PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Ophie
19th October 2010, 10:02 PM
Had another thought thinking about the last thing I mentioned here: The Spanish-speaking Pokémon fans must have been giggling for a LONG while when Kojondo's name was released. What is its breakdown in Japanese?

Aurath8
19th October 2010, 10:07 PM
Hmmm...I'll buy the english version of the game and I wanna plan my team...the thing is I absolutely love Kenhorou's design but it seems it doesn't learn many physical moves by lvl up wich is a shame cuz it has a decent attack stat.Are TM's like U-Turn and Return available early?

In every region I have a favourite flying pkmn/bird but in this region I dunno...I like Kenhorou but it has a horrible movepool,I also like Wargle but u find it very late in the game,Kokoromori is nice but has crappy stats even for ingame battles,Archeos is cool but there's something I don't like about it,Swana is too girly...even for me>.>

I dunno...

Goruugu can learn fly, despite not having the flying type, levitate or massive obviousness of flight(Reshiram). It's prevo doesn't learn fly and evolves at lvl 45 though. It's probably a smart idea to use on until you get th flyer you want. I just realised this gens flying types are very limited.
Return is at the Raimon pokemart for 10,000 'dollars. u-turn is post elite 4 though.

Lorde
19th October 2010, 10:11 PM
Had another thought thinking about the last thing I mentioned here: The Spanish-speaking Pokémon fans must have been giggling for a LONG while when Kojondo's name was released. What is its breakdown in Japanese?

Well this is what I found:

Kojondo's name might be a combination of オコジョ okojo, the Japanese word for an ermine, and Taekwondo. It is also likely to be a skewed form of Kokondo, a form of Japanese-based martial arts founded in the United States.

Not sure if it's all that accurate but it seems to fit. Um, what would be funny about Kojondo's name, anyway?

Ophie
19th October 2010, 10:27 PM
All right, I'll make it direct: Kojondo's name sounds very similar to "cojones," which is a Spanish-language swear word that means testicles. Of course, the J in Kojondo's name is pronounced the same as it would in English (as in "jelly"), whereas the J in "cojones" is pronounced as the Spanish J (as in "frijoles").

Whenever I see Kojondo's name, I think of that swear word. It makes me slightly uncomfortable to see people throwing it around. (I surmise the amount of native Spanish speakers here must be very small, since it's taken all the way until now for the idea to get brought up.)

BCVM22
19th October 2010, 10:34 PM
Or it could just be that the words, for their appearances, aren't all that similar.

s2daam
19th October 2010, 10:36 PM
Can someone tell me why the official artworks didn't appear on the official site this month? I know the ice bears is, but I kinda expected more.

I'm really eager to see more sugimori artwork!

Lorde
19th October 2010, 10:40 PM
All right, I'll make it direct: Kojondo's name sounds very similar to "cojones," which is a Spanish-language swear word that means testicles. Of course, the J in Kojondo's name is pronounced the same as it would in English (as in "jelly"), whereas the J in "cojones" is pronounced as the Spanish J (as in "frijoles").

Whenever I see Kojondo's name, I think of that swear word. It makes me slightly uncomfortable to see people throwing it around. (I surmise the amount of native Spanish speakers here must be very small, since it's taken all the way until now for the idea to get brought up.)

Oh. That. I speak some Spanish, but would never have connected "cojones" with Kojondo lol. I don't think it was ever brought up before so you're the first to talk about it here. Anyway, while researching Kojondo's name, I discovered that it's family based on stoats, which are small weasel-like animals apparently (though I don't see it in Kojondo really). I love stoats now! They're so cute! I think Kojofu looks more like a stoat though; Kojondo just looks like an bigger, elongated cat and not a small little stoat.

Ophie
19th October 2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I just have a tendency to mentally pronounce J's in the middle of foreign words as the Spanish J, so I immediately thought of that word. (In this case, I always read Kojondo's name as "koh-HOHN-doh" first.)

Stoats are quite cute, though if I recall correctly, they're related to weasels.

anotherpromise
19th October 2010, 11:03 PM
Anyone like a new Pokemon they used to despise?

I used to HATE Candle/Chandelier ghosty, but I loves him now, can't explain why o.o

Lorde
19th October 2010, 11:07 PM
I found some images of stoats (http://cute-n-tiny.com/cute-animals/top-10-cutest-stoats/)! I think I might die :3

I used to HATE Candle/Chandelier ghosty, but I loves him now, can't explain why o.o

Hmm, I believe I've complained about half of them by now, so I rather not get too into it. Basically, if it's not cute, I don't like it. Though I wonder, why did you dislike those candle-based Ghost-type Pokemon? I like them all actually. They have a unique type combination, they're pretty cool appearance-wise, and their final form is used by Shikimi; Pokemon's fan-fiction writer :]

Aurath8
19th October 2010, 11:12 PM

I suppose we all hated the new pokemon once. Just over a month later I and many others love every one to bits. It's how the pokemon fandom works.
If this were it's own thread that would /thread

anotherpromise
19th October 2010, 11:14 PM
I found some images of stoats (http://cute-n-tiny.com/cute-animals/top-10-cutest-stoats/)! I think I might die :3

Hmm, I believe I've complained about half of them by now, so I rather not get too into it. Basically, if it's not cute, I don't like it. Though I wonder, why did you dislike those candle-based Ghost-type Pokemon? I like them all actually. They have a unique type combination, they're pretty cool appearance-wise, and their final form is used by Shikimi; Pokemon's fan-fiction writer :]
I don't really know why I didn't, probably because I typically don't like Pokemon based off items or appliances *looks at Rotom's possession forms*

But lately I've been getting really into dark/ghost Pokemon, and going back through the Isshu dex, I just kinda fell for it xD

Wallaroo42
20th October 2010, 12:25 AM
Lol at the one ferret in the stoat images XD

So Kojondo is pretty officially a stoat based on the name, eh? Just increases my desire to create an all-weasel team. They already have fire, water, ice/dark and now fighting weasels. Throw in a furret for good measure and that's almost a full team of mustelids XD

As for pokemon I hated that I like now it's gotta be mijumaru. That one that picks on Ash's pikachu did it for me... man I hate Ash and his pikachu XD

TheAncient
20th October 2010, 12:40 AM
Originally, I hated mijumaru with every fiber in my being. But now....I can't get enough of him. I adore that thing to death.

Wallaroo42
20th October 2010, 1:51 AM
I think mijumaru grew on a lot of us that way. Though he's still my least favorite of the 1st stage starters... and in the 3rd form he's my least fave too. Probably my fav in the middle stage though. How strange.

I'm glad I can say I like ALL the starters this time around. That hasn't happened since gen 2 for me.

Lorde
20th October 2010, 2:54 AM
Originally, I hated mijumaru with every fiber in my being. But now....I can't get enough of him. I adore that thing to death.

Really? How could you have hated Mijumaru? It's always been the cutest Isshu Starter. Tsutarja and Pokabu got all of the love at first, then Mijumaru overtook Pokabu, and now it seems like Mijumaru has overtaken Tsutarja. I think that the anime has had an impact on how the Isshu Starters are viewed. I urge Mijumaru-haters to watch 5 minutes of Pokemon Best Wishes. There's no way anyone could watch Mijumaru in the anime and still hate it. It's inconceivable :S

R_N
20th October 2010, 3:28 AM
Part of me still wishes Daikenki did the haters gonna hate strut

He's really grown on me overall, though I still wish the middle stage handled the otter -> sea lion transition better. Also maybe if Dai had a bit more shell armor on him, maybe on his back?

[aka]
20th October 2010, 3:39 AM
He's even cuter in the anime. x3

I used to HATE Daikenki's design enough to want to get Jalorda--but now I love it. :D

Kreis
20th October 2010, 3:42 AM
Does anyone roll their eyes every time The 4th Kira posts? I can't seem to stop doing it.

____

Can anyone tell me the name of the grass-type cotton Sheep Pokemon? I don't know all of the Ishhu Pokemon yet.

Missingno.Fan
20th October 2010, 3:46 AM
I have a question. I know that the Pokedex is based on seeing them all and not catching them all. According to the guide on Serebii, there are some Pokemon that you can not see in duals, such as Wargle's pre-evo. If you were playing Black does that mean you have to trade for it just to get it in the dex?

Lorde
20th October 2010, 3:53 AM
;11720433']He's even cuter in the anime. x3

I used to HATE Daikenki's design enough to want to get Jalorda--but now I love it. :D

I believe it was this (http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/Kira-man/MijumaruknocksdownPikachu.gif) scene that made me fall in love with Mijumaru. I had already liked the little otter beforehand since it was so cute-looking, but that scene in the gif just sort of sealed the deal for me. As for it's final evolved form; I had one on my team and it's dead-useful so I think you can deduce how I feel about it. The only one I have no feelings for is Futachimaru. I only had mine for a day and a half before it evolved, so I didn't get used to it very much.

Exodd
20th October 2010, 3:56 AM
Can anyone tell me the name of the grass-type cotton Sheep Pokemon? I don't know all of the Ishhu Pokemon yet.

Erufuun?
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/547.png

R_N
20th October 2010, 4:01 AM
Does anyone roll their eyes every time The 4th Kira posts? I can't seem to stop doing it.

____

I believe you're talking about Erufuun

Kreis
20th October 2010, 4:09 AM
Erufuun?
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/547.png

I believe you're talking about Erufuun

That's the one, thank you.. I just looked it up and it's a very speedy Pokemon, isn't it? Very useful abilities, too.

Aether13
20th October 2010, 4:14 AM
I have a question. I know that the Pokedex is based on seeing them all and not catching them all. According to the guide on Serebii, there are some Pokemon that you can not see in duals, such as Wargle's pre-evo. If you were playing Black does that mean you have to trade for it just to get it in the dex?

No, if you battle a trainer with a pokemon you haven't seen yet then you also see that Pokemon in the dex.

Mario with Lasers
20th October 2010, 4:50 AM
Just you wait, Best Wishes may have made Mijumaru slightly more popular than Tsutarja but once it appears in all its glory going all Robespierre on everyone, not even Pikachu will stand out anymore >:|

You'll get used to it one day ~__~

That's the one, thank you.. I just looked it up and it's a very speedy Pokemon, isn't it? Very useful abilities, too.

Morelike it's a bastard. As if its MH Stun Spore wasn't bad enough, it can Encore random crap and then U-Turn to Shadow Tag Shandera to kill it off. It's not even funny lol

Gear. I hated it at first for obvious reasons, but then I stopped caring once the game was about to be released. Once I got my hands on one ingame... Well, it still sucks. But hey, it's a Steel-type with a Meteor Mash clone! Awesome enough, imo. It's a shame its evolutions are so... crappy... and it has zero movepool, though. Once I saw its stats and signature moves, I really wanted to use it competitively. Oh well.

Gigaiasu is a close second. I found it pretty uninteresting back when it was revealed in July, but then the game was released and I saw its stats and its usefulness both ingame and competitively and... Well, it's awesome. Also, Tabunne has a cute cry and gives a shitload of EXP, so I started liking her too lol. Chillarmy also became much more interesting to me when we got to know its evolution's stats. He's not useless, who could tell?

One the other hand, I like Shandera a *bit* less now. Every single Shandera I find on Pokémon-Online has Shadow Tag, and they ALWAYS appear when I accidentally choose the wrong tier on PO, or was thrown in on the DW tier by lack of correct tiering info (derp Magic Mirror Espeon is illegal deeerp). C'mon guys give me a ****ing break, ST Shandera won't exist for probably a year or two, leave me alone.

The only one I used to dislike and still do is Rankurusu. I found it interesting back in July, but Gochiruzeru looked so much more ~awesome~ I couldn't stand they gave the blob Magic friggin' Guard, while Gochi got... Frisk. Yeah **** you Game Freak, your Magic Room+Frisk gimmick is dumb, I hate you. Also, Rankurusu got yet ANOTHER awesome ability in DW, while Gochiruzeru got the best one in existence, but has problems to put it to good use (not as bad as I've posted about before, but still not optimal!). Anyway, Rankurusu doesn't even need Regeneration from DW to screw me over lol, the bastard has immunity to hazards/Toxic and learns Trick Room, of all things. Seriously, Trick Rooms are actually GOOD this time around, with Stone Pory2/Dusclops, and Rankurusu simply doesn't make it any easier for me. I think I'm gonna put a Gigaiasu somewhere only to outspeed the blob lol.

Oh wait, it learns Focus Blast. **** you, Rankurusu.

Also, **** Barujina too, I hate that Lovecraftian horror excuse for a pokémon. If it weren't for her, Wargle would not be male-only and then it would have Egg moves. Ack.

EDIT -- Dream World also reminded me why I never really liked Blaziken...

R_N
20th October 2010, 4:58 AM
BOW DOWN BEFORE THE MIGHT THAT IS RANKING(URUSU)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also everyone everyone Iwaparesu is the best Pokemon
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/3/30/558Iwaparesu_Dream.png/180px-558Iwaparesu_Dream.png
He's all "OH MAN OH GOD HOW DID THIS HAPPEN THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN"

"help meeeee"

Nacreous
20th October 2010, 6:01 AM

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/3/30/558Iwaparesu_Dream.png/180px-558Iwaparesu_Dream.png

"help meeeee"

Lol XD

I kinda like its pre-evo more cuz it's so cute^^

Chimchar15
20th October 2010, 6:23 AM

"help meeeee"

I love this guy. He have a nice movepool and looks awesome. He's definitely going on my team.

Ophie
20th October 2010, 6:24 AM
He had angry eyes in his sprite. It was like he was saying, "So I got slabs on my back. You wanna make something of it?"

Morelike it's a bastard. As if its MH Stun Spore wasn't bad enough, it can Encore random crap and then U-Turn to Shadow Tag Shandera to kill it off. It's not even funny lol

If it's not funny, ten why are you laughing?

R_N
20th October 2010, 6:28 AM
The 5th generation has slowly made MwL lose his mind, ophie.

King Slaking
20th October 2010, 6:31 AM
I have to say, Mijumaru kind of looks like Piplup.

King Slaking
20th October 2010, 6:34 AM
I have to say, Mijumaru kind of looks like Piplup.

BCVM22
20th October 2010, 6:43 AM
Not really. They have a similar silhouette and that's about it. Pose Squirtle right and you could make the same claim.

Altaria Mist
20th October 2010, 8:14 AM
Otter=/='Pingu'=/=Turtle=/=Crocodile! So what if the silhouette is similar? It's clear to see they're different Pokemon!

Lorde
20th October 2010, 10:06 AM

First of all, I love how clean it looks, I wish all of the other Dream World Pokemon were as cleaned-up as this one. Iwaparesu looks to be a brighter red in it's Dream World artwork than it is in it's Black and White sprite. That's one of the things about this type of artwork that I find odd; why the change in color tone? I'll never understand it, though Iwaparesu isn't the only victim. Other than thought slight oddity, it looks pretty funny. It looks to be in some sort of pain with that rock on it's back.

LexSuicune
20th October 2010, 2:07 PM
That Iwaparesu art looks amazing, is it official? It's not sugimori right?

Lorde
20th October 2010, 2:12 PM

I'm assuming it's the Dream World artwork since the file name contains the word "dream" in it. I'm 90% it's not Ken Sugimori's work anyway; he's a true artist who puts his heart and soul into his pieces and that Iwaparesu artwork, though cute and funny to look at, isn't all that great. In related news, I just noticed that "paresu" sounds a lot like Paras. Coincidence?

Endless
20th October 2010, 2:28 PM
It is the official Dream World art, you can see more here: Bulbagarden Archives-Dream World artwork (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_Dream_World_artwork)

davidxrawr
20th October 2010, 2:34 PM
I wish daikenki was primarily a physical attacker. It learns so many great att moves in comparison to sp. att moves.

Also how would you rate the usefulness of the grass and water monkeys?

FireEmblemAddict
20th October 2010, 3:59 PM
I wish daikenki was primarily a physical attacker. It learns so many great att moves in comparison to sp. att moves.

Uhhh low... theyre really not that special. Pretty average.

Slowemperor
20th October 2010, 9:08 PM
I was taking a look at the Dream World art and this guys seem to have a somewhat different colour tone.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c7/565Abagoura_Dream.png
"Blue-er"

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/db/563Desukaan_Dream.png
Paler yellow

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/62/579Rankurusu_Dream.png
Darker Green

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b5/596Denchura_Dream.png
Seems different don't know exactly why

This art looks amazing though. Different and brighter, but made me like more a lot of pokemon, like Basarao (I dislike him a little less now).

Aurath8
20th October 2010, 9:37 PM

Yanakkie is fairly useful. It's the best physical Isshu grass type mar maybe Jaroda with Coil. It has a good physical movepool too.
Hiyakkie also stands out as the best spcial-based Isshu water type in terms of stats. Nasty Plot, Surf, Ice Beam and Grass knot turn it into a great water type.
Their defences are pretty bad though but their speed and (relative to other pokemon of the same type) good attack power means they will be chasing team places. Unfortunately the two monkeys not at the Site of Dreams are very rare, only found in forests in shaking grass 10% of the time.

Lorde
20th October 2010, 9:38 PM
I was taking a look at the Dream World art and this guys seem to have a somewhat different colour tone.

This art looks amazing though. Different and brighter, but made me like more a lot of pokemon, like Basarao (I dislike him a little less now).

Yeah, you're not the only one to notice:

Iwaparesu looks to be a brighter red in it's Dream World artwork than it is in it's Black and White sprite. That's one of the things about this type of artwork that I find odd; why the change in color tone? I'll never understand it, though Iwaparesu isn't the only victim.

I think it's just the style of art being used that makes some of the Pokemon look slightly off-colored. Not that it's a bad thing per se, it just looks odd at first glance. I'll wait for the Ken Sugimori artwork though, since that's always a bit more accurate than the other styles of Pokemon artwork out there. Rankurusu looks cute in bright green though :)

Mario with Lasers
20th October 2010, 11:12 PM
If it's not funny, ten why are you laughing?

