PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Dr. Leggs
19th January 2011, 8:17 PM
i didnt get Audino ... Tabunne is way better ;(

Audino is a pun on Audio, referencing Audino's exceptional hearing, and "I dunno", because the Jp. name was a pun referring to the phrase "probably, right?". It's a little pun in the same vein as Wynaut.

Sorry, Sasaki, that came out much more hostile than I attempted it too. Not trying to infringe on that or anything. Pardon. :s

I guess the thing about Stoutland that bothers me is that I usually hear stout in the context of 'short and fat', so that comes to mind usually... But it does also mean valiant or vigorous, so it fits well.

Sabonea_Masukippa
19th January 2011, 8:54 PM
And also a pun on 'I dunno.'

Tabunne seems to come from the word for ear lobe and a word for sound and also is a word that literally means something like 'probably, right?'

The name fits perfectly.

wearjo
20th January 2011, 12:07 AM
Dent will be renamed Broc (from Broccoli) and Iris will be renamed Mysti, from mystical for the English dub of BW.

mmmmm... how about no...

Maverik
20th January 2011, 12:14 AM
mmmmm... how about no...

I believe he was being sarcastic/joking, they won't actually go overboard with such a homage. Woobat was enough of a Kanto reference, and even that was vague.
That would be hilarious, though.

Master of Fossils
20th January 2011, 12:27 AM
i didnt get Audino ... Tabunne is way better ;(

So you liked Tubunne because you DID get it, right? >_>

Honestly I'm LOVING the new english name. Personally I'm a big fan of corruptions in pokemon names so naturally names like: Unfezant, Krookodile, Klinklang and Eelektrik please me.

Perhaps it's also the fact that the puns seem more......sophisticated than last gen. Maybe it's just me but just looking at the starters gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Turtwig, combo of turtle and twig. cool
Snivy, combo of snake and ivy + a stealth pun in that it also sounds like snide. awesome

Chimchar, combo of chimp and charred. again cool.
Tepig, combo of tepid and pig, the former of which is a much more advanced word than either chimp or char. sweet.

Piplup, yeah this one is probobly counteractive to the argument I'm trying to make.... xD
Oshawott, sophisticaed and it rolls of the tounge nicely. Plus we get a nice Revolver Oshawott Joke! Win.

I'm not sure that get's the point across but neadless to say, I'm much happier with names like Galvantula, Hydreigon and Reuniclus over names like Purugly and Lickilicky. (Not to say these names are bad, don't get me wrong I love practically every name as I've gotten used to some that I thought were iffy. I'm not trying to hate on gen 4 or anything.)

Disgruntled Goat
20th January 2011, 1:59 AM
The "Shao" comes from shaolin kung foo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Kung_Fu). The "Mien" is a corruption of "ermine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat) which is a common name for the stoat. Sometimes "ermine" refers to the animal only when it has white fur in the winter, and "stoat" only refers to it when it has brown fur, and because Mienshao has mostly white colored fur it kinda fits.
That's cool. 'Mien' also means someone's manner or expression, dunno if that factors in anyhow. Although I first read it as "mein" and assumed it was related to Chinese martial arts in some way...except mein means noodles :/

Well, considering the Jp. name was Bug Opposition, and NoA liking to make rhymes/puns in names, I don't see an issue.
I mean the phrase doesn't make sense (grammatically) as an attack. If it's "Bug Struggle" then that's okay - 'bug' ends up being the noun or adjective and 'struggle' is the verb, but the other way round doesn't fit. And PokeBeach says "Struggle Bug" now, too, so it's probably the final name.

Dr. Leggs
20th January 2011, 2:28 AM
Plenty of move names don't make sense grammatically. Supersonic, Meditate, Teleport etc.

BW202
20th January 2011, 2:43 AM
Ok, I'm really not getting Cofagrigus. I understand it, but I just don't see a big picture of the Pokemon like when I see the other names. It may be because I don't use the word egrigous in normal conversation. It really just doesn't appeal to me near as much as nearly all the other names.

A few others are Sewaddle, Swadloon, Scraggy, Scrafty and Karrablast. I understand what they mean (except Karrablast and Emolga), they just don't really match up to the Pokemon in my mind.

Dr. Leggs
20th January 2011, 2:54 AM
Karrablast comes from scarab (possibly), carabid (beetle, the kind it is based on) and blast (as in it blasts acid from its mouth).

R_N
20th January 2011, 3:31 AM
That's cool. 'Mien' also means someone's manner or expression, dunno if that factors in anyhow. Although I first read it as "mein" and assumed it was related to Chinese martial arts in some way...except mein means noodles :/

I mean the phrase doesn't make sense (grammatically) as an attack. If it's "Bug Struggle" then that's okay - 'bug' ends up being the noun or adjective and 'struggle' is the verb, but the other way round doesn't fit. And PokeBeach says "Struggle Bug" now, too, so it's probably the final name.

It's probably meant to pun off of and make you think of "Jitter Bug"

BCVM22
20th January 2011, 3:39 AM
It may be because I don't use the word egrigous in normal conversation.

You really should. It's a terrific word.

they just don't really match up to the Pokemon in my mind.

Because none of the names are more than a week old to any of our minds. If, somehow, we'd had the English names first, this wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Poke master 2.0
20th January 2011, 3:39 AM
i know it's a stupid question but i would like to hope so...

XXD17
20th January 2011, 3:44 AM
Ok, I'm really not getting Cofagrigus. I understand it, but I just don't see a big picture of the Pokemon like when I see the other names. It may be because I don't use the word egrigous in normal conversation. It really just doesn't appeal to me near as much as nearly all the other names.

A few others are Sewaddle, Swadloon, Scraggy, Scrafty and Karrablast. I understand what they mean (except Karrablast and Emolga), they just don't really match up to the Pokemon in my mind.

Sewaddle i believe is sew+swaddle (wrapping a baby in a blanket), Swadloon is swaddle+cocoon, Scraggy is scrappy+baggy but is also a real word meaning skinny or scrawny, and Scrafty is scrappy+crafty...

It's probably meant to pun off of and make you think of "Jitter Bug"

actually get this, there is slang term used during the 20's in America called "struggle buggy" which literally means the back seat of a car and we all know what goes on in the back seat of a car during a romantic night out ;)...I'm not making this up, the sexual connotation is actually associated with the word but the term is too outdated to be offensive anymore though...

pokeguru
20th January 2011, 3:46 AM
Haxorus.

That...that is honestly hilarious. I love it.

Not to mention, sounds cool.

BCVM22
20th January 2011, 3:47 AM
i know it's a stupid question but i would like to hope so...

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokeshifter.shtml

http://serebii.net/blackwhite/transfermachine.shtml

R_N
20th January 2011, 3:59 AM
actually get this, there is slang term used during the 20's in America called "struggle buggy" which literally means the back seat of a car and we all know what goes on in the back seat of a car during a romantic night out ;)...I'm not making this up, the sexual connotation is actually associated with the word but the term is too outdated to be offensive anymore though...

:O

This is surprising and very interesting information that will go flying over like everyone's heads!

Grei
20th January 2011, 4:01 AM
How does Erufuun look like an elephant?

... Oops. I saw the "Eru--" and thought of elephant. I meant lamb.

Either way, Whimsicott doesn't seem to describe its basis very well (unless, like, the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary was capricious or something).

R_N
20th January 2011, 4:23 AM

Either way, Whimsicott doesn't seem to describe its basis very well (unless, like, the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary was capricious or something).

Well, neither did its japanese name. It referenced elves, typhoons, and possibly floating.

Also, this is Capricorn
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Capricorn2.jpg/220px-Capricorn2.jpg

And you don't see how this
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6d/Spr_5b_547.png
Loveable, happy, playful ball of fluff that's carried off by winds going who knows where and play pranks on others with a Mischievous Heart allowing it to erratically alter its attack pattern/bracket could be whimsical?

BW202
20th January 2011, 4:41 AM

I really could care less if it made reference to the Lamb of Tartay. It was a great thing to design it after, but Whimsicott imo is a PERFECT name for the fluff ball.

I'm still mad they named Monmen Cottonee and not Fluffloat :.(

LimeStar
20th January 2011, 4:50 AM
I really could care less if it made reference to the Lamb of Tartay. It was a great thing to design it after, but Whimsicott imo is a PERFECT name for the fluff ball.

I'm still mad they named Monmen Cottonee and not Fluffloat :.(
You mean you COULDN'T care less. Could and couldn't are opposites, so when you mix them up like that, you say the opposite of what you mean.

Also, Fluffloat is a pretty cool name for it, but there really isn't anything wrong with Cottonee, though it doesn't sound like you're whining or anything, which is nice.

Grei
20th January 2011, 4:54 AM
Well, neither did its japanese name. It referenced elves, typhoons, and possibly floating.

Also, this is Capricorn
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Capricorn2.jpg/220px-Capricorn2.jpg

And you don't see how this
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6d/Spr_5b_547.png
Loveable, happy, playful ball of fluff that's carried off by winds going who knows where and play pranks on others with a Mischievous Heart allowing it to erratically alter its attack pattern/bracket could be whimsical?

I agree, it's whimsical. I'm not saying the name doesn't fit, just that... it could have described its basis a little more. I suppose I would have just named it something a little different. Without a reference to its lamb-like qualities, it almost feels like the lamb qualities are pointless. Like, as if one could remove those qualities and have a Pokemon that was virtually no different at all.

*runs away before others come in and claim that this can apply to X amount of other Pokemon, as that's not the point*

R_N
20th January 2011, 5:04 AM
But it does reference the lamb roots

Just in a really roundabout way

Luxrayess
20th January 2011, 5:07 AM
But it does reference the lamb roots

Just in a really roundabout way

Well, it was based on a mythical creature that was based on a lamb, but I forget what. Not a satyr or a faun, though.

BW202
20th January 2011, 5:07 AM
You mean you COULDN'T care less. Could and couldn't are opposites, so when you mix them up like that, you say the opposite of what you mean.

Also, Fluffloat is a pretty cool name for it, but there really isn't anything wrong with Cottonee, though it doesn't sound like you're whining or anything, which is nice.

Ya, I'm not whining, I like the name Cottonee too. I just thought it was a good name I came up with, and hearing a floating cotton ball in the anime saying "Fluffloat" would be extremely humorous to me. I was joking around for the most part.

Rikudo Sennin
20th January 2011, 6:07 AM
Whimsicott is awesome, end of story. Anyone that doesn't like the name or the pokemon itself has NO HEART.
That cute fluffy thing is the cutest....cute fluffy thing ever lol.

But now that the names are almost definitely confirmed - there's no shadow of a doubt in my mind anymore - it makes me feel better about them. I'm starting to open up to most of them, so I can't wait to get my hands on the english version now xDD

Crystal_Power
20th January 2011, 8:50 AM
*Gasp* The list is most likely very true! lol xD

oh, well. PokeBeach posted the names again with their sprites and plus Pokemonblackandwhite.net has the sideshow. But being able to see the list of the names with the Pokemon helps a lot. Though I have to honest some still aren't good, but the Japanese name was good either so I was hoping for a miracle. I'm trying to think of Simisage as Sehm-sage. >.<

Edit: Oh, here's the list with the names and Pokemon sprite on PB. http://pokebeach.com/2011/01/potential-english-black-and-white-pokemon-names

Audino is a pun on Audio, referencing Audino's exceptional hearing, and "I dunno", because the Jp. name was a pun referring to the phrase "probably, right?". It's a little pun in the same vein as Wynaut.

Sorry, Sasaki, that came out much more hostile than I attempted it too. Not trying to infringe on that or anything. Pardon. :s

I guess the thing about Stoutland that bothers me is that I usually hear stout in the context of 'short and fat', so that comes to mind usually... But it does also mean valiant or vigorous, so it fits well.

Thinking of the "I dunno" reference makes Audino's name more cute for some reason. I said it before but thinking of Audio makes it seem like it's some robot or transformer to me Hahaha!

Lorde
20th January 2011, 11:39 AM
Edit: Oh, here's the list with the names and Pokemon sprite on PB. http://pokebeach.com/2011/01/potential-english-black-and-white-pokemon-names

Thanks for that list, C_P! I've been looking for something like this for a few days now. I saw a signature that had the pictures of the Generation 5 Pokemon with their English names, but I couldn't really use it since the image changed every 3 seconds. Anyway, I think I'll study this list so that I memorize the names. I really liked the name Futachimaru, so getting used to Dewott with take some time; I'm guessing it's a combination of dew and otter. Memorizing the names of the evolved forms of the elemental monkeys shouldn't be too hard; just remove "Pan" and add in "Simi". Roggenrola is punny, so that should be a name I can remember easily too. *Browses list some more...*

Ophie
20th January 2011, 11:40 AM
"Audio" is from the Latin word audire, meaning "hear." Though we associate it with machines today, the word obviously began without any relation to them. In addition to "audio" and "audial," there's also the word "auditorium," a place you go to hear someone speak; and "audience," the listeners.

I like the names, except for stoutland, because it means 'naughtyland' in Dutch.
That's just lame

That sounds like the name of some strip club.

No, that's how the idiom goes--"I could care less" is correct.

