PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your party HM's or use HM slaves?

Glitcher
30th October 2009, 9:37 PM
I'm wondering which method used by most of the community: itegrating HM moves into your party or use specific HM slaves to get around the region? Personally, I find that constantly juggling between the six Pokemon you intend to train and HM slaves to be far too tedious, which is why I always plan ahead so that my party has a good balance of battle moves and HM moves. Besides, some HM moves are useful in a fight too, like Surf and Fly. What about you?

Tiomasta
30th October 2009, 11:18 PM
HM slave and a few moves around. Bibarel FTW.

Having a Bibarel with Cut/Rock Climb/Rock Smash/Waterfall(or Surf) leaves Strength(which is a decent move for in-game on any physical attacker, Return likely isn't at full power at that time), Fly(which is also decent for in-game) and Waterfall or Surf.
You would probably have a water-type on your team, or some poke which can learn Surf or Waterfall. You leave one for Bibarel, and one for your other poke.

And that's it.

foxyman1167
30th October 2009, 11:20 PM
I give my party HMs for Surf and Waterfall but thats it. I use HM Slaves for the rest of them.

shaoon
30th October 2009, 11:25 PM
Surf and fly are the only really good HMs. Because of that I use HM slaves.

Tiomasta
30th October 2009, 11:28 PM
Surf and fly are the only really good HMs. Because of that I use HM slaves.

Waterfall is the physical version of Surf, it's better when you have something like a Gyarados or a Kabutops. I mean, it's good too.
Strength also works in-game.

SolarPowerX
30th October 2009, 11:29 PM
It usually depends on the HM and how badly I need it. Some are OK, but for the others I use HM slaves

Lorde
30th October 2009, 11:38 PM
A little of both.

Surf and Fly I usually teach to "keepers". I rarely use HM Slaves. I am not a Slave Master.

GoombaGeek
31st October 2009, 12:01 AM
My HM slaves are Marill and Shieldon. My Staraptor knows Fly, though.

ClassicalwaterPokemon
31st October 2009, 12:22 AM
I use the HM's on my pokemon in my team..

CAH
31st October 2009, 12:51 AM
HM slave and a few moves around. Bibarel FTW.

Having a Bibarel with Cut/Rock Climb/Rock Smash/Waterfall(or Surf) leaves Strength(which is a decent move for in-game on any physical attacker, Return likely isn't at full power at that time), Fly(which is also decent for in-game) and Waterfall or Surf.
You would probably have a water-type on your team, or some poke which can learn Surf or Waterfall. You leave one for Bibarel, and one for your other poke.

And that's it.

I do this. In R/S/E i used my zigzagoon (called HMzagoon), but now its all about Bibarel (HMdoof) , the ultimate HM slave

Cerex
31st October 2009, 1:02 AM
I typically don't like to travel around with a full team, but rather just stick with two or three. Which leaves me a spot(s) for HM Slaves or hatching an egg or two. Mantine for Surf and Waterfall, Victreebel for Cut, Fearow for Fly and Defog, Hariyama for all others.

leilukin
31st October 2009, 3:49 AM
I teach Surf, Waterfall, Fly and/or Strength to my party Pokemon. For others, I teach them to my HM slaves.

My HM slaves:
In R/S/E, I use Linoone(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength) and Marill(Strength, Rock Smash, Dive, Waterfall).
In FR/LG, I use Raticate(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength) and Marill(Rock Smash, Waterfall, Strength, Surf).
In D/P/Pt, I use two Bibarel and a Gliscor(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Defog).

GolemGuy
31st October 2009, 3:58 AM
I teach Surf/Waterfall (depending on my Water type), Strength, and Rock Climb to my team. I used to teach Fly, but not any more.

arceus7
31st October 2009, 4:12 AM
why not fly anymore its gotten strong in game

STICKTOPIA
31st October 2009, 4:25 AM
I use HM slaves(except with surf)

KKInu
31st October 2009, 5:45 AM
I dislike the idea of using a single pokemon as an "HM Slave" or rather, I hate the term "slave", it makes it seem like you don't treat that pokemon like your other pokemon, which seems rather mean to me. I don't want to treat a Pokemon as my slave, it seems kinda cruel. I much prefer giving my party pokemon HM's, especially if the HM's are useful, like Surf or Fly. I tend to give HM moves that aren't so useful to Pokemon I don't use often, but I still don't treat them like slaves.

