PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

wowzers
22nd November 2010, 5:54 AM
it will never be smugleaf no matter how many fanboys and or girls like it :P

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 6:31 AM
it will never be smugleaf no matter how many fanboys and or girls like it :P

I sure hope your right. I think it sounds...bad, really bad.
No offense to anyone who like the name. ^^

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 6:38 AM
I think I talked about this in a past thread, but I'll say it again. Does anyone think it's weird how Luvdisc and Mamanbou aren't related? I mean, I know that B/W was supposed to be a gen COMPLETELY seperate from the others (meaning no pre-evos/evos from past gens), but why put in a Pokemon that looks SO MUCH LIKE a possible evo for Luvdisc?

R_N
22nd November 2010, 6:41 AM
They talked about this in an interview. Since there would be no old Pokemon in Isshu, they decided not to limit themselves based on animals/ideas used before.

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 6:58 AM
Well, I guess that makes more sense. I mean, they did recycle using Electric/Fire/Ice in the major Legndary trio, the first being the Bird trio.

R_N
22nd November 2010, 7:05 AM
Well, I guess that makes more sense. I mean, they did recycle using Electric/Fire/Ice in the major Legndary trio, the first being the Bird trio.

Reusing types isn't that major, honestly. There's only so many, afterall.

If the dragons were straight up birds then maybe.

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 8:23 AM
I think I talked about this in a past thread, but I'll say it again. Does anyone think it's weird how Luvdisc and Mamanbou aren't related? I mean, I know that B/W was supposed to be a gen COMPLETELY seperate from the others (meaning no pre-evos/evos from past gens), but why put in a Pokemon that looks SO MUCH LIKE a possible evo for Luvdisc?

Yea, I know what you mean like.
http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/370.png This does not = this http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/594.png

http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/148.png But this = this http://pokejungle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/149.png

I wonder if at first they might did have plans to have Pokemon from other regions be in Isshu? Luvdisc and Mamanbou look so much alike. Maybe they just should have made Mamanbou purple like it's shiny form for it's original form...

Exodd
22nd November 2010, 8:54 AM
My guess at the starters' English names is Snivy, Porkurn, and Otturai.

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 9:29 AM
My guess at the starters' English names is Snivy, Porkurn, and Otturai.

Hmmm...I think they might keep the samurai referrence until Futachimaru/Daikenki's english names, cuz they seem the more samurai-ish type, but that's just me.

Mr. E Goods
22nd November 2010, 10:50 AM

They probably are biologically related in the pokemon world, since they are so similar. But Mamanbou is really just a replacement of Luvdisc for this gen

Pikacu
22nd November 2010, 12:16 PM
They probably are biologically related in the pokemon world, since they are so similar. But Mamanbou is really just a replacement of Luvdisc for this gen

But why isnt luvdisc in B/W aswell as Mamanbou (whats the point of having a replacement)

Ash-kid
22nd November 2010, 12:31 PM
Someone knows what is the time will they will reveal the staters' names? I mean when exactly it should happen?

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 12:35 PM
Someone knows what is the time will they will reveal the staters' names? I mean when exactly it should happen?

I'm not even sure they have a specific time set, but I'm from Australia and my Monday's nearly up, as it is 10:05 p.m. over here

Pikacu
22nd November 2010, 12:38 PM

im guessing within the next few hours im currently sitting and refresing the page, i dont think they announced an official time

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 12:41 PM
But why isnt luvdisc in B/W aswell as Mamanbou (whats the point of having a replacement)

Because Isshu was conceived as being a seperate ecosystem from the first four regions, and so no old Pokemon were to appear from the start. This also freed them up to re-use some basic shapes, animals or colours for Pokemon that are filling the same/simillar environmental niche, which is why things like Mamambou exist.

As for the fan-rage inducing names, there's no set time, but BCVM22 suggested 9AM American Eastern time is a typical guideline for those sort of updates (just over 2 hours away as of now)

Missingno. Master
22nd November 2010, 12:51 PM
Because Isshu was conceived as being a seperate ecosystem from the first four regions, and so no old Pokemon were to appear from the start. This also freed them up to re-use some basic shapes, animals or colours for Pokemon that are filling the same/simillar environmental niche, which is why things like Mamambou exist.

Understandable, but I still think that making a Pokemon with alarming similarities to Luvdisc and not having it evolve from said Pokemon is major trolling on their part. They could have at least made it clear early on that it wasn't a Luvdisc evolution. Or at least do what they did with Electivire, make it an evolution but not in the regional Pokedex, so you wouldn't have to deal with it until after you beat the game and thus could find Luvdisc.

As for the fan-rage inducing names, there's no set time, but BCVM22 suggested 9AM is a typical guideline for those sort of updates (just over 3 hours away as of now)

Three hours? Three HOURS?! THREE HOURS?!?! The only rage being induced here is because of the freakin' wait! I mean sure, three hours seems like nothing, but do you have any idea how long that is in Pokemon fanatic years?!?!

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 1:06 PM
Understandable, but I still think that making a Pokemon with alarming similarities to Luvdisc and not having it evolve from said Pokemon is major trolling on their part. They could have at least made it clear early on that it wasn't a Luvdisc evolution. Or at least do what they did with Electivire, make it an evolution but not in the regional Pokedex, so you wouldn't have to deal with it until after you beat the game and thus could find Luvdisc.

Apart from being pink fish they don't look that similar, at least not to me. They look like they could be related, but no more than Shikijika and Stantler or Nosepass and Gigaiath.

Three hours? Three HOURS?! THREE HOURS?!?! The only rage being induced here is because of the freakin' wait! I mean sure, three hours seems like nothing, but do you have any idea how long that is in Pokemon fanatic years?!?!

Three hours, maybe more maybe less. I am aware of how long it may feel - just go read a book or watch TV or something and forget about it for a while to pass the time.

Ophie
22nd November 2010, 1:06 PM
If Mamanbou was originally going to be an evolution of Luvdisc, they must've changed the idea early on, because Mamanbou is functionally VERY different from Luvdisc. Luvdisc has the fragile speedster stat spread, but Mamanbou has the bulky HP stat spread. The two also have pretty few moves in common and entirely different Abilities.

Nearly all Pokémon have the same function and specialties when they evolve; Luvdisc and Mamanbou are just too different.

Wouldn't Burungel make more sense as Blue gel

Jellyfish are often compared to gelatin and jelly

No, because the G in Burungel's name is a hard G. You'd pronounce it like you would "get," except with an L in place of the T.

Ji is a rather uncommon reading of 二 which means two, making Jihead's name literally mean Twohead. It's resemblance to a violent religious dogma is unfortunate, but unintentional, and I beleive the romanizition is not intended to be Zihead.

Zu comes from 頭 meaning head, so Monozu is literally Monohead. Sa and san/zan both mean three 三, so Sazandra's name literally means something like Trithreedra.

Splitting hairs here, but I want to clear up a misconception: Jihad is NOT something evil, despite what Al Qaeda and the like make them seem to be. Jihad is a religious war done out of self-defense, against a direct threat to the existence of Islam. Also, the opposing side MUST have caused the first strike. (The Koran forbids any sort of violence to anybody except in times of war.) The United States is not a threat to Islam; terrorist attacks on the USA are not actually acts of jihad. A true jihad would be the reaction against the Crusades, where the Roman Catholic Church attempted to take Jerusalem by force about 1000 years ago, which was occupied by the Muslims at that time. Another example would be the communists' attempted takeover of Afghanistan (as Stalinist communism is atheist)--and the American forces helped the Afghans repel them.

Nevertheless, the word is incredibly sensitive and controversial, and I apologize if I upset anyone with the above paragraph. I really don't want to offend anybody. But I just wanted to make it clear that it's not an evil term at all.

Also, Jiheddo's name will certainly change, as I'm sure Nintendo of America has noticed the unfortunate similarity. I'd bet they'll try to keep the puns though...something like Bicranium or Duodome, though I'm sure they've come up with something better than that.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 1:14 PM
If Mamanbou was originally going to be an evolution of Luvdisc, they must've changed the idea early on, because Mamanbou is functionally VERY different from Luvdisc. Luvdisc has the fragile speedster stat spread, but Mamanbou has the bulky HP stat spread. The two also have pretty few moves in common and entirely different Abilities.

This, forever this.

Splitting hairs here, but I want to clear up a misconception: Jihad is NOT something evil, despite what Al Qaeda and the like make them seem to be. Jihad is a religious war done out of self-defense, against a direct threat to the existence of Islam. Also, the opposing side MUST have caused the first strike. (The Koran forbids any sort of violence to anybody except in times of war.) The United States is not a threat to Islam; terrorist attacks on the USA are not actually acts of jihad. A true jihad would be the reaction against the Crusades, where the Roman Catholic Church attempted to take Jerusalem by force about 1000 years ago, which was occupied by the Muslims at that time. Another example would be the communists' attempted takeover of Afghanistan (as Stalinist communism is atheist)--and the American forces helped the Afghans repel them.