Dr. Leggs
20th January 2011, 11:58 AM
No, that's how the idiom goes--"I could care less" is correct.

It goes both ways; traditionally people say "I could care less" with a sarcastic intonation (LimeStar, sarcasm much?), but if we're going for literal meanings then "I couldn't care less" fits the bill. Either way, the idiom gets the message across either way so it matters not.

But, Grei... It does apply to a lot of other Pokemon. I don't see how it's not the point at all. It's a whimsical cotton entity, which somewhat describes the Tartary lamb.

Shneak
20th January 2011, 4:07 PM
Roggenrola
Scraggy
Sigilyph
Trubbish
Vanilluxe
Escavalier
Klink/Klang/Klingklang
Volcarona
Virizion

are among my favorite names.

Disgruntled Goat
20th January 2011, 4:31 PM
Ha, nice one. The name does make a little more sense if you think of the entire thing as one noun. (Also at whoever it was, yes Teleport and Meditate make perfect sense as moves, because they are single verbs.)

Thanks for that list, C_P! I've been looking for something like this for a few days now.
Um, pretty sure at least two other versions of that were already posted days ago but whatever.

Tropios
20th January 2011, 4:54 PM
That sounds like the name of some strip club.

great, now i'll not only have to battle naughty countries, but also stripclubs

LexSuicune
20th January 2011, 5:13 PM
My favourite so far have to be Unfezant, Vanilluxe, Audino, Lilligant, Carracosta, Accelgor, Hydreigon and Volcarona.

They fit wonderfully.

Dr. Leggs
20th January 2011, 5:33 PM
Favourite English names would have to be:

-Zebstrika
-Sigilyph
-Duosion
-Vanillite line
-Escavalier
-Jellicent
-Ferroseed
-Galvantula
-Klink line
-Elgyem line
-Litwick line
-Cryogonal
-Accelgor
-Druddigon
-Pawniard line
-Deino line
-Larvesta

Least favourite:
-Throh/Sawk
-Emolga (I preferred Emonga)
-Karrablast (the blast seems kinda irrelevant, I feel like Skarrapace/Skarapace would fit better. I'm over it now, though)
-Golurk (lurk doesn't make much sense to me, I also loved the fan-name Ghoulem)

Not bad names, they just irk me a teeny bit. Overall I love the names.

I like most of the English names. XD

Exodd
20th January 2011, 7:33 PM
Ghoulem might sound too much like Golem, though I gues Golett is close anyway. The name Emolga doesn't seem to make sense. Probably coincidence, but did anyone else notice Emonga backwards is Agnome?

Jolteon91
20th January 2011, 7:47 PM
I'm still of the opinion it was quite pointless just adding a 'p' into Archeos' name, but meh, I'll get over it, it is still the most awesome Gen V Pokemon.

Lorde
20th January 2011, 9:13 PM
Um, pretty sure at least two other versions of that were already posted days ago but whatever.

If you're referring to the list that you've linked to in your signature, then I already saw that several days ago. I just found it to be useless since it didn't show the images of the Generation 5 Pokemon all at once (like the list that was linked to by C_P) and because it didn't include Japanese names all at once, which would have made things a lot easier. I like that other list because I don't have to click on each Pokemon's name just to view the image and Japanese name.

Ghoulem might sound too much like Golem, though I gues Golett is close anyway. The name Emolga doesn't seem to make sense. Probably coincidence, but did anyone else notice Emonga backwards is Agnome?

What's wrong with the name Emolga? I hope people still aren't under the impression that the name is misspelled.

Dracoste
20th January 2011, 9:36 PM
If you're referring to the list that you've linked to in your signature, then I already saw that several days ago. I just found it to be useless since it didn't show the images of the Generation 5 Pokemon all at once (like the list that was linked to by C_P) and because it didn't include Japanese names all at once, which would have made things a lot easier. I like that other list because I don't have to click on each Pokemon's name just to view the image and Japanese name.

I think he could refer to posts like:

But this (http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/black-white) is much easier to remember the names, cause it contains pictures along with the names from said list.
on page 274

And I found this link on page 260 that was posted by RichUncleSkeleton on 15th January.

Cobalt_Latios
20th January 2011, 9:42 PM
I know most of these are "rumored" English names, but I'm having a surprisingly difficult time pronouncing some of them. Some of them sound alright, but some of them have a very sharp name that doesn't completely flow... if that makes any sense.

Although, I do love Serperior for Jalorda.

/CL

Lorde
20th January 2011, 9:46 PM
I think he could refer to posts like:

on page 274

And I found this link on page 260 that was posted by RichUncleSkeleton on 15th January.

That's the same link that is in his signature. That's the same list that I talked about in my previous post.

I know most of these are "rumored" English names, but I'm having a surprisingly difficult time pronouncing some of them. Some of them sound alright, but some of them have a very sharp name that doesn't completely flow... if that makes any sense.

/CL

Pronunciation is important, but I haven't had much trouble with that, personally. The only English name pronunciation that I'm sort of confused about is the pronunciation of the name Watchog. Is it pronounced "watch-og" or "watch-hog"? I get the reference to watching and groundhog, but the pronunciation is a little tricky.

Larry
20th January 2011, 9:49 PM

/CL

It doesn't flow because well they're new

Dracoste
20th January 2011, 9:50 PM
That's the same link in his signature. That's the same list that I talked about in my previous post :|

But that list has pictures of the pokémons and the English name, just like that list from Pb. you only have to press one little button: "Turn on images >>"

scythemantis
20th January 2011, 10:02 PM
-Karrablast (the blast seems kinda irrelevant, I feel like Skarrapace/Skarapace would fit better. I'm over it now, though

I love those names (I wish I thought of them for my own scarab monster!), but the "Karrab" in Karrablast isn't from Scarab, but "Carabid!" Carabids are predatory ground beetles, some of which are special for eating nothing but snails and having bodies specifically shaped to reach inside of snail shells. :)

http://myrmecos.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/friday-beetle-blogging-scaphinotus-snail-beetle/

Karrablast doesn't look that much like one, no, but it doesn't look that much like any real beetle. The "blast" definitely does seem meaningless, but I guess it just turns "Carabid" into something more "cool."

Jagged
20th January 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm still having difficulty understanding what words Oshawott is based from, as well as Futachimaru's rumoured name Dewott.

Daikenki's rumoured name Samurott is pretty cool and I'm glad it sounds cool. Other rumoured names I like are Unfezant, Sigilyph, Braviary and the Dark-Dragon line.

Cobalt_Latios
20th January 2011, 10:16 PM
Upon looking at that list, there's a few more that I like:
- Zebstrika
- Archeops
- Foongus/Amoongus (fungus among us)
- Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure :D I love these names. Especially "Chandelure"

Tirtouga is interesting, because I named my original Torterra "Tortuga" based on the location in PotC.

It'll take some time, but I'll get used to them.

/CL

Tyrannotaur
20th January 2011, 10:28 PM
I love those names (I wish I thought of them for my own scarab monster!), but the "Karrab" in Karrablast isn't from Scarab, but "Carabid!" Carabids are predatory ground beetles, some of which are special for eating nothing but snails and having bodies specifically shaped to reach inside of snail shells. :)

http://myrmecos.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/friday-beetle-blogging-scaphinotus-snail-beetle/

Karrablast doesn't look that much like one, no, but it doesn't look that much like any real beetle. The "blast" definitely does seem meaningless, but I guess it just turns "Carabid" into something more "cool."

Yes. Whats also cool is when you trade a Karablast for a Shellmet, the Karablast evolves into Escavalier and has snail like armor now, while the Shellmet evolves into Accelgor. Its almost as if during the trade Karablast ate Shellmet and kept his armor, thus turning Shellmet into a ninja. Pretty morbid stuff really. EDIT- Whoops, here I am thinking Accelgor is a bug/ghost type. Sorry my mistake. All fixed. Though now that I realize he isn't a ghost, its more like Karrablast steals the armor and Shelmett is forced to evolve to something faster to survive, that being a ninja.

I'm still having difficulty understanding what words Oshawott is based from, as well as Futachimaru's rumoured name Dewott.

Oshawott is Ocean+Water+Otter. Ocea from Ocean make up the Osha that confuses everyone. Dewott is Dew+Otter, also there is the word Duo in there meaning 2, that could be referencing his two shells or his second stage in a evolution line.

-;248;

Ariaces
20th January 2011, 10:37 PM
Well Accelgore isn't really a ghost. It's more like Karrablast hunt Shellmets to evolve and become stronger. They use the armour to better effectiveness than Shellmet and the 'naked' Shellmet is now far faster because it practically had weighted training for all its life.
Speaking of which, does anyone know where the 'gore' originates? Another species name or just gore for gore?

scythemantis
20th January 2011, 10:39 PM
It would be SO freaking cool if Accelgor was ghost type.

I can't figure out the latter half of its name either, though.

Ariaces
20th January 2011, 10:45 PM
For Karrablast the blast may come from its ability to shoot acid.
Bug/Dark might've been good for Accelgore because of the ninja basis.

Pokenator123
20th January 2011, 11:18 PM
Yes. Whats also cool is when you trade a Karablast for a Shellmet, the Karablast evolves into Escavalier and has snail like armor now, while the Shellmet evolves into Accelgor. Its almost as if during the trade Karablast ate Shellmet and kept his armor, thus turning Shellmet into a ninja. Pretty morbid stuff really. EDIT- Whoops, here I am thinking Accelgor is a bug/ghost type. Sorry my mistake. All fixed. Though now that I realize he isn't a ghost, its more like Karrablast steals the armor and Shelmett is forced to evolve to something faster to survive, that being a ninja.
;

Or maybe karablast did eat the shelmet and it turned into some super ninja karablast crap :P

Locormus
20th January 2011, 11:41 PM
What about Liepard and Drilbur? They are very alike the Dutch words for Leopard and Jackhammer. I'm not saying there is something wrong with that, I actually like those names for that same reason^_^

Well.. I just get the puns I guess..

Liepard = Luipaard (Leopard in Dutch)
&
Drilbur = Drilboor (Jackhammer in Dutch)

I guess I know that the 'Lie' part in Liepard comes from 'to lie' referencing it's Dark type, and Drilbur's name comes from 'To drill' and 'To burrow'.

Not to be an a**, but I don't think they chose German words to incorporate into their English names just because they are Dark-types. Hey, we're in the 21st century. Germany is already sane. Everyone is sane. I think you're overreacting with the word choice in their names. I mean, Uno, Duo and Trio would have been a bit cliche in a sense. I commend them for their choice. :/

I mean, that's a bit low thinking, to see a connection, like you're implying Germany still is an a** of a country :/

Again, no offense, just saying you're taking this way beyond the point of the usage of the words.

Lol, overreacting yeah, probably! xD I have some friends in Germany and been there a couple of times, so I (being Dutch and our history and all (not to mention our soccer rivalry)) have no problem with Germans. I'm just trying to bounce some ideas of you guys about what NoA could've thought when they chose the German numerals. Uno, Duo and Trio would've been cliché, I agree, that's why I went with 'one', 'twice', and 'thrice'.

What is with you and the letter C? Why is it necessary? They're interchangeable, phonetically.

You're literally the only person to make that jump in logic. Are you even serious? Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres? That's like saying NoA is trying to say that all Spaniards fly or something. You can't possibly be serious.

The C and the K are interchangeble phonetically, I know, but especially in the case of Joltik, I think it would've been stylistically better just to have the C in there. With names like Feraligatr it had to be excused due to the 10char limit, but here I just don't see the reason.

Also, there's Electabuzz, Electrode, Manectric. Why the sudden switch to K in Eelektrik and Eelektross?

It's just a stylistic thing, something they've stylistically done in the past and for some reason discontinued this generation. It isn't about pronounciation, as it is for stylistics when reading. I bet you would frown as well if you saw Cloyster (if it were a new pokemon) being spelled as Kloyster. The pun wouldn't be correct (clamp and oyster). In some names it's acceptable, such as Shiftry. The pun comes from Shifty and Tree, referencing both its types, but in the cases of Joltik, Eelektrik and Eelektross they clearly made a choice that had nothing to do with a pun as far as I can tell, they even make the pun less sound..

That's what my problem is with the C being missing in action, or should I say aktion?

I'm glad I'm the only person to kome to that konklusion. Being unique is a good thing. I can manage to bring stuff to diskussion from a different perspektive. That's a good thing.

German numbers make great phonetic puns. That's probably the only reason.

Could be, but when you look at the following post...

Am I the only person pronouncing Hydreigon as: High-dray-gon?

Is it wrong? It seems the most natural to me.....I guess I should go listen to some german number pronounciations.

That scares me.. I lived in America, so I know a little, but I'm just scared that people would pronounce the names as:

Day-no - Zwee-lous - High-dray-gon

When it should be:

DI-no ('I' as in Dry) - TswI-lous (again 'I' as in Dry) - He-dry-gon.