Even if I have a pokemon that I use more for HM's than other pokemon, I still have the courtesy to give it a nickname, give it at most 3 HM moves so that it leaves room for a move that it learns naturally (or a move that it more powerful than an HM move) and I use it in battle just like the other Pokemon I own. I give any remaining HM moves to pokemon in my party or something.

ShinyPichu4Ever
31st October 2009, 5:56 AM
I use a Bibarel as an HM slave for Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Cut, and Strength. and then I gave Surf to my Empoleon, Waterfall to Gyarados, and Fly to my Pelipper.

Don Pachi
31st October 2009, 6:01 AM
Hm slaves.I tried hm's on my team but they where useless.Like cut on Treeko

JerisEnigma
31st October 2009, 6:19 AM
It depends how long I've been playing.

If I'm still getting badges or finishing up areas, etc then I'll spread things around my main party.
If I'm done however, then I've usually abandoned half my team to box life and will have an mega HM slave like zigzagoon, peliper or ludicolo in the remaining party.
I need empty slots at end game for ease of breeding & eggs for 100% completion.

Short Wing
31st October 2009, 7:20 AM
No, I didn't give my Sinnoh team any HM moves, except Waterfall on Floatzel, it got to be a pain switching out for good 'ol Bibarel and Starly for my HM's each time I needed to bypass a shrub or cross a rock or not drown.

Spirit of Darkness
31st October 2009, 7:58 AM
In all of my games, I have used HM slaves, however, this time in my HG, I will put the useful HMs with my own team.

Visual
31st October 2009, 10:56 AM
I use HM slaves in Diamond and Platinum. Bibarel and Tropius are really useful.

LadyCharizard
31st October 2009, 11:56 AM
I tend to give my party Pokémon Waterfall/Surf and sometimes Fly, but that's about it. I normally give a Bibarel Rock Climb, Strength, Rock Smash and the Water HM I don't have in my party, though I might give a Bibarel in Diamond Cut, since my Dratini has Surf and my Croconaw has Waterfall.

**Jirachi**
31st October 2009, 12:02 PM
I dont use HM move on my party pokémon since G/S/C.I made a mistake of teaching every single HM move to my main team on R/B/Y and it was really bad when I found out that pokémon cannot forget HM moves.Even though there are move deleters since G/S/C,I dont teach them to my main team just because they are mostly useless with the exception of surf and waterfall.In R/S/E,I use Tropius(Fly,Flash,Strength and Cut) and Wailord(Surf,Dive,Waterfall and Rock Smash).In D/P/Pt,I use Tropius(Fly,Strength,Cut and Defog) and Golduck(Surf,Waterfall,Rock Climb and Rock Smash).

Larry
31st October 2009, 1:07 PM
I have always used at least one HM Move on my party since R/B/Y. I had cut on my Charizard.

Final
31st October 2009, 1:23 PM
I use HM slaves. Bibarel FTW. I also use a Skarmory named Metal Bird for the others.

Hiro__
31st October 2009, 5:17 PM
I have never used hm slaves and never will. I like most of the HMs, but Flash/defog are horrible, and i dislike cut and whirlpool as hms. Other than that, i use every other hm on my usual team. Crazy, i know, but i think i actually use some of them (surf, waterfall, strength...) effectively. Many of them are actually useful too! Surf is by far the best hm move on the face of the earth. I've almost always had multiple surfers on my teams.

Metagross Guy
1st November 2009, 2:03 AM
i Had Hm slaves.

the elite trainer
1st November 2009, 2:05 AM
I only use my starter. So HM slaves.

ChibiTracy
1st November 2009, 2:08 AM
My HM Pokemon is actually a bibarel with cut,rock smash,strength and rock climb
and a zubat with defog and fly

RaiBlade
1st November 2009, 5:09 AM
I use an HM slave like Bibarel ( the best slave trust me )
But I teach some HMs like Waterfall and Surf to my party.

