PDA

View Full Version : Real Person Shippings (=O?)

Whiscash
11th April 2010, 1:14 PM
**mod-approved, y'all~**

So, yeah, as the title suggests - ships involving real, actual, living or have-lived people. What's your take on them? Not sure how this could apply to Pokémon per se (you could ship...the voice actors? I don't know, I don't even know who they are now, TBH), but the alternative shippings forum seems pretty dead, so...here we are.

Obviously this is a somewhat controversial topic and the automatic response from many is EW NO WTF GROSS - and that's fine, different strokes, etc. But I know some fandoms have bigger portions of that fanbase than others, so any of them around here, just out of curiosity? Can be any fandom: ever read or even wrote fic, maybe art, or just thought about it?

Personally (lol cause everyone cares what I think, obviously~), I don't see anything wrong with shipping real people, as long as, like any other kind of shipping, you're reasonably sane about it. There's always going to be a few crazies going OMG X AND Y ARE TTLY IN LUV, but in general I think as long as we know it's all fiction, and obviously don't, like, actually talk about it to the people involved, there's no real harm involved.

Whether said people actually know about it is a different matter - if they do and they're cool with it is one thing, but there could be different ethical issues, maybe, if they don't know or if they do and have said that they don't like it? Just thought this could be an interesting topic, if...anyone's interested.

I'm thinking mostly of celebrities here of course - shipping people you actually know IRL is different, and personally that's a bit too creepy for me and I don't know if many people actually do that. But if anyone does, I suppose it's the same as long as you don't take it too seriously - and it's kind of similar to people who like matchmaking and stuff in a way, they're sort of shipping even if they don't know they're doing it.

...wow, that got tl;dr quickly. ^^; So, yeah, go forth - discuss, debate, pro, anti, neutral, whatever~ Obviously, follow SPPf rules, and whatever your thoughts, let's try not to flame or judge anyone, 'kay?

Yuppirox
13th April 2010, 9:28 AM
Hm, shipping real-life people? Seems pretty normal to me, so it's cool. I don't really ship any real-life people, but there are times when I see two people I know who obviously (or not) like each other, and think to myself, "Wow, they make a cute couple! I wouldn't mind seeing them get together..." I guess that counts..?

There are also the Sppf Member x Member ships. Those are fun, and there are tons of crack, canon, group, and friend ships that form. All the members are real-life, breathing humans, so, yeah. I'm also guilty of that. 8D; I'm not sure about celebrities and whatnot, though. I believe there are people out there who do such a thing, and nothing's wrong with it. Also seems normal.

Usually, relationships between two fictional characters and relationships between two non-fictional characters have barely to no differences at all. Characters in fiction ARE based on personalities and traits from people in real-life, so I don't see anything different or weird.

Or maybe, other people think differently than I do..? xD