PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

R_N
10th December 2010, 1:52 AM
If Basaro can do it hy can't others, the game doesn't crash becuase I have a Blissy with Regenerate (Purely hypothetical) if it was a pre-evo it would lose the ability upon leveling up, but it certainly isn't impossble.

or a better example, I was traded a hacked Luxio with levitate once, and pon evolving it just correcteditself to Intimidate.

Basurao can do it because his other form had it specifically implemented.

The game not crashing just means it was programmed well. But if I had to guess it's because of when you actually "transfer" the Pokemon to the High-Link and the ability to breed dream abilities.

Mario with Lasers
10th December 2010, 2:56 AM
I *think* they could do that with standalone or fully-evolved pokémon, as long as they say "hey guys it's ~one of a kind~ so take care of it, okay n__n". It could not be a forme-changing pokémon as it would lose the ability upon transforming (as its whole stats would be recalculated). I'm not sure about Game Sync, though.

What a shame that Deoxys can't have Regeneration anymore...

LexSuicune
11th December 2010, 3:39 PM
So here's a question to discuss over here.

Which one is your favourite Djinn/Mousketeer?

For me they have to be Virizion and Torneros.

AriasuGureisha
11th December 2010, 5:45 PM
I'm sorry if someone posted this beta pic before:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/dreamworldareas.shtml

Second pic, Pikachu in Small Forest.

Aurath8
11th December 2010, 6:00 PM
Out of the musketeers, Terakion is my favorite. I'm a sucker for powerful-looking pokemon and with the best movepool and offensive stats of the three it really is. I'm not much of a fan of the Djinns probably because they're not birds(I generally don't like non-bird flying types), but if I had to choose one it would be Landlos, pity it's so time-consuming to get though.

tmega90
11th December 2010, 7:08 PM
My favorite Musketeer is is Terrakion, he looks awesome, he looks really really strong too. If you count Keldio as one he is my favorite. I like how he looks, he is a cool event legendary, I like his typing.

My favorite Dijinn is Voltolos,he looks really cool, is my favorite color, and is an electric type and I can get him in my version that I am getting.

Grei
11th December 2010, 7:14 PM
I'm sorry if someone posted this beta pic before:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/dreamworldareas.shtml

Second pic, Pikachu in Small Forest.

That's a beta pic, made prior to the release of Black and White to show what the Dream World would be like. Pikachu isn't actually in the Small Forest (so far as we know).

R_N
11th December 2010, 8:08 PM
Which is utterly bizarre

Pikachu is nowhere to be found in the Dream World unless he's hidden under another point cap. PIKACHU.
NOT FOUND ANYWHERE.

Aurath8
11th December 2010, 8:27 PM
Which is utterly bizarre

Pikachu is nowhere to be found in the Dream World unless he's hidden under another point cap. PIKACHU.
NOT FOUND ANYWHERE.

Well, he has official Dream World art among many other pokemon that haven't been found yet. Even so, taking this long to find a measly Pikachu is quite odd of Gamefreak. But then again, when haven't they acted abnormal?

Rose Storm
11th December 2010, 8:27 PM
I don't like any of the Djinns, but Virizion and Cobalon are both cool. I think their official art kinda ruined them for me though. :(

R_N
11th December 2010, 8:29 PM
Well, he has official Dream World art among many other pokemon that haven't been found yet. Even so, taking this long to find a measly Pikachu is quite odd of Gamefreak. But then again, when haven't they acted abnormal?

Presence or lack of Dream World art only means if they can be transferred over to the Dream World

Aurath8
11th December 2010, 9:19 PM
*facepalm* What is the point of sending pokemon to the Dream World?

R_N
11th December 2010, 9:37 PM
*facepalm* What is the point of sending pokemon to the Dream World?
Seriously?
It's kind of the whole point? Can't really do anything unless you send one over?

LexSuicune
11th December 2010, 10:49 PM
Cobalon's official art is awful lol.

SasakiThePikachu
12th December 2010, 1:10 AM
I don't really like the new legendary djinn trio; a slight disappointment, considering how much I loved the birds and dogs....but then the last gen imps weren't really my thing either, so it's just a matter of personal taste. And although someone out there will just throw stuff at me for b*tching, I'm sorry, but I don't like that GF practically copied and pasted their art, changed a few colours, and gave them varying names. Ahem.

LAAAZYYY.

I get that they're supposed to look similar and like 'a set' but if the birds, dogs and imps can manage that w/o being carbon copies of each other, I don't see why the djinns couldn't. I just look and them and don't see a lot of creative effort *shrugs*

Now, the new version exclusive dragons? Me likey. Me likey very much. Beautifully designed, nicely executed, and just all-around awesome. I hope Kyuremu gets a banging storyline in Grey...or whatever the heck they're planning to call it. I haven't learned the names of the musketeers, but the My Little Pony gets my vote :)

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 1:42 AM
If you know the Djin's and their basis, then you shold know why they are so similar.

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th December 2010, 1:48 AM
GF has always been 'lazy'.

Re-using effectively the same tail.
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5130/tail.png
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8158/tails32.png

Or the 'head dot'.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1443/loligf.png

Or the same ears.
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5042/ears.png

Or the same fins.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2079/gyara.png

The same lips.
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1864/lipsz.png

Using effectively the same design gimmick in the same generation, 2 generations in a row.
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7659/samegimm.png

They've even designed two Pokemon who look like evolutions that aren't actually related before.
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3715/evolutionq.png

Now, the cloud trio are more extreme versions of this idea, but let's not pretend it's out of the blue.

R_N
12th December 2010, 2:04 AM
oh god it's like the fedex arrow but forever

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th December 2010, 2:25 AM
It's what I do, Snowy :P

So how's about that Ice-cream pokemon? People still hating that?

Ememew
12th December 2010, 2:45 AM
*Foresees potential comedic scenes in anime/manga(s)/fanfic(s) where Ice-cream Pokemon is mistaken by characters for actual ice cream*

Definitely like the Ice-cream Pokemon! It's not something I would use, but the ways it could be portrayed make me giggle.

EDIT: I may end up using it. Who knows? I didn't like Koffing/Weezing until I caught a shiny one and started using it . . .

cartert4219
12th December 2010, 2:47 AM
Yes. Loathe it. It looks like a crappy Dairy Queen mascot or something; the middle evolution that you find in the wild anyway. The first stage fine but I can just picture the second stage next to '99 cent Frosties' or something.

Pikacu
12th December 2010, 2:50 AM
Of course its the most unoriginal thing ever created

Varnani
12th December 2010, 3:36 AM
thanks for all the new info guys!
EDIT: and for the record, the 3-pointed fins are a very Japanese thing, so I wouldn't count it just yet. I mean, Godzilla has them owo

razz

Lorde
12th December 2010, 3:46 AM
So how's about that Ice-cream pokemon? People still hating that?

You know it S_M~

In my case, only their basic form is giving me problems. I think I might dislike Vanipeti a bit more now than ever before. Now that it's winter, I keep finding Vanipeti on Route 6 and near the Dragon Spiral Tower area, like all the time. I was trying to find some rare Pokemon, but those Vanipeti kept swarming around me whenever I tried looking for those other Pokemon. I dislike that little smile it has too, like it's trying to be cute in order to win people over. Well that's not happening because I refuse to give in to its charm. I'm also interested to see how it'll be treated in the anime and the manga. I'm pretty sure some character will stumble upon Vanipeti and will try to eat it. That would be funny to see and it would bring me great pleasure ♥

No offense to anyone who may like Vanipeti though. It just isn't my cup of tea :)

tmega90
12th December 2010, 4:14 AM
I like the ice cream Pokemon. They are really cool and are an interesting idea.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 4:44 AM
Vanipeti, Baniricchi ,Baibanira: Original? No. Tasty looking? Yes. Useful? Yes.

But when a double ice-cream cone SMOKES ice ciggrates(just look at it!), it is VERY original. /scarscam/

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 4:49 AM
Um do people not know what original means anymore? Never before have we had a pokemon based on an Icicle, that can double as an icecream, that makes it origial.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 4:52 AM
Um do people not know what original means anymore? Never before have we had a pokemon based on an Icicle, that can double as an icecream, that makes it origial.
*rubs back of head* Now when you said it, it makes sense...
But seriously, having Pokemon with two heads or more is overrated. Just count how much place they occupy in Pokemon.

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 5:00 AM
Vanipeti, Baniricchi ,Baibanira: Original? No. Tasty looking? Yes. Useful? Yes.

But when a double ice-cream cone SMOKES ice ciggrates(just look at it!), it is VERY original. /scarscam/

Wait, but it isn't a cigarette, it's a... well, something you put on an ice-cream and I'm sure someone knows its name.

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 5:05 AM
Well yeah, look at Dodrio, they often fight over food, even though it goes to the same belly.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 5:10 AM
Wait, but it isn't a cigarette, it's a... well, something you put on an ice-cream and I'm sure someone knows its name.
Waffle stick?
Well I was just saying it looks like a cigrrate to me as it BLOWS OUT WATER VAPOUR.
Look at the animation people.

Well yeah, look at Dodrio, they often fight over food, even though it goes to the same belly.
Well yeah, that just increased the insanity level in Pokemon. It's like it cannot survive as it is constantly trying to kill itself.

Grei
12th December 2010, 5:13 AM
Of course its the most unoriginal thing ever created

Please, let's not get confused here and make incorrect statements. That line is possibly one of the most original designs of the 5th Gen. People look at Pokemon like Ottaro and think it's more original than the Vanpetti line, when Ottaro is an otter just like Buizel. Vanipetti > Ottaro, where originality is concerned. Same with Floink and Snivy. (Not that those ones aren't original in some way, just that Vanipetti is undeniably more original.)

It's so adorable and would be my favorite Ice-type of the 5th Gen if it wasn't for Frigio. I love the thing and it's frankly very obnoxious that so many people hate it for no good reason.

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 5:16 AM
Floink? did I miss somthing?

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 5:16 AM
Please, let's not get confused here and make incorrect statements. That line is possibly one of the most original designs of the 5th Gen. People look at Pokemon like Ottaro and think it's more original than the Vanpetti line, when Ottaro is an otter just like Buizel. Vanipetti > Ottaro, where originality is concerned. Same with Floink and Snivy. (Not that those ones aren't original in some way, just that Vanipetti is undeniably more original.)

It's so adorable and would be my favorite Ice-type of the 5th Gen if it wasn't for Frigio. I love the thing and it's frankly very obnoxious that so many people hate it for no good reason.

They just need motivation from their tounges.

http://www.laymark.com/i/m/m063.gif (http://www.laymark.com)What? seriously, what the *bleep* is Floink?

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 5:20 AM
i bet they taste like ice, plain boring old ice..

Grei
12th December 2010, 5:21 AM

I have decided to call Tepig and Oshawott by their German names, because they are infinitely better than the English names. I don't hate the English ones, but after seeing the German ones, I couldn't completely like the English names.

I think I'll make a note about it in my signature.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 5:21 AM
i bet they taste like ice, plain boring old ice..

But it saves lives in Summer.

I have decided to call Tepig and Oshawott by their German names, because they are infinitely better than the English names. I don't hate the English ones, but after seeing the German ones, I couldn't completely like the English names.

I think I'll make a note about it in my signature.
Japanese names are infiniteX1000 better. Well, in my opinion.

Grei
12th December 2010, 5:34 AM
But it saves lives in Summer.

Japanese names are infiniteX1000 better. Well, in my opinion.

Sometimes. I mean, I sometimes like Glion more than Gliscor and I get the feeling I'll dislike whatever English name Hihidaruma gets (I'm hoping it's just Hidaruma or something). Generally, though, I tend to regard the Japanese names as placeholders for the English names, or--in the Unova Starters' cases--the names at their international revealing/release.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 5:38 AM
Sometimes. I mean, I sometimes like Glion more than Gliscor and I get the feeling I'll dislike whatever English name Hihidaruma gets (I'm hoping it's just Hidaruma or something). Generally, though, I tend to regard the Japanese names as placeholders for the English names, or--in the Unova Starters' cases--the names at their international revealing/release.

That, I must agree with you at some points. English translations sometimes- no, mostly, screw up the awesome names and so one.

BCVM22
12th December 2010, 5:45 AM
English translations sometimes- no, mostly, screw up the awesome names and so one.

Uh, no, usually they do the exact opposite, keeping the puns and/or etymologies found in the Japanese names as best they can. Claiming that the English names "mostly" screw up whatever is subjective at best and simply plain inaccurate otherwise.

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 5:59 AM
It also doesn't help that you people actually *get* the puns in the English names.

I mean, "Mitsuhoney" is honey bee + three + honey. How could that be better than "Combee"?

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 6:03 AM
Uh, no, usually they do the exact opposite, keeping the puns and/or etymologies found in the Japanese names as best they can. Claiming that the English names "mostly" screw up whatever is subjective at best and simply plain inaccurate otherwise.
Okay, I take "mostly" back and replace it with "sometimes". But this is proof enough that we should hand the translations to people who have a sense of fairness:

Zekrom, the Deep Black Pokemon.

Reshiram, the Vast White Pokemon.

I could blurt out countless of curse words right now, but I'll only say one word: Racist!

We need more resposible translators. Sigh....

BCVM22
12th December 2010, 6:14 AM
I mean, "Mitsuhoney" is honey bee + three + honey. How could that be better than "Combee"?

"Better" is subjective. "Combee" combines "honeycomb" and "bee" and possibly "combine" as well, which would mean it hits most of the notes that "Mitsuhoney" does. You would find that a considerable percentage if not the majority of English names and names from other localizations do an equally effective job.

I could blurt out countless of curse words right now, but I'll only say one word: Racist!

You're not serious. "Racist"? Really? Come on.

No, names and Pokémon classifications are not worse for not being 100% literal translations of the Japanese, which seems to be the case you're making here.

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 6:26 AM
If we're playing that card again, the 5th gen as a whole is racist, and whoever stated "renaming Isshu to Unova becuase people would start saying the racial Isshus" was right.