Pyrax
1st November 2009, 11:31 AM
Mostly Bibarel, although HM moves are mostly spread out around my team.

POKéVOXX
1st November 2009, 1:24 PM
It depends on who I'm training at the moment.

HoennMaster
3rd November 2009, 9:29 PM
I always teach a team member Fly and Surf. Waterfall once in a while (depending on the Pokémon) and I'm starting to use Rock Climb in my party. Other then that, HM Slave Bibarel is at my service.

squirtle_123
3rd November 2009, 11:06 PM
Out of convenience I mostly put HM moves on my team but after i start getting competitive with them i get an HM slave.

MedievalVikingPokemon
4th November 2009, 4:16 AM
Sometimes I will give my starter HM's.
I also give them to HM slaves too, like bibarel.
Also who ever is on my team, I will give them HM's also.

newmoon island
4th November 2009, 12:57 PM
I teach fly and surf to my team. Besides that, I just use bibarel for most of my HMs.

Carlosem
8th November 2009, 2:41 PM
I have never used an HM slave. I'd rather have 6 usable pokemon that i can actually battle with and have fun with, than 5 pokemon and an hm slave.

I just scatter the HMs between my pokemon-Platinum Team:
Floatzel-Surf/Waterfall
Torterra-Rock Climb
Magmortar- Strength
Gallade-Rock Smash (hate it)
Togekiss- Fly/defog (really hate defog)
Magnezone- can't learn any...

SilverLanayru
8th November 2009, 6:43 PM
I usually have my shiny Bibarel as my HM slave... though the other Pokemon I use for HMs are: shiny Floatzel (Waterfall), Milotic (Surf), Empoleon (Surf, Waterfall I think?), Staraptor (Fly, Defog). I don't really use them that much, except for when I need to surf or fly.

Alpha Gamer
8th November 2009, 6:51 PM
I only teach Strength, Surf, Fly, and maybe Waterfall to the members of my team and use an HM Slave for the rest.

DUCKAtl
8th November 2009, 7:01 PM
bidoof is the perfect hm slave

jorisw
8th November 2009, 7:10 PM
I useally have Tropius and bibarel on my team, but sometimes I use my shiny salamence as HM slave.

kingofmaelstroms
8th November 2009, 7:46 PM
i use gible for an hm slave. but only the bad hms like rock smash, strength, rock climb, and cut

EmpoleonRules
8th November 2009, 7:48 PM
It depends on what HM it is. The ones that I would teach to my main pokemon would be Surf, Fly, and sometimes Waterfall. The rest I use HM slaves.

Greencat
9th November 2009, 8:21 AM
Usually other Pokémon, but usually one of my Pokes know Surf. I mainly use Surf, Fly, and that's about it. :p

ChrisOk1
9th November 2009, 8:29 AM
I use Bibarel... Nuff Sed.

Ruin Maniac Cairo
9th November 2009, 11:37 AM
I don't use HM slaves, I teach the HMs to the Pokemon in my party. An HM slave just makes me feel bad, besides, some HMs are pretty useful in battle.

Dattebayo
9th November 2009, 2:41 PM
I give each of my Pokemon an HM move, but I'm afraid they might waste a spot for a move that is useful for it in competitive battles or isn't part of my Pokemon's power (physical attacks and special attacks).

ComelyCleric~
9th November 2009, 8:57 PM
I generally use hm "slaves", except for the move fly, as it has some decent in game use.

arceus7
9th November 2009, 9:02 PM
Don’t you find it odd that in the generation switch fly went up in power by 25 so it does 95 damage instead of 70 and in double battles surf hits three pokemon instead of two in the 4th generation than in the 3rd? Im wondering ,if surf is just the same as a water version of earthquake why did it not get a power boost like fly did since their both the most useful hms???? Besides I was thinking it should have a base of 100 like earthquake since it has the same effect now but that’s only a 5 overall power damage boost.

Shneak
9th November 2009, 9:06 PM
I only teach Surf/Waterfall to my team. Everything else is on a slave.

