disgress.

Hihiroshi
22nd November 2009, 1:55 AM
I came here to look for this help ..... Well I kinda don't get Ikarishipping , I mean I don't understand any detail of it . I can't see any hints of it either =/ . I have tried to support it but always end up not getting it . So can someone kindly help me get to understand Ikarishipping ? . I will gladly appreciate it .

darklord18
22nd November 2009, 3:57 AM
I came here to look for this help ..... Well I kinda don't get Ikarishipping , I mean I don't understand any detail of it . I can't see any hints of it either =/ . I have tried to support it but always end up not getting it . So can someone kindly help me get to understand Ikarishipping ? . I will gladly appreciate it .

very simple, Ikarshipper mostly (me for one) support it because it good girl and bad boy, Good girl help bad boy open up to be more nicer and open.

Good girl and Bad boy shipping are mostly because of that for Example most believe Dawn can help Paul open up and start treating everyone and his pokemon with more kindness and respect while other might like to just ship Dawn with him because they seem right for each other.

also I came here to ask, I don't get Vivi x Max. I seen the episode and because I don't get it. can someone please explain this to me please?

Dark_Dreamz
22nd November 2009, 4:22 AM
Well, your signature speaks a thousand words when it comes to why you don't understand Poke/PearlShipping; you're too afraid to broaden your horizons because it feels like your turning your back on your beloved AdvanceShipping. Not to sound too harsh or anything, but because your central pairing is Advance, you've pretty much shut down any pairing that could expand from that central node, causing you to miss out on understanding how the other ships are possible.

Anyway, PokeShipping, as stated by your sig, is the original pairing (or, at least I think it is, since I don't think anything preludes them). It's more or less the many lover spats that occur on their journeys together that help make this pairing seem more realistic and understandable. Also, Misty is the female character that has been with Ash for more time than any of the other females that are apart of his group (five seasons if I've counted right). The best way to build understanding would be to compare AdvanceShipping to PokeShipping; both feature two characters that often bicker and fight with each other as they travel.

PearlShipping, on the other hand, I can't really speak for because I haven't really watched much of D/P, but I assume that it is for the same reasons that Advance and PokeShipping that Pearl was realized.

lol. I figured it out already. My sig was created when I first became an AdvanceShipper, and had no idea about other ships...Few people like it, so it was kept like that ^^

omniouswind
22nd November 2009, 5:17 AM
also I came here to ask, I don't get Vivi x Max. I seen the episode and because I don't get it. can someone please explain this to me please?

I used to support Vivi x Max...a long time ago.
But I mean, it was really just from that one episode. Vivi obviously had a crush on Max, or was at least flirting with him, and he seemed to return the feelings.
And although she got mad at him, it wasn't anything serious, and I was imagined them making up and having fun, cute adventures together.
Probably not very good reasoning, but that's why I liked it. d:

And if my thoughts weren't so scattered right now, I would have alot to say about the Team Galactic shipping debate-like thing that popped up here, as well as the topic of multishipping... But I'm tired.

Oraiste
22nd November 2009, 3:09 PM
This is less about a certain ship and more about shipping a certain character but I believe it's still appropriate for this topic.

I actually don't understand how people ship Ash with anyone at his current maturity level. To me Ash is way too immature currently to hold a relationship, and I was wondering how you guys think about this opinion? If you disagree with me then why, and if you agree how do you get around it? I've actually really always been curious about this since I just can't see Ash with anyone because of this although Poke/Advanced/Pearl shipping seems quite popular. (I'm not denying the hints for these pairings at all though just to stop out unnecessary wank)

As for the multishipping debate I'm a huge multishipper. It's mostly due to the fact that I love imagining the way these pairs could work out and my imagination is huge and needs lots of ships to think about. My favorite characters also become my black dresses in fandoms and I ship them with almost anyone but I usually always fall back on a few main ships that I've shipped when I first got into the fandom and can't let go of.

Hihiroshi
28th November 2009, 2:19 AM
very simple, Ikarshipper mostly (me for one) support it because it good girl and bad boy, Good girl help bad boy open up to be more nicer and open.

