PDA

View Full Version : The Cursed Battle Tower

SceptileFan
18th January 2010, 7:25 PM
In my Pokemon Platinum, I successfully beat Argenta and Darac in the Battle Frontier on the 1st or second tries (meaning I got to them and beat them on my 1st or second streak). However, I have yet to attempt the Battle Arcade of Factory (new game, haven't wanted to yet), but I have attempted to defeat Palmer SEVERAL times and have been forced to tears (sometimes) at the end of every streak.
Here's what I mean.
The very first time I attempted the Battle Tower, (with an Electivire, Torterra, and Floatzel all 3 sets), I got to Palmer with absolutely no trouble. Unfortunately, in the battle, I couldn't pull out the win, with his last Pokemon, 1/4 HP MIlotic, knocking out my last Pokemon, Floatzel, with a devastating Surf.
So as you can guess, I tried again.
BUt, the next time I lost in the 3rd round, 4th battle. Time after, 7th battle of 2nd round. 3rd time, 2nd Pokemon 2nd round.
I had a bit of a fit.
So, I totally revamped my team, now with Electivire, a Physical attacker Gyarados, and a Counter/FOcus Sash/DEstiny Bond Gengar.
I lost in the final battle of the 2nd Round.
So I tried again, but lost in the 2nd battle of the 3rd round. SO heartbroekn at this point, I hid my game in the upper shelf of my closet and promised never to play it again.
I know I won't keep that promise, but can somebody tell me, what the heck is going on with the battle tower? Do you share similar stories, and if you don't, how were you able to pull out victories? I think this would be a huge help to all of us non-Battle Tower savvy people.

Lord Scalgon
18th January 2010, 7:32 PM
All I can say, really, is welcome to the world of hax, where unpleasant and unexpected surprises await you.

For the record, there are people who are already haxed by Quick Claw OHKO-type Pokemon 3x in a row, thus ending their momentum.

Noctourniquet
18th January 2010, 11:37 PM
Yep. The rumours are true. The Battle Frontier really does want you dead. Here is a very narrow escape that I had once with my Team Triple S in the Battle Tower, while at the mercy of relentless Hax. Hax in bold.
• AI sends out Froslass, I send out Latias. I'm not worried because Latias will never fail to pass her Scarf. Besides, she is only 3HKO'd by Ice Beam. I trick, Lassy Beams. Done. I now go to Thunder Wave her, knowing that she can't KO me first. Oh how wrong I was. Critical hit time.
• Annoyed, but not worried, I bring in Lucario. Lassy beams again and guess what? Critical hit. I still have more than half of my HP left, though, so I'm doing ok. I sub up and start to CM. After the first few CMs, Lassy lands another Critical Hit. Bye bye Sub. Unfortunately, I CM again, ready to make another Sub.
• Lassy used Ice Beam! A Critical Hit! Lucario was too weak to make a Substitute! Yeah. Another one. At this point, I have 44 HP which is annoying because I need 45 to make a Sub. Leftovers kicks in, and gives me 55 HP though, so I'm ok. Or I would be. But I know that after Lassy Ice Beams, I will be too weak to sub again. So I CM, knowing that this will let me take another 2 or 3 hits from her.
• She Ice Beams (No crit this time) and I CM. IIRC, I have 27 HP left. I could attack her now, but I know that I can stay in a bit longer. I CM again. Or, at least, I try to, but this happens. Froslass used Ice Beam! Lucario was Frozen Solid! Oh. I know that Lucario is dead now, and Swampy has a whole team to kill by itself. Annoyed, I bring it in.
• Froslass used Ice Beam! A Critical Hit! OMGZ. This can't be fair! ;_;. Fortunately, Swampert is still above Half health. I use Curse, then do it again. And guess what happened? Yep! Froslass used Ice Beam! A Critical Hit! I now know that I am dead. I have only 12 HP left, and I have no way to stop Lassy from Beaming me again. In a last, impossible attempt to survive, I try to use Rest. But I already know I'm dead. And then...
• Froslass used Struggle! *Swampert loses 11 HP*. Swampert used Rest! OMGWIN. I rest up, wake up, and use the rest of Lassy's pathetic little life to Curse up. Once Lassy dies, Jolteon comes in. Yay. It feels the need to use Agility while I destroy it with a Waterfall.
• AI sent out Walrein! *Oh Sh-!* As you know, the AI has an OHKO fetish. I beg that this isn't the end and use Return. And...
• Walrien used Aqua Tail! A Critical Hit! *I hate you.* Fortunately, I survive and Return ftw! :D
If you want to understand my team better, then click its banner in my Sig. IIRC, this was on Battle 57.

