PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 1:29 AM
Someone said Unova could be similar to "United (UN) States of (OV) America (A) --> Unova."

That's pretty logical; to me, anyway.

That's possible, but the Latin portmanteau that mirrors the etymology of "Isshu" makes more sense. "Unum" (one) + "Nova" (new) or simply Uno (one) + "-va" from variety. Appropriately, "Isshu" comes from the Japanese for "one variety".

So far, anyway.

Give it time.

joxxmarie
23rd November 2010, 1:32 AM
Unova makes sense.

Un - the first from that particular area.
Nova - could reference how it's 'new' and 'bright' compared to the previous regions. Technology is supposed to be more advanced.

I actually really like it compared to Isshu. It seems like children in America would have an easier time pronouncing it without that funny little mistake taking place.

I personally love how Nintendo always manages to have the best plays on words. They never really repeat, and they can be interpretted in so many different ways.

I can't wait to hear Ash say 'Oshawott'. It's such a cute tongue twister <3
Tepig is such a pleasent surprise since all I could ever come up with was 'Bacon' or 'Hothog', though I keep seeing it as TehPig ;D
Snivy just makes me smile. It makes me think of 'Smugleaf', though was changed enough so that the arguments I've heard against it aren't valid.

As for Iris, I'd really like to have her name stay the same. I mean, it's considered a name in English and it suits her and all of that hair that she has (I presonally die laughing whenever her pokemon jumps into it, makes we wonder what else she can fit up there O.o). Though if it was changed, I'd hope it would be pretty close. Like maybe "Isis".

SharpedoSteve
23rd November 2010, 1:33 AM
Just a small note for anyone who is actually ****** at the names of the starters, you won't have them in you're team for that long, so be worried for their evo's names :P

Or yeah just nickname them.

Blitz Lucario
23rd November 2010, 1:42 AM
I don't know about the english names of the starters but its to early to tell what the names of the other new Pokemon will be.

rickdatduck
23rd November 2010, 1:46 AM
Tepig and Snivy basically have the same pun as their Japanese names.

Silver_Seoul
23rd November 2010, 1:48 AM
That's possible, but the Latin portmanteau that mirrors the etymology of "Isshu" makes more sense. "Unum" (one) + "Nova" (new) or simply Uno (one) + "-va" from variety. Appropriately, "Isshu" comes from the Japanese for "one variety".

True. Being the ever-so-clever dogs they are it could very well be a double reference. No clue how they work though, when I look at Oshawott. I mean, I'm quite content with all three names but... they went out of the park and to the other side of the city, with that one.

Linkdarkside
23rd November 2010, 1:51 AM
i wonder if we will have to wait to next year to lean some of the others pokemon names.

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 1:58 AM
I was hoping Oshawott would have a more cute name like Mijumaru cuz in the anime I just love Mijumaru's cute voice. They just have to find the right voice actress to keep Oshawott in my good graces. At first, when I saw Tepig, I was like, "WTH?", but now that I see the origin of the name I like it. Snivy is okay, but I was hoping for something a little more clever.

The winner of the best name goes to Oshawott! Still a very cute name in my opinion.

Shneak
23rd November 2010, 1:58 AM
Ugh.

Snivy. Sounds so weird.

Tepig. They could have done better.

Oshawott. Seriously?

Grei
23rd November 2010, 2:06 AM
Wow. The initial reactions in the Anime Spoilers section (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=11783281) are so very different from the ones in this section...

How strange. We all belong to the same forum, don't we?

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 2:14 AM
Just throwing this out here, but Oshawott sounds a lot like Ottawa, wash, and otter combinde. Ottawa would make sense since it's the capital of Canada and sea otters do make their homes in the west coast of Canada among other places.

darkgamerGS
23rd November 2010, 2:14 AM
Congrats, NoA, you kept up the tradition of every region having an O in the name.

Tepig... nice pun, and nice timing considering the US holiday coming up... "pass Tepig." (Shaddup, I know nobody eats pig on Thanksgiving.)
Oshawott's kinda... catchy and iffy at the same time...
Snivy? Snivy?

http://www.megamink.co.uk/STH.Cast.STH2.Snively.jpg

The resemblance in both name and facial features are astonishing.

Shneak
23rd November 2010, 2:21 AM
Just throwing this out here, but Oshawott sounds a lot like Ottawa, wash, and otter combinde. Ottawa would make sense since it's the capital of Canada and sea otters do make their homes in the west coast of Canada among other places.

But...Canada isn't the USA.

D=

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 2:25 AM
Congrats, NoA, you kept up the tradition of every region having an O in the name.

Tepig... nice pun, and nice timing considering the US holiday coming up... "pass Tepig." (Shaddup, I know nobody eats pig on Thanksgiving.)
Oshawott's kinda... catchy and iffy at the same time...
Snivy? Snivy?

http://www.megamink.co.uk/STH.Cast.STH2.Snively.jpg

The resemblance in both name and facial features are astonishing.

Actually, people eat ham at Thanksgiving. Clearly, you don't celebrate it, then. And I'm sure Tepig doesn't appreciate your comments. :p

I have definitely seen that somewhere before, but the resemblances are coincidential. You're only making things seem like they have a direct relation, which they don't.

LexSuicune
23rd November 2010, 2:27 AM
omg... Mijumaru's name is even WORSE than I could've ever imagined...

I would've settled for even Wotter but Oshawtf?

Crystal_Power
23rd November 2010, 2:29 AM
How do you even pronounce Oshawhat? I mean Oshawott...

Chaos Rush
23rd November 2010, 2:31 AM
The starter names are hilarious. Not really "bad" like Abomasnow and Krabby, but just weird. Snivy is fine, but Tepig made me go, "O_o", and Oshawott is just... wow, that name is just so random...

Off-topic: I'm glad they changed the region name because no one can pronounce it right (everyone probably thinks it's pronounced like the word "issue"). And why are they STILL using that kiddy, un-epic blue/yellow logo? In Japan, the Pokemon logo changes every two generations (Gen I & II shared a logo, while Gen III used a new logo that was re-used again in Gen IV, and B/W show a new logo that will probably be used again in Gen VI). This is just my opinion, but the japanese logos look far more cooler than the international ones.

noobers
23rd November 2010, 2:32 AM
My reaction to the new names?

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Charizard_knocks_over_his_wii.png

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 2:33 AM
But...Canada isn't the USA.

D=

Well, the USA isn't Japan. Yet, so much of this region is based off the USA, and these games are primarily Japanese. That was such a stupid comment that I can't even tell you how stupid it was.

darkgamerGS
23rd November 2010, 2:37 AM
Actually, people eat ham at Thanksgiving. Clearly, you don't celebrate it, then. And I'm sure Tepig doesn't appreciate your comments. :p

It doesn't appreciate that I don't eat ham? (And nobody I know eats ham during Thanksgiving, so... my bad.)

I have definitely seen that somewhere before, but the resemblances are coincidential. You're only making things seem like they have a direct relation, which they don't.

Snively from the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (SatAM.) Similar spelling in the name (But different pronounciation,) similar facial features... I know it wasn't intentional, it's just coincidence, and the first thing to come to mind when I saw Snivy.

matt0044
23rd November 2010, 2:40 AM
And guess what!

Zekrom and Reshiram keep their Japanese names!

YAY!

Mr. Joker
23rd November 2010, 2:43 AM
And guess what!

YAY!

We knew that last spring :/

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 2:46 AM
That was such a stupid comment that I can't even tell you how stupid it was.

Almost as bad as your Canadian etymology suggestion?

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And why are they STILL using that kiddy, un-epic blue/yellow logo? In Japan, the Pokemon logo changes every two generations (Gen I & II shared a logo, while Gen III used a new logo that was re-used again in Gen IV, and B/W show a new logo that will probably be used again in Gen VI).

Disregarding how mind-blowingly nitpicky you have to be to complain about the logo, and even worse, complaining that the logo is what marks the franchise as kiddy, the games have used a katakana wordmark since the very beginning that has largely gone unchanged in form and size. It simply gets recolored for each game, which makes sense.

Seriously, you're not actually complaining about the wordmark logo, are you?

Which was made official months ago.

noobers
23rd November 2010, 2:46 AM
Solid Snivy:
http://i54.*******.com/2uik86e.jpg

Revolver Oshawott:
http://i55.*******.com/2s966nc.jpg

Grei
23rd November 2010, 2:48 AM
And guess what!

YAY!

But not their Japanese classifications!

I don't like that. I mean, ultimately, I don't care, but there isn't really much reason to change them from the Black Yin and White Yang Pokemon to the Deep Black and Vast White Pokemon.

Epwna is a Sceptile
23rd November 2010, 2:51 AM
Well, I like the names, but I'm still nicknaming Tepig Flarrow.

SmartD
23rd November 2010, 3:32 AM
Finally, the english names for the starters have been revealed. Snivy sounds better than Smugleaf, Tepig is a good name, Oshawott sounds odd, but I can get use to it. Overall, these are great names.

Rainbowdashtheawesome
23rd November 2010, 3:32 AM

And they should always make sure to put the bathrooms in the basement.

I'm gonna be frank here: I HATE the new names; the first one is too simple and sounds more like an adjective than a name, the second one I don't get because I don't know how the word "tepid" relates to him, and I haven't the foggiest idea what the last one is supposed to mean.
Sorry to be so blunt and I know I'll regret having said this once I get used to the names, but for now I can't stand them.

Grei
23rd November 2010, 3:35 AM
Is there a list somewhere with all of the names for the starters in each language?

Dr. Leggs
23rd November 2010, 3:45 AM
celebitrainer; tepid means warm. Tepig is the fire starter. Warm + pig. How does it not relate to him?

abraxas
23rd November 2010, 3:46 AM
Snivy is the only name I am ok with. Mijumaru and Pokabu, to me, sound better than Oshawott and Tepig. Never have I cared about the English names until now, but, hey, it's all good. Besides, I can always nickname them. =P

Seraphen
23rd November 2010, 3:46 AM
Pokabu was already the most hated Gen V starter. Now this Tepig. *feels sorry for it*

Snivy... Hm, I like it. It carries the same pun that Tsutarja was based upon. Also fits it a lot, IMO.

Am I the only one to whom Oshawott looked like a japanese word at first glance (until I noticed the 'wott' part)?

Unova sounds like something related to the space (probably because of the 'nova' part). But nice, nevertheless.

Ash: "I'm gonna win the Unova league!"

Sounds kinda awkward...

Owle Isohos
23rd November 2010, 3:48 AM
Does no one else see the other pun in Snivy?

"Snide" + "Ivy"...I love it.

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 3:51 AM
Almost as bad as your Canadian etymology suggestion?

Disregarding how mind-blowingly nitpicky you have to be to complain about the logo, and even worse, complaining that the logo is what marks the franchise as kiddy, the games have used a katakana wordmark since the very beginning that has largely gone unchanged in form and size. It simply gets recolored for each game, which makes sense.

Seriously, you're not actually complaining about the wordmark logo, are you?

Which was made official months ago.

Okay, I've had enough of you for a long time. Seriously, stop going around like you own the place. It's not your website, so you don't have the right to criticize everyone who posts. I've never seen you comment before without criticizing someone else. I'll be utterly shocked if you have.

And my Canadian etymology suggestion actually made sense, unlike their comment. "But, Canada isn't the USA..." Well duh Canada isn't the USA! I was simply throwing out a theory toward Oshawott's name. This was never your conversation to get involved in anyways. I'm sorry hol123 if I offended you. Not to you, though BCVM22. Clearly you have something stuck up in your crotch that's been there for years, and I'd hate to be the one to get it out. And I know this seems like a lot to say over that little, but it's about time somebody told you off.

And if you're going to comment in this thread, then why don't you actually discuss the new Pokemon instead of throwing around criticism? Clearly you need to look in a mirror because there's somebody staring right back at you ready for a world of smartbutt comments to be thrown at them.

Electric
23rd November 2010, 4:00 AM
Is there a list somewhere with all of the names for the starters in each language?

You can just go here: http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/ and where it says to select your region, just select whatever country the language you want has.

In Spanish, the new region is called Teseila which seems nice.

Lord Ike
23rd November 2010, 4:03 AM
Well, I like Snivy.

I'm sad it's Tepig instead of Porkob.

As for Oshawott...wtf?

American--Pi
23rd November 2010, 4:04 AM
"Snivy," "Tepig," and "Oshawatt"..............

"Snivy" sounds like a nickname you'd give to a mean person! Not a good name to give to a Grass type, which tend to docile and gentle but pretty cool.

"Tepig" just sounds stupid. And I don't even know what "tepid" means.

And "Oshawatt"... it sound lame. It makes no sense at all, but I do think its name comes from the city "Ottawa", just like Manafi's Dream. But still, I think Tepig's name is the best, even though it sounds stupid.

Wallaroo42
23rd November 2010, 4:12 AM
Oshawott... I can't stop thinking ocelot XDD

I like Floink and Ottaro better. Die starter-pokemon! Snivy is pretty neat though

Umbreon9
23rd November 2010, 4:13 AM
lol Every time I try to say Tepig I always try to say Tempig instead. To me, Tempig makes more sense then Tepig... But, then again, if its name was Tempig, what would it say in the anime? Temp? Pig? :/ Also, whoeve

Wallaroo42
23rd November 2010, 4:14 AM
woah... now tepig just makes me think teh pig

that's not getting out of my head anytime soon XD

Grei
23rd November 2010, 4:15 AM
So...

Japanese:
Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru.

English:
Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.

German:
Serpifeu, Floink, and Ottaro.

French:
Vipélierre, Gruikui, and Moustillon.

I like Tsutarja's French name and Mijumaru's and Pokabu's German names.

Now I'm torn on whether I should nickname them based on color or on their names in other languages... Ottaro is awesome. The more I read the other language's names, the less appealing the English ones sound. Although I could guess why that is.

MetalFlygon08
23rd November 2010, 4:17 AM
For people complaining about not knowinghat Tepid means, it means warm.

teamrocketspy621
23rd November 2010, 4:17 AM
Snivy was a fan name, so people have been calling it that for a while (almost wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the localization team stumbled upon that name and decided it was good as an official name). I wasn't too fond of it, but I myself couldn't come up with anything better, and it's a whole lot better than if it were actually named "Smugleaf." If I go on Wi-fi and find, somehow, that someone's nicknamed their Snivy "Smugleaf," though, I will be quite disappoint [sic].

I've never been too skeptical of English names (I did question names like Lickilicky and Gallade), but nicknaming my future Tepig "Pignite" might be one of the few times that I'll nickname a Pokemon with a name I was really banking on. Last time I did that was when I nicknamed a Rotom "Pulsma." Tepig isn't bad, but I'm still a little miffed regardless, just because Pignite was such a good name. :\

Oshawott... now that's one I didn't see coming... and can't decipher. If the "Osha" part really comes from the pronunciation of "ocean," like I'm theorizing, though...

Manafi's Dream
23rd November 2010, 4:19 AM
"Snivy," "Tepig," and "Oshawatt"..............

"Snivy" sounds like a nickname you'd give to a mean person! Not a good name to give to a Grass type, which tend to docile and gentle but pretty cool.

"Tepig" just sounds stupid. And I don't even know what "tepid" means.

