PDA

View Full Version : My Ruby Team

Dragon_Reborn
21st February 2010, 2:30 PM
Hello,this is my current ruby competitive team that I am thinking of using to link up against friends and possibly online battle with.My team is based on the "standard balance"team.Please feel free to suggest new pokemon,movesets and even add some criticism.Thanks in advance.

Lead
Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
Nature:Adamant
EV's:68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
-Hidden Power[Rock](I'm working on Hidden Power[Flying])
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Taunt
Taunt is the main reason I am using Gyarados as a lead pokemon.I will use Taunt to shut down set up pokemon like Skarmory from laying down Spikes and also shuts down Blissey well.Dragon Dance is obvious here as it will increase the speed and attack.For the time being,I am using Hidden Power[Rock]till I can Hidden Power[Flying].Hidden Power[Rock]isn't bad as it can be used to deal with one of the most common Gyarados counters,Zapdos.Also,Hidden Power[Rock]damages Skarmory and Aerodactyl fairly well too.Earthquake will allow Gyarados to hit anything no flying or ghost type effectively.

Physical Sweeper
Salamence@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate
EV's:116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
-Hidden Power[Flying]
-Dragon Dance
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
Dragon Dance is a must as it makes Salamence a more effective physical sweeper.Earthquake will hit anything not flying or ghost effectively.Rock Slide will help against common fliers like Zapdos and Aerodactyl.Hidden Power[Flying]will be used on things like Heracross and Medicham.

Physical Wall/Spiker
Skarmory@Leftovers
Ability:Keen Eye
Nature:Impish
EV's:252 HP / 60 Atk / 184 Def / 12 Spe
-Drill Peck
-Spikes
-Rest
-Roar
First,I would lay down 3 layers of Spikes asap to start effecting switch ins.Roar will be used to help support Spikes in becoming effective and helps screw up any baton passer that may come into play.Rest is obvious to keep Skarmory walling longer.

Special Sweeper/Rapid Spinner
Starmie@Leftovers
Ability:Natural Cure
Nature:Timid
EV's:240 HP / 240 SpA / 28 Spe
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
Rapid Spin is a must to get rid of Spikes asap.Thunderbolt allows you to come in on other water pokemon without a problem such as Gyarados or Milotic.A STAB Surf helps deal with Tyranitar and Houndoom that may be packing a dark type move such as Crunch or Pursuit/Faint Attack.Recover is obvious as it keeps my Starmie sweeping longer.

Special Wall
Blissey@Leftovers
Ability:Natural Cure
Nature:Bold
EV's:204 HP / 252 Def / 52 SpA
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy
Thunder Wave is a must to spread paralysis and to slow down any physical sweeper that may come in on Blissey.Softboiled will be used when my Blissey is low.Aromatherpy when my team is all status up.Seismic Toss is amazing as it does continuous damage each turn which really helps Blissey out.

Mixed Sweeper
Blaziken@Leftovers
Ability:Blaze
EV's:80 HP / 232 Atk / 196 Spe
-Sky Uppercut
-Swords Dance
-Rock Slide
-Fire Blast/Overheat
Blaziken is going to require alot of prediction due to its large amount of weakenesses.Sky Uppercut will be used against Blissey to shut her down.STAB Fire Blast/Overheat is for Skarmory.Predict Rock Slides and Swords Dance up when Salamence and Suicune(if they use)are down.

What do you think?

zZSlowbroZz
6th March 2010, 3:58 PM
I'd definitely run the overheat on the Blaziken if you have adamant and no SpA EVs. It looks like a Boltbeaming Starmie could cause some major problems. 4x on Salamence and Gyarados, and 2x on Blaziken and Skarmory, and 2x on Starmie but I don't know what your HP EVs will do to stop it. Also consider Ice Beam on Blissey as you will have a pretty long stall war with Dusclops or Gengar (considering they aren't running Focus Punch, which is pretty unlikely, but it happens sometimes.) Taunt on Gyarados is also questionable, I have seldom seen a Skarmory or Blissey lead, your main use would be disabling Ninjask, which is not used that often. Gyarados might benefit from another attacking move, you could set up early in the game with Draon Dance.

Decent team, few flaws.