Well, Snowyarticuno summed it up.

R_N
21st October 2010, 1:00 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/c/c1/600Gigiaru_Dream.png/120px-600Gigiaru_Dream.png
ohhhh the black dots are eyes and the white thing is the mouth. Well that makes me appreciate it a little more. Wish the big gear was the forefront of the design though

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/41/613Kumasyun_Dream.png/84px-613Kumasyun_Dream.png
So ridiculously even more adorable

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/4/4c/593Burungel_Pink_Dream.png/120px-593Burungel_Pink_Dream.png
Female burungel will never not be hilarious

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/d/de/514Baokkie_Dream.png/109px-514Baokkie_Dream.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/f/f9/516Hiyakkie_Dream.png/110px-516Hiyakkie_Dream.png
These two pieces make me like them a lot more. I think these should have been the default poses. Baokkie in particular looks much better with his hands down like that

[aka]
21st October 2010, 1:48 AM
What they did to Agirudaa makes me sad..
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/da/617Agirudaa_Dream.png
Well, at least we can see his arms now. >.>
Also: Does Mogurew look like a helicopter to anyone else?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/31/529Mogurew_Dream.png

Lorde
21st October 2010, 2:00 AM
;11721875']What they did to Agirudaa makes me sad..

Well, at least we can see his arms now. >.>

Someone posted the Dream World artwork for Agirudaa a while ago, and my first reaction was something like yours. I think it looks a tad less like a ninja and more like a ghost now. I guess it sort of fits since Chobomaki's armor gets taken away by Kaburumo or something (I always assume it's died). But it's evolved form looks much less menacing now, regardless of the mechanic.

R_N
21st October 2010, 2:29 AM
Yeah, he looks somewhat ridiculous with his arms uncrossed, huh?

Ken Vanguine
21st October 2010, 2:32 AM
idk about any of you but i STILL cant get over how much i hate the starter evolutions

BCVM22
21st October 2010, 2:42 AM
idk about any of you but i STILL cant get over how much i hate the starter evolutions

Sorry to hear that.

[aka]
21st October 2010, 3:15 AM
Someone posted the Dream World artwork for Agirudaa a while ago, and my first reaction was something like yours. I think it looks a tad less like a ninja and more like a ghost now. I guess it sort of fits since Chobomaki's armor gets taken away by Kaburumo or something (I always assume it's died). But it's evolved form looks much less menacing now, regardless of the mechanic.
I too, thought he was ghosty--I'm actually disappointed the didn't make him a Bug/Ghost.

Royalty
21st October 2010, 4:58 AM

Why? You are one of the only people I know of that doesn't at least like one. Eh, oh well.

Ophie
21st October 2010, 6:40 AM
Whoa, those are some pretty big pictures.

The Ken Sugimori artwork is typically the set I'm least interested in seeing. The other official artists have their own interesting and creative interpretations of these Pokémon. It's really half the reason why I play the card game and put up with the ugly side of the tournaments: The illustrations in them are unmatched.

Hajime Kusajima's art is WAY more brightly colored than this, by the way. But it's because it's so vivid and happy that I enjoy Kusajima's illustrations as much as I do.

R_N
21st October 2010, 7:10 AM
Whoa, those are some pretty big pictures.

The Ken Sugimori artwork is typically the set I'm least interested in seeing. The other official artists have their own interesting and creative interpretations of these Pokémon. It's really half the reason why I play the card game and put up with the ugly side of the tournaments: The illustrations in them are unmatched.

Hajime Kusajima's art is WAY more brightly colored than this, by the way. But it's because it's so vivid and happy that I enjoy Kusajima's illustrations as much as I do.

I wish Sugimori got more chances to draw scenes and such. His Rotom artwork for Platinum was actually really neat, and some of his other scenes I've seen dotted about are neat as well. I think he drew the Battle Subway scene, and the Lyra & Eusine looking down at the Legendary Dogs
So who drew the Dream Art, I wonder?

Surely there's a credit somewhere on the Global Link site or something.

Ophie
21st October 2010, 9:11 AM
It's pretty easy to tell Sugimori's work from other artists, since they all have their distinctive styles of coloration, shading, line thickness and smoothness, and so forth. Mitsuhiro Arita loves Dutch angles, for instance.

Sugimori is usually incredibly lazy with the card game illustrations assigned to him though. Typically, he would take his pre-made artwork and put it in front of a background. It's great when he doesn't do it though.

I'm only able to follow patterns of illustrators who also do the card game's stuff, since credit is placed in plain sight. This may be someone entirely different. However, I can tell you with certainty that the current most active collaborators among the video game promotional artwork besides Sugimori, who also work on the trading card game, are Kanako Eo (very thick lines, cluttered layout, solid colors, and often chibi, such as the splash artwork for the Wi-Fi Plaza and the PokéWalker), Kouki Saitou (somewhat like Sugimori, but gentler in appearance and with smooth shading, with scrawny arms for human characters, such as all of the Pokémon Ranger artwork from the 2nd onward), Kent Kanetsuna (all 4th- and 5th-generation 3-D CGI work, like PBR and Poképark Adventure), and Kagemaru Himeno (variety of styles, but has a trademark of shading as if colored lights shine upon the subjects, such as the Mystery Dungeon artwork).

Of those four, Eo is the only one with even a remote possibility of having drawn the Dream World artwork, since the other four don't draw in the style as seen there, and Kanetsuna (the 3-D CGI guy) only joined in the 4th-generation.

Another likely artist I hadn't given much thought into is Kyoko Umemoto. Her style involves thick lines like these, and little to no shading, like these. Her contributions to the card game have also been fewer in number as of late, meaning she must be busy with something else. She is also occasionally credited on the Pokémon design team, which means she can work meticulously.

Royalty
21st October 2010, 7:26 PM
I actually like the dream world art a lot. I like how they look brighter and more vivid. It makes me think of my good dreams and how they are a lot brighter too.

I really really like how Abagoura looks too!

Lorde
21st October 2010, 7:40 PM
I actually like the dream world art a lot. I like how they look brighter and more vivid. It makes me think of my good dreams and how they are a lot brighter too.

Well, the Dream World artwork is a little more vivid than the Ken Sugimori artwork usually is. I suppose that's a good thing since it makes the Pokemon's features standout a bit more. Does anyone know the name of the possible artist? It's the same person who drew the PC artwork, but their name eludes me haha. I'd like to know more about them.

Aurath8
21st October 2010, 8:05 PM
It's almost as if the artist made the pokemon as perfect as possible and how he dreamt the pokemon should be. That explains the odd coulouration of some, compared to the sprites.

davidxrawr
21st October 2010, 9:56 PM
http://i51.*******.com/2eg5j50.jpg
I really like this picture :D

anyways...

Well the pokemon art that has been posted on the last few pages is it the official art. It looks okay but its too colorful and bubbly for my taste (if that makes sense). I would like darker and sharper images :p Anyways luckily theres lots of great gen V fan art out there ",

Lorde
21st October 2010, 10:59 PM
Well the pokemon art that has been posted on the last few pages is it the official art. It looks okay but its too colorful and bubbly for my taste (if that makes sense). I would like darker and sharper images :p Anyways luckily theres lots of great gen V fan art out there ",

Eww, that image always makes me think of the other snake Pokemon like Ekans who was known to eat Pidgey eggs. It's disturbing. Anyway, the Dream World artwork is supposed to be "bubbly" since the Dream World is a supposed to exist as a "dream". The art is supposed to look cuter I suppose. Not as accurate as the Ken Sugimori artwork usually is. I like the sharper artwork too, but this DW artwork is a nice little change. I love how Tsutarja looks in the Dream World; it doesn't look as arrogant as usual.

R_N
21st October 2010, 11:36 PM
Everyone knows Jalorda only eats the finest shiny Pidgeots, chained to perfection in the Sinnoh Region

gosh

gemini-saga
22nd October 2010, 1:40 AM
Pokemon Dream guide and old pokemon art

http://rpgland.com/my-pokemans/massive-pokemon-blackwhite-scan-update/#more-85212

R_N
22nd October 2010, 1:54 AM

http://rpgland.com/my-pokemans/massive-pokemon-blackwhite-scan-update/#more-85212

Hm, nothing new overall, but it seems to go into big details about Triple and more importantly Rotation battles.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of these translated.

Also Battrio is getting Rotom forms. Since I'm 90% sure those use PBR's models (but with a cel shaded filter), those are probably what they will look like in the eventual 5th gen 3D game.
...you know I never saw Battrio action shots before. ... It looks pretty cool. The 3D game should take a cue from it

Shneak
22nd October 2010, 2:54 AM
Why exactly is there Dream World alternate art?

nikohesus
22nd October 2010, 2:58 AM
Why exactly is there Dream World alternate art?

Because the dream world is essentially a big dream where you see Pokemon differently.

And it would be bland to see the Sugimori art, because I love the dream world art. I have some on my desktop. :)

tailswalker
22nd October 2010, 3:46 AM

I am a native spanish speaker AND pokémon player, and I didn't think at all about c***r with kojondo's name, until you mentioned it, personally, I think it doesn't even resemble it that much. And at least for us mexicans, we giggle about full jokes, not merely about isolated words, like Booger or so... We need a really funny and smart situation hehe (really). ;)

Speaking of which, I really like Kojondo, I didn't like any other Fighting type other than Breloom before now, I think its design is beautiful and different for the sake of it.

tailswalker
22nd October 2010, 3:53 AM
Cojones, really? That word isn't even used that much.
Everyone would laugh at it would it be "huevondo" or something, since it would be the exact same situation with a more widespread synonym of cojones!

Dragonshock
22nd October 2010, 4:40 AM
Yeah, huevondo would have been funny, not only because of laziness, but also because it would sound like deep eggs...

I don't know if cojones is said a lot in Spain or other countries, but it's not really said that much here in Mexico.

Royalty
22nd October 2010, 5:30 AM

Why does the link with all the pictures have images of characters and aspects from past games??? Is it just cause the BW images were added to a page that already had images from past games?

Also Battrio is getting Rotom forms. Since I'm 90% sure those use PBR's models (but with a cel shaded filter), those are probably what they will look like in the eventual 5th gen 3D game.
...you know I never saw Battrio action shots before. ... It looks pretty cool. The 3D game should take a cue from it

I would LOVE to see a 3D Rotom floating around in my hands!!!!!! That would be AWESOME!!!!!! I'd actually love to see the designers/artists make a DS possessed by Rotom just as a fun little picture.
(Actually, all the ghosts in 3D would make me squeal with excitement)

R_N
22nd October 2010, 6:08 AM
Right clarification time: "3D game" as in things like Stadium, Colosseum, PBR, not 3DS 3D

Royalty
22nd October 2010, 7:10 AM
Yeah...I kind of realized that when I googled what that thing was. So...pretend my comment was unrelated. ;)

Ophie
22nd October 2010, 11:10 AM
All right, I just went by my own experiences in schools. I most certainly used to see a lot of kids giggling at some naughty words or nudity in fine art, and stuff like that.

And they added in models for the Rotom formes? That's really cool. I wonder if they've made models for Giratina Origine Forme and Shaymin Sky Forme too. (I've seen in videos on YouTube that Appliance Rotom is usable in head-to-head matches, at last. I'd bet the reason they couldn't in the 4th generation was due to technical reasons.)

Brainstorming the TCG illustrators, the following artists have a possibility of being the Dream World Pokémon illustrator: Kanako Eo, Hajime Kusajima, Tomoaki Imakuni (otherwise known as Imakuni? in the GBC card game), Kyoko Umemoto, Sumiyoshi Kizuki, Soonhyung Park, Toshinao Aoki, Yukiko Baba, and Hisao Nakamura.

All of these artists primarily draw using solid black outlines and solid colors with little to no shading. Imakuni, Umemoto, and Kizuki are the ones I believe are most likely to have illustrated the Dream World Pokémon, since they all have a hand-drawn look to their art, can draw perfectly on-model, have line thickness and texture similar to the Dream World artwork, and have been drawing since at least the 3rd generation.

And the following artists cannot possibly have illustrated the Dream World Pokémon: Ken Sugimori, Mitsuhiro Arita, Atsuko Nishida, Tomokazu Komiya, match, Nakaoka, Kouki Saitou, Masakazu Fukuda, Yuka Morii, Sachiko Adachi, sui, Suwama Chiaki, Keiji Kinebuchi, "Big Mama" Tagawa, Ryo Ueda, Naoyo Kimura, Kagemaru Himeno, Midori Harada, Hikaru Koike, Aya Kusuke, Miki Tanaka, and Hironobu Yoshida.

These guys have different artistic approaches and have never had any past work that bear similarity to the Dream World stuff.

LexSuicune
22nd October 2010, 1:45 PM
Do we know when we're getting official Sugimori Artwork?

Lorde
22nd October 2010, 1:55 PM
Do we know when we're getting official Sugimori Artwork?

I think some people have given out a rough timeline of events a few times already in the past; once the guidebooks for the videogames get released, we'll have the artwork for all the new Pokemon except Kerudio, Meloetta, and Genosect. The guidebooks will be released on November 20th, a month from now. My source is the main site, which updated with that info a few days ago. We might get some new artwork next month in Coro Coro, but it won't be much. I'm personally waiting on the guidebooks since the artwork on there will be much more "clean".

Dracoste
22nd October 2010, 2:39 PM
I've just read the DW page. And it says you can only send 50 Pokémon from the DW!

R_N
22nd October 2010, 8:08 PM
And they added in models for the Rotom formes? That's really cool. I wonder if they've made models for Giratina Origine Forme and Shaymin Sky Forme too.
Oritina has been around for a while. Having a bit of a hard time finding Skymin, though. I'm sure it's in one of these sets though.

(I've seen in videos on YouTube that Appliance Rotom is usable in head-to-head matches, at last. I'd bet the reason they couldn't in the 4th generation was due to technical reasons.)

Head-to-Head local battles could handle Appliance Rotom, Skymin, and Giratina-O always. DP just displayed their neutral sprites, but all the other differences were there.
Only Wi-Fi battles banned it. Except that even over Wi-Fi, the games could handle it: there are AR codes that allow them to get on, and the games can battle each other and record normally. Behave properly and everything.

Aurath8
22nd October 2010, 8:08 PM
Oh damnit. That's probably there to stop completing the pokdex so easily. I hope its a time-based limit instead 50 per month perhaps? A flat out limit forever seems so harsh and limiting.

R_N
22nd October 2010, 8:11 PM
Or just 50 per area.
It's not like there's a lot of Pokemon per area, anyway.

And here we go, Skymin & GiratinO in Battrio: http://serebii.net/battrio/jirachiswishchapter/

Lorde
22nd October 2010, 11:23 PM
And the following artists cannot possibly have illustrated the Dream World Pokémon: Ken Sugimori, Mitsuhiro Arita, Atsuko Nishida, Tomokazu Komiya, match, Nakaoka, Kouki Saitou, Masakazu Fukuda, Yuka Morii, Sachiko Adachi, sui, Suwama Chiaki, Keiji Kinebuchi, "Big Mama" Tagawa, Ryo Ueda, Naoyo Kimura, Kagemaru Himeno, Midori Harada, Hikaru Koike, Aya Kusuke, Miki Tanaka, and Hironobu Yoshida.

These guys have different artistic approaches and have never had any past work that bear similarity to the Dream World stuff.

Wow, you really did your research. I've only heard of half of those artists and the others are a complete mystery to me haha. I guess the Dream World artist's identity will remain a complete mystery then, since their style doesn't really match the style of others. I will say this though; whoever it is who drew the Dream World artwork for the new Pokemon sure made even the worst of them look faaaabulous. Tsutarja is a prime example, since it looks mad instead of always arrogant because it's gracing us with it's presence. I like that :)

Dracoste
23rd October 2010, 12:58 AM
I've read it again.

Once you have reached 50 Pokémon in the second board, you are no longer able to send any further Pokémon

So you can actually send over 100 Pokémon. That's still not a lot.

Rakurai
23rd October 2010, 1:16 AM
That doesn't sound right, and it wouldn't be the first time Serebii.net has been wrong.

I've never seen that restriction mentioned in any of the Dream World tutorials, and I'm pretty sure something that important would be. I also don't understand the reason behind why they would even include such a restriction, seeing as befriending Pokemon is one of the primary reasons you'd even want to use the Dream World in the first place.

Besides, how would anyone even know such a restriction existed if it's not mentioned, seeing as the Dream World has been out for barely over a week at this point?

R_N
23rd October 2010, 1:22 AM
The restriction is for the High Link forest, someone in another thread clarified.

If you have 50 Pokemon in your High Link forest, you can't transfer more until you clear it out I believe.

koolhk
23rd October 2010, 2:47 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_Dream_World_artwork
Sorry if this has been asked before but are the Pokemon seen on these two pages the only Pokemon that got Dream World artwork or are other Pokemon Dream World artworks being released soon?

Rakurai
23rd October 2010, 3:22 AM
There's no specifics on when that other half or so of the Isshu Pokemon lacking artwork are going to get it, but judging from one of the Dream World tutorials (Stating that it's incomplete, and some Pokemon can't be transferred over as a result), they should eventually.

Lorde
23rd October 2010, 3:28 AM
Yeah is was pretty obvious that all of the other Pokemon would receive Dream World artwork at some point. Besides the Dream World, this artwork will most likely be used in Pokemon Centers around Japan so they need to have it for all of the Pokemon. I believe that the only Pokemon who never received this type of artwork in the last Generation was Arceus, but every other Pokemon did so that will most likely happen this time around, for the Generation 5 Pokemon. Even if they didn't get DW artwork, there's always Ken Sugimori artwork to look forward to :3

R_N
23rd October 2010, 7:05 AM
You know, for a wrestler, Emboar kind of sucks

It doesn't even get Close Combat. Or even anything that would make perfect sense for a wrestler such as: Vital Throw, Overhead Throw, Revenge (perfect for the slow boar), Reversal (with enough HP to potentially back it up!), Submission, Seismic Toss.