misha
19th January 2010, 1:04 AM
that happened to me i just started a new game and now i beat the entire battle frontier

T.W.I.
19th January 2010, 6:34 AM
The Tower is SERIOUS hax major. All the other facilities are not that bad. Arcade, imo is the easiest. Factory is the haxest compared tho...I have yet to get a gold in that (got gold everywhere else)

Noctourniquet
19th January 2010, 6:29 PM
that happened to me i just started a new game and now i beat the entire battle frontier

That makes no sense. Are you sure you weren't just using a better team? Restarting does not reduce Hax.

SceptileFan
20th January 2010, 1:46 AM
So should I just give up? Or keep trying in the tower? Or try the other facilities (Arcade and Factory)?

Btw, why is it called "hax"?

PkMnPwNs1991
20th January 2010, 3:10 AM
"hax" is a derivative of "hacks;" when unlikely things happen repetitively, people relate it to when hackers change the game to make it more likely to happen than it should.

Noctourniquet
20th January 2010, 7:25 AM
So should I just give up? Or keep trying in the tower? Or try the other facilities (Arcade and Factory)?

Btw, why is it called "hax"?

Don't give up. You must aim to beat the AI's relentless Hax. I get my fair share of it, as you can see from the warstory, and I never gave up.

TR4eva
20th January 2010, 6:10 PM
I haven't won against ANY Frontier Brain at the moment!!! I've battled 3 and need to meet the other 2. Do we get to battle them more than once because I REALLY want to win! I only had one more Pokemon to beat for each of them and when they were down to a sliver of HP they used a strong, fast attack and KO-d my Pokemon! I am cursed for that because that has happened for all 3 Frontier Brains that I have battled.

Noctourniquet
20th January 2010, 6:18 PM
^ Yes, you can battle them any number of times. Everyone is Cursed in the BF. You need a strong team, and you need to use it well.

TR4eva
20th January 2010, 6:47 PM
Thank you! I have been trying again to challenge them but I'm not good enough so I need to train more and vary the types of my team's moves. :)

Noctourniquet
20th January 2010, 6:49 PM
^ Make sure you use EVs well, too. You will have no chance if you don't allocate your EVs correctly.

TR4eva
20th January 2010, 6:55 PM
ok then, I WILL win because I refuse to give up!!! I like the Battle Arcade the best so I will pratice there first and maybe battle Dahlia again.

Noctourniquet
20th January 2010, 6:58 PM
^ IMO, the battle Arcade is too quirky to practise in. You will become dependant on the extra effects, and it won't help you use items effectively. There is nowhere like the Battle Tower to learn how to battle against much stronger opponents without any twists.

SceptileFan
21st January 2010, 3:25 AM
The Tower is SERIOUS hax major. All the other facilities are not that bad. Arcade, imo is the easiest. Factory is the haxest compared tho...I have yet to get a gold in that (got gold everywhere else)

You are so right about the Arcade. I just beat Dahlia without losing a single Pokemon.

MizuJosh
21st January 2010, 3:34 AM
Apparently I fail even in Diamond because the Tower kicks my butt after 29 battles. I always lose to a Blissey.

