PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Hejiru
20th December 2010, 2:56 PM
So do you guys think the english site will reveal more names today? Seems like they're doing it every other Monday. Of course, I could be totally wrong; two mondays do not a pattern make. But it could be a possibility.

SasakiThePikachu
20th December 2010, 8:59 PM
All fully evolved Dragon types except Altaria were OU with Salamence and Garchomp sent to Ubers. They are broken.
Gible is at it's first evo and without Earthquake it's pretty bad until it evolves, where it's attack still doesn't even break the 100 mark. It's even in a secret cave that no-one would usually find through normal gameplay as well.

Perversity Jalorda with Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm is wrong in a lot of ways too, especially as the fastest Dragon(not counting Arceus).

Woot! 4000th reply!

Exactly.

But dragons have naturally better stats and apocalyptic moves - train one into it's third and final stage and you have a creature stronger than your starter and only just short of a legendary. Of course people will use them to death. Like, duh :D

I remember back in first gen, where if you picked up an abra and a dratini along the way, you were set for life lol. I think they have evened it out in BW though, I mean yeah Monozu is awesome and you can cheat (not actually cheat, but technically cheat) and get a friend to trade you an egg over early in game (hehe...guilty), but it doesn't fully evolve until an INSANE level. If that isn't GF making you sweat for the prize, I don't know what is.

GF: *strokes mustache and smiles evilly* Yes, you can have a three-headed dragon made of awesome...if you DANCE for it, you puny mortal! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

R_N
20th December 2010, 9:11 PM
Ironically Sazandora doesn't even get Dragon Dance!

arceus7
20th December 2010, 10:01 PM
and Ironically dragon dance would not help it that much unlike altaria, flygo,dragonite,salamence , onokusu and garchomp

R_N
20th December 2010, 10:14 PM
and Ironically dragon dance would not help it that much unlike altaria, flygo,dragonite,salamence , onokusu and garchomp

That's not irony.
Though it could use the speed boost.

Aurath8
20th December 2010, 10:24 PM
Draggy, Salamence and ononokusu already have Dragon Dance, if you mean it would be useful for them if they had it. And I think Sazandora has a good enough physical movepool for DDing and at least a mixed one with Cheer Up (they give one of the most hellish pokemon Cheer Up?).

Aurath8
20th December 2010, 10:27 PM
Draggy, Salamence and ononokusu already have Dragon Dance, if you mean it would be useful for them if they had it. And I think Sazandora has a good enough physical movepool for DDing and at least a mixed one with Cheer Up (they give one of the most hellish pokemon Cheer Up?).

XXD17
20th December 2010, 10:31 PM

Actually, my sazandora is a mix/phys sweeper with crunch, outrage, EQ, and flamethrower that can greatly benefit from d-dance since it got brave nature with max speed EV's too...

Anyways, a pokemon I really like this generation is chillachino...I jut love its fluffiness...and it's a pretty good sub-breaker/ encore-user/ status inflicter...I never got why it got so much hate, I never thought it looked too much like chillarmy...

Dracoste
20th December 2010, 10:39 PM
A Sazandora with Dragondance!? *shivers* It will become an fast dragon that kicks you butt with physical attacks! I do like him but we should be happy that he haves "Cheer Up", and isn't he strong enough? We just need to "cheer up".

Anyways, a pokemon I really like this generation is chillachino...I jut love its fluffiness...
Yeah I like it too, I already have the moveset, nature and ability figured out for mine when I get Pokémon Black^_^.

Aurath8
20th December 2010, 11:14 PM
A Sazandora with Dragondance!? *shivers* It will become an fast dragon that kicks you butt with physical attacks! I do like him but we should be happy that he haves "Cheer Up", and isn't he strong enough? We just need to "cheer up".

Yeah I like it too, I already have the moveset, nature and ability figured out for mine when I get Pokémon Black^_^.

The only problem with Chillacino is it's lmited movepool. It is pretty awesome if you abuse Skill Link along with Sweep Slap, Bullet Seed and Rock Blast, each having 125 BP each and good accuracy. all it needs is Iciccle Spear/Swords Dance or something and it could be a decent sweeper. keep it away from Ononokusu and it's Mold Breaker and it'll be fine.

Dracoste
20th December 2010, 11:22 PM
The only problem with Chillacino is it's lmited movepool. It is pretty awesome if you abuse Skill Link along with Sweep Slap, Bullet Seed and Rock Blast, each having 125 BP each and good accuracy. all it needs is Iciccle Spear/Swords Dance or something and it could be a decent sweeper. keep it away from Ononokusu and it's Mold Breaker and it'll be fine.

I don't really mind that it has an limited move pool, I can make an decent move pool out of it. And I'm thinking about giving my Chillanchino Technician, Also DW abilitys are currently only availble for an select few of 5th gen pokémon.

I'm thinking about giving it at least: Sweep Slap(base power 37,5), Wake-up Slap(Base power 90) to take on the rock and steel types, sing to make enemys asleep, it will become more easyer to catch wild Poké and Wake-up Slap will hit harder and as fourth move, probably Cheer Up, to raise it's attack. And I'm giving it the Adamant(+atk -spatk) nature.

Oshakpop
20th December 2010, 11:24 PM
Well, The English site has updated (this is going from Serebii's date they posted the news)...

November 22, 2010 - Monday
December 7, 2010 - Tuesday

And it's usually at the end of the day... so that means 15 days apart... which if this is a pattern (unlikely.. but we can dream) that the next time it updates will be this Wednesday, the 22nd. Let's hope it updates sometime this week!

yeminied
20th December 2010, 11:35 PM
It makes sense that all the new Pokémon evolve much, much later than all previous Pokémon. How can a Pokémon finish its evolutions around the fifth gym. Having them evolve after the Elite Four makes much more sense.

And with the dragons evolving really late also is great because dragons are supposedly hard to train so the level system works with that idea.

Dracoste
20th December 2010, 11:42 PM
It makes sense that all the new Pokémon evolve much, much later than all previous Pokémon. How can a Pokémon finish its evolutions around the fifth gym. Having them evolve after the Elite Four makes much more sense.

Also, some pokémon are only catchable late in game, like Kojofu isn't catchable around the seventh gym. You can't catch it till you reached the dragon spiral tower.

I_Dun_Have_One
20th December 2010, 11:57 PM
Then again, it looks like we'll be trucking first-evos for a larger part of the game... Which could be annoying. I like having a nice party of full-evos by the last gym/league. It gives you a feeling of readiness, I guess.

Black&White
20th December 2010, 11:58 PM
I just found and obtained a Tauros. Am I able to breed this Tauros for the DW ability? It's 100% male, so I'm not sure if this works. I assume it doesn't, but I'd still like to know for sure.

Missingno. Master
21st December 2010, 12:01 AM
So do you guys think the english site will reveal more names today? Seems like they're doing it every other Monday. Of course, I could be totally wrong; two mondays do not a pattern make. But it could be a possibility.

I was thinking that too. I'm hoping they reveal either Munna, Gear, and Koromori, or Yanappu, Baoppu, and Hiyappu. Of course, I'd just be happy with them revealing anything.

Or maybe they'll surprise us and reveal something Japan didn't get early, like Crimgan or Ulgamoth.

Dracoste
21st December 2010, 12:02 AM
I just found and obtained a Tauros. Am I able to breed this Tauros for the DW ability? It's 100% male, so I'm not sure if this works. I assume it doesn't, but I'd still like to know for sure.

To get an egg with an DW ability, the female one must have the DW ability. And then you still need luck that the egg contains a pokémon with an DW ability.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st December 2010, 12:14 AM
Then again, it looks like we'll be trucking first-evos for a larger part of the game... Which could be annoying. I like having a nice party of full-evos by the last gym/league. It gives you a feeling of readiness, I guess.

My in-game team was:

Janovy
Darumakka
Koaruhie
Waruvile
Gantle
Harderia

For a good portion of the mid-game and between beating the 6th gym and 8th Gym everything (but Gantle, obviously) evolved and they were more than sufficient (lvl ranging 47-52) for the league which are only about lvl 50 the first time. I just don't think you'd need something like Sazandra or Ulgamoth until post-game/Elite 4 rematches, where everything jumps by 20 levels.

Oshakpop
21st December 2010, 12:18 AM
All I know is that I'm gonna keep checking the website for the rest of the night... just in case.

And to stay on-topic.. I never catch other pokemon for the rematches... I thought about it.. but I used my level 94 Daikenki (sp) and several other over-80 leveled pokemon.. I just find it easier seeming I know what I'm gonna do with them..

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 12:20 AM
Considering that if so many Pokemon evolution levels are high, the trainers you are facing are going to be experiencing the same problems, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem IMO. I hope they make a game some time in the future with E4 levels in the 80s and 90s (of course, your Pokemon would be reaching that point too - imagine how many strong ones you could raise!)

By the way, Sabonea, I meant to ask. How did you find the Snivy line in-game? I've been trying to get as many opinions as I can, because every time I see someone say it's not very good, it makes me want to use it less. Which is a shame, of course.

Mr. E Goods
21st December 2010, 12:23 AM
Ironically Sazandora doesn't even get Dragon Dance!

D; Really?! That is really surprising, It looks like a dragon dancer too XD (like all mystical with its head-hands and all)

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st December 2010, 12:47 AM
By the way, Sabonea, I meant to ask. How did you find the Snivy line in-game? I've been trying to get as many opinions as I can, because every time I see someone say it's not very good, it makes me want to use it less. Which is a shame, of course.

It's not bad, just limited in what it can do, especially because mine has really low special attack and the whole limited move pool thing too. I ran mine with Leaf Blade, Wring Out, Coil and Leech Seed for the league and it did its job (Although Hihidaruma has the most kills on my team, I think). Now I run it with Return instead of Wring Out.

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 12:52 AM
Natures are awkward with Jalorda, really you don't want any of its stats lowering. I'll probably reset until I get one with a neutral nature (bashful, docile etc.)

Anyway, about the whole English names thing... I'm wondering which ones they will actually reveal first. I mean, at the beginning of this month, people were predicting the release dates to be released by New Year, but I doubt that's happening now. What was the process in Generation IV?

Lorde
21st December 2010, 12:55 AM
And it's usually at the end of the day... so that means 15 days apart... which if this is a pattern (unlikely.. but we can dream) that the next time it updates will be this Wednesday, the 22nd. Let's hope it updates sometime this week!

I would love for there to be an update on the 22nd, but do they usually update the Pokemon site so close to the holidays?

Anyway, I was planning on choosing Snivy as my starter Pokemon in the English Black version, but I'm still not sure that's the best choice. I don't like Jalorda's limited movepool and I don't do well in the games unless my main Pokemon has a diverse movepool. I might still chose Snivy as my starter Pokemon, and then just use another Pokemon as my main fighter, but I've never played a Pokemon game without having used my starter Pokemon as my main fighter. It might be weird, but I'll give it a try when the games are out in America.

R_N
21st December 2010, 1:04 AM
It's not bad, just limited in what it can do, especially because mine has really low special attack and the whole limited move pool thing too. I ran mine with Leaf Blade, Wring Out, Coil and Leech Seed for the league and it did its job (Although Hihidaruma has the most kills on my team, I think). Now I run it with Return instead of Wring Out.

If I remember correctly, mario with lasers said the thing just would not die
And he was running a nuzlocke

Aurath8
21st December 2010, 1:04 AM
Well for Jalorda it can only really have about 2 movesets.
Jalorda@Leftovers
Adamant/Overgrow
Leaf Blade|Coil|Return/leech Seed|Dragon Tail
or
Jalorda@Choice Scarf
Modest/Perversity
Leaf Storm|Giga Drain|Hidden Power(Ground)|Trollface

Really depends on the ability, but this is pretty much it.

On the topic of late evolving: Evolving is basically maturing, rather than getting stronger. I don't see why a lot of unworthy pokemon like Bachura evolve so late. I'm fine with Dragons and everything but average pokemon such as this really need to be evolving closer to 30, as 37 is just before the 8th gym.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st December 2010, 1:07 AM
Natures are awkward with Jalorda, really you don't want any of its stats lowering. I'll probably reset until I get one with a neutral nature (bashful, docile etc.)

Indeed, it's probably wiser. I got a female on my first go though, so I just left it as is.

Anyway, I was planning on choosing Snivy as my starter Pokemon in the English Black version, but I'm still not sure that's the best choice. I don't like Jalorda's limited movepool and I don't do well in the games unless my main Pokemon has a diverse movepool. I might still chose Snivy as my starter Pokemon, and then just use another Pokemon as my main fighter, but I've never played a Pokemon game without having used my starter Pokemon as my main fighter. It might be weird, but I'll give it a try when the games are out in America.

Well through TMs it gets Dragon, Fighting, Normal, or Flying. And there's always HP. Breeding gives you access to Dark and Steel, too. If only there was a physical grass-type earthquake clone. That'd make me very happy.

It does the job it was designed to, and does it fairly well but it's not setting the world on fire.

...Now just waiting for Munna's English name to be confirmed as Pnkflowerz

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 1:11 AM
Haha, I love the wording on the official Pokemon website. 'Introducing amazing new Pokemon!' Speaking for themselves aren't they? Not that I'm arguing with them, Zorua and Zoroark ARE amazing.

R_N
21st December 2010, 2:37 AM
Something random I just noticed, but remember that super fuzzy picture from ages ago? From the same demo showing that showed us Minezumi and Hatooboo? And it had a double battle with some green thing we could never figure out but kind of looked like an owl?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/32/Spr_5b_541.png
It had to have been Kurumayu!

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 2:42 AM
Kay, so the official website updated with some info on the shiny legendary beasts in the US. Check it out: http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/us/#/news/trio/

Either that or I'm extremely late.

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 2:43 AM
No, that's new.

It's good news, but I can't imagine anyone's really surprised. It's a key movie-related event, and one that unlocks an exclusive Pokémon in the upcoming next generation. They certainly weren't going to deny North America the crown beasts.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st December 2010, 2:46 AM
Something random I just noticed, but remember that super fuzzy picture from ages ago? From the same demo showing that showed us Minezumi and Hatooboo? And it had a double battle with some green thing we could never figure out but kind of looked like an owl?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/32/Spr_5b_541.png

Ahaha, that's awesome :p

And remember the green blob from the opening video that showed off Pururiru and Tabunne - after all that (and seeing everything from birds to crocodiles) it was Yanappu.

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 2:50 AM
True, although they naturally deny Europe the beasts... not that we're not used to that happening by now.

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 2:54 AM
True, although they naturally deny Europe the beasts... not that we're not used to that happening by now.

Nintendo of America's Pokémon website is not in the business of announcing European releases and events.

Blueysicle
21st December 2010, 2:58 AM

Do you still have that picture? Because I remember one screenshot with what everyone thought was an owl that was eventually proven fake. Or maybe I'm thinking of something different.

And what do you suppose the chances are that they'll deny the Celebi Event to America? Pokemon USA (Or whoever organizes the events) has a nasty habit of denying Americans access to the little green fairy...

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 3:02 AM
Pokemon USA (Or whoever organizes the events) has a nasty habit of denying Americans access to the little green fairy...

No, they don't. You can see for yourself here:

http://serebii.net/events/dex/251.shtml

Celebi's only actually ever been given away as a standalone event once, an event they matched in North America. There was no GB Mobile Adapter to facilitate the G/S Ball giveaway in the 2nd generation and the Colosseum bonus disc was simply subject to whatever reasons they had for not giving that out in North America.

North America has never been denied an actual event Celebi that Japan got, and given that this Celebi is a movie event, which almost never get skipped, there's no reason to think North America will be denied this one.

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 3:06 AM
Oh. Didn't quite realise it was specifically NOA's website. I was under the impression that there was one website for all regions. Sorry.

Lorde
21st December 2010, 3:14 AM
Haha, I love the wording on the official Pokemon website. 'Introducing amazing new Pokemon!' Speaking for themselves aren't they? Not that I'm arguing with them, Zorua and Zoroark ARE amazing.

The Unova foxes are pretty amazing. I watched the 13th movie yesterday and I totally fell for Zoroark's charm. I'm definitely going to use one in Black version. I'm looking forward to getting one of those Crown Beasts so that I can find my own Zoroark in the Lost Forst of Unova. I recall doing the Zoroark event there in my Japanese White version, and I remember knocking Zoroark out several times. The first time was on accident and I freaked out, but when I went back I noticed that Zoroark (in the form of a woman) was still there. I really like Pokemon that instantly respawn.

R_N
21st December 2010, 3:32 AM
Do you still have that picture? Because I remember one screenshot with what everyone thought was an owl that was eventually proven fake. Or maybe I'm thinking of something different.

You're thinking of the other, public demo, from the bus tour that showed us Darumakka, Tabunne, Basurau, and Emonga (via pamphlet) that had fake Gigaiasu preevo, fake emoga sprite, and fake floweryvasewater thing that you people kept thinking was an owl because ???

Mario with Lasers
21st December 2010, 4:07 AM
That thing was anything BUT a...

Well that thing wasn't anything to be honest.

Grei
21st December 2010, 4:54 AM

The picture Snowyarticuno's referring to is a really fuzzy picture from a demo that was going on about midway through the pre-BW era (between when BW was announced and the time of release). Nobody could really tell what it was, although most people figured it could possibly be Budew if not an all-new Pokemon.

Speaking of that demo, I'm still peeved we didn't get any information from it. Wasn't there a pamphlet that was supposed to be available with info on the games? Maybe it just didn't have any new information...

Anyway, I'm excited the Shiny Beasts will be coming to America. Perhaps I'm reading incorrectly, but I take it anyone is able to get all three beasts on a single copy, which is why the distribution dates are different for each beast?

That's neat. It eliminates the need to choose between the three (not that I would need to, now that I have Platinum). Now the question is which copy I'll put them on...

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 5:03 AM
Perhaps I'm reading incorrectly, but I take it anyone is able to get all three beasts on a single copy, which is why the distribution dates are different for each beast?

You have it right. Think of it as three completely separate events, each about a week in length and about a week apart.

Grei
21st December 2010, 5:09 AM
You have it right. Think of it as three completely separate events, each about a week in length and about a week apart.

Sweet business. That works much better than Japan's version of the event.

R_N
21st December 2010, 5:14 AM
Speaking of that demo, I'm still peeved we didn't get any information from it. Wasn't there a pamphlet that was supposed to be available with info on the games? Maybe it just didn't have any new information...

We did. In fact, we got a lot of information out of it. Both of them, even!

The first one was a closed event, probably just to the press or maybe stockholders? It showed us wild double battles, Hatooboo, Minezumi and probably Kurumayu (not that we could tell what it was but).

The second one showed us a route, a gym (well ,the location of one), 4 new Pokemon, seasonal changes, a few moves for the starters and more specifics on wild double battles. Also maybe Shikijika time frame on that is a bit iffy for me.

The one thing we didn't get out of this, was the end-of-demo thing that happened. Pokemon Sunday teased it by showing everyone being all OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but not showing what happened. No one who played ever said what happened, either. The event was subtitlted "Find the legendary Pokemon!" or something along those lines, but we never found out what it was that happened.

Grei
21st December 2010, 5:21 AM
We did. In fact, we got a lot of information out of it. Both of them, even!

The first one was a closed event, probably just to the press or maybe stockholders? It showed us wild double battles, Hatooboo, Minezumi and probably Kurumayu (not that we could tell what it was but).

The second one showed us a route, a gym (well ,the location of one), 4 new Pokemon, seasonal changes, a few moves for the starters and more specifics on wild double battles. Also maybe Shikijika time frame on that is a bit iffy for me.

The one thing we didn't get out of this, was the end-of-demo thing that happened. Pokemon Sunday teased it by showing everyone being all OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but not showing what happened. No one who played ever said what happened, either. The event was subtitlted "Find the legendary Pokemon!" or something along those lines, but we never found out what it was that happened.

Wasn't there a pamphlet with information from that first one, though? I only remember blurry pictures and word of mouth giving us information from that one, and that people were saying a pamphlet with information was available there.

Maybe I just misunderstood that or something, can't remember.

I wasn't referring to the bus demo when I said we didn't get much information from it, though. I considered that a similar-but-unrelated demo.

R_N
21st December 2010, 5:31 AM
Wasn't there a pamphlet with information from that first one, though? I only remember blurry pictures and word of mouth giving us information from that one, and that people were saying a pamphlet with information was available there.

Maybe I just misunderstood that or something, can't remember.

I wasn't referring to the bus demo when I said we didn't get much information from it, though. I considered that a similar-but-unrelated demo.

Oh right, that pamphlet was small thing that showed us the names of Rankurusu & Gocherizeru (though we got their names flip flopped) as well as showing us Wonder Room.
There was other info but I think it was mostly old

Dracoste
21st December 2010, 8:05 AM

They also gave us the Darkrai with Spacial Rand and Roar of time and Regigigas that unlocks the other three regis, those were released tied with the movies they were in. So I think we probably also gets the three crown beasts and maybe Celebi,

Oshakpop
21st December 2010, 9:16 AM
Oh, it seems Pokemon.com has updated saying the movie premiere's in Febuary.. YAY! And the English trailer!

Rose Storm
21st December 2010, 2:15 PM
Could that possibly hint an April release of B/W in the rest of the world? Considering that the movie came out roughly two months before the release of the game in Japan and such. I was hoping for a March release, but eh, who knows when the game could come out.

LexSuicune
21st December 2010, 9:05 PM
April? I thouht the games were gonne be released March 15th :/

yeminied
21st December 2010, 9:44 PM
Is there any news on an Australian release for the Shiny Beast event?

Dracoste
21st December 2010, 10:00 PM
Is there any news on an Australian release for the Shiny Beast event?

The only pages on the official pokémon site that haves an update about the events of the crown beasts are the United states (http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/us/) and Canada(EN) (http://www.pokemongoldsilver.com/ca/).

BCVM22
21st December 2010, 10:10 PM
Could that possibly hint an April release of B/W in the rest of the world?

Not in and of itself, no.

I thouht the games were gonne be released March 15th :/

There is still no set release date. Any Sunday from mid-March to mid-April is potentially a candidate.

bugcatchersdream
22nd December 2010, 2:30 AM
My birthday's in Mid-march, so I always get around $50 from my grandparents just before the new games come out in the US.

Snipehsheep
22nd December 2010, 7:20 PM
One thing I liked in this Generation, is more fire types!

In 4th we had 5 new fire types,Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape, Magmortar, and Heatran. Which made Chimchar (and Evolutions) the only fire type pokemon you could get from Early-to late game. (While you could catch Ponyta, I only like to use pokemon from the generation of the game)

In 5th We have Tepig and evolutions, The two fire-monkeys, Hihidaruma line, Hitomoshi line, and Reshiram, making 11 pokemon, much better then a pitiful 5 pokemon

R_N
22nd December 2010, 7:46 PM
One thing I liked in this Generation, is more fire types!

In 4th we had 5 new fire types,Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape, Magmortar, and Heatran. Which made Chimchar (and Evolutions) the only fire type pokemon you could get from Early-to late game. (While you could catch Ponyta, I only like to use pokemon from the generation of the game)

In 5th We have Tepig and evolutions, The two fire-monkeys, Hihidaruma line, Hitomoshi line, and Reshiram, making 11 pokemon, much better then a pitiful 5 pokemon

And Victini and the anteater

Rose Storm
22nd December 2010, 8:11 PM
April? I thouht the games were gonne be released March 15th :/
Where did you get that from? I haven't heard that anywhere else, but that'd be great if it was true (even though it's likely not).

I agree with the Fire-types thing; it was funny how Flint could only have two Fire-types in D/P. Seems as if they didn't feel like giving him a copypasta team, like Phoebe and Glacia in Generation III. I'm not a fan of Fire-types myself, but I love Shandera.

Mario with Lasers
22nd December 2010, 8:35 PM
And Victini and the anteater

And Rotom-Heat after the E4!

XXD17
22nd December 2010, 8:50 PM
And Rotom-Heat after the E4!

Don't forget houndour, houndoom, vulpix and ninetales :)

tmega90
22nd December 2010, 9:18 PM
I am glad their are more fire types in Black and White too. I was disappointed with the really small amount of them that were in Diamond and Pearl.

SasakiThePikachu
22nd December 2010, 9:37 PM
hang on a mo - you can only get those legendary dogs if you have 2 or less wonder cards, right?

so if you've done the lati event, the arceus event and the fal mew event (like me), you can't download any dogs...? and even if you've never done an event, you'd surely only be able to download 2/3, right?

or do all the dogs only count as 1 wondercard?

I'm confused! *grumps*

Dracoste
22nd December 2010, 9:42 PM
The lack of fire types in gen 4 made, chosing Turtwig as your starter, your adventure a little bit too easy. I'm glad they added more fire types, I don't think I'm using any, but it makes it more challenging for grass and ice pokémon.

Grei
22nd December 2010, 9:55 PM
Even playing through Platinum, the amount of Fire-types I have to choose from is infuriating (especially since a number of them are no good or mediocre at best).

I'm happy that BW evened it out a bit, and made Darumakka available early enough on. It makes forming a team easier.

Dracoste
22nd December 2010, 9:58 PM
hang on a mo - you can only get those legendary dogs if you have 2 or less wonder cards, right?

so if you've done the lati event, the arceus event and the fal mew event (like me), you can't download any dogs...? and even if you've never done an event, you'd surely only be able to download 2/3, right?

or do all the dogs only count as 1 wondercard?

I'm confused! *grumps*

Uhhhhhh....Sasaki....You know that you can delete your (used)wonder cards....right?

Lorde
22nd December 2010, 10:07 PM
I'm happy that BW evened it out a bit, and made Darumakka available early enough on. It makes forming a team easier.

Yup, I'm glad that Darumakka is pretty common early on too, in the Resort Desert. I was planning on using a Fire-type Pokemon but I didn't want to wait for the Hihidaruma event at the Ancient Castle, so I decided to capture a Darumakka and just use that throughout the game instead. I rather train a Fire-type Pokemon from scratch than wait until post-game to have a strong Fire-type on my team. There's just something about Darumakka/Hihidaruma that I like so I must have one on my team.

Mario with Lasers
22nd December 2010, 10:15 PM
Don't forget houndour, houndoom, vulpix and ninetales :)

I was talking about new Fire-type pokémon actually but yeah, don't forget Rapidash either!

R_N
22nd December 2010, 10:37 PM
I was talking about new Fire-type pokémon actually but yeah, don't forget Rapidash either!

And Flarehahahahahahahahahahahahaha

SasakiThePikachu
23rd December 2010, 1:03 AM
Uhhhhhh....Sasaki....You know that you can delete your (used)wonder cards....right?

Ehehe...this I did not know.

So, erm, at the risk of sounding stupid (since that ship has kinda sailed)...

...how is this done??

And by the way, I find this a strange system. Are you supposed to keep the best wonder cards as souvenirs or something and delete the others? o.O

Aw, well. This is good news. Being the n00b that I am, I thought I'd be restricted from now on for any wifi downloads *wipes sweat from brow*

XXD17
23rd December 2010, 1:42 AM
Ehehe...this I did not know.

So, erm, at the risk of sounding stupid (since that ship has kinda sailed)...

...how is this done??

And by the way, I find this a strange system. Are you supposed to keep the best wonder cards as souvenirs or something and delete the others? o.O

Aw, well. This is good news. Being the n00b that I am, I thought I'd be restricted from now on for any wifi downloads *wipes sweat from brow*

Just start your game and instead of clicking on the start game, click on mystery gift at the beginning and them I believe you can view your cards and trash them if you want...there are options

LexSuicune
23rd December 2010, 2:19 AM
So here's a new topic of discussion...

Do you think we'll be getting more versions of Shikijika, perhaps Monzoon? XD.

BCVM22
23rd December 2010, 2:22 AM
No. "Monsoon" isn't an actual calendrical season any more than "tornado season" or "hurricane season" are, and furthermore, monsoon season is fairly limited in how much of the world it covers, whereas just about every inhabited region of the planet has winter, spring, summer and fall to some degree as far as temperatures and precipitation.

SasakiThePikachu
23rd December 2010, 2:39 AM
Just start your game and instead of clicking on the start game, click on mystery gift at the beginning and them I believe you can view your cards and trash them if you want...there are options

Thank you!

Well, that was a real facepalm moment. I have a picture of Munna on my wall, and I swear, even that little guy looks embarrassed for me *headdesk*

so...is anyone else going to miss the pokemon following you around?

Rose Storm
23rd December 2010, 3:07 AM
Quite a lot of places don't have spring or autumn. Just a wet and dry season.

I'll definitely miss them following you around. It's a shame, it really linked bonds between trainers and Pokemon. I swear I nearly melted when my Typhlosion started hugging me... it was adorable!

BCVM22
23rd December 2010, 3:11 AM
Quite a lot of places don't have spring or autumn. Just a wet and dry season.

And even with that being so, they are still extensions of the calender seasons even if all four of them are not distinctly present in a certain location.

Nitpicking can continue if it must - this place doesn't have this season, that place has this season - but I think the point is clear enough.

Rose Storm
23rd December 2010, 3:14 AM
I know, I understand your point. The places where they don't have falling leaves and growing flowers probably aren't too into Pokemon, anyway. I don't think there's really any further you can go with Shikijika; it's pretty cool as is, anyway. Winter Mebukijika looks amazing.

BCVM22
23rd December 2010, 3:19 AM
It does look quite majestic. Like Bambi's father.

Luxrayess
23rd December 2010, 3:36 AM
I'll definitely miss them following you around. It's a shame, it really linked bonds between trainers and Pokemon. I swear I nearly melted when my Typhlosion started hugging me... it was adorable!

I'll even miss the times when they try to steal food from Olivine Cafe, chew computer cables in Bill's house, and try to eat trash they find lying around in the Miltank Barn. (I won't miss, however, the times my Blaziken, Tso, got all moody from the slightest contact with water.)

I wouldn't be suprised if they brought partner Pokes back for Chrome or the hypotheical RSE remakes.

Ravenous14
23rd December 2010, 3:52 AM
I think, on the topic of seasons, that Nintendo should change the seasons in conjunction with the southern part of the earth, you know, the parts of the earth where Summer is in December instead of Winter, etc.

doubt they will, but it'd be nice

BCVM22
23rd December 2010, 4:00 AM
Except for where the seasons don't correspond to the real seasonal calendar. Each month in a set of four - Jan/Feb/March/April, May/June/July/August, September/October/November/December - is one season (spring, summer, autumn, winter) and the cycle runs three times in a full year.

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/seasons.shtml

Mario with Lasers
23rd December 2010, 4:16 AM
And why would they change the season system to match the Southern Hemisphere's anyway. I mean, USA and Europe are in the Northern one... And I don't think Nintendo of Oceania (?) would even bother with it.

R_N
23rd December 2010, 4:35 AM
And it's not like they ever bother to do that with games where seasons actually matter (Animal Crossing)

Grei
23rd December 2010, 5:38 AM

I don't quite understand it. Between that and the return to a list format for the bag menu, I feel some things in Black and White could have been steps forward instead of steps back. I'm not really complaining, it just sort of felt like the more organized bag and the following Pokemon in HGSS were steps forward and it's weird that they aren't present in a next-gen game, to me anyway.

Lorde
23rd December 2010, 6:27 AM

Sorta, kinda, yeah. I really liked having our Pokemon following us around in HG/SS and I was looking forward to having our Pokemon following us in B/W, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. I was looking forward to walking around with Zorua, but that ain't happening. They gave Zorua an overworld sprite for the Celebi event in Hiun City, but it only appears for about 5 seconds and then it disappears, never to be seen again. Having Zorua following me around in the deserts, in the forests, by the sea, and in the snow would've been so boss. Oh well, at least I can dream of traveling with Zorua behind me...

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l629/zoruamaa/blackov.pnghttp://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l629/zoruamaa/zoruaov.png

Dracoste
23rd December 2010, 8:18 AM

Yes I do, to get used to the idea that my pokémon doesn't follow me I'm replaying FR now.
But GF let out a quite a lot of other things:Battle frontier, move tutors, rebatling gym leaders, moving sprites for gym leaders and Elite 4.
Past gen they added a lot of new pokémon in the third version to the regional dex, but now they can't do that to "Gray/Chrome", so they excluded those things in order to make "Gray/Chrome" newer instead of only adding a new story.
So perhapsapokémon walking behind you will come back in "Gray/Chrome". However, I would like an option so that you can choose if you want your pokémon walking behind you or not.

SasakiThePikachu
23rd December 2010, 5:06 PM
Yes I do, to get used to the idea that my pokémon doesn't follow me I'm replaying FR now.
But GF let out a quite a lot of other things:Battle frontier, move tutors, rebatling gym leaders, moving sprites for gym leaders and Elite 4.
Past gen they added a lot of new pokémon in the third version to the regional dex, but now they can't do that to "Gray/Chrome", so they excluded those things in order to make "Gray/Chrome" newer instead of only adding a new story.
So perhapsapokémon walking behind you will come back in "Gray/Chrome". However, I would like an option so that you can choose if you want your pokémon walking behind you or not.

Agreed - I found it adorable, but yeah it would be nice to choose, so that everyone would be happy.

Also agreed Grei - it does seem like an illogical step backwards (and the move tutor and rebattle removal I find incomprehensible), but we can pray for it to return in Gray/Chrome. The 156 new pokes are fantastic enough, but imagining their tiny little sprites following me is...it's just...*leans back and stares into space, drooling*

Yes, Rose Storm!! My 'aww isn't that cute' moment was outside the safari zone gate, when my meganium starting chewing my shoes. I didn't have the heart to tell her off x3

LexSuicune
23rd December 2010, 5:14 PM
Maybe we can have our Pokemon following us in the third version of BW? :/

Dracoste
23rd December 2010, 5:32 PM
it does seem like an illogical step backwards (and the move tutor and rebattle removal I find incomprehensible), but we can pray for it to return in Gray/Chrome.

They probably removed those in B/W so that they can add it in Gray/Chrome, it does sounds a bit illogical, but otherwise they couldn't add that much to Gray/Chrome. If they take an step back, they can make an bigger step forward...At least, that's how I see it.

The Flash
23rd December 2010, 7:56 PM
I'm getting tired of all the Fire/Fighting starting combo. Its what? 3 straight now? Can't they come up with something new? Hell, even pure fire would be a nice change.

I think a Fire/Psychic starter would be a nice change.

Dracoste
23rd December 2010, 8:04 PM
I'm getting tired of all the Fire/Fighting starting combo. Its what? 3 straight now? Can't they come up with something new? Hell, even pure fire would be a nice change.

I think a Fire/Psychic starter would be a nice change.

They do have the same type, but they are 3 totally different pokémon.
And you won't see them all 3 in your journey through Unova, will you.
It's an new gen, new pokémon, new region, just play the game like the last 4 gens doesn't exist...However....a different type combination would be nice....But anyway, just enjoy this gen for now^_^

Lorde
23rd December 2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe we can have our Pokemon following us in the third version of BW? :/

Most likely. In one of the future games, not necessarily the third version, but maybe in a re-make of an earlier game or something. I definitely see it returning.

Anyway, I was taking a look at Fushide's evolutionary line and I spotted that Hoiiga thing. I sort of missed that Pokemon since it doesn't look too exciting. It reminds me of another Bug-type Pokemon for some reason. Maybe it's the purple-colored protective shell around its body and those spike-like projections it has all around. I also noticed that its Japanese name is based on the word for wheel and I do kind of see its resemblance to a car tire. I could totally see Hoiiga just rolling around the forests where it makes its home.

bippacooleth
23rd December 2010, 10:25 PM
I was so sure in the pre-release era that the pokemon following feature would return and I was gutted when it didn't :( it does seem a little odd that they would remove such a cool extra, but I suppose that there is some kind of reasoning behind it.

The change backwards in bag organisation is something I did not know about however, and Game Freak can be assured that this is unforgivable

I'm playing through Platinum now and it is SUCH a pain to go down the entire list for my lucky egg/exp share/repels at the bottom! HG/SS SYSTEM WAS AMAZING WHY WHY WHY

Slowemperor
23rd December 2010, 10:48 PM
The following Pokemon was my favourite addition to pokémon since Double Battles. I'd rather have it than Triple Battles (too much pokémon... 2-on-2 was juuuuuuuust right). It gave more dinamic to our avatar (something costumisable!), it helped us "bound" (to the extent you can "bound" with a virtual animal) with our team, it made us feel more like a trainer. And then... they took it away. I hope it will be back for the RSE remakes.

arceus7
23rd December 2010, 11:45 PM
I bet 50 dollars that there will not be an RSE remake this generation

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 12:03 AM
I bet 50 dollars that there will not be an RSE remake this generation

I'm going to regret this, but ok, why would you bet $50 on this?

arceus7
24th December 2010, 12:21 AM
Oh well that would be the ammount for both the RSE remakes,and I just pilfered 50 dollars during poker the other day from my cousin :D

I know I am right since why would anyone make a remake of a remake ?

seriously.

However RS remakes... that I sincerely doubt will get remakes this gen.Its rather stupid

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 12:26 AM
Which doesn't answer as to why you would bet Internet bucks on them not happening.

arceus7
24th December 2010, 12:30 AM
Internet bucks? oh no I mean real money as I have had this ongoing arguement with alot of people for a while ( people I know in real life.)

R_N
24th December 2010, 12:35 AM
You still haven't answered why you think Ruby & Sapphire won't be remade

bugcatchersdream
24th December 2010, 12:42 AM
Because you could transfer Pokemon from the originals to the remakes.

yeminied
24th December 2010, 12:42 AM
I see the Pokémon following you feature returning in the eventual Ruby and Sapphire remakes. Professor Elm wanted you to have your Pokémon following you to see if it influenced the Pokémon in any way rather than being trapped inside a Pokéball.

Professor Birch may want you to have your Pokémon follow you because that way the Pokémon would be in their natural environment more so could influence their growth in some way.

I can see this being a tradition for remake games as a way to help the professor in their research.

BTW is their any area of study that Professor Araragi specialises in. Oak had general. Elm had eggs. Birch had environment. Rowan had evolution. Does Araragi have anything?

R_N
24th December 2010, 12:45 AM
BTW is their any area of study that Professor Araragi specialises in. Oak had general. Elm had eggs. Birch had environment. Rowan had evolution. Does Araragi have anything?

I want to say she researches legends, but I'm not 100% certain

Dracoste
24th December 2010, 12:47 AM
I actually hopes there's going to be an RS remake, I missed that gen(I only saw the animé and played the GC versions) and they did an RB and GS remake, then why not an RS remake(in like 6 years we probably also get an DP remake).

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 12:57 AM
Because you could transfer Pokemon from the originals to the remakes.

Which isn't a prohibitive factor.

One, Ruby and Sapphire are eight years old and more importantly, out of print. Nintendo and Game Freak aren't going to look at a product they don't actually manufacture anymore and consider it a viable option for anything.

Two, the DS Lite is the last piece of hardware Nintendo manufactures that can play GBA games. The medium itself is defunct and as soon as production of the DS Lite/i/XL ceases - which happens shortly after the 3DS is released, one imagines, and thus long before we're due for more Pokémon core titles - there will be no currently-manufactured hardware capable of playing or using GBA titles.

Three, between the 3rd generation and D/P/Pt, you could have filled your Pokédex completely, as most of the Johto-exclusive critters were available in FR/LG, and yet we got HG/SS regardless.

R_N
24th December 2010, 1:09 AM
Which isn't a prohibitive factor.

One, Ruby and Sapphire are eight years old and more importantly, out of print. Nintendo and Game Freak aren't going to look at a product they don't actually manufacture anymore and consider it a viable option for anything.

Two, the DS Lite is the last piece of hardware Nintendo manufactures that can play GBA games. The medium itself is defunct and as soon as production of the DS Lite/i/XL ceases - which happens shortly after the 3DS is released, one imagines, and thus long before we're due for more Pokémon core titles - there will be no currently-manufactured hardware capable of playing or using GBA titles.

Three, between the 3rd generation and D/P/Pt, you could have filled your Pokédex completely, as most of the Johto-exclusive critters were available in FR/LG, and yet we got HG/SS regardless.

To make no mention that in order to transfer from RSE to BW you need to transfer them from RSE to DPtHG or SS on a DS/DSlite & then acquire a second DS and transfer the Pokemon from your 4th gen game to your BW version of choice

RaoZaoku
24th December 2010, 1:13 AM
I want to say she researches legends, but I'm not 100% certain

In the game her dad says she specializes in Pokemon origin.
So where they came from.
At one point i the game she asks you to find Gear so she can study it, then she says that it mysteriously appeared 100 years ago. Then goes on to say where did pokemon come from like she was crazy interested.

R_N
24th December 2010, 1:20 AM
In the game her dad says she specializes in Pokemon origin.
So where they came from.
At one point i the game she asks you to find Gear so she can study it, then she says that it mysteriously appeared 100 years ago. Then goes on to say where did pokemon come from like she was crazy interested.

Oh hey this is actually super interesting
Considering the possibilities behind Kyurem, I could see her having a bit of exposition on this matter in game 3.

So Gear showed up 100 years ago, and Oobemu's family showed up around 50 years ago.
I wonder if they are somehow connected?

arceus7
24th December 2010, 1:30 AM
oh I don't know maybe because many of the pokemon from hoenn are accessible through HGSS, the reason why rby and gs were remade because the games could not connect to the new games. This however still exists and there really isn't a reason to make RS remakes besides milking money and spending it. I think overall it would be a stupid idea. The gameboy advanced is not completely defunct as its still widely sold and making money.

So the hakase's include the all around pokemon studier maniac Okido Hakase(Prof. Oak),the one interested in eggs and human effect on pokemon Prof Elm, the studier of pokemon in their natural enviroments Prof Birch , the one who specializes in evoloution and its effect, prof Rowan and the one who delves into the origins of it all , Prof Araragi( she would have been much more useful in Sinnoh)

RaoZaoku
24th December 2010, 1:34 AM
Yeah she would have been much more helpful in Sinnoh lmao.
But now in the third game she might tell us where Kyurem came from.
And I forget who Oobemu was x_x

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 1:39 AM
oh I don't know maybe because many of the pokemon from hoenn are accessible through HGSS

Which, again, is now a generation defunct. You could get most of Johto's set in FR/LG and Emerald, and yet what pair of games was released a year ago?

the reason why rby and gs were remade because the games could not connect to the new games.

No. They were made because they would sell. And they did. Connectivity and age of their forebearers was completely and entirely secondary. The additional reasons as to why this fact is meaningless have already been discussed.

This however still exists and there really isn't a reason to make RS remakes besides milking money and spending it.

People still seem to have trouble coming to grips with this.

Hey kids, guess what? Nintendo and Game Freak? They're businesses. Businesses exist to make money. How is this so hard to get over? Yes, they're going to make products that will make them money! Why is this a problem and why are people unable to accept this?

I think overall it would be a stupid idea.

Thanks for sharing. Pretty sure it's not your opinion that matters. Or mine, in the interest of equality.

The gameboy advanced is not completely defunct as its still widely sold and making money.

Ohhhhh no no no no. No. No. No. The GBA has been defunct for years and has been out of production for longer than that. It is not still widely sold and it is not still making money for any parties that matter.

I hope you didn't actually bet $50 on this.

arceus7
24th December 2010, 1:47 AM
like I said, this generation. I bet it on RSE as Emerald is NOT getting a remake

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 1:48 AM
Which, while true, has nothing to do with anything.

RaoZaoku
24th December 2010, 2:38 AM
Oh yeah...
I just remembered that you find out N's last name in his room on his basketball.
Too bad I forgot what it was...started with an H and sounded like royalty.
Just remembered it was Harmonia.

Mario with Lasers
24th December 2010, 2:58 AM
RSE are getting sequels, not remakes.

MARK MY WORDS GUYS

RaoZaoku
24th December 2010, 3:07 AM
RSE are getting sequels, not remakes.

MARK MY WORDS GUYS

Let me get out my handy dandy notebook.

lindsy95
24th December 2010, 5:17 AM
Oh yeah...
I just remembered that you find out N's last name in his room on his basketball.
Too bad I forgot what it was...started with an H and sounded like royalty.
Just remembered it was Harmonia.

Huh, really?
Makes me think of the word 'harmony'
or harmonica

you sure it was his last name, and not someithng else?

Pikacu
24th December 2010, 5:28 AM
If that is his last name it would sort of make sense because he does want harmony between pokemon and people but he doesnt beleive that pokemon should be used as 'tools'

RaoZaoku
24th December 2010, 5:41 AM
Yeah it's his last name.
After you beat N at his castle his father Geechisu comes out and says he wants to rule the world etc, and says that N shames the Harmonia name. Then he battles you with his epic theme on.

SasakiThePikachu
24th December 2010, 4:04 PM
N' last name is Harmonia?

That's a lame name for a dude. Seriously. They couldn't have come up with anything better that still means 'harmony'? He's named after Aphrodite's daughter, for cheesecake's sake. I bet he got the crap kicked out of him at school.

Hm, I disagree that r/s/e remakes need to be made. BCVM22 I completely understand your argument, and yeah GF and Nintendo are businesses and hungry for money, and remakes will make money because fans like us will flock like eager sheep to buy them, and so yeah they will be made. I'd bet my arceus on it (I don't have internet dollars :P). But do I personally think they need to be made? No. I still have a GBA, plus all of my third gen carts, and if I need to get pokes from the 3rd gen to the 5th gen, I'll just pal park em, then trade em (Yeah, I have 2 DSs). Or, y'know, use wifi and GTS. I'm aware that not everyone has this luxury, but there are other options if you're really desperate:

Buy the 3rd gen games 2nd hand, cheap. You can get them on amazon for a steal.

Buy a GBA cheap. See above.

I know a lot of people will argue that's too much of a stretch to be bothered with, but my logic is if it can be done, even at a stretch, remakes are not necessary. 3rd gen games can communicate with the 5th gen, just in a very, very roundabout way. Whereas 2nd gen games needed remakes, because they could not communicate with future games full stop.

And as for the argument that the DS is becoming defunct, well, I have nothing to say but a growl of resigned displeasure. My DS lite will play the B&W generation just fine, so I have no plans to upgrade. I don't know why anyone would want a DSI anyway; the flaming things are region locked, which is again (I'm sensing a pattern here) a big step backwards from the DS's region free loveliness, and the 3DS won't be able to play GBA games, meaning I've spent hundreds on games that I'll never be able to play again. Maybe if our technology crazed society just bought the consoles it needed and wasn't obsessed with getting the latest ones just 'cos they're the latest ones, even though they didn't really upgrade much from the last console, we wouldn't have this problem. Eh? Eh? (Yeah, I'm grumpy today. Sorry.).

But yeah, the RSE remakes will be made. As BCVM22 already stated, necessity is a secondary concern to big companies who like sleeping in piles of money at night :) And maybe I'm wrong so don't hold me to this...but wasn't it the case that 2nd gen games were needed because some (albeit very few) Johto pokes were not available at all prior to HGSS, whereas all Hoenn pokes are accessible by now, even w/o 3rd gen pal parking? If that's the case, necessity has no part in this anyway. It really is about the money...and snazzing up an old gen with cool new visuals and gameplay (which I admittedly would love to see. I'm not a complete scrooge :P).

Dracoste
24th December 2010, 4:19 PM
N' last name is Harmonia?

That's a lame name for a dude. Seriously. They couldn't have come up with anything better that still means 'harmony'? He's named after Aphrodite's daughter, for cheesecake's sake. I bet he got the crap kicked out of him at school.

It's his last name, it would be more of an deal if it was his first name. And there are people with weirder last names, like, Bornnaked(seriously, there are people with this last name)
IMO, Harmonia is actually an nice last name, and it fits him. This also makes him the 5th(?) Pokémon game character from which we both now it's first and last name(others are Samuel Oak, Bleu Oak, Daisy Oak and Steven Stone(Perhaps I forgot some))

Rose Storm
24th December 2010, 4:47 PM
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Possible_Black_and_White_American_release_date_rev ealed

Bulbagarden reckons April 17th, 2011. Thoughts? Seems like that's the latest they could have possibly released it, but at least we have some sort of confirmation now.

Phantomnazo
24th December 2010, 5:16 PM
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Possible_Black_and_White_American_release_date_rev ealed

Bulbagarden reckons April 17th, 2011. Thoughts? Seems like that's the latest they could have possibly released it, but at least we have some sort of confirmation now.

Whoa whoa whoa, I heard that it was suppose to be sometime in March. Or maybe im just confused.

Dracoste
24th December 2010, 6:09 PM

hmmm...That's around 3/4 months from now...Time sure flies, but it's not really official, is it. But it's probably close. So I think we may see the release date changing a couple of times.

Dr. Leggs
24th December 2010, 8:39 PM
April 17th doesn't seem particularly unlikely but I'm gonna hold out for some confirmation.

I'm gonna have to save up for it if that's the case though... Portal 2 comes out the next day. XD

BCVM22
24th December 2010, 9:37 PM
Or maybe im just confused.

Yes. There's still no official release date; at best, you heard someone's conjecture.

So I think we may see the release date changing a couple of times.

No we won't. Once the official release date is made public, it will stay that way.

Not that it isn't staying that way even when we don't know it. You get the idea. The only thing that will change until then is which unconfirmed date people prefer to pin their hopes upon.

Serebii
24th December 2010, 10:10 PM
With thanks to Shadaer for sending this in, various retail stores have begun receiving display boxes for Pokémon Black & White. These boxes match the Japanese box and as such shows a Triple Battle. This Triple Battle has given us the names of three of the Pokémon, the elemental monkeys. The US name for Yanappu is Pansage. The US name for Baoppu is Pansear and finally, the US name for Hiyappu is Panpour. We'll bring more names as they come, and expect the official site to update with these soon.
Edit: Incidentally, it also confirms that N and Team Plasma keep their names

Serebii
24th December 2010, 10:10 PM
With thanks to Shadaer for sending this in, various retail stores have begun receiving display boxes for Pokémon Black & White. These boxes match the Japanese box and as such shows a Triple Battle. This Triple Battle has given us the names of three of the Pokémon, the elemental monkeys. The US name for Yanappu is Pansage. The US name for Baoppu is Pansear and finally, the US name for Hiyappu is Panpour. We'll bring more names as they come, and expect the official site to update with these soon.
Edit: Incidentally, it also confirms that N and Team Plasma keep their names

Beeblebrox
24th December 2010, 10:11 PM
The English names for the apes have been revealed, and, interestingly, they seem to be based around cooking techniques and methods; Pansage for Yanappu, Pansear for Baoppu and Panpour for Hiyappu. Matches the occupations of Dento, Poddo and Koon, I guess.

Beeblebrox
24th December 2010, 10:16 PM
The English names for the apes have been revealed, and, interestingly, they seem to be based around cooking techniques and methods; Pansage for Yanappu, Pansear for Baoppu and Panpour for Hiyappu. Matches the occupations of Dento, Poddo and Koon, I guess.

SmartD
24th December 2010, 10:20 PM
So the elemental monkies get english names. The Pan part probably comes from chimpanzee. I know how the second part of Pansear and Panpour relate to their type, but I don't get the second part of Pansage. What does sage mean?

Lorde
24th December 2010, 10:24 PM
Yanappu, Hiyappu, and Baoppu's English names sound cool. I thought they'd be something generic, but they sound pretty creative there. Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour do seem to be references to what Dent, Pod, and Corn do when they aren't battling too. It looks like we've gotten some character name confirmation too, but the elemental monkey names are more interesting, IMO.

Serebii
24th December 2010, 10:24 PM
Pan is also likely to be a part of Chimpanzee :)

Serebii
24th December 2010, 10:25 PM
Pan is also likely to be a part of Chimpanzee :)

bippacooleth
24th December 2010, 10:26 PM
Sage is a type of herb, basically a plant to tie in with the grass type.
Pan does seem to originate from chimpanzee, also being the name of the chimpanzee's genus. Liking the names, altogether :) roll off the tongue, especially pansage

Aurath8
24th December 2010, 10:27 PM
@SmartD: Sage is a type of Herb, probably referring to the medicinal qualities of both Yanappu's head and some types of herb.
Now what does Pansear mean?

Blazios
24th December 2010, 10:28 PM
So the elemental monkies get english names. The Pan part probably comes from chimpanzee. I know how the second part of Pansear and Panpour relate to their type, but I don't get the second part of Pansage. What does sage mean?

Sage is a plant used as an herb.

I quite like these names even though now Pansear feels like even more of a Chimchar clone.

Now what does Pansear mean?

Searing is a method of cooking.

yeminied
24th December 2010, 10:36 PM
I really like Panpour. It really rolls off the tongue.

The names for these three are satisfying, I thought they were going to make the names terrible but I am pleasantly pleased with them.

The fact they all start with Pan and end in something to do with cooking and their type is great.

SmartD
24th December 2010, 10:38 PM

Okay, I understand what it means now. These are nice names for the monkies. It makes me wonder how will they name their evolutions.

King Shuckle
24th December 2010, 10:38 PM
More specifically, the word "Pan" is actually the genus for Chimpanzees.

http://thewebsiteofeverything.com/animals/mammals/Primates/Hominidae/Pan/index.html

Lorde
24th December 2010, 10:45 PM

And the herb is used for cooking, right? A herb monkey, a searing monkey, and a pouring monkey. Oh God, these elementaly monkeys are making me hungry and thirsty. Anyway, their English names are somewhat close to their Japanese names. Yanappu's name was based on "willow" and "ape, Baoppu's name was based on "burst" and "ape, and Hiyappu's name was based on "cool water" and "ape. They aren't exactly the same, but they share some similarities.

Linkdarkside
24th December 2010, 10:55 PM
the monkey trio got great names ,know i am wondering what will be their evo names.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th December 2010, 10:56 PM
Love the names.

Interestingly (perhaps) I managed to get another tid bit from the Nintendo Dream interview from a few weeks ago about the monkeys - their hands were designed to resemble (oven) mittens in order to be able to help Dent and co. in the kitchen (keep in mind that those three were specifically designed to be the signature of the first gym leaders).

Mario with Lasers
24th December 2010, 11:09 PM
"Sausage monkey" doesn't seem too good but lol they're the first forms of a trio I don't really like THAT much and the one I like the most (Panpour) got a good name, so whatever.

Rose Storm
24th December 2010, 11:18 PM
I actually really like those names. They don't sound goofy and have a nice ring to them. It's not something that fans are going to cringe at when Ash shouts it in the anime. Looking forward to more news that pops up anywhere!

Grei
24th December 2010, 11:33 PM
I like these names. They're a little weird, but they're witty and have puns, like good Pokemon names should.

Dracoste
24th December 2010, 11:51 PM
The names of the monkeys really roll of the tongue. I first though that "pan" was just from "pan", cause they help Dento and Co. with cooking. But pan from chimpansee makes more sense^-^'

Oshakpop
25th December 2010, 12:00 AM
I love them. I think there completely different to anything I'd think of, and there easy, but have agreat meaning behind them. NoA is doing good for me atm ;)

nikohesus
25th December 2010, 12:00 AM
"Pan" is also Greek for "all", as in members of a group, like a Pantheon is a group of gods.

I love these names. :)

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 12:03 AM
"Pan" is also Greek for "all", as in members of a group, like a Pantheon is a group of gods.

Didn't though about that one(I, oh so wonder why-_-')

So the monkey trio names have like 4 puns in them each?

nikohesus
25th December 2010, 12:06 AM
Well, let's see-

Pan- Greek for all, cooking pan, ChimPANzee, the genus pan

sear- a cooking method, relating to heat or fire

pour- pouring water, referring to water of course

sage- a type of herb, referring to a plant

Really creative names, I do say.

Pyrax
25th December 2010, 12:11 AM
I honestly didn't expect this O.o

Is it just me, or does "Panpour" sound French?

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 12:11 AM
the genus pan.

What is this "genus pan"?

Beside that, the names are really creative, wonder if they stay that creative whit the evos...probably...I hope...

BCVM22
25th December 2010, 12:20 AM
What is this "genus pan"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(genus)

Don't they teach you kids taxonomy in school anymore?

Phantomnazo
25th December 2010, 12:20 AM
I honestly didn't expect this O.o

Is it just me, or does "Panpour" sound French?

Now that you mention it, it does sound kinda frenchy. Pansage makes him sound kinda like a wise monkey.

SasakiThePikachu
25th December 2010, 12:21 AM
Panpour does sound French o.O

Pansage sounds like another word for wedgie, however.

Pansear is a little close to Pinsir, but whatever.

This is awesome news; the best Noa could have given us today. Merry Christmas elemental monkey fans!! And...er...everyone else :D

nikohesus
25th December 2010, 12:22 AM
From Wikipedia:

Chimpanzee, sometimes colloquially chimp, is the common name for the two extant species of ape in the genus Pan.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Also, typing in Panpour, Pansage or Pansear.com doesn't lead you to Pokemon.com or Melbourne IT. Just something interesting, perhaps they haven't registered them?

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 12:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(genus)

Don't they teach you kids taxonomy in school anymore?

Oooooooooooow that thing, yeah I had that thing on school, but I'm Dutch so we have different names for them.

And the monkey trio are the first ape like Pokémons that I actually like(me and monkeys just don't really mix)

Perhaps the evos names have to do something with music. Doesn't they remind anyone to some specific music style/artists, Like Yanakki reminds me of Elvis with that "hair".

nikohesus
25th December 2010, 12:36 AM
Box art, anyone?

http://pokebeach.com/news/1210/pokemon-black-white-display-box.jpg

BCVM22
25th December 2010, 12:42 AM
Put that in a spoiler tag, please. My goodness.

Rose Storm
25th December 2010, 12:44 AM
I just found this (http://pokebeach.com/news/1210/2010-tpci-holiday-card-back.jpg) picture on Pokebeach. Notice how March 4th and March 6th are highlighted. Could that mean anything? This is actually coming from the Pokemon Company itself too, so it's probably not Gamestop guessing again. For reference, the other side of that calendar has a picture of Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott, so it's fairly likely to be B/W related.

BCVM22
25th December 2010, 12:47 AM
March 6 would be a bit early, but it's no more or less valid a guess than the April 17 date that's circulating. Again, patience is the best action here.

Jordy Kieto
25th December 2010, 12:57 AM
Pokemon trainer club account? hmm thats very interesting, I gueess I better start racking up those game points

SharpedoSteve
25th December 2010, 1:18 AM
If it is the 4th of March.... Very Happy Birthday to me XD

Though as said before, we have no proper date set yet.

Rose Storm
25th December 2010, 1:20 AM
March 6th actually sounds just about right to me. Also, does anyone else think that all this English information is coming a little early for a mid-April release? I'd think they'd wait a little longer if they were planning to release it then.

RaoZaoku
25th December 2010, 1:21 AM
I still have to say WTF to Mijumaru's english name...
He's still a beast though

Mario with Lasers
25th December 2010, 1:25 AM
Just work with the schedule of the games coming out in September, guys.

nikohesus
25th December 2010, 1:29 AM
Put that in a spoiler tag, please. My goodness.

Request accomplished, sir.

Also, someone on Pokemon took this pic:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/994/pokemonwhite.png

BCVM22
25th December 2010, 1:36 AM
Also, does anyone else think that all this English information is coming a little early for a mid-April release? I'd think they'd wait a little longer if they were planning to release it then.

No, because none of this information is confirmed or official. No information has actually been "released" yet. And even with that said, a 3-4 month head start is just about right for a release this big.

SmartD
25th December 2010, 1:44 AM
Box art, anyone?

http://pokebeach.com/news/1210/pokemon-black-white-display-box.jpg

Interesting. I'm going to make a Pokemon Trainer Club account so I can be ready to use the Global Link.

xsedr
25th December 2010, 3:38 AM
These English Names just aren't doing it for me though Tepig and Oshawott are fine as long as their final forms are good. Smuglord and Smugleaf are un-alterable. Also Yannakkiee and Baokkiee have stuck with me. Panpour is fine as I dislike his haircut anyway.

tmega90
25th December 2010, 4:47 AM
I really like the Monkeys names! They are really cool and really Creative. I like how the took the Pan from Chimpanzee and from them helping in the kitchen. What a great Christmas present. I can't wait to see what the evolutions names will be.

R_N
25th December 2010, 5:15 AM
Is it Pan or Pao?
Let's see...Pansear Pansage Panpour?

It works, I think.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th December 2010, 7:36 AM
These English Names just aren't doing it for me though Tepig and Oshawott are fine as long as their final forms are good. Smuglord and Smugleaf are un-alterable. Also Yannakkiee and Baokkiee have stuck with me. Panpour is fine as I dislike his haircut anyway.

I can guarantee that Smuglord and Smugleaf will never be the official names.

...Also, so the only names you don't like are Snivy, Pansage and Pansear?

bugcatchersdream
25th December 2010, 10:31 AM
:o
Wait, WHAT?!?!?!
You have to USE that crud to get on the global link?!?!?!
EDIT: Good. you don't have to use it. The Global link site is in japanese:D

Pikacu
25th December 2010, 12:22 PM
I am really like the elemental ape names pansage, pansear and panpour are catchy and tell what element they are

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 12:55 PM
It looks like Yanakkie is based on rock music. And Hiyakkie maybe on reggae with his "dreadlocks", but I'm not sure. But I don't really have an clue on what kind of music Baokkie is based of, pop perhaps?

BCVM22
25th December 2010, 1:02 PM
But I don't really have an clue on what kind of music Baokkie is based of, pop perhaps?

Rockabilly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockabilly), maybe?

Compare:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/06/514Baokkie.png/178px-514Baokkie.png

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/rrStarlBill1.jpg

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 1:30 PM

Compare:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/06/514Baokkie.png/178px-514Baokkie.png

Yeah, that's it^_^!

Ok now let's predict the english names^_^

Yanakkie-Apepres(Elvis Presley)
Hiyakkie-Aperley(Bob Marley)
Baokkie-Apeperk(Carl Perkins, Jay Perkins and Clayton Perkins)(BTW, thanks for that link, BCVM22, cause I didn't knew any famous Rockabilly artists^_^)

KentuckyFriedTorchic
25th December 2010, 4:35 PM
I've been playing on pokemon online for quit a while now (Dream World Tier that is). I've collected the statistics from pokemon online and I have typed my own oppionon next to some of it. So if someone likes competitive battling and wants to know how the metagame looks like (as for now) then you could read my input on it. If you're not into it, don't click the spoiler box because it will be a huge mass of text.

For those who didn't knew, the Dream World tier includes pokemon with moves/abilities from the dream world even when they are not released yet.Oh, and I wont be covering Politoed and his swift swim friends.You also won't see Ninetales+the gang. Inconsistent should be banned and won't be covered here (it is overpowered and unstopable). And I won't be covering pokemon of previous generations who did not really change that much, aside from tyranitar because he is in the top 5.

#1 (24.74 % usage)
http://91.121.73.228/poke_img/609/front.png
Shandera: obvlious choice there, DW shandera has Shadow Tag which is an amazing ability. As you can see 1/4 of the trainers have a Shandera on its team. Expect a choice scarf or an uncommen choice specs when you're facing it. As i don't really want to have a ban discussion, I think Shandera should not be banned. It is a great addition to the fire department(lol) and it isn't nearly as overpowerd as people think it is. Yes it is strong, but IMO it isnt broken.

#2 (14.09 % usage)
http://91.121.73.228/poke_img/598/front.png
Natorrei: it is awesome. It really is, I have one on my team since the beginning and it never really fails. It can cripple sweepers with T-wave and walls with leech seed (or toxic if you're running it). It doesnt really like espeon but I can 2hko it with Power Whip. I gave it shed shell because of the Shandera's that lurk in the shadows. Too bad it doesn't get rapid spin (Actually we got 0 new/usefull rapid spinners his generation).

#3 (13.76 % usage)
http://91.121.73.228/poke_img/534/front.png
Roobushin: is going to be OU, no doubt about it. It is really bulky and it can use bulk up+drain punch for some serious tanking action. Some run guts which also is a pain to battle. Roobushin has forced a lot of switches on me, coming in on a pokemon that can't harm it and then you know that you're in for a treat. So you should put something on your team to counter this pokemon (and that dark/fighting snake) because he is not clowning around.

#4 (13.22% usage)
http://91.121.73.228/poke_img/286/front.png
Breloom: he became more powerfull this gen. Spore got a nice boost because the sleep counter resets when you are switching out, so if someone spores you it means you just lost a pokemon (I only woke up once out of numerous times where I could still do some decent damage with that pokemon). Technician means that you can run (or face) different kinds of Breloom, because Breloom has now a lot of sets to run, the other most noteably being toxic orb breloom.

#5 (13.06% usage)
http://91.121.73.228/poke_img/248/front.png
Tyranitar: is still the same as last gen. Expect a sandstorm team and Doryuuzu to show his face. I can't really say more because it hasn't really changed.

As for now I wont comment on every poke, but I will comment the (new) or interesting ones. Ironically we jump right to number 6.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/530.png
Doryuuzu: Sand peddle + Swords Dance in a sandstorm. Thats all you can say, If you have a ditto or something that can beat Doryuuzu, I suggest that you save it for later when you see Tyranitar or Hippodown's ugly faces. This ladies and gentlemen, is a wreckball. The first time I faced a Sandstorm team I did not really knew this guy was going to be standard (/lack of 5th gen experience). So I got swept, pretty hard, so be prepared and get a mach puncher or a ditto on your team.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/257.png
Blaziken: my favorite starter, if you have not noticed yet. Speed boost will boost it to OU, it can baton pass, go physical, special or both (thats how I run my Hotwing). People are prepared though, it is not as easy to use as it looks. But it is really strong once it is over its slow start.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/497.png
Jarooda: the 8th spot for a pure Grass type, who would've known? I face and use Jarooda. It needs team support but thats where 5 teammates are for. I run a choice scarf perversity and Leaf Storm. I use it as a mid/late game sweeper and a lot of other people do that too. Like Blaziken this royal snake also suffers from starting problems. But it will all be downhill once you hit +4 with leaf storm. Watch out for bug/steel and steel in general, well actually you have to watch out for a lot of pokemon because grass is a horrible typing both offensive as defensive.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/196.png
Espeon: has a chance it will be OU when the metagame calms down. Facing Espeon is really hard. You can't spread status because Espeon will show up, same goes for taunt and the like. Next to espeon people should've give some credit to Xatu, who is occupying the 109th spot on the list. It is just as annoying as Espeon, but Stealth Rock weak. But thats hard to set up anyways when Espeon (or Xatu) is on you're opponents team. I've gotten quit some lulz moments when my opponent uses stealth rock and i switch in my espeon. My opponent Stealth rocking himself FTW.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/233.png
Porygon2: the first NFE in the list. And he is there for a reason. Porygon2 is kinda bulky of itself, but it is OU viable because of Evolution Stone. It's defensive statts are 85/90/95. It learns recovery and thats necessary for a pokemon that uses the evolution stone. Suprisingly I havent seen them that frequently. And when I saw him I just threw a fighting move at him, because it still does not like close combat.

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/91.png
Cloyster: one of my favourite in pokemon blue, I had one on my team and it was the second pokemon ever that I got to level 100. Shellbreak and the boost of icicle spear will get him in OU. And after the shellbreak his Def is still 2/3*365 with no investments or +/- nature. So he still hits 243 defense, not too bad eh. If you see one it'll probably carry rock blast, icicle spear, a water move and shell break. So anything that resists it will do the trick.

#40 and #44
http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/547.pnghttp://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/302.png
Erufuun & Sableye: I'm reviewing those two together because they both are here for the same reason, which is mischievous heart. I'm running Sableye and priority taunting is fantastic, some people think it will be UU but imo they are wrong. It does a great job at leading, it can come in on psychic and fighting/normal attacks all day long. He does not have an achilles heel when it comes to typing. And tricking a lagging tail on Blaziken is always nice. Erufuun also can stall the patience out of you, being more supportive than Sableye who is just plain annoying, they both are OU as for now and they deserve it.(OU for me is above 3% usage because we got a whole bunch of new pokemon now and you can't use them all at once).

So that were some interesting pokemon out of the OU tier for as we know it know (although this is proto-tiering as I like to call it).From here I will post underrated pokemon, pokemon who I think are good but don't get the love that Shandera gets.
http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/34.png
Nidoking, on spot 66. Everyone knows that this king+encourage+life orb and the standard set: Earth power, flamethrower, thunderbolt, ice beam is strong. It was a wallbreaker in gen4 and well it still is, but better. Forcing switches and getting predict ko's is where i got the majority of ko's from. Otherwise it is great to use when there is late game stalling. But it really shines when it gets some team support (think of butterfly dance venomoth, thunderwave, or my lagging tail trick sableye).

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/80.png
Slowbro, bulky and regenerating. It is a great pokemon, and really hard to take down. I mostly see it early game, and I still see it late game, switching around like a mad man. Most of them carry slack off, so be prepared for a stall battle...

http://91.121.73.228/poke_icons/632.png
Aianto, you should watch out for this guy, he has no friends. I'm running a befriend truant Aianto lately (with choice band) and it works like a charm. Befriend a sweeper, switch out to a wall and you succesfully stopped a sweep.

The last one that I will cover is Golbat,
http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite/042.png
If you ever seen Sableye and Golbat, you probably have been battling against me. Golbat got is #299 on the list but it really is a lifesaver. Obvlious Evolution Stone is obvlious. And its defenses are nothing to complain about, 70/75/70. Combine this with roost, (and eliminating your electric, ice and rock weakness) is awesome. Give it toxic and you'll have a blast. Someone told me he was suprisingly bulky and I did not believe him, but I do now.

There are some others but I won't be covering them as there isn't that much to tell about. Weezing and stockpile works great for example, Baffuron+Swampert make a nice team (besides that baffuron is bulky and hits hard). Zuruzuskin is awesome, kinda like roobushin but with a shed skin niche and even without it, intimidate works wonders. I've seen an evolution stone roosting mischievous heart Murkrow, and it's suprisingly annoying.

So I hope you liked this wall of text, it wasnt really into-depth but thats hard when you are covering the present Dream World metagame. The sprites and the list came from pokemon-online.eu you can also pick up a battle simulator there if you want to.

SasakiThePikachu
25th December 2010, 5:26 PM
@ Dracoste

Pansage - Elvis Presley
Pansear - Bob Dylan
Panpour - Bob Marley

I'm *sure* I heard this somewhere

Grei
25th December 2010, 5:48 PM
Yeah, that's it^_^!

Ok now let's predict the english names^_^

Yanakkie-Apepres(Elvis Presley)
Hiyakkie-Aperley(Bob Marley)
Baokkie-Apeperk(Carl Perkins, Jay Perkins and Clayton Perkins)(BTW, thanks for that link, BCVM22, cause I didn't knew any famous Rockabilly artists^_^)

Eh... if they were to do that, going by what Sasaki said...

Pansage - Elvis Presley
Pansear - Bob Dylan
Panpour - Bob Marley

I'd prefer names like these:

Yanakkie: Preslape (Presley + Ape)
Baokkie: Dylape (Dylan + Ape)
Hiyakkie: Marlape (Marley + Ape)

LexSuicune
25th December 2010, 5:53 PM
No Pokemon named after people please lol... That would be awful.

Like that HORRIBLE Gagaetta joke.

Blueysicle
25th December 2010, 5:58 PM

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan say hi.

Grei
25th December 2010, 6:08 PM

Like that HORRIBLE Gagaetta joke.

The thing is, though... Gagaetta sounds awful. Plus, I don't see much reason to name Goichuzeru after Lady Gaga even if that's what she's partially based on...

... although that'd be really funny.

But yeah. If I do say so myself, Preslape, Dylape, and Marlape are good napes names. They roll off the tongue.

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 6:25 PM
But still....NoA probably include an part of an primate name and add a part that has to do with the music style they're based on, like an artist, instrument, etc...

Glitter!
25th December 2010, 6:32 PM
Is it confirmed that they are based on different musical styles?
I mean, it's pretty obvious, but is it confirmed?

Chibi_Muffin
25th December 2010, 7:22 PM
Good to see I wasn't the only one with the Reggae Hiyakkie idea. He's not a girl! I'm so calling him Marley! XD Love the English names, they actually are pretty fitting. Now I imagine Marley to be the 'team chef' of my Unova team. ¬_¬

BTW, if Hiyakkie COULD be wearing an apron (going with cooking idea) and Boakkie is obviously chubby from eating too much, how does Yanakkie fit in with cooking and food? It's a freaking biker dude! XD

bugcatchersdream
25th December 2010, 7:29 PM
That big crest is a Chef's hat! ;)

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 7:32 PM
BTW, if Hiyakkie COULD be wearing an apron (going with cooking idea) and Boakkie is obviously chubby from eating too much, how does Yanakkie fit in with cooking and food? It's a freaking biker dude! XD

He takes care for the entertainment in the restaurant by playing with his guitar, every restaurant needs some music^_^!

He's probably an Gordon Ramsey like chef

EDIT:damn, got Ninja'd with the chef idea.

Porygandrew
25th December 2010, 7:35 PM
Good to see I wasn't the only one with the Reggae Hiyakkie idea.

Reggaerock?

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 7:59 PM
Reggaerock?

No, I think he means normal Reggae.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b2/516Hiyakkie.pngDreadlocks and an wrong colored tail

R_N
25th December 2010, 8:07 PM

It's really not
I mean maybe?

But Yanakkie is also based on a japanese biker gang

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 8:16 PM
But Yanakkie is also based on a japanese biker gang

It does fits the theme of Rock 'n Roll, doesn't it.
And the other two? Of what are they based of instead of(we think) music styles?
Hiyakkie looks like it's wearing an apron, so maybe it's based on a waiter?

Chibi_Muffin
25th December 2010, 8:20 PM
No, I think he means normal Reggae.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b2/516Hiyakkie.pngDreadlocks and an wrong colored tail

Yeah, that's what I mean. Bob Marley style. Though, I AM a girl...

Yeah, I know Yanakkie's a biker. The chef hat's good though. So he's a chef, Hi's a waiter... Bo must be a customer then. XD

Yanakkie is rock and roll, Hiyakkie is Reggae. Don't know what Boakkie is, there was something about it earlier in the thread though...

Rentaline99
25th December 2010, 8:21 PM

I don't think instances like those are ever officially confirmed.

Linkdarkside
25th December 2010, 8:40 PM
:o
Wait, WHAT?!?!?!
You have to USE that crud to get on the global link?!?!?!
EDIT: Good. you don't have to use it. The Global link site is in japanese:Dit probably get update to the other languages near release.

Dracoste
25th December 2010, 8:47 PM
Yanakkie is rock and roll, Hiyakkie is Reggae. Don't know what Boakkie is, there was something about it earlier in the thread though...

Baokkie is Rockabilly

Compare:

SasakiThePikachu
26th December 2010, 1:30 AM
Pansear is defo Dylan. It's in the hair:

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/bobdylanrq.jpg/

Would anyone consider Dylan to be Rockabilly? I'm not being facetious btw...I'm actually asking...o.O

Phantomnazo
26th December 2010, 5:36 AM
Does anyone have any ideas what other 5th generation pokemons english name might be? I have two.
Riguree- Rigray
Oobemu- Orbeam

Lorde
26th December 2010, 5:58 AM
Plus, I don't see much reason to name Goichuzeru after Lady Gaga even if that's what she's partially based on...

Hmm, you just gave me an idea for Gochiruzeru's English name. Lady Gaga + gothic lolita style = Gagalita. Yes please.

The interesting thing about Gochiruzeru is that its name has been romanized differently once again. It's known as Gothiruselle now. I would hope that it would be its English name too, but that name has more than 10 characters so it ain't happening. Besides, Gagalita sounds much better. I'm so glad that I'm getting Black version once it comes to the U.S. since I'll finally be able to capture my own Gothimu, Gochimiru, and Gagalita Gothiruselle! I must've ran into thousands of Yuniran and Daburan in White so it'll be interesting to run into something more....stylish.

Mario with Lasers
26th December 2010, 6:09 AM
Bulbapedia isn't working with official romanizations; they've changed the Gothi line's names at least thrice since the game release.

R_N
26th December 2010, 6:43 AM
Bulbapedia isn't working with official romanizations; they've changed the Gothi line's names at least thrice since the game release.
I think she went through at least two changes before release, too.

I'll never get why Bulbapedia changes names so much. Happens a number of times to various attack and ability names, too.

LexSuicune
26th December 2010, 8:02 AM
So what do the monkeys name mean? Where do they come from? Specially the Pan part?

Mario with Lasers
26th December 2010, 8:08 AM
By the way if they ever call Gothilselle Gagasomething I'll forever hate her.

Chimchar15
26th December 2010, 8:08 AM
So what do the monkeys name mean? Where do they come from? Specially the Pan part?

Chimpanzee and age is a herb that you cook with, plus is an herb so grass. Sear, cooking reference plus fire reference, and pour to pour something in cooking and a reference to water.

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th December 2010, 8:13 AM
Pan - chimpanzee, pan as in the cooking equipment, pan as in the scientific genus for chimpanzees, and possibly (although slightly less likely imho) coming from Latin (?) meaning 'all of a group'.

Take you pick.

Sage is a type of cooking herb. It's a plant and it's for the name of a grass-type.
Sear is a method used in cooking involving heat, thus given to a fire type.
Pour as in to pour liquid from one container into another, thus given to a water type.

The names are a particular reference to monkey trio (at least the first forms) being specifically designed as the signature Pokemon of the first gym leaders, who are waiters, and their hands were designed to resemble oven mitts.

By the way if they ever call Gothilselle Gagasomething I'll forever hate her.

No offence to Gaga, but I doubt you've got much to worry about.

R_N
26th December 2010, 8:17 AM
Chimpanzee and age is a herb that you cook with, plus is an herb so grass. Sear, cooking reference plus fire reference, and pour to pour something in cooking and a reference to water.

Pan, a genus of apes
Probably more so that it's a genus, than specifically the fact that Chimpanzee has "Pan" in the middle.
Pan troglodytes (chimps) & Pan paniscus (bonozo) are the only ones in the genus, but there you go.

Mario with Lasers
26th December 2010, 8:44 AM
No offence to Gaga, but I doubt you've got much to worry about.

Yeah, I know it would be uncalled for if they decided to name a pokémon after a random ("random") famous person, as they could be more creative than that.

But still.

Pikacu
26th December 2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I know it would be uncalled for if they decided to name a pokémon after a random ("random") famous person, as they could be more creative than that..

that my friend would be the biggest waste of everyones time if they did that

Will-powered Spriter
26th December 2010, 4:50 PM
Yeah, I know it would be uncalled for if they decided to name a pokémon after a random ("random") famous person, as they could be more creative than that.

But still.

*coughcoughKadabra'sJapaneseNamecough*

Missingno. Master
26th December 2010, 6:17 PM
I just found this (http://pokebeach.com/news/1210/2010-tpci-holiday-card-back.jpg) picture on Pokebeach. Notice how March 4th and March 6th are highlighted. Could that mean anything? This is actually coming from the Pokemon Company itself too, so it's probably not Gamestop guessing again. For reference, the other side of that calendar has a picture of Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott, so it's fairly likely to be B/W related.

Oh my Arceus, yes. Please let the release date be that early!

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th December 2010, 6:28 PM
*coughcoughKadabra'sJapaneseNamecough*

Not to mention Emploeon, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.

Anyway, I'm sick and can't sleep so it's time for another round of English Names! (Poor Snowyarticuno...)

Gamagaru/Gamageroge: Vibratoad (Vibrate + Toad), Ribbitoad (Ribbit + Toad)
Mebukijika: Budeer (bud + deer)
Zuruggu: Lizag (Lizard + sag), Lizug (Lizard+thug)
Zuruzukin: Lished/Lized (Lizard+Shed)
Kirikizan: Swarrior (sword+warrior)
Kuitaran: Tamanter (Tamandua+ant eater)
Wargle: Eaglor (Eagle + Valor)
Gochimu/Gochimiru: Gothimood (gothic + mood)
Buffaron: Buffron (derivative from buffalo and afro)
Futachimaru/Daikenki: Warriott/Samurott
Uniran: Cytuno (cytoplasm + uno)
Douburan: Cyduo (cytoplasm + duo)
Ranculus: Nuculus (nucleus + homunculus)
Burungel: Royelly (Royal+jelly), Angelly/Anjelly (Angel+jelly)
Nageki: Judrow (judo+throw)
Dageki: Karatoss (karate+toss)
Hitomoshi: Candlight/Candlite/Candlit (candle+light)
Goluug: Goliant (golem+giant), Golurch (golem+lurch)
Yabukuron: Garbag (Garbage bag)
Dustdas: Garburst (garbage + burst)
Tabunne: Probunny (probably + bunny), Probabbit (probably + rabbit)
Arkeos: Archeos
Archeon: Archeon
Purotooga: Protorga/Protoruga (proto + tortuga)
Abagoura: Torgarmor/Tortugarmor (tortuga + armor)
Chillarmy: Chillarmie

Boo-yeah.

Chimchar15
26th December 2010, 6:50 PM

Anyway, I'm sick and can't sleep so it's time for another round of English Names! (Poor Snowyarticuno...)

Boo-yeah.

Wow I've been into Pokemon since 1998 and I just got Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Also I don't mean to be that guy but Tortugarmor is 11 letters.

Dr. Leggs
26th December 2010, 6:52 PM
Ahh, I didn't even notice the extent of etymologies in the monkeys' names (cooking pan, chimpanzee, Latin 'pan', etc.) I'm honestly really happy with the names so far, I really liked the starter's names. Hopefully the rest of the Unova dex will have great names as well.

bippacooleth
26th December 2010, 7:11 PM
@Sabonea_Masukippa

For once I wouldn't actually mind if most of those names were real, in regard to your usual guesses :P
They all look pretty realistic - some favourites: Tamanter, Cytuno and family and please god let Garbag and Garburst be right

Just a question, why have you included 'probably' in Tabunne's name? Is it something to do with the Japanese?

Grei
26th December 2010, 7:44 PM
hi, are you all using roms? if so which one? THANKS (:

Stop asking this, you'll get into trouble. Discussion or distribution of ROMs is against the rules here (ROMs are illegal). Use one if you want, but we cannot help you get one.

Sab_Mas, I really like your names for Futachimaru and Daikenki (although I personally really like Shoalgun for Daikenki as well). Your name for Ranculus is pretty cool, too, although I expect Ranculus and Wargle to stay the same.

Glitter!
26th December 2010, 7:52 PM
@Sabonea_Masukippa

Just a question, why have you included 'probably' in Tabunne's name? Is it something to do with the Japanese?

From Bulbapedia:

Name origin

Its name seems to be derived from "tabun ne", meaning "maybe". Its name is likely derived from "tabun" (Many are heard). Additionally, it could be taken from "mimitabu", the word for "earlobe."

bippacooleth
26th December 2010, 10:56 PM
From Bulbapedia:

Name origin

Its name seems to be derived from "tabun ne", meaning "maybe". Its name is likely derived from "tabun" (Many are heard). Additionally, it could be taken from "mimitabu", the word for "earlobe."

