PDA

View Full Version : The Unova Region

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Serebii
29th August 2010, 9:59 AM
Discuss the various aspects of the Isshu region. The many routes, the version changes, the massive cities and the large deserts.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/isshu.shtml

Ash-kid
29th August 2010, 10:01 AM
I really like the Isshu region, most of the cities are awesome. The region sometimes looks pretty small, but now after we saw the new map of the official sities I can say it's a great region.

koolhk
29th August 2010, 10:02 AM
Well it's my favourite region so far, there seems to be alot of forest areas,great cities and interesting places to look at. There also dosen't seem to be alot of water routes which I like^_^

I'm betting that abandoned factory will be where alot of ghost-type Pokemon are^_^

Lorde
29th August 2010, 10:20 AM
I really like the Isshu region, most of the cities are awesome. The region sometimes looks pretty small, but now after we saw the new map of the official sities I can say it's a great region.

Don't judge the region just yet. We can only see like three or four cities at the moment and random castles and temples everywhere else. A few cities isn't all Isshu has to offer.

I don't really know what to think of Isshu. The current map is obviously a beta map meant to keep everyone sane until the official map is revealed, but even so it looks pretty bland. A mixture of ice, rock, forest, and city which actually looked better in Sinnoh as opposed to Isshu. That's really my only "isshu" with Isshu though. I don't care about size. Size doesn't matter and shape doesn't either.

Zero Is Clearly Not Epic
29th August 2010, 10:50 AM

The map is not the final map, it's a beta map, like Kira said. Also there is an airport shown, and I doubt there is gonna be an airport with no planes ;)

7 tyranitars
29th August 2010, 11:31 AM
for what I have seen I like it a lot especialy the season changes

WeWereGiants
29th August 2010, 11:36 AM
It looks all over the place, similar to Kanto/Johto

Oshakpop
29th August 2010, 11:37 AM
I love Isshu.. though not exactly looking like alot of water routes. I love water routes, and Isshu seems to have few if any! But the reigon looks like their is alot more to exlore.

Roach
29th August 2010, 1:45 PM
Even if it is only a Beta Map it still looks all over the place. It just seems like Game Freak have thrown a bit of everything in without really organising it well.

Torpoleon
29th August 2010, 2:17 PM
The Isshu Region seems pretty cool. I like how it is farther away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn & Sinnoh. I also like the inclusion of seasonal changes & different towns/cities depending your game! I can't wait to see the final version of the Isshu Region Map!

Sabonea_Masukippa
29th August 2010, 2:24 PM
Even if it is only a Beta Map it still looks all over the place. It just seems like Game Freak have thrown a bit of everything in without really organising it well.

It looks a bit funky, but that's because we're not seeing every building in each town (yet). Some are quite detailed, like Hiun City, whereas Sekka City, near the wind mills, is reduced to nothing more than the Gym, which make the map we have now look dispropotiante.

In-game I'm sure it'll feel much more cohesive and complete. :)

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
29th August 2010, 2:49 PM
The map we have is NOT the beta map. It's the official map that they've given us. It seems that they won't use the design they've been doing since the 3rd generation.
The map is just showing the major points, when in reality, the in-game will be much bigger. :]

Rokroad
29th August 2010, 3:00 PM
I really like it, with the season changes and such.

I really wonder what there will be in Hiun City, that place is so big!

Sabonea_Masukippa
29th August 2010, 3:12 PM
The map we have is NOT the beta map. It's the official map that they've given us. It seems that they won't use the design they've been doing since the 3rd generation.
The map is just showing the major points, when in reality, the in-game will be much bigger. :]

You're right it's not the beta map. But it's likely not the final map we'll get of the region. Like in Gen 4 we had a "teaser" map of Sinnoh, which was fully unveiled in the Corocoro just prior to release.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
29th August 2010, 3:18 PM
You're right it's not the beta map. But it's likely not the final map we'll get of the region. Like in Gen 4 we had a "teaser" map of Sinnoh, which was fully unveiled in the Corocoro just prior to release.

That's right.

I really can't remember when we got the "full" art for Sinnoh. And I thought the "teaser" map was revealed a few months before release, not a month before? I'll go check the Archived News on the main site. :D

EDIT: We got the in-game map in July '06. I know for sure, the "teaser" art was reveiled before that date.

EDIT 2: We got the "teaser" map in June. I checked Bmgf. The thread was created in June. Possibly earlier.

Sabonea_Masukippa
29th August 2010, 3:38 PM
That's right.

I really can't remember when we got the "full" art for Sinnoh. And I thought the "teaser" map was revealed a few months before release, not a month before? I'll go check the Archived News on the main site. :D

EDIT: We got the in-game map in July '06. I know for sure, the "teaser" art was reveiled before that date.

EDIT 2: We got the "teaser" map in June. I checked Bmgf. The thread was created in June. Possibly earlier.

oh oops. Bad grammar. I meant we got the teaser map, which was then superseeded by the release of the full map in the corocoro just before release.

Grei
29th August 2010, 4:31 PM
I do not understand anyone who is griping about how small Isshu apparently is.

Seriously, think about it.

We have a huge expanse of land near your Home Town to travel through before you finally reach a bridge, which takes you to the extremely-large Hiun City. Above Hiun City is a large desert and above that a Carnival-esque area. Above that we have the High Link area and further cities above that. To the left we have a number of cities, a mountain, then more cities. In the northernmost areas, there are locations of interest. We know we'll be getting a revised map because there has to be some way to get to those locations, so we'll get more routes and possibly more locations of interest along the way. Furthermore, there is cloud cover, and knowing Game Freak, the clouds are hiding something that'll either be post-Elite Four or exclusive to the 3rd Installment.

Tell me that isn't big enough. The people who complain about how Isshu seems too small seriously need to calm down and think logically, because we obviously are not seeing everything in Isshu.

bioteddy
29th August 2010, 4:58 PM
From what i've seen, it seems that while the map itself is small, each individual city, town, and route will be huge to compensate. the screenshots of hiunn city made it seem like it in itself was large enough to be a full region, at least it my mind. I'd say it's a good idea if it is what they're going for. Get the detail in there, rather than cram three buildings into the relative location of a city in the area you're basing the map off of and call it a town.

Sakrey
29th August 2010, 5:31 PM
It looks a bit funky, but that's because we're not seeing every building in each town (yet). Some are quite detailed, like Hiun City, whereas Sekka City, near the wind mills, is reduced to nothing more than the Gym, which make the map we have now look dispropotiante.

In-game I'm sure it'll feel much more cohesive and complete. :)

I think that is why people complain about Isshu region; they only see a few buildings scattered through the whole land and think "That's all? There is too much greenery and moutains in this map to my taste."

And as a reply to them, I will say -like many other- that this map is not the true representation of the region of Isshu. It most likely shows only areas or buildings of interest (Like Gym, Musical Hall, High Link, abandoned factory and many many other things); look at Shippou City area: the map only show one unique building (which is the museum where you fight gym leader Aloe) along with the railway, I don't think that this will be the only building in Shippou City :)

Of course, on the other hand we've got big Huin City, but I believe they have over-detailed the city just to emphasize the fact that Huin City is like the crossroads [am I correct ? I search the word but I don't know if it is the right one in this context XD]of Isshu (many people, a HUGE port where many boats can drop anchor)

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
29th August 2010, 5:43 PM
I think that is why people complain about Isshu region; they only see a few buildings scattered through the whole land and think "That's all? There is too much greenery and moutains in this map to my taste."

And as a reply to them, I will say -like many other- that this map is not the true representation of the region of Isshu. It most likely shows only areas or buildings of interest (Like Gym, Musical Hall, High Link, abandoned factory and many many other things); look at Shippou City area: the map only show one unique building (which is the museum where you fight gym leader Aloe) along with the railway, I don't think that this will be the only building in Shippou City :)

Of course, on the other hand we've got big Huin City, but I believe they have over-detailed the city just to emphasize the fact that Huin City is like the crossroads [am I correct ? I search the word but I don't know if it is the right one in this context XD]of Isshu (many people, a HUGE port where many boats can drop anchor)

You're right, you could also say that Hiun City is the central hub. But either way works. :]

I can't wait till people play the games and realize how big Isshu is going to be and they'll be like "What? I thought Isshu was tiny!?!?"
:D

~-Overheat-~
29th August 2010, 6:15 PM
Isshu seems massive, but i'll really miss seeing some of the old pokemon. I never minded Golbat, he gave good EXP. Geodude and Graveler on the other hand were a pain in the ***, but i really want to other old pokemon. Especially Sinnoh pokemon outside their native region....

KanNKeller
29th August 2010, 6:31 PM
I love the variety it offers. All of the different habitats plus seasonal changes.... I can't wait to explore Isshu

UseYourImagination
29th August 2010, 7:00 PM
Some people have written that they expect the final map to be bigger than the pictures we've seen, but did anybody else notice that even in the new battle subway video you can see a map/directory in the station? There's nowhere new to be revealed with the exception of wherever the plane might go and maybe the Victini event if that's not the small island with the house on it.
On a side-note... I love how so many people complained about how ugly mijumaru was (I wasn't a fan myself) and now it's in countless signatures.

Grei
29th August 2010, 7:05 PM
No, I think people are just saying it's going to be more fleshed out than it is now. When people say, "The Isshu Region isn't all that big", I don't think they're referring to the size of the landmass, but rather "The Isshu Region doesn't seem to have much to do or explore".

Which, again, will change once we get the finalized map with all of the routes and stuff.

KGB13
29th August 2010, 7:27 PM
I'm liking the region so far, looks like there will be a lot of different places to explore.

I also like the addition of seasonal changes and that all the Gyms exterior designs are different.

ForteAnly
29th August 2010, 7:52 PM
I like the region because it has a lot to offer. It has bits and pieces of previous regions and expanded on them on more. I really love the season changes.

Samayowa
29th August 2010, 8:05 PM
Isshu looks promising! It looks diverse in terrain which is a wonderful thing!
I'm very excited to see what secrets and surprises lie within this region...just a few more weeks left!

FuzWuz
29th August 2010, 8:30 PM
The region looks really small, but I do not think that this is a beta map. I think that the region will be pretty big in the games. But on the map it just looks puny. I'm guessing that this is the final region map, and not a beta one.

drl
29th August 2010, 9:03 PM
Can someone tell me where is the sankyo city the place Aloe has her gym?

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
29th August 2010, 9:10 PM
Can someone tell me where is the sankyo city the place Aloe has her gym?

It's 3rd town after the starting town, right before Hiun City and Sky Arrow Bridge.

Grei
29th August 2010, 9:25 PM
The region looks really small, but I do not think that this is a beta map. I think that the region will be pretty big in the games. But on the map it just looks puny. I'm guessing that this is the final region map, and not a beta one.

Well, the one that Serebii posted was the one on the main site and really isn't the full map.

This is the full one (though probably not the final one).
http://www.famitsu.com/image/9375/JP894uVHP3m39iMaEaRC5U632tS8k5Qt.jpg
(If you couldn't tell, I got that image from Famitsu.)

If you Google "Huge Isshu Map", you'll get larger-resolution versions of it, like this. (http://i50.*******.com/2mg8ke9.png)

Serebii, is it possible this image could be posted in the Original Post instead of the one you linked to? (Or perhaps you could link to the larger version...?)

FuzWuz
29th August 2010, 9:36 PM
Well, the one that Serebii posted was the one on the main site and really isn't the full map.

This is the full one (though probably not the final one).
http://www.famitsu.com/image/9375/JP894uVHP3m39iMaEaRC5U632tS8k5Qt.jpg
(If you couldn't tell, I got that image from Famitsu.)

If you Google "Huge Isshu Map", you'll get larger-resolution versions of it, like this. (http://i50.*******.com/2mg8ke9.png)

Serebii, is it possible this image could be posted in the Original Post instead of the one you linked to? (Or perhaps you could link to the larger version...?)

Just go to Bulbapedia and go to the Isshu Region page. Click on the first picture at the right. Huge Isshu map.

But it still doesn't do the region any justice. Only buildings here and there. Even though I think that this is the final map... I wanted a fully detailed map like the Diamond and Pearl one.

drl
29th August 2010, 9:38 PM
It's 3rd town after the starting town, right before Hiun City and Sky Arrow Bridge.

Thanks!!!

I like the Isshu Region by just seing on the map but the fact there is few towns worries me.
And where the hell is the pokemon legue? I dont see it on the map.

Grei
29th August 2010, 9:38 PM
Just go to Bulbapedia and go to the Isshu Region page. Click on the first picture at the right. Huge Isshu map.

But it still doesn't do the region any justice. Only buildings here and there. Even though I think that this is the final map... I wanted a fully detailed map like the Diamond and Pearl one.

We probably will be getting a more detailed one. That's what we mean by "final version" of the Isshu map.

I mean, look at all of the places of interest in the North. There has to be some way to get to them, and it'll likely be routes. I'm positive we're getting more than this.

I do think that map really makes the Isshu region seem big, though.

Sakrey
29th August 2010, 9:41 PM
Be patient. Only 3 (even 2.5 weeks) weeks and we will get the full map of Isshu.

Cyaeron
30th August 2010, 1:42 AM
Thanks!!!

I like the Isshu Region by just seing on the map but the fact there is few towns worries me.
And where the hell is the pokemon legue? I dont see it on the map.

Don't worry, there are plenty of towns. My estimate based on the map is about 9 or 10, including Hiun City, which I think is perfect. Plus there are other cool areas like the carnival.
And as for the Pokemon league, I was wondering that myself. My guess is that it's the structure in the upper right of the map, built onto the side of the mountain. An ACTUAL plateau for the league!

On a separate note, there don't seem to be many water routes here, not with all the bridges. Will we finally see the end of the Surf HM? Honestly, I hope so. This region is supposed to be technologically more advanced than the others, so there should be opportunities for boat transportation (hence the harbor in Hiun City). Besides, there are bridges everywhere. And there's really no beach areas - notice that most of the land drops off in a cliff-like way to the water.