Maybe bringing my own Blissey into my team will give me a better survival chance...

Swampert_trainer
21st January 2010, 4:23 AM
The battle tower has always been a very frustrating battle facility. Losing after getting so close to victory is always frustrating, but its even more frustrating when you have to beat 21 trainers in a row and losing makes you start from the beginning.

I have no advice since I've never been able to defeat Palmer.

TR4eva
21st January 2010, 4:37 PM
^^^^ well, in the Battle Arcade I don't use the extra effects so I try and choose no event coz I'm boring, lol. But, that's a good point

DarthVader
23rd January 2010, 2:41 AM
You can't just EV train; you need to have good IVs as well. This is the main reason why I'm kind of not participating in the BF until HGSS.

Noctourniquet
23rd January 2010, 7:23 AM
^ This is right, actually. You can't make an effective EV Spread without the right IVs to back it up. HGSS will make IV Breeding so much easier...

girazard
24th January 2010, 3:22 AM
You can't just EV train; you need to have good IVs as well. This is the main reason why I'm kind of not participating in the BF until HGSS.

For the Gold Symbol, I totally agree with this, but hard-core trained Pokemon aren't really needed much for the Silver. This is because Palmer is completely useless. On Diamond, my Sceptile used Leaf Storm on Milotic and he sent out...Rhyperior. On Platinum my Glaceon Ice Beamed Dragonite and he sent out...Rhyperior again. The Tower's Silver Symbol is quite easy; all you really need is:

-a powerful, fast-ish Pokemon that can take a Surf or Ice Beam and can
2HKO Milotic. A Chesto/Lum would be good in case he uses Hypnosis. Sceptile, Starmie and Jolteon are good choices.

-anything that can OHKO Rhyperior. A Focus Sash will be a nice safeguard for you if he hangs on with Focus Band. Sceptile and Starmie are good choices again. Also, Sceptile's Leaf Storm will still OHKO Rhyperior on its second use.

-An Ice Beamer for Draggy (e.g. Scarfed Glaceon), or Steelix/Metagross, since they will take its all-Physical set with ease. If you play Platinum, Steelix is immune to Thunderwave, or use Lum Berry if it wasn't used on Milotic.

DarthVader
24th January 2010, 4:09 AM
I have an EV, but not IV, trained team I copied from Smogon and I've beaten Palmer's first team lots of times. What I meant was that without IVs you can't get the 100 win streak or even up to Palmer's second team.

Noctourniquet
24th January 2010, 12:47 PM
^ Well, with decent IVs you could beat Palmer's team with little difficulty. But, you would have to change your EVs. When making spreads, most people just assume 31 IVs across the board.

TR4eva
25th January 2010, 5:38 PM
I BEAT DAHLIA AT THE ARCADE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!! YAY!
Yeah, I'm happy. Here's what happened:
Dahlia sent out Dusknoir and I sent out Cresselia
Cresselia used Aurora Beam HP down 1/5th
Dusknoir used Trick Room
Withdrew Cresselia, sent out Heatran
Heatran used Overheat HP down 1 sliver left
Dusknoir used Shadow Sneak HP down 1/6th
Heatran used Flamethrower HP 0
Dahlia sent out Medicham
Medicham used Psywave HP down 1/8th
Trick Room wore off
Heatran used Flamethrower HP 1/2
Medicham used Confuse Ray
Heatran used Flamethrower HP 0
Dahlia sent out Ludicolo
Withdrew Heatran, sent out Zapdos
Zapdos used Thunderbolt HP 0
ME WON!!!

Noctourniquet
25th January 2010, 7:02 PM
^ Wow, you got some serious luck there. For me, Dahlia would have got at least 3 crits in that time and I would have hurt myself from Confusion at least twice.

SceptileFan
26th January 2010, 2:23 AM
Dahlia was extremely simple for me. My Staraptor took out all her Pokemon.