Nibbles4Ever
10th November 2009, 1:48 AM
I always use hm slaves, unless my starter is water than I will teach it surf and if I use starapter I will teach it fly.

fireperson
2nd December 2009, 5:42 AM
I use HM moves on almost all my pokemon.Some are just great in battle,and some are just there...Not like i need all the move slots anyway

hello moto
2nd December 2009, 5:52 AM
I always use HM slaves, ususally Bibarel or Tropius.
So i only raise 4 pokemon instead of 6

Esmerry
2nd December 2009, 12:41 PM
In my Diamond and my Platinum game, I used Bibarel for HM's.
But my Lapras knows Surf, because that HM isn't bad, and my Swellow in Emerald knows Fly, because that one isn't bad either.

nkishadow
2nd December 2009, 2:04 PM
I usually have one HM slave and usually put HMs on my other pokemon

Abysmal Flames
2nd December 2009, 3:48 PM
HM Slaves! I use a Mixed Buizel for Surf and Waterfall. So he's actually not useless.

However, I use Tropius for Strength, Fly, Rock Smash, and Cut. I named her Utilitree. If the name could be longer, I'd name her Utilitree Belt

Sasarai
2nd December 2009, 4:12 PM
Only Surf, otherwise HM slaves

cookies kill you
2nd December 2009, 4:13 PM
my only slave is machop cause other than that like the rest of the moves come in handy

dragon user
2nd December 2009, 5:58 PM
i usually put HM's through my team, my floatzel knows surf and waterfall, my pigeotto knows fly my lucario knows rock climb and my infernape knows strength and rock smash, for cut and defog i have a bidoof -.- and a staravia in my PC

Prinplup
2nd December 2009, 6:11 PM
I dont know what to say..... I mean, my Giratina in Platinum was in my party, but it turned into a HM Slave! So, I'll answer both XD

An00bis
2nd December 2009, 6:46 PM
I don't like catching a lot of Pokemon until Post E4 so I usually give the very first TM (Cut or Rock Smash) to my Starter if they can learn it to save time. When we get to the Move Deleter they forget it in favor or something more useful and then I catch a HM Slave or two if I don't have one already.

Actually try to make it through a game without using HMs if possible. Like I try to avoid using Flash if I can. I didn't use Defog at all during my three Generation 4 playthroughs since it wasn't required to get where I needed to go. For my Platinum Scramble Challenge I won't use Fly. The Team needs the experience from walking.

ozzi
2nd December 2009, 6:56 PM
i sometimes used slaves but sometimes i caught pokemon who couldnt learn the HM i do both really diddnt use defog once cause i didnt know were to get it lol

zlxq3000
2nd December 2009, 7:47 PM
I pretty much always have a pokemon in my main team that knows Surf, since it's basically the most-used move when traversing the pokemon world. The rest of the HMs are taught to slaves (although Fly was taught to one of my main party members in Diamond...)

Divinaldes
2nd December 2009, 9:46 PM
I had a gyrados hm slave with waterfall surf stregth and rock smash and then just used crobat for fly and infernape for rock climb. I always have atleast 1 Hm slave per game

A7X_Slayer
4th December 2009, 2:58 AM
The only time had a HM slave was in Emerald and that was with my Mightyena

other than that i would never use my pokemon as HM slaves

charigod
5th December 2009, 1:20 AM
i use slaves

Shiny hunter Reece
5th December 2009, 10:53 AM
I use HM slaves most of the time. I do teach some HM's to my team pokemon, but only the strong HM's.

frozenthrone101
5th December 2009, 10:55 AM
My empoleon knows waterfall and surf , that comes in handy

Flamesword12
5th December 2009, 12:01 PM
I give HM to my party. I did "used" Buneary once. It isn't my party and learn cut.

Torpoleon
5th December 2009, 12:20 PM
I use HMs on my Pokémon team until I don't need the HM. I have a Piplup HM slave for Surf.

AbsolKnight66
5th December 2009, 12:45 PM
Well, I had it both ways. MY infernape had strength until i deleted it before the level of Flare Blitz. I also had Bibarel (nicknamed Dumbo) that was my SLAVE.