I have really high hopes for Isshu. ^^ Does anybody know where Black City/White Forest will be on the map?

DBK
30th August 2010, 1:53 AM
Don't worry, there are plenty of towns. My estimate based on the map is about 9 or 10, including Hiun City, which I think is perfect. Plus there are other cool areas like the carnival.
And as for the Pokemon league, I was wondering that myself. My guess is that it's the structure in the upper right of the map, built onto the side of the mountain. An ACTUAL plateau for the league!

On a separate note, there don't seem to be many water routes here, not with all the bridges. Will we finally see the end of the Surf HM? Honestly, I hope so. This region is supposed to be technologically more advanced than the others, so there should be opportunities for boat transportation (hence the harbor in Hiun City). Besides, there are bridges everywhere. And there's really no beach areas - notice that most of the land drops off in a cliff-like way to the water.

I have really high hopes for Isshu. ^^ Does anybody know where Black City/White Forest will be on the map?

I noticed that, too. I wonder, if it is available, how surf would be utilized? Maybe surfable areas within the caves?

edit: Here's the in-game map so you know what I am talking about:

http://www.psypokes.com/bw/images/isshumap.jpg

I also noticed that there are no routes to the central structure. Any I deas as to why (based on the in game map)?

Oh and to answer your question, B City/W Forest should be in the top left corner somewhere.

cranberries
30th August 2010, 2:02 AM
I noticed that, too. I wonder, if it is available, how surf would be utilized? Maybe surfable areas within the caves?

I also noticed that there are no routes to the central structure. Any I deas as to why (based on the in game map)?

Oh and to answer your question, B City/W Forest should be in the top left corner somewhere.

Isn't there bridges on the "Big Isshu Map" serbii gave us?

And when you say "top left corner," do you mean above the white "tower of Bable"?

DBK
30th August 2010, 2:13 AM
Isn't there bridges on the "Big Isshu Map" serbii gave us?

And when you say "top left corner," do you mean above the white "tower of Bable"?

Check the map I just posted. You'll see what I am talking about.

Grei
30th August 2010, 2:24 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not the in-game map. That's the High Link map, isn't it? High Link doesn't cover the entire region, only a small, Pokeball-shaped sector of it. (Something tells me you enter High Link by teleporting to the center section, where you then enter the whirlwind structure and teleport to a "blip" in the larger circle.)

I mean, look at the girl icon near the bottom-right area. That's the Wi-Fi avatar of the player that you choose (or perhaps the Wi-Fi avatar of another player you're doing a mission with?), why else would it be there?

The actual in-game map (probably called the "Town Map") will include the entire region, not just the innermost area.

Nibbles4Ever
30th August 2010, 2:41 AM
I like how detailed the cities are.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 2:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not the in-game map. That's the High Link map, isn't it? High Link doesn't cover the entire region, only a small, Pokeball-shaped sector of it. (Something tells me you enter High Link by teleporting to the center section, where you then enter the whirlwind structure and teleport to a "blip" in the larger circle.)

I mean, look at the girl icon near the bottom-right area. That's the Wi-Fi avatar of the player that you choose (or perhaps the Wi-Fi avatar of another player you're doing a mission with?), why else would it be there?

The actual in-game map (probably called the "Town Map") will include the entire region, not just the innermost area.

Wrong.

This is the High Link Area Map:

http://i38.*******.com/28a2ueu.png

The other is the Town Map.

Notice there's 2 caves; one on the right side of Raimon City (the fair) and the left side of the traditional/modern city.

Grei
30th August 2010, 2:44 AM
Wrong.

This is the High Link Area Map:

http://i38.*******.com/28a2ueu.png

The other is the Town Map.

Then what is up with the girl icon? Why is she there?

DBK
30th August 2010, 2:45 AM

Considering that all the areas (minus the center one) are covered and that all the information I could find about it doesn't link it to the High Link, I am pretty sure this is the in-game map. Most town maps have an icon of the player on it to show where that player is. Although I must admit that particular icon is a little weird.

I just noticed all the little green rings all over the map. Those areas may only be accessible via Fly or some other means other than the main routes. I think I just answered my own question. :)

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th August 2010, 2:47 AM

This isn't the High Link Map. That's this one: http://serebii.net/blackwhite/highlinkmap.png
High-Link is accesses through the centre Pokeball shaped area, but missions and other features can be participated in, in the diamond of cities to the north of Hiun City as seen the that image. The whirlwind structure is actually a tree.

The one you're talking about is being displayed as a function of the C-Gear. The black smiley face is the trainer. The female player icon is another player using C-Gear nearby, showing you where she is in game.

While this is, or is at least derived from, the in-game map, it may not be complete as the High-Link has no access routes to it and neither do some of the green dot point of interests.

Also, notice that the player icon is no where near the yellow "route" markers. As I have said about a dozen times even if the player is surfing on the edge of the land, it clearly shows that (at least in the desert area) you will not be confined to routes in the same way as we have been in previous games.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 2:51 AM
Then what is up with the girl icon? Why is she there?

As Sabonea_Masukippa said, the girl is an icon to show that another player is using the C-gear function.

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th August 2010, 2:57 AM
As Sabonea_Masukippa said, the girl is an icon to show that another player is using the High Link function.

Just for clarity (I'm not trying to be mean or anything) High-link =/= C-Gear=/= PGL/Dream World.

They're three seperate functions that all happen to use some sort of wireless connection.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 3:01 AM
Just for clarity (I'm not trying to be mean or anything) High-link =/= C-Gear=/= PGL/Dream World.

They're three seperate functions that all happen to use some sort of wireless connection.

Nah, I'm not offended.

Looks like I made a mistake, instead of High link, I meant C-gear.

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th August 2010, 3:13 AM
Nah, I'm not offended.

Looks like I made a mistake, instead of High link, I meant C-gear.

Don't worry - you're not the only one. Many people seem to be getting them confused since they all involve wireless connections.

I still think that the yellow lines on the Town Map (using for lack of a better word - C-Gear map sounds a little pedantic) do not represent the linear path that we might think they do. I think either these are the main routes and that "minor" routes will appear when the map is zoomed in. OR it could be that the region is less linear and that much of the map will be explorable and the yellow lines only mark a very simple and obvious route through the games as a guide.

Grei
30th August 2010, 3:29 AM
Isn't it still possible that the C-Gear map doesn't correspond completely with the Town Map? I thought C-Gear related to High Link's mission mode thing.

DBK
30th August 2010, 3:35 AM
Isn't it still possible that the C-Gear map doesn't correspond completely with the Town Map? I thought C-Gear related to High Link's mission mode thing.

THE C-GEAR

The C-Gear is a new feature within Pokémon Black & White. It sits upon the bottom screen in a similar manner to the Pokétch in Diamond & Pearl and provides a variety of features. You get it in-game after completing a task for Makomo.
Firstly, it is constantly looking for local Wireless, InfraRed and WiFi connections for you to meet with your friends. This feature can be turned off easily enough for those who do not wish to be on the constant lookout
Pass By Mode

While it's on the lookout, if you come near any other person who is playing the game with their C Gear on, you will automatically connect to them and get details on them. You'll get their trainer details on the screen and can also see in realtime how they are doing in battle. For example, if their Pokémon has low Hit Points, it will inform you of it.
Global Link

Within the C Gear, you also have the ability of syncing your game up to the Global Link. This feature will allow you to select a Pokémon to send to the Global Link and will allow you to receive Pokémon as well.

THE HIGH LINK

The High Link is a new feature within Pokémon Black & White which allows you to connect to your friends and walk around the various parts of Isshu. This feature is done over local wireless. This mode is not connectable via the Pokémon Centres but in a special area in Isshu. Here, when you're hosting the High Link, everything looks normal. However, when you're the one joining somebody else's High Link, you enter a version of Isshu that is in monochrome and appear as the multiplayer avatar of your game character.

In the High Link, you can walk around most areas and find your friend. You also get to find numerous support missions for you to complete to get prizes. You can team up with your friends to do these missions and other missions require you to face up against your friends.
It is currently unknown how many missions there are to be able to use or any other extra features brought in.

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th August 2010, 3:35 AM

Well, it's possible they don't completely correspond. However, it still doesn't explain why the hell the player is no where near a route on the map.

C-Gear is a part of the "pass-by" feature. You can do feeling check, battles, trades, and help other players nearby by giving them items using IR, loval connections etc and sits in the bottom screen of the DS. Makomo gives it to the player. It also allows the connection to the Global Link (the dream world etc).

High-Link is a timed mission based mini-game system which allows the player to enter another players game and collect "deru power" and is accessed via the centre island, which has a tree in the middle.

UseYourImagination
30th August 2010, 4:13 AM

I don't know how I missed pointing this out considering how many times I've seen that image, but one would be inclined to believe surf will be necessary if you look at the dot in the sea to the east. I don't see any land over there...

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 4:27 AM
I don't know how I missed pointing this out considering how many times I've seen that image, but one would be inclined to believe surf will be necessary if you look at the dot in the sea to the east. I don't see any land over there...

I think he/she meant a "visible" route.
There's also that water route that stops in the middle of the sea to the left of Kanoko Town (starting town).

I believe the dot in the sea is an island. Who knows, we'll see till the games come out. :D

Maybe a boat would be a way to access it? Or even less likely, the subway?

DBK
30th August 2010, 4:32 AM

I didn't see that area either. lol that answers that question. :)

Well, it's possible they don't completely correspond. However, it still doesn't explain why the hell the player is no where near a route on the map.

Looking closer at the map, there appears to be a black line connecting the player's icon (the black face) with the route under it, since that line is way darker than the border of that land. It could be that the player icon is treated like a pin on a map instead of the player's face like in previous generations. I also wonder if that icon is white in Pokemon White?

I think he/she meant a "visible" route.
There's also that water route that stops in the middle of the sea to the left of Kanoko Town (starting town).

If you look at the drawn map, there is an island down there with a structure on it. That's probably where that route goes.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 4:41 AM
If you look at the drawn map, there is an island down there with a structure on it. That's probably where that route goes.

I know, that's what I was talking about in the first part.

There's gotta be something important in that building on the island. Any ideas?

Maybe it's the PokeShifter place?
Pal Park was close to Twinleaf Town... But that's just dumb speculation.. XP

DBK
30th August 2010, 4:45 AM
I know, that's what I was talking about in the first part.

There's gotta be something important in that building on the island. Any ideas?

Maybe it's the PokeShifter place?
Pal Park was close to Twinleaf Town... But that's just dumb speculation.. XP

It looks similar to a mayan temple to me. Perhaps a side quest area for after the E4? Similar to that route that lead to shaymin (rte 26 I believe)?

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 5:00 AM
Maybe the map only details where the player has been so far? Because there are most likely more routes

Cerex
30th August 2010, 5:06 AM
This might already been public knowledge, I just want confirmation, but is the area in the center of the map that is shaped like a Pokeball where Black City and White Forest will be respective of the game version?

DBK
30th August 2010, 5:07 AM
Maybe the map only details where the player has been so far? Because there are most likely more routes

That's possible, but unlikely considering that one of those places is the E4. You would think that there would be at least one or two more outlying routes before reaching them.

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 5:11 AM
Oh, that's the high link! But I see how you got confuesed, it does seem like it could be, but it was confirmed as the high link. And I thought that, but there must be more routes! Maybe it is that zoom in things, it definatly seems likely and with many small routs, we might get more areas to explore!

DBK
30th August 2010, 5:23 AM
This might already been public knowledge, I just want confirmation, but is the area in the center of the map that is shaped like a Pokeball where Black City and White Forest will be respective of the game version?

It was discussed on the previous page and parts of the page your post is on. The center area is for the High Link, The W Forest and B City are in the upper left corner.

Shneak
30th August 2010, 5:29 AM
The island below Hiun City is where the Liberty Tower is, to catch Victini.

DBK
30th August 2010, 5:31 AM

Ah, so THAT'S the Liberty Tower. Interesting. Thanks for the correction.

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 5:36 AM
Does anyone one have an idea what the airport on the far left might have to do with the game? Just wondering, because it seems pretty interesting because we have never even seen airplanes in the pokemon world

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th August 2010, 5:48 AM
Does anyone one have an idea what the airport on the far left might have to do with the game? Just wondering, because it seems pretty interesting because we have never even seen airplanes in the pokemon world

Maebi we canz fly to Kantoz?

In other words, no we don't know what it does or what it is form. But, since it is on the map, which is only showing important stuff, it will presumably have some purpose in-game. Whether we actually get to fly in it to anywhere cool is anyone's guess.

EDIT: 19 days until we know all of this for sure. 19 days. 19 days. 19 days. 19 days.

Lorde
30th August 2010, 5:58 AM

Oh, are you serious? I thought that little lighthouse thing to the east of Hiun City was the Liberty Tower. I guess I was wrong. Hiun City might be the only location in all of Isshu I'm excited to explore. It looks so grand, like everything in the Isshu region revolves around it instead of the other way around. I love port cities in the games too, so Hiun's waterfront is like an added bonus :p

jono123
30th August 2010, 8:50 AM
http://local-static1.forum-files.fobby.net/forum_attachments/0022/8776/IsshuShangai.png

Found this on another forum. The map its being compared to is shanghai from the side. The similarities are defiantly there, certainly more likely than new york.

The Great Butler
30th August 2010, 8:59 AM
http://local-static1.forum-files.fobby.net/forum_attachments/0022/8776/IsshuShangai.png

Found this on another forum. The map its being compared to is shanghai from the side. The similarities are defiantly there, certainly more likely than new york.

