PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

R_N
15th November 2010, 9:15 AM
Any particular reason for Tabunne?

koolhk
15th November 2010, 9:18 AM
Ever since the games were released I thought Tabunne may become the next Chansey in every way including getting an evolution and pre-evolution in future generations. It would be a very cute evolution line^_^

Sabonea_Masukippa
15th November 2010, 10:02 AM
Any particular reason for Tabunne?

Ever since the games were released I thought Tabunne may become the next Chansey in every way including getting an evolution and pre-evolution in future generations. It would be a very cute evolution line^_^

Pretty much what koolhk said + the fact that it's not quite at the so-hard-to-kill-it-makes-me-want-to-burn-things level yet and an evo would really help it make me tear my hair out. :P

Also, shadowy chin of doom needs more spotlight time.

Copley Hill Gym
15th November 2010, 1:18 PM
Finally trained up my first 5th Generation to level 100 - an Ononokuso.

The stats are as follows (EV spread is 252 attack, 252 speed, 6 HP)

HP: 272
Attack: 432
Defense: 171
Special Attack: 150
Special Defense: 176
Speed: 291

Max stats in attack and speed, due to IVs of 31 in those stats, I believe. I am not sure on the rest, but they are not spectacular. Its nature increases attack and decreases defense.

Overall, it's faster than my adamant Garchomp (who has the same EV spread, and 31 IVs in attack and speed), and more powerful in attack.

But Garchomp has significantly more bulk overall, and that stems from the HP stat being significantly higher than Ononokuso, despite its defenses not being higher by very much.

That might be the clincher for whether this Pokemon makes it as OU or not, I find it's quite a delicate Pokemon but with absolutely huge firepower potential.

That said, I am finding this particular example to be exceptional on the battle subway - Outrage/X-Scissor/Dragon Dance/Earthquake with a leftovers pretty much making mincemeat of the opposition, provided you time the dragon dances carefully.

Lorde
15th November 2010, 6:51 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4668/615.gif

Furijiro looks better when it's sprite is animated. I like that it's based on a sekka, which is also the name of the city where Hachiku's Furijiro is battled.

Tabunne is no Chansey though. It's pretty common compared to Chansey and even though it gives out more experience than other Pokemon at the beginning of the games, it's not too difficult to defeat in battle. I don't know if Tabunne deserves an evolved form or a pre-evolved form. It might get one but it's not completely necessary. Speaking of Pokemon that haven't evolved: I still think Maggyo is funny to look at and it's animated sprite is now my personal favorite from B/W.

MetalFlygon08
15th November 2010, 8:01 PM
If anything, SnowflakeFace might getan alternate form tying in to that frozen rock in the mines you can find it at.

Mario with Lasers
15th November 2010, 8:16 PM

Oh man, I got it. It's not an angry pokémon, it's just a black sphere with blue eyes encased in (or hiding behind, whatever) a weird snowflake/mirror crystal-like armor. The fact it has, like, a 1% encounter rate in the whole game (5% during winter) just further proves he's not angry, just... shy.

It just wants to be loved :<

Slowemperor
15th November 2010, 9:29 PM

Oh man, I got it. It's not an angry pokémon, it's just a black sphere with blue eyes encased in (or hiding behind, whatever) a weird snowflake/mirror crystal-like armor. The fact it has, like, a 1% encounter rate in the whole game (5% during winter) just further proves he's not angry, just... shy.

It just wants to be loved :<

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1f/Spr_b_g5_615.png

Nope, no sphere. Just a snowflake. A weird snowflake. At least it doesn't look as misplaced as Crimgan.

pikachu500
16th November 2010, 12:20 AM
I have this creepy feeling that the next gen will be a lot like the 2nd. Having must of the Pokemon evolves from Isshu. Ewww. Tabunne is the only one I would be happy with.

Super Beaver
16th November 2010, 12:42 AM
I'm loving Kyurem

Also, where can I view the moving 5th gen sprites?

R_N
16th November 2010, 12:46 AM
I have this creepy feeling that the next gen will be a lot like the 2nd. Having must of the Pokemon evolves from Isshu. Ewww. Tabunne is the only one I would be happy with.

really

you're already complaining about evolutions that may or may not happen before we have even an idea of what will be happening for even the 3rd game

pikachu500
16th November 2010, 12:51 AM
really

you're already complaining about evolutions that may or may not happen before we have even an idea of what will be happening for even the 3rd game
Yes, yes I am. Once a gen comes out we must go to the next!

LexSuicune
16th November 2010, 1:25 AM
Guys, what is your new favourite legendary?

For me it has to be Reshiram, it's so elegant, and angel-like, I love it, wish it wasn't a fire type though.

Also, Keldeo, I'm a water type trainer and I love it's based on the legend of the Kelpie, cutie.

^^Yoshinichi^^
16th November 2010, 2:27 AM

For me it has to be Reshiram, it's so elegant, and angel-like, I love it, wish it wasn't a fire type though.

Also, Keldeo, I'm a water type trainer and I love it's based on the legend of the Kelpie, cutie.

My favourites are Reshiram, Victini, and Genesect.

You're right, Reshiram does look elegant. I'm glad it's a Fire type, though. I mean, it heats the world's atmosphere. That's a pretty cool ability. Not to mention white and blue are the hottest colour of flame, which explains Reshiram's colouration perfectly.

Victini is a cutie. I always had the idea that it could be Psychic/Fire, so I was glad to see I was right. The fact that it's known as the Victory Pokemon is really neat.

And then there's Genesect. I think it's cool they made a Plasma-equivalent of Mewtwo. What I don't like is how there's only four cassettes, so Techno Buster isn't as useful as Judgment. Well, I guess that's the point. Heh.

Lorde
16th November 2010, 2:53 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1f/Spr_b_g5_615.png

Nope, no sphere. Just a snowflake. A weird snowflake. At least it doesn't look as misplaced as Crimgan.

I hadn't seen it's back sprite until now, so I also thought that it might just be a black sphere incased in ice. I still haven't found a Furiijio in the games and I've been playing for months now. I guess they are rare, though I have searched for them during the winter as well. I heard that Furiijio could also possibly be based on Hrimthurs, Nordic giants who were made of ice.

Mario with Lasers
16th November 2010, 3:08 AM
My favorite new legendary is Nattorei.

...What ?_?

R_N
16th November 2010, 3:39 AM
OH RIGHT I almost forgot after posting in MwL's profile
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/platformer&#37;20pics/vulturethingy.jpg
HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT FACE

^^Yoshinichi^^
16th November 2010, 3:51 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/platformer%20pics/vulturethingy.jpg

Another James Pokemon, eh? I have a dirty mind, so whenever I hear Vuljina, it makes me quiver. I was thinking of using it for my flying Pokemon, but Kokoromori gets that spot. I'm not crazy about the design, but it's not terrible. I kinda don't like the fact Wargle and Vuljina have set Genders, but I guess it's pretty neat.

Banana Knight Arthur
16th November 2010, 5:23 AM

For me Terrakion, Keldio and Genosect.

Genosect is the most kickass pokemon, stands in the echelon of Mewtwo for me.

wafiazizul
16th November 2010, 6:16 AM

from beginning my interest still on Zekrom,,,he looks very2 cool and evillish~ yeah!!

koolhk
16th November 2010, 6:35 AM

I personally think that alot of the generation 5 Pokemon could have good pre-evolutions, evolutions and side-evolutions^_^

R_N
16th November 2010, 6:50 AM
I personally think that alot of the generation 5 Pokemon could have good pre-evolutions, evolutions and side-evolutions^_^

I believe in you Crimgan

Shoot for the stars, you can do it!

^^Yoshinichi^^
16th November 2010, 7:29 AM
I believe in you Crimgan

Shoot for the stars, you can do it!

Crimgan should have an adorable little pre-evolution with cute little teeth and beady yellow eyes. <:

R_N
16th November 2010, 7:41 AM
Crimgan should have an adorable little pre-evolution with cute little teeth and beady yellow eyes. <:

Yes and also yes

But he should also get an evolution. Maybe get a secondary typing.

^^Yoshinichi^^
16th November 2010, 7:44 AM
Yes and also yes

But he should also get an evolution. Maybe get a secondary typing.

Dragon/Rock, maybe, if those belly things are rocks. I think somebody said it's part gargoyle.

R_N
16th November 2010, 8:17 AM
I wouldn't mind Dragon/Grass
The spikes sort of resemble thorns and the wings leaves. The shiny coloring especially makes him seem like a plant.

But those are probably coincidental.

Mr. E Goods
16th November 2010, 10:53 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/platformer%20pics/vulturethingy.jpg

It reminds me of a hooker..... Kind of like the Loppuny of this gen.

I love that Snowflakes backsprite, better than the front, it makes it a little more appealing. The ice types of this gen are truly weird.

wafiazizul
16th November 2010, 12:16 PM
It reminds me of a hooker..... Kind of like the Loppuny of this gen.

but Lopunny much more better than Barujina~ Seeing Barujina reminds me about the black brown brush in beauty and the beast~ the one that maid used~haha~

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th November 2010, 12:57 PM

And Chillarmy's pre-evo. Imagine it as Pichu V2. You know it's coming.

And the creepy monobrow of the Nageki/Dageki joint pre-evo.

And the Gochiruzeru male-only evo that will inspire much disturbing fan-art.

And ... no, must stop.

I have to say though, at first I thought they might have done a Gen 1 and designed a couple of "extras" as evos for next gen in advanced, but now I'm sure that that's an out-there possibility at best. Gen 6 won't necessarily be Gen 2 version 2.0.

Super Beaver
16th November 2010, 6:40 PM
Alot of 5th gen pok&#233;mon evolve at a really high level..

Does anyone know why?

Dracoste
16th November 2010, 6:44 PM
Alot of 5th gen pokémon evolve at a really high level..

Does anyone know why?

Because some pokémon you catch at a high lvl. like washibon on lvl. 34 and it evolves on lvl. 54. thats only 20 lvls. And you also can get the lucky egg from prof. Araragi

Super Beaver
16th November 2010, 6:54 PM
Because some pokémon you catch at a high lvl. like washibon on lvl. 34 and it evolves on lvl. 54. thats only 20 lvls. And you also can get the lucky egg from prof. Araragi

I see..

But pokémon one caught at high level in previous generations, still evolved at quite a low level, in comparison.

LexSuicune
16th November 2010, 9:06 PM
Anyone happens to find Meraruba incredibly similar tu Arceus? LOL

Lorde
16th November 2010, 9:30 PM
http://img574.imageshack.us/img574/3001/baibanira.gif
I used to dislike Baibanira so much a couple of months ago when it was revealed, but now I think I'm starting to like it a little more, just a little. It looks like it's name is a combination of 倍 bai, double, or the English prefix bi-, double, and vanilla. The vanilla part makes sense since it's based on an ice cream cone. It looks more like it could be the "Double Vanilla Pokemon" than the "Blizzard Pokemon" to me.

Sakrey
16th November 2010, 9:56 PM
Who can resist against its funny back-face ?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/fa/Spr_b_g5_584.png

:·)

WhySoYellow
16th November 2010, 10:16 PM
This is my third favourite Pokemon in 5th Gen, first two being Zeburaika and this puerile Ground/Electric fish.

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th November 2010, 11:34 PM
I see..

But pokémon one caught at high level in previous generations, still evolved at quite a low level, in comparison.

Yes, they did and it often lead to you only have the pre-evo for 2-5 levels before evolve, so GF may have decided to 'fix' the 'problem.' Plus, many of the ones that evolve late are quite strong and/or rare, so I guess that kinda justifies it.

A couple of weeks back I did an 'average' evo level of each gen and if memory serves, Gens 1-4 averaged about 27-29 where as Gen 5 was about level 32 or 33, just as a comparison for you.

Ophie
17th November 2010, 12:23 PM
I determined its name to be Bivanilla ever since I took a good long look at it. You'd be surprised at how many Pok&#233;mon's Japanese names have their basis entirely or almost entirely on western words. Tangrowth, for instance, is actually Mojumbo, despite everyone calling it Mojanbo.