Good girl and Bad boy shipping are mostly because of that for Example most believe Dawn can help Paul open up and start treating everyone and his pokemon with more kindness and respect while other might like to just ship Dawn with him because they seem right for each other.

Oh I see . Well thanks for it and I think I kinda get it now . Maybe I do a little more research about it and I can come to understand it a bit more XP . But still thanks for the info there I appreciate it =) .

Its simple Vivi obviously liked Max from the start and saw that Max was returning feelings but though that Max was going to do anything she asked or get her anything she asked for . Max almost fell for this but once she saw that Max couldn't fail for it at the end she gave up on it so I think that the ship was mostly one-sided by Max's Part at the end but at the start both showed feelings toward each other .

Shinnie-tan
30th November 2009, 6:16 AM
I actually don't understand how people ship Ash with anyone at his current maturity level. To me Ash is way too immature currently to hold a relationship, and I was wondering how you guys think about this opinion? If you disagree with me then why, and if you agree how do you get around it?
I think most people get around it by either a) ignoring that fact in Ash's personality altogether b) by aging him up appropriately so he could hold a relationship with someone.

While I ship quite a bit, I haven't actually written anything about Ash yet - but personally, his emotional immaturity when it comes to relationship can be actually quite fun when writing a story and forcing him to jump through all these hurdles and hit giant road blocks. His 'love interest' of course, would have to have the patience of a saint and help Ash become more mature when it comes to romance and such.

For the people wondering about Gymshipping: I think it's because they have a pretty good friendship with each other and unlike the other two girls, Misty is pretty close to Brock's level of maturity. Friendship, is the key here I think. Misty seems like someone who would, after growing up, would want a guy who is a mature, kind sort of person and Brock needs someone who can keep him in line I guess?

Hakajin
30th November 2009, 11:16 AM
I actually don't understand how people ship Ash with anyone at his current maturity level. To me Ash is way too immature currently to hold a relationship, and I was wondering how you guys think about this opinion? If you disagree with me then why, and if you agree how do you get around it?

I think most of us focus on the friendship between Ash and Misty/May/Dawn/whoever. He has shown jealousy over Misty, at least, maybe the others, I don't know. So it's like... he thinks of her as being special, at least to the extent that he doesn't want her to like anyone else like that. But otherwise he doesn't think about. A lot of Ash shipping revolves around Ash figuring out his feelings. My idea was that he could admit that he liked Misty if he did, but they still wouldn't be ready to have a romantic relationship. I mean, they know they like each other, but they wait to actually do something about it. Does that make any sense?

Snoopy
30th November 2009, 6:02 PM
can someone help explain why pearlshipping is so popular?

before i became a shipper, when i was deciding between the 3 main Ash ships, I noticed that pearlshipping relied on very weak hints compared to the other 2 major ships, like dawn saying something to ash in a caring voice, trading pokemon, saving each other from death or high fiving. the first thing that came to my mind was "omg am i gay?" because i do the same with all my guy friends (high fiving etc) (except saving from death because that kind of thing is kinda rare.)

their relationship may and can grow into a full blown romance in the future, but at the moment, i have not any single stable hint of romance or even infatuation (feel free to correct me). unless concrete evidence like some of the good pokeshipping or contestshipping hints occur soon as it has been really late into the dp saga already and a "friendship developing into love" ship requires lots of time

examples of concrete shipping evidence (in my opinion) include: party A checking out party B, party A shows jealousy when party B shows signs of attraction to party C or obvious romantic gestures like roses as een in contestshipping.

anyway, this is probably biased because i decided to support pokeshipping, but can someone answer my question?

adrenaline
30th November 2009, 7:56 PM
can someone help explain why pearlshipping is so popular?

before i became a shipper, when i was deciding between the 3 main Ash ships, I noticed that pearlshipping relied on very weak hints compared to the other 2 major ships, like dawn saying something to ash in a caring voice, trading pokemon, saving each other from death or high fiving. the first thing that came to my mind was "omg am i gay?" because i do the same with all my guy friends (high fiving etc) (except saving from death because that kind of thing is kinda rare.)

their relationship may and can grow into a full blown romance in the future, but at the moment, i have not any single stable hint of romance or even infatuation (feel free to correct me). unless concrete evidence like some of the good pokeshipping or contestshipping hints occur soon as it has been really late into the dp saga already and a "friendship developing into love" ship requires lots of time

examples of concrete shipping evidence (in my opinion) include: party A checking out party B, party A shows jealousy when party B shows signs of attraction to party C or obvious romantic gestures like roses as een in contestshipping.

anyway, this is probably biased because i decided to support pokeshipping, but can someone answer my question?