Ohh, that makes sense now. So it's kind of like Chansey - maybe/chancy are fairly similar

tmega90
26th December 2010, 10:56 PM

Boo-yeah.

Wow those names are really cool and creative, Sabonea Masukippa! Nice Ideas.

Chibi_Muffin
26th December 2010, 10:57 PM
From Bulbapedia:

Name origin

I thought it had something to do with Tabunne being the new Chansey. Chansey = chancy.

Those names are very good. Some of them seem likely.

Ravenous14
27th December 2010, 12:08 AM
Chimpansage, Chimpansear and Chimpanpour are more...

likely names, rather than those horrible ideas on basing it on people.

Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee should remain as the only Pokemon named after people

LexSuicune
27th December 2010, 12:57 AM

That's awful.

Smh.

Sabonea_Masukippa
27th December 2010, 1:02 AM
Wow I've been into Pokemon since 1998 and I just got Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.

Don't worry, I only got Porygon's name a few months ago and my mind is still blown. (For those not in the know, change the 'r' to an 'l' and watch your world crumble around you.)

Also I don't mean to be that guy but Tortugarmor is 11 letters.

Ah, dang. I checked Bulbapedia to make sure I had the name spelling/origin of Purotorga right, since I don't speak Spanish and added Protortuga on a whim, and added a matching one for Abagoura without checking. Pretend I said Tortugarmr :P

Sab_Mas, I really like your names for Futachimaru and Daikenki (although I personally really like Shoalgun for Daikenki as well). Your name for Ranculus is pretty cool, too, although I expect Ranculus and Wargle to stay the same.

Thought I'd try something a bit different for Daikenki. Since they went with such an unusal combination for Oshawott, I have a hunch that either Osha(w) or (w)ott is going to be a recurring 'theme' for the names. Or they might reuse 'Osha" for one and 'ott' for the other.

I do except Wargle to stay the same, just thought I'd try something different. I thought Ranculus *might* have 'ran' changed in it's name changed so that the meaning is more transparent for English speakers, but it could well stay the same too.

On another note, after weeks of 'trying my hardest' to come up with name guesses, I can't believe that ya'll like the ones I came up with at 3AM, while I coughed my lungs out, after a week of sleep deprivation. Life isn't fair. :P

KentuckyFriedTorchic
27th December 2010, 1:51 AM
Don't worry, I only got Porygon's name a few months ago and my mind is still blown. (For those not in the know, change the 'r' to an 'l' and watch your world crumble around you.)

Son of a .....
How did I not notice that in all those years. Seriously.

Ditto123
27th December 2010, 1:56 AM
i h8 spiders but denchura is my fave 5th gen pokemon

Weaver_8
27th December 2010, 4:27 AM
I like the monkey trio's new names actually. I thought it using the genus name Pan for the first part of their names was rather clever, Pan being the genus for chimpanzees. I am growing curious on what all the other Pokemon names could be.

Chimchar15
27th December 2010, 6:43 AM

Ah, dang. I checked Bulbapedia to make sure I had the name spelling/origin of Purotorga right, since I don't speak Spanish and added Protortuga on a whim, and added a matching one for Abagoura without checking. Pretend I said Tortugarmr :P

Thought I'd try something a bit different for Daikenki. Since they went with such an unusal combination for Oshawott, I have a hunch that either Osha(w) or (w)ott is going to be a recurring 'theme' for the names. Or they might reuse 'Osha" for one and 'ott' for the other.

I do except Wargle to stay the same, just thought I'd try something different. I thought Ranculus *might* have 'ran' changed in it's name changed so that the meaning is more transparent for English speakers, but it could well stay the same too.

On another note, after weeks of 'trying my hardest' to come up with name guesses, I can't believe that ya'll like the ones I came up with at 3AM, while I coughed my lungs out, after a week of sleep deprivation. Life isn't fair. :P

Oh come on I missed the porygon thing too! Wow I'm slow.

yeminied
27th December 2010, 8:12 AM
I first realised the meaning behind Porygon's name when is eight or nine. I was flicking through a dictionary when I thought I saw Porygon's name but it was of course polygon. I read the definition and it worked well with its theme.

About the monkie: I think Pansoak would be a better name for Panpour. This way we would have them all start with Pan and an s-word. It would also make a sa- se- so- sound when said together. This could be continued by having their evolutions have si- su- and sy- sounds, the other vowels (minus y which sometimes works for a vowel).

Pansyca for Yannakie from sycamore, a type of tree.

Pansinge for Baokkie

Pansurf for Hiakkie

Pikacu
27th December 2010, 8:56 AM
No boakkie should be panroast

LexSuicune
27th December 2010, 5:02 PM
I would name them

Chimpseed
Chimpseer
Chimpsea

That's it.

Beeblebrox
27th December 2010, 7:10 PM
I am amazed that they actually used the word Daruma (or Darma, whatever) in Hihidaruma's dub name, but pleasantly so. Darmanitan is perfect.

Is it me, or are they putting a lot more thought into the English names this time around? The starter names are far superior to their 4th gen equivalents, and stuff like the monkies and Gigalith seem better thought out than the likes of Buneary or, god forbid, Purugly. Shudder.

SmartD
27th December 2010, 7:12 PM
More english names:

Chillarmy - Minccino
Gigaith - Gigalith
Munna - Munna
Hihidaruma - Darmanitan
Meguroc - Sandile
Mamepato - Pidove
Shimama - Blitzle
Gear - Klink

Munna and Gigalith keeps their original names. The rest sound pretty good.

Rentaline99
27th December 2010, 7:16 PM
The english names are on point! They are very easy to remember.

Dracoste
27th December 2010, 7:53 PM
Now the US release datum is out, the EU release date is probably like two weeks later.

The new names are really nice, NoA didn't screw it up, yay.
I really like Sandile, Blitzle and Klink, hopefully the evo's won't be Kliklink and Klikliklink.

Is Huin City's English name, Castelia City, named that because the city is as huge as an castle? I think I just need to get used to that name.

I also like Prof. Araragi's English name, Prof. Juniper, it sound so sweet. Is Juniper based on a flower or a tree? Just like the other Professors names were based on trees.

Chibi_Muffin
27th December 2010, 8:04 PM
MUNNA! =] You are still Munna. Good. But will you be Musharna? That is the question.

LOL, I was looking at base stat totals (Blissey has the same SP. Attack as Jalorda and Vulxina? I'm concerned now) when I pulled down the bar. I looked at it and thought "What's a Blitzle?" Then I saw that it was where Shimama was, and I thought OMG new names!

Pidove is cute. THEY CHANGED CHILLARMY?! O_O How unexpected. Minccino is cute... reminds me too much of its evo. Blitzle is too reindeery. Like Blitzen. XD Sandile is good, as is Darmanitan. Heh, that one gives a nice ape-like feel. Klink... average, but what did you expect from something called GEAR? Gigalith is also good, but it'll be hard to pronounce. And Munna is still Munna. I predicted that.

tmega90
27th December 2010, 8:12 PM
I really like all of the new names! They are so awesome!
Minccino- I like this one and it sounds cute makes it sound like it is mini
Gigalith- This one is awesome and sounds cool when you say it
Munna- Is cool that they kept it, I thought they would
Darmanitan- This is one of my favorite names. It sounds awesome and I wanted a Orangutan Pokemon.
Sandile- Is a very cool name and reminds me of Totodile, sounds like sun dial too.
Pidove- Is a cool name, I like how it sounds. It is cool that they used the dove since it is based of that and a pidgeon
Blitzle- This one sounds cool. I like words with Blitz in it.
Klink - So much better than gear and it is fun to say.

Dr. Leggs
27th December 2010, 8:16 PM
Gigalith is also good, but it'll be hard to pronounce.

Gig-a-lith

Pretty simple, I thought.

Chimpansage/Chimpansear/Chimpanpour are all eleven letters, so no.

If they plan on staying very true to the Japanese names, it'll probably be x-sage, x-sear and x-pour with x being a new syllable that they all share (Yanappu/Baoppu/Hiyappu all have '-ppu' in common which is likely where 'Pan' came from, while their evolutions share the syllable '-kki' while retaining the Yana/Bao/Hiya syllables). So I'm thinking it's likely that the evolutions will keep sage/sear/pour.

Crystal_Power
27th December 2010, 8:50 PM
I really like Minccino and yay they kept Munna's name the same!

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 9:39 PM
Darmanitan....

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/5/52/Darmani.png

...that utterly convinced me to catch one.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 9:40 PM
I would name them

Chimpseed
Chimpseer
Chimpsea

That's it.

Don't like them, sorry.

bugcatchersdream
27th December 2010, 9:57 PM
It's about time!
They didn't reveal Koromori...
Kurt in Master of Illusions has a Koromori on his hat.

My prediction is the next round will come in early February(when the Zoroark movie is supposed to come out) and will have Koromori, Kibago, Minezumi, Mamanbou, Emonga, Rankurusu, Gochiruzeru, Wargle, Swanna, Mogeryuu and Shikijika (bleah.)
Koromori, Emonga, Wargle, and Kibago will keep ther Japanese names.
MINCHINNO!? SERIOUSLY!? Chillarmy is WAY better.
Sorta like Smugleaf/Snivy. No comparison.
I like all the others, but I HATE the ability names.

Blazios
27th December 2010, 10:02 PM
Darmanitan....

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/5/52/Darmani.png

...that utterly convinced me to catch one.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought of that as soon as I saw the name.

Sandile. Really.

Don't see why they couldn't keep Chillarmy but Minccino isn't bad. Pidove's a bit generic, but it' OK. I liked Munna so I'm glad they kept it. Gigalith's nice. I would have expected Blitzle to have a more Zebraey name.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm glad the names aren't too obvious, they seem more like...names instead of obvious puns.

Lorde
27th December 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm glad that Munna seems to have kept its name. There's something about the name Munna that I've always liked, even if I've never seen eye-to-eye with the Pokemon itself. Gigalith's name seems pretty close to its Japanese name too. Gigaiath was a bit harder on the tongue than Gigalith, so I truly appreciate the slight change there.

Wallaroo42
27th December 2010, 10:40 PM
Blitzle is adorable, as is Sandile (though it makes me think of sandals XD )

Though I agree chillarmy was better... it's not even a mink D:

Gigalith is nice though

Linkdarkside
27th December 2010, 10:41 PM
I also like Prof. Araragi's English name, Prof. Juniper, it sound so sweet. Is Juniper based on a flower or a tree? Just like the other Professors names were based on trees.it based on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper

Shneak
27th December 2010, 10:41 PM
Minccino: I don't get it, but I don't care. Chillarmy was better.
Gigalith: Sure.
Darmanitan: Dalmatian? That's all I can see. I can't even pronounce it.
Sandile: Creative. Totodile anyone?
Pidove: I can understand this. Meh.
Blitzle: Sure.
Klink: I love this. Seriously.
Munna: Sure.

BCVM22
27th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Darmanitan: Dalmatian? That's all I can see. I can't even pronounce it.

"Dalmatian"? Really?

Dharma + orangutan. Dar-man-ih-tan.

Oshakpop
27th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Minccino: Like
Gigalith: Eh.
Darmanitan: I thought it said Dalmation first. "Darma" anitan? Don't get it.
Sandile: I guessed this... it's easy and simple
Pidove: Good
Blitzle: It's Ok. When I hear it I think fire pokemon.
Klink: Simple. I love it. Better than Gear/Giaru
Munna: It was a fine name to begin with. Glad its the same

Overall: Simple and easy. GOOD!

Also, Minccino makes me think Chillaccino will keep it's name for the english release after all they both will have "ccino".

BCVM22
27th December 2010, 10:58 PM
Darmanitan: I thought it said Dalmation first. "Darma" anitan? Don't get it.

The "-daruma" in Darumakka and Hihidaruma comes, in part, from "dharma", itself based on the fact that the two are basically cheeky monkey versions of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daruma_doll).