Nacreous
23rd October 2010, 9:11 AM

It doesn't even get Close Combat. Or even anything that would make perfect sense for a wrestler such as: Vital Throw, Overhead Throw, Revenge (perfect for the slow boar), Reversal (with enough HP to potentially back it up!), Submission, Seismic Toss.

That's why the Pokabu line fails...too bad Pokabu is so cute>.>

Aurath8
23rd October 2010, 9:58 AM
Well he gets Superpower through breeding but that's about it for wrestler fighting type moves. I guess they were running out of fighting type moves after 'Ken and 'Ape.
So when are we getting Sugomori art for all 156 new pokemon?

BCVM22
23rd October 2010, 10:11 AM
So when are we getting Sugomori art for all 156 new pokemon?

Not to single you out, because you're certainly not the only one guilty of this, but people need to start thinking and stop asking this.

Unlike the sprites, which can be ripped from a ROM dump of the game literally within hours of release, the Sugimori art is not generally, as a whole, dumped onto the Internet in one lump sum. It is usually trickled out a little bit at a time from magazines and the like and only occasionally are high-quality digital versions posted online by official websites and the like, and even then, it's still only a few at a time.

It is not until the guidebook(s) for the games start to hit shelves that art for the Pokémon is released all at once and even then, it is released in a physical guidebook, meaning some intrepid individual has to scan every single page of art, clean all of that up, zip it up and propagate it online. The guidebooks don't release until November 20th and all of that other stuff will take time as well.

Please, people, read this, know this, learn this, love this, requote this as many times as it takes. It is literally every few posts that someone asks this AGAIN and it's just so unnecessary because common sense could tell you everything I've just outlined above. It's like the people whose thought processes lead them to ask "when is Coro Coro supposed to leak?" during the pre-release period. The absurdity of the question itself should tell you there is no set answer.

Ophie
23rd October 2010, 12:17 PM
Head-to-Head local battles could handle Appliance Rotom, Skymin, and Giratina-O always. DP just displayed their neutral sprites, but all the other differences were there.
Only Wi-Fi battles banned it. Except that even over Wi-Fi, the games could handle it: there are AR codes that allow them to get on, and the games can battle each other and record normally. Behave properly and everything.

Oh, I'm referring to wi-fi battles--I saw a handful of them where someone used an appliance Rotom. I'll try to find one. They're not easy though, since they're not mentioned in the tags. I have to go through each one by one.

Here's one; it's a random Wi-Fi double battle. It's the one with Doredia I linked to before by mistake. At 6:13, the opponent brings in Rotom Wash Forme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpOy3EjNIM

Wow, you really did your research. I've only heard of half of those artists and the others are a complete mystery to me haha. I guess the Dream World artist's identity will remain a complete mystery then, since their style doesn't really match the style of others. I will say this though; whoever it is who drew the Dream World artwork for the new Pokemon sure made even the worst of them look faaaabulous. Tsutarja is a prime example, since it looks mad instead of always arrogant because it's gracing us with it's presence. I like that :)

Well, I play the TCG, so I familiarize myself with their illustrators. Each one has a particular style. All of the 3-D CGI ones can be ruled out, for instance, and after that, all of those who have shading styles different from the Dream World artwork. After that are those with different inking styles, and then those who frequently draw off-model (though these guys are doing it intentionally).

Over the years, there have been close to 50 different illustrators for the Pokémon TCG. They work closely with Nintendo and Game Freak for obvious reasons, and if Nintendo or Game Freak likes an artist's work, they get to do extra stuff (like with Kouki Saitou) or even design Pokémon (such as Kanako Eo).

I always imagined Machamp was the Pokémon with the wrestling theme. Enbuoh, on the other hand, seems more based on a decorative Chinese urn and a burly fisticuffs guy. There isn't much traditional combat that takes place in wrestling anyhow; its characteristic moves are holds and grappling.

I looked up Enbuoh, and both of its Fighting-type level-up moves are based on arms: Hammer Arm and Arm Thrust. Muay thai is the only martial art I can think of at the moment that makes extensive use of arms more than hands and fists. Are there any others?

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd October 2010, 12:46 PM
Alright, this is the 4th GF staff interview, this time with Jamie, a graphic designer who also designed some Pokemon and shares a little bit of the process with us (!). I missed number 3 but it was a short and technical discussion with a sound designer and I lost interest half way through, but I'll probably get around to it eventually.
And yes, in case you're wondering, Jamie is not ethnically Japanese (from memory he is either Ameircan or French, but I know there's a couple staff of non-Japanese ethnicity who work for GF, so I could be getting him confused with someone else) and yes he's relatively new to the company, but it doesn't matter one bit. No matter which Pokemon he happened to design. I'm looking at you, complainers.

The Making of Pokemon Black and White 4
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/staff/?p=204

Hello, this is Rika Nyoro, and I’m in charge of this web blog.
This week we’re sending out the 4th interview with one of the development team with tales from Jamie, the Graphic Designer.

--Alright, so let’s start with an introduction, please.
Hello, nice to meet you all!
I’m Jamie, a graphic designer.
Hope you all enjoy reading this!

--Jamie, you started with the company about fall of last year, didn’t you.
At what stage of Pokemon Black and White’s development did you join?
This month will be exactly one year since I came to the company.
I joined quite late in the development of Pokemon Black and White.

--And what were you in charge of?
As a 3D graphic designer I was in charge of map design and the cut scenes ****anslator’s Note: I incorrectly translated this as Demo Movie in the last 2 interviews I translated] and stuff like that.
Oh, and I got to design Pokemon too!
I always thought I wanted to design a Pokemon and in my job interview I even asked if they would let me design one (laughs).

--Tell me, were there any points within what you were responsible for that you focused on especially?
I guess the cut scenes, maybe.
The castle scene or the point when the legendary Pokemon get reborn or something.
Making the castle scene a 2-screen cut scene was my idea.
Up until then it had always been a 1-screen cut scene, but I thought it’d have more impact if we made it 2 and suggested it to Masuda and Unno.
If we were to talk about something other than the cut-scenes, I really like the Game Freak logo that appears during the game.
There’s a limit on what we can show because of the amount of data involved but we got to show off the Game Freak logo a few times beautifully and it was a different sort of fun to making the cut scenes.

--I was surprised at the castle!! When it suddenly changed to two screens I got the impression that the world I was in had changed for a moment.
Anyway, Jamie, what Pokemon did you design?
I designed the Vanipeti and Gobitto evolution families as well as Vulchai and a few others.
Although, I’ve been playing and I still yet to find any of them (laughs).

--I’ve come across them quite a bit. I’ve got them all!
Was there anything in the areas you were in charge of that were challenging?
For all the cut scenes I didn’t stress out too much, just came up with lot’s of ideas and did them but I stressed out over designing the Pokemon.
Usually, all the graphic designs think up ideas freely, come together and then decide [which designs to include] but because I came into development so late I was requested to supplement the Pokemon Types that were lacking numbers.
For example “We’d like a Pokemon that will send out a chill!” or something like that.
I really worked hard to design engaging characters that worked within the requirements I was given. But it was a lot of fun.

--What part was fun? The thinking up of ideas?
It was fun imagining people all over the world playing with characters that I had thought up.
Once I’d thought them up, it was fun taking my ideas up to Mr. Sugimori, the Art Director, and seeing his reaction. I was constantly thinking “I want to make him laugh!” or “I want to surprise him”.
By the way, at Game Freak it’s not like they include a design simply because it looks cool but you’ve got to think long and hard about “Why this design [should be included]” and if somebody else can’t explain it, then it’s out.
There’s a logical process towards everything and because I like logic I really had fun while designing them.

--I’m not very creative so it might sound like a generalization, but I thought that many creators attach much importance to inspiration and dislike logic.
Maybe. But the creatives that I like all seem to think logically.
For example, they’re video games but, the worlds and characters of Pixar’s movies are all amazing well thought out. Please take a look at them, if you get the chance.

--I know heaps of people who loke Pixar, so I will check them out.
Jamie, is there anything that you’d like to try out now?
If possible, I’d like to make my own game.
And after that, because I like watching movies, if I could do something outside of games and shoot a short film it’d be great.

--I really thought the cut scenes this time around were very dramatic and that’s really to do with how much you like movies, isn’t it Jamie.
Alright, we’ll finish up here, is there anything you’d like to say to the readers of the Staff Voice blog?
Everyone please take care of Vanipetti and fall in love with it! (laughs)

And that was Jamie.

R_N
23rd October 2010, 7:09 PM
Oh, I'm referring to wi-fi battles--I saw a handful of them where someone used an appliance Rotom. I'll try to find one. They're not easy though, since they're not mentioned in the tags. I have to go through each one by one.

Here's one; it's a random Wi-Fi double battle. It's the one with Doredia I linked to before by mistake. At 6:13, the opponent brings in Rotom Wash Forme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbpOy3EjNIM
Neat!

I always imagined Machamp was the Pokémon with the wrestling theme. Enbuoh, on the other hand, seems more based on a decorative Chinese urn and a burly fisticuffs guy. There isn't much traditional combat that takes place in wrestling anyhow; its characteristic moves are holds and grappling.

I looked up Enbuoh, and both of its Fighting-type level-up moves are based on arms: Hammer Arm and Arm Thrust. Muay thai is the only martial art I can think of at the moment that makes extensive use of arms more than hands and fists. Are there any others?
Chauboo's markings are a wrestler's one piece, and Enbuoh's clothing-esque "attire" looks really familiar to some type wrestling outfit, I just can't remember what. Maybe Sumo?

Speaking of, that's Arm Thrust's origin. It was previously Makuhita & Haryama's signature move and "Its name refers to a sumo technique called tsuppari" (thanks Bulbapedia!)

Ltrainer
23rd October 2010, 9:26 PM
Anyone want to see plushtoys of the final evolutions?

I can't post the picture here because they disabled right click but here's the link.

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=1616

I actually want to get the deers instead. Lol.

R_N
23rd October 2010, 9:45 PM

I can't post the picture here because they disabled right click but here's the link.

Jaroda is the best of the three. Daikenki isn't too bad, they did a good job of accenting his important features, though maybe the horn should have been bigger. Emboar...he translated well enough, but I wish his fire beard was closer to his mouth.

Shikijika, Choroneko, and Darumakka translated very very well. Adorable :3
I guess first stages, being smaller and generally more simplistic, translate to chibi plush sizes better then more evolved forms.

I can't wait for Koromori, Kokoromori, and Rankurusu's plush.

LexSuicune
23rd October 2010, 10:02 PM
I LOVE Daikenki's plushie! I want one *w*

R_N
23rd October 2010, 10:25 PM
Alright, this is the 4th GF staff interview, this time with Jamie, a graphic designer who also designed some Pokemon and shares a little bit of the process with us (!). I missed number 3 but it was a short and technical discussion with a sound designer and I lost interest half way through, but I'll probably get around to it eventually.
And yes, in case you're wondering, Jamie is not ethnically Japanese (from memory he is either Ameircan or French, but I know there's a couple staff of non-Japanese ethnicity who work for GF, so I could be getting him confused with someone else) and yes he's relatively new to the company, but it doesn't matter one bit. No matter which Pokemon he happened to design. I'm looking at you, complainers.

The Making of Pokemon Black and White 4
http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/staff/?p=204

This week we’re sending out the 4th interview with one of the development team with tales from Jamie, the Graphic Designer.

--Alright, so let’s start with an introduction, please.
Hello, nice to meet you all!
I’m Jamie, a graphic designer.
Hope you all enjoy reading this!

--Jamie, you started with the company about fall of last year, didn’t you.
At what stage of Pokemon Black and White’s development did you join?
This month will be exactly one year since I came to the company.
I joined quite late in the development of Pokemon Black and White.

--And what were you in charge of?
As a 3D graphic designer I was in charge of map design and the cut scenes ****anslator’s Note: I incorrectly translated this as Demo Movie in the last 2 interviews I translated] and stuff like that.
Oh, and I got to design Pokemon too!
I always thought I wanted to design a Pokemon and in my job interview I even asked if they would let me design one (laughs).

--Tell me, were there any points within what you were responsible for that you focused on especially?
I guess the cut scenes, maybe.
The castle scene or the point when the legendary Pokemon get reborn or something.
Making the castle scene a 2-screen cut scene was my idea.
Up until then it had always been a 1-screen cut scene, but I thought it’d have more impact if we made it 2 and suggested it to Masuda and Unno.
If we were to talk about something other than the cut-scenes, I really like the Game Freak logo that appears during the game.
There’s a limit on what we can show because of the amount of data involved but we got to show off the Game Freak logo a few times beautifully and it was a different sort of fun to making the cut scenes.

--I was surprised at the castle!! When it suddenly changed to two screens I got the impression that the world I was in had changed for a moment.
Anyway, Jamie, what Pokemon did you design?
I designed the Vanipeti and Gobitto evolution families as well as Vulchai and a few others.
Although, I’ve been playing and I still yet to find any of them (laughs).

--I’ve come across them quite a bit. I’ve got them all!
Was there anything in the areas you were in charge of that were challenging?
For all the cut scenes I didn’t stress out too much, just came up with lot’s of ideas and did them but I stressed out over designing the Pokemon.
Usually, all the graphic designs think up ideas freely, come together and then decide [which designs to include] but because I came into development so late I was requested to supplement the Pokemon Types that were lacking numbers.
For example “We’d like a Pokemon that will send out a chill!” or something like that.
I really worked hard to design engaging characters that worked within the requirements I was given. But it was a lot of fun.

--What part was fun? The thinking up of ideas?
It was fun imagining people all over the world playing with characters that I had thought up.
Once I’d thought them up, it was fun taking my ideas up to Mr. Sugimori, the Art Director, and seeing his reaction. I was constantly thinking “I want to make him laugh!” or “I want to surprise him”.
By the way, at Game Freak it’s not like they include a design simply because it looks cool but you’ve got to think long and hard about “Why this design [should be included]” and if somebody else can’t explain it, then it’s out.
There’s a logical process towards everything and because I like logic I really had fun while designing them.

--I’m not very creative so it might sound like a generalization, but I thought that many creators attach much importance to inspiration and dislike logic.
Maybe. But the creatives that I like all seem to think logically.
For example, they’re video games but, the worlds and characters of Pixar’s movies are all amazing well thought out. Please take a look at them, if you get the chance.

--I know heaps of people who loke Pixar, so I will check them out.
Jamie, is there anything that you’d like to try out now?
If possible, I’d like to make my own game.
And after that, because I like watching movies, if I could do something outside of games and shoot a short film it’d be great.

--I really thought the cut scenes this time around were very dramatic and that’s really to do with how much you like movies, isn’t it Jamie.
Alright, we’ll finish up here, is there anything you’d like to say to the readers of the Staff Voice blog?
Everyone please take care of Vanipetti and fall in love with it! (laughs)

And that was Jamie.

Oh wow this was really neat. So they do keep general track of the types they add in, that's pretty neat. As is the fact that they don't just add designs all willy-nilly and that a lot of thought is put into thinking an idea, designing, and then implementing the design. I find it amusing that he thought up and did the 3D scenes no problem but stressed out over designing Pokemon.

Vanipetti was the...ice cream line, right?
"Send a chill" indeed, that probably explains why they emit icy breath in their animation. I'm willing to bet the idea was proposed as a "scary" Pokemon, but he went a more literal way with it. I like the ice cream Pokemon...

Ahhhhh I wish he went in more detail about the thought process for Gobitto and the Vulture lines. Oh well baby steps.

Slowemperor
23rd October 2010, 10:38 PM

And that was Jamie. [/I]

I really liked the interview, and it is nice to hear from a non 100% japanese pokémon designer (I have nothing against japanese, I just like multi-culturaslism). One thing I learnt recently is that there are far more designers than I thought, which is good. I also liked to know about the process and meddling concepts go through. However, it didn't make me like Vanipeti more. I have much respect for Jamie as he desinged Gobitto line, one of my favourites, but basicly what I got was that they needed an ice pokémon, he did one to impress Sugimori with a (YMMV)creative idea and swoop! We got Vanipeti and its line. I tolerate it nowadays, though. Anyway, this was a really interesting interview, I hope we get more like this. I would also like to have list saying which designer created pokémon.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd October 2010, 10:47 PM
Oh wow this was really neat. So they do keep general track of the types they add in, that's pretty neat. As is the fact that they don't just add designs all willy-nilly and that a lot of thought is put into thinking an idea, designing, and then implementing the design. I find it amusing that he thought up and did the 3D scenes no problem but stressed out over designing Pokemon.

Vanipetti was the...ice cream line, right?
"Send a chill" indeed, that probably explains why they emit icy breath in their animation. I'm willing to bet the idea was proposed as a "scary" Pokemon, but he went a more literal way with it. I like the ice cream Pokemon...

Ahhhhh I wish he went in more detail about the thought process for Gobitto and the Vulture lines. Oh well baby steps.

It is always interesting to see how GF works on the inside, especially in relation to Pokemon design, isn't it.

Yeah, I have a feeling that Vanipetti was so odd and so not what he expected that Sugimori just fell in love. Possibly they just needed an ice-type to go in the freezer container area and Jamie thought "Freezer...Ice-cream...Icicle with snow on top." :P Same with Vulchai they may have told him they wanted a counterpart to Wargle and for Gobbitto they probably just wanted something that could have been trapped in the Dragon Tower for a long time, but I was really hoping he'd talk about them both more, too.

Hopefully, in the next 5 weeks (9 interviews in total) they'll do another interviewer with a designer so we can learn more about the process/ideas behind Pokemon and their creation.

I really liked the interview, and it is nice to hear from a non 100% japanese pokémon designer (I have nothing against japanese, I just like multi-culturaslism). One thing I learnt recently is that there are far more designers than I thought, which is good. I also liked to know about the process and meddling concepts go through. However, it didn't make me like Vanipeti more. I have much respect for Jamie as he desinged Gobitto line, one of my favourites, but basicly what I got was that they needed an ice pokémon, he did one to impress Sugimori with a (YMMV)creative idea and swoop! We got Vanipeti and its line. I tolerate it nowadays, though. Anyway, this was a really interesting interview, I hope we get more like this. I would also like to have list saying which designer created pokémon.

The "intro" to the interview I wrote is because I know there are still some people who vehemently hate Vanipetti and (although fewer) who hate Gobitto and Vulchai and I was trying to pre-critique any people jumping on his "foreigner" status or his newness to the company as an excuse for trashing the designs, especially if they were to dislike all three. Anyway, it's not a critique on you (you're very reasonable) I just felt I should explain why my intro is so precautious.

And yes, as I said above, there are 5 more interviews so hopefully we'll get another one with a Pokemon designer, but a full list of who did what is probably unlikely.

Lorde
23rd October 2010, 10:51 PM

Oh wow those do look pretty neat. Let's see, I hate the Shikijika plush toys since they seem to be lacking a certain something. Daikenki's and Jaroda's look mighty regal so I could totally see myself getting those. The Isshu Starter's first and second form plush toys are decent, except Mijumaru's for some reason. I also like Choroneko's and Darmakka's a bit. If I could get them, I'd totally reserve the Daikenki, Choroneko, Tsutarja, and Pokabu plush toys.

Snegy
24th October 2010, 3:18 AM
Thanks very much for the translations, Sabonea_Masukippa!

Well, since I love love loooooooooooove Banipucchi and Gobitto, this guy is the ****!!! The black bird, however, only becomes amazing upon evolution, so it's still nice of him. He made a change! :P

I'm really surprised Game Freak actually counts the types and asks their designers for ones which are still missing... I mean, there are almost none Ice-types every gen -- I just thought they always think something like "OK, let's just make, uh, 6 or 7 Ice ones, like always" and that's it. They were actually needing more Ice, then. I find this very strange, because there are so much possibilities for the type. It's not like they have explored every possibility...
This also fits with the Ghost type, since there are almost none this gen. The ones we've got are still awesome, though.

One thing I'm really curious about is how they decide the Pokémon stats. Like, why make the polar bear so weak? I mean, why not make it very strong?
Plus, he's weaker then Ursaring... Like Zebraika is weaker than Rapidash and Marakachi than Cacturne AND Tabunne than Chansey.
I'm not trying to sound boring, but the previous generation pokémon -- especially the 1st ones -- already got a plethora of new moves and possibilites... And love! I guess it'd be fair to balance out the limited movepool of the new ones with better stats.
... Just throwing this out. :-) thx

Anyways, this was lovely to read. Where can I find the previous ones?

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th October 2010, 5:06 AM
I'm really surprised Game Freak actually counts the types and asks their designers for ones which are still missing... I mean, there are almost none Ice-types every gen -- I just thought they always think something like "OK, let's just make, uh, 6 or 7 Ice ones, like always" and that's it. They were actually needing more Ice, then. I find this very strange, because there are so much possibilities for the type. It's not like they have explored every possibility...
This also fits with the Ghost type, since there are almost none this gen. The ones we've got are still awesome, though.

Possibly they've done lot's of "cool" designs that they just couldn't justify putting in over other ones coupled with the fact that Ice is an uncommon type.

And there's 9 ghost types - more than any previous gen has had and more than Posion and Ice types.

One thing I'm really curious about is how they decide the Pokémon stats. Like, why make the polar bear so weak? I mean, why not make it very strong?
Plus, he's weaker then Ursaring... Like Zebraika is weaker than Rapidash and Marakachi than Cacturne AND Tabunne than Chansey.
I'm not trying to sound boring, but the previous generation pokémon -- especially the 1st ones -- already got a plethora of new moves and possibilites... And love! I guess it'd be fair to balance out the limited movepool of the new ones with better stats.
... Just throwing this out. :-) thx

Anyways, this was lovely to read. Where can I find the previous ones?

Hopefully there'll be another interview with someone who was in charge of movepools and or stats and we might get a bit more of an insight, otherwise who knows what check and balances they've got in place for Pokemon move pools. Although any of your examples might evolve next gen (I'm looking at you Tabunne) putting them on a more equal footing with counterparts.

Also, here's the other 2 interviews I've translated:

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/staff/?p=201The Making of Pokemon Black and White 1

Well, it’s gone fast and now it’s already October,
and 12 days have passed since the release of Pokemon Black and White.
How many Gym Badges have you got everyone?
I got my 8th badge last week and kept going until I reached the end credits!

Alright, so for the next nine weeks I think we’re going to be posting interviews with the staff involved with developing Pokemon Black and White.
Today, the first one, is from Tomoyan, a programmer, where he tells us all this information about programming!
—–
-- Alright, so let’s start off with a self introduction please.
Hello, I’m Tomoyan, a programmer.
I was responsible for developing the field in Pokemon Black and White.
In the developing of the field I mainly worked on a part called “Rail Movement”, White Forrest, Black City, and the field’s representation, for example I did the programming for the lighting, and the animation.

-- By “Rail Movement” you mean the “Rail System Program” that was in the Staff List of the end credits, don’t you?
What part of the game is that?
‘Rail Movement’ means a path that isn’t straight, like the Sky Arrow Bridge, or Hiun city or Victory Road. A road where the perspective rotates but you still move forward just by pushing the up button on the D-Pad.
If you just say rail you get a movement by pushing a single directional button that’s like the movement of a train rushing along. The Tower of Heaven has ‘Rail Movement’ too.

--I was surprised at first because even though you’re pushing the up button on the D-Pad, the character is moving upwards diagonally!
I became unsure about how I was controlling the character and it kept going all over the place (laughs), But, I got used to it straight away.
You were in charge of a lot this time but are there any memories that are particularly deep?
Of course it’s the ‘Rail Movement’ isn’t it?
It’s a type of movement we’ve not had before is it not?
Up until now if you pushed the forward button you only moved forward.
In all the Pokemon games until this one, in-game moving ‘forward’ meant moving to the back, so since we’re adding this ‘rotation’ movement, the players may at first experience some confusion.
With that, I was always thinking about how do we make the transition between ‘Grid Movement’ and ‘Rail Movement’ smooth enough so that you can’t tell they’ve been switched.
Like ‘How do we make these games so that we link grid and rails together seamlessly so that the player’s feeling of movement is unchanged?’
By the way, the thing called ‘Grid Movement’ is the way of doing things where the entire game’s map is all set at one size, and you can count each one as a step.
It might help to imagine it a bit like chess.
With ‘Grid Movement’ you can only move in four directions - up, down, left and right.
In comparison to that, because ‘Rail Movement’ rotates around, you can make all sorts of movements happen.
Like up-diagonal, or something.

Something that affected everything else, and the thing we worked hardest on, was “Disposal Failures”.
If I were to put it simply, it’s the state when the speed of the movements or display, that should be there all the time, stops working.
For these games, we had this phenomenon when you would walk around cities occur where the main characters movements would turn into slow motion and that wasn’t fixed until we were nearing the end of development.
It’s going to sound like programmer’s talk but, at that time we tried limiting the display, or dropping the size of the data, or changing the display system, and we fine tuned all these fine points and solved the problem.

--Well, it moves very smoothly now, doesn’t it.
Both ‘Grid’ and ‘Rails’ made me think ‘The way the character moves is different!?’ but the transition points did not feel unnatural at all.
Now that Pokemon Black and White have been release, is there something you’d like to work on? And if so, can you tell us what it is?
After this I want to make my own game. To make it from the planning and put together the programming for it.
Because I love nature, I’m thinking I want to make a game that involves that area.
I’m in the planning processes! But I can’t give you details yet (laughs).

--What sort of game a game planned by a programmer would be is going to bug me!
Lastly, please tell us a place you want players to pay attention to in Pokemon Black and White.
Because in Pokemon Black and White you can now view cities from various points of view, please enjoy looking at the scenery from a perspective you’ve not had up until now. That’s ‘Rail Movement’! (laughs)

And that was Mr. Tomoyan.
—–
How was that?
In the coming weeks, we’ll be doing interviews with Game Planners and Graphic Artists, so please look forward to it!

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/staff/?p=202
The Making of Pokemon Black and White 2

This week we’re doing another interview with one of the development team.
Today, for this second interview, we give you Mr. Matsumiya’s “Scenario: A Story Just for Here.”

--So, let’s begin with you introducing yourself, please.
I’m Matumiya, a planner.
I was responsible for writing the scenario for Pokemon Black and White.
I’ve been writing the scenario for Pokemon since Gold and Silver.

--This is quick, but in what order do you write the scenario?
I wonder, is it the Director who decides the plot?
At first I get orders from Masuda, the Director, in fragments like ‘I want this sort of theme,’ or ‘I want this sort of character,’ or ‘I want you to add this sort of scene.’
At that time, the outline of the story isn’t decided at all.
And so with that, I organise the director’s orders and the stuff I want to do myself, and make the plot.
This time, most of the plot was left up to me.

--How do you start thinking up the story?
Do you start writing it once you’ve decided on the majority of the people who’ll appear?
This time I had the ending, or, ah, the point where I wanted to end the story and wrote the plot working backwards from that.
I received the details on N from Masuda and expanded it in my own way and made him and the story into what they are today.

--When you saw the story that you wrote as moving images, where there any spots that you thought “Oh, that’s what that looks like!’
This time there are many event scenes with sound attached to them and I think that that is really
good.
The climax’s excitement is because of the sound and also the cut scenes that Jamie, the 3D graphic designer, made.

--Because there is probably many people who are still in the middle of playing, I can’t write too detailed, but the ‘Demo’ is a series of animated cut-scenes, isn’t it? That was a surprise.
Because the quality of the cut scenes were high and the impact strong, I wondered if the player could become more easily involved in the story.
At that point, just having dialogue thrown around would not have conveyed the message, would it?
Apart from the sound and the cut scenes, the drawing of the Gym Leaders etc by Oomura, a 2D graphic designer, helped me a lot in strengthening my ideas of their characters because of the drawings’ charm.
I think that they match the current period in time while maintaining a “Pokemon-ness” and that they are all really fascinating people.

--From the people around me it seems that Fukiyose City’s Gym Leader Fuuro is quite popular.
That’s to do with an order from Sugimori, the 2D Art Director, to maker her ‘cuter’. (laughs)
Because when it’s your job to create something, when you try hard to make the characters more unique it’s quite easy to end up making them all into ‘strange characters’.
Probably, caught in between all these ‘strange characters’ plain old cuteness stands out, doesn’t it?

--I wonder if you weren’t just mixing up ‘plain’ and ‘planes’…….
Anyway, putting that aside, when do you think up the scenario?
It might be sound biased but, it’s a little hard to imagine you coming into the office everyday, sitting at your desk and writing.
Basically, I think about it at home and then come into the office and produce the output.
For example, when I think of an idea, I make a note in my phone’s memo pad and then polish it the next day.
When I’m stuck for ideas, there’s many times when I’ll solve it. By making arrangements or the plan or when things are going to get finished.
For example, at first Cheren was a hard character to write, but once Oomura had finalised the design, I found I could write him without any trouble.

--At first Cheren tries to seem really cool, but as the story goes on, the childish and hating loosing sides of him come out, don’t they?
Also, Belle is a good girl. At first I thought was a little bothersome but as the story goes on my feelings about her became really positive.
That’s because the main characters are a little older than they have been til now and them leaving on their journeys is a little later than expected.
Cheren has all this knowledge about Pokemon but he’s big headed and he just wants to become strong all the time. So, ah, he’s a little bit of an annoying one.

Belle was easy to write for.
We deliberately made her a little bit of a gloomy feeling to give her a lasting impression
But we were careful not to overdo it because then people would hate her.
You can say this for any character but there was no specific model for these, I made them reflect various parts of various people.

--I see.
Moving on, what did you do during your time at university, before you came to work for Game Freak, Mr. Matsumiya?
After I graduated from University and wandered aimlessly around life for a bit, I did some part time work on debugging Pokemon Red and Green.
After that, when they were making the continuation (Pokemon Yellow), I was told that they did not have enough people and since then I have always been involved with Pokemon.

-- So I think that a debugger and a story writer are two very different jobs but, how is it that you came to be in-charge of the story?
Well, at first I didn’t plan to write the story, but at that time the staff member who was supposed to write it was too busy and…And so, I, who really had nothing to do, came to writing. At first it wasn’t the story, but mainly the Pokedex Entries that I wrote. I came to write the story properly from Gold and silver.

--Now that you say that, you never appear in magazines or anything do you, Mr. Matsumiya.
Since you’ve been writing the story for so long, it wouldn’t be unusual for you to appear in an interview, would it?
I don’t want to appear in interviews at all.
I don’t have the feeling of coming out and saying ‘My story is great, so please play these games!’
There’s many players who think that a story is not needed in Pokemon and also I don’t think stuff like “The story I wrote is amazing!”
Although, if there is someone who says they buy the games for the story that would make me happy.

--Did you write the story by yourself this time?
The main story was up to me.
If the main story is written by one person it makes it feel more unified, because then it’s easy to add foreshadowing.
Sub-events, like the Ferris Wheel were written by a few other people.

--How long did it take you to write the story for Pokemon Black and White?
I was involved from the completion of Pokemon Platinum, so I was on the project for about a year and a half.
All the fine details where polished and repaired into this year, but the main outline wasn’t changed at all.

--So all the dialogue was up to you, wasn’t it? So, would you also be responsible for rendering the Pokemon cries in text?
That’s true.

--I’m hearing a lot about the cries of the legendary Pokemon this time. The first time I saw it I was a little surprised too. (laughs)
Sorry. (Laughs)
There was a reason for that, though.
In Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, and others, once you catch the legendary Pokemon that’s it and there’s a chance that you won’t take it and go on the adventure together.
So at that time, when we just had the package illustrations and the names, and having discussions I thought about that element being lacking.
So I thought maybe if I give them a strange cry that leaves an impact, it might excite the players, even just a little bit and gave them that cry.

--I was excited from the point when I defeated the Elite Four and played all the way until the climax in one go. If I write to much it’ll be a spoiler so I won’t say in detail, but for me, just when I was really excited, that cry came onto the screen. Without thinking I put the DS down and searched for the cry [on the internet], thinking ‘there has to be people like me who were just speechless when they saw it’. And as expected, I got quite a few hits.
I can’t stand it when tension keeps building (laughs).
It’s tiring when tension keeps building up and up, isn’t it?
I could have given them a really cool cry there but, that wouldn’t have left such a lasting impression.

--Wasn’t the he Pokemon cries made by Mr. Ichinose, the sound designer, cool enough? When it goes “gaooooo”
That is too cool, isn’t it (laughs).
That is to say, in reality, I write the cries at a time when the vocal cries are unfinished.
So,I think maybe making strange cries might cause Mr. Ichinose some trouble but (laughs), but it appears that he likes strange cries, so it’s alright.

--So long as it’s alright, I’m relieved.
Also, do you have an ambition or something that you’d like to try out?
I’d like to write the story for something other than Pokemon.
Not a novel or anything like that, the story of a game.
Games are, and I’m not talking about Jamie’s cut scenes or Oomura’s characters, but they’re something you make together and they go off plan and in interesting directions. That’s their charm, I think.
So, I want to write games’ stories forever.
I’ve even got a few I’m thinking of now.

--And lastly, please give a message to all of the players out there.

If you can find a favourite character or a favourite bit of dialogue, I’m happy.

That was Matsumiya!

koolhk
24th October 2010, 7:01 AM
Does anyone else find Kibago one of the cutest Pokemon so far, I love it^_^

R_N
24th October 2010, 7:59 AM
I saw a Tabunne almost sweep Adeku (*coughcough*afteralotofCheerUps*coughcough*)
It's not exactly "weak" :p

And hey while I'm at it...
Zeburkia vs Rapidash:
-Zeburkia has 10 more HP and more importantly 11 more speed then Rapidash. That's not exactly weaker. In exchange, Rapidash has higher defense & special defense.
Move pool wise, Rapidash's horn gave it a lot of options, such as Poison Jab & Megahorn. Zeburkia only really gets Nitro Charge for type options (also Overheat) and Hidden Power (if only there was a physical hidden power, then it could really shine). However, it does get some nice support options such as Volt Change, Light Screen, and Thunder Wave. It's a blasted shame it does not get Eleball (especially since it is one the leader that gives the TM), but it can get Me First...
I'm sure future TMs and Move Tutors will go a ways to help it in the future, though.

Marakachi vs Cacturne:
-I don't think it's really fair to compare the two since one is an evolved Pokemon and the other a standalone...but anyway. It's true that, attack stats wise Cacturn is the victor. But Marakachi has higher: HP (5 points), Defense (7 points), Special Defense (7 Points) and Speed (5 points; let's not question why a cactus with a single foot outspeeds one with two). And it's not like 106 special is anything to scoff at...
Move pool wise they're pretty similar, though Cacturne gets a few more dark & fighting attacks, as well as Swords Dance. So instead I'll just list out some notable diffs in Marakachi's favor: Synthesis, Acupuncture, Cotton Guard (sharply raises defense), Safeguard, You First. Marakachi favors defense compared to Cacturne (fyi, Marakachi has nice attacks, too. Poison Jab, Needle Arm, Energy Ball, Sucker Punch, etc). Which is also reflected in ability choice.
Plain old Cacturne only has Sand Stream. Marakachi has a choice of absorbing water attacks for an HP refill, or having its speed doubled in the Sun.
Cacturne gets Water Absorb from Dream World (though who knows when that will see the light of day), too, but Marakachi gets Storm Drain, which, in addition to absorbing Water attacks for no damage also gives a +1 to Special Attack.

Tabunne vs Chansey:
-Now this is a much fairer comparison, I'd say. Right off: Tabunne has far far far lower HP. They have the same speed. Chansey gets 19 more Special Defense.
However, Tabunne's bulk is much better spread around. 103/86/86. It also has 60/60 attack compared to...5/35. So it can deal some okay damage if it so chooses.
Now movepools...okay look. Their normal type Pokemon. They have amazingly diverse TM pools (Tabunne gets Psycho Shock, Telekineses, loses Earthquake for Dig, Trick Room), though Tabunne can obviously take greater advantage of the attack moves (SO OF COURSE IT DOESN'T GET EARTHQUAKE *rolls eyes*). So what about Support? Well it's pretty evenly matched. Chansey notably gets Aromatherapy & Softboiled, but Tabunne gets Yawn, Encore, Amnesia (!) and the one I find most notable: Wish.

Now smogon likes to put Wish on Blissey & Chansey sets but your chances of actually finding one for reals is slim-to-none. It was given away years ago, and probably only ~100 Wish Chanseys still exist. So I think Wish as an Egg move is a pretty nice boon for the little rabbit.

Abilities: Chansey gets Natural Cure, which is useful, and Serene Grace which none of them will ever ever run ever. Tabunne doesn't get a "proper" healing move like Softboiled, having to rely on Rest (it gets Sleep Talk by egg move btw), Wish...or it's awesome ability Regeneration! Every time it switches out, it regains 33% of its HP. It's no 50%, but pretty swank non-the-less. Also: Healing Heart, which is mostly just useful in Double/Triples. Chansey also gets Healing Heart from Dream World, Tabunne gets Klutz which...I guess would go useful with Make Friends and/or Gift Pass.

Still seem weaker?

[aka]
24th October 2010, 8:04 AM
Does anyone else find Kibago one of the cutest Pokemon so far, I love it^_^
I'm not going to say the cutest, but he is pretty freakin' adorable. x3
I think I like Hitomoshi better. He looks like a little emo-candle. ^__^

R_N
24th October 2010, 8:14 AM
;11727304']I'm not going to say the cutest, but he is pretty freakin' adorable. x3
I think I like Hitomoshi better. He looks like a little emo-candle. ^__^

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/97/607Hitomoshi_Dream.png
That's the least emo anything I've ever seen.

Royalty
24th October 2010, 8:45 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_Dream_World_artwork
Sorry if this has been asked before but are the Pokemon seen on these two pages the only Pokemon that got Dream World artwork or are other Pokemon Dream World artworks being released soon?

I really love these. I can't wait till all of them are done because they look so nice. I really like the Mewtwo!

I want the Jalorda! It would look so nice on my desk!

[aka]
24th October 2010, 8:49 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/97/607Hitomoshi_Dream.png
That's the least emo anything I've ever seen.
Emos can still be happy. >.>
I was referring to the sprite, actually; the way his wax is reminds me of emo hair.

Lorde
24th October 2010, 8:55 AM
;11727329']Emos can still be happy. >.>
I was referring to the sprite, actually; the way his wax is reminds me of emo hair.

Hitomoshi's wax looks Emo? I don't see it. Even if it does bear a resemblance, it's probably just a coincidence. I like the Hitomoshi line in general, but it doesn't start getting interesting until Ranpuraa makes it's appearance; I just like how Game Freak took the design to another level and giving it a lantern theme. Shandera is probably my favorite Ghost-type Pokemon in Generation 5 since it fits in with the Halloween theme so well. Shiny Shandera is even better :]

Ophie
24th October 2010, 10:16 AM
Chauboo's markings are a wrestler's one piece, and Enbuoh's clothing-esque "attire" looks really familiar to some type wrestling outfit, I just can't remember what. Maybe Sumo?

Speaking of, that's Arm Thrust's origin. It was previously Makuhita & Haryama's signature move and "Its name refers to a sumo technique called tsuppari" (thanks Bulbapedia!)

I thought Makuhita and Hariyama already covered sumo. Then again, Infernape doesn't seem to refer to any sort of fighting in particular. (Not that I know of, at least. Blaziken is based on taekwondo, I'd suspect, so it'd make sense thast if Blaziken and Enbuoh are based on a specific martial art, Infernape could be too.)

It's probably a necessity of the designs, but I'm seeing a lot of felt this time around. I typically don't see a lot of felt, so it feels off to me. Nevertheless, the quality is still top-notch, and I would like some of them.

It is always interesting to see how GF works on the inside, especially in relation to Pokemon design, isn't it.

Yeah, I have a feeling that Vanipetti was so odd and so not what he expected that Sugimori just fell in love. Possibly they just needed an ice-type to go in the freezer container area and Jamie thought "Freezer...Ice-cream...Icicle with snow on top." :P Same with Vulchai they may have told him they wanted a counterpart to Wargle and for Gobbitto they probably just wanted something that could have been trapped in the Dragon Tower for a long time, but I was really hoping he'd talk about them both more, too.

I'd bet Gobitto and Goruggo were created as a counterpart of Komatana and Kirikizan--the latter is based on a super sentai, so they needed a super robot to go with it. For a foreigner-designed Pokémon, it's very Japanese and it fits in with the others quite well.

Typically, I see a rift between eastern character design and western character design. Show me a character from something I'm unfamiliar with, and I will tell you with 95% accuracy whether the artist was eastern or western. I'm very impressed with Jamie; I hadn't an idea that it was designed by someone who isn't even from Asia.

Needless to say, I love the Vanipetti line. I loved them ever since I first saw them because they're so ridiculous. I know there are a ton of people who hate it though. It's the antithesis of Charizard, perhaps the most well-liked Pokémon in America (and Europe, maybe) in a way--not just in the type: Charizard is a fairly traditional concept based on a familiar figure, the fire-breathing dragon. There isn't much else to it. It's straightforward and looks like something that would be in a collection of monsters. Bivanilla, on the other hand, is a very surreal and abstract concept, a double-scoop of soft serve. It's also based on snow sitting atop an icicle. It is completely unlike a monster: Based on an inanimate, artificial object designed for consumption and with no easy way to imagine one running in the wild. It doesn't look threatening or intimidating. Instead of drawing awe, it draws confusion, as its purpose doesn't match its appearance. It doesn't fit neatly into a collection of monsters. It sticks out.

Goruggo was the last Pokémon cut from the Rotation Battle team I have planned, by the way; and I'm pretty interested in what to do with Vultina right now. I hope he illustrates for the card game too. I'd like to see what perspective he brings in when he draws other people's Pokémon.

Move pool wise, Rapidash's horn gave it a lot of options, such as Poison Jab & Megahorn. Zeburkia only really gets Nitro Charge for type options (also Overheat) and Hidden Power (if only there was a physical hidden power, then it could really shine). However, it does get some nice support options such as Volt Change, Light Screen, and Thunder Wave. It's a blasted shame it does not get Eleball (especially since it is one the leader that gives the TM), but it can get Me First...
I'm sure future TMs and Move Tutors will go a ways to help it in the future, though.

Until the 5th-generation, we did have an ersatz physical Hidden Power in Natural Gift. Too bad it could only be used once, and it's been eliminated as a TM. Still, I liked throwing curveballs at people through Natural Gift.

Also, was there any reason there wasn't any comparison between Tsunbear and Ursaring? (I know they're for vastly different purposes--I've come up with a few ideas on how to use Ursaring, but none would work on Tsunbear.)

BCVM22
24th October 2010, 10:50 AM
so it'd make sense thast if Blaziken and Enbuoh are based on a specific martial art, Infernape could be too.

As I'm sure you know, Infernape's basis is Sun Wukong of Journey to the West lore, classically described as, among other things, "superbly fast" and "a skilled fighter". Given that, I don't think it's out of the question that Infernape isn't meant to specifically represent a single fighting art in and of itself, though that is not to discount the possibility that it is.

SasakiThePikachu
24th October 2010, 10:55 AM
So just got 2 Mews off the wifi event...both hasty nature. What are the freakin chances?! Brilliant. Love ya, Nintendo. I'm raising me one of these lovelies in White.

I know what you mean, Ophie, and thank you for using the word 'abstract' to apply to the Vanipetti line; everytime I thought about that pokemon I struggled for that perfect description but it wouldn't come. Yeah, I was a Vani hater at first (I didn't openly troll the forums slagging it off, I just thought it looked stupid and uncreative), but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. As many, many people pointed out, loads of pokemon look stupid at first, and the only thing that cures that is several weeks of getting used to them. Vani is no more uncreative than many of the original 151. In an 'abstract' way it's very creative. A food pokemon? I think that's a first...

Anyways. OMG I GOT A REAL MEW! FIRST TIME SINCE YELLOW VERSION!! SO CUTE! AHHH!! :D

Rakurai
24th October 2010, 11:58 AM
Those Tsutaja line plushes. I want them all.

On the current topic, that interview makes me really wish we could learn the inspiration for the designs of all of the Pokemon.

Dracoste
24th October 2010, 12:26 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/aa/359Absol_Dream.png http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/359.png

I'm happy that GF made absol looked a little bit more blue in it's sprite. Because the last gens it's sprite was black/grey and in the 3D versions(colloseum/XD/PBR) it was blue.

Also, I didn't like the Vanipeti line at first, but after looking at it for a couple of weeks, it's actually funny and I started to like it.

Edit:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/36/497Jalorda_Dream.png

I already liked Jalorda alot but it's DW art let me like it even more!

LexSuicune
24th October 2010, 5:21 PM
Where are you guys getting those images?!

Slowemperor
24th October 2010, 6:38 PM
Edit:

I'm a big fan of Jalorda but I was truly dissapointed at his DW art. First, it makes his neck look too thin. And while we are seeing many pokémon in different poses/angles/expressions Jalorda seems to have been worked out the same way over and over again (sprite, DW, TCG,...). Only his Sugimori art was somewhat different. Dakenki seems to be a victim of this too. But one thing I keep loving about it is his villanous look. The snarky smile, smuggy head pose, the huge collar, the red eyes, the snake-theme,... And I just love villains. Dakenki has an old master look, which also rather interesting, but he seems a little dull in his body design (It still one of my all time favorite starters). They all got very nicely done in the plush toys, even Emboar, which I've started to like more but still... As of the debate on his theme, I read somewhere Emboar also came from a Chinese demon(?) from Journey to the West. Maybe he doesn't have any specific martial art atributted to him too. Maybe.

Aurath8
24th October 2010, 6:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Infernape is monkey kung fu. Mach Punch, Close Combat and also moves like Feint show the fast, energetic and acrobatic style. Emboar seems to be a wrestler. Possibly a sumo wrestler, he uses moves that demonstrate power like Arm Thrust, Hammer Arm and Superpower. He is slow, but he hits like a tank and defends like one too.
That's my two cents.

nikohesus
24th October 2010, 7:22 PM
Where are you guys getting those images?!

These are the dream world art, in Bulbapedia's archives. Look on the front page.

R_N
24th October 2010, 7:35 PM
I thought Makuhita and Hariyama already covered sumo. Then again, Infernape doesn't seem to refer to any sort of fighting in particular. (Not that I know of, at least. Blaziken is based on taekwondo, I'd suspect, so it'd make sense thast if Blaziken and Enbuoh are based on a specific martial art, Infernape could be too.)
I'd say, if you wanted to link Blaziken & Infernape to a specific martial art, they'd be Kick boxing and monkey kung-fu (I think it has a specific name, I don't know).
As BCVM said, he's also based on Son Wukong, who was a fast & skilled martial artist. Blaziken is also based on...**** fighting....

general aside: Enboar is also based on a Journey to the West character, so I'm willing to bet we get a Water/Fighting Kappa for a water type next generation.

Until the 5th-generation, we did have an ersatz physical Hidden Power in Natural Gift. Too bad it could only be used once, and it's been eliminated as a TM. Still, I liked throwing curveballs at people through Natural Gift.
Yeah, but as you said, it's one shot. Although Harvest Exeggutor can use it fairly well, so that's neat.

You know, why do physical moves always have so many drawbacks to all of its better moves? Virtually all of them have some drawback that the more useful special moves don't have. Meanwhile you can fire off Thunderbolts, Ice Beams, Shadow Balls, Psychics, Energy Balls, Surfs, Flame throwers no problem. And if you work in some weather, you get Thunders, Blizzards, and Solar Beams. But physical moves always tend to lower your stats drastically, or have recoil, or some other arbitrary downside.

Also, was there any reason there wasn't any comparison between Tsunbear and Ursaring? (I know they're for vastly different purposes--I've come up with a few ideas on how to use Ursaring, but none would work on Tsunbear.)
edit: oh missed that one completely
Ehhhhh I'll look at them later.

Nacreous
24th October 2010, 7:36 PM
Hey...check these out^^ http://www.filb.de/1420

without all the writting and stuff^^They look really good

R_N
24th October 2010, 7:47 PM

I did not expect Pokemon Smash to show off all of those!
I thought we'd have to wait for the official site to update, though we're still missing Chillachinno, the lizard, Hatoopoo, Kenhorou (M & F), Haderia, and Leperdas.

...speaking of I just remembered we got gypped last CoroCoro, only getting the three monkeys on the official site for clear art. Not even Monmen and Churine, who were showcased on Oha Suta.

FireTheAbsolLord
24th October 2010, 8:01 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/aa/359Absol_Dream.png http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/359.png

I'm happy that GF made absol looked a little bit more blue in it's sprite. Because the last gens it's sprite was black/grey and in the 3D versions(colloseum/XD/PBR) it was blue.

Also, I didn't like the Vanipeti line at first, but after looking at it for a couple of weeks, it's actually funny and I started to like it.

Edit:

Totally agree on the epic absols of epicness. Also, Jalorda reminds me of a snake with bunny ears. So,uh, what is your guyes favorite 5th gen pokemon? I like Kokoromori and Jalorda alot.

Royalty
24th October 2010, 8:57 PM
I know it's been said before, but now I'm saying it. ;)
I really love how Jalorda looks like it is shedding its skin and that's how the "collar" and "horns" are formed. I really appreciate the creativity in its design. My favorite grass starter design EVER. :)

Also, now that we can see them in bigger and as non-in-game sprites, I really really like Koromori. It is so freaking cute and, while I don't think I'd use it much in battles, I really want one.

For a while, I thought that Onondo looked odd and just kind of weird, but I like how it really is the middle ground and shows the transition from Kibago to Ononokusu.

bippacooleth
24th October 2010, 9:19 PM

They placed Gothimu, Yuniran and Bachuru next to each other... I'm not really into cute pokemon most the time, but I'm fairly sure some people are going to die of adorableness xD

Dracoste
24th October 2010, 9:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Jalorda but I was truly dissapointed at his DW art. First, it makes his neck look too thin. And while we are seeing many pokémon in different poses/angles/expressions Jalorda seems to have been worked out the same way over and over again (sprite, DW, TCG,...). Only his Sugimori art was somewhat different.

The thing that lets the DW art be different than the others is that Jalorda is smiling. I like that Jalorda has the "better than you", but it's also nice to see Jalorda smiling for a change.

Aurath8
24th October 2010, 9:37 PM
Totally agree on the epic absols of epicness. Also, Jalorda reminds me of a snake with bunny ears. So,uh, what is your guyes favorite 5th gen pokemon? I like Kokoromori and Jalorda alot.

I would say, Emboar, Goruugo and Abaggoura. Emboar is a firefighter. I liked Infernape but disliked his frailty. I don't mind him being slow though so Emboar should be perfect. Oh, and his epic beard o' flame.
Goruugo because he's an ancient fat iron man. He even learns fly.
Abagoura because I've always wanted a huge ancient turtle. And this one gets Solid Rock. Win.

Lorde
24th October 2010, 9:37 PM

I love it! I didn't think we'd get so much high-quality Ken Sugimori artwork until next month when the guidebooks for Black and White get released. I love Jalorda and Daikenki from the start, and even Otamaro looks swell, despite it's face making me laugh out loud everytime I see it. I don't think I've seen Zeburaika's artwork before, so maybe it's new (or maybe I missed it before).

R_N
24th October 2010, 9:52 PM
I love it! I didn't think we'd get so much high-quality Ken Sugimori artwork until next month when the guidebooks for Black and White get released. I love Jalorda and Daikenki from the start, and even Otamaro looks swell, despite it's face making me laugh out loud everytime I see it. I don't think I've seen Zeburaika's artwork before, so maybe it's new (or maybe I missed it before).

All of these were in CoroCoro, including Zeburaika

Ophie
24th October 2010, 10:11 PM
Oh right, I forgot about Journey to the West. Sun Wukong fights with a pole, doesn't he? I guess whatever that style is, it's that.

Nevertheless, it'd be slightly disappointing if Enbuoh just doubled up on a fighting style already covered. Hariyama covers sumo wrestling, and Machamp covers western championship wrestling.

I suppose Golduck is ambiguous enough as to what it is that we could have a more direct kappa Pokémon next generation.

Crimson_Blazer
24th October 2010, 11:44 PM
Emboar and chaoboo kinda look like luchadores

Lorde
24th October 2010, 11:48 PM
Emboar and chaoboo kinda look like luchadores

Which are a type of fighter right? I suppose it would fit in a way since the Pokabu line gets the Fighting-type along the way. However, I believe that Ken Sugimori stated that Pokabu and its evolutions were meant to evoke a Chinese feel. I believe people have posted about how Pokabu, Chaoboo, and Enbuoh are supposed to be based on characters from some tale called "Journey to the West".

Royalty
25th October 2010, 12:12 AM
Or, since they are pigs,
Lunchadores
:D
*sends self to go stand with nose in the corner*

[aka]
25th October 2010, 2:55 AM
Luchadores are known for their masks and lucha libre is a style of wrestling; Emboar has neither mask nor wrestling moves.

rocky505
25th October 2010, 3:06 AM
If emboar is a type of wrestler it would be a sumo wrestler since it learns arm thrust.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 3:26 AM
;11729131']Luchadores are known for their masks and lucha libre is a style of wrestling; Emboar has neither mask nor wrestling moves.