And "Oshawatt"... it sound lame. It makes no sense at all, but I do think its name comes from the city "Ottawa", just like Manafi's Dream. But still, I think Tepig's name is the best, even though it sounds stupid.

If this were Facebook, I'd like this! haha

Tepid means lukewarm. I don't think it's very appropraite for Tepig because he seems like a much hotter Pokemon than lukewarm.

And Snivy does sound like that now that you mention it.

Umbreon9
23rd November 2010, 4:28 AM
Snivy was a fan name, so people have been calling it that for a while (almost wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the localization team stumbled upon that name and decided it was good as an official name). I wasn't too fond of it, but I myself couldn't come up with anything better, and it's a whole lot better than if it were actually named "Smugleaf." If I go on Wi-fi and find, somehow, that someone's nicknamed their Snivy "Smugleaf," though, I will be quite disappoint [sic].

I've never been too skeptical of English names (I did question names like Lickilicky and Gallade), but nicknaming my future Tepig "Pignite" might be one of the few times that I'll nickname a Pokemon with a name I was really banking on. Last time I did that was when I nicknamed a Rotom "Pulsma." Tepig isn't bad, but I'm still a little miffed regardless, just because Pignite was such a good name. :\

Oshawott... now that's one I didn't see coming... and can't decipher. If the "Osha" part really comes from the pronunciation of "ocean," like I'm theorizing, though...
To Pignite all people within our nation! (Sorry, couldn't resist... I think I'm becoming like TR... :/)
Yeah, I don't love Te(m)pig. (I always want to say Tempig... I'll have to get over that) Well, I love the Pokemon itself, just not a huge fan of the name.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 4:29 AM
Just because people ragging on Lickylicky's name makes my eyes bleed (not that the post above was that bad), it's name in Japanese means the exact same thing. It might actually be worse because it's more of an onomatopoeia for the sound of licking something. And Seel, Golem and Onyx would like a word with people about the worst Pokemon names.

Anyway, the names are good. Oshawott was a bit hard to deduce, but Ocean + Water + Otter makes good enough sense and considering common fan names for it were Shellmet, Shellmurai and Wotter they did a pretty good job of finding a good one. Almost every guessed Snivy and Tepig is cool and simple, although since tepid isn't that common a word it might go over people's heads (already seen here and on other forums).

People are going to fan rage no matter what the names are (I'm going to nickname mine Mijumaru and eff anyone who doesn't understand their real names when I use the Japanese names on forums! NoA has ruined Unova forevaaar) but it'll get better over time.

EDIT: Pokabu = pokapoka onomatopoeia for a warm feeling, like body heat + bu from buta "pig". Like Tsutarja, NoA have just translated the name meaning into English. It suits him plenty.

PokeAJ
23rd November 2010, 4:29 AM
Just yikes at the english names. And I like the english names of pretty much all the previous starters, but these are just bad. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come as far as the name translations go. And no way I'll ever call smugleaf anything other than that. Still think they should have just named it that for the english name.

pokeguru
23rd November 2010, 4:30 AM
I had a feeling Tsutarja would be known as Snivy in the US. I'm going with Snivy as my starter.

I dunno what the devil's wrong with Tepig. Sounds okay to me for Pokabu.

As for Oshawott, I dunno what that means, but hopefully somebody will figure it out.

Corroded Arceus
23rd November 2010, 4:36 AM
I'm kinda neutral about the new names. They seemed kinda odd at first, but now I know what they mean it's not so bad. It's just a name anyway, so I don't get why it has to be such a big deal. If you don't like the name, just nickname your pokemon something else.

PokeAJ
23rd November 2010, 4:36 AM
As for Oshawott, I dunno what that means, but hopefully somebody will figure it out.
Well it sounds like something you'd buy at OshKosh B Gosh.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 4:37 AM
Pokabu = pokapoka onomatopoeia for a warm feeling, like body heat + bu from buta "pig". Like Tsutarja, NoA have just translated the name meaning into English. It suits him plenty.

And Smugleaf, I am lead to beleive, partially derives from pot smoking, so (for some strange reason) is a no no in a franchise being localized for American children where even references to Chinese philosophy are censored. And even then, Smugleaf is an awful, awful name.

American--Pi
23rd November 2010, 4:37 AM
Heehee, even though Snivy's name sucks, I'm still picking it, because its final evo looks AWESOME. Grass Pokemon are cool. <3

Geez, the starter pokemons' names are bad enough. I wonder how bad the names of the awesome bird pokemon (Wargle, Swana, Kenhorou, etc.) will be. :p

Luke the Almighty
23rd November 2010, 4:40 AM
Oshawatt is cool.

Snivy and Tepig are kinda awkward.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 4:41 AM
Kenhorou's name literally means something like Stampytweet so I'll go with that. -___-

Umbreon9
23rd November 2010, 4:44 AM
I'm kinda neutral about the new names. They seemed kinda odd at first, but now I know what they mean it's not so bad. It's just a name anyway, so I don't get why it has to be such a big deal. If you don't like the name, just nickname your pokemon something else.
I thought people with logic didn't exist! :O ...Well actually people understand that. I've seen a whole bunch of "These names are terrible! I'm going to nickname my [insert english name here] [insert fan name/original name]!"
:/

Rentaline99
23rd November 2010, 4:53 AM
Solid Snivy:
http://i54.*******.com/2uik86e.jpg

Revolver Oshawott:
http://i55.*******.com/2s966nc.jpg

yes. Yes. YES.

ForeverFlame
23rd November 2010, 4:57 AM
I have a serious Isshu with all of the English names. Except Snivy, because I totally called that one months ago.

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 4:58 AM
Made this myself. It was sort of the first thing I thought of when Miju's spankin' new English name was revealed:
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/XenoraWootPicks/oshawottcopy.png

Wallaroo42
23rd November 2010, 4:58 AM
I might have to nickname my tepig Teh Pig... but I really liked pokabu as a name.

I like the names though. Oshawott has such a cute ring to it, and Snivy really fits- especially when you imagine the way pokemon say their names- I can imagine smugleaf saying that

Umbreon9
23rd November 2010, 5:00 AM
^Did you just say Slivy? :| Well I kind of agree with you on the names, but I don't really care about them. Besides, as long as I can remember them, that's what I'll call them. No matter how bad their names are.

Edit: He fixed it, now it says Snivy.

ForeverFlame
23rd November 2010, 5:03 AM
IDGI Tepig. All of the other starters had names relating to being hot - torch, char, and cinder. Tepid means lukewarm. Ummmm?

Snivy is similar to the past starter names. It's pretty decent I guess.

Oshawott is even worse than Lickilicky. I'm definitely nicknaming that *****.

Lorde
23rd November 2010, 5:18 AM
Made this myself. It was sort of the first thing I thought of when Miju's spankin' new English name was revealed:
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/XenoraWootPicks/oshawottcopy.png

That image is super-cute! I really do love Mijumaru but it's English name is raising a view "Unovas" "Isshus" with me. I don't really know what the name "Oshawott" is based off of for starters. I was thinking ocean, Ottawa, shore, wash, but I haven't come up with anything solid. Also, I noticed people messing up the name already, and calling it "Oshawatt". Anyway, I wonder what it will sound like in the anime. Would it say "osha osha" or "wott wott"? The former would sound pretty cute but the latter would sound terrible. Anyway, I'll try and get used to the name.

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 5:22 AM
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2010/11/22-1952235329L.jpg
I guess I wasn't the only one though :P

Rainbowdashtheawesome
23rd November 2010, 5:22 AM
Because I really hate the name Oshawott, I'm really glad I already came up with a nickname to give it when I get it: Ahab. Oddly, that name is based on the harpoon that his final form has on its forehead, so by the name it really makes sense it will not be Oshawott anymore, but oh well.

paipr_christian
23rd November 2010, 5:27 AM
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, and i could be wrong, but oshawott, sounds in my head to kinda sound like a merger of ocean water and otter. but obviously condensed. and spelled different. so the osh is like the first part of ocean. so its like oce-a-wott

turtwig217
23rd November 2010, 5:27 AM
Honestly, I LOVE all these names, people complain too much. I mean get over it that you were wrong. Did you honestly expect them to use Smugleaf? I mean I've used Snivy ever since the name meanings were revealed and I didn't expect it to be used for real, thats just gravy. I really really like Snivy though, it's quick, easy, and fitting. I mean evolution names arent that easy that i can think of, maybe Ivyper for Janovy, i kinda like Prinsnake and Monarconda, because thery aren't directed towards any one gender (prince/princess and monarch is ambiguous) but they seem unlikely from Snivy because they're so long. Actually I would love to hear any suggestions for them.

Tepig i think could've been better but its cute enough and rolls off the tongue. I still haven't really seen it fit the face yet but I'm sure I'll get there. Plus I think it opens up a wide variety of names for evolutions, i.e. Warmhog and Scolboar(yea i don't love this one either but you get my point).

Oshalott, well, honestly, at first I thought, "haha its as bad as Wotter and Aquotter" but now, honestly, I really like it. It's cute, it fits, and its not painfuly obvious what the name comes from. I can't really imagine any evolution names though. I would also like hearing suggestions for those.

I like the Unova region being the name, I hadn't thought about them revealing this too, so it was a pleasant suprise. I did think it was weird how different it was from Isshu (which I really liked), but then I saw they're both short for universal or something so thats cool. I like it either way. Also I think it's funny how they added in the "o" sound that was present in all other region names until Isshu, guess it's not so different after all. Haha also I like to think it's oo-nova, not younova.

I dislike that they changed Reshiram and Zekrom from the Yin and Yang Pokemon. I get that not all kids would understand the reference but I think it works better than Vast White and Deep Black Pokemon. racists. Haha jk, but not really. And thats about it. I was very bored, obviously.

SHIFTER01
23rd November 2010, 5:31 AM
calling it now. Oshawott = Ocean + Water + Otter. bizarre name, but at least its evolutions still have potential.

edit: fffff ninja'd

;136; Dude

TalKeaton
23rd November 2010, 5:35 AM
Snivy: I like it. It doesn't really roll off the tongue but it suits him and I'll get used to it.

Tepig: I like it as well. My one disappointment is that in German he gets the name Floink (flame+oink) which I like a lot better. Probably wasn't kept because it's too close to Spoink, but then again Spoink is Spoink in German, too.

Oshawott: Not bad, but it's a mouthful. I feel like Sean Connery trying to say "Ocelot". Kind of an odd spelling, I hope it is pronounced exactly as it sounds.

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 5:41 AM
That image is super-cute!.

Dawwwwww, thanks! ^.^ I'm actually planning to make it my baffled face icon on these threads for awhile.

I really do love Mijumaru but it's English name is raising a view "Unovas" "Isshus" with me. I don't really know what the name "Oshawott" is based off of for starters. I was thinking ocean, Ottawa, shore, wash, but I haven't come up with anything solid. Also, I noticed people messing up the name already, and calling it "Oshawatt". Anyway, I wonder what it will sound like in the anime. Would it say "osha osha" or "wott wott"? The former would sound pretty cute but the latter would sound terrible. Anyway, I'll try and get used to the name.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/XenoraWootPicks/oshawottcopy.png A misspelling with "watt"? How silly! It's not an electric type! :)

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 5:59 AM
http://i54.*******.com/33ur41w.jpg
Hopefully fix'd.
I wasn't the only one with this idea :P

Auraninja
23rd November 2010, 6:22 AM
Dang it, someone beat me to the idea.

Site using the "Revolver Oshawott pun. (http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1595683-english-names-news-revolver-oshawott/)

I really wish I had photoshop, then I could add white long hair and a mustache to the otter. Oh well, it's a nice name. They all are satisfactory.

One other thing, I wish they kept the yin and yang in the Pokemon descriptions of Zekrom and Reshiram respectively.

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 6:23 AM
Hopefully fix'd.

XD I love it. I see you used a snapshot from the anime, no?

magicallypuzzled
23rd November 2010, 7:02 AM
when i first learned tsutarja and the other starter's english names i thought they were aweful names. but snivy and tepig seem to have grown on me snivy just seems kind of cool the longer i think about it. and tepig sounds like The Pig which i rather like but oshawott what were they think? still think that one is terribad.

uber gon
23rd November 2010, 7:09 AM
Snivy kind of sounds like Snively for some reason. That kinda sucks.

Tepig? That sound like some LOLCats meme.

Rakurai
23rd November 2010, 7:23 AM
I find the names a bit unusual, but they'll grow on me.

I usually end up nicknaming my starters, anyways.

Pikacu
23rd November 2010, 7:27 AM
can someone please explain what was going through the creators head when they came up with Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott

thunderblade12
23rd November 2010, 7:27 AM
Wow. Ivipy(Snivy), Porcrisp(Tepig), and Clamelott (Oshawott) would have even been better.

arceus7
23rd November 2010, 7:31 AM
The United states of America thing is incorrect

Unova's Japanese name is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". As explained by game director Masuda, this is to express that even though the region has great diversity in species and race, when seen from a distance they are all the same as living creatures.[2] It may also be influenced by the motto of the United States, e pluribus unum, Latin for "from many, one".

not United States of America

but Uno (One) and possibly Unity (Sticking together)

That's where Unova comes from

unova

nova equals new uno=union
I loled at teh serious metal gear solid references this gen

solid snivy
tepig boss
Revolver oshowatt ocelot.
tepig=tepid pig
snivy=snake ivy
oshawott : oshawa +otter (oshawa is a city by the watter which also means some stream thing so ti fits)

I am surprised that each region has a different name in each language!

good site start reading from page 5 http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1595683-english-names-news-revolver-oshawott/5.htm

LimeStar
23rd November 2010, 7:37 AM
XD I love it. I see you used a snapshot from the anime, no?

Yeah, the episode where Satoshi first takes on the Sanyou Gym, Miju VS Yanappu.
I loved the expression so much I just couldn't resist the pun :3

arceus7
23rd November 2010, 7:48 AM
you should make a BA version of REVOLVER OSHAWOTT ( Ocelot)

METAL GEAR SOLID FTW!

Sunsurge
23rd November 2010, 8:07 AM
Meehhhh. The names are better than I thought...

Snivy...is very meh. But who cares. It evolves and I won't have to see the name again. Who cares about the starter forms names, when they EVOLVE. I just wanna know the final forms names.

Tepig, is also very meh. Least favorite. I thought there could be better combinations. Anyways, Pokabu is a cuter name. Haha! But once again, FINAL form. Though I don't really care about this Pokemon. It's entire line (save Pokabu) is very mehhh.

Oshawhaat!! LOL. Love this name. It's whacky like Mijumaru (that I could never spell), though I must say Miji (don't judge it's how I say it in my head-lol) is a cute name. I like both equally, though Oshawhaaat will probably grow on me faster! Final form though determines what I think though.

Mythic Mist
23rd November 2010, 8:14 AM
I love Snivy and Tepig. Short simple and to the point. And I was wondering where the heck they got the name Oshowott. But then I heard "Oshawhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!" and fell in love with it. xD

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 9:11 AM
I've seen (not just here) a few complaints that Tepig's name doesn't include some reference to sizzle, pork, bacon, ham or cooking. It may have something to do with there being a few rather large world religions who aren't so down on the the whole eating pig flesh thing (like religions that follow the Judeo-Christian Bible, for example) and they probably tried to steer clear from those sort of references (Bacurn, Porkaburn, Sizzloink and the like) to avoid serving fundamentalist preachers an easy meal (I'm very punny, I know). So, yeah.