Ash and Dawn are remarkably similar, in their backgrounds and as trainers/coordinators. Plus, Dawn is noticeably concerned with Ash's career: During battles, after losses, etc.

Maybe that helps.

Snoopy
1st December 2009, 8:04 AM
thats exectly the kind of thing that made me feel pearlshipping as 'weaker" compared to the other ash ships as because of those kind of "friendship" hints are almost all there is.

you dont tell me that you do not care for your friends after they fail an exam? plus similarities in backgrounds do not make any difference.

but if i see dawn blushing at a comment that she and ash might be bf/gf, then i would be more inclined to believe it to pearlshipping to come through. but currently, i dont understand the "drive" behind pearlshipping.

the writers of pokemon are capable of some romance as in morpheusshipping, angie is seen blushing towards ash and her parents make remarks that they could make ash angie's husband. a clear reference to romance. thus, it seems unlikely they have not considered a romance between the ash and dawn.

Rissychan
1st December 2009, 7:42 PM

Hiya I am a big ikarishipper (I lead the Ikari thread actually x3) so I might help a bit there even if your post a bit old now x3

If you're watching the anime only I can see why you don't get it, because there aren't as you said it, real "hints".
I'd rather call them moments even if there are just a few of them (meant by the scenarists or not we'll never know) which a lot of ikarishipper find cute/funny ^^
For example in Roark's Gym they did have a real interaction and that's what started it all.

Rather that focusing of the anime to understand Ikari, (DP being quite shippingless xD) maybe you should give the fandom a shot, that's what makes Ikari a quite popular ship and keeps it going.

I, personally, and I think most ikarishippers as well, don't care about the anime, we just like Dawn and Paul and the potential they could have.

Ikarishippers believe that it has endless possibilities, that's probably why there are like 470 ikari fanfictions on ff.net, it is inspiring for some people. (I don't wanna bash anything but to make a comparison there are only 74 Penguin fics oO )

The contrast between them makes it appealing but the lack of evidence leaves the fans with no other choice than creating stories/videos/art ect to make it up for it , that's why it has a huge fandom ^^

Try watching an amv on youtube or read a fanfiction you may ba able to get it then :3

Hihiroshi
2nd December 2009, 2:02 AM
Hiya I am a big ikarishipper (I lead the Ikari thread actually x3) so I might help a bit there even if your post a bit old now x3

If you're watching the anime only I can see why you don't get it, because there aren't as you said it, real "hints".
I'd rather call them moments even if there are just a few of them (meant by the scenarists or not we'll never know) which a lot of ikarishipper find cute/funny ^^
For example in Roark's Gym they did have a real interaction and that's what started it all.

Rather that focusing of the anime to understand Ikari, (DP being quite shippingless xD) maybe you should give the fandom a shot, that's what makes Ikari a quite popular ship and keeps it going.

I, personally, and I think most ikarishippers as well, don't care about the anime, we just like Dawn and Paul and the potential they could have.

Ikarishippers believe that it has endless possibilities, that's probably why there are like 470 ikari fanfictions on ff.net, it is inspiring for some people. (I don't wanna bash anything but to make a comparison there are only 74 Penguin fics oO )

The contrast between them makes it appealing but the lack of evidence leaves the fans with no other choice than creating stories/videos/art ect to make it up for it , that's why it has a huge fandom ^^

Try watching an amv on youtube or read a fanfiction you may ba able to get it then :3

Lulz now this is something I was waiting for XP . So thanks a lot for this ^^ I really appreciate this. Maybe that's the reason why I haven't get the ship that much . So I ma try to do the things you suggested there , once again thanks =).