I guess you're right. Well there goes that theory; though coming up with them is half the fun.

The more I look at the new Ken Sugimori artwork, the more I want some of those Pokemon on my team. Aken has always been an interesting Pokemon but I chose the Shell Fossil in the Ancient Castle, so I was never able to get an Aken. Marakacchi is also another Pokemon I would have liked on my team, but I didn't find one until later in White so I neglected to add it to my team in place of Doreida, who is getting on my nerves.

Rerbren
25th October 2010, 3:46 AM
Where can I find all of the new Sugimori art?

BCVM22
25th October 2010, 3:52 AM
Where can I find all of the new Sugimori art?

:|

Not to single you out, because you're certainly not the only one guilty of this, but people need to start thinking and stop asking this.

Unlike the sprites, which can be ripped from a ROM dump of the game literally within hours of release, the Sugimori art is not generally, as a whole, dumped onto the Internet in one lump sum. It is usually trickled out a little bit at a time from magazines and the like and only occasionally are high-quality digital versions posted online by official websites and the like, and even then, it's still only a few at a time.

It is not until the guidebook(s) for the games start to hit shelves that art for the Pokémon is released all at once and even then, it is released in a physical guidebook, meaning some intrepid individual has to scan every single page of art, clean all of that up, zip it up and propagate it online. The guidebooks don't release until November 20th and all of that other stuff will take time as well.

Please, people, read this, know this, learn this, love this, requote this as many times as it takes. It is literally every few posts that someone asks this AGAIN and it's just so unnecessary because common sense could tell you everything I've just outlined above. It's like the people whose thought processes lead them to ask "when is Coro Coro supposed to leak?" during the pre-release period. The absurdity of the question itself should tell you there is no set answer.

Please, people.

yeminied
25th October 2010, 5:17 AM
You know, I have given myself some time and I think I am starting to like the starters more now.

Seeing the (well, I assume it is) Sugimori art of the final starters makes me really like Jalorda now, and the fact it's Dream World ability works fantastically with Leaf Storm I might just choose Tsutarja first.

I also like how Emboars face has been shadowed, that coupled with his snarl and his epic beard of awesomeness makes him look like one of those thugs who looks down on his victims. I don't know how to explain it but the art is really great.

Now Daikenki. He was probably my least favourite of the nine starters but looking at his art it makes me hate him less. He is still my least favourite but, yeah. The Sugimori art actually makes him look cute, in a weird kind of way. I still just don't know how he moves with those shells on his legs which is the kicker for me.

The rest of this art is also great. Kokoromori looks a lot better than in his sprites. I cannot explain how cool Waruvile looks there with his arms crossed. Do I even need to explain how cute Ishizumai is.

MetalFlygon08
25th October 2010, 5:32 AM
I'm Personally fond of Gigiasu, it reminds me of Metagross, wich is a favorite Pokemon of mine, shame they made it trade evolution, my poor Gantaru will never evolve until we get a 5th trade gen set up, unless someone's feeling nice enough to trade/tradeback...

Kreis
25th October 2010, 5:45 AM
I'm Personally fond of Gigiasu, it reminds me of Metagross, wich is a favorite Pokemon of mine, shame they made it trade evolution, my poor Gantaru will never evolve until we get a 5th trade gen set up, unless someone's feeling nice enough to trade/tradeback...

Well, you could simply do the GTS trick to evolve it:

1.) Offer said Pokemon in GTS
2.) Go find any random Pokemon and trade for it.
3.) Go back and withdraw said Pokemon that was set up for offer.
4.) Your Pokemon will start the evolution process once it's back in your party.

Ophie
25th October 2010, 6:18 AM
Now Daikenki. He was probably my least favourite of the nine starters but looking at his art it makes me hate him less. He is still my least favourite but, yeah. The Sugimori art actually makes him look cute, in a weird kind of way. I still just don't know how he moves with those shells on his legs which is the kicker for me.

I had wondered that myself. Another reason I eagerly await an announcement of a console 5th-generation Pokémon game: I want to see how Daikenki actually walks. It looks awkward.

R_N
25th October 2010, 6:30 AM
I had wondered that myself. Another reason I eagerly await an announcement of a console 5th-generation Pokémon game: I want to see how Daikenki actually walks. It looks awkward.

It's pieced armor, so the shells probably just interlock, but can bend at the critical places.

It's probably no different then certain real life armor types.

What I'm curious about is how it looks when using the sword in its leg armor.
Sadly we may have to wait for the anime to show that off.

MetalFlygon08
25th October 2010, 6:44 AM
Well, you could simply do the GTS trick to evolve it:

1.) Offer said Pokemon in GTS
2.) Go find any random Pokemon and trade for it.
3.) Go back and withdraw said Pokemon that was set up for offer.
4.) Your Pokemon will start the evolution process once it's back in your party.

that didn't work, now I'm stuck with a modest water monkey.

Kreis
25th October 2010, 6:49 AM

Oh, that sucks. It worked with DPPt.

BCVM22
25th October 2010, 6:50 AM

Better than being stuck with a boastful water monkey. Those things just never shut up, just keep going on and on about how great they are.

Nacreous
25th October 2010, 6:59 AM
I know it's been said before, but now I'm saying it. ;)
I really love how Jalorda looks like it is shedding its skin and that's how the "collar" and "horns" are formed. I really appreciate the creativity in its design. My favorite grass starter design EVER. :)

Also, now that we can see them in bigger and as non-in-game sprites, I really really like Koromori. It is so freaking cute and, while I don't think I'd use it much in battles, I really want one.

For a while, I thought that Onondo looked odd and just kind of weird, but I like how it really is the middle ground and shows the transition from Kibago to Ononokusu.

I agree,Jalorda is amazing...I didn't like it at first but now it's in my top 3^_^

Daikenki used to be my fav starter but now I find it a little meh for some reason...maybe I got bored of it...

Emboar should have never been created!It souldn't have been part Fighting...even Pinsir learns more Fighting moves and it's not part Fighting>.>Now Daikenki should have been part Bug since it learns 2 Bug moves by lvl up:/

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th October 2010, 9:26 AM
So...now that we've got a bit more clean Sugimori art, I thought I'd do a couple of comparisons...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/50/sugicomp.png

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2746/sugicomp2.png

And to think, just a few short weeks ago the whole of the internetz was sure these were too fake to be real.

EDIT: I should say, credit to Hiro, Melkor, Bulbagarden, and Filb for the images.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 9:34 AM
I still say they're fake! Just kidding. I like how the fanart for these Pokemon was generally accurate to be honest. I also remember thinking that there could be no way that Otamaro was a real Pokemon but looking back, it's fanart was pretty much the same as it's official sprite and Ken Sugimori artwork. Choroneko looks super fat in it's fanart, but it's still pretty close to the real product. I miss the days when people would post those tedious error analysis though.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th October 2010, 10:08 AM
I miss the days when people would post those tedious error analysis though.

I do not. Those days were awful. Nobody came out of that looking particularly good.

Also, you might get a kick out of this: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f5/Osaka_new_art.jpg

It's some cute art of some of the new ones for the new Pokemon Centre in Osaka

Ophie
25th October 2010, 10:44 AM
I can identify that illustrator as Kouki Saitou. No doubt about that. This would mark the first non-game, non-Dream-World artwork for Dokkora and Tamagetake, wouldn't it? (Whatever happened to the plans for the Pokémon Centers/Nintendo Worlds in Europe and the western United States?)

I can see the shells as plate armor now. The legs still look rather stiff though. Well, I guess they're actually flippers so they'd be awkward on land anyhow. Real animals with flippers look awkward, so it'd make sense for Daikenki. As for the sword, maybe it pulls it out with its mouth...? (Where is the sword?)

At the very least, Hiyappu and Hiyakki are pretty sought-after, particularly among those who picked one of the other two monkeys. You could very easily put the moneky back into the GTS and trade for a Gantoru. (Unless you mean that you spent a while breeding to get this particular one.)

Lorde
25th October 2010, 10:55 AM
Also, you might get a kick out of this: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f5/Osaka_new_art.jpg

It's beautiful. I love artwork like this since it really captures the festive feel of the Pokemon Centers in Japan. I've always admired some of the artwork that the Pokemon Centers in Japan use for promotions so this is a real treat right here. This artwork also makes me see Tabunne in a totally new light; I just can't believe it's so huge! Anyway, the other Pokemon look cute, like Pokabu with that bow around it's neck and that confused expression on it's face :3

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th October 2010, 11:06 AM
I can identify that illustrator as Kouki Saitou. No doubt about that. This would mark the first non-game, non-Dream-World artwork for Dokkora and Tamagetake, wouldn't it?

This was posted on Pokebeach a few days ago:
http://pokebeach.com/news/1010/dokkolar.jpg

Also, I don't know for sure if these count but:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1533/tabunnne.png
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5638/tubanne.png
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7870/mebukishika.png
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8111/iroiro.png

All from the Daisuki Club user homepage.

Also, you may like to see these merchandise links, which show some cool stuff like psuedo-3D renderings of the starters on a lunchbox and a Tabunne plushie.

http://www.pokemon-card.com/products/bw/entry1_dx.html
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2010/10/g101022_01.html?a001=news

As for the sword, maybe it pulls it out with its mouth...? (Where is the sword?)

cough*(It's not a sword it's a horn on it's head)*cough

It's beautiful. I love artwork like this since it really captures the festive feel of the Pokemon Centers in Japan. I've always admired some of the artwork that the Pokemon Centers in Japan use for promotions so this is a real treat right here. This artwork also makes me see Tabunne in a totally new light; I just can't believe it's so huge! Anyway, the other Pokemon look cute, like Pokabu with that bow around it's neck and that confused expression on it's face :3

I thought you might like it :p Yeah, Tabunne looks really cute there. I think it's just that all the other Pokemon around it are small that make it look so big, since it's only 1.1m (which is what? a little smaller than ~3.5 feet?)

Ophie
25th October 2010, 11:18 AM
Oh right, I've seen the cards (I'd love to see what the new set will be like), but I didn't see the Daisuki Club images yet. What do the images of Shikijika and Mebukijika have to do with anything though? Or is that simply more promotional artwork?

(Oh. I wasn't sure where the "sword" was located. Thanks. So Daikenki can pull it out?)

If Tabunne is 1.1 meters, and it's up there on the Pokémon Center, then that means the Pokémon Center building is merely a little over 2.4 meters, or 7 feet. Pretty cramped for a two-story building.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th October 2010, 11:28 AM
Oh right, I've seen the cards (I'd love to see what the new set will be like), but I didn't see the Daisuki Club images yet. What do the images of Shikijika and Mebukijika have to do with anything though? Or is that simply more promotional artwork?

I think it's because it's currently Autumn in Japan.

(Oh. I wasn't sure where the "sword" was located. Thanks. So Daikenki can pull it out?)

I'm pretty sure it can use it as a sword, just not if it can take it off. I remember when I translated the dex entries in pre-release for Serebii it said something about the spikes on its fin armour extending to become swords though...

If Tabunne is 1.1 meters, and it's up there on the Pokémon Center, then that means the Pokémon Center building is merely a little over 2.4 meters, or 7 feet. Pretty cramped for a two-story building.

It's a giant chinless Tabunne! Everybody run! :P

Rakurai
25th October 2010, 11:44 AM

I like how Tsutaja is off in the corner, looking as though it's wondering if those other Pokemon are worthy of its association.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 11:52 AM
Haha, for a second there, it looked like the Pikachu with the bow-tie was suspended in mid-air which would've been pretty trippy. It's standing on a box though, but the color blends in with the Pokemon Center so it was a little hard to see at first. Anyway, I guess those Pokemon in the image all are the Pokemon that have been deemed "cute" and will most likely be in hot demand. It's quite a shame since I would've liked to see Kurumiru and Mamepato on there. Well, I'll settle for Koromori for the time being. I saw that list of mechandise, and that Tabunne plush toy looks like it's ready to suck your soul out; just look at those eyes (http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/Kira-man/tabunne.png)! Anyway, I want this (http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/Kira-man/pokelunchbox.png) so badly.

Also, that image of the Autumn Shikijika and Mebukijika is so pretty; I wish they had one for all 4 seasons.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th October 2010, 12:15 PM
I saw that list of mechandise, and that Tabunne plush toy looks like it's ready to suck your soul out; just look at those eyes (http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/Kira-man/tabunne.png)!

Tabunne was clearly created by Darkrai to do his work in Pokemon Centres.

Also, that image of the Autumn Shikijika and Mebukijika is so pretty; I wish they had one for all 4 seasons.

(Maybe) They'll give us a spread for each season in accordance with the season in Japan. *Crosses fingers*

RedMage23
25th October 2010, 1:05 PM
I really don't see what you see in Tabunne... it just looks like another cute-ish Pokemon, not stealing souls any time soon.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 1:50 PM
I really don't see what you see in Tabunne... it just looks like another cute-ish Pokemon, not stealing souls any time soon.

Don't get me wrong now. My comments on Tabunne were purely sarcastic, at least that bit about it's eyes anyway. I remembered a certain member here talking about how life-less Tabunne's eyes looked so I just sort of poked fun in it and added that bit about Tabunne "sucking souls". I was serious about it looking pretty big in most of it's artwork though. I bet a life-size Tabunne plush toy would make my ego look absolutely miniscule by comparison haha. Overall, Tabunne is good for a laugh or two, so I'll give it that much. It's not too cute in my opinion, but it works :)

SasakiThePikachu
25th October 2010, 3:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Dream World art sucks? It's really flat and cartoonish and the outlines are way too thick...it looks like bad fanart done on a poor quality paint program. Not a patch on the Sugimori art, which by the way, is OMG gorgeous and SO worth the wait.

The little spider looks surprised to see us. And how did I miss Gochi-pre-evo's Betty Boop-esque design before?? haha I thought she looked familiar...

RedMage23
25th October 2010, 4:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Dream World art sucks? It's really flat and cartoonish and the outlines are way too thick...it looks like bad fanart done on a poor quality paint program. Not a patch on the Sugimori art, which by the way, is OMG gorgeous and SO worth the wait.

It's alright... while it's nice as a change of pace, it's no substitute for real Sugimori art.

R_N
25th October 2010, 4:52 PM
Pokemon White Dex Entry:
"Part of the armor on its forefeet is a sword"

So I've always figured it was something along these lines:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/platformer%20pics/maybe.png

That one piece of spiked plate armor seemed like the best bet for a hidden sword. The third image is just what I think it may look like underneath all the armor, though it looks more like a dagger due to perspective and differences in size.

LexSuicune
25th October 2010, 5:29 PM
That would be insane lol having two shell katanas on the forefeet.

Daikenki is a beast!

Slowemperor
25th October 2010, 6:13 PM
If in the anime Daikenki stood up and took off a pair of shell katanas out of his arms/legs that would make him the greatest starter ever. Not for being an awsome water samurai but for keeping that hidden for so long. It'd be like those scenes where the old crippled master finnaly shows off what made him a master in first place. Won't happen, but would be great...

Anyway, just a short, expeculative and impossible to give a certain answer question: When shall we start seeing the English names let's say... for the starters? Or whatever poké they reveal first. How much time does it usually takes between the games release in Japan and the first sneak-peak in the USA?

R_N
25th October 2010, 8:43 PM

The little spider looks surprised to see us. And how did I miss Gochi-pre-evo's Betty Boop-esque design before?? haha I thought she looked familiar...

But....it's supposed to look flat & have thick outlines.
It's what gives it the cartoony look the Dream World is going for.

Also there's a filter overlayed in the actual dream world, I think it givves it a crayon-esque look.

Also what's wrong with the art being cartoony?

Shneak
25th October 2010, 9:14 PM
Pokemon White Dex Entry:
"Part of the armor on its forefeet is a sword"

So I've always figured it was something along these lines:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/platformer%20pics/maybe.png

That one piece of spiked plate armor seemed like the best bet for a hidden sword. The third image is just what I think it may look like underneath all the armor, though it looks more like a dagger due to perspective and differences in size.

The better question:

How would it hold the swords?

natie
25th October 2010, 9:19 PM
It's beautiful. I love artwork like this since it really captures the festive feel of the Pokemon Centers in Japan. I've always admired some of the artwork that the Pokemon Centers in Japan use for promotions so this is a real treat right here. This artwork also makes me see Tabunne in a totally new light; I just can't believe it's so huge!Huge? How so? It looks just a bit taller than some really small Pokémon, so I don't think you could call it 'huge'. :p

I think it's about the size of Raichu, although I haven't compared their Pokédex entries yet.

Shneak
25th October 2010, 9:30 PM
Huge? How so? It looks just a bit taller than some really small Pokémon, so I don't think you could call it 'huge'. :p

I think it's about the size of Raichu, although I haven't compared their Pokédex entries yet.

About waist height. I don't know, going by anime.

Aurath8
25th October 2010, 9:36 PM
The better question:

It uses water, grass knot or it's psychic abilities. Or it turns out Daikenki is bipedal or doesn't hold swords and this is all pokedex fodder.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 9:43 PM
It's alright... while it's nice as a change of pace, it's no substitute for real Sugimori art.

I don't think it's all that bad. Yeah it's not as good as the official Ken Sugimori artwork, but at least we got some artwork to go by. I was getting tired of using those tiny sprites to determine what a Pokemon looked like and whether or not I'd find their design to be good or bad. Plus, the Dream World artwork does Pokemon like Tsutarja and Emonga some justice; I think they look so much better in the Dream World style.

Shneak
25th October 2010, 9:49 PM
It uses water, grass knot or it's psychic abilities. Or it turns out Daikenki is bipedal or doesn't hold swords and this is all pokedex fodder.

The Pokedex always lies, so maybe.

Lorde
25th October 2010, 9:54 PM
The Pokedex always lies, so maybe.