Apart from that, references to bacon in the name of one of your young audience's starting partners is not going to win you many kiddies anyway, probably.

Will-powered Spriter
23rd November 2010, 9:42 AM
When the games come out, will anyone in Germany be willing to trade me a Tepig?
My life will not be complete until I obtain a Floink. Or Maybe three.

Snivy's french name is pretty cool too.

Sakrey
23rd November 2010, 11:05 AM
I must say, they did a pretty good job with the french names (Pokabu's name made me laugh so much, they did it! Gruikui - "Grui" is most likely an onomatopoeia from pigs' cries and "Kui" is just a corruption of the word "cuit", which means "cooked"...). I will be really happy to pick anyone of them to re-start my aventure in the Unys...erhm, Unova Region.

I guess english names are all good too. Snivy was the most correctly guessed name for Tsutarja, not the most imaginative but still good. Tepig doesn't appeal to me yet but I will give it time. Oshawott is really weird but kind of a cool name to me.

I am pretty fond of Reshiram's and Zekrom's species in french. Transliteraly: the Real White Pokémon and the Ideal Black Pokémon.

halloweenghost
23rd November 2010, 11:24 AM
Snivy kind of sounds like Snively for some reason. That kinda sucks.

Tepig? That sound like some LOLCats meme.

I'm sure it is not pronounced like snivley and more like Sny vee

DarkerShining
23rd November 2010, 11:40 AM
My opinions on the new starter names:

Snivy: Easily the coolest name of the three.

Tepig: That name is... kinda funny...

Oshawott: That is probably the weirdest name ever given to a Pokemon, or at least the weirdest name for a water starter. LOL about the "Oshawhaaaat?" thing, that should totally be a meme.

Hejiru
23rd November 2010, 11:58 AM
I wonder... is it "Ah-shuh-wot" (so that it rhymes with Ocelot) or "Oh-shuh-wot" (so that it sounds like ocean)?

The other two are obvious. "Sny-vee" (not "Snih-vee") and "Tep-ig" (so it sounds like tepid.)

We need to have an English name thread...

Walcott
23rd November 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm happy with the names considering they could have been worse. I really like Snivy, it's easy to pronounce and remember. Plus it makes me think of "sneaky" ^^ Tepig is probably my least favorite, but meh. It's still nice. Oshawott make me laugh, but I really like it. It's creative and very interesting. So I'm happy for the most part. :3

TurtwigFan1
23rd November 2010, 12:28 PM
Oshawott is the coolest name in my opinion, and 'Oshawaaaaaaat?' will soon be a meme.

Snivy is alright, like sneaky/snake and ivy. Smugleaf would've been better like.

Tepig is easily the worst, I just don't really get it. It's a Fire-type, so why is it Tepid? I can only assume that each evolution gets 'hotter' if you get me.

Ophie
23rd November 2010, 12:43 PM
These are what I believe the words are portmanteaued from. I am 100&#37; certain of it.

Snivy = Snide + Snake + Ivy
Tepig = Tepid + Pig
Oshawott = Ocean + Water + Otter
Unova = Uno + Nova

This, of course, means "Unova" is pronounced "ooh-no-va." The stressed syllable, I'm not sure about.

It seems most of this was determined by the time I got here though. Discussion of this sure was hot for a few hours. You guys crashed the site.

Or, of course, Oshawott is a portmanteau of OSHA, the Occupational Safety Hazard Association, and the Flat What.

I like to call it the "Gonbe effect".

You mean there are still people who insist on calling Munchlax Gonbe?

Oh well. I've seen people insist on calling Flygon as "Furaigon," for whatever reason. These guys must like the Japanese names more than the Japanese Pok&#233;mon fans. Any odd cases of a Japanese Pok&#233;mon player preferring to call Pok&#233;mon by their English names?

Haha, 5;24 now. (here in VA)

What time is the sites server on? I heard it was one of the timezones near the middle of the US. (Pardon me if there is only one timezone there XD)

For the record, the United States spans six time zones. From east to west, they are Eastern (-5 GMT), Central (-6 GMT), Mountain (-7), Pacific (-8), Alaskan (-9), and Hawaiian (-10). Nintendo of America is located in Redmond, Washington, which is in the Pacific Time Zone.

Tepig, ehh, very obscure, I wouldn't have thought many kids would know what tepid means.

Nintendo's been using SAT-level words and higher since the 1st generation. I can find "eradicate," "vulpine," "arcane," "polliwog," "far-fetched," "cloister," "doppelganger," "onyx," and "jinx." Without Pok&#233;mon, I don't expect any emelentary schoolers, or even most middle schoolers, to know what these words mean. In addition, we have a lot of foreign words mixed in, mostly Japanese but also Spanish, French, Italian, and German.

Though I'd bet that most kids simply don't care what the root words are. They're just as happy believing it's a made-up word.

For the first time in many years and many Generation I am very happy with the German names, maybe like them just as much as the japanese ones.

Floink especially is just awesome and much better than Tepig. I was hoping that the "dub-name" would keep the oink/bu theme of Pokabu.

Ottaro is funny but not as good as Mijumaru, but at least MUCH better than Oshawott.

Snivy, Serpifeu and Tsutarja are all equally good to me too.
I mostly use the japanese names if I remember them from the top of my head, otherwise I'll use the english ones here, but I am really tempted to start using the German names only. :p

Wait, so all of the languages with original Pok&#233;mon names have been announced?

My God, Pokebeach is, like, the exact opposite of here. Most of the people here are more on the positive side, while everyone over there is complaining. -_-;

The only thing I can really complain about is how they changed Reshiram to the Vast White Pokemon and Zekrom to the Deep Black Pokemon. Their concept was Yin and Yang, and that's not a foreign concept to Americans. Why they were changed is beyond me.

... unless it was to avoid people possibly thinking Zekrom was a "bad guy" or something, since we tend to think of Yin and Yang as Good and Evil over here in the states... hmm...

You should've seen Pok&#233;beach when the Pok&#233;mon toys were given out at Burger King. I was there when it happened. (The recent one, at least.) There was a total turd storm over the fact that it was at Burger King and not at some "healthier" place like Subway or Baja Fresh. I didn't know it was so full of people convinced that eating one single burger in your life will make you obese. How did this ridiculous idea come about?

Regarding the species for Reshiram and Zekrom, what were they originally? I feel like it was a result of letter space limitations than anything else.

LOL, Shaniqua :P But let's hope they don't do anything like that. The names, IMO, are alright and already I'm hearing flamers going off about "OMG these names are so stoopid. I'm gonna boycot B/W because of this nao!!1!1"

Just ignore them. They will either accept the names or just leave Pok&#233;mon websites. I've never seen anyone continue to complain for more than a few months unless they're trolling or they feel it's personal, both of which are very rare and easy to spot.

Iris will most certainly get a name related to dragons or to Kibago. Since she'll accompany Ash, she may get a less conspicuous name.

Off-topic: I'm glad they changed the region name because no one can pronounce it right (everyone probably thinks it's pronounced like the word "issue"). And why are they STILL using that kiddy, un-epic blue/yellow logo? In Japan, the Pokemon logo changes every two generations (Gen I & II shared a logo, while Gen III used a new logo that was re-used again in Gen IV, and B/W show a new logo that will probably be used again in Gen VI). This is just my opinion, but the japanese logos look far more cooler than the international ones.

The card game is the most likely reason for it. Unlike the Japanese card backs, the American (and European) language cards have the Pok&#233;mon logo on them. If the logo ever changed, it would severely limit the card game's playability, as every expansion has been dependent on the several expansions before it.

good site start reading from page 5 http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1595683-english-names-news-revolver-oshawott/5.htm

It's been the same as always. The Japanese, English, French, German, Korean, and Mandarin versions each get their own Pok&#233;mon names. The remaining European languages, most notably Spanish, use the English names. As for the Asian languages, I'm not entirely certain as in most other Asian countries, only merchandise appears, and imported in from other regions at that. I have seen a Thai Pok&#233;mon bottlecap though, and it uses the Japanese names.

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 1:41 PM
Wait, so all of the languages with original Pokémon names have been announced?

They did English-, French-, German-, Spanish- and Italian-language reveals for the day's new material. The starters have different names in English, French and German and the Isshu region has a different name in each of the five languages.

Bulbapedia has the story:

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tsutarja,_Pokabu,_Mijumaru_localized

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 1:52 PM
I went to bet at 22:55 GMT and geuss when they were revealed!? 22:55 GMT, what a bad timing to go to bed -_-'. Well... at least I know them now.
I really like the new regio name, it sounds better than Isshu(IMO). Unova Unova Unova, U-NO-VA.....ummmm.....yeaaaah... I'm already used to it. But seriously, where do you want to go on an adventure? A place called Isshu or a place called Unova :).

Also the names are fine.
Snivy:meh...liked Tsutarja more, Snivy doesn't feel very "royal", at least they kept the pun.
Tepig:sounds nice didn't get the pun until I knew that tepid means lukewarm. It's evos names are probably going to get "hotter".
Oshawott: sounds cute(but not as cute as Mijumaru) and a bit mysterious.
But, of course, the name you are looking at the most of the time is the last evo's name

Regarding the species for Reshiram and Zekrom, what were they originally? I feel like it was a result of letter space limitations than anything else.

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon-pre.shtml (scroll down)
Reshiram: white yang Pokémon, Zekrom: black yin Pokémon.

But... I alway though yin was that white part of the thing and yang the black part.

davidxrawr
23rd November 2010, 2:00 PM
the names are a bit odd but I like them (:
As for Unova...I prefer Isshu >_> but hey there just names :D

Cobalt_Latios
23rd November 2010, 2:02 PM
I went to bet at 22:55 GMT and geuss when they were revealed!? 22:55 GMT, what a bad timing to go to bed -_-'. Well... at least I know them now.
I really like the new regio name, it sounds better than Isshu(IMO). Unova Unova Unova, U-NO-VA.....ummmm.....yeaaaah... I'm already used to it. But seriously, where do you want to go on an adventure? A place called Isshu or a place called Unova :).
At least it removes the "issue" of called it "Isshu". I actually do like the name Unova. Sure it doesn't really follow the tradition all the much... but given how different the region is to previous ones, I'm not complaining.

As for the starter names... Oshawott reminds me of the city in Ontario called "Oshawa". Snivy... still like Smugleaf better. At least I can nickname him that. Tepig?? I'd forgotten we even had a word for lukewarm...

Eh, I don't mind it too much. Hopefully we'll get Zoroark's English name soon... unless it's already English.

C_L

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 2:06 PM
I believe we've learned that Zoroark will be kept as such for the English release, yes.

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 2:10 PM
At least it removes the "issue" of called it "Isshu". I actually do like the name Unova. Sure it doesn't really follow the tradition all the much... but given how different the region is to previous ones, I'm not complaining.
C_L

Actually it does keep the tradition. of having an "o" in the name.

ace557
23rd November 2010, 2:12 PM
I believe we've learned that Zoroark will be kept as such for the English release, yes.

Could you please show some proof of this, hopefully, amazing statement? I hope you're right, but at the same time, just making a statement then leaving it at that without showing proof of any kind, well, it just doesn't seem as believable as you'd hope >>

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 2:17 PM
http://pokebeach.com/2010/10/zoroark-master-of-illusions-confirmed-for-2011-release

As the article states, the poster was taken down shortly after being put up, and this is the only indicator of such we've seen at the moment. TPCi/Nintendo's press release for their big Generation V push mentioned Movie 13 but did not name it.

The veracity of this is enough for my tastes, but you're free to believe or not believe as you see fit until we get something more official.

Pikacu
23rd November 2010, 2:17 PM
Without a doubt Enbouh's english name will be Emboar
does anyone have any ideas for the other 2

ace557
23rd November 2010, 2:21 PM
As I said, I do hope that you're right, but I'm simply skeptical because nothing official has been shown, nor have any official statements been made.

Edit: Not to mention, the poster cropped up on ebay of all places. Don't get me wrong, I trust ebay with a good deal of information involving prices and such, but taking a poster on a site known for selling fake games on a nearly daily basis, as true information just seems sloppy to me.

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 2:30 PM
zoroark.com redirects to pokemon.com, which stacks with official English movie poster to be fairly convincing that it will remain. Since the movie needs to be dubbed into English, keeping it the same/similar to the Japanese name means that you can a) potentially reuse the Japanese voice work and save money b) make the dubbing easier by not increasing or decreasing each line with the title character's name in it by one or two syllables.

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 2:33 PM
About Snivy's name, I think little kids in my country will pronounce it as "Sniffie"(That sounds a bit like a name you could give to a bunny).
About Zoroark's name, I think that will also be revealed soon, because it's the star of the next Pok&#233;mon movie.

And that they revealed the starters names on a monday, could that mean they reveal names every week???(just a hypothesis)

Sabonea_Masukippa
23rd November 2010, 2:43 PM
Every week is unlikely.

We're roughly four-five months away from the US release (assuming an March-April release date), which is roughly the distance between the starters being revealed in Japan and the games' release. At that time, only Zoroark, Zorua, Zekrom and Reshiram had otherwise been revealed. So I'd say they're going to roughly mirror the Japanese release of Pokemon, but we'll see, obviously.

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 2:57 PM
Every week is unlikely.

We're roughly four-five months away from the US release (assuming an March-April release date), which is roughly the distance between the starters being revealed in Japan and the games' release. At that time, only Zoroark, Zorua, Zekrom and Reshiram had otherwise been revealed. So I'd say they're going to roughly mirror the Japanese release of Pokemon, but we'll see, obviously.

yeah, I think your right.
four-five months, I didn't knew it's that few yet, time sure flies.
They probably only reveal between like half or quarter of the pre-release new pokémon page.
But, "Patience is a virtue", or was it something like "Good things shall come to those who wait", either way, time will tell.

Locormus
23rd November 2010, 3:04 PM
After half a day, I can say that most of the names have settled in and I'm still not liking 'Snivy'. I know that it's the portmanteau of the literal translation, but like others, I don't think it fits the royal theme much. Oshawott is a really intricate name, that I like. And Tepig needs some more time, I guess, I can't help but pronounce it as either 'Tepic' or 'Tebig'. How about you try to say: 'The big Tepig is epic' four times fast in a row, without making any errors.. Now, on to the international names.

Jap - US/UK/EU - German - French
Tsutaja - Snivy - Serpifeu - Vipélierre
Pokabu - Tepig - Floink - Gruikui
Mijumaru - Oshawott - Ottaro - Moustillon

Tsutaja: Vipélierre is just plain epic and goes well with it being based on French royalty, Serpifeu makes me think its a fire type as 'feuer' means fire in german. Snivy sucks compared to the other three.
Pokabu: Floink is what I'm officially going to nickname mine as of now, plain epic again! Gruikui sounds right for something based off of pigs. Tepig is again, weird sounding compared to the others.
Mijumaru: Ottaro is a cool name, much easier on the ears then Oshawott. Moustillon is a fine name. I'm really impressed by the names they went for with Mijumaru.