SceptileFan
3rd December 2009, 3:42 AM
I've never understood Palletshipping. I mean, Ash and Gary are rivals/friends, but that doesn't make sense to me how they can be gay with each other. Ash doesn't seem like the homosexual type, and neither does Gary (I mean he has hot cheerleaders following him around for the entire 2 first seasons). Can somebody explain how they think this could work?

riolulu
3rd December 2009, 5:50 AM
I think Cynthia would be a good role model for Dawn: she's a sinnoh champ, good looking and someone Dawn can aspire to.

woah, that's actually a really good point. :3 She would bring out Dawn's inner fangirl XD

I actually don't understand how people ship Ash with anyone at his current maturity level. To me Ash is way too immature currently to hold a relationship, and I was wondering how you guys think about this opinion? If you disagree with me then why, and if you agree how do you get around it? I've actually really always been curious about this since I just can't see Ash with anyone because of this although Poke/Advanced/Pearl shipping seems quite popular. (I'm not denying the hints for these pairings at all though just to stop out unnecessary wank)

Well, that's exactly what makes it fun XD We imagine how other characters would manipulate and interact with Ash because of this and find shippings that much more exciting because of it. Ash would be the cutest Uke in yaoi, for example, because semes would adore his dense and playfull-ness. In ships like pearlshipping, how they are at the same level, its funny to think about the things they would say as a couple and the things they would do!

We use that as a tool to move forward rather than a barrier. Plus, we all know that Ash is never gonna date anyone...at least that's what it seems like now. And most of the time, we don't care if he can have a stable relationship, we just consider how he is for another character and how that character is for him. Not if the relationship would work out after it's began or not.

I hope I helped. :3

~riolulu

Orenji-chan
5th December 2009, 4:43 AM
I do not understand OldRivalshipping at all. I know this pairing in particular is very popular but I do not see any evidence when I read the manga. However, I do understand that they are opposites and that seems to work very well in manga/anime (overall). But overall, I do not understand why OldRivalshipping is so popular and what its hints are. So if someone could explain them to me, that would be fantastic! :)

Lunanight
5th December 2009, 7:51 PM
:3 Well, that's exactly what makes it fun XD We imagine how other characters would manipulate and interact with Ash because of this and find shippings that much more exciting because of it. Ash would be the cutest Uke in yaoi, for example, because semes would adore his dense and playfull-ness. In ships like pearlshipping, how they are at the same level, its funny to think about the things they would say as a couple and the things they would do!

We use that as a tool to move forward rather than a barrier. Plus, we all know that Ash is never gonna date anyone...at least that's what it seems like now. And most of the time, we don't care if he can have a stable relationship, we just consider how he is for another character and how that character is for him. Not if the relationship would work out after it's began or not.

I hope I helped. :3

~riolulu

what about the latias in the 5th movie?, or was it the girl because it could of been latias manipulating ash

by the way, what is altoshipping?

Toran Frostbite
5th December 2009, 10:10 PM
You actually sorta answered your own question. Altoshipping is Ash/Latias (which Mareshipping is Ash/Bianca, the girl from the same movie).

Witchan
6th December 2009, 9:10 PM

~riolulu

Well, too be honest, many people are willing to understand girlpowershipping and making both Cynthia and Dawn a great couple regarding age. Speaking of age, some people dislike young/old couples in any shippings and it grosses them out, but it's their opinion, and it's something like this:

hey witchan why do you support gay shippng. And glacia is too old to make out with phoebe. Anyway piz dont put lesbian quotes in your sign. It just looks wrong and it makes people think you are a lesbian yourself! I'm not protesting but if strict heterosexuals see this, you will have a gang after you so b careful.

At your service

-Dracomaster16

Yeah, it happens.

Midnightmoon6o2
8th December 2009, 3:53 PM
Even though i supprot Pearl on a friendship level, Ash and Dawn as a couple just seem to blurry you could call them as a crack pairing. (no offence) but i really don't understand what there is to go all crazy and fangirly about.