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 6:27 AM
You're not serious. "Racist"? Really? Come on.

"People who have a sense of fairness"? "Responsible translators"? What are you even trying to say here?

No, names and Pokémon classifications are not worse for not being 100% literal translations of the Japanese, which seems to be the case you're making here.

Seriously! The could have just used White Yang & Black Yin!

Well I do know that, but sometimes... just look. Just try and look. There's some "hints" in the games.

Lorde
12th December 2010, 7:17 AM
That line is possibly one of the most original designs of the 5th Gen.

I suppose that's true, since we didn't have any icicle/ice cream-based Pokemon before Vanipeti and friends. I still dislike Vanipeti though. I enjoy its evolved forms a lot more since they look silly with those big happy grins, but Vanipeti is another one of those Pokemon that tries too hard to look cute. It's not working, in my case. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings when I mentioned Vanipeti being eaten though. I fixed it so that people wouldn't think I was being prejudice.

People look at Pokemon like Ottaro and think it's more original than the Vanpetti line, when Ottaro is an otter just like Buizel. Vanipetti > Ottaro, where originality is concerned. Same with Floink and Snivy. (Not that those ones aren't original in some way, just that Vanipetti is undeniably more original.)

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that Buizel is an otter though. I've always seen it as more of a marine weasel with a floatation sack around its neck than an actual otter-based Pokemon. I love Ottaro and I positively adore its design. It may not be the most original, but it's way better than some of the other designs I've seen in Generation 5. Now that Ottaro has been brought up again though, I can't help but recall last May, when people thought it was an otter-snowman hybrid. That still makes me giggle. The only thing funnier than that was how some people thought Snivy was also otter-based.

P.S. I prefer saying "Ottaro" as well. Oshawott is so three weeks ago.

R_N
12th December 2010, 7:22 AM
I guarantee you that there will be a "is it food?!" mix up in the anime.

Hiun City Ice Cream looks exactly like it, it basically writes itself

Unknown Guy 960
12th December 2010, 7:28 AM
I guarantee you that there will be a "is it food?!" mix up in the anime.

Hiun City Ice Cream looks exactly like it, it basically writes itself

Ladies and gentlemen, we have found Ishhu/Unova's biggest scam.
JK! JK!

O Fortuna
12th December 2010, 7:50 AM

Seeing racism where none exists is in itself a form of racism. Besides, black people are not black and white people are not white. I am not the same colour as Reshiram and there are no black people the same colour as Zekrom, so your point is invalid.

I've been here for six years and I foolishly thought I'd seen all the stupid things people could be offended over, but I was clearly mistaken.

^^Yoshinichi^^
12th December 2010, 8:00 AM
I remember people thinking Furijio should be Ice/Ghost, but I think it's fine as it is. I do find it nice that we finally have a solid amount of pure Ice types now. It sure did take awhile. I don't hate the Vanipeti line as much anymore, mostly because I can take it for what it is. A silly, chilly snow monster. It's not meant to be something serious or "cool". Although I do wonder if it just has the appearance of snow, and not the texture.

yeminied
12th December 2010, 8:39 AM
I don't know why but I am just not a fan of Vanipeti and co.

I dislike their mouth and, especially in the case of Baibanira, seem extremely over the top.

In Baibanira's case it has that straw thing, crystals, condensation thing above it, two heads and annoying eyes and mouth.

I see the originality behind them but think Pokemon designs should be left to the Japanese.

R_N
12th December 2010, 8:59 AM
I see the originality behind them but think Pokemon designs should be left to the Japanese.
There's probably a number of different races working there (we know of at least 1 Korean and of course Turner), and for who knows how long (Turner aside)
He didn't just put it in on his own, he was given parameters, designed the Pokemon, and then it had to be approved by the rest of team/his superiors (like Sugimori). No doubt the Pokemon as we know it now probably went through some design changes or straitening up before finally being implemented.

yeminied
12th December 2010, 9:50 AM
There's probably a number of different races working there (we know of at least 1 Korean and of course Turner), and for who knows how long (Turner aside)
He didn't just put it in on his own, he was given parameters, designed the Pokemon, and then it had to be approved by the rest of team/his superiors (like Sugimori). No doubt the Pokemon as we know it now probably went through some design changes or straitening up before finally being implemented.

Ah, ok. I don't really know that much about the Pokemon design process, although I would love to know more.

I_Dun_Have_One
12th December 2010, 11:33 AM
Looking around Pixiv, I found a few retro versions of the Gen 5 pokemon. I have to say, they look MUCH more like pokemon than the official sprites. Especially Double-scoop-icecreamon. Maybe it's the styling more than what they are? Though, I'm not a MASSIVE fan of the new pokemon based on objects. Except Desukaan... He looks brilliant.

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th December 2010, 2:00 PM
To be fair, some of the sprites (Hahakomori, Dokkoraa, Tesseed come to mind) do a fairly poor job of representing what their official art shows at least in my opinion.

As for the Pokemon design process, it seems like at the start of development the designers visit zoos and aquariums and do research and are free to design what they like. (Except for the starters and box legends, probably, who get more attention paid to them). With the exception of the Pika-clone, no Pokemon design is allowed to get accepted for just being cool or cute - there has to be logic and reason behind their design. It seems that they get another designer to explain the design and why it is designed that way succinctly and if they are unable it is either excluded/discarded or must be redesigned for reconsideration.

We know that Symbolar (Shinboraa) had to be redesigned because it's original design was too striking. Sugimori worked with the designer to make it more 'Pokemon' like. And we know the basic idea behind Kumsyun (snot turned into ice) had been suggested by a designer for a long time. Nageki, one of Sugimori's own designs, was originally rejected in the 4th Gen development and was redeveloped along with Dageki for this gen.

As the dex takes shape they realise that certain types and or basic colors/tyes are lacking, or that certain Pokemon require counterparts (like Nageki) and begin requesting Pokemon to fit. Vanipetti and co. were requested to increase the Ice-type numbers and also fill the niche at the freezer containers. James Turner was only recently employed by GF at the time (just over 1 year ago) and is primarily a 3D artist (responsible for much of the cut scenes in the game) and speicifically requested to design a few Pokemon, if there was a need. He also designed Gobbit's line and Vulchai, among unnamed others. Other Pokemon that were 'ordered' were Tabunne, to fill Chansey's in-game and anime role (possibly designed by Sugimori), and the monkey trio, to fill the team of the 1st gym leaders.

After a design is complete and approved (presumably Sugimori/Masuda has final say) it is given to a game planner who assigns it a name, height, weight, pokedex entry and various other details (consulting with the original designer in the process). Presumably the other details (cries, base stats, attacks, evolution) is handled by other people, which might explain some of the discrepancies between the dex and the movepools of some Pokemon.

SasakiThePikachu
12th December 2010, 4:30 PM
Kyahaha. I love it when people argue that pokemon is racist. Go on. Keep discussing. Someone bring Jynx into the fray. And Lombre. I need a laugh :D

Erm, I disagree actually, that the vani line is original. Lol whoever was trying to remind us what 'original' means failed just a bit. To be original means a new and interesting concept, something fresh. Basing a pokemon very clearly on an ice cream? And then making it *shockhorror* an ice type? Someone please tell me how that is original?? Just because it hasn't been done in pokemon before does NOT make it an original idea. It's just a boring, not very creative idea that hasn't been done in pokemon before. Like the garbage bag line.

@ 4th Kira, yes, agree completely, the buizel line is much more based on aquatic weasels than otters. You only have to say the name: b-weasel.

Sabonea_Masukippa
12th December 2010, 5:14 PM
I heard someone arguing that Shiftry was racist once, too. Don't forget, people are dumb.

To the rest of your post; an icicle with ice heaped on top that looks like an ice cream is something original. I've never seen anything remotely like that idea before, which doesn't mean it hasn't been done, but I'd like to see it if it has.

And shock horror it's an ice-type? So are all the Grass-type Pokemon based on plants unoriginal? I mean really I don't even know what your trying to say here...It's an icicle therefore it's ice-type therefore it's unoriginal? Durrr...

All the arguments against it tend to be either that it's unoriginal, which is baffling, or that it's derpy (hellow, Slowbro), drooling (Gloom), or has multiple heads/faces heads (Doduo, Jihead, Magneton, Dugtrio) or was designed by an American/non-Japanese (Gobitt, Vulchai, Pokabu, others).

At least the Vani-line actually look like Pokemon to most people (even if they don't like them). Zekrom and Reshiram still regularly get called Digimon and they were designed from scratch by Sugimori.

Rokroad
12th December 2010, 5:31 PM
Looking around Pixiv, I found a few retro versions of the Gen 5 pokemon. I have to say, they look MUCH more like pokemon than the official sprites. Especially Double-scoop-icecreamon. Maybe it's the styling more than what they are? Though, I'm not a MASSIVE fan of the new pokemon based on objects. Except Desukaan... He looks brilliant.

Can you send the links ?

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 8:10 PM
"Better" is subjective. "Combee" combines "honeycomb" and "bee" and possibly "combine" as well, which would mean it hits most of the notes that "Mitsuhoney" does. You would find that a considerable percentage if not the majority of English names and names from other localizations do an equally effective job.

Yes, that's why people complaining the US names are "worse" then the JP ones are silly. Both do the same job; what makes people prefer one over another is that they understand the puns behind the US names.

And of course, the fact people get too used to the JP names. I admit I do that sometimes: I find "Garchomp" to be a horrible name due to the derpy "chomp" part, but "Gablias" also has this bite reference. I also like "Carchacrok" (its French name), even if "croquer" also means "to bite".

The difference is that I stopped caring when I realized I couldn't change the official names and that I could nickname whatever I wanted to.

Wait how can Deep Black be racist... It just means the blackness of its body is... deep...?

I am not the same colour as Reshiram and there are no black people the same colour as Zekrom, so your point is invalid.

Well, to be fair, I do have seen a couple black guys as black as Zekrom... But it's one in a million so who cares.

R_N
12th December 2010, 9:05 PM
Yes, that's why people complaining the US names are "worse" then the JP ones are silly. Both do the same job; what makes people prefer one over another is that they understand the puns behind the US names.

And of course, the fact people get too used to the JP names. I admit I do that sometimes: I find "Garchomp" to be a horrible name due to the derpy "chomp" part, but "Gablias" also has this bite reference. I also like "Carchacrok" (its French name), even if "croquer" also means "to bite".

I think a perfect example would be Likilicky
It's Japanese name is Beroberto/Berobelt (or something along those lines), which is roughly the sound of licking and all things licking.
So the English name is a good approximation of it except...it's, well, "licky licky".

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 9:16 PM
It doesn't help it could be also read as "icky", though.

Aurath8
12th December 2010, 10:10 PM

The difference is that I stopped caring when I realized I couldn't change the official names and that I could nickname whatever I wanted to.

Wait how can Deep Black be racist... It just means the blackness of its body is... deep...?

Well, to be fair, I do have seen a couple black guys as black as Zekrom... But it's one in a million so who cares.

I recently went to lagos, Nigeria. Everybody except about 6 people at the airport was black. Not one, NOT ONE person was as black as Zekrom. Unless I get a picture of their skin, I'm not buying what you said.
Black and White are actual colours that cannot be truly represented in a human skin colour.

R_N
12th December 2010, 10:17 PM
Especially white, since after a certain point you become so pale you're red

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 10:46 PM
I recently went to lagos, Nigeria. Everybody except about 6 people at the airport was black. Not one, NOT ONE person was as black as Zekrom. Unless I get a picture of their skin, I'm not buying what you said.
Black and White are actual colours that cannot be truly represented in a human skin colour.

But lol only six people isn't really much. Unfortunately, I have zero pictures (I wouldn't take pictures of those I saw in person and neither do I have links to the two guys I saw on the internet), but I'm serious about them !__!

And yes, it's impossible to be as white as Reshiram. Sooner or later, you become red/pink and then you're a Clefable instead.

Aurath8
12th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Well, they were pobably a very dark brown/bad lighting/something like that. Zekrom itself has some gery tones on him, such as his toenails.

Dracoste
12th December 2010, 10:51 PM
But lol only six people isn't really much.

He means that almost all people were black and that only six people were white.

Everybody except about 6 people at the airport was black.

MetalFlygon08
12th December 2010, 10:57 PM
Let's just agree the game's arn't racist, before BVCM get's on and tells us it isn't, especially since we sould all know it isn't.

Mario with Lasers
12th December 2010, 10:59 PM
He means that almost all people were black and that only six people were white.

That's me, brainfarting once again.

Dracoste
12th December 2010, 11:32 PM
That's me, brainfarting once again.

And that's me, correcting you once again ^_^.

But, yeah, Pokémon isn't racist. Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem just present Yin, Yang and Wuji.

R_N
12th December 2010, 11:35 PM
Wuji

*rubs forehead*

Dracoste
12th December 2010, 11:42 PM
*rubs forehead*

Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are known as the Tao trio (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tao_trio). Reshiram represents Yang, Zekrom represents Yin and Kyurem represents Wuji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuji_(philosophy)).

R_N
12th December 2010, 11:44 PM
OHHHHHHHHH
Wuji, my bad. I thought we were talking about something else entirely, okay that makes sense.

(Also calling it the Tao trio doesn't really mean anything. We were calling them the "Energy Dragon" trio a few weeks ago)

Dracoste
12th December 2010, 11:51 PM
OHHHHHHHHH
Wuji, my bad. I thought we were talking about something else entirely, okay that makes sense.

(Also calling it the Tao trio doesn't really mean anything. We were calling them the "Energy Dragon" trio a few weeks ago)

Well, calling them the "Energy Dragon Trio" would be better now, because Reshiram and Zekrom aren't known as the "Black Yin" and "White Yang" Pokémon in the English versions.

For all those years I thought that Yin was the white part and that Yang was the black part, but it's actually vice versa -_-'.

O Fortuna
13th December 2010, 12:25 AM
Let's just agree the game's arn't racist, before BVCM get's on and tells us it isn't, especially since we sould all know it isn't.

