PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

rocky505
16th January 2011, 6:43 AM
Throh and Sawk are awful names. I am not suprised that Emboar's name didn't change.

Grei
16th January 2011, 7:24 AM
Oh wow, I just realized this (and am probably not the first to realize this), but...

There's a Foongus (fungus) Amoonguss (among us)! :0

I'm not sure if that's a clever play on words or just a really weird coincidence.

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th January 2011, 7:28 AM
Oh wow, I just realized this (and am probably not the first to realize this), but...

There's a Foongus (fungus) Amoonguss (among us)! :0

I'm not sure if that's a clever play on words or just a really weird coincidence.

Come now, there's no way that's not exactly what they meant.

The whole gimmck of the line is that they can be mistaken for Pokeballs - but really, there's a Fungus Among Us. :p

EDIT: Sawk and Throh are awesome names. Thank goodness they didn't come out in forth gen (when Sugimori created Throh) or else we'd have Karedtee and Judosockem.

Grei
16th January 2011, 7:31 AM
Come now, there's no way that's not exactly what they meant.

The whole gimmck of the line is that they can be mistaken for Pokeballs - but really, there's a Fungus Among Us. :p

Well, I was skeptical mostly because when I first read the name on Pokejungle, a name dissection was posted next to it and it named off some sort of fungus that explained the "Amoon-" part of it.

I just never really thought about it until seeing the line in Jigglychu's signature. :P

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th January 2011, 7:56 AM
534 Conkeldurr Roopushin – Concrete + durr
540 Sewaddle Kurumiru – Serotinella (classification of caterpillar that uses leaves) + Swaddle
559 Scraggy Zuruggu – “Scraggy” can mean a thin person (negative)
573 Cinccino Chirachiino – Sincere + Chincilla
583 Vanillish Baniricchi – Vanilla-ish
594 Alomomola Mamanbou – Mola Mola
609 Chandelure Shanderaa - Chandelier + Luminescence
624 Pawniard Komatana – Pwn + Rapier
636 Larvesta Meraruba – Larva + Infestation
640 Virizion Birijion – Verdan + Vivid

Oh...PJ....

Other things I noticed:

Dewott - Duo, as in the two shells.
Axew - Axe + hew
Fraxure - Axe + Fracture
Haxorus - Hack + Axe + saurus
Zebstrika is much easier to say if you say it like Australians (and maybe English people too) - Zebstrika instead of Zeebstrika.
Ducklett - I've seen people complaining about the name ('It's not a duck!! It's a Cygnet!! GF suk') What they're forgetting is that the Ugly Duckling didn't know it was a swan until it grew up - it thought it was an ugly duck. And Koaruhie is basically baby/child + a corruption of the Japanese word for duck. So yeah.

Grei
16th January 2011, 8:07 AM
Oh...PJ....

Other things I noticed:

Axew - Axe + hew
Fraxure - Axe + Fracture
Zebstrika is much easier to say if you say it like Australians (and maybe English people too) - Zebstrika instead of Zeebstrika.

:\

I probably should have looked closer at that list. Some of those are a little ridiculous. (Where did he get the basis behind Sewaddle...? O.o; )

MetalFlygon08
16th January 2011, 8:19 AM
Sawk and Throh are Sock and Throw respectivly, ala a punch and a toss.

Seraphen
16th January 2011, 8:21 AM
So, Pignite actually found its place.

Initially I thought the names are a total disappointment. But after knowing all the origins, they seem cool. Nonetheless, Sandile, Scraggy and Golurk line still disappoints me.

Although 'nanny' nods to Hahakomori's motherly behaviour, 'Leavanny' really makes it look a bit sillier, after its freaky smile. Maybe thats just me?

Isn't this a first for a starter evo (i.e. Emboar) to retain its original name? I guess they also didn't care about the 'getting hotter' naming scheme. TBH, going only by names, Emboar seems the weakest fire starter
evo IMO.

Still trying to figure out: Patrat (Minezumi isn't a rat?), Accelgor, Stunfisk and Druddigon.

One thing about Samurott, are sea-lions and otters precisely the same species?

What's your opinion on the names of the monkey trio evolutions?

BTW, Palpitoad=Pwnage. :D

Edit: @ S_M So, I guess there's a double pun on Dewott? The name sounds much better now, thanks.

MetalFlygon08
16th January 2011, 8:36 AM
embers are actually the hottest part of most fires, hencewhy you use embers in Dutch Oven Cooking.

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th January 2011, 8:37 AM
Isn't this a first for a starter evo (i.e. Emboar) to retain its original name?

Actually, Chikorita, Bayleaf and Meganium all retain their Japanese names.

Druddigon.

Dragon with a corruption of the word ruddy inserted in it is the best explanation can come up with.

R_N
16th January 2011, 9:37 AM
Actually, Chikorita, Bayleaf and Meganium all retain their Japanese names.

Dragon with a corruption of the word ruddy inserted in it is the best explanation can come up with.

Oh well of course they call Crimgan ruddy

OF COURSE

BW202
16th January 2011, 9:54 AM
I seriously might cry if these aren't real. (Ok, a little dramatic) But really, I think these are (almost) all great names. If people would be more open-minded about the odd looking ones and not be so quick to criticize, then they would see the great meanings behind them. Elgeeym, Beheeyem, Sawsbuck and Amoonguss just to name a few. Looking back at the Gen. 1 names, I see how unoriginal they were compared to the newer generations. Can't wait for March 6th!

Zhanton
16th January 2011, 10:10 AM
Still trying to figure out: Patrat (Minezumi isn't a rat?)
Patrol + rat, perhaps? Sure, Minezumi isn't a rat, but Pidgey isn't a pidgeon :P

Exeggator
16th January 2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't this a first for a starter evo (i.e. Emboar) to retain its original name?

I'm pretty sure that Enbuoo (エンブオー) cannot be romanized as Emboar, which should be Enboa (エンボア) or Enboaa (エンボアー) instead, so some sites using Emboar is similar to Hahakurimo/Sazando/Reperasudu/Meloia "incident".

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th January 2011, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that Enbuoo (エンブオー) cannot be romanized as Emboar, which should be Enboa (エンボア) or Enboaa (エンボアー) instead, so some sites using Emboar is similar to Hahakurimo/Sazando/Reperasudu/Meloia "incident".

The official romanization is Enbuoh. Not that it means much since Moguryuu was Mogurew and Banipucchi was Vanipetti.

You can very easily romanize Enbuoo as Emboar though.

Before a 'b' sound 'n' becomes 'm'. The u in 'bu' is reduced, the like 'u' in Tsutarja. And long 'o' sounds can become 'oh' or 'or' sounds, which could theoretically leave us with Embor, not much of a stretch to get to Emboar from there, especially given it's appearance.

*Note that some people pronounce the word boar like 'bore' and not 'bo-ar'. Like some people say He-a and heer for hair.
For another example, Zebstrika's Japanese name is Zebraika. I'm sure many people were pronouncing it Ziibraika, but the Japanese characters have a short vowel sound after the 'Z', like in the name Sebastian (which is, I'm convinced, how the English name should be pronounced since it is about 10X easier to say it that way).

CaptainCombusken
16th January 2011, 11:45 AM
Personally I'm English so it never occurred to me at all to say "Zeebstrika". It's always the way you would say "Sebastian" (as you pointed out, Sab_Mas). Zebstrika
I really like American people, but I hate the American Language. So much...

Oh...PJ....
I know, it's so sad... mind you, it must be difficult and boring going through the whole list trying to explain things.

Still trying to figure out: Patrat (Minezumi isn't a rat?), Accelgor, Stunfisk and Druddigon.

What's your opinion on the names of the monkey trio evolutions?
Patrol+rat as someone said... and again, as that same person said, look at Pidgey.
Accelgor is probably Accelerate+Gore... Probably.
Stunfisk is most likely Stun (electrify)+Fish+Disk (It IS flat and vaguely circular after all)
Druddigon, as explained, is Ruddy +Dragon.

And I think that the monkeys are a little boring but I really like Simisear and Simisage. The Pans are also not too bad. Simipour not so much.

BCVM22
16th January 2011, 11:55 AM
In looking at Conkeldurr, there's a few different things going on there.

Conk- from both "concrete" and "conk", as in "to conk someone over the head"; the whole line is holding pieces of construction material, ostensibly for the purposes of beating on opponents with them.

-eldurr from "elder", as the Pokémon is the third in its line and thus the eldest, and has a forehead wrinkle and a little grey goatee to go with that image of age.

Zhanton
16th January 2011, 11:59 AM
-eldurr from "elder"
When I read PJ's explanation for Conkeldurr I cracked up (Concrete + durr). Hahaha.

Cinccino - do you think it will be pronounced sin-chi-no or chin-chi-no? I'm leaning towards the latter...

BCVM22
16th January 2011, 12:06 PM
I would think that because both of the critters in the line are chinchillas, the name would be chin-chee-no, yes.

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 3:14 PM
So, Xtransceiver. That's an awsome name, much better than Live Caster.
Minccino and Cinccino, both sound so cute. They sound a bit Italian, don't they?

SasakiThePikachu
16th January 2011, 3:18 PM
My favourite are the names where there are two puns regarding two words coming together in the name...and then, a few days later, you say the name aloud and are suddenly like 'Oh...there's another pun!'

Like Unfezant. Sure it's unfazed and pheasant. But it's also unpleasant! Woop!

And Serperior (which I hated at first and now love). It sounds like just serpent and the second half of superior, which would be unoriginal, because they already did it with Rhyperior. But this one makes more sense...because the entire name is a play-on of 'superior'. Say it fast without stressing the 'er sound' and see what i mean. Awesome, ne?

Patrat is patrol and rat, but it also sounds like 'packrat'.

And Hydreigon - I've lost count of the puns in that one! :D I gotta admit though, even though it's an awesome name, if you pronounce it correctly (the german bit) it is a bit awkward. It's far simpler to say hi-druh-gun than it is to say hi-dry-gun. Maybe it's meant to have emphasis on the second syllable? So huh-dry-gun. But then it doesn't sound so much like 'hy-dra'. Help!

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 3:29 PM
And Hydreigon - I've lost count of the puns in that one! :D I gotta admit though, even though it's an awesome name, if you pronounce it correctly (the german bit) it is a bit awkward. It's far simpler to say hi-druh-gun than it is to say hi-dry-gun. Maybe it's meant to have emphasis on the second syllable? So huh-dry-gun. But then it doesn't sound so much like 'hy-dra'. Help!

I think it's Hi(as saying hi to someone)/High-dry/if you know German you can just say Drei-gon(as from dragon). So to make it shorter: Hi-drei-gon, High-dry-gon.
I prononounce it with the emphasis on the High/Hi.

SasakiThePikachu
16th January 2011, 3:43 PM
I think it's Hi(as saying hi to someone)/High-dry/if you know German you can just say Drei-gon(as from dragon). So to make it shorter: Hi-drei-gon, High-dry-gon

Right. I'm just going to stress the first two syllables and barely pronounce the third. So: Hi!-Dry!-gn.

My problem was that I was trying to stress all three syllables; no wonder it sounded wierd, lol :D

So has anyone figured out the logic behind Pawniard and Bisharp? I cannot see what the heck they have to do with chess pieces, talk about random...

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 3:55 PM
So has anyone figured out the logic behind Pawniard and Bisharp? I cannot see what the heck they have to do with chess pieces, talk about random...

Their dex entries: Pawniard are the foot soldiers, the pawns. And Bisharp is the commander, the Bishop.

White:
Pawniard: It fights at Bisharp’s command. It clings to its prey and ebbs away at it with its blades.
Bisharp: It hunts prey as a swarm, accompanied by large numbers of Pawniard. Bisharp lands the finishing blow.

Black:
Bisharp: It leads a group of Pawniard. They fight chaotically for the role of boss. Losers are expelled from the group.

Sponge
16th January 2011, 3:56 PM
I thought Hydreigon would be pronounced: Hi-dray-gon?

I don't really get how you can find Concrete in Conkeldurr.....it doesn't exactly fit in conclusively does it? What's the kel part about? The name makes me think of Conkers....but he's not holding conkers. :S

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 4:01 PM
I don't really get how you can find Concrete in Conkeldurr.....it doesn't exactly fit in conclusively does it? What's the kel part about? The name makes me think of Conkers....but he's not holding conkers. :S

The "conk" comes from concrete, it's holding two pillars made out of it. The "eldurr" comes from "elder", being the last on of the line.(BCVM22 actually explained it a few posts earlier(and on this very page)). So it's basically an elder holding concrete.

Xain
16th January 2011, 4:12 PM
is it me, or are some of these names hard to pronounce? I don't remember having this problem in previous generations.

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 4:19 PM
is it me, or are some of these names hard to pronounce? I don't remember having this problem in previous generations.

Really? I don't have trouble with any one. Which ones do you have trouble with. Begin last gen I didn't knew how to pronounce Buizel and Lopunny and some others.

Aurath8
16th January 2011, 4:41 PM
I think it's Hi(as saying hi to someone)/High-dry/if you know German you can just say Drei-gon(as from dragon). So to make it shorter: Hi-drei-gon, High-dry-gon.
I prononounce it with the emphasis on the High/Hi.

Sounds like Hydrogen. The gas is lighter than air though and Sazandora's ability is Levitate, it could work. so Hydra + drei(German for 'three') + dragon + high + hydrogen. How punny of them to include so many puns.

Chill92
16th January 2011, 4:54 PM
The Pawn word from Pawniard can also be a synonym with the word Minion which fits the dark type. Usually minions are followers of an "evil" person. They don't think for themselves and are numerous and disposable.

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 4:56 PM
Sounds like Hydrogen. The gas is lighter than air though and Sazandora's ability is Levitate, it could work.

Ok, learned something today^_^.

so Hydra + drei(German for 'three') + dragon + high + hydrogen. How punny of them to include so many puns.

That's really NoA's style, include as many puns as possible in a name, both obvious as not obvous. So that you can always be surprised by the names.

matt0044
16th January 2011, 5:00 PM
So, Xtransceiver. That's an awsome name, much better than Live Caster.

Live Caster's a cool name too, through.

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 5:08 PM
Live Caster's a cool name too, through.

Yeah true, but it actually sounds so...well...simple. Cross receiver actually sounds a bit more awesome. And it also says what it does, the X is probably from that maximum 4 people can talk with it's others, or something similair to that.

Padfootismine
16th January 2011, 7:06 PM
I thought Hydreigon would be pronounced: Hi-dray-gon?

It would be pronounced Hi-dry-gon because drei is German for three, and is pronouced Dry. ;)

I guess from the Con part?

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 7:15 PM

Actually the whole "Conk" from concrete.

Conk- from both "concrete" and "conk", as in "to conk someone over the head"; the whole line is holding pieces of construction material, ostensibly for the purposes of beating on opponents with them.

-eldurr from "elder", as the Pokémon is the third in its line and thus the eldest, and has a forehead wrinkle and a little grey goatee to go with that image of age.

The "conk" comes from concrete, it's holding two pillars made out of it. The "eldurr" comes from "elder", being the last on of the line.(BCVM22 actually explained it a few posts earlier(and on this very page)). So it's basically an elder holding concrete

chinqs96
16th January 2011, 7:22 PM
i find desukan's english name really hard to pronounce, but i do like the newly released names

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 7:28 PM
i find desukan's english name really hard to pronounce, but i do like the newly released names

I think it's ponounced as Cough-a-gri-gus.

Yeah, it's nice to know all names already, there is ofcourse the posibility that some names could change ,the same happened in gen 1, then like a month before the releas Ny changed to Koffing and La changed towards Weezing. But I don't really see the names changing upon coming toward the release, most sound actuelly nice.

R_N
16th January 2011, 7:36 PM
Well there's still another two months left, so there's always a possibility of last minute changes. Especially when it's just text.

SasakiThePikachu
16th January 2011, 7:38 PM
It would be pronounced Hi-dry-gon because drei is German for three, and is pronouced Dry. ;)

It's two pre-evolved forms include the joke too :D german language ftw!

Yeah, I'm finding this gen's set particuarly hard to pronounce...it isn't just looking at the names and not being sure how to pronounce them...it's also when you know how to pronounce them, and they just sound akward in your mouth >__> I mean, the two syllables of 'Desukan' changed to 'cough-a-gree-gus?' Thanks for simplifying that for us, Ninty.

Umbreon9
16th January 2011, 8:03 PM
These names are weird, but some of them are fun to say. Like, for example...
Whimsicott! (Did I spell that right...?)
Whimsicott is one of my favorite Pokemon ever! Not only does its sprite look like it's saying "OMG!", its name is awesome!

Rikudo Sennin
16th January 2011, 8:07 PM
I have to admit my first reaction to these was that they were definitely fake since at first glance most of them seemed so...awkward - not to mention Pignite was there, what a coincidence.
Now that I took the time to go through them all I have to admit they all do seem very well though-out for them to be fakes; a lot of them fit the pokemon well and are adequate translations, preserving both the original japanese meaning in an english way.

Now there's some really awesome names here like:
Mijumaru's and Monozu's lineup in general
CHANDELURE
Axew ->Haxorus (I love this one)

But I also have to say a few of them are somewhat disappointing.

Throh and sawk?
Pidove's evolutions?
Swoobat? (no shame there)

These will take some warming up, as expected, but overall i think they are fine.
Could have been much worse xDD

ryodragonite
16th January 2011, 8:31 PM
Well there's still another two months left, so there's always a possibility of last minute changes. Especially when it's just text.

Are they really allowed to do that?

The only name I really dislike is Axew. Kibago fit more because it pretty much meant fang. And plus since its one of the main pokemon it would keep its name like Pika did.

R_N
16th January 2011, 8:35 PM
Are they really allowed to do that?

The only name I really dislike is Axew. Kibago fit more because it pretty much meant fang. And plus since its one of the main pokemon it would keep its name like Pika did.

Yes? Why wouldn't they? Like they presumably wouldn't change already announced names. But the localization process is probably still going on, draft checkings, seeing what may or may not work etc.

ryodragonite
16th January 2011, 8:45 PM
Yes? Why wouldn't they? Like they presumably wouldn't change already announced names. But the localization process is probably still going on, draft checkings, seeing what may or may not work etc.

But in two months I dont think they have enough time time to change it. With all of the other translations and stuff going on.

It just doesnt seem like a big enough deal.

R_N
16th January 2011, 8:54 PM
But in two months I dont think they have enough time time to change it. With all of the other translations and stuff going on.

It's a line of text
Not even a line of text

And it's a whole team of people going at this. And who knows how old/recent the leaked list is

Don't forget the Icicle badge, either

Basically, I'm saying that it's possible (and 2 months would probably be enough time to make a minor change with ease), even if it isn't exactly likely.

Dracoste
16th January 2011, 9:07 PM

Well, they did it in the first gen (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Green_beta) so why shouldn't they do it now, I'm not saying hey should, but they have the option.

Rikudo Sennin
16th January 2011, 9:15 PM
People these things aren't decided a month before the game starts to be mass developed, this is something that is decided early on. You have to keep in mind it's not just "a line of text", the pokemon names encompass everything from Trading cards, promotional toys and most importantly the anime dub itself, which the dubbing company is most definitely working on already.
These all take a lot of time to produce, and aren't subject to some whim of the people to change, if the game is coming out in less than 2 months than you bet there is a lot of merchandise already in the works.
I doubt a multimillion dollar company like NoA is going to release names to "testdrive" them with the fans, and then change them due to public demand, it just doesn't happen.
if I had to guess these names - if they are indeed the official list - have been done several months prior to the announce of the first batch.
These wouldn't be just minor changes, it affects the whole franchise in general.

BCVM22
16th January 2011, 9:35 PM
I don't think anyone here is unaware of that nor was anyone implying that this list was some sort of intentional "test leak" to gauge reaction. The point was made: this list, if it is real, could have been drafted by NoA in November.

ryodragonite
16th January 2011, 9:49 PM
Well, they did it in the first gen (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Green_beta) so why shouldn't they do it now, I'm not saying hey should, but they have the option.

Ok first I was going to say that it didnt say that they changed in in a few months, then I read on. It said that they made a change right before the game was released in Japan so now I guess I agree that they can be changed but Im not saying they will unless people go on a rampage.

It's a line of text
Not even a line of text

And it's a whole team of people going at this. And who knows how old/recent the leaked list is

Don't forget the Icicle badge, either

Basically, I'm saying that it's possible (and 2 months would probably be enough time to make a minor change with ease), even if it isn't exactly likely.

Really? What did they do with the Icicle badge?

I wonder what their going to name zuruggu?

Slowemperor
16th January 2011, 9:50 PM
I was thinking if this list turns out to be real, in the next gen, every time a fake list of english names before release is "leaked" (it will happen) there will be someone saying "Remember that list back with Black and White in 2011?". This is might even become a pro-unconfirmed-leak argument for other things. But this woulds not be the first time such thing happens would it (looks at the starters evos who were "proved" to be fake, and I actually thought they were).

Sabonea_Masukippa
16th January 2011, 9:51 PM
I wonder what their going to name zuruggu?

I'm going to put money on it being Scraggy.

I Divided By Zero
16th January 2011, 9:56 PM
I actually kind of like some of these names. If these are real, then one thing makes me wonder...If it's a bull with an afro, why the ferrk does it need such a serious name? And nothing to do with the afro? Not like Afrull, or Buffro, or Affulo, or even Buffrisco? See, I just came up with those.

ryodragonite
16th January 2011, 9:59 PM
I actually kind of like some of these names. If these are real, then one thing makes me wonder...If it's a bull with an afro, why the ferrk does it need such a serious name? And nothing to do with the afro? Not like Afrull, or Buffro, or Affulo, or even Buffrisco? See, I just came up with those.

Because of the racial stereotypes they need to be careful.

I'm going to put money on it being Scraggy.

Or gangstar...no...ok.

BCVM22
16th January 2011, 10:00 PM

It's buffalo + bouffant, a word meaning "puffed out", often in relation to hair. Works just fine.

And yes, we can tell you just came up with those.

I Divided By Zero
16th January 2011, 10:03 PM
Because of the racial stereotypes they need to be careful.

What do you mean, racial stereotypes? If it has a giant afro, why can't they name it after its' giant afro? That's like making a Pokemon with 50 wings and naming after it's feet for no reason.

BCVM22
16th January 2011, 10:05 PM
What you're missing is that the name does reference the afro, if not by name.

And no, your analogy is nothing like giving a dark-colored Pokémon a giant afro and simply not putting the word "afro" in the name.

Ariaces
16th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Just thinking here, is Herdier based off a country name? Like Lillipup and Lilliput?

Sponge
16th January 2011, 11:22 PM
Just thinking here, is Herdier based off a country name? Like Lillipup and Lilliput?

I think it's supposed to be a mix of "Herder" and "Terrier"

Grei
16th January 2011, 11:39 PM
Or gangstar...no...ok.

Or Scraggy, it's confirmed name. Maybe.

SasakiThePikachu
17th January 2011, 12:56 AM
What you're missing is that the name does reference the afro, if not by name.

And no, your analogy is nothing like giving a dark-colored Pokémon a giant afro and simply not putting the word "afro" in the name.

No, it doesn't reference the afro, it references the hair.

By calling it something it isn't.

Bouffant = Afro does not compute. They are not the same hairstyle. They are both puffy, sure, but that's like saying a bob and a crew cut are similar because they're both short.

It wouldn't have been any more offensive to reference an afro 'do than it is to reference a bouffant 'do, fuhgodsake. I think they just got carried away trying to make everything politically correct from now on, all because some muppet had to go and say that Aloe's apron was racist.

...or maybe just because it's easier to make a pun out of bouffant/buffalo, ne?

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 1:13 AM
"Puffed out" or "full" is an accepted definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bouffant) of bouffant, and what is a giant afro if not puffed out and full? The fact that the word also has a definition pertaining to a hairstyle doesn't hurt, even if the connotation is usually with female hairstyles. And given that the Pokémon's defining feature is the giant afro, I don't get how you can claim they're somehow making reference to the hairstyle but not to the afro; the afro is the hairstyle, they're one and the same.

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 1:17 AM
No, it doesn't reference the afro, it references the hair.

That statement kills itself- the afro IS the hairstyle.

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th January 2011, 1:24 AM
...or maybe just because it's easier to make a pun out of bouffant/buffalo,

Yep. That's it. Buffafro is harder to say than Zebsrtrika with an American accent.

ne?

Oh allah, it's worse than nails on a black board...

Rentaline99
17th January 2011, 2:04 AM
I think Buffro would have been too easy for NoA tastes. Yeah, yeah, I know there are other "too easy" ones, but I think they wanted to do something a bit unpredictable.

Pokemon Trainer Blue
17th January 2011, 2:33 AM
I'm pretty disappointed by Zuruzukins line names. Sounds really meh.

XXD17
17th January 2011, 2:36 AM
Their dex entries: Pawniard are the foot soldiers, the pawns. And Bisharp is the commander, the Bishop.

White:
Pawniard: It fights at Bisharp’s command. It clings to its prey and ebbs away at it with its blades.
Bisharp: It hunts prey as a swarm, accompanied by large numbers of Pawniard. Bisharp lands the finishing blow.

Black:
Bisharp: It leads a group of Pawniard. They fight chaotically for the role of boss. Losers are expelled from the group.

However, only the bishop in chess would enact any sort of violence...a bishop isn't really a commander but rather a subleader of the church so on the part only pawniard makes sense

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 2:46 AM
The "Bi" could also refer to Bisect, meaning to cut something in half. So many puns...

I'm pretty disappointed by Zuruzukins line names. Sounds really meh.

I don't understand- what do you mean by "meh?"

R_N
17th January 2011, 2:53 AM
However, only the bishop in chess would enact any sort of violence...a bishop isn't really a commander but rather a subleader of the church so on the part only pawniard makes sense

A subleader is still a leader, and bishops do control subordinates of varying degrees depending on the kind of bishop.

It's enough to pun them, at least

LexSuicune
17th January 2011, 3:43 AM
Wow, I just noticed the Dokkoraa line ends up in 'Durr' is that supposed to be reminiscent of Pirates or something?.

I think it's Dokkoraa's line.

Zhanton
17th January 2011, 3:51 AM
Wow, I just noticed the Dokkoraa line ends up in 'Durr' is that supposed to be reminiscent of Pirates or something?.
Pirates?
Timburr and Girdurr are most likely corruptions of Timber and Girder, and as has been explained about ten million times in the past twenty four hours by many people, Conkeldurr in Concrete + Elder.

Rootbeer
17th January 2011, 3:54 AM
There are some pretty decent names in there: Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Galvantula and Pignite in particular.

Of course, there are also plenty more that are laughable: Krookodile, Crustle, Trubbish (trash and rubbish, really?), Swanna, Foongus, Eelectrik and Thundurus. Sawk is too funny to even complain about, though. I just keep thinking of the Chinpokomon episode of South Park with "Shoe!"

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 4:14 AM

Where did pirates come from? The "durr" part comes from builder and the stereotypical image of stupid construction workers.

halloweenghost
17th January 2011, 4:19 AM
There are some pretty decent names in there: Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Galvantula and Pignite in particular.