Sometimes Pearlshipping is confusing at times. 0.o

XxM!styxX
18th December 2009, 8:43 AM
I'm so pumped from making a Pokeshipping AMV that I am READY to answer this \o/
So, obviously, whatever Ash ship you support, you have to admit that Ash is an idiot when it comes to romance. Although he's gotten more mature with Pokemon, his girl/boy/whatever radar is very much nonexistant. What shippers hope will happen is for Ash to one day "see the light", open his eyes and say "crap i love soandso!" *cough*MISTY*cough*
Saying that, some Ash/person shippers (in order to figure out who Ash leans the most toward romantically/crushingly/slightly-might-like) will review how Ash interacts with certain people. For example (AHH POKESHIPPING ATTACK) in the beginnings of the show Ash was jealous when Misty liked 2 of the Orange Island gym leaders/they had interest in her, is very possesive about her stuff (the lure), he was also hinted by other people liking Misty (Tracey@Love, Pokemon Style, Nurse Joy@Electric Showdown and Rudy@Misty Meets Her Match), his extreme protectiveness over her when she made cameos(@The Princess and the Togepi! & Pokemon 4Ever) and although there's not much else, we (thaaa pokeshippers) believe he's shown the MOST potential toward Misty.
But of course, that's just an example :) did i mention the producers originally planned the first pokemon movie to be the ending of the show and Misty to be Ash's baby momma? <3

deokishisu.123
18th December 2009, 9:34 PM
Well, too be honest, many people are willing to understand girlpowershipping and making both Cynthia and Dawn a great couple regarding age. Speaking of age, some people dislike young/old couples in any shippings and it grosses them out, but it's their opinion, and it's something like this:

Yeah, it happens.

well, ill have a gang after me then. i dont get why there are "lesbian" shippings in the first place. pokemon dosnt need that stuff. why? cuz pokemon is epic and dosnt need that dirty stuff. like me ofc. :P

Blackjack Gabbiani
18th December 2009, 9:49 PM
How is that "dirty"? At least any more than any other sort of ship anyway (which admittedly can get pretty dirty but hey).

There are lesbian ships because lesbians exist. It only stands to reason they would also exist in Pok&#233;mon.

Yeti
31st December 2009, 1:22 AM
And I know Yeti's going to see this as something personal but really the mentions of them just reminded me. I really don't get Cyrus/Mars. Mars is violent and loves blowing stuff up as a means of basic problem solving, while he seems to abhor violence and take it, when necessary (and he never denies that it's necessary for his goals), as a heavy undertaking. She's far too casual about things for someone who wants to eliminate hatred and war.
No I don't take things on a Pokemon forum as personal enslaughts unlike some.
;107;
Cyrus x Mars is the single-most hinted TG ship it has no opposition 8|
Mars is obviously mentally ill and probably just as psychopathic as Cyrus. They get along well in their delusions together and though they have slightly different kicks for removing the inferior humans it is their goal to destroy everyone since they are weak.
If Cyrus really did have a problem with her methods she wouldn't be a commander or in the organization at all. He is quite content to allow her to be herself and he never seems to mind it.
The ship is like Contestshipping...... you just can't deny it's canon even though you were never slapped in the face with a cricket bat inscribed saying "it's canon".

Me neither, but for a different reason(I ship Akatsuki so I'm fond with opposite attract pairings). I don't see any possible romance.

Also, Jupiter/Saturn.
The point of the ship isn't 'romance' it is pure uncensored sex trolloling it up. Anything with Cyrus would be hard-pressed to consider romantic as opposed to physically-motivated or drawn from his mental instabilities.
Cyrus and Mars get along swimmingly there is no reason why a relationship between them wouldn't work out.