Dragon_Reborn
7th March 2010, 3:35 AM
I'd definitely run the overheat on the Blaziken if you have adamant and no SpA EVs. It looks like a Boltbeaming Starmie could cause some major problems. 4x on Salamence and Gyarados, and 2x on Blaziken and Skarmory, and 2x on Starmie but I don't know what your HP EVs will do to stop it. Also consider Ice Beam on Blissey as you will have a pretty long stall war with Dusclops or Gengar (considering they aren't running Focus Punch, which is pretty unlikely, but it happens sometimes.) Taunt on Gyarados is also questionable, I have seldom seen a Skarmory or Blissey lead, your main use would be disabling Ninjask, which is not used that often. Gyarados might benefit from another attacking move, you could set up early in the game with Dragon Dance.

Decent team, few flaws.

Alright,I think I will give Overheat a try over Fire Blast.

Yeah,you have a valid point there with the major Starmie weakness.I think I should try and throw some kind of Starmie counter on my team.Any suggestions on a Starmie counter?

Yeah,I'll have to consider Ice Beam on Blissey.If I were to use Ice Beam on Blissey(if I can get),then what should I over it with?

I think Tauntarados is a pretty good lead pokemon as you can prevent baton passers with Taunt and immune to Spikes.I could also see Skarmory work as a lead pokemon due to Spikes to get that early start on setting down layers.

I'm a bit iffy about Blaziken as he has so many weaknesses and requires a lot of predictions.I mean Blaziken makes a great mixed sweeper/wall breaker with STAB Fire Blast/Overheat(Skarmory) and Sky Uppercut/Focus Punch(Blissey/Snorlax).I was thinking about maybe replacing Blaziken for Swampert(Cursepert).I don't think Sceptile would work all the great due Sceptile being a staller pokemon and my team being the "standard balance"style team.Swampert will add a nice immunity to electric attacks to my team,but that will add another water type to my team(total of 3 which is not good).For some reason I like to keep one of the starter pokemon in my team for some odd reason.

Kenny Pkmn Trainer
8th March 2010, 4:49 PM
good team only the gyrados be careful with electric attacks which will hit 4x hard on it

[Kingdra]
9th March 2010, 12:46 AM
^Most useless comment. ever.

Anyhoo. Cursepert is pretty amazing. Still doesn't completely fix your Starmie problem. Ice Beam would replace Thunder Wave on Blissmeister. If you insist that anyway one would ever lead with a Skarmory than you can keep Taunt, although your sweeping power would definitely be diminished. Gyarados is your main set-up poke and if you put taunt on there your type coveraged would be horrendous. The best Starmie counter is a faster Starmie?

Dragon_Reborn
10th March 2010, 4:03 PM
Anyhoo. Cursepert is pretty amazing. Still doesn't completely fix your Starmie problem.
Swampert doesn't really stop Starmie completely,but he is at least immune to its Thunderbolt.I don't think Starmie would take too kindly to a STAB Eartquake either.

The only reason I brought Cursepert up was a possible replacement of Blaziken due to its large amounts of weaknesses.That and I like to keep one of the beginning pokemon starters in my team for some odd reason.

Ice Beam would replace Thunder Wave on Blissmeister.
I guess Ice Beam would work on Blissey,but Thunder Wave could be useful to paralyze incoming physical sweepers.

If you insist that anyway one would ever lead with a Skarmory than you can keep Taunt, although your sweeping power would definitely be diminished. Gyarados is your main set-up poke and if you put taunt on there your type coveraged would be horrendous.
I only really chose Gyarados,because of being able to learn Taunt.I was going to use Taunt to shut down baton passer's,spikers,and Phazers(late game when DD up).The only downfall I find of Gyarados is he is weak to some of the common leads that people may use such as BP Jolteon(STAB Thunderbolt),Aerodactyl(STAB Rock Slide),Zapdos(STAB Thunderbolt),Salamence(Rock Slide),etc.

I've been thinking of a possible replacement for Gyarados as a lead pokemon due to its common lead weaknesses.What about a Gengar?Gengar could make a great sleeper lead pokemon with Hypnosis.Gengar is immune to spikes thanks to levitate and also immune to Rapid Spin which helps your spikes out.If Gengar is the better choice,then here is the moveset I have planned.

Gengar@Leftovers
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Timid
EV's:168 SpA / 184 Spe / 156 SpD?
-Thunderbolt
-Hypnosis
-Ice Punch
-Density Bond/Explosion

The best Starmie counter is a faster Starmie?
A Zapdos could easy take out a Starmie with STAB Thunderbolt,if it survives a hit from Thunderbolt/Ice Beam.