So when it comes down to the wire, the worst names out of the twelve are:

1. Snivy: I really dislike this in favour of either Smugleaf or Vipélierre
2. Tepig: I can't even pronounce it without bending a p to a b or a g to a c... But I guess that's me.
3. Serpifeu: I like it, but that feu part throws me off, I know it's taken from Feuille, which means leaf in French, but something like Serpifleur would've made much more sense as it's a portmanteau of serpent and fleur (flower), it wouldn't raise the notion of fire and would've fit the 10char rule as well.. It sounds more french then german, that's another thing...

All 9 other names are brilliant in my opinion, but these three have something that irks me, and I think I've backed it up sufficiently to not come off as whiny.

Makes me think of Diamond and Pearl where I thought some of the foreign names would've been better then the English names (Beadull became Bibarel, why? I don't know. Beequeen to Vespiquen and Scorpi to Skorupi baffled me as well.. :S). Don't tell me that you don't think Floink (flame and oink = brilliant) isn't a more suitable name for Pokabu then 'Tepig'...

Cobalt_Latios
23rd November 2010, 4:00 PM
Jap - US/UK/EU - German - French
Tsutaja - Snivy - Serpifeu - Vipélierre
Pokabu - Tepig - Floink - Gruikui
Mijumaru - Oshawott - Ottaro - Moustillon
It's official, Vipélierre owns all.

Tsutaja: Vipélierre is just plain epic and goes well with it being based on French royalty, Serpifeu makes me think its a fire type as 'feuer' means fire in german. Snivy sucks compared to the other three.
I actually thought Serpifeu was French, before you pointed it out otherwise. Why? Serpent = Snake, Feu = Fire. Serpifeu. But... that doesn't make sense, seeing as it's a grass type. But Vipélierre, that's the first time I actually prefer a French Pokemon name to an English one.

3. Serpifeu: I like it, but that feu part throws me off, I know it's taken from Feuille, which means leaf in French, but something like Serpifleur would've made much more sense as it's a portmanteau of serpent and fleur (flower), it wouldn't raise the notion of fire and would've fit the 10char rule as well.. It sounds more french then german, that's another thing...
Oh, I didn't think to put "Feu" with "Feuille". Shows you how much I'm losing my French :s.

C_L

yuzke
23rd November 2010, 4:07 PM
okey ... Tepig sounds like The pig but oh well, it will grow on me ... overall the english names are decent but now im confused wich starter i will choose ... between snivy or oshwataqwpqskas12aska1 xD and Unova is way better than isshu

Locormus
23rd November 2010, 4:15 PM
It's official, Vipélierre owns all.

I actually thought Serpifeu was French, before you pointed it out otherwise. Why? Serpent = Snake, Feu = Fire. Serpifeu. But... that doesn't make sense, seeing as it's a grass type. But Vipélierre, that's the first time I actually prefer a French Pokemon name to an English one.

Oh, I didn't think to put "Feu" with "Feuille". Shows you how much I'm losing my French :s.

C_L

Well, I'm not that great at French eventhough I had to take it for four years in a row.. But still, why would they choose french words for a German name? I bet even the germans would scratch their heads a couple of times before they get it... Normally the names are quite easy to understand, but this is the most ambiguous that I've ever seen, eventhough it's again a somewhat literal translation + portmanteau of Snake + Ivy, and in this case Leaf...

Japanese: Ivy+Snake
English: Snake+Ivy
German: Snake+Leaf (In French)
French: Viper+Ivy

I wonder where Gruikui comes from, I think it's basically the sound of a pig squealing formed into a name, but I don't know for sure.

Battra
23rd November 2010, 4:34 PM
Like the English names for the starter's kinda interested on why they went and changed Isshu to Unova.

gliscor&yanmega
23rd November 2010, 4:35 PM
Snivy-I predicted it. Was one of the few of my predictions I liked. I like the sound of it too. I never cared for the fan made name "Smugleaf".
Tepig-Not really crazy about this one, it looks odd. Was expecting "Pig" to be in the name but I also expected "Fire", "Flame", or "Ember" to be in the name as well. I have nothing against the name, just looks odd to me.
Oshawott-Kind of odd as well.
Unova-Why change the name of Isshu? I liked Isshu. Unova is fine though.

I'm hoping for my favorite Pokemon to have names I really like, I probably wont hate any of the names though, not in my nature.

e9310103838
23rd November 2010, 4:41 PM
It's been the same as always. The Japanese, English, French, German, Korean, and Mandarin versions each get their own Pok&#233;mon names. The remaining European languages, most notably Spanish, use the English names. As for the Asian languages, I'm not entirely certain as in most other Asian countries, only merchandise appears, and imported in from other regions at that. I have seen a Thai Pok&#233;mon bottlecap though, and it uses the Japanese names.

Asian languages also have their own Pok&#233;mon names by Taiwan and Hong Kong primarily.

Just the late announcement, and only Zoroa & Zoroak already announced now.

Bulbapedia also have data. ;328;

TalKeaton
23rd November 2010, 4:44 PM
Unova-Why change the name of Isshu? I liked Isshu. Unova is fine though.

Even Spain and Portugal, who use the English/American Pokemon names for the starters, have unique names for the region. It seems rather than keep some form of the name itself, they wanted to make sure the region name's meaning carried across all the languages.

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 4:49 PM
Hopefully fix'd.

Oshawhaat!! LOL. Love this name. It's whacky like Mijumaru (that I could never spell), though I must say Miji (don't judge it's how I say it in my head-lol) is a cute name. I like both equally, though Oshawhaaat will probably grow on me faster! Final form though determines what I think though.

I love Snivy and Tepig. Short simple and to the point. And I was wondering where the heck they got the name Oshowott. But then I heard "Oshawhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!" and fell in love with it. xD

Oshawott: That is probably the weirdest name ever given to a Pokemon, or at least the weirdest name for a water starter. LOL about the "Oshawhaaaat?" thing, that should totally be a meme.

Oshawott is the coolest name in my opinion, and 'Oshawaaaaaaat?' will soon be a meme.

You've got a following, LimeStar! :)

Cobalt_Latios
23rd November 2010, 5:17 PM
Since when does Smugleaf have to with "Ivy"?

I wonder where Gruikui comes from, I think it's basically the sound of a pig squealing formed into a name, but I don't know for sure.
Allow me:

Grui - squealing (which it sounds like)
Kui - "cuit", the verb "to cook" in third person. Cooking usually involves heat/fire.

C_L

tmega90
23rd November 2010, 5:33 PM
I love all three starter's names. They are very cool to me. Snivy sounds very cool, Tepig is an interesting play on words, and Oshawott is just fun to say. I am glad they named them these names.

Will-powered Spriter
23rd November 2010, 5:35 PM
Since when does Smugleaf have to with "Ivy"?

You are aware Smugleaf is in no way official, so does not need to conform to the naming theme?

R_N
23rd November 2010, 5:40 PM
In fact, Tsutaja basically meant ivy snake so....

Haunter ゴースト
23rd November 2010, 5:47 PM
Well i guess these new names are actually okay,
Oshawott is definetly my favourite, Snivy is cool, and Tepig is just that name that will need getting used to.
And Isshu is the Unova Region?
I reckon Isshu sounded a lot more better to be honest, they could have stilled used Isshu aswell, it sounds decent enough to be nationwide.

Chibi_Muffin
23rd November 2010, 5:56 PM
Snivy. Snivy. Snivy Snivy Sniiiiiiivy.

That's what I thought yesterday, but dismissed the name as it sounded too... not uncreative, but I guess 'simple'.

Today, I discovered two things:

1. It was definitely not 2011 that they were being released.
2. Yep, it was actually called Snivy.

In fact, I'm kinda used to it! Which is a bad thing, really - it's Tepig and Oshawott I'm meant to be getting used to, as the Snivy in my game is going to be called Galileo. Can't win 'em all. =/

The names aren't that bad really. Tepig is okay, Snivy is good, and Oshawott is HILARIOUS. In a good way. Lol at the OSHAWHAAAAAT?! picture. =]

Anyways, on the subject of future English names, I'm fairly sure that Munna (by extension Musharna) and Chillarmy will stay the same. They just sound something that works in English.

R_N
23rd November 2010, 5:58 PM
I will go out on a limb and say they didn't want everyone to call the "Issue", thus the name change

Elxar
23rd November 2010, 6:00 PM
Well Oshawott could mean 'Oshawa' (native American word for "stream crossing" and is an actual name of a City in Ontario Canada which is near a lake) + Otter.

Cobalt_Latios
23rd November 2010, 6:04 PM
You are aware Smugleaf is in no way official, so does not need to conform to the naming theme?
Yes, I am aware, I was just using the name to directly refer to the character design. On that note, I only see the "vine" part on it's last form.

I was just using Smugleaf as a placeholder.

C_L

redroses
23rd November 2010, 6:15 PM
Well, I'm not that great at French eventhough I had to take it for four years in a row.. But still, why would they choose french words for a German name? I bet even the germans would scratch their heads a couple of times before they get it... Normally the names are quite easy to understand, but this is the most ambiguous that I've ever seen, eventhough it's again a somewhat literal translation + portmanteau of Snake + Ivy, and in this case Leaf...

The "feu" part from the german name of Snivy comes from Efeu, the german word for ivy.
Can see though why people would think it comes from the french word for leaf.

SceptileFan
23rd November 2010, 6:15 PM
I will go out on a limb and say they didn't want everyone to call the "Issue", thus the name change

Very, very good point.

I like the new names. Snivy makes the Pokemon seem small and not very intimidating, but that's how starter Pokemon are supposed to seem, right?

Tepig works for me. It's going to take a little while for me to stop calling it Pokabu, but I'll get there. I like the use of the word "tepid", which means lukewarm. It kinda makes me think like he's saying, "I'm somewhat hot but not really boiling yet".

Oshawott = BEST. NAME. EVER.
It's hilarious. Plus it explains Ash's Oshawott's personality so well. And I love the "Oshawhaaat!?" thing going on. It needs to be a meme.

R_N
23rd November 2010, 6:30 PM
Oshawott = BEST. NAME. EVER.
It's hilarious. Plus it explains Ash's Oshawott's personality so well. And I love the "Oshawhaaat!?" thing going on. It needs to be a meme.

No it doesn't.

REVOLVER OSHAWOTT FOREVER

CaptainCombusken
23rd November 2010, 6:31 PM
Firstly, I want to say that I got one right! I guessed Snivy back before even all of the Pokemon were revealed! YES!

But Frankly, I already prefer both Oshawott's name and design. Oshawott (Ocean- Water- otter- well, that's what Pokebeach reckons anyway) is such a great Pokemon! I can't wait until I at least have the names for all the base forms of all my team. I already have two, Oshawott and Zekrom.

Tepig is an epic name too, and the fact I got Snivy right makes me like it.

Unova is not a good name, it now means that every single Pokemon region has had an "O" in its name! But yeah, chavs would have been shouting "Big Isshu!" to us here in England at least, so I'm fine with the new name. I have to say, t he region's a bit too much like the wacky Pokemon Ranger region names (Seriouslu? OBVLIVIA?).
Once again, according to Pokebeach, the name comes from United states OV America, which seeing the base, is an obvious choice.

S yeah, overall, like the names, can't wait to see more! I'm getting sick of calling them by their Japanese names. It's making me stutter too much. And I don't like stuttering.

arceus7
23rd November 2010, 6:46 PM
The United states of America thing is incorrect

Unova's Japanese name is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". As explained by game director Masuda, this is to express that even though the region has great diversity in species and race, when seen from a distance they are all the same as living creatures.[2] It may also be influenced by the motto of the United States, e pluribus unum, Latin for "from many, one".

not United States of America

but Uno (One) and possibly Unity (Sticking together)

That's where Unova comes from

unova

nova equals new uno=union
I loled at teh serious metal gear solid references this gen

solid snivy
tepig boss
Revolver oshowatt ocelot.
tepig=tepid pig
snivy=snake ivy
oshawott : oshawa +otter (oshawa is a city by the watter which also means some stream thing so ti fits)

You are wrong proby3, so is pokebeach

Morgil
23rd November 2010, 7:23 PM
Anybody else notice this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snivy

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 7:43 PM
Anybody else notice this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snivy

.........Well...I geuss because it's urban language, NoA probably didn't knew the existece of that word.

CaptainCombusken
23rd November 2010, 7:49 PM
Can I not believe what I want to believe? I really don't give much of a s*** about the other possible meanings of the name. There is no official meaning to the names, only NoA know the real meanings. What you have posted is your own possible view. Unless if you happen to be a NoA employee, I'll take what I think it is.

I live in a free country, where according to UN rights, I get to have freedom of speech and thought. So thank you very much, I will believe what I will believe and leave it at that.

But yeah. I am really starting to like Unova now. I may have a slightly different explanation to its name too. United States of America, yes, but also sounds like Unknown, and seeing as it's a region far away from all the others, it's quite an unknown region.
And frankly, the only Pokemon with references to the real world is Articuno, so I really doubt that it's based off a Canadian city. Isn't it called Ottawa, or is that me being a bit of a noob?
ocean-water-otter. Easy.

{(•)___(•)}
23rd November 2010, 8:01 PM
Has anyone else realized that Oshawott is the first starter since Johto that doesn't have two syllables in its name?

CaptainCombusken
23rd November 2010, 8:15 PM
I hadn't, but an interesting fact. I love trivia...

lol @ Snivy's slang meaning.

Lorde
23rd November 2010, 8:28 PM
Anybody else notice this:

Haha, that's hilarious. I wonder if NoA knew that before they named Tsutarja, Snivy. There's something about the name Snivy that I really like. It just rolls off the tongue and it still makes me think of a smug Pokemon when I read it so it's a perfect English name for Tsutarja. Tepig is starting to sound better with age as well. I used to hate it yesterday but now it's just another Pokemon name to me. Oshawott however, has become my favorite name since I've seen so many cute images of Oshawott since it's English name was revealed.

Aurath8
23rd November 2010, 8:46 PM
Odd names I must say, on to the analysis!
Snivy - A good predictable name that stays true to the pokemon. Not only does it combine Snake and ivy but has a little bit of snide in there too. 9.5/10

Tepig - At first it seemed unimpressive as the definition of tepid I knew was a boring, apathetic almost character which is far from Pokabu's. I looked it up as NoA must be mad to call it that but it turns out that tepid also meant cool or lukewarm. This leaves the evos to get hotter and more exciting. Emboar is looking less likely now as a result as embers are the remnants of a flame. It is pretty cunning of them, still a lukearm fire starter sort of contradicts. The name itself sounsd like teh pig, negative. 8.6/10

Oshawott - Oh, sure... WHAAAAAT! It's hilarious but makes no sense to me whatsoever, despite numerous attepts to explain it.
Heck, it's pratically a meme already. 9/10

Mario with Lasers
23rd November 2010, 9:19 PM
Someone surely got mad here... Calm down guys.

As a native romanic language speaker, I see Unova meaning "uno" (unitary) and "nova" (new). Apparently this relates with the origin of "Isshu" and B/W's concept of being a "new beginning" and far, far away from the other regions. Being almost a direct translation of the JP region name also helps my case. I can see where this "United States ov America" thing comes from, but I feel it's merely a coincidence. No one is seriously suggesting Tsutarja will be called Snivy because it gets all horny, right?

