PDA

View Full Version : What is your strategy to capture roaming Pkmn?

Cerex
3rd April 2010, 12:47 AM
It is a straight forward question: What's your strategy to capture the roaming Pokemon in the game? Do you have a strategy or do you just go after them if you happen to bump into them.

In Pt I used a Mismagius that had Mean Look and Thunder Wave to weaken the legendary birders.

I'm only now going have the legendary beasts in HG and my strategy is to use a high level Pkmn with False Swipe to bring them down--I mistakenly paralyzed them earlier in the game, after realizing it would have been better to put them to sleep--and then I'm planning to just corner them with a Cradily that knows block to keep them from feeling, since Roar won't have any impact.

Do you have a really simple way that you capture them--aside from Master Balls?

Bguy7
3rd April 2010, 1:14 AM
1)I fly to a town with routes on 4 sides
2)check the map
3)if not there fly to same town
4)if there find them and attack with fast pokemon
5)repeat process till they are at red health
6)throw ultra/quick balls till caught

I have cought the legendary birds, mespirit, and cressala like this.

K1B2
4th April 2010, 4:06 AM
For Platinum I got a Ralts with eggmove Mean Look, raised it to level 40 something to learn Hypnoseis (did I spell that wrong?), then evolved it into a Gallade so it could learn False Swipe and Skill Swap. It took a while, but that move set has helped me catch every Platinum legendary but Moltres and Zapdos, I`m still working on those.

I have no idea how to catch the legendaries in HG/SS though. The only game I have from that set is the Crystal version for gameboy color. :D

fireice
6th April 2010, 1:50 AM
It is a straight forward question: What's your strategy to capture the roaming Pokemon in the game? Do you have a strategy or do you just go after them if you happen to bump into them.

In Pt I used a Mismagius that had Mean Look and Thunder Wave to weaken the legendary birders.

I'm only now going have the legendary beasts in HG and my strategy is to use a high level Pkmn with False Swipe to bring them down--I mistakenly paralyzed them earlier in the game, after realizing it would have been better to put them to sleep--and then I'm planning to just corner them with a Cradily that knows block to keep them from feeling, since Roar won't have any impact.

Do you have a really simple way that you capture them--aside from Master Balls?

Doesn't work I am afraid. I am in same predicament. I have a entei that is paralyzed and down to extreme red zone I use block after about 3 balls are thrown it roars and the battle ends.

Its so frustrating.

I am considering killing it and battling elite 4 again so it respawns so I can maybe put a sleep move on it instead of paralysis.

slowdude
6th April 2010, 1:59 AM
Toss a masterball

FEEPtheFlareon
6th April 2010, 2:38 AM
Be lucky enough to have something with "Mean Look" first in your team.

fireice
6th April 2010, 2:59 AM
or digetts ability Arena Trap works also

FEEPtheFlareon
6th April 2010, 5:52 PM
or digetts ability Arena Trap works also

True. I forgot about that.;136;

Witchan
6th April 2010, 6:05 PM
Using status such as Sleep or Palaryzed in order to catch it more easy.

phantom.champion
6th April 2010, 6:25 PM
i have a lvl 60 ariados with spiderweb and eggmove batton pass, I'm planning on ev train it for speed and attack cuz ariados is just to dmn slow to catch roaming pkm (platinum) and i was planing to do something rather simple : spiderweb to keep them from going away and then batton pass to have a scizor use false swipe... but seen what K1B2 is doing with the eggmove ralts ill probably try out the same

Larris
6th April 2010, 7:32 PM
when i'm after a roaming pokémon i do like most others. in platinum i used my gengar with mean look, then hypnosis and dreameater to weaken it. then it's just throw ball after ball :)

Dragonite19
6th April 2010, 11:09 PM
1.Find which roamer I need to get
2.Walk between two routes until the roamer is in the route I'm in
3.Walk into the grass, throw a quick ball at the roamer
4.If it breaks free, I repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary.

WishIhadaManafi5
6th April 2010, 11:12 PM
1) I weakened them as best as I could with underleveled Pokémon
2) paralyzed them and continued to chase them until I caught them

It took a lot of time and patience -- but in the end, it worked :)

Neurotic Nuckelavee
19th April 2010, 7:20 PM
For the Platinum runners I used a Crobat with mean look to keep them from running away, I'll usually also paralyze them with whatever pokemon I have and then let them run away. I usually go back and forth between the starting town and the first route till they are in the same place as me, this strategy has always worked very well for me to be able to find them quickly.

Since the legendary runners in HG/SS have Roar I first used a False Swiping Scizor to get them down two 1 HP then on the second encounter with them I paralyzed them, then on the third encounter I just chuck a Quick Ball. Repeate when necessary. After getting them paralyzed and down to 1HP I caught Raikou after 3 Quick Balls (or 3 Encounters) and caught Entai after 5 Quick Balls (5 Encounters) Very quick and easy.

When possible I also like to utilize Wobbuffet's Shadow Tag ability to just keep the legendary in place.

Zesqio
19th April 2010, 8:53 PM
False Swipe + Paralysis + Lots of Quick balls

Willow's Tara
19th April 2010, 11:29 PM
Actually I really don't have one, I just chuck a ball when I see the roaming Pokemon (Usually I am not prepared for when they appear, mostly during training)

outkin
19th April 2010, 11:40 PM
Method 1
1. Lower roamer's health to 1

2. get a pokemon with a sleep attack find the 1hp roamer again, and make it fall asleep

3. every time i bump into it try to catch it

method 2

1. get The roamers health to 1

2. get a team full of pokemon with abillitys that make it so the pokemon cant run, along with revives and ultra balls

3. Find it and let the pokemon beat on mine while i try to catch it, reviving them if they faint

foxyman1167
22nd April 2010, 11:32 PM
Use a Masterball.

WynautQueen
24th April 2010, 4:33 PM
Eh. I find a pair of routes it's easy to run back and forth between (my chosen spot in D/P/P is near the Pokemon Mansion) and monitor my Poketch for when they come within range. Then I strike!

I always paralyze first, then hit them with Super Fang a couple times to make the weakening process go faster, but at a reliable pace. I usually don't bother with Mean Look; I'm patient.

Yoshifan22
24th April 2010, 5:31 PM
I use a smeargle with: spore, mean look, false swipe, recover
trap them. put them to sleep, bring em to 1 hp, and recover to heal. imo easiest way to capture em.

Moonlight_Murkrow96
9th May 2010, 3:01 AM
I use a Pokemon with Mean Look, bring down the Pokemon's HP to as low as I can get it, inflict it with paralysis or something if I can, and start chucking Poke Balls. I did that with Mespirit in Pearl, and I caught it with a Poke Ball.

tom_tom
9th May 2010, 6:30 AM
Use masterball