Saturn on Jupiter is the ultimate in shipping. It is just above everything else in life it is a true gr8 capable of uniting the masses as it sweeps the nations 8]
Also they're the left-over commanders not mentally troubled and on Cyrus' nuts in DP and they're the opposite gender and this is Pokemon so it works yay

Well, exactly as you said. Fandom interpretation. The way you interpret Mars and Cyrus is different to say my interpretation. I don't deny that Mars is very devoted to Big Boss Man and wanting to please him but I don't see Akagi feeling anything for any of his commanders, only expecting that they fill out their given tasks with no mistakes at all. And that sort of thing is definitely something that hinders a twosided affair for any Akagi pairings, imo.
He isn't supposed to feel anything for her that ruins the magic 8]
It is just Cyrus on Mars on desk psychopathic ragesex fuming as the desk beneath them buckles sadly.
Not to mention she is young and capable of bearing his children as opposed to Saturn who is a male and Jupiter who is older than Mars and thus will be leaving the peak breeding age sooner. Also she would have less energy and live a shorter time than Mars who would be best to provide for his spawn.
Unless of course............. they're black panthered

I will make it my goal to reply to the rest of your replies to my reply asap however I am not at my home currently thus unwilling to reply to you to the best of my abilities - something I feel you deserve typing all that.

Hun, Mars is obviously very emotionally screwed up, especially after what happened. BUT SUICIDE LOL?
Come to think about it, I never saw Cyrus favor any of his commanders over the other. So to say he favors his loli is just putting some false words out.
But Mars is going to be fine in her jail cell, after a bit. Probably going to realize FINALLY how screwed up her boss was.
It is not entirely one-sided. Cyrus shrugged off Mars' failure on Iron Island despite not finishing the task or blowing it up however he told Saturn his inability to get the orb which Saturn's gf's Skuntank acquired miniutes later was a poor reflection on Saturn. Despite the slightly-delayed success of that mission Saturn is treated worse than Mars who is never punished for her shortcomings.
So he does favor his loli.
Mars will be suiciding in her jail cell it is obvious, her level of mental illness is too severe for her to continue like this and I have never seen an insane asylum in Pokemon.
She will see Cyrus again in the afterlife when he gives in to the demands of his broken new universe and dies as well. They will live on happily ever after in death since they could never be together in life.

Love and Caring

If it doesn't have any hints I never tend to ship it.

I had to mention something on this. ...JOVIAN?
I don't get what your prob is here.. Jovianshipping has more hints than any other ship in Pokemon, even Carnivalshipping my extremely canon beloved. Jovian is fully undeniable there are no exceptions to its reign of glory across the fandom.
It has been undeniably confirmed in every aspect of Pokemon including but not limited to the games, the anime, the manga and the downloadable Pokemon.
Satoshi whatever his name is himself issued a press release the other day stating Jovianshipping is his favorite ship and it has been given the exclusive title of Most Canon Ship in Pokemon.

They are male and female counterparts in Pokemon it is canon and has many hints.

Except Mitsumi, but that's only because it was stated that he trained her personally, so it was from a professional standpoint. And she only exists in one canon anyway.

Me, I just think all three of them wanted him, but, like all those who tried to pry the sword from the stone, none were able to get the monumental stick out of his ***.
As stated above he favors Mars because she is his superior loli as opposed to all else.

I still don't get where Jupiter ever indicates she has any interest in Cyrus she almost seems disgusted by him in the anime and Saturn is just OCD about his work he has no actual sexual or romantic interest in Cyrus he is merely a pawn, a very trusting sheep.

How is that "dirty"? At least any more than any other sort of ship anyway (which admittedly can get pretty dirty but hey).

There are lesbian ships because lesbians exist. It only stands to reason they would also exist in Pokémon.
I agree fully with the user who stated Pokemon does not need that dirty stuff.

Pokemon is a children's series there are never deviant sexualities in series directed for kids with any sort of American control over them.
America successfully manages to keep non-heterosexual relationships away from children who do not need to have their views of proper mating skewed by suspect sexual deviations.

Since this thread is for ships you don't understand and I don't think I've mentioned this yet:
I don't get how people can ship yaoi/yuri seriously.. My own shipping of Marth x Ike is from me and my thugs trolling on IRC loling @ it and that is sort of the sole exception to heterosexual ships I like.
You know maybe I have mentioned this before but I'll bring it up again just for discussion.

Heterosexual ships are the way people are supposed to be it is natural and leads to the reproduction of the species it is genetically correct and without heterosexuality the species would die out so people would cease to exist.
I just don't get the appeal of shipping something that goes against how people are born =\
Maybe others don't share my views on heterosexuality and that homosexuality is a chosen deviation so that's why they ship yaoi/yuri, idk.
I am js why I feel this way nobody start hating or anything I am just stating my opinion and the basis for it, do not want any hate or drama.