There are similarities, definitely. But from what I've seen, Hiun City perfectly matches Lower Manhattan (especially the seaport areas, as well as the Liberty Garden Tower and its respective island, which I see no explanation for in Shanghai theories.) Also, if you look at the Isshu map shown in the Battle Subway preview, there is an offshoot of the right-side landmass that resembles a quarter of Long Island. Finally, the positioning of the Isshu Airport greatly resembles the relationship between Manhattan and the Airport in Newark, New Jersey, and the Sky Arrow Bridge is clearly the Manhattan Bridge.

Lorde
30th August 2010, 1:36 PM

Yeah both areas look similar when compared, but I don't think it means much necessarily. I just think Game Freak went with a generic design when they made Isshu and they probably used some references from big cities like Shanghai and New York City and a bunch of others just combined all the ideas. It would explain a lot like why Isshu looks like a jigsaw puzzle :S

rocky505
30th August 2010, 1:51 PM
I would rather wait until I play the games or at least see better evidence before I can actually decide on where Isshu is. I know there are some people saying that it is both Shanghai and New York but that seems far-fetched to me.

mitchman_93
30th August 2010, 1:52 PM

If you look at the map in the subway, yes you can tell that isn't the full map. all the routes are shown. Its blurry, but you can tell it branches off from there. And even in that map, the high link has no route paths.

Lorde
30th August 2010, 1:58 PM
I would rather wait until I play the games or at least see better evidence before I can actually decide on where Isshu is. I know there are some people saying that it is both Shanghai and New York but that seems far-fetched to me.

I agree, I guess we really won't know what real-world region Isshu is based off of until sometime after Pokemon Black and White are released. I mean, when Sinnoh was revealed, it was pretty obvious which real-world region it was based off of (Hokkaido) since that specific area's shape is unique in the world. However, the shape of Isshu is something different. It looks like it could be based off of several locations so in the end, we have some disagreements and arguments :p

EverChanger
30th August 2010, 2:06 PM
In relation to the in-game map, I believe that the map starts out showing the yellow dots and their connecting routes, with nothing to the green dots. I think you have to look for routes leading to the green dots and when you find them they appear on the map. Notice in the desert, a route leads to a green area, but no others have routes. In regards to the route west of your Kanoko Town, perhaps it has no western terminus. That's what I'm going on, but I could be totally wrong.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 2:24 PM
It was discussed on the previous page and parts of the page your post is on. The center area is for the High Link, The W Forest and B City are in the upper left corner.

The location of White Forest and Black City has not been confirmed. We don't know where it will be. We can assume it's located anywhere the clouds cover, but don't state it as fact, it could possibly not be on the map.

That is not confirmed as well. All we know is that it's on an island, not where the island is on the map.

DBK
30th August 2010, 6:55 PM
If you look at the map in the subway, yes you can tell that isn't the full map. all the routes are shown. Its blurry, but you can tell it branches off from there. And even in that map, the high link has no route paths.

It's still the official in-game map, which is what I was alluding to. :)

The location of White Forest and Black City has not been confirmed. We don't know where it will be. We can assume it's located anywhere the clouds cover, but don't state it as fact, it could possibly not be on the map.

I could have sworn that it was said somewhere that it was going to be in the top left of the map. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait for the game to come out to find it.

That is not confirmed as well. All we know is that it's on an island, not where the island is on the map.

It's on an island near Hiun City. That's the only island near it with a structure on it. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

In relation to the in-game map, I believe that the map starts out showing the yellow dots and their connecting routes, with nothing to the green dots. I think you have to look for routes leading to the green dots and when you find them they appear on the map. Notice in the desert, a route leads to a green area, but no others have routes. In regards to the route west of your Kanoko Town, perhaps it has no western terminus. That's what I'm going on, but I could be totally wrong.

That's what I am tending to believe, too.

Arceus, The Original One
30th August 2010, 7:14 PM
I'm not too sure of this region. I get a different vibe from it, compared to previous regions, it seems different, and different further points out it's further away from the previous regions. So far I think my favourite area is Hiun City, simply because of how big it is, and that now we have properly scaled skyscrapers.

V Faction
30th August 2010, 8:03 PM
I just wish they wouldn't change the style of map so much. The HGSS one took some getting used to and now they want to go with something more detailed in-game? It throws guys like me off our balance.

I'm not too sure of this region. I get a different vibe from it, compared to previous regions, it seems different, and different further points out it's further away from the previous regions. So far I think my favourite area is Hiun City, simply because of how big it is, and that now we have properly scaled skyscrapers.
Of course you should be getting a different vibe, it's a completely new region unlike the others that have come before it.

If you like Hiun City the most, then I think they did their jobs correctly. This is a region which purposely has a centralized hub of commerce and activity. If you try to picture all the important prior cities of past games, what comes to mind? Saffron City, Goldenrod City, Slateport City, and Hearthome City? Hiun City is those places x10, which was probably the design choice from Day 1. It even has the famous Sky Arrow Bridge connecting to it. It has tons of piers, suggesting that boats go in and out of ports all day long. It has hustle and bustle. Clearly their intention was to make Hiun City the focal point of interest for first-timers. Why do you think the first piece of artwork they released was of Hiun City?

Also, here's what I think that place in the lower righthand corner on the islands is:

http://i38.*******.com/206odjr.jpg

Shneak
30th August 2010, 8:06 PM
Holy ****. I just realized something.

Hiun City is New York City.

THE LIBERTY TOWER = STATUE OF LIBERTY

Plus some extra evidence, it just seeems so likely.

Pamizard
30th August 2010, 8:43 PM
I really hope there is more of isshu then wat we know so far.

I hope that airport has a role like flying you to other parts of isshu that wont be avialble till after you beat the game

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 9:54 PM
I agree, I guess we really won't know what real-world region Isshu is based off of until sometime after Pokemon Black and White are released. I mean, when Sinnoh was revealed, it was pretty obvious which real-world region it was based off of (Hokkaido) since that specific area's shape is unique in the world. However, the shape of Isshu is something different. It looks like it could be based off of several locations so in the end, we have some disagreements and arguments :p

I agree, but I really can't wait to know (I'm a geography nerd), so it's always fun to theorize, my theory is in my sig.

Lorde
30th August 2010, 10:10 PM

Oh come on now, everyone's been using that as a reason why Isshu has to be New York City-based but the argument only seems to work for Hiun City and nothing else. If Isshu was based off of New York then it would mean other locations in the region would have to be based on New York too, and so far I don't see any others.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 10:31 PM
Oh come on now, everyone's been using that as a reason why Isshu has to be New York City-based but the argument only seems to work for Hiun City and nothing else. If Isshu was based off of New York then it would mean other locations in the region would have to be based on New York too, and so far I don't see any others.

Then Isshu cannot be based on Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc. according to your logic.

The land form has ALWAYS been very close to the region it's based on. Isshu's land form looks very similar to NYC. That's my opinion. :D

But, Serebii or the Mods, is it possible to ban talks about what the region is be based on? People will be on other's throats constantly. Not very fun. :/

Lorde
30th August 2010, 10:40 PM
Then Isshu cannot be based on Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc. according to your logic.

The land form has ALWAYS been very close to the region it's based on. Isshu's land form looks very similar to NYC. That's my opinion. :D

That's just it though, it might not be based on Shanghai either haha. I don't think I'd source a similarity in land mass in Generation 5 just because the Generation seems to break all the boundaries and it's not consistent enough to produce a pattern at this point in time. Other than Isshu's origin, there's nothing really worth discussing except for speculation on what those other locations on the map are like that black and white castle or that airport. I think Isshu is pretty spread-out so maybe we'll have to resort to this sort of transportation to get around the region.

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 10:46 PM

I just realized! The island of manhatten has almost no trees! And there are almost no mountains! And there is no dessert! It seems so likely!
Sorry, just had to do that, but I agree that it COULD be new York city, but it could also be a lot of places, islands seperated by rivers on both sides have in general atrackted huge cities.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 10:56 PM
That's just it though, it might not be based on Shanghai either haha. I don't think I'd source a similarity in land mass in Generation 5 just because the Generation seems to break all the boundaries and it's not consistent enough to produce a pattern at this point in time. Other than Isshu's origin, there's nothing really worth discussing except for speculation on what those other locations on the map are like that black and white castle or that airport. I think Isshu is pretty spread-out so maybe we'll have to resort to this sort of transportation to get around the region.

There's nothing inconsistant between the past generations and this generation other than this region being far, FAR away from the past regions.
All previous regions have been based on something, so it's likely to be based on a well known region.

I just realized! The island of manhatten has almost no trees! And there are almost no mountains! And there is no dessert! It seems so likely!
Sorry, just had to do that, but I agree that it COULD be new York city, but it could also be a lot of places, islands seperated by rivers on both sides have in general atrackted huge cities.

Manhattan does have trees.

Oh, Kyushu (island that Hoenn is based on) doesn't have a desert. So your logic fails.

rocky505
30th August 2010, 11:15 PM
Also, here's what I think that place in the lower righthand corner on the islands is:

http://i38.*******.com/206odjr.jpg Hopefully a perverted old man does not live there.

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 11:15 PM
There's nothing inconsistant between the past generations and this generation other than this region being far, FAR away from the past regions.
All previous regions have been based on something, so it's likely to be based on a well known region.

Manhattan does have trees.

Oh, Kyushu (island that Hoenn is based on) doesn't have a desert. So your logic fails.

1. Manhattan has few trees for it's size 2. I was joking, just doing the opposite of what he was doing.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
30th August 2010, 11:22 PM
1. Manhattan has few trees for it's size 2. I was joking, just doing the opposite of what he was doing.

Your joke didn't make sense at all, at least to me. :/

I've used to live near the NYC area and would occasionally visit NYC. There are lots of trees there, despite it's size. It's not an urban jungle, it does have trees and forests on the island. Like Central Park and northern Manhattan.

Furretferret
30th August 2010, 11:37 PM
Your joke didn't make sense at all, at least to me. :/

I've used to live near the NYC area and would occasionally visit NYC. There are lots of trees there, despite it's size. It's not an urban jungle, it does have trees and forests on the island. Like Central Park and northern Manhattan.

I live 30mins away from it, and have lived there for almost all my life, compared to the rest of new York and the north east, there are few trees, aside from cental park.

And to fix my joke, here's a better version of it! Oh there's a building where a building in NYC is! It makes so much sences! This all just seems like a big riddle, ER! It was the riddler all along! (if you get the referance you get 5 points!) and the idea of the joke was that he was making grand assumptions, so I made illogical anti assumptions that obviously did't really apply. Oh and to end this tree conversation.. I was thinking about buying a boat. (5 more points if you get that referance)

DBK
31st August 2010, 4:16 AM
Please tell me I am seeing things and we are not actually having this discussion again...

*sigh*

Well if it's worth anything, I agree with KIRA. This new region appears to be a conglomeration of several different locations, then exaggerated to a degree to make it interesting. There really isn't anything consistent between this region and the others, outside of the signature landmarks (and even those have been altered). And considering that this generation has been breaking "pokemon rules" left and right, it is not surprising that it's map has followed suite (that and Game Freak can do whatever they want, rules or no rules).

Shneak
31st August 2010, 6:47 AM
Of course, I think that Isshu isn't based on a certain country or region either, but Hiun City...

Sorry to bring it up again, my epiphany typed itself.

Lorde
31st August 2010, 7:23 AM

Yes, they were based on something; real regions in Japan. Isshu on the other hand is not based on Japan since I've yet to see any similarities between a real world location in Japan and the Isshu region haha. I think that's a huge inconsistency right there, that they've changed the basis for the regions from this point on it seems. It's not a bad thing, just a very random move on Game Freak's part. I mean, why do this now?

HOMG
31st August 2010, 8:46 AM
Yes, they were based on something; real regions in Japan. Isshu on the other hand is not based on Japan since I've yet to see any similarities between a real world location in Japan and the Isshu region haha. I think that's a huge inconsistency right there, that they've changed the basis for the regions from this point on it seems. It's not a bad thing, just a very random move on Game Freak's part. I mean, why do this now?

Probably to explain the complete absence of all pokemon from other regions pre-e4, and because they're trying to renew the franchise, and it's not really renewal if they continue doing stuff they've done forever and everybody expects it.

The Great Butler
31st August 2010, 8:50 AM
I know Anime =/= Games and all, but I do find it somewhat coincidental that what clearly appeared to be the two towers of the World Trade Center were briefly seen in the Movie 14 preview clip.

Neo Duality
31st August 2010, 8:52 AM
Isshu seems to be a balance between nature and technology, possibly what Zekrom and Reshiram represent.

Lorde
31st August 2010, 9:56 AM
Isshu seems to be a balance between nature and technology, possibly what Zekrom and Reshiram represent.

That does seem possible. We only have this beta map to go with at the moment and it's missing tons of towns and locations, but I can see nature and technology coexisting side-by-side this time around. It would make sense that Reshiram and Zekrom represent the balance of the Isshu region since they're based off of the concept of yin and yang. Balance seems to be Isshu's trend, maybe we can all agree on that for now since there's a lot of controversy when it comes to Isshu's real-world counterpart :S

Arceus, The Original One
31st August 2010, 11:50 AM

I agree with that.
Reshiram's tail is a torch, and Zekrom's tail seems to be some sort of generator. But this game has alot of opposites and contrasts: Black and White - the Games titles; Ying and Yang - The classifications of Reshiram and Zekrom; Black City and White Forest - Both are opposites, and plus we have Black and White Again.

The only thing that's possibly missing is Light and Darkness.
But both Electricity and Fire bring Light in their own ways...

Neo Duality
31st August 2010, 11:57 AM
Hey, hence Black Fortress and White Forest.

And also, Reshiram's typing is fire (which is a natural source of energy) while Zekrom's is electric (electricity, modern energy source)

What do you think?

Pattry
31st August 2010, 2:13 PM
The game (in my mind) is going a lot deeper into modern problems and concerns (about the environment etc)then previous games, perhaps I am reading to much into it but it seems almost as if it is speaking about changing times, how technology has changed civilisation etc etc.

The way I look at Isshu is that we start of in fairly small towns (Aloe the second gym leader looks like an olden day baker IMO), then a massive culture shock of Hiun city comes out of nowhere, I would not be surprised if that is where we face our first team Plasma "big issue".

But once again, maybe i am reading too much into things.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
31st August 2010, 3:23 PM
The game (in my mind) is going a lot deeper into modern problems and concerns (about the environment etc)then previous games, perhaps I am reading to much into it but it seems almost as if it is speaking about changing times, how technology has changed civilisation etc etc.

The way I look at Isshu is that we start of in fairly small towns (Aloe the second gym leader looks like an olden day baker IMO), then a massive culture shock of Hiun city comes out of nowhere, I would not be surprised if that is where we face our first team Plasma "big issue".

I don't know what you mean by "big issue", but we know that the player character will meet with Team Plasma in Karakusa Town (the town after the starting town). They're causing a commotion in the town and making an announcement of some sort to the townspeople.

MUSE+.+
31st August 2010, 4:27 PM
there's a village in the desert, but not a ghost, cause I see two houses with roofs, windows and even closed doors, but they made it pretty blurry..

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
31st August 2010, 9:23 PM
there's a village in the desert, but not a ghost, cause I see two houses with roofs, windows and even closed doors, but they made it pretty blurry..

Yeah, we've noticed.

But I think it's a ghost town, because it's not an official town on the town map. And there's more than 2 houses, there are rundown buildings as well.

And notice that there are 2 weird skull looking objects in the northwest of the desert? Maybe they're our fossil Pokemon? The in-game map even shows that there's a point of interest there! :D

Arceus, The Original One
31st August 2010, 10:12 PM

You meet them in Kakaruso Town or however you spell it, then later on in the ruins north of Kakoruso, with a Munna and Musharna. That's all we know about them. And there's a grunt causing trouble in the Victini event. If they were in Hiun I doubt it would be a mass operation like Team Rocket and Goldenrod.
And also when you receive the Liberty Ticket from Wi-Fi

MUSE+.+
31st August 2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah, we've noticed.

But I think it's a ghost town, because it's not an official town on the town map. And there's more than 2 houses, there are rundown buildings as well.

And notice that there are 2 weird skull looking objects in the northwest of the desert? Maybe they're our fossil Pokemon? The in-game map even shows that there's a point of interest there! :D

stil I think someone lives in those houses, like maybe an old lady for healing or so, cause the battles will be in sandstorm like R/S/E probably..

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
31st August 2010, 10:53 PM
stil I think someone lives in those houses, like maybe an old lady for healing or so, cause the battles will be in sandstorm like R/S/E probably..

There might be some sort of trainers, like Ninja boys who hide in the abandoned homes. Sounds good to me. :D

MUSE+.+
31st August 2010, 10:59 PM
There might be some sort of trainers, like Ninja boys who hide in the abandoned homes. Sounds good to me. :D

yeah, I liked those ninja trio's in sinnoh cause I never learned my pokemon defog cause it was such a crappy HM, and the the ninja's popped out of nowhere!

Glue
31st August 2010, 11:28 PM
I dont like the sound of diagonal paths, does that mean we have to go up then left up then left or right repeatedly? Because that could get annoying.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
31st August 2010, 11:39 PM
I dont like the sound of diagonal paths, does that mean we have to go up then left up then left or right repeatedly? Because that could get annoying.

I doubt it's even diagonal, I think it's the way they designed the in-game map.

But, if it is indeed diagonal. They'd change the direction and you will go diagonal while pushing up. :]

It works for Sky Arrow Bridge, one video showed a player going around the circle ramp while still facing up.

rocky505
31st August 2010, 11:43 PM
Wasn't cycling road in Kanto diagonal in it's original art as well?

Glue
31st August 2010, 11:45 PM
I doubt it's even diagonal, I think it's the way they designed the in-game map.

But, if it is indeed diagonal. They'd change the direction and you will go diagonal while pushing up. :]

It works for Sky Arrow Bridge, one video showed a player going around the circle ramp while still facing up.

Oh ya I remember that, thats gonna throw me off real bad, but I guess it kind of makes sense.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
31st August 2010, 11:47 PM
Wasn't cycling road in Kanto diagonal in it's original art as well?

What original art?

The Cycling Road in Kanto was vertical in-games. Some map art has it curved, and some have it straight like FRLG & HGSS's official map art.

But I don't get your point.

-----
I decided to make a map of what I think the in-game map (as in the overworld) would look like. Sorry for the horrendousness, I used it on paint and on a laptop... >.<

This here shows that it's diagonal. The official map, we know it's exaggerated, because of the number of houses in Kanoko Town.
http://i56.*******.com/34hcgth.png

And this is my Painting skill on a laptop! XP
You get out of Lighthouse City then you go left and then up the route. And then you go into a cave and come out the cave and go left and up into the Airport City.

The in-game map is just visual representation and just shows a route connecting point to point.
http://i56.*******.com/2whhxn9.png

I believe the overworld won't have diagonal routes. The map is just showing point to point, not following the routes. That's what I think

A_Merry_Snowrunt
1st September 2010, 12:06 AM
so anything exciting discovered in the Isshu map as of late? And secondly, any sightings for White Forest and Black City anywhere on the map? Also, do you think we could go outside of Isshu since there's an airport rather than the seaport?

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
1st September 2010, 12:19 AM
so anything exciting discovered in the Isshu map as of late? And secondly, any sightings for White Forest and Black City anywhere on the map? Also, do you think we could go outside of Isshu since there's an airport rather than the seaport?

No... Nothing exciting has been discovered. I guess.

Black City and White Forest is not known where it will be on the map. I'm assuming it's under the clouds, which covers 3 possible cities.

And I would say that it might go out of Isshu. Idk, we'll have to wait. :3

PartyPokemon
1st September 2010, 3:54 AM
Isshu just might be the best region yet.

Sabonea_Masukippa
1st September 2010, 9:10 AM
After viewing those videos...my golly gosh Isshu looks awesome. Me wanty to play these games now.

Sakrey
1st September 2010, 9:37 AM
Same here! Isshu landscapes are so diverse, there are so many differences between areas, which confort me in the idea that Isshu is one freaking big region :)

I love you Isshu <3 !

Lance The Champ
1st September 2010, 10:27 AM
Isshu region is a revolution! Its awesome and after watching the trailers it has occupied my heart

rocky505
1st September 2010, 1:53 PM
What original art?

The Cycling Road in Kanto was vertical in-games. Some map art has it curved, and some have it straight like FRLG & HGSS's official map art.

But I don't get your point.

-----
I decided to make a map of what I think the in-game map (as in the overworld) would look like. Sorry for the horrendousness, I used it on paint and on a laptop... >.<

This here shows that it's diagonal. The official map, we know it's exaggerated, because of the number of houses in Kanoko Town.
http://i56.*******.com/34hcgth.png

And this is my Painting skill on a laptop! XP
You get out of Lighthouse City then you go left and then up the route. And then you go into a cave and come out the cave and go left and up into the Airport City.

The in-game map is just visual representation and just shows a route connecting point to point.
http://i56.*******.com/2whhxn9.png

I believe the overworld won't have diagonal routes. The map is just showing point to point, not following the routes. That's what I think Yes it was curved in gen 1 and 2 it was slanted in the anime (Which doesn't matter)

mitchman_93
1st September 2010, 2:37 PM
The airport seems not to be a big yellow dot, but that small green one. The spiral tower though, now that's a yellow dot. I think. But yeah, Isshu, holy hell does my heart pound for you, love how awesome it looks.

gliscor&yanmega
1st September 2010, 3:05 PM
I think Isshu may just be the best Region for me. There looks like there are so many places to explore. Can't wait to explore the wonders of Isshu, then I beat it in a week and get bored of it all(Then play it over again a month later).

MUSE+.+
1st September 2010, 3:13 PM
I think Isshu may just be the best Region for me. There looks like there are so many places to explore. Can't wait to explore the wonders of Isshu, then I beat it in a week and get bored of it all(Then play it over again a month later).

don't forget that the seasons change each month, and that will refresh the games many times.. since everything gets a new coat.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
1st September 2010, 3:25 PM
don't forget that the seasons change each month, and that will refresh the games many times.. since everything gets a new coat.

And the day/night feature, even more possibilities. :D

PartyPokemon
1st September 2010, 3:33 PM
Guys... this region is going to awesome.
So what do you guys think is the best part of it all, from everything that's been revealed to us?

mitchman_93
1st September 2010, 3:34 PM
http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/2911845216357_isshu.pnghttp://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/14366427303591_isshubadge.bmp
We MIGHT be getting a second region or league faction, if this is anything to go by. Also definitely a gym:
http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/16311566170251_isshu3.bmp
http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/4716440078823_isshu2.bmp

Arceus, The Original One
1st September 2010, 3:42 PM
Did anyone notice the post on Pokejungle and the image?
There's possibly three Gym Leaders for Sanyou City.
Why isn't there any focus on them I wonder?

http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/29p95jt4.png

http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/2911845216357_isshu.pnghttp://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/images/14366427303591_isshubadge.bmp
We MIGHT be getting a second region or league faction, if this is anything to go by.

I hope there is, it gives me another thing to do after I've wiped the floor with the e4 and the gym leaders. I hope it's another region, as it would be exciting, I wonder why they're keeping it quiet? Then again, they didn't exactly reveal Kanto for HG/SS until a couple of week before the game was released.

If it's not another region, it's possible you could get a choice between League factions at the start of the game or something?

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
1st September 2010, 3:47 PM

I hope there is, it gives me another thing to do after I've wiped the floor with the e4 and the gym leaders. I hope it's another region, as it would be exciting, I wonder why they're keeping it quiet? Then again, they didn't exactly reveal Kanto for HG/SS until a couple of week before the game was released.

If it's not another region, it's possible you could get a choice between League factions at the start of the game or something?

I discovered that on Bmgf :D

Yeah, as I said on Bmgf, we have a case that only contains 8 gym badges. It could be an unofficial gym, battle facility or whatever. 16 badges is a bit too extreme. Until I see another gym with that symbol, I'll believe it.

mitchman_93
1st September 2010, 3:48 PM
Choice? Nah, the game would be too tailored to our choice for something that big.

gliscor&yanmega
1st September 2010, 3:51 PM

Well I probably will just speed up time for that. I'm not waiting one month when I can just wait 1 minute to change everything. Unless you can't change it then I'm doomed. Maybe this game will take me longer then the others though.

Arceus, The Original One
1st September 2010, 3:56 PM
I discovered that on Bmgf :D

Yeah, as I said on Bmgf, we have a case that only contains 8 gym badges. It could be an unofficial gym, battle facility or whatever. 16 badges is a bit too extreme. Until I see another gym with that symbol, I'll believe it.

Well Pokemon (Heart)Gold/(Soul)Silver/Crystal had 16 Gyms. So it's not that extreme, although Isshu is pretty big, I don't think it could fit a possible 16 Gyms in it though, it could possibly, if Hiun City was to incorporate more than one gym.

Choice? Nah, the game would be too tailored to our choice for something that big.

True, although it is a very good concept:
Putting the game in the players hands and letting them decide, gamers would be happy about that.

But something else came to mind, the games - Gamefreak themselves have said the games will have more version differences than previous titles, such as areas, locations will look different and be different as well as the usual you can't get this Pokemon in this game, but you can get it in that.

What if the Gyms are different depending the on the game you chose as well?

Maybe Gyms could be different for the games too?

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
1st September 2010, 4:01 PM
Well Pokemon (Heart)Gold/(Soul)Silver/Crystal had 16 Gyms. So it's not that extreme, although Isshu is pretty big, I don't think it could fit a possible 16 Gyms in it though, it could possibly, if Hiun City was to incorporate more than one gym.

I realize that HGSS had 16 gyms, but there were 8 gyms in each region. Kanto and Johto are separate. It is extreme, Isshu is one region, thus containing 8 gyms, as evidenced in the gym case. :/

Arceus, The Original One
1st September 2010, 4:06 PM
I realize that HGSS had 16 gyms, but there were 8 gyms in each region. Kanto and Johto are separate. It is extreme, Isshu is one region, thus containing 8 gyms, as evidenced in the gym case. :/

But if you read mitchman's post, he said there could be another Gym faction or region, as the statues in the gym's are different. And we could have more than one Gym case anyways. Dento's Gym has the 'Pokeball design with some pattern in it' statue, and another gym has a completly different statue. And Dento's badge went into the case which his Gym's statue was on the back of. So it's possible we have 2 regions or 2 Gym factions.

WynautQueen
1st September 2010, 4:12 PM
Guys... this region is going to awesome.
So what do you guys think is the best part of it all, from everything that's been revealed to us?

Honestly, the way it's presented is what's got me most excited. It feels very immersive. I really think that the different seasons will mean that there'll a lot more to explore than in previous games, and it'll keep us busy longer. In other words, it'll take us a lot longer to get to that "there's nothing else to do!" point in the game, post E4, nabbing all the legends and stuff.

mitchman_93
1st September 2010, 6:05 PM
But if you read mitchman's post, he said there could be another Gym faction or region, as the statues in the gym's are different. And we could have more than one Gym case anyways. Dento's Gym has the 'Pokeball design with some pattern in it' statue, and another gym has a completly different statue. And Dento's badge went into the case which his Gym's statue was on the back of. So it's possible we have 2 regions or 2 Gym factions.
Well factions is my word, so I wouldn't be spreading it like wildfire.:P But yes, not only that, but most gyms we know of have the symbol. The bug gym, the coaster gym, and Dento's. If almost half the region have it, so will the rest. The only other thing that could happen is that the other 4 gyms have this symbol instead of the check-ball.

Arceus, The Original One
1st September 2010, 6:11 PM
Well factions is my word, so I wouldn't be spreading it like wildfire.:P But yes, not only that, but most gyms we know of have the symbol. The bug gym, the coaster gym, and Dento's. If almost half the region have it, so will the rest. The only other thing that could happen is that the other 4 gyms have this symbol instead of the check-ball.

Sorry, I'll look for the synonym of 'faction' then :P

But I do have to agree with your idea though, there's either another group of Gym Leaders, or another region. The thought of this excites me :D

mitchman_93
1st September 2010, 6:41 PM
Or it could be Huin's gym, and the symbol being outside makes the symbol inside useless. But I believe its the bug gym, thanks to the bug wing.

lucario295
1st September 2010, 8:14 PM
Honestly, the way it's presented is what's got me most excited. It feels very immersive. I really think that the different seasons will mean that there'll a lot more to explore than in previous games, and it'll keep us busy longer. In other words, it'll take us a lot longer to get to that "there's nothing else to do!" point in the game, post E4, nabbing all the legends and stuff.

yeah that happened for me and probably for a lot of other people once you beat the E4 and nab the legends there is not a whole lot to do except beat the battle frontier (if there is one in black and white) and complete the pokedex which i can't imagine how hard that would be to do.

V Faction
1st September 2010, 8:19 PM
Well factions is my word, so I wouldn't be spreading it like wildfire.

Since when has the word 'Faction' ever belonged to someone who isn't me? :D

I told you this on BMGF mitch, but I'll bring it up here again for the sake on continuity. The balls just might be another design. If I recall correctly, there were some screenshots of other places that might be Gyms that simply had Poke Ball statue pillars instead of the crazily designed one. I don't think there will be more than 8 Gyms just yet.

Camzy2012
1st September 2010, 8:49 PM
It would be sweet if there are more gyms after the E4, or at least a bit (A LOT) more plot after. I get bored easily after defeating the main plot (around the last gym) in older games.

"Also... (I'm gonna get flamed so much for this...) I found this vid on youtube while looking at the new B+W trailers. Some fellow found an area on google earth that looked an awful lot like Isshu. The location is...Australia, appearently. (I thought it was the U.S. Oh, well.) I just found the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhi-7qdiIM *Shields self from incoming flames*" Wierd, right?

Brave Birdy
1st September 2010, 9:28 PM

http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/29p95jt4.png

I think that before fighting Dento, you'll be asked one more type matchup question, with the correct answer being grass. Therefore, if you answer correctly, you'll battle the grass trainer (Dento) and get the gym badge. But if you answer incorrectly, you'll battle the mock-gym leader of the type you selected and will then have to choose from the remaining two types.

Does that make sense?

gliscor&yanmega
1st September 2010, 9:40 PM
I think that before fighting Dento, you'll be asked one more type matchup question, with the correct answer being grass. Therefore, if you answer correctly, you'll battle the grass trainer (Dento) and get the gym badge. But if you answer incorrectly, you'll battle the mock-gym leader of the type you selected and will then have to choose from the remaining two types.

Does that make sense?

Never thought of it like that. Makes perfect sense.

QingLong
1st September 2010, 11:05 PM
In my opinion this new region looks cool.

Grei
1st September 2010, 11:56 PM

Does that make sense?

That makes sense.

At least now the badge makes sense, what with one guy's hair is red (Fire?) and one guy's hair is blue (Water?). (Or, their hair color just corresponds to the badge colors, not Pokemon typing.)

For some reason, Triple Battles are coming to mind. Maybe your first Gym Challenge is a Triple battle? Or, it's just three separate battles, with the Gym having three Leaders (effectively being a multi-type Gym)?

... or, the Gym Leader you fight is randomized with each copy of the game? I dunno. Since Dento's the one being focused on, I'll go with him being the "true" Gym Leader.

Maybe the puzzle works like this:

Upon completing the first question correctly, the red Fire curtain is lifted and you have to fight the redhead (who uses Fire-types). The redhead goes to wait at the back of the Gym.
Then, you go on to a blue Water curtain, and behind that one is the blue-haired guy (who uses Water-types). The blue-haired guy goes to wait at the back of the Gym.
After that, you go on to lift a green Grass curtain, and you get to challenge Dento.

... this just isn't making much sense...

battlemaster123
2nd September 2010, 1:33 AM
but the other two people only appear after you won your so i dont think you get to battle them

Grei
2nd September 2010, 1:46 AM
But that doesn't make sense. What is the point of having two people appear after you win a Badge? Once you obtain a Badge, you're done with the Gym.

I still think that the red-head is behind the Fire curtain and the blue-haired guy is behind a hypothetical Water curtain. Maybe they just come up to congratulate you on winning or something (or they just move behind Dento during the battle). I doubt they're alternate Gym Leaders--maybe they're Dento's younger brothers who tend to favor one type of Pokemon.

Beck
2nd September 2010, 3:51 AM
But that doesn't make sense. What is the point of having two people appear after you win a Badge? Once you obtain a Badge, you're done with the Gym.

I still think that the red-head is behind the Fire curtain and the blue-haired guy is behind a hypothetical Water curtain. Maybe they just come up to congratulate you on winning or something (or they just move behind Dento during the battle). I doubt they're alternate Gym Leaders--maybe they're Dento's younger brothers who tend to favor one type of Pokemon.

This sounds probable.

From the looks of the gym, you're being tested on type-effectiveness with the three-core types - grass, fire, and water. If you answer correctly then you advance untouched (see: Dento without those behind him). If you answer incorrectly (purposefully or unpurposefully) then the red-headed/blue-headed trainer confronts you to right your "mistake" (for those of us who already know our type's strengths and weaknesses). Now, the reason Dento - the grass gym leader - is /the/ leader is because you're probably able to pick up a solid flying type before the first gym. This way, if you didn't pick the fire starter, the gym itself won't become that much more difficult.

GF seems to be promoting the understanding of type-effectiveness, and they're doing it brilliantly. I'm not bored, at least.

mitchman_93
2nd September 2010, 1:33 PM
Since when has the word 'Faction' ever belonged to someone who isn't me? :D

I told you this on BMGF mitch, but I'll bring it up here again for the sake on continuity. The balls just might be another design. If I recall correctly, there were some screenshots of other places that might be Gyms that simply had Poke Ball statue pillars instead of the crazily designed one. I don't think there will be more than 8 Gyms just yet.
The pillars were outside though. All gyms we have seen have those on statues in front.

V Faction
2nd September 2010, 1:49 PM
The pillars were outside though. All gyms we have seen have those on statues in front.

And that's all there is to it -- a different design.

Now, I obviously could be wrong, but if that ends up being the case then I see no down side. Who wouldn't want more than 8 Gyms in a game?

mitchman_93
2nd September 2010, 2:29 PM
Its a different design for the statues inside, but having a different design in a game were there is a unified symbol is strange. What I meant is, the pillars you were talking about are outside the gym, while these are inside. Major difference, and they play no role to this speculation.

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 4:48 AM
I wondered if, perhaps, Dento freaks out when he starts losing and calls in the red- and blue-haired guys as "backup," thus initiating the player's first triple battle.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 4:51 AM
I wondered if, perhaps, Dento freaks out when he starts losing and calls in the red- and blue-haired guys as "backup," thus initiating the player's first triple battle.

Nope, you can see that when the player battles Dento, there's nobody behind Dento.
And after the player defeats Dento and is rewarded the gym badge, the 2 guys appear behind him.

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 5:19 AM
Nope, you can see that when the player battles Dento, there's nobody behind Dento.
And after the player defeats Dento and is rewarded the gym badge, the 2 guys appear behind him.

...Right, which is precisely why it seems probable that Dento calls them mid-battle to come to his aid. My point was that you would begin fighting only Dento and, once the tide turns against him, he would call in his two friends partway through the battle. The one-on-one would become a triple battle, and you would thus end with all three characters (Dento and his friends) present.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 5:27 AM
...Right, which is precisely why it seems probable that Dento calls them mid-battle to come to his aid. My point was that you would begin fighting only Dento and, once the tide turns against him, he would call in his two friends partway through the battle. The one-on-one would become a triple battle, and you would thus end with all three characters (Dento and his friends) present.

You're not thinking.

The two trainers behind Dento appear when you receive the badge from Dento. They're probably there to congratulate you.

It doesn't make sense for Dento to hand you the badge, and then you're forced to battle them.

Grei
3rd September 2010, 5:30 AM
You're not thinking.

The two trainers behind Dento appear when you receive the badge from Dento. They're probably there to congratulate you.

It doesn't make sense for Dento to hand you the badge, and then you're forced to battle them.

No, you're not thinking.

Before you fight Dento, it's just you and Dento standing there.

Psikid is saying, in the middle of the fight with Dento, as in, mid-battle, Dento gets freaked out that he's losing so easily, so he calls his red and blue-haired friends to join in on the match. You then have to beat all three of them in a triple battle, and then you get the badge.

He never said you had to fight them after you get the badge or whatever you're thinking. It'd be like this:

Dento and You, battle starts
You're beating Dento, so he calls up two of his buddies and the match becomes a triple battle
Then, after the battle is over, the screen shifts back to the overworld view.
Since Dento's buddies joined in mid-fight, they are standing there when you are receiving the badge.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 5:37 AM
No, you're not thinking.

Before you fight Dento, it's just you and Dento standing there.

Psikid is saying, in the middle of the fight with Dento, as in, mid-battle, Dento gets freaked out that he's losing so easily, so he calls his red and blue-haired friends to join in on the match. You then have to beat all three of them in a triple battle, and then you get the badge.

He never said you had to fight them after you get the badge or whatever you're thinking. It'd be like this:

Dento and You, battle starts
You're beating Dento, so he calls up two of his buddies and the match becomes a triple battle
Then, after the battle is over, the screen shifts back to the overworld view.
Since Dento's buddies joined in mid-fight, they are standing there when you are receiving the badge.

Oh, my bad then.

I would think that this wouldn't happen anyway.

I believe they're trainers. Sort of like special trainers, not the average trainers.

Sorry to Psikid! T_T

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 5:41 AM
You're not thinking.

Somehow I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Are you basing your comments on the recent video? Because they cut out the battle entirely. D=

Dento, when first approached: ようこそ こちら サンヨウシティ ポケモンジムです (Welcome! This is the Sanyou City Pokémon Gym.)

Cut to the next scene where the badge flashes before your eyes; two men have "magically" appeared before you.

This means that, when you first meet Dento, he is alone; when you receive the badge, two men flank him, one with red hair and the other with blue. In other words, these other two characters appear at some point between when you first speak with Dento and when he presents you with the badge.

Moreover, given that we have also seen screenshots of "Black v. Dento" in which Dento is still the only trainer in sight, it seems perfectly likely that the other two trainers arrive on the scene mid-battle.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 5:52 AM
Somehow I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Are you basing your comments on the recent video? Because they cut out the battle entirely. D=

Dento, when first approached: ようこそ こちら サンヨウシティ ポケモンジムです (Welcome! This is the Sanyou City Pokémon Gym.)

Cut to the next scene where the badge flashes before your eyes; two men have "magically" appeared before you.

This means that, when you first meet Dento, he is alone; when you receive the badge, two men flank him, one with red hair and the other with blue. In other words, these other two characters appear at some point between when you first speak with Dento and when he presents you with the badge.

Moreover, given that we have also seen screenshots of "Black v. Dento" in which Dento is still the only trainer in sight, it seems perfectly likely that the other two trainers arrive on the scene mid-battle.

Yes, I agree with everything you said in this post. And yes, I'm talking about the recent video, but it's very unlikely that it's not in order.

However, you said in the previous post about triple-battling the other 2 trainers and Dento when Dento is in a crisis.

To me, that's just unlikely.

I think they show up to congratulate you.

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 6:01 AM
No, I think it's in order: they just skipped over the battle in the latest video. While I would agree that such a change occurring mid-battle being unprecedented, I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely. Frankly, shaking things up in the first gym would be a great way to engage the player early on. I admit, though, that they may just appear to congratulate you. (One of the trainers can be seen "hiding" behind the fire curtain across from the grass circle.) Either way, I'm anxious to find out what happens!

Also, from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rgd4gozIg&feature=related

"Ms. White!
Prof. Araragi is waiting at the Dragon Spiral Tower at the end of the road out of this town.
Dragon Spiral Tower...where a legendary Pokémon sleeps.
Prof. Araragi is in the process of investigating that legend."

In other words, the "road" might be one through the western mountains, from the Ice(?) gym in Sekka City (windmill town) to Dragon Spiral Tower (white tower) north of the airfield in the west. DST is undoubtedly the same spiral-shaped tower that has been shown in a number of the latest videos.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 6:26 AM
No, I think it's in order: they just skipped over the battle in the latest video. While I would agree that such a change occurring mid-battle being unprecedented, I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely. Frankly, shaking things up in the first gym would be a great way to engage the player early on. I admit, though, that they may just appear to congratulate you. (One of the trainers can be seen "hiding" behind the fire curtain across from the grass circle.) Either way, I'm anxious to find out what happens!

Also, from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rgd4gozIg&feature=related

"Ms. White!
Prof. Araragi is waiting at the Dragon Spiral Tower at the end of the road out of this town.
Dragon Spiral Tower...where a legendary Pokémon sleeps.
Prof. Araragi is in the process of investigating that legend."

In other words, the "road" might be one through the western mountains, from the Ice(?) gym in Sekka City (windmill town) to Dragon Spiral Tower (white tower) north of the airfield in the west. DST is undoubtedly the same spiral-shaped tower that has been shown in a number of the latest videos.

We'll see! :)

And about that, I don't think the tower that was recently shown is the "Dragon Spiral Tower".

See here?

http://i55.*******.com/dli25u.png

Sekka City is the blue circle. Since the Dragon Spiral Tower is north of Sekka City, it has to be the castle like building above.