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 9:28 PM
As a native romanic language speaker, I see Unova meaning "uno" (unitary) and "nova" (new). Apparently this relates with the origin of "Isshu" and B/W's concept of being a "new beginning" and far, far away from the other regions. Being almost a direct translation of the JP region name also helps my case. I can see where this "United States ov America" thing comes from, but I feel it's merely a coincidence. No one is seriously suggesting Tsutarja will be called Snivy because it gets all horny, right?

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/XenoraWootPicks/oshawottcopy.png Snivy? I seriously hope not. I've never heard of that definition.

And yes, I think Unova does come from Latin roots and not some crazy rehash of The United States of America.

Mario with Lasers
23rd November 2010, 9:37 PM
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/XenoraWootPicks/oshawottcopy.png Snivy? I seriously hope not. I've never heard of that definition.

And yes, I think Unova does come from Latin roots and not some crazy rehash of The United States of America.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snivy

!

Slowemperor
23rd November 2010, 9:39 PM
With or without the not so family friendly connotation, I find Snivy the best out of the three. It's simple, it's punny and it's sounds right for him.
Tepig... I didn't actually knew what tepid meant, so I guess I can thank it for teaching me that. I don't find it very good and at the first I thought "Teh Pig?!", but I guess it depends on how the evolutions get worked out. Although it sound to close to the root word (hey, but we got names that were exactly the root word).
Osshawott... really? I mean... it's weird to say, to write... and, while it is not actually much longer than Chickorita or Charmander, it sounds longer. And the "wott" (~"watt") makes me think of electricity (like:

"1.21 OSSHAWATTS ! The only thing that can produce that kind of energy is.. samurai otter!"

And Unova. I like it, it kills the issues with pronouciations and the issues with "issue" related puns. Ands it is the easier to pronouce since Kanto (for portuguese speakers at least...)!

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 9:49 PM

I thinks thats because its urban language. NoA probably also never heard of it.
hehehe, Think about their faces when they discover it's urban language meaning.

But I think its no big deal, because I think not much people(especially little kids) know about it's urban language meaning.

Sponge
23rd November 2010, 9:54 PM
I'm sure that the people creating this will have thought of many more angles to names then what the public would come up with. Unova does sound like Unknown....it's very possible that influenced their decision.

Usually on bulbapedia they explain the names with one or two possible meanings.....but there could be many other angles or smaller ideas that don't occur to us, at least not instantly but were discussed by the name creators.

Epwna is a Sceptile
23rd November 2010, 9:56 PM
You know, I just thought of a really weird name for Mijumaru's final evo. Senosha. It looks like a wise pokemon, so Sen from sensai. Then Osha like Oshawott, except it's pronounced "Oh-sha", not "Aw-sha".

Shneak
23rd November 2010, 10:00 PM
Urban Dictionary is for immature trolls.

Anyway, I'm actually warming up to the names. I still laugh at Snivy though. Sounds so odd.

Luxrayess
23rd November 2010, 10:01 PM
I thinks thats because its urban language. NoA probably also never heard of it.
hehehe, Think about their faces when they discover it's urban language meaning.

But I think its no big deal, because I think not much people(especially little kids) know about it's urban language meaning.

I hope that definition stays obscure. Gamefreak and NoA don't need that kind of bad publicity.

Dracoste
23rd November 2010, 10:15 PM
As long people aren't going randomly entering pokémon names in an urban dictionary, it will be fine(seriously how big is the change).

Umm...hehehe-_-'...and as long people aren't going to google it and choose the third option, but most people will search Pokémons in the picture department(I hope).

LexSuicune
23rd November 2010, 10:28 PM
I kindda hope they're trolling us with Mijumaru's name :(

Vicious Sal
23rd November 2010, 10:37 PM
And now my dreams of Scorchog for the final evo may come to fruition. Like someone said, each evo getting a hotter name.

And how about the name Orricane for the water evo? Hurricane + Orca + arcane sorta?

BCVM22
23rd November 2010, 10:53 PM
I kindda hope they're trolling us with Mijumaru's name :(

Regardless of what you actually mean by "trolling", does that really seem likely?

Hope if you must, but don't let it get in the way of simple common sense.

Shneak
23rd November 2010, 10:57 PM
Kind of random, but it is 5th Gen Pokemon...

Zekrom and Reshriam Reshiram are going to be in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.

http://social.macys.com/parade2010/#/lineup

R_N
23rd November 2010, 11:01 PM
That's...legitimately surprising to me. It's always been just Pikachu, before.

davidxrawr
23rd November 2010, 11:06 PM
random: zekrom aned reshiram are in the macy's day parade lineup ",

Lorde
Kind of random, but it is 5th Gen Pokemon...

Zekrom and Reshriam Reshiram are going to be in Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.

I read about that on another thread. I'm surprised to see them showcase Zekrom and Reshiram so early though. I guess they just want to build as much Black/White hype as possible before the games are released next year. I was hoping that the Unova Starter Pokemon would get balloons but it looks like they're just going with the cover Pokemon instead. Still neat to see though.

Shneak
Yeah. Pikachu's still there too.

Then again, you can only find Zekrom and Reshiram in Unova/NYC.

Luxrayess
24th November 2010, 12:31 AM
random: zekrom aned reshiram are in the macy's day parade lineup ",

Wow, that's early for pulling big marketing stunts like that! Wonder how much money Nintendo forked over to have those balloons made...

(I wonder if this means they're going to start taking pre-orders, come Black Friday or a little beyond. I would like that!)

EDIT: Oops! I guess Reshie & Zek won't be appearing as balloons, but "Specialty Units." (Huge anima-tronic machines on wheels, maybe?)

R_N
24th November 2010, 12:35 AM
I read about that on another thread. I'm surprised to see them showcase Zekrom and Reshiram so early though. I guess they just want to build as much Black/White hype as possible before the games are released next year. I was hoping that the Unova Starter Pokemon would get balloons but it looks like they're just going with the cover Pokemon instead. Still neat to see though.

What do you mean "early"
They were first revealed to the US public months ago. At the same time as being revealed in Japan, even!

BCVM22
24th November 2010, 1:00 AM
Wonder how much money Nintendo forked over to have those balloons made...

Compared to the revenue that Pokémon generates each year for each of Nintendo's international subsidiaries, I'm sure it was a relative pittance.

(I wonder if this means they're going to start taking pre-orders, come Black Friday or a little beyond. I would like that!)

Without an official release date, "official" pre-orders won't start. Not that stores won't be happy to take your pre-order money on what is basically scout's honor, but still.

Luxrayess
24th November 2010, 1:02 AM
What do you mean "early"
They were first revealed to the US public months ago. At the same time as being revealed in Japan, even!

True, but it was pretty much only an internet message that was spread around. The Macy's Thanksgiving parade, next to revealing the English starter names, is going to be a huge step forward in publicity for the US and elsewhere.

Linkdarkside
24th November 2010, 1:19 AM
i love the names ,Tepig being my favorite of the names.

the reason they changed Isshu most likely was because is similar to Issue or that Pokemon International decided to go on a new direction as Unova is far away from the old region and is not based on japanese geography.

thedup
24th November 2010, 1:30 AM
other people love the names? I'm not sure why, but I hate Snivy and Tepig. Maybe because this is the first time I've familiarized myself with the japanese names first

Crystal_Power
24th November 2010, 4:03 AM
I was somewhat okay with the new names at first but Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott sounds perfect now. Whenever I saw any picture of the starters I would instantly think of their new names while not thinking about the Japanese ones. (replacing them)

However, I liked Snivy better than Tsutarja in the first place so that one was easy.

725roy
24th November 2010, 4:22 AM
the nicknames i will give my pokemon:
Snivy: Smugleaf (DUH...)
Tepig: TEH PIG!!!
Oshawott: Miju (just because i LOVED the name)

yrp what'll you gys have?

Cobalt_Latios
24th November 2010, 6:37 AM
I was somewhat okay with the new names at first but Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott sounds perfect now. Whenever I saw any picture of the starters I would instantly think of their new names while not thinking about the Japanese ones. (replacing them)

However, I liked Snivy better than Tsutarja in the first place so that one was easy.
Actually, the only one I have an issue with is Tepig... but mainly for pronunciation issues. Otherwise, I'm fine with them.

However, I'm still loving Snivy's French name: "Vipélierre". Oshawott is great because it reminds me of a local city called: "Oshawa".

Tepig... still unsure at this point.

C_L

Morgil
24th November 2010, 7:13 AM
I'm definitely gonna pick Snivy, and as for what i'll nickname it: [points to sig]

Mr. E Goods
24th November 2010, 11:08 AM
Oshawott sounds too long to say in a way. Like hard on your tongue, by comparing it to "Bulbasaur":/ Name sorta makes sense, but it still sounds like a 'Japanese' word. But I do like the name. Ocean+Otter.

LimeStar
24th November 2010, 12:08 PM
The Macy's Thanksgiving parade...is going to be a huge step forward in publicity for the US and elsewhere.
I can't speak for other places, but I'm pretty sure no one here cares about the Thanksgiving parade, as we don't even celebrate thanksgiving.
Hell, I might even be the only person I know who even knew there was a Thanksgiving parade that featured Pikachu, and my friends are all Pokenerds.
USA, I'll agree with, good publicity.
Elsewhere, not so much.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 12:45 PM
Ok, so rather than study for my exam last night I decided to come up with really awful/obvious names for the new Pokemon in order to a) procrastinate b) to try and think of names that, while awful/obvious, retain some of the Japanese name meaning or a reference in the Pokedex and c) to remind everyone that no matter what the real names end up being, none of them can be worse than these:

Starting with the first 7 ordinary Unova Pokemon that were revealed:
Munna: Lunir (lunar + tapir), Dreamir, Munna
Chillarmy: Chillarmy, Chillarmine (chinchilla + ermine),
Gearu: Geer, Sprog (sprocket + cog)/Spog (spin + cog), Gearate (gear + gyrate), Whear (whirl/wheel + gear), Circog (circle + cog), Spurl (spurwheel+ whirl)
Hihidaruma: Babburn (baboon + burn), Searmian (sear + simian),
Shimama: Zebolt, Zapra,
Mamepato: Pijuff (pigeon + tough), Pijust (pigeon + trust/just)
Meguroco: Fortidile (fortitude + crocodile), Aridile (arid + crocodile), Corruptile (corrupt + reptile/crocodile), Crimidile (criminal + crocodile), Crocovile (crocodile + vile)

And some randoms:
Futachimaru: Osholar (ocean + scholar), Oshell (ocean + shell)
Chaobuu: Warmthog
Janovy: Vipire (viper + sire),
Jalorda: Sirpent (sir + sepent), Sirvy (sir + ivy), Snoble (snake/snob + noble)
Tabunne: Hearling (hear + healing),
Elfuun: Mischelf (mischief + elf)
Yabukuron: Garbag
Dustdas: Garburst
Tuline: Tuloot (tulip + root)
Doredia: Ladelle (lady + belle), Damanthus (dame + dianthus)
Basurao: Basserk (bass + berserk)
Monozu: Singull (single + skull)
Jihead: Headuo
Sazandra: Tridra/Tryda (tri + hydra), Hydragon
Fushide: Centipoison
Kurumiru: Clotherpillar, Cloakapillar, Swaddleaf (swaddle + leaf)
Kuyumaru: Cocloak, Cocoat, Cocover,
Otamaro: Tadbrow (tadpole + eyebrow)
Gamageroge: Ribbitoad
Gamagaru: Vibratoad
Tamagetake/Morobareru: Mushquerade (mushroom + masquerade, too close to Roserade, prob) , Mushelter, Mushade, Mushroof, Mushield
Kibago: Fangon (fang + dragon), Tuskid (tusk + kid),
Ononokus: Tremblax (tremble + axe), Intimidragon (intimidate + dragon)
Mamambo: Therapish (therapy + fish), Nurfin (nursing + fin)
Hitomoshi: Tapyre (taper + pyre), Tapyro (taper + pyromanic etc)
Tesseed: Sternel (steel + kernel), Steedle (steel + needle)
Bachuru: Sparachnid (spark + arachnid)
Kuitaran: Tamanduant (tamandua + anteater) , Tamant (Tamandua + ant)
Shikijika: Seasoal (season + foal)
Mebukijika: Budear (bud + dear), Antlossom (antler + blossom),
Aguiruuda: Ningile or Ninjile (ninja + agile),
Doryuuzu: Droil (drill + soil, also works in a certain level of the ‘dragon’ pun from Doryuuzu)
Kumasyun: Snobear (snot + snow + bear), Snocub
Pururiru: Princepus (prince/princess + octopus)
Emonga: Electril (electric + squirrel)
Shibibiru: Eelectric (eel + electric)
Shibirudon: Lamparalyze (lamprey + paralyze), Lampray (lamp + ray (as in of sunshine), Clamprey (clamp + lamprey)
Choroneko: Kleptocat (Kleptomaniac + cat), Purrglar (purr + burglar)
Ishizumai: Pebbwell (pebble + dwell), Abolder (abode + boulder), Dwebble (dwell + pebble), Resitone (residence + stone)

wafiazizul
24th November 2010, 1:29 PM
Ok, so rather than study for my exam last night I decided to come up with really awful/obvious names for the new Pokemon in order to a) procrastinate b) to try and think of names that, while awful/obvious, retain some of the Japanese name meaning or a reference in the Pokedex and c) to remind everyone that no matter what the real names end up being, none of them can be worse than these:

Gearu: Geer, Sprog (sprocket + cog)/Spog (spin + cog), Gearate (gear + gyrate), Whear (whirl/wheel + gear), Circog (circle + cog), Spurl (spurwheel+ whirl)
Meguroco: Fortidile (fortitude + crocodile), Aridile (arid + crocodile), Corruptile (corrupt + reptile/crocodile), Crimidile (criminal + crocodile), Crocovile (crocodile + vile)

And some randoms:
Tamagetake/Morobareru: Mushquerade (mushroom + masquerade, too close to Roserade, prob) , Mushelter, Mushade, Mushroof, Mushield
Doryuuzu: Droil (drill + soil, also works in a certain level of the ‘dragon’ pun from Doryuuzu)
Shibirudon: Lamparalyze (lamprey + paralyze), Lampray (lamp + ray (as in of sunshine), Clamprey (clamp + lamprey)
Ishizumai: Pebbwell (pebble + dwell), Abolder (abode + boulder), Dwebble (dwell + pebble), Resitone (residence + stone)

most of the names are great and high chances that they would be use on those pokemon~

Ophie
24th November 2010, 1:36 PM
I hope that definition stays obscure. Gamefreak and NoA don't need that kind of bad publicity.

There's no such thing as bad publicity. If word gets out, what we'll get are curious middle-schoolers and college frat boys and stoners picking up the game in addition to even more kids getting this scndalous games their "parents don't want them to get." (Well, that was a pretty common phrase used in marketing in the late-80s to mid-90s.)

This is entirely different from the Pinto cars.

SasakiThePikachu
24th November 2010, 1:47 PM
Loving Snivy. The first thing that came to my mind was 'snide' and 'ivy', I didn't even think 'snake' lol. It's not smugleaf, but it's not bad. And hell, I'm naming mine 'Eugenie' anyway, so meh :3 Thumbs up!

Oshawott. Wot? (lol, be prepared to see a lot of that awful joke...) I keep calling it 'wash-a-ott' by mistake, which sort of makes more sense for a water otter...but whatever. It's cute because it's different. Thumbs up!