Yeah I just don't get the draw of non-het ships.. it doesn't even work right physically like it's just not how people are designed 8X

Feel free to explain why you ship yaoi/yuri as a serious ship not just as a joke, perhaps I can come to an understanding as to this even if I won't actively support non-het myself.

Blackjack Gabbiani
31st December 2009, 2:36 AM
Sexual DEVIATIONS? You did not seriously just say that. You seem to think that everyone has to be heterosexual for a species to survive, and that's clearly not the case, nor has it ever BEEN the case, at any point in history.

Oh my god. Leave your bigotry out of fandom posts.

Mandi.
31st December 2009, 3:29 AM
all your post ..cause it's too long

Not even going to try this with you, lol. Because most of your crap is ******** anyways, so it doesn't bother me.

BTW, welcome back love. Still thinking you're hilarious right. eheeh.

I will comment on your yaoi/yuri comments though.
Don't turn this into a homosexuality debate thread ..there's already one, we can totally go at it there.

But I have to say something...

If two people love or are attracted to each other, then that's their life/choice.
And not everyone wants kids anyways. And who cares if it 'goes against the way people are born'. So many people are reproducing, it doesn't matter. Life isn't going to die anytime soon. Don't worry dear.

Nobody cares about your fear of homosexuals. D:

Yaoi/Yuri is sexy, yeah.

Toran Frostbite
31st December 2009, 5:32 AM
The point of the ship isn't 'romance' it is pure uncensored sex trolloling it up.

He isn't supposed to feel anything for her that ruins the magic 8]
It is just Cyrus on Mars on desk psychopathic ragesex fuming as the desk beneath them buckles sadly.

Pokemon is a children's series there are never deviant sexualities in series directed for kids with any sort of American control over them.
...Anyone else see what I smell?

Hypocrisy. 83

If you can like your fetish fueled couples (domination, unbridled sex, possible kinks of high caliber), then I'm sure you can understand ours (gay couples, which is an equal preference in the same category of support).

Battleship sunk.

omniouswind
31st December 2009, 5:33 AM
fff there's so much going on here I don't know who/what to quote. So I'll just respond to some general points/questions that have been brought up.

1. Jovianshipping: I'm not entirely sure how I came about supporting this ship, but it just made sense in my head and has always stuck with me through my ever-changing taste in Galactic ships.
To me, Jupiter and Saturn both seemed like the most mature members of TG, and that's why I paired them off together originally. Conjuctionshipping didn't click in my head, I guess because I saw Mars as too immature for Saturn. He's seems to be very dedicated to his work, and Mars would be a distraction. A fun distraction, but one nonetheless.
I think Saturn needs a mature woman who knows how to get stuff down. aka Jupiter.
idk they just click together for me.

2. Betelgeuseshipping/various Cyrus shippings/whatever: Originally I didn't ship Cyrus with anyone and Mars with everyone. I guess it wasn't until I read some of Yeti's fics that I was converted. (:
I can see how Cyrusxany of the Commanders can be seen as one-sided from the Commander; for Saturn, he's sort of a suck-up and seemed to always want to follow out Cyrus's orders perfectly. For Jupiter, it was really just in DPA! where she just seemed hella jealous of Cyrus's favoritism for Mitsumi. Or something. And for Mars, well I don't think we need to go into that; it's quite obvious she's obsessed, to the point of insanity, the poor girl.

Anyway, since Mars's feelings for Cyrus seem to be the strongest, I ended up being more partial to the couple (and it helped that Jovianshipping was established in my mind d: )
The only issue, as others have pointed out, is the lack of emotion Cyrus seems to have. Or at least the fact that he represses them like whoa and would be the last person you would expect to be in a romantic relationship. Sexual, maybe, but that's another thing. But this is a point that can be used to refute nearly all other Cyrus ships, not just Betelgeuse.
But the love Mars has for him is the strongest so it wins yay

3. Yaoi/yuri ships: I don't think I can even explain why I ship them. Of course none of them really have a chance of becoming canon, this is Pokemon after all, but I guess it's kind of fun to just ship and not have barriers like gender and natural order and whatnot get in the way. It's just fiction, so it's not that big of a deal. d:

Except for a few ships that I do defend, and prefer not to ship the characters around, I'm pretty chill about the whole thing. So if you want to ship Ash with a girl, boy, Pokemon, table whatever, I don't really care. It doesn't mean I'll ship it though, ahah.