Am well away, hence why I never used the term evil. 'Violent religious dogma' still describes the concept of religiously advocated wars, regardless of the religion used to justify them, in my opinion. Regardless, we move on.

Also, Jiheddo's name will certainly change, as I'm sure Nintendo of America has noticed the unfortunate similarity. I'd bet they'll try to keep the puns though...something like Bicranium or Duodome, though I'm sure they've come up with something better than that.

Yes, I'm sure they'll go for something like that, I did think about something like Tridra /Trydrafor Sazandra earlier today, although most of my thought up names are awful, although I will stand by stuff like Hoglow (Pokabu/Chaobu), Mushield (Morobareru), and Rollder (Dangoro) until I die :P.

You know what I'm looking forward to more than finding out the names - the massive trolling fan rage where people swear to Arceus that they're going to nickname their Wottar "Miju4eva" and decry NoA's lack of creativity. Ah, good times.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 1:53 PM
You know what I'm looking forward to more than finding out the names - the massive trolling fan rage where people swear to Arceus that they're going to nickname their Wottar "Miju4eva" and decry NoA's lack of creativity. Ah, good times.

I like to call it the "Gonbe effect".

Will-powered Spriter
22nd November 2010, 1:59 PM
Aw, I walked home during my lunch break to see if they'd updated (that and I'd left my lunch at home).

The site updating at am American time is reasonable, but I was under the impression that America was ahead of England, time wise. My knowledge of GMT is appalling.

I think the Fan-Rage over these names will be better then last gen. Half of the internet is really attatched to smugleaf, and half loath it, so there's going to be huge discontent regardless of what they call Tsutarja.

I still think Lettuce, Bacon and Tomato.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 1:59 PM
Aw, I walked home during my lunch break to see if they'd updated (that and I'd left my lunch at home).

The site updating at am American time is reasonable, but I was under the impression that America was ahead of England, time wise. My knowledge of GMT is appalling.

I think the Fan-Rage over these names will be better then last gen. Half of the internet is really attatched to smugleaf, and half loath it, so there's going to be huge discontent regardless of what they call Tsutarja.

I still think Lettuce, Bacon and Tomato.

....Tomato?

Pikacu
22nd November 2010, 2:08 PM
Where did tomato come from?

Deicario
22nd November 2010, 2:14 PM
I'm guessing Miju's nose.

Will-powered Spriter
22nd November 2010, 5:02 PM
Where did tomato come from?

I'm guessing Miju's nose.

Yeah, that and it was thematically appropriate (BLT sandwhich).

I was kinda expecting it to be definately revealed by now. What time is it currently in America?

Nacreous
22nd November 2010, 5:09 PM
The names aren't revealed yet?>.>

WeWereGiants
22nd November 2010, 5:11 PM
I think it's around 11 AM in New York right now, I just want them to release the names now.

Locormus
22nd November 2010, 5:15 PM
I think it's around 11 AM in New York right now, I just want them to release the names now.

I think you're right, but are they gonna reveal them at noon Eastern Standard Time? Or PST? Heck, do I have to wait 45 more minutes!??

It's 17:15 where I live! And I've got a moviedate to go to!!! AAARGH!!!!

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 5:17 PM
It's 08:17 in someparts of America... if your from the UK (Like Me) I think it we will have them by about 10 tonight.

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 5:21 PM
I'm actually happy they didn't reveal them yet, because I just came from school and I didn't want to miss the big discussion.

BTW it's 17:20 where I live.

WeWereGiants
22nd November 2010, 5:24 PM
I think they'll be up by 12 EST, so in about 35 minutes *fingers crossed*

Krake
22nd November 2010, 5:35 PM
Yeah, it's around 10:30 Central time, so we might have to wait half an hour to an hour until the names are posted.

Ash-kid
22nd November 2010, 5:37 PM
23 minutes to go. Hope for good names. Pokabu should remain with the same name.

the1stpkmnfan
22nd November 2010, 5:38 PM
Mmm hopefully soon. Been craving to know the names and today is the day. ><

Will-powered Spriter
22nd November 2010, 5:42 PM

You can bet it won't.

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 5:47 PM
Yeah, it's around 10:30 Central time, so we might have to wait half an hour to an hour until the names are posted.

I think they'll be up by 12 EST, so in about 35 minutes *fingers crossed*

23 minutes to go.

How do you guys know?

cazatron
22nd November 2010, 5:54 PM
i'm betting that tsutarja's line will reference vines in their names, i mean they're grass type snakes, they LOOK like vines for crying out loud! i was thinking about the names last night and th only thing i could come up with was pignite for pokabu but someone's already suggested it =/ ah well i suggested that one of the electric zebra's should be called Zapra.

DSDark
22nd November 2010, 5:56 PM
How do you guys know?

just a guess. most new is given at 12 noon, however we aren't sure if it'll be EST, or PST

WeWereGiants
22nd November 2010, 5:56 PM
How do you guys know?

We're sort of guessing, it could be midday EST which is in 5 minutes, or midday CST which is in an hour. We're all hoping it's in 5 minutes.

DSDark
22nd November 2010, 6:01 PM
I'm guessing 12 PST

Rentaline99
22nd November 2010, 6:04 PM

I'm thinking Porkabu.

It would be funny if the site only shows the pokemon and not the names.

Ash-kid
22nd November 2010, 6:06 PM
They haven't updated the site yet. I guess we will wait another hour.

WeWereGiants
22nd November 2010, 6:13 PM
*sigh* if it's not up in an hour i'll be quite disappointed that i stayed up.

Mr. Joker
22nd November 2010, 6:15 PM
Oh wow. Someone actually stayed up to see the names. Kudos to you.

Still thinking: Smugleaf, Wotter, and Emblit.

Locormus
22nd November 2010, 6:19 PM

Lol, I don't know for sure, but I think I actually coined Wotter! At least I thought it up independently and that it kinda took off, I don't know if anybody else thought it up as well though.. Smugleaf remains the best fan name ever though xD

Lately I've been thinking about 'Splotter' (splash and otter) for Mijumaru, but that just doesn't come out right without spitting.. Or Dritter, Dripping and otter, but who knows.. I guess we'll have to wait 40 more minutes..

WeWereGiants
22nd November 2010, 6:26 PM

It's summer holidays here... nothing else to do.

I like Pignite more, but I won't complain if those are the actual names.

Tropios
22nd November 2010, 6:29 PM
i hope miju and tsuta are not gonna be wotter and smugleaf.
i dont like wotter because its ugly and silly and i dont like smugleaf because it sounds like something gross that sticks to your shoe

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 6:29 PM
It would be funny if the site only shows the pokemon and not the names.

Actually I would find that both heart breaking & depressing. But now that you mentioned it, I just realized something: How do we know they ARE going to reveal the names? I know there are articles all around the internet saying they will, but all the Official website mentioned was that they'd reveal the starters. I couldn't find anything else on that website mentioning they were going to include the names

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 6:37 PM
It would be a little pointless to show the pokemon and not reveal the names :L All I know is that In a few hours, were gonna have the names of some of the best starters!

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 6:40 PM
*comes out of class, it is midday here in Florida*

....STILL?! Holy crap, what's taking them so long? It's November 22... well, damn, the entire globe now.

R_N
22nd November 2010, 6:41 PM
Why on earth would they show the starters and then not also show their names.

They never do that (for official reveals, not inadvertent accidental reveals)

the1stpkmnfan
22nd November 2010, 6:42 PM
Exactly. I had thought Pokemon.com would go that route and make a dissapointment there. However, Im lookin on the bright side that they do reveal their names and everything, as they've done that with Reshiram and Zekrom. I believe they did the same thing to reveal Shaymin in the US, for Movie 11.

Same went for Darkrai and Arceus, I think.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 6:48 PM
All we know is....
- It can be within the next 14 hours
- The names WILL be revealed (common sense)
- It will be the start of a huge war about the names.
- Its likely that the news will appear at each hour

So just keep checking back every hour!

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 6:49 PM
Well, since we're still waiting, here are my guesses:

Tsutarja: Juvine, Junivy (Juvenile is one of the terms for baby snake + either vine or ivy)

Pokabu: Shoacoal (Shoat- Young pig + charcoal)

Mijumaru: Whoplet or Puplet (Whelp or Pup[both terms for baby otters] + droplet)

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 6:52 PM
I like those names^^ Apart Puplet sounds too much like Piplup to me, but hey, its NoA :L

Lorde
22nd November 2010, 6:58 PM
Looks like no English names for Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru yet. Strange, I thought the main Pokemon site would have updated a while ago while I was asleep haha. They did say that three new Pokemon would be revealed. I'm wondering if Pokemon.com will just troll us all by revealing their pictures but not their names. "These three Pokemon will have their names revealed soon! Keeping checking Pokemon.com for updates!". I can totally see that happening.

