PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

LexSuicune
27th December 2010, 11:00 PM
Pigeon+Dove? really?

And KLINK? So what, Gigigear is gonna be called KLINK-KLANK-KLUNK?...

I quite enjoy Sandile, and They better keep Zebraika, I love that name. Blitzle is just alright, as is Darmanitan.

I love Gigalith and I find Minccino quite as endearing as Chillarmy.

Shneak
27th December 2010, 11:01 PM
"Dalmatian"? Really?

Dharma + orangutan. Dar-man-ih-tan.

Makes sense.

Grei
27th December 2010, 11:03 PM
Though I agree chillarmy was better... it's not even a mink D:

... I want to know what reasoning led you to think that the "min" in Minccino's name meant "mink," and not "mini" or even "mint" (as in "mint condition", related to it's habit of cleaning).

Ok, "mint" is probably just me because Minccino sounds like a delicious hot minty cappuccino. That's legitimately the first thing that popped into my head.

Chillarmy sucked. I hated that name. As soon as the romanization changed from "Chiramii" to "Chillarmy," I stopped liking the Pokemon. Chillarmy sounded utterly stupid to me. Chinchilla + Charmy? Charmy isn't even a word. Chinchilla Army? How stupid.

Minccino >>>>>> Chillarmy.

BCVM22
27th December 2010, 11:03 PM
Pigeon+Dove? really?

It is basically a pigeon/dove hybrid, is it not?

Shneak
27th December 2010, 11:09 PM
It could be Pigeon+Love.

Grei
27th December 2010, 11:11 PM
Pigeon+Dove? really?

And KLINK? So what, Gigigear is gonna be called KLINK-KLANK-KLUNK?...

Pigeons and Doves are the same bird so it makes sense to combine the two names. Also, one could take the name to really be Pidgeon + Love, since Pidgeon is an archaic spelling of Pigeon and Pidove has a definite heart theme going on.

And no, that won't be his name. KlinkKlankKlunk is five letters over the limit.

I don't understand why people are criticizing Klink's English name. Why anyone expected anything extremely imaginative from a Pokemon whose Japanese name is "Gear" is beyond me. Besides, it fits. I think Klink describes the Pokemon well, and is less obvious than "Gear."

Greninja VI
27th December 2010, 11:13 PM
I like all these new names :) I'm really hoping for eagwar for wargle, and ranculus/lanculus or something like polycule (polymer+molecule) for ranculus. wargle sounds too much like warble for me, which is a different type of bird.

I like klink and darmanitan the most, I don't like sandile as is was easily predictable and it's one of my favorite gen V pokemon. the rest are nice too :)

yeminied
27th December 2010, 11:19 PM
I like how they seem to be following the same pattern of released Pokémon with what the Japanese got. I'm sad Gigalith got released before Emonga though.

Klink: Oh My God. I love this Pokémon now. The name Klink is just perfect in every single way. It's so simple but that's great for such a simple Pokémon. I am certainly training a Klink in my first game just because of the name. I can't explain it, I love this Pokémon now.

Professor Juniper: Fantastic. There is nothing else to say about it the name is brilliant. It sounds like a feminine name, a lot better than naming her something like Rowan or Oak which just sound masculine.

Gigalith: Not too sure on this name. It doesn't embody power but meek sounding. It's the -ith part that does this I believe.

Minccino: I cannot fathom why they would change it from Chillarmy. I'm sorry but they will always been known as Chillarmy.

Blitzle: I didn't see this coming but it really suits them. They seem much cuter with this name.

Pidove: It's too close to Pidgey with the Pid- suffix. Either way it makes sense and I like it.

Sandile: As above I didn't see this coming. I predicted something to do with it's eyes but NoA is full of surprises.

Munna: I'm glad they kept the Japanese name.

Klink: I LOVE this name!

Wallaroo42
27th December 2010, 11:22 PM
... I want to know what reasoning led you to think that the "min" in Minccino's name meant "mink," and not "mini" or even "mint" (as in "mint condition", related to it's habit of cleaning).

Ok, "mint" is probably just me because Minccino sounds like a delicious hot minty cappuccino. That's legitimately the first thing that popped into my head.

Chillarmy sucked. I hated that name. As soon as the romanization changed from "Chiramii" to "Chillarmy," I stopped liking the Pokemon. Chillarmy sounded utterly stupid to me. Chinchilla + Charmy? Charmy isn't even a word. Chinchilla Army? How stupid.

Minccino >>>>>> Chillarmy.

Mostly because, maybe I'm wrong, but I pronounced it mink-seeno. Plus, the evolution looks like it's wearing furs which is associated with mink. I was going off minc... not just min. *shrugs* that's just what I saw.

I though of it as a chinchilla army so I liked that name... though I can see how you would not. I just wish it had kept the "chilla" in it. That was cute

Also, Darmanitan as an orangutan. Ahhh, I see it now XD. That makes it much easier. I think it sounds awesome

Glitter!
27th December 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Pidgeon + Love + Dove.

Pidove's and Koromori's evolutionary families kind of have the theme of "courting", that's why male Kenhorou have those colourful decorations, and Koromori's Heart Stamp,etc.

I'm sure there was more on Koromori's family, but I forgot what it was. Oh well.

Bardische
27th December 2010, 11:27 PM
Everytime I see Shimama's English name, I keep thinking of a reindeer =_=

Sandile was honestly, quite expected. Though Croconile was SO close.

Minccino is...well...cute.

So...Darmanitan is a combination of Daruma and Titan? Or Orangutan? Either way, both can make sense. It sounds more epic than Hihidaruma, anyway. I mean, I feel like it's always laughing when I see "HIHIdaruma"

Haha, people are already raging against "Klink". ^^

Grei
27th December 2010, 11:43 PM
Mostly because, maybe I'm wrong, but I pronounced it mink-seeno. Plus, the evolution looks like it's wearing furs which is associated with mink. I was going off minc... not just min. *shrugs* that's just what I saw.

I though of it as a chinchilla army so I liked that name... though I can see how you would not. I just wish it had kept the "chilla" in it. That was cute

Also, Darmanitan as an orangutan. Ahhh, I see it now XD. That makes it much easier. I think it sounds awesome

I think it's pronounced "Min-chee-no." I guess we won't know for a while, but considering Chillachino's name I figured Minccino was similar, since the "cc" consonant pair makes a "ch" sound.

nikohesus
27th December 2010, 11:47 PM
The Min in Miccino shouldn't mean Mink, as its English classification is still the Chinchilla Pokemon. I think it just means "mini-ccino" and its evolution will be "chilla-ccino."

LimeStar
27th December 2010, 11:59 PM
I enjoy that they kept the Daruma doll reference in Darmanitan's name (:
I also enjoy that they kept the eye reference in Sandile. Both Meguroku and Sandile have that in there quite subtly.
The rest are good, but I will laugh extremely hard if Klink is followed up with it's evolutions, Klank and Klunk.

Glitter!
28th December 2010, 12:10 AM
I also enjoy that they kept the eye reference in Sandile. Both Meguroku and Sandile have that in there quite subtly.

Where's the eye reference in Sandile?
I know that meguro = black eyed.

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 12:12 AM
^Man, I'm pretty good at name etymology but even I can't find any visual reference in Sandile besides "ile" sounding like eyelid. lol

Dracoste
28th December 2010, 12:23 AM
it based on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper

I just knew that it will be based on a tree again.

Everytime I see Shimama's English name, I keep thinking of a reindeer =_=

That means I'm not the only one^_^

but I will laugh extremely hard if Klink is followed up with it's evolutions, Klank and Klunk.

If they will do the same as the Japanes names, then we can expect an Kliklink and an Klikliklink(or something like that, cause this is more than 10 chars). But NoA will probably be more creative.....right?

SasakiThePikachu
28th December 2010, 12:25 AM
So, are we pronouncing Minccino as in mince pie, or as in mink coat? Or minch? as in...um...

Hm, apart from the obvious sand and crocodile bits, I thought it was just a pun on sundile.

God, this is exciting. I nearly had an aneurysm when I saw the update about the US release, so coming back and seeing a truckload of english names made me almost pee myself.

@ Sab, yeah, the puns in pokemon names can creep up on you. I only got the spanish bits of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres the other day. Twelve years of fandom, and I got it the other freakin day. And I actually shouted it out loud, I was so impressed with sad little myself. Thankfully I wasn't in public at the time <___<;;

Dracoste
28th December 2010, 12:31 AM
Yay, new names are in(Didn't saw them until now).

Sweep slap becomes Tail Slap, Wild Bolt becomes Wild Charge and Telekenesis stays the same.
The first two names makes it more clear what they do. Hopefully I don't confuse Tail Slap with Tail Whip, like I do with Mud Attack and Sand Attack :S

R_N
28th December 2010, 1:03 AM
Where's the eye reference in Sandile?
I know that meguro = black eyed.

Say "Sandile" a few times
Sand ile

sand i le

sand eye le

May or may not have been intentional

O Fortuna
28th December 2010, 1:04 AM
I never used a Gear when I played through Black and White. However, I am going to catch and train a Klink and call it Colonel.

Glitter!
28th December 2010, 1:06 AM
Say "Sandile" a few times
Sand ile

sand i le

sand eye le

May or may not have been intentional

Ooooooooooooooohhh, now I see it!
I really don't know if it was intentional, and the saddest thing: WE WON'T EVER KNOW. *cries a little*

LexSuicune
28th December 2010, 1:12 AM
LMFAO Professor Juniper? That is dreadful.

And I still think Klink is a horrible name, I'd much rather it be named Gear.

I personally would've called it Energear.

Linkdarkside
28th December 2010, 1:17 AM
The rest are good, but I will laugh extremely hard if Klink is followed up with it's evolutions, Klank and Klunk.well they rime so it be great if they get those names.

Glitter!
28th December 2010, 1:22 AM

Thanks God you don't work for Nintendo.

Grei
28th December 2010, 1:25 AM

Well then we are lucky you don't name the Pokemon. So far most of the names you've suggested haven't had the same ring as the official names. Chimpseed is a little two obvious for a Pokemon name, I think.

Also, I think everyone would appreciate it if you would stop with the "OH GAWD PAN IS SO DREADFUL THESE NAMES ARE AWFUL" every other post. I mean, if you hate them, you hate them, but instead of just whining you could explain what makes these names so terrible. I would have preferred Araragi's name to be Yew, but does that mean that Juniper is "dreadful?" No, it actually fits rather well.

Again, I'm not asking you to love these names, but instead of complaining you could give something with a little more discussion value, some sort of reasoning for why you dislike them. Alternatively you could be a little more open-minded, but it's not exactly my place to say that.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 1:27 AM

Why is Juniper dreadful?

It fits the bill - it's a plant and it's long enough so that dubbing in the cartoon isn't an issue. Also, it's better than Yew.

Klink is a far superior name in English for this Pokemon over Gear. This isn't first gen, no one's going to accept stuff like Seel and Golem.

Energear isn't a bad name, but it possibly implies an Electric typing, doesn't leave much room to go forward into evolution (Unlike Klank --> Klunk). Also, the sound represented by the letter 'g' in engery and gear are two different sounds, which makes the transition between words much less smooth, in my opinion.

