PDA

View Full Version : Had any challenges breeding?

Glitcher
2nd November 2009, 4:48 PM
I never realized what a tricky process breeding can be until now. Some of us spend hours trying to breed shinies, while others try to get a Pokemon with high IV's. Or some people like me try to work out how to breed specific moves to Pokemon, only to learn the horror of egg groups...

I had already planned my next team when HGSS comes out, and I needed a Sneasel that knows X-Scissor. Since I had already spent my X-Scissor TM on my female Scizor and didn't have the patience to earn 64BP to buy a new one, I needed an alternative. None of my Pokemon that knew X-Scissor were breedable with Sneasel, but Sneasel is part of the same egg group as Smeargle, who can learn any move. This presented another problem: there are no wild Pokemon that know X-Scissor for my Smeargle to Sketch. I could theoretically have my Scizor use her X-Scissor on a wild Smeargle for it to copy, but that wouldn't be possible without killing it.

So after some searching, I found that the Pokemon that learns X-Scissor at the lowest level is Kricketune at lvl. 26, but only in Diamond and Pearl. (It's lvl. 30 in Platinum.) They can be caught at lvl. 27 in Platinum, so I transferred one of them to my Pearl game and had the Move Relearner make it remember X-Scissor. Now I stood a better chance on using Kricketune's X-Scissor on a wild lvl. 22 Smeargle without fatal results - but only just! Smeargle needed to have a fairly high HP and Defense IV to survive the hit. It also needed to be a male and have a low Speed IV so as not to outrun my Kricketune and waste its Sketch on the first move. Those are tricky variables, but I managed to catch one with some perseverance. It may have not been a shiny, but it felt just as rewarding. :D

Armed with my newly caught Smeargle, it was just a matter of breeding it with a female Sneasel to get an offspring that knows X-Scissor - and all without battling lenghtily for a TM. It's a beautiful baby girl. Any idea what I should call her? ;)

redphoenix
2nd November 2009, 4:58 PM
i think smeasel wud be quite quirky [ combination of her parents names].

Tiomasta
2nd November 2009, 5:56 PM
Holy crap man, you went through all that just for that TM. If I were you, I would just farm Palmer.

BTW, the title seems wrong.

I never really had trouble with that. I just bred for IVs and a egg move or two, neither was that troublesome.
Although it did take some time to get that Buizel with 31 Speed IV so I could evolve t and make him learn Crunch, so that I would have a good Lucario. I remember I did have to recharge my DS once before getting it.

Nightlingbolt
2nd November 2009, 6:06 PM
Actually, I would farm the Battle Factory.

KKInu
3rd November 2009, 6:43 AM
Yeah, I've had problems, but since I'm not a competitive breeder and don't breed for stats, and rarely breed for moves, my problems don't deal with that.

My problem is breeding females from species that are primarily male. I hatched quite a few Torchic eggs before finally getting a female, which I felt was ironic since I got two female Torchic without even trying from professor birch back in the R/S/E days (I gota female in sapphire and another in emerald), and lord knows how many Eevee I bred before finally getting a female, which was irritating since Eevee take forever to hatch.

wichu
3rd November 2009, 3:35 PM
You know you can Sketch your own move in a double battle, right? :P

foxyman1167
4th November 2009, 2:40 AM
The only thing I hate is when I get the right nature, but the wrong ability, or vice versa. That always seems to happen when I want to restart my Platinum and I'm trying to trade eggs over.

Glitcher
4th November 2009, 12:02 PM
You know you can Sketch your own move in a double battle, right? :P

Really? No, I did not know that. I thought that Sketch copies the last move used by your opponent.

WhyteMage
4th November 2009, 12:11 PM
In a double battle you can specifically target your other pokemon. This was useful when I was trying to get a Smeargle to sketch Wish. Which, incidentally was pretty annoying in itself.

First, I had to actually get a female Eevee. The game proved how cruel it could be here, and I was breeding for like, a week before I got one. Then I realised my Smeargle was the wrong gender. Catching spree looking for one with the right gender. Eventually succeeded. Then BAM, wishing Eevee. But because I didn't have one that was the right nature, I had to do it the slow way, without an everstone. I did eventually get my bold, wishing Vaporeon though.

Not too much of a challenge, although I didn't know about the double battle thing beforehand.

x-Vicinity.Of.Obscenity-x
4th November 2009, 8:27 PM
The only thing I hate is when I get the right nature, but the wrong ability, or vice versa. That always seems to happen when I want to restart my Platinum and I'm trying to trade eggs over.

I've had that problem quite a lot. The most recent problem I had was trying to breed a Jolly natured Pichu. It took me about 2 days because I'd get stupid natures like Timid or Docile.

Larry
5th November 2009, 11:39 PM
I really hate trying to get the right nature adn going up and down and up and down just to hatch it.

Too Funk to Druck
5th November 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm trying to breed an adamant Scyther. I have a mother in the day care with an adamant nature holding an Everstone, and still, I can't even get one. I have four boxes full of Scythers and not one has an adamant nature.

Tiomasta
6th November 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm trying to breed an adamant Scyther. I have a mother in the day care with an adamant nature holding an Everstone, and still, I can't even get one. I have four boxes full of Scythers and not one has an adamant nature.

You doing Masuda as well? Everstone trick won't work along the Masuda method.

Too Funk to Druck
6th November 2009, 12:03 AM
Wait, so if I'm breeding with a Japanese Scyther and a English Scyther the everstone thing won't work.

DDD:

An00bis
6th November 2009, 2:58 AM
You need to breed two Pokemon from the same Language to get the Everstone to work. Maybe now you can use one of the English Scyther's children to get the Adamant Nature you were looking for.

Hmm ... I do plenty of research before starting a breeding project. Even so I have a bunch of spare Pokemon that I don't want that I can't get rid of, either. They pile up faster then I can trade / release them, and for that I really wish we had more space on the cartridges rather then having to trade the spares to Ranch or whatnot.

BynineB
6th November 2009, 3:07 AM
Call her "Payoff".

Glitcher
6th November 2009, 4:14 AM
That sounds like a nickname for Meowth. :p