Of course, there are also plenty more that are laughable: Trubbish (trash and rubbish, really?), "

I beelvie it is trouble and rubbish

wearjo
17th January 2011, 4:49 AM

I think it's Hydra as in the greek mythology creature (the pronunciation) then Gon as in dragon

BW202
17th January 2011, 4:53 AM

Bishop still makes a good amount of sense. A bishop is a pretty high member of the Christian clergy, being only below the Pope. They are also each in charge of every church in a geographical area meaning there are quite a bit of people following them. A bishop may not be a fighting leader, but he is very much a leader.

Disgruntled Goat
17th January 2011, 4:56 AM
They're indirectly confirmed, this is why:

One: Someone's gonna have to confirm this for me since they were both up when I came on, but according to other people I asked, IGN had the leaked list of English names up, then the official site updated with names that matched what was on the list.
Two: if the list was fake, wouldn't the last three Pokemon also have names rather than question marks? What fake list leaves something off?
Three: from past observations, NoA has never taken legal action on a leaked list if it was fake... and the list was pulled down from IGN. This is also why Serebii hasn't updated his site with SEREBII CONFIRMED info. (Also, just an observation, but here's how he works: if it's fake: "it's fake." If it's real: "I can't say.")

Good enough for you?

I think someone already corrected #1. IGN never leaked anything, they just posted some names that were officially released.
2. Yep, probably. Then again, they must have decided on their names at the same time so they can be coded into the game. It's still not clear where the list came from.
3. As said the full list was never on IGN. And NoA has not taken as legal action whatsoever over this (yet). Serebii and Bulbapedia are not confirming the lists because they don't want to get in trouble.

Well...their fully names aren't in there, they aren't called Htmonbrucelee and hitmonjackiechan, are they. Which is the opposite of Uri Geller, his whole name is in a pokémon name(corrupted, but still). There are probably a lot of Lees and Chans, I've only saw one Uri Geller.

How many famous Martians arts stars do you know called Lee and Bruce? Those guys are obviously cool about it (assuming they know) and know it does them no harm.

Patrat is 'patrol rat' and also 'packrat' as the sub-pun. Yeah technically it's not a rat but it's the same rodent family.
Accelgor comes from 'accelerate' (because of its speed)

A poniard is a dagger. And 'bi' means two, it has two sharp blades. Others covered the chess connection. Maybe they're intending a Pokemon chess set! They can use rapidash for the knight, vespiquen for the queen, etc. (Probably already exists TBH.)

No. They would have finalised the names months ago (supposedly Serebii has known the names since November). I highly doubt anyone from NoA is reading through Pokemon forums gauging fan reaction.

EDIT: Also on Hydreigon, I count 4 or 5 puns:
1. Hydra (mythical creature)
2. Drei (3 in german)
3. Dragon (mythical creature)
4. Hydrogen (element, I believe quite flammable)
5. Someone mentioned 'high and dry'. Almost certainly unintentional but another bonus.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 4:58 AM
Oh My!

I really hope that list of Pokemon names for B&W that's on Pokebeach are incorrect. Many of those names are really horrible...

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 5:00 AM
I really hope that list of Pokemon names for B&W that's on Pokebeach are incorrect.

Possible, but unlikely.

Many of those names are really horrible...

Sigh.

OK, I'll bite. Which of the names do you find so terribly horrible?

Disgruntled Goat
17th January 2011, 5:15 AM
One more thing - anyone have a solid origin for 'Reuniclus'? I get 'reunion' but I don't buy 'homunculus' as the second part, doesn't fit right IMO.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 5:17 AM
OK, I'll bite. Which of the names do you find so terribly horrible?

Please do keep in my mind it is only me opinion but these are the names I 'really' dislike...

#508 - Stoutland (Sounds like the name of a country.)
Same reason PB said.

#512 - Simisage
#514 - Simisear
#516 - Simipour
I don't like how these sound at all, adding Simi wasn't really a good idea. Perhaps if these where there first forms name.

#531 - Audino
Doesn't fit Tabunne really, maybe I was expecting something more Chansier...?

#547 - Whimsicott
... :(

#553 - Krookodile (Sounds kinda lame.)
Very lame indeed.

I could add more but list is to long, many of the name when first looked at just look like Hhoiokosdfue at first site. Just a blend of random words. Maybe it's just reading them all together with out a image, I dunno. I just don't like many of them even after learning there meaning....

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 5:17 AM
One more thing - anyone have a solid origin for 'Reuniclus'? I get 'reunion' but I don't buy 'homunculus' as the second part, doesn't fit right IMO.

I would put money on it being some mixture of "reunite", "nucleus" and "homunculus".

I don't like how these sound at all, adding Simi wasn't really a good idea.

Adding -pan from chimpanzee isn't an issue, but they add simi- from simian and it's suddenly "not a good idea?"

#531 - Audino

The bugger has large ears, hence the "audio" reference.

#553 - Krookodile (Sounds kinda lame.)
Very lame indeed.

It's a Dark-type, it's marked and posed to look like a thief. Again, the problem is...?

many of the name when first looked at just look like Hhoiokosdfue at first site. Just a blend of random words.

See, that's just being overly hyperbolic. None of them are just a blend of random words.

Lorde
17th January 2011, 5:18 AM
Many of those names are really horrible...

I agree that some of the names are horrible; and here I thought the 5th Generation Pokemon couldn't get any worse. I mean, they aren't so bad, C_P. I actually think that the English names for Tamagetake and Morobareru are pretty funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, but still pretty clever. These new names actually remind me of some of the beta names for the Generation 1 Pokemon for some reason, hmm. Anyway, I'm not trying to force you to like the new names or anything since I'm not the kind of person who likes to force their opinions on others, but I think you should give them a chance (and yeah, I think that the list is real).

R_N
17th January 2011, 5:23 AM
Oh whimsicott is Erufuun?

This entire time I thought it was, like, one of the Oshawott families.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 5:24 AM
I agree that some of the names are horrible; and here I thought the 5th Generation Pokemon couldn't get any worse. I mean, they aren't so bad, C_P. I actually think that the English names for Tamagetake and Morobareru are pretty funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, but still pretty clever. These new names actually remind me of some of the beta names for the Generation 1 Pokemon for some reason, hmm. Anyway, I'm not trying to force you to like the new names or anything since I'm not the kind of person who likes to force their opinions on others, but I think you should give them a chance (and yeah, I think that the list is real).

I understand what you mean, and I'd like to be the good person here and be all "Oh I luv these new names good job NoA!", but I have to be honest they aren't really good or clever. When it comes to their meaning (or pronouncing them). I.e they sound like fan names, bad ones...

I can try and get used to them as I said before reading them all together so suddenly can be the problem too. I can be picky with things like this, maybe if I seen the list with the image of each Pokemon beside it I can understand them more?

Oh whimsicott is Erufuun?

This entire time I thought it was, like, one of the Oshawott families.

LOL, This reminds me of something else too I don't like how Samurott was placed, as PB said it sounds like a rotting Samurai. Maybe PB is feeding me these bad vibes. XP

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 5:27 AM
I have to be honest they aren't really good or clever. When it comes to their meaning (or pronouncing them).

No, you don't find them "really good or clever". Which is fine, but that's all it means. Despite the fact that by your own admission, you've skimmed over half of them because the words look too complicated and the ones you have noted, you claim you don't understand.

Exodd
17th January 2011, 5:27 AM
I think the name Stoutland fits the Pokemon pretty well. Both give the impression of a bravery and honor. Not really sure how to describe that better.
I thought Tabunne might be named something like Maybey, but the pun in Audino still fits.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 5:34 AM
No, you don't find them "really good or clever". Which is fine, but that's all it means. Despite the fact that by your own admission, you've skimmed over half of them because the words look too complicated and the ones you have noted, you claim you don't understand.

Yes I don't find them really good or clever, but my point still stands.

I don't like many of the names. I didn't skip many of them because they were complicated there's just so many I'd basically be copying the whole list.

As I said before even knowing the meanings don't help do any justice for me, Audino might be from Audio but it sounds off for it, it make it sounds liek Tabunne is some machine... XD

And adding Pan was okay yes, but Simi no, What I mean Simi sounds like Semi to me. It's the names that are bad but some don't fit the given Pokemon. My opinion anyway...

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 5:36 AM
Except that "simi-" comes from "simian", as in monkey. And the three Pokémon are indeed monkeys. Again, what is the problem?

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th January 2011, 5:38 AM
I.e they sound like fan names, bad ones...

With but a few exceptions all fan names are bad names.

Wotter. Smugleaf. Boarbeque. Shoalgun. Serplant. Flandle. Babburn. Psybat. Bateart. Chimpguard. Sarcophin. Tuskid. Boarcano. Cubicle. Pyroink. Trouzard. Vanilick. Seasoal.

Reading through most guesses was enough to give me a mild aneurysm.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 5:42 AM
Except that "simi-" comes from "simian", as in monkey. And the three Pokémon are indeed monkeys. Again, what is the problem?

I just explained my thoughts Simi looks like Semi (Semi meaning half way, not complete, etc), it's not really a problem really. I honestly think you're exaggerating this. I'm not saying it "ruined the game" or "the older Generation are better", I'm just saying I think the names aren't very good and I wish that list on PB was not official.

With but a few exceptions all fan names are bad names.

Wotter. Smugleaf. Boarbeque. Shoalgun. Serplant. Flandle. Babburn. Psybat. Bateart. Chimpguard.

Reading through most guesses was enough to give me a mild aneurysm.

Hehehe, Reading those names does give the new names some justice. xD

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 5:43 AM
I'm just pointing out that it seems like your reasoning on most of these complaints is tenuous, at best.

ToddCam
17th January 2011, 5:46 AM
How many famous Martians arts stars do you know called Lee and Bruce? Those guys are obviously cool about it (assuming they know) and know it does them no harm.

Martians arts? As in, arts from Mars?

XXD17
17th January 2011, 5:48 AM
Pirates?
Timburr and Girdurr are most likely corruptions of Timber and Girder, and as has been explained about ten million times in the past twenty four hours by many people, Conkeldurr in Concrete + Elder.

also the "urr" is exactly the sound of force exertion or strain someone would make when attempting to lift heavy objects like a huge wooden beam, an iron girder, or maybe cement blocks... :)

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 5:50 AM
I'm just pointing out that it seems like your reasoning on most of these complaints is tenuous, at best.

I'm just saying I dislike many of these names.
These are my opinions only though.

Exodd
17th January 2011, 5:57 AM
This might have been posted before, but are the names Riguree and Oobemu meant to mean something like Ligrey(little grey) and OoBEM (great bug-eyed monster)?

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 6:01 AM
That's the logical guess, yes. Bulbapedia has Riguree coming from "grey" and Oobemu from "orb" and BEM.

BW202
17th January 2011, 6:03 AM
This might have been posted before, but are the names Riguree and Oobemu meant to mean something like Ligrey(little grey) and OoBEM (great bug-eyed monster)?

Riguree's English name is Elgyem. Pronounced like you're saying LGM. LGM= Little Green Man

Oobemu's English name is Beheeyem. Pronounced like you are saying BEM. BEM=Bug Eyed Monster

It sounds like you haven't heard about the list of English names. They aren't confirmed, but are most likely real (I believe so at least). Go to pokebeach.com and scroll down a bit to see the list.

EDIT: BTW, yes, that is basically what Bulbapedia says about the Jap. name meanings.

Lorde
17th January 2011, 6:10 AM
I can be picky with things like this, maybe if I seen the list with the image of each Pokemon beside it I can understand them more?

I've actually been looking for a list of the English names with the Pokemon's image next to them. I figure that it would help me memorize the new English Pokemon names. I know of a list where the Pokemon are placed next to the names but those names are Japanese, so it doesn't really help since I only know about 50% of those Japanese names haha. Side note: I like how the list of new Pokemon names on PB has little comments next to some of the new names, i.e. Woobat (Rhymes with Zubat!), Cofagrigus (Bad word alert! Bad word alert!), and Sawsbuck (Starbucks.) :)

BW202
17th January 2011, 6:15 AM
I've actually been looking for a list of the English names with the Pokemon's image next to them. I figure that it would help me memorize the new English Pokemon names. I know of a list where the Pokemon are placed next to the names but those names are Japanese, so it doesn't really help since I only know about 50% of those Japanese names haha. Side note: I like how the list of new Pokemon names on PB has little comments next to some of the new names, i.e. Woobat (Rhymes with Zubat!), Cofagrigus (Bad word alert! Bad word alert!), and Sawsbuck (Starbucks.) :)

At pokemonblackandwhite.net there is a slideshow of exactly what you want on the right side of the main page.

EDIT: Site is currently down.

Another EDIT: On page 242 there is a member with a signature of the exact slideshow.

Crystal_Power
17th January 2011, 6:21 AM

I noticed no sites have updated the names, so I don't think I'll find one with the English names and Pokemon image on the same list soon, a list with the names and their sprites would be nice too. >.<

Hahaha, yea I liked seeing PB thoughts on some of the names too.
Though I partially blame PB for feeding me negative thoughts on the new names... :)

R_N
17th January 2011, 6:41 AM

I've thought about putting my photobucket full of sprites to good use and making a text file I can copy/paste pieces of for reference purposes but then that means there won't be any [Pokemon related]~SURPRISES~ left for when I actually play the game.

And then I go back and forth over "well there's still two months left" and will I really be able to avoid all the names come March 6th?

Porygandrew
17th January 2011, 6:54 AM

So why not just Lilgrey and Bigbem? 'Elgyem' and 'Beheeyem" seem needlessly complicated.

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 6:57 AM
Because they sound alien enough to make sense to people who don't get the joke and they elicit a reasonably solid chuckle from people who do.

I don't see how Elgyem and Beheeyem are "needlessly complicated"; they're phonetic pronunciations of acronyms. What's so complicated?

17th January 2011, 7:29 AM
So is the list official?

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 7:30 AM
It is not. And likely won't be, in the most incontrovertible sense, until right before the games/guides release or unless someone manages an advance copy of either.

Exodd
17th January 2011, 7:46 AM
Why go to pokebeach when the list of names is posted on this thread a few pages back with well-informed suggestions of meanings (and commented on across multiple pages with even more)?
Haven't looked up the origins for Riguree and Oobemu on Bulbapedia. Noticed they sounded like something more specific than their romanizations and decided to comment about that. Is discussing the Japanese names taboo already?

Lorde
17th January 2011, 8:13 AM
Haven't looked up the origins for Riguree and Oobemu on Bulbapedia. Noticed they sounded like something more specific than their romanizations and decided to comment about that. Is discussing the Japanese names taboo already?

Speaking of Riguree and Oobemu: I like the reference to the Little Green Men and Bug-Eyed Monsters in their English names. I still don't really care much for either Pokemon, but there's something charming about their English names. I forget if it's Riguree or Oobemu, but one of those alien-based Pokemon has a really painful cry in the games. Like, G/S/C Screech painful. I was playing White version with headphones the other day when I heard one of their cries, and my ears bled (not literally, but you get the picture).

Rikudo Sennin
17th January 2011, 8:21 AM
Why go to pokebeach when the list of names is posted on this thread a few pages back with well-informed suggestions of meanings (and commented on across multiple pages with even more)?

Because not everyone can recognize the japanese names without pictures of the pokemon, let alone some jibberish in punny english.

R_N
17th January 2011, 8:49 AM
I think the punny japanese would be more jibberish *cough*

But yes pictoral lists do make recognizing things easier. I still don't think I can match some of the Japanese names to their physical counterparts.

roy_vos
17th January 2011, 11:25 AM
if this list becomes official,

the worst/ugliest pokemons EVER get the worst name EVER....

#582 - Vanillite
#583 - Vanillish
#584 - Vanilluxe

sorry but this is my opinion...

wearjo
17th January 2011, 11:36 AM

#582 - Vanillite
#583 - Vanillish
#584 - Vanilluxe

sorry but this my opinion...

In my opinion they are so awesome :D Vanillite: Vanilla/ delight???
Vanillish: Vanilla/ delish???
Vanilluxe: Vanilla/ Deluxe???

And the shinies are awesome!!! Especially Vanillite's... Strawberry icecream pokemon lol :D

roy_vos
17th January 2011, 11:53 AM

And the shinies are awesome!!! Especially Vanillite's... Strawberry icecream pokemon lol :D

haha yes the names are funny but not.. real.. you know what i mean??

I hope that Sazandra keeps it name and not Hydreigon :S
or change it into Hydragon

Sabonea_Masukippa
17th January 2011, 11:59 AM
The best names for the best Pokemon of Gen 5 - Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe

And I'm gonna be putting my money on Hydreigon.

roy_vos
17th January 2011, 12:12 PM
the only thing we can do is wait and see.

i'll hope the final starters name keep the names :)
i love the names:

#497 - Serperior
#500 - Emboar
#503 - Samurott

Lorde
17th January 2011, 12:26 PM

#582 - Vanillite
#583 - Vanillish
#584 - Vanilluxe

sorry but this is my opinion...

IMO, it's kind of funny how some of the weirdest-looking Pokemon so far, have the coolest English names out of all the Generation 5 Pokemon. Now, I've never been much of a fan of those three Pokemon, but I really like their names (and not just because they make me hungry). I mean, not only do their English names retain the reference to vanilla-flavored ice cream, but they also contain a reference to different types of vanilla ice cream, like lite and deluxe (at least, Vanillite and Vanilluxe do). I think I might just capture a Vanillite in Hodomoe City and evolve it all the way to Vanilluxe. These Pokemon are just so delectable; I can't resist!

Shine
17th January 2011, 12:45 PM
I hope that Sazandra keeps it name and not Hydreigon :S
or change it into Hydragon

Hydra + Drei (German for three) + Dragon.

Hydreigon is perfectly fine~

wearjo
17th January 2011, 12:53 PM

i hope it's pronounced as hydra gon

roy_vos
17th January 2011, 12:54 PM

yes i know, my country ( The Netherlands ) is next to Germany, so i know what ''drei'' means.

but imo ist still a bad name. so thats why i hope they change it into Hyrdagon. or keep it just the way it is. Sazand(o)ra

Dracoste
17th January 2011, 2:44 PM
but imo ist still a bad name. so thats why i hope they change it into Hyrdagon. or keep it just the way it is. Sazand(o)ra

(I know it's your opinion but I just want to make something clear)
If they change it to Hydragon, it's just a simple mix between Hydra and Dragon, and I find that not very creative for a name. It's NoA's nature to put as many puns in a name, Hydreigon contains more puns than Hydragon, and it also says what it is. It's a hydra, and hydra's mostly have muttiple heads(the ones I saw at least), it has drei heads and drei is a perfect bridge to mix Hydra and dragon. And when the name is ponounced(good), it sounds like Hydrogen, which is lighter than air, probably refering it's ability Levitate, and like I said before, he can be high and dry.

It's both a simple and complex name, simple, cause everyone just can see it contains Hydra and Dragon. Complex, cause it contains "Drei"(I didn't even knew about the pun in Articuno, etc) and "Hydrogen" and I think most people doesn't know what "drei" means if they never heard German and most people also doesn't know what Hydrogen means if they haven't had it in school or something similair. And it's also a funny/clever name cause it contains the saying "High and dry".

Ortega
17th January 2011, 2:53 PM
I actually like the name better because it has f-g in the name. :P Not only is that completely awesome, I find it funny how Nintendo didn't think people would cry over something so small as that.
Actually, I find it funny that Nintendo was so bold to think that kids would be mature and ignore the fact that it's in the name. It's a clever portmanteau, but very few are going to figure it out and will instead proceed to abuse it mercilessly.

It's kind of pathetic that a lot of people are fooling themselves into thinking that everyone's going to figure out the portmanteau and be mature about the name. Sorry, but anyone defending the name and thinking that the second syllable isn't going to to be overemphasized by 90% of people is blinded by their own fanboy/girlism.

Where I work I have to be around LOTs of kids that play this game, and I know I'm not gonna hear the end of it when they discover this Pokemon's name. The thing that bothers me about it is that Nintendo gave kids a new way to annoy me as they entertain themselves with repetition of the name a thousand times. SERIOUSLY, NoA? You didn't, like... put the name on paper to a typical group of kids to see what they'd do with it?

The reason Cofagrigus's name is being discussed more than any other is all the proof anyone needs to see where people are gonna go with it.

Legendary Dreams
17th January 2011, 3:19 PM
Haxorus - That's one pokemon I won't be nicknaming already!

Braviary - I don't find it bad (In fact I think its neat), but its too close to Bravery for comfort... and I seriously find Wargle loads better.

ryodragonite
17th January 2011, 3:52 PM

Oh wow those names do make me feel happy inside.

No but really I do love Vanippetti and his so called english name makes me like him even more.

Eh I agree with you Roy Vos. Hydreigion or whatever comes of the tougue pretty hard. The first one sounds better.

Seraphen
17th January 2011, 4:23 PM
I fail to understand how Hydreigon is any more difficult to pronounce than Hydragon or Sazandra, for that matter.

On a different note, isn't Deino pronounced as 'Dino'? That may be another pun, since Deino does look a bit Dinosaur-esque. Sorry if I sounded obvious.

Thanks for pointing out the origins I didn't get. ^^

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 4:26 PM
Eh I agree with you Roy Vos. Hydreigion or whatever comes of the tougue pretty hard. The first one sounds better.

First figure out how to pronounce the number three in German.
You're done!

ryodragonite
17th January 2011, 4:41 PM
You're done!

I think your done my friend. For one I didnt pronounce it I wrote it. Two I wasnt even freakin trying to write it correctly. Notice the whatever right after it. Three IM NOT GERMAN. And I dont ever plan to be. Now lets get back to talking about pokemon shall we?

Does anyone else feel weird about the english translation of Yooterii? Lillipup?

Disgruntled Goat
17th January 2011, 5:29 PM
Martians arts? As in, arts from Mars?
lol damn iPhone auto correct... I think I must have typed martiam or something

I've actually been looking for a list of the English names with the Pokemon's image next to them. I figure that it would help me memorize the new English Pokemon names.
I already mentioned this earlier: http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white

If you want a list with images + English + Japanese names together, check the Pokemon section on reddit.com, someone posted a screenshot of legendarypokemon before they took the page down.

Rikudo Sennin
17th January 2011, 6:26 PM
Hydreigon is perfectly fine, it's clever and sounds awesome.
To those that are complaining that little kids won't understand the structure of the pun to be able to say it correctly, guess what? Most of the time they never do (unless it's blatantly obvious) and you DON'T HAVE TO.
I think it's great that so much thought goes into these names as opposed to getting a name like Hydragon, it's too simplistic and half-assed.
I remember when I played gen 3 before watching the anime I totally butchered a LOT of the names, and to this day, from habit, I still say their names a little weird.
My point is kids are always going to say the names wrong, they'll find a way to mess it up. Chances are they won't even know what a pun is, let alone care about the german origin of the middle syllable, once they hear it spoken that's all that is going to suffice.

Gokuzaru
17th January 2011, 6:52 PM
My point is kids are always going to say the names wrong, they'll find a way to mess it up. Chances are they won't even know what a pun is, let alone care about the german origin of the middle syllable, once they hear it spoken that's all that is going to suffice.

hes right you know. the correct pronunciation of the names is really not important for kids. if the name sounds/looks cool from their standpoint, then thats really all they need to enjoy it.
also, i think that that is a great name for it.

Dracoste
17th January 2011, 7:41 PM
lol damn iPhone auto correct... I think I must have typed martiam or something.

Don't worry, I knew what you were saying.
I know that they are(probably) the only famous martian artist with the name Chan and Lee, But Uri though they were making fun of him, spoon benting is actually a bit his signature, He also claimed that Kadabra was anti-Semitic in nature, with the star on its forehead and lightning bolts resembling the logo of the Nazi SS. He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."

He is angered ver quickly, in "the new Uri Geller" one of the mentalists ate leechs as part of it's performance, and because he's against animal cruelty, he freaked out.

SasakiThePikachu
17th January 2011, 7:51 PM
That statement kills itself- the afro IS the hairstyle.

Did you even read my post?

'No, it doesn't reference the afro, it references the hair.

By calling it something it isn't.'

If it's calling the hairstyle something it isn't, then it isn't referencing the afro, is it? It's specifically avoiding the fact that the hair is an afro.

@SM: I'm not going around calling you all '-chan' or squealing that things are 'sugoi' or 'super-kawaii!!1!'. I happen to use 'ne?' at the end of sentences as a kind of alternate 'eh?'. Calling it 'like nails on a chalkboard' is rude and pretty bleedin' snobbish.

I don't think pronunciations matter all that much. Just say it how you think it sounds, as best you can. If you're really worried about how to say a name because you're going to an event and don't want to make a fool of yourself, just ask. It's better to say 'hey, how do you pronounce this pokemon's name, I can't figure it out' than to go around calling Empoleon 'emporium' or Chimecho 'chime-cho' (both of which my ex boyfriend was guilty of).

BCVM22
17th January 2011, 7:55 PM
If it's calling the hairstyle something it isn't, then it isn't referencing the afro, is it? It's specifically avoiding the fact that the hair is an afro.

But... it isn't. It's calling the Pokémon's hair "bouffant", which has a perfectly acceptable definition besides the women's hairstyle of the same name. Again, what is a giant afro if not "puffed out, full", which is that second definition of bouffant.

Missingno.Fan
17th January 2011, 8:02 PM
On a different note, isn't Deino pronounced as 'Dino'? That may be another pun, since Deino does look a bit Dinosaur-esque. Sorry if I sounded obvious.
Yes. It's a pun on "ein" which is German for "one".

R_N
17th January 2011, 8:05 PM
But... it isn't. It's calling the Pokémon's hair "bouffant", which has a perfectly acceptable definition besides the women's hairstyle of the same name. Again, what is a giant afro if not "puffed out, full", which is that second definition of bouffant.

But it's not the afro it's the hair

GOD BCVM22 KEEP UP HERE

Porygandrew
17th January 2011, 8:14 PM
Does anyone else feel weird about the english translation of Yooterii? Lillipup?

"Yorterri" was a close-enough English name that it really didn't need any extra translations. I mean, "Yorkshire Terrier" can't get much plainer than that.

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 8:25 PM
I think your done my friend. For one I didnt pronounce it I wrote it. Two I wasnt even freakin trying to write it correctly. Notice the whatever right after it. Three IM NOT GERMAN. And I dont ever plan to be. Now lets get back to talking about pokemon shall we?

I didn't even notice you typed it wrong. You said it was hard to pronounce and I said all you need to do to pronounce it right is to say the number three in German. You don't have to be German and you don't need to plan to be to say the name right- you don't need to be Spanish to say Moltres now, do you? Now, don't be so goddamn rude and try to understand what a lighthearted response is.

@SasakiThePikachu I still don't understand your point. I'm pretty sure "bouffant" is referring to the design of the afro- which is large and puffed out. So I don't even...

Disgruntled Goat
17th January 2011, 9:59 PM
I think you guys are missing the point with Bouffalant - the names don't have to literally describe the Pokemon. Its already been mentioned that Patrat isn't actually a rat. Bisharp isn't really based on a bishop all that much. Look at say Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape - a chimpanzee, monkey and ape are different creatures, albeit the same family. The names are just hints.