I very rarely see those sorts of ice cream cones, sadly.

By the way, the middle stage of that ice cream line seems to be "Vanirich."

I see..

But pok&#233;mon one caught at high level in previous generations, still evolved at quite a low level, in comparison.

Do you mean the 1st generation games? As far as I can recall, it followed the same evolution levels convention too--if it can still evolve by level, it won't take long. For instance, Geodude can be found very early on and evolves at Level 25, around the time that you'll need a power boost in your Pok&#233;mon to keep up. Goldeen can only be caught using the Good Rod or Super Rod, when you'll find it in the 20s. Thus, it evolves at Level 33, a bit above the levels you should find it. Omanyte and Kabuto show up at Level 30, so they evolve at Level 40.

The main difference between the 1st generation and the 5th, in this aspect, is that you continue finding bottom-stage Pok&#233;mon all the way up until the Pok&#233;mon League whereas Kanto would just fill up its latter areas with Pok&#233;mon who already evolved or Pok&#233;mon who don't evolve.

wafiazizul
17th November 2010, 1:16 PM
I determined its name to be Bivanilla ever since I took a good long look at it. You'd be surprised at how many Pokémon's Japanese names have their basis entirely or almost entirely on western words. Tangrowth, for instance, is actually Mojumbo, despite everyone calling it Mojanbo.

I very rarely see those sorts of ice cream cones, sadly.

By the way, the middle stage of that ice cream line seems to be "Vanirich."

Vanirich~ i think it is interesting name~ short-form of Vanilla Rich~ they loved to combine two words together to form pokemon names~ like Victiny,Gear, Wargle and so on~ but i think there not so much western names in BW than past gen~ just imo~

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th November 2010, 2:43 PM
I determined its name to be Bivanilla ever since I took a good long look at it.

"bai" is also the word for double/multiple in Japanese, so it kinda works on two levels.

Vanirich~ i think it is interesting name~ short-form of Vanilla Rich~ they loved to combine two words together to form pokemon names~ like Victiny,Gear, Wargle and so on~ but i think there not so much western names in BW than past gen~ just imo~

Let's list all the names with a Western influence shall we? :P I'll list the ones that also have some Japanese influence too.

Victini (victory + tiny/tini)
Janovy (ivy)
Jalorda (lord)
Emboar (Ember + boar)
Miruhoggu (groundhog)
Yorterri - Yorkshire Terrier
Harderier (possible hair + terrier)
Mulando - mustache, long + dog
Leopardas - Leopard
Yanappu - ape
Yanakkie - monkey
Baoppu - ape
Baokkie - monkey
Hiyappu - ape
Hiyakkie - monkey
Zebraika - zebra
Gantle - mantle
Gigaiath - giga, gaia, goliath
Wheega - Wheel (aka Hoiiga)
Pendra - from the scientific name of a centipede species
Tuline - Tulip (aka Churine)
Doladia - lady
Basurao - Bass
Waruvile - vile/crocodile
Waruvial - gavial (crocodile-like)
Maraccachi - maracas and either catchy (as in a catchy song) or mariachi
Zurug - thug
Zuruzukin - skin
Symbolar - symbol
Deathmas - death mask
Deathkahn - death + also a possible corruption of Tutankhamen (or a play on 'kan' which means coffin in Japanese)
Protorga - proto + tortgua (Spanish for turtle)
Archeon - corruption of archaeopteryx
Archeos - corruption of archaeopteryx
Dustdas - dust (used in the English sense to mean garbage)
Zorua - Zoro (Spanish for fox)
Zoroark - Zoro (above) + dark
Chillarmy - chinchilla
Chillachino - Chinchilla
Gochimu - gothic
Gochimiru - gothic
Gochiruzeru - gothic + mademoiselle
Uniran - Uni (meaning one)
Douburan - double
Swanna - Swan
Vanipetti - vanilla + french for small
Vanirich - vanilla + rich
Baivanilla (possibly bi- meaning two - see top of post) + vanilla
Shubargo - French for Knight + French 'escargo' snails
Pururiru - pull
Burungeru - possible blue
Denchula - tarantula
Tesseed - seed
Gearu - gear
Gigearu - gear
Gigigearu - gear
Rigray - ray
Orbem - orbit
Lamplar - lamp
Chanedla - Chandelier
Tsunbear - bear
Freezio - freeze
Gobitto - golem
Goluug - golem
Baffalon - baffalo + afro
Wargle - war + eagle
Vulchai - vulture + child
Vulxena - vultcure + Xena
Irant - iron + ant
Monozu - mono
Jihead - head
Sazandra - dragon/hydra
Melarva (Meraruba) - larvae
Ulgamoth - moth
Cobalon - cobalt
Terrakion - terracotta
Virizion - viridian
Torneros - tornedo
Boltoros - (lightning)bolt
Landros - land
Meloetta - melody
Genesect - genome (?) + insect

Your opinion on whether this is a lot may vary.

wafiazizul
17th November 2010, 3:15 PM
Wow~ thats many~ before that i just thinking about combining 2 western words,, but when thinking again, there were these many~ i wonder how will their US names will be and how many japanese name they will use this time~

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th November 2010, 3:51 PM
Wow~ thats many~ before that i just thinking about combining 2 western words,, but when thinking again, there were these many~ i wonder how will their US names will be and how many japanese name they will use this time~

Well, there are a few categories of English names:

1. More or less the Japanese name - no English meaning: Stuff like Pikachu, Hariyama (Hariteyama), which has no real meaning in English but is kept. Maybe Emonga would fit (although the E is probably from electricity) here.

2. Romanized version of the Japanese name - stuff like Kyatapii --> Caterpie, Donfan --> Donphan. Possibly stuff like Lamplar, Chandelar, Symbolar and Crimgan will be here.

3. Names that use one of the English words from the Japanese names and adds another English word (often, but not always, translated from the Japanese word in the original name). Stuff like Donmel --> Numel, Mimilop --> Lopunny, Yadoking --> Slowking, Kekking --> Slaking. So, for example, maybe something like Thundula for Denchula or Zebrike (Zebra + strike) for for Zeburaika (zebra + Japanese for thunder and lightning).

4. Names that try and translate the pun/portmanteau/meaning of from Japanese. Stuff like Bakphoon (baku "explosion" + typhoon) becoming Typhlosion (typhoon + explosion), Ringuma (ring + bear) --> Ursaring, Gamale (moth + male) --> Mothim, Usokkie (lie + tree) sudowoodo (pseudo-wood). So, for example Dustdas's name means to expose/put out garbage, so something like Garburst (garbage + burst) might work.

5. Names that come from random places. Stuff like Fushigidane (Odd + Seed) --> Bulbasaur. Expect this sort of thing for the starters, often happens to them. This would be the stop where Morobareru (two/both hands + to be exposed/let the cat out of the bag) could become something like Mushield (mushroom + shield).

From my very unscientific look over the Japanese names, it seems like 2 and 5 types are most common and it seems that NoA will try and keep the English names as close to the Japanese ones as possible/feasible. Of course, with few notable exceptions since first gen legendaries have (with the Exception of Emrit (Mespirirt - not too different) and Agunomu/Azelf) kept their Japanese names with only a few minor spelling variants used (eg, Crecelia/Cresselia) cropping up. (Of course, legendary names are designed to be used international now, so there's that...)

wafiazizul
17th November 2010, 4:30 PM
Sugeee~ your thought is amazing~ i think that the English name is easier to remember than japanese name,,,until now i still can't remember all the BW pokemon names~ haha~

Super Beaver
17th November 2010, 5:02 PM
Tsutarja has by far the most swag out of all the starter pok&#233;mon to date.

[aka]
18th November 2010, 3:40 AM
Let's list all the names with a Western influence shall we? :P I'll list the ones that also have some Japanese influence too.

I believe you forgot Rankurusu : Ranculus (Ran, "chaos" + Homonculus).

R_N
18th November 2010, 4:44 AM
I wouldn't call Homunculus westeren influence

don't science terms generally stay standard across everywhere?

Sabonea_Masukippa
18th November 2010, 5:43 AM
Oh, oops forgot that one :P

Also, I believe the 'ran' in Uniran, Douburan and Ranculus refers to eggs/cells and all that good stuff to do with fertilization and splitting cells etc.

As in it comes from the alternate reading of 卵 (tamago 'egg') 'ran' which is used in compound words.

R_N
18th November 2010, 7:07 AM
Er...would not, I mean.
Interesting stuff about "ran"

Sabonea_Masukippa
18th November 2010, 7:29 AM
Oh right, well homunculus is still a Western word that's been adopted into the language (fairly recently), so it's still a Western influence on the name.

As an example, a Western made English-Japanese dictionary (Jim Breem) lists ホムンクルス homunkurusu as the only equivalent of homunculus, which is derivative from the English.

Whereas, a Japanese made English-Japanese dictionary (dictionary.goo.ne.au) lists homunculus's meanings as 小人 (dwarf) 胎児 (foetus) and two words for mannequin.

So yeah, it seems from my brief research (also some apart from the dictionaries) that while homunculus is used in science in Japanese, Japanese origin words are used in regular speech, so, probably the average 10 year old isn't going to know the word.

Either way, it's still a cool name :P

Ophie
18th November 2010, 12:33 PM
Hmm, that's quite interesting--I wonder, now, how many things the Yuniran line is based on. Looks like we have some pretty strong cases for them being based on cells and homunculi, though Yuniran's Pok&#233;dex description still leaves me convinced that tardigrades are an influence on their design. It says that Yuniran, due to the coating, can live in any environment, and tardigrades are quite the polyextremophile (organisms that can live in multiple types of extreme environments).

Kind of like how Corphish is based on the crayfish, but it's the Pok&#233;dex description that leads me to believe its basis is specifically the Louisiana crayfish, as it's the only type that can live in muddy and polluted water, just as Corphish does.

Finding a nickname for Rankles is going to be difficult. It's the only one of the two initial teams I have not yet been able to come up with a nickname for yet.

My theme, by the way, are given names. That is, all of my Pok&#233;mon have names a human would receive. They're also all based on the Pok&#233;mon themselves. The ones I have planned:
Bivanilla - Ben&Jerry
Agilder - Sasuke
Buffalon - Bill
Chandeler - Chandler
Elfoon - Claudia
Rankles - ???

Gigigear - Guillermo
Ohbem - Marciano
Morobareru - Rothschild
Hihidaruma - Boone
Iwapalace - Hawthorne
Hiyakkie - Maria

Any suggestions? It really bugs me that I've come up with a nickname for all of the other Pok&#233;mon, but not this one.

R_N
18th November 2010, 6:09 PM
Call him Roosevelt

wafiazizul
18th November 2010, 7:51 PM
i guess its really took time to give a name to a pokemon~

[aka]
18th November 2010, 9:14 PM
Oh, oops forgot that one :P

Also, I believe the 'ran' in Uniran, Douburan and Ranculus refers to eggs/cells and all that good stuff to do with fertilization and splitting cells etc.

As in it comes from the alternate reading of 卵 (tamago 'egg') 'ran' which is used in compound words.
You mean the "onyomi"? I'm familiar with Kanji; just not egg, apparently. xD

Well, what does the Dex have to say? Does it give credence to either theory?

Rankles - ???

Any suggestions? It really bugs me that I've come up with a nickname for all of the other Pokémon, but not this one.
You could name it "Gluttony" after the homonculus of the same name from Fullmetal Alchemist. They're similar in appearance, if not ability.

Since we're doing nicknames... >:D

Victini : NIXON
Symbolar : Malachi
Golug : Joshua (The Americanization of a nice Jewish name.)
Reshiram : Reshi (From the book, The Name Of The Wind)
Chandelure : Lucien (From the Latin lux for light.)
Yorterrie : Alistair
Baoppu : Fuego
Munna : Ramone
Mamepato : Robert
Shimama : Cedric
Gantle : Bob
Koromori : Carrie
Tabunne : Jim
Dageki : Miyagi (You get this...right?)
Kurumiru : Paul
Bassrao : Mars (God of war, violence Pokémon...yeah.)
Meguroko : Hendrix
Darumakka : Darma
Zurugg : Consuela
Deathmas : Acar
Yabukuron : Shanaynay (Cause it's trashy?)
Ranculus : Gluttony (FMA)
Swanna : Odette (Swan Lake)
Bivanilla : Robbins (If I got another one, I'd name it Baskin.)
Emonga : ACTION
Tamagetake : Tom
Mamanbou : Eric
Bachuru : Electra
Geer : Ron (An engineer that I know)
Shibishirasu : Elijah (Get it!? xD)
Kibago : Fang (Not proud of this one. >.>)
Pururiru : Drusilla (Buffy reference)
Freezio : Freeza
Maggyo : Maggy
Zoroark : Miyavi (M) or Gaga (F)
Quitaran : Arthur (Like the kid's show)
Kojofu : Shiggy
Fushide : Alexis
Chillarmy : Leah
Vulchi : Jezebel
Chevargot : Joan or Hilde
Zhead : Zane
Daikenki : Koji
Agilder : Sousuke
Mebukijika : Hunter (For the irony)
Melarva : Liam
Komatana : Oliver (Power Rangers ref)
Protorga : Crush (Finding Nemo ref)
Crimgan : Kitty (Monsters Inc. ref)
Musketeers : Athos, Portos, and Aramis
Kyurem : Kory (A pun on "こおり" [koori])

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th November 2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I really don't think Ranculus and co. are meant to be "chaotic"...there's nothing chaotic about them, yet they're obviously meant to represent the life-cycle of a cell basically.

Also...I really think we're going to get a Psychic/Poison Daburan split-evo though. Some kind of viral cell or something.

Atoyont
19th November 2010, 12:24 AM
Viruses aren't and do not have cells.

/biologynitpick

R_N
19th November 2010, 12:28 AM
Also...I really think we're going to get a Psychic/Poison Daburan split-evo though. Some kind of viral cell or something.

I am, like...90% sure that that kind of goes against what a virus is. It would also be weird for a line based on having an ultra-protective coat getting infected.

I highly doubt the line will get a split evo

Lorde
19th November 2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I really don't think Ranculus and co. are meant to be "chaotic"...there's nothing chaotic about them, yet they're obviously meant to represent the life-cycle of a cell basically.

Maybe they meant the card game.

In all seriousness though, I always thought that the "ran" part of Rankurusu's name came from 卵 (ran) meaning "spawn" and not 乱 (ran) meaning "disorder" or "chaos". Well, I guess you learn something new everyday. I agree that there really isn't anything chaotic about Rankurusu (unless you count how it's so chaotically cute!), so I was more inclined to believe it's name was derived from the Japanese word for spawn and homunculus. Anyway, I've changed my signature to match the topic of conversation :]

LexSuicune
19th November 2010, 1:30 AM
Are there any Ranculus plushies? I think it's so plushable <3

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th November 2010, 2:40 AM
Well, I guess I didn't mean a "virus", but basically how some cells mess up during reproduction and turn cancerous.

But I felt weird saying I wanted a cancer Pokemon. :0

koolhk
19th November 2010, 2:48 AM
Are there any Ranculus plushies? I think it's so plushable <3

None have been announced yet I believe.

R_N
19th November 2010, 5:07 AM
Well, I guess I didn't mean a "virus", but basically how some cells mess up during reproduction and turn cancerous.

But I felt weird saying I wanted a cancer Pokemon. :0

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/a7/098Krabby.png/180px-098Krabby.png

Done!

Grei
19th November 2010, 5:56 AM
;11776433']
Mamanbou : Eric

?

I'm intrigued.

Dracoste
19th November 2010, 7:59 AM
Well, I guess I didn't mean a "virus" , but basically how some cells mess up during reproduction and turn cancerous.

I think you mean the word "mutation", and a mutation doesn't always leads to cancer, a mutation can also lead to albino or a new species, or in the pokémon world: shiny pokémon.

Nacreous
19th November 2010, 8:00 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/a7/098Krabby.png/180px-098Krabby.png

Done!

haha...funny^^

[aka]
19th November 2010, 4:40 PM
?

I'm intrigued.
There's not technically any "logic" behind the nickname; I caught a male Mamanbo and it looked like an "Eric" to me. ^_^

R_N
19th November 2010, 7:17 PM
None have been announced yet I believe.

iirc, once the anime starts, they begin to release plush based on the Pokemon that had premiered/starred in that episode. I'll take a guess and say we'll see at least Uniran by the time they get to Hiun or maybe the Resort Desert.
The 4th city at the latest.

Related news: someone made an Elefuun plush
http://i52.*******.com/avlheb.jpg

Mr. E Goods
19th November 2010, 10:03 PM
I am, like...90% sure that that kind of goes against what a virus is. It would also be weird for a line based on having an ultra-protective coat getting infected.

I highly doubt the line will get a split evo

A white blood cell or something?

LexSuicune
19th November 2010, 10:13 PM
Aw that Elfoon plushie is adorable XD.

I want my Ranculus plush :/

MistaBuck
19th November 2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know if you guys know, or ever If i'm allowed to post this here, but I've found some scans with sugimori artwork in them (http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-382.html#more)

Lorde
19th November 2010, 10:25 PM
I don't know if you guys know, or ever If i'm allowed to post this here, but I've found some scans with sugimori artwork in them (http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-382.html#more)

Wow, those are amazing. I wish they had been put through a scanner but it's still nice to see most of the missing Pokemon Ken Sugimori artwork. Maggyo looks as goofy-looking as ever, but Kyurem looks pretty good there. It still has those little arms but that's fine. The Grass/Steel Pokemon looks cooler with it's official artwork out; I still don't know it's name haha. I wonder when we'll be getting the rest of the artwork for the Legendary Pokemon; probably in the coming days but I can't wait! :3

Oshakpop
19th November 2010, 10:26 PM
FINALLY!

English names for Starters on Monday :D EEK!

lindsy95
19th November 2010, 10:41 PM
Huh? really? Where? :B

JohnLee
19th November 2010, 10:44 PM
Huh? really? Where? :B

http://www.pokemon.com/us/

On the official US website.

Munchy
19th November 2010, 10:46 PM
Pokemon.com will announce the starters on Monday.

EDIT: Beaten.

MistaBuck
19th November 2010, 10:47 PM
http://blog-imgs-47-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/3_20101119223236.png

Lorde
19th November 2010, 10:49 PM

On the official US website.

Oh my gosh, that's new. That's quite a surprise since I hadn't expected to get the English names for the Isshu Starters until early 2011. I'm hoping for Smugleaf, Pignite, and Wotter just because I've gotten so used to those fan-names over the last few months and they've stuck with me. Well, whatever their names will be, at least we'll be getting some official English 5th Generation information.

lindsy95
19th November 2010, 10:51 PM
oooo, I can't wait!

Oh, the new sugimori art, from the book, looks nice.

Makes Kyurem look awesome.

Banana Knight Arthur
19th November 2010, 10:55 PM
Oh my gosh, that's new. That's quite a surprise since I hadn't expected to get the English names for the Isshu Starters until early 2011. I'm hoping for Smugleaf, Pignite, and Wotter just because I've gotten so used to those fan-names over the last few months and they've stuck with me. Well, whatever their names will be, at least we'll be getting some official English 5th Generation information.

As much as I hate those names, I think we may very well get one or more of these as the ACTUAL names........

Banana Knight Arthur
19th November 2010, 10:56 PM

As much as I hate those names, I think we may very well get one or more of these as the ACTUAL names........

JohnLee
19th November 2010, 10:58 PM

Your guesses are as good as mine, but I'm just happy we're getting something pokemon related while I'm on Thanksgiving break. Since this time last year we had the Arceus movie and I was expecting the new movie to happen in November as well.

Mario with Lasers
19th November 2010, 11:05 PM
Nattorei, as awesome as ever.

Munchy
19th November 2010, 11:10 PM
http://blog-imgs-47-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/3_20101119223236.pngHmm, all I can see is an error page?

MistaBuck
19th November 2010, 11:15 PM
I put it on my site. see it now? (http://rogerbuck.com/legend.png)

Munchy
19th November 2010, 11:24 PM
I put it on my site. see it now? (http://rogerbuck.com/legend.png)Yes, thanks a bundle :)

Oshakpop
19th November 2010, 11:26 PM

:O Where are these from?!

MistaBuck
19th November 2010, 11:31 PM
:O Where are these from?!

I found 'em here (http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-381.html)

Lorde
19th November 2010, 11:31 PM

Oh la la, Virizion looks sassy in it's Ken Sugimori artwork. I love it and it's always been my favorite Musketeer trio Pokemon. Cobalon looks a bit better than I had expected as well, so that's good. Terrakion on the other hand, just looks fine. I don't like it any more or any less than before. As for Landlos, Voltolos, and Tornelos: I think they're all just neat.

R_N
19th November 2010, 11:33 PM
OOOooo, nice. It shouldn't be too long until high-quality scans of the book start coming out but this is a great teaser.

It really helps bring out some of the details better, like how Sazandora just has wisps/tails for feet or that Kyurem's white section are distinctly icy in nature (also no pupils and seems very angry)

Oshakpop
19th November 2010, 11:36 PM
This looks like the best few days :D English Starter Names + Sugimori art :D..

Lets hope the HQ sugimori scans leak soon!

R_N
19th November 2010, 11:38 PM

Okay these are really neat. Cobalon looks much better and Terrakion in particular looks really good.

I still wish the Raijinns had, I don't know, been doing something with their arms, but the art is nice and it's great that they're at least positioned differently.
HINT HINT sprite designers

Mario with Lasers
19th November 2010, 11:44 PM
Cobaluon still seems to have a rat-like face lol.

And amazing, I've seen their sprites, their animations and now their official artworks and yet, I cannot understand the djinns' body structure... I guess I'll have to see them in the next Wii game, or in the anime. Damnit.

R_N
19th November 2010, 11:44 PM
Cobaluon still seems to have a rat-like face lol.

And amazing, I've seen their sprites, their animations and now their official artworks and yet, I cannot understand the djinns' body structure... I guess I'll have to see them in the next Wii game, or in the anime. Damnit.

What do you mean by body structure?

BCVM22
19th November 2010, 11:48 PM
And amazing, I've seen their sprites, their animations and now their official artworks and yet, I cannot understand the djinns' body structure...

The obvious: disembodied upper torsos sitting on clouds; all three have shocks of white hair in different shapes to match their respective Flying, Electric and Ground typing.

Less obvious: their tails appear to connect at the back of the cloud - the butt, essentially, where one would expect a tail to originate - and curl around over their shoulders to the front.

Banana Knight Arthur
19th November 2010, 11:48 PM
On that blog MistaBuck links to, there's an anime frame of Touko(B/W female player character) and a Chillarmy, is she going to be in the anime soon? I'm hoping Beru is the one from the games and not her >.<

I really liked Sanzaandor(triple head dragon)'s Sugimori artwork!

Hejiru
19th November 2010, 11:52 PM
Ha! Starter english names on Monday! Smugleaf, Smugleaf, Smugleaf....

I wonder... they must have trademarked them already, right? How come we can't find about about English name trademarks like we did with the romanized ones, like Chillarmy? Are trademarks confidential?

Crystal_Power
19th November 2010, 11:52 PM
This looks like the best few days :D English Starter Names + Sugimori art :D..

Lets hope the HQ sugimori scans leak soon!

IKR! This day has been another good day for a Pokemon fan!
I can't wait till Monday!~

R_N
19th November 2010, 11:53 PM
On that blog MistaBuck links to, there's an anime frame of Touko(B/W female player character) and a Chillarmy, is she going to be in the anime soon? I'm hoping Beru is the one from the games and not her >.<

I really liked Sanzaandor(triple head dragon)'s Sugimori artwork!

That is not even remotely an anime frame. It was drawn by Sugimori, or another of the art staff. It was featured in CoroCoro alongside the Battle Subway art, and as the art style is similar I imagine the same artist drew both. And Touko isn't on that page at all, it's Touka (the male), Cheren, and some random girl hugging her Chillarmy to emphasize that Team Plasma is scary.

Mario with Lasers
19th November 2010, 11:54 PM
The obvious: disembodied upper torsos sitting on clouds; all three have shocks of white hair in different shapes to match their respective Flying, Electric and Ground typing.

Less obvious: their tails appear to connect at the back of the cloud - the butt, essentially, where one would expect a tail to originate - and curl around over their shoulders to the front.

Ah, that's it then. I was having problems with their tails, as I couldn't see where they were coming from.

They're still pretty weird, though. Specially Landlos's hair.

Aurath8
19th November 2010, 11:55 PM
Adeku looks like he's Peruvian in his Sugomori. His ingame music is quite Peruvian too. He also reminds me of oak if he hiked more and embraced Peruvian culture more too.
The Ice gym leader is very interesting, if we could rematch him he would definitely have a Weavile to complinent his ninja skills.
To bad Shaga doesn't a show off his muscles, he's absolutely ripped.
Iris is fantastic, a perfect reprensentation of her character.
Shikimi reminds me of Velma from Scooby-doo.
Dark Elite 4's hair looks like a Latios/Staraptor mix. No comment on that.
Caitlin's hair is over-the-top even for pokemon. That must be like a quarter of her body weight, and she's not yawning.
Renbu is baggy, baggy, baggy. likes.

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th November 2010, 11:57 PM

Edited pic of Iris from BW 5 or 6.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 12:03 AM
Ah, that's awesome. Have fallen in love with Maggyo, Gobbit and Kojofuu all over again ... guides out today so more should start appearing ... :D

BCVM22
20th November 2010, 12:09 AM
They're still pretty weird, though. Specially Landlos's hair.

The hair makes some sense. Tornelos' hair is poofy, like it's been wind-blown. Voltolos' hair is a lightning bolt, or if you prefer, standing straight up like it's been zapped. Landlos' hair is... a drum, I guess? Round and stout like the earth; a drum is something you'd play in a ceremony and Landlos has to be summoned from a shrine presumably built in part or entirely to honor it.

R_N
20th November 2010, 12:09 AM
Edited pic of Iris from BW 5 or 6.

Oh there was another picture on the site? I figured he meant the one shown in the guide book.

stupid moon language blog

Hejiru
20th November 2010, 12:11 AM
Kyurem looks better.
Kojofuu looks more awesome.
I like Nattoretti's pose.
Gobit and Gorog look... blockier than I'd imagined.
Komatana and Kirikizan I really wanna see hi-res.

R_N
20th November 2010, 12:14 AM
The hair makes some sense. Tornelos' hair is poofy, like it's been wind-blown. Voltolos' hair is a lightning bolt, or if you prefer, standing straight up like it's been zapped. Landlos' hair is... a drum, I guess? Round and stout like the earth; a drum is something you'd play in a ceremony and Landlos has to be summoned from a shrine presumably built in part or entirely to honor it.

Drums, when beat, can also sound like, say, the rumbling of the earth.

Also, before I realized that the hair was...hair, I thought that his tail had a hammer on it. Hammers love being associated with ground in RPGs, probably for the pounding of earth, so there's that if you really want it.

Also, I kind of think the cloud isn't part of their actual body. It's just something they fly around in, and their (small) lower body is in it, with the tail coming out and curling around the cloud.
But it could go either way, really.

Oshakpop
20th November 2010, 12:18 AM
So, those pics of the Weather trio and those three other fighting legendary's, where are they from? Because surely they can't be from the same source?

Mario with Lasers
20th November 2010, 12:20 AM

Yes exactly, it looks like a drum of sorts, but that's what makes it weird to me, as the other two's haircuts look much more "natural", while his is... well. Actually, the djinns' hair don't even seem to come out of their heads, and it looks much more obvious with Landlos.

BCVM22
20th November 2010, 12:21 AM
Drums, when beat, can also sound like, say, the rumbling of the earth.

See? Perfect fit.

Also, before I realized that the hair was...hair, I thought that his tail had a hammer on it. Hammers love being associated with ground in RPGs, probably for the pounding of earth, so there's that if you really want it.

Their stationary sprites raised a number of questions about the designs; the animated sprites, when we finally got them, answered most of them.

R_N
20th November 2010, 12:26 AM
The other thought that I had, before actually looking at their sprites, was that their tails were just, like, bent poles they all carried around, and their hair were the tips.

Early release was a very confusing period.

Kariachi
20th November 2010, 12:27 AM
Am I the only one asking about the Smugleaf and... cannot remember that bird's name comic on the site MistaBuck linked? Anyone know what's being said?

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 12:27 AM
So, those pics of the Weather trio and those three other fighting legendary's, where are they from? Because surely they can't be from the same source?

The (original Japanese) blog we got it from says the site he found it on said it was from the guidebook that was coming out today. I'm not sure, though.

Wargle
20th November 2010, 12:39 AM
Which Pokemon should get Improved moves and abilities in the 3rd BW game (AKA Grey)

What i want too see example:
Daikenki
Moves: Shellbreak, Icicle Drop, Aurasphere and Sacred Sword.
Ability: Intimidate.

Mr. E Goods
20th November 2010, 12:43 AM
I will die is Tsutaja is called Smugleaf... I somehow think it won't be called that though.

BCVM22
20th November 2010, 12:47 AM
Aurasphere

Which works if the Pokémon is shown to have any sort of ability in the projection and/or focusing of energy; look at the list here (http://serebii.net/attackdex-bw/aurasphere.shtml). Daikenki doesn't really fit.

Sacred Sword.

Sacred Sword is the signature move of the musketeers and Kerudio; they probably aren't going to give it to a starter evolution arbitrarily.

R_N
20th November 2010, 12:51 AM
Which works if the Pokémon is shown to have any sort of ability in the projection and/or focusing of energy; look at the list here (http://serebii.net/attackdex-bw/aurasphere.shtml). Daikenki doesn't really fit.

To be fair, Togekiss getting it is still kind of weird.

I mean, Daikenki will never get it since, despite having 8 more Special Attack points, he's focused on sword play. And those reasons you said.

Aurath8
20th November 2010, 12:53 AM
Which Pokemon should get Improved moves and abilities in the 3rd BW game (AKA Grey)

What i want too see example:
Daikenki
Moves: Shellbreak, Icicle Drop, Aurasphere and Sacred Sword.
Ability: initmidate

Shell Break and Icicle Drop could appear in future events but Aura Shpere and Sacred Sword is just no. For Aura Shpere you need to be Lucario, Togekiss, a monk, god or simply special like the Mews and Crown Raikou. Daikenki is none. Sacred Sword is also exclusive to the musketeers too. Intimidate is off the cards unless pokemon get secondary dream world abilities.

I'd like GF to go crazy and give Emboar Ice Punch, but they wont. I would like a better fighting STAB like CC, Sky Uppercut, Mach Punch, Jump Kick or something for it as well.

dedoryu
20th November 2010, 1:01 AM
22 november starters in pokemon.com are revealed.

BCVM22
20th November 2010, 1:09 AM
As you might expect for something posted hours ago and with this many eyes and minds on the same thing, we know.

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 1:10 AM
I found 'em here (http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-381.html)

wow, you can listen to all the game music of BW in the middle of the page.

http://blog-imgs-47-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/201011200331183d0.jpg
I like Phoenix Wr...I mean Giima's pose. He really is my fav E4 this gen.
Also Iris looks a bit like a Pachirisu.

http://blog-imgs-47-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/201011200331171d7.jpg
I first thought that Renbu's lips were bleu, but now I know it's that thing in it's mouth.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 1:37 AM
So, we're still waiting on art for:

Dustdas
Vanirichi
Baivanilla
Gigear
Gigigear
Shibibiru
Shibirudon
Rigray
Orbem
Kojondo
Washibon
Vulchai
Vulxena
Kuitaran
Irant
Monozu

And they (all going well) should be up by the end of the day :D

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 1:47 AM
So, we're still waiting on art for:

Dustdas
Vanirichi
Baivanilla
Gigear
Gigigear
Shibibiru
Shibirudon
Rigray
Orbem
Washibon
Vulchai
Vulxena
Kuitaran
Irant
Monozu

And they (all going well) should be up by the end of the day :D

?????. Strange, I've never saw Kojondo's sugimori art.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 1:53 AM
Dammit, I knew I had to add it to the list, but forgot how to spell it's name and was checking the main page for it and Shibirudon and clicked post after Shibirudon and forgot...Anyway, yes, Kojondo too.

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 1:57 AM
I'm so hoping to see Kojondo's sugi art soon!!!!

MistaBuck
20th November 2010, 2:45 AM
http://up3.viploader.net/game/src/vlgame028245.jpg

Shibirudon's Sugimori fo rizzle

R_N
20th November 2010, 2:48 AM

I am intrigued about what is going on in those charts below them

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 2:51 AM
^It's rating their IVs and stuff I believe

EDIT: On second glance (ie actually reading the damn thing) the bar chart is talking about EV spreads and and the dot thing is talking about base stats.

Laprashunter
20th November 2010, 3:18 AM
Not sure if this has been posted.

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=2263

Artwork of the legendary trios. Both sets. Musketeers and Genies.

Lorde
20th November 2010, 4:38 AM

That artwork for Shibirudon is really lovely, underneath it all. Shibirudon is my second favorite Electric-type introduced in Generation 5 and it's Ken Sugimori art really does the Pokemon some justice. I love it! I love how it has its tentacle out like that since you can see what's underneath with a bit more clarity. I hadn't thought much about the origin of it's name in the past, however. Its name is probably a combination of 痺れ (shibire) meaning numbness, and don, a title of respect usually prefixed to Christian names in Spanish and Italian. It makes sense since it specializes in electricity. I think that the Electric-type may also be an allusion to bioluminescence.

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th November 2010, 5:02 AM
I think the "don" is used in the "tooth" sense, since it has large teeth and stuff.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 5:05 AM
Washibon:

http://imepita.jp/image/20101120/469060?57735de9116b923cdeecaa39b9b5c50e

The link doesn't appear to work so here:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9587/469060.jpg

R_N
20th November 2010, 5:27 AM
Washibon has a far less....cute face then I had originally thought.

It's a lot more, um, "real". I guess.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 5:30 AM
Yeah, it's still cute, but...I think it may just be the position of the eyes/pupils compared to the sprite.

Lorde
20th November 2010, 5:37 AM
Not much of a difference. Washibon looks almost exactly like it's in-game Black and White sprite, which is sort of disappointing. That's not to say I don't think Washibon is still cute, however. I still think it looks cuter than most other Flying-type Pokemon in Generation 5. I had just expected something a little more diverse in regards to its artwork, as was the case with some of the other artwork we got earlier today. I guess I'm in for a rude awakening.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 6:51 AM
All the art is done :) - Except for Monozu. The guy who posted it forgot it, but we'll see if he's willing to post.

Links added as I re-upload from 2chan.

Vulxena: http://yfrog.com/7b511480j
Dustdas: http://yfrog.com/7b506400j
Vaniricchi: http://yfrog.com/7b506850j
Baivanilla: http://yfrog.com/7b507350j
Morobareru: http://yfrog.com/7b507770j
Gigearu: http://yfrog.com/7b508200j
Gigigearu: http://yfrog.com/7b508710j
Shibibiru: http://yfrog.com/7b509160j
Rigray: http://yfrog.com/7b509580j
Orbem: http://yfrog.com/7b510050j
Vulchai: http://yfrog.com/7b511000j
Kuitaran: http://yfrog.com/7b512070j
Irant: http://yfrog.com/7b512580j
Kojondo: http://yfrog.com/7b510510j

And done...except Monozu...