That mispronounciation and along with having to have studied German for five years and having to speak it with an accent, I'm crying to here a thick American accent uttering german words.. I've heard them do it before.. Even worse with French. A friend of mine said he read 'Les Miserables' and actually pronounced it as if they were American words, instead of Le (as in 'to let') Mesurablu (Me as in Me, myself and I)(su as in 'Sir')(A as in 'Ammend')(Blu as in 'Blood')

R_N
20th January 2011, 11:43 PM
I think it would have been more interesting if Karablast & Accelgor were part dark type. The former is a sneaky thief, the later is out for dark revenge

Also for something that shoots acid Karablast certainly does not have a single acid-esque attack.

SasakiThePikachu
20th January 2011, 11:54 PM
Oh bother, I just realised now that name list is *practically* confirmed I have to go and memorise the entire thing. I spent most of the 4th gen not knowing what was what because I was too lazy to learn.

Game: Cynthia is about to use Gastrodon. Do you want to switch pokemon?
Me: Oh hell. I have no idea what Gastrodon is. o.O Sounds like a poison type...

And so on. It also didn't help that I nicknamed.

@ Locormus...people are going to mispronounce those names. A lot. It is sad but inevitable.
@ Dracoste...oooh. Thanks for the chinese lesson. I love those pokemon... xD

matt0044
20th January 2011, 11:57 PM
@ Locormus...people are going to mispronounce those names. A lot. It is sad but inevitable.

They could watch the Anime, Pokemon BW, to see how they pronounce them.

Disgruntled Goat
21st January 2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah shoulda said to click the "show images" link. I do it like that to cut down loading time but maybe I should make it obvious. Ther's also this image I saw on reddit: http://i.imgur.com/L5z5B.jpg

Cobalt_Latios
21st January 2011, 1:30 AM
Well Accelgore isn't really a ghost. It's more like Karrablast hunt Shellmets to evolve and become stronger. They use the armour to better effectiveness than Shellmet and the 'naked' Shellmet is now far faster because it practically had weighted training for all its life.
Speaking of which, does anyone know where the 'gore' originates? Another species name or just gore for gore?
Well, the secondary definitions refers to:

"A triangular or tapering piece of cloth forming a part of something, as in a skirt or sail."

That scares me.. I lived in America, so I know a little, but I'm just scared that people would pronounce the names as:

When it should be:

I'll be bluntly honest here, I've always known 'ei' to equal "ay", as it's usually how I've heard it pronounced in other uses of it, like say... "reign" or "reindeer". I would have never thought of it like "ai" like "Raichu" or Raikou for instance. Although, for Hydreigon it would make more sense because it is a Hydra/Dragon. So that's where that pronunciation would work.

Even worse with French. A friend of mine said he read 'Les Miserables' and actually pronounced it as if they were American words, instead of Le (as in 'to let') Mesurablu (Me as in Me, myself and I)(su as in 'Sir')(A as in 'Ammend')(Blu as in 'Blood')
Seeing as I'm quite fluent in French, my pronunciation of things may be affected somewhat, as to explain myself a bit. In the case of "Les Misérables", that's pretty much how I would have pronounced it.

They could watch the Anime, Pokemon BW, to see how they pronounce them.
Yeah, but most of the trickier names are of Pokemon that have yet to actually appear in this anime.

So, I've noticed that most of the names I've had trouble with were because I know they can be pronounced a number of ways and aren't sure which is the right one to use. In doubt, I'm probably going to use the one that doesn't force me to develop a speech impediment attempting to pronounce some of them.

/CL

scythemantis
21st January 2011, 1:37 AM
I just wonder why Shelmet isn't bug/steel before it evolves.

Shneak
21st January 2011, 1:47 AM
Oh bother, I just realised now that name list is *practically* confirmed I have to go and memorise the entire thing. I spent most of the 4th gen not knowing what was what because I was too lazy to learn.

Game: Cynthia is about to use Gastrodon. Do you want to switch pokemon?
Me: Oh hell. I have no idea what Gastrodon is. o.O Sounds like a poison type...

And so on. It also didn't help that I nicknamed.

@ Dracoste...oooh. Thanks for the chinese lesson. I love those pokemon... xD

You didn't encounter a Gastrodon at all until the Pokemon League?

lindsy95
21st January 2011, 2:03 AM
They said they hadn't memorized the names. It's possible that they ran into one before and didn't remember Gastrodon.

bugcatchersdream
21st January 2011, 2:24 AM

When it should be:

That mispronounciation and along with having to have studied German for five years and having to speak it with an accent, I'm crying to here a thick American accent uttering german words.. I've heard them do it before.. Even worse with French. A friend of mine said he read 'Les Miserables' and actually pronounced it as if they were American words, instead of Le (as in 'to let') Mesurablu (Me as in Me, myself and I)(su as in 'Sir')(A as in 'Ammend')(Blu as in 'Blood')
Zweilous is actually pronounced TsvI-lus.
Anyway...
Hasn't anyone thought that Drillbur and Excadrill could refer to burrow and excavate, instead of Excalibur?

BCVM22
21st January 2011, 2:36 AM
Who thinks the names are referring to Excalibur?

Missingno. Master
21st January 2011, 2:36 AM
Realized something. Zubat is no longer the last Pokemon in alphabetical order. The honor now goes to Zweilous!

BCVM22: The idea that Drilbur and Excadrill's English names may have come from Excalibur has been brought up at least once here, and several times on other Pokemon forums. Personally I just think they were going for drill+burrow and excavate+drill.

BW202
21st January 2011, 2:37 AM
Hasn't anyone thought that Drillbur and Excadrill could refer to burrow and excavate, instead of Excalibur?

Well it is NoA so it most likely references both. If not, I'm sure excavate and burrow were the intended meanings before the way less obvious Excalibur reference.

EDIT: @BCVM It's only been brought up a couple times, it's kinda far fetched but it works.

bugcatchersdream
21st January 2011, 2:38 AM
Who thinks the names are referring to Excalibur?

Well, that's what a lot of people thought the names were referring to about 3 days ago.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 2:46 AM
Multiple meanings are the beauty of these names. I believe excalibur, excavate, drill, and burrow were all intended.

Dr. Leggs
21st January 2011, 2:48 AM
Is it pronounced "watch-og" or "watch-hog"? I get the reference to watching and groundhog, but the pronunciation is a little tricky.
I see people asking this but it doesn't make much sense. When you're speaking at normal speed and saying 'Watchog', the pronunciation is practically indistinguishable; 'Watch-og' basically sounds the same because the end of the 'ch' sounds like an h sound anyway. Try saying it out loud; unless you're speaking very slowly it's difficult to distinguish between them.

The C and the K are interchangeble phonetically, I know, but especially in the case of Joltik, I think it would've been stylistically better just to have the C in there.
I don't see how it would be stylistically better. Why include the C when it isn't necessary? It honestly looks better to me as it is.

Also, there's Electabuzz, Electrode, Manectric. Why the sudden switch to K in Eelektrik and Eelektross?
Quite possibly so one could differentiate between them; they don't want names looking too similar to one another, so that may be a reason. Not to mention many names in the past have gone the other way: Kakuna, Kadabra, Marowak, Koffing, Magikarp, Spinarak, Slakoth, Torkoal, Kricketot, Kricketune, Honchkrow. It's certainly happened more times than not; you're ignoring the other side.

It's just a stylistic thing, something they've stylistically done in the past and for some reason discontinued this generation. It isn't about pronounciation, as it is for stylistics when reading. I bet you would frown as well if you saw Cloyster (if it were a new pokemon) being spelled as Kloyster. The pun wouldn't be correct (clamp and oyster). In some names it's acceptable, such as Shiftry. The pun comes from Shifty and Tree, referencing both its types, but in the cases of Joltik, Eelektrik and Eelektross they clearly made a choice that had nothing to do with a pun as far as I can tell, they even make the pun less sound..
That doesn't make sense. They're interchangeable phonetically; thus it reads the same way. I don't see how the pun is affected in any way. It still sounds the same.

Also, even if keeping the C as opposed to K was a more common thing, you're talking as if NoA isn't permitted to change their naming style in any fashion, which they've most certainly done. Saying all spellings of the C/K sound ought to be done with C when the word is spelled that way is like saying Sigilyph should be Sigiliph because it's Onix, not Onyx.

Long and short of it is that it doesn't make sense.

When it should be:

That mispronounciation and along with having to have studied German for five years and having to speak it with an accent, I'm crying to here a thick American accent uttering german words.. I've heard them do it before.. Even worse with French.

People pronounce things wrong. All the time. It's nothing new. Pokemon names, doubly so. That's no reason at all to change three perfectly good, sensible names.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 3:00 AM
Funny how people nitpick on "C" and "K" having different places- come on. You'd be complaining if they had done what you wished, and remember that Pokemon is aiming to impress prepubescent kids. Although they're pronounced the same- Eelectross and Eelektross- the latter seems more fun to read because of how the letter "k" looks in the name. It's a silly thing to nitpick on.

BCVM22
21st January 2011, 3:08 AM
It's a silly thing to nitpick on.

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games...

darkgamerGS
21st January 2011, 3:19 AM

Daikenki's rumoured name Samurott is pretty cool and I'm glad it sounds cool. Other rumoured names I like are Unfezant, Sigilyph, Braviary and the Dark-Dragon line.

Braviary isn't a rumor, it's on the official site... and after the latest reveals (Alomomola, Excadrill, Sewaddle,) which also match what's on this list, it's pretty much confirmed that this list isn't rumors, now.

Locormus
21st January 2011, 5:17 AM
I forgot to quote this in my last post, but I think I owe it to you since you went through most of it.

As for the rest of these...

Roggenrola and Boldore

Question: What makes them lousy?
Answer: I think Boldore is to similar to boulder phonetically. And I think that they don't matchup as nice in a line. Roggenrola seems a bit extravagant to me, especially for a rock with an eye on it, it makes Boldore seem like a boring name in comparison to Gigalith: Roggenrola -> Boldore -> Gigalith.

Drilbur

Question: Why is that necessary? It communicates the fact that it comes from Drill. NoA removes letters all the time to make names more 'namey' and more manageable. I don't see a problem.
Answer: NoA removes letters when the 10charlimit comes into play mostly, or when it fits a pun better (i.e.: Feraligatr/Victreebel and Shiftry(y instead of ee)). The only one I could give you is Marowak. There's no such ordeal here though, as whack isn't used in any other names if I'm not mistaken. In the past and even it's evolution have 'drill' spelled out: Excadrill and Beedrill, even Fearow's Jap. name: Onidrill. That's why I don't know why adding that L would've been such a hard call..

Krokorok and Krookodile

Question: Why is the C necessary at all? I doubt the names is referencing rocks. It's just a corruption of 'croc'.
Answer: Again, the pun (obviously meant to be on Crook and Crocodile) would resound better if the first K in Krookodile would be a C. Corruptions aren't good things and there are actually only a few iirc, Wailmer, Wailord and Skorupi (imo an unfateful mix up with the japanese Scorpi) being among them. Why do they need to use a K this time around when they've used the C for similar puns: Croconaw

Tirtouga

Question: How would it have been 'better'? It's essentially the same sound when spoken.
Answer: It's the pun again. The pun is either Turtle, or Tortoise, not Tirtle.. It just doesn't feel complete and doesn't resound when read. When pronounced it's the same, but when I read the name it just becomes jarring to my eyes.

Joltik

It wasn't too hard at all. The C is unnecessary.

Explained in my previous post. Unnecessary phonetically, to make the literary pun correct: necessary.

Eelektrik and Eelektross

...Again. C and K are interchangeable in English. Happens all the time. What's the issue?

Explained in my previous post.

Stunfisk

Stunfish would be pretty lame. For the most part NoA doesn't make names with two words slapped together. Fisk is the word for fish in many Scandinavian languages, and it could also be fish + disk, referencing its flatness.

Okay, I agree, there's reasoning to that. But again, Luvdisc..

It's like I said a bunch of times already. For some odd reason, the guys at NoA have suddenly decided to use the K where they'd otherwise mostly use a C in previous generations. Skarmory and Skorupi being exceptional.

Druddigon

Question: It's practically the same meaning. Ruddy = Red. Dragon + Ruddy. How does it ruin Druddigon?
Answer: Hmm.. I didn't know that about Ruddy. It makes sense. I still think that Crimgan was a nicer sounding name. It has a stronger tone.

Mandibuzz

Fair enough. But it comes from mandible, as in jawbone. Not man.

Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon

Disregarding the stupidity of this post, I don't think there would be anything wrong with Rudone, Twirudo and Thritality. Lots of names would be acceptable with lots of Pokemon. But, shockingly, NoA can only pick one name for each Pokemon in each language. Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon fits the bill perfectly well.

About Mandibuzz I can say I was wrong. The pun is sound, and I have to admit that I didn't get it at first. I like the pun, but I still think the 'man' part is a bit awkward.

Concerning the Dragon.. Yeah.. Previous post.. I'm concerned about the pronounciation mostly. One person was already questioning if Hydreigon should be pronounced as Highdraygon.. brrrr.. That's just wrong...