The tower that we've seen of the player walking up in a circle is in the green circle.

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 6:40 AM
We'll see! :)

And about that, I don't think the tower that was recently shown is the "Dragon Spiral Tower".

See here?

Sekka City is the blue circle. Since the Dragon Spiral Tower is north of Sekka City, it has to be the castle like building above.

The tower that we've seen of the player walking up in a circle is in the green circle.

Given his phrasing of "the road out of this town," I initially thought that he meant the road north toward the castle that you mentioned. Shape-wise, though, I would certainly call it a castle, yet the game clearly uses the word "tower" (とう/塔, tou).

Also, reference this video (0:55): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVGvlT69B8M

We see an old man in a lab coat--a friend of Araragi's, no doubt--and Iris, the Kibago trainer from the anime.

Old Man: "Unfortunately, we don't know a way to awaken the legendary Dragon Pokémon..." (ざんねんながら でんせつの ドラゴンポケモンを めざめさせる ほうほうは わからぬ…)

The next scene is of your trainer ascending the spiral staircase of the building that you circled in green.

Whether the two scenes are directly related is as of yet unclear, of course. It also doesn't help that the building that you circled in red is shrouded in mists in every available copy of the map, making it difficult to discern its "true form." =/

I would agree that, in terms of placement, the "mysterious" building north of Sekka City is the most logical place for DST based on what Araragi's assistant says, but the spiral tower just through the mountains seems like an equally logical choice, particularly because of its structure. It should also be noted that you meet with her assistant when trying to exit Sekka City to the south--which, according to the map, would take you directly into the western mountains and, thus, through to the spiral tower in the west.

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 6:44 AM
Given his phrasing of "the road out of this town," I initially thought that he meant the road north toward the castle that you mentioned. Shape-wise, though, I would certainly call it a castle, yet the game clearly uses the word "tower" (とう/塔, tou).

We see an old man in a lab coat--a friend of Araragi's, no doubt--and Iris, the Kibago trainer from the anime.

Old Man: "Unfortunately, we don't know a way to awaken the legendary Dragon Pokémon..." (ざんねんながら でんせつの ドラゴンポケモンを めざめさせる ほうほうは わからぬ…)

The next scene is of your trainer ascending the spiral staircase of the building that you circled in green.

Whether the two scenes are directly related is as of yet unclear, of course. It also doesn't help that the building that you circled in red is shrouded in mists in every available copy of the map, making it difficult to discern its "true form." =/

I would agree that, in terms of placement, the "mysterious" building north of Sekka City is the most logical place for DST based on what Araragi's assistant says, but the spiral tower just through the mountains seems like an equally logical choice, particularly because of its structure. It should also be noted that you meet with her assistant when trying to exit Sekka City to the south--which, according to the map, would take you directly into the western mountains and, thus, through to the spiral tower in the west.

A few weeks ago, Pokemon Sunday showed a demo footage of the player character in Sekka City and even walked upward to the Dragon Spiral Tower where Professor Araragi was.

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv89JDW5RoQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Psikid
3rd September 2010, 6:54 AM
Ah, I missed that! D= Just found a video, though, so things make perfect sense now.

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

EDIT: On second thought, one of the High Link missions mentions the "Tower of Heaven" on Route 7. The tower on the western side of Isshu seems a bit far to be Route 7, but it's something to consider, perhaps.

Chardan
3rd September 2010, 7:42 PM
Ah, I missed that! D= Just found a video, though, so things make perfect sense now.

EDIT: On second thought, one of the High Link missions mentions the "Tower of Heaven" on Route 7. The tower on the western side of Isshu seems a bit far to be Route 7, but it's something to consider, perhaps.

Also, it appears than in that White tower with the spiral staircase, there are gravestones at the bottom floor. Dead Pokemon = Heaven. Kind of fits together. We have no Idea how routes work as of yet, for instance, the routes may well be huge now, with the same route between each town and city. Not hard to make route 7 go to that tower, if the huge routes are the case.

Ememew
3rd September 2010, 10:32 PM
That, or they decided the route numbers following pretty much exactly the order you would reach them from the starting town was a bit unrealistic, and numbered them differently? Of course you still start on Route One. . .

I just wish they would change the route numbering to be more realistic. You always start in a small town, so what's so special about that town that the routes are named in order leading away from it?

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
3rd September 2010, 11:32 PM

That actually makes sense, it matches perfectly.
-Route 2 would go in between Karakusa Town and Sanyou City.
-Route 3 would go in between Sanyou City and Shippou City.
-Route 4 would contain Sky Arrow Bridge and the forest and in between Shippou City and Hiun City.
-Route 5 would be in between Raimon City and Hiun City.
-Route 6 would contain that Red Bridge and be between Raimon City and the lighthouse city.
-And finally, Route 7 would be where the "Tower of Heaven" is.

Psikid
4th September 2010, 12:14 AM
Seems logical to me! :D I guess Route 7 would also include the western mountains, then.

SupaKawaii
4th September 2010, 3:46 PM
I adore Isshu atm even without being able to see everything. The whole concept of the region is unique and the game designers have taken pokemon to a new level

chrisasaur
4th September 2010, 7:13 PM
This region better have some more cities :(

Sakrey
4th September 2010, 7:20 PM
Do you have something to complain about Isshu's cities/towns ? Please explain yourself.
Did you watch the latest commercials and promotional videos ?
People need to do more complete sentences to support their opinions...Not just "Baw, I don't like it, bawww"...

βƹβƹ ɱɪɢηѻη
5th September 2010, 1:51 AM
Do you have something to complain about Isshu's cities/towns ? Please explain yourself.
People need to do more complete sentences to support their opinions...Not just "Baw, I don't like it, bawww"...

Just ignore them. :)

Besides, Isshu has alot of cities. It has 14 cities, according to the in-game map. The same amount that Sinnoh had, excluding the northeast island.

Lorde
5th September 2010, 5:34 PM

Well not everyone watches the trailers nor do they see the screenshots for those videos. Then there's the current Isshu map, which looks pretty bland compared to other maps even if it is a beta map. So it's only natural for some people to assume that Isshu has little to offer in terms of towns and cities.

Sakrey
5th September 2010, 6:21 PM
That is why I've asked If he/she has watched the videos.
I can understand that, with the actual map's artwork, people tend to think it will be a simplistic region.
However, that doesn't allow whiners to just throw out of the blue "This region sucks" or " It better be full of [thingsIselfhishlywant]" or any one-line sentences of the same way that don't have other purpose that to whine brainlessly about. It is always better for both party to support their ideas with examples. That way we can have a somewhat intelligent discussion about.

Grei
5th September 2010, 8:52 PM
SunnyC made this post in the Confirmed Pokemon topic, and while it was relating to Confirmed Pokemon via the Elemonkeys, I figured I'd copy this to discuss Dento's Gym again.

So, about that triple gym battle at the beginning of the game. Seems we really did get a sea monkey, and now we've got two fire apes, (not to mention an excess of monkeys) and Dento in the anime will have a family/group to come from.

I keep hearing people claim this Gym is going to be a Triple Battle gym (I know that's not directly what you were saying, but it reminded me). I think it'd be neat, but at the same time, I don't think they'd have Triple Battle for the first Gym. That's a complicated type of battle, and so I doubt they'd force new players who have just started the game to try and figure out the ins and outs of Triple Battle on their first Gym.

I mean, there had to be a reason why Hoenn's double battle Gym was so late in the game (besides them being Psychic types, since that went with the twin theme). One-on-one battles are something that are not only simple, but something the player is exposed to from the start. They aren't going to throw in the complicated Triple Battle for the first big challenge of the game.

On top of that, there are the VS bars for Dento, but none for the two other trainers.

So I think this will be something different. I still expect them to challenge you prior to Dento (either just by progression or if you answer a question incorrectly, but I expect the former). It's definitely not Triple or Rotation Battle, though.

V Faction
5th September 2010, 9:53 PM
So I think this will be something different. I still expect them to challenge you prior to Dento (either just by progression or if you answer a question incorrectly, but I expect the former). It's definitely not Triple or Rotation Battle, though.
I'm leaning towards Triple OR a 3 fights in a row marathon.

Although I never considered Rotational Battle, what's wrong with it? It's actually radically different from Triple Battles and wouldn't be hard for a new player to get into.

Arceus, The Original One
5th September 2010, 9:58 PM
I have to say I am really liking Isshu at the minute, but there is one thing that is putting me off, that's Isshu's Hiun City, I was watching a recent video and it seems its more like a Saffron or Goldenrod than originally thought, and by that I mean, no acess or no doors.
Come on, how unrealistic is that? every building has a door or window, or else what's the point of it being there.

Although I have to say, the city looks great, it just in my opinion, will be a bit of a let down, sure we have this collosus with its size, it's perfect scaling and many camera angles, but the non-acessible buildings are putting me off.
I would have thought Gen V would have turned over a new Smugleaf :(

Arceus, The Original One
5th September 2010, 10:03 PM

Oh God, please don't tell me Iris is actually going to be important :(

Wotter's evolution
6th September 2010, 4:08 AM
So Shanghai or New York City?
I have conflicting sources.

Grei
6th September 2010, 6:31 AM
I'm leaning towards Triple OR a 3 fights in a row marathon.

Although I never considered Rotational Battle, what's wrong with it? It's actually radically different from Triple Battles and wouldn't be hard for a new player to get into.

It is, but I just don't see it. Rotation Battles imply it's just one trainer--in this case, there are three.

I don't see Triple working because it's a complicated way of battling and it's only the first Gym, which is supposed to simply show you how Gyms work. Triple Battle, if it is a Gym, would come later.

Ememew
6th September 2010, 6:38 AM
Just thought of this an hour ago, so if it seems too out there, ignore it.

Does anyone think Dento may not always be the leader of the first gym? What I mean by this is could the gym have three trainers that take turns acting as gym trainers or gym leader depending on the starter type chosen by the player (in the same way your rivals' teams change based on your starter). The first one you fight is the one you are strong against, then the same type, then the leader is the one you are weak to, in order to make the challenge even no matter which starter you pick.
If this were the case (which I doubt, but I'm putting forward because I'm tired of the starter evo debate), the reason Dento has been the only leader shown is because they do not want to give away the actual mechanics of the gym until the game release. They would have decided to reveal him in the promotional material because he is the one used in the anime.

Please stay friendly if you should decide to debate this idea, my intention is to start a discussion about something other than the starter evos, not an argument. I personally doubt this, but would love it if it happened.

Mewtwo_soul
6th September 2010, 9:12 AM
There is also a possibility it could be seasonal. (Although 3!=/=4seasons) Maybe they switch depending on the season. Possibly it could be a triple battle during the fourth specific season which doesn't cover single leader. This could explain why Dento is shown in that one vid and the two guys come from behind. They congradulate you, but if you face them during said season... Challenge.

Princess Milotic☆
6th September 2010, 10:26 AM
Just thought of this an hour ago, so if it seems too out there, ignore it.

Does anyone think Dento may not always be the leader of the first gym? What I mean by this is could the gym have three trainers that take turns acting as gym trainers or gym leader depending on the starter type chosen by the player (in the same way your rivals' teams change based on your starter). The first one you fight is the one you are strong against, then the same type, then the leader is the one you are weak to, in order to make the challenge even no matter which starter you pick.
If this were the case (which I doubt, but I'm putting forward because I'm tired of the starter evo debate), the reason Dento has been the only leader shown is because they do not want to give away the actual mechanics of the gym until the game release. They would have decided to reveal him in the promotional material because he is the one used in the anime.

Please stay friendly if you should decide to debate this idea, my intention is to start a discussion about something other than the starter evos, not an argument. I personally doubt this, but would love it if it happened.

Sounds reasonable..
Atleast your FORCED to fight them, unlike in previous generations where you skip the gym trainers lol XD (ALWAYS in the FIRST gym.)

Lorde
6th September 2010, 10:47 AM
So Shanghai or New York City?
I have conflicting sources.

Answer: Nobody knows. Infact, nobody will know until the games are out and we can examine all the locations closely and compare them to real world areas. I don't really care what Isshu is based on but apparently several people do. It's not like it'll affect the story in anyway :S

M.A
6th September 2010, 4:04 PM
It's New York, peps.

RuinsofPoli
6th September 2010, 4:08 PM
Takes place in New York, confirmed in Pokemon Pia. :)

MrGreen
6th September 2010, 5:45 PM
So many Just had heart attacks. Im acctualy surpriced, I guess if you wanted to sell your games you would base it on the country you know its going to sell more.

Chimchar15
6th September 2010, 6:34 PM
So this debate is finally over. Anyways it's pretty cool how this game's setting takes place in the state that I live in. Awesomeness!

Grei
6th September 2010, 6:47 PM
I knew it all along. Isshu is based on New York!

There was just too much evidence supporting New York for me to doubt it.

Ememew
6th September 2010, 7:11 PM
New York, huh? Wonder if this means Lt. Surge will be making a cameo?

Anyway, yes! They've shown they're willing to move out of Japan, which means we won't have to worry about running out of regions for a long, long, long time!

7 tyranitars
6th September 2010, 8:35 PM
they better do it europe somewhere next time or else it will be really anoying..

Manene!
6th September 2010, 8:39 PM
Isshu, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can’t do. These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you.

I'm glad they're moving out of Japan, the locations in the movies are usually so beautiful. They're based different place. Seeing places like that in the games would be amazing..

Lorde
6th September 2010, 8:53 PM
Pfft, so then Hiun City is based on New York City, the center of the real world location? Makes some sense. I'm actually disappointed. I always wanted Isshu to remain Japanese-based so this feels a bit like a slap across the face from the creators. What's wrong with another region based on Japan?

blafie
6th September 2010, 8:54 PM
they better do it europe somewhere next time or else it will be really anoying..