Vaporeon4evr
26th January 2010, 4:41 AM
Here's (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=427036) something that may help you out, OP.

TR4eva
26th January 2010, 5:19 PM
She was annoying but, when I was abttling her I thought that if I used varied type moves on a different type Pokemon it would work... and it did!

TR4eva
16th February 2010, 1:21 PM
I beat Palmer!!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! WAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOO! Here's how:
Palmer sent out out Rhyperior and I sent out Heatran
Heatran used Flamethrower HP down 1/2 with burn
Rhyperior hurt by burn and used Earthquake HP 0!!!
Sent out Cresselia and used Aurora Beam HP 0
Palmer sent out Dragonite
Cresselia used Aurora Beam HP down 1/3
Dragonite used Dragon Claw HP down 1/5
Cresselia used Aurora Beam HP down another 1/3- just over
Dragonite used Dragondance
Cresselia used Aurora Beam HP 0
Palmer sent out Milotic and a quick Ice Beam Cresselia HP 0!!!
Sent out Zapdos and Milotic used Ice Beam HP down 1/3
Zapdos used Thunderbolt HP down just over 1/2
Recovered HP with Shell Bell (Just over half HP remaining) and used Ice Beam HP down 1/3
Zapdos used Thunderbolt HP 0!!!

I only just won with 1/3 HP left on my last Pokemon! I thought that Milotic would have a sliver left but with a little faith Zapdos pulled off a Super Effective and strong Thuunderbolt which won it!!! I'm HAPPY!!!

jabs4
16th February 2010, 4:05 PM
Dahila the first time through is pretty easy. I had a Gengar sweep, untouched.

Repost of one of my Battle Tower horror stories:

I had a battle where a Hippowdon hit three consecutive Fissures fainting my team. Also to help matters, it was holding Quick Claw and got first attack twice. I know. I couldn't believe it either. I was on quite a roll too. What a shame. :-(

Kotone
16th February 2010, 4:38 PM
My friend was on a very high roll and a rhyperior came up and did 6 criticals in a row to make him lose.

Camara
20th February 2010, 1:56 PM
Once I was killed by a 3xQuick Claw Rhyperior's Horn Drill. That's the most haxed I was.

Palmer is defeated just with a Lum Berry Modest 252 SpA 252 HP Agility/Grass Knot/Surf/Ice Beam Empoleon.
If Rhyperior appears first it is easily OHKOd by Surf, if Dragonite appears first I set up Agility and Ice Beam it, if it is Milotic I have Grass Knot to 2HKO it and Lum Berry helps with the first Hypnosis, but eventually she can put me to sleep as I want to set up Agility to Dragonite, anyway she can't hurt me much while I'm sleeping.

I defeated second Palmer just once, with Garchomp, Breloom and Bronzong.

Regigigas appears, I send Jolly Breloom. Spore + Focus Punch. He sends Heatran, I Spore but it misses, due to Brightpowder, he kills me. I send Garchomp for a easy OHKO with Earthquake. He sends Cresselia, I Outrage, taking away lots of HP, and she OHKO me with Ice Beam. I sent Bronzong, use Hypnosis, then some Calm Minds, and Flash Cannons. I defeated her but it was close, as she Calm Minded too.

I learned that Bronzong needed a recovery move, so I trained another Rest/Sleep Talk one.

The main problem is the post-first-Palmer trainers. They hax so much.

Beebar234
12th June 2010, 9:29 PM
Battle #100.
Team: Electivire, Porygon-Z, Garchomp
Foe: Mamoswine, Weavile, ???
Electivire hits with Fire Punch, it misses, Mamoswine destroys Electivire with Earthquake.
Garchomp out. One hit KO with Dragon Rush.
Weavile out. Knocks out Hasty, EV 32 for speed Garchomp before it could do anything.
Porygon-Z out. Killed by Brick Break before it can do anything.
That was one of the most devestating moments in my gaming history. I didn't play Platinum for a month.