Tepig is the only one I have a problem with. Apart from sounding like an inarticulate fan's name for the pokemon 'teh pig!!!111!!! (-^-^-)' the whole 'tepid' thing is mucho stupido. It's a fire type, right? And unless my vocab needs a retune, I'm pretty sure that tepid means lukewarm. There should be NOTHING lukewarm about a firetype.

Oh, and renaming the region was just...augh. I can't speak for my fangirl rage. We've done fine with the japanese for 4 generations, there was just no need for this.

Anyone know how the other eng names are gonna be revealed? Are they released bit by bit, or come in one big lump??

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 2:01 PM
It's a fire type, right? And unless my vocab needs a re-tune, I'm pretty sure that tepid means lukewarm. There should be NOTHING lukewarm about a Fire-Type.

The poka part of Tepig's Japanese name does not convey a particularly warm feeling, although I'll admit it's a slightly warmer feeling than tepid.

Oh, and renaming the region was just...augh. I can't speak for my fangirl rage. We've done fine with the Japanese for 4 generations, there was just no need for this.

1. The Isshu With Pokemon Black and White would have been the most over used headline if/when any controversy about these games stirs up in the States.
2. The anime/fandom did not need hundreds of 'Isshu/Issue' puns.
3. Unova has a meaning and it's similar to the Japanese one.
4. Just because they never changed it before does not make this decision automatically bad because they did change it.
5. People complained about Houen to Hoenn and Shinou to Sinnoh, they were always going to complain about Isshu's inevitable name change/new spelling, no matter what NoA chose because 'they changed it now it's ruined'.

'So yeah.'

Will-powered Spriter
24th November 2010, 2:07 PM

And some randoms:

I don't think they're going to name Gear after a slang word for children, or a pocket/bag thing worn with a kilt.

I remember seeing Fledgeon (Fledge + Pidgeon) and Crocular (Croc and Ocular, reffering to it's eyes) being thrown around for Mamepeto and Meguroku.

Also, I'm willing to bet Emonga keeps it's japanese name. Pikachu, Raichu, Pichu, Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu all did.

Pikacu
24th November 2010, 2:13 PM
the thing how ever with hoenn and sinnoh is that the prenounciations didnt change just the spelling, Unova is completely different to Isshu, this is a completely new name.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 2:21 PM
@Will-powered Spriter: Those names aren't meant to be taken too seriously, :p Although Fledgeon and Crocular do work.

@Pikacu: And? It still didn't stop massive fan rage pissing out all over the internet about how the names were ruined forever and that it'd always be Shinou in random fandum's hearts. My point, as before, is that no matter what they changed it to to (and after 4 generations of some level of change for each name), people were always going to complain no matter what.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 2:21 PM
@Will-powered Spriter: Those names aren't meant to be taken too seriously, :p Although Fledgeon and Crocular do work.

@Pikacu: And? It still didn't stop massive fan rage pissing out all over the internet about how the names were ruined forever and that it'd always be Shinou in random fandum's hearts. My point, as before, is that no matter what they changed it to to (and after 4 generations of some level of change for each name), people were always going to complain no matter what.

SasakiThePikachu
24th November 2010, 3:25 PM

Fair enough, because yeah, there are always random purist morons out there who will complain about anything, just for the joy of complaining. They need to stop sweating the small stuff, agreed.

My point was just the simple creed of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is a big difference between pretty much translating the romanized japanese, which is what's been happening for over ten years, and FOR NO REASON AT ALL coming up with an entirely new region name. It's just so utterly pointless. I can't speak for all the other fans out there, I can only tell you my opinion, and this it - I'm slightly annoyed. I'm used to the pokemon getting name changes and I was prepared for that, but this...no. I don't complain a lot, mostly because pokemon has given me 12 years of joy and I don't think I have any bloody right to, but the needlessness of this just irks me a bit. I want to poke NOA and hold up a big sign with 'wwwhhhyyy? Making me remember 156 new names isn't enough for you ppl?' written on it. And Unova? It sounds more like a NASA craft reject than a pokemon region.

But I s'pose shall get used to it, like I got used to icecream dude *shrugs*

As for the 'issue' jokes, didn't even consider that until you mentioned it! But pokemon is already pretty easy to make fun of regardless, so I don't think that would have made much difference...

Hejiru
24th November 2010, 4:12 PM
I hate to be a bother, but can someone please link me to Club Daisuki's page that has the Sugimori art on it? I cannot read Japanese, so I'm having a tough time trying to navigate the site. Thanks.

I remember seeing Fledgeon (Fledge + Pidgeon) and Crocular (Croc and Ocular, reffering to it's eyes) being thrown around for Mamepeto and Meguroku.

*bows* Hejiru, at your service.

tmega90
24th November 2010, 5:12 PM
Hey everyone I found some cool anime style art that I thought you might like to see.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/tmega90/pokemon/ononokusu.gif
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/tmega90/pokemon/shikijika.gif

Dr. Leggs
24th November 2010, 5:22 PM
My point was just the simple creed of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is a big difference between pretty much translating the romanized japanese, which is what's been happening for over ten years, and FOR NO REASON AT ALL coming up with an entirely new region name. It's just so utterly pointless.

It really isn't utterly pointless, when you look at it objectively. That's just you not liking it. And completely overdramaticizing. When will people realize that GF is trying to seperate Unova and the fifth generation from the first four? It's not based on Japan; why give it a Japanese name? It's based on America. A Western name is perfectly understandable and acceptable. When you look at the other translations of Isshu in other languages, all of them are made to carry over the MEANING of the word, not the actual name; Nintendo is trying to get across that Unova is 1) new and 2) connected, which is what "isshurui" basically means, as others have said.

So no. It isn't pointless. It was intentionally changed to a Western name to communicate the more Western feel of the region, as well as to communicate the "One Kind/One New" idea easier to Westerners, and to distinguish it from the rest of the regions.

Luxrayess
24th November 2010, 6:24 PM
I can't speak for other places, but I'm pretty sure no one here cares about the Thanksgiving parade, as we don't even celebrate thanksgiving.
Hell, I might even be the only person I know who even knew there was a Thanksgiving parade that featured Pikachu, and my friends are all Pokenerds.
USA, I'll agree with, good publicity.
Elsewhere, not so much.

Oh, yeah. Forgot. Thanksgiving is pretty much a national holiday. XP Still, there's always the internet grapevine... Not that we haven't been apart of it, but this might reach circles of people that don't follow Pokemon as avidly.

US online friend: Hey buddy, guess what I found out at the Thanksgiving Parade?

British online friend: Thanksgiving what??

US online friend: You know, the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade?

British online friend: *looks it up online* Um, I guess so...

US online friend: You remember Pokemon, right?

British online friend: Yeah, so?

US online friend: They showed two new ones in this parade!

British online friend: There's more??

US online friend: Yeah, and there's going to be a new Pokemon game coming out next spring! *posts link to Youtube footage*

Grei
24th November 2010, 6:46 PM
Fair enough, because yeah, there are always random purist morons out there who will complain about anything, just for the joy of complaining. They need to stop sweating the small stuff, agreed.

My point was just the simple creed of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is a big difference between pretty much translating the romanized japanese, which is what's been happening for over ten years, and FOR NO REASON AT ALL coming up with an entirely new region name. It's just so utterly pointless. I can't speak for all the other fans out there, I can only tell you my opinion, and this it - I'm slightly annoyed. I'm used to the pokemon getting name changes and I was prepared for that, but this...no. I don't complain a lot, mostly because pokemon has given me 12 years of joy and I don't think I have any bloody right to, but the needlessness of this just irks me a bit. I want to poke NOA and hold up a big sign with 'wwwhhhyyy? Making me remember 156 new names isn't enough for you ppl?' written on it. And Unova? It sounds more like a NASA craft reject than a pokemon region.

Thing is, Isshu was broken.

Allow me to redirect you to one of BCVM22's recent posts (pay special attention the final paragraph)...

It [Unova] makes equally as much sense as Isshu did.

Isshu: from isshurui, Japanese for "one variety".

Unova: from some combination of unum, Latin for "one" or uno, Spanish for one and nova/novum/novus, [one of them is] Latin for "new" (seriously people, it's a dead language for a reason) or simply -va from "variety".

They were never going to have two/three games, four years of dubbed anime and thus an entire continent of fans all saying "the Issue region". It just wasn't going to fly. None of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn or "Shinou" sound like English words; Isshu does, very heavily.

Dracoste
24th November 2010, 7:00 PM
I hate to be a bother, but can someone please link me to Club Daisuki's page that has the Sugimori art on it? I cannot read Japanese, so I'm having a tough time trying to navigate the site. Thanks.

well...this (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_revealed_of_all_currently-available_Pok%C3%A9mon) isn't the club Dasisuke's page but it does contain sugimori art. Sorry if you only wanted to see the Club Daisuki's page because it has more HQ pictures or something like that.

Aurath8
24th November 2010, 7:06 PM
I just realised Ononokusu looks like the Leviathans from Planet Sargasso of Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. /no sense to anyone who hasn't played this game.
http://ratchet.wikia.com/wiki/File:Grunthor.jpg

Hejiru
24th November 2010, 7:29 PM
well...this (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sugimori_art_revealed_of_all_currently-available_Pok%C3%A9mon) isn't the club Dasisuke's page but it does contain sugimori art. Sorry if you only wanted to see the Club Daisuki's page because it has more HQ pictures or something like that.

Yes, I saw that page. But I was wanting to see the page that Bulbanews got them from.

WeWereGiants
24th November 2010, 7:33 PM
I just realised Ononokusu looks like the Leviathans from Planet Sargasso of Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. /no sense to anyone who hasn't played this game.

I thought this when i first saw Ononokusu, but when actually comparing the pictures they look totally different :/

Sakrey
24th November 2010, 7:56 PM

Mmmh, you mean the checksheets ?

Checksheet 1 - Male (http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/9/25/2978703//checksheet1_m.pdf)
Checksheet 1 - Female (http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/9/25/2978703//checksheet1_w.pdf)
Checksheet 2 (http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/9/25/2978703//checksheet2.pdf)
Checksheet 3 (http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/9/25/2978703//checksheet3.pdf)

Or you can find them here (http://www.pokemon.jp/portal/member/bw/present/quiz2.cfm) if you have a Pokémon Daisuki Club account (Maybe you will have to answer a little quizz).

Lance The Champ
24th November 2010, 8:05 PM
5th generation pokemon are pretty awesome especially the legendaries

R_N
24th November 2010, 8:08 PM
Ah, so that's where those came from, neat.

Shouldn't be too long until the official Pokedex is updated with the art, so we'll get unobscured high quality versions soon enough

Lorde
24th November 2010, 9:01 PM

I do see some similarities between that creature and Ononokusu (especially the massive tusks), but I'm not all that surprised that they look similar. There are so many other fictional monsters that look like Pokemon out there. Anyway, I don't really see the appeal in Ononokusu. They don't seem all that strong compared to the other new Dragon-types. I fought Shaga's Ononokusu and it wasn't much of a challenge (I beat it with Doreida).

Dracoste
24th November 2010, 9:28 PM
Ononokusu does learn moves that other Dragon pok&#233;mon don't usually learn, like: X-scissor, grass knot, poison jab, double chop, assurance.
however, it is too bad it doesn't learn dragon rush.

Aurath8
24th November 2010, 9:37 PM
Well, Shaga happens to use Dragon Tail. It has negative priority, the same as Roar, so Dragon Dance won't be as effective. It's also a weak move along with it's other weak move Assurance won't be doing much, slash too.
However, with a legend-like attack stat as well as Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance and Outrage he can really make a mess. He's no slouch either at 97 base speed and the only drawback among his stats is frailty when taking special attacks. His ability of choice, Mold Breaker, is, while situational, good at times, especially Levitators that think they can take an EQ to the face.
To summarise, it his ridiculous attack, typing, design and levelup movepool that attracts so many admirers.
@Dracoste: Dragon Rush is awful, its accuracy is abysmal. Poison Jab is bad for it anyway and it's spatk is awful for it's grass Knot. Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake and [insert random filler here] for the win.

Mr. E Goods
24th November 2010, 9:38 PM
Ononokusu does learn moves that other Dragon pokémon don't usually learn, like: X-scissor, grass knot, poison jab, double chop, assurance.
however, it is too bad it doesn't learn dragon rush.

;o; That is really strange. I wonder why?

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 10:08 PM
Dragon Rush's name in Japanese romanizes to Dragon Dive.

Often you'll find that Pokemon not learning an attack that seems really obvious or learning an attack that seems really out-there will have something to do with it a slight difference in meaning in its Japanese and English names.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th November 2010, 10:08 PM
Dragon Rush's name in Japanese romanizes to Dragon Dive.

Often you'll find that Pokemon not learning an attack that seems really obvious or learning an attack that seems really out-there will have something to do with it a slight difference in meaning in its Japanese and English names.

Dracoste
24th November 2010, 10:14 PM
@Dracoste: Dragon Rush is awful, its accuracy is abysmal.

Hmmm... I geuss it has. I said that because my Dragonite has it and it hardly miss and it's strong

OK, that's it! Unova is really going to be a total new beginning for me! No more brainless attacking! In the years I'm playing Pok&#233;mon I only let my pok&#233;mon forget those statt raising/lowering moves and only learn them attacking moves.
I'm always at my strategy best in the beginning, because you can't delete those moves yet.
From now one I'm going to put more though in my pok&#233;mon move sets. I already did one for a Chillaccino.

and, yeah, Ononokusu is really awesome.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the attack Guillotine, but that has even less acc. and is only really useful in double/tripple battles when teaming with the ability No Guard. And I've also heard something about beeing banned or something. but still it's special because not many pok&#233;mon learn it, however it isn't used very often.

Aurath8
24th November 2010, 10:19 PM
Well the only pokemon that learn it can fly or are the Rhydon and Aron lines. Not sure on the rock types but the rest make sense to why they learn it and why Ononononokusu doesn't.

Pikacu
24th November 2010, 11:23 PM
Well as it has been said before Unova is a completely seperate region and therefore many pokemon move probably wont follow past trends

LexSuicune
25th November 2010, 12:03 AM
I still don't understand what was the problem with the name 'Isshu'...

MetalFlygon08
25th November 2010, 12:05 AM
Ok the Drago dive thing makes sense, but it doesn't explain why Flygon doesn't learn Dragon Dance...

Also anyone notice Dragon Rush and Dragon Tail us almost the same animation?

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th November 2010, 12:36 AM

Unlike every other previous region, it sounds like an English word that has annoying/unintended implications.

And @Metal Flygon: that's just because GF hate Flygon :P

Grei
25th November 2010, 12:40 AM

The problem was that Isshu sounded much too similar to an English word, and so it would be strange to advertise Black and White as "Journey with Pokemon friends through Issue in Pokemon Black and Pokemon White!" Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh didn't sound like English words, but Isshu does. Therefore, it was changed into a name that retains Isshu's original meaning but doesn't sound odd to English-speakers.