Aurath8
22nd November 2010, 6:59 PM
Shoacoal = Shuckle anyone? Naw, Pignite for me.
It'd be hilarious if Tsutarja really was called Smugleaf, the fandom would be right for once!

Krake
22nd November 2010, 7:15 PM
I really doubt that the site would just reveal the starters without their names. Japan didn't do that when the starters were revealed there.

Also, I can assume that the names will probably be revealed sometime in the afternoon. Why? Because Pokemon.com is mostly geared towards kids (what with it's activities and everything), and most kids are in school right now.

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 7:30 PM
I'm wondering if Pokemon.com will just troll us all by revealing their pictures but not their names. "These three Pokemon will have their names revealed soon! Keeping checking Pokemon.com for updates!". I can totally see that happening.

Honestly, even though I don't want that to happen, that's what I keep on thinking they'll do the more & more we're stuck waiting. I honestly feel that if this does happen, it'll just be like giving a middle finger to everyone waited for hours trying to figure out the names

LexSuicune
22nd November 2010, 7:43 PM
What's taking them so long :(

Mijumarus' name has me worried, every speculative name I've heard is cringe-worthy.

Tropios
22nd November 2010, 7:45 PM
Honestly, even though I don't want that to happen, that's what I keep on thinking they'll do the more & more we're stuck waiting. I honestly feel that if this does happen, it'll just be like giving a middle finger to everyone waited for hours trying to figure out the names
if i was pokemon.com, id actually do that :p its fun to torture people.
no seriously that would be funny

Sponge
22nd November 2010, 7:50 PM
I'm hoping for Ottide (Ot-tide) for Mijumaru. (Otter + Tide)

I saw someone mention it over at Pokecommunity forums and fell in love with it.

stenli
22nd November 2010, 7:52 PM
Who keeps reloading the page as I do? :-|
It's 1.50 in my place... 1.50 AM :-|
BTW Smugleaf FTW!

Linkdarkside
22nd November 2010, 7:54 PM
What's taking them so long :(

probably it because it will be a press release so they be giving pics and stuff to sites like IGN ,Gamespot,ect.

Lorde
22nd November 2010, 7:59 PM
Mijumarus' name has me worried, every speculative name I've heard is cringe-worthy.

I bet it'll be otterly ridiculous! Just a little joke to loosen the tension. I'm pretty sure the Pokemon.com will include Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru's official English names along with their update. I was just sort of playing around with the idea that they might not. It would certainly be upsetting but I don't think the people who release the information are cruel enough to leave all the fans hanging. After that whole "C&D" thing from September, I don't think it would be a good idea to tease the fans.

yeminied
22nd November 2010, 8:00 PM
I am so glad I didn't stay up all night for these names because it's morning now and I was thinking I would have woken up to the names. Oh well, not much longer now.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 8:12 PM
I'm hoping for Ottide (Ot-tide) for Mijumaru. (Otter + Tide)

I saw someone mention it over at Pokecommunity forums and fell in love with it.

That's one I hadn't heard... Not too bad, I could go with that. Little awkward, dosen't roll off the tongue, but passable.

Is it just me, or it pokemon.com not loading? It takes forever to load, and then it just says "Load Failed".

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 8:47 PM
I'm fed up of refreshing the site >.< and now this forum has died... woo! Just please Pokemon.com... update now?

Sponge
22nd November 2010, 8:58 PM
That's one I hadn't heard... Not too bad, I could go with that. Little awkward, dosen't roll off the tongue, but passable.

Is it just me, or it pokemon.com not loading? It takes forever to load, and then it just says "Load Failed".

Really? I think it rolls off the tongue very well. Better than Wotter anyway...any time I say Wotter I feel like a pre-schooler. :/

Star_Five_Ledian
22nd November 2010, 9:01 PM
Like a bunch of people here I was expecting this to come early :(

...I know this wont happen but the most overrated names are:
Smugleaf,Pignite,Wotter

Sponge
22nd November 2010, 9:08 PM
Smugleaf is a horrible name really....it's alright as a fan name....but not the official name.

Pignite and Wotter don't do much for me either.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 9:09 PM
Well its 12:00 in the US (In some places).. so it really will be only 12 hours MAXIMUM until we get the names.... I'm hoping its in the next 4... seeming I'm going to sleep at 12!

With the help of the Sugimori art, I am 100&#37; in love with this gen. There is literally a handful of pokemon I'm not liking. I suppose its just the thought..... these are the only pokemon we are going to see for another, what... 3/4 years minimum?

LexSuicune
22nd November 2010, 9:12 PM
I bet it'll be otterly ridiculous! Just a little joke to loosen the tension. I'm pretty sure the Pokemon.com will include Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru's official English names along with their update. I was just sort of playing around with the idea that they might not. It would certainly be upsetting but I don't think the people who release the information are cruel enough to leave all the fans hanging. After that whole "C&D" thing from September, I don't think it would be a good idea to tease the fans.

I guess I'm just used to Mijumaru by now...

It was the same with Pocchama... The whole PIPLIPPPIPLLIIIIPPLIPILIPP noise in the anime made me gag.

the1stpkmnfan
22nd November 2010, 9:15 PM
Argh. Came back from going out for awhile and I see nada yet. Still, Im growing more curious and hope that the names are that great to wait for.

Still got my fingers ringed around for Snaivy/Snazor for Tsutjara, or something like Twotter/Bubblotter for Mijumaru, and Pigleit for Pokabu.

At least let them be better than my guesses, GF. :P

Masterge77
22nd November 2010, 9:17 PM
I'm suprised that they are not up yet, usually, stuff like this is updated already, they better put them up soon......

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 9:23 PM
I bet it'll be otterly ridiculous!

Thanks for making me smile at least. :)

The names better be good. I wonder if we'll also get Isshu's 'name' when it becomes Issu or something trollzy like Nu-yorc or Sang-hai :P

EDIT: Just as an aisde Pochapochapocha was just as annoying in the Japanese dub as Piplupluplup

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 9:29 PM
You know that they will reveal the starters... do you think there is any chance they will reveal more? i.e. english name of Isshu?? I'm just curious tbh..

URRGH! Why is it taking so long? Watch... they will push back the announcement... or is that even possible? I just wish they told us an exact time so we wouldn't be doing all of this :L

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd November 2010, 9:40 PM
Good lord, if they'd given an exact time the whole internetz would break trying to log in at once :P Fo real.

It's possible they'll also give us Isshu's name ("And now introducing the starting Pokemon of the Nu-Yorc Region (TM) Serplant, Hoglow and Shellade.") but they can just as easily do it without mentioning Isshu's name.

Shneak
22nd November 2010, 9:42 PM
Dammit Pokemon.com, don't lie to us!

Slowemperor
22nd November 2010, 9:43 PM
I didn't care for the names just yesterday, but the fact they are not telling is making me desesparetly impatient.

the1stpkmnfan
22nd November 2010, 9:43 PM
Just what I thought too lol The site will end up lagging any everything, so everyone knows when to jump in simultaneously. :P

Plus, when there announcing the date when something like this is revealed, I say its more like a promised announcement. Since Pokemon.com IS official and what not, so they gotta keep everything in line. Just hoping its sometime soon, or even tonight. As long as the names are announced before 12am cst 11/23, I cannot complain.

MetalFlygon08
22nd November 2010, 9:45 PM
They were Just revealed go there now!!!

You just got FlygonRolled

Honestly I bet dollars to doughnuts Emboar stays emboar.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 9:45 PM
Well, EST its 3:43... I heard someone else mention that it could be after all the school kids in the US are finished.. but highlighted that it might be when ALL have finished, which could be about 6PM EST time. Ok, I'm gonna stop moaning now.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 9:47 PM
Really? I think it rolls off the tongue very well. Better than Wotter anyway...any time I say Wotter I feel like a pre-schooler. :/

Well, it's a decent name, but the T sounds in "Ot" and "tide" kind of clash with each other phoenetically, like it's trying to add another syllable. But I agree, still much better than Wotter.

Good lord, if they'd given an exact time the whole internetz would break trying to log in at once :P Fo real.

It's possible they'll also give us Isshu's name ("And now introducing the starting Pokemon of the Nu-Yorc Region (TM) Serplant, Hoglow and Shellade.") but they can just as easily do it without mentioning Isshu's name.

SERPLANT! Of course! It's so obvious! Why didn't I think of that?
I don't care for the other two, but Serplant would be great.

I'm fed up of refreshing the site >.< and now this forum has died... woo! Just please Pokemon.com... update now?

Heh... we've all refreshed it so much that we killed the site. So now, ironically, they could have updated with the names and we'd never know it! :p

Maiq
22nd November 2010, 9:51 PM
What about Tinderpig for Pokabu?

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 9:51 PM
They were Just revealed go there now!!!

You just got FlygonRolled

Honestly I bet dollars to doughnuts Emboar stays emboar.