BCVM22 is very logical and I respect a lot of what he posts on here (mostly because he's consistently logical and fighting uphill against the rampant stupidity on here), but he's not the only voice of reason. There are many people on here who are logical, so we hardly need him to come in and silence a discussion.

Besides, anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that the games are not racist. Oftentimes, there are legitimate reasons to be offended by something. However, there are also times when a member of a minority will find offence in something completely inoffensive, purely because they were looking to be offended. I know this because I am part of a minority and I have been guilty of it many times, not to mention seeing it in action too. Look what happened with Jynx.

Sabonea_Masukippa
13th December 2010, 1:37 AM
The only Pokemon I could see potentially being a problem (or possibly to have its sprite edited to avoid a problem) is Buffalon due to the combination of Afro, yellow eyes and gold rings around its horns. It's 'just asking' for overly sensitive types to claim offense over especially in a game called Pokemon Black. I don't actually think it's racist at all, I can just see how (in the context of Jynx) NoA might decide to not give a crazy preacher who goes about looking for things to be offended by a chance to decry the series as evil/racist all over again.

I'm sure it will be fine/not get edited, I just wouldn't be surprised if they were overly cautious and it was.

Also, Shibirudon just overtook Morobareru as my favourite 5th gen design. Lol.

Lorde
13th December 2010, 3:28 AM
The only Pokemon I could see potentially being a problem (or possibly to have its sprite edited to avoid a problem) is Buffalon due to the combination of Afro, yellow eyes and gold rings around its horns. It's 'just asking' for overly sensitive types to claim offense over especially in a game called Pokemon Black. I don't actually think it's racist at all, I can just see how (in the context of Jynx) NoA might decide to not give a crazy preacher who goes about looking for things to be offended by a chance to decry the series as evil/racist all over again.

Buffalon baffled me briefly. I recall the day it was revealed and how we learned that it had an attack called Afro Break or whatever it's called now. I recall thinking that a direct reference to the afro hairstyle was a bit gutsy, but I don't think it's such a big deal anymore. Some people may find fault with Buffalon, but I don't think that NoA will have to deal with the backlash like they did back in 2000 when Jynx created some controversy. I don't think Buffalon will have its in-game sprite B/W edited either. I can understand why Jynx had some of her sprites changed and why Registeel had some of its sprites changed, but I don't think they'll have to go that far when it comes to Buffalon. I'm hoping it keeps its Japanese name in the English games too.

Anyway, Erufuun is quite lovely. I'm thinking about using it as my team's main Grass-type Pokemon since I might not pick Snivy as my starter Pokemon after all. I can't wait to capture my own in Pokemon Black.

Nibbles4Ever
13th December 2010, 3:49 AM
Buffalon baffled me briefly. I recall the day it was revealed and how we learned that it had an attack called Afro Break or whatever it's called now. I recall thinking that a direct reference to the afro hairstyle was a bit gutsy, but I don't think it's such a big deal anymore. Some people may find fault with Buffalon, but I don't think that NoA will have to deal with the backlash like they did back in 2000 when Jynx created some controversy. I don't think Buffalon will have its in-game sprite B/W edited either. I can understand why Jynx had some of her sprites changed and why Registeel had some of its sprites changed, but I don't think they'll have to go that far when it comes to Buffalon. I'm hoping it keeps its Japanese name in the English games too.

Anyway, Erufuun is quite lovely. I'm thinking about using it as my team's main Grass-type Pokemon since I might not pick Snivy as my starter Pokemon after all. I can't wait to capture my own in Pokemon Black.

I like erufuun to. I thought at first it was named elfoon lol anyways I really want to use one on my black when I get it so I'm choosing oshawot instead of snivy.

Sabonea_Masukippa
13th December 2010, 4:05 AM
Erufuun could theoretically be romanized to Elfoon or Elfuun. And yeah, it's cool. Too many Pokemon I like this gen.

(Also, thinking about it Buffalon is probably safe.)

DoktorS
13th December 2010, 4:06 AM
Er, hi, first post.

The guy in my avy is one of the Gen 5 Pokemon I like the most, but I don't think there's any I really DISLIKE, other than most of the legendaries. But I'm not a legendary fan, so that doesn't matter to me anyway. I think the generation as a whole is my favorite since R/B.

I was just thinking, a great English name for Baibanira would be Vavanilla.

R_N
13th December 2010, 4:18 AM
Too many Pokemon I like this gen.
)

I know, seriously?
I just start thinking about some of the Pokemon I may or may not use and I'm all "OH I WANT THAT ONE AND THAT ONE BUT ALSO THAT ONE AND I WANT THAT ONE THAT ONE IS GOOD TOO AND AND AND"

THREE GAMES MAY NOT BE ENOUGH

Ememew
13th December 2010, 4:38 AM
I agree that three games may not be enough. Even most of the ones I dislike, I could see myself using . . . at least there seem to be a large number of places to test out different team configurations this time (like some places in Raimon City).

Most of the ones I dislike, I dislike taken together (the Elemonkies being so similar to each other, for example). But individually, they're fine (and since I won't be putting them in the same team anyway, it doesn't matter). The only one I really dislike is the trash-bag line . . .

Mario with Lasers
13th December 2010, 4:58 AM
Passing by just to say I'm using Rankurusu and man is the ****er awesome. Of course, Gochiruzeru is better than it but lol Shadow Tag's nowhere to be obtained, so I have to keep up with the weird blob.

If only it wasn't so slow even against paralyzed opponents...

yeminied
13th December 2010, 5:28 AM
To be fair, some of the sprites (Hahakomori, Dokkoraa, Tesseed come to mind) do a fairly poor job of representing what their official art shows at least in my opinion.

As for the Pokemon design process, it seems like at the start of development the designers visit zoos and aquariums and do research and are free to design what they like. (Except for the starters and box legends, probably, who get more attention paid to them). With the exception of the Pika-clone, no Pokemon design is allowed to get accepted for just being cool or cute - there has to be logic and reason behind their design. It seems that they get another designer to explain the design and why it is designed that way succinctly and if they are unable it is either excluded/discarded or must be redesigned for reconsideration.

We know that Symbolar (Shinboraa) had to be redesigned because it's original design was too striking. Sugimori worked with the designer to make it more 'Pokemon' like. And we know the basic idea behind Kumsyun (snot turned into ice) had been suggested by a designer for a long time. Nageki, one of Sugimori's own designs, was originally rejected in the 4th Gen development and was redeveloped along with Dageki for this gen.

As the dex takes shape they realise that certain types and or basic colors/tyes are lacking, or that certain Pokemon require counterparts (like Nageki) and begin requesting Pokemon to fit. Vanipetti and co. were requested to increase the Ice-type numbers and also fill the niche at the freezer containers. James Turner was only recently employed by GF at the time (just over 1 year ago) and is primarily a 3D artist (responsible for much of the cut scenes in the game) and speicifically requested to design a few Pokemon, if there was a need. He also designed Gobbit's line and Vulchai, among unnamed others. Other Pokemon that were 'ordered' were Tabunne, to fill Chansey's in-game and anime role (possibly designed by Sugimori), and the monkey trio, to fill the team of the 1st gym leaders.

After a design is complete and approved (presumably Sugimori/Masuda has final say) it is given to a game planner who assigns it a name, height, weight, pokedex entry and various other details (consulting with the original designer in the process). Presumably the other details (cries, base stats, attacks, evolution) is handled by other people, which might explain some of the discrepancies between the dex and the movepools of some Pokemon.

Gee, thank you for the explanation. I wasn't hinting for you to explain more, I wouldn't have thought anyone would know so much about the design process. Everything you said makes sense.

evilyowling
13th December 2010, 6:56 AM
You know most pokemon in the Fift Gen I thought would look better but they are not I'd say the old pokemon look better. But the new ones are new so everyone wants one. I guess Pokemon was running out of ideas.... But I still think most of the fifth gen pokemon are cool enough. Especially the Sazandora and the Wargle.

R_N
13th December 2010, 8:04 AM
You know most pokemon in the Fift Gen I thought would look better but they are not I'd say the old pokemon look better.
What's wrong with how the new ones look?

But the new ones are new so everyone wants one.
Partially true, I suppose. Kind of helps their the only ones available in the main game.

I guess Pokemon was running out of ideas....
lol

But I still think most of the fifth gen pokemon are cool enough. Especially the Sazandora and the Wargle.
Yeah they're pretty neat. A shame they're a bit late game though.

cartert4219
13th December 2010, 9:30 AM
I LOVE this generation's pokemon. I am still hoping Mr. Icecream grows on me but other than that I can't say there is a single line that I am on the fence over. I have been whining quite obnoxiously for years over how terribly GameFreak had shafted grass types but boy did they make me happy this time around! And is it just me, or does anyone else think that Kojondo is a really creative idea?

RitterCat
13th December 2010, 1:13 PM
Anyway, it's not as if White is regarded as *better* than Black, or that Black can only be played in certain areas, or that there is no breeding in Black, or that Reshiram is superior to Zekrom, or that the only Pokemon you can find in Black is Zuruggo and Zuzurukin, or that you can't earn Pokedollars in Black, or that Steel types are renamed "steal" types in Black, or that Grass types are referred to as "weed" in Black, etcetera etcetera.

So really, I don't see why Black and White is called racist. (btw add more things that would happen if fifth gen was actually racist)

Sabonea_Masukippa
13th December 2010, 1:18 PM
What's with Zuruggu and Zuruzukin being mentioned? How would they even come up in a mention of racism?

EDIT: I know you don't think they are racist, I just don't see how they could even be misconstrued that way?

RitterCat
13th December 2010, 1:21 PM
What's with Zuruggu and Zuruzukin being mentioned? How would they even come up in a mention of racism?

Well no-one's really been talking about it but, you know, thug, gangsta, pants hanging down, mohawk... Meh, your probably right

BCVM22
13th December 2010, 1:23 PM
(btw add more things that would happen if fifth gen was actually racist)

Please don't. The "discussion" is completely, totally and entirely without merit.

SasakiThePikachu
13th December 2010, 2:41 PM
Argh. I'm so glad someone else said that. I loved so many of the pokemon in 4th gen that I ended up with two copies of platinum and two copies of SS, because I *hate* deleting games when I'm done with them (ze badges!! T___T), so I just have to start from scratch on a new cart. When 156 of these awesome new critters were released in 5th gen, a part of my brain just dribbled down my neck. Yeah, I'm gonna need more than 3 games to train everything I want. I have about 7 different teams planned. It's infuriating!! Curse the 6 pokemon rule!!!!!

@ SM, regarding the vani line, I just find the idea of an ice-type pokemon based on an ice cream to be highly unoriginal. The reason I pointed out its typing was because I felt it added to the unoriginality. Maybe if they'd made it a ghost type, I dunno, some kind of spirit that had possessed an ice cream cone and made it come alive...something like that...that would at least show some points for creativity. But just a smiling, derpy ice cream cone? No. Not original in my book. I do find some grass types original...chikorita's line, for example. I mean, what the hell is that little darlin supposed to BE? She's like what would happen if a dinosaur had sex with a plant. She's much more original than, say, cacturne. Who is based off a cactus, and not afraid to flaunt it. I'm not saying I don't love some unoriginal pokemon. But I am saying I don't find them, well, original. Lol :) Pokemon is pocket monsters...and what I dislike is when they move more away from the 'monster', and focus the design too much on what the pokemon is supposed to resemble in the real world. They stop being monsterish and start looking like silly mascots. To me, at least.

Ah, the racism discussion goes on. If you predicted this was going to kick off from the very second that they told us the games were gonna be called Black and White, raise your hand. *sighs heavily and raises hand*

Pikacu
13th December 2010, 2:59 PM
Im sorry wouldnt it be easier to just make the team on the same game and rotate your team rather than spending more money on something you have. i also share you points on the ice cream it annoys the hellout of me by far it is the biggest let down of the new generation. giving the name balck and white to anything will almost certainly cause some racist things so if people didnt see it coming they are pretty thick

Lucas.G
13th December 2010, 3:10 PM
Which game is better, black or white?

Endless
13th December 2010, 5:09 PM
@ SM, regarding the vani line, I just find the idea of an ice-type pokemon based on an ice cream to be highly unoriginal. The reason I pointed out its typing was because I felt it added to the unoriginality. Maybe if they'd made it a ghost type, I dunno, some kind of spirit that had possessed an ice cream cone and made it come alive...something like that...that would at least show some points for creativity. But just a smiling, derpy ice cream cone? No. Not original in my book. I do find some grass types original...chikorita's line, for example. I mean, what the hell is that little darlin supposed to BE? She's like what would happen if a dinosaur had sex with a plant. She's much more original than, say, cacturne. Who is based off a cactus, and not afraid to flaunt it. I'm not saying I don't love some unoriginal pokemon. But I am saying I don't find them, well, original. Lol :) Pokemon is pocket monsters...and what I dislike is when they move more away from the 'monster', and focus the design too much on what the pokemon is supposed to resemble in the real world. They stop being monsterish and start looking like silly mascots. To me, at least.

I do not think a Double ice cream cone/smiley/icicle hybrid is unoriginal. And how is Chikorita more original. It is a leaf/sauropod hybrid with sort neck. And it is quite obvious that an ice cream cone is ice type. The same way as everything with plants are grass, everything with flames are fire and most fish is water. By your logic, would probably more than 50% of all pokemon be unoriginal(everything from raticate to kabuto to heracross to cacturne etc)
However it is your opinion but it is still wrong to call them unoriginal, and remember many of the pokemon that might look "original" is extremely close to creatures in myths.

Chibi_Muffin
13th December 2010, 5:41 PM
I don't mind that some Pokémon look close to animals. It's variety that counts. I'm not gonna get into a huge debate about this, so this is all I'm gonna say: I really like Bivanilla. I am going to catch one and call her Gelato. You don't have to. You can hate the thing and Flamethrower every one you see for all I care. It's opinion. Just don't flame me because I like the thing - imo, I think Bivanilla is original because who else would do an ice cream monster. Just saying.

As for the which is better thing, I think it depends. I think Black is geared towards training and White towards catching because of Black City and White Forest. One of my all time favourites - Ranculus - is in White, but three Pokémon I like (but not as much) - Erufuun, Vulxina and Reshiram - are only in Black. I think it depends on what your favourite Pokémon are really. Personally I'm getting Black, but trading a Monmen with my bro for my darling Uniran. =]

Dracoste
13th December 2010, 5:49 PM
Which game is better, black or white?

That totally depends on what you like,

Exclusive to Black:Reshiram, Black city, Monmen line, Gothimu line, Baruchai line, Tornelos, Shaga, and some other things.

Exclusive to White:Zekrom, White forrest, Churine line, Yuniran line, Washibon line, Voltolos, Iris, and some other things.

The one is not really "better" than the other. The version that you choose just depents on what you like.

(Oh, and a tip for your signature, Lucas. G, put that pic in a spoiler tag, cause it's huge)

JolteonBlitz27
13th December 2010, 6:51 PM
Im gunna get white because I like the exscusive pokemon in that one better plus wild porygon=win ;p

Lorde
13th December 2010, 8:58 PM

You've just inspired my avatar and signature, thank you.

Anyway, I've changed my mind about Yabukuron completely. I remember bashing it because I thought it looked so "unoriginal" back when we first saw its sprite and stuff. I saw it in the anime recently and it actually looked pretty cute. Not completely charming like Oshawott or Zorua, but it had a certain je ne sais quoi. I just can't help but like it a little more. I also like its Ken Sugimoari artwork now that I've taken a good look at it. This (http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/SammyOak/pkm__kamina_coolness_by_bleulfinnegan-d31zwb3.png) image has also helped a bit :p

R_N
13th December 2010, 9:11 PM
I want to like the trashbags, really I do.
I love the idea and the designs.

But they seriously make me ill when I see them in motion or look at them for too long.

Mario with Lasers
13th December 2010, 9:49 PM
The trashbags are awesome.

But by the heavens, couldn't they have a better offensive movepool? 95 Attack with Explosion, Rock Blast and Gunk Shot, and 60 Base Sp. Attack with Thunderbolt, Focus Blast and Psychic... Learning both Spikes, it's kinda workable, but it's difficult not to be a sitting duck (both in-game and competitively).

RitterCat
13th December 2010, 10:47 PM
Personally, I really like the trash-mons. They're inventive with a clever design (garbage flowing from tears for hands!) and Yaburukon is really cute. Also, to all haters, do you hate Grimer and Muk? At least the trash-mons keep most of the icky stuff in the bag. Grimer and Muk are just pure sludge. And if looking at their animation makes you feel sick, do you retch while watching Ash's Muk engulf Professor Oak in the early seasons?

cartert4219
13th December 2010, 10:57 PM
I love me the big shiny trashbag. He looks like someone threw away a bunch of Skittles. :)

Rose Storm
13th December 2010, 11:02 PM
On the Vaivanilla topic, I like the idea of a strong, special based Ice-type... but really not the ice cream. Froslass is still my favourite Ice type. <3

And the trash bags repulse me. Iwaparesu is pretty awful too, but it's a nice concept.

Ememew
13th December 2010, 11:12 PM
The first form of the trash Pokemon is cute enough, but the evolved form . . . it's not "ugly" or anything, but it's not my cup of tea. One Pokemon I dislike out of the largest generation yet is not bad at all.

Even if I can't see myself using the Ice-cream, I don't mind it (it's sort of funny/cute). I may put it on a theme-team . . . never mind, I think I will use it after all.

Like I said, even the ones I'm not thrilled about I can still see myself using. Overall, this gen did a pretty good job.

EDIT: I just realized that the TRASH Pokemon learn RECYCLE. lol

yeminied
13th December 2010, 11:29 PM
I will admit that Yabukuron has grown on me after seeing it's Sugimori art and the anime but it's evolution really sickens me.
I think it's because it has those maggot looking things coming out of its hands. I really do not like maggots at all so having them on a Pok&#233;mon does not bode well with me.

Lorde
13th December 2010, 11:35 PM
I think it's because it has those maggot looking things coming out of its hands. I really do not like maggots at all so having them on a Pok&#233;mon does not bode well with me.

That maggot-looking thing on Dasutodasu's left hand appears to be a rope of some kind, that extents along its entire left arm. It doesn't look like an actual maggot if you look closely enough. Its right hand appears to have three tubes of some sort though; I wonder what those are supposed to be (they look like macaroni). I don't really see much appeal in Dasutodasu either, but it looks harmless enough. I really dislike its in-game cry for some reason. I can't really explain it, but it has nothing on Yabukuron's cry.

bugcatchersdream
14th December 2010, 12:00 AM
According to Bulbapedia, they're actually pieces of piping.

SasakiThePikachu
14th December 2010, 12:06 AM
@ Pikacu: you ever tried raising more than one team on one game and expecting good results? With the VS seeker it's hard. W/o the VS seeker it's f*cking impossible. And if you have more than one game, you get extra TMs and extra legendaries to use as trade collateral. It's pretty sweet, actually. I'd recommend it. Especially if you can rent the game from a local store and then just delete and send it back when you've traded over everything you want to one of your games.

@Lucas, sweet Jesus, please put that in a spoiler tag. You nearly put my eye out.

@ Endless...no, not at all. I guess however that finding originality in something really is a matter of personal taste, so I didn't really expect anyone to agree or even understand. Put it this way: I find Sunflora less original than Vileplume, because (to me, at least) Sunflora is just a sunflower with a smiley face slapped on, while Vileplume, despite yes, being based on a flower, is clearly a funny litle monster with flower petals on its head. See the difference? No? Just me? :D And the pokemon that are close to myths I often find the most creative. Not all myths have a visual basis (Arceus -god!) so GF really had to use their imaginations on those pokes. The concept might not be original, but the designs sure as heck are. The djinns being the exception to this...

@ chibi, I'm not going to flame you, buddy. I'd never hate on anyone for liking a poke - we all have different tastes. I might catch the first of the vani line myself. It's obscenely cute, isn't it? :) It's only when the thing evolves that I want to scream 'blegh!' and fling my DS away.

The garbage bags are growing on me for sheer novelty value. That, and how gross they are. I might name one Oscar, in memory of my favourite Grouch :)

XXD17
14th December 2010, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm sorry if my posts are a odd...anyways, has anyone noticed the difference between Furijio's sprite and its sugimori art ? It seems its sugimori art lacks some bubbles that make up its vapor beard...this just came to mind because I recently caught one and am using it as a pretty good hazer...

Grei
14th December 2010, 1:09 AM

It isn't ice cream, though. None of the Vanipetti haters seem to get this: it is not ice cream. It's a stalactite, covered in ice and snow in a way that manages to resemble an ice cream cone. That's incredibly creative and original.

Speaking of which: This is the definition of original (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/original).

2. new; fresh; inventive; novel: an original way of advertising.
3. arising or proceeding independently of anything else: an original view of history.
5. created, undertaken, or presented for the first time: to give the original performance of a string quartet.

Original is not synonymous with "cool," or "interesting," or anything else you all seem to be taking the word to mean. If something is original, it is creative, imaginative; something one wouldn't immediately think of.

Nobody would have thought of a stalactite resembling an ice cream cone.

And honestly? It shouldn't be Ice-type? There's a point where the Pokemon designers know to stop throwing every unexpected twist into a Pokemon and make it feel like a complete, cohesive being. A stalactite would make sense as a Rock-type, but since it's covered in ice and snow, it's an Ice-type. It can't be Ghost-type because it's not an animated ice cream cone. They couldn't just slap on some random element like Fire or Poison or something because that would completely ruin the logical sense the designers put into each Pokemon. Every part of each Pokemon is deliberate--their typing, their shape, their color, their height and weight, the moves they learn--all of it creatively relates to the species' basis. Saying it should be a different type simply because "Ice-tying on a Pokemon that resembles an Ice Cream Cone is boring" is stupid.

And if you dislike when Pokemon resemble real-life animals, you must hate the first Gen. Personally, I find it better when they resemble animals--it makes them more believable. If I want to tame otherworldly creatures that clearly look like freakish monsters, I'll play Digimon or Monster Rancher or something. Pokemon has always been about creatures that seem believable to some extent, and that's what's best in my opinion.

bugcatchersdream
14th December 2010, 1:29 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here so I'm sorry if my posts are a odd...anyways, has anyone noticed the difference between Furijio's sprite and its sugimori art ? It seems its sugimori art lacks some bubbles that make up its vapor beard...this just came to mind because I recently caught one and am using it as a pretty good hazer...
Probably because it would be almost impossible to see the mustache on white paper.
Also...
It's much better as a Special Sweeper;)

XXD17
14th December 2010, 1:42 AM
Cool thanx...I originally thought it could retract them into its mouth or something...and I definitely agree that its a great special sweeper given its speed and special attack but its move pool is a bit limited so I use it to haze special sweepers/ tanks ,like desukaan or suicune, that try to set up calm minds...

SasakiThePikachu
14th December 2010, 1:46 AM
It isn't ice cream, though. None of the Vanipetti haters seem to get this: it is not ice cream. It's a stalactite, covered in ice and snow in a way that manages to resemble an ice cream cone. That's incredibly creative and original.

Speaking of which: This is the definition of original (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/original).

Original is not synonymous with "cool," or "interesting," or anything else you all seem to be taking the word to mean. If something is original, it is creative, imaginative; something one wouldn't immediately think of.

Nobody would have thought of a stalactite resembling an ice cream cone.

And honestly? It shouldn't be Ice-type? There's a point where the Pokemon designers know to stop throwing every unexpected twist into a Pokemon and make it feel like a complete, cohesive being. A stalactite would make sense as a Rock-type, but since it's covered in ice and snow, it's an Ice-type. It can't be Ghost-type because it's not an animated ice cream cone. They couldn't just slap on some random element like Fire or Poison or something because that would completely ruin the logical sense the designers put into each Pokemon. Every part of each Pokemon is deliberate--their typing, their shape, their color, their height and weight, the moves they learn--all of it creatively relates to the species' basis. Saying it should be a different type simply because "Ice-tying on a Pokemon that resembles an Ice Cream Cone is boring" is stupid.

And if you dislike when Pokemon resemble real-life animals, you must hate the first Gen. Personally, I find it better when they resemble animals--it makes them more believable. If I want to tame otherworldly creatures that clearly look like freakish monsters, I'll play Digimon or Monster Rancher or something. Pokemon has always been about creatures that seem believable to some extent, and that's what's best in my opinion.

See my earlier post where I stress that I do not hate unoriginal pokemon. I just find them unoriginal. And again, see my previous post where I stress that I find a difference, and yes it is nitpicky but that's just me, between pokemon that are based on animals in a creative, original way, and pokemon that GF just seem to have nicked from the animal/plant kingdom and stuck a silly face/arms/a tail on. Squirtle? Yes, unoriginal in my opinion. But it becomes Blastoise, which is one hell of a freaky tortoise with cannons coming out of his shell, and all is forgiven. That, to me, is original.

But I gotta say: "Ice-typing on a Pokemon that resembles an Ice Cream Cone is boring" is not stupid. I see your point, but I just found the typing of the vani line to be a prediactable disappointment. But again, that's just me.

Man, I'll shut up about this originality lark now. I'm scared of starting a riot :P

XXD17
14th December 2010, 4:08 AM
Another pokemon that has me asking questions is Kerudio...When I first saw it, I didn't really get the "my little pony" reaction everyone else got. Instead, I saw it as a weird unicorn mixed with a kirin...due to further scrutinization I can see how its blocky legs can give the "my little pony" vibe but after looking at its horn, those ridges above its eyes, its cocked tail and that red mane, I felt it sort of resembled a kirin, a japanese unicorn that looks like a mix between a horse and a dragon. I know Kerudio doesn't look the dragon part (no fangs or scales) but I still think it may be a kirin, any thoughts ?

Lorde
14th December 2010, 4:16 AM
Another pokemon that has me asking questions is Kerudio...When I first saw it, I didn't really get the "my little pony" reaction everyone else got. Instead, I saw it as a weird unicorn mixed with a kirin...due to further scrutinization I can see how its blocky legs can give the "my little pony" vibe but after looking at its horn, those ridges above its eyes, its cocked tail and that red mane, I felt it sort of resembled a kirin, a japanese unicorn that looks like a mix between a horse and a dragon. I know Kerudio doesn't look the dragon part (no fangs or scales) but I still think it may be a kirin, any thoughts ?

I admit that I used to think Keldeo was based on one of those My Little Pony figures when it was first introduced. As for the Kirin theory: I'm not sure. I can see how it would look like a unicorn, but I don't know much about the Kirin so I can't see if the theory sticks. I believe Keldeo may just be based on a combination of the kelpie (a supernatural water horse) and d'Artagnan from The Three Musketeers novel. Its type combination further reinforces the theory.

XXD17
14th December 2010, 4:32 AM
I admit that I used to think Keldeo was based on one of those My Little Pony figures when it was first introduced. As for the Kirin theory: I'm not sure. I can see how it would look like a unicorn, but I don't know much about the Kirin so I can't see if the theory sticks. I believe Keldeo may just be based on a combination of the kelpie (a supernatural water horse) and d'Artagnan from The Three Musketeers novel. Its type combination further reinforces the theory.

I totally get the whole kelpie and musketeer reference but I just kind of wanted to investigate what combo of animals (or objects) that make up a pokemon. For example, sandslash is obviously based on a pangolin given its scales and claws; however, it's classified as the mouse pokemon giving the idea that that the porcupine also inspired it since porcupines are rodents and pangolins are not. The creature Kerudio is mostly based is probably the kelpie as you have said but kelpies don't have horn or a large mane, they're just supposed to look like regular horses but are actually water demons in disguise. Also, I can see that Cobalon is a goat (technically a markhor) by it beard and twisted horns and Virizion as a pronghorn antelope but Terrakion always baffled me. People say it's an ox but its horns look odd...whe I look at it I'm more reminded of a cape water buffalo...am I being crazy ?

BCVM22
14th December 2010, 5:03 AM
Terrakion's body is a dead ringer for certain breeds of bulldog (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/images/breeds/bulldog74.jpg), but as you said, the horns can evoke oxen or water buffalo while the nose belongs to none of those families.

Like so many other Pok&#233;mon, Terrakion seems to be a hybrid of a number of different quadrupedal beasts, with elements common to some of them but not enough to pin it as any one of them. Above all and more so than it is meant to be any one creature in origin, its design is meant to be low-slung, powerful and built like a brick as befits its typing and something based on Porthos.

RoninOtterai
14th December 2010, 5:43 AM
I think terakion is a bulldog and the horns are there just so it has it's own sword. It's a pokemon i expect it to have something to separate it from its base animal. Besides the horns nothing really says it could have ox or some other similar animal to me. That mean mug of his just screams bulldog as well.

Pikacu
14th December 2010, 8:14 AM
What are those random orange plate things on terakion's shoulder(s) because there not doing much for it i have to say

BCVM22
14th December 2010, 8:39 AM
They're complaint plates, placed there so that people have something to kvetch about. Who says Game Freak doesn't care about their fans?

R_N
14th December 2010, 8:45 AM
They're complaint plates, placed there so that people have something to kvetch about. Who says Game Freak doesn't care about their fans?

Terrakion died for our sins

King Shuckle
14th December 2010, 11:09 AM
Terrakion died for our sins

It's okay. In about three days, he'll rise again and come back to us all.

SasakiThePikachu
14th December 2010, 1:41 PM

hehe.

It always tickles me that it's the three musketeers. And then oh yeah, plus one. Just because they had enough footage to make a second movie. Poor Alexandre Dumas. It makes him sound like he named the novel first, and then realised he'd counted wrong or something.

Anyone know if Meloetta is based on anything? She reminds me of something that I can never quite place...I also for some reason want to start singing the Bewitched theme whenever I see her...

MetalFlygon08
14th December 2010, 2:56 PM
A Muse, or a Siren, more likely a muse not moose.

XXD17
14th December 2010, 3:20 PM
What are those random orange plate things on terakion's shoulder(s) because there not doing much for it i have to say

It seems all three of the musketeer trio have odd projections...terrakion has those orange plates, cobalon has those gyarados fin-like spikes coming out of its shoulders and virizion has those "leaves" coming out of its neck...I guess it kind of looks like a neckerchief...

XXD17
14th December 2010, 3:28 PM
Another pokemon that I felt fell slightly short this generation is Mebukijika...I mean I love its conception, its design, and its seasonal forme changes but I just don't get why it didn't get a gender difference. I mean Kenhorou got one but the animal it's based on, the pheasant, exhibit slightly less sexual dimorphism, like the color difference and the difference in size of facial wattles, than a deer where the females completely lack antlers. I understand that GF did this with stantler as well but there wasn't intra-species sexual dimorphism back in generation two. Maybe they just didn't do it so Mebukijika wouldn't look boring or for the sake of wood horn ? Don't get me wrong, I love both Mebukijika and Kenhorou.

Dracoste
14th December 2010, 3:52 PM
@XXD17, it is possible to edit you comment, it's not alowed to double post.

On the three(plus one) musketeer topic, it's actually funny how much GF let's Kerudio resemble D'Agnantan, did anyone elso noticed that Kerudio learns Sacred Sword one lvl. later than the other three? That's probably because D'Agnantan joined the three musketeers later.

I once read a book of the three musketeers, I have to say that D'Agnantan is my favourite musketeer, however, from the Pokémon musketeers I like Virizion the most, because of it's elegance. Kerudio is just a bit to...well, "childish" to put it simply. I hope Kerudio gets an alternate form, like an older version or something.

Those plates on Terrakion and the other things on the other ones are probably just accessorys, they just made them look better. You aren't going to ask a girl "What's the use of that necklace?" do you? It's just an accessory, and most accessorys don't really have an purpose, just to make something look better.

Missingno. Master
14th December 2010, 3:53 PM
Another pokemon that I felt fell slightly short this generation is Mebukijika...I mean I love its conception, its design, and its seasonal forme changes but I just don't get why it didn't get a gender difference. I mean Kenhorou got one but the animal it's based on, the pheasant, exhibit slightly less sexual dimorphism, like the color difference and the difference in size of facial wattles, than a deer where the females completely lack antlers. I understand that GF did this with stantler as well but there wasn't intra-species sexual dimorphism back in generation two. Maybe they just didn't do it so Mebukijika wouldn't look boring or for the sake of wood horn ? Don't get me wrong, I love both Mebukijika and Kenhorou.

I think it's for both of those reasons. The main seasonal changes with Mebukijika happen with the antlers, and thus without the antlers, it'd be pointless. And the antlers are kind of necessary for Wood Horn to make sense, methinks.

I wonder when we're next gonna get any new English names? Or what will get English names next? I'm gonna guess that stuff like Munna and Gear will be the next to get their English names revealed.

Lucas.G
14th December 2010, 5:12 PM
Whats the probleme with my signature?

MetalFlygon08
14th December 2010, 5:19 PM
it's huge, and takes up space, putting it in Spoiler tags let's people look at it if they want to by just clicking it.

What's everyone's opinion on Crimgan? I like it personally.

Dracoste
14th December 2010, 5:20 PM
Whats the probleme with my signature?

Well... that pic is a bit too big. You can put it in a spoiler tag.

I am a dragon trainer so I'm actually happy that there is finaly a single stage dragon pok&#233;mon. The thing that I like the most about it, are it's spikes. I actually haven't looked at it alot, but when I see it in-game, I will probably like it more.

cartert4219
14th December 2010, 5:26 PM
O_x It put my eye out. Seriously, it takes up an entire screen and a half. It's a really cool image but maybe you could copy it into paint or something and size it down to spare us.

EDIT: I like Crimgan, but lordy is he slow and his atk isn't significantly higher to make up for it or anything. It's doubtful that Altaria's new toys will have her in OU but either way with Crimgan we have a dependable UU dragon.

erekwashere15
14th December 2010, 5:29 PM
Crimgan, it looks odd... Blue body with a red head. Although I can't wait to see it in the anime.

Endless
14th December 2010, 5:35 PM
it's huge, and takes up space, putting it in Spoiler tags let's people look at it if they want to by just clicking it.

Yeah I like it too. However I feel it is very random. It has no evolution relatives. It could be more special if it got a secondary typing, both grass and rock could work.

So well, I like Crimgan, but it is so overshadowed by the other dragons(I am looking at you Ononokus)

XXD17
14th December 2010, 5:38 PM
Crimgan, it looks odd... Blue body with a red head. Although I can't wait to see it in the anime.

I actually quite like Crimgan...maybe that's because I'm a bit partial towards dragons...but the first impression I got of him was that he reminded me of a red-headed agama which is a species of spiny lizard from Africa where the males have bright red foreparts and bright blued bodieshttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/olle141516/Lizards/764px-Red-headed_Rock_Agama.jpg...another common name for the lizard is red-headed dragon so I naturally saw a connection. Any thoughts ?

Dracoste
14th December 2010, 5:55 PM
he reminded me of a red-headed agama which is a species of spiny lizard from Africa where the males have bright red foreparts and bright blued bodieshttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/olle141516/Lizards/764px-Red-headed_Rock_Agama.jpg...another common name for the lizard is red-headed dragon so I naturally saw a connection. Any thoughts ?

It does looks like an Crimgan, the red-headed agama is probably one of things Crimgan is based one.
I have a bearded agama myself and it has an spiked like "beard" around it's headhttp://users.telenet.be/KlasFons/images/baardje4.jpg...Crimgan could be a mix from those two with wings added.

R_N
14th December 2010, 6:32 PM
I really like Crimgan

part of that is because he is going to be the most overlooked of all the dragons :(

cartert4219
14th December 2010, 6:39 PM
I really like Crimgan

part of that is because he is going to be the most overlooked of all the dragons :(

Even Altaria is going to get more love.

XXD17
14th December 2010, 6:58 PM
2 questions....Leparudasu, Is it a cat or is it a leopard ? An ocelot maybe ? Leopard cat?
and Zurizukin, what species of lizard is it based off of ? Bulbapedia says frilled lizard but I'm not seeing it...

R_N
14th December 2010, 7:06 PM
2 questions....Leparudasu, Is it a cat or is it a leopard ? An ocelot maybe ? Leopard cat?
and Zurizukin, what species of lizard is it based off of ? Bulbapedia says frilled lizard but I'm not seeing it...

It's...pretty clearly based off a leopard.
...Which are cats.

Chibi_Muffin
14th December 2010, 7:59 PM
I really like Crimgan

Yeah, that's true. I forget about Crimmy a lot. Doesn't evolve, not that powerful, doesn't look that amazing... yeah, he loses out a bit. The best non legendary dragon this gen for me is good ol' Ononokusu. Packs a punch and actually looks kinda cute, well to me anyway. XD

Speaking of which, isn't it weird that by the time Monozu evolves into Jihead, you can get from Kibago to Ononokusu? Seriously - Monozu > Jihead is level 50, Onondo > Ononokusu is level 48 (or 47, don't remember which).

MetalFlygon08
14th December 2010, 8:12 PM
I get this strange feeling Crimgan is going to get an alternate form or somthing in Grey...

XXD17
14th December 2010, 8:32 PM
It's...pretty clearly based off a leopard.
...Which are cats.

Sorry for being unclear I meant smaller cat....The reason I ask is because leparudasu is so small compared to a leopard, Also, ocelotshttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/digby_2006/ocelot.jpgand leopard catshttp://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz36/LaBelleReine/123.jpg look just like mini-leopards with all the spots and rosettes. Also, leparudasu meows...

Aurath8
14th December 2010, 8:33 PM
I actually quite like Crimgan...maybe that's because I'm a bit partial towards dragons...but the first impression I got of him was that he reminded me of a red-headed agama which is a species of spiny lizard from Africa where the males have bright red foreparts and bright blued bodieshttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/olle141516/Lizards/764px-Red-headed_Rock_Agama.jpg...another common name for the lizard is red-headed dragon so I naturally saw a connection. Any thoughts ?

Aah, yes. I saw one of them last Summer outside the house in Lagos, Nigeria. Its speed was unreal though, which leaves me to wonder why Crimgan has suuch low speed...
I quite like Crimgan, but he was overshadowed by the other two dragons this gen. Sazandora has a cool new typing and is only the second Non-legend Special-based Dragon after Altaria and Ononokusu has ridiculous attack and an amazing levelup movepool. If he had the speed or maybe more bulk he could really shine.

LexSuicune
14th December 2010, 8:41 PM
Crimgan's design is not my particular cup of tea to be perfectly honest, it just doesn't seem to have a niche inside it's type.

Lorde
14th December 2010, 8:48 PM
Yay, a special event Zoroark will be given away in Japan. I guess it was only a matter of time before Nintendo released another Zoroark for Black and White, but seeing it happen this soon makes me happy. Zoroark apparently knows a move called Bark Out. I have no idea what it does (nor do I care) but that special move ought to make some players of the games, really happy. There's nothing like an event Pokemon with a special move to excite the fanbase.

Aurath8
14th December 2010, 8:53 PM
Too bad Bark Out sucks. 55 power(hugely inferior to Night Burst/Dark Pulse) and 95 accuracy just for a Spatk drop? No thanks.

Dracoste
14th December 2010, 9:06 PM
Yay, a special event Zoroark will be given away in Japan. I guess it was only a matter of time before Nintendo released another Zoroark for Black and White, but seeing it happen this soon makes me happy. Zoroark apparently knows a move called Bark Out. I have no idea what it does (nor do I care) but that special move ought to make some players of the games, really happy. There's nothing like an event Pokemon with a special move to excite the fanbase.

The move is now special, but when the lock capsule event comes, it will becomes less "special", cause that capsule contains TM95 "Bark Out".

Oh, and do some remember Entei's pokédex entry saying that when it barks an volcano erupts? Well...I think that the amount of volcano eruptions will increase 'cause of BARK out....Until NoA changes its name so that the attack's name doesn't contain bark.

SasakiThePikachu
14th December 2010, 9:20 PM
I don't like Crimgan that much, and this is coming from a trainer who has adored every single dragon since pokemon began. All the other dragons have looked beautiful, or awesome, or a mixture of both (Dragoniiite!! <3) and Crimgan just looks...a bit crap. I thought he looked like a Lego monster at first, lol. He is to dragons what Hephaestus was to the gods of Olympus. He might be nice, and he might have some hidden good points, but no-one wants to know him.

Sigh.

I feel sorry for him now!! TT____TT

(Not quite sorry enough to kick Sazandora or Ononokusu to the curb and give him their spot on my teams, though...)

Lorde
14th December 2010, 9:35 PM
The move is now special, but when the lock capsule event comes, it will becomes less "special", cause that capsule contains TM95 "Bark Out".

I doubt that the Lock Capsule will be released though. It seems like all Generation 4 events in Japan have ceased, so they won't be getting it. That makes the chances of other countries getting the Lock Capsule, so much slimmer. It could be released as a Generation 5 event I suppose, but I don't want to get my hopes up just to have them knocked back down again. I really think that Zoroark deserves to have this special Bark Out move, all to itself for a while though. They made Zoroark look like a total idiot in its own film, so it deserves some compensation for all the crap that it had to endure. Where's the Zoroark love?

As for Crimgan: I don't really know much about it, so I can't judge it too much. I had decided to use it as my sixth Pokemon in Black version a while ago because it looked good, but since it doesn't appear until Sekka City, I decided to use something else in its place. I like its design and everything (especially its red visage), I just don't see myself using it anymore.

Mario with Lasers
14th December 2010, 9:36 PM
...If this Zoroark is a male, then we probably won't even need TM95 lol.