R_N
21st January 2011, 5:25 AM
Why look at the "Man" part of Mandibuzz when it has Mandi in it

You know

Like "Mandy?" Seems kind of insulting to any Mandys out there to focus on the Man part of it, honestly.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st January 2011, 5:57 AM
Answer: Again, the pun (obviously meant to be on Crook and Crocodile) would resound better if the first K in Krookodile would be a C. Corruptions aren't good things and there are actually only a few iirc, Wailmer, Wailord and Skorupi (imo an unfateful mix up with the japanese Scorpi) being among them. Why do they need to use a K this time around when they've used the C for similar puns: Croconaw

To borrow from Dr. Leggs:
Kakuna, Kadabra, Marowak, Koffing, Magikarp, Spinarak, Slakoth, Torkoal, Kricketot, Kricketune, Honchkrow

All of these could be spelled using 'c's'.

Cocoona/Cokuna/Cocuna, Cadabra, Marowac/Marrowhack/Marowack, Coffing, Magicarp, Spinarac, Slackoth, Torcoal, Cricketot, Cricketune, Honchcrow.
Also, Scarmoury, Scorupi, Arboc, Blazicken, Crabby, Muck/Muc, Slacking.

Does anyone else have a problem with how some of those look? What about these\/

Drillbur
Crocoroc/Crokoroc/Crocorok etc
Crookodile
Turtouga
Joltic
Eelectric/Eelektric/Eelectrik
Eelectross

Also if you're going to argue corruptions aren't good things I'm gonna do this:
Aipom --> Apalm
Ambipom --> Ambipalm
Azelf --> Uself
Buizel --> Bouysel
Claydol --> Claydoll
Croconaw --> Crocognaw
Cyndaquil --> Cinderquill
Farfetch'd --> Farfetched
Floatzel --> Floatsel
Porygon --> Polygon
Snorunt --> Snowrunt

And so on.

Siphodeus
21st January 2011, 8:06 AM
they really went overboard with the double R's

Ophie
21st January 2011, 10:30 AM
On top of that, the Kremlings in the Donkey Kong Country games, who are based on the same animals, pride themselves on the letter K and put them wherever they can on anything associated with them. No one has a problem with that.

I actually see the resemblance: Stout oval body shape and a dark blue color. Apparently, these beetles are flightless as well. Of course, it looks like that beetle uses its mandibles to get inside the snail shell whereas Karrablast uses its horn.

I don't think Deino's name will be a problem. Well, at least as long as dinosaurs remain popular among little kids. I think most will see the word "dino" in it and know to pronounce it as "DIE-no." In addition, the kids who are dinosaur fans (I was one when I was little) would likely be familiar with the deinonychus (and rightly so--the Terrible Claw was one of the toughest punks of the Mesozoic), whose first two syllables are pronounced exactly the same.

People pronouncing Deino's name as "DEE-no" would be more likely, as it's a first name and is how the Flintstones character's name is pronounced. Of course, most kids nowadays only know of The Flintstones through the vitamin tablets and Pebbles cereal.

Realized something. Zubat is no longer the last Pokemon in alphabetical order. The honor now goes to Zweilous!

Oh wow, that's right. Abomasnow supplanted Abra's position, but Zubat's name is a lot harder because U is already near the end of the alphabet.

In addition, Jellicent is the first fully-evolved Pokémon to start with the letter J since Generation 2.

Dr. Leggs
21st January 2011, 12:52 PM
I think Boldore is to similar to boulder phonetically. And I think that they don't matchup as nice in a line. Roggenrola seems a bit extravagant to me, especially for a rock with an eye on it, it makes Boldore seem like a boring name in comparison to Gigalith: Roggenrola -> Boldore -> Gigalith.
Eh, I can agree with that. Roggenrola comes from the fact that the 'eye' is actually an ear, making it more akin to a loudspeaker system. Thus, Rock 'n' roller is a part of the pun.

It's the pun again. The pun is either Turtle, or Tortoise, not Tirtle.. It just doesn't feel complete and doesn't resound when read. When pronounced it's the same, but when I read the name it just becomes jarring to my eyes.
Most puns, especially Pokemon name puns, are to make sense when sounded out, and not always letter-for-letter. Tirtouga is probably what it is instead of Turtouga because as evidenced by Carracosta NoA seems to be hinting at a Spanish-influenced naming theme. Tirtouga arguably sounds more like that than Turtouga.

Explained in my previous post. Unnecessary phonetically, to make the literary pun correct: necessary.
Tik means the same thing as tick. I still don't see a problem; corruptions occur all the time, and in places beyond Pokemon names.

Okay, I agree, there's reasoning to that. But again, Luvdisc..
So NoA doing one lame name means others should follow that pattern...? Doesn't make much sense either.

NoA removes letters when the 10charlimit comes into play mostly, or when it fits a pun better (i.e.: Feraligatr/Victreebel and Shiftry(y instead of ee)). The only one I could give you is Marowak. There's no such ordeal here though, as whack isn't used in any other names if I'm not mistaken. In the past and even it's evolution have 'drill' spelled out: Excadrill and Beedrill, even Fearow's Jap. name: Onidrill. That's why I don't know why adding that L would've been such a hard call..

Again, the pun (obviously meant to be on Crook and Crocodile) would resound better if the first K in Krookodile would be a C. Corruptions aren't good things and there are actually only a few iirc, Wailmer, Wailord and Skorupi (imo an unfateful mix up with the japanese Scorpi) being among them. Why do they need to use a K this time around when they've used the C for similar puns: Croconaw

It's like I said a bunch of times already. For some odd reason, the guys at NoA have suddenly decided to use the K where they'd otherwise mostly use a C in previous generations. Skarmory and Skorupi being exceptional.

Yes, you keep saying it but it's not at all true. You're blatantly eschewing all the Pokemon names with corruptions in them and only referencing ones that don't. Look at my previous post and Sabonea_Masukippa's; names with word corruptions happen all the time.

Using K instead of C is not anything new to English Pokemon names. Nor is corrupting words in practically any other way (S_M's post hit this on the head). I'm not trying to give you a hard time; what you're saying simply doesn't make sense.

Ausgirl
21st January 2011, 1:27 PM
Is there a list of OU fith gen pokemon yet? Or is it too early to tell?

SasakiThePikachu
21st January 2011, 2:19 PM
You didn't encounter a Gastrodon at all until the Pokemon League?

I did, but it didn't matter until the league. I've never had problem with NPC trainers. The champion battle, on the other hand, is not a place where you want to make mistakes due to your own ineptitude at learning names. One wrong move can cost you when you're facing Cynthia for the first time.

Grr, stupid bloody Flintstones. If 'Dino' is derived from Dinosaur, it should be pronounced 'Die-no'. Then why did they call their pet 'Dee-no'?! I never got that. I think a lot of pokemon fans are going to be saying Monozu's name wrong. I do however wonder if Ninty didn't add some puns that you can only appreciate when you mispronunce the names. If you say Zweilous wrong it sounds like 'zealous', and if you say 'Hydreigon' wrong it sounds more like 'hydrogen', references the third stage's ability to levitate. Cool :D

Just a ponderment on Meraruba for a moment...I understand 'Larvesta' - larva (baby bug) + Vesta, the Roman goddess of the hearth, but what about 'Volcarona'? The volcano reference is clear, but the second part confuses me. Any ideas, folks?

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st January 2011, 2:24 PM
Just a ponderment on Meraruba for a moment...I understand 'Larvesta' - larva (baby bug) + Vesta, the Roman goddess of the hearth, but what about 'Volcarona'? The volcano reference is clear, but the second part confuses me. Any ideas, folks?

Corona - an alcoholic beverage served with lime?

Or maybe:
1.a white or colored circle or set of concentric circles of light seen around a luminous body, esp. around the sun or moon.
2.Meteorology . such a circle or set of circles having a small radius and ranging in color from blue inside to red outside, attributable to the diffraction caused by thin clouds, mist, or sometimes dust ( distinguished from halo).
3.Also called aureola, aureole. Astronomy . a faintly luminous envelope outside of the sun's chromosphere, the inner part consisting of highly ionized elements.
(dictionary.com)

Dr. Leggs
21st January 2011, 3:19 PM
Yeah, the corona is the sun's brightest and outermost layer, referencing Volcarona's Dex entries about it being a substitute for the sun when clouds of ash block out the sun, and it being the Sun Pokemon.

BW202
21st January 2011, 3:23 PM
they really went overboard with the double R's

You're joking right? A total of eight have double RRs, and five of those are part of evolution lines. Timburr line and Ferroseed line. That leaves three, and one is a Legendary. Not exactly sure that counts as "overboard."

Xweek
21st January 2011, 3:34 PM
For those struggling with the concept of Volcarona, just think of Corona Mountain from Super Mario Sunshine; if the Koopas can use it as their base of operations, you know it must be hot and full of magma/lava.

Porygandrew
21st January 2011, 3:57 PM
because as evidenced by Carracosta NoA seems to be hinting at a Spanish-influenced naming theme.

It's certainly a nod towards America's cultural melting-pot by including parts of different languages in the naming of pokemon this generation; Scandinavian, German, Spanish. Any others found?

(Latin is a given, plus it's a dead language so it doesn't technically count)

Endless
21st January 2011, 3:59 PM
For those struggling with the concept of Volcarona, just think of Corona Mountain from Super Mario Sunshine; if the Koopas can use it as their base of operations, you know it must be hot and full of magma/lava.
I do not get the problem, I find it nearly obvious that it is corona, the plasma atmosphere of the sun, as Volcarona is the sun pokémon and is stated to represent the sun.

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 4:13 PM
It's certainly a nod towards America's cultural melting-pot by including parts of different languages in the naming of pokemon this generation; Scandinavian, German, Spanish. Any others found?

(Latin is a given, plus it's a dead language so it doesn't technically count)

Dutch, there are no words that comes from Dutch(at least, I haven't seen them), but(just like I said before) the names Liepard(assuming that Lie comes from lying/not telling the truth and pronounced that way) and Drilbur(assuming the ur is the same pronounced as in Conkeldurr) sounds like the Dutch words for leopard(on which Liepard is based on) and jackhamer ,I don't really believe that's coincidence.

Endless
21st January 2011, 4:17 PM
Dutch, there are no words that comes from Dutch(at least, I haven't seen them), but(just like I said before) the names Liepard(assuming that Lie comes from lying/not telling the truth and pronounced that way) and Drilbur(assuming the ur is the same pronounced as in Conkeldurr) sounds like the Dutch words for leopard(on which Liepard is based on) and jackhamer ,I don't really believe that's coincidence.
Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon?
Ein Swei, Drei-One, Two, Three

EDIT: sorry, thought of Deutsch and not Dutch.

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 4:19 PM
Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon?
Ein Swei, Drei-One, Two, Three

EDIT: sorry, thought of Deutsch and not Dutch

That's German, not Dutch...
The Dutch "one, two, three" is "een, twee, drie"

EDIT: Ah ok, can happen.

LexSuicune
21st January 2011, 4:23 PM
Corona is the outer layer of the sun's atmosphere and the bursts of solar flares are called corona blasts so It's no surprise it was chosen to be part of Urgamoth's name, I love it.

XXD17
21st January 2011, 5:11 PM
Wow...it looks like I've been calling ulgamoth by the wrong name for some time now...I've been calling it Solcorona rather than Volcorona :P

aggronFTW
21st January 2011, 5:55 PM
Just wondering, where does the 'ferro' come from in ferroseed and ferrothorn?

Ive kind of lost the will to play any of my other pokemon games in anticipation for this, 4th march can't come soon enough.

mickey
21st January 2011, 6:09 PM
Just wondering, where does the 'ferro' come from in ferroseed and ferrothorn?

Ive kind of lost the will to play any of my other pokemon games in anticipation for this, 4th march can't come soon enough.

In Italian Ferro is Iron :)

aggronFTW
21st January 2011, 6:27 PM

Ahh cool thanks, there's a surprisingly big mix of languages in these names, German, Italian, Chinese I think is in them too.

R_N
21st January 2011, 6:31 PM
Eh, I can agree with that. Roggenrola comes from the fact that the 'eye' is actually an ear, making it more akin to a loudspeaker system. Thus, Rock 'n' roller is a part of the pun.

Also, it's a more flavorful version of its translated japanese name RockRoll. So I'm sure the localization staff saw that and just jumped at it because come on would YOU bass it up?

WOULD YOU?

Chimchar15
21st January 2011, 6:37 PM
Also, it's a more flavorful version of its translated japanese name RockRoll. So I'm sure the localization staff saw that and just jumped at it because come on would YOU bass it up?

WOULD YOU?

I see what you did there. There cleverness and creativity of the localization staff always impresses me with each new generation. Seriously great work.

mickey
21st January 2011, 6:42 PM
Yeah! There're lot of names that use european languages (or simply latin):

Latin: Simisage, Simisear, Simipour (from "simia" - monkey), Audino (from "audio" - to hear), Solosis, Duosion, Foongus (from fungus - mushroom)
Italian: Minccino, Cinccino (from Cappuccino), Ferroseed, Ferrothorn (from ferro - iron)
German: Blitzle (from blitz - flash (I believe)), Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon (from eins, zwei, drei - one, two, three)
French: Petilil (from "petit" - tiny), Gothitelle (from mademoiselle), Escavalier (from escargot - snail)
Spanish: Maractus (from "maracas" and "cactus"), Tirtouga (from tortuga - turtle), Carracosta, Gothita (from Lolita), Gothorita (from Senorita)

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 6:51 PM
Spanish: Gothita (from Lolita)

I'm pretty sure that (Gothic)Lolita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion) is a Japanese clothing style.

mickey
21st January 2011, 6:52 PM
Of course it is, but "lolita" is a spanish word

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 7:07 PM

Then what does it mean? I used google translator, but it only translates into "lolita". But if that is supposed to be, then according to my dictionary it could mean.
1.Very lustful young girl
2.'Lolita' is a Spanish name given to girls. It is a derived form of Lola, which itself is derived from Dolores.

uhhh, is any of these right for the spanish word lolita?

mickey
21st January 2011, 7:37 PM
2.'Lolita' is a Spanish name given to girls. It is a derived form of Lola, which itself is derived from Dolores.

uhhh, is any of these right for the spanish word lolita?

And isn't that enough? 0:)

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 7:51 PM
And isn't that enough? 0:)

Aha, I though so. However, you said "word" not "name" so I wasn't 100% sure.
I think I would get it sooner if you said "Of course it is, but "lolita" is a spanish name" instead of "Of course it is, but "lolita" is a spanish word."
When you said "word", I though it would be a word that is a Spanish word for something else just like Senorita is Spanish for Lady.
Please be more specific next time to avoid such confusions.

Exodd
21st January 2011, 8:51 PM
What is the name Emolga referring to then if not just a modification of Emonga?

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 9:21 PM
What is the name Emolga referring to then if not just a modification of Emonga?

It think it's a corruption of 'Pteromys momonga' which is the Laitin name for The Japanese dwarf flying squirrel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dwarf_flying_squirrel). The "E" and "l" probably comes from electricity.

R_N
21st January 2011, 9:38 PM
I think the L is a stretch considering how far it is from the "E".

Master of Fossils
21st January 2011, 9:40 PM

As true as this is I'm going to say it comes from Latin. (Even though they are basically the same thing.)

After all Iorn has the chemical symbol Fe because of the Latin word. While Italian is defenetly the exact same thing I just find it more likely the name has a Latin base because of it's greater fame.

LexSuicune
21st January 2011, 9:46 PM
I think they should've kept it Emonga, the L is unnecesary. Lost its japanese meaning.

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 9:49 PM
Yeah, I think it's also a stretch, I just read it somewhere and assumed it. Couldn't it be possible it's just a typo, cause I otherwise don't really see where that "l" comes from, Pachirisu also kept it's Japanese name, we will see what it is when the name is revealed.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 10:03 PM
Emolga is most likely a typo, the pun is lost and "l" and "m" are extremely close on the keyboard...

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 10:08 PM
Emolga is most likely a typo, the pun is lost and "l" and "m" are extremely close on the keyboard...

So are the "m" and "n" :D

I really hope it's a typo, if not, I hope they had a good reason to change it. And if it was not a typo, I hope we discover where the "l" comes from.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 10:16 PM
So are the "m" and "n" :D

...right, an error. Still, you understand my point.
Besides this, I truly love all of the names.

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st January 2011, 10:30 PM
Emolga is fine and may not be a typo.

mickey
21st January 2011, 10:30 PM
Aha, I though so. However, you said "word" not "name" so I wasn't 100% sure.
I think I would get it sooner if you said "Of course it is, but "lolita" is a spanish name" instead of "Of course it is, but "lolita" is a spanish word."
When you said "word", I though it would be a word that is a Spanish word for something else just like Senorita is Spanish for Lady.
Please be more specific next time to avoid such confusions.

I'm sorry for that, but c'm on! I'm not a native english, so it's pretty normal that I make little mistakes...

And if we want to be really specific, the word "word" comprehends different grammatical categories: nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives and yes, also names (that are practically nouns).

Lorde
21st January 2011, 10:31 PM
the L is unnecesary.

Unless it's a detective (1 million nerd points to the person who gets the reference).

I'm actually surprised at some of the people who are complaining about the name to be honest. I personally don't care whether there is a typo in the English name for Emonga or not. I've gotten used to saying Emonga, but saying Emolga isn't so different so I'm not bothered. I figure that so long as you understand what the Pokemon is based on, you're set. Emonga or Emolga: both are Pokemon.

bugcatchersdream
21st January 2011, 10:42 PM
Unless it's a detective (1 million nerd points to the person who gets the reference).
What do I do with my 1,000,000 nerd points?
Anyway, the only Pokemon whose name I like more in Japanese than in English is Komatana/Pawniard. Komatana really fits well with that particular Pokemon. And it doesn't even look like a Chess piece!

SasakiThePikachu
21st January 2011, 10:43 PM

I'm actually surprised at some of the people who are complaining about the name to be honest. I personally don't care whether there is a typo in the English name for Emonga or not. I've gotten used to saying Emonga, but saying Emolga isn't so different so I'm not bothered. I figure that so long as you understand what the Pokemon is based on, you're set. Emonga or Emolga: both are Pokemon.

Death note reference FTW, but what else can we expect from 'the 4th kira'?! xD *collects nerd points*

I find it funny that people complain when the names are changed completely from the japanese, and yet also complain when the name is basically left alone, with only 1 letter difference. Ninty just can't win.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 10:49 PM
Hey, I didn't complain, I only said that it's pointless to change a single letter of the name and ruin the original pun a bit. I don't mind emolga's name at all and I wasn't going to use it in the first place, but whatever.
And Nintendo always wins, remember that. :3 For every person that whines there are fifty people that are open-minded, but these fifty people never post or say anything, so it always seems like the majority of fans are whiners.

Dracoste
21st January 2011, 10:50 PM
I'm sorry for that, but c'm on! I'm not a native english, so it's pretty normal that I make little mistakes...

Owwww, I'm sorry, I didn't noticed it.....and it's even in your sig*facepalm*!...I'm really very sorryhttp://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4907/animesweat.gif
I also make often mistakes(like this one, but of course also grammatical errors)

If Emolga stays Emolga, then I have nothing to do against it exept to adapt to it, just like the other names, and it also doesn't sound too bad, does it.

Lorde
21st January 2011, 10:50 PM
I find it funny that people complain when the names are changed completely from the japanese, and yet also complain when the name is basically left alone, with only 1 letter difference. Ninty just can't win.

Apparently, it's fine if they names change completely, but changing one letter is now considered taboo. In the defense of those people who have issues with the apparent change of name, though: I think they find it odd because all of the previous regional electric rodents kept their Japanese names. I guess people truly expected the same to happen to Emonga. Well, one letter hardly makes a difference, so it really shouldn't be the catalyst for a name debate :c

ryodragonite
21st January 2011, 11:04 PM
What do I do with my 1,000,000 nerd points?
Anyway, the only Pokemon whose name I like more in Japanese than in English is Komatana/Pawniard. Komatana really fits well with that particular Pokemon. And it doesn't even look like a Chess piece!

I think its pretty funny how they got Pawniard for that pokemon. I like the name for it but I agree with you. It doesnt look like a chess piece it actually looks like a sword/dagger thing. And what was the evolved forms name again?

SasakiThePikachu
21st January 2011, 11:05 PM
Apparently, it's fine if they names change completely, but changing one letter is now considered taboo. In the defense of those people who have issues with the apparent change of name, though: I think they find it odd because all of the previous regional electric rodents kept their Japanese names. I guess people truly expected the same to happen to Emonga. Well, one letter hardly makes a difference, so it really shouldn't be the catalyst for a name debate :c

I hope not, we have enough name debates without adding another :D

See watcha mean, Kira, but I don't see why people should assume that because all previous electric rodents' names were safe, Emonga's would be too. I mean, all previous region names were safe, were they not? But this generation, it's Hello Unova! I'd say it's obvious they'd thrown out the 'previous gens did it so this one will too' rule book. Poor ol Masuda has stressed it over and over: this is a fresh start.

@ Maverik, of course Ninty win! You hear many people complaining about the new names, but have you heard one person saying 'I dislike those names so much I refuse to buy the game'. And even if they did, how long do you think that resolution would last? Ninty win so long as they get our money :D

matt0044
21st January 2011, 11:08 PM
And Nintendo always wins, remember that. :3 For every person that whines there are fifty people that are open-minded, but these fifty people never post or say anything, so it always seems like the majority of fans are whiners.

Shame. We need to hear from more of those fifty people.

BCVM22
21st January 2011, 11:15 PM

The weakest dogs bark the loudest. Universal truth.

Maverik
21st January 2011, 11:15 PM
I think its pretty funny how they got Pawniard for that pokemon. I like the name for it but I agree with you. It doesnt look like a chess piece it actually looks like a sword/dagger thing. And what was the evolved forms name again?

It isn't the chess piece as much as it is the role of the chess piece.
Pawns are unimportant, small minions of the larger commanders of legions in war.
Bisharp, the name of its evolution, represents a Bishop or a leader in war. It commands the pawns.

@SasakiThePikachu Same for other game series as well.

And I believe these people are known as the "vocal minority." ;)

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st January 2011, 11:34 PM

Slightly off topic but I was reading about a study that suggested that it didn't matter if 1 person repeated the same opinion three time or if 3 people expressed the same opinion; test subjects rated the popularity of the opinion as the same in the general population. So it may really just be a noisy minority of whingers.

ryodragonite
22nd January 2011, 12:00 AM
Pawns are unimportant, small minions of the larger commanders of legions in war.
Bisharp, the name of its evolution, represents a Bishop or a leader in war. It commands the pawns.

So Bisharps his name huh? Well that fits so I guess thats how they got Pawniards name but he looks more like a red power ranger to me.

And I wouldnt say the majority of people are whiners there just not creative enough to see what the artist were thinkling when they made that crap >>.

Maverik
22nd January 2011, 2:16 AM
So Bisharps his name huh? Well that fits so I guess thats how they got Pawniards name but he looks more like a red power ranger to me.

That's a new one, at least you guys aren't comparing the new monsters with Digimon anymore...

And I wouldnt say the majority of people are whiners there just not creative enough to see what the artist were thinkling when they made that crap >>.

Useless justification for their whining. :3
Also I couldn't tell if you were sarcastic or not.

BCVM22
22nd January 2011, 2:22 AM
he looks more like a red power ranger to me

Japanese tokusatsu and sentai heroes are half the basis, yes.

R_N
22nd January 2011, 2:24 AM
Hey, I didn't complain, I only said that it's pointless to change a single letter of the name and ruin the original pun a bit. I don't mind emolga's name at all and I wasn't going to use it in the first place, but whatever.
And Nintendo always wins, remember that. :3 For every person that whines there are fifty people that are open-minded, but these fifty people never post or say anything, so it always seems like the majority of fans are whiners.It's not so much whining as it is befuddling. If it was Elmoga or Elmonga or Elesquirrel or whatever, sure, but this seems to be a change for no reason. All the other names are either translations (Tsutarja-Snivy), flavorful translations (Roggenrola), different names but still based on the Pokemon, its personality &/or its behavior (Erufuun to Whimsicott), or so on.

Emolga is nothing, so far as anyone can tell. The new emphasis on "mol" doesn't help either (sidenote: does anyone else keep trying to end the "mol" with "mold"? Just me?); I doubt they want to bring to mind "moles" or the unit for an amount of a substance's mass

Exodd
22nd January 2011, 2:34 AM
Molga is the name of a worm-like mech on Zoids, but I don't think the name is supposed to reference that either.

LexSuicune
22nd January 2011, 2:34 AM
Anyone know what's the origin of Amomola's name? It baffles me.

Exodd
22nd January 2011, 2:39 AM
Mola mola is the type of fish Mamanbou's design is based on.

Maverik
22nd January 2011, 2:40 AM
^It's a modified version of "mola mola", the scientific term for the ocean sunfish, into a palindrome.
Notice, Alomomola spelt backwards is Alomomola

EDIT: Ninja'd, but I mentioned the palindrome. Nerd points for me. >: )

Mr.Munchlax
22nd January 2011, 2:41 AM
Just a hypothetical question, out of these two starters and their evolutionary lines, which one do think is more like Scyther and Scizor as far as behavior and personality based on the anime and Pokedex entries?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6a/Spr_5b_495.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d3/496.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/497.png

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0c/Spr_5b_501.png -> http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6c/502.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png

R_N
22nd January 2011, 2:54 AM
Just a hypothetical question, out of these two starters and their evolutionary lines, which one do think is more like Scyther and Scizor as far as behavior and personality based on the anime and Pokedex entries?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6a/Spr_5b_495.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d3/496.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/497.png

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0c/Spr_5b_501.png -> http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/6c/502.png ->http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png
Neither of them?

Mastercradily
22nd January 2011, 3:46 AM
Karrablast ----- Escavalier are scarab beetles (escaravelhos in Portuguese) ........

Karrablast : Karra comes from scarab

Escavalier: Esc comes for scarab too or escaravelho (scarab in Portuguese) .

XXD17
22nd January 2011, 4:01 AM
Karrablast ----- Escavalier are scarab beetles (escaravelhos in Portuguese) ........

Karrablast : Karra comes from scarab

Escavalier: Esc comes for scarab too or escaravelho (scarab in Portuguese) .

I thought escavelier was escargot + cavelier

That's the problem...bishops are leaders of the CHURCH (not war unless you count the crusades where a few bishops were part of but never had a very large commanding role in) which is not an image that is intended to be associated with violence, but does use it on a subversive level, so naming Bisharp after a holy leader is kind of counter-intuitive to its extremely violent nature...

Maverik
22nd January 2011, 4:12 AM
That's the problem...bishops are leaders of the CHURCH (not war unless you count the crusades where a few bishops were part of but never had a very large commanding role in) which is not an image that is intended to be associated with violence, but does use it on a subversive level, so naming Bisharp after a holy leader is kind of counter-intuitive to its extremely violent nature...

There is no problem, Bishops in chess have more power than the pawns. The word Bishop is also an excellent word to make a pun out of with "sharp" and "bisect." Whether or not they are technically or politically correct doesn't change my opinion that it is a cool name for this Pocket Monster.

BW202
22nd January 2011, 5:18 AM

A bishop may not be a leader in war, but he's still a leader all the same. He is a leader of a great amount of people, just like Bisharp, so there's really not a problem. A name may not be completely politically correct but that's no reason to diss it, especially if it's a great name like Bisharp.

XXD17
22nd January 2011, 6:34 AM
A bishop may not be a leader in war, but he's still a leader all the same. He is a leader of a great amount of people, just like Bisharp, so there's really not a problem. A name may not be completely politically correct but that's no reason to diss it, especially if it's a great name like Bisharp.

no one's dissing anything...the name is fine as it is...i just think the ambiguity surrounding the meaning of the name's origin should be addressed...there are plenty of other counter-intuitive names that are fine like charmander which is the lizard pokemon but is named after the salamander. Salamander has two major meanings: 1) a 4 legged semi-aquatic amphibian with a long tail in the order Caudata 2) a mythical creature that is born from the fire inspired by the previous, but specifically the fire salamander which crawled out of wood piles that were being burned because they lived in them and the people burning the wood didn't notice so they thought salamanders were born from the flames....a lizard. however is a reptile....the naming is off but charmander is a great name for a great pokemon...

Siphodeus
22nd January 2011, 7:48 AM
Bishops are religious leaders but who can deny that throughout history religious leaders have had roles in warfare?

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd January 2011, 9:43 AM

^It's a modified version of "mola mola", the scientific term for the ocean sunfish, into a palindrome.
Notice, Alomomola spelt backwards is Alomomola

EDIT: Ninja'd, but I mentioned the palindrome. Nerd points for me. >: )

It also, like it's Japanese name, includes a reference to a word for 'mother,' coming from its nursing classification.

Lorde
22nd January 2011, 11:35 AM
Anyone know what's the origin of Amomola's name? It baffles me.

I actually like what they did with Mamanbou's English name. I only just realized that it is a palindrome, and I totally get why that is. I mean, the Pokemon looks practically symmetrical, after all. I can't believe I didn't notice that until now; I guess I had always just paid more attention to how it likes to hug itself in its animation sprite (that's still creepy). I have heard of a mola mola before, though I've never really done any research on it. It would appear that a mola mola is just another name for an ocean sunfish. I'm glad they didn't go with something obvious, like "Heartfisk" or something :rolleyes:

Disgruntled Goat
22nd January 2011, 1:31 PM
A few additions to the debates:

Ferroseed and Ferrothorn both come from 'ferrous' meaning it contains iron. The word itself comes from Latin, which is where the Italian example comes from. Trust me, NoA were just using the English word.

The K vs C debate is silly. There are loads of words in English that use one when the other could be as appropriate. Look at Skorupi for example - sure it comes from 'scorpion' but many words starting with that sound use 'sk' like 'skip' or 'skeptic' (in American anyway - England uses 'sceptic').

The same goes for Drilbur - if it was a real word it would not be spelled 'drillbur'. Think of 'Wilbur'.

The bottom line: it would be really boring if the names always used the exact words they were based on. Cocoona? BORING! Eelectric? BORING!

Maverik
22nd January 2011, 2:35 PM
People who criticize the names and the Pokemon often don't realize that what they criticize has already been executed in the series and they just ignore it.

LexSuicune
22nd January 2011, 5:09 PM
I truly hope Meguroko and Kurumiru end up in Ash's rooster this time around. They would complete her Isshu team beautifully

Rentaline99
22nd January 2011, 5:27 PM
Simisear is definitely going to be nicknamed Sissy. It fits so well.

mickey
22nd January 2011, 6:42 PM
I thought escavelier was escargot + cavelier

I think it's a double pun

snare
22nd January 2011, 6:45 PM
Simisear is definitely going to be nicknamed Sissy. It fits so well.

Hey! I love Simisear! You sir, have offended my honor!

Pistols at ten paces!

No but seriously, I know he's a bit of a limp-wristed lily, yet I still love him. :(

Exodd
22nd January 2011, 10:05 PM
I wonder how many of the staff at Nintendo thought Mamanbou was an evolution of Luvdisc.

BCVM22
22nd January 2011, 10:11 PM
Given that they have access to the full gamut of internal materials that we the fans do not, I would assume none of them.

Maverik
22nd January 2011, 10:26 PM
I wonder how many of the staff at Nintendo thought Mamanbou was an evolution of Luvdisc.

None. Game Freak probably told Nintendo about there being no evolutions of past Pokemon so they wouldn't name Alomomola "sundisc" or something like that connected with Luvdisc.

Ophie
23rd January 2011, 12:30 AM
Grr, stupid bloody Flintstones. If 'Dino' is derived from Dinosaur, it should be pronounced 'Die-no'. Then why did they call their pet 'Dee-no'?! I never got that. I think a lot of pokemon fans are going to be saying Monozu's name wrong. I do however wonder if Ninty didn't add some puns that you can only appreciate when you mispronunce the names. If you say Zweilous wrong it sounds like 'zealous', and if you say 'Hydreigon' wrong it sounds more like 'hydrogen', references the third stage's ability to levitate. Cool :D

Because Dino's name itself is a pun. While he's a dinosaur (a snorkosaurus, to be precise), Dino is also an Italian first name, the most prominent cause being the late movie director Dino de Laurentis. It's pronounced "DEE-no" in this context. I don't know what the etymology of this name is, but I'd bet it's actually unrelated to dinosaurs as it was used before Richard Owen coined that word.

More than likely the Gothita line is named after the Gothic Lolita clothing style, which in turn is named after the novel Lolita by Vladimir Nobokov.

Dr. Leggs
23rd January 2011, 1:47 AM
I truly hope Meguroko and Kurumiru end up in Ash's rooster this time around. They would complete her Isshu team beautifully

From the 'Ash' and 'her' I can't tell if you mean Ash or Iris. If the former, Ash's Unova roster is already full.

bugcatchersdream
23rd January 2011, 2:21 AM
From the 'Ash' and 'her' I can't tell if you mean Ash or Iris. If the former, Ash's Unova roster is already full.

Also, both of those Pokemon have had their English names officialy revealed. They are Sandile and Sewaddle, respectively.

SmartD
23rd January 2011, 4:00 PM
More new names again. Excadrill sounds like a great name to me out ouf the names currently revealed. As for the "list" that's going around on the web, I'm not yet convinced they're real. I'm still waiting a confirmation from Nintendo.

Wormow
23rd January 2011, 4:03 PM
^ They probably are, as they match many of the recently revealed English names and Serebii hasn't confirmed or denied the list; probably because he isn't allowed to, and when there's information that's fake, he'll go out to deny it.

Grei
23rd January 2011, 4:06 PM
More new names again. Excadrill sounds like a great name to me out ouf the names currently revealed. As for the "list" that's going around on the web, I'm not yet convinced they're real. I'm still waiting a confirmation from Nintendo.

Apparently you don't know how it happened.

The list began circulating with a list of names of all of the Pokemon. It remained only a rumor until a little while later, when some Pokemon (like Confagrigus) were officially revealed and people noticed that the new, officially-revealed Pokemon names matched the ones on the list. Even later than that (about a week or so, I believe), Pokemon like Sewaddle and Alomomola were officially revealed, and sure enough, the list had Kurumiru's Eng. name as "Sewaddle" and Mamanbou's Eng. name as "Alomomola."

At this point, the list is proven to be perfectly legitimate. We know all of the English names (save for Meloetta, Genesect, and Keldeo).

Wormow
23rd January 2011, 4:10 PM
I doubt the three event Pokemon's English name will differ that much to the Japanese name.

Maxim
23rd January 2011, 4:20 PM
They won't differ at all. We know the official romanizations and it's common sense to think that those will become their English names. Nintendo seems to have some policy on major legendaries names to be international.

Lorde
23rd January 2011, 4:20 PM

I would have laughed out loud if the translation team had missed out on vital information and Mamanbou's English name had been something like Luvmola. But yeah, I'm sure that the staff were given enough information on each new Pokemon so that mistakes could be prevented.

Yeah, I'm still banking on Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect retaining their Japanese names in the English games. Most of the important Legendary Pokemon from the previous generations have kept their Japanese names, so I'm going to assume that the same is going to be true for these guys. I am curious as to why their names weren't on that leaked list, however.

Grei
23rd January 2011, 4:30 PM
I doubt the three event Pokemon's English name will differ that much to the Japanese name.

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to insinuate that those three will get new names. Just that they weren't on the list, so we don't technically "know"... Even though we sort of do.

Dr. Leggs
23rd January 2011, 5:27 PM
The only reason I would suspect any change in the event Pokemon's names would be because Sheimi was changed to Shaymin. If there is to be any change, it's going to be incredibly minor; which is good, as Keldeo/Meloette/Genesect are fine names to me.

GaZsTiC
23rd January 2011, 6:20 PM
Keldeo is a safe-bet for retaining it's name as the other three Musketeers kept their names. I am positive that they will keep the name Genesect. Meloetta, on the other hand, could potentially be altered - maybe to something like Melodetta or Melodette.

Shneak
23rd January 2011, 6:25 PM
The musketeers did get name changes. Birijion was changed to Virizion, for example.

Ekul the Sarcastic
23rd January 2011, 6:40 PM
I thought Virizion/Birijion was just a translation thing, like Rukario/Lucario? Bulbapedia's had it listed as Virizion since the start.

Grei
23rd January 2011, 6:41 PM
The musketeers did get name changes. Birijion was changed to Virizion, for example.

Those aren't big changes, though. Those are closer to the slight changes that occur due to romanization differences and such. For example, Victini was originally referred to as "Bikutini."

Dr. Leggs
23rd January 2011, 6:41 PM
Virizion is the same as Birijion. The only legendaries with legitimate name changes are the roamers (unfortunate; I loved their old names).

GaZsTiC
23rd January 2011, 6:49 PM

That's how Japanese works. Birijion = Virizion, in the same way as something like Rukario = Lucario.

Wormow
23rd January 2011, 7:14 PM
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to insinuate that those three will get new names. Just that they weren't on the list, so we don't technically "know"... Even though we sort of do.

Yeah, I know. :3

And I like Meloetta, hopefully it stays.

LexSuicune
23rd January 2011, 8:59 PM
Meloetta, Kelpie and Genesect's name are perfect as they are, I expect them to remain the same.

Hopefully.

BCVM22
23rd January 2011, 9:05 PM
The Pokémon's name isn't Kelpie, though.

Lorde
23rd January 2011, 11:08 PM
Bulbapedia's had it listed as Virizion since the start.

Which is surprising, considering how often they edit their pages because they can't agree on a single romanization. But yeah, I like Virizion. I haven't always liked it but now I really do. It just looks so amazing. I remember hating those Musketeer Pokemon (with a passion for fashion) but I really like Virizion and Keldeo now. They both look beautiful compared to the others. I guess Cobalion is also sort of beautiful, but in a weird masculine sort of way. Terrakion is just masculine, and that's all I see it as. Well, it does have a unique type combination too, but I'm not impressed.

Ophie
24th January 2011, 1:26 AM
For the record, in Japaneze, B = V, and ji = zi. That's why Birijion could be interpreted as Virizion.

roy_vos
24th January 2011, 10:34 AM
I think Genesect will keep it name or it will change to Genosect ?!

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th January 2011, 10:48 AM
I think Genesect will keep it name or it will change to Genosect ?!

To be clear; it is spelled as Genosect (lit Genosekuto) in Japanese characters, but the official romanization is Genesect. No matter which name NoA go with, neither will technically be 'changed' from the Japanese name.

Lorde
24th January 2011, 11:00 AM
To be clear; it is spelled as Genosect (lit Genosekuto) in Japanese characters, but the official romanization is Genesect. No matter which name NoA go with, neither will technically be 'changed' from the Japanese name.

I've actually been switching between both those names since the Pokemon was first revealed, because I wasn't sure which was the correct spelling. If I spelled it Genosect, someone would tell me it was wrong and if I spelled it Genesect, someone else would tell me that I was spelling it wrong. It was confusing and irritating. It seems like it can be spelled either way, though. I don't think the name really matters, so long as you can understand which Pokemon a person is talking about.

roy_vos
24th January 2011, 12:16 PM
IMO Genosect sound better :P
but it doesn't matter what it will be. he is just a cool pokemon :)

Xweek
24th January 2011, 1:02 PM
I think it'll end up being Genesect, it has less...um, family-unfriendly connotations, it must be said.