R_N
25th November 2010, 12:42 AM

Because Isshu is pronounced as "Issue" and hey guess what NoA probably didn't want the region constantly referred to as such.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th November 2010, 12:54 AM
Exactly - you especially don't want to give opponents a free ride in games called Black and White, with the debut of obviously African-American characters (one even wearing an apron!! (I am aware her profession as a museum curator is why she does, but it's telling that they altered her official art), Hispanic characters, royal/medival-themed Pokemon (Jorlorda, Doredia, Doryuuzu, Pururiru, Burungel Shubarugot, Chobomaki), Baffalon, a tomb-Pokemon, a Pokemon who's diaper is a human skull, and a main plot that deals with abuse and Pokemon (animal) rights and abuse. And Isshu on top of that and you're just asking wankers to spew idiot all over the internets.

MetalFlygon08
25th November 2010, 3:59 AM
You mean they havn't already spewed all over the web?

R_N
25th November 2010, 6:00 AM
Exactly - you especially don't want to give opponents a free ride in games called Black and White, with the debut of obviously African-American characters (one even wearing an apron!! (I am aware her profession as a museum curator is why she does, but it's telling that they altered her official art), Hispanic characters, royal/medival-themed Pokemon (Jorlorda, Doredia, Doryuuzu, Pururiru, Burungel Shubarugot, Chobomaki), Baffalon, a tomb-Pokemon, a Pokemon who's diaper is a human skull, and a main plot that deals with abuse and Pokemon (animal) rights and abuse. And Isshu on top of that and you're just asking wankers to spew idiot all over the internets.

I don't really see why most of those would be an issue, frankly.

Also Vulchai wearing a skull diaper is the least obvious thing ever and brings questions of what the hell the skull is from

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 8:10 AM
http://img148.imageshack.us/i/629e.png/

I didn't realize that it's wearing a skull until I turned it over.

But now is the question: from what kind of thing comes the skull from? but, I think the skull comes from something with a big head.

Ophie
25th November 2010, 12:16 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the attack Guillotine, but that has even less acc. and is only really useful in double/tripple battles when teaming with the ability No Guard. And I've also heard something about beeing banned or something. but still it's special because not many pokémon learn it, however it isn't used very often.

No Guard only works if the Pokémon with it is either a target or a recipient of the attack. You'll have to use Skill Swap with a Pokémon with No Guard, then Skill Swap to the Pokémon you want to swap with, which requires at least two turns before you can start firing away.

And @Metal Flygon: that's just because GF hate Flygon :P

Is that the same reason why we've yet to see a Flygon plush from the company that makes all of the other Pokémon plushes?

I managed to get plushes of Drifblim and Stunky, and I've seen plushes for Cresselia, Darkrai, Delibird, Mamoswine, Magmortar, Electivire, Gyarados, Butterfree, and all sorts of other unlikely subjects, but even look on eBay and Amazon, no Flygon plush in this line exists--only weird messed up stuff which I don't think are official.

http://img148.imageshack.us/i/629e.png/

I didn't realize that it's wearing a skull until I turned it over.

But now is the question: from what kind of thing comes the skull from? but, I think the skull comes from something with a big head.

It's a Marowak skull. (Nah, not really.)

Pikacu
25th November 2010, 12:50 PM
The skull will probably be something like cubone with the skull being its mothers/fathers

SasakiThePikachu
25th November 2010, 1:48 PM
It really isn't utterly pointless, when you look at it objectively. That's just you not liking it. And completely overdramaticizing. When will people realize that GF is trying to seperate Unova and the fifth generation from the first four? It's not based on Japan; why give it a Japanese name? It's based on America. A Western name is perfectly understandable and acceptable. When you look at the other translations of Isshu in other languages, all of them are made to carry over the MEANING of the word, not the actual name; Nintendo is trying to get across that Unova is 1) new and 2) connected, which is what "isshurui" basically means, as others have said.

So no. It isn't pointless. It was intentionally changed to a Western name to communicate the more Western feel of the region, as well as to communicate the "One Kind/One New" idea easier to Westerners, and to distinguish it from the rest of the regions.

Okay first point - how was I 'overdramaticizing'? Christ, I ended my post by shrugging it off and saying I'd get used it it, not by saying I'd chuck myself off a bridge because of the grief of it all. Perhaps you should read what people say before you jump to reply.

Secondly, if GF were really trying to seperate Isshu as a region and not make it Japanese, then why, and I have to clear my throat in order to yell this loud enough did they give it a Japanese name in the first place?? I agree with your points that Isshu is clearly based on America, but if its original name was Japanese I don't see why they had to change that. Maybe they just could have given it a non-Japanese name in the first place then nothing would need to be changed, eh? That's what's annoying me.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th November 2010, 1:53 PM
I don't really see why most of those would be an issue, frankly.

Also Vulchai wearing a skull diaper is the least obvious thing ever and brings questions of what the hell the skull is from

They're not issues at all, of course. The point was that having those things (which I'm sure someone out there will one day complain about - remember why McDonald's has to warn us it's coffee may be hot) combined with Isshu leaves them open to easier attack and catchy phrases about the 'Isshu with Pokemon' etc etc. Doesn't matter the name could have been anything that sounded like an English word and it probably would have been changed.

Also, if memory serves, young Vulchai go out looking for armour to wear to protect themselves, but I'd have to re-look up the dex entries to be sure.

EDIT: Numerous logical reasons have been stated for why they might have changed the name. They could have kept them the same, they chose not to. Let's just move on.

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 4:20 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9681/629.png
About the skull diaper of Baruchai.
Baruchai is 0.5m high and the width of the skull is almost as high as Baruchai, so I think we can all agree it's about 0.4m. And I heave yet to see a human with that kind of head, so we can exclude an human skull.
So the requirements to which pok&#233;mon it belong to are:
it must have a skull with a width of around 40cm(0.4m)
and must be native to the Unova region.

whataffah
25th November 2010, 4:30 PM
Snivy - Seriously, Snivy? Do they think that fits to Tsutarja? Come on! It sounds like a coke-addicted Snover. And come on... Snover, Snivy. They are so low-budget this time.

Tepig - Tape-pig. This isn't a name WTF! I expected a pig would have a horrible name. Pokabu was still alright, but Tepig? Seriously, it's a Tape-Pig: Firestarter- Taper. It's Charmander in a pig-costume.

Oshawott - What have they done to this incredible creature... Oshawott? That's english? Mijumaru is less Japanese than Oshawott!

Pokemon Gen.1: Fantastic
Pokemon 2: Great
Pokemon 3: Good
Pokemon 4: Hmm
Pokemon 5: FAIL!

This fifth generation is nothing more than the brothers and sisters of earlier pokemon: 'Snivy' and Treecko, Heart-fish and Luvdisc, Bull and Tauros. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM TO GET MORE CROSSGEN EVOS? THE PREVIOUS ONES WERE GREAT! DON'T MAKE LOOKALIKES! CAUSE THAT'S HOW THIS WHOLE GENERATION LOOKS LIKE!

Grei
25th November 2010, 5:17 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9681/629.png
About the skull diaper of Baruchai.
Baruchai is 0.5m high and the width of the skull is almost as high as Baruchai, so I think we can all agree it's about 0.4m. And I heave yet to see a human with that kind of head, so we can exclude an human skull.
So the requirements to which pokémon it belong to are:
it must have a skull with a width of around 40cm(0.4m)
and must be native to the Unova region.

Hihidaruma skull?

Snivy - Seriously, Snivy? Do they think that fits to Tsutarja? Come on! It sounds like a coke-addicted Snover. And come on... Snover, Snivy. They are so low-budget this time.

Tepig - Tape-pig. This isn't a name WTF! I expected a pig would have a horrible name. Pokabu was still alright, but Tepig? Seriously, it's a Tape-Pig: Firestarter- Taper. It's Charmander in a pig-costume.

Oshawott - What have they done to this incredible creature... Oshawott? That's english? Mijumaru is less Japanese than Oshawott!

This fifth generation is nothing more than the brothers and sisters of earlier pokemon: 'Snivy' and Treecko, Heart-fish and Luvdisc, Bull and Tauros. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM TO GET MORE CROSSGEN EVOS? THE PREVIOUS ONES WERE GREAT! DON'T MAKE LOOKALIKES! CAUSE THAT'S HOW THIS WHOLE GENERATION LOOKS LIKE!

You're ignorant. You're very, very ignorant.

Sugimori and nine (I believe it was 10 total, maybe 15) all made designs for the Pokemon this gen. Sugimori told them to disregard past Pokemon and to make whatever they wanted to.
So they weren't intentionally making Pokemon that were similar to previous designs. They designed what they wanted, and a few happened to be alike to previous designs.

So the hell what? Buffaron and Tauros look alike because they're both bulls, but Buffaron has definite differences. Mamanbo isn't even based on the same fish as Luvdisc. Treecko is a wood gecko, Tsutarja is a snake (specifically, the entire line is representative of the snake in the Garden of Eden--they once walked on legs but were forced to slither on the ground by God, hence why Tsutarja loses it's legs by it's final evolution). Just because you're too simple to look past the colors of the Pokemon doesn't mean the entire generation is a copy of previous generations.

Look at Vanipucchi! Look at Agiruuda! Look at Zurrugu! Look at Kibago! Look at Minezumi! Look at Chillarmy! Look at Shubarugo! Look at Shimama! Look at Dokkora! Look at Pendoraa! Look at Duskan! Look at Ishizumai! Look at Zororark! Look at Aakeosu! Look at Kojondo! Look at Wargle! Look at Nattorei! Look at Shibishirasu! Look at Riguree! Look at Ranpuraa! Look at Gobitto! Look at Vuljina! Look at Aianto! Look at Kuitaran! Look at Sazandora! Look at Meraruba! Look at Victini!

ALL of these designs are completely new, and there are numerous others I didn't mention because they're related to the Pokemon I listed, or for other reasons. If you're going to make a claim as stupid as yours, you should at least know what the hell you're talking about. At. Least.

Yet another point is that in the world, there are many species of similar animals. Over 31,500 species of fish exist in the world. Over 8,000 species of reptile exist. Mammals? 5,400. Insects? 900,000 and counting. Do you scream at God every day (or at evolution, depending on what you believe/don't believe) because he made the polar bear when the grizzly bear already existed? What about the Cobra? I mean, the regular snake already existed, why the Cobra? Why the rattlesnake?

"DAMN YOU, GOD! YOU MUST BE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS BECAUSE ALL OF THESE ANIMALS LOOK LIKE OTHER ANIMALS!"

Don't be daft. You can find similarities in any of the Pokemon.

"Dialga is just a copy of Dragonite! So is Palkia and Giratina and Garchomp and Salamence and Flygon!!!1
Spoink is a pig, just like Swinub, which is like a pig!!
Yanmega is a bug that flies, like Beedrill! Phony!!
Ishizumai looks like Krabby, cuz they're both crabs! Same with Corphish! ARGH!
Totodile! It's blue! Like Poliwag! It's a copy!!!!!1
A walking plant? Stupid Tangela, Bellsprout was there first! Bellsprout's even stupider because Oddish was there before it as well!
We don't need Torkoal if Squirtle exists because there can only be one turtle in the world! Only one dragon and only one bug and only one shark and only one pig and only one rodent and only one walking plant and only one fish and only one spider and only one ghost and only one rock and only one fox and only one mushroom and only one bird and only one lizard! ONLY ONE CAN EVER EXIST!!"

Yeah.
Next time, think before you spew such ignorance.
(Credit goes to [B ][ /B] and [I ][ /I] tags for emphasis and my distaste for aggressive lack of thought.)

Will-powered Spriter
25th November 2010, 5:18 PM

How can names be an indication of budget? How does Snivy sound like a coke-addict? What does Tepig (Tepid and pig) have to do with tape? In what way is Tepig anymore like charmander then the rest of the fire starters?

As for the lookalikes, because this gen had no old pokemon, it has been stated in interviews they did not decide which designs to use based on past pokemon. There's not that many anyway.

nikohesus
25th November 2010, 5:25 PM

You, sir, are extremely stupid. I don't know where you get off at, even going onto these forums. If you were at least a little bit ignorant you would know better than to be a complete, idiotic troll. I am usually not such rude to others but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. The Pokemon fanbase is truly full of idiotic seven-year-olds who have no clue what they are posting. I've seen horrible posts, but this is the worst.

Aurath8
25th November 2010, 6:15 PM
You, sir, are extremely stupid. I don't know where you get off at, even going onto these forums. If you were at least a little bit ignorant you would know better than to be a complete, idiotic troll. I am usually not such rude to others but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. The Pokemon fanbase is truly full of idiotic seven-year-olds who have no clue what they are posting. I've seen horrible posts, but this is the worst.

I second that notion. As well as adding to take your nostalgia goggles off.
'It's Charmander in a pig-costume.'
Either we're looking at some dark humour or an incredibly biased and idiotic person. Charmander is an orange serpent with a flaming tail. Tepig is an orange pig with a black head and torso. Let's list the simalarities concerning design and type.
Fire type.
Orange colour.
Err, that's it. There has always been a fire starter and all fire starters except Cyndaquil are orange, meaning Charmander has no notable simarlarities with Tepig.
And his name is not a portmanteau of tape and pig, it would be called Tapig then. His name is a play on the word tepid while bringing in pig. Tepid means boring or lukewarm. On it's own, calling a fire starter lukewarm seems idiotic but leaves a lot of potential for it's evos' names to get 'hotter'.
So stop flaming NoA. Frankly, they are the geniuses here.

SasakiThePikachu
25th November 2010, 6:17 PM
Whoa. I don't agree with some of whataffa's points, but the hate is unecessary. Someone is not ignorant or extremely stupid just for voicing an opinion, even if it is one you disagree with.

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 6:18 PM
Hihidaruma skull?

Hihidaruma did came to mind, so it could be possible. And other Pok&#233;mon's skulls doesn't looks as close as that skull, as Hihidaruma's.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/nikohesus/Pokemon/630.png
Now the thing around barujina's waist, it looks like an upper jaw.

Tropios
25th November 2010, 6:24 PM
Whoa. I don't agree with some of whataffa's points, but the hate is unecessary. Someone is not ignorant or extremely stupid just for voicing an opinion, even if it is one you disagree with.

thats true but you have to say the reasond behind disliking them are truly ignorant

Aurath8
25th November 2010, 6:25 PM
Hihidaruma did came to mind, so it could be possible. And other Pokémon's skulls doesn't looks as close as that skull as Hihidaruma's.

Now the thing about barujina's waist, it looks like an upper jaw.

It's Bellosom's waist!

Could be another Hihidaruma actually, or Desukan. Maybe Crimgan.

He/she may be voicing an opinion but he/she is hating them for invalid reasons. A stated in my ealier post whataffa is hatin' on Tepig because he/she thinks it is based of the words tape and pig when it is in fact based off the word tepid and involves no tape at all. The explanations of the names are everywhere too so you could call whataffa ignorant.

SasakiThePikachu
25th November 2010, 6:32 PM
It's Bellosom's waist!

Could be another Hihidaruma actually, or Desukan. Maybe Crimgan.

I don't think even GF thought this through as well as you guys are :D

@ 705030

Heh, yeah okay, but I still say there's a difference between someone's argument being ignorant and THEM being ignorant. Sometimes clever ppl get p'd off and say dumb things in a moment of fanrage. It isn't nice to attack someone as being mentally challenged just because you don't like what they say. That's all :)

Tropios
25th November 2010, 6:43 PM

@ 705030

Heh, yeah okay, but I still say there's a difference between someone's argument being ignorant and THEM being ignorant. Sometimes clever ppl get p'd off and say dumb things in a moment of fanrage. It isn't nice to attack someone as being mentally challenged just because you don't like what they say. That's all :)

yeah youre right

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 6:43 PM

Hahaha :D. Yes I geuss, 'couse not a single Pok&#233;mon have teeth that can match those.