Encyclopika
31st December 2009, 6:14 AM
Shut up the both of you. D: This thread is a chance for shippers to explain their fandom without fear of ridicule - you're killing it.

Yeti - your opinion is not fact and to be very honest, I'm with Blackjack on it. However, whether it's wrong or not has no grounds in shipping...seriously...since when in hell did shipping make any sense except if we were debating canon? People shipped Ash's Pokedex with his hat five years ago, so please.

Blackjack - we know you're right. A very large portion of this board supports at least one gay ship, or accepts it as hilarity or common sense. Either way, she would have gotten infracted for such a comment, as did the first person who would say something so hurtful - you did NOT need to comment or start a fight with her. But anyway, again, if someone wants to make sense of shipping, they really need to get a reality check. D:

It's like...you both report the other one, but then keep throwing fuel on the fire, so now both of you are in the wrong.

I really don't want to resort to infracting you two for talking to each other. Speaking my mind right now, it's just been getting worse - the two of you butting heads. If you can't speak nicely to each other, then please don't. Your fights really turn a thread off.
If the issue continues, the thread is closed, and in my opinion, I thought it was going well there for a while, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. If you want to debate whether being gay is wrong or right, the Debate board is not too far away - they'd love to have you.

Continue on topic.

Mandi.
31st December 2009, 5:47 PM
1. Jovianshipping: I'm not entirely sure how I came about supporting this ship, but it just made sense in my head and has always stuck with me through my ever-changing taste in Galactic ships.
To me, Jupiter and Saturn both seemed like the most mature members of TG, and that's why I paired them off together originally. Conjuctionshipping didn't click in my head, I guess because I saw Mars as too immature for Saturn. He's seems to be very dedicated to his work, and Mars would be a distraction. A fun distraction, but one nonetheless.
I think Saturn needs a mature woman who knows how to get stuff down. aka Jupiter.
idk they just click together for me.

see, that's exactly why I like the switched around ship. To me, Jovian seems kind of boring, due to the fact that both Saturn and Jupiter are mature and a bit more calm than little Marssyy. There's like no spark in the relationship to me. ...And Jupiter needs older man than herself. not to mention a MAN MAN (something Saturn isn't too much of himself, ehehehee.)

Saturn/Mars on the other hand. Kinky kinky kinky indeed. Mars is wacko and fun and 'immature' (not really immature ...more as she is just fun and crazy). Saturn being with Mars might make him open up more and stop being so distracted in his work. And maybe Saturn would calm down Mars a bit (LOL.)

IDK. different opinions, nothing wrong. :3

omniouswind
1st January 2010, 6:38 PM
see, that's exactly why I like the switched around ship. To me, Jovian seems kind of boring, due to the fact that both Saturn and Jupiter are mature and a bit more calm than little Marssyy. There's like no spark in the relationship to me. ...And Jupiter needs older man than herself. not to mention a MAN MAN (something Saturn isn't too much of himself, ehehehee.)

Saturn/Mars on the other hand. Kinky kinky kinky indeed. Mars is wacko and fun and 'immature' (not really immature ...more as she is just fun and crazy). Saturn being with Mars might make him open up more and stop being so distracted in his work. And maybe Saturn would calm down Mars a bit (LOL.)

IDK. different opinions, nothing wrong. :3

Like I realize that's why a lot of people like Conjuctionshipping... because of the "fun" aspect that Mars brings to the relationship. So eh I can see how it appeals to people, but it just isn't my cup of tea. *shrugs* plus I think Cyrus could use more fun than Cyrus
lol I can see Jovian being kinky but in a weird adult way I dunno, I can't even explain it. ;x Just ignore this.

I just got in to Jovian first, and actually stuck with it. d: