PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Hejiru
9th February 2011, 2:56 PM
so basically Deerling is a literal deerling, a young deer, a darling <3, a yearling, and a shrub 0.o that's a lot... who ever knew that pokemon could make a great name that seems so punnyfuliously awesome :D

While we're on the subject, what was charizard made up of???

Charred/Charcoal + Lizard...

BW202
9th February 2011, 4:17 PM
Charred/Charcoal + Lizard...

I like the line, but it always humored me how it went from a salamander to a chameleon to a lizard XD

LexSuicune
9th February 2011, 6:04 PM
I still can't figure out where Alomomola's name stems from, any ideas?

Endless
9th February 2011, 6:07 PM
I still can't figure out where Alomomola's name stems from, any ideas?

Alomomola comes from Mola mola, the scientific name for the ocean sunfish, and "mom", referencing its status as the Nursing Pokémon. And it is a palindrome.

MetalFlygon08
9th February 2011, 6:10 PM
Its a palindrome becuase it's symetrical up and down to, at least in sillohette.

Lorde
9th February 2011, 6:17 PM
Alomomola comes from Mola mola, the scientific name for the ocean sunfish, and "mom", referencing its status as the Nursing Pokémon. And it is a palindrome.

I hadn't noticed the "mom" part of the name until now; I'm not sure I had noticed that reference to the Mola mola, either. I've always just sort of noticed the palindrome, but nothing else. Anyway, I like Alomomola, like a lot. Ok, maybe not its animation, but the Pokemon is pretty cute. I'm also really glad that it's its own unique species and not an evolved form of another pink heart-shaped Pokemon, who will remain nameless. I was thinking about capturing one to use as my team's Water-type Pokemon, but those things don't appear until you have Surf and even then, I believe that they're rare :x

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 6:18 PM
I don't know if that's specifically why they gave it a palindromic name, but it could be part of it.

Porygandrew
9th February 2011, 6:24 PM
Why "mom" just because those letters are in there? I see it as {Alo[e] (a healing balm) + Mo[la] Mola}, or if we say it's a palindrome, then it's still a play off of Mola Mola without needing to specifically have a "mom" reference in it.

I've always read it as: Alo-mo'mola instead of Alo-mom-ola.

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 6:29 PM
I think mom may have been unintentional as GameFreak does their best to do androgynous names (with the exception of Kingdra) on Pokemon that can be of either gender like Alomomola.

Endless
9th February 2011, 6:33 PM
I think mom may have been unintentional as GameFreak does their best to do androgynous names (with the exception of Kingdra) on Pokemon that can be of either gender like Alomomola.

But I am also pretty sure Goldeen and Seaking were intentional, so, **** YEAH SEAKING[/lame meme].

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 6:38 PM
Goldeen (where's the non-androgynous pun in this?) and Seaking were created before genders. I'm omitting them and Mr. Mime in this case.

SasakiThePikachu
9th February 2011, 6:39 PM

That, and 'alo-mo-mo-la' trips off the tongue, whereas 'alo, mom. Ola!' sounds like you're greeting your mom in spanish...

Unless you say it really fast: 'alomomola' (same syllable emphasis as abracadabra) which just sounds daft.

And while we're at it, try saying it with the emphasis on 'momo', as in 'alo-momo-la'. It suddenly sounds french.

This is fun! Lol.

Endless
9th February 2011, 6:43 PM
Goldeen (where's the non-androgynous pun in this?) and Seaking were created before genders. I'm omitting them and Mr. Mime in this case.
Fine, how about Gothitelle and Gotholita?(They have highter female ratio but still)
EDIT; Goldeen as Goldfish and Queen, pretty strange it evolves from queen to king, huh?

Hejiru
9th February 2011, 7:22 PM

What about masculine Basculin?

Tyrannotaur
9th February 2011, 8:08 PM

Women can't look masculine? On the flip side of that Men can't look feminine?

I also believe the Mom in Alomomola is intentional. If it wasn't the name would be Alomola. Mom means Mother. Mother is someone who cares and nurtures their young. It basically refers to Alomomola's nurturing and mother like nature.
Same with Basculine, the name references its masculine and more aggressive nature.

As for Goldeen and Seaking, I like to think their names are meant to imply royalty more than gender, even though its just a case of gender not being around back when they where named.

-;248;
Edit- eh momentary stupidity on my part. Edited that stuff out. Mother does in fact mean Female. But Mother is usually associated more with nurturing qualities so that point stands.

The Eleventh
9th February 2011, 9:06 PM
We could have a had a cloned sheep in Black and White: Link (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unused_Pok%C3%A9mon_design_revealed_in_magazine_in terview)! :P

Plus, Ditto's based on a smiley face, apparently!

Weaver_8
9th February 2011, 9:26 PM
We could have a had a cloned sheep in Black and White: Link (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unused_Pok%C3%A9mon_design_revealed_in_magazine_in terview)! :P

I guess making a Pokemon based off of a one of a kind, but none legendary creature would be difficult, so that may be one of the reasons besides the controversy.
Ditto... is a smiley face? Then whats with the whole jelly like structure it has, it can be any Pokemon it wants to be! I thought its origins would be somewhat less... amusing.

R_N
9th February 2011, 9:26 PM

Interesting. I wonder what type it would have been if it got past the pitch stage.

Ditto being based off of a smiley face is...is certainly something!

(seriously Nintendo just release a damn art book already and give insights on Pokemon designs I will buy 12 ;0; )

Sakrey
9th February 2011, 9:36 PM
Interesting. I wonder what type it would have been if it got past the pitch stage.

Maybe something like this =p

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9371/fake24juillet2010.jpg

normal/grass, hohohohoho...*sigh*

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 9:41 PM
Gothitelle was specifically changed from Gothiselle presumably because the latter is explicitly from 'mademoiselle', though Gothitelle can be male. Gotholita is from Lolita, which doesn't in itself imply being female, it's simply from Gothic Lolita.

SasakiThePikachu
9th February 2011, 9:42 PM

That first thing looks like what Whimsicott might evolve into (O.O)

Dracoste
9th February 2011, 9:49 PM

If I haven't read it with my own eyes, I probably never believed that Ditto was based on a smiley face.

Sponge
9th February 2011, 9:57 PM

That's very true...

I don't think they worry too much about having gender hints in the name of pokemon. So long as they're not blatantly obvious like Birdman. :p

R_N
9th February 2011, 10:00 PM
Ah, that fake brings up interesting memories.

Mainly of the fact that everyone was in love with the samurai bug. Despite seemingly wearing articles of clothing. I wonder how people would have reacted the same way if it turned out to be real.

Dr. Leggs
9th February 2011, 10:07 PM
If only http://www.arkeis.com/images/animations/538.gif and http://www.arkeis.com/images/animations/539.gif were so loved. ;-;

Sponge
9th February 2011, 10:12 PM
I quite liked those fakes, shame they were fake. :(

Oh Game freak won't you adopt these two fakes into your pokemon family?

Tyrannotaur
9th February 2011, 10:14 PM
If only http://www.arkeis.com/images/animations/538.gif and http://www.arkeis.com/images/animations/539.gif were so loved. ;-;

I never understood people giving them hate cause they have clothes. Hitmonchan wears a dress and no one gives him problems.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/967/107gb.gif

-;248;

R_N
9th February 2011, 10:23 PM
I never understood people giving them hate cause they have clothes. Hitmonchan wears a dress and no one gives him problems.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/967/107gb.gif

-;248;

And they even tried explaining their belts as being handmade by them! I think their Gis are just skin coloring, though.
Also Throh travel in herds which is kind of a weird thought.

Hejiru
9th February 2011, 10:27 PM

In a way, they kinda were. Whimsicott and Bisharp, anyone?

The Eleventh
9th February 2011, 10:33 PM
(seriously Nintendo just release a damn art book already and give insights on Pokemon designs I will buy 12 ;0; )

I've always wanted one of those! I'd love to see which ideas actually make it into the game, and which ones didn't. It'd be cool to see Sugimori's initial sketches of Pokémon. That kind of book would sell. A lot.

Tyrannotaur
9th February 2011, 10:37 PM
(seriously Nintendo just release a damn art book already and give insights on Pokemon designs I will buy 12 ;0; ) As would I. Art books are the main reason I splurge on other games collector's editions.

Also Throh travel in herds which is kind of a weird thought.

Yes.. yes it is.

-;248; 1,000 posts! Huzzah!

Endless
9th February 2011, 10:49 PM
I would love an artbook.
Just imagine sketches of the sheep, the Latias/Blaziken combo(we have seen it, but still) and Sigilyph before being pokemon'styled.

Grei
9th February 2011, 11:16 PM
I don't know if that's specifically why they gave it a palindromic name, but it could be part of it.

I would imagine that's probably a factor. Look at Girafarig, which has a similar idea (even though it's more of an inverse than a symmetrical mirror). There's no real other reason to give it a palindromic name.

SasakiThePikachu
10th February 2011, 12:45 AM
They'll never bring out a book like that, and anyone who's ever done the creative arts will tell you why - very often old, scrapped ideas can be reconsidered, reinvented, and suddenly become a great new idea. If GF gave away all the secrets that didn't quite make the final cut, they a) wouldn't then feel comfortable about moulding them into a new idea because everyone everywhere knows about it and is expecting it or b) they would, but the fans would b*tch because they'd already dribbled over the beta art then trolled deviant with their own personalised freaks-of-nature-mon...so cue nerdy whinging that the fandom's fakemon are better than what GF finally did with those ideas.

Gah.

Sabonea_Masukippa
10th February 2011, 1:08 AM
I like the line, but it always humored me how it went from a salamander to a chameleon to a lizard XD

Imagine the level of fan-rage there'd be if those names came out now. Tepig-->Pignite-->Emboar get enough for being too 'cold' for fire starters, but the Charmander line is all just the left over remains of a fire...

They'll never bring out a book like that, and anyone who's ever done the creative arts will tell you why - very often old, scrapped ideas can be reconsidered, reinvented, and suddenly become a great new idea. If GF gave away all the secrets that didn't quite make the final cut, they a) wouldn't then feel comfortable about moulding them into a new idea because everyone everywhere knows about it and is expecting it or b) they would, but the fans would b*tch because they'd already dribbled over the beta art then trolled deviant with their own personalised freaks-of-nature-mon...so cue nerdy whinging that the fandom's fakemon are better than what GF finally did with those ideas.

Gah.

Exactly. For example Throh (or was ir Sawk) was originally designed for Gen 4 (the other was added so they could have a counterpart), Shelios for 3rd gen, and the basic idea of Cubchoo had been proposed by one designer for 'quite some time.' And that's just the few that we know about.

And I always lol when people say Fakemon are better than GF's designs. Some are certainly very good, but I'm yet to see more than a couple that I reckon would get past Sugimori.

Oh, and with Alomomola,, it almost certainly has 'mom' intentionally in it, as the Japanese name is Mama (or 'mom') + Mambou 'sun fish' or 'mola mola'.

jwla
10th February 2011, 2:39 AM
Oh, and with Alomomola,, it almost certainly has 'mom' intentionally in it, as the Japanese name is Mama (or 'mom') + Mambou 'sun fish' or 'mola mola'.

I came on just to say that. I am glad I read your post.

I, too, would like to see...well...a book of scraps. Nixed designs for Pokemon we know, new designs from some we don't. Though they might like to keep a lid on those, because I am sure there are a number of tweaked and recycled designs.

Sabonea_Masukippa
10th February 2011, 2:43 AM
I came on just to say that. I am glad I read your post.

I, too, would like to see...well...a book of scraps. Nixed designs for Pokemon we know, new designs from some we don't. Though they might like to keep a lid on those, because I am sure there are a number of tweaked and recycled designs.

There is available artwork of beta designs (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unreleased_Pok%C3%A9mon_and_characters) for Blaziken/Lati@s, Torchic, Treecko, Tyranitar, Lapras (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/70/Pokemon_conceptart_big.jpg), and others as well as some un-named Pokemon that were allegedly designed for second Gen. However, you do need to do a lot of searching to find it all (or at least, you did, but I think Bulbapedia's got most of it now). Then there are pokemon like Charmander, Pikachu, Bellosom, and Likitung, who've had varying degrees of design-change over the years.

But even just a collected book of art, let alone beta art, would be awesome, however unlikely.

jwla
10th February 2011, 2:46 AM
There is available artwork of beta designs for Blaziken/Lati@s, Torchic, Treecko, Tyranitar, Lapras, and others as well as some un-named Pokemon that were allegedly designed for second Gen. However, you do need to do a lot of searching to find it all (or at least, you did, but I think Bulbapedia's got most of it now). But even just a collected book of art, let alone beta art, would be awesome, however unlikely.

I have seen what there is to offer, it is nice to see. I am sure a book is unlikely, as well. We can dream, though! ;)

R_N
10th February 2011, 4:26 AM
Well I was more thinking of specifically going into detail about already released Pokemon. The thought process behind their creation, what they're based on, who created them, why they were made, subtle design changes, etc.

I wouldn't expect to straight up see scrapped concepts such as Shellos or Throh (if theoretical book came out before 3rd or 4th gen), but more along things such as why the final forms of the Unova starters were made different, the personality that went into each stage of those starter lines (Dewott being a den mother, for example), original Shinborah, why Torchic had floppy ears, etc. For example, Deerling is one we know had a design change/concept that went unused; I'd like to know why it was left alone and what it would have been and why it was considered.
And concept art of the region itself would be interesting. The RB beta sketches were fascinating in what stuck and what didn't.
And then there's character designs!

*sigh*
I should stop thinking about this, it just makes the fact that there isn't one hurt all the more. At least they're being more open in interviews as of late.

Sabonea_Masukippa
10th February 2011, 4:59 AM
Well I was more thinking of specifically going into detail about already released Pokemon. The thought process behind their creation, what they're based on, who created them, why they were made, subtle design changes, etc.

That book would be massive.

why the final forms of the Unova starters were made different,

As a reward to players, I believe is what Sugimori said in an interview. Basically, he felt that certain final evos looked to similar to their first forms and as many players carry their starter throughout the game, he wanted them to have a sense of change and reward for evolving them that meant they looked significantly different from their first forms. I think that was in Pia but I can't find scans of it anymore to confirm.

For example, Deerling is one we know had a design change/concept that went unused; I'd like to know why it was left alone and what it would have been and why it was considered.

Really?? I didn't know this, would love to hear more, if you know any.

And concept art of the region itself would be interesting.

The Pokemon Centre in Osaka (and/or Tokyo) has some concept art of Unova on display. As well as the official Sugimori reference sheets for some of the Pokemon (like the ones seen in Pia). There was an image of some on the GF site, but it was low res and not much can be made out, but I can dig up a copy I think.

*sigh*
I should stop thinking about this, it just makes the fact that there isn't one hurt all the more. At least they're being more open in interviews as of late.

They are, which is good. And interesting. I've still gotta do some interviews from the official staff blog, but I've been slack (although there's nothing much on design in the ones left, from memory). Also, parts of the Nintendo Dream interview with Ohmura and Sugimori on character design could probably be done too.

R_N
10th February 2011, 5:14 AM
That book would be massive.
Multiple volumes it is!

As a reward to players, I believe is what Sugimori said in an interview. Basically, he felt that certain final evos looked to similar to their first forms and as many players carry their starter throughout the game, he wanted them to have a sense of change and reward for evolving them that meant they looked significantly different from their first forms. I think that was in Pia but I can't find scans of it anymore to confirm.
Yeah, it was amongst other things. I was using those insights as examples of thing that could be brought up.
I think PokeJungle might still have the scans.

Really?? I didn't know this, would love to hear more, if you know any.

It was never explicitly stated, but in Pokemon Peer's article lead in....
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/new-pokemon-maybe-shikijika-evo.jpg
look at the lettering at the bottom
It was either an alternate Deerling design, or an early Sawsbuck design.
Of course no one brought it up in interview

The Pokemon Centre in Osaka (and/or Tokyo) has some concept art of Unova on display. As well as the official Sugimori reference sheets for some of the Pokemon (like the ones seen in Pia). There was an image of some on the GF site, but it was low res and not much can be made out, but I can dig up a copy I think. :OOO

Sabonea_Masukippa
10th February 2011, 5:24 AM
^ here it is https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/common/images/til_careerindex.jpg

Also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9jowVuPHkE&feature=related skip to about 4 mins in. (Also, not me, fyi).

Ophie
10th February 2011, 1:17 PM
I disagree that saying a pokemon is unoriginal is just saying you don't like a pokemon. Proof? Many of the pokemon I love most are pretty damn unoriginal. Charizard says hi =3 It IS a matter of opinion, but 'unoriginal' is still not the same as saying 'I don't like this pokemon'. But I do see your point - ppl need to stop wangsting. There are over 150 new pokemon to choose from...I say if you can't find anything you like in that selection, then for god's sake put yourself and all of us out of your misery. Nobody is forcing you to play anymore.[/I]

The primary reason why they complain is to get attention. When you go to a place where a lot of people think the opposite way as you and you complain about something, you'll get more attention than if you complained about it anywhere else. Most of these kids aren't even doing it intentionally, just that it seems to feel good about it. The other reason is a cathartic release--they're seeing all this love for these new Pokémon, get frustrated that their viewpoint isn't being represented, and throws it out there to relieve the tension.

Of course, there's also the obvious route, where someone is genuinely surprised people actually LIKE the new designs and hopes to un-crazify them, but I think that's very rare.

Gah.

What they could do, instead, is just show stuff that DID make the final cut, such as model sheets and notes on certain Pokémon and characters. This is what Tite Kubo does for his Bleach art books: He doesn't show any unused concepts, and instead shows what the characters we see now had looked like. Eiichiro Oda goes even further with the One Piece: Color Walk books. They began as simple reprints of the colored chapter title pages (which were in black-and-white in the compilation books), then became personal notes on minor background characters.

Another thing they could do is focus the artbook on Ken Sugimori, particularly on the stuff he's been doing besides Pokémon. I've seen a number of interesting art and character design he's made that don't seem to have been used for anything--just that as an artist, he can't stop drawing. For instance, I remember seeing this cyber dressed girl who seems to be sliding her hand across a holographic screen and displaying, "Omedeto" from it. The style looks pretty new (at least Emerald or onwards), and he hasn't done anything but Pokémon as of late, so I'm sure it was just some throwaway drawing.

Maxim
10th February 2011, 1:39 PM
^ here it is https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/common/images/til_careerindex.jpg

Also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9jowVuPHkE&feature=related skip to about 4 mins in. (Also, not me, fyi).

Someone has to go to Osaka and take photos.

And by photos I mean PHOTOS. Made with a digital camera.

Such a collection of awesome and rare concept art can't just be wasted. Especially those location sketches and models, they're so awesome!

Dr. Leggs
10th February 2011, 6:36 PM
Hoo boy, a concept art/idea book would be beautiful. But I can understand why they'd rather not do such a thing, at least before the franchise comes to an end.

So, in an effort to spur conversation; may have been done before but what's everybody's favourite Pokemon of each type from this generation?

SHIFTER01
10th February 2011, 6:51 PM
heh, definitely done before. :P
regardless, here's mine:

grass: Lilligant
fire: Simisear
water: Carracosta
electric: Galvantula
bug: Larvesta
dark: Scrafty
dragon: Hydreigon or Haxorus. they're too awesome to pick one :/
fighting: Mienshao
flying: Swoobat
ghost: Golurk
ground: Excadrill
ice: Kyurem
normal: Braviary
poison: Scolipede
psychic: Beheeyem or Reuniclus, for reasons mentioned above
rock: Gigalith
steel: Ferrothorn

;136; Dude

Tyrannotaur
10th February 2011, 6:59 PM
Hoo boy, a concept art/idea book would be beautiful. But I can understand why they'd rather not do such a thing, at least before the franchise comes to an end.

So, in an effort to spur conversation; may have been done before but what's everybody's favourite Pokemon of each type from this generation?

Hmm, well I haven't played the games yet, but based on design and overall feel I'd say my favorites of each type are..
Fire- Tepig
Water- Carracosta
Grass- Serperior
Bug- Volcarona
Ghost- Cofagrigus
Dark- Zoroark
Psychic- Reuniclus
Electric- Eelektross
Dragon- Haxorus
Flying- Braviary
Steel- Bisharp
Ground- Krookodile
Normal- Boufallant
Poison- Scolipede
Rock- Gigalith
Fighting- Mienshao
Ice- Kyurem

-;248; I think that's all the types..

Rentaline99
10th February 2011, 7:04 PM
Someone has to go to Osaka and take photos.

And by photos I mean PHOTOS. Made with a digital camera.

Such a collection of awesome and rare concept art can't just be wasted. Especially those location sketches and models, they're so awesome!

I think they are trying to attract attention to Osaka's Pokemon Center by not marketing the artwork.

Lorde
10th February 2011, 7:07 PM
So they had planned to base a Pokemon on a cloned sheep? Haha, ok. That might have been an interesting Pokemon, but Whimsicott already looks sort of like a sheep to me, so maybe they decided to go with another sheep-based Pokemon for Generation 5. I would also love an artbook with Pokemon artwork and stuff, but I doubt that it'll ever happen. I can imagine how big it would have to be to include all of the artwork that we have so far, and it would need to be even bigger to include all of the concept artwork.

Kariachi
10th February 2011, 7:24 PM
Based on my pre-gaming viewpoint, mine.

Grass: Sawsbuck
Fire: Darumaka
Water: Samurott
Electric: Galvantula (Loved it before, but being a Ben 10 fan, must love it more now.)
Bug: Volcarona
Dark: Zoroark
Dragon: Zweilous
Fighting: Emboar
Flying: Mandibuzz
Ghost: Litwick
Ground: Stunfisk
Ice: Kyurem
Normal: Stoutland
Poison: Garbodor
Psychic: Munna
Rock: Gigalith
Steel: Klinklang

I'm gonna love this generation.

tmega90
10th February 2011, 7:38 PM
Here are my favorites of each type.
Fire- Emboar
Water- Samurott
Grass- Simisage
Bug- Accelgor
Ghost- Cofagrigus
Dark- Zoroark
Psychic- Victini
Electric- Emolga
Dragon- Haxorus
Flying- Braviary
Steel- Durant
Ground- Excadrill
Normal- Audino
Poison- Scolipede
Rock- Archeops
Fighting- Mienshao
Ice- Cubchoo

LexSuicune
10th February 2011, 7:42 PM

Oh, I had absolutely NO CLUE, thanks for answering my question!

Hadn't noticed the mom bit :p

isshoni
10th February 2011, 7:47 PM

This might be hard, but I'll give it a try.

Normal: Sawsbuck
Fire: Volcarona
Water: Swanna
Grass: Serperior
Electric: Eelektross
Fighting: Mienshao
Flying: Braviary
Poison: Scolipede
Ground: Stunfisk
Psychic: Beheeyem
Rock: Crustle
Ice: Cryognal
Bug: Leavanny
Dragon: Hydreigon
Ghost: Golurk
Dark: Mandibuzz

pokemonmaster76
10th February 2011, 7:48 PM
Here is my list of favorites
Fire- Emboar
Water- Jellicent
Grass- Simisage
Bug- Escavalier
Ghost- Chandelure
Dark- Liepard
Psychic- Gothitelle
Electric- Galvantula
Dragon- Hydreigon
Flying- Unfezant
Steel- Bisharp
Ground- Krookodile
Normal- Cinccino
Poison- Garbodor
Rock- Gigalith
Fighting- Sawk
Ice- Vanilluxe

Endless
10th February 2011, 7:53 PM
Ok, I'll make this list too, however I am going to only use pokemon that have the type as it's primary type(except with Flying because there is only one pokemon with Flying as primary).
Normal- Braviary
Fighting-Conkeldurr
Poison-Garbador(the only 5th gen primary Poison)
Ground-Stunfisk
Rock-Archeops
Bug-Crustle
Ghost-Cofagrigus
Steel-Klinklang
Fire-Darmanitan
Water-Oshawott/Samurott
Grass-Whimsicott
Electric-Eeelectross
Psychic-Sigilyph
Ice-Cryogonal
Dragon-Zekrom/Kyurem
Dark-Scrafty
Flying(secondary type)-Sigilyph

Slowemperor
10th February 2011, 8:15 PM
Fire: Darmanitan
Water: Samurott
Electric: Galvantula
Ground: Crustle
Psychic: Reuniclus, shortly followed by Beheeyem
Ghost: Cofagrigus/Golurk, shortly followed by Chandelure
Dark: Krookodile
Fighting: Braviary... wait. Cobalion. Non-lengedary would be Mienshao.
Flying: Tornadus, shortly followed by Blue Torandus... Thudurus. Non-legendary would go for Sigilyph.
Bug: Escavalier
Steel: Bisharp
Dragon: Hydreigon
Normal: Sawsbuck Summer/Autumn/Winter Form, otherwise Stoutland
Poison: Scolipede
Rock: Carracosta
Ice:Cryogonal. I prefer to think this gen has no Ice-types. (Beartic was a great concept who didn't turn out very well)

SasakiThePikachu
10th February 2011, 8:18 PM
'Shauntal'? Really, GF? A normal name like 'Chantelle' wasn't good enough for you? Is 'Shauntal' even a real name? It sounds like the kind of name one of the guests off Maury would inflict upon their child. If someone in the next gen's Elite Four is named 'Renesmee', my suspicions about the identity of one of the staff in the naming department shall be confirmed.

List time again? Phwee! Here's my shot:
Normal- Minccino
Fighting-Mienshao
Poison-don't really like any...
Ground-Excadrill
Rock-Gigalith
Bug-Hahakurimo...haven't learned english name yet
Ghost-Chandelure over Cofragrigus FTW!!!
Steel-See Excadrill again xD
Fire-Volcarona and Darmanitan tie for this spot
Water-Samurott and Simipour tie for this spot
Grass-Lilygant and Serperior tie for this spot
Electric-tiny cute electric spider. haven't learned its name yet!!!
Psychic-Gothitelle
Ice-Kyuremu
Dragon-Hydreigon
Dark-see above
Flying(secondary type)-Braviary

Dracoste
10th February 2011, 8:46 PM
'Shauntal'? Really, GF? A normal name like 'Chantelle' wasn't good enough for you? Is 'Shauntal' even a real name? It sounds like the kind of name one of the guests off Maury would inflict upon their child. If someone in the next gen's Elite Four is named 'Renesmee', my suspicions about the identity of one of the staff in the naming department shall be confirmed.