Yeah they could set the next games in England and have a pokequeen.

Grei
6th September 2010, 8:59 PM
Pfft, so then Hiun City is based on New York City, the center of the real world location? Makes some sense. I'm actually disappointed. I always wanted Isshu to remain Japanese-based so this feels a bit like a slap across the face from the creators. What's wrong with another region based on Japan?

How is this a slap across the face when it was your own desire for Isshu to be Japan-based? There are an overwhelming amount of evidences that support it being America. It's got an American football player. Victini can be found at the Liberty Garden Tower, which is only available by boat with the Liberty Ticket. Hiun is packed with skyscrapers. One of the first promoted Pokemon was a red, white, and blue eagle.

And so on and so forth.

Most of the regions in Japan have been used (as far as I know, there is only one more area that could have been used). What's wrong with a region that isn't based on Japan, when that's all we've ever gotten since the beginning of the series?

Princess Milotic☆
6th September 2010, 9:15 PM
New York City?

That explains why they are putting black characters and ****ty-hip main characters. It All makes sense now(=

Lorde
6th September 2010, 9:18 PM

I just hope the next argument isn't about the next Generation's region and what real world regions they'll be based on. Let's get through Isshu first lol.

I just think Game Freak should've covered familiar territory rather than just go with a different nation to base their next set of games on. From what I can recall, Japan has several regions that could've easily been the basis for the 5th Generation's region had they thought to put in the effort. Basing Isshu on the U.S. makes it seem like they're rejecting their culture just so that the games will fit-in better in other nations.

MrGreen
6th September 2010, 10:49 PM
Theres plenty of gamesout there(that are Japan made) that take the culture of other countries. A great example would be Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Series, most of the characters there are American and work for the U.S. Military. And I guess because Pokemon sell so well in the US they decided to base it here. But why is there a Ying and Yang reference?

Sunsurge
6th September 2010, 11:00 PM
Is it confirmed?! Oh thank god, FINALLY. Now I don't have to hear stupid debates from people with horrible claims on both sides. *shakes head* Well there are pigeons, and New York has pigeons, THEREFORE....

*rolls eyes* I'm glad it's confirmed though. I'm not surprised or disappointed, even though I sorta wanted it to be somewhere else, I also knew it was very possible to end up being New York. I'm just glad the stupid 'evidence' can finally stop.

Interesting though how the region is based off of New York, I wonder what other aspects of the game will come from there. Hmmm.

Jaggy101
6th September 2010, 11:10 PM
Well the Isshu region may be designed by a multiple of cities, not just one, SO stop considering one place, we wont know for atleast a week (When the game comes out :D)

Grei
7th September 2010, 12:03 AM
Well the Isshu region may be designed by a multiple of cities, not just one, SO stop considering one place, we wont know for atleast a week (When the game comes out :D)

No, Pokemon Pia confirmed it. Isshu is New York.

AncientMew
7th September 2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah they could set the next games in England and have a pokequeen.

I wholeheartedly second this, the player starts off in a small town in Cumbria or Kent (possibly Cumbria, Sellafield Nuclear Power Station - Pokemon Prof's lab), travels off on his pokemon journey, having to walk because the trains aren't running, there's a strike. The evil organization are hooded youths and the player has to combat knife crime with pokemon. The legendary pokemon covers the land in snow, nobody can go anywhere or do anything because all the local councils are stupid and incompetant. The pokemon league is in London, but the stadium hasn't been built because they don't have enough money, but there is a rubbish pair of pokemon league 2012 mascots that nobody likes. At the end of the game the player is given an asbo and sent home, for being a youth wandering round the streets after dark, then he goes to live in Preston, gets his head kicked in and stabbed after knocking up the female character and getting a council flat and doing a lot of drugs. The end.

SuperMaster Z
7th September 2010, 12:08 AM
New York makes the most sense(the "american" football player sprite and "Wareagle" kinda gave it away)....I have to say that's quite cool. I really also dig the new group with whole knight theme going and the story seems really cool.

Mewtwo_soul
7th September 2010, 12:12 AM
Interesting on the New York confirmation. I wonder if there will be tons of US history references in such a case.

cranberries
7th September 2010, 12:24 AM
Interesting on the New York confirmation. I wonder if there will be tons of US history references in such a case.

I doubt it, mostly becase it seems that team plasma has a knight theme, which we do not have in america.

rocky505
7th September 2010, 12:40 AM
But Team Plasma have a freedom theme which America does have.

NightmareLudicolo
7th September 2010, 12:48 AM
Ok, so for those of you that don't know yet, the whole NY thing may be fake. Apparently the "clearer cover" was supposed to be "the beta cover," which makes no sense why some random news fan site would have this. This is why amazon has a different cover from the one we got about new york. It may be even be why serebii didn't post anything about it.

And one more thing, you can just ignore this.
いぇーい、にちゃんねらさん達見てるぅ?^^ 調子に乗らないでね^^

Grei
7th September 2010, 1:03 AM
Ok, so for those of you that don't know yet, the whole NY thing may be fake. Apparently the "clearer cover" was supposed to be "the beta cover," which makes no sense why some random news fan site would have this. This is why amazon has a different cover from the one we got about new york. It may be even be why serebii didn't post anything about it.

And one more thing, you can just ignore this.
いぇーい、にちゃんねらさん達見てるぅ?^^ 調子に乗らないでね^^

Regardless, a beta cover is a cover. It would not have false information.

EDIT: Augh, what horrible sentence structure. I shall omit one of those 'regardless'es.

NightmareLudicolo
7th September 2010, 1:12 AM
Regardless, a beta cover is a cover regardless. It would not have false information.
that's not my point. my point is that why would a random fan site be the one to get a beta cover? no other site except this one has this.

Oh well, I just came and informed that it may be fake. take it however you like.

pandastar16
7th September 2010, 1:18 AM
i really like this region and the upcoming events/pokemon/ect

NightmareLudicolo
7th September 2010, 1:26 AM
i really like this region and the upcoming events/pokemon/ect

me too.I'm really excited on the desert area.

Mewtwo_soul
7th September 2010, 1:32 AM
I doubt it, mostly becase it seems that team plasma has a knight theme, which we do not have in america.

I disagree slightly (then what was the point of asking the question I'll get to that) Victini, the island it is found, the location and place... The knights from Team Plasma IIRC someone hypothesized symbolized a reference to England/British compariosn to the revolution/war/etc.

If we want to get technical, the eagle (wargle) can represent the governmental seal (Eagle with rockets in one foot and so on) and the state bird./etc. Could be technnical points to history of America.

I just findi t relatively interesting if such is the case.

NightmareLudicolo
7th September 2010, 1:40 AM
hey, the cover itself may be fake, but it could still be New york.

I'm leaning for the theory about Isshu being a mix of different country's into one.

Tyrant Tar
7th September 2010, 6:10 AM
It seems a bit odd they'd base a whole region on a geographically small area. I'd expect it to be based on an entire state (or even a group of them, like New England). Then again, it's New York...

HoennMaster
7th September 2010, 7:10 AM
Answer: Nobody knows. Infact, nobody will know until the games are out and we can examine all the locations closely and compare them to real world areas.

That's not going to do you any good, the regions just look like real world areas, they don't feature everything similar to the actually real world place.

There was just too much evidence supporting New York for me to doubt it.

No there wasn't. Other then Hiun City looking like the tip of Manhattan and the two rivers next to it, there was nothing to support the New York theory, and no the football player and Wargle are not evidence.

I'm actually disappointed. I always wanted Isshu to remain Japanese-based so this feels a bit like a slap across the face from the creators. What's wrong with another region based on Japan?

How is it a slap in the face? a lot of people have wanted to see regions based outside of Japan for a while. And honestly, all of the interesting looking Japanese locations have been used.

Basing Isshu on the U.S. makes it seem like they're rejecting their culture just so that the games will fit-in better in other nations.

Again, how? Pokémon is the second best selling video game franchise in the world. Rejecting non-Japan cultures would be worse.

Saph
7th September 2010, 12:43 PM
No there wasn't. Other then Hiun City looking like the tip of Manhattan and the two rivers next to it, there was nothing to support the New York theory, and no the football player and Wargle are not evidence.
Who says they're not evidence? You? I'm going to keep using them as evidence, thank you.

Chimchar15
7th September 2010, 1:15 PM
Turning their back on their culture?1 It's a game!!! How's that turning their back on their culture? If you don't like New York that's fine but there's nothing wrong with basing the game's region on another real world location.

kemal07
7th September 2010, 2:06 PM
So glad the whole 'where is Isshu based on' speculations over. At first I thought it could be New York but as soon as we got the name of 'Liberty Tower'. I immediatly thought Liberty Island/Statue of Liberty which was a sort of giveaway, but anyway I'm happy this is all cleared.

StrongBad456
7th September 2010, 2:53 PM
Oh forgive me sir, it's just that it seems a bit harsh to base Isshu on a country that enslaved an entire race of people, that I just so happen to be related to, for about 246 years (give or take a few). I don't see how that's "liberty" and "justice" when it's clearly the opposite and it's oppression in the most cruelest form imaginable. That's why I believe it's just a bad concept and Isshu should've been based on Japan. It is also why I believe that the regional villainous team, Team Plasma, is actually doing the opposite of what they say they're doing. Isshu seems totally oppressive rather than libertarian as you make it seem. It just doesn't seem to fit with the trends of the other regions we've seen in the past in my opinion. I liked the friendlier regions as opposed to Isshu which seems to go backwards.

Anyway, sorry to get emotionally moved. If you want to continue the discussion of American ideals, just send me a PM ;)

You need to actually pay attention to history because if you think only America had slaves you're mistaken. Europe also had slavery for many years. The America I know is a very free place. I wouldn't say it's the best but it's still a good country to live in. Just because you obviously have something against America doesn't mean they shouldn't branch out and use other countries as inspiration for a region.

Saph
7th September 2010, 4:27 PM
Who says they are evidence? You? Exactly, a two way street here.No, it doesn't work that way. If there are facts that support an argument then it counts as evidence, you can't just say "that's not evidence", you have to explain why they aren't relevant.
They aren't evidence on what a region is based on, based on that theory the other 493 pokémon could be used as speculation on what parts of the world the other regions were based on even though it was fairly obvious what they were based on.
Wargle ON IT'S OWN does not point to Isshu being New York, but when COMBINED with other factors, it does.

The evidence has to be taken as a whole;

- Isshu is a region far away from previous regions. So anything outside of Japan is a candidate.
- Isshu's coastline resembles New York, but also Shanghai.
- Hiun City is a metropolis with skyscrapers and docks; one of the most famous cities of this kind is New York. Shanghai also has this; but nobody hears 'skyscrapers' and thinks 'Shanghai'.
- There are many bridges in Isshu. Both New York and Shanghai have bridges of this kind, but the bridges in Isshu are in locations that match with New York.
- American Football players exist in Isshu. Wargle takes the American symbol of a bald eagle, applies the colours of the American flag to it, and also adds a Native American headdress to it. Victini, the Victory Pokemon. Makes the 'V for Victory' sign, an icon of World War II, a large part of American history. So there is American culture present. There is very little, if any, Chinese culture.
- Victini is obtained with the Liberty Ticket, which takes you to the Liberty Tower. 'Liberty' is a big part of American ideals and morals. It also fits with the Statue of Liberty, a New York landmark. Which brings us to:
- Liberty Tower is on an island offshore Hiun City. Just like Liberty Island is an island offshore New York.

The facts all build on each other, if you take them on their own then you can disregard them, but by doing that you are missing the bigger picture.

ShinyShelgon
7th September 2010, 5:28 PM
San Francisco also has docks (pier 39 anyone), skyscrapers (transamerica tower), bridges (golden gate / bay bridge) and an offshore island (alcatraz).

It could be based upon any number of cities.

EDIT: oh and Kira don't go getting righteous about America being a big bad country. Try naming any country that doesn't have a history of slavery.... I bet you'll find it difficult. America nowadays is actually one of the most influential countries that promotes equality. Also you can't make claims that Isshu seems oppressive... it's a bleeming imaginary region in the land of pokemon!! It's bound to be an egalitarian, utopian world where flowers and sunshine are everywhere.

I think if anybody is getting heated about Isshu then they just need to take a chill pill. Sheesh.

Sparkyperson
7th September 2010, 5:29 PM
I'm sorry, but without any actual proof, all of that is nothing but biased opinion. If you want to believe it's based on New York, you can easily find ways to convince yourself, just like you could on anything you want to believe.

Just because you can conclude something is symbolic, doesn't mean it necessarily is.

That said, I've nothing wrong with Isshu being New York, I'd just rather avoid the huge amounts of self-entitlement this would cause in all the ignorant "It should be based in america because we are it's biggest market" types out their, who would then dismiss the chance of any future regions being based on anywhere other than America or possibly Japan and moan if GameFreak even try representing anywhere else in the world.

HoennMaster
7th September 2010, 6:27 PM
Exactly, there are many ways to look at things. And I agree, Wargle on it's own is not evidence, but not a single person until you has actually backed that claim up.

Saph
7th September 2010, 7:19 PM
San Francisco also has docks (pier 39 anyone), skyscrapers (transamerica tower), bridges (golden gate / bay bridge) and an offshore island (alcatraz).This is all true, except for one thing; San Francisco looks nothing like Isshu. And while it has an offshore island, the similarities between the B/W's Liberty Tower and New York's Liberty Island are far more compelling than Alcatraz. This is my point; you can pick and choose which points to disprove all you want, but that doesn't disprove them when they are together.

I'm sorry, but without any actual proof, all of that is nothing but biased opinion. If you want to believe it's based on New York, you can easily find ways to convince yourself, just like you could on anything you want to believe.And how am I biased?

I don't live in New York. I've never been to New York. I don't even live in America, and frankly, I wish that the games had stayed with Japanese regions. I don't WANT it to be New York, but it's just so OBVIOUS that it's New York.