Giratina!
5th December 2009, 1:47 PM
With the exception of Surf and maybe Waterfall, they usually go to HM slaves assistants.

pikasaur
5th December 2009, 2:18 PM
i do both HM slaves and Give HM's to my party. i give surf, waterfall and sometimes fly to party members, but the rest go to pokemon i only bring out for HM's.

PsychedelicJellyfish
5th December 2009, 2:49 PM
Both. I use HM slaves when I need to but my Starmie, part of my main party, has Surf, because it's actually a good offensive move.

Zenotwapal
5th December 2009, 8:56 PM
I give my pokemon HMs.

I hate the idea of slaves.
it wastes a party space.

but:
i make a exception for HMs like Flash and Defog, since they are virtually useless in battle. i pull out a pokemon with that move when i need it.

Lugion
6th December 2009, 12:42 AM
Spread 'em around my team in-game. After the main story is over, I use HM slaves.

CyberneticGlion
6th December 2009, 3:18 AM
I used to give them to my own team, but then I found out that there are Pokemon out there that know enough HM's to where giving them to just my main team would be... not the best idea.

I do use surf on one of my main Pokemon, though.

Dan The Poke Man
6th December 2009, 3:20 AM
I use HM moves for the in-game thing but once I beat it I always go to the move deleter. And if I need it, I teach it and go to the deleter again :P

Radon
7th December 2009, 11:24 AM
I use HM slaves when I need moves like Cut, Waterfall, Rocksmash. Bibarel is great for a slave.

Work you ugly beaver! Work!

Nana
7th December 2009, 11:08 PM
I use HM slaves. :/ Sometimes I'll teach Surf and Fly to Pokemon on my roster, but I didn't do that in Platinum.

butterflywings
8th December 2009, 6:22 AM
bidoof fo lyf. i usually have a water pokemon with surf though and always a staravia with fly. bidoof just gets the boring stuff.

cg_25
8th December 2009, 3:09 PM
HM slaves were the best thing that ever happened to me:

I used 2 HM slaves in Platinum

Bibarel
Aerodactyl

I will probably just transfer these two to HG/SS
This way I can focus on building a strong team with good move-sets.

OR I will do this...

I give my pokemon HMs.

but:
i make a exception for HMs like Flash and Defog, since they are virtually useless in battle. i pull out a pokemon with that move when i need it.

Volteon
8th December 2009, 3:28 PM
Moving this to My DPPt games.

aaand answering. HMSlaves all the time :B

#Gecko#
11th December 2009, 2:35 AM
I use HM slaves. Aerodactyl and Bibarel do for me. Although I used to use Tropius.

Super Saiyan 3 Goku
11th December 2009, 6:43 AM
Normally, since Fly and Surf are pretty good in battle, my Charizard and Kyogre have Fly and Surf, respectively. So if I am going to stay in a specific area, like the Battleground, I take the Pokemon I am going to train with me, and pack the HM Slaves away in the PC. If I am going to go into the field and train, I just take Bibarel, because it has Rock Slide, Strength, and Rock Smash, just what I need in a cave.

I also use Staravia (In Pearl) and Skarmory (In Platinum) for Flying.

madelyn
23rd December 2009, 8:33 PM
At first I taught HM's to my party. When I arrived at Canalave City (move deleter), I began using HM slaves. :D

Champion Shirona
26th December 2009, 7:18 AM
Fly,WaterFall and Surf,they are teh best.
Rock Smash,Cut,don use them
Anyway,i use alot of Hm slaves.like the ground types who can use Surf,Cut,Strength,Rock Smash.Bibarel is okay.I never did it on Platinum.

Rokroad
26th December 2009, 12:17 PM
My HM'slaves are Tropius and Golduck

rocket4ever
26th December 2009, 6:35 PM
HM Slaves.. with the exception of Fly and Surf. I don't usually mind giving Fly or Surf to something on my team for in game. Waterfall is good too. When it comes to Strength, Cut, etc though I am used to having a 5 party "team" and 1 HM slave.

scarecrow_stitches
3rd January 2010, 6:30 AM
I keep all the HMs on my team, and I disperse them through different pokemon. However I do have a trusty Slaking who is an HM slave for my non-hm teams.