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 1:28 AM

Just as Spear, Sand, Showers, Thunders, Booster and a number of other names were changed, "Gear" going unchanged was never a real possibility. Like the others I just mentioned, "Gear" was used specifically because it was a normal English word that sounds exotic when spoken in Japanese. There's nothing particularly memorable or marketable about "Gear" in normal English. Klink is onomatopoeic and just sounds funnier.

Nickname it if it bothers you that much.

LexSuicune
28th December 2010, 1:33 AM
Why is Juniper dreadful?

It fits the bill - it's a plant and it's long enough so that dubbing in the cartoon isn't an issue. Also, it's better than Yew.

Klink is a far superior name in English for this Pokemon over Gear. This isn't first gen, no one's going to accept stuff like Seel and Golem.

Energear isn't a bad name, but it possibly implies an Electric typing, doesn't leave much room to go forward into evolution (Unlike Klank --> Klunk). Also, the sound represented by the letter 'g' in engery and gear are two different sounds, which makes the transition between words much less smooth, in my opinion.

Energear isn't meant to imply an electric typing, the Gear family are all about mechanical energy being created by the motion of the twin gears. It's quite simple but not as idiotic as the onomatopeic sound of rusty metalic items.

And regarding Juniper, I just think it sounds bad, and doesn't have a charming ring to it, which Professor Aragi does in contrast to the rest of the regional professors.

Grei
28th December 2010, 1:34 AM
I am free to express my disdain as often and as many times as I desire I am not hurting anyone and you all need to get over it if my opinion makes such a dent in this wonderful thread.

I said that already.

Thing is, though, we are free to express our disdain for your crappy, thoughtless posts, and so that's why I'm suggesting you actually say something worth discussing instead of your spouts of negativity. "Juniper? That's dreadful" is not only worthless in a discussion forum, but also sounds unintelligent because there's no reasoning behind the negativity.

If you're just going to complain, I'm sure some mod will come along and tell you to cut it out. Nobody wants to read your negativity, especially since it's bordering spam if you're not actually discussing anything.

Dr. Leggs
28th December 2010, 1:36 AM
BCVM22 and S_M took the words out of my mouth. 'Gear' would have never taken off; Klink fits the bill perfectly.

As somebody mentioned earlier I think Minccino is gonna follow into Chillaccino, which would be fine with me. 'Chillarmy' just sounds awkward in English. Obviously they're gonna translate it.

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 1:38 AM
"Klink" as an onomatopoeia doesn't imply rusty; it's the sound of something small and metallic hitting a larger metal surface. It also fits in that it's a goofy word and Klink looks just a bit goofy itself.

Juniper is close to "Araragi" in syllable count, it's a type of tree and even though it's technically a surname, it's not completely out of place as a female name. There really isn't a problem here.

Zhanton
28th December 2010, 2:07 AM
Klink is the most adorable name :3 It fits perfectly.

I love the name Castelia City as well. It sounds really elegant and whatnot.

I really like all of the names, except I think Sandile sounds a bit too...basic, tbh. Sand + crocodile...sure it fits, but I thought they might've done better. Ah well, I'll get used to them really quickly :]

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 2:36 AM
Something that was brought up earlier that i'm wondering is if people may see some dark humor in Sandile considering it sounds a lot like sandal. I don't think NoA intended that though. But at least the name does fit the bill and makes sense when you think about a crocodile that lives in the sand. Simplified names aren't always bad.

Also about complaining, its not bad to dislike a name. And there may even be a legitimate reason too. But complaining about something like names does tend to diminish your reputation because it makes you look like a whiner. And besides, the names are actually pretty creative, at the worst some of them are passable. But I don't think GF just slaps names on pokemon just because they feel like it. I'm just glad Nintendo didn't listen when everybody was talking about Smugleaf.

Lorde
28th December 2010, 2:52 AM
Klink sounds like a good English name for Gear. I've never really gotten attached to Gear so the name change doesn't bother me much. Ok, what else do we have here. There's Minccino, the new English name for Chillarmy. That one is going to take some getting used, but it isn't bad. Sandile is perfect for Meguroco. It sounds so cute (even if I read it as "sandal" the first time I saw it teehee). Pidove is another name that I really like. I can see the obvious reference to pigeon and dove, but I can see the reference to "love" in there (because of its heart-shaped chest). It's probably a coincidence, but I'll take what I can get. Some of the other names, like the English names for Hihidaruma and Shimama, are just fine. I'm waiting on the English names for Koromori and Musharna in the next update hopefully.

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 2:56 AM
Juniper is close to "Araragi" in syllable count, it's a type of tree and even though it's technically a surname, it's not completely out of place as a female name. There really isn't a problem here.

Aren't all Professor's names surnames? I mean Blue Oak is the grandson of Professor Oak, whose real name is "Samuel" in the anime. Just saiyan.

Wallaroo42
28th December 2010, 2:59 AM
I think it's pronounced "Min-chee-no." I guess we won't know for a while, but considering Chillachino's name I figured Minccino was similar, since the "cc" consonant pair makes a "ch" sound.

I'd like that a lot more. I'm not good with pronunciations... I just read it as "mink" XD

Grei
28th December 2010, 3:07 AM
I'd like that a lot more. I'm not good with pronunciations... I just read it as "mink" XD

That's quite alright. ^.^ I myself am horrible at stressing syllables. I almost always pronounce a new word oddly because I stress an awkward syllable.

Anyway, I hope it's "min-chee-no," I like how it sounds compared to "mink-keeyo" or something similar. Although if "mink" is a part of the name, I suppose it wouldn't be a first that an animal reference within a name was different than the Pokemon's basis. Infernape comes to mind, as does Tyranitar. Plus, mink fits alright--they have treasured fur, don't they? That much would fit, at least.

Dr. Leggs
28th December 2010, 3:11 AM
Something that was brought up earlier that i'm wondering is if people may see some dark humor in Sandile considering it sounds a lot like sandal.

Umm... What part of 'sandal' constitutes 'dark humour'?

But I don't think GF just slaps names on pokemon just because they feel like it. I'm just glad Nintendo didn't listen when everybody was talking about Smugleaf.

I agree. And as nikohesus said earlier, the names are more of 'names' than obvious rudimentary puns. I like the evolution of the name quality over time, they've really gotten skilled at it in my opinion.

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 3:15 AM
I still chuckle at Big Pecks.
:)

cazatron
28th December 2010, 3:52 AM
the new names seem to fit pretty well, i felt for sure Prof. Juniper was going to be Prof. Beech and i still maintain Blitzle will evolve into Zapra...
it took me a while to realized Darmanitan was supposed to be half orangutan, silly me.
i thought of some names for the evolved forms of the elemental apes t'other day let me see if i can remember...
oh yeah, this is going by the assumption that the 'Pan' part of the pre-evolved forms names is taken from chimpanzee:
panpour> drenchimp
pansage> branchimp
pansear> scorchimp

although i'm not too sure on branchimp, i'd assume it would be following along the lines of herbs and stuff

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 3:54 AM
The reason for dark humor is that some people may see the pun as being sandile sounds like sandal, so some people may joke around saying that sandals are made out of Sandile in order to be sold on some creepy black market that exists unbeknownst to people in the pokemon realm. Also note Crocs, which I don't know if they are considered sandals, but they are very similar.

Although I don't think GF meant this in the slightest, as sand+crocodile is what they were going for. Its just a fun little play on words.

R_N
28th December 2010, 3:59 AM
The reason for dark humor is that some people may see the pun as being sandile sounds like sandal, so some people may joke around saying that sandals are made out of Sandile in order to be sold on some creepy black market that exists unbeknownst to people in the pokemon realm. Also note Crocs, which I don't know if they are considered sandals, but they are very similar.

Although I don't think GF meant this in the slightest, as sand+crocodile is what they were going for. Its just a fun little play on words.

This is such a ridiculous stretch of logic I think I it left my mouth agape

Lorde
28th December 2010, 4:11 AM
The whole "Sandile sounding like sandal" isn't a joke I see sticking to be honest. I'm sure people will get over it soon enough. It was funny the first time I noticed the similarity there, but now I'm sort of over it myself. Anyway, I'm actually really impressed with the English names for the Generation 5 Pokemon. While I'm sure that it'll take time for me to warm up to some of the names (like Darmanitan, which I think comes from Daruma doll and orangutan), I think that the ones I've started to like already are amazing. It seems like other people like these new names a lot as well. At first I thought it was all just appeasement, but now it looks like most people genuinely like the new names. I can't wait for the other names to be revealed.

Pikacu
28th December 2010, 4:11 AM
That is takeing logic to the max but i think sandile is an excellent name for a sand crocodile

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 4:19 AM
This is such a ridiculous stretch of logic I think I it left my mouth agape

Sooo... is that a bad thing? Just wondering.

And with the new names, I thought people were going to be trolling the name Klink to death when I first saw it. For Minccino, you could say that GF (or NoA, not sure which one it is) didn't make it resemble chinchilla enough. But the it still sounds great (and as someone said earlier, reminds of a minty coffee drink).

Oh and about big pecks, NoA realized that Pidove was the manliest bird pokemon ever invented. Admit it! This thing blows Staraptor and Wargle out of the water. XD

lindsy95
28th December 2010, 4:26 AM
While Juniper isn't a... horrible name, it just sounds awkward.
It soundes kinda like a splice of jennifer and june.

I will get used to it but it just doesn't sound... like a name, to me anyway. (Dunno why, TBH.)

Big pecks is quite lulzy, I must say.

Adrexus
28th December 2010, 4:36 AM
While Juniper isn't a... horrible name, it just sounds awkward.
It soundes kinda like a splice of jennifer and june.

I will get used to it but it just doesn't sound... like a name, to me anyway. (Dunno why, TBH.)

Big pecks is quite lulzy, I must say.

Well, Juniper is considered a tree, so it is at least consistent with the professors being named after trees. Some have suggested Professor Yew (Which doesn't roll of the tongue quite as well, but it could still be worse than that) Although Juniper does sound like a mix of June and Jennifer, i'm actually pretty happy with the name.

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 4:44 AM
Aren't all Professor's names surnames?

Yes, which I did point out. The point was that despite them being surnames, it's really the only part of the professor names we'll ever get ("Samuel" Oak is anime-only) and thus they serve almost the same purpose for each character that a given name would, e.g. "Oak" invokes elder and distinguished, "Elm" invokes young and flustered, "Birch" invokes bearded and rugged, you get the idea. And with that in mind, Juniper wouldn't be completely out of place as a female given name, despite the fact that it's the Unova professor's surname and not her given name.

It made sense a few hours ago.

Wallaroo42
28th December 2010, 4:48 AM
Juniper's just a regular name to me. I know it from songs and TV shows and stuff where it's been used as a name. I really like it for her (I wonder if it's her first name? That would be a change... probably not though)

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 5:10 AM
It made sense a few hours ago.

It still does.

BCVM22
28th December 2010, 5:15 AM
(I wonder if it's her first name?)

Her father is called "Araragi Papa"/"Mr. Juniper", which indicates it's her family name.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mr._Juniper

Pikacu
28th December 2010, 6:48 AM
arent most professors refered to by last name prof oak - gary oak

Dr. Leggs
28th December 2010, 7:41 AM
Sooo... is that a bad thing? Just wondering.

Pretty sure it's a bad thing. I don't think anybody else would make that ridiculous train of logic and it's certain that NoA didn't make that an intentional 'dark-humoured joke'.

American--Pi
28th December 2010, 7:50 AM
*Whew* I finally get to see all these new names! :)

Professor Juniper - It's great; I love it. It fits the naming scheme of the Pokemon professors perfectly.

Munna - I'm glad they kept the Japanese name, though I'm not really sure how to pronounce it. (Believe me, I have a HUGE issue with pronunciation... XD)

Pidove - Meh, I like the Japanese name a tad better... I guess I'll get used to it. Once again, I don't know how to pronounce the name. Pidove will definitely be my first caught pokemon when I get Black/White (I hope).

Sandile - Haha sounds like Sandal. That's all I'll say.

Blitzle - Sounds like one of Santa's reindeer (Blitzen)! But that's why the name is cool. If I get a Blitzle I might name it Blitzen, hahaha.

Minccino - I don't know how to pronounce this one either... :(

Klink - My absolute favorite English name. :D I would never have gotten used to calling a Pokemon "Gear".

Darmanitan - Where did they get THAT name from? It sounds kind of awkward...

Gigalith - Nice, decent English name... that's all. :D

Zhanton
28th December 2010, 8:20 AM
Darmanitan - Where did they get THAT name from? It sounds kind of awkward...
Daruma [as in daruma doll] + orangutan.

Corroded Arceus
28th December 2010, 8:38 AM
I quite like the new names, I think they're acceptably creative and roll off the tounge nicely. "Darmanitan" reminded me of Dalmation when I first read it.

The only thing I find a little weird is N being called N. I'm going to pretend it's his initial, because I've never heard of any person named a simple letter before. It is but a minor annoyance however; incessantly whinging about names is stupid.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 8:43 AM
Now I'm gunning for Oranguma for Darumakka's International English name. :P

Also:

Sandile is pronounced sandial, like the end of crocodile (unless the rest of the world's started saying crocadill).
Munna, going by Japanese pronunciation, should be pronounced like mute as if you were reading it the way it is spelt ( i.e. minus the 'y' sound after the 'm') plus 'na' as in 'nut'. I can see the anime pronunciation being something like 'Moona', which is fine. So long as it doesn't sound like 'mutter'.

The only thing I find a little weird is N being called N. I'm going to pretend it's his initial, because I've never heard of any person named a simple letter before. It is but a minor annoyance however; incessantly whinging about names is stupid.

You'll be pleased to know that N is in fact not his 'real' name and there is a hint in BW as to what it is apparently, according to Masuda in an interview. It's possible that this name will be revealed in the 3rd version.

Chibi_Muffin
28th December 2010, 10:20 AM
*Whew* I finally get to see all these new names! :)

Professor Juniper - It's great; I love it. It fits the naming scheme of the Pokemon professors perfectly.

Munna - I'm glad they kept the Japanese name, though I'm not really sure how to pronounce it. (Believe me, I have a HUGE issue with pronunciation... XD) How about Moo-Na? That's how I pronounce it.

Pidove - Meh, I like the Japanese name a tad better... I guess I'll get used to it. Once again, I don't know how to pronounce the name. Pidove will definitely be my first caught pokemon when I get Black/White (I hope). Pih-Dove. Simple really. I'm getting one too.

Sandile - Haha sounds like Sandal. That's all I'll say. Sounds like Sandial to me, so it reminds me of sundials. XD

Blitzle - Sounds like one of Santa's reindeer (Blitzen)! But that's why the name is cool. If I get a Blitzle I might name it Blitzen, hahaha.

Minccino - I don't know how to pronounce this one either... :( Min-Sea-No?

Klink - My absolute favorite English name. :D I would never have gotten used to calling a Pokemon "Gear".

Darmanitan - Where did they get THAT name from? It sounds kind of awkward... Darma (a Japanese doll) and Orangutan.

Gigalith - Nice, decent English name... that's all. :D

Replies in bold. BTW, the earlier Gigalith statement... I know how to pronounce it, I meant that the 'lith' bit might be tongue twisting.

As for N... I always thought that was his name. Apparently he was raised by Pokémon, so it would make sense for him not to have a proper name.

...Um, about base stats. Is 75 in a base stat good? I'm wondering because I'm picking Snivy. And is 55/65 enough to deal decent (1/4 or 1/3) damage on a neutral traget? Again - this time Vulxina.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 10:32 AM
Chillaccino's name is spelled phonetically as Chiracchino in Japanese and romanized as Chillaccino.

Based on that shall we assume that Minccino follows the 'chino' sound, rather than a 'sea' sound, until we get some evidence to the contrary?

Blazios
28th December 2010, 12:03 PM
Munna - I'm glad they kept the Japanese name, though I'm not really sure how to pronounce it. (Believe me, I have a HUGE issue with pronunciation... XD):

I think it's Moon-a, given that its name probably comes from moon.

O (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/O), J (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/J).

bippacooleth
28th December 2010, 12:29 PM
So its not pronounced 'Muh-na'? Ohh, I'm so bad at pronouncing these names :(

Pikacu
28th December 2010, 12:35 PM
Pidove - clearly the people who create the english names were arguing about wether its a pidgeon or a dove

SasakiThePikachu
28th December 2010, 12:51 PM
N was raised by Pokemon?
Wonder if his real name is Mowgli, then? XD

I'm pronouncing Pidove as pie-dove, is that wrong? Pid-dove just sounds a bit silly.

Everyone who has trouble pronouncing Munna - what SabMas and Chibi just said. Pronounce it as if it's japanese, so moon-na, but emphasise the 'n' sound, not the 'ooh' sound. If it only had one n, then yeah it would be a flat-out moo-na, but a double n in japanese makes you linger and pronounce it almost as its own syllable.

(I'm not trying to be clever, btw. I've just watched a sh*tload of fansubs.

I remain confused about Darmanitan. Maybe if it were Darmangutan or even Darmatan, I'd be less confused. It's the 'ni' sound that bothers me, it sticks out as not belonging to either Darma or Orangutan. Maybe it's darma+nitro+orangutan; nitro being explosive and the poke being a fiesty fire type. Or maybe I am trying to read so far into this that my brain will end up eating itself.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 12:55 PM
Pidove - clearly the people who create the english names were arguing about wether its a pidgeon or a dove

Pigeons and doves are fairly closely related.
Hatohboh is based on a Turtledove.
Pidgeon is an older spelling of Pigeon
ove could also come from 'love', a reference to the heart on its chest.

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 1:02 PM
Oh wow, my mind is always blown when I hear a new pronunciation for something, and I've been pronouncing Munna like munn-er ever since its Japanese release. What a pain. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Anyway, as for the rest of the names, I really like them all. I don't know what everyone has against Prof. Juniper; I think it's an amazing name. It fits her really well. My favourite is Blitzle by far, though.

Corroded Arceus
28th December 2010, 1:02 PM
You'll be pleased to know that N is in fact not his 'real' name and there is a hint in BW as to what it is apparently, according to Masuda in an interview. It's possible that this name will be revealed in the 3rd version.

Oh, thankyou for sharing this! I now have no "isshus" with any of the names so far.

@Blazios I don't watch the anime, so this doesn't bother me. Even saying this, I am guessing that these characters go by their initials.

bippacooleth
28th December 2010, 1:25 PM
N was raised by Pokemon?
Wonder if his real name is Mowgli, then? XD

I'm pronouncing Pidove as pie-dove, is that wrong? Pid-dove just sounds a bit silly.

Everyone who has trouble pronouncing Munna - what SabMas and Chibi just said. Pronounce it as if it's japanese, so moon-na, but emphasise the 'n' sound, not the 'ooh' sound. If it only had one n, then yeah it would be a flat-out moo-na, but a double n in japanese makes you linger and pronounce it almost as its own syllable.

(I'm not trying to be clever, btw. I've just watched a sh*tload of fansubs.

I remain confused about Darmanitan. Maybe if it were Darmangutan or even Darmatan, I'd be less confused. It's the 'ni' sound that bothers me, it sticks out as not belonging to either Darma or Orangutan. Maybe it's darma+nitro+orangutan; nitro being explosive and the poke being a fiesty fire type. Or maybe I am trying to read so far into this that my brain will end up eating itself.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
I think that Darmanitan has an 'i' in it because some people - such as myself :P - pronounce orangutan orang-i-tan. So the orangutan reference was clear to me when I first read it, and possibly to the people at NoA who made the names :)

bugcatchersdream
28th December 2010, 1:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks of Kremlings whenever I hear Klink's name?

Sponge
28th December 2010, 2:32 PM
No....I'm not reminded of Kremlings when I hear Klink :p

For some reason the name Panpour reminds me of Pampers XD (a brand of nappies/diapers)

SasakiThePikachu
28th December 2010, 4:14 PM
Thanks for clearing that up :)
I think that Darmanitan has an 'i' in it because some people - such as myself :P - pronounce orangutan orang-i-tan. So the orangutan reference was clear to me when I first read it, and possibly to the people at NoA who made the names :)

*tips hat* welcome :)

Ah! Yes you're right, if you say it very quickly it does sound more like a darma/orangutan mix.

Blitzle (I don't even like that pokemon) and Professor Juniper are my fave english names so far (Munna doesn't count, since it stayed the same ^^). If Hiun turned to something as pretty as Castelia, I can't wait to see what all the other towns will be.

Thanks, NoA - this has been the best christmas EVER! *giggles and runs around like a little kid* XD

Btw, has anyone else noticed that Black and White English Versions are *drumroll* finally available for pre-order on Amazon.com? *releases balloons* I'd be a bit happier about this if they weren't restricting shipping to US only. I have a right to import, dammit!! TT___TT Off to ebay...

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 4:35 PM
Shame that amazon.co.uk doesn't seem to be offering it yet. I'm thinking about importing because I only have a DS lite (which I don't think the games are region locked on), but I'll be getting a 3DS eventually, so I want to be able to use it on there too.

SasakiThePikachu
28th December 2010, 4:58 PM
Shame that amazon.co.uk doesn't seem to be offering it yet. I'm thinking about importing because I only have a DS lite (which I don't think the games are region locked on), but I'll be getting a 3DS eventually, so I want to be able to use it on there too.

They'll have them for pre-order within the next 30 days, based on HG and SS's release pattern, but still - I like having the option to import, even if I'm not going to do it. It's just nice to know I could if I wanted to. Besides, $26 plus $12 shipping is no doubt still cheaper than what amazon.co.uk will be asking for these games...

And no, DS lites aren't locked :D

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 5:08 PM
I wasn't following the release date of HG/SS (in fact, I wasn't very interested in them at all until I actually bought them) but that sounds reasonable. After all, it's not like Brawl or anything; we're not having to wait several months more than America.

If the Europe release date does turn out to be a month or so after the American one, though, I'll probably import White and buy the European Black, because Black is the one I want the most, so it'd be good to play that one on the 3DS when I get it.

LexSuicune
28th December 2010, 6:12 PM
Anyways, I'm glad the games are coming so soon, gives me hope the third game won't be taking 2+ years to see the light of day, :(.

Raikou_fan
28th December 2010, 6:31 PM
Overall, I think I like most of the new names so far. Blitzle is probably my favorite(not counting Munna); too bad I probably won't be using it though. I'm really excited to see what they name everything else.

The only one I really don't like is gear's Klink... Really, Klink??? Thats stupid, and not creative at all.
GF: "Lets not waste time trying to think of a name for this one; instead, lets just name it after a sound that metal makes."
Really though that's the only one that I REALLY dislike.

As for the system, from what I've heard the 3DS is due to be released sometime in March. But I really doubt that it will be for the 3DS, since B/W were made for the current DS in Japan, and they probably wouldn't make such a big change for the English release..

Grei
28th December 2010, 8:28 PM
The only one I really don't like is gear's Klink... Really, Klink??? Thats stupid, and not creative at all.
GF: "Lets not waste time trying to think of a name for this one; instead, lets just name it after a sound that metal makes."
Really though that's the only one that I REALLY dislike.

:|

Its Japanese name is Gear.
How creative of a name did you honestly expect GameFreak to give it when it's Japanese name is so simple?

Also, just because a name isn't creative doesn't mean it's a bad one. Klink really fits and describes the Pokemon well. Just because it wasn't a combination of words and puns and the like, like "Energear" or "Steeloid" or something doesn't mean it's bad.

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 8:54 PM
You guys do know that Klink is classified as the gear Pokemon?

Now think about it...
Gear the Gear Pokemon
Energear the Gear Pokemon

Does it sound right? Now shut up.

Dracoste
28th December 2010, 9:01 PM
Just because a name isn't creative doesn't mean it's a bad one. Klink really fits and describes the Pokemon well. Just because it wasn't a combination of words and puns and the like, like "Energear" or "Steeloid" or something doesn't mean it's bad.

Indeed. IMO I really like the name, especially how it sounds, Klink Klink Klink^_^.
But what the biggest question remains to me is, how the heck are they going to name the evo's. They can't do the same as they did in the Japanes name, cause Klikliklink is one char to big :S. NoA will probably think up on something fitting.

Rose Storm
28th December 2010, 9:10 PM
Klink, Klunk, Kerplunk? *shot*

Dracoste
28th December 2010, 9:14 PM
Klink, Klunk, Kerplunk? *shot*

Well....maybe it's evo's will have an other metalic sound as name. We just have to wait what they will do.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 9:19 PM
Put it this way, Gigigear was a joke name for Gear's final evo for months before September 18th on 2ch. Imagine how awkward it was for them when they were right.

Any names that NoA comes up with can only be better.

Linkdarkside
28th December 2010, 9:31 PM
Pidove - clearly the people who create the english names were arguing about wether its a pidgeon or a doveove could also have come from love as his hearth shape on their big pecks,besides his japanese name have pato in its name which is spanish for duck. dove>duck

nikohesus
28th December 2010, 9:39 PM
Pigeons and Doves are the same animal, try typing in pigeon in Wikipedia.

Grei
28th December 2010, 9:40 PM
Pigeons and Doves are the same animal.

They aren't different birds. They're one in the same.

People just think of the grey ones as "pigeons", while the white ones are "doves." But ultimately, they're the same species of bird, which probably relates to why Pidove may stem from Pigeon and Dove.

EDIT: Blargh Ninja'd

Crystal_Power
28th December 2010, 9:49 PM
Now, I hope they reveal Muuna's evolution name soon, I really hope it's Musharna.

Anyone else think well get updates every week?

Lorde
28th December 2010, 9:52 PM
Now, I hope they reveal Muuna's evolution name soon, I really hope it's Musharna.

Anyone else think well get updates every week?

I think there's a pretty good chance that Musharna will be keeping its Japanese name, like Munna did. I don't know what the names Munna and Musharna are derived from exactly (someone help a sister out), but I can see Musharna being kept. If they wanted to change it, they should've changed Munna as well. I think the site updates every other week from what I've noticed recently.

Luxrayess
28th December 2010, 9:58 PM
Pigeons and Doves are the same animal.

They aren't different birds. They're one in the same.

People just think of the grey ones as "pigeons", while the white ones are "doves." But ultimately, they're the same species of bird, which probably relates to why Pidove may stem from Pigeon and Dove.

Ah true, but there are many other species of dove besides the rock dove/pigeon. Like the mourning dove (a species of dove in North America, though I don't know if it's a 'true' dove in terms of genetic-relations and taxonomy).

Anyways, I have no problem with Pidove.

However, the new name for "Pigeon heart" -"Big Pecks" - made me snicker.

;257; Pidove? Big Pecks? You kiddin' me? I'm the one with muscle around here!

Joking aside, "Big Pecks" technically does make sense, since birds do have large and strong pectoral muscles to help them flap their wings.

AlexKZ
28th December 2010, 10:01 PM
My opinions on the names we've gotten so far:

Tepig: Meh, its not the greatest. I'll let Bel or Cheren have him
Oshawatt: I was really hoping for something more "otter" in the name. They're my favorite animal, and this name seems strange. Still, I like it the most of the starters.
Snivy: Short an simple. Nothing else to say.
Minccino: Maybe I'm pronouncing it wrong, but I fail to see how this pokemon is related to cooking. I hear the word mince in this name so much.
Gigaiath: Very fitting! I like it!
Sandile: When I first read it, I saw Sandle. It took me a few time of reading it over to realize there was an "i" between the d and l. I guess I name the nickname I'll give it if I decide to catch one.
Klink: I don't get why people are hating on it. Its a neat name.
Darmanitan: Although the japanese name was longer, I think it rolled off the tongue better.
Blitzle: I was hoping for a cooler name for this awesome pokemon. Guess not. =[
Munna: Yay! Stayed the same.
Pidove: I think this is just as bad as Big Pecks. I get how they tried to combine Pigeon and Dove, but seriously? When I pronounce this name, I immediately add more syllables to the end. Try it, you'll get: Pidove-ile, which then can become Pidovile. Smooth GameFreak, smooth. Now we can say the Pidovile has Big Pecks. Harhar.

Crystal_Power
28th December 2010, 10:01 PM
I think there's a pretty good chance that Musharna will be keeping its Japanese name, like Munna did. I don't know what the names Munna and Musharna are derived from exactly (someone help a sister out), but I can see Musharna being kept. If they wanted to change it, they should've changed Munna as well. I think the site updates every other week from what I've noticed recently.

You know, I would like to know if the names Munna and Musharna are derived from as well. I like the names since I think they fit them perfectly and I couldn't find a real meaning for them.

lindsy95
28th December 2010, 10:04 PM
I have no idea why. But klink is one of my favorit new names. XD

psycojosho
28th December 2010, 10:16 PM
From where I'm from (Louisville, Kentucky) pigeons are the larger, dirtier birds that often nest in overpasses and mate with more than one partner in their life and doves are the smaller, cleaner birds that often nest in peaceful suburban, rural, or uncultivated areas and mate with only one partner in their whole lives. At least that's what I've been told.

Lorde
28th December 2010, 10:23 PM
Anyways, I have no problem with Pidove.

However, the new name for "Pigeon heart" -"Big Pecks" - made me snicker.

I don't have a problem with the name "Pidove" either. Sure, I thought that the name "Mamepato" had a bit more charm than the name "Pidove" has, but I'll get over it. I'm liking that Pidove seems to be a combination of the words pigeon and dove. I honestly wouldn't have thought of combining those two words myself, but there you have it. I remember laughing a bit at the new name for Pidove's ability too, however. "Big Pecks" sounds funny, though I'm assuming it was just a coincidence.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th December 2010, 10:23 PM
From where I'm from (Louisville, Kentucky) pigeons are the larger, dirtier birds that often nest in overpasses and mate with more than one partner in their life and doves are the smaller, cleaner birds that often nest in peaceful suburban, rural, or uncultivated areas and mate with only one partner in their whole lives. At least that's what I've been told.

They're from the same family, but not necessarily the same species from a scientific standpoint as far as I can recall.

Also, the closest I've come to a name meaning for Munna and Musharna is that 'mu' is an alternate reading of this character 夢 which means dreams, otherwise I'm sutmped, tbh.

To quote me from another thread:

That's funny, because the ability's name never actually was Pigeon Heart and still isn't in Japanese, go look up the meaning of はとむね somewhere. It should have been Pigeon Chest/Pigeon Breast. Pigeon's chests are big, but since non-Pigeon based species get the ability, Big Pecks works. Also, it's punny.

There's no way Pig Pecks isn't an intentional pun.

SasakiThePikachu
29th December 2010, 12:07 AM
They're from the same family, but not necessarily the same species from a scientific standpoint as far as I can recall.

Also, the closest I've come to a name meaning for Munna and Musharna is that 'mu' is an alternate reading of this character 夢 which means dreams, otherwise I'm sutmped, tbh.

To quote me from another thread:

There's no way Pig Pecks isn't an intentional pun.

*thinks hard*

Mu is chinese for 'nothing' and Na meaning 'not' or 'no'...double negative! >.< Musha also means warrior, apprently.

So in other words, I have not a clue why these pokes are named thusly! Your 'dream' reading is probably closer.

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 12:13 AM
Probably from Moon, the best I could think of....

before I went on Bulbapedia, who only said Moon and Luna.

I guess that's it?

Nibbles4Ever
29th December 2010, 12:22 AM
I like the names sandile and pidove, however sandile is similar to totodile. Oh well XD

Linkdarkside
29th December 2010, 12:35 AM
hopefully Klink evos will be Klank and then Klunk

R_N
29th December 2010, 12:38 AM
Musharna sounds extremely familiar. I want to say based on some Indian (the country, not Native Americans) word or perhaps god.
Maybe some elephant like god? that Sharna in particular...

BCVM22
29th December 2010, 12:45 AM
[Ganesh/Ganesha] is the Hindu elephant deity most people gravitate towards. Similar sounds.

R_N
29th December 2010, 1:03 AM
[Ganesh/Ganesha] is the Hindu elephant deity most people gravitate towards. Similar sounds.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm thinking of. Also reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahasranama

Looking throughout the article [on Ganesha], it appears that India really really loves the "Sha" or "Shi" sounds.
Possibly a general design reference on gamefreak's part?

oh here's an interesting thing

A distinct form of Ganesha called Bhalachandra (IAST: bhālacandra; "Moon on the Forehead") includes that iconographic element
Hm!

Luxrayess
29th December 2010, 1:08 AM
Yeah, I think that's what I'm thinking of. Also reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahasranama

Looking throughout the article [on Ganesha], it appears that India really really loves the "Sha" or "Shi" sounds.
Possibly a general design reference on gamefreak's part?

oh here's an interesting thing

Hm!

So perhaps Musharna being the "Trance" Pokemon would refer to the Indian prefecture Goa and their psy-trance parties?

*hears silence as the audience doesn't get the joke*

wearjo
29th December 2010, 1:21 AM
when you say blitzle i think of blitzen... maybe they might make more pokemon in the next gen that is related 2 the reindeers :D

BCVM22
29th December 2010, 1:25 AM
when you say blitzle i think of blitzen... maybe they might make more pokemon in the next gen that is related 2 the reindeers :D

Maybe. Maybe not. The English name of an electric zebra Pokémon has absolutely no bearing on this whatsoever.

Lorde
29th December 2010, 2:34 AM

So the "mu" may come from dreams eh? That sounds about right since both Pokemon are based on a supernatural being that devours dreams and nightmares (the baku). For a while there, I thought that the name Munna just came from a combination of the words "moon" and "luna", since you need a Moon Stone to evolve Munna into Musharna. It would also sort of fit since the moon is visible at night, when people are asleep/having dreams. I don't know, maybe I'm just reaching.

There was also a time when I thought that the "mu" was just an alternate spelling of "moo", the sound that cows make. Now that I look back, I realize how udderly ridiculous that thought was.

R_N
29th December 2010, 2:39 AM
If only they would release Data books about Pokemon :C

wearjo
29th December 2010, 2:58 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. The English name of an electric zebra Pokémon has absolutely no bearing on this whatsoever.

i meant the names...

Missingno. Master
29th December 2010, 2:59 AM
Some of my predictions for the English names of other Pokemon:
Chaobuu: Sausinge (sausage+singe)
Koromori: Psybat (psychic+bat)
Doryuzu: Drillpoon (drill+harpoon)
Otamaru: Tadpulse (tadpole+pulse)
Gamagaru: Vibracroak (vibration+croak)
Gamageroge: Deciblast (decibil+blast)
Nageki: Judred (judo+red)
Dageki: Karablu (karate+blue)
Basurao: Piranate (piranha+pirate)
Marakacchi: Maractus (maracas+cactus)
Zuruzukin: Gangpants (gang+pants (seriously, if they don't call it this, I am so catching one and naming it Gangpants))
Gochimiru: Gothnosis (goth+hypnosis)
Uniran: Jelloby (jello+baby)
Daburan: Jellosplit (jello+split)
Tesshido: Thornorb (thorn+orb)
Nattorei: Vynespike (vine+spike)
Kumasyun: Nasmall (nasal+small)
Tsunbear: Urscicle (ursa+icicle)
Kojofu: Kungall (kung fu+gall)
Kojondo: Tikwondoom (tae kwon do+doom)
Buffalon: Affrolo (afro+buffalo)
Baruchai: Daiperskul (daiper+skull)
Gigear: Klang (clang)
Gigigear: Klatter (clatter)

Rose Storm
29th December 2010, 3:18 AM
Those actually sound pretty feasible. Psybat sounds like it could happen, based on Sandile. I'm loving Tikwondoom, too :P

Dr. Leggs
29th December 2010, 5:58 AM

Seel, Golem, Ditto and Electrode say hello.

Chimchar15
29th December 2010, 7:51 AM
Well I pre-ordered my copy of Pokemon Black today at gamestop. All I need to do now is pick it up on the 6th. So far I am loving what they are doing with the English release of the games keep it up NoA.

Gokuzaru
29th December 2010, 7:57 AM
Seel, Golem, Ditto and Electrode say hello.

hahaha, hes got you there. its not really all that bad of a name anyways. i think someone earlier said klink klank klunk, and i think that thats hilarious.
even if that was exactly what they did to choose the name, then i'd say theyve put enough work into this stuff anyways so if they want a few crappy names, hey, who are we to stop em?

BW202
29th December 2010, 8:12 AM
I really like the English names, but Blitzle has been a questionable name. I loved the name, but it just didn't fit the Pokemon. I have just learned however from Bulbapedia that blitz is German for lightning. Now that the name fits it is one of my favorites (even with no Zebra reference). :D

R_N
29th December 2010, 8:16 AM
hahaha, hes got you there. its not really all that bad of a name anyways. i think someone earlier said klink klank klunk, and i think that thats hilarious.
even if that was exactly what they did to choose the name, then i'd say theyve put enough work into this stuff anyways so if they want a few crappy names, hey, who are we to stop em?

Klink is also interesting considering Klink's origin.

It apparently only recently, and randomly, showed up 100 years ago. So it's very possible that they named it, in-universe, after the clinking of the gears.

murkrowrob
29th December 2010, 10:22 AM
Minccino - I still prefer Chillarmy as I think it suits the cute little chinchilla better. Minccino is alright...
Gigalith - I love this name. It works really well and I prefer it to gigaiath. My only problem is that if I say it quick enough, it sounds a bit like diglett
Sandile - OMG <3 This is such a great name for meguroko. I'm a fan of crocodiles and now it has a great name too!
Blitzle - I'm not quite sure about this one. I have no idea how it relates to zebras, but I'll live
Pidove - I can tell half the people I know are either going to pronounce it "pie-dove" or "pedo-ve" as opposed to "pee-dove", but it's still an alrigfht name...
Klink - better than gear at least
Darmanitan - WTF? You'd think they'd keep daruma in there somewhere. Not really keen on this one...

BCVM22
29th December 2010, 10:30 AM
Darmanitan - WTF? You'd think they'd keep daruma in there somewhere. Not really keen on this one...

Where do you think the "Darma-" comes from?

Zhanton
29th December 2010, 11:42 AM
Blitzle - I'm not quite sure about this one. I have no idea how it relates to zebras, but I'll live
In German, blitz can mean flash or lightning. Seeing as the little zebra is an electric type, it makes sense.

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 11:51 AM
You just explained the meaning of it's name, not how it relates zebras
And this is what he said:

Zhanton
29th December 2010, 12:28 PM
You just explained the meaning of it's name, not how it relates zebras

Not all Pokemon names need to relate to the animal they're based on.
Take Gyarados for example. Munna. Diglett.

SasakiThePikachu
29th December 2010, 12:54 PM

I like Klink - it sounds stupidly simple, but the onomatopoeia-ness of it is quite clever. I don't believe any other pokes have that...(?) It's cute and catchy, and that puts it into a better class of name, for me at least, than Seel and Electrode.

(Funny how a lot of the first-gen names are truly cringe-worthy now we look back at them, yet no-one complained about them back then the way they complain about names nowadays. We're spoiled these days, and we don't even know it :P)

Murkrowrob - what BCVM22 said. Darma (or Dharma) is the proper word for it, it's just the Japanese who call it 'Daruma', so removing the 'u' sound was a logical step for the english translation to make.

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 1:02 PM
Not all Pokemon names need to relate to the animal they're based on.
Take Gyarados for example. Munna. Diglett.

I'm not saying that all names haves to relate to the Pokémon's animal it's based on.
I was only saying that you didn't answered his question.
It would be very uncreative if all pokémon names holds a part of which animal it's based of.

Linkdarkside
29th December 2010, 3:03 PM
is much creative than its the japanese name and besides it a misspelled/corrupted word of Clink.

misspelled/corrupted pokemon names include Muk,Ninetales,Lanturn,Koffing and Weezing.

Aurath8
29th December 2010, 3:12 PM
is much creative than its the japanese name and besides it a misspelled/corrupted word of Clink.

misspelled/corrupted pokemon names include Muk,Ninetales,Lanturn,Koffing and Weezing.

Actually weezing is actually an actual word, actually.
Gawd, first gen names could be uncreative.

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 3:14 PM
Actually weezing is actually an actual word, actually.
Gawd, first gen names could be uncreative.

Actually, weezing's name is a coruption/misspelling of the word wheezing.

But that aside, I really like the new names. I think you say Minccino as Min-chino. I typed it in google translator and clicked the listen button and got this (http://translate.google.nl/?hl=nl&tab=wT#en|en|Minccino)(click on the speaker button)

wearjo
29th December 2010, 3:52 PM
Actually, weezing's name is a coruption/misspelling of the word wheezing.

But that aside, I really like the new names. I think you say Minccino as Min-chino. I typed it in google translator and clicked the listen button and got this (http://translate.google.nl/?hl=nl&tab=wT#en|en|Minccino)(click on the speaker button)

hehe ur wrong... weezing is actually a municipality in the Lower Rhine (Niederrhein) Region, in the North-Western part of North Rhine - Westphalia in the district of Kleve in the region of Dusseldorf...

Dr. Leggs
29th December 2010, 5:15 PM
hehe ur wrong... weezing is actually a municipality in the Lower Rhine (Niederrhein) Region, in the North-Western part of North Rhine - Westphalia in the district of Kleve in the region of Dusseldorf...

I think you're joking, but just in case; no, Weezing is not named after a German municipality.

It just hit me this morning that the '-le' in Blitzle probably just comes from 'little', so blitz + little gives you "little lightning" more or less, which I think fits Blitzle perfectly.

Sponge
29th December 2010, 5:42 PM
I think putting -le on to the end of many things make them seem smaller or weaker...

Blitz sounds stronger than Blitzle...

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 5:57 PM

But they did keep Daruma- Dharma- in there. It's a combination of Daruma and Orangutan. I actually happen to like this name.

R_N
29th December 2010, 6:26 PM
Daruma Dharma and Darma are all correct translations, just fyi

Rose Storm
29th December 2010, 6:27 PM
I don't really have an opinion on Darmanitan. It's a Pokemon name, and that's as far as I'm concerned. =P

If Blitzle means Little Lightening, I wonder how they could play Blitz in Zeburaika's name. All the things I can think of are terrible, so I'll leave it to you guys.

LexSuicune
29th December 2010, 6:34 PM
I for one I'm glad Munna kept its name, and I hope it's the same for Musharna.

Linkdarkside
29th December 2010, 6:49 PM
I for one I'm glad Munna kept its name, and I hope it's the same for Musharna.

nah i hope they change Musharna to Munnaluna.

Dr. Leggs
29th December 2010, 7:08 PM
I think putting -le on to the end of many things make them seem smaller or weaker...

Blitz sounds stronger than Blitzle...

It's a diminuitive, and Blitzle isn't really any sort of mighty steed so I don't have a problem with it. 'Blitz' would a pretty lame name.

Daruma Dharma and Darma are all correct translations, just fyi

Yep, Daruma = Dharma = Darma, so Darmanitan maintains that reference.

If Blitzle means Little Lightening, I wonder how they could play Blitz in Zeburaika's name. All the things I can think of are terrible, so I'll leave it to you guys.

The only thing I could think of is something along the lines of 'Blitzebra' but I kind of hope they don't... It's a bit of a gimme. XD

Grei
29th December 2010, 7:08 PM

I'm sorry, but if Doryuuzu is named "Drill Poon" I will never be able to take it seriously ever again.

But on a more serious note, aren't harpoons commonly projectiles, used in the sea no less? Doryuuzu doesn't have much to do with a harpoon.

But then it loses it's possible reference to the Hindu god Ganesha, to whom Musharna actually bears some resemblance. Musharna is just fine. Munnaluna sounds a little silly.

Bardische
29th December 2010, 7:11 PM
Marakacchi: Maractus (maracas+cactus)
Tsunbear: Urscicle (ursa+icicle)

Okay, I chose the three best from your suggestions. Actually, the last two are the best ones. Drillpoon just sounds absolutely morbid ._.

Maractus is one of the best sounding names I've ever heard. Simple, and effective.

So is Urscicle. I'm guessing this should be it. I hope it is. I'm gonna scream if they go to something as ugly as...Beardoom. Icisnot. Banjo...

Munnaluna sounds like a circus performer/fortuneteller/crazy lady from down the street.

I would go for Lunaphant, Transhuna, Levitrance. Meh.

But, I'd still rather stick with Musharna, if ever.

Now, for some random suggestions, I guess.

Victini is absolutely perfect. Victory + Tini (tiny)

Janovy > Canoprince = Canopy + prince
Jalorda > Snaking = Snake + King = 50% chance of being America's planned name, 50% no.

Chaobuu > Smokon = Smoke + Bacon
Enbuooh > Emboar = Ember + Boar (pretty much self-explanatory)

Futachimaru > Bladuo = Blade + Duo (the two shell blades)
Daikenki > Swordomini = Sword + Dominate (in reference to its ability to dominate foes with a glare and such; it also sound a bit medieval, like Sir Dominic or something)

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 7:17 PM

I'd rather not, as Tepig means Tepid Pig, and tepid means lukewarm, so the evolutions' names should become hotter.

Dr. Leggs
29th December 2010, 7:23 PM
^ Seconded. I'm expecting some sort of temperature-description pattern as they evolve. And I really, really doubt NOA is going to use 'bacon' as part of a Pokemon's nomenclature.

Linkdarkside
29th December 2010, 7:29 PM
Chaobuu name could be Phapig ,Pha come from Phat a slang for Fat, i agree whit Enbuooh being Emboar.

aggronFTW
29th December 2010, 7:49 PM
Chaoboo- Sumig (sumo+pig) maybe?
Shikijika- Seasoal? (season+foal)
Enbouh- Boarching? (boar+scorching) *gunshot*
Baniricchi- Monilla (mono+vanilla)
Denchula- Elechnid (electric+arachnid)
Nattorei-Netteel (nettle+steel)

??????
29th December 2010, 8:30 PM
Darmanitan is pretty bad ***. I expected worse. I approve.

And even Gear's name is good. Just hope they don't **** up Roopushin or Rankurusu. And hoping that they give Ganonpork and Uniderp shitty names to go with their shitty designs as well.

Rose Storm
29th December 2010, 9:03 PM
I'm thinking Fawna for Shikijika. Fawn (baby deer) + Fauna (animals, I think).

Grei
29th December 2010, 9:14 PM
I'm thinking Fawna for Shikijika. Fawn (baby deer) + Fauna (animals, I think).

While a similar name will possibly be chosen, I hope that Shikijika's English name is able to capture all of the puns that are in the name Shikijika. Bulbapedia only lists two but I'm pretty sure there were at least four, kind of like Hihidaruma.

Darmanitan got the two main puns so I hope that Shikijika's English name will similarly get two of the major puns in its name: Seasons and Deer.

MetalFlygon08
29th December 2010, 9:42 PM
I could see Kumashun (or whatever the baby polar bear is) to become Snicle\ (snot/snivel + icicle)

and Tsunbea to Tsundra (tundra)

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 10:04 PM
I could see Kumashun (or whatever the baby polar bear is) to become Snicle\ (snot/snivel + icicle)

Snicle I love immensely, and I admire your usage of tundra, but where does the Tsu come from? I understand it's from the Japanese name, but it seems out of place in Tsundra. Also, English speakers might not notice that the T is silent (at least, I think it is.)

Lorde
29th December 2010, 10:15 PM

"Snicle" sounds too much like "Sneasel", don't you think? I think they'll go with something completely different for Kumashun's (Kumasyun's?) English name. I do like the idea of Tsunbear being Tsundra though. That reference to "tundra" is perfect since Tsunbear apparently inhabit areas in the cold lands of the north.

MetalFlygon08
29th December 2010, 10:19 PM
Snicle and Sneasel sound as similar as seel and sealeo

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 11:17 PM
^You-your signature....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Best ability name ever...

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 11:19 PM
I don't really get it, aren't pecks made with beaks?

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 11:32 PM
I don't really get it, aren't pecks made with beaks?

Big Pecks
Big pectorals
Ya' know, pectoral muscles? Abs?

You don't get it...?

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm not English so I didn't get it first.
But now I get it, Thanks! It's really funny XD. And I learned a new word today^_^

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 11:43 PM
Funny as hell!
Also, guys, the Pokemon Black and White North American trailer has appeared on the Wii Nintendo Channel.

I seriously can't wait anymore...

Dracoste
29th December 2010, 11:50 PM
The EU release date will probably be revealed next week or over 2 weeks. After al that waiting we're almost there *v*.

The ability name I have the most trouble with now is "Moxie", because of those Moxie girls dolls, I think I just have to block that name first out of my head before I can look at it seriously. What does "moxie" means actually, is it an real word?

nikohesus
29th December 2010, 11:52 PM
Moxie means overconfidence, pride, strength. It matches fine, and I tend to ignore those dolls.

Dracoste
30th December 2010, 12:00 AM
OK, yeah it makes more sense now. Pride because you just defeated someone, and you become more overconfidence when you defeated someone and the ability gives more strenght.
And what dolls^_^?

Luxrayess
30th December 2010, 12:12 AM
Big Pecks
Big pectorals
Ya' know, pectoral muscles? Abs?

You don't get it...?

No, pectoral muscles are on your chest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectoralis_major_muscle), not your abdomen. Pidove doesn't have Big Abs, after all.

Lorde
30th December 2010, 12:30 AM
No, pectoral muscles are on your chest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectoralis_major_muscle), not your abdomen. Pidove doesn't have Big Abs, after all.

Well, maybe Pidove does have big abs. Pidove has been working out, after all :p

You know, after skimming through the new names for the Generation 5 Pokemon, I feel like I know more about them. I didn't know that Darmanitan was based on an ape before, for example. I always thought it was just supposed to be some sort of hairy monster-like Pokemon and not necessarily an ape-like Pokemon. Back when it was first revealed, I even thought that it was a pig-based Pokemon and that it was related to Tepig. Anyway, I'm starting to like the name Blitzle, since it's based on the German word for lightning.

bugcatchersdream
30th December 2010, 12:31 AM
I agree. That Big Pecks thing is HILARIOUS. But PLEASE, no custom Barujina...
O_o
Anyway...

Dangoro: Bouldear (Boulder+Ear)
Mogrew: Shovole (Shovel+Mole
Monmen: Sheepuff (Sheep+Puff)
Nattorei: Bramball (Bramble+Ball)
Riguree: Gralien (Grey+Alien)
Baruchai: Skulture (Skull+Vulture)
Ulgamoth: Mothray (Mothra+Ray)

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 12:40 AM

I was using the term "abs" to remind Dracoste of muscles in the torso, to remind him what pecs were. I understand that abdomen=/=pectorals.

RitterCat
30th December 2010, 12:42 AM
I actually think Skulture is very likely. Vultot and Skulture, yay

mickey
30th December 2010, 12:46 AM
Minccino sounds italian! I am Italian, so I read Minccino:"min-chě-no". How should be the correct pronunciation of that name in english??

wearjo
30th December 2010, 12:52 AM
Seeing as the names are pronounced weirdly ( such as pikachu... in the anime it's peekachu lol ) i would think it would be Minsino or Minchyno... y dont we just w8 and see???

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 1:05 AM
Umm... it is PEEK- achu, it always has been. How did you pronounce it?
0_0

SasakiThePikachu
30th December 2010, 1:07 AM
I agree. That Big Pecks thing is HILARIOUS. But PLEASE, no custom Barujina...
O_o
Anyway...

Dangoro: Bouldear (Boulder+Ear)
Mogrew: Shovole (Shovel+Mole
Monmen: Sheepuff (Sheep+Puff)
Nattorei: Bramball (Bramble+Ball)
Riguree: Gralien (Grey+Alien)
Baruchai: Skulture (Skull+Vulture)
Ulgamoth: Mothray (Mothra+Ray)

Yeah, they're gonna have to be careful how they handle Barujina. It has the potential to go horribly, hilariously wrong. I heard someone suggest 'Seasawn' for Shikijika, and while I'm not prone to unkind laughter, that did sorta make me go 'pffft' :P I'm hoping for 'Fawna' or 'Fauna'...it just makes so much sense.

God, I'm excited about the upcoming UK release date. I'm checking Amazon every day, and when it finally appears I am going to scream so loud they're gonna hear me over in Tokyo :D

Above all other names, I'm just dying to hear the starter evos most of all now! C'mon Daikenki, be awesome, be awesome *grabs a defenceless Jirachi and wishes hard on it* >.<

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 1:07 AM
Minccino sounds italian! I am Italian, so I read Minccino:"min-chě-no". How should be the correct pronunciation of that name in english??

Yes, that is the correct and intended pronunciation.

BCVM22
30th December 2010, 1:42 AM
I'm checking Amazon every day, and when it finally appears I am going to scream so loud they're gonna hear me over in Tokyo :D

Amazon's not going to have it before Nintendo of Europe does. Check a reputable news source or the European Pokémon website rather than a retailer.

Rose Storm
30th December 2010, 2:23 AM
Unless the release dates are apart by only a few days, I'll be importing it anyway. For such a big game, it's too much torture to sit and watch everyone talk about how good it is!

Luxrayess
30th December 2010, 2:30 AM
Well, maybe Pidove does have big abs. Pidove has been working out, after all :p

;257; "Harrumph!"

You know, after skimming through the new names for the Generation 5 Pokemon, I feel like I know more about them. I didn't know that Darmanitan was based on an ape before, for example. I always thought it was just supposed to be some sort of hairy monster-like Pokemon and not necessarily an ape-like Pokemon. Back when it was first revealed, I even thought that it was a pig-based Pokemon and that it was related to Tepig. Anyway, I'm starting to like the name Blitzle, since it's based on the German word for lightning.

If there is one thing I've learned from digging deep into the 5th Gen, it has to be the meaning of "Moxie" (previously fan-translated as "Overconfidence"). I looked in my ye olde 1980's copy of the American Heritage dictionary, and it turns out that word means:

1. A trademark for a soft drink.

Whoops, wrong meaning...

2. Small m. Slang. The ability to face dificulty with spirit; pluck.

Ah, there we go!

Basicly, "moxie" is a rough equivalent of "overconfidence".

EDIT: Looks like I was ninja'd ahead of time. XP

lindsy95
30th December 2010, 3:17 AM
In all honesty I've enver heard the word 'moxie' before.
-adds to mental dictonary-

halloweenghost
30th December 2010, 3:34 AM
0_0

This.. I wanna know too

wearjo
30th December 2010, 3:45 AM
0_0

how it is spelt lol... pikachu... i will definately not be calling it peekachu.......

on second thoughts... i think i might have actaully been calling it peekachu without knowing it...

halloweenghost
30th December 2010, 3:58 AM
how it is spelt lol... pikachu... i will definately not be calling it peekachu.......

on second thoughts... i think i might have actaully been calling it peekachu without knowing it...

well you probably should call it peekachu other may look at you weirdly lol

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 4:09 AM

In no time of my life have I ever heard an alternate pronunciation of the series' mascot.

Mario with Lasers
30th December 2010, 4:14 AM
Pee-kah-chu. I guess that's how it's pronounced ?__?

halloweenghost
30th December 2010, 4:23 AM
In no time of my life have I ever heard an alternate pronunciation of the series' mascot.

mt friend chris once called it in the early days a pakachu

wearjo
30th December 2010, 4:42 AM
mt friend chris once called it in the early days a pakachu

i'm pretty sure that Pikachu is a reasonable alternate pronunciation for peekachu but pakachu... really???

Dracoste
30th December 2010, 11:28 AM
Are we discussing how to pronounce the name of an 1st gen pokémon that we have seen on TV for like, thousand times!?

RitterCat
30th December 2010, 12:13 PM
It seems we are. It also seems that people are having problems with Minccino. It has not, is not and will not ever be min-sea-no or anything of the liek. Double c, in languages liek Italian (among others), which the ccino evidently comes from, is a ch sound. Hopeully this is once and for all cleared up. Min-chee-no. MIN-CHEE-NO

RitterCat
30th December 2010, 12:13 PM
It seems we are. It also seems that people are having problems with Minccino. It has not, is not and will not ever be min-sea-no or anything of the liek. Double c, in languages liek Italian (among others), which the ccino evidently comes from, is a ch sound. Hopeully this is once and for all cleared up. Min-chee-no. MIN-CHEE-NO

BCVM22
30th December 2010, 12:16 PM
Also keep in mind that the little bugger and its evolution are both chinchillas, which should further put to rest the "see vs. chee" debate.

Dracoste
30th December 2010, 12:31 PM
Indeed, like in chinchilla we have to pronounce it min-chee-no. Of course, the way you think to pronounce it depends of the language you speak, to me, as an Dutchman, it wasn't so difficult to pronounce it. And last gen, I had trouble on how to pronounce Buizel until I heard it in the animé.

mickey
30th December 2010, 12:49 PM

I can confirm it, double consonant in italian makes the sound stronger, but the double consonant "c" (sounding ch) makes no sense after the nasal consonant "n", we will read in the same way Minccino and Mincino.

So I think that maybe, the correct pronunciation could be "mink-chi-no"... What do you think about that?

Dracoste
30th December 2010, 1:32 PM
I can confirm it, double consonant in italian makes the sound stronger, but the double consonant "c" (sounding ch) makes no sense after the nasal consonant "n", we will read in the same way Minccino and Mincino.

So I think that maybe, the correct pronunciation could be "mink-chi-no"... What do you think about that?

I think that you have to see the "cc" as one sound, the ch sound. I don't really think it contains "mink". We only know for sure if we see it in the animé, luckily it's the 13th episode of Best Wishes, so we don't have to wait too long.

RitterCat
30th December 2010, 2:09 PM
Yeh it's the English name, so I don't think gf would be too bothered with Italian technicalities, so no mink in there

Pikacu
30th December 2010, 2:38 PM
I dont think theyll use blitz in Zeburaika's english name theyll come up with another electric based word, although whenever someone say blitz to me i always think fire

SasakiThePikachu
30th December 2010, 3:17 PM
Is the name 'Minccino' making anyone else think of a foamy, furry hot beverage, or is that just me?

Dracoste
30th December 2010, 3:26 PM
Is the name 'Minccino' making anyone else think of a foamy, furry hot beverage, or is that just me?

Maybe a little, but only because it ends with "ccino", as in cappuccino

Missingno. Master
30th December 2010, 3:54 PM

Replace "furry" with "minty", and you got what I'm thinking of.

Yeah, I pronounce it "min-chee-no".

And I swear to Arceus, if they don't name Zuruzukin Gangpants, they better at least use some pants-related pun.

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 6:14 PM
Minccino should be pronounced "Min-chee-no" just like Capuccino.
English isn't my native language and neither is Italian, but it seems to be pretty obvious, after all Chillaccino's original translation was Chillachino, so yeah.
Also, I don't think they'll change the evolution's name, Minccino->Chillaccino seems pretty fine to me.

mickey
30th December 2010, 6:14 PM
I think that you have to see the "cc" as one sound, the ch sound. I don't really think it contains "mink". We only know for sure if we see it in the animé, luckily it's the 13th episode of Best Wishes, so we don't have to wait too long.

But mink would make sense! :P

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 6:32 PM

How so? Minccino and Chillaccino are not minks, they're chinchillas.
Mini would make sense because Minccino is small, and mint as well in reference to "mint" condition, meaning clean and demonstrating how clean Minccino is.

LexSuicune
30th December 2010, 7:02 PM
I've always thought it was Mink.

Chinchilla fur is used to make coats.

Grei
30th December 2010, 7:08 PM
I dont think theyll use blitz in Zeburaika's english name theyll come up with another electric based word, although whenever someone say blitz to me i always think fire

That's just you, then. I have never thought of fire when I saw the word Blitz. In fact, no element has ever come to mind when I think of Blitz.

You likely think fire when someone says Blitz because of Flare Blitz or something similar, but those two words aren't related normally.

Not at all.

I've always thought it was Mink.

Chinchilla fur is used to make coats.

It's classified as the Chinchilla Pokemon, and it's Japanese name, which we have been using all this time, sounds a lot like "Chinchilla." I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was a mink.

Sponge
30th December 2010, 7:36 PM
Minccino should be pronounced "Min-chee-no" just like Capuccino.
English isn't my native language and neither is Italian, but it seems to be pretty obvious, after all Chillaccino's original translation was Chillachino, so yeah.
Also, I don't think they'll change the evolution's name, Minccino->Chillaccino seems pretty fine to me.

Chillaccino can't be used as it's 11 characters.

They could always just make it Chilaccino though...

R_N
30th December 2010, 8:09 PM
Alternatively, they could go a route seemingly set up by "Min" and have Chilla replaced by a word for "large" or something.

HONCHINO

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 8:45 PM
I would prefer Chilaccino, although I don't expect Nintendo to go the obvious route.

lindsy95
30th December 2010, 9:23 PM
Who got the Idea it was a mink, anyway?

MetalFlygon08
30th December 2010, 9:29 PM
I think it came from some person who thought the 'min' in the name referred to mink, not mini.

Grei
30th December 2010, 9:41 PM
I think it came from some person who thought the 'min' in the name referred to mink, not mini.

But the thing is, Minccino--from the day it was first revealed--has never really been referred to as a mink. It's the "Chinchilla Pokemon" and its name should remind one of that.

Dr. Leggs
30th December 2010, 9:48 PM
Indeed, it's never been referred to as a mink while being specifically classified numerously as a chinchilla. It's min-chee-no.

Also, how else would you pronounce Pikachu? Pick-a-chew? Pike-a-chew?

Lorde
30th December 2010, 10:37 PM
Not that I have anything against the name Minccino, but I prefer the name Chillarmy. Minccino sounds like a decent English name for the chinchilla Pokemon, but Chillarmy just sounds cuter and when I hear it, I automatically picture the little gray rodent. I'm still getting used to Minccino, but it just reminds me of coffee at the moment haha. I'm also hoping that its evolved form retains its Japanese name in the English games, but the name does sound a bit too simple and the translators like to throw a few curve balls at us, so it will probably change.

nikohesus
30th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Not that I have anything against the name Minccino, but I prefer the name Chillarmy. Minccino sounds like a decent English name for the chinchilla Pokemon, but Chillarmy just sounds cuter and when I hear it, I automatically picture the little gray rodent. I'm also hoping that its evolved form retains its Japanese name in the English games, but the name does sound a bit too simple and the translators like to throw a few curve balls at us, so it will probably change.

In my opinion, in my opinion, Chillarmy sounds horrible as a name. I can understand the "Chilla" from Chinchilla but "army?" Where the heck does the "army" come from? Charmy? Is that even a real word? It just sounds way too awkward and stupid, in my opinion, and even looking at the name is awkward. Even saying it... doesn't remind me of Minccino.

Also, Chillaccino has too many letters to be the English name, perhaps if they took out one "l", but I would prefer if they surprised us.

Bardische
31st December 2010, 12:19 AM
My favorite parts of English translation arguments ^^

Well I do agree Chillarmy sounds like a horrible name, I think it's best we stop arguing about that because we got Minccino as the main problem right now.

Minccino makes it sound like an Italian Mafia Boss, aight? Or even the lackey. But the meshing together of "mini/mink" and "chinchilla" is a good thing.

Chillachino, sounds like a drag queen. Appearance-wise, name-wise.

Maybe:

Scarvapid (Scarf + Vapid)
- The reason why is that, Chillachino lost the simplicity of Minccino because of the scarf overkill. Like, everywhere on its body.
Exscarf (Excess + Scarf)
- In reference to the "sweet Arceus so much fur!".
Scarfret (Scarf + Fret)
- Because of their nature to clean stuff that is dirty, I chose fret. Though it makes it sound like a flying furry bird or something

Here are some other ideas, I guess

Hatooboo > Dovidge (dove + pigeon, continuing with the apparent humor that pokemon of America couldn't think of a better name)
Kenhoroo > Skyorus (Sky + Horus, the Egyptian God of the sky and protection)
Zeburaika > Zebrunder (Zebra + Thunder)
> Chargebrus (Charge + Zebra + Equus)
Dangoro > Stonimi (Stone + backwards mini)
Gantoru > Stoneode (Stone + Geode)

I'm quite bored :O

R_N
31st December 2010, 1:39 AM
In my opinion, in my opinion, Chillarmy sounds horrible as a name. I can understand the "Chilla" from Chinchilla but "army?" Where the heck does the "army" come from? Charmy? Is that even a real word? It just sounds way too awkward and stupid, in my opinion, and even looking at the name is awkward. Even saying it... doesn't remind me of Minccino.

Also, Chillaccino has too many letters to be the English name, perhaps if they took out one "l", but I would prefer if they surprised us.

It's not supposed to be "army" as in "Army"
Charm
Charmy

things like that

It does sound awkward, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed to avoid confusion.

nikohesus
31st December 2010, 2:01 AM
I understand it's not army as in a military term, and I knew it came from "charmy", I was just raging to prove a point.

Snivy902
31st December 2010, 2:46 AM
My Pokemon White team will be as follows
Enbouh
Pendoraa
Gamageroge
Abagoura
Shibirudon
Zekrom

Rose Storm
31st December 2010, 2:54 AM
Does anybody else keep checking the official site every hour or so for the European release? x_x I seriously can't wait anymore. I really want it to be near the NA release, so I don't have to import it and play it on my falling-apart DS Lite due to region locks.

nikohesus
31st December 2010, 2:55 AM
My Pokemon White team will be as follows
Enbuoh
Doryuuzu
Gamageroge
Abagoura
Shibirudon
Zekrom

Post that in the "what is/what will be your team" thread.

SasakiThePikachu
31st December 2010, 3:01 AM
Does anybody else keep checking the official site every hour or so for the European release? x_x I seriously can't wait anymore. I really want it to be near the NA release, so I don't have to import it and play it on my falling-apart DS Lite due to region locks.

*raises hand* hehe. Our release for HG and SS was only a WEEK after america, so I'm thinking we're pencilled in for march 13th, or thereabouts.

