PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

lindsy95
25th January 2011, 11:22 PM
Well, part of the point of unova was... it was pretty much a reboot. That is why there are no new evoloutions of old pokemon.

Yanappu
25th January 2011, 11:28 PM
Well, part of the point of unova was... it was pretty much a reboot. That is why there are no new evoloutions of old pokemon.

You mean a restart? A reboot is when you remake something. I don't see how Unova, a completely new region with completely new Pokemon with no relations to old Pokemon is a reboot.

Maverik
25th January 2011, 11:37 PM
Reboot is synonymous for restart.
And Emonga is this region's pika-clone, it doesn't need to be an evolution of a previous Pokemon.

SasakiThePikachu
26th January 2011, 12:04 AM
You mean a restart? A reboot is when you remake something. I don't see how Unova, a completely new region with completely new Pokemon with no relations to old Pokemon is a reboot.

It is a reboot of the franchise - the names suggest it, going back to basic monochrome after all the previous gens went through colour and then precious metal...and the pokemon also suggest it, the way some of the new ones are in no way related to the Kanto pokes yet obviously reference them in an affectionate kind of nostalgia nod...Woobat to Zubat, Bouffalant to Tauros, etc.

Dr. Leggs
26th January 2011, 12:38 AM
Many people have a disease I call 'Charchumewlax', which you can identify by the person only seeming to remember Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Snorlax (and in that order) from the first generation. They therefore assume every Pokemon numbered past 151 (occaisonally 251) is an ugly, deformed, too cutesy, over designed, too simple, idea-devoid, too unique mess that does not look like a Pokemon.

Cannot begin to tell you how true this is. All I ever hear beyond my Pokemon-versed friends is Pikachu/Charizard/Squirtle/Snorlax. It's just terribly frustrating. '~'

Mighty Arceus493
26th January 2011, 1:06 AM
Cannot begin to tell you how true this is. All I ever hear beyond my Pokemon-versed friends is Pikachu/Charizard/Squirtle/Snorlax. It's just terribly frustrating. '~'
I know what you mean. Life moves on!

Maverik
26th January 2011, 1:09 AM
People will find excuses to dislike anything, best to just ignore them until they go away.
Although most of them just say these things to try to fit in with the vocal minority, which is annoying, but no one really cares.

Maltba
26th January 2011, 2:23 AM
Eventually everybodys gonna calm down and realize the new pokemon and their names arent bad at all. I remember back when DP were releasing and everybody was torn about piplups name. Now, nobody even cares or complains. the same will happen with the 5th gen.

Disgruntled Goat
26th January 2011, 3:26 AM
Hasn't anyone thought that Drillbur and Excadrill could refer to burrow and excavate, instead of Excalibur?
Who said it was Excalibur? It's obviously excavate like you said, Excalibur doesn't even fit with the Pokemon's design.

What do game consoles have to do with the new Pokemon? I don't mean to mini-mod or anything, but it's annoying when you're looking to discuss the new Pokemon and everyone's talking about remakes and the 3DS.
Yeah that was probably my fault, sorry. I just wanted to know when we might get info. Maybe it should be broken off into a separate thread if people want to discuss it further.

I'll just add this: the next release is 99.9% guaranteed to be on the 3DS. It may be 'Gray' or it may be Ruby/Sapphire remakes (yes, they will remake them - bringing back Dive as a HM is a big clue). You can already see from Black/White that they wanted it in 3D.

Dr. Leggs
26th January 2011, 3:47 AM
Who said it was Excalibur? It's obviously excavate like you said, Excalibur doesn't even fit with the Pokemon's design.

Some people are claiming that Excadrill and Drilbur come from 'Excalibur' because... Excadrill is very strong? And Steel-type?

It's a pretty bad case.

Gus Portual
26th January 2011, 4:44 AM
It actually is a reference to Excalibur playing with the fact that it also relates to Excavate and burrow.

The first games were on an obselete console, with obsolete graphics and were bound to be revamped because they were the beggining of the series.

The second games were just unavailables, the GS cartridges were rendered useless due to the batteries as far as I've heard so it was pretty much a necessity.

RSE are on full color, with great graphics, and can be played in the DS with ease.

Says you, Mr Man! I still play the Gameboy games often, both on an emulator on my DSiXL and on the original machine. Gold and Silver work without a problem. Some people might have had that problem, but I haven't...

Anyway, a Hoenn remake could be on the works for the 3DS, but it sounds weird. I think they might skip Gen 5 and it may come out for Gen 6 when its too far away.

Tyrannotaur
26th January 2011, 4:47 AM
Some people are claiming that Excadrill and Drilbur come from 'Excalibur' because... Excadrill is very strong? And Steel-type?

It's a pretty bad case.

I'm pretty sure its due to the word Excalibur being in the evolution line that has people thinking that. Excadrill and Drillbur. Also Excalibur was the sword that King Arthur pulled out of the earth(a stone specifically). Considering Excadrill and Drillbur have metal claws that they use to burrow through the earth, it is plausible. Obviously however the main meanings behind their names are Excavate+Drill and Drill+Burrow. Also in Drillbur's case, they could have named it Drillburo. Clearly Drillbur sounds better (and doesn't sound like the Spanish word for donkey), but I wouldn't rule out Excalibur being part of the name. Its a bit of a stretch, but there's no real way to disprove it other than asking the localization team and I don't think they are doing interviews :P.

-;248;

BCVM22
26th January 2011, 4:55 AM
It actually is a reference to Excalibur

I think they might skip Gen 5 and it may come out for Gen 6 when its too far away.

Both of these make no sense. There is no reason they'd reference a mythical sword in the name of a drilling mole Pokémon, and I have no idea what you're trying to get at with "when its too far away." By the time it's feasible to begin discussing any potential remakes in this generation, Ruby and Sapphire will be a decade old.

Cobalt_Latios
26th January 2011, 4:57 AM
Alright.

Assuming the 3rd Game is coming next year, it will be out in September in Japan. 18 months after the DS/DSi/DSXL effectively die.

Regardless of what is released, September 2012 (JPN) is likely the next release of a major Pokemon-related game from GF. Not giving it 3DS enhancements would be dumb and lazy and potentially damaging to the product.

GF is rumored to have been one of the first companies to have got 3DS development kits.
They're currently looking to hire a lot of experienced programmers, 'in a hurry'.
You don't hire people unless you have work for them.
It's safe bet, in my opinion that they are about to/already working on something for the 3DS.
(To put this in perspective, James Turner was hired 11 months before BW's release and he managed to design at least 5 Pokemon and all the 3D cut scenes in the game).

However, regardless of what is coming, when and for what system, it's almost certain that the 3rd game, RSE remakes (if they're coming), and Gen 6 are currently being worked on in some capacity .
Holy... that sure puts things into perspective.

At this point, I don't really know what to think. If this is what we can expect from GF, then I have all faith in them for whatever it is they're going to do. But damn, that's impressive.

We also had a Pokemon that looked like food (eggs) but was really something else (seeds).

Many people have a disease I call 'Charchumewlax', which you can identify by the person only seeming to remember Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo and Snorlax (and in that order) from the first generation. They therefore assume every Pokemon numbered past 151 (occaisonally 251) is an ugly, deformed, too cutesy, over designed, too simple, idea-devoid, too unique mess that does not look like a Pokemon.
This also conforms to about 2/3 of the comments I've seen on Youtube. Kind of sad really.

I also know some people like this... but it usually stems from a dislike to the actual anime rather than the games.

Lesser infected individuals will still remember those four first, but are able to acknowledge that there were other Pokemon in first gen, although they often can't actually remember what any/many of them looked like (the most common 'secondary' memories are of Gyarados, Dragonite, Blastoise and Sycther).
Haven't met those ones yet.

These people, if encountered, should be either shot on sight, or ignored until they go back to watching Japanese cartoons 24/7.
Ignorance sounds better... and more effective, IMO. I could shoot them, but I'd rather just injure them, not outright kill them.

What sort of condition do you give to those that like anything past gen I, but don't necessarily dislike gen I?

/CL

Gus Portual
26th January 2011, 6:16 AM
Both of these make no sense. There is no reason they'd reference a mythical sword in the name of a drilling mole Pokémon, and I have no idea what you're trying to get at with "when its too far away." By the time it's feasible to begin discussing any potential remakes in this generation, Ruby and Sapphire will be a decade old.

The fact that it's a steel pokémon and, well, the fact that its in the name, point in that direction. It's a pun, a reference. It doesn't need to make complete sense.

Exactly. It'll be a decade old. How old was Gold and Silver when the remakes came out?

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th January 2011, 6:30 AM
Holy... that sure puts things into perspective.
At this point, I don't really know what to think. If this is what we can expect from GF, then I have all faith in them for whatever it is they're going to do. But damn, that's impressive.

That's roughly what they were doing during 4th gen - at some point I'm sure Platinum, BW and HGSS were all being worked on simultaneously.

This also conforms to about 2/3 of the comments I've seen on Youtube. Kind of sad really.

Youtube comments are the universes way of punishing people who like to read.

I also know some people like this... but it usually stems from a dislike to the actual anime rather than the games.

The anime has a lot to do with overall public perception of the franchise, yes.

Haven't met those ones yet.

They are much less common.

What sort of condition do you give to those that like anything past gen I, but don't necessarily dislike gen I?

Umblazicariol? the disease by which people have a preference for Umbreon, Blaziken, Lucario and Absol? Maybe..idk...

Exactly. It'll be a decade old. How old was Gold and Silver when the remakes came out?

GS were a decade old. The point is that RS will reach that date in 2012 (for Japan) which isn't so far away, really.

MetalFlygon08
26th January 2011, 6:31 AM
10 years old, though RBY didn't get theirs on their 10th year for the record.

I'm willing to bet the name is solely on Excavate and Drill, becuase to drill a hole into the ground, you must excavate the earth, and the steel typing is from not only the drills (which all drills are made of metal), but to break bedrock and other under-earth substances, you need metal tools.

Cobalt_Latios
26th January 2011, 7:23 AM
That's roughly what they were doing during 4th gen - at some point I'm sure Platinum, BW and HGSS were all being worked on simultaneously.
You sure? Black and White are almost an entirely different beast. I don't see all of them being on the same plane. I mean, D/P/Pt are relatively similar, albeit Platinum has a somewhat stronger graphical overhaul. HGSS had a significant one, using more polygonal models than even it's predecessors. Finally, BW is practically 80% polygons with everything else being sprites.

That maybe be true, but I find it hard to wrap my head around it.

Youtube comments are the universes way of punishing people who like to read.
Not to mention the whole "Like/Dislike" thing going on. Quite pitiful.

The anime has a lot to do with overall public perception of the franchise, yes.
It's helpful in a way as it allows people to get an idea for what to expect from the games... but because people has decidedly jaded expectations/preferences, it makes it very hard to talk about the show without people repeatedly making remarks about it from the first season. Not that it's a bad thing.

You know, in a way, I'm almost glad that the anime isn't 100% like the games, mainly because it prevents them from potentially doing something that would give the games a bad rep.

Umblazicariol? the disease by which people have a preference for Umbreon, Blaziken, Lucario and Absol? Maybe..idk...
Aren't we forgetting gen 5 in there? Also, how the hell is it that half of the "well known" pokes from those gens are Dark or Fighting type? Odd...

If I may: "Umblazicariark" Simply swap Absol for Zoroark.

GS were a decade old. The point is that RS will reach that date in 2012 (for Japan) which isn't so far away, really.
A DP remake (2022) will be an interesting specimen, no? I can only imagine it would like something out of a Tales of game, visually. That's a frightening though O_0;;

/CL

R_N
26th January 2011, 7:41 AM
Figure I'd post this here, too
http://pokemonfigure.blogspot.com/20...collecton.html

Banpresto showed off a lot of their ufo catcher Pokemon plushies for this year (they plan to release every single Unova Pokemon, eventually!) and they look -great-.
And they even have some of the less popular or likely Pokemon, like Klink, the Reiunculus line, Amoongus, etc

I WANT SO MANY OF THESE SO BADLY YOU GUYS

BCVM22
26th January 2011, 7:45 AM
You sure? Black and White are almost an entirely different beast. I don't see all of them being on the same plane. I mean, D/P/Pt are relatively similar, albeit Platinum has a somewhat stronger graphical overhaul. HGSS had a significant one, using more polygonal models than even it's predecessors. Finally, BW is practically 80% polygons with everything else being sprites.

The nature of things almost dictates in and of itself that it would be true.

We know that preliminary work on the next generation begins almost as soon as the current generation's first games are in the can, so by definition, work on Black and White would have been going on as Platinum and HG/SS were being worked on. The fact that all seven of those games - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White - are on the same hardware (difficult as it can be to believe sometimes) means Black and White are likely running on a souped-up version of the Generation IV engine, improved by 3-4 more years of development advances.

Take all that and it's easy to believe that as they were working on Pt/HG/SS, they were also building up Black and White at the same time.

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th January 2011, 7:53 AM

Well, just because they were being worked on at the same time, doesn't mean it was by the same people or using the same engines or at the same stages. I'm sure that for the first year or so, that BW was just about concepts for stories, features, graphic designers visiting zoos, discussing what type balance they want, what animals to base the starters off of and so on with very little actual asset building or programming going on. Then they just start building from there, assigning people to work on different parts of different projects as necessitated by release date and expertise.