Dracoste
14th December 2010, 10:04 PM
I doubt that the Lock Capsule will be released though. It seems like all Generation 4 events in Japan have ceased, so they won't be getting it. That makes the chances of other countries getting the Lock Capsule, so much slimmer. It could be released as a Generation 5 event I suppose, but I don't want to get my hopes up just to have them knocked back down again.

I highly doupt that the Lock capsule don't get released, with the only reason: It contains an TM. GF probably don't think up an TM and ends up not using it. Well...I hope they don't, cause I want to collect every TM.

tmega90
14th December 2010, 11:37 PM
I like Crimgan. I think it looks really cool. He seems like a very interesting and cool Dragon Pokemon. I like him and Ononokusu best out of the Dragons this generation.

bugcatchersdream
15th December 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm suprised at all the hate that Crimgan is getting. It has good Attack, a Great Movepool, and artwork that is totally BA. Personally, Crimgan is my second-favorite Dragon, after only Dragonite.

Grei
15th December 2010, 1:19 AM
I'm suprised at all the hate that Crimgan is getting. It has good Attack, a Great Movepool, and artwork that is totally BA. Personally, Crimgan is my second-favorite Dragon, after only Dragonite.

But it's really slow

And also, it's so ugly. Crimgan isn't my favorite Dragon.

... although, honestly, the Dragons this Gen aren't my favorites. Barring the Legendaries, I don't particularly love any of them. If I were to rank them, I'd probably say Ononokusu, then Sazandora, then Crimgan, but even then, Ononokusu just isn't my cup of tea.
Then again, most Dragons that are true dragons aren't all that appealing to me. My favorite Dragon-types are Gible, Altaria, and Kingdra. Gible's the only Dragon-esque one of them.

... though Monozu is quite adorable.

I doubt that the Lock Capsule will be released though. It seems like all Generation 4 events in Japan have ceased, so they won't be getting it. That makes the chances of other countries getting the Lock Capsule, so much slimmer. It could be released as a Generation 5 event I suppose, but I don't want to get my hopes up just to have them knocked back down again. I really think that Zoroark deserves to have this special Bark Out move, all to itself for a while though. They made Zoroark look like a total idiot in its own film, so it deserves some compensation for all the crap that it had to endure. Where's the Zoroark love?

The Lock Capsule couldn't be released to contain Bark Out in the Gen IV games because the move didn't exist in their coding. I get the feeling the Lock Capsule was actually for a different event that was scrapped, and they figured, "Well, what the hell" and put Bark Out in it.

Personally, since Bark Out is a TM in this Gen, I think the Lock Capsule will become a Gen V event.

And I actually disliked Zoroark but now I sort of want to use him/her.

Lorde
15th December 2010, 2:05 AM
And I actually disliked Zoroark but now I sort of want to use him/her.

It was the opposite for me: I liked Zoroark at the start, but now I sort of don't want to use one in my Black version. I still like Zoroark somewhat, but once I figured out what its Illusion ability is all about, I decided I rather not keep one with me. While the ability to look like another Pokemon is useful in some battles, it just irritates me for some reason. I want a Zoroark sprite to be visable all of the time, not just when the Pokemon has been hit by an attack.

XXD17
15th December 2010, 2:10 AM

If you ask me, I like all dragon types...if it's a dragon, it's automatically cool in my book

zerowing
15th December 2010, 2:51 AM
Sazandora may have the coolest design of all the dragons. It is basic, but really awesome.

Typhlosionvsworld
15th December 2010, 3:37 AM
I know that kingdra and dragonite will always be my favorite dragons, but i have room in my heart for ononokusu and crimgan. BUT...all the new legendary dragons for generation 5 are crazy beast.

DoktorS
15th December 2010, 5:27 AM
Crimgan is awesome.

Especially if you give him a Rugged Helmet in addition to his Rough Skin.

Okay, maybe not "awesome," but I like him...

Ravenous14
15th December 2010, 5:55 AM
I reckon Crimgan's allg, Nintendo's colouring is a bit off, but oh well

I reckon on of my new fave dragons would be Sazandora,

overall pretty good stats, Dark/Dragon (something new) highest level of evolution so far etc.

plus the animation is pretty cool

RitterCat
15th December 2010, 12:36 PM
Saz is one epic pokemon. It has adorable pre-evos that culminate in a dark/dragon BA beast that has good stats and has an awesome design.

<333333333333 SAZ

XXD17
15th December 2010, 3:18 PM
Is it just me or is this generation seriously lacking in usable water and psychic types ? I mean in the psychic department we only get musharna, kokoromori, shinpora, oobemu and either gocherizeru or rankurusu the foremost and lastmost being a bit slow for my taste and the middle ones being a pain to train. As for waters, I love dragons so the only really cool water type, daikenki, is something I won't be getting since Jalorda is definitely always my first choice...as for the rest, basurao is too normal for me, mamabou is too defensive, Hiyakkie is too frail, abagoora won't be obtained since archeos is my top choice, gamagaroge is too normal, and a swanna is a pelipper with worse defenses. The only one I see as usable for me is burungeru and even then it's not too outstanding for me in the designs department although I love all pokemon equally (dragons slightly more)

Oh and another thing about mebukijika...How does its form changing work because I have three in my box and they are all different formes even though it's winter. Do they only change when you withdraw them or send them into battle ?

Endless
15th December 2010, 4:32 PM
Oh and another thing about mebukijika...How does its form changing work because I have three in my box and they are all different formes even though it's winter. Do they only change when you withdraw them or send them into battle ?

Yeah, you got it right. As long as you keep them in the computer they will keep their formes.

Chibi_Muffin
15th December 2010, 5:13 PM
4th KIRA, I know exactly what you mean. Formes like Shaymin and Mebukijika I can deal with. When my Zoroark looks exactly like my Jalorda or my Hiyakkie, then it's like I'm using my Jalorda or my Hiyakkie with different types and moves. It's hard to see a Pokémon as a character when they look like the others all the time.

XXD17, I have to disagree with you on this one. It's down to personal taste really. Yeah, I like Jalorda too, and I'm stuck with Archeos (though for different reasons). I don't mind slow Pokémon though. In fact, I feel like I have to have Ranculus, because it's not only super cute, but can both take and give hits and can learn decent moves. Speed isn't everything. Oobemu, Kokoromori and Musharna are musts in my mind as well. I agree a bit with the water types. Most of the new ones for me are unappealing, except Hiyakkie (not just because I get one for free) and Burungel (particularly males XD).

And it looks like I'm leaving out Crimmie even more. I've decided to get a Sazandra. Her name will be Persephone. I've decided to cheat a bit though. To avoid the ridiculously high levels (64?!) I will plonk her into the daycare until she is level 62. Two rare candies and VOILA! Instant hydra. The main problem I have with her now is her lack of pupils - it's creepy. O_O;

Roprinplup14
15th December 2010, 5:15 PM
I wonder when the games come out in usa it might be march/april for usa

Dracoste
15th December 2010, 6:27 PM
Serebii finaly edited the Unova Pokearth section with pictures, now(for the people who doesn't have the games)we can see how some areas look like.

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/unova/route7.shtml I really had to laugh at the face of the guy protagonist when it's walking the thin platforms.

The protagonists really move more than usual, last gen they only crouched and looked at they Pok&#233;tch, now they make an Link like move(ta-da-da-daaaaaa) when they found an item and now they balance when walking on thin platforms, this gen gets better and better.

Luxrayess
15th December 2010, 6:44 PM
Serebii finaly edited the Unova Pokearth section with pictures, now(for the people who doesn't have the games)we can see how some areas look like.

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/unova/route7.shtml I really had to laugh at the face of the guy protagonist when it's walking the thin platforms.

The protagonists really move more than usual, last gen they only crouched and looked at they Pokétch, now they make an Link like move(ta-da-da-daaaaaa) when they found an item and now they balance when walking on thin platforms, this gen gets better and better.

That's actually pretty awesome! Does anyone else have any knowledge of more expressions that the protagonists do?

Aurath8
15th December 2010, 7:15 PM
At the start of the game Cheren has his hand on his hip and tapping his foot casually while he waits for Bel to get to your house. Bel herself sometimes holds her head in embarassment/unsureness? The female protagonist's hair flows in the wind as she runs too. That's all I can think of for know.
I noticed this the first time I saw footage of this actually, but thought it wasn't worth posting...

Dracoste
15th December 2010, 7:33 PM
Totaly forgot about Cheren and Bel.
I think N also moves like he's giving a speach and that he shrugs, while he is shaking his head, and doesn't Bel also somethimes corrects her hat when she is off going somewhere?

XXD17
15th December 2010, 8:13 PM
XXD17, I have to disagree with you on this one. It's down to personal taste really. Yeah, I like Jalorda too, and I'm stuck with Archeos (though for different reasons). I don't mind slow Pokémon though. In fact, I feel like I have to have Ranculus, because it's not only super cute, but can both take and give hits and can learn decent moves. Speed isn't everything. Oobemu, Kokoromori and Musharna are musts in my mind as well. I agree a bit with the water types. Most of the new ones for me are unappealing, except Hiyakkie (not just because I get one for free) and Burungel (particularly males XD).

;

I think rankurusu is totally cute also !!!! But I can't get one because I have black and inviable wi-fi. it also seems to only have a niche on a trick room team which is a team that I can't seem to get to work -_- I have a gochirizeru but I just use it to stall for time or set up status...it can't really sweep like a rankurusu...anyways, have you ever wondered how rankurusu eats being completely contained in a membrane? Would it perform phagocytosis or something like white blood cells?

Chibi_Muffin
15th December 2010, 8:29 PM
I think rankurusu is totally cute also !!!! But I can't get one because I have black and inviable wi-fi. it also seems to only have a niche on a trick room team which is a team that I can't seem to get to work -_- I have a gochirizeru but I just use it to stall for time or set up status...it can't really sweep like a rankurusu...anyways, have you ever wondered how rankurusu eats being completely contained in a membrane? Would it perform phagocytosis or something like white blood cells?

I am getting Black also. But my brother is getting White, so we've agreed: I give him a Monmen in exchange for him giving me a Ranculus. All's fair. Sorry about that - just wanted to explain my opinion is all. I never use Trick Room, I don't care if he's slow. Anyways, I think he can eat like anything else would eat. He has a mouth, doesn't he? Okay, so the food would be coated in jelly, but still.

Some of the Pokémon this gen are really... different, aren't they? An ice cream cone, a chandelier, a binbag... hey, even Ranculus reminds me of an unborn baby! I think it's cool, personally.

XXD17
15th December 2010, 8:34 PM
I am getting Black also. But my brother is getting White, so we've agreed: I give him a Monmen in exchange for him giving me a Ranculus. All's fair. Sorry about that - just wanted to explain my opinion is all. I never use Trick Room, I don't care if he's slow. Anyways, I think he can eat like anything else would eat. He has a mouth, doesn't he? Okay, so the food would be coated in jelly, but still.

Some of the Pok&#233;mon this gen are really... different, aren't they? An ice cream cone, a chandelier, a binbag... hey, even Ranculus reminds me of an unborn baby! I think it's cool, personally.
I kind of meant how it would actually reach its mouth because the little creature inside is trapped in a transparent capsule :P and yes the pokemon really are different this generation but I like them all, some more than others.

And it looks like I'm leaving out Crimmie even more. I've decided to get a Sazandra. Her name will be Persephone. I've decided to cheat a bit though. To avoid the ridiculously high levels (64?!) I will plonk her into the daycare until she is level 62. Two rare candies and VOILA! Instant hydra. The main problem I have with her now is her lack of pupils - it's creepy. O_O;
I think sazandora's main head might actually have tiny slits for pupils that can't be distinguished from the sprite or the unclear sugimori art we have right now...It was a pain trying to draw it because it is probably my second favorite generation 5 pokemon and I can't tell if it has or doesn't have pupils -_- anyways, has anyone noticed that sazandora has only teeth on its lower jaw in its sprite and official art but only teeth on its top jaw in its back sprite ?

yeminied
15th December 2010, 8:43 PM
So wait, are you saying Shikijika and others actually change forme when the season changes. I thought the forme you caught it in was the forme it stayed in for life.

Dracoste
15th December 2010, 8:47 PM
So wait, are you saying Shikijika and others actually change forme when the season changes. I thought the forme you caught it in was the forme it stayed in for life.

No, the forms change with the season, they only stay the same in the PC.

Chibi_Muffin
15th December 2010, 9:01 PM
I kind of meant how it would actually reach its mouth because the little creature inside is trapped in a transparent capsule :P and yes the pokemon really are different this generation but I like them all, some more than others.

I think sazandora's main head might actually have tiny slits for pupils that can't be distinguished from the sprite or the unclear sugimori art we have right now...It was a pain trying to draw it because it is probably my second favorite generation 5 pokemon and I can't tell if it has or doesn't have pupils -_- anyways, has anyone noticed that sazandora has only teeth on its lower jaw in its sprite and official art but only teeth on its top jaw in its back sprite ?

Well, he has arms, doesn't he?

Speaking of Sazandra, yeah, that's a good point. Even so, I really hope there's pupils, or irises, or SOMETHING other than that pink expanse. It's creepy. Only on the main head though. I can deal with the other two being pupilless. Oh, and weird point. I never noticed the tooth thing.

Lol, there are two different conversations going on here, one about Mebukijika and the other about Ranculus. Weird.

XXD17
15th December 2010, 9:08 PM
Well, he has arms, doesn't he?