Grei
25th November 2010, 6:50 PM

I'm not hating, I'm pointing out just how stupid that post was (with gratuitous amounts of bold and italics tags).

And you're right, someone isn't ignorant simply because they disagree with someone else's opinion, but just because someone calls someone ignorant on a forum like this doesn't mean that everything is just an opinion. An opinion can, in fact, be wrong or flawed if it's based on incorrect knowledge (or a lack thereof).

What he said was hateful, had meaning, and above all, was untrue. Therefore, it is ignorance, and as forum-goers we are allowed to call out such blatant ignorance.

(Also, maybe I misinterpreted your post, SasakiThePikachu, but let me just say that Mental Retardation =/= Ignorance. Anyone can be ignorant, because ignorance is the lack of knowledge on a particular thing. I'm not calling anyone a ruhtard here--nobody is.)

I think Hihidaruma. I don't think it's Desukan and Crimgan I think would be too big. The lower jaw on Vuljina... I dunno.

Star_Five_Ledian
25th November 2010, 6:52 PM

(sarcasm)Damm you people don`t be mad at him let`s all be happy and say that the names suck,the pokemon suck,AND ALL THE GENERATION 5 SUCKS(sarcasm)

...anyway i think you are kinda stupid for pleading NINTENDO make more cross gen evolutions after the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge evolutions in gen 4

CaptainCombusken
25th November 2010, 7:04 PM
Firstly, he IS being an ignoramus and a bit of a troll. It may be his opinion, but it's also the opinion of somebody who doesn't really know what he's talking about How could you think Tepig was TAPE and PIG? O.o. If anything, I'd like to start a "Teh Pig" meme or something (Yes I do know what the actual name is, I do read Serebii's front page).
And as stated by Grei, The designers were told do do what they wanted. Anything at all. Of course there's going to be slight similarities. SLIGHT similarities.
Stop moaning. As I have said time and again, if you don't like the new games, or the new Pokemon, NOTHING is making you buy them. Gamefreak isn't visiting your house with a shotgun to make you buy the games. I've seen plenty of people who didn't buy and gen4 games, or even gen 3 games, because they didn't like the Pokemon, or for other reasons.

On a side note, I didn't notice they were SKULLS and BONES! I thought it was an EGGSHELL! Lol I am blind. But yeah, now I get it, and it does look pretty awesome. Gives them an even more "dark" feel to them. I'm gonna have to get one from my brother (providing he does actually get Black- I'm still trying to convince him to get the game.)

Goodness, this gen just gets better and better.

R_N
25th November 2010, 7:18 PM
I still say the snakes losing their legs weren't a reference to the Garden of Eden and more just a convenience.

Snivy is a smaller snake, and it would look odd if it tried to pose itself with no legs. Presumably, they also didn't want it to be the only starter first-stage to have no legs and blah blah blah. Janovy's body isn't much bigger and, honestly, without legs to hold itself up it probably couldn't curl or slither that well; the body is just too awkward.
Finally, Jalorda is so big that legs would be absolutely useless for it. It also goes with the whole "THEY WILL NEVER EXPECT IT" theme they wanted with the final evos.
I noticed almost every fake-Jalorda had it be either dragon-esque or still a serpent, but they made a point to give it two or more often 4 legs. And then we get one with no legs.

One would also probably expect this aspect of the design to be referenced somewhere, but it's not. The only thing that is, is the royal west appearence, which was the point. It's why Tsutaja has the fleur-de-lis on its back, they all look smug, are referenced as being snooty, Ja LORD a, and have those kind of royal-coat-esque collar on them. Janovy even has the starting of a crown that becomes more obvious upon evolution.
I also suspect that the team would have made mentioned of this in interviews or something; it's not like the bible and references to it is particularly taboo

Maybe a point could be made for Royals being so lazy they don't need legs but that's also kind of silly.

LexSuicune
25th November 2010, 7:19 PM
Question: Do we have the Dream World artwork of ALL of the new Pokemon? Which ones are missing?

nikohesus
25th November 2010, 7:39 PM
Normally I never would have been so hateful, but whafafa or whatever was being so ignorant, with information that is based on instinctive and hateful opinions that do not necessarily have a hint of truth within them. The reason Unova Pokemon are so similar to the others is because Unova is the Kanto of the second era of Pokemon, such as 2010 is the new decade, you can consider the similar for Unova. The Pokemon here in Unova are "evolved", and I mean evolved in the sense of organism evolution and not metamorphosis, from their past counterparts into completely new and original Pokemon. Opinions are great and all, but they can be really stupid if they do not have a basis in fact.

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 8:16 PM
Question: Do we have the Dream World artwork of ALL of the new Pokemon? Which ones are missing?

according to this (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/index.php?title=Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_Dream_World_ artwork&from=%2A531), the ones that are missing are:
Dokkora, Dotekkotsu, Roopushin, Gamagaru, Gamageroge, Aaken, Archeos, Vanipeti, Banirichi, Baibanira, Emonga, Kaburumo, Shubarugo, Shibishirasu, Shibibibiiru, Shibirudon, Oobemu, Furiijio, Maggyo, Kojofu, Kojondo, Crimgan, Gobitto, Goruugu, Komatana, Kirikizan, Baruchai, Barujina, Kuitaran, Aianto, Monozu, Jiheddo, Sazandora, Meraruba, Ulgamoth, Cobalon, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornelos, Voltolos, Landlos, Kyurem, Kerudio, Meloetta and Genosekuto

Ltrainer
25th November 2010, 8:47 PM
http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=2341

Scans from the new Pokedex book in Japan!

Lorde
25th November 2010, 9:04 PM
Now the thing around barujina's waist, it looks like an upper jaw.

I thought it was just a pelvic bone when I noticed it on Barujiina for the first time haha. Upon further inspection, it does look more like a row of teeth. It looks like Barujiina pick other Pokemon's bones clean and save them for their offspring and for themselves. The bone around Baruchai's waist looks like a diaper while the bone around Barujiina's waist looks sort of like an apron. What is it with aprons in this generation?

Kylesico912
25th November 2010, 9:46 PM
It seems that those Jaws look like Collected teeth connected to a bone. The teeth is probably from multiple different species such as Hihidaruma or Crimgan.

Dracoste
25th November 2010, 10:01 PM
It seems that those Jaws look like Collected teeth connected to a bone. The teeth is probably from multiple different species such as Hihidaruma or Crimgan.

Hmmm... It’s probably the only solution. Because I haven’t seen a Pokémon with an upper jaw that looks like it’s "apron".

SasakiThePikachu
26th November 2010, 12:29 AM
I thought it was just a pelvic bone when I noticed it on Barujiina for the first time haha. Upon further inspection, it does look more like a row of teeth. It looks like Barujiina pick other Pokemon's bones clean and save them for their offspring and for themselves. The bone around Baruchai's waist looks like a diaper while the bone around Barujiina's waist looks sort of like an apron. What is it with aprons in this generation?

Yep! That fits, considering that they are based on vultures and all...

Apron fetish ftw!! :D

^^Yoshinichi^^
26th November 2010, 6:46 AM
You are now aware of Tepig Boss, Solid Snivy and Revolver Oshawott. It's probably been mentioned before, though. I really love the starter names, especially Tepig. Tepid describes it's kinda warm, like how the poka in Pokabu is derived from a Japanese word for warmth. And Snivy, well, it's pretty much almost a direct translation of Tsutarja. ;P

Pikacu
26th November 2010, 10:00 AM
You are now aware of Tepig Boss, Solid Snivy and Revolver Oshawott. It's probably been mentioned before, though. I really love the starter names, especially Tepig. Tepid describes it's kinda warm, like how the poka in Pokabu is derived from a Japanese word for warmth. And Snivy, well, it's pretty much almost a direct translation of Tsutarja. ;P

the only problem is Tepig isnt warm.....ITS HOT

BCVM22
26th November 2010, 10:06 AM

Except for where it isn't. It's a Fire-type, certainly, but that doesn't make it hot. The "Poka-" in Pokabu comes from the Japanese for "the warmth circulating through one's body", which evokes the feeling of warmth but certainly not to the extent where one would call it "hot".

Tepig, tepid + pig, was the best they could do in keeping the same etymology in English. It'll be a long, arduous process filled with hardship, tears and eventually maybe some laughter through the tears like in every good made-for-TV movie about tragedy and life, but I assure you that some day, you will get over it.

Pikacu
26th November 2010, 2:12 PM
except for where it isn't. It's a fire-type, certainly, but that doesn't make it hot. The "poka-" in pokabu comes from the japanese for "the warmth circulating through one's body", which evokes the feeling of warmth but certainly not to the extent where one would call it "hot".

Tepig, tepid + pig, was the best they could do in keeping the same etymology in english. It'll be a long, arduous process filled with hardship, tears and eventually maybe some laughter through the tears like in every good made-for-tv movie about tragedy and life, but i assure you that some day, you will get over it.

its a figure of speech :/

LexSuicune
26th November 2010, 4:43 PM
I wish they'd released the names of the evolutions as well :/ I'm kindda worried for Mijumaru's evolutions names.

Pyrax
26th November 2010, 5:34 PM
So they weren't intentionally making Pokemon that were similar to previous designs. They designed what they wanted, and a few happened to be alike to previous designs.

And on a real world note, all the ecological nichés had to be filled somehow.
(Think about Koromori and Zubat, both are bat-like pokemon that live in caves.)

Grei
26th November 2010, 6:44 PM
I wish they'd released the names of the evolutions as well :/ I'm kindda worried for Mijumaru's evolutions names.

I don't know about Futachimaru, but I heard a name for Daikenki on Smogon that I really like. Shoalgun (Shoal + Shogun). I think it's really fitting.

For Futachimaru... I dunno. "Oshawarr" (Ocean + Shell (?) + Warrior)? "Osharai" (Ocean + Shell (???) + Samurai)?

And on a real world note, all the ecological nichés had to be filled somehow.
(Think about Koromori and Zubat, both are bat-like pokemon that live in caves.)

Exactly. People act as if only one species of animal lives in any given ecosystem. That's not realistic.

Check em
26th November 2010, 6:56 PM
Pantzlizard/Zuruzukin is a pretty powerful pokemon story-wise. I've also had success with him on my competitive team.

SasakiThePikachu
26th November 2010, 6:57 PM
Exactly. People act as if only one species of animal lives in any given ecosystem. That's not realistic.[/

*nods nods* Exactly.

Ya don't hear peopl complaining about weasels and stoats and ferrets and otters all looking alike, do ya? :D

I know the 'new version of old pokemon' ideas got some of the nostalgia-glasses-wearing fans a little (cough, understatement, cough) riled, but I loved the idea. Once I caught on what they were doing I made a game out of figuring out which pokemon corresponded to old ones as they were released...Gear to Magnemite, Tabunne to Chansey, Baffuron to Tauros, Koromori to Zubat etc. Contrary to finding it uncreative and lazy, I thought it was actually a stroke of genius. It is literally Kanto being reborn before our eyes :)

As stupid and cheesy as it sounds (yeah yeah, go ahead and throw stuff at me), I feel really proud and happy to be a pokemon fan at this time. Who knows how many decades it'll be before we get a 'rebirth' of this magnitude again? And there will probably never be a testament to the 1st gen again...I hope when all the b*tching and whining dies down, fans may realise how awesome this 'clean slate' stuff actually is.

Chimchar15
26th November 2010, 7:02 PM
its a figure of speech :/

It's warmth get over it. You whining about it all night won't change it. Man I can't wait until next year when this will be all over. Seriously people this happens every gen you don't like the names at first but by the following year it's just fine. I think NoA deserves some credit for keeping the names very close to their Japanese ones.

Epwna is a Sceptile
26th November 2010, 7:17 PM

Well, I have some ideas for Daikenki:
1. Senosha(Sensai+ Osha, like Oshawott)
2. Tessliott(Tessenjutsu(A martial arts including a war fan, like Daikenki's tail)+ Sea Lion + Otter)
3. As stated before, Shoalgun.

LexSuicune
26th November 2010, 7:35 PM
I guess they could do worse than Shoalgun... like...say, Oshawott...

cartert4219
26th November 2010, 7:43 PM
This is easily my favorite release since Red/Blue. I never would have expected it to be this well done. I was surprised like many other people when I learned that luvdisc wasn't related to Mamanbou ?spelling?. But it certainly was no cause for frustration and hasn't taken anything away from this generation. I agree with Sasaki about how cool it is that this gen is brand new but still mirrors red/blue in so many ways. The ever-present, three-stage, evolve by trade, rock type. The same goes for the three-stage, trade to evolve ghost and fighting type pokemon. The only thing I really have felt was a little weak in this version is the post-game gameplay, and it still isn't too bad. Thanks, GameFreak. This is what I wanted.

Slowemperor
26th November 2010, 8:28 PM
I'm also very satisfied with the refresh. I always waited for a game with pokés from one new gen only till post-game (like this one). I was damn tired of Zubats, Tentacool, Gastlies and Magikarp for Arceus' sake! This gen is the proof that holds the fact that poké might last for many more generations, as long as they refresh it once in a while. This is the biggest gen and by no means the worse. They could have gave loads of crappy new pokés like Bidoof, Starly or Cherrim, but they instead gave us great pokémon, better than many of the ones we've seen before. I would go ahead and say this is the most sucessful add to the pokemon franchise yet (this doesn't mean my favourite, I still love gens II, III and post-national-IV by this order (no, I don't like Kanto very much, it's bland and boring and I'm tired of it)). Actually, on a personal note, I was thinking of laying pokémon down and move along but then I saw this gen and I'm excited as the little kid I was when gens II or III came along.
There is one thing I don't like (which curiously was a strong point of Gen IV) is cross-gen evos. There are so many lines that could still be developed or branched, they could have at least gave us half a dozen of evos avaible in post-game only. I'm not saying Emonga or Mamambou should have been evos (Mamambou could have done better as one, though) but give us just a little twist in some lines.
To close, I must say this gen starters are very well accomplished. Snivy and Oshawatt... watt? wott? woot?... Oshawhatever are some of my favourite starter lines ever since (any of them individually is imo cooler than the three Kanto starters put together). Tepid not so much but I recognise him as good job, after all, he's as a cute little fire pig who evolves into a fiery chinese boar fighting demon (or whatever he was based on).
The good thing about this gen is that it really separate people who genuinly like Pokémon and recognise the loyalty to original vibe present, and those who genuinly liked Pokémon 10 years ago and nowadays are filled with nostalgia.

R_N
26th November 2010, 8:49 PM
I guess they could do worse than Shoalgun... like...say, Oshawott...

Oshawott is an amazing name and I will hear nothing against it.

Lorde
26th November 2010, 10:33 PM

Warm/hot, I consider them to be the same thing really. Whether hot or warm, you still know Tepig is supposed to be a Fire-type Pokemon, which is probably the most important fact about the Pokemon. Anyway, I love how Oshawott has sort of become more popular than Snivy recently. I remember everyone going crazy for Snivy before but now it seems like Oshawott is getting the spotlight since it's English name is unique. I also like the Oshawott jokes :3