The PokeDex doesn't "lie" per se, it just sort of exaggerates certain things. I believe the proper term used to describe it's entries is "flavor text" or something similar. Usually, it just sort of adds a little fun-fact about a Pokemon's appearance, lifestyle, habitat, et cetera. It's still pretty funny to read those entries though, like the one about Darumakka and it's warm fecal matter :]

Shneak
25th October 2010, 9:58 PM
The PokeDex doesn't "lie" per se, it just sort of exaggerates certain things. I believe the proper term used to describe it's entries is "flavor text" or something similar. Usually, it just sort of adds a little fun-fact about a Pokemon's appearance, lifestyle, habitat, et cetera. It's still pretty funny to read those entries though, like the one about Darumakka and it's warm fecal matter :]

I know. I was just putting emphasis on the false descriptions.

I haven't even looked at the Black/White dex entries yet.

Korobooshi Kojiro
25th October 2010, 11:00 PM
I find the Dex Entries to be a bit more realistic this time...at the very least, they don't seem to throw out bizarre numbers like the older ones (speed, temperature of fire, etc. like in Pidgeot's "speed of sound" and Torchic's body heat being incredibly high) and most of the Dex Entries seem to correspond with the moves Pokemon learn. For example, Tsunbear's entry mentions how it's a good swimmer, and thus it learns Surf. I recall a few Dex Entries in the past mentioning some ability a Pokemon had, yet they can't actually learn the move that is what that ability describes.

R_N
25th October 2010, 11:36 PM
The better question:

It has claws, including a usable thumb-claw

s2daam
25th October 2010, 11:44 PM
Ugh, I'm dieing for more Sugimori art, I was very dissapointed when we only got a clean image of the Ice Bear this month :@ I wonder why they didn't update it :/

Also, what other artists have done this gens pokemon?? There's Sugimori and the dream world, but there is more I beleive?

Lorde
25th October 2010, 11:47 PM
Ugh, I'm dieing for more Sugimori art, I was very dissapointed when we only got a clean image of the Ice Bear this month :@ I wonder why they didn't update it :/

We got about 24 pieces of artwork yesterday; that's quite a lot. I mean, they have some blue stuff around the edges, but they're still pretty clean and we can make out the Pokemon perfectly so that's not a real problem. I think 20+ pieces of artwork in one month is quite a lot, even if they weren't all put on the main Pokemon site. Next month, we'll be getting more artwork so that should be something to look forward to.

s2daam
26th October 2010, 12:02 AM
We got about 24 pieces of artwork yesterday; that's quite a lot. I mean, they have some blue stuff around the edges, but they're still pretty clean and we can make out the Pokemon perfectly so that's not a real problem. I think 20+ pieces of artwork in one month is quite a lot, even if they weren't all put on the main Pokemon site. Next month, we'll be getting more artwork so that should be something to look forward to.

Ahh, thanks :D Found them now :) Can't wait for Next month when we have them all (apart from 3)

lindsy95
26th October 2010, 12:23 AM

Where can I see the art, anyway?

Lorde
26th October 2010, 12:33 AM
Where can I see the art, anyway?

Here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=184530&page=47) or there (http://www.filb.de/1420). I updated the Sugimori thread with the artwork, which you can find in my two posts near the bottom of the page. I'll have to edit the links later on when we get all of the high-quality artwork for the Isshu Pokemon. This should hold us down for now.

Ophie
26th October 2010, 2:19 AM
Also, what other artists have done this gens pokemon?? There's Sugimori and the dream world, but there is more I beleive?

If you're talking about just regular old artwork, there's a lot. Like, in the dozens. Most to all of them also work on the card game's illustrations, so they continue to produce streams of Pokémon artwork.

The biggest contributors to the promotional artwork besides Sugimori are Kouki Saitou, Kanako Eo, and Kagemaru Himeno.

c4tman
26th October 2010, 2:27 AM
Which are a type of fighter right? I suppose it would fit in a way since the Pokabu line gets the Fighting-type along the way. However, I believe that Ken Sugimori stated that Pokabu and its evolutions were meant to evoke a Chinese feel. I believe people have posted about how Pokabu, Chaoboo, and Enbuoh are supposed to be based on characters from some tale called "Journey to the West".

noo.... enbuoo is based on balerina pig LOL. check this out
http://c4tman.deviantart.com/art/dreamer-Enbuoo-is-a-dreamer-183466716?q=gallery%3Ac4tman%2F26866608&qo=5

LexSuicune
26th October 2010, 3:31 AM
Here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=184530&page=47) or there (http://www.filb.de/1420). I updated the Sugimori thread with the artwork, which you can find in my two posts near the bottom of the page. I'll have to edit the links later on when we get all of the high-quality artwork for the Isshu Pokemon. This should hold us down for now.

Thanks! This is great help!

SasakiThePikachu
26th October 2010, 12:55 PM
http://c4tman.deviantart.com/art/dreamer-Enbuoo-is-a-dreamer-183466716?q=gallery%3Ac4tman%2F26866608&qo=5

Hehe. I love the expressions of the other two, like 'we're not with him. at all.' :D

Ah, Journey to the West...wasn't Hakkai meant to be the pig in that story? Goku is the monkey king and Gojyo is the kappa/water sprite, if memory serves. So Enbuuo is Hakkai...huh...

*tries to picture it*

Great, now I'm picturing that fat pig as the nice bishie guy from Saiyuki. That's not right >__<;;

Lorde
26th October 2010, 12:59 PM

Pfft! I think I loved Daikenki's expression a bit more than Jalorda's or Enbuoh's haha.

Anyway, it would appear that Zoroark will keep it's Japanese name in the English games. This poster (http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae260/IrisandDento/zoroarkmasterofillusion.jpg) for Movie 13's English dub seems to indicate such. I wonder if Zorua will keep it's Japanese name too. Oh I hope it does since I've gotten so used to seeing it everywhere and I'd hate for it to change. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

R_N
26th October 2010, 4:32 PM
If Zorua did keep its name, it hasn't been bought yet

Zoroark redirects back the Pokemon.com website, Zorua (I also tried Zoroua) doesn't

Dr. Leggs
26th October 2010, 8:52 PM
If Zorua did keep its name, it hasn't been bought yet

Zoroark redirects back the Pokemon.com website, Zorua (I also tried Zoroua) doesn't

I do recall Zorua's name being spelled 'Zoroa' when it was released alongside Zoroark, despite being spelled phonetically as 'Zorua' in Japanese. Zoroa.com doesn't redirect anywhere either, so I dunno. I think it's safe to say it'll be one of those, similar to Riolu/Lucario.

Lorde
26th October 2010, 10:04 PM
I do recall Zorua's name being spelled 'Zoroa' when it was released alongside Zoroark, despite being spelled phonetically as 'Zorua' in Japanese. Zoroa.com doesn't redirect anywhere either, so I dunno. I think it's safe to say it'll be one of those, similar to Riolu/Lucario.

I don't think that Zorua is going to keep it's Japanese name then. If Zoroark redirects to the Pokemon site, then Zorua should have as well. It's a little fishy, since you'd think they'd have bought the rights to the name for Zorua when they bought the rights for Zoroark, but only Zoroark seems to have been bought. I guess since Zoroark is the star of movie 13, it was their priority?

uber gon
27th October 2010, 12:08 AM
So Enbuoh's beard of fire isn't really a beard then?

725roy
27th October 2010, 12:21 AM

Well 2 reasons...
1.Ganon has a beard yes but emboar isn't ganon
2.If it had a beard of fire it wouldn't be beard.

those r my guesses

R_N
27th October 2010, 12:51 AM
It's...sort of...still a beard.

I guess it's...a neck beard?

RedMage23
27th October 2010, 12:54 AM
I guess it's...a neck beard?

Hehehe... Emboar's a neckbeard...

Dr. Leggs
27th October 2010, 3:37 AM
I don't think that Zorua is going to keep it's Japanese name then. If Zoroark redirects to the Pokemon site, then Zorua should have as well. It's a little fishy, since you'd think they'd have bought the rights to the name for Zorua when they bought the rights for Zoroark, but only Zoroark seems to have been bought. I guess since Zoroark is the star of movie 13, it was their priority?

That's what I think. And, to make a parallel again with Lucario, 'Lucario.com' redirects to the Pokemon website, while 'Riolu.com' does no such thing. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume Zoroa/Zorua to stay the same likewise.

R_N
27th October 2010, 4:11 AM
I guess it's a popularity thing, then.

Royalty
27th October 2010, 5:18 AM
I really love how they have a couple of "Royal" Pokemon. I mean, there's the grass snake and then there's the beautiful flower with a crown and the jellyfish with the crowns. (I can't think of any others, but still. I like them a lot)

Royalty
27th October 2010, 5:22 AM
I really love how they have a couple of "Royal" Pokemon. I mean, there's the grass snake and then there's the beautiful flower with a crown and the jellyfish with the crowns. (I can't think of any others, but still. I like them a lot)

Ophie
27th October 2010, 5:30 AM
Heh, Burungels are the king and queen, Doredia is the princess, and Jalorda is the prince.

The msot likely explanation is that the English name is something other than "Zorua." It sounds like Zoroua and Zoroa have already been tried. Anybody tried Zolua, Zoloua and Zoloa yet? I remember 4Kids being very afraid of Disney when it tried to localize One Piece, changing Roronoa Zoro's name to Zolo to avoid confusion with El Zorro.

BCVM22
27th October 2010, 5:37 AM
It sounds like Zoroua and Zoroa have already been tried. Anybody tried Zolua, Zoloua and Zoloa yet? I remember 4Kids being very afraid of Disney when it tried to localize One Piece, changing Roronoa Zoro's name to Zolo to avoid confusion with El Zorro.

Except for where it was pointed out not four posts up that Lucario.com redirects to Nintendo while Riolu.com does not. There's nothing that rules out Zorua or some similar permutation being the English name, and furthermore, it wouldn't make a whole ton of sense for them to keep Zoroark but swap the R for an L in whatever Zorua's official English name ends up being.

Furthermore, Disney doesn't have ownership of Zorro and "zorro" is a legitimate foreign word, being Spanish for fox; they might have elected to change Zoro to Zolo to avoid confusion, but they certainly didn't do it because they had to. And that might have made sense, given what Zoro is; Zorua is not human nor a swordsman.

Lorde
27th October 2010, 5:40 AM
The msot likely explanation is that the English name is something other than "Zorua." It sounds like Zoroua and Zoroa have already been tried. Anybody tried Zolua, Zoloua and Zoloa yet? I remember 4Kids being very afraid of Disney when it tried to localize One Piece, changing Roronoa Zoro's name to Zolo to avoid confusion with El Zorro.

If they kept Zoroark, I can't imagine why they'd go ahead and change Zorua though. Sure the name is similar to some of the other names out there, but it's not exactly the same so the translation team shouldn't have to be so overly cautious. If Zorua isn't the English name, then I at least hope that it's real English name sounds cool :s

Ophie
27th October 2010, 6:01 AM
True--FUNimation decided to call him Zoro, even, and didn't get in trouble with Disney. Nevertheless, I think it's not outside possibility that the R has been turned into an L.

What did people do to figure out Pok&#233;mon names prior? I remember being at other Pok&#233;mon sites prior and people repeatedly going into trademark databases to find them out preemptively. I remember Heatran's name was found out in this way, as did a good three-quarters of the 3rd-generation English Pok&#233;mon names.

R_N
27th October 2010, 6:23 AM
random guessing

Legendary names tend to stay the same, though, so Heatran staying Heatran wasn't that big of a leap.

True--FUNimation decided to call him Zoro, even, and didn't get in trouble with Disney. Nevertheless, I think it's not outside possibility that the R has been turned into an L.

Not when Zoroark is still Zoroark. Both their names are punning on "Zoro" so to change it to "Zolo" despite knowing this fully well would be ridiculous.

Ophie
27th October 2010, 6:48 AM
I know--I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the process of going through trademark databases. I used to go to a site called The Pok&#233;masters, where one person managed to get into such a database. He then asked everyone on the site to come up with any names to see if Nintendo had trademarked them recently.

Through this, he was able to obtain the English names for Zangoose, Sharpedo, Carvanha, Lotad, Sceptile, Poochyena, Dustox, Taillow, Swellow, Pelipper, Jirachi, Spoink, Slaking, Whismur, Crawdaunt, Electrike (which people thought was Manectric's name initially), Camerupt, Lunatone, Solrock, Baltoy, Lileep, Cradily, Kecleon, Duskull, Dusclops, Regirock, Regice, and Registeel. I'm sure there were more, though those were the ones he discovered when I was present. (I was also the one who suggested "Zangoose," which is why I thought of that first.)

The Pok&#233;masters folded shortly afterwards, without me knowing how to get into these databases. Surely if people are discovering that Nintendo has been creating these trademarks, there should be someone capable of doing so who can discover their English names, even if it's through trial and error like that.

(And yeah, you're right--it's more than likely the R in Zorua's name will stay. Any chance it could be something entirely different?)

BCVM22
27th October 2010, 6:51 AM
Any chance it could be something entirely different?

For reasons specified, probably not.

As for the trademark databases, the procedure is standard but the specifics are not; what Nintendo of America might have done seven years ago or four years ago might not necessarily be what they do now as far as something that we average folk on the Internet can find with enough digging.

In addition to that, the North American release is still a good 5-6 months off. While I'm sure they're hard at work on that release, they may not necessarily have begun the process of registering the umpty-dump new trademarks involved with the localization.

SasakiThePikachu
27th October 2010, 11:11 AM
I know--I just wanted to know if anyone was familiar with the process of going through trademark databases. I used to go to a site called The Pokémasters, where one person managed to get into such a database. He then asked everyone on the site to come up with any names to see if Nintendo had trademarked them recently.

Through this, he was able to obtain the English names for Zangoose, Sharpedo, Carvanha, Lotad, Sceptile, Poochyena, Dustox, Taillow, Swellow, Pelipper, Jirachi, Spoink, Slaking, Whismur, Crawdaunt, Electrike (which people thought was Manectric's name initially), Camerupt, Lunatone, Solrock, Baltoy, Lileep, Cradily, Kecleon, Duskull, Dusclops, Regirock, Regice, and Registeel. I'm sure there were more, though those were the ones he discovered when I was present. (I was also the one who suggested "Zangoose," which is why I thought of that first.)

The Pokémasters folded shortly afterwards, without me knowing how to get into these databases. Surely if people are discovering that Nintendo has been creating these trademarks, there should be someone capable of doing so who can discover their English names, even if it's through trial and error like that.

(And yeah, you're right--it's more than likely the R in Zorua's name will stay. Any chance it could be something entirely different?)

...or, you know, we could just wait a few months and find out the english names when they're released. Not to sound boring and old, or anything, but you young whippernspappers today are all so impatient :D

I agree that Zorua and Zoroark will either stay the same in english, or have a very minor alteration (like Rukario-Lucario). Since, as many have pointed out, they seem to be the Lucario line of this gen, so it makes sense.

But anyone else think it's wierd that legendaries always get to keep their original names when the others don't (with only a few exceptions)? I never understood that. I actually really love most of the english names, and most are really clever. But some of the translated pokes get an undeniably raw deal. Stunky, Lickilicky, and Bidoof (wtf?!), anyone?

Ophie
27th October 2010, 11:37 AM
Oh, it's fine--I'm willing to wait for the English-language release. I'm just wondering why there hadn't been an effort this time around like what I saw when the 3rd-generation games were new in Japan.

R_N
27th October 2010, 4:42 PM
There's probably been no effort because it's still mostly luck and random guessing to the point where it isn't really worth it.

For example, pre-4th gen I thought Mitsuhoney would be Combee
But even now, Combee.com is not a bought domain.

But anyone else think it's wierd that legendaries always get to keep their original names when the others don't (with only a few exceptions)? I never understood that. I actually really love most of the english names, and most are really clever. But some of the translated pokes get an undeniably raw deal. Stunky, Lickilicky, and Bidoof (wtf?!), anyone?

Legendaries are named with the specific intention of keeping their names (mostly) the same across the territories.

Lickylicky is a rough approximation of Beroberto's meaning. Stunky is more kosher then Skunpoo. Bidoof=Beaver doofus

or

beaver tooth, and it's played up as a lisp because of the giant buck tooth.

Ophie
27th October 2010, 9:34 PM
Aww, I liked seeing the enthusiasm like there was several years back. (This wasn't done through finding website domains, by the way.)

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th October 2010, 12:43 AM

Basically as Snowy said legendary names are now pretty much all specifically designed to be used across all regions and (at least for English names) many normal Pokemon just have their names translated from Japanese, like beroberoto which is (one of) the Japanese onomatopoeia for licking sounds, so licklicky at least stays true to that.

Speaking of truly awful names though:
Basurao --> Basserk (Bass+berserk)
Gamageroge --> Ribbitoad, Vibratoad
Tabunne --> Probabsly (Probably + babs, at least it's better than the Japanese name which literally means "Probably, right?")
Miruhogg --> Guardhog
Churine --> Tuleaf (Tulip + Leaf)
Meguroko --> Darkaidile (Dark + Eye + Crocodile)
Ishizumai --> Pebbell (Pebble + Dwell)
Iwapalace --> Stonehold (stronghold + stone), Turrock (Turret + Rock)
Zuruggu --> Sug (Sag + thug)
Yabukuron --> Garbag
Dasutodasu --> Garburst
Gichimiru --> Gothink
Denchula --> Electula
Tesseed --> Steed (Steel + Seed)
Hitomoshi --> Flandle (Flame + Candle)
Kibago --> Fangon
Kumasyun --> Snobear (Snow/Snot + bear)
Yuniran --> Unicell (uni+cell)
Daburan --> Doubucell (double + cell)
Zuruzukin --> Saggkin (Sagging + Skin)
Monmen --> Cottorb (Cotton + Orb)
Kurumayu --> Swaddleaf (Swaddle + leaf), Cocloak (Cocoon + Cloak)
Pokabu --> Swizzle (Swine + sizzle)
Dangoro --> Rokroll (rock + roll)
Munna --> Dreamir (dream + tapir)
Monozu --> Skullone (skull, lone + one, pron Skull-lone)
Jiheddo --> Headuo
Sazandora --> Thousandra, Hydragon
Erufuun --> Prankotton
Muurando --> Beardog
Choroneko --> Katburglar, Thiefeline or (just to finish with the worst one) Kleptomanicat. Yes it's too long. Doesn't stop it being awesome.