But there is a barrier, a membrane, between his mouth and the food; he's like inside a bubble. So how would you think the food gets pass the barrier into the bubble ? Sorry about the nitpicking but I'm a pre-med student and I'm into these kinds of trivial intricacies :P

Lorde
15th December 2010, 9:13 PM
But there is a barrier, a membrane, between his mouth and the food; he's like inside a bubble. So how would you think the food gets pass the barrier into the bubble ? Sorry about the nitpicking but I'm a pre-med student and I'm into these kinds of trivial intricacies :P

Osmosis - the movement of water molecules through a selectively-permeable membrane? Maybe it just feeds on water molecules the whole time in order to sustain itself? I don't know. I don't think the eating habits of Pokemon should be taken so seriously though. This is just Pokemon, after all :p

Anyway, I just captured myself a few Mebukijika and I have to say, I love Mebukijika's winter form. It looks so amazing. I didn't know that it changed with the seasons either. I assumed it stayed in one form for all its life :s

XXD17
15th December 2010, 9:19 PM
Osmosis - the movement of water molecules through a selectively-permeable membrane? Maybe it just feeds on water molecules the whole time in order to sustain itself? I don't know. I don't think the eating habits of Pokemon should be taken so seriously though. This is just Pokemon, after all.

Anyway, I just captured myself a few Mebukijika and I have to say, I love Mebukijika's winter form. It looks so amazing.

I suggested phagocytosis-engulfing of an object by a cell via vesicle transport oh and maybe diffusion ? Basically osmosis only not just applying to water. The only problem here is that there is no gradient for either osmosis or diffusion to work...never mind :P

and yes Mebukijika is really cool. I just find it outclassed by erufuun and jalorda though...

SasakiThePikachu
15th December 2010, 9:24 PM
I suggested phagocytosis-engulfing of an object by a cell via vesicle transport oh and maybe diffusion ? Basically osmosis only not just applying to water. The only problem here is that there is no gradient for either osmosis or diffusion to work...never mind :P

and yes Mebukijika is really cool. I just find it outclassed by erufuun and jalorda though...

Hehe. I think you're thinking this through too much :D If you try to understand everything about how pokemon is suposed to work, your brain will eventually just explode. Science and pokemon are like science and religion...they don't mix.

Chibi- I love the idea that everything Rankurusu eats will taste like jelly, lol

kedlu
15th December 2010, 10:14 PM
Hehe. I think you're thinking this through too much :D If you try to understand everything about how pokemon is suposed to work, your brain will eventually just explode. Science and pokemon are like science and religion...they don't mix.

Yeah, some Pokemon just don't need an explanation.

cartert4219
16th December 2010, 12:45 AM
So that mystery egg event is supposed to start tomorrow and there still hasn't been a word about since they announced it last month. Has anyone found more details on it elsewhere? It seems odd that they haven't revealed the pokemon yet.

Lorde
16th December 2010, 2:38 AM
So that mystery egg event is supposed to start tomorrow and there still hasn't been a word about since they announced it last month. Has anyone found more details on it elsewhere? It seems odd that they haven't revealed the pokemon yet.

I'm pretty sure that the contents of the mystery eggs are supposed to remain a mystery. At least until the day of the distribution, anyway. I had totally forgotten about that egg event actually, so thanks for bringing that up again. Since this event seems to tie-in with Ash's egg in the anime, I'm pretty sure that I have an idea of what's in one of the three eggs. Personally, I'm hoping that one of those eggs contains a Zorua. I'm a complete Zorua freak and I'd like to collect all sorts of Zorua events. Though with the forthcoming Zoroark event, there might not be a need for another Zorua event. Oh well. Anyway, I think it would be cool if the Pokemon in the eggs had their Dream World abilities instead of their normal abilities.

R_N
16th December 2010, 2:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that the contents of the mystery eggs are supposed to remain a mystery. At least until the day of the distribution, anyway. I had totally forgotten about that egg event actually, so thanks for bringing that up again. Since this event seems to tie-in with Ash's egg in the anime, I'm pretty sure that I have an idea of what's in one of the three eggs. Personally, I'm hoping that one of those eggs contains a Zorua. I'm a complete Zorua freak and I'd like to collect all sorts of Zorua events.

I'm going to guess Megocruoco, Zurruguruu aaaand lets say Ishizumai

I hope they have dream abilities

Korobooshi Kojiro
16th December 2010, 6:11 AM
http://twitpic.com/3g4bzh
Uh, apparently this is related to the egg...

I'm guessing that, the egg in the games isn't related to the egg in the show exactly, because this seems to be implying that the egg either gives you Kibago, Mamepato, or Yanappu? Or am I totally off the mark here. I think perhaps it's some kind of puzzle maybe which hints towards what's in the egg?

cartert4219
16th December 2010, 6:13 AM
That would certainly be a random batch of eggs.

Lorde
16th December 2010, 8:47 AM
http://twitpic.com/3g4bzh
Uh, apparently this is related to the egg...

I'm guessing that, the egg in the games isn't related to the egg in the show exactly, because this seems to be implying that the egg either gives you Kibago, Mamepato, or Yanappu? Or am I totally off the mark here. I think perhaps it's some kind of puzzle maybe which hints towards what's in the egg?

I'm sort of puzzled myself. All three of those Pokemon (Kibago, Mamepato, and Yanappu) are owned by a main character in the current anime series. But Serebii and several people on other sites mentioned that the mystery egg event would tie-in with the egg that Ash got in the anime. I'm going to be depressed if people just misinterpreted the announcement, and it really just meant that the Pokemon given away in the eggs would simply tie-in with the Pokemon belonging to the anime characters, and not the egg that Ash got itself.

R_N
16th December 2010, 8:53 AM
So how are those supposed to be related to the egg, exactly?
Like, what is the context for the cards.

edit: Well, it should be the 17th in Japan by now, so we'll probably know for certain in the morning.

Lorde
16th December 2010, 9:08 AM
I recall Serebii mentioning on the main site that the mystery egg event would also tie-in with the trading card game somehow. So the egg event seems to tie-in with both the anime and the trading card game. I'm guessing that those new Kibago, Mamepato, and Yanappu cards are special promo cards or something, the ones that Serebii was talking about back when he posted about the special mystery egg event.

The Phoenix Lodge
16th December 2010, 9:45 AM
So how are those supposed to be related to the egg, exactly?
Like, what is the context for the cards.

edit: Well, it should be the 17th in Japan by now, so we'll probably know for certain in the morning.

Actually it isn't the 17th there yet. Best Wishes is yet to air at 7pm on the 16th and as of now is an hour and a quarter away. My timezone is 4 hours ahead of Japan so from when I wake up I will keep checking for the egg download on both Black and White. Here's hoping they put the event up early in the morning.

And what are people thinking in terms of being able to change which one you get. Do you think it will be set as soon as you download the wonder card or do you think it will be different every time you receive the egg? (eg. resetting for nature/IVs might also change which one of the 3 species you get)

Mario with Lasers
16th December 2010, 3:01 PM
Well, now it's the 17th in Japan. If it's already started, do I only need to get on Mystery Gift and get the Egg, is that it ?__?

EDIT -- Oh look I got an Egg. It's not Manaphy's, btw.

EDIT2 -- Well whatever Serebii already said who they are...

Dracoste
16th December 2010, 3:52 PM
These events are rather random, aren't they? Too bad those pokémon didn't get DW abilitys.

rocky505
16th December 2010, 7:04 PM
I wish they had DW abilities or event moves. I tried once and got mamepato -_-. I wanted Kibago. Hopefully it doesn't stay as a Mamepato (I didn't save after hatching it)

Mario with Lasers
16th December 2010, 7:14 PM
I wish they had DW abilities or event moves. I tried once and got mamepato -_-. I wanted Kibago. Hopefully it doesn't stay as a Mamepato (I didn't save after hatching it)

I got my Egg twice and in both times, it was a Yanappu.

R_N
16th December 2010, 7:58 PM
How lame, they don't even have dream abilities.
I thought for sure it would be based on new and upcoming captures and everything

Well, at least Yanappu & Kibago can be useful depending on how far into the game one is and what starter you chose.

Lorde
16th December 2010, 10:00 PM
These events are rather random, aren't they? Too bad those pokémon didn't get DW abilitys.

They do seem random, don't they? Kibago, Mamepato, and Yanappu are pretty basic Pokemon. I guess I just got too used to most event distributions being for Legendary Pokemon as opposed to just basic Pokemon. We haven't really gotten anything too special so far, though I am waiting for that Bark Out Zoroark since it seems neat. I guess we won't be getting the rare Generation 5 Legendary Pokemon until next year, when the 14th Movie is released in theaters in Japan. I'm still hoping for Keldeo to be in that film and we know that Victini will be in it, so I'm waiting for that event.

R_N
16th December 2010, 10:11 PM
They do seem random, don't they? Kibago, Mamepato, and Yanappu are pretty basic Pokemon. I guess I just got too used to most event distributions being for Legendary Pokemon as opposed to just basic Pokemon. We haven't really gotten anything too special so far, though I am waiting for that Bark Out Zoroark since it seems neat. I guess we won't be getting the rare Generation 5 Legendary Pokemon until next year, when the 14th Movie is released in theaters in Japan. I'm still hoping for Keldeo to be in that film and we know that Victini will be in it, so I'm waiting for that event.

It's not really random, as these guys are the "same" as the BW cast's main Pokemon.

Anyway, Pokebeach updated with card scans. Lots of neat artwork for the Pokemon. Some of my favorites:
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/037-black.jpg
Really glad they showed Vultina flying, she looks pretty cool in motion.
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/003-black.jpg
Hahakamori is super classy
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/035-black.jpg
hahahahaha

edit: sadly, Tornelos & Voltlos are 3D models with no cool poses. I don't think we'll ever see their arms uncrossed or...anything other then this basic pose, honestly.

Dracoste
16th December 2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, that Vultina pic is Awesome! I really like her. Zuruzukin looks like it's saying "dare to say that again in my face". And Hahakamori looks less scary.

Chibi_Muffin
16th December 2010, 10:28 PM
^AWESOME! I'm getting all three of them already (Carrie = Vulxina, Gypsy = Hahakurimo and Don = Zuruzukin respectively) but thismakes them appreciate them even more! Carrie looks like she's having fun, Gypsy looks like she's being philosophical, while Don's just thinking "You wanna piece of me?" =] I don't even care about the genies, I don't like 'em anyway. They're not even genies, Jirachi is. I'd rather see the Pokémon I DO like getting cool art.

Lorde
16th December 2010, 10:36 PM
I find it sort of random that they chose to have Mamepato in one of the eggs, when Ash has several other Pokemon on his team. Pokemon with way more appeal than a lowly Mamepato. Dent also has another Pokemon on his team besides Yanappu (one that looks much cuter btw). Iris has another Pokemon as well, but I can see why it wasn't included in an egg and why Kibago was chosen instead. Some of the people who have hatched their eggs are reporting that Mamepato is male. Odd, since Ash's Mamepato is female and these eggs are supposed to tie-in with the Pokemon of the anime. I wonder what that's about. Oh, and I just noticed some of the new trading cards on another site and I have to admit that the artwork is fabulous. I won't post the images of the ones I like since those images take too much space, but Mebukijika's card and Kokoromori's card are the coolest ones IMO. Mebukijika looks so majestic in that forest setting and Kokoromori looks as cute as ever flying through the night like that. I noticed that Choroneko is standing on its hind legs in its card. How adorable :3

BCVM22
16th December 2010, 10:43 PM
I find it sort of random that they chose to have Mamepato in one of the eggs, when Ash has several other Pokemon on his team.

They weren't going to give away an Unova starter and they just gave away an Ash's Pikachu as a Movie 13 tie-in this past summer, and that - Pikachu + three starters + Mamepato - is Ash's five-strong roster right now.

Dent also has another Pokemon on his team besides Yanappu (one that looks much cuter btw).

Wild Yanappu are rare to the tune of 10% if you don't get one as a result of selecting the corresponding starter Pokémon.

Dracoste
16th December 2010, 10:47 PM
@The 4th KIRA

If the pictures are too big you can put them in an spoiler tag, then it won't be a problem.

R_N
16th December 2010, 10:58 PM
@The 4th KIRA

If the pictures are too big you can put them in an spoiler tag, then it won't be a problem.
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/007-black.jpg
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/025-black.jpg

Dracoste
16th December 2010, 11:08 PM
Awwww... Kokoromori looks a bit sad with those big eyes, it makes it even cuter than it is. I personaly like Mebukijika's winter form more.

SasakiThePikachu
17th December 2010, 2:06 AM
When I see Mebukijika a part of me just cries out: 'Bambi's mother!! ;___;'

Beautiful illustrations, though. More, please. Soon. Isshu fever has gripped me. Only 3 months to go *hungry eyes*

I don't understand the eggs - I get that they're representing what the anime characters have, but they really might have waited until the characters got some good pokemon. Making two of the gifts Kibago and Yanappu then making the third Mamepato was evil. And I think whoever got Mamepato probably will agree with me there. It's like unwrapping a nintendo wii-shaped christmas gift and finding out it's just socks.

R_N
17th December 2010, 2:21 AM
Rivalry may not be the best of abilities, but at least it would have been novel and rare

XXD17
17th December 2010, 4:50 AM
Rivalry may not be the best of abilities, but at least it would have been novel and rare

Hehe...I actually wanted a kibago with mold-breaker but I ended up with an onnonokusu with rivalry....guess I just didn't read and was too excited to train the kibago I just caught :P

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th December 2010, 6:00 AM
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/034-white.jpg

...And we just put in a new water feature over there.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/033-white.jpg
My nose reaches can reach places no one elses' can

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/046-white.jpg

Still cute.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/038-white.jpg

I IZ BURIED

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/023-white.jpg
This pose reminds me of the pervert from Family Guy for some reason.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/034-black.jpg
Please please please hurry up and appear in the anime.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/005-white.jpg

You too.

R_N
17th December 2010, 6:54 AM
I really really dislike the artist behind Choroneko's card

The same artist did a lot of cards for this set, and almost all of them are flat, off-model, and so on.

edit:
http://pokebeach.com/scans/japanese/black-white-collection/028-black.jpg
Oh hey, it seems that the dress is in fact hollow. She's got legs!
Or just one leg?

Dragrath
17th December 2010, 7:33 AM
According to the front page on serrebii the eggs have preset IV's and natures kibago has max speed IVs w/ speed beneficial nature, yanappu has plus sp atk nature w/ max sp atk IV's too bad you could get the crappy menepado... interesting event choice, It would have been best if they waited also at what point does it decide which egg you get?