....goddammit. I fell for that.

I offer this as revenge:
THE GAME

MetalFlygon08
22nd November 2010, 9:58 PM
Aw crap...

Oh wait I have my Game saving coupon so nyeh!

Also I don't think Miju's name will pun off of bubbles like some fan names suggest, since it doesn't learn bubble.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 9:58 PM
Wow we really did break the site. It took like 10 minutes to load, and then finally this is what loaded:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Seedoweedo/we-broke-the-official-site-lol.gif

XD

the1stpkmnfan
22nd November 2010, 9:59 PM
Man was I fooled too. I literally grew some shock but nyeh. :P

Anyways, theres probably one last thing to do at a time like this...
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c6/495.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/69/498.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/55/501.png

You three! What are your English names!? I know Pokemon.com told you, since you guys are in staff. Now tell us! >: )

Alright, bad cop moment over.

And here comes the 3pm CST hour.

Harreh
22nd November 2010, 10:00 PM
Almost new hour :<

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 10:01 PM
Wait, the names hasn't been revealed yet!?
It's 4 pm right now here in Michigan and....

Oh, I get it reall funny.
Pokemon USA you're a little late for April Fools. >___>

Chibi_Muffin
22nd November 2010, 10:03 PM
Don't worry guys! I still have the official site up!

...NEW POKÉMON REVEALED ON NOVERMBER 22ND.

...Maybe they mean November 22nd 2011? XD

Seriously though, I'll have to find out tomorrow morning. Because they just love the suspense. ¬_¬;

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 10:07 PM
I repeat, how do we know the names will be revealed?

Crystal_Power
LOL I'm so pathetic!
I had a dream about, that they revealed the English names. Hahaha. XP

DSDark
people should know, pokemon.com has never been good with revealing new information

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 10:08 PM
^^ Don't even say that.... it would probably be true haha!

I'm actually not TOO fussed If I don't get to see it tonight... I will know in the morning anyways :D

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 10:08 PM
How long are we waiting actually? 20,21 hours? I really want to know them before I go to bed, my mom is not going to be happy if I stay up too late two days in a row.

Lorde
22nd November 2010, 10:10 PM
...Maybe they mean November 22nd 2011? XD

Pokemon.com used Troll!

No, I'm pretty sure they intend to release the names soon. Maybe all of the people who are refreshing the page are causing the updaters some technical difficulties or something, so they haven't been able to add Tsutarja, Pokabu, or Mijumaru's English names? Either that or they really do intend to post the information tonight. Its interesting to note that Pokemon.com gave us some grief with the Manaphy Mission password as well. I see a trend.

Hejiru
22nd November 2010, 10:15 PM
Pokemon.com used Troll!

No, I'm pretty sure they intend to release the names soon. Maybe all of the people are refreshing the page are causing the updaters some technical difficulties or something, so they haven't been able to add Tsutarja, Pokabu, or Mijumaru's English names? Either that or they really do intend to post the information tonight.

It's super effective!

You gotta love the irony, though, right? I mean, we're so desperate for the names that we F5 like crazy, causing the website to short-circuit, meaning we can't get the names.

That'd be so epic. XD

Krake
22nd November 2010, 10:16 PM

Common sense, really. There is no reason that they'd reveal the new Pokemon, hyping the reveal the whole way, without telling us what they are named.

How long are we waiting actually? 20,21 hours? I really want to know them before I go to bed, my mom is not going to be happy if I stay up too late two days in a row.

You're staying up late for this?! Why? Can't you wait until morning? The news won't be going anywhere.

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 10:19 PM
Pokemon.com used Troll!

No, I'm pretty sure they intend to release the names soon. Maybe all of the people who are refreshing the page are causing the updaters some technical difficulties or something, so they haven't been able to add Tsutarja, Pokabu, or Mijumaru's English names? Either that or they really do intend to post the information tonight. Its interesting to note that Pokemon.com gave us some grief with the Manaphy Mission password as well. I see a trend.

Regardless, the wait is driving everyone crazy, even me. But I think the best way to calm everyone down is to try to remember when Pokemon.com did stuff like this before. What time did they post the Manaphy Mission password? Also, does anyone remember if & when they revealed the names for the other starters way back when?

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 10:24 PM
Well, I guess I'll go do something else and come back in an hour...

DSDark
22nd November 2010, 10:24 PM

Never once in the history of Pokemon has a pokemon been revealed without a name accompanying the pokemon

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 10:25 PM
You're staying up late for this?! Why? Can't you wait until morning? The news won't be going anywhere.

If I wait till morning I miss the announcement, but more importantly: I miss the begin of the discusion, I don't want to miss that :).

Luxrayess
22nd November 2010, 10:25 PM
It's super effective!

You gotta love the irony, though, right? I mean, we're so desperate for the names that we F5 like crazy, causing the website to short-circuit, meaning we can't get the names.

That'd be so epic. XD

The wild Fan-base fainted!

That would just mean Pokemon.com needs to get a better server... XD

Krake
22nd November 2010, 10:26 PM
What about a Manaphy Password?

Lorde
22nd November 2010, 10:30 PM
Regardless, the wait is driving everyone crazy, even me. But I think the best way to calm everyone down is to try to remember when Pokemon.com did stuff like this before. What time did they post the Manaphy Mission password? Also, does anyone remember if & when they revealed the names for the other starters way back when?

I remember Pokemon.com posting that they'd reveal the Manaphy Mission password "at the end of the month" a few years ago, but it wasn't posted on their site until halfway through the following month. That was driving some people crazy as you can imagine haha. I don't recall the exact time of the update however since I was asleep. I just see a similarity between that situation and this one. However, this time, they've posted an actual date for the Isshu Starter reveal so I expect things to be smoother.

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, if they weren't gonna post it today they probably would of changed the image by now.

But it has a date so I assume it will be today, just... later.

Silver_Seoul
22nd November 2010, 10:46 PM
Am I the only one who can see the updated site? O.o

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 10:53 PM

Apparently yes

Krake
22nd November 2010, 10:53 PM

Oh you :rolleyes:

What are there names? That is, if you are telling the truth :rolleyes:. Provide a screencap.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 10:55 PM

its not updated -_- stop lieing. Provide evidence if your telling the truth ;)

Silver_Seoul
22nd November 2010, 10:56 PM
Apparently yes

What are there names? That is, if you are telling the truth :rolleyes:. Provide a screencap.

Oh, wait. My bad guys I didn't mean to word it that way. >.>;

I meant the site doesn't take like ten minutes to load and then display the site all whacked up like it apparently had been for everyone else. :X

Maiq
Am I the only one who can see the updated site? O.oIt's not updated yet >_>

LimeStar

I smell a troll. Pics or it didn't happen.

Aurath8
22nd November 2010, 10:57 PM
Apparently yes

Odd, I can load it instantly(I'm use IE8 if that's relevant). The starters names still aren't up.

Mr.Munchlax
22nd November 2010, 10:58 PM

But wouldn't he still tell us the names even if he was lieing?

Silver_Seoul
22nd November 2010, 11:00 PM
Great. I made a bad rep for myself in like ten seconds all because of a mis-wording.. >.>;

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:01 PM
Guys, calm down. He didn't mean the names were up, he meant if the site was loading properly.

He did word it really badly, though.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 11:02 PM
Its a new hour again, and seems there is no update >.<

Aurath8
22nd November 2010, 11:03 PM
Another hour, yet still no starters. It's maddening.

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 11:04 PM
Oh, wait. My bad guys I didn't mean to word it that way. >.>;

I meant the site doesn't take like ten minutes to load and then display the site all whacked up like it apparently had been for everyone else. :X

Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but I think at the moment, it's wise to pick your words carefully, because ATM most of us don't really want people joking around. So... with "updated" you actually meant "normal"?

Synn
22nd November 2010, 11:05 PM
Is it meant to be on the hour? The update?

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:05 PM
What time does the site get updated anyway? Is it just random? (or does no one bother to keep track? xD)

Silver_Seoul
22nd November 2010, 11:08 PM
I'm gonna guess the names anyway.

Tsutaja - Snivy (Snake+Plant), Vinem/Vinom (Vine + Venom), ... Yea I got nothing.

Pokabu - Piglit, Pignite, or Hambert (Ham + Burnt.! ...Kidding.)

Mijumaru - Wotter,..

I'm not very original. >.>

Haunter ゴースト
Oh man im getting tired, if their isn't an update soon im gonna hit the bed and miss the forum discussion....

Meloetta
You know what? I am highly annoyed at NoA right now.

If your gonna set a date to update make sure you update as early as possible. I'm tired of waiting for these names. I'm out of town so my time is a little messed up, but I know for sure its getting pretty late so I would suggest you releasing these names before I destroy the universe.

Thank You :]

Krake
22nd November 2010, 11:09 PM
Nope :v

What time does the site get updated anyway? Is it just random? (or does no one bother to keep track? xD)

**** if I know. They can update it whenever they please, but I would think that they'd stay true to their word and post the names the date that they announced they would.

s2daam
22nd November 2010, 11:10 PM
Noone knows what time it is updating, but were kinda going by the hour. Its like, afternoon in the US now, whats taking them so long!?

Silver_Seoul
22nd November 2010, 11:11 PM
Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but I think at the moment, it's wise to pick your words carefully, because ATM most of us don't really want people joking around. So... with "updated" you actually meant "normal"?

Yea I just meant loading normal. Sorry about that.

But yeah I know just how... loony everyone around here can get. I was around back when Pokexperto revealed the final starter evos... trust me. That was the worst I've seen so far.

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:12 PM
Well, it still is the 22nd. They stuill have a few hours, but I was expecting them to update around 8am or 3 pm. No dice, it seems.

~Silver Aura~
Ohhh man I've been waiting anxouisly (sp?) for the US names all day yet we still have no news. Man this is maddening Anyway I have no idea what there names would be but I've been thinking maybe the fully evolved form of Pokebu would be Emboar. Just a guess.

LimeStar
My guess for the Tsutarja line is Serplant > Serprince > Royasp
Or maybe Royasp > Serprince > Sirplant
Whichever.

Synn
22nd November 2010, 11:14 PM
Anyone know for sure what the time in American is?
(It's already past 10pm in Scotland/UK)
You'd think they'd update either as early as possible, or at midday.

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:15 PM
I really like serplant, it sound good for some reason. (moreso than other suggestions.)

I can't think of any names. I'll be fine with whatever though. I'm more interested in what they'll call desumasu and desukan

Sponge
22nd November 2010, 11:16 PM
Just an idea for Pokabu's english name....

Sizzoink (Sizz-oink)

Sizz (from sizzle and oink) I suppose you could take away a "z" if you wanted it slightly different.

Dracoste
22nd November 2010, 11:17 PM
I'm going to get annoyed if they posted it on the last 23:59 of today of the world.

EnGallade
22nd November 2010, 11:17 PM
Anyone know for sure what the time in American is?
(It's already past 10pm in Scotland/UK)
You'd think they'd update either as early as possible, or at midday.

In New York it's 5:17 ^^

I hope we get the updates soon and also they don't mess up Mijumaru's name :(

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:21 PM
Haha, 5;24 now. (here in VA)

What time is the sites server on? I heard it was one of the timezones near the middle of the US. (Pardon me if there is only one timezone there XD)

SharpedoSteve
22nd November 2010, 11:21 PM
I really like Serplant too, but i'm going to go with my own idea of Flerdeleaf until it's up :P

Porkabu for Pokabu

and no idea for Miju

Krake
22nd November 2010, 11:23 PM
It's 4:21 here in Illinois. I don't know what time the site goes by. I would assume that it goes by one of the coasts, since those have more of those types of offices.

Chris-kun
22nd November 2010, 11:33 PM
it doesn't matter what nintendo names him, smugleaf will always be smugleaf lol

Sponge
22nd November 2010, 11:35 PM
For me I think I want:

Ottide (Mijumaru)
Sizzoink (Pokabu)

Really unsure about grass snake....sharpedosteves flerdeleaf sounds interesting...I'd like that name actually.

It would be interesting if any of these turned out true but I really doubt it. :p

MetalFlygon08
22nd November 2010, 11:36 PM
It's 4:21 here in Illinois. I don't know what time the site goes by. I would assume that it goes by one of the coasts, since those have more of those types of offices.

4:36 in Illinois now, fellow Illini!

The sight's going to wait until 23:59 and bam!

or TrollFreak...

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:40 PM
It better not update at the last second, or anything like that.
That would seriously ruin my day XD

Synn
22nd November 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm getting so bored waiting I'm playing that Turtwig Target Smash Game and Munchlax's Berry Thing xD

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 11:46 PM
They're holding up on updating the site because they want to get more site views. >__>

gpt11
22nd November 2010, 11:48 PM
I hope it updates before the England 11.59pm not the American 11.59pm ive got work tomorrow :( so wont be able to find out till 11am-ish (England time)

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:50 PM
Yup, third time you've said that.

The forums are getting really laggy now.

Crystal_Power
22nd November 2010, 11:52 PM
Yup, third time you've said that.

The forums are getting really laggy now.

Yes, very laggy.

Jagged
22nd November 2010, 11:53 PM
Ok this is getting kinda boring. I'm just refreshing the page for news now D:.

Manafi's Dream
22nd November 2010, 11:55 PM
I really hate how they make us wait until like 10:00 when I won't check back anymore. I'll end up seeing in the morning or tomorrow afternoon. Really hope Mijumaru's name rocks!

lindsy95
22nd November 2010, 11:58 PM
...Snivy. Not bad.
I don't like Tepig, I'll get used to it. I was kinda expecting him to keep pokabu. (or alter it to porkabu)
Oshawott seems... interesting. kinda long.

Not bad overall.

turtwig217
23rd November 2010, 12:01 AM
Snivy. Tepig. Oshawott.
Right all along. Not bad. Hmmm.

Synn
23rd November 2010, 12:01 AM
Where are these names coming from?

s2daam
23rd November 2010, 12:02 AM
So.... we waited for an update on the official site...and it never came??!

TePig.. ok, nothing amazing.
Snivy.. I actually love, its a great name..
Oshawott... I LOVE

Serebii says the official site has updated... no it hasn't :S

lindsy95
23rd November 2010, 12:02 AM
The main site, Serebii, I mean.

Chimchar15
23rd November 2010, 12:03 AM
Not bad but odd. Also the Unova region huh. This is the first ever major region name change. Also I don't see this update on Pokemon.com on my browser. I hate when it's late with updates. Man the forum is about to go bat sh*t crazy over how "the starters original names were better" or "how they have lost all interest in BW now because of the names." Sigh...here we go again.

halloweenghost
isshu has been renamed unova? wow

~Silver Aura~
...Snivy. Not bad.
I don't like Tepig, I'll get used to it. I was kinda expecting him to keep pokabu. (or alter it to porkabu)
Oshawott seems... interesting. kinda long.

Not bad overall.

Are you saying the names are revealed now I see no change in the website yet but if they are they're not half bad. :)

lindsy95
23rd November 2010, 12:04 AM
Unova reigon? sounds odd. The BW site is updated... but my flash is so old it can't load, someone else take a peek?

Unova reminds me of the word 'nova'.

Beeblebrox
23rd November 2010, 12:04 AM
I like Oshawott; a bit obscure and not particularly obvious, but it suits. Snivy was fairly predictable, and Tepig is a bit underwhelming; I reckon the intensity of the flame's description will increase up the evolutions.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 12:05 AM
Dum de dum de dum

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/the-starter-pokemon/

the1stpkmnfan
23rd November 2010, 12:05 AM
Not too bad names, indeed. Glad my guessed named "Snaivy" almost made the cut by 1 word. x3

And the Unova Region for Isshu's English game. Glad we got more than the 3 starters names. ^^

Sponge
23rd November 2010, 12:06 AM
I don't really like Unova.....it'll always be Isshu for me.

Chimchar15
23rd November 2010, 12:06 AM
I was weirded out by Tepig until I found out what Tepid (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tepid) meant. Very clever. If there's one thing I can say about NoA is that they never fail when it comes to naming Pokemon.

lindsy95
23rd November 2010, 12:07 AM
Any idea on how to say Unova?
Yuu-nova, or Un-ova?
-fails-

Does the B/W page have anything else, regarding english names? I assume not.

EnGallade
Oshawott it's not bad but it's not great but i like unique names I like it ^_^

Haunter ゴースト
Hmm for some reason i really like Oshawott, snivy and tepig will take some getting used to...

Chimchar15
23rd November 2010, 12:08 AM
Oh hell yes!!! They are keep the logos very similar tot he Japanese ones!!! Go Nintendo!!!

HookShot
23rd November 2010, 12:08 AM
Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott. Huh, not too bad all in all. Snivy's a nice name, and I'm sure I've heard it thrown around before. It's no Smugleaf or anything, but it's good. Tepig, I'm not sold on yet, but I'll get used to it. Oshawott sounds great and it is definetly a name that I want to know the meaning behind. So yeah, all in all, I like them. Oh and Unova's a nice name, too.

Now we wait for the complaining to start. Oh joy.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 12:10 AM
Other then Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy and Unova the site reconfirms Reshiram and Zekrom and gives them the classifications of Vast White and Deep Black Pokemon respectively, the starter's classifications remain literal translations of the Japanese though.

bippacooleth
Yay names before I went to bed ^^ Okay...

Snivy - I like it. A few people proposed it, I think, and it suits him. How are people pronouncing it though? S-nivy or Sni-vy?

Tepig - Its a strange one. The fact it comes from Tepid, a dull kind of word, is odd for me, due to his bright colour scheme. It seems about right for a starter though. As someone said above, this makes me think that the names will get 'hotter' as it evolves

Oshawott - At first glance, I thought wtf? But looking at it, I like it a lot. It doesn't seem like an English name to me, but its unique and not difficult to pronounce or anything. Just kind of long winded....

And the Unova Region - not really sure on this one. I don't like the 'u' at the beginning, I think, but at least we have our familiar 'o' again :D overall, good going NoA, in my opinion anyway :P

BCVM22
Does the B/W page have anything else, regarding english names? I assume not.

No. Just a brief spin around the newly-renamed Unova region with a few screenshots. The starters and the region name are the sum total of new information for today.

Lee-san
23rd November 2010, 12:11 AM
Hate the names.

lindsy95
I wonder what they'll nmae the evoloutions? Snivy... Snivlord? -shot-

Grei
Snivy I've heard before. Nice.

Tepig... what are the derivatives of that name? It's a nice name, I'm just wondering where the "Te-" comes in.

Oshawott is reeeeally weird. I'm not sure where the "oshaw-" part comes in, but I assume the "-ott" is from "otter" and the "w" in front of "-ott" is for "water." Is it a pun on Ocelot or something...?

Overall I'm not complaining. I'm used to Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru, but I'll get used to Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott soon enough.

Unova region sounds kind of cool. It's strange, though--all of the past regions have had similar English names to their Japanese names. Unova is nothing like Isshu.

xsedr
23rd November 2010, 12:12 AM
Snivy, it's unique but still, it can't compare with Smugleaf/Smuglord. Unless of course Jalorda gets a good english name. Tepig will take some getting used too. As long as Enbuooh turns out to be Emboar I'm good, Oshawott isn't bad.

Mr.Munchlax
23rd November 2010, 12:12 AM
Holy krap! Snivy was my first ever guess for Tsutarja & I was right on the money!!! Though I don't get Tepig & Oshawott, I also don't get how Isshu became the Unova Region

ShinyVaati
23rd November 2010, 12:14 AM
Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott... not bad. Only one I'm kind of "meh" towards is Tepig; that's really the best they could come up with? Take the "d" off "Tepid" and replace it with "g"?

And Unova, I have to say I'm surprised. First time a main region's name has been changed entirely from its Japanese name.

Snivy, you're still my favorite though.

Pyrax
23rd November 2010, 12:15 AM
How'd they get the name "Oshawott"?
I wonder how many people guessed "Snivy"?
-------------

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 12:15 AM
I can live with the Starter name changes, but Unova!!!

Really!? I guess Isshu sounding like Issue so they changed it so there won't be an Isshu....

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 12:16 AM
Unova is alright, I'll definitely get used to it... reminds me of Oblivia though.
Snivy is good. I'm happy with Snivy.
Tepig, ehh, very obscure, I wouldn't have thought many kids would know what tepid means.
Oshawott, it's okay I guess. I'll get used to it, obviously, but Mijumaru was such a cute name, whereas Oshawott is more quirky. I'll nickname him something, so it wont matter too much ^_^

So Snake + Ivy, Tepid + Pig, and... Ocean + Shell + Otter?

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 12:17 AM
Hate the names.

There's the first.

I wonder what they'll nmae the evoloutions? Snivy... Snivlord? -shot-

Remember, the name breaks down as [Sn][ivy], from snake and ivy. That wouldn't seem to indicate they'll keep "Sniv" as part of the evolution names, but who knows.

Tepig... what are the derivatives of that name? It's a nice name, I'm just wondering where the "Te-" comes in.

Tepid, meaning lukewarm, and pig.

Oshawott is reeeeally weird. I'm not sure where the "oshaw-" part comes in

Ocean + water + otter is my best guess.

Will-powered Spriter
23rd November 2010, 12:17 AM
Snivy is a nice fitting name, though I thought it fitted Janobi more. I like how it has not just snake and ivy, but also snide, and maybe snivelly.

Tepig is meh. I associate tepid with water temperature, and it sounds too much like teh pig.

Oshawott is really strange, but I like it. It's pretty onomatopoeiauicantspellthiseauic. Wash, spolt, water, otter...

Unova is not impressive. Another region. How 'drole'.

bippacooleth
23rd November 2010, 12:18 AM
Tepig comes from the word Tepid, definitions of which are shown in an earlier link, and on the main sight. It basically means lukewarm - Tepig as a colder fire as a starter, basic pokemon.

SharpedoSteve
23rd November 2010, 12:23 AM
UNOva, as in the first region of this continent (thats how i see it anyway lol)

Linkdarkside
23rd November 2010, 12:23 AM
Unova region sounds kind of cool. It's strange, though--all of the past regions have had similar English names to their Japanese names. Unova is nothing like Isshu.probably it got renamed because is similar to the english word Issue.

Chimchar15
23rd November 2010, 12:24 AM
I really getting used to Tepig. I just want to know what Osha comes from in Oshawott. Lol people over at Pokebeach are getting pretty worked up over the new names lol. Heh like I said back in September the Japanese release was our Christmas and now we're in the after Christmas part where some people are happy with what they got and some aren't.

LimeStar
C'mon guys, Unova names aren't that bad :DDDDDD

But seriously, how do you think it's pronounced?
You-nova? Like Uxie?
Oo-nova? Like Buuburn?
Uh-Nova? Like Umbreon?

Sabonea_Masukippa
Tepid is reasonably close to the meaning of 'pokapoka' in Pokabu anyway. It's not a particularly warm word, but sort of ... tepid. :P

Beeblebrox
23rd November 2010, 12:26 AM
Ah, Unova Region- matches the original intent for Isshu; it's short for universal.

Those are some nice looking logos there.

Sponge
As for the names....

Snivy - Don't mind this....it's surprising as this one I actually saw suggested by some people.

Tepig - Interesting I don't think anyone thought of this....I suppose nobody was ever going to slap the word "Tepid" on a fire type....but it's a good name I think.

Oshawott - My first impression was "Wott!?" but I think It's a grower even though it's a bit left field and out of the blue.

Unova - Isshu was perfect. :( Unova isn't terrible by any means.....but Isshu why must you leave us?? ;_;

Obviously I'll have to give it all time to sink in...

garfield15
Okay, Snivy is perfect. Seriously, it sounds like a "I'm better than you name." Love

Tepig is meh but I can deal.

Osha-what? You just want people to hate Miju don't you Nintendo? I guess it is pretty out there.

(Why the hell was Isshu renamed? I guess this is killing the "they might keep some names for the anime since most of them are in English" theory)

lindsy95
There's the first.

Remember, the name breaks down as [Sn][ivy], from snake and ivy. That wouldn't seem to indicate they'll keep "Sniv" as part of the evolution names, but who knows.

....ohhh. I thought it was snide+ivy.

I'm kinda sad that they change the reigon name but Unova certanly isn't bad.

I hope its Yuu-nova instead of un-ova.

Yuu-nova sounds cooler X3 but I'll settle for either pronounciation. (sp?)

Tropios
23rd November 2010, 12:27 AM
snivy and tepig: nice names
oshawott: great name!!!!
Unova region: soooo much better than Isshu! it sounds a lot cooler and more... mysterious

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 12:28 AM
probably it got renamed because is similar to the english world Issues.

Yea that's what I said. Not to mention the first Black people appear in the games called Black and White. Having Isshu sound like Issue was just asking for trouble. Maybe...

TeddiUrsa
23rd November 2010, 12:28 AM
For the first time in many years and many Generation I am very happy with the German names, maybe like them just as much as the japanese ones.

Floink especially is just awesome and much better than Tepig. I was hoping that the "dub-name" would keep the oink/bu theme of Pokabu.

Ottaro is funny but not as good as Mijumaru, but at least MUCH better than Oshawott.

Snivy, Serpifeu and Tsutarja are all equally good to me too.
I mostly use the japanese names if I remember them from the top of my head, otherwise I'll use the english ones here, but I am really tempted to start using the German names only. :p

Sponge
23rd November 2010, 12:29 AM
....ohhh. I thought it was snide+ivy.

I'm kinda sad that they change the reigon name but Unova certanly isn't bad.

I hope its Yuu-nova instead of un-ova.

Yuu-nova sounds cooler X3 but I'll settle for either pronounciation. (sp?)

I hope it's Yuu-nova too....but tbh regardless that's how I'll pronounce it.

Un-ova is just going to make me think of the Uno board game.

Maybe they changed Isshu cause they thought we'd start mixing up the word Issue with Isshu? Isshu isn't a hard word to say at all so it can't be that.

Cotton
23rd November 2010, 12:31 AM
This update finally made me want to post. ; 3 ;
Oshawott = Ocean + Water + Otter.

Chimchar15
23rd November 2010, 12:31 AM
Unova is alright, I'll definitely get used to it... reminds me of Oblivia though.
Snivy is good. I'm happy with Snivy.
Tepig, ehh, very obscure, I wouldn't have thought many kids would know what tepid means.
Oshawott, it's okay I guess. I'll get used to it, obviously, but Mijumaru was such a cute name, whereas Oshawott is more quirky. I'll nickname him something, so it wont matter too much ^_^

So Snake + Ivy, Tepid + Pig, and... Ocean + Shell + Otter?

Lol same here. Anyone else find it funny the the past four region names were barely changed from their Japanese forms(or stayed the same in Kanto's case) because they were sort of difficult to pronounce in English. Yet we have a region name that can be pronounced pretty easily in English and it is the first name to become completely changed. I don't have a problem with it I just find it funny.

Linkdarkside
23rd November 2010, 12:32 AM
well acording to Poke beach this is Unova meaning (Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New")

s2daam
23rd November 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm actually loving Snivy now, just for the name, Oshawatt still love... but... TePig? Seriously? Eh it will grow on me..

nikohesus
23rd November 2010, 12:33 AM
I came here to bathe in the hate, and I'm having a pretty good bath.

Snivy- Great, I can't think of anything better

Tepig- I thought of this as tapir+tepid+pig, the tepid part indicating that it is lukewarm as a first evolution but will grow hotter, perhaps a hint towards the other names?

Oshawott- Wow, definitely creative. Much better than anything else I could have though of.

Unova- I though of this as UNiversal, but as an above poster said it could be UNOva being as it is the Kanto of this generation. I prefer to pronounce it You-nova.

I don't mind these names at all, at least I know that they're still updating.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 12:34 AM
I'm pretty sure it's Unova, pronounced Oo-Nova, because Isshu, comes from Isshurai, meaning One Variety.
Uno is Spanish and Italian for One, and Va is short for Variety, therefore, Uno+Va=
Unova :D

lindsy95
23rd November 2010, 12:34 AM
Yea that's what I said. Not to mention the first Black people appear in the games called Black and White. Having Isshu sound like Issue was just asking for trouble. Maybe...

LOL, I doubt it.

Probabl just sounding like issue. Unova is cooler :p

Misty Lover17
23rd November 2010, 12:37 AM
Well, the new names are really great, though Tepig is meh.

I do think that Oshawott is surprising, plus everyone will talk a lot about this name, so I'm happy with this.

Grei
Tepid, meaning lukewarm, and pig.

Ocean + water + otter is my best guess.

Ah, ok then. That makes sense... I think I like Oshawott the least, though.
Which matters little to me. It'll be nicknamed Blue and will be evolving to Futachimaru or Daikenki regardless, so these names aren't too big of a deal.

As for Unova... I hope it's "Yoo-NO-vah" and not "Ooh-NO-vah." Pronouncing it like the latter is a bit more awkward than the former pronunciation. Plus, the former sounds closer to the word "universal."

Dr. Leggs
I love Snivy for the fitting of lots of different words into one (Snake/Snide/Snivel + Ivy). Perfectly fine with it.

Tepig sure is an interesting one, and one that fits well, so I'm cool with it too. So much better than "Pignite". Even if the pun doesn't carry over.

Oshawott... Not sure what to think yet. I feel like it's not an easy Pokemon to come up with a great name for, but Oshawott is both not at all what I was thinking and not a terrible name. I think I'll warm up to it soon.

Unova is (according to PokeBeach) likely a combination of the Latin words Unum and Nova, meaning 'One New'. While very different from Isshu, I think the name fits the region perfectly. Not to mention, as the region is based off of America, it makes sense for them to change it to a much more Western-sounding name.

You're doing fine by me so far, NoA. Keep up the good work. ^_^

Mr. Joker
23rd November 2010, 12:46 AM
It will take me a while to get used to the nicknames, I think I am going to keep my nicknames anyway. Emblit, Smugleaf, and Wotter, haha.

halloweenghost
23rd November 2010, 12:47 AM
I hope it's Yuu-nova too....but tbh regardless that's how I'll pronounce it.

Un-ova is just going to make me think of the Uno board game.

Maybe they changed Isshu cause they thought we'd start mixing up the word Issue with Isshu? Isshu isn't a hard word to say at all so it can't be that.
it is more liekly Uno sounding since uno is one and Unova Region (Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New")

Rentaline99
23rd November 2010, 12:48 AM
Huh.
United States of America -> UnofA -> Unova... Nah, couldn't be.

Teh pig, eh?

Grei
My God, Pokebeach is, like, the exact opposite of here. Most of the people here are more on the positive side, while everyone over there is complaining. -_-;

The only thing I can really complain about is how they changed Reshiram to the Vast White Pokemon and Zekrom to the Deep Black Pokemon. Their concept was Yin and Yang, and that's not a foreign concept to Americans. Why they were changed is beyond me.

... unless it was to avoid people possibly thinking Zekrom was a "bad guy" or something, since we tend to think of Yin and Yang as Good and Evil over here in the states... hmm...

Sponge
I think my favourite starter name is Oshawott, mostly because it's a bit out there and probably the biggest surprise of all.

It's a good thing I'm picking Oshawott then. :p

I like Snivy too, it's a good name.

Crystal_Power
LOL, I doubt it.

Probabl just sounding like issue. Unova is cooler :p

Yea I know Isshu sounded like Issue.
But Hoenn sound like Ho-- well you know. >__>

I don't get why they changed it.
At this rate I won't be surprised if they name Iris Shaniqua....

garfield15
23rd November 2010, 12:49 AM
Oshawott... Not sure what to think yet. I feel like it's not an easy Pokemon to come up with a great name for, but Oshawott is both not at all what I was thinking and not a terrible name. I think I'll warm up to it soon.
Meh. I was good with "Wotter." Now I'm wondering what his later Stage names are. (Oshareck? Oshellperor?)

Some have speculated that Unova is an anagram of United States OF America due to Isshu's location. I think that's a little too coincidental but not that crazy.

Gaiash
23rd November 2010, 12:49 AM
I like Mijumaru's German name better. Ottaro. I think I'll stick with Mijumaru, easier to say and type plus it sounds cuter. Snivy works, I'll use both that name and Smugleaf. Tepig is odd but sounds alright so I'll use that name.

s2daam
23rd November 2010, 12:51 AM
For once..... people can actually agree that NoA has done a good job for the most part :D

realarcastform
23rd November 2010, 12:53 AM
My Tsutaja became Snivy ok that's interesting.
But the starter I'm choosing in my English version is Tepig?
Ok..
Oshawott is Ash's first starter.. How odd. But he is a peculiar water type so it can work.
They have a piece of "wotter" in there so some will be pleased.

R_N
23rd November 2010, 12:53 AM
Snivy is cool. It was one of the more popular real names floating about, iirc. It's also the same pun as in Japanese, so that's neat.

Tepig is fantastic, I'm surprised no one thought of it.

Oshawott is...interesting. I don't hate it, but it's kind of weird, huh? Osha being a corruption of ocean would make sense. And ott for otter. But OshaWOTT makes me think of electricity. Eh still a neat name

I'm surprised the dragons didn't keep the Black Yin and White Yang but that's fine with me because VAST WHITE and DEEP BLACK are cool and absolutely no one cares about the classifications of anything.

SharpedoSteve
23rd November 2010, 12:54 AM
Yay, seems like i got the region name meaning right without looking at Pokebeach XD

right on to the starter names...
Snivy: I like it :D fit's it well and it's easy to remember.
Tepig: Wasn't sure at first tbh, but now i would say i really really like it (best starter name imo) still wont use the lil dude though... don't like his evo's.
Oshawott: I like it, but it's a bit hard to remember lol i have to keep looking to make sure what i'm writing is correct... won't take long to get used to it though :)

So basically.... YAY for new names!

GolemGuy
These names are absolutely horrible except for Oshawatt.

There is absolutely nothing else to say on this matter, other than I am nicknaming my Tsutarja SMUGLEAF.

Lorde
Snivy works pretty great since I still think about it being "smug". Tepig is just...I don't know, sort of out there. Oshawott looks to be the oddest name for a Pokemon so far and I've no idea what it's based on except the last part. I think I'll keep calling the Isshu Unova Region Starters by their Japanese names until next year.

Jagged
23rd November 2010, 12:55 AM
I don't get why they changed it.

LOL, Shaniqua :P But let's hope they don't do anything like that. The names, IMO, are alright and already I'm hearing flamers going off about "OMG these names are so stoopid. I'm gonna boycot B/W because of this nao!!1!1"

yeminied
23rd November 2010, 12:55 AM
So now we have them.

I can't say I'm upset with the names but they are nothing to write home about.

Oshawott is an interesting one but I think it comes from Shore, referencing the ocean. That's the best I can come up with.

Tepig is by no means great but they could have done a lot worse.

Snivy, I'm not sure if I like it or hate it, we'll see. I just don't see Tsutarja saying it in the anim&#233;.