R_N
20th November 2010, 7:35 AM
Such great art

Now the only thing to wait for are super high quality scans and rips

wafiazizul
20th November 2010, 7:38 AM
yeah~ the complete guide had been sold from today~ this the link of the guide~
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9D%E3%82%B1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%83%A2%E3%8 3%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9% E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AF%E3%82 %A4%E3%83%88%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E6%94%BB%E7%95%A5%E 3%82%BB%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-%E5%85%83%E5%AE%AE%E7%A7%80%E4%BB%8B-%E3%83%AF%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8A%E3%83%83%E3%83%97/dp/484013622X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1290234833&sr=8-6

Ophie
20th November 2010, 12:36 PM
All those pipes on Kuitaran's body--I called it! In addition to an anteater, it's also based on a furnace. An anteater is supposed to have a distinctive bushy tail, but Kuitaran lacks one. I'll bet that in other media, like the anime and almost certainly the card game, we'll see flames shoot out from its tail, taking the shape of that bushy tail.

And hey, it can make physics-defying fire from its mouth. A flame taking the path of a tail is much less far-fetched.

;11776433']You could name it "Gluttony" after the homonculus of the same name from Fullmetal Alchemist. They're similar in appearance, if not ability.

A rule of mine is that I always name a Pokémon given names--that is, they would be names someone might give to their children. I've yet to know of anybody named "Gluttony," for instance.

Ha! Starter english names on Monday! Smugleaf, Smugleaf, Smugleaf....

I wonder... they must have trademarked them already, right? How come we can't find about about English name trademarks like we did with the romanized ones, like Chillarmy? Are trademarks confidential?

There doesn't seem to be as much interest in checking Nintendo's trademark registries as there used to be. Trademarks are most certainly NOT confidential; otherwise, you wouldn't know if you're breaking a trademark or not. The way they work, they must be available to the public.

There was this time, shortly before Ruby/Sapphire came out, where I went to a site that deduced about 40 Hoenn Pokémon names through Nintendo's trademark registry. Suffice to say that I regret there isn't anyone like that here.

As for Smugleaf, Nintendo is quite the contrarian company. The more often a proposed name gets repeated, the less likely that name will be the official one.

I am intrigued about what is going on in those charts below them

I guess it's already been mentioned, but for those of you still confused, the bar graph seems to be a suggested EV spread. For instance, the guide suggests 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and 6 HP for Doryuuzu; and it suggests 252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, and 6 Speed for Shibirudon.

redroses
20th November 2010, 12:53 PM
All those pipes on Kuitaran's body--I called it! In addition to an anteater, it's also based on a furnace. An anteater is supposed to have a distinctive bushy tail, but Kuitaran lacks one. I'll bet that in other media, like the anime and almost certainly the card game, we'll see flames shoot out from its tail, taking the shape of that bushy tail.

Actually, Kuitaran is not based on a giant anteater, that is why he lacks the bushy tail. I think the giant anteater is the only one of all the anteaters that has a bushy tail, please correct me if I am mistaken.
He reminds me a lot of the Tamandua, because it also has a shorter snout just like Juitaran.
Picture here (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/DirkvdM_tamandua.jpg)

Anyway, the new sugimore art is just so amazing!
It makes it so much harder for me to decide on a team once the games come out, because I like a lot of the pokemon so much more!
It also made me fall in love way more with pokemon I already loved.

Hejiru
20th November 2010, 1:02 PM
As for Smugleaf, Nintendo is quite the contrarian company. The more often a proposed name gets repeated, the less likely that name will be the official one.

Alas, I know all too well. It's really quite disappointing... and not just in Smugleaf's case.

There doesn't seem to be as much interest in checking Nintendo's trademark registries as there used to be. Trademarks are most certainly NOT confidential; otherwise, you wouldn't know if you're breaking a trademark or not. The way they work, they must be available to the public.

There was this time, shortly before Ruby/Sapphire came out, where I went to a site that deduced about 40 Hoenn Pokémon names through Nintendo's trademark registry. Suffice to say that I regret there isn't anyone like that here.

I don't suppose you know how one would go about finding trademarks? I searched [url=http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp]here[url] but I must be doing something wrong, because I tested it by typing in Zoroark, and there were no results.

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 1:10 PM
Kojondo: http://yfrog.com/7b510510j

Hm... not a big difference from the sprite, Only the face expression looks a little bit different and it's nose is black instead of red(black looks better than red, IMO).

Chimchar15
20th November 2010, 1:48 PM
Don't know if you guys know this yet but http://www.pokemon.com/us/. Yep seems like news will be starting up again.

aggronFTW
20th November 2010, 2:38 PM
In case you didnt read my sig, I call pokabu's US name as piglit for my guess!

lindsy95
20th November 2010, 3:06 PM
Don't know if you guys know this yet but http://www.pokemon.com/us/. Yep seems like news will be starting up again.

Yes, its been posted a lot, its even on serebii. Been, on serebii this news is kinda old now.

Aurath8
20th November 2010, 3:10 PM
@aggronFTW: Hydrape and Naturape are slightly inappropiate guesses.
Piglit or Pignite for Pokabu
Smugleaf you Tsutarja
I not sure on Miju though, Wotter seems popular but I'm not seeing it really.

aggronFTW
20th November 2010, 3:19 PM
@aggronFTW: Hydrape and Naturape are slightly inappropiate guesses.
Piglit or Pignite for Pokabu
Smugleaf you Tsutarja
I not sure on Miju though, Wotter seems popular but I'm not seeing it really.

Wait, why are they inappropriate? Anyway, now that we're getting the starters names, can we expect a few more English names to start leaking in the next few months building up to the game release?

Mijumaru should not be wotter, it sounds like the kind of thing you'd call someone you were making fun of.
Tsutarja as smugleaf.... No, just no, the guys at 4chan would have a field day.

jakovu
20th November 2010, 4:11 PM
Wait, why are they inappropriate?

Umm... Hydrape? Anyways, Bulbapedia has all the scans, and they are clear scans. http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_revealed_of_all_currently-available_Pok%C3%A9mon

Sponge
20th November 2010, 4:18 PM
Pendoraa has grown on me like crazy since I saw it in the anime....It's so large and fast!

I can just imagine traveling Isshu on it's back :3

Umm... Hydrape?]

Tell that to Rapeseed....and Drapery.....and grapes.

Nacreous
20th November 2010, 4:32 PM
My fav Isshu pkmn now is the female Kenhorou'__' I dunno why I like it>.>

aggronFTW
20th November 2010, 4:34 PM
Umm... Hydrape?

Oh come on, only Ned Flanders would point that out.

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 6:42 PM
Pendoraa has grown on me like crazy since I saw it in the anime....It's so large and fast!

I can just imagine traveling Isshu on it's back :3

I think we all can imagine Barry riding on it's back.

Lorde
20th November 2010, 7:15 PM
Oh I'm loving Kojondo a whole lot more now with it's artwork released. It looks so positively sassy with those half-closed eyes. There's just something about it that makes me want to capture one. I also love the fact that Kojondo and it's pre-evolution can learn Aura Sphere so I might actually capture one just so I can have an Aura Sphere-using Pokemon from Isshu on my team.

Mario with Lasers
20th November 2010, 7:32 PM
Hahah, Vuljina is even more hideous than I've thought at first. So my hate isn't really unfounded at all.

And lol Vanirich's smile is even more derpy than in the sprite. Lovely.

And Aianto is almost as badass as Nattorei. Almost.

Dracoste
20th November 2010, 7:48 PM
Kojondo is really different than the most fighter types. I liked it immediately when I saw it. I also like the idea that it uses it's fur as a whip.

R_N
20th November 2010, 7:51 PM
Hahah, Vuljina is even more hideous than I've thought at first. So my hate isn't really unfounded at all.

BUT SHE LOVES YOUUUUUUU ~

And Aianto is almost as badass as Nattorei. Almost.

He has two pupils
irises

...eye bands?

Being in the late game be damned, I'm going to try my best to use him. Or maybe send over an egg to the 3rd game~

There are not enough versions for all the Pokemon I want to use :<

bippacooleth
20th November 2010, 8:03 PM
The view of Nattorei from below with its eyes shadowed just makes it look so awesome; definitely one of my favourites of this gen.
The artwork has helped me to make out Kofundo's (? small Kojondo) face, and now looks a lot more like the animal it is based of. Seriously considering naming one Tigger.
Maggyo is just ridiculous, lets be honest.
Loving how blocky and pixellated Gobitto and family look - Gobitto's right eye is kind of deformed and especially pixellated, but actually looks good
Morobareru's artwork made me laugh out loud. Vulture pokemon are so ugly I don't even want to attempt to make a hash of their japanese names - they don't deserve it.

Sabonea_Masukippa
20th November 2010, 8:24 PM
Yay for hating things just because they're ugly. Honestly, did nobody else learn anything from Beauty and the Beast?? -___-

Anyway, for those of us nostalgic for more argumentative times, when gifs and dubious photoshop analysis ruled and the trollz(TM) of 4chan thought saying Serebii sauce was hy-larious (oh know Batman, a man on the internet is wasting my time with unnecessary prose!). Basically just a comparison between Hiro's, from Pokexperto, original 'fanart' and the Sugimori art.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9349/compare.png
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8345/compare2.png

R_N
20th November 2010, 8:31 PM
I think I like Hiro's Bachura better. I don't care for the rounded "fangs" up front.

Lorde
20th November 2010, 8:39 PM
Vulxena: http://yfrog.com/7b511480j
Gigearu: http://yfrog.com/7b508200j
Gigigearu: http://yfrog.com/7b508710j

Why does Barujiina's face remind me of Ursula from The Little Mermaid? There's something about that look that brings that character to mind for some reason. Anyway, I am so looking forward to capturing a Barujiina of my very own in Black version now. I just think she looks amazing. It's about time we were given a sassy bird like her. I also love Gigear and Gigigear's artwork since it makes them look cooler than ever before. Gigear's face still makes me giggle a bit and Gigigear looks more like a flying saucer now (I just noticed that pink gear on the bottom too).

Wallaroo42
20th November 2010, 10:05 PM
Oh cool, Maggyo has a dark brown ring around his body. I thought that was just shadow.

He's so cute ~<3

Endless
20th November 2010, 10:51 PM
He has two pupils
irises

...eye bands?

Being in the late game be damned, I'm going to try my best to use him. Or maybe send over an egg to the 3rd game~

There are not enough versions for all the Pokemon I want to use :<
I actually like the way it's pupil has the same color as the rest of the eye. The black irish is also pretty cool, it makes it look more cyborg-ish.

So... time ofr some hate. I think it is extremely lazy of the sprite designers to make them look so much like the artwork( as I am pretty sure the spriters work after the artwork is done, and not vice versa). However the thing that annoys me the most is the genies, when are we going to see their hands? Just please let it be different from Diglet's lower body(the semic toss animation in PBR was just awfull). And the black thing under their mustache, is it their mouth, with a single tooth?

On the other hand, I really liked Nattorei, Komatana and Aianto's artwork.

LexSuicune
20th November 2010, 11:28 PM
LOL @ Varujina's bone pin

Ophie
20th November 2010, 11:31 PM
To be fair, the sprites do move around quite a bit. So not only do you see a side of them you can't in the official artwork anyway, but as this is likely the first time the Pokémon staff has done such a thing, they're playing it safe.

Is a tamandua a type of anteater?

Lorde
21st November 2010, 12:07 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/33/633Monozu.png

It looks like Monozu is the cutest Dragon-type Pokemon in Generation 5 to be honest. I love how it's eyes are covered, since I can just imagine Monozu going around bumping into things while in it's cave due to it's apparent inability to see haha. I think it's name is derived from mono, the Greek prefix meaning one, and 頭 (zu), Japanese for head, its full name literally reading "one head". I could be wrong though.

R_N
21st November 2010, 12:38 AM
I love his grin combined with his bowl cut

He's such a happy little dragon

wafiazizul
21st November 2010, 1:10 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/33/633Monozu.png

It looks like Monozu is the cutest Dragon-type Pokemon in Generation 5 to be honest. I love how it's eyes are covered, since I can just imagine Monozu going around bumping into things while in it's cave due to it's apparent inability to see haha. I think it's name is derived from mono, the Greek prefix meaning one, and 頭 (zu), Japanese for head, its full name literally reading "one head". I could be wrong though.

yeah~ i think you're rite~ and Jiheddo is Ji(次) means "next"/"second" too~ Heddo(ヘッド) is English head~ So, Jiheddo means double head~

koolhk
21st November 2010, 1:52 AM
I could be wrong but when the designers were talking about creating the new Pokemon didn't one of them mention they considered a dog as one of the starter Pokemon this generation?

wafiazizul
21st November 2010, 2:18 AM
yeah~ i heard about that too~ but i think, that just a rumors~ maybe they just mistook the musketeers with the dogs~

Pikacu
21st November 2010, 2:27 AM
who knows, but its clear to see that they didnt create it

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st November 2010, 3:55 AM
Well that's it, isn't it? The actual number of designs produced by GF in developing the generation is probably at least double what ends up showing up in the regional dex. Plus the number of re-designs and tweaks most of them probably go through before they become 'final.' Take Mijumaru's third evo - they basically said they had trouble designing that one - I'm sure they designed dozens of evos that looked exactly like a bipedal samurai otter (just like everyone wanted), but they thought that would be boring (mainly because it's so obvious) for players so they designed Daikenki. Which lead to ... fan-rage. But Daikenki is probably one of the most clever 3rd evos because it does keep/develop features of its pre-evos at the same time as looking so different and also looking somewhat like samurai armour.

Also, I was on 2chan yesterday looking for scans of art and realised the online Japanese fanbase calls the Raijin trio the 'C+Plos trio' (コピペロス) as in Copy and Paste. Fandoms are the same, no matter what the language, right? :P

BCVM22
21st November 2010, 4:44 AM
Also, I was on 2chan yesterday looking for scans of art and realised the online Japanese fanbase calls the Raijin trio the 'C+Plos trio' (コピペロス) as in Copy and Paste. Fandoms are the same, no matter what the language, right? :P

I'm honestly not sure whether I'm amused or unsettled by this.

Atoyont
21st November 2010, 5:27 AM
This is amazing.

Though they're probably some of the most manly new Pokémon, no doubt.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st November 2010, 5:40 AM

I'm honestly not sure whether I'm amused or unsettled by this.

Well, the same time of people who use 4ch also use 2ch so they're doomed anyway. :P

Also, there's two broad types of legendary trios in Pokemon now - one that look alike and are based off mythical/legendary creatures and ones that look like animals. The birds, beasts and musketteers are the later, while the golems, pixies and raijin are the former. BW just happens to have both types of them (although the Raijin are an odd case since you can only get one per game without trading).

Atoyont
21st November 2010, 6:19 AM
The Genie trio is, arguably, not a trio, either; more of a duo (Tornelos and Voltlos) with a related-but-not-quite-the-same third member (Landlos)

BCVM22
21st November 2010, 6:29 AM
The Genie trio is, arguably, not a trio, either; more of a duo (Tornelos and Voltlos) with a related-but-not-quite-the-same third member (Landlos)

In what way are the genies not a trio?

Pikacu
21st November 2010, 6:44 AM

How these three are almost exactly like the regis and regigigas

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st November 2010, 6:58 AM

In what way are the genies not a trio?

Well, they're a trio, but I think he means that Landlos is more 'special' than the other two. He does get a different BST spread while the other two share one, learns different moves where Boltolos and Tornelos learn the same one, has different abilites to the other two, who share both of theirs and you need both Boltolos and Tornelos to get him.

Pikacu
21st November 2010, 7:58 AM
in other words it is essentially a sort of repeat of the three regi's and regigigas

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st November 2010, 8:51 AM
Kinda, except Landlos is actually a pretty decent battler, apparently.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 10:33 AM
And the black thing under their mustache, is it their mouth, with a single tooth?

If you look closely(400% zoom) you can see it's an mustache(you can see it the most clearly on Voltolos)... Wait... does that mean they have a mustache on a mustache. GF is really going wild with facial hair this time: we have Daikenki with a mustache, goatee and a very long beard, shaga with a jaw like beard and the genies with two kinds of mustaches.

Jagged
21st November 2010, 12:51 PM
I can now OFFICIALLY say that I am loving this gen. This is mainly because of the two trios, the Musketeer Trio and Cloud Trio. I originally didn't like the Cloud Trio because of their generic copy and paste sprites, but the Sugimori art does them great justice. I also like how both the Musketeer and Cloud Trios tie in with the theme for B/W, which is the bond between Pokemon and Humans as the Musketeers fight humans to protect Pokemon and the Cloud trio wreck havic on humans (except for Landlos). But all in all, these are my two favourite legend trios thus far.

Pikacu
21st November 2010, 1:39 PM
Yea i can say that to originally the cloud, gene things along with that double cone ice cream wreck this generation for me but now its just the ice cream

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st November 2010, 2:06 PM
This is probably a stupid question but, is there any real reason for the Vanipetti and evo hate (in general, not just you Pikacu) other than them being based on the shape of an ice-cream cone?

Slowemperor
21st November 2010, 2:22 PM
This is probably a stupid question but, is there any real reason for the Vanipetti and evo hate (in general, not just you Pikacu) other than them being based on the shape of an ice-cream cone?

Their creepy smiles.

bippacooleth
21st November 2010, 3:40 PM
I just think they look too much like ice creams. I can appreciate a concept like Magnemite, for example, because it is obviously based on magnets, but is not just a big, floating magnet. For example, the straw sticking out of one of the heads. Why would a pokemon possibly develop a straw? This ruins the whole concept for me, and they look ugly anyway. I do like the first stage a lot though ^^

Weaver_8
21st November 2010, 4:18 PM
The Vanipeti, though it appears like ice cream, seems to me to really be stalactites. Seriously I could just see them hanging on the ceiling of a cave, then when you walk by they come crashing down on you. Yeah I will concede their design is massively inspired by ice cream, but in the end if someone were to try and get a taste all they'd find is cold water.

The last evolution of Vanipeti slightly disturbs me. That straw like things in its head at first appeared to me to be a horn... till I saw an icy mist come out of it. What the...? What is that supposed to be? Someone please enlighten me.

redroses
21st November 2010, 4:35 PM
Is a tamandua a type of anteater?

Yes it is! Which is why I mentioned it for Kuitaran.
Sorry if that didn't come across in my post! D:

I always wanted an anteater pokemon, of course always thinking of the giant anteater. Actually, I am happy they decided to go with a different anteater as it is much more creative and it's nice if they don't always go with the obvious animal choice. :]

Rowdy
21st November 2010, 5:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but what the hay....

Seeing as NoA will be revealing the US names of the starters on Monday (along with a few other details hopefully), are there any names you hope to see be given?

For the grass starter, I'll stick with the fan given name of Smugleaf since I couldn't think of a better name.

For the water starter, I like Shellter since it's an otter that fights using a sea shell (plus, NoA likes alternate spelling's to common words).

And the fire starter, I'll go with Empig (or Empiglet; ember pig) because I can't think of anything decent.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 5:19 PM
For the water starter, I like Shellter since it's an otter that fights using a sea shell (plus, NoA likes alternate spelling's to common words).

Isn't Shellter one letter different from Shellder.

LexSuicune
21st November 2010, 6:48 PM
Do we have HQs of the Sugimori art yet?

Endless
21st November 2010, 7:10 PM
This (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_of_Generation_V_Pok%C3%A9mon_revealed ) is the best I can find, however Mebukijika's alternative forms and Morobareru are a little miscolored.

EDIT: It seems they now have artwotk of Mebukijika and Morobareru in their true colors.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 7:11 PM

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_of_Generation_V_Pok%C3%A9mon_revealed

The only that are still missing are: Daruma mode Hihidaruma, Meloetta, Kerudio and Genosect.

[aka]
21st November 2010, 7:31 PM
Does anybody have any ideas for the ninja/knight bugs' names?
I'm thinking Chobomaki --> Shellmet and that Shubarugo --> Chevargot (why mess with what's good?).
I've got nothing for the ninja's, though. :X

Linkdarkside
21st November 2010, 7:57 PM
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_of_Generation_V_Pok%C3%A9mon_revealed

The only that are still missing are: Daruma mode Hihidaruma, Meloetta, Kerudio and Genosect.well those dont look HQ

[aka]
21st November 2010, 7:59 PM
well those dont look HQ
They're not. They're about half of the quality of most of the ones we already had, but hey--at least we have them, right?

Lorde
21st November 2010, 8:15 PM
This (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_of_Generation_V_Pok&#37;C3%A9mon_revealed ) is the best I can find, however Mebukijika's alternative forms and Morobareru are a little miscolored.

EDIT: It seems they now have artwotk of Mebukijika and Morobareru in their true colors.

Mebukijika looks as awesome as ever in all of it's artwork. Speaking of Mebukijika though, I saw that update on the Alternate Formes page and I saw it's Dream World artwork. I think it makes Mebukijika look cooler, sort of like it's the fashionista of the Pokemon World. The Dream World artwork really is vivid. That's not to say I don't like the Ken Sugimori artwork though. Sure, that artwork that was posted on that site isn't exactly high-quality stuff and it wasn't properly extraced since you can see white around the edges, but we still get to see some cool Pokemon so there's no problem there. At least we have artwork.

Vicious Sal
21st November 2010, 8:35 PM
Imho, i would have liked these as the fire starters, (and some ppl already shouted piglit and pignite etc :P)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/240/9/e/Piglit_by_sylver1984.png
http://sylver1984.deviantart.com/gallery/25793201#/d11steg

And a real favorite, Scorchog! (I can really see that name in the game too)
http://sylver1984.deviantart.com/gallery/25793201#/d11stot

Not to forget that Sylver (Creatopr of these) has made things that should've been in B/w. >_> But that is my opinion, Scorchog > Emboar

Oshakpop
21st November 2010, 9:21 PM
GUYS! Within hours we will know the English names of the starters!!! FINALLY! I tried my hardest not to keep there names in my head, but alas!!! Lets hope there easy to remember! (What am I saying ofcourse they will be?)

R_N
21st November 2010, 9:27 PM
Oh man I can hardly wait for the moaning and complaining and how NoA are the worst and should have used these clearly superior names

Epwna is a Sceptile
21st November 2010, 9:27 PM
I can't wait for the English names to be revealed, though I hope Pokabu is named Flarrow(Flare+Farrow(young pig)). Best name I can think of for it.

turtwig217
21st November 2010, 9:45 PM
I honestly usually end up liking whatever names they end up being, and even if they seem weird at first, they're easy to get used to.

Gaiash
21st November 2010, 9:58 PM
I hated the name Turtwig for quite a while so I'm sure I'll get used to Tsutaja's English name not being Smugleaf (I'll probably still call it that).

LexSuicune
21st November 2010, 10:01 PM

The only that are still missing are: Daruma mode Hihidaruma, Meloetta, Kerudio and Genosect.

Oh, I already saw those, they're not HQ.

Thanks anyways ^-^

Slowemperor
21st November 2010, 10:01 PM
Get yourselves ready! A new battle is about to begun! Chronical complainers are readying their nostalgia googles and flamethrowers, serious critics are arming up their expectations and witty comments and chronical lovers are readying their diabetic love for the new names...

Whatever names come I'll get used to them. I don't care much about names as long as I know how to say and spell them.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 10:21 PM
We all get used to them, eventually. Its easier to know the English names so soon, so we don't have trouble reckonizing a Pokémon's name if someone forgot an "i" or an "o".

Oh, I already saw those, they're not HQ.

Thanks anyways ^-^

Hehehe. That's as HQ you can get them ATM(I haven't seen them yet in a higher quality) But we must be happy that we can see Pokémon in their Sugimari art.

Lorde
21st November 2010, 10:27 PM
*Gets nostalgia goggles and flamethrower ready*

Seriously though, whatever the English names for Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru may be, they can't be all that bad. I'm expecting puns galore of course, but I don't think they'll be as bad as some of the previous ones. I few people accurately predicted some of the English names for 4th Generation Pokemon so I'm going to wait and see if anyone managed to guess the English names for Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru. Watch them gloat about it for years to come :3

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 10:31 PM
The English names? Don't think they will bother me that much; I always seem to either like them or just don't really mind. Don't think i'll ever get used to knowing Mijumaru as anything other than Mijumaru.

Also I doubt i'll ever call mamepato by its english name when it's released. I like it too much.

725roy
21st November 2010, 10:34 PM
The English names? Don't think they will bother me that much; I always seem to either like them or just don't really mind. Don't think i'll ever get used to knowing Mijumaru as anything other than Mijumaru.

Also I doubt i'll ever call mamepato by its english name when it's released. I like it too much.

It's true once you get a name in your head the english name doesn't sound AS good. Like in my PMD3 i named my Mudkip Miju.

It'll tough to switch :P...

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 10:36 PM
It also could be possible that some keep their Japanese names(or with a some minor differences). I actually hope they keep Tsutarja's name, it sounds nice.

Krake
21st November 2010, 10:37 PM
Oh man I can hardly wait for the moaning and complaining and how NoA are the worst and should have used these clearly superior names

Or how they didn't use the ridiculous name Smugleaf.

Get yourselves ready! A new battle is about to begun! Chronical complainers are readying their nostalgia googles and flamethrowers, serious critics are arming up their expectations and witty comments and chronical lovers are readying their diabetic love for the new names...

Whatever names come I'll get used to them. I don't care much about names as long as I know how to say and spell them.

I really don't get why some people get mad over the English names. They're easier to pronounce than the Japanese names, and you can actually understand the puns used in their names as opposed to Japanese where you can only understand most of them if you knew Japanese.

R_N
21st November 2010, 10:40 PM
It also could be possible that some keep their Japanese names(or with a some minor differences). I actually hope they keep Tsutarja's name, it sounds nice.

Starja doesn't meet nearly enough pun quotients for my liking

Grei
21st November 2010, 10:43 PM
I'll get used to the names.

As long as Mijumaru's isn't "wotter." I have always hated that fanname.

Smugleaf would be fine, though.

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 10:50 PM

You see I like the name but I don't like the sound of anyone actually saying it. In the anim&#233;, however, I love the sound of it as long as it's actually coming from the grass type itself.

Janovy is a fantastic name though. Love the sound of it.

Rose Storm
21st November 2010, 10:50 PM
It's hard enough for 7 year olds to pronounce Whiscash, nevermind Tsutarja. They have to change it in one way or another. =P

Rose Storm
21st November 2010, 10:51 PM
It's hard enough for 7 year olds to pronounce Whiscash, nevermind Tsutarja. They have to change it in one way or another. =P

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 10:53 PM
Starja doesn't meet nearly enough pun quotients for my liking

Starja sounds a bit like Starly. And I don't think they will change it's name around like that and Tsutarja is easy to pronounce(well... for me). And I didn't knew Tsutarja's name was a pun(probably because I can't speak Japanese).

And if we're not happy with their English names, we can always nickname them.

Krake
21st November 2010, 10:56 PM
And I didn't knew Tsutarja's name was a pun(probably because I can't speak Japanese).

The Japanese names have puns in them the same way that the English ones do.

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 10:58 PM

But of course. Thinking of naming Pokabu 'Meatball' simply because I love irony.

I know they won't go with either smugleaf or wotter. That would just be silly. I never did like those fan names. Ever.

Grei
21st November 2010, 11:01 PM
Starja sounds a bit like Starly. And I don't think they will change it's name around like that and Tsutarja is easy to pronounce. And I didn't knew Tsutarja's name was a pun(probably because I can't speak Japanese).

Starja would be how Tsutarja would be spelled without the Japanese phonetics (or whatever they are, I can't think).

And Tsutarja isn't hard to pronounce when you see it, but you don't see English words (generally) that start with the 'Ts' consonant combination, so little kids will not now how to pronounce it. Since the alternative--Starja--isn't punny like most Pokemon names, it'll likely get something completely different and fitting in English.

Like Smugleaf.

And I'll be nicknaming them in my future BW game, so yeah, the English names won't matter too much to me.

R_N
21st November 2010, 11:01 PM
Starja sounds a bit like Starly. And I don't think they will change it's name around like that and Tsutarja is easy to pronounce(well... for me). And I didn't knew Tsutarja's name was a pun(probably because I can't speak Japanese).

Tsutarja is pronounced Starja is what I'm saying.

But Tsutarja is a pun on ivy and snake, iirc.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 11:15 PM
And Tsutarja isn't hard to pronounce when you see it, but you don't see English words (generally) that start with the 'Ts' consonant combination, so little kids will not now how to pronounce it.

Yeah, I had the same trouble with Arceus' name. I though you pronounce it as "Ar-see-us", kids just have to wait a couple of episodes to know how to pronounce Tsutarja(if it stays that). Its just the same as kids pronouncing "Toad" as "Todd" and "Yoshi" as "Joshie", they keep saying that until someone(or something) says that its different.

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I had the same trouble with Arceus' name. I though you pronounce it as "Ar-see-us", kids just have to wait a couple of episodes to know how to pronounce Tsutarja(if it stays that). Its just the same as kids pronouncing "Toad" as "Todd" and "Yoshi" as "Joshie", they keep saying that until someone(or something) says that its different.

That reminds me of playing Silver as a kid. Always pronounced Lugia as 'Luigi-a' for some reason. Anyway I do think the anime will help with the pronunciation if that's the case.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 11:25 PM
That reminds me of playing Silver as a kid. Always pronounced Lugia as 'Luigi-a' for some reason. Anyway I do think the anime will help with the pronunciation if that's the case.

A PBR2 will also help for Pokémon that apear late in the animé. Thats how I knew how to pronounce Lopunny. And some others too.

R_N
21st November 2010, 11:30 PM
The weird thing about some English pronounciations is that it can sometimes vary from source to source.
PBR had it as Ar see us
The english movie had it Arc ee us

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 11:45 PM
The weird thing about some English pronounciations is that it can sometimes vary from source to source.
PBR had it as Ar see us

There is also the problem how to pronounce the "c", more like an s, or you pronounce it like a k(like with Arceus in the movie).
I hope the English names for the 5th gen pok&#233;mon doesn't have the type of issues.

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 11:48 PM
A PBR2 will also help for Pokémon that apear late in the animé. Thats how I knew how to pronounce Lopunny. And some others too.

Like you said though, I don't think they will care much. They will say them the way they think they should and then will either change when they see them on either PBR2 or the anime or just continue to say them as they used to.

Jagged
21st November 2010, 11:48 PM
Does anyone here agree with me that the starter names SHOULDN'T be the fan-given names? Cuz I really hate the thought of putting up with Smugleaf, Piglit and Wotter and it won't do this generation justice for the English fan-base who don't know about the new Pokemon yet.

Oshakpop
21st November 2010, 11:51 PM
I think the names will be nothing like the fannames (atleast I hope)... All I know, is that I hope they are in someway relative to the pokemon :L

Silver Totodile
21st November 2010, 11:52 PM
PBR had it as Ar see us

When I first say Arceus I had problems with the pronunciation and actually just ignored it somehow.

Does anyone here agree with me that the starter names SHOULDN'T be the fan-given names? Cuz I really hate the thought of putting up with Smugleaf, Piglit and Wotter and it won't do this generation justice for the English fan-base who don't know about the new Pokemon yet.

I don't see them going with Smugleaf or wotter. Truly I don't.

Dracoste
21st November 2010, 11:58 PM

Did they ever used fan-given names. Of course, there will still be people who will use it. I have to say, Piglit sounds actually funny. But Wotter and Smugleaf...no, just...no.

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 12:04 AM
Did they ever used fan-given names. Of course, there will still be people who will use it. I have to say, Piglit sounds actually funny. But Wotter and Smugleaf...no, just... no.

Touche -_O On a different note, are there any Pokes that any of you guys didn't like in the 5th gen, but you now like? For me, it was pretty much all of them, especially Roopushin cuz he just freaked me out, but he seems pretty awesome now.

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 12:14 AM
Touche -_O On a different note, are there any Pokes that any of you guys didn't like in the 5th gen, but you now like?

The gear family until I saw how briliant it was(beginning as two cogs and then developing towards an complex meganism.), the Vanipeti line until I looked at it for a couple of weeks and reallized how funny and original it actually is, the Rajin trio because of their pose, but that changed when I saw their animation and Daikenki until I forgot about it's pre-evos and see it at what it is: a seal-samurai with a mustache, goatee, epic long beard and a shellmet(also it's sugi art helped it, because it looked cute in it.)

I've also grown over the feeling that Hihidaruma and Musharna don't have an evolution, because when I first saw them I thought they had an evolution. Probably if I never looked at the 5th gen pokémon and it's evolutions, I probably kept them until they evolved(same thing with my Rhydon, except I didn't know how to evolve it). The same thing happened when my Shinx evolved into Luxio, I knew it had an evo because it looked "unfinished".

james2791
22nd November 2010, 12:41 AM
Touche -_O On a different note, are there any Pokes that any of you guys didn't like in the 5th gen, but you now like? For me, it was pretty much all of them, especially Roopushin cuz he just freaked me out, but he seems pretty awesome now.

Agreed completely... I think over time when new Pokes are released, we just seem to be shocked with the 'radical' designs of some, but end up being adored and liked.
When Tsutarja, Pokabu and Mijumarus' evo line was shown/leaked for the first time, I was completely shocked (like the majority of us), but now, they all seem damn awesome.

As for the starters names, Pignite, Piglit for Pokabu seems to be my bet. dont know for the others.... well have to wait and see.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 12:47 AM
For those who don't know here's the pun's in the Japanese starter names:

Tsutarja: Corruption of "tsuta" which means ivy + 'ja' an alternate reading for this character 蛇 which means snake/serpent.
Pokabu: From the onomatopoeia pokapoka meaning a warm feeling (especially body warmth) + buta 'pig'
Mijumaru: Most likely from mijuku meaning 'untrained, inexperienced, immature, unripe' and maru which means circle or round, but is also a traditional suffix on boys names.

Of course, starter names in English tend not to be related to the Japanese names much at all (Chikorita being on obvious exception).

What time/how long until the names come? Or is it just whenever they feel like it? :P

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 12:50 AM
What time/how long until the names come? Or is it just whenever they feel like it? :P

Well, dude, you're in luck. The names are getting revealed Monday, American-time that is, cuz it's Monday already over here in Australia, and no news yet :/

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 12:57 AM
Oh, I knew that :P Just wanted to know if we knew it was happening at a certain time, for example, or just whenever.
It's not even 6pm central time on Sunday there yet, so it could be a while waiting yet :P

BCVM22
22nd November 2010, 1:05 AM
Or is it just whenever they feel like it? :P

NoA's de-facto "update time" is usually around 9 AM Pacific time (GMT -8, I think); it's usually around then that the weekly WiiWare/VC additions go live and it's usually around then that any web stuff of theirs is updated.

This is not a guarantee, just a guideline.

Lorde
22nd November 2010, 1:28 AM
Tsutarja: Corruption of "tsuta" which means ivy + 'ja' an alternate reading for this character 蛇 which means snake/serpent.
Pokabu: From the onomatopoeia pokapoka meaning a warm feeling (especially body warmth) + buta 'pig'
Mijumaru: Most likely from mijuku meaning 'untrained, inexperienced, immature, unripe' and maru which means circle or round, but is also a traditional suffix on boys names.

That's really neat information there. I knew what Tsutarja's name was derived from since I saw someone post about it before, but I had been confused about the origin of Pokabu and Mijumaru's names. I always thought that the "bu" part of Pokabu's name came from ブー (bu), which is the Japanese equivalent of "oink" apparently. As for Mijumaru, I always thought it's name was derived from 水 (mizu), a reference to it being a Water-type Pokemon. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 2:38 AM
NoA's de-facto "update time" is usually around 9 AM Pacific time (GMT -8, I think); it's usually around then that the weekly WiiWare/VC additions go live and it's usually around then that any web stuff of theirs is updated.

This is not a guarantee, just a guideline.

So that's.... roughly 16 hours from now, right? Or have I miscalculated? I hope so, cause I was hoping it'd be midnight. Was planning to stay up and everything.

[aka]
22nd November 2010, 2:51 AM
Speaking of names, I love Muurando's name and think it would work perfectly as "Mulondo". (Mustache+long+dog.)

BCVM22
22nd November 2010, 2:54 AM
So that's.... roughly 16 hours from now, right?

If your "now" point is 6 PM Pacific Time (roughly 6 minutes from the time of this post), it's 15 hours.

Them updating right at the crack of midnight is not impossible but unlikely. "Monday, November 22" doesn't usually mean "the very second at which the calender turns to that day".

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 3:08 AM
Speaking of names, I've been working on name meanings for the Japanese names, only up to Mamambou and I'm sure no one's that interested but anyway:

To save myself explaining each time, here’s some sound changes in Japanese depending on the phonetic context:
k --> g
s-->z (but shi --> ji)
t -->d
h-->p, b

Also sometimes when romanizing: r=l, b=v, ji = zi, su = th

Victini - Victory + Tiny
Tsutarja - Corruption of Tsuta 蔦 “ivy” + ja 蛇 “snake”
Janovy - Ja 蛇 “snake” + ivy.
Jalorda - Ja 蛇“snake” + lord
Pokabu - Pokapoka “warmth/warm body” + buta 豚 “pig”
Chaobu - Chao from Chinese for “great” or Chaobi “brown belt” + buu a corruption of “pig” or the word for “oink”
Emboar - Ember + Boar
Mijumaru - Mijuku 未熟 “inexperienced/young/unskilled” + maru 丸/円 “round/circle”, also a traditional suffix for boy’s names.
Futachimaru - Futatsu 二つ “two” + Hotachi “shell” + maru “round/circle”, also a traditional suffix for boy’s names.
Daikenki - Dai 大 “big/large/great” + Kenki 剣鬼 “devilish swordsman”
Minezumi - miru 見る “see/look/watch” + nezumi 鼠 “mouse”
Miruhog - miru 見る “see/look/watch” + grounghog
Yorterrie - Portmanteau of Yorkshire Terrier
Harderrier - Either Hair or Hard + terrier
Murando - Moustache + Long + Dog
Choroneko - Choromakasu “to pilfer/steal” + neko 猫 “cat”
Leopardas - Leopard + random s/th sound or dasu “to take out”
Yanappu - Yanagi 柳 “willow” + ape
Yanakkie - Yanagi 柳 “willow” + monkey
Baoppu - Boab tree + ape (not 100% happy with this one)
Baokkie - Boab tree + monkey
Hiyappu - Hyacinth or hiya 冷 “cold water” + ape
Hiyakkie - Hyacinth or hiya冷 “cold water” + monkey
Munna - Mu 夢 “dream” + (maybe, but not convinced) lunar
Musharna - Mu “dream”
Mamepato - Mame 忠実 “diligent/loyal’ + hato 鳩 “pigeon”. Could be a play on mune 胸 “chest” and haato ハート “heart” which is a feature of Mamepato’s design.
Hatooboo - Hato “pigeon” 鳩
Kenhorou - Kenken is onomatopoeia for hopping on one foot (as seen in Kenhorou’s sprite) + horohoro is onomatopoeia for a gurgling bird sound.
Shimama - Corruption of Shima-uma 縞馬 “zebra”
Zebraika - Zebra + raika 雷火 "flash of lightning"
Dangoro - Either dangai 断崖 “cliff”, dan “sound of something heavy landing after a fall” or Dango “dumpling” + gorogoro “sound of something heavy rolling”
Gantle - Gan 岩 “rock” + mantle
Gigaiath - Giga + Gaia + Goliath
Koromori - Korokoro “sound of something light rolling” + koumori 蝙蝠 “bat”
Kokoromori - kokoro 心 “heart” + koumori蝙蝠“bat”
Mogurew - Mogura 土竜 “mole” + ryuu 竜 “dragon. When written in characters, Mogura means literally “soil dragon”. This is a play off of that.
Doryuuzu - Do 土 “soil/earth/dirt” + Ryuu竜“dragon” + Doriruzu “drills”. See above.
Tabunne - Literally means “Probably, right?” or “maybe”
Dokkora -
Dotekkotsu - Doteppara 土手っ腹“guts” + kotsu 骨 “bones/skeleton”
Roobushin - Low (maybe) + Bushin 武神 “god of military arts”
Otamaro - Otamajakushi お玉杓子 “tadpole” + maro 麿 “someone with thin eyebrows”
Gamagaru - Gama 蝦蟇 “toad” + a corruption of ‘frog’ kaeru 蛙, when used in another word for toad: hikigaeru 蟇蛙
Gamageroge - gama蝦蟇“toad” + gerogero “ribbitribbit”
Nageki - nageru “to throw” 投げる + “geki” 激 violent
Dageki - literally means a blow or strike on an opponent. See above.
Kurumiru - Kurumu 包む “to wrap up in/dress up in” + (maybe) irui 衣類 “clothes/clothing/garments”
Kurumayu - Kurumu包む “to wrap up in/dress up in” + Mayu 繭 “cocoon”
Hahakomori - ha 葉 "leaf" + haha 母 "mother" + komori 子守 "baby-sitting"
Fushide - Fushi 節 “joint” + mukade 百足 “centipede”
Wheega - Wheel + (maybe) iga 毬 “burr”
Pendora - (thanks Bulbapedia) corruption of Scolopendra subspinipes
Monmen - Either corruption of Momen “cotton” or a portmanteau of momen “cotton” and monster.
Elfuun - (Maybe) Elf + fuu-un 風雲 “wind and cloud”
Tuline -Tulip + ne 根 "root", possibly a play on yurine 百合根 "lily bulb"
Doreidia - Dorei土鈴 ‘earthernware bell’ + a corruption of the English word ‘lady.’ Dorei is also a word for slave 奴隷
Basurao - Bass + masurao 益荒男 “hero”
Meguroco - meguroi 目黒い "dark eyed" + croc
Waruvile - Waru 悪 “bad” + vile + (maybe) crocodile
Waruvial - Waru悪“bad” + gavial (thanks Bulbapedia)
Darumakka - Daruma “Daruma doll” + makka 真っ赤 “crimson/rich red” + ka 火 “fire”
Hihidaruma - Hihi “baboon” + hidaruma 火達磨 “state of being on fire” + daruma “Daruma doll”
Maraccachi - Maracas + catchy or mariachi
Ishizumai - ishi 石 “a stone” + sumai 住まい “residence”
Iwapalace - iwa 岩 “rock” + palace
Zurug - zuruzuru “sound of dragging, something being loose” + thug (not Zulu -____-)
Zuruzukin - zuruzuru “sound of dragging, something being loose” + skin or (maybe) kin
Symbolar - Symbol
Deathmas - Death + mask
Deathkahn - Death + a corruption of kan 棺 “tomb/coffin”, and/or a corruption of Tutankhamen
Protorga - Proto + tortgua Spanish for turtle (thanks Bulbagarden)
Abagora -
Archeon - corruption of archaeopteryx
Archeos - corruption of archaeopteryx
Yabukuron - yabuku “tear/burst” + fukuro 袋 “bag”
Dustdas - Dust/Garbage + dasu 出す ‘to put out/to reveal”
Zorua - Zoro, Spanish for fox
Zoroark - Zoro, Spanish for fox + Dark
Chillarmy - Chinchilla + army or ermine (armin アーミン in Japanese, compared to Chirarmii チラーミィ)
Chillaccino - Chinchilla + (possibly, thanks to Bulbapedia) Chino cloth.
Gochimu - gothic + (possibly) mutto "to look sullen" or the English word ‘mood’.
Gochimiru - gochi "gothic" + miru 見る "to see"
Gochiruzeru - gothic + mademoiselle
Uniran - Uni + ran 卵 which is possibly a play on egg/yolk sac
Douburan - Double + ran (see above)
Ranculus - Ran (see above) + homunculus
Koaruhie - ko 子 “child” + a corruption of “ahiru” 家鴨 which is duck
Swanna - A corruption of the English word ‘swan’.
Vanipetti - vanilla + petite “small/diminutive”
Vanirichi - vanilla + rich
Baivanilla - bai 倍 “multiple, double” or bi- meaning double + vanilla
Shikijika - shiki 四季 ‘four seasons’ + shika 鹿 deer
Mebukijika - mebuku 芽吹く to bud + shika 鹿 deer
Emonga - electricity/electric + momonga, ‘flying squirrel’
Kaburumo - kaburu 被る “to wear”
Chevalugot(Shubarugo) - shubaria from the French "chevalier" or “knight” in English + es cargot, cooked snails.
Tamagetake - tamageru 魂消る “to be astonished or startled” + take (as in shiitake 茸 “mushroom”
Morobareru - Moroude/morote “both arms/both hands” + bareru “to be exposed/uncovered/revealed”
Pururiru - (maybe) comes from the English words ‘pull’ and ‘frill’.
Blungel - (thanks to Bulbapedia) Blue + angel
Mamambo - Mama “mother” + Mambou 翻車魚 “ocean sunfish”

Will edit later with the rest if I get time.

R_N
22nd November 2010, 3:20 AM
Wouldn't Burungel make more sense as Blue gel

Jellyfish are often compared to gelatin and jelly

[aka]
22nd November 2010, 3:22 AM
Also sometimes when romanizing: ji = zi

Do you think "Jiheddo" is a coincidence considering "Monozu" and Sazandora?

Kurloz Makara
22nd November 2010, 3:25 AM
Why do I have a feeling that Tsutarja's English name might include some French word (considering it's kinda based on French royalty)? I could be wrong, though. :(

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 3:29 AM
Ji is a rather uncommon reading of 二 which means two, making Jihead's name literally mean Twohead. It's resemblance to a violent religious dogma is unfortunate, but unintentional, and I beleive the romanizition is not intended to be Zihead.

Zu comes from 頭 meaning head, so Monozu is literally Monohead. Sa and san/zan both mean three 三, so Sazandra's name literally means something like Trithreedra.

Dr. Leggs
22nd November 2010, 3:59 AM
I always nickname my Pokemon so I'm not particularly concerned about how good the English names are... The only thing that ever irks me about name translations is learning all the names again. Because I had all the Japanese names memorized pretty quickly. XD

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 4:25 AM
The only thing that ever irks me about name translations is learning all the names again. Because I had all the Japanese names memorized pretty quickly. XD

Yeah that happened to me. I remember when I was playing D/P for the first time and I was choosing a starter and I was like "Should I pick Naetoru or Pochama?" Then I thought for a second and face-palmed :P

LexSuicune
22nd November 2010, 5:07 AM
As for Mijumaru, I always thought it's name was derived from 水 (mizu), a reference to it being a Water-type Pokemon. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Same.

I can't wait 'till we figure out the names of the starters tomorrow, what time?

BCVM22
22nd November 2010, 5:10 AM
I can't wait 'till we figure out the names of the starters tomorrow, what time?

Look eight, ten, twelve and thirteen posts up.

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 5:46 AM
Look eight, ten, twelve and thirteen posts up.

Oh, I can't wait much longer, this was something I wanted to know since they were revealed. But if Tsutarja's English name is Smugleaf I swear I'm going to vomit....