Ariaces
17th January 2011, 10:04 PM
Man, some major drips on this thread.

Any of you see names that have good basis but are poorly executed?
Looking at Serperior and Samurott, they could have been better as 'Serpreme' and 'Sotterai'. Though it's most likely just me.

Lorde
17th January 2011, 10:14 PM
Everyone knows that it's not the size of the afro that counts, but how you use it :rolleyes:

I've disliked the beast ever since it absorbed my Doreida's Giga Drain attack with its Herbivore ability. I didn't even know that it had the Herbivore ability until it was too late, but I still blame Baffuron/Bouffalant for the loss there. Anyway yeah, all this talk of Baffuron/Bouffalant and afros is making my hair stand on end. On another note: I think I love the German number references (ein, zwei, and drei) in the English names for Monozu and friends. I think I like what was done there since I actually understood it right away. And here I thought that those German classes wouldn't pay off.

R_N
17th January 2011, 10:26 PM
It'd be interesting if Germany tried to follow the pun, and use the English one, two, three in their names

nikohesus
17th January 2011, 10:32 PM
Looking at Serperior and Samurott, they could have been better as 'Serpreme' and 'Sotterai'. Though it's most likely just me.

I agree with Serpreme but no with Sotterai. Sotterai seems more like a fire or electric type name, for some reason. It may have to do with Sott->Soot or Rai->thunder. Samurott is fine.

BW202
17th January 2011, 11:44 PM
Man, some major drips on this thread.

IMO I prefer Serperior and Samurott. I don't really like Sotterai at all as harsh as that may sound. I would've been perfectly fine with Serpreme, just not over Serperior. I just like the way Serperior sounds over the way Serpreme sounds.

SasakiThePikachu
17th January 2011, 11:55 PM
I understand that the name doesn't have to describe the pokemon. All I said was that a bouffant does not an afro make. It's probably just a pet peeve because I'm an english major, but I hate when people think that synonyms mean exactly the same thing as the original word. They don't. Different words have whole other connotations, and therefore can completely change the meaning of the intended word/pun/joke.

Twilight is a good example. That bit where Meyer describes Edward's arms as 'scintillating'. She was trying to come up with a clever word for sparkly but just ended up making it sound as though Edward's arms are capable of wry, witty fascinating banter. Considering that Edward himself isn't capable of this, I sure as hell doubt his arms are. Somebody please take away the woman's thesaurus.

I fully appreciate that 'bouffant' lends itself easier to a buffalo pun, it just saddens me a little that the 'afro' joke was lost. Baffuron's name used to make me think of Afro Samurai, y'know, the cool anime with Samuel L Jackson. Now I feel it just sounds a bit camp. But that's just me. I didn't mean to start WW3 over this -___-;;

Serpreme? Wow, that's actually even cooler than Serperior, plus it has the benefit that Rhyperior hasn't already nicked it. Clever! :)

nikohesus
18th January 2011, 12:26 AM
@SasakiThePikachu The name for a Pokemon doesn't always have to completely reference the Pokemon itself. I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of it. And English words always have numerous definitions, you'd be surprised. It's not as if the Pokemon itself becomes severely effected, geez.
And yeah, I still prefer Serperior to Serpreme (had a bit of a brain fart there) I don't know why people dislike the name because Rhyperior had the -perior suffix. What about ariaDOS, craniDOS, ramparDOS, zapDOS?

SasakiThePikachu
18th January 2011, 12:31 AM
@SasakiThePikachu The name for a Pokemon doesn't always have to completely reference the Pokemon itself. I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of it. And English words always have numerous definitions, you'd be surprised. It's not as if the Pokemon itself becomes severely effected, geez.
And yeah, I still prefer Serperior to Serpreme (had a bit of a brain fart there) I don't know why people dislike the name because Rhyperior had the -perior suffix. What about ariaDOS, craniDOS, ramparDOS, zapDOS?

Regarding your first sentence, I never said it did. Re-read my first sentence.

Who's making a big deal of it? You and others argued, so I counter-argued and justified my opinion. I explained it all my last post - that's pretty much all I have to say.

'Dos' doesn't really stick out as much as 'perior', does it? I think they can get away with it, though. For one thing only 1 other pokemon has a claim to that suffix, and for another, Jalorda is the 'biz :D

PS. Loving the puns, Kira. You're giving Ninty a run for their money ;)

ryodragonite
18th January 2011, 1:28 AM
"Yorterri" was a close-enough English name that it really didn't need any extra translations. I mean, "Yorkshire Terrier" can't get much plainer than that.

Yeah Yoerterri does sound a lot better and makes more sense so I assume that this is the confirmed name? Lilipup was the translation on the pokebeach forum so I thought that was what it was.

I didn't even notice you typed it wrong. You said it was hard to pronounce and I said all you need to do to pronounce it right is to say the number three in German. You don't have to be German and you don't need to plan to be to say the name right- you don't need to be Spanish to say Moltres now, do you? Now, don't be so goddamn rude and try to understand what a lighthearted response is.

I dont like the way your talking to me at all NIKO. You dont need to curse were talking about pokemon names for goodness sake! Moltres is not spanish and nor will it ever be. The suffix however is. I didnt take your first response as lighthearted and more of rude. It was my opinion and Im titled to it. and Id advise that you stop before we both get in trouble.

Regarding your first sentence, I never said it did. Re-read my first sentence.

Who's making a big deal of it? You and others argued, so I counter-argued and justified my opinion. I explained it all my last post - that's pretty much all I have to say.

'Dos' doesn't really stick out as much as 'perior', does it? I think they can get away with it, though. For one thing only 1 other pokemon has a claim to that suffix, and for another, Jalorda is the 'biz :D

PS. Loving the puns, Kira. You're giving Ninty a run for their money ;)

I think that Niko likes to make arguements with others Sasaki Pikachu.

He just wants attention.

nikohesus
18th January 2011, 1:45 AM
I dont like the way your talking to me at all NIKO. You dont need to curse were talking about pokemon names for goodness sake! Moltres is not spanish and nor will it ever be. The suffix however is. I didnt take your first response as lighthearted and more of rude. It was my opinion and Im titled to it. and Id advise that you stop before we both get in trouble.

Why would you take it as rude? Moltres has the number three (tres) in Spanish from it if you haven't noticed, and I just said that if you want to pronounce Hydreigon correctly simply pronounce the number three in German. I never intended anything rude from it and nor should you take it as rude. Here's what I originally said:

You're done!

I don't want to make a big deal out of this, I want to make a point that I didn't mean anything derogatory.

I think that Niko likes to make arguements with others Sasaki Pikachu.
He just wants attention.

I simply disagreed with you both, and attention on an internet forum isn't valuable.

Dr. Leggs
18th January 2011, 1:50 AM
Yeah Yoerterri does sound a lot better and makes more sense so I assume that this is the confirmed name? Lilipup was the translation on the pokebeach forum so I thought that was what it was.

How does Yorterri make more sense than Lillipup? They both make perfect sense. And Lillipup is the English, albeit unconfirmed name. Yorterri is the Japanese name. Lillipup is not a translation.

ryodragonite
18th January 2011, 2:02 AM
How does Yorterri make more sense than Lillipup? They both make perfect sense. And Lillipup is the English, albeit unconfirmed name. Yorterri is the Japanese name. Lillipup is not a translation.

I dont know. I just saw lilipup as a translation on pokebeach. It sounds like a plant pokemon to me if you know what Im saying. Like a lilipad and a pup.

Oh I didnt know that. Someone tyold me that Yorterri as in yorkie terrier was the translation. So I guess Lilipup is the confirmed name?

Dr. Leggs
18th January 2011, 2:22 AM
I dont know. I just saw lilipup as a translation on pokebeach. It sounds like a plant pokemon to me if you know what Im saying. Like a lilipad and a pup.

Oh I didnt know that. Someone tyold me that Yorterri as in yorkie terrier was the translation. So I guess Lilipup is the confirmed name?

More or less. Not officially confirmed but otherwise, it seems to be.

Lillipup is a pun on Lilliput(ian), the land of tiny people in Gulliver's Travels. Lilliputian means small, diminuitive, tiny. Lilliputian + Pup. Tiny pup.

My only complaint at this time is the names that sound a little similar across unrelated families. There aren't many, but I guess the similar sounds of the Oshawott family and Whimsicott, as well as Lillipup/Lilligant kinda irk me. At least they come from different roots.

Mario with Lasers
18th January 2011, 2:40 AM
I swear I've read "Lileep" at least thrice in this page, lol...

Dr. Leggs
18th January 2011, 2:50 AM
I doubt they would change Hydreigon to Hydragon or Sazandra. They don't have any reason at all to, and they'd have to rework the names of the whole Deino line because removing the 'drei' screws up the pun.

Pikacu
18th January 2011, 3:46 AM
I was under the impression that nothing had been confirmed for that name yet, forgive me if im being old school but hydreigon sounds pathetic

Kreis
18th January 2011, 3:53 AM
I was under the impression that nothing had been confirmed for that name yet, forgive me if im being old school but hydreigon sounds pathetic

How so? It describes the Pokemon perfectly.

BCVM22
18th January 2011, 3:53 AM
"Pathetic". That's a new one.

Groan.

Disgruntled Goat
18th January 2011, 3:54 AM
To clarify: only a handful of names have been officially confirmed. But every other name besides final three (merido, meloetta, genosect) were leaked a few days ago and are almost certainly the real English names. So 'hydreigon' is not /officially/ confirmed, but as good as.

Dr. Leggs
18th January 2011, 4:09 AM
Groan indeed.

My only inquiry would be the pronunciation, which has already been discussed. I've been saying hi-DRY-gon, but I actually think both that and HI-druh-gon sound fine.

BW202
18th January 2011, 4:20 AM

This was the name I thought would get the least amount of criticism, guess I was wrong,

I don't get how the name is "pathetic." If you're going to criticize something, please at least explain why you are criticizing.

tailswalker
18th January 2011, 5:04 AM
Oh...PJ....

Other things I noticed:

Axew - Axe + hew
Fraxure - Axe + Fracture
Ducklett - I've seen people complaining about the name ('It's not a duck!! It's a Cygnet!! GF suk') What they're forgetting is that the Ugly Duckling didn't know it was a swan until it grew up - it thought it was an ugly duck. And Koaruhie is basically baby/child + a corruption of the Japanese word for duck. So yeah.

I think Chadelure comes from Chandelier+lure, like when ghosts supposedly lure lost people to dangerous places to die, or something like that.

As for stunfisk, I love it!!!! Stun+fisk (fish in Swedish), who would've thought
a swedish word would come up in the English names???

BCVM22
18th January 2011, 5:19 AM
who would've thought
a swedish word would come up in the English names???

The same people who have seen Japanese, Spanish, French, German and lord knows what other languages I'm missing pop up in the English names...?

Sabonea_Masukippa
18th January 2011, 5:21 AM
I think Chadelure comes from Chandelier+lure, like when ghosts supposedly lure lost people to dangerous places to die, or something like that.

Yes, I'm sure that's where's it from. I have no idea where PJ got his guesses from.

Also; for any people who wanna say how the English names aren't as good as the Japanese names here's a list of a few direct translations of the Japanese names (I've tried to keep these as close to the original meanings/constructions as possible, but in some cases, like Tabunne, I've been a bit more lenient to try and get the point across).

Tsutarja: Iveesnake
Janony: Snakvy
Jalorda: Snake-lord
Daikenki: Great-sword-fighter
Pokabu: Warmpi
Minezumi: Watch-mouse
Miruhoggu: Watch-hog
Choroneko: Theif-cat
Kenhorou: Tweet-stamp
Shimama: Zbra
Dangoro: Rokroll
Gantle: Rockantle
Koromori: Roll-bat
Kokoromori: Heart-bat
Tabunne: Prob-ear-ly
Gamageroge: Ribbitoad
Churine: Tuliroot
Megoroko: Black-eye-croc
Waruvile: Badvile
Waruvial: Badvial
Ishizumai: Pebble-dwell
Iwapalace: Boulder-palace
Yabukuron: Bagburst
Dustdas: Put-ou-the-trash
Uniran: Unicell
Douburan: Doubucell
Koaruhie: Babydukky
Shikijika: Four-seasons-deer
Mebukijika: Bud-deer
Tamagetake: Astonishroom
Tesshiido: Metseed
Hitomoshi: Soleflame
Kibago: Tuskby
Kumasyun: Bearchoo
Kuitaran: Eataman
Monozu: Monoskull
Jiheddo: Twohead
Sazandora: Threetridra

So don't try pretending they're any better just because you don't understand them.

Gokuzaru
18th January 2011, 5:21 AM
As for stunfisk, I love it!!!! Stun+fisk (fish in Swedish), who would've thought a swedish word would come up in the English names???
um, plenty of people. so many different languages are out there in english pokemon names. thats just how it is. swedish wouldnt really be that much of an anomaly

"Kuitaran: Eataman"^
i find this one funny.

BCVM22
18th January 2011, 5:50 AM
Kumasyun: Bearchoo

That's not bad.

R_N
18th January 2011, 5:56 AM
Dangoro: Rokroll

Well huh

how about that

tailswalker
18th January 2011, 7:01 AM
um, plenty of people. so many different languages are out there in english pokemon names. thats just how it is. swedish wouldnt really be that much of an anomaly

"Kuitaran: Eataman"^
i find this one funny.

I didn't intend to make people mad with my comment, or to sound childish for that matter, I just thought that swedish isn't a widespread language such as french or spanish, so it was really surprising for me to see that.

Sorry if someone was frustrated or annoyed by my post. it was just a remark. :(

BCVM22
18th January 2011, 7:04 AM
It was just odd that you were so surprised to see a Swedish word work its way into an etymology when any number of localized Pokémon names use words from other languages, that's all.

Shine
18th January 2011, 7:15 AM
Tamagetake: Astonishroom

That one is awesome, too bad it won't fit in the English version.

Sponge
18th January 2011, 8:19 AM
Probearly is a funny one, I like it.

Overall though....when you look at it some of the japanese names are a bit rubbish when they're translated to english.

I'd bet most people only prefer the japanese names cause they don't actually understand them and see the mysterious/unusual side to them.

Xweek
18th January 2011, 9:45 AM
To be fair BCVM, Swedish isn't a language that comes to mind that prominently. Things like French, German and Spanish are Western European languages along with English and are very well known languages. Swedish...is not so, really.

Will-powered Spriter
18th January 2011, 9:45 AM
I'd bet most people only prefer the japanese names cause they don't actually understand them and see the mysterious/unusual side to them.

I think its more you learn the japanese ones first, and get used to them first. If they were released first in any other language, it would be the same.

Lorde
18th January 2011, 10:39 AM
PS. Loving the puns, Kira.

Puns. Puns everywhere.

I just figured that since the English names have puns galore, I might as well enjoy pointing some out.

I'm sort of split on the English name for Yooterii. I like it, but I keep seeing Lileep instead (not sure if that's just me). On the bright side, the English name sounds really cute for the Pokemon. I didn't think that they'd just combine the words little and puppy, but there you have it. Also, I can't help but like that there won't be 20 different ways of spelling it. I think I spelled the Japanese name in 10 different ways myself (Yoterri, Yoterry, Yoiterry, Yooteri and Yootery to name a few). At least people can't mess up the English name, much. That would be ruff on the eyes.

Will-powered Spriter
18th January 2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't think that they'd just combine the words little and puppy, but there you have it.

They didn't. It's a cross between Puppy, and Lilliputians, a race of little people from Gullivers Travels, which according to TV tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Lilliputians) has since become a word meaning "very small".

I'm very good at this avoiding name spoilers business. It's been a whole week since I promised myself and I've only memeorised 3/4 of them so far.

SasakiThePikachu
18th January 2011, 2:33 PM
They didn't. It's a cross between Puppy, and Lilliputians, a race of little people from Gullivers Travels, which according to TV tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Lilliputians) has since become a word meaning "very small".

I'm very good at this avoiding name spoilers business. It's been a whole week since I promised myself and I've only memeorised 3/4 of them so far.

I have problems with 'lilipup' too; mostly for the resons others have already stated. It looks like Lileep if you read it too fast, it sounds like a dog crossed with a plant, and it is also a little too close to Lilygant for my liking. It's cute but...it just doesn't feel right somehow.

I like clever references in pokemon names, but the liliputian thing just seems a bit random there. I tend to prefer names when it is obvious the each stage evolves into the other through similar words: 'machop, machoke, machoke' or at least an ongoing joke: 'eins, zwei, drei' in Monozu's line.

Endless
18th January 2011, 4:19 PM
To be fair BCVM, Swedish isn't a language that comes to mind that prominently. Things like French, German and Spanish are Western European languages along with English and are very well known languages. Swedish...is not so, really.

Well I do not find it that strange, as "fisk" means fish in all Scandinavian countries. And I remember an older pokémon with a common Scandinavian word in it too, don't remeber what pokemon though.

Exodd
18th January 2011, 9:33 PM
Stunfisk, both the name and Pokemon, reminds me of Dunsparce. Stunfisk also kind of sounds like Skuntank, who has a similar-sounding cry.

Lorde
18th January 2011, 9:38 PM
Stunfisk, both the name and Pokemon, reminds me of Dunsparce. Stunfisk also kind of sounds like Skuntank, who has a similar-sounding cry.

I was surprised that they didn't just name it Stunfish, actually. Stun would be a reference to how it can stun its enemies with electricity, and the fish part would have been obvious, but they went with fisk (what the devil does that mean, anyway?). But hey, anything is better than calling it Maggyo or something silly like "Derpfish".

Dracoste
18th January 2011, 9:40 PM
but they went with fisk (what the devil does that mean, anyway?

Uhhhh... look 2 posts above you:

Well I do not find it that strange, as "fisk" means fish in all Scandinavian countries.

Gokuzaru
18th January 2011, 10:16 PM
i agree with those that think lilipup sounds too much like lileep. it could get rather confusing i suppose, but, i mean, they arent that similar of poekmon so im sure it would b such a big deal.

Crystal_Power
18th January 2011, 10:34 PM
You know, I'm looking at the slideshow on http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/ thanks to BW202 for telling me.

It does make the English names look better, but there's still a good amount of names I really dislike...

SasakiThePikachu
18th January 2011, 11:44 PM
You know, I'm looking at the slideshow on http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/ thanks to BW202 for telling me.

It does make the English names look better, but there's still a good amount of names I really dislike...

That is helpful! And so is Jigglychu's sig - it's giving me a free english names lesson everytime I scroll past it!

As for the names, I guess we'll just have to get used to them. In a year's time I doubt we'll even care anymore...they'll have been rammed into our brains so much we'll just accept them. Pokemon subliminal propoganda :D

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 1:17 AM
Fisk, while meaning 'fish' in many languages, could also be a combination of fish and disk, as many of its Dex entries describe its flatness. Probably unintentional but it works either way, no?

XXD17
19th January 2011, 2:03 AM
Well I do not find it that strange, as "fisk" means fish in all Scandinavian countries. And I remember an older pokémon with a common Scandinavian word in it too, don't remeber what pokemon though.

...Or it could be a combo of fish and disk which i what Stunfisk is, a flat roundish fish...If you look at its inspirations, the electric ray and the flounder/halibut/plaice/turbot/dab/tonguefish, they are also flat and sort of round like a disk...actually, i believe someone mentioned this awhile back...

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 3:03 AM
Like, the post above yours...?

garfield15
19th January 2011, 3:41 AM
Haxorus.

That...that is honestly hilarious. I love it.

Maverik
19th January 2011, 4:04 AM
Even the name Sawk seems to grow on me, I don't know why people prefer Dageki.
Honestly, if people actually figure out the meanings of some Japanese names they aren't really as great.
Dageki literally just means Strike in Japanese, with no alternate spelling whatsoever, whereas Sawk means Sock- as in punch- but it's spelled differently to look cooler- like Muk.
And yes, I get the "sock" joke, but Sawk really does look like an awesome Pokemon.

Rikudo Sennin
19th January 2011, 4:19 AM
Both Sawk and throh have always looked really meh in design, in my opinion.
I mean trubbish and vanillite are okay - surely not the best, so I get that a lot of people hate on them - but at least they have some kind of appeal to their design.
The new fighting duo looks really bad, they're almost too human and it's really freaky. And what is up with the robes? it really makes me wonder how they hatch out of their eggs wearing a robe and stuff. I think Cubone was said to wear their dead mother's skull or something like that, so i get that. But considering these two are born with a magical robe - even in terms of pokemon - is pretty damn weird.

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 4:30 AM
it really makes me wonder how they hatch out of their eggs wearing a robe and stuff.

The same way Hitmonchan is born wearing boxing gloves.

halloweenghost
19th January 2011, 4:42 AM
The same way Hitmonchan is born wearing boxing gloves.
but isn't hitmonchan not hatched as hitmonchan :P but then again tyrogue was born with shorts...

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 4:44 AM
Depends what generation you're speaking from.

I think the point was clear enough.

XXD17
19th January 2011, 5:00 AM
Like, the post above yours...?

*smashes head against desk* sorry about that -_- I could have sworn your comment wasn't there when I was writing mine... anyways, I still don't get Stoutland even after all the attempted explanations..stout is obvious but the land part is so ambiguous...some say it's from west highland white terrier (which looks nothing like Stoutland)... maybe a reference to scotland ? I guess it kind of looks like a scottie...

turtwig217
19th January 2011, 5:05 AM

I think the point was clear enough.

Nope, Hitmonchan has always hatched into a Tyrogue.

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 5:09 AM

Try again.

And regardless, the point was that if you're really going to complain that Throh and Sawk are wearing gis, then go complain about every Pokémon that wears gloves, a hat, a helmet, has a child in its pouch or anything else that a newborn something technically shouldn't have.

Honestly.

Grei
19th January 2011, 5:09 AM

:|

The same way a Kangaskhan is born with a baby already in its pouch.

freakin' nit-pickers

Chimchar15
19th January 2011, 5:11 AM

Apparently someone's forgotten that Tyrogue didn't exist back in gen 1.

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 5:12 AM
Hm, no, I suppose the point is valid, since there was no breeding in Generation I.

Which doesn't change the fact that complaining about Pokémon wearing clothes or other accessories is just sort of inane.

Chimchar15
19th January 2011, 5:19 AM
^Right I forgot. Anyways is anyone else in love with Whimsicott? Seriously one of the best name of this gen. I might just add him to my team now.

Grei
19th January 2011, 5:24 AM
^Right I forgot. Anyways is anyone else in love with Whimsicott? Seriously one of the best name of this gen. I might just add him to my team now.

I feel like the name should have a reference to it's likeness to an elephant (unless there is and I'm just missing it). Otherwise, the name is nice. Not nice enough to make me want to use one on my team, but still nice.

Luxrayess
19th January 2011, 5:26 AM
Hm, no, I suppose the point is valid, since there was no breeding in Generation I.

Which doesn't change the fact that complaining about Pokémon wearing clothes or other accessories is just sort of inane.

The reason they are born with clothes is probably somewhere near the same reason why the Hulk still keeps his pants on when he turns into that hulking green giant.

Gah! Who am I kidding?? Mr. Mime runs around with no apparent clothes and no one has an issue!

It's probably a design reason, and it saves a little bit of time, effort and data not to make multiple sprites for clothes/no-clothes or baby/no-baby. Or some other silly reason close to it.

There could always be interesting and more resonable fan-interpretations of what clothing-wearing Pokes truly look like in the wild. Can you picture a Sawk in fig-leaf clothes or a Machoke in a fur-pelt tunic with a vine-made belt, anyone? I can. -._-.

R_N
19th January 2011, 5:46 AM
While it is weird they don't try to explain their gis (if you look closely, it appears to be skin coloring, if only for the "sleeves"), they do at least explain their belts. They make them out of vines.
No I'm not sure why the vines are black and look exactly like very well made belts BUT there you go.

Rikudo Sennin
19th January 2011, 5:54 AM
All I meant is that it's a little ridiculous that they come out fully clothed out of an egg with a robe and a piece of cloth tied around their waist, not with just an accessory or two, and that there's no backstory or pokedex explanation for this (as they attempted with Cubone)

I wasn't nitpicking, this is easily the most extreme example of this out of 600+ pokemons already.

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 5:58 AM
If nothing else in this fictional franchise bothers you, but you have trouble accepting that humanoid Pokémon are born wearing a covering garment, I really don't know what to tell you.

Luxrayess
19th January 2011, 6:03 AM
If nothing else in this fictional franchise bothers you, but you have trouble accepting that humanoid Pokémon are born wearing a covering garment, I really don't know what to tell you.

Meh, in reality I don't have much of a problem with it. It's sometimes seems a little illogical, but not enough to turn me off in any way.

But enough with this silly argument...

*changes topic*
Any speculations on who might get evos in the 6th gen?

Chimchar15
19th January 2011, 6:08 AM
Meh, in reality I don't have much of a problem with it. It's sometimes seems a little illogical, but not enough to turn me off in any way.

But enough with this silly argument...

*changes topic*

Can we wait at least a couple more months before we start talking about 6th gen? I still haven't even played Black or White yet.

R_N
19th January 2011, 6:29 AM
I wasn't nitpicking, this is easily the most extreme example of this out of 600+ pokemons already.

pfahahahah man what?
Kangaskhan comes out of the egg with a baby already in its pouch
Cubone's mother is supposed to die so that it can wear its skull
Chansey already has an egg in its pouch after hatching!
Spoik has its giant pearl
Vullaby has its skull diaper

And as I said, the belts are explained: They make them out of vines.

BW202
19th January 2011, 6:53 AM
Alright, I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of the new Pokemon overall. On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the design and names of the new Pokemon?

For me: Design - 7-7.5/10
Names - 9/10 (I have fallen for almost all of the names :P)

Sabonea_Masukippa
19th January 2011, 6:56 AM
*changes topic*

Oh...don't get me started :p

Audino pre-evo/evo - it's Chansey V2.0
Sawk/Throh's version of Tyrouge - imagine the eyebrows
Minccino Pre-evo - to really make it Pikachu V2.0
Masculine Alt. Evo for Gothorita
Alt. shell evo(s) for Karrablast
Klang Alt. evo
Druddigon pre-evo

Regardless, there could be as many as 20-30 evos/pre-evos/alts next gen and (depending on GF's mood) they might draw inspiration for them exclusively from the 5th Gen Pokemon.

Exodd
19th January 2011, 8:34 AM
I feel like the name should have a reference to it's likeness to an elephant (unless there is and I'm just missing it). Otherwise, the name is nice.

How does Erufuun look like an elephant?

The Oncoming Storm
19th January 2011, 8:44 AM
I always rationalized the clothes as being part of the poke. Im just happy they got clothes on and we aint gotta look at thiere poke-junk.

What bothers me is beartics large tuft of fur between his legs. It just looks bad. Oh and so does reshrams. Just awkward to see.

wearjo
19th January 2011, 8:45 AM
Can we wait at least a couple more months before we start talking about 6th gen? I still haven't even played Black or White yet.

It'll probably be a remake next or grey...

Zhanton
19th January 2011, 9:38 AM
It'll probably be a remake next or grey...
Well done on noticing that.

What bothers me is beartics large tuft of fur between his legs. It just looks bad. Oh and so does reshrams. Just awkward to see.
Hahaha, yeah, it looks really weird :S Apart from those things I quite like Tsunbear and Reshiram.

Oh...don't get me started

Audino pre-evo/evo - it's Chansey V2.0
Sawk/Throh's version of Tyrouge - imagine the eyebrows
Minccino Pre-evo - to really make it Pikachu V2.0
Masculine Alt. Evo for Gothorita
Alt. shell evo(s) for Karrablast
Klang Alt. evo
Druddigon pre-evo
Alt shell evo/s for Karrablast? To be honest, I can't see fossil Pokemon ever getting evolutions/pre-evolutions in later generations. Don't know why, but just because.
A Shinpora pre-evolution (forgot its English name...) would be kind of cute.

BCVM22
19th January 2011, 9:44 AM
Alt shell evo/s for Karrablast? To be honest, I can't see fossil Pokemon ever getting evolutions/pre-evolutions in later generations.

Karrablast =
http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon/588.png

Torrentr
19th January 2011, 9:44 AM
Alt shell evo/s for Karrablast? To be honest, I can't see fossil Pokemon ever getting evolutions/pre-evolutions in later generations. Don't know why, but just because.

Karrablast isn't a fossil, though--he's one of the bug types that evolve via trading, along with Shelmet. It's name is kinda similar to Carracosta, I guess, with the double r's and all :)

Ophie
19th January 2011, 12:02 PM
Twilight is a good example. That bit where Meyer describes Edward's arms as 'scintillating'. She was trying to come up with a clever word for sparkly but just ended up making it sound as though Edward's arms are capable of wry, witty fascinating banter. Considering that Edward himself isn't capable of this, I sure as hell doubt his arms are. Somebody please take away the woman's thesaurus.

I fully appreciate that 'bouffant' lends itself easier to a buffalo pun, it just saddens me a little that the 'afro' joke was lost. Baffuron's name used to make me think of Afro Samurai, y'know, the cool anime with Samuel L Jackson. Now I feel it just sounds a bit camp. But that's just me. I didn't mean to start WW3 over this -___-;;

My guess is that Nintendo didn't want to offend some particularly litigious African-Americans by referencing afros. I know Time Warner is pretty apprehensive about showing The Super Globetrotters, even on Boomerang, for the same reason.

Then again, afros were mentioned liberally throughout Parappa the Rapper 2, and Sony didn't get in trouble for that. I guess it all comes down to the legal team.

Also, Edward can pull any superpowers he wishes. I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly had arms wittier than he is.

I feel like the name should have a reference to it's likeness to an elephant (unless there is and I'm just missing it). Otherwise, the name is nice. Not nice enough to make me want to use one on my team, but still nice.

To add to how it has nothing to do with elephants, it's a cotton flower combined with the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary.

Zhanton
19th January 2011, 12:16 PM
Karrablast isn't a fossil, though--he's one of the bug types that evolve via trading, along with Shelmet. It's name is kinda similar to Carracosta, I guess, with the double r's and all
Oh, right, awkward :S I'm too used to the Japanese names :P
Still, I'm not too sure how alternate shell evolutions for it will work for it; if so there would need to be alternate evolutions for Shelmet.

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 12:35 PM
*changes topic*

It's indeed early...well... it doesn't hurt to think about it.

Swoobat also probably get a evolution to be more like the Zubat line.
Throh and Sawk, just like someone else said, will get a pre-evo and it probably gets a evo that is specialized in a different fightng style.

Lorde
19th January 2011, 12:57 PM
How does Erufuun look like an elephant?

I think he was just pointing out that Erufuun sounds a bit like elephant. I think he was just joking around, being sarcastic. Probably because people have brought up similar points in the past, or something. Anyway yeah, Whimsicott is actually one of the English names that I like the most. In fact, I may just capture a Monmen (I forget its English name) and evolve it into a Whimsicott to use on my team. I really had trouble spelling out Erufuun since there were like 10 different ways of spelling, but the name Whimsicott just rolls off the tongue and is easier to memorize. I find it whimsical ♫

EDIT: It would appear that more English names were revealed via a magazine of some kind. They all seem to match those on the list. Hmm...

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 1:05 PM
EDIT: It would appear that more English names were revealed via a magazine of some kind. They all seem to match those on the list. Hmm...

This just confirms the List more and more official, I already believed it was real after Cofagrigus and the others were revealed to be the English names, this is just more proof for the people that don't believe that that list is real.

Hejiru
19th January 2011, 1:10 PM
This pretty much proves the list. There's no way it's fake now.

Pikacu
19th January 2011, 1:22 PM
Would any one care to tell me where i can find said list

Lorde
19th January 2011, 1:24 PM
This just confirms the List more and more official, I already believed it was real after Cofagrigus and the others were revealed to be the English names, this is just more proof for the people that don't believe that that list is real.

Sure sure, though personally, I didn't doubt the list since many Pokemon had their English names revealed on the B/W site shortly after the "leak" and they matched those on the list that was posted around. I always just tried to avoid using those English names because I was so used to the Japanese names. I loved how cute the name Kurumiru sounded, but now I gotta get used to saying "Sewaddle" instead. Excadrill sounds neat though, and I look forward to using it instead of "Doryuzu".

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 1:30 PM
Would any one care to tell me where i can find said list

Victini Vittoria 0,4 m 4,0 kg
Snivy Serperba 0,6 m 8,1 kg
Servine Serperba 0,8 m 16,0 kg
Serperior Regale 3,3 m 63,0 kg
Tepig Suinfuoco 0,5 m 9,9 kg
Pignite Suinfuoco 1,0 m 55,5 kg
Emboar Suincendio 1,6 m 150,0 kg
Oshawott Lontra 0,5 m 5,9 kg
Dewott Apprendista 0,8 m 24,5 kg
Samurott Dignitŕ 1,5 m 94,6 kg
Patrat Esplorante 0,5 m 11,6 kg
Watchog Sentinella 1,1 m 27,0 kg
Lillipup Cagnolino 0,4 m 4,1 kg
Herdier Fedeltŕ 0,9 m 14,7 kg
Stoutland Generositŕ 1,2 m 61,0 kg
Purrloin Furbizia 0,4 m 10,1 kg
Liepard Sanguefreddo 1,1 m 37,5 kg
Pansage Scimperba 0,6 m 10,5 kg
Simisage Spinpanzé 1,1 m 30,5 kg
Pansear Testacalda 0,6 m 11,0 kg
Simisear Sfavillante 1,0 m 28,0 kg
Panpour Annaffiatore 0,6 m 13,5 kg
Simipour Spruzzacqua 1,0 m 29,0 kg
Munna Divorasogni 0,6 m 23,3 kg
Musharna Dormiveglia 1,1 m 60,5 kg
Pidove Piccione 0,3 m 2,1 kg
Tranquill Granpiccione 0,6 m 15,0 kg
Unfezant Orgoglio 1,2 m 29,0 kg
Blitzle Caricavolt 0,8 m 29,8 kg
Zebstrika Saetta 1,6 m 79,5 kg
Roggenrola Placca 0,4 m 18,0 kg
Boldore Minerale 0,9 m 102,0 kg
Gigalith Pressionalta 1,7 m 260,0 kg
Woobat Pipistrello 0,4 m 2,1 kg
Swoobat Cercamore 0,9 m 10,5 kg
Drilbur Talpa 0,3 m 8,5 kg
Excadrill Sottoterra 0,7 m 40,4 kg
Audino Ascolto 1,1 m 31,0 kg
Timburr Forzaimmane 0,6 m 12,5 kg
Gurdurr Forzaimmane 1,2 m 40,0 kg
Conkeldurr Forzaimmane 1,4 m 87,0 kg
Tympole Girino 0,5 m 4,5 kg
Palpitoad Vibrazione 0,8 m 17,0 kg
Seismitoad Vibrazione 1,5 m 62,0 kg
Throh Judo 1,3 m 55,5 kg
Sawk Karate 1,4 m 51,0 kg
Sewaddle Grancucito 0,3 m 2,5 kg
Swadloon Coprifoglia 0,5 m 7,3 kg
Leavanny Balia 1,2 m 20,5 kg
Venipede Centipede 0,4 m 5,3 kg
Whirlipede Rotopede 1,2 m 58,5 kg
Scolipede Megapede 2,5 m 200,5 kg
Cottonee Cotonpalla 0,3 m 0,6 kg
Whimsicott Spiffero 0,7 m 6,6 kg
Petilil Radice 0,5 m 6,6 kg
Lilligant Fiorfronzolo 1,1 m 16,3 kg
Basculin Irruenza 1,0 m 18,0 kg
Sandile Sabbiadrillo 0,7 m 15,2 kg
Krokorok Sabbiadrillo 1,0 m 33,4 kg
Krookodile Minaccia 1,5 m 96,3 kg
Darumaka Daruma 0,6 m 37,5 kg
Darmanitan Altefiamme 1,3 m 92,9 kg
Maractus Cactus 1,0 m 28,0 kg
Dwebble Pietracasa 0,3 m 14,5 kg
Crustle Scogliocasa 1,4 m 200,0 kg
Scraggy Mutapelle 0,6 m 11,8 kg
Scrafty Furfante 1,1 m 30,0 kg
Sigilyph Pseuduccello 1,4 m 14,0 kg
Yamask Fatuanima 0,5 m 1,5 kg
Cofagrigus Bara 1,7 m 76,5 kg
Tirtouga Ancestruga 0,7 m 16,5 kg
Carracosta Ancestruga 1,2 m 81,0 kg
Archen Paleouccello 0,5 m 9,5 kg
Archeops Paleouccello 1,4 m 32,0 kg
Trubbish Spazzatura 0,6 m 31,0 kg
Garbodor Discarica 1,9 m 107,3 kg
Zorua Malavolpe 0,7 m 12,5 kg
Zoroark Mutevolpe 1,6 m 81,1 kg
Minccino Cincillŕ 0,4 m 5,8 kg
Cinccino Sciarpa 0,5 m 7,5 kg
Gothita Fissosguardo 0,4 m 5,8 kg
Gothorita Raggiro 0,7 m 18,0 kg
Gothitelle Corpoceleste 1,5 m 44,0 kg
Solosis Cellula 0,3 m 1,0 kg
Duosion Scissione 0,6 m 8,0 kg
Reuniclus Espansione 1,0 m 20,1 kg
Ducklett Alacquatico 0,5 m 5,5 kg
Swanna Biancuccello 1,3 m 24,2 kg
Vanillite Nevefresca 0,4 m 5,7 kg
Vanillish Geloneve 1,1 m 41,0 kg
Vanilluxe Bufera 1,3 m 57,5 kg
Deerling Stagione 0,6 m 19,5 kg
Sawsbuck Stagione 1,9 m 92,5 kg
Emolga Petauro 0,4 m 5,0 kg
Karrablast Addentatore 0,5 m 5,9 kg
Escavalier Cavaliere 1,0 m 33,0 kg
Foongus Fungo 0,2 m 1,0 kg
Amoonguss Fungo 0,6 m 10,5 kg
Frillish Fluttuante 1,2 m 33,0 kg
Jellicent Fluttuante 2,2 m 135,0 kg
Alomomola Assistenza 1,2 m 31,6 kg
Joltik Appiccicante 0,1 m 0,6 kg
Galvantula Elettroragno 0,8 m 14,3 kg
Ferroseed Spinaseme 0,6 m 18,8 kg
Ferrothorn Spinasfere 1,0 m 110,0 kg
Klink Ingranaggio 0,3 m 21,0 kg
Klang Ingranaggio 0,6 m 51,0 kg
Klinklang Ingranaggio 0,6 m 81,0 kg
Tynamo Elettropesce 0,2 m 0,3 kg
Eelektrik Elettropesce 1,2 m 22,0 kg
Eelektross Elettropesce 2,1 m 80,5 kg
Elgyem Cervello 0,5 m 9,0 kg
Beheeyem Cervello 1,0 m 34,5 kg
Litwick Candela 0,3 m 3,1 kg
Lampent Lanterna 0,6 m 13,0 kg
Chandelure Attiranime 1,0 m 34,3 kg
Axew Zanna 0,6 m 18,0 kg
Fraxure Mascellascia 1,0 m 36,0 kg
Haxorus Mascellascia 1,8 m 105,5 kg
Cubchoo Freddo 0,5 m 8,5 kg
Beartic Glaciale 2,6 m 260,0 kg
Cryogonal Cristallo 1,1 m 148,0 kg
Shelmet Lumachina 0,4 m 7,7 kg
Accelgor Sgusciato 0,8 m 25,3 kg
Stunfisk Trappola 0,7 m 11,0 kg
Mienfoo Marziale 0,9 m 20,0 kg
Mienshao Marziale 1,4 m 35,5 kg
Druddigon Grotta 1,6 m 139,0 kg
Golett Statuanimata 1,0 m 92,0 kg
Golurk Statuanimata 2,8 m 330,0 kg
Pawniard Lamaffilata 0,5 m 10,2 kg
Bisharp Fildilama 1,6 m 70,0 kg
Bouffalant Sfondatoro 1,6 m 94,6 kg
Rufflet Aquilotto 0,5 m 10,5 kg
Braviary Baldanza 1,5 m 41,0 kg
Vullaby Pannolino 0,5 m 9,0 kg
Mandibuzz Ossaquila 1,2 m 39,5 kg
Heatmor Formichiere 1,4 m 58,0 kg
Durant Ferformica 0,3 m 33,0 kg
Deino Impeto 0,8 m 17,3 kg
Zweilous Irruenza 1,4 m 50,0 kg
Hydreigon Brutale 1,8 m 160,0 kg
Larvesta Torcia 1,1 m 28,8 kg
Volcarona Sole 1,6 m 46,0 kg
Cobalion Metalcuore 2,1 m 250,0 kg
Terrakion Caverna 1,9 m 260,0 kg
Virizion Prateria 2,0 m 200,0 kg
Tornadus Turbinio 1,5 m 63,0 kg
Thundurus Fulminante 1,5 m 61,0 kg
Reshiram Bianco Veritŕ 3,2 m 330,0 kg
Zekrom Nero Ideale 2,9 m 345,0 kg
Landorus Fertilitŕ 1,5 m 68,0 kg
Kyurem Confine 3,0 m 325,0 kg

But this (http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white) is much easier to remember the names, cause it contains pictures along with the names from said list.