(kibago and yanappu can at least be used to breed good IV's

cartert4219
17th December 2010, 8:14 AM
Worst. Event. Ever. Thanks, Nintendo. From all of us that got your worthless bird.

Dracoste
17th December 2010, 3:38 PM
We don't have to worry to much. We still get 4 "normal"(and probably) Wi-Fi events: The united tower, Kerudio, Meloeta and genosecuto.

That United tower, I think it's something similair to the trainer house in SS/HG.

Dizzee
17th December 2010, 4:07 PM
According to the front page on serrebii the eggs have preset IV's and natures kibago has max speed IVs w/ speed beneficial nature, yanappu has plus sp atk nature w/ max sp atk IV's too bad you could get the crappy menepado... interesting event choice, It would have been best if they waited also at what point does it decide which egg you get?

(kibago and yanappu can at least be used to breed good IV's

Actually Yanappu has a + atk nature and max iv's in attack...

Rose Storm
17th December 2010, 5:15 PM
The United Tower sounds like it'll be really fun when it's released. Especially considering that the Kanto Champion music plays on the 131st floor!

Dracoste
17th December 2010, 5:22 PM
wait... I though the Kanto Champion like music was Adeku's theme. So I geuss I was wrong with that... Then I wonder what Adeku's theme is(Don't tell me, I want this then be one of the things I don't know about B/W). Then I wonder for who the Kanto champion is suposed to be?

I think the united tower works like this: after you battled a friend(or perhaps even a stranger) over Wi-Fi you can download his/her team to the United Tower(hence the name *united*).
OR/and
GF gives away Wi-Fi events that contains trainers with the Gym-leaders, strong trainers and champion's pok&#233;mon of the past gens.

I don't know, we just have to wait to find out what it is.

@Rose Storm: Doesn't the United Tower have 130 floors?

RabidRaticate
17th December 2010, 6:53 PM
Hey, I'm sure someone has pointed this out before, but I think someone at Game Freak has a very childish sense of humor. Shandera is not only national dex number 6(0)9, but Ranpuraa learns its last move, Overheat (get it?), at level 69. Shandera is also the Temptation (get it?) pokémon according to Serebii's pokédex. Gross.

R_N
17th December 2010, 7:13 PM
Hey, I'm sure someone has pointed this out before, but I think someone at Game Freak has a very childish sense of humor. Shandera is not only national dex number 6(0)9, but Ranpuraa learns its last move, Overheat (get it?), at level 69. Shandera is also the Temptation (get it?) pokémon according to Serebii's pokédex. Gross.

This is the most I've seen anyone reach for anything within the past *checks calendar* let's say this week.

Rose Storm
17th December 2010, 7:18 PM
The only gross thing is you managing to realise that and having to share it with everybody.

Anyway, yeah, the Kanto Champion battle plays on the 131st floor of the United Tower, and considering there are 130 rooms with trainers to battle in them, it's supposedly the music that plays against the champion of the United Tower, however that will work.

Luxrayess
17th December 2010, 7:30 PM
Worst. Event. Ever. Thanks, Nintendo. From all of us that got your worthless bird.

You do realize that this minor egg event is just a cute little gimmick to promote the anime, right? And that there are quite a few opportunities to get a Kibago and 'Broco-monkey' in-game without getting the egg in the first place?

Dracoste
17th December 2010, 7:36 PM
Shandera is the Temptation Pok&#233;mon, what the heck! It sucks your soul out and turn your body into ash, I don't find that very temptating!

United Tower:
I think you have to fill the other 130 floors before you can battle the so-called United Tower Champion. Because there isn't anymore unkown sprites anymore, It's probably an veteran trainer or an Business man(the one without the suitcase).

R_N
17th December 2010, 7:44 PM
Shandera is the Temptation Pokémon, what the heck! It sucks your soul out and turn your body into ash, I don't find that very temptating!

United Tower:
I think you have to fill the other 130 floors before you can battle the so-called United Tower Champion. Because there isn't anymore unkown sprites anymore, It's probably an veteran trainer or an Business man(the one without the suitcase).
The idea is that the flames mesmerize you and tempt you to come closer

Dracoste
17th December 2010, 7:49 PM
The idea is that the flames mesmerize you and tempt you to come closer

.....well.....that does makes more sense, A mysterious blue flame in the dark is indeed tempting enough to go after it to know what it is.

SasakiThePikachu
17th December 2010, 8:54 PM
Even Robert Patinson is jealous of Yanakkie's quiff. That is one hell of a 'do.

@ Rabid Raticate: ...ew. And you're saying someone else has a childish sense of humour?!

Lorde
17th December 2010, 9:35 PM
I guess I missed that update about the Zoroark distribution. So it seems like everyone with a Japanese B/W cart will be able to get one via Wi-Fi at some point. I was worried that I might not be able to get it since I don't live in Japan, but it seems like I can simply download it from the comfort of my own home. This is one event that I'm actually looking forward to. Zoroark is so much more useful than say, a Kumasyun.

AriasuGureisha
17th December 2010, 9:48 PM
I guess I missed that update about the Zoroark distribution. So it seems like everyone with a Japanese B/W cart will be able to get one via Wi-Fi at some point. I was worried that I might not be able to get it since I don't live in Japan, but it seems like I can simply download it from the comfort of my own home. This is one event that I'm actually looking forward to. Zoroark is so much more useful than say, a Kumasyun.

Or an egg containing three Pokemon possibly under the UU Tier (and that are owned by three certain retard trio in the anime). BTW my Yanappu has Bullet Seed, Bite, Solar Beam and Dig. Lolwut?

R_N
17th December 2010, 9:56 PM
I don't see what's surprising about Yanappu having Bite, Solar Beam, Bullet Seed and Dig

Mario with Lasers
17th December 2010, 10:03 PM
where's sacred fire

AriasuGureisha
17th December 2010, 10:09 PM
I don't see what's surprising about Yanappu having Bite, Solar Beam, Bullet Seed and Dig

Me neither. GameFreak put three eggs containing 2 UUs and one NU and just put on his Cooooolfaaaace...
http://files.sharenator.com/coolface_RE_Online_Gaming_Stats-s321x267-90559.jpg

R_N
17th December 2010, 10:19 PM
Me neither. GameFreak put three eggs containing 2 UUs and one NU and just put on his Cooooolfaaaace...
http://files.sharenator.com/coolface_RE_Online_Gaming_Stats-s321x267-90559.jpg

Gamefreak doesn't care about UU or NU
They do care about neat little anime tie-ins though!

edit: What is trolly is that they didn't tie the egg's chances into the actual Egg Ash got

cartert4219
17th December 2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I was expecting it to tie in with his egg too. I don't see what the significance of them being eggs was now. I knew the event was supposed to tie in with the anime. I guess the surprise is that was ALL it was for.

Pikacu
18th December 2010, 1:10 AM
ohh so its not tieing in with ash's egg it makes so much more sense on why the event is giving that damn pidgeon away but once again does this only tie in with the anime because the pokemon being given out belong to the 3 charecters

R_N
18th December 2010, 2:00 AM
ohh so its not tieing in with ash's egg it makes so much more sense on why the event is giving that damn pidgeon away but once again does this only tie in with the anime because the pokemon being given out belong to the 3 charecters

Yes? Why do you think the Pokemon have the genders and moves that they do, as well as the whole "being advertised with the anime" thing

MetalFlygon08
18th December 2010, 2:08 AM
At least Yanappu get's a benifical nature, so we get an awsome Seed Bomber ingame, if only Yanappu got more moves level up, lik Razor Leaf.

R_N
18th December 2010, 2:58 AM
At least Yanappu get's a benifical nature, so we get an awsome Seed Bomber ingame, if only Yanappu got more moves level up, lik Razor Leaf.
It doesn't really need more, though. Vine Whip lasts well enough until Seed Bomb, Bite is not horrible and it gets Crunch later, and Acrobat is pretty awesome in general.
I don't know why'd you want Razor Leaf when you have Seed Bomb, though.
Plus you've got Grass Knot if you really want it.
Then, TM wise, you've got Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Energy Ball, Rock Slide...

Lorde
18th December 2010, 3:28 AM
I think I'm enjoying Kibago the most out of the three Pokemon that hatch from those mystery eggs. There's just something about having a Kibago early in the game that tickles my fancy. Yanappu is pretty useful too I suppose, but there's something about Yanappu that I really dislike. Ironically, my mystery egg hatched into a Yanappu; I guess that's karma for you. Mamepato is a weird one. There are tons of wild Mamepato on Route 3, so this event Mamepato is a bit unnecessary. I know that people will still collect these three Pokemon though, just because they tie-in with the anime.

R_N
18th December 2010, 3:44 AM
Well the Mamepato you hatch has Air Cutter early
so that's...something

Ravenous14
18th December 2010, 4:22 AM
those are like, the crappiest eggs in an event, the best is obv Kibago

and it's annoying how Yannapu is one of them, since everybody who chooses Oshawatt or Snivy can get Yannapu aswell -.- I think that puts a real dampener on the whole exclusive factor

spose it's still up to chance though

MetalFlygon08
18th December 2010, 7:07 AM
It doesn't really need more, though. Vine Whip lasts well enough until Seed Bomb, Bite is not horrible and it gets Crunch later, and Acrobat is pretty awesome in general.
I don't know why'd you want Razor Leaf when you have Seed Bomb, though.
Plus you've got Grass Knot if you really want it.
Then, TM wise, you've got Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Energy Ball, Rock Slide...

on that note, why give Oddish Mega Drain, it will learn Giga Drain.

In game vine whip starts sucking by the 2nd gym, and biting fighting types just won't cut it, and you have limited TM access at that point, even Bullet Seed would be nice upon level up.

LexSuicune
18th December 2010, 7:07 PM
Nothing like hatching a Kibago early in-game for me.

Sucks it can't be shiny though.

Snipehsheep
18th December 2010, 7:16 PM
My opinion on the starters

Snivy: Pretty cool, I guess. Reminds me of a treecko.

Janovy: A little bit too similiar to snivy, but I guess it helps show a clear lineage.

Jalorda: Looks cool, except for the face. Looks too... weird, I guess.
Tepig: Cute! A very nice looking pokemon.

Chaoboo: What the heck? Cute little Tepig evolves into something that looks like a fat ten-year old went to wrestling camp?

Enbuoh: Better then Chaobuh, but it looks like they tried to fit too much stuff on it.
Oshawott: Super cute! This guy is definetly my starter.

Futachimu: Pretty cool looking. Should have been part fighting type though, (I Mean, it is based on a samurai, right?)

Daikenki: Looks awesome, and has megahorn. Best starter IMO

Lorde
18th December 2010, 10:29 PM
Nothing like hatching a Kibago early in-game for me.

Sucks it can't be shiny though.

Yeah, Kibago is a pretty cool Pokemon to have around, early in the game. Onondo and Ononokusu aren't my favorite Dragon-type Pokemon, but I can see them being useful at some point. I still don't see much use in Mamepato though. I wonder what people see in the little pigeon Pokemon. And about the mystery egg Pokemon not being Shiny: that does suck. I wish they could be Shiny, but I'm not too surprised that they cannot be since most event Pokemon aren't. That's just the way things are.

Oh God, those screenshots of the Zoroark movie make me want my very own Zoroark. I can't wait for that Wi-Fi Zoroark event.

Rose Storm
19th December 2010, 12:42 AM
It's a pretty good Pokemon to receive in an egg. In fact, if they gave us something like Monozu, it'd be pretty trollish, considering Monozu is going to start sucking around the 4th gym or so, and you won't be able to evolve it at all until the league.

Aurath8
19th December 2010, 12:55 AM
Don't forget, Monozu has Hustle, meaning it can PWN up until around gym 7 if they did give us one. It annoys me how most of the best pokemon evolve very late. I can handle something evolving at 48 but to have an unevolved pokemon at 59 oor 64 is quite ridiculous. Only when you get to after the Nat. dex trainers does your Jiheedo evolve, it still might need some grinding still. Really irks me to think I'm runnig around with an immature pokemon while I'm smashing up a Flygon or something.

Pikacu
19th December 2010, 2:35 PM
but its better this way because it stops people from being to powerful to quickly

XXD17
20th December 2010, 1:31 AM
but its better this way because it stops people from being to powerful to quickly

I heard that was also the same reason why they decided to make jalorda not dragon/grass...however, I heard this on another site a long time ago and can't seem to find a source for verification...

Pikacu
20th December 2010, 5:54 AM
I heard that was also the same reason why they decided to make jalorda not dragon/grass...however, I heard this on another site a long time ago and can't seem to find a source for verification...

that clears up why jalorda looks semi dragonic. ive heard something similar and if they gave something like that early on the game would be to easy hencewhy most dragons are found late game

arceus7
20th December 2010, 6:38 AM
That doesn't make sense since dragons aren't so broken and gible can be found right after the second gym

R_N
20th December 2010, 6:50 AM
That doesn't make sense since dragons aren't so broken and gible can be found right after the second gym
Only in Platinum, where is soundly destroyed everything.
But it was the 3rd version and they like adding those kinds of goodies.

Dracoste
20th December 2010, 8:04 AM
If Jalorda was grass/dragon then Emboar wouldn't really have an advantage over it, cause fire attacks will become neutral effective. And since it can't learn an ice type move like ice punch, it can't get an advantage over it attack wise, except for poison attacks.

Aurath8
20th December 2010, 12:37 PM

All fully evolved Dragon types except Altaria were OU with Salamence and Garchomp sent to Ubers. They are broken.
Gible is at it's first evo and without Earthquake it's pretty bad until it evolves, where it's attack still doesn't even break the 100 mark. It's even in a secret cave that no-one would usually find through normal gameplay as well.

Perversity Jalorda with Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm is wrong in a lot of ways too, especially as the fastest Dragon(not counting Arceus).

Woot! 4000th reply!