I think the "haun" in Shauntal comes from haunted as in ghosts and such things, the name just has something to do with the type she is specialized in, just like most other gym leaders/elite 4s.

Burgh-bug
Elesa-Electric
Clay-Well, um...yeah...Clay
Skyla-sky
Brycen-ice
Drayden-dragon

Grimsley-grim
Marshal-martial arts

Lorde
10th February 2011, 9:12 PM

Normal: Minccino ate my heart. It's really one of the few Pokemon in Generation 5 that I knew I would like right from the start. It looks so cute and furry, I just cannot help but liking it despite the fact that it's weak in battle.

Fighting: Meloetta in its Step Forme gets my vote. I love Meloetta so I cannot help but love its second form since it looks so cool. It's not as good as the other Meloetta forme, but it's still a forme I'm a fan of. So fashionable, too.

Flying: Swanna, come on down! It's a pretty cool Pokemon in its own right. Elegant like real swans and it has such a cute cry; I cannot help but like it. I'm definitely getting one in the English games, even if I have to trade for one.

Poison: Venipede. I don't love it, but it's better than most other Poison-types out there at the moment. It just looks so annoyed; I love it. I've always liked real life centipedes so I'm really digging Venipede despite its other flaws.

Ground: Sandile is the only Ground-type I find decent. It's not my favorite Pokemon, but I've seen enough of it around these parts to understand some of its charm and appeal. I like its eyes the most, since they look like sunglasses.

Rock: Archen, even though it's also a dual type Pokemon. I think it's the only Rock Pokemon I've ever actually liked, period. It looks so colorful compared to other Rock-type Pokemon and for me, color is always a plus so Archen is really awesome.

Bug: Sewaddle gets this grand spot on my list of favorites. It's really one of the few Bug-type Pokemon that looks adorable. I love that leaf collar around its neck and the fact that it was the first wild Pokemon I captured without weakening in White.

Ghost: Frillish has started to look more and more awesome everyday. I love its regal appearance and its unique type combination. I'm planning on using one in the English games to test out its battle potential. I bet it's a decent Ghost-type.

Steel: Klink is the obvious choice here. There isn't any other Steel-type in Generation 5 that makes me laugh like Klink does. That looks on its face is just priceless. I'm also loving its sturdiness, as most Steel-types are this sort of Pokemon.

Fire: Chandelure gets this spot. I love the whole Litwick family but Chandelure has quite a bit more going for it. Its Shiny form is even better, since it sort of reminds me of the Halloween festivities. Other Fire-types just don't compare~~

Water: Oshawott times 1 billion! I love this little otter. The anime's Oshawott was the one that really opened my eyes to the potential in the species. It's just so cute. I've also seen it in the manga and it is super fabulous there as well (and even a little funnier).

Grass: Snivy gets this spot despite my previous opinions of it. I just love that smug look on its face and the fact that its cry sounds cool in the games. I've been hatching Snivy eggs lately, and that's made me love them even more.

Electric: Emolga because it cuts itself. I love this little rodent since it reminds me of Pachirisu from Generation 4. I can't imagine a world without Emolga now since it has opened up my eyes to the charm of flying squirrels. I really want one.

Psychic: Woobat. I love this new bat Pokemon. Its nose is just adorable and I'm loving the whole courting theme it has going on. Swoobat is also pretty neat, but Woobat is cuter.

Ice: Kyurem is the only Ice-type that I find interesting. Not only is it pretty strong, but its backstory is pretty interesting. I'm actually looking forward to learning more about it in the future games, as I think Kyurem will get a bigger role.

Dragon: Zekrom is a pretty cool Dragon-type Pokemon. I love its unique type combination as well as its Cross Thunder attack, which helped me defeat N's Reshiram in White version.

Dark: Zorua is my favorite Dark-type Pokemon, since it was