No, I didn't like Chillarmy either. I think it was the 'r' I had a problem with - 'Chill-ahh-mi' might have sounded cuter, but at 'arrr' is too agressive in the pronunciation of such a cute poke, and also brings to mind the Sea Captain...

Lorde
31st December 2010, 3:23 AM

I keep obsessively checking the official B/W site, but not for the European release date for the games. I keep checking the site in the hope that it'll update again before the new year. I'm hoping that we can get some more English names revealed; Koromori's English name and Minezumi's English name would be nice. I love Koromori and even though I dislike Minezumi, I'm eager to see what its English name will be. I'm still hoping for Psychomunk, personally, but it probably won't happen. I figure that Minezumi's English name will have some sort of reference to chipmunks or squirrels though.

Bardische
31st December 2010, 7:36 AM
I figure that Minezumi's English name will have some sort of reference to chipmunks or squirrels though.

Squirlmunk. Rabbid. Chipdale. If ever, and I'm already anticipating it, they've though up of a name meshing both squirrel and chipmunk.

"Is it a chipmunk? IS IT A SQUIRREL?!"
Random Employee: "Sir, it's a Squirlmunk!"
"Brilliant! Brilliant, Bob!"

Though more along the lines of something related to its eyes. Like "Optichuck", or "Visorrel", which sounds like eyedrops :D

Zhanton
31st December 2010, 7:45 AM
And once we know the European release date, then I can assume Australia's will be at roughly the same time and I will be happy :]
I'm guessing March 18th, for no reason. Yup.

wearjo
31st December 2010, 7:49 AM
Squirlmunk. Rabbid. Chipdale. If ever, and I'm already anticipating it, they've though up of a name meshing both squirrel and chipmunk.

"Is it a chipmunk? IS IT A SQUIRREL?!"
Random Employee: "Sir, it's a Squirlmunk!"
"Brilliant! Brilliant, Bob!"

Though more along the lines of something related to its eyes. Like "Optichuck", or "Visorrel", which sounds like eyedrops :D

it should be a squipmunk :D

Sponge
31st December 2010, 10:40 AM
Even though Mincchino is a Chinchilla pokemon, there could still be a "Mink" in reference to the "fur coat" it (although mostly it's evo) wears. Doesn't mean the pokemon itself has to be a Mink.

Mink is probably one of the best known types of fur coat? Which Chillaccino seems to wear. Ok so it's more like a scarf but the idea is similar.

Rowdy
31st December 2010, 1:46 PM
Ever since we got the official US release date for B and W as well as some new english names for the 5th gen, I've been thinking on evolution names. Here's what I've come up with thus far...

Sandile-Dunedile-Saharadile (or Saharagator or Saharator).

Snivy-Vineper-?

I'm not sure if these are likely, but they sound right (to me at least).

mickey
31st December 2010, 2:34 PM
Even though Mincchino is a Chinchilla pokemon, there could still be a "Mink" in reference to the "fur coat" it (although mostly it's evo) wears. Doesn't mean the pokemon itself has to be a Mink.

Mink is probably one of the best known types of fur coat? Which Chillaccino seems to wear. Ok so it's more like a scarf but the idea is similar.

I completely agree! :D It's what I tried to explain :)

Pikacu
31st December 2010, 4:10 PM
They did it so that every one would have something to complain about

nikohesus
31st December 2010, 4:22 PM
The Celebi Event is going to happen from Feb. 27th to March 7th and is going to occur in Gamestop stores.

redroses
31st December 2010, 4:25 PM

Chinchilla are/were often used for fur coats aswell. So it doesn't have to reference a mink for the fur "wearing" of it's evo.

SasakiThePikachu
31st December 2010, 4:44 PM
Ever since we got the official US release date for B and W as well as some new english names for the 5th gen, I've been thinking on evolution names. Here's what I've come up with thus far...

Snivy-Vineper-?

Congratulations - you just same up with not only the single most feasible name guess I have ever heard, but also a name guess which is probably superior to what GF will come up with...if unless by some miracle that is what those pokemon end up being called.

But seriously, great names!

LexSuicune
31st December 2010, 4:54 PM

Snivy-Vineper-?

Oh, I really like your Sandile line names, they're quite good and basic like Sandile itself's.

Although I'm thinking they're gonna play around Warubiaru's intimidating appearance in its name.

mayaman2
31st December 2010, 5:54 PM
Sandile line's names are good. I hope those are real.

aggronFTW
31st December 2010, 6:26 PM
Oh, I really like your Sandile line names, they're quite good and basic like Sandile itself's.

Although I'm thinking they're gonna play around Warubiaru's intimidating appearance in its name.

Or maybe something about it's kick-*** shades? Either way, it won't be as good as dunedile and saharadile, I fell in love with those as soon as I read them

Oh and vineper hasn't really had any recognition, I really like that one too, although they'll probably play on it's ties to royalty.

Wallaroo42
31st December 2010, 9:44 PM
lol, glad I'm not the only one who thought of mink XD

I kinda want sandile's final evo to have "war" in it's name somewhere though... warubiaru always made me think that and it fit

tmega90
31st December 2010, 10:11 PM

Snivy-Vineper-?

Those are really cool names! Nice ideas. Very creative using Sahara!

nikohesus
31st December 2010, 10:16 PM
Sahara seems out of place to me, but dunedile is awesome.
Seriously, they need to use dune in there somewhere, or I'm gonna' kick someone.

Lorde
31st December 2010, 10:25 PM

I love the idea of Sandile's evolved form being called Dunedile in the English games! That name just has a nice ring to it and it follows the desert-trend nicely. Saharadile sounds fine for Sandile's final form, but I think it could be better.

Anyway, the Celebi event will be distributed before Black and White are released. That makes me super excited since it'll put me one step closer to getting my very own Zorua in Black version. I'm sort of wondering if using the Zorua that you get in Hiun City is the best option, or if I should wait for the Zoroark once I arrive at Raimon City and that Lost Forest place.

Zhanton
1st January 2011, 8:02 AM

Snivy-Vineper-?
I like Dunedile and Saharadile is alright, but Vineper sounds a bit awkward and I can imagine a lot of people pronouncing it "vin-i-per" instead of "vine-per" as in a vine that people swing on. But yeah.

wearjo
1st January 2011, 8:25 AM
I like Dunedile and Saharadile is alright, but Vineper sounds a bit awkward and I can imagine a lot of people pronouncing it "vin-i-per" instead of "vine-per" as in a vine that people swing on. But yeah.

i like saharadile :D i thought of desertadile lol but then it hit me :D Savanahdile ;)

Zhanton
1st January 2011, 8:28 AM
Krocodune, possibly, for Waruvial [the middle stage]?

wearjo
1st January 2011, 8:31 AM
hmmm... i think for the snivy line it should be Snivy -> Janovy -> Splitjivy/Pythovy/Elapivy so on... these are named after different types of snakes... Splitjivy is the Splitjaw snake while Pythovy is the Python snake and then Elapivy is the Elapid snake...

wearjo
1st January 2011, 8:32 AM
hmmm... i think for the snivy line it should be Snivy -> Janovy -> Splitjivy/Pythovy/Elapivy so on... these are named after different types of snakes... Splitjivy is the Splitjaw snake while Pythovy is the Python snake and then Elapivy is the Elapid snake...

[aka]
1st January 2011, 8:34 AM
Dunedile and Saharadile are very cool. Personally I think their names will have more to do with their Dark type, but we'll see.

League
1st January 2011, 8:41 AM
Instead of going with the names of snakes, you can go with general snake terms. Hissivy and Coilord are names I push on Bulbagarden.

It leaves alot more to speculate on as well, so ya.

Zhanton
1st January 2011, 11:08 AM
Splitjivy is the Splitjaw snake while Pythovy is the Python snake and then Elapivy is the Elapid snake...
Splitjivy looks quite awkward, sounds awkward and sort of sounds like a type of dance :P

[aka]
1st January 2011, 11:27 AM
Instead of going with the names of snakes, you can go with general snake terms. Hissivy and Coilord are names I push on Bulbagarden.

It leaves alot more to speculate on as well, so ya.
Hissivy doesn't sound very good to me, but I love Coilord. Probably the best name for Jalorda I've heard yet.

LexSuicune
1st January 2011, 4:43 PM
Coilord sounds really good <3.

nikohesus
1st January 2011, 4:48 PM
Dunedile and Coilord are really my only two favorite fannames for Pokemon.
Please, Game Freak, use at least one term from these two...

SharpedoSteve
1st January 2011, 9:44 PM
I'm still hoping my fan name for Meguroco gets used, got to be for one of it's evo's now, Croconile (Croco + nile, obviously the river nile)

Bad but slightly final evo name, Darkroco/Darcroco.

Sponge
2nd January 2011, 12:26 AM
I had an idea for one of Sandile's evos (maybe the final form?)

Playing off the vile and villainous look of it:

Villandile (Vil-lan-dile)

A corruption of Villain + dile from crocodile

Another name idea:

Vilendile (Vile-n-dile)

A corruption of Villain incorporating "Vile" into it + dile from crocodile.

nikohesus
2nd January 2011, 1:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they used "Dunevile"

Dune+Evil+Vile+Crocodile

wearjo
2nd January 2011, 1:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they used "Dunevile"

Dune+Evil+Vile+Crocodile

hmmm... i like this one... as in Dune-e-vile???

Darkhalo-s
2nd January 2011, 1:36 AM
i agree with nikohesus.
and i would hope it was pronounced like wearjo said.

wearjo
2nd January 2011, 1:54 AM
i agree with nikohesus.
and i would hope it was pronounced like wearjo said.

YAY!!! SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!! lol :D

nikohesus
2nd January 2011, 1:57 AM
Dune-e-vile?
Like the E in there isn't silent?
Actually, that makes it sound interesting...

wearjo
2nd January 2011, 2:32 AM
exactly... it sounds so much better dont ya think???

nikohesus
2nd January 2011, 4:25 AM
We could make it Doonevile, pronounced the same.
Doom+dune+evil+vile+crocodile

Rose Storm
2nd January 2011, 4:53 AM
Which reminds me of the pun in Houndoom's name. Crocodoom, anyone?

nikohesus
2nd January 2011, 5:14 AM
Seems too generic, although I won't be surprised if they used it.

Rose Storm
2nd January 2011, 5:20 AM
Me neither. I'm glad I don't work at GF; I'm absolutely terrible at names. Anyone got ideas for Sazandora? I think it might stay as Sazandra or something, but you never know. They better not go and call it Giopolu or something stupid like that, though. (no puns in that name... it's the first stupid work I could think of)

BCVM22
2nd January 2011, 5:20 AM
Which reminds me of the pun in Houndoom's name. Crocodoom, anyone?

Keep in mind that the "-doom" in Houndoom comes not specifically from its Dark-type, but from the critter's basis in the supernatural (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellhound). The Sandile line has no such origins - they're just crocodilian reptiles, marked and posed to look like criminals.

They better not go and call it Giopolu or something stupid like that, though. (no puns in that name... it's the first stupid work I could think of)

No, they're not going to just assign a random grouping of letters as a name.