PDA

View Full Version : Do you think D/P/Pt are like the new R/B/Y?

Kaika
22nd November 2009, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs in the General pokemon discussion, but I thought I'd post it here:

Well, once the 4th generation came out, pokemon had a surge in popularity. Not only were some older fans going back but there were a LOT of newer fans as well. The anime became really popular again, the kids were playing the games and buying the merch again. It pretty much revived the series again after it has slowly dwindled in popularity as the original fans grew older (and out of the fad) and were no longer interested.

Not only this but like R/B/Y Jhoto is following this generation. Of course HGSS is a sequel to FR/LG, so it's a bit different but still.

I can't help but compare the 4th gen to the 1st gen, as now a lot of new fans will be growing up on it as their first series, and now Jhoto- what was originally the second gen coincidentally follows

So the only thing I can really picture are 10 years later a bunch of teenagers talking online about how the 4th gen was the best, how Team Galactic was the best evil team, how it was so awesome to only have 493 pokemon (I wonder if they will have 800+ pokemon by then?) and how Galactic Battle was the best season ever.

Ampy
22nd November 2009, 12:53 AM
It's mostly because of the success that the DS had. It has more to do with the system it's on IMO.

Kaika
22nd November 2009, 1:17 AM
I just noticed this was in a subforum, I thought it was just in the 4th gen forum, sorry.

Also it was released around the 10 anniversary, which is pretty good timing

Abysmal Flames
22nd November 2009, 2:08 AM
Didn't think of the anniversary idea. But here's another aspect to think about. The more pokemon that are released, the longer we wait for a new generation.

When RBY came out (151 pokemon), two years later we get GSC
GSC had 251 Pokemon. Three years later we get RSE.
RSE had 386? Pokemon. Four Years later we get DPPt

As more pokemon are unveiled, Nintendo gives us more time to soak them all up. All the remakes came about the time of their 10 year anniversary as well, which serves as fillers and build up hype again. But because the timespan at which new games are being released is growing larger, it's very easy for an aging fad to get revitalized again.

On another note, based on the trend above, we should be seeing another generation by 2012-13. By then, it will be the 10 year anniversary of RSE and the hype will start once again.

Alpha Gamer
22nd November 2009, 2:08 AM
I actually view D/P/Pt as the new GSC. The 2nd Gen brought a lot of new evo's to old pokemon just as the the 4th has and it implemented the day/night feature that was introduced in the 2nd and skipped by the 3rd. And just like GSC it added a few more fans to the pokemon bandwagon.

MetaPheonixPal
22nd November 2009, 4:00 AM
On another note, based on the trend above, we should be seeing another remake by 2012-13. By then, it will be the 10 year anniversary of RSE and the hype will start once again.
Fix'd

We won't be seeing another Gen around that time but another remake. Next gen shall start around late 2010-2011 then the year after that will be the third game (like Platinum, Crystal, Emerald, Yellow) Then a year after that we will get the Remake which fits in with 2012-2013

5wamp3rt
30th November 2009, 3:17 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs in the General pokemon discussion, but I thought I'd post it here:

Well, once the 4th generation came out, pokemon had a surge in popularity. Not only were some older fans going back but there were a LOT of newer fans as well. The anime became really popular again, the kids were playing the games and buying the merch again. It pretty much revived the series again after it has slowly dwindled in popularity as the original fans grew older (and out of the fad) and were no longer interested.

Not only this but like R/B/Y Jhoto is following this generation. Of course HGSS is a sequel to FR/LG, so it's a bit different but still.

I can't help but compare the 4th gen to the 1st gen, as now a lot of new fans will be growing up on it as their first series, and now Jhoto- what was originally the second gen coincidentally follows

So the only thing I can really picture are 10 years later a bunch of teenagers talking online about how the 4th gen was the best, how Team Galactic was the best evil team, how it was so awesome to only have 493 pokemon (I wonder if they will have 800+ pokemon by then?) and how Galactic Battle was the best season ever.

I hope that happens, that would be awesome.

On topic, another comparison. We have a pokemon god this generation, and they had the ancestor of all pokemon.

Nidogod
15th January 2010, 4:03 AM
After completing the full Pokedex I realized that without a serious change, another generation would make 'collecting 'm all!' almost impossible.

KGB13
15th January 2010, 7:02 AM
They remind me more of GSC than RBY.