Bguy7
4th January 2010, 1:53 AM
I dont like the idea of HM slave on my team because they take up unessery spots on my team. I'd rather have six pokemon with 3 good moves then 4 pokemon with 4 good moves. what I do is teach HM's spread out through my team but I try not to do Defog becouse it is worthless in battle and possible to play without.

Harmony
4th January 2010, 8:08 PM
i use hms in my party, the only time i use an hm slave is for rock smash and rock climb but other than than i've been able to incorporate them nicely into my team

Giblie
5th January 2010, 12:53 AM
I only give two HMs at the most to two of my Pokemon team members. Surf and Fly. Any others go to an HM slave.

TheGuitahHeroe
5th January 2010, 1:27 AM
Only the weak HMs do I teach pokemon that are referred to as "HM Slaves." Moves like Cut and Whirlpool are not strong enough to use against strong opponents, and the stronger members of my party would most of the time be almost wasting a move when using them. I teach my stronger pokemon moves like Strength and Surf to wipe out opponents. As far as Fly goes, there are other more powerful flying-type moves out there, like Drill Peck and the sort. Plus, I hate using Fly when my pokemon is confused or has any other status condition. :/ Rock Climb isn't that bad but I hate its accuracy and its amount of PP.

~-Falcon-~
5th January 2010, 1:31 AM
i have HM Slaves.
Except for some of my pokemon that know some HMs that are useful.

like my starmie knows waterfall because its powerful

Vermehlo_Steele
5th January 2010, 2:56 AM
Apart from the usage of Surf, Waterfall, Fly and Strength I will revert to the methods of my Australian Colonial ancestors and use slavery. Yes how amoral of me to "enslave" pokemon Ihihihihihihihi!!!!

Lightey
9th January 2010, 11:58 PM
Usually just teach Surf, Fly, and Strength to my party, and then use an HM Slave for others.

Maru90
10th January 2010, 12:04 AM
Like everyone else, I use an HM slave but teach fly and surf to a pokemon on my team :/

TerraWolf
10th January 2010, 12:07 AM
surf waterfall and fly for the team

Rainbowdashtheawesome
10th January 2010, 12:38 AM
I always have a surfer and a flier in my regular team; the others I will just take out of the pc when I need them.
I usually get the water starter, so there's no problem finding a surfer, and I always find some other bruiser to use as my flier. For example, in one copy of Pt, my flier is Moltres and in the other copy I use a Salamence that I migrated from Emerald as a Bagon. It is actually the main pokemon I am currently trying to get to level 100. I just like the idea of getting eggmove pokemon to level 100, and because Salamence knows Hydro Pump, I'd say he qualifies.

SmartD
10th January 2010, 12:51 AM
I teach fly and surf to my pokemon and the rest to whatever when I'm playing through the main game.

muumajii23
10th January 2010, 1:16 AM
Yeah, I do a bit of a mix...

I use one poke, usually Bibarel xD, the crappy HMs, (Cut, Rock Smash, Rock Climb/Strength), and one of the water ones depending on my Water type on my team (the physical/special split is the determining factor). The rest are interspersed throughout my team. Only really pain in the *** one is DeFog... I hate that move. >_<

Absol trainer
10th January 2010, 12:34 PM
I always use this
HM slave=Defog, Rock Smash, Cut, Rock Climb, Strength, Whirlpool(HG/SS)
Normal Pokes=Fly, Surf, Waterfall

Just the strong and kinda usefull moves to the good pokes.

sitekickdude1432
10th January 2010, 4:26 PM
always used hm slaves no matter what. this is usualy due to the fact that i rarely raise pokemon when im still doing the main story. my uber powerful infernape usually does all the pwning for me :)

KGB13
15th January 2010, 7:10 AM
I usually don't give any pokemon in my main team HM's except for Fly, Strength, Surf, and Waterfall. I use a different pokemon for the rest, I don't like calling them HM Slaves.

Dilabio
15th January 2010, 7:17 AM
Slaves!
I bidoof Is normally my hm slave :p