GaZsTiC
24th January 2011, 5:36 PM
I think it'll end up being Genesect, it has less...um, family-unfriendly connotations, it must be said.

Excuse me? Please explain.

Porygandrew
24th January 2011, 5:43 PM
Excuse me? Please explain.

I think he means "Genocide" for the "Geno" part. That's the only reason I can think of.

If the ancient-bug-legendary was revived by Plasma (HOW? WHY? PLOT-HOLE!) and then given a frickin'-lazer-beam attached to its back, I would assume that the story involves some sort of gene-splicing like mewtwo and likely "genesect" [JEN-eh-sect] would be its English/international name.

Chibi_Muffin
24th January 2011, 5:44 PM
Genosect sounds like 'genocide', i.e. making a species extinct. Yeeaah. Not nice, and not something you'd want kids to see/hear in their favourite video game. =/ IMO, Genesect sounds better.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Lorde
24th January 2011, 5:57 PM
An issue with the name Genosect, eh? I don't think that the names are supposed to be taken so seriously, to be honest.

Anyway, I think I've just about memorized the new English names for the Generation 5 Pokemon. I tried reading them all last night and looking at the images of those Pokemon helped like you wouldn't believe. Some of the names I had trouble with a while ago were the names for those construction Pokemon. I just didn't know which one was which, but the English names helped to identify them easily: Timburr is the one with the wooden plank, Gurdurr is the one with the metal girder, and Conkeldurr is the one that appears to be pushing cement blocks. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad the English names have these neat little puns.

Dr. Leggs
24th January 2011, 6:16 PM
I feel like Genesect is better, being genesis + insect; an insect from the 'beginning', describing how old it is (300myo).

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 6:24 PM
I'm actually wondering how Genesect would look like if it wasn't modified.

White Pokémon dex: An ancient Bug Pokemon that was altered by Team Plasma. The canons on its back were made more powerful.
Does that mean he already had cannons on his back 300,000,000 years ago?

Endless
24th January 2011, 6:28 PM
I feel like Genesect is better, being genesis + insect; an insect from the 'beginning', describing how old it is (300myo).

Seriously? I always thought that it was Gene(because Plasma had done gene manipulation on it or something)+Insect. Or can it be both?. However i think it will stay the same in English, Genosect or Genesect.

But on the other hand, I do not think Kieldo will stay the same. Kieldo does not sound very English and I would like a name that somehow connects it to the trio. Not sure about Meloetta.

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 6:35 PM
But on the other hand, I do not think Kieldo will stay the same. Kieldo does not sound very English and I would like a name that somehow connects it to the trio. Not sure about Meloetta.

Uhhh, I think it's Keldeo, well, it is acording to Bulbapedia, Serebii has it as Kerudio, but I like Keldeo more.

koosbane
24th January 2011, 6:37 PM

White Pokémon dex: An ancient Bug Pokemon that was altered by Team Plasma. The canons on its back were made more powerful.

Good question. Did it have cannons on his back that many years ago? He looks cool and I guess we have to wait and see how the translation comes out to decide what the meaning is.

Will-powered Spriter
24th January 2011, 7:10 PM

Don't forget Blastoise and, to a lesser extent, Octillery.

This is Pokemon, where wildlife can fire lasers naturally.

SasakiThePikachu
24th January 2011, 7:17 PM
Man, I'm a hundred yards off the mark then. I thought it was 'geno-sect', as in insect of genocide, referring to its awesome power!! But even if it was, Ninty would never release an english name like that... ^^;

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 7:19 PM
Don't forget Blastoise and, to a lesser extent, Octillery.

This is Pokemon, where wildlife can fire lasers naturally.

I know that Blastoise also has cannons on his back, I was waiting to say it if someone would doupt about Genesect having a canon 300,000,000 years ago.

It would explain why it could be such good hunter then. I wonder what team Plasma modified about Genesect, did they only strengtened it's cannon? Did they also gave it metal plating making it half a steel type? Did they gave it the ability to stand on two legs? So many unanswered questions!

They did modified the cannon to hold cassetes and the attack Techno buster. It's ability Download is probably also given by team Plasma.

Rowdy
24th January 2011, 7:26 PM

Maybe when the third game of the 5th gen is released, they'll put some item in that'll give Genesect an alternate form (Ancient Forme) that will give it better stats and an exclusive learnable attack like with Giratina and Shaymin in Platinum.

Ekul the Sarcastic
24th January 2011, 7:29 PM
It would be nice if they buffed Techno Booster while they were at it. It's kinda sad to have a signature move so thoroughly outclassed by moves Jenny learns naturally...

Kinda hoping Kyurem gets an Altered Forme, too. Give it entry hazard immunity, or something.

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 7:35 PM
Maybe when the third game of the 5th gen is released, they'll put some item in that'll give Genesect an alternate form (Ancient Forme) that will give it better stats and an exclusive learnable attack like with Giratina and Shaymin in Platinum.

If it gets an Ancient Forme, it's probably received by getting a fossil over Wi-Fi and you have to revive it in that place you revive the other Fossils.
Or there will be a lab from team Plasma somewhere where they modified it, and there is a machine that pulls off the parts.

However, I don't know how he could get stronger, he is moddified, thus made stronger, so when pulling off the parts, he becomes weaker.

Maybe he could get 2 different cassetes in the third gen, cause you can get only two cassetes in one version, I forgot which cassete is exclusive to which version.

Or it get's moddified even more due to a researcher that didn't gave up the research and created a cassete giving it more strength.

We will just see when the 3th game comes out..

It would be nice if they buffed Techno Booster while they were at it. It's kinda sad to have a signature move so thoroughly outclassed by moves Jenny learns naturally...

Yeah, the only cassete that isn't weaker than an other attack of the same type is the Aqua cassete, cause the other cassetes gets overpowered by Flamethrower, Ice beam and thunderbolt.

Rowdy
24th January 2011, 7:42 PM
If it gets an alternate form, it's probably received by getting a fossil over Wi-Fi and you have to revive it in that place you revive the other Fossils.
Or there will be a lab from team Plasma somewhere where they modified it, and there is a machine that pulls off the parts.
However, I don't know how he could get stronger, he is moddified, thus making it stronger, so pulling off the parts, he becomes weaker.

Not necessarily. Team Plasma may have been under the assumption that they were making Genesect stronger, but without a living sample to base this on , it's only guess work. Plus, the "enhancements" might have been a necessity (incomplete DNA strand, defects from cloning, control issues). Who knows? Heck, the original Genesect might have wings which the clones missing (I think).

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 7:54 PM
Not necessarily. Team Plasma may have been under the assumption that they were making Genesect stronger, but without a living sample to base this on , it's only guess work. Plus, the "enhancements" might have been a necessity (incomplete DNA strand, defects from cloning, control issues). Who knows? Heck, the original Genesect might have wings which the clones missing (I think).

Black dex entry: 300,000,000 years ago it was feared as the ultimate hunter. Team Plasma modified it.
The ultimate hunter...Hmmm, then I really wonders if the original is indeed stronger, I hope they will show how it looked like originally in the 3th version.

I think wings are not necesary, cause it already can learn Fly. But who knows, maybe it had.

Wormow
24th January 2011, 8:05 PM
Well, Meloetta already has a form. I could see Kyurem and/or Keldeo getting another form, though.

Endless
24th January 2011, 8:27 PM
I actually like the idea of Genesect having wings. I have a hard time thinking of how it would look. If you drop the metal plates, it won't look like it has a shell and that would be strange. I am pretty sure they would change the eyes.
An idea: what about it being quadrupedal, just think of it on four(or six) legs walking around with a cannon on the back.

Well, Meloetta already has a form. I could see Kyurem and/or Keldeo getting another form, though.
Why would Keldeo get another form?
My money is on Genesect and Kyurem.

Wormow
24th January 2011, 8:29 PM
If Shaymin did, why not Keldeo? If Keldeo doesn't star in the movie out this year, might be because they're going to release another form for it.

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 8:30 PM
Why would Keldeo get another form?

Well, they could make an "older" forme, so it looks more like the other three.
I actually can see it happening.

Luxrayess
24th January 2011, 8:35 PM

Meh, Kyurem is more likeley to get another 'forme'.

Super-fast, 150-Speed Ubers Sweeper Kyurem, anyone? :D

Endless
24th January 2011, 8:36 PM
I do not like the idea of it having an older forme. After all it is based on the youngest member and it would be kind of akward if it got and older forme while standing next to the trio.
I know it can happen( you went with the Skymin card so not really anything to argue about). It just seems so... random. And with so many better candidates.
Kyurem-Complete forme.
Genesect-Acient Forme
Heck, even Cryogonal-Vapor forme

Wormow
24th January 2011, 8:41 PM
Are there any legendary-esque Pokemon like Rotom in this region?

Endless
24th January 2011, 8:43 PM
Are there any legendary-esque Pokemon like Rotom in this region?
Not really, the closest i can think of is either Volcarona or Zoroark, but none of them have really any "Legendary feeling" over them. Not that I think Rotom is even close to being legendary.

Dracoste
24th January 2011, 8:44 PM
Not that I think Rotom is even close to being legendary.

It does haves the Legendary pokémon music. Does any non-legendary Pokémon has a legendary pokémon music this gen?

Endless
24th January 2011, 8:54 PM
It does haves the Legendary pokémon music. Does any non-legendary Pokémon has a legendary pokémon music this gen?

Nope, none non-legendary pokemon have that theme in BW.

MetalFlygon08
24th January 2011, 8:58 PM
Tepig's evolutionary line? It's based on fire starting.

You rub to sticks together to create warmth (Tepid=Warm, Tepig=Tepid+Pig)
Once you hit the right temperature you get ignition (Ignite=To start a flame, Pignite=Pig+Ignite)
After ignition, you are left with the hottest part of the fire, the embers (Embers=the burning debris, Emboar=Ember+Pig)

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th January 2011, 9:06 PM
An issue with the name Genosect, eh? I don't think that the names are supposed to be taken so seriously, to be honest.

Co***rigus. English names are serious business.

But really, I assume the 'geno' in Genosect's name comes from genome, rather than Genocide, although I can see why NoA would go with Genesect to avoid potential controversy.

Tepig's evolutionary line? It's based on fire starting.

You rub to sticks together to create warmth (Tepid=Warm, Tepig=Tepid+Pig)
Once you hit the right temperature you get ignition (Ignite=To start a flame, Pignite=Pig+Ignite)
After ignition, you are left with the hottest part of the fire, the embers (Embers=the burning debris, Emboar=Ember+Pig)

:)
It also (kinda) makes sense since Tepig's line in the first line to go from having no visible flame on the body to have that flame-beard.

Dr. Leggs
24th January 2011, 9:12 PM
Seriously? I always thought that it was Gene(because Plasma had done gene manipulation on it or something)+Insect. Or can it be both?. However i think it will stay the same in English, Genosect or Genesect.
I imagine it could be both gene and genesis. I'm thinking Genesect is the more likely translation because of that.

I don't see Keldeo changing. I assume it's Kelpie (water horse) + rodeo or something along those lines (and personally I love the Pokemon and its name). Not to mention legendaries rarely change names.

If Shaymin did, why not Keldeo? If Keldeo doesn't star in the movie out this year, might be because they're going to release another form for it.
Shaymin was a 'tiny' legendary, which in this generation would be Victini. Which doesn't really need a forme change. I don't see the logic behind Shaymin's forme change = Keldeo changes forme. There are many other better reasons for it not starring in this year's movie.

Poke_Mania97
24th January 2011, 9:50 PM
i dont know where to put this, so if this is the wrong place, can someone direct it to the right place.

anyway, i wanted know if 3 trainers (E.g(fake names) Mike John and Jack) can face 3 other trainers (Kai Jill and Sharon) in a match with friends.

Dr. Leggs
24th January 2011, 9:58 PM
If you mean a triple battle, no; triple battles are one player vs. one player.

Disgruntled Goat
25th January 2011, 1:57 AM
Regarding the "3rd game" - anyone know roughly when might we expect any details about it? I'm guessing it will be a 2 year gap like DP-Plat, ie September 2012 release. Will we know any info by the end of this year?

lindsy95
25th January 2011, 2:10 AM
I doubt by the end of this year.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th January 2011, 2:17 AM
Any announcement of the 3rd title in the series is likely 12 months away, at least. Think February or March next year, for a roughly Sept 2012 release.

Carina
25th January 2011, 4:38 AM
Any announcement of the 3rd title in the series is likely 12 months away, at least. Think February or March next year, for a roughly Sept 2012 release.

So a 2013 release outside of Japan?

BCVM22
25th January 2011, 4:42 AM

If they go by the same timeframe that they did for Generation IV - +2 years for the third game, +1 more for any potential remakes - then yes, that'd be a safe bet. It would give Japan Unova 3 in fall of 2012 and any potential remakes a year after that. Add the usual six months for the international releases.