If I may: "Umblazicariark" Simply swap Absol for Zoroark.

Perfect.

A DP remake (2022) will be an interesting specimen, no? I can only imagine it would like something out of a Tales of game, visually. That's a frightening though O_0;;

Sweet mother of Ra, in 2022 I'll be ... never mind. But, if they follow on roughly a ten year thing, hypothetical Dp remakes (oh god, I feel dirty just saying that) could see a 2016 release...which is FS [hint the second word is scary].

Exodd
26th January 2011, 12:14 PM
Anyone else think Gothitelle looks like a nun? Also, did anyone figure out why Gothitelle is called the astral body Pokemon?

Sakrey
26th January 2011, 12:29 PM
# Gothilselle 576: It has the ability to predict future events based on the movement of the stars. It can also see its Trainer’s lifespan.

From Pokémon version White's japanese Pokédex entry

Cldawson
26th January 2011, 2:56 PM
Honestly, out of all the new pokemon, I only dislike a few of them. The one that looks like garbage and the final evolution of the fire type starter. And is it just me, or does Shinpora look like it has an Unown on its head

Shine
26th January 2011, 3:22 PM
Honestly, out of all the new pokemon, I only dislike a few of them. The one that looks like garbage

its movepool is even more garbage than its appearance.

It has 95 Base Attack, only 60 Base Special Attack, and the only physical STAB it has is Gunk Shot. I actually hope the third game or the R/S remake give it access to Poison Jab as well....

Dracoste
26th January 2011, 3:36 PM
its movepool is even more garbage than its appearance.

It has 95 Base Attack, only 60 Base Special Attack, and the only physical STAB it has is Gunk Shot. I actually hope the third game or the R/S remake give it access to Poison Jab as well....

It's an defensive pokémon, not all pokémon have to be sweepers..
It can learn toxic and toxic spikes, it can use stockpile to up his ef and sp. def. And when it's HP is low, it can let itself Explode to deal massive damage towards the opponent.

Cldawson
26th January 2011, 3:38 PM
Is this now a POTW thread. When this pokemon comes up on POTW you should put it on there

Shine
26th January 2011, 3:45 PM
It can learn toxic and toxic spikes, it can use stockpile to up his ef and sp. def. And when it's HP is low, it can let itself Explode to deal massive damage towards the opponent.

I never said anything about wanting it to be a sweeper.....

pokedexfiller
26th January 2011, 4:12 PM
It actually is a reference to Excalibur playing with the fact that it also relates to Excavate and burrow.
Did anyone notice this?

http://pokebeach.com/images/sprites/black-white/a/589.png
#589 - Escavalier
(Shubarugo)
Bug / Steel

He's got armor and jousting sticks. If Excalibur comes from a name, I think it's his.

LexSuicune
26th January 2011, 4:27 PM
Anyone else think Gothitelle looks like a nun? Also, did anyone figure out why Gothitelle is called the astral body Pokemon?

It looks like a Goth lolita to me lol.

And the Astral Body Pokemon bit is interesting considering its typing and Dex entries.

Lorde
26th January 2011, 4:41 PM
Anyone else think Gothitelle looks like a nun?

Next thing you know, she'll be in a futuristic music video while men in military uniforms dance around her. She might even eat some rosary beads while the men perform a complicated dance routine :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I don't think she looks like a nun at all. I think Gothitelle is just supposed to look interesting, which is why they probably gave her a design that resembles the gothic lolita style of clothing. I also read that its ability to predict the future using stars may allude to fortune tellers and that kind of stuff, which might explain why it is classified as the "Astral Body" Pokemon. I still think Gothitelle has more sense of fashion in one cell than any other character in the Pokemon franchise has in their entire body :/

pokedexfiller
26th January 2011, 4:55 PM
I still think Gothitelle has more sense of fashion in one cell than any other character in the Pokemon franchise has in their entire body :/
Jynx. XD

10charlimit

Luxrayess
26th January 2011, 5:39 PM
[SIZE="1"] I still think Gothitelle has more sense of fashion in one cell than any other character in the Pokemon franchise has in their entire body :/

Jynx. XD

No, no, no... It's Leafanny! Heck, she even makes her own clothing! :)

Dracoste
26th January 2011, 5:49 PM
Is this now a POTW thread. When this pokemon comes up on POTW you should put it on there

What!?!? I wasn't even going there, Shine only mentioned it's attack and special attack stat, so I said that attack and special attack isn't everything and that the strong side of it is it's defensive side, and he also said his movepool was garbage so I said some attacks that can be usefull...>_>

Chibi_Muffin
26th January 2011, 5:52 PM

Manidbuzz too! Granted, they're made out of bones... but still!

(Tee hee... Gypsy and Carrie are now SO gonna be the fashionistas of my Pokémon)

And it's Leavanny.

...Ooooh, I'm SOOOO looking forward to when Black comes out! About 37 days left... seems like ages. T_T When are we gonna get Celebi? After getting :386-s: on Sunday, Celebi's the only non-gen 5 legend and Pokémon I want to train missing...

Lorde
26th January 2011, 5:53 PM

Oh, don't remind me. I still haven't gotten its huge grin out of my head. I actually saw some interesting fan art for Leavanny the other day and they managed to make it look creepier because its grin was wider than ever. Creepiness aside, I might actually use a Leavanny in Black version. Sewaddle is just such a cute Pokemon and since it's found early in the game, I figure that I can capture it and use it as my main Grass-type instead of Lilligant or Whimsicott.

Poke_Mania97
26th January 2011, 5:56 PM
does anyone know if two players can face two other players on wifi?

Cldawson
26th January 2011, 6:15 PM
Yeah that Knight guy would definitely have come from Excalibur if anyone did

Larry
26th January 2011, 6:22 PM
does anyone know if two players can face two other players on wifi?

That was going to be my exact question!

Poke_Mania97
26th January 2011, 6:32 PM
That was going to be my exact question!

lol! me and my friend are good as a duo, so we wanted to know.

Shadow-charizard
26th January 2011, 6:39 PM
Did anyone notice this?

#589 - Escavalier
(Shubarugo)
Bug / Steel

He's got armor and jousting sticks. If Excalibur comes from a name, I think it's his.

I think it's actually the words escargo (French for snail) and cavalier which most likely comes from the jousting poles so not really excalibur

Aurath8
26th January 2011, 6:41 PM
Well, just because they were being worked on at the same time, doesn't mean it was by the same people or using the same engines or at the same stages. I'm sure that for the first year or so, that BW was just about concepts for stories, features, graphic designers visiting zoos, discussing what type balance they want, what animals to base the starters off of and so on with very little actual asset building or programming going on. Then they just start building from there, assigning people to work on different parts of different projects as necessitated by release date and expertise.

I'd just like to thow out here that BW have ben worked on for 1 1/2 years. So they were working on BW and HG/SS simlutaneously as HGSS were relased in 2009.

Excadrill + Drillbur
This concludes the Excadrill-Excalibur argument I beleive.

LexSuicune
26th January 2011, 6:45 PM
Anyone knows where Meraruba's japanese name comes from?

Mario with Lasers
26th January 2011, 6:54 PM
I'd just like to thow out here that BW have ben worked on for 1 1/2 years. So they were working on BW and HG/SS simlutaneously as HGSS were relased in 2009.

Excadrill + Drillbur

...How about Excavate+Drill and Drill+Burrow ?__? Excalibur has nothing to do with the mole line (learning Swords Dance isn't enough, hell, swords are nowhere in the pokémon's background), if anything, Excalibur would be on the Fighting legendaries' names.

Dracoste
26th January 2011, 6:54 PM
Anyone knows where Meraruba's japanese name comes from?

According to Bulbapedia, It's name may come from "meramera" (flare), and "larva".

Mario with Lasers
26th January 2011, 7:00 PM
also slow quote

Explosion sucks now, and it's not a matter of being a sweeper, but not being a sitting duck. STAB Poison doesn't help already, but having all your useful moves as special-based with a 60 Base Sp. Attack and 95 Base Attack really... doesn't help the slightest.

MetalFlygon08
26th January 2011, 7:04 PM

Excadrill + Drillbur

I didn't know there was a sword named Excaillbur[/sarcasm]

Aurath8
26th January 2011, 7:11 PM
...How about Excavate+Drill and Drill+Burrow ?__? Excalibur has nothing to do with the mole line (learning Swords Dance isn't enough, hell, swords are nowhere in the pokémon's background), if anything, Excalibur would be on the Fighting legendaries' names.

Yet still, how many puns does Hydreigon have again? About six. NoA love getting in as many puns as possible punnily enough.
So just to sweep up:

Drillbur = Drill + burrow -> Excalibur.
Excadrill = Excavate + drill ->^^

I'd like to add the fact that Excadrill has a Steel typing. Hone Claws being sharpening it's metal claws. Which reminds me, it learns Metal Claw. Digging is often done with a metal spade or metal machinery and Excadrill has a habit of digging with his sharp metal claws.
Did I remember to say a sword is often made of sharp METAL?

MetalFlygon08
26th January 2011, 7:31 PM
And excalibur was deals with digging tools now?

never thought i'd see the day a sacred sword would get clumped with dirty digging tools, but then I realized, I'm on the Internet.

Dr. Leggs
26th January 2011, 7:33 PM
Yet still, how many puns does Hydreigon have again? About six. NoA love getting in as many puns as possible punnily enough.

Jesus, are you one of those people who thinks NoA intentionally included 'High 'n' Dry' and 'Hydrogen' in Hydreigon's name...?

SasakiThePikachu
26th January 2011, 9:04 PM
# Gothilselle 576: It has the ability to predict future events based on the movement of the stars. It can also see its Trainer’s lifespan.

Holy ****, she did a deal to get a Shinigami's eyes?! o.O This, coupled with her shower-scene-from-psycho cry, makes me less and less keen to have her on my team. I'm bloody frightened!! ;___;

@ Leggs, I'm a person who thinks Ninty included 'hydrogen' as intentionally part of the pun in Hydreigon's name, what of it? I'd say its almost the most obvious joke of them all right after the hydra+dragon bit...especially if you don't happen to know german. And a lot of people don't.

Aurath8
26th January 2011, 10:05 PM
And excalibur was deals with digging tools now?

never thought i'd see the day a sacred sword would get clumped with dirty digging tools, but then I realized, I'm on the Internet.

I bolded it seven freakin' times but:
The sword refererence comes from the fact a sword is usually made of sharp metal. Excadrill also has sharp metal claws. Not everything related to a mole must be digging. Henry VII is connected to moles for the love of Parvati.
And may I add that Excalibur was pulled out of the earth(a rock specifically) by Arthur according to legend.

Tyrannotaur
26th January 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure its due to the word Excalibur being in the evolution line that has people thinking that. Excadrill and Drillbur. Also Excalibur was the sword that King Arthur pulled out of the earth(a stone specifically). Considering Excadrill and Drillbur have metal claws that they use to burrow through the earth, it is plausible. Obviously however the main meanings behind their names are Excavate+Drill and Drill+Burrow. Also in Drillbur's case, they could have named it Drillburo. Clearly Drillbur sounds better (and doesn't sound like the Spanish word for donkey), but I wouldn't rule out Excalibur being part of the name. Its a bit of a stretch, but there's no real way to disprove it other than asking the localization team and I don't think they are doing interviews :P.

-;248;
No one read what I posted I guess..

I

Excadrill + Drillbur

Yes. What I said before. No one seems to see that the word Excalibur is in the evolution line. this could be a coincidence, but that's the basis of people thinking that there is a reference to the mythical sword.

So just to sweep up:

Drillbur = Drill + burrow -> Excalibur.
Excadrill = Excavate + drill ->^^

I'd like to add the fact that Excadrill has a Steel typing. Hone Claws being sharpening it's metal claws. Which reminds me, it learns Metal Claw. Digging is often done with a metal spade or metal machinery and Excadrill has a habit of digging with his sharp metal claws.
Did I remember to say a sword is often made of sharp METAL?

I'd also like to add that besides Excadrill being a steel type and have a lot to do with being sharp and pointy, Excalibur was the sword in the stone. The sword had pierced the stone and could only be removed by the boy who would become King Arthur. A Metal object piercing a stone=Mining= a drill/excavator.
Also coincidentally there is a mining company named after Excalibur (http://www.excalibar.com/plants).

All of this is very likely coincidental, however just flat out denying there is no connection is just silly. As I said before there is no way to disprove that the localization team purposely included the word Excalibur in the evolution line. There is also no real way of proving they didn't and its just a coincidence its in there. All we can do is speculate.
-;248;

Dr. Leggs
26th January 2011, 10:44 PM
@ Leggs, I'm a person who thinks Ninty included 'hydrogen' as intentionally part of the pun in Hydreigon's name, what of it? I'd say its almost the most obvious joke of them all right after the hydra+dragon bit...especially if you don't happen to know german. And a lot of people don't.

Hydreigon and Hydrogen only superficially look similar; they don't sound the same, as the "-gon" in Hydreigon is not at all the same as the "-gen" in hydrogen. I feel like it's almost certainly coincidental; find me another Pokemon whose name makes an OBVIOUS pun with it's ability and maybe I'll see it.

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th January 2011, 11:01 PM
I'd just like to throw out here that BW have been worked on for 1 1/2 years. So they were working on BW and HG/SS simultaneously as HGSS were released in 2009.

Yes, but initial planning and concepts where happening shortly after DP arrived, in 2006.
The Dream World alone took 1.5 years to get right.

Luxrayess
26th January 2011, 11:09 PM
Yes, but initial planning and concepts where happening shortly after DP arrived, in 2006.
The Dream World alone took 1.5 years to get right.

And even still, it took a few months to get some of the kinks out when it was up and running, but that's another story

RitterCat
26th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Has anyone considered this: Ninty intended BOTH the Excalibur reference AND excavate and bury to be puns in the name *shock horror*

MetalFlygon08
26th January 2011, 11:18 PM
I bolded it seven freakin' times but:
The sword refererence comes from the fact a sword is usually made of sharp metal. Excadrill also has sharp metal claws. Not everything related to a mole must be digging. Henry VII is connected to moles for the love of Parvati.
And may I add that Excalibur was pulled out of the earth(a rock specifically) by Arthur according to legend.

then by your logic, Yanma must deal with yams becuase bugs pollinate plants, and Yan is almost Yam (same as Excailbur to Excaliber). see where your logic fails when applied to other pokemon?

Shadow-charizard
26th January 2011, 11:32 PM
then by your logic, Yanma must deal with yams becuase bugs pollinate plants, and Yan is almost Yam (same as Excailbur to Excaliber). see where your logic fails when applied to other pokemon?

Thankyou!!! This is ridiculous "oh, well swords are made of metal he's steel type so it must be true" surely you're just hoping for it to be true but the simplest explanation is mostly the correct one
Also Excalibur was pulled from a "STONE" meaning rock if you're going by the earth theory. Surely it's because it's a frikkin MOLE!!!

Gus Portual
27th January 2011, 2:08 AM

LOL

Yeah, it's the same thing. (sarcasm)

I don't understand why people are so opposed to this. It's a pun. And yes, I believe that both excavate and burrow are in the name too. Hence the pun.

I love how you guys make a big deal out of this, just like when people said that Unova was New York. "Nooo because Pokemon is always in Japan blah blah blah". Same thing here: "Noooo because the meaning is Excavate and Drill!"

Smartasses.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 2:52 AM
That's a completely terrible analogy and you know it.

Gus Portual
27th January 2011, 2:58 AM
It's good enough to get the point through. I'm assuming of course you're talking about the New York Vs Excalibur thing I wrote, right? Well it's not as terrible as the Yams Vs Excalibur so I think I still make my point.

Which is (if it wasn't clear enough) "Who cares".

MetalFlygon08
27th January 2011, 4:13 AM
That's a completely terrible analogy and you know it.

Whose to say Excailbur isn't terrible, it's not even spelt Excaliber, it's spelt Excailbur, as in Ecks-AIL-bur, that's just straw grapsing, an no matter how many people agree or disagree, you can't prove it outside of saying the localization team sucks at spelling. or they plain and simple mean Excavate and Burrow.

and to to it off, nobody sems to notice the only Knight-like feature of Excadril's design, which would really help their argument, though still not prove anything.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 4:23 AM
Whose to say Excailbur isn't terrible, it's not even spelt Excaliber, it's spelt Excailbur, as in Ecks-AIL-bur, that's just straw grapsing, an no matter how many people agree or disagree, you can't prove it outside of saying the localization team sucks at spelling. or they plain and simple mean Excavate and Burrow.

and to to it off, nobody sems to notice the only Knight-like feature of Excadril's design, which would really help their argument, though still not prove anything.

I'm confused, are you agreeing with me? Because I thought we were agreeing. @_@

You can't say it's either way for sure, you're not the localization team (saying this to people in general). Yes, NoA likes to be punny but there's a point where it's making a huge, ridiculous stretch (Hydreigon = Hydrogen).

MetalFlygon08
27th January 2011, 4:34 AM
I was using your statement as grounds for my stateentto build off of, so to speak.

Ophie
27th January 2011, 11:41 AM
Regarding Garbodor, because it's so hated, it's been one of the Pokémon I've been looking at for possible strategies. I think Garbodor would work best in rotation battles, particularly with Breakable Armor.

I don't particularly like the offensive capabilities of the Poison-type, but defensively, it's resistant to Grass, Fighting, Poison, and Bug. You predict the opponent rotating into a move of one of those types and bring out Garbodor, and you get a speed boost. Adamant (or neutral) will outrun anything Base 120 unboosted or lower, and Jolly will outrun anything Base 130 unboosted or lower.

While not a particularly strong move, especially on Garbodor, Clear Smog can be quite devastating. Rotation battles have a higher emphasis on stat buffs than other battling environments, at least from experienced players I've watched. If someone has been stat-buffing too much, bring in Garbodor and have them all reset. It can also learn Haze as an Egg Move if the Pokémon you don't mind an arena-wide effect.

Meanwhile, Garbodor can use Stockpile, Amnesia, and/or Rock Polish to increase its own stats. And like all other Pokémon, it can serve as the Protect user to cone in and block an attack for the other two Pokémon.

Acid Bomb will cut the target's Special Defense in half. In single battling, this would call for a switch, but in all other battling environments, switching is much more risky. While it'd work better in a double or triple battle, an Armor-boosted Garbodor can do a one-two punch with Acid Bomb and a special sweeper, granting automatic double damage.

In other words, Garbodor seems to be designed as a support Pokémon in environments aside from single battling, where it powers itself up, softens up the opponents, and lets its teammates finish them off. Kind of like the effects of a giant pile of decomposing trash on real people.

Of course, I'd have to test this out myself. I like to use unconventional Pokémon (any one who's seen me battling will know this), and I'll more than likely put Garbodor into the rotation battle team after the one in my signature.

Did anyone notice this?

#589 - Escavalier
(Shubarugo)
Bug / Steel

Escavalier's name is based off of the words "escargot," "cavalier," and "chevalier." It has nothing to do with Excalibur. For that matter, if you ask me, neither do Drillbur's or Excadrill's.

Neon-Snorlax702
27th January 2011, 11:43 AM
:) yeah, what do you all think of the three new starters??? :D

Zhanton
27th January 2011, 12:42 PM
:) yeah, what do you all think of the three new starters??? :D

*erhem* I'd just like to alert you that the starters were actually revealed eight months ago, so the discussion on them is practically dead.
Having said that, however, I adore Oshawott and think Tepig is quite cute. Snivy's my least favourite, though, although it's still quite cool.

Regarding Garbodor, because it's so hated, it's been one of the Pokémon I've been looking at for possible strategies. I think Garbodor would work best in rotation battles, particularly with Breakable Armor.

I agree, Breakable Armor looks like it will be quite a good ability for Garbodor. It's a shame everyone thinks its design is so repulsive - to be honest, I like this line of Poison Types. :]

ToddCam
27th January 2011, 4:03 PM

What is Excaliber? The sword is Excalibur. Whether or not this was intended with Drilbur, the "u" is there.

CaptainCombusken
27th January 2011, 4:57 PM
I would also like to point out that Excalibur is pronounced Ecks (Like explode) -cal (as in alistair)-ibb (as in fib or jib)-urr (like Timburr and Girdurr), not "Ecks-AIL-bur", so Excavate and Burrow at the right thing said phonetically.
On top of that, as people have pointed out, there is a mining company called Excalibur.
Excalibur was the Sword in the Stone.
Excadrill was huge metal claws that could be seen as rather "Swordlike"
This is rather unrelated, but his patterns on his Stomach are sharp and almost dagger/sword like.
His head Metal thing looks a little like a Knight's helmet.
Swords Dance.
This is all speculation and may not be true and may be just a coincidence. NoA like to punify as much as possible, so i don't see why this can't be the meaning. And even if it is, so what? Stop arguing about something so petty as WHAT A NAME MEANS...
It's both, Simples.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 5:07 PM
Keep in mind, Ophie, that Breakable Armour only works with physical attacks.

Ekul the Sarcastic
27th January 2011, 5:31 PM
It's only contact moves, not just physical attacks, right?

In other words, the one physical move people want to use on him the most (Earthquake) won't trigger Breakable Armour. That kinda sucks.

Aurath8
27th January 2011, 7:03 PM
I'm confused, are you agreeing with me? Because I thought we were agreeing. @_@

You can't say it's either way for sure, you're not the localization team (saying this to people in general). Yes, NoA likes to be punny but there's a point where it's making a huge, ridiculous stretch (Hydreigon = Hydrogen).

The only largely noticiable difference between the two words is the 'g' sound. If 'drei' and 'gen' are stressed less it adds to this similarities. Sazandora doesn't have large enough wings (if you can call them wings) to fly and so levitates. Hydrogen is lighter than air and would rise like Sazandora. I really don't see why it's is some huge ridiculous stretch and that you seem to think a pun or part of one must be directly placed into the pokemon's name to be accepted as an intended pun.

To make this post more relevant:
What does everyone think of the non-starter/legend Water types this gen? There aren't nearly as many choices in Unova. 7 choices to be exact (but Alomomola and Basauro aren't too desirable) leaving only Hiyakkie, Gamergeroge, Burungeru and Abagoura to choose from.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 7:16 PM
Sazandora doesn't have large enough wings (if you can call them wings) to fly and so levitates.
No, it flies. Have you seen its animation? Dragonite has much smaller wings and still flies.

Hydrogen is lighter than air and would rise like Sazandora.
This is the same logic as the person who posited Yanma = yams because bugs pollinate plants.

I really don't see why it's is some huge ridiculous stretch and that you seem to think a pun or part of one must be directly placed into the pokemon's name to be accepted as an intended pun.
Well, truthfully, we can't get in the heads of the localization teams so there's no point in arguing it further. I'm just fairly sure that Hydreigon's "similarity" to hydrogen and Drilbur/Excadrill's "similarity" are entirely coincidentally, unintended and being overanalyzed by the community.

What does everyone think of the non-starter/legend Water types this gen? There aren't nearly as many choices in Unova. 7 choices to be exact (but Alomomola and Basauro aren't too desirable) leaving only Hiyakkie, Gamergeroge, Burungeru and Abagoura to choose from.
Personally, I was relieved at the low number of Water-types, and for once I don't really think I'll be using one on my team (Kanto and Sinnoh especially had mad quantities of Water-types). Alomomola and Seismitoad are meh, I doubt I'll ever use them. And I can't stand Simipour. However, Basculin, Jellicent and Carracosta are definitely Pokemon I may use at some point, as well as Samurott.

MetalFlygon08
27th January 2011, 7:23 PM
I would also like to point out that Excalibur is pronounced Ecks (Like explode) -cal (as in alistair)-ibb (as in fib or jib)-urr (like Timburr and Girdurr), not "Ecks-AIL-bur", so Excavate and Burrow at the right thing said phonetically.
On top of that, as people have pointed out, there is a mining company called Excalibur.
Excalibur was the Sword in the Stone.
Excadrill was huge metal claws that could be seen as rather "Swordlike"
This is rather unrelated, but his patterns on his Stomach are sharp and almost dagger/sword like.
His head Metal thing looks a little like a Knight's helmet.
Swords Dance.
This is all speculation and may not be true and may be just a coincidence. NoA like to punify as much as possible, so i don't see why this can't be the meaning. And even if it is, so what? Stop arguing about something so petty as WHAT A NAME MEANS...
It's both, Simples.

You missed the point

if we take Excadril and Drilbur

you either excailbur or excalbur both of which are not the sword.

Chibi_Muffin
27th January 2011, 7:23 PM

Well, they're pretty good. I'm getting Alomomola, Jellicent/Burungel and Simipour/Hiyakkie. Fwee, free reggae monkey. =] My brother LOVES turtles, so there's no hope of me getting Carracosta/Abagoura. But I don't mind, I prefer Archeo(p)s anyways.

Sponge
27th January 2011, 8:08 PM
You missed the point

To be fair, pokemon names don't always take the exact name of something as inspiration. Many pokemon names are made up of misspellings or mangled versions of real words.

Aurath8
27th January 2011, 8:19 PM
No, it flies. Have you seen its animation? Dragonite has much smaller wings and still flies.
I knew you'd reference Draggy, I just knew it. Besides Draggy's wings sort of 'grow bigger' while it flies and 'shrink' as it lands. Blame the anime as our only source of seeing Draggy flying. And no way could Sazandora fly on those alone. Pokemon that do fly flap there wings very often(look at Wargle or kokoromori's animated sprites) yet Sazandora does so every three seconds which isn't nearly enough to sustain flight on it's 'wings'.

This is the same logic as the person who posited Yanma = yams because bugs pollinate plants.

Dragonflies don't pollinate as far as I know. I think some Yams are wind-pollinated too. And if it were related to Yams one would expect it would be called 'Yamma', no?

To me this gen's water types felt very limiting. Abagoura is my hands down favourite but other than Otamaro and hiyappu (if you chose Snivy) there aren't any waters 'til after the 4th gym where you get the mediocre Koaruhie. Post-gym 6 you can get Pururiru and Basauro but Pururiru is nowhere outside of Hodomoe City and the hidden Route 17 and 18. After that you can... oh, we've run out of usable water types. Oh, wait no there's... Alomomola. On second thought we have run out of usable water types.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 8:33 PM
I knew you'd reference Draggy, I just knew it.
...Congratulations? Good work? High-five?

And no way could Sazandora fly on those alone. Pokemon that do fly flap there wings very often(look at Wargle or kokoromori's animated sprites) yet Sazandora does so every three seconds which isn't nearly enough to sustain flight on it's 'wings'.
...And Gliscor's Pokedex entry maintains it can soar the world with a single flap. I do hope you're not trying to bring up physics in a Pokemon debate.

Dragonflies don't pollinate as far as I know. I think some Yams are wind-pollinated too. And if it were related to Yams one would expect it would be called 'Yamma', no?
It's about as much of a stretch as Excalibur is. If you can get Excalibur from Excadrill and Drilbur (which gives you 'Excalbur'), surely you can do the same with Yanma?

Tyrannotaur
27th January 2011, 8:35 PM
You missed the point

Oh please, You're splitting hairs. Anyone who read excailbur or excalbur would understand its meant to be Excalibur. How many other words are misspelled in pokemon? Many.
Whether or not the word Excalibur was meant to be in there, its still there. There is no way of proving if it was intentional or not. No point in bickering over tiny little details.

Moving on...

The water types this gen are interesting. Carracosta, Swanna, Seismotoad, and Jellicent are probably my favorites. Simipour, Alomomola, and Basculin are still kinda iffy to me. Though I'm sure I'll get used to most of them when I actually play the game. Yes I use the names from that "unconfirmed" list. It's been confirmed for a while now in my eyes, but if you want to use Japanese names be my guest.
-;248;

Lorde
27th January 2011, 8:39 PM
So um, not to sound like a total hypocrite, but I went ahead and decided to download that Wi-Fi Zuruggu this morning. I had said before that I had no plans to download that Zuruggu because it didn't seem all-that important or special, but I decided I might as well obtain it since it's a free Pokemon. I used to really dislike Zuruggu since it got a lot of attention when it was revealed, just because its skin kept falling off (which people thought was cute for some reason). I still don't understand Zuruggu's appeal, but I don't hate it as much as I used to. I figure that I can just hang on to this event Zuruggu and trade it to other people for something else.

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 9:00 PM
You disliked a Pokemon because it received attention when it was revealed?

Maverik
27th January 2011, 9:02 PM
You disliked a Pokemon because it received attention when it was revealed?

It's that stupid thread in General Discussion that causes people to dislike Pokemon that are popular. I don't get it.
I like Scraggy, it looks absolutely ridiculous but cute. Scrafty is cool as well, I like the hood on its back.

Chibi_Muffin
27th January 2011, 9:18 PM
It's that stupid thread in General Discussion that causes people to dislike Pokemon that are popular. I don't get it.
I like Scraggy, it looks absolutely ridiculous but cute. Scrafty is cool as well, I like the hood on its back.

I actually like the Scraggy line as well. The pants/trousers (gonna call 'em pants, I mean they don't wear underwear underneath so they could be the British meaning of pants) animation is funny, hope it isn't overused though. The line is one of the few Dark types I like enough to train (the others are Sableye, Liepard, Hydreigon and Manibuzz - I like Darkrai and Zoroark as well, but avoid them for other reasons). They... just appear to have some kind of charm to me, when I first saw them I thought 'meh' but now I like them. It's the ¬_¬ facial expression, I guess. Scrafty's meant to be a gangster but he just looks daft and clueless. XD

Of course, if they're not your cup of tea, that's okay with me. That's just my personal opinion.

Sabonea_Masukippa
27th January 2011, 9:28 PM
To me this gen's water types felt very limiting.

It's one of the best things about the game.

mediocre Koaruhie.

Ducklett/Swanna are fine Pokemon for an in-game team. In fact, they're one of the strongest on my in-game team. Just don't expect them to take many hits.

isshoni
27th January 2011, 9:54 PM
To me this gen's water types felt very limiting.

It's one of the best things about the game.

I agree completely.

It's nice to finally have a region where water types aren't overly dominating. Other types need their chance to shine too.

Besides, I'm finding water types more and more boring by the day. It seems almost every single one's moveset has Surf and Ice Beam or Waterfall and Ice Punch/Fang on it. Of course they have awesome power and coverage, but in-game-wise it just gets too boring in the long run if you're always using the same set with only a different face.

I mean if I had for example Lapras, Politoed, Starmie or Golduck in-game, their movesets would have at least three identical moves, Psychic being the third. Then add something on the lines of Thunderbolt for Lapras and Starmie and Focus Blast for Golduck and Politoed and you get boring.

Thank god for the all fresh Unova.

Aurath8
27th January 2011, 10:28 PM
...And Gliscor's Pokedex entry maintains it can soar the world with a single flap. I do hope you're not trying to bring up physics in a Pokemon debate.
Oh yes I am!
1. While it cant soar the world, Wandering Albatross can soar for days. But it must be moving all the time and so would gliscor. Sazandora cant be moving much during the battle especially in enclosed spaces and it is certainly not enough to justify those weird rods sticking out if its back that most perceive as wings.
2. Pokedex entries are known to be inaccurate at times. Ever seen an Emboar use Fire Punch?

It's about as much of a stretch as Excalibur is. If you can get Excalibur from Excadrill and Drilbur (which gives you 'Excalbur'), surely you can do the same with Yanma?

Nope, not really. Making the connection that bugs pollinate is a very general one. There are millions of species of insects with most not pollinating plants. Plants itself refers to an entire Kingdom of organisms. There are millions of insect-pollinated species alone. Yams aren't one of them.
As I've said many times before the connection between sharp metal claws->sharp metal->swords->Excalibur is not a very stretched one. I don't see any Yanma learning Yam Throw or something. Doryuuzu learns Scratch, Fury Swipes, Slash, Swords Dance, Metal Claw, Hone Claws etc. And that was just its levelup movepool. There are many, many references to the sharpness of its metal claws and the similarities between them and swords.
And no, i will never let this go. Stubborness for the win.

Dracoste
27th January 2011, 10:29 PM
Wow, new names got out, what a surprise......
Seriously, it's now just immposible to doupt the list.

The Eleventh
27th January 2011, 10:36 PM
Yup, those names are now confirmed. No doubting it. I know he can't post them cos they're not "confirmed", but it's so funny when Serebii posts "New US Names Confirmed". We know almost all of them!

Roxas013
27th January 2011, 10:57 PM
I agree its so dumb 2 argue what da name means. who cares!!!! jus say it means both nd call it a day

Dr. Leggs
27th January 2011, 10:57 PM
Aurawarrior, I'm letting it go, because as you've said you won't leave it, and there's absolutely no point in arguing with a dogmatist.

Looks like there's no doubt for the new names now; that's good, I'd been a bit nervous for a while as I've been waiting for confirmation.

RitterCat
27th January 2011, 11:14 PM
Oh yes I am!
1. While it cant soar the world, Wandering Albatross can soar for days. But it must be moving all the time and so would gliscor. Sazandora cant be moving much during the battle especially in enclosed spaces and it is certainly not enough to justify those weird rods sticking out if its back that most perceive as wings.
To tell the truth, we won't really know until the anime if it uses them to fly or not
2. Pokedex entries are known to be inaccurate at times. Ever seen an Emboar use Fire Punch?

Nope, not really. Making the connection that bugs pollinate is a very general one. There are millions of species of insects with most not pollinating plants. Plants itself refers to an entire Kingdom of organisms. There are millions of insect-pollinated species alone. Yams aren't one of them. Ok Yanma probably wasn't the best example
As I've said many times before the connection between sharp metal claws->sharp metal->swords->Excalibur is not a very stretched one. Well, it kind of is. Given that they are both mining pokemon, wouldn't it be more likely for them to be jackhammers or drilling implements,'rather than a mythological swordI don't see any Yanma learning Yam Throw or something. Doryuuzu learns Scratch, Fury Swipes, Slash,As do basically all pkmn with claws or suchliek, doesn't prove swords Swords Dance, Lucario learns swords dance, and what reference is there to swords in its design. None, just metal pointy bits coming out of it's pawsMetal Claw, Hone ClawsAgain, claws=/=swords etc. And that was just its levelup movepool. There are many, many references to the sharpness of its metal claws and the similarities between them and swords.
And no, i will never let this go. Stubborness for the win.

Comments by me are in bold

Maverik
27th January 2011, 11:21 PM
Excalibur is a mining corporation, just putting that out there.
Now, can we stop arguing?

Aurath8
27th January 2011, 11:26 PM
Alright then no arguing until tomorrow afternoon. I'll try.
So let's talk about Golurk, Oobemu and Geechisu's team eh? Oobemu of all pokemon this gen deserves more recognition. Over the past 5ish months I've probably seen three or four teams using this pokemon.

SmartD
28th January 2011, 12:10 AM
Swanna and Victini keeps their names. Watchog, Deerling, and Basculin are decent, yet good names. I'll believe the list is real, but I want to be suprised until the games come out.

ABSOLute Zer0
28th January 2011, 12:16 AM
Personally, I think most of the new names sound dumb. There are a few that sound cool (Excadrill for example), but I'm trying to avoid looking at the new names until the game comes out in the US.

shadi1
28th January 2011, 12:24 AM
I got celebi ready for Zoruna

MetalFlygon08
28th January 2011, 12:43 AM
So let's talk about Golurk, Oobemu and Geechisu's team eh? Oobemu of all pokemon this gen deserves more recognition. Over the past 5ish months I've probably seen three or four teams using this pokemon.

Until then :)

Gete's team is kinda a mashup of the E4 and Champion, with a Seismatoad and Hydreigon added in.

Disgruntled Goat
28th January 2011, 3:41 AM
Hydrogen is lighter than air and would rise like Sazandora. I really don't see why it's is some huge ridiculous stretch and that you seem to think a pun or part of one must be directly placed into the pokemon's name to be accepted as an intended pun.
I actually took it from the fact hydrogen is flammable, and dragons breathe fire. The pun is definitely mixed in there. Even if it wasn't 100% intentional, the peeps at NoA obviously know it's in there.

You missed the point

Actually after seeing this I'm MORE convinced that the Excalibur reference is there and NoA know it. I'm sure they band around possible names and references and combinations for a while, and settle on whatever gives them the most number of puns :)

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th January 2011, 4:21 AM
I actually took it from the fact hydrogen is flammable, and dragons breathe fire. The pun is definitely mixed in there. Even if it wasn't 100% intentional, the peeps at NoA obviously know it's in there.

Really, now? No, really?

Actually after seeing this I'm MORE convinced that the Excalibur reference is there and NoA know it. I'm sure they band around possible names and references and combinations for a while, and settle on whatever gives them the most number of puns :)

Excalbur != Excalibur

XXD17
28th January 2011, 5:26 AM

Beheeyem is kind of overshadowed by Reuniclus and gothitelle...they can do what it does but better...gothitelle has it beat in the defenses department and reuniclus has it beat in the attacks and HP department and both have it beat in the move pool department...the majority of its moves are psychic type and it has no way of fending off dark types while the other two get focus blast...as for golurk, it's a lot more fragile than it looks...it has huge HP like emboar but it has low defenses along with being very slow...so it can't really wall but can actually fit in with trick room teams...it's attack is great...I use it with heavy bomber...

Dragonairlover
28th January 2011, 5:57 AM
I don't know if anyone else brought this up yet, but Hydreigon may have gotten it's name from Hydra, aka the multi-headed Dragon that Hercules slayed. Even though Hydra has 9 heads, it could still be influenced by it.Since drei is German for 3 and if you put Hy-drei you get Hydra.

Zhanton
28th January 2011, 6:15 AM
I don't know if anyone else brought this up yet, but Hydreigon may have gotten it's name from Hydra, aka the multi-headed Dragon that Hercules slayed. Even though Hydra has 9 heads, it could still be influenced by it.Since drei is German for 3 and if you put Hy-drei you get Hydra.

Nope, we all completely missed the fact that Hydreigon's name is a combination of hydra, drei, dragon and possibly hydrogen. Completely. Nobody noticed at all, even though the Pokemon has multiple heads.

/sarcasm

Mario with Lasers
28th January 2011, 10:04 AM
The only largely noticiable difference between the two words is the 'g' sound. If 'drei' and 'gen' are stressed less it adds to this similarities.

Problem is, "drei" in German is pronounced more or less like "dry" (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drei). There's no way to read it as anything close to "hydrogen".

So um, not to sound like a total hypocrite, but I went ahead and decided to download that Wi-Fi Zuruggu this morning. I had said before that I had no plans to download that Zuruggu because it didn't seem all-that important or special, but I decided I might as well obtain it since it's a free Pokemon. I used to really dislike Zuruggu since it got a lot of attention when it was revealed, just because its skin kept falling off (which people thought was cute for some reason). I still don't understand Zuruggu's appeal, but I don't hate it as much as I used to. I figure that I can just hang on to this event Zuruggu and trade it to other people for something else.

...Good for you?

Ophie
28th January 2011, 11:11 AM
A bunch of you have said "X, but let's not argue anymore." No, arguments don't work that way. Either you say X and continue it, or don't say X and tell people to stop. Otherwise, it just sounds like you all just want the last word.

It's not just here in Serebii. Anything that has a fandom will have people who will turn around and hate something the moment it becomes popular. Here is a TV Tropes article called, "It's Popular, Now it Sucks," (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle6cd1cskka05i) which has a long and comprehensive list of fandoms with lots of people who have such an attitude. Naturally, Pokémon is part of this list.

I mean if I had for example Lapras, Politoed, Starmie or Golduck in-game, their movesets would have at least three identical moves, Psychic being the third. Then add something on the lines of Thunderbolt for Lapras and Starmie and Focus Blast for Golduck and Politoed and you get boring.

Thank god for the all fresh Unova.

I have an all-Water team, and it works pretty well. Only four of the Pokémon have Water moves--the other two play on the opponent expecting them to have Water moves. (I believe three have Ice moves.) It's largely a matter of thinking outside the box. Well, that and Water Pokémon tend to fill a particular niche on a team. Assemble a team full of Water Pokémon, and other uses show up that wouldn't work on their own.

Beheeyem is kind of overshadowed by Reuniclus and gothitelle...they can do what it does but better...gothitelle has it beat in the defenses department and reuniclus has it beat in the attacks and HP department and both have it beat in the move pool department...the majority of its moves are psychic type and it has no way of fending off dark types while the other two get focus blast...as for golurk, it's a lot more fragile than it looks...it has huge HP like emboar but it has low defenses along with being very slow...so it can't really wall but can actually fit in with trick room teams...it's attack is great...I use it with heavy bomber...

Beheeyem is not meant for single battles. Its Abilities should make it clear, as two of its three possible Abilities only work in double battles and triple battles. It's a support Pokémon. Reuniclus is a bulky attacker.

isshoni
28th January 2011, 11:56 AM
I have an all-Water team, and it works pretty well. Only four of the Pokémon have Water moves--the other two play on the opponent expecting them to have Water moves. (I believe three have Ice moves.) It's largely a matter of thinking outside the box. Well, that and Water Pokémon tend to fill a particular niche on a team. Assemble a team full of Water Pokémon, and other uses show up that wouldn't work on their own.

This is exactly what I've been doing to keep myself from becoming too bored with water types. It's all about fresh and unorthodox ideas and using Pokémon that have previously gotten very little attention, and same goes for all types. Don't get me wrong here, I'm always falling for water types and out of this gen's very limited waters the only ones I'm not gonna use are Simipour and Basculin. I'm just too fond of water types to have a team without them.

Besides, my in-game preference of using almost only straight attacking moves surely affects my judgement. It's just too slow for my taste to use even simple stat-upping moves when you're just playing through the game and fighting dozens and dozens of trainers. Using the weaker of a certain Pokémon's attacking stats is something I do pretty often to keep things new and exciting. Competitive battling is where you always have to use the best moves and strategies, so to me in-game teams are all about me and what I want.

I was just making a point and saying that with Unova other types finally get a chance to shine too, or at least catch up in terms of volume.

Mario with Lasers
28th January 2011, 2:01 PM
Reuniclus is a bulky bastard.

there fixed it for ya

Chibi_Muffin
28th January 2011, 4:31 PM
^T_T

...Oh, Beeheeyem? I kind of like it. I'm getting one, anyways, so it's not missing out. It... just doesn't stand out that much. It's a cute alien, but nothing's really amazing about it.

Aurath8
28th January 2011, 4:51 PM
I blame huge amount of marketing the other pure Psychics this gen got for Behheyem's unpopularity. That and the absence of this thing outside the Tower of Heaven by which time most have already found the other Psychics already. No marketing pre-release, rarity, arguable inferiority and found later than all (except Meloetta) Psychic types.

Lorde
28th January 2011, 4:59 PM

Which thread are you referring to? And I'm glad that you enjoy Scraggy/Zuruggu, but others don't have to necessarily agree. I think it just looks pretentious, which is why I've never enjoyed it as much as others have. I saw the anime episode featuring Zuruggu the other day and even though it looked a bit funny in a few scenes, I still wasn't ready to jump on the Zuruggu bandwagon. Now Scrafty/Zuruzukin is a Pokemon I've actually come to enjoy a bit more. Funny how evolution makes a big difference.

...Good for you?

Thanks! ♥ (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/ginjou/zuzu.png)

SasakiThePikachu
28th January 2011, 5:23 PM
I blame huge amount of marketing the other pure Psychics this gen got for Behheyem's unpopularity. That and the absence of this thing outside the Tower of Heaven by which time most have already found the other Psychics already. No marketing pre-release, rarity, arguable inferiority and found later than all (except Meloetta) Psychic types.

But like Ophie said, the more popular something becomes, the more people hate it. It's a paradox.

I think Beheeyem got off lightly. No, it's not the greatest pokemon ever, but because it's under-used I'm sure it's popularity will soar at some point...especially if it gets some kind of cute pre-evo or massively powerful third stage evo next gen *nose begins to bleed from delving too far into the future*. Personally, I'm always attracted to the pokemon that most other trainers wouldn't sniff at. Half of my Platinum team is made up of such pokemon, and they all rock :D

Dr. Leggs
28th January 2011, 6:40 PM
arguable inferiority.

I really don't think it's arguable. The only thing that keeps Reuniclus from not surpassing Beheeyem in every possible way is that the latter learns Thunderbolt while the former only gets Thunder.

That's literally it.

Also, Sasaki, Beheeyem has a pre-evo; Elgyem. >_>

tmega90
28th January 2011, 7:18 PM
Beheeyem seems like a cool Pokemon. I might use one at some point. I think it is cool that it is an alien Pokemon.

SasakiThePikachu
28th January 2011, 8:28 PM
I really don't think it's arguable. The only thing that keeps Reuniclus from not surpassing Beheeyem in every possible way is that the latter learns Thunderbolt while the former only gets Thunder.

That's literally it.

Also, Sasaki, Beheeyem has a pre-evo; Elgyem. >_>

I meant the line in general, to be specific, Elgyem's theoretical pre-evo.

And I always use Thunder more than Thunderbolt. Power beats accuracy o.O

Dr. Leggs
28th January 2011, 8:57 PM
I meant the line in general, to be specific, Elgyem's theoretical pre-evo.

And I always use Thunder more than Thunderbolt. Power beats accuracy o.O

Ahh, okay.

Thunder vs. Thunderbolt is always pretty situational for me. Power does beat accuracy, but if I'm gonna be relying on the move to hit then Thunderbolt is my choice (more PP, too).

Aurath8
28th January 2011, 9:40 PM
*coughcoughnastyplotcoughcough*
It's an egg move and as pretty hard to find adn grind something to breed it but that is it's second advantage.
I don't think Rankurusu gets Synchronize which can annoy stuff like Toxic using walls.
Err...

Mudkip8003
28th January 2011, 11:14 PM
... I don't get how Golruk can learn Fly...?

BCVM22
28th January 2011, 11:15 PM
It's one of those origin things. The Pokémon is half Japanese giant mecha, which can usually fly by some means.

SteveVacante
28th January 2011, 11:35 PM
So when do you guys think we'll be getting the English names for Kerudio, Meloetta, and Genosect?

BCVM22
28th January 2011, 11:37 PM
When the English-language versions release and get dumped and dissected. Could be as early as during the day on the 4th/6th, likely no later than a few days after one of those dates.

Like most Legendary names, I wouldn't expect much of a change if any at all. Keldio, Meloetta and Genesect are the official Japanese romanizations and the first and third of those are pretty straightforward. Meloetta is the one with the most wiggle room, I wager, but only because it was such a devil of a time figuring out a reasonable romanization for the name in the first place.

SteveVacante
29th January 2011, 1:10 AM
This is kind of off-topic but does anyone know where I could find the animated back sprites of all 649 pokemon?

Zhanton
29th January 2011, 7:22 AM
This is kind of off-topic but does anyone know where I could find the animated back sprites of all 649 pokemon?

Arkeis.net
[Next time use the Help Thread]

SasakiThePikachu
29th January 2011, 8:02 PM
Arkeis.net
[Next time use the Help Thread]

This is indeed a topic for the help thread, but I feel I should point out that internet address doesn't work...

So is anyone else annoyed that Gothitelle can't learn Focus Blast? ^^

Endless
29th January 2011, 8:05 PM
This is indeed a topic for the help thread, but I feel I should point out that internet address doesn't work...

I am pretty sure he meant Arkeis.com

Mario with Lasers
29th January 2011, 10:14 PM

Lol you're kidding me. I thought she did, but apparently the Fighting TM I saw in her Serebii dexpage was Ankle Sweep >__>

Goddamnit Game Freak, why did Reuniclus got all the cool toys and Gothorita was left with Shadow Tag and nothing else >__>

Aurath8
29th January 2011, 10:19 PM

Usually if it's a Psychic that isn't Mew, Mewtwo or Physical-based vs. a Dark or Steel type you get the heck out of there.

RLinksoul
30th January 2011, 1:07 AM
Oooh conundrum!

I'm anxious to get a Pansear/Baoppu on my team, but I'm planning to choose Snivy/Tsutarja/Smugleaf. I do NOT want that otter thing. Seems like I could find a water type that could learn Surf anywhere.

Poke_Mania97
30th January 2011, 11:05 AM
has daikenki got an english name yet? cause i want him!

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th January 2011, 11:08 AM
Like most Legendary names, I wouldn't expect much of a change if any at all. Keldio, Meloetta and Genesect are the official Japanese romanizations and the first and third of those are pretty straightforward. Meloetta is the one with the most wiggle room, I wager, but only because it was such a devil of a time figuring out a reasonable romanization for the name in the first place.

ケルディオ Kerudio
Official Romanization = Keldeo

メロエッタ Meroetta
Official Romanization = Meloetta

ゲノセクト Genosekuto
Official Romanization = Genesect

I do NOT want that otter thing. Seems like I could find a water type that could learn Surf anywhere.

There's little/no reason to Surf in order to pass the game (i.e. complete the E4) but Water-type species are few, but fairly common in Unova.

I'd be placing good money on it being 'Samurott'.

wearjo
30th January 2011, 11:09 AM

the one that is the most likely... saying most likely i mean 99.999999999% certain it's gonna be the name, is Samurott

Poke_Mania97
30th January 2011, 11:10 AM
the one that is the most likely... saying most likely i mean 99.999999999% certain it's gonna be the name, is Samurott

yer, other sites said that, but on serebii and bulbapedia it said Daikenki.

Sabonea_Masukippa
30th January 2011, 11:16 AM
Serebii has yet to comment on the list of names, for his own reasons, and Bulbapedia has a consistently inconsistant standard of evidence required to 'move' a name.

tmega90
30th January 2011, 11:19 AM
So which one of the Monkeys is your favorite?

Mine is Pansear. He looks cool to me. I will probably use one on my team. I also like how Simisear looks as well.

BCVM22
30th January 2011, 11:28 AM
ケルディオ Kerudio
Official Romanization = Keldeo

Keldio, Keldeo, what's a vowel here and there...

Poke_Mania97
30th January 2011, 11:42 AM

Mine is Pansear. He looks cool to me. I will probably use one on my team. I also like how Simisear looks as well.

i dont like the monkeys that much, they look kinda stupid, but if i had to choose (i dont know the names), then i would go for the grass one.

Aurath8
30th January 2011, 2:59 PM

Teh monkeys are awesome. The first forms are all very cute and carefree but the different personality's erupt through evolution. Yanakkie becomes awesome, Boakkkie becomes calm and oblivious and Hiyakkie is still a happy-go-lucky pokemon. Hiyakkie doesn't look as good compared with others though. It appears more feminine while its prevo looks masculine and the two designs just clash.
I wonder if the three types will be expanded on like the Eeveelu*shot*

The Eleventh
30th January 2011, 3:08 PM
Oooh conundrum!

I'm anxious to get a Pansear/Baoppu on my team, but I'm planning to choose Snivy/Tsutarja/Smugleaf. I do NOT want that otter thing. Seems like I could find a water type that could learn Surf anywhere.

You can still get the other monkeys in Yaguruma Forest, in the shaky patches of grass. It doesn't matter which starter you choose, monkey-wise, as they're all obtainable in the games. The girl just gives you a certain monkey to help balance your team.

I like all of the base forms, but don't like Simisear. And I prefer Simipour over Simisage.

Disgruntled Goat
30th January 2011, 4:01 PM
Serebii has yet to comment on the list of names, for his own reasons, and Bulbapedia has a consistently inconsistant standard of evidence required to 'move' a name.

Actually he already said in another thread he can't post the names for legal reasons. Which, if you needed that 0.00001% extra confirmation, that is it.

Chibi_Muffin
30th January 2011, 4:12 PM

Panpour and Simipour. He's so cute! And he's a REGGAE MONKEY as well! I can completely imagine him singing 'Three Little Birds' in a squeaky voice. And since the three lines are meant to be chefs, he can be my team cook.

Lucky for me, I'm picking Snivy. Yay free Panpour!

tmega90
30th January 2011, 4:36 PM
Yeah, I am glad that I am picking Oshawott as my starter so I can get my own Pansear!

Lorde
30th January 2011, 5:31 PM
You can still get the other monkeys in Yaguruma Forest, in the shaky patches of grass. It doesn't matter which starter you choose, monkey-wise, as they're all obtainable in the games. The girl just gives you a certain monkey to help balance your team.

I worship the very ground she stands on, too. If I hadn't obtained a Pansear from her in White version, I probably wouldn't have been able to defeat Cilan at first. I would have had to train for a few hours until all of my Pokemon leveled up enough to take on his Lillipup and Pansage. Anyway, I tried finding the other two monkeys once I got to the Yaguruma Forest area, but I didn't find any until after the Elite Four. I guess it takes patience to find these elemental monkeys in the wild.

Yanappu
30th January 2011, 5:35 PM
Oh gee, this is hard to figure out for other people.

*points to name*

Pansage and Simisage/Elvis.

CaptainCombusken
30th January 2011, 5:54 PM
Pansear & Simisear. Love the lazy/sleepy expressions and Simisear's hairdo is too cool.
Then Panpour and Simipour. I love happy Pokemon.
Then Pansage and Simisage. I'm not a huge fan of Grass types and I don't like Pansage's expression and Simisage's hairdo.

Nacreous
30th January 2011, 6:08 PM
It's official...I hate Zeburaika>.>It's the most annoying in-game pkmn!Each and every single one gave me a hard time

Sponge
30th January 2011, 6:37 PM
My favourite monkey would have to be Pansage, I liked him more before I knew he was part of a trio though....I think the fact he was no longer completely unique tarnished my like for him. :(

Lorde
30th January 2011, 6:41 PM
It's official...I hate Zeburaika>.>It's the most annoying in-game pkmn!Each and every single one gave me a hard time

While I don't think they're all annoying, I did hate Kamitsure's Zeburaika. At that point in the game, I didn't really have a good Ground-type Pokemon and her Zeburaika totally destroyed me that first time. Ironically, I was using my own Zeburaika against hers. I do like that Zeburaika learns Nitro Charge naturally, however. That helped me a lot against Arti in Castelia City, so I can't be too hard on the species. One thing though: it has a cry that came straight from Hell.

SteveVacante
30th January 2011, 6:48 PM
I think Zebstrika is my favorite 5th Gen pokemon :)

SasakiThePikachu
30th January 2011, 7:03 PM
My fave monkey is Panpour-Simipour. I tend to have affection for girly-looking pokemon, hence my adoration for Nidoqueen back in 1st gen, and even if the monkey trio is 78% male, and Simipour is based on Bob Marley, 'she' still just looks so feminine to me. She's wearing a dress, for Arceus' sake!!

And I'm picking Smugleaf, so I get a Panpour for free. Woop woop!

Torrentr
30th January 2011, 7:11 PM
Favorite monkey has to be Simisage--even though I went with Oshawott, I was still able to find a Pansage in Yagumura Forest--it was awesome!

Although my favorite 5th gen Pokemon overall is most likely Dewott. I didn't let mine evolve til I really, REALLY needed him to. :(

LexSuicune
30th January 2011, 7:36 PM
My favourite Pokemon HAS to be Volcarona, GOD I love that vicious fire breathing hairy fat moth <3<3<3<3.

Shneak
30th January 2011, 7:53 PM
One thing though: it has a cry that came straight from Hell.

I had to look it up. Sounds like one of those Halloween decorations that screams.

Chimchar15
30th January 2011, 8:04 PM
OK two things:

1. Pansage is my favorite monkey but I kind of have to agree with Sponge on the thing about Pansage. I still love him but I'm not too sure it I want to get one for free. I like using Pokemon that I catch myself. Also I really want to use Whimsicott.

2. For those of you would have played Pokemon Black and White how difficult would you say the gym leaders are? The Sinnoh gym leaders were pathetically easy to defeat and I do not want a repeat of that.

Torrentr
30th January 2011, 8:14 PM
2. For those of you would have played Pokemon Black and White how difficult would you say the gym leaders are? The Sinnoh gym leaders were pathetically easy to defeat and I do not want a repeat of that.

Depends on how well you prepare for them and train your team; use Serebii's B/W pages to help. I've heard of a few people having troubles with Kamitsure, the 4th and Electric-type Gym Leader.

R_N
30th January 2011, 8:17 PM
OK two things:

1. Pansage is my favorite monkey but I kind of have to agree with Sponge on the thing about Pansage. I still love him but I'm not too sure it I want to get one for free. I like using Pokemon that I catch myself. Also I really want to use Whimsicott.
Just for reference, you'll only be given Pansage if you choose Tepig. And if you really really still want to catch one, just box the one given to you (or try to persevere through the first gym without it, I guess), just box it after using it, and once you get to Yagurama Forest you can try to get one for yourself.

I've not played the games, mind, but just wanted to say that difficulty isn't really the same for every person. Some people might breeze through them, others might have trouble, mix and match etc.
Though one consistent thing I've heard is that Gym 1 is hard without the monkey and Gym 2 can really take you off guard if unprepared/lacking a fighting type.

Lorde
30th January 2011, 8:23 PM
I had to look it up. Sounds like one of those Halloween decorations that screams.

I know right? Zeburaika's cry sort of sounds like the noise a horse would make, only the pitch has been altered to the point where it sounds eerie.

And while we're on the subject of those elemental monkeys; I have to say that my favorite is Pansage. I didn't used to like it before since monkey Pokemon haven't always appealed to me, but Pansage looks so cute in the anime and I started liking it more and more as time went on. Pansear and Panpour are also pretty cute but Pansage has them beat. I can't wait to actually use one in the games so that I can evolve it into Simisage (I love its hairdo in that stage!).

Endless
30th January 2011, 8:24 PM
What monkey I like the most you say?
Well, I will go with Pansear. I like its goofy yet laid back style, and its evo just look hilarous. The Pansage line looks like it tries too hard and the Panpour line is transexual.

However I must say that the monkeys are not even close to my favourite pokemon. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad, they just look so, generic.

LexSuicune
30th January 2011, 8:28 PM
Well I'm a water type trainer so I have to say the hippie one, Panpour. I love how happy it is lol.

TurtwigFan1
30th January 2011, 8:37 PM
My favourite monkey's probably Pansage. Also because its evolution looks highly epic!

The Eleventh
30th January 2011, 8:45 PM
I don't really like Pansear and Simisear; they seem too laid-back and drowsy and oblivious. Perhaps that's why some people like them.

Grei
30th January 2011, 8:54 PM
I honestly like Simisear more than Simisage or Simipour. Simipour looks too feminine even if its supposed to be more dread lock-y than flowing lock-y. Simisage was cool at first, but... I dunno. I'm just not much of a fan of it anymore.

Simisear, on the other hand, has really cool hair. I hate its limp wrists but I don't care much when it looks so awesome. If it wasn't for Darmanitan, I'd definitely be using Simisear long-term (I only see myself using it until I can get a Darmanitan).

Dr. Leggs
30th January 2011, 9:01 PM
Pansage/Simisage would be my favourite monkeys. I'm a fan of Pansage, Pansear and Panpour, but not so much of Simisear and Simipour.

isshoni
30th January 2011, 9:03 PM
Out of the monkeys, only Simisear looks good to me. The others just have plain awful design and I can't bring myself to even not dislike them, well maybe Simipour in a few months.

Obviously they were designed to be the first gym's signature pokemon and to give that extra balance to the player's team early on, but to me they just seem too forced.

MetalFlygon08
30th January 2011, 9:11 PM
I like Pansage, it compliments my team well. For some reason it feels right matching Cheren and Bianca, Each of us with a starter, and each of us with our elemental Monkey. It makes things seem right.

The Oncoming Storm
30th January 2011, 9:14 PM
I really don't like panpour or sage. Pansear is okay but only in the first form which I plan on using till darumaka and then litwick/hitomoshi. I like this gen because it seems like they finally put in good fire types. Anyways I don't like any of the final versions of the monkeys.

Hejiru
30th January 2011, 9:26 PM
I think they should've gone with Pansoak instead of Panpour. To keep with the "s" pattern.

Skull-Kid
30th January 2011, 9:49 PM
Landsat is my favourite of the elemental monkeys. I like it's bashful smile and it's relaxed posture. It's hair, I think, matches it's typing perfectly(yes, I know it was designed that way purposely). Pansage looks awesome too. The little tree on it's head(or hairdo) is a very nice touch. I loved it's evolution. Definitely Elvis inspired. I'm not fond of Panpour. It's hairdo just looks ridiculous. I feel they could have done something better that dreadlocks. I would have preferred long, straight sort of a river symbolism thing.

RitterCat
30th January 2011, 9:59 PM
1. The 'sage line. Pansage is so happy and cute and likable, and Simisage is just pure epic win with it's Elvis do and so much style. Thank goodness I'm picking Tepig.
2. The 'sear line. I liek Pansear, it's pretty cute and fuzzeh, but whereas some people think Simisear looks laid-back, I think it's just derpy.
3. The only thing to do with the 'pour line is to give it electric shocks while hitting it with flowers. The 4x SE pain would be the perfect way to rid the world of it. Something about their design just repulses me. I'm sorry 'pour line lovers, it just does.

ZeroTrouble
30th January 2011, 10:02 PM
I really like Panpour but my favourite is definetly Simisage due to the fact that it looks like a wise old man ^_^

Grei
30th January 2011, 10:12 PM
I think they should've gone with Pansoak instead of Panpour. To keep with the "s" pattern.

I agree completely. I mean, "soak" doesn't relate to cooking as much as "pour" does, but "soak" gets the job done and sounds much better too.

ABSOLute Zer0
30th January 2011, 10:14 PM
I pretty much only like the grass monkey (Pansage). He's my favorite of the three basic form monkeys and also Simisage is my favorite evolution. I don't like Panpour or Pansear that much. Simipour is okay, but I don't like Simisear too much either.

Mario with Lasers
30th January 2011, 11:33 PM
While I don't think they're all annoying, I did hate Kamitsure's Zeburaika. At that point in the game, I didn't really have a good Ground-type Pokemon and her Zeburaika totally destroyed me that first time. Ironically, I was using my own Zeburaika against hers. I do like that Zeburaika learns Nitro Charge naturally, however. That helped me a lot against Arti in Castelia City, so I can't be too hard on the species. One thing though: it has a cry that came straight from Hell.

Hah yeah, that Zebstrika was a pain in the ***. I tried a Nuzlocke chalenge in my first run, and I *almost* lost my Servine to it... But then Zebstrika missed its Nitro Charge, as it had -1 Acc due to Grass Mixer. Eat that.

And its cry is totally badass, Gothitelle's is the one coming straight from Hell.

I've not played the games, mind, but just wanted to say that difficulty isn't really the same for every person. Some people might breeze through them, others might have trouble, mix and match etc.
Though one consistent thing I've heard is that Gym 1 is hard without the monkey and Gym 2 can really take you off guard if unprepared/lacking a fighting type.

I wouldn't say "hard", but... "boring". I didn't want to use Panpour in my second, non-Nuzlocke run (my rule of thumb is to use ONLY six pokémon until I beat the E4), so I had to grind Snivy and Lillipup until lv13 or something. It was a breeze (ok not really, Panfiremonkey almost killed my Lillipup with a CH on the switch-in), but god, how I wished Piplup or Mudkip were this gen's Water starter, so I could have chosen them instead...

EDIT -- And Miruhoggu or whatever it's called is a *****. It's not that hard to kill... as long as Hypnosis doesn't hit half your team. Ack.

LexSuicune
31st January 2011, 12:31 AM
On another subject, I have definitely warmped up to Vanillite's line design, I'm still not sure making an ice cream Pokemon was such a great idea lol but they're definitely adorable, strong and versatile.

Vanilluxe is definitely an interesting one.

bleeding-chocobo
31st January 2011, 12:49 AM
On the monkeys, I like Pansage's line the best. And Simisage's design looks amazing. :] I'm so going with Tepig on my second playthrough.

Panpour and Pansear are okay, imo. I just like Pansage better.

XXD17
31st January 2011, 2:11 AM

I think the reason the made it pour is because to keep up the restaurant motif...I mean I guess you have to let some ingredients soak before you cook them but pouring is a more obvious reference to waiters pouring drinks...

Lucario_Guy
31st January 2011, 3:01 AM
I think the reason the made it pour is because to keep up the restaurant motif...I mean I guess you have to let some ingredients soak before you cook them but pouring is a more obvious reference to waiters pouring drinks...

I honestly didn't realize the restaurant motif with the monkeys before. >.<
Thank you for pointing it out. =)

wearjo
31st January 2011, 4:02 AM
My Fave is Panpour then pansage... sorry pansear.......

You could easily imagine panpour as a waterfountain right???

yeminied
31st January 2011, 10:58 AM
My favourite monkey is probably Pansear. Followed by Pansage and then Panpour. It's not that I don't like Panpour as much as the other two is just that Pansear and Pansage look better than Panpour, if you get what I mean.

Of their evolutions Simisage is my favourite. I love the wickedness of its smile. Simisear and Simipour are rather dissappointing so they came in second place equal. I don't like Simisear's hands and tail and I don't like Simipour's dreadlocks.

Poke_Mania97
31st January 2011, 5:31 PM
a few pokemon i like of GEN V that arent legendaries are:

that final evo of Sandile (i think thats what its called)
Samurott/daikenki(two swords come on! and the Oshawott family was made quickly)
Jalorda (i think the english name is Serperior(looks cool!))
Eboar(cant spell,(didnt like him at first, but it can learn all three elemental types in its moveset))!
Axew/Kibago final evo
Pseudo legendary

CaptainCombusken
31st January 2011, 5:53 PM
One note on Kamitsure's gym; since I got myself a Sandile just before, it was easy. I think I used Darumaka for the Emolgas with Rock Tomb, and then used Sandile or Krokorok (can't remember if I'd evolved it by that time or not- probably not) for Zebstrika. Pretty easy really. You just have to make sure you have a Ground type. get Drilbur or Sandile before her Gym and you're done. Oh yeah, the gym challenge itself is pretty cool too.

Other gyms:
Waiting trio- One of the Hardest for me. One thing- do not go in there straight away if you're doing a Nuzlocke or would rather your Pokemon not fainting too much. I made the mistake of Getting Lillipup, getting Oshawott, getting Pansear and just heading pretty much straight in there. BAD MOVE. My Pokemon were not strong enough and I had to try again. Pansear happens to have an awful Fire move as his starting move... *sigh*. So yeah. Go in prepared. Gym challenge is pretty easy and boring...
Aloe- Only one thing really- watch out for Vengeance. I fortunately didn't get hit by it too bad (or if I did, it was by a Pokemon who was about to faint anyway) but others have mentioned how annoying it is... of yeah, as Mario with Lazers said, be wary of that Hypnosis. So basically, watch out for Watchog. Gym challenge here would probably be better if I could understand Japanese... But I'm sure it will be great in English.
Artie- If you get a Darumaka, have a Pignite or a sufficiently strong Pansear, along with a solid Water type such as Dewott, Tympole or Panpour, this gym is ridiculously easy. No problems AT ALL. Dwebble falls down to Water and the other two suffer at the hands of Fire, particularly Leavanny. As a fan of Fire types, this Gym just made me smile. Its challenge is also immensely fun to do.
Yakon- I obviously chose Oshawott. For this reason, this gym was relatively easy. Combined with having a Ground type of your own that is quite strong, it is recommended to have these two types minimum (or grass type). A Solid Fighting type is also a good idea, especially for Excadrills, Sadiles, Krokoroks and Palipatoads (if you have a Water and no Grass- I don't.) The Gym Challenge was also quite entertaining.
Furou- Gym challenge was SO MUCH FUN. I seriously loved being cannoned left right and centre. The gym itself was also fun to do. Flying types are a doddle if you have a strong Electric like Joltik or Zebtrika in your team. If you don't, then Rock works too, such as Boldore, Crustle, Tirtouga or Archen, all available beforehand quite easily.
Hachiku- I just spammed Cobalion and Darmantian here. You can get Cobalion quite easily and quickly using Surf to get to the cave where you can find Axews. If you don't fancy using a Legendary, then Scraftys or Conkledurrs are good. Of course, Emboar would be perfect here. Spam him and you'll win for sure. I don;t like complicated icy patterns, but this one was one of the Pokemon enjoyable ones. I still didn't like it much though...
Iris/Shaga- Get an Ice type, or a Pokemon with ice type moves. Or even a Pokemon with Dragon Moves (I personally wouldn't use a dragon myself but it's fine to.) Samurott has good Ice/Dragon move sin his movepool. or use Axew, Druddigon or any ice type you can encounter before or after the Ice gym. It's a difficult one though, so beware. The gym challenge was fun, albeit a little complicated.

Sir Samurott
31st January 2011, 5:57 PM
Samurott is one of my favorite Gen V pokemon (as you could tell from my name XD). To be honest, this might be my favorite gen so far, based on the looks of the pokemon. I like the style nintendo went with.

Aeral
31st January 2011, 10:35 PM
I really like Cinccino out of the new Pokemon introduced.
It was really fun to take off all of those weak Pokemon with a Technician-Silk Scarf-ed Tail Slaps.
I also found Escavalier to be really useful with its powerful STAB moves and really huge physical skills.

SteveVacante
31st January 2011, 11:14 PM
I like Galvantula, Zebstrika, Cubchoo, and Cofagrigus just to name a few but you can see all my favorites in my signature :)

Nightlingbolt
1st February 2011, 1:35 AM
I'm posting this on the assumption that we're talking about Pokemon as in the games, and not the new Pokemon introduced in them.

I just realized something: The PokeShift makes Surfing and Flying Pikachu, as well as Spiky-Eared Pichu totally and completely pointless! I mean, you can't transfer the special Pikachu just because Surf and Fly are HM moves, and there's no sprite data for PCP. I understand why they made it that way, but if you got HG/SS early enough, then there's really no point in ever restarting your game. I dunno, to me, it just takes replay value from HG/SS just because those three Pokemon are incredibly rare. I suppose if you didn't care about hacking Surf or Fly on a Pikachu from Johto, it's not a big deal, but I like to think most players have more pride than that.

EDIT: I just read the first post (really should've done that before posting this rant. XD). Mods can delete this post if they want, I just felt I should get it out there, because it kind of pertains to the 5th Gen.

Felt I should be more on-topic (even though I felt it was semi-on-topic). I'm not too crazy about the new Pokemon designs (I actually like Zebstrika and Galvantula the best) but I subscribe to the "they'll grow on me with time" theory. Hell, I'm still not crazy about Grimer and Muk's designs.

bulber
1st February 2011, 1:37 AM
I'm posting this on the assumption that we're talking about Pokemon as in the games, and not the new Pokemon introduced in them.

I just realized something: The PokeShift makes Surfing and Flying Pikachu, as well as Spiky-Eared Pichu totally and completely pointless! I mean, you can't transfer the special Pikachu just because Surf and Fly are HM moves, and there's no sprite data for PCP. I understand why they made it that way, but if you got HG/SS early enough, then there's really no point in ever restarting your game. I dunno, to me, it just takes replay value from HG/SS just because those three Pokemon are incredibly rare. I suppose if you didn't care about hacking Surf or Fly on a Pikachu from Johto, it's not a big deal, but I like to think most players have more pride than that.

Preaching to the choir... (looks at Sax in hand) uh, band.

tmega90
1st February 2011, 3:58 AM
I like almost all of the new Pokemon. Not all are my favorites but I really like a lot of them They are all cool in their in their own ways.

Hejiru
1st February 2011, 7:25 AM

O.O
I never even realized they were using cooking/restuarant terms. I guess Pour makes more sense now.

Dr. Leggs
1st February 2011, 12:18 PM
My favourite part about the monkeys is the sheer number of references in that group as a whole; the whole see/hear/speak no evil thing in the first formes, the cooking-related terms, the obvious musician-influenced designs of the evolved formes, etc.

Sabonea_Masukippa
1st February 2011, 12:23 PM
Don't forget their mitten shaped hands so they can help out in the kitchen! ;)

Nibbles4Ever
1st February 2011, 5:22 PM
Lillipup is a really cute name =D

tmega90
1st February 2011, 7:52 PM
I like how many new names we are getting confirmed today. I am glad the list of names was really all of the names are really cool.

Dr. Leggs
1st February 2011, 9:57 PM
Don't forget their mitten shaped hands so they can help out in the kitchen! ;)

Ahah, that too. The cooking themes in their names and designs are subtle but clever as well. Seems like GameFreak is really able to fit a lot of inspirations, bases and references into a single set of Pokemon, which is more common this generation. I really love it.

TurtwigFan1
1st February 2011, 10:00 PM
I love the cooking themes and references for the monkeys, they're awesome. Pansage is still my favourite at the minute (due to his Grass-type) but it's free to change x-)

Sheep Overlord
1st February 2011, 11:04 PM
Alright, so the monkeys seem pretty popular. . . but am I the only one who's buying the (apparently less popular) Black version just for Whimsicott (Erufuun)? Tis be adorable.

Mucrush
1st February 2011, 11:11 PM
Can anyone tell why Serebii won't put up all the official names from that leaked list? The answer might be here somewhere, but I won't look through all the post xD

Dr. Leggs
1st February 2011, 11:14 PM
Presumably because of legal caution, to avoid a similar fiasco to the C+D that occurred last year after the Japanese release.

XXD17
2nd February 2011, 1:51 AM
Alright, so the monkeys seem pretty popular. . . but am I the only one who's buying the (apparently less popular) Black version just for Whimsicott (Erufuun)? Tis be adorable.

You do know that there is an in-game trade where a NPC will trade you petilil for a cottonee in black and a cottonee for a petili in white right ? You can get both "exclusives" no matter which game you get...and yes, whimsicott is the epitome of fluffiness and it is very good defensively in battle especially with mischievous heart...I just wonder how a torterra was able to OKHO my Whimsicott with max defenses and three cotton guards up with just a 2-curse boosted, no crit seed bomb...curious, simply curious

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 1:55 AM
Three Cotton Guards is impossible, Cotton Guard boosts Defense +3. Would've failed on the third attempt.

XXD17
2nd February 2011, 2:01 AM
Three Cotton Guards is impossible, Cotton Guard boosts Defense +3. Would've failed on the third attempt.

Sorry, I meant 2... :P

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 2:04 AM
What was the level difference between the two?

Sheep Overlord
2nd February 2011, 3:25 AM
You do know that there is an in-game trade where a NPC will trade you petilil for a cottonee in black and a cottonee for a petili in white right ? You can get both "exclusives" no matter which game you get...and yes, whimsicott is the epitome of fluffiness and it is very good defensively in battle especially with mischievous heart...I just wonder how a torterra was able to OKHO my Whimsicott with max defenses and three cotton guards up with just a 2-curse boosted, no crit seed bomb...curious, simply curious

I'm aware that the trade is present, but I got the impression that the trade takes place a bit later in the game, and as I'm one to nickname all of my pokemon I would want to breed the traded one. I honestly don't know jack about breeding beyond Poke + Ditto + Daycare + ??? = Profit.

It's good to know that Whimsicott is useful as well as interesting - I was worried that its base stats were low enough to keep it away from any sort of actual use. I'm no competitive battler, but I'd at least like to make it through the elite four.

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 3:40 AM

Well, it may be due to the fact that our Grass-type faun from Dixieland never had the world's best defences, even if it's bulkier than I expected.

It's still awesome with Mischievous Heart and a plethora of status/phasing/whatever moves. The only thing that might throw a monkey-wrench in Whimsicott's plans is an Ice-Sharding Weavile.

Even then, I might have to test how good Weavile's Ice Shard is against a Max-defense Whimsicott... :\

On the bright side, I SO want this thing on my in-game team to drive my brother nuts in battles! Best thing since Para-flinch Togekiss! :D

Disgruntled Goat
2nd February 2011, 3:52 AM
Presumably because of legal caution, to avoid a similar fiasco to the C+D that occurred last year after the Japanese release.

I think at this point it's safe to say that C&Ds aren't an issue. The english names are plastered over many popular sites. If NoA were gonna send out C&Ds they would have done so weeks ago. It's more likely that Serebii doesn't want to sour his relations and/or contacts with Nintendo.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 3:55 AM

You can get Whimsicott in White, too. In-game trade!

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 3:58 AM
You can get Whimsicott in White, too. In-game trade!

How early in the game?

XXD17
2nd February 2011, 4:00 AM
What was the level difference between the two?

Same levels...both at 50...this was in the battle facility in Nimbassa city.

How early in the game?
It's available at Nacrene (Shippou) City...so basically the second gym

I'm aware that the trade is present, but I got the impression that the trade takes place a bit later in the game, and as I'm one to nickname all of my pokemon I would want to breed the traded one. I honestly don't know jack about breeding beyond Poke + Ditto + Daycare + ??? = Profit.

It's good to know that Whimsicott is useful as well as interesting - I was worried that its base stats were low enough to keep it away from any sort of actual use. I'm no competitive battler, but I'd at least like to make it through the elite four.

You get it pretty early, see above

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 4:49 AM
It's available at Nacrene (Shippou) City...so basically the second gym

Beautiful! :D I looked to see what the Monmen you get will be like. It will be a girl (don't mind that), Modest (Would prefer a Defense-boosting nature, but since Whimsy's Special Attack is higher that its Attack Modest isn't bad at all), and has Mischevious Heart (SCORE!). One more question: Will this Monmen come pre-nicknamed? I like my Pokes to be nicknamed...

Same levels...both at 50...this was in the battle facility in Nimbassa city.

Keep in mind that the battle facilities run on hax to make up for being a computer player.

Sabonea_Masukippa
2nd February 2011, 4:53 AM
Beautiful! :D I looked to see what the Monmen you get will be like. It will be a girl (don't mind that), Modest (Would prefer a Defense-boosting nature, but since Whimsy's Special Attack is higher that its Attack Modest isn't bad at all), and has Mischevious Heart (SCORE!). One more question: Will this Monmen come pre-nicknamed? I like my Pokes to be nicknamed...

My Liliroot came pre-nicknamed. If it bugs you, the breeding centre is the route before and I'm pretty sure you can breed straight away, but I could be very very very wrong.