You want proof? Unless someone from Game Freak tells us, we won't get it. So all we can do is make observations.

Just because you can conclude something is symbolic, doesn't mean it necessarily is.And just saying "well it might not be" doesn't weaken my points in any way.

That said, I've nothing wrong with Isshu being New York, I'd just rather avoid the huge amounts of self-entitlement this would cause in all the ignorant "It should be based in america because we are it's biggest market" types out their, who would then dismiss the chance of any future regions being based on anywhere other than America or possibly Japan and moan if GameFreak even try representing anywhere else in the world.That means you have an agenda, which makes you biased in this argument.

Arceus, The Original One
7th September 2010, 7:29 PM
You want proof? Unless someone from Game Freak tells us, we won't get it. So all we can do is make observations.

Are you forgetting that Pokémon Pia, revealed that the game's setting, Isshu is based on New York?

mitchman_93
7th September 2010, 7:30 PM
Could be fake though, and if it isn't, its speculation on the writer part. But likely cause Masuda said in the interview that oh gee, looking at new york, we just KNEW it had to be a region.

V Faction
7th September 2010, 7:32 PM
That said, I've nothing wrong with Isshu being New York, I'd just rather avoid the huge amounts of self-entitlement this would cause in all the ignorant "It should be based in america because we are it's biggest market" types out their, who would then dismiss the chance of any future regions being based on anywhere other than America or possibly Japan and moan if GameFreak even try representing anywhere else in the world.

Who exactly has those thoughts? Can you point me towards a person like that? Cause it sounds like it was pulled out of thin air.

What I'm most curious about Isshu, which was never resolved with Kanto and Johto, is... what's beyond the green hills and rocky mountains? What lies North? How far does the traverse expand? Where's the cutoff line? What shape is the land in which we explore?

Those are the kinds of questions I'm curious about. We never got to see what was West of Johto, beyond Cianwood (but we did get to see more of it), even IF there was something. We've never been to the northern shores of the land, always in the southern region. Both Hoenn and Sinnoh were no help because they were essentially their own pieces. The real world Ksyuushuu and Hokkaido are like that too. I had wanted to know what was beyond.

With Isshu, I'm thinking the same exact thing. Is there more to it in the West that we can't see? Is there anything below the region to the south, or are we on the eastern coast again like Kanto? What lies north, cause all I see are endless trees. I'm very curious and I'm hopeful that playing the games will expand on the geography of this new place, if not the sequels.

Saph
7th September 2010, 7:38 PM
Could be fake though, and if it isn't, its speculation on the writer part. But likely cause Masuda said in the interview that oh gee, looking at new york, we just KNEW it had to be a region.
Is there a link to this interview?

mitchman_93
7th September 2010, 7:40 PM
No link, its in the magazine which is out on the 10th. I just guessed, hello!

Lorde
7th September 2010, 7:41 PM
I'm just going to assume that every single rumor out there is true and that Isshu is really based on New York despite how much it pains me to say it. I don't like it but there's hardly anything anyone can do about it now. Hopefully, if it doesn't increase the hype for Pokemon worldwide like the creators expect it to, they can learn from their mistake and base the future featured regions on more suitable real world locations. In my opinion, I just think Isshu deserved better than New York.

mitchman_93
7th September 2010, 7:42 PM
Upstate New York will obviously be the next region. That, or Jersey. And no one love's Jersey.

Tropios
7th September 2010, 7:43 PM
I'm just going to assume that every single rumor out there is true and that Isshu is really based on New York despite how much it pains me to say it. I don't like it but there's hardly anything anyone can do about it now. Hopefully, if it doesn't increase the hype for Pokemon worldwide like the creators expect it to, they can learn from their mistake and base the future featured regions on more suitable real world locations. In my opinion, I just think Isshu deserved better than New York.

whats wrong with NY? i like it better than japan

V Faction
7th September 2010, 7:43 PM
Just FYI, the magazine cover that was leaked with the statement about Isshu being New York wasn't real, mitch. In case that's what you're going on.

mitchman_93
7th September 2010, 7:51 PM
Just FYI, the magazine cover that was leaked with the statement about Isshu being New York wasn't real, mitch. In case that's what you're going on.
Yeah, and when was that confirmed?

V Faction
7th September 2010, 8:07 PM
Yeah, and when was that confirmed?
You mean for the magazine or for it being fake?

Here's Archaic's post on Bulbagarden:

Some info for people.

Pokémon Pia is not an official magazine. It's authorised by the Pokémon company but is unofficial. It's independent media.
It is printed by Pia group - http://www.pia.co.jp/ - http://piabook.com/shop/contents1/pokemon.aspx
The article is pure speculation on the part of its author, there are apparently no official sources quoted for anything stated in this particular article whatsoever.
Japanese fans have already criticised it in its coverage of the region debate because of the lack of sources, and because it doesn't cover any of the other theories at all.

And then:

Hmmm...allow me to correct my previous post, it seems I may have misunderstood some people. I thought they were saying there were no sources in the article. What they were saying was there was no legitimate source for the article even existing.

2ch is saying that the cover that was shown by gamememo is a fake. The first of the images below is the real cover, which doesn't mention this at all.

Quote:
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c%2BfPmQdbL._SS350_.jpg
↑これが本当の表紙だぞ。

http://www.gamememo.com/image/news/2010/09/06/issyu-new-york.gif

Mario with Lasers
7th September 2010, 8:39 PM
Oh forgive me sir, it's just that it seems a bit harsh to base Isshu on a country that enslaved an entire race of people, that I just so happen to be related to, for about 246 years (give or take a few).

Jesus Christ are you seriously bringing slavery into the equation lol. Have you ever, EVER heard or read about what Japan did during WWII? Ask the Chinese, or the Korean. I'm sure they'll love to tell you a thing or two about the Japanese army. Every single country in Europe has had slavery, there was (and is???) slavery in Africa, Stalin wasn't exactly the most freedom-enthusiastic leader a country could hope for, the Muslim also had slaves. If we were to not use a country for inspiration to a videogame due to them having done something mortally wrong in the past, we wouldn't have any country to base ourselves on.

And 246 years? Brazil had, like, 300 years of both native and black people slavery. Would you say they should never make a Pok&#233;mon generation inspired by Brazil based just on that, even knowing that Brazil has unparalleled biodiversity and a region inspired by it could be truly gigantic and have something like 500 pok&#233;mon? Nah.

ShinyShelgon
7th September 2010, 8:54 PM
Who exactly has those thoughts? Can you point me towards a person like that? Cause it sounds like it was pulled out of thin air.

What I'm most curious about Isshu, which was never resolved with Kanto and Johto, is... what's beyond the green hills and rocky mountains? What lies North? How far does the traverse expand? Where's the cutoff line? What shape is the land in which we explore?

Those are the kinds of questions I'm curious about. We never got to see what was West of Johto, beyond Cianwood (but we did get to see more of it), even IF there was something. We've never been to the northern shores of the land, always in the southern region. Both Hoenn and Sinnoh were no help because they were essentially their own pieces. The real world Ksyuushuu and Hokkaido are like that too. I had wanted to know what was beyond.

With Isshu, I'm thinking the same exact thing. Is there more to it in the West that we can't see? Is there anything below the region to the south, or are we on the eastern coast again like Kanto? What lies north, cause all I see are endless trees. I'm very curious and I'm hopeful that playing the games will expand on the geography of this new place, if not the sequels.

I never said that :I

V Faction
7th September 2010, 11:13 PM
I never said that :I
Sorry, I quoted incorrectly.

kemal07
8th September 2010, 1:23 AM
Why is everyone taking this whole 'Isshu' thing into another debate. This is about Isshu so no point in talking about slavery.

pokemasterultra
8th September 2010, 4:17 AM
This region looks really cool I can't wait till this comes out

Lorde
8th September 2010, 4:32 AM
This region looks really cool I can't wait till this comes out

*Nods* It does look to be more interesting. I once said it looked more like N's puzzle cube since it seems to be composed of several pieces from other regions but if I'm being honest with myself and I'm paying attention to the new theme that's been apparently confirmed; that makes some sense. New York or more particularly, New York City seems to incorporate all sorts of different cultures so it makes sense for most of Isshu to do the same.

FireEmblemAddict
8th September 2010, 4:43 AM
Im reeeeally hoping that at least one of those blue mountains on either side of the region is an ice-themed cave.
I love ice after all--

UseYourImagination
8th September 2010, 4:43 AM
Some of you are whining about how america had slavery and whatnot, but so did egypt and... wait a second... JAPAN had KOREAN slaves??? whodathunkit?
anyway, who cares what it's "based" on? that doesn't change that it's a completely fictional place. sinnoh looked identical to hokkaido, but it wasn't really anything like it as far as the places you went to and the fact that magical creatures lived there.

Ememew
8th September 2010, 4:56 AM
So, the region it's based on is back in the unconfirmed category?

Is EVERYTHING about this game going back and forth between confirmed, unconfirmed, and fake for some reason? Oh, well . . . less than two weeks to go (earlier if we get some leaks, unless those leaks are thrown into question too).

Ugh . . . at least what is confirmed looks good so far.

Lorde
8th September 2010, 5:04 AM
Some of you are whining about how america had slavery and whatnot, but so did egypt and... wait a second... JAPAN had KOREAN slaves??? whodathunkit?
anyway, who cares what it's "based" on? that doesn't change that it's a completely fictional place. sinnoh looked identical to hokkaido, but it wasn't really anything like it as far as the places you went to and the fact that magical creatures lived there.

Ok but you might want to read this (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world). I think it's very enlightening since it shows how many of the fictional regions from Pokemon are actually very similar to the places found in the real world location the region is based off of. One example jumps to mind: Jubilife City in Sinnoh is based on Sapporo City in Hokkaido; it's largest city which is located in the exact same place as the ingame location. So saying that the Pokemon regions aren't really anything like the location they're based off of is kind of invalid :S

This proves that Pokemon regions are heavily based on their real world counterpart, at least in terms of geography and not so much the "magical creatures" part. If we are to assume that the Isshu region is really based on New York and America as a whole, then it seems to indicate that it'll take some trends and locations from that area of the world.

HoennMaster
8th September 2010, 7:21 AM
Why is everyone taking this whole 'Isshu' thing into another debate. This is about Isshu so no point in talking about slavery.

The 4th Kira brought it up, were responding.

You need to read this (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok&#37;C3%A9mon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world). I think it's very enlightening since it shows how many of the fictional regions from Pokemon are actually very similar to the places found in the real world location the region is based off of. One example jumps to mind: Jubilife City in Sinnoh is based on Sapporo City in Hokkaido; it's largest city which is located in the exact same place as the ingame location. So saying that the Pokemon regions aren't really anything like the location they're based off of is kind of invalid :S

This proves that Pokemon regions are heavily based on their real world counterpart, at least in terms of geography and not so much the "magical creatures" part. If we are to assume that the Isshu region is really based on New York and America as a whole, then it seems to indicate that it'll take some trends and locations from that area of the world.

Having the largest city based in the same location far from qualifies it from being heavily based on the real world place. Take Cherrygrove City, it's a small town place where it's real world counterpart is huge.

Saph
8th September 2010, 1:25 PM
Having the largest city based in the same location far from qualifies it from being heavily based on the real world place. Take Cherrygrove City, it's a small town place where it's real world counterpart is huge.
So you didn't read his link, you just took his one example and tried to debunk it.

You can't pick one piece of evidence, say that's not enough, ignore the rest and then come to a conclusion. That's shoddy deductive skills.

Lorde
8th September 2010, 1:31 PM
Is EVERYTHING about this game going back and forth between confirmed, unconfirmed, and fake for some reason? Oh, well . . . less than two weeks to go (earlier if we get some leaks, unless those leaks are thrown into question too).

Wait I thought it was already confirmed to be based on New York, hence my previous posts about it and why several people seemed to be talking about it and how it was a good thing. When did it suddely change to unconfirmed again? That's just annoying, we never seem to get any proper confirmation. If Isshu isn't based on New York, what else could it be based upon?

I realize that now. But the example I provided isn't the only one out there. There are tons of other examples on that list I linked everyone to. I just can't list them all since it would take all night to explain every single similarity at this point. There are other examples, and if anyone is truly curious about it, they can click the link and see for themselves. I can't possibly do it all myself. I just wanted people to note that some locations in the games are very similar to their real world locations despite what critics claim. Which is why the same will most likely be true for Isshu (I mean, Hiun City does look like NYC afterall).

EDIT: People, I apologize for my earlier comment. It was meant to list reasons why America wouldn't be the ideal basis for Isshu or Pokemon Black and White in general. I just wish people wouldn't have taken it so seriously. It's just a game.

Arceus, The Original One
8th September 2010, 4:55 PM
Does anyone think Isshu will be a tropical region?

HoennMaster
8th September 2010, 5:11 PM
So you didn't read his link, you just took his one example and tried to debunk it.

You can't pick one piece of evidence, say that's not enough, ignore the rest and then come to a conclusion. That's shoddy deductive skills.

I've looked at the link numerous times in past. And he picked one piece of evidence to post here, the same as I did. I didn't ignore the rest at all. Your assuming. I'm just pointing out they aren't always similar. In fact, a lot of those are only similar in location, not actual size. So there is more then one piece of evidence there. I only used one, just like Kira did.

I just wish people wouldn't have taken it so seriously. It's just a game.

If it's just a game then why'd your bring them up?

cranberries
8th September 2010, 5:16 PM

No, probally not. It has a desert in the middle of it. It's most likely simi arid or somthing like that. Mabey outside the mountains it's tropical.

D*N
8th September 2010, 5:22 PM

A tropical region with snow?:O
Don't think so!
I think it isn't really tropical or non-tropical.
There's snow, but also a dessert.