And yes as I said these are awful.

[aka]
28th October 2010, 1:30 AM
Basically as Snowy said legendary names are now pretty much all specifically designed to be used across all regions and (at least for English names) many normal Pokemon just have their names translated from Japanese, like beroberoto which is (one of) the Japanese onomatopoeia for licking sounds, so licklicky at least stays true to that.

Speaking of truly awful names though:
Meguroko --> Darkaidile (Dark + Eye + Crocodile)
Yabukuron --> Garbag
Dasutodasu --> Garburst
Gichimiru --> Gothink
Denchula --> Electula
Kibago --> Fangon
Yuniran --> Unicell (uni+cell)
Daburan --> Doubucell (double + cell)
Kurumayu --> Swaddleaf (Swaddle + leaf), Cocloak (Cocoon + Cloak)
Muurando --> Beardog
I think
Meguroko --> Crookodile / Crookedile (It's eyes look like a burglar's mask / Dark-types are mean, crooked.)
Denchura --> Voltula
Kibago --> Fangkid
Kurumayu --> Cloakoon (Actually inspired by your Cocloak)
I also think that they could keep Uniran, Daburan, and Ranculus, as well as Mulondo (Mustache+long+dog).

LexSuicune
28th October 2010, 3:00 AM
Fangkid? lol

Ophie
28th October 2010, 3:09 AM
A steed is a strong male horse, isn't it?

In any case, I think they should change Jiheaddo's name.

MetalFlygon08
28th October 2010, 3:12 AM
on the topic of Emboar, twas playtesting with a sav'd Reckless one, with all the coverage it gets with Head Smash, Flare Blitz and Wild bolt, it pretty much OHKO'd any pokemon that got in it's way, It has enough HP to take the recoil damage, but it won't sweep teams 0-6 becuase it will knock itself out after 4 or 5, assuming it strikes first (was baton passing to it from a ninjask for speed). Of course I only invested (iirc) 4 EV's in HP, or I did a weird spread...either way, when we gain access to reckless Emboar, it's gonna be a scary meta. He was built for it.

MetalFlygon08
28th October 2010, 3:13 AM
on the topic of Emboar, twas playtesting with a sav'd Reckless one, with all the coverage it gets with Head Smash, Flare Blitz and Wild bolt, it pretty much OHKO'd any pokemon that got in it's way, It has enough HP to take the recoil damage, but it won't sweep teams 0-6 becuase it will knock itself out after 4 or 5, assuming it strikes first (was baton passing to it from a ninjask for speed). Of course I only invested (iirc) 4 EV's in HP, or I did a weird spread...either way, when we gain access to reckless Emboar, it's gonna be a scary meta. He was built for it.

Mario with Lasers
28th October 2010, 3:29 AM

Frankly, I'd rather it had kept Thick Fat upon evolving and learned Slack Off, Swords Dance and Sleep Talk (NOT by breeding). It really had a chance of being a good defensive Fire-type pokémon. We already have Speed Boost Blaziken lol, who the hell needs to die to their own recoil moves.

Well actually I *think* Pre-Evo Stone Chaoboo would be good enough already if it learned the moves I listed...

[aka]
28th October 2010, 3:47 AM
Fangkid? lol
I heard it around somewhere on here; it kinda makes sense, since "kiba" is fang, and "go" could be a corruption of "ko" which is kid.

Lorde
28th October 2010, 3:51 AM
;11735067']I heard it around somewhere on here; it kinda makes sense, since "kiba" is fang, and "go" could be a corruption of "ko" which is kid.

Fangkid. Iris and Fangkid. I like it. It sounds like the name you'd give to a feral child or something. I've largely ignored Kibago for a while now since it doesn't look very appealing on it's own, but now that Onondo and Ononokusu have been revealed to be it's evolved forms, I think I'm starting to like it a whole lot more.

[aka]
28th October 2010, 3:57 AM
Fangkid. Iris and Fangkid. I like it. It sounds like the name you'd give to a feral child or something. I've largely ignored Kibago for a while now since it doesn't look very appealing on it's own, but now that Onondo and Ononokusu have been revealed to be it's evolved forms, I think I'm starting to like it a whole lot more.
Onondo still kinda freaks me out, though...I mean, how is it supposed to eat? O.o
It also kinda looks like an airplane. xD

MetalFlygon08
28th October 2010, 4:06 AM
Onondo's fangs seem so out of place compared to the others of it's family, I can imine some crazy antics in the anime with Kibago evolving and accidentally turning it's head, knocking over someone.

[aka]
28th October 2010, 4:25 AM
Onondo's fangs seem so out of place compared to the others of it's family, I can imine some crazy antics in the anime with Kibago evolving and accidentally turning it's head, knocking over someone.
I really hope his fangs stick out of Iris' hair...if he can even fit. O.o

R_N
28th October 2010, 4:28 AM
;11735154']I really hope his fangs stick out of Iris' hair...if he can even fit. O.o

I'm certain that that character trait will disappear upon evolution.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th October 2010, 7:06 AM
A steed is a strong male horse, isn't it?

In any case, I think they should change Jiheaddo's name.

Steed is in fact a male horse, yes. I was:

a) making the names as awful as I could possibly make them without calling them "Frogwarts"
b) Excited because I finally figured out tesshiido's name's meaning - it's a combination tetsu, "steel" and "seed" (okay, seed I knew already but).

And Jiheddo is litterally "Twohead" so I actually do think it's name will be something along the line of Heduo or something like that if they keep up the general trend of just translating the Japanese names into English if the pun still works.

R_N
28th October 2010, 7:44 AM
If the localizers don't find a way to work in Jiheddo's bowlcuts I will be : (

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th October 2010, 8:32 AM
If the localizers don't find a way to work in Jiheddo's bowlcuts I will be : (

Oooh, working the bowl cuts in could be hard...

anyway, I spent my precious class time today coming up with more awful names:

Jalorda --> Sirpent (Sir + serpent)
Koaruhii --> Uggling (ugly + duckling)
Marachachy --> Maractus (Maracas + cactus)
Shibishibudon --> Lampray (lamp, lamprey, ray)
Deathmas --> Maspirit (mask + spirit)
Darumakka --> Darumonkey
Mamepato --> Pijuff (pigeon + tough), Pigest (pigeon + chest)
Dangoro (again) --> Rollder (roll + boulder)
Bachuru --> Sparkula (spark + tarantula)
Morobareru --> Mushield (mushroom + shield)
Washibon --> Baygle (baby + eagle) (lol)

also, I figured out Otamaru's name meaning to :) Otamajakushi - tadpole and maro - someone with thin eyebrows. O.o And dotekkotsu too - doteppara "guts" and kotsu "bones"

Ophie
28th October 2010, 11:15 AM
Hmm, I thought Maracachi's name was a portmanteau of "maracas" and "mariachi," making it one of the likely candidates to keep its name when localized into English.

Lampray actually sounds very plausible. I'm curious on what they'll call Hihidaruma, since it's very heavily based on the daruma figurine, something not too familiarin western culture. (They're all over the place in every Chinatown, but I don't think most westerners know what they are.)

sinnedinho
28th October 2010, 11:25 AM
This game really takes me back to 1997, when I discovered Pok&#233;mon and started playing Yellow for the first time. I had to find everything out for the first time (type advantages, disadvantages, attack names etc etc etc), and now I'm playing in Japanese, so I get that whole new experience all over again. Now I can make out most of the attacks since my Japanese is decent now, but still... Another problem is that I just don't remember new Pok&#233;mon and city names 50&#37; of the time.

One of the attacks I could never find anywhere is 'mikiri' or something (I don't have my DS here to check it), does anyone know what this is?

Anyway, I'm in the 2nd gym town, I forgot it's name, and I'm really hopping on two thoughts here...

1. Yay! Finding everything out again! New pok&#233;mon that I don't know the types/roles (sweeper/tank etc) of...
2. Noes! There is so much I don't know and seem to remember, I don't know where to start! Every trainer has a new pok&#233;mon I've never seen before...

Anyone else who wished that on top of the 156 new ones, they should have used like 20-30ish from older generations, just to let us have some reference here and there? I never knew Pok&#233;mon could be so difficult...

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th October 2010, 11:39 AM
Hmm, I thought Maracachi's name was a portmanteau of "maracas" and "mariachi," making it one of the likely candidates to keep its name when localized into English.

Lampray actually sounds very plausible. I'm curious on what they'll call Hihidaruma, since it's very heavily based on the daruma figurine, something not too familiarin western culture. (They're all over the place in every Chinatown, but I don't think most westerners know what they are.)

I just assumed it was maracas and catchy but mariachi makes sense too. I do reckon Maraccachi, Maggyo, Symbolar, Chillarmy, Chillachino, Crimgan, Gigaiath, Swanna, Wargle and Emonga are most likely too keep a from of their Japanese names in English.

I still can't imagine what they're going to do with Darumakka and Hihidaruma. So long as it's not something like Burboon or something like that...

This game really takes me back to 1997, when I discovered Pokémon and started playing Yellow for the first time. I had to find everything out for the first time (type advantages, disadvantages, attack names etc etc etc), and now I'm playing in Japanese, so I get that whole new experience all over again. Now I can make out most of the attacks since my Japanese is decent now, but still... Another problem is that I just don't remember new Pokémon and city names 50% of the time.

One of the attacks I could never find anywhere is 'mikiri' or something (I don't have my DS here to check it), does anyone know what this is?

Anyway, I'm in the 2nd gym town, I forgot it's name, and I'm really hopping on two thoughts here...

1. Yay! Finding everything out again! New pokémon that I don't know the types/roles (sweeper/tank etc) of...
2. Noes! There is so much I don't know and seem to remember, I don't know where to start! Every trainer has a new pokémon I've never seen before...

Anyone else who wished that on top of the 156 new ones, they should have used like 20-30ish from older generations, just to let us have some reference here and there? I never knew Pokémon could be so difficult...

Mikiri is Detect.

And it is fun going through and finding all the new Pokemon for the first time in game, seeing their animations. If I hadn't already known their types some would have really thrown me - and some still do (Chobomaki, anyone?)

bookist
28th October 2010, 12:44 PM
I just wonder for tsutarja if they will call it serplant? Ugn that sounds stupid.

LexSuicune
28th October 2010, 4:15 PM
Why would they call it serplant? lol

Aurath8
28th October 2010, 5:15 PM

Well it's serpent, and a plant. Captain Obvious saves the day once again!

Lorde
28th October 2010, 11:03 PM

I don't know. I guess people like to make up names for the fun of it. I don't think the translators would go with "Serplant" though; they don't often go with obvious names. So names like Smugleaf, Pignite, and Wotter probably wouldn't even have crossed their minds. I did see a magazine article where Tsutarja was identified as "Smugleaf" by the editors, but that was just for the fun of it I believe.

Dr. Leggs
29th October 2010, 3:12 AM
Frankly, fan names always make me cringe... They're just... What? We can leave it to the developers to translate them... XD

Banana Knight Arthur
29th October 2010, 3:25 AM
Anyone else who wished that on top of the 156 new ones, they should have used like 20-30ish from older generations, just to let us have some reference here and there? I never knew Pokémon could be so difficult...

The whole point in not being able to find any gen I-IV pkmn BEFORE Nat.Dex is to emphasize the vast distance between Isshu and the other 4 regions, thats why everyone in Best Wishes is shell-shock-surprised to see a pikachu in Isshu, there it probably shares a rarity equal to Mew.

R_N
29th October 2010, 3:55 AM
Frankly, fan names always make me cringe... They're just... What? We can leave it to the developers to translate them... XD

BECAUSE THE NAMES SUCKS HERE LET ME LIST OFF SOME WAY WAY BETTER NAMES *list of horrible fan names*

alternatively fan names are betteru

Lorde
29th October 2010, 6:12 AM

Well I think the point of creating English fan names is so that English fans will be able to match a name with a face. It's much harder to do when you have a Japanese name, so people make an English name to make things simple. Smugleaf pretty much describes Tsutarja, so it sticks. I had trouble with a few names, but that was a while ago, when the Pokemon were brand new.

LexSuicune
29th October 2010, 6:45 AM
Smugleaf works.

Wotter. No. Just, no.

^^Yoshinichi^^
29th October 2010, 7:09 AM
Koaruhi and Swanna would be cool as Goslake and Swanette, and I think Draghetto and Hoodligan works for Zuruggu and Zuruzukin.

R_N
29th October 2010, 8:13 AM
I am most interested in what NoA will decide to do for Gear, Gigear, and Gigigear

We got Magnemite out of Coil so this will be exciting
I'm excited

BCVM22
29th October 2010, 8:17 AM
Draghetto

I would think they'd avoid this, because as much as it colloquially represents what Zuruggu is partially intended to be, "ghetto" brings with it a number of socioeconomic and potentially even racial connotations that I imagine they would prefer to avoid entirely.

I am most interested in what NoA will decide to do for Gear, Gigear, and Gigigear

Unoriginal, Unoriginaler and Unoriginalest.

Because they're unoriginal.

R_N
29th October 2010, 8:40 AM
I don't think those fit the character limit, bcvm22

^^Yoshinichi^^
29th October 2010, 8:47 AM
I would think they'd avoid this, because as much as it colloquially represents what Zuruggu is partially intended to be, "ghetto" brings with it a number of socioeconomic and potentially even racial connotations that I imagine they would prefer to avoid entirely.

Unoriginal, Unoriginaler and Unoriginalest.

Because they're unoriginal.

Fair enough point. Making puns off of Pokemon concepts and Japanese names is harder than it looks. At least there's nothing about the Pokemon that would cause a big hoopla like with Jynx.

Yeah, that family doesn't interest me too much, either. But their spinning is hypnotic.

BCVM22
29th October 2010, 9:09 AM
At least there's nothing about the Pokemon that would cause a big hoopla like with Jynx.

Not visually, no. And if the youth of the world have a problem with it, they can pull up their damn pants and get over it.

Yeah, that family doesn't interest me too much, either.

I was being facetious, as I believe Snowyarticuno picked up on.

Rakurai
29th October 2010, 11:37 AM
Loving all of the new TCG arts that were posted in today's update.

Especially the Jalorda one, which made it look even more smug then the Dream World art.

I think it's the TCG artists that truly bring out the essence of each Pokemon.

Lorde
29th October 2010, 12:56 PM
Koaruhi and Swanna would be cool as Goslake and Swanette, and I think Draghetto and Hoodligan works for Zuruggu and Zuruzukin.

For a minute there, I was having the hardest time remembering if we had any transgendered Pokemon, but then I saw the "ghetto" part instead, and remembered Zuruggu haha. In all seriousness though, I like the name Draghetto, despite it being a bit offensive. It certainly goes with Zuruggu to say the least. Hoodligan for Zuruzukin is also really creative so I applaud you. Your fan names are funny and accurate all at once.

SasakiThePikachu
29th October 2010, 2:43 PM
For a minute there, I was having the hardest time remembering if we had any transgendered Pokemon, but then I saw the "ghetto" part instead, and remembered Zuruggu haha. I like that, despite it being a bit offensive. It certainly goes with Zuruggu to say the least. Hoodligan for Zuruzukin is also really creative so I applaud you. Your fan names are funny and accurate all at once.

Haha. Says a lot about us, doesn't it? :D

I'd like the Gear line to stay the same in English...let's face it, they don't need to change to make perfect sense. But Nintendo of America suck, so they probably will change anyway.

Apart from Smugleaf, which just works, fan names are pointless and confuse me. I had enough trouble learning all the new japanese names, then the changes to the new japanese names 'jaroda-jalorda', 'sazando-sazandora', and pretty soon I'll have to learn all the english names too. With my brain already melting down my throat, I don't need any more to remember, thank you.

myriada
29th October 2010, 3:50 PM
[...] 'sazando-sazandora', [...]Eh, there was never any change in Sazandora's name, just in the rush to get info out the last letter was forgotten about.

Hejiru
29th October 2010, 4:42 PM
Well, anyobdy can read my ideas in my sig. I really just came in to say I think it'd be totally epic if Tsutarja really was named Smugleaf, since it's become something of a mini-meme.

R_N
29th October 2010, 6:26 PM
Loving all of the new TCG arts that were posted in today's update.

Especially the Jalorda one, which made it look even more smug then the Dream World art.

I think it's the TCG artists that truly bring out the essence of each Pokemon.

I absolutely loathe the Koromori, whose nose is supposed to be more like a real bat's nose and not a straight cylinder, & Megucroc, whose limbs and body are not agreeing proportion wise

Luxrayess
29th October 2010, 7:28 PM
Wotter. No. Just, no.

Agreed. Aquotter would work though.

(Greek and Latin roots make everything sound better. :D)

RedMage23
29th October 2010, 8:08 PM
Smugleaf will always be Smugleaf to me now...

Lorde
29th October 2010, 10:22 PM
Well, anyobdy can read my ideas in my sig. I really just came in to say I think it'd be totally epic if Tsutarja really was named Smugleaf, since it's become something of a mini-meme.

A meme you say? Never heard of it. I think people should have waited to get it's English name officially revealed before starting such things though, just to be on the safe side. Anyway, I'm not all found of the name "Smugleaf" but I wouldn't be surprised if that's Tsutarja's final name. Most people predict the English names of certain Pokemon quite easily. I remember someone here accurately predicting that Naetle would be dubbed Turtwig back in 2007.