Carina
25th January 2011, 5:03 AM
If they go by the same timeframe that they did for Generation IV - +2 years for the third game, +1 more for any potential remakes - then yes, that'd be a safe bet. It would give Japan Unova 3 in fall of 2012 and any potential remakes a year after that. Add the usual six months for the international releases.
Thanks for that. :)
No way will I skip B/W and wait for Grey...not that I really entertained that thought anyway.

roy_vos
25th January 2011, 9:12 AM

I think they will first release the new game for the Wii and then release the 3de game.

BCVM22
25th January 2011, 9:15 AM
I think they will first release the new game for the Wii and then release the 3de game.

"The new game for the Wii"?

Regardless, one has very little to do with the other, particularly if you're referring to the inane rumor I hope you aren't but suspect you are.

roy_vos
25th January 2011, 9:54 AM
so what... every gen has it game for the Game Cube and Wii.
3 gen - XD and colosseum.
4 gen - PBR
5 gen - ???

its not a rumor... its a logical perspective... :)

BCVM22
25th January 2011, 10:03 AM
Guess you weren't going there. Okay then.

The point is that when the next core title is released has nothing to do with if/when the next Wii side title is released, particularly since we have a reasonable idea of when to expect the next core title.

roy_vos
25th January 2011, 10:08 AM
Guess you weren't going there.

What... ???

Zhanton
25th January 2011, 10:20 AM
What... ???

BCVM means he, at first, assumed you were referring to the recent rumours about a Colosseum-esque title for the Wii, but he has realised you weren't referring to that.

roy_vos
25th January 2011, 10:32 AM
ow im sorry :P thanks for explaining :)

Rowdy
25th January 2011, 12:32 PM
Here's an interesting question to ponder about Pokemon Gray Version. Who here thinks it might actually be made for the 3DS (the first 3DS Pokemon game) or be a DS game that will have special features that can only be used if playing on the 3DS.

My reasoning comes from this. First, the 5th gen have taken the series into a more 3 dimensional world, so having it on or compatible with the 3DS would be the next step. Second, the function of the C-Gear is very similar to how the 3DS works with its roaming link feature (even in sleep mode); almost like the C-Gear was based on the 3DS. And third, what better way for Nintendo to really push the 3DS into gamers hand than to use a Pokemon game. Plus, it would be the to get game for the 5th gen.

And by releasing Gray Version on the 3DS, Game Freak could use it as an experiment to get an idea on where they can go with the 6 gen games.

Dr. Leggs
25th January 2011, 12:53 PM
I feel like it would be 3DS-enhanced, surely. I don't know if it would be 3DS exclusive, though; all trios of games (RBY/GSC/RSE/DPPt) have had all their games on the same platform. If remakes do happen, then they may be 3DS-exclusive; however, I think it does make sense for Grey to be 3DS-enhanced.

rocky505
25th January 2011, 12:55 PM
Don't go too far Emerald was for the GBA even though the DS was already out. And it had no DS features.

roy_vos
25th January 2011, 1:03 PM
The 3th game will be for the normal ds ( Dsi and Dsi XL ) and the remake from ruby and sapphire ( if they come, and yes, they do... and yes it is not confirmd YET ) does games will be for the 3DS..

LexSuicune
25th January 2011, 3:44 PM
I don't think a remake is on the works, there's no need for one anyways.

So, here's a topic of discussion for you guys, what's your favourite new move and why?

Dracoste
25th January 2011, 3:50 PM

What!? Why not? they remade the first two gens, why wouldn't they do the third one?

LexSuicune
25th January 2011, 3:54 PM
What!? Why not? they remade the first two gens, why wouldn't they do now.

The first games were on an obselete console, with obsolete graphics and were bound to be revamped because they were the beggining of the series.

The second games were just unavailables, the GS cartridges were rendered useless due to the batteries as far as I've heard so it was pretty much a necessity.

RSE are on full color, with great graphics, and can be played in the DS with ease.

Tropios
25th January 2011, 3:55 PM

So, here's a topic of discussion for you guys, what's your favourite new move and why?

there's no need for pokemon in general, it just exists for our entertainement and for filling GF's wallet.
same with the remakes, there's no need but they will come for those 2 reasons

Dracoste
25th January 2011, 3:58 PM
RSE are on full color, with great graphics, and can be played in the DS with ease.

Not on the DSi, DSiXL and I also think it's not playable on the 3DS.
And how much kids haven't swithed their regular DS for a DSi(XL).

streetlightdsb
25th January 2011, 4:31 PM
The first games were on an obselete console, with obsolete graphics and were bound to be revamped because they were the beggining of the series.

The second games were just unavailables, the GS cartridges were rendered useless due to the batteries as far as I've heard so it was pretty much a necessity.

Game Freak and Nintendo like money. Of course they'll want to make remakes. And as Dracoste said, the newer incarnations of DS don't support GBA games.

Also just look at the legendaries. You can now get Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Lati@s from HGSS alone (if there are other 3rd gen legends available please add to this list). They are clearly trying to move away from the 3rd generation, presumably in preparation for releasing the remakes.

Porygandrew
25th January 2011, 4:36 PM
The 3DS has nothing exclusive that'd benefit the Pokemon franchise. Even those 3D graphics are really just something optional.
Eventually, yeah. But it's not like a Pokemon game is going to stretch the hardware of a DSi/3DS.

GaZsTiC
25th January 2011, 5:01 PM
Everyone here has so little imagination. The 3DS would do "nothing" to the franchise? Really?

Poke_Mania97
25th January 2011, 5:03 PM
Well i think that the 3rd Game will be on the ds series, whilst the possible remakes are on the 3ds. although grey would be good on the 3DS, it will be cool. However nintendo have said they wont stop ds support just yet, cause of the 3DS price, and some people may just stick with their current ds,ds lite,dsi etc.

Aurath8
25th January 2011, 6:07 PM
Sometimes you must wonder when fans will realise Nitendo is a business whose sole existence is to make money. Will RS remakes money? They damn will. What are the chances therefore? Likely, more than even at the least.

SasakiThePikachu
25th January 2011, 6:11 PM

Wasn't there a discussion identical to this one about a month go? And the month before that, too?

I happen to agree with you that the remakes aren't needed (especially as I'm one of these 'dinosaurs' who still owns a DS lite with GBA slot capabilities and only played emerald version for the first time last year :P ), but as many others have and no doubt will point out, it isn't necessity that gets games made, it's money. Yeah it is still totally possible to get 3rd gen pokemon to the 5th gen, albeit in a complicated way, but NINTENDO LIEK ZEH MONEYS.

There will be Hoenn remakes. Period. And the 'necessity' part aside, wouldn't you like to see Hoenn in full, glorious gen 5 graphics? I sure as hell would.

The Eleventh
25th January 2011, 6:12 PM
The 3DS would be amazing for Pokémon. Just look at what GF did with those cut scenes. And they made for DS! Now, imagine much, much better cut scenes. Also, we'd get many more added features and locations, as the 3DS games cartridges can hold a lot more data than DS ones (more than a GameCube disc can, actually).

I happen to agree with you that the remakes aren't needed (especially as I'm one of these 'dinosaurs' who still owns a DS lite with GBA slot capabilities and only played emerald version for the first time last year :P ), but as many others have and no doubt will point out, it isn't necessity that gets games made, it's money. Yeah it is still totally possible to get 3rd gen pokemon to the 5th gen, albeit in a complicated way

Yes! I still have my original DS, and I also only played Emerald for the first time last year! Good point about transferring from Gen III to Gen V, though. GF are clearly cutting off a lot of connectivity with RSE. A remake will happen, of course it will. When? No idea.

silver wing 22
25th January 2011, 6:22 PM
they said that pokemon games are due to release for the nintendo 3ds
and if so i expect during the summer they wilol have a 3d pokemon game on the new system

Poke_Mania97
25th January 2011, 7:01 PM
The 3DS would be amazing for Pokémon. Just look at what GF did with those cut scenes. And they made for DS! Now, imagine much, much better cut scenes. Also, we'd get many more added features and locations, as the 3DS games cartridges can hold a lot more data than DS ones (more than a GameCube disc can, actually).

Yes! I still have my original DS, and I also only played Emerald for the first time last year! Good point about transferring from Gen III to Gen V, though. GF are clearly cutting off a lot of connectivity with RSE. A remake will happen, of course it will. When? No idea.

i agree so much with u! i mean cutscenes in pokemon are awseome, if they made some sort of 3D Custscene where the characters talk with their voice artists in the Anime then that would be sick, but thats unlikely

Dr. Leggs
25th January 2011, 7:14 PM
Don't go too far Emerald was for the GBA even though the DS was already out. And it had no DS features.

What? The GBA and DS are entirely different systems. No GBA game had any 'DS features' anyway, and the DS is the direct predecessor of the 3DS. It's almost guaranteed that there'll be some sort of 3DS enhancement.

ForeverFlame
25th January 2011, 8:20 PM
What do game consoles have to do with the new Pokemon? I don't mean to mini-mod or anything, but it's annoying when you're looking to discuss the new Pokemon and everyone's talking about remakes and the 3DS.

CaptainCombusken
25th January 2011, 8:29 PM
Hoenn was my first region. I've since played the past games, and enjoyed them, but my heart, my true beginning into the world of Pokemon, started with Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire. They were the first Pokemon games I owned that actually worked properly and I adored them.

So, even though i know they probably will make the remakes just for a little extra dosh, I still hope they do make them because Hoenn would look divine in 5th gen stylee graphics (and maybe even the 3DS- if this happens I could see there being a 3DS version and a DS version just like the firts Mystery Dungeon agmes).

Chibi_Muffin
25th January 2011, 9:06 PM
...There's something I don't get. Why is there so much hate directed towards Vanillux and Garbador when other new Pokémon, or indeed, older ones, like Chandelure, Klink and Baltoy, do not get as much hate, despite being simple inanimate objects like the former?

lindsy95
25th January 2011, 9:10 PM
Well, it may be because one is based off of food and the other is an object.

Apokemon that looks luke food is kinda awkward. Same for the... uh... trash pokemon.

Endless
25th January 2011, 9:11 PM
...There's something I don't get. Why is there so much hate directed towards Vanillux and Garbador when other new Pokémon, or indeed, older ones, like Chandelure, Klink and Baltoy, do not get as much hate, despite being simple inanimate objects like the former?

believe me, Klink did get alot of hate. Chandelure on the other hand, well I just think it's design got overshadowed by the amazing abillity. Can't speak for Baltoy as I was not around at that time.

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th January 2011, 9:13 PM
Alright.

Assuming the 3rd Game is coming next year, it will be out in September in Japan. 18 months after the DS/DSi/DSXL effectively die.

Regardless of what is released, September 2012 (JPN) is likely the next release of a major Pokemon-related game from GF. Not giving it 3DS enhancements would be dumb and lazy and potentially damaging to the product.

GF is rumored to have been one of the first companies to have got 3DS development kits.
They're currently looking to hire a lot of experienced programmers, 'in a hurry'.
You don't hire people unless you have work for them.
It's safe bet, in my opinion that they are about to/already working on something for the 3DS.
(To put this in perspective, James Turner was hired 11 months before BW's release and he managed to design at least 5 Pokemon and all the 3D cut scenes in the game).

However, regardless of what is coming, when and for what system, it's almost certain that the 3rd game, RSE remakes (if they're coming), and Gen 6 are currently being worked on in some capacity .

MetalFlygon08
25th January 2011, 9:38 PM
Well, it may be because one is based off of food and the other is an object.

Apokemon that looks luke food is kinda awkward. Same for the... uh... trash pokemon.

Well, we have had pokemon from the so-called perfect generation that was based of waste. Grimer and Muk never got any hate.

Maverik
25th January 2011, 9:49 PM
People use these families of Pokemon as justification for their fan rage of the entire generation, when in fact we received some new designs such as a Hydra and a Zebra.

<3 Vanilluxe

Sabonea_Masukippa
25th January 2011, 9:54 PM
Well, we have had pokemon from the so-called perfect generation that was based of waste. Grimer and Muk never got any hate.

We also had a Pokemon that looked like food (eggs) but was really something else (seeds).

Many people have a disease I call 'Charchumewlax', which you can identify by the person only seeming to remember Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Snorlax (and in that order) from the first generation. They therefore assume every Pokemon numbered past 151 (occaisonally 251) is an ugly, deformed, too cutesy, over designed, too simple, idea-devoid, too unique mess that does not look like a Pokemon.

Lesser infected individuals will still remember those four first, but are able to acknowledge that there were other Pokemon in first gen, although they often can't actually remember what any/many of them looked like (the most common 'secondary' memories are of Gyarados, Dragonite, Blastoise and Sycther).

These people, if encountered, should be either shot on sight, or ignored until they go back to watching Japanese cartoons 24/7.

Cldawson
25th January 2011, 10:13 PM
I only came into the pokemon games full time, instead of only watching friends play, In the fourth gen. I know all the pokemon, and i plan on memorizing all the new ones too, but i think they could have added some of the pokemon as evolutions of other ones, like emonga could have been an evolution of Pachirisu. Just my opinion.