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 5:04 AM
My Liliroot came pre-nicknamed. If it bugs you, the breeding centre is the route before and I'm pretty sure you can breed straight away, but I could be very very very wrong.

I probably won't mind the nickname she'll have unless it's something really stupid (Like MAKIT the Makuhitta you get in an in-game trade in RSE). In fact, I love nicknames. They're practical as well for if you plan to own two or more of the same species.

I feel like not giving Pokes nicknames is like naming your Golden Retriever "Golden Retriever". It feels very impersonal towards the poor beasts, even if they are just mindless, souless little bits of data... :P

R_N
2nd February 2011, 5:16 AM
So before I had thought that Conkeldurr was punning on Elder solely for durr purposes and that it looks kind of elderly and then I looked at its Pokedex entry
It uses its concrete blocks as walking canes, implying that it is, indeed, supposed to be old

And awesome

Sabonea_Masukippa
2nd February 2011, 5:20 AM
Indeed, Roobushin likely comes from 老 (rou) meaning aged or elderly and 普請 (fushin) meaning building or construction. Who'd 'ave thunk it, aye?

Mr. Marowak
2nd February 2011, 5:22 AM
I'd just like to see Go-Goggles again. Not magic invisible glasses.
I'd also want to see something involving the move Dive, like a snorkel.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 5:44 AM
Indeed, Roobushin likely comes from 老 (rou) meaning aged or elderly and 普請 (fushin) meaning building or construction. Who'd 'ave thunk it, aye?

Oh neat, I didn't know his JP name had roots in it as well.
So awesome.

XXD17
2nd February 2011, 5:50 AM
So before I had thought that Conkeldurr was punning on Elder solely for durr purposes and that it looks kind of elderly and then I looked at its Pokedex entry
It uses its concrete blocks as walking canes, implying that it is, indeed, supposed to be old

And awesome

Cool! I always thought it was Conk (as it slang for hit in the head) + elder +urr/ err (the sound someone makes when attempting to lift a heavy object or exert force)

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 6:42 AM

And awesome

Old people can be that awesome, you know. :)

Jagged
2nd February 2011, 7:30 AM
at first i didn't like conkledurr that much simply because he looked like a scary old clown D: But now he's grown on me, yet people still decide to make fun of him simply because he has DURR in his name -_-

Speaking of names, does anyone else like the meaning behind the Dark-Dragon line? With Deino having EIN (german for one (not sure if it's supposed to be EIN or EINS, but you know what I mean)), Zweilous having ZWEI (meaning two) and Hydreigon having DREI (meaning three)

Cobalt_Latios
2nd February 2011, 8:19 AM
Speaking of names, does anyone else like the meaning behind the Dark-Dragon line? With Deino having EIN (german for one (not sure if it's supposed to be EIN or EINS, but you know what I mean)), Zweilous having ZWEI (meaning two) and Hydreigon having DREI (meaning three)
Well I'll be, it hadn't even occurred to me. That of course, being because I don't know any German, but still.

It does explain why these video clips I once found had those in their name...

/CL

isshoni
2nd February 2011, 11:20 AM
In fact, I love nicknames. They're practical as well for if you plan to own two or more of the same species.

I feel like not giving Pokes nicknames is like naming your Golden Retriever "Golden Retriever". It feels very impersonal towards the poor beasts, even it they are just mindless, souless little bits of data... :P

I know! I always nickname my Pokémon and spend half of my play-time trying to come up with new fitting names. To me it's just so important to give them names so that they won't be just souless bits of data. The names have to fit the Poké's apperance, type and personality and just the overall feel of it.

I tend to give my Pokés names that aren't common people names and rather go with something a bit more obscure. I very rarely go with nicknames that have a pun in them, but I just have to nickname my future Stunfisk Marabou. I can't help myself.

Missingno. Master
2nd February 2011, 1:58 PM
Serebii's just updated the site.

All the names are confirmed.

Even Emolga.

Sabonea_Masukippa
2nd February 2011, 1:59 PM
Note:

Keldeo
Meloetta (Pirouette and Aria Formes)
Genesect
Zen Mode Darmanitan

Wadeledge
2nd February 2011, 2:09 PM
Glad we don't have to pretend like the names aren't confirmed! Also it's nice to know the names or the different forms!

Will-powered Spriter
2nd February 2011, 2:16 PM
I quite like the form names. Also, I thought it was meleotta, not meloetta, I've been reading it wrong all this time.

Although now the whole site has english names, my plan of avoiding as many of the names as possible is getting near impossible. If only my curiosity was not so insatiable.

Maxim
2nd February 2011, 2:22 PM
Heh, this was matter of the time.

However, which forms are correct:
Tornadus or Tornados?
Thundurus or Thundorus?

Those are two names that contradict. Someone had to make a typo - either Joe or the original leaker.

I'm picking on details - as usual.

Also, Volcanoa or Volcarona? This is a rather big contradiction.

Wadeledge
2nd February 2011, 2:24 PM
I quite like the form names. Also, I thought it was meleotta, not meloetta, I've been reading it wrong all this time.

Although now the whole site has english names, my plan of avoiding as many of the names as possible is getting near impossible. If only my curiosity was not so insatiable.

I know what you mean, I planned on avoiding the names but then they got leaked a month and a half early and that plan went out the window.

tmega90
2nd February 2011, 2:25 PM
Its nice to know all the real names now, and even they alternate forms of the Pokemon. All of these names a just awesome. I really like the names of the alternate forms!

Missingno. Master
2nd February 2011, 2:26 PM
Heh, this was matter of the time.

However, which forms are correct:
Tornadus or Tornados?
Thundurus or Thundorus?

Those are two names that contradict. Someone had to make a typo - either Joe or the original leaker.

I'm picking on details - as usual.

Also, Volcanoa or Volcarona? This is a rather big contradiction.

Serebii had already fixed two typos- he had misspelled Conkeldurr as Conkledurr and Darumaka as Darumakka. It's not out of the question that those are typos too. I've already brought them to his attention.

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 3:24 PM
Serebii had already fixed two typos- he had misspelled Conkeldurr as Conkledurr and Darumaka as Darumakka. It's not out of the question that those are typos too. I've already brought them to his attention.

When Serebii first puts up a new page, expect him to take a few hours to a few says to clean up all of the typos and other errors.

I remember when the DW Pokes Page first came out, he mixed up the Special Attack and Special Defense stats for all of the Pokes. (I was thinking, Blaziken can now be a Special Wall? How awesome, if not even more silly!) He also goofed up with some of the abilities the Pokes were going to get from the Dream World (For instance, DW Weavile was first mentioned to get Illusion, which actually would've been amazing. But it turned out it was an huge error and Weavile got that dumb Wicked Thief ability instead. >.>)

SasakiThePikachu
2nd February 2011, 3:33 PM
Bloody hell, you go away for 2 days and everything happens without you.

o.O

Glad all the pokemon names were revealed, and hooray that europe will be getting the celebi event soon!!! (even if I did recently trade an Arceus for a Celebi, arrrgggghhhh). Is there any other word on the european legendary beasts event, given that it's happening next week? I still don't know when the event ends or whether you can get only one dog or if its staggered...help...

Dracoste
2nd February 2011, 3:35 PM
Sweet! Serebii finally put them on the site!

Hmm, so the "l" in Emolga wasn't a typo after all.

Zen mode Darmanitan....yeah right....probably changed because the Dharma doll isn't something known to all western people...I probably get used to it, it's not so much of a deal.

Is there any other word on the european legendary beasts event, given that it's happening next week? I still don't know when the event ends or whether you can get only one dog or if its staggered...help...

Here (http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/wifievents.shtml) it is(at the bottom) you can get all three beasts over Wi-Fi:
Raikou:7th February to 13th February
Entei:14th February to 20th February
Suicune:21th February to 27th February

Pamizard
2nd February 2011, 3:59 PM
Havent posted in a while but hey the list is cool. I'm still gonna nickname all my pokemon anyway. I've been planning nicknames since the beginning

Serperior.... awesome name i dunno why people think its a problem cause it almost sounds the same as Rhyperior.

LexSuicune
2nd February 2011, 5:05 PM
I'm pretty content with the names of the Djinn being kept pretty much the same.

But I would've prefered Voltros, Torneros and Landros instead.

Not much of a difference really, I just think they'd sound better.

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 6:15 PM
But I would've prefered Voltros, Torneros and Landros instead.

Not much of a difference really, I just think they'd sound better.

Same here. I suppose '-us' sounds more... Western, I suppose? I did like the Japanese names better but I'll get over it.

Lorde
2nd February 2011, 6:15 PM
Oh well looky here, the name Emolga wasn't a typo after all. How neat. I stood by the name once it leaked a couple of weeks ago, but I'm actually surprised that it really was Emolga. I figure that the translators had a good reason to exchange the "n" for an "l", however. It looks like Daruma Mode Darmanitan is now known as Zen Mode Darmanitan. It doesn't really bother me since I probably won't be using that Darmanitan anyway.

Sheep Overlord
2nd February 2011, 6:29 PM
Now that I look at the names again. . . doesn't Mandibuzz sound like it should be a bug-types name (mandible + buzz)? I know Buzz is probably from buzzard and Mandi might be Mandy, just to specify that they're all girls. . . but it really does seem a bit off.

SHIFTER01
2nd February 2011, 6:33 PM
Mandibuzz is from mandible, as in jawbone and buzzard.
I agree that it sounds like a bug type though. :/

;136; Dude

The Eleventh
2nd February 2011, 6:36 PM
Mandibuzz does sound like a Bug type, yes. I would have preferred if the ending for the Djinns was "-us", as well. But overall, I'm pretty happy with the names!

Poke_Mania97
2nd February 2011, 7:46 PM
i like that Haxorus, i wanted it from the start! But Krookodile, is quite wierd. it does however looks like a criminal or a crook cause it has that sort of 'mask' look. its pre-evolved forme, Krokorok is nice, cause it sounds like a crocodile and rock mixed.

one question, how do u say Samurott? is it like Sam You Root or sam o rot

tmega90
2nd February 2011, 7:52 PM
i like that Haxorus, i wanted it from the start! But Krookodile, is quite wierd. it does however looks like a criminal or a crook cause it has that sort of 'mask' look. its pre-evolved forme, Krokorok is nice, cause it sounds like a crocodile and rock mixed.

one question, how do u say Samurott? is it like Sam You Root or sam o rot

It is pronounced Sam-Err-Rot. Like Samurai.

Poke_Mania97
2nd February 2011, 7:55 PM
It is pronounced Sam-Err-Rot. Like Samurai.

thanks. you see that what i thought at first, but then when i checked a couple of days ago, the spelling was different to now

Lucario0708
2nd February 2011, 8:37 PM
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but, Bisharp looks EXACTLY like a red version of Gallade

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 8:40 PM
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but, Bisharp looks EXACTLY like a red version of Gallade

Well, not exactly... though I do admit when I first saw Bisharp I thought it was the perfect anti-thesis to Gallade. The good knight vs. the rouge Templar image is certainly there.

Gallade could crush Bisharp in a snap, by the way.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 9:50 PM
Well, not exactly... though I do admit when I first saw Bisharp I thought it was the perfect anti-thesis to Gallade. The good knight vs. the rouge Templar image is certainly there.

Gallade could crush Bisharp in a snap, by the way.

x4 weakness to fighting will do that to you

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 10:09 PM
x4 weakness to fighting will do that to you

It's even more of a pity, especially since Bisharp is defense kind of guy. (Or gal if you're Giima's Bisharp.)

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 10:17 PM
Though with a Base 65 Defense, STAB Sucker Punch from Base 125 Attack will certainly do a number on Gallade before it goes down.

shellshocker107
2nd February 2011, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know what fossil to choose if you want carracosta?

Dr. Leggs
2nd February 2011, 10:25 PM
Choose the Lid Fossil, which will give you Tirtouga.

shellshocker107
2nd February 2011, 10:32 PM
oh ok thank you :)

Luxrayess
2nd February 2011, 10:40 PM
Though with a Base 65 Defense, STAB Sucker Punch from Base 125 Attack will certainly do a number on Gallade before it goes down.

True. Sucker Punch, what a dirty little priority move it is!

Though Gallade could psyche out the opponent by setting up Swords Dance on the first move. Gotta love guessing games!

Rose Storm
2nd February 2011, 10:46 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Bisharp appears in the anime. It'll probably turn up with a pack of Komatana, as its Pokédex entry implies, but to see how it actually acts and moves will be fun to watch.

Speaking of Bisharp, how do you actually pronounce that? I know it comes from Bishop and Sharp, and I've been saying it bish-arp.

R_N
2nd February 2011, 11:05 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Bisharp appears in the anime. It'll probably turn up with a pack of Komatana, as its Pokédex entry implies, but to see how it actually acts and moves will be fun to watch.

Speaking of Bisharp, how do you actually pronounce that? I know it comes from Bishop and Sharp, and I've been saying it bish-arp.

Pretty much how I've been saying it, too

As for how it will move, I'll doubt they'll have it undulate like in the game, at the very least.

Sponge
2nd February 2011, 11:05 PM
I'm interesting in seeing how Reuniclus and Gothitelle act and walk in the anime.

I wonder will Reuniclus just bounce around? Or will it float?