Bardische
19th January 2011, 2:39 PM
The leaked list of names is pretty much confirmed. Alomomola and Excadrill and Sewaddle are confirmed.

I'm just happy I guessed Maractus and Emboar right. :D

Oh well, we'll learn to get used to them. Right. There's nick naming, yada-yada-yada, inb4 moar complaints etc.

SasakiThePikachu
19th January 2011, 3:05 PM
Woohoo, so with the update today those names are practically confirmed as legit :D

I'm glad - I'm starting to get used to them. Every time I think of the pokemon, I force myself to say the english name as a memory aid. I'm getting there slowly...Tepig has already replaced Pokabu in my mind. Alomomola, on the other hand, might take some time, and Gochiruzeru might always remain so, which is a shame, because Gothitelle is actually quite cute...

Can I just have a smug high-five moment with anyone else who just had a gut feeling that this list was real?

Disgruntled Goat
19th January 2011, 3:54 PM
Poor old Serebii... feel sorry for him posting "3 new English names revealed" and everyone's like "yeah we know them all" ;)

Also, what's the deal with the move "Struggle Bug", anyone else think that doesn't sound right?

Siphodeus
19th January 2011, 3:59 PM
larvesta and vulcanora are pretty sweet but I was diggin ulgamoth

The Oncoming Storm
19th January 2011, 4:37 PM
Ive thought the list real for a while mainly cause nintendo can only come up with.clever names like:
Foongus
Amoongus
Trubish
Gabodor
Throh
Sawk

Just to name a few.

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 4:43 PM
Can I just have a smug high-five moment with anyone else who just had a gut feeling that this list was real?
I thought you'd be above that. But no, not really. It was either real or fake, and you happened to guess it right. Good work...?

Also, what's the deal with the move "Struggle Bug", anyone else think that doesn't sound right?

Well, considering the Jp. name was Bug Opposition, and NoA liking to make rhymes/puns in names, I don't see an issue.

Bardische
19th January 2011, 4:45 PM
Ive thought the list real for a while mainly cause nintendo can only come up with.clever names like:
Foongus
Amoongus
Trubish
Gabodor
Throh
Sawk

Just to name a few.

This is sarcasm, I presume?

My favorite has to be the oriental feel of Mienfoo and Mienshao. Oh, and Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon. I feel that these names are the best ones of the bunch. Lilligant and Zebstrika are like super heroes, Scolipede makes me think of a scholar centipede, and Whimsicott is...eerrr...:f

Locormus
19th January 2011, 4:56 PM
larvesta and vulcanora are pretty sweet but I was diggin ulgamoth

Pretty much, but I think there are some sweet names in there. The one I'm most frustrated with, is Waruvial's English name: Krookodile. Being Dutch, we'll get to use the English names here as well. Now the Dutch word for Crocodile is.. DUMDUMDUMDUM.... Krokodil.. Pronounced exactly the way as the English name.. *if you'd pronounce the double as in Croagunk..

But it's probably some halfassed witty pun on 'crook'.. But in that case why just not make it 'Crookodile'?

Was that too hard???

Names I like: Servine, Serperior, Pignite, Emboar, Oshawott (still think Moustillon is better though), Dewott, Samurott, Patrat, Stoutland, etc etc..

Names I think that are sloppy:
- Roggenrola and Boldore - What a lousy pair of names..
- Drilbur - At least give it that second L... Drillbur, done..
- Krokorok (give it that C! Krokorock!) and Krookodile..
- Tirtouga - Turtouga would've been better..
- Joltik - Joltick was probably again tooo hard..
- Eelektrik and Eelektross - Again.. What's wrong with a C? It's not Elektrik, it's Electric...
- Stunfisk.. AGAIN with the K.. Stunfish would've been a good name for Maggyo..
- Druddigon.. I don't know where to start on this one, but good job on ruining an otherwise cool pokemon.. Crimgan was from the start a great name, they could've changed it to Crimgon and it would've been fine.
- Mandibuzz - For a female only species' name to begin with 'man'.. Just rubs me in the wrong way..
- Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon.. Why the german references? Because of the Dark type? Dark = German? Well that's a new one! :S What would've been wrong with: Rudone, Twirudo, Thritality?

Note that I do find some of these puns worthwhile. Stunfish would've been good, it's just that some spellings just throw me off. Mandibuzz sounds like a cool name, if it weren't a female only species. Joltik, Eelektrik and Eelektross just need those C's in there for me to make sense, but I like the puns. Same thing with Tirtouga (u), and the Crookodile line.

Well, there's always the nickname option! I'll edit the names there when I catch them! xD

R_N
19th January 2011, 4:57 PM
Pokebeach says it's Bug Struggle and not Struggle Bug, for what it's worth.

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 5:04 PM
The one I'm most frustrated with, is Waruvial's English name: Krookodile. Being Dutch, we'll get to use the English names here as well.

What about Liepard and Drilbur? They are very alike the Dutch words for Leopard and Jackhammer. I'm not saying there is something wrong with that, I actually like those names for that same reason^_^

Bardische
19th January 2011, 5:05 PM
- Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon.. Why the german references? Because of the Dark type? Dark = German? Well that's a new one! :S What would've been wrong with: Rudone, Twirudo, Thritality?

Not to be an a**, but I don't think they chose German words to incorporate into their English names just because they are Dark-types. Hey, we're in the 21st century. Germany is already sane. Everyone is sane. I think you're overreacting with the word choice in their names. I mean, Uno, Duo and Trio would have been a bit cliche in a sense. I commend them for their choice. :/

I mean, that's a bit low thinking, to see a connection, like you're implying Germany still is an a** of a country :/

Again, no offense, just saying you're taking this way beyond the point of the usage of the words.

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 5:09 PM
Names I think that are sloppy:
- Eelektrik and Eelektross - Again.. What's wrong with a C? It's not Elektrik, it's Electric...

What is with you and the letter C? Why is it necessary? They're interchangeable, phonetically.

You're literally the only person to make that jump in logic. Are you even serious? Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres? That's like saying NoA is trying to say that all Spaniards fly or something. You can't possibly be serious.

R_N
19th January 2011, 5:31 PM
German numbers make great phonetic puns. That's probably the only reason.

LexSuicune
19th January 2011, 6:00 PM
lmfao. What does Germany have to do with Dark types? Why'd you go there? lol.

XXD17
19th January 2011, 6:03 PM
German numbers make great phonetic puns. That's probably the only reason.

I know this may be a bit out there but wasn't the double-headed eagle a German symbol http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy206/LimeJuiceToTheEye/double-headedeagle.png ? If you compare it with Hydreigon, they kind of look similar

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 6:25 PM
I know this may be a bit out there but wasn't the double-headed eagle a German symbol http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy206/LimeJuiceToTheEye/double-headedeagle.png ? If you compare it with Hydreigon, they kind of look similar

That's absolutely a bit out there. NoA uses different languages. Ein, zwei and drei fit well in their names. That's it.

As for the rest of these...

What makes them lousy?

Why is that necessary? It communicates the fact that it comes from Drill. NoA removes letters all the time to make names more 'namey' and more manageable. I don't see a problem.

Why is the C necessary at all? I doubt the names is referencing rocks. It's just a corruption of 'croc'.

How would it have been 'better'? It's essentially the same sound when spoken.

It wasn't too hard at all. The C is unnecessary.

- Eelektrik and Eelektross - Again.. What's wrong with a C? It's not Elektrik, it's Electric...[quote]
...Again. C and K are interchangeable in English. Happens all the time. What's the issue?
[quote]
Stunfish would be pretty lame. For the most part NoA doesn't make names with two words slapped together. Fisk is the word for fish in many Scandinavian languages, and it could also be fish + disk, referencing its flatness.

- Druddigon.. I don't know where to start on this one, but good job on ruining an otherwise cool pokemon.. Crimgan was from the start a great name, they could've changed it to Crimgon and it would've been fine.
It's practically the same meaning. Ruddy = Red. Dragon + Ruddy. How does it ruin Druddigon?

- Mandibuzz - For a female only species' name to begin with 'man'.. Just rubs me in the wrong way..
Fair enough. But it comes from mandible, as in jawbone. Not man.

Disregarding the stupidity of this post, I don't think there would be anything wrong with Rudone, Twirudo and Thritality. Lots of names would be acceptable with lots of Pokemon. But, shockingly, NoA can only pick one name for each Pokemon in each language. Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon fits the bill perfectly well.

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 6:31 PM
And "Ein, Zwei and Drei" also make different jokes that other "one, two and threes" can't make.
Deino looks like "Dino".
The "lous" in Zweilous may come from the word "zealous", which looks like it's name.
Hydreigon, the drei is a perfect bridge to combine the words "Hydra" and "Dragon" and when said, it sounds like Hydrogen, and it also sounds like the saying "High and dry"

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 6:35 PM
I don't think Hydreigon has any root in Hydrogen or 'High and Dry'. Neither has any real relation to the Pokemon. Coincidences, methinks.

Otherwise, yes, they do allow for more jokes.

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 6:41 PM
I don't think Hydreigon has any root in Hydrogen or 'High and Dry'. Neither has any real relation to the Pokemon. Coincidences, methinks.

Well, Hydrogen and "High and dry" could refer it's ability Levitate. Cause Hydrogen is lighter than air and "High and dry"....well...that speaks for itself.
And I don't really think it's coincidence(it could be)cause it's just NoA habit to put as many puns in a name.

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 6:43 PM
Seems to be a pretty huge stretch to me. You could find vague quasi-references like that in almost any Pokemon name. NoA doesn't exactly make name puns based on a Pokemon's ability.

Kokoromori
19th January 2011, 7:18 PM
I am a bit dissapointed with Woobat and Swoobat but...I couldn't really think of anything else it would have been.

Tropios
19th January 2011, 7:32 PM
I like the names, except for stoutland, because it means 'naughtyland' in Dutch.
That's just lame

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 7:34 PM
Entralink....I'm not really sure what to think about that name...I will probably get used to that name eventually, but I personaly liked High link more....oh well, it does haves a nice ring to it.

I like the names, except for stoutland, because it means 'naughtyland' in Dutch.
That's just lame

Yeah, I also have a problem with that name, but I just try to look at it in the English perspective, cause stout means about the same as brave and land probably comes from West Highland white terrier. The only addvice I could give you is just to not look at the name from the Dutch perspective. We all probably be used to it, and there is nothing to do about is :S(except for nicknaming it)

Sponge
19th January 2011, 7:41 PM
Am I the only person pronouncing Hydreigon as: High-dray-gon?

Is it wrong? It seems the most natural to me.....I guess I should go listen to some german number pronounciations.

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 7:45 PM
Am I the only person pronouncing Hydreigon as: High-dray-gon?

Is it wrong? It seems the most natural to me.....I guess I should go listen to some german number pronounciations.

If you're not so sure about it, just put "drei" into google translator choose german and then press on the listen button, it's pronounced about the same as "dry".

SasakiThePikachu
19th January 2011, 8:11 PM
I thought you'd be above that. But no, not really. It was either real or fake, and you happened to guess it right. Good work...?

Well, considering the Jp. name was Bug Opposition, and NoA liking to make rhymes/puns in names, I don't see an issue.

Yeah, like the starter beta art, there was a lot of argument over whether this was real or fake, and like the starter beta art, I had a gut feeling it was real. I only wanted to share a moment of pokemaniac joy that they turned out to be real, I wasn't asking for a medal for my genius. Sheesh.

Sheimi-Shamin - agree, I love the chinese-ness (that's not a word xD) of Mienfuu and Mienshao; it makes them sound really cool and classy! Does anyone here know if the names actually translate to anything? I'm curious what they mean...

I can't believe anyone would think that the german words in Monozu's line have any kind of connotations just because the pokemon are dark types. That is really, really far-reaching. And slightly absurd. Are we also to find out that the legendary birds have some kind of deep and meaningful link to spaniards?? No. Just...no.

XXD17
19th January 2011, 8:20 PM
T

Fair enough. But it comes from mandible, as in jawbone. Not man.

Also, Mandi is a female name...

Dracoste
19th January 2011, 8:31 PM
Sheimi-Shamin - agree, I love the chinese-ness (that's not a word xD) of Mienfuu and Mienshao; it makes them sound really cool and classy! Does anyone here know if the names actually translate to anything? I'm curious what they mean...

The "Shao" comes from shaolin kung foo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Kung_Fu). The "Mien" is a corruption of "ermine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat) which is a common name for the stoat. Sometimes "ermine" refers to the animal only when it has white fur in the winter, and "stoat" only refers to it when it has brown fur, and because Mienshao has mostly white colored fur it kinda fits.

yuzke
19th January 2011, 9:03 PM
i didnt get Audino ... Tabunne is way better ;(

Missingno.Fan
19th January 2011, 9:17 PM
i didnt get Audino ... Tabunne is way better ;(
It's a corruption of Audio because of it's ears