Unova is a surprise but not bad in my opinion.

Overall I'm happy with the four new names. They aren't the best, I will admit that, but they aren't bad names. Good enough for the poster boys for Gen V

Linkdarkside
23rd November 2010, 12:57 AM
of the tree name this are my favorites

1.Tepig
2.Snivy
3.Oshawott

A_Merry_Snowrunt
23rd November 2010, 12:58 AM
I wonder how the dub will say the names? Osha os.....wott wott!

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy269/NS2J82/1290469358264.png

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 12:58 AM
LOL, Shaniqua :P But let's hope they don't do anything like that. The names, IMO, are alright and already I'm hearing flamers going off about "OMG these names are so stoopid. I'm gonna boycot B/W because of this nao!!1!1"

I actually find the starter names okay. :)
Its just Unova, it was like a tradition that was broken.

Maybe I just need to get used to it. I wouldn't boycott the game though lol.

Raikou_fan
23rd November 2010, 12:59 AM
I kind of have mixed feelings about all the new names..

Snivy: Not bad, but not good either. It'll probably grow on me later, but as of right now I liked Smugleaf better. I'm kinda anxious to see what its evos will be..

Tepig: This a awful. Absolutely awful. I all ready disliked this line for ending in another fire/fighting starter, but atleast the names were good before.... It's cute, and to me Tepig sounds like something kinda ugly. I may come to accept it later on, but I don't think I'll ever like it. Hopefully its evos are better, but if not I'll never use one without a good nickname..

Oshawott: I actually love this. It's creative, and to me it's fitting. It'll take me some time to remember how to spell it, but that's OK. I'm really excited to see what its evos will be called.

Unova: Not what I expected. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it. I guess I probly just got too used to Isshu. I think it'll probly grow on me the more I see it..

LOL

Vernikova
23rd November 2010, 12:59 AM
I'm not bothered by the names in a single way. For the most part, I'm trying to get the pronunciation down but that doesn't seem too difficult other than Oshawott. The region's name doesn't bother me at all either. The official names are certainly leagues better than all of those fan names that have been going around like "Smugleaf" or "Wotter" though so I'm not complaining.

R_N
23rd November 2010, 1:01 AM
WAIT

OH

MY

GOD

THEY CHANGED IT UNOVA

this is the happiest I've ever been over a name change ;-;

halloweenghost
23rd November 2010, 1:01 AM
I'm not bothered by the names in a single way. For the most part, I'm trying to get the pronunciation down but that doesn't seem too difficult other than Oshawott. The region's name doesn't bother me at all either. The official names are certainly leagues better than all of those fan names that have been going around like "Smugleaf" or "Wotter" though so I'm not complaining.

I agree with you so much :)

Lorde
23rd November 2010, 1:02 AM
I didn't even know what tepid meant until recently, so I would have never come up with it lol. Tepid apparently means only slightly warm or lukewarm. Tepig is a better English name for Pokabu than say, Lukepig, so I can't complain much even if it is a little out there. It almost seems like the translators tried to come up with names that nobody would ever guess. Well, anything is better that Pignite really.

Jagged
How do you think SNIVY will be pronounced in the anime? Like sniv-ee, or snivy like how you would say IVY but with sn at the front?

Luxrayess
Funny thing is, Snivy was one of my own predictions for Tsutarja's English name. Made a week or two ago.

:D

Tepig... I guess that's okay. It'll take awhile before it grows on me, though.

Oshawott?
...Hee, hee, hee! I sense an internet meme comming on. XD

Mr.Munchlax
I think the reason why they came up with Oshawott is because Mijumaru's name is so long they need it for the dub. I have to admit, it's nice to get a starter whose name is more than two syllables again

redroses
23rd November 2010, 1:04 AM
I really like the names, especially Snivy sounds very nice. Oshawott is very interesting and unique. Tepig, although nice, is going to take me some time getting used to, as sadly there is a german word "Teppich" that sounds VERY similiar to that and means rug. I have to automatically think of that XD

Eivui
My opinions:

Snivy: I like this, and it seems fitting for such a smug pokemon. It sounds appropriate.

Tepig: I'm not a huge fan of this name, but I don't hate it. I like the idea that someone mentioned, that it starts of lukewarm and becomess hotter as it evolves.

Oshawott: This is a neat name. I didn't expect it at all, but like someone else said, it definitely seems to be based off of ocean+shell+water/otter.

Unova: I don't really know what to say about this. It's alright, nothing exceptional, nothing terrible. I think that Issu was a pretty good name, regardless of its base.

Hejiru
Wow, so they finally updated!

Snivy is good. Snake and ivy, plus it sounds like snide. I still hope it keeps the nickname Smugleaf though among the fanbase.

Tepig.... eh. I knew as soon as I saw the name it was tepid and pig. Kinda meh, but it could be worse.

Oshawott is.... unique. Definately not what I was expecting. It's not a bad name, but I have no idea were they came up with that.

I don't like the name Unova. Reminds me of Oblivia for some reason. If you ask me, they should've stuck with Isshu. It sounds much...

BETTERU

garfield15
23rd November 2010, 1:06 AM
Oh my god...

Osha...watt...

Ocean...Water.

IT MAKES SENSE XD

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 1:11 AM
I wonder how the dub will say the names? Osha os.....wott wott!

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy269/NS2J82/1290469358264.png

Well, considering Mijumaru only says Miju, I hope that they only get Oshawott to say Osha. Wott would sound ridiculous.

james2791
23rd November 2010, 1:11 AM
The names aren't that bad I guess... Snivy and Oshawott being the obvious 'accepted' names so far by the majority of us. Tepig, unless you contemplate the word 'tepid' doesn't make good sense, but it works in the end.
Were going to (slowly) get more English names for the other Unova exclusive 'mon, town names, people etc till next spring, so I'm expecting to see alot more discussion down the track.

Honestly though, I'll be calling them by their Japanese alternatives for the time being :D

SharpedoSteve
23rd November 2010, 1:14 AM
Some people over at Pokebeach seem to think that:

Oshawott could be a combination of Otter and Oshawa, a city on the shore of lake Ontario.

Which is quite clever if thats the case.

lindsy95
23rd November 2010, 1:19 AM
True.

Haha, pokebeach is full of whiners, its not that bad here.

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 1:22 AM
Tepig sounds like Da Pig! If you know what I mean. XD

Rikudo Sennin
23rd November 2010, 1:23 AM
I LOVE the name Oshawott. It sounds really original and really stands out as a pokemon-ish name (please don't hate on what makes or doesn't make a pokemon-ish name)

As for Snivy it's very fitting but not as original in my opinion, but still very good. It would be my favorite if mijumaru wasn't the coolest thing ever lol

And like most people here I guess Tepig is just alright. It's not horrible by any means, I would have liked some sort of oink in there though, as the next evolutions will more than likely not have it in it, they're a lot rougher-looking (though i guess this is why they went with temperature, we can expect them words to get "hotter" since it's dealing with temperature)

Overall i'm very satisfied with the names, even Unova region sounds really cool. Can't wait for this to be out in english!

Silver_Seoul
23rd November 2010, 1:24 AM
Someone said Unova could be similar to "United (UN) States of (OV) America (A) --> Unova."

That's pretty logical; to me, anyway.

Anywho, I actually like all three names.

Umbreon9
23rd November 2010, 1:25 AM
-.- These names aren't HORRIBLE.
Besides, these are just names.They're also way better than the fan names. WOTTER? Uh, no thanks. (Just my opinion)
But, I don't love the names.
-Snivy: Sure, that works, makes sense. Don't love the name, but it's fine.
-Tepig: Eh, not a great name, but I'll definitely get used to it.
-Oshawott: Whoa. Did not see that coming. Well, Idk about this one, but I'll give it a chance. (Besides, it still beats Wotter, in my opinion)
-Unova: Didn't think they'd change it that much. I liked Isshu, but I'm just going to have to get used to this, too.

Some people were jumping for joy at these names, some people hated them, the rest just looked at them and thought they were fine. I'm one of the people who belong in the last group. (If you disagree with any of my personal opinions, you're just different from me. Please just move on.)

Grei
23rd November 2010, 1:26 AM
True.

Haha, pokebeach is full of whiners, its not that bad here.

Seriously. It's a vat of negative fandumb over there. I'm actually somewhat proud of Sppf. :') So far, anyway.

All three names have already grown on me. Snivy is probably the only one I'm not entirely crazy about, although it does fit. Oshawott is cool-sounding and Tepig is actually cute if you think about it.

I'm hoping Emboar stays, but it's the only name I can actually see staying unchanged. I'm anxious to hear what Futachimaru, Daikenki, and Jalorda will be.

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 1:29 AM
Someone said Unova could be similar to "United (UN) States of (OV) America (A) --> Unova."

That's pretty logical; to me, anyway.

Anywho, I actually like all three names.

OMG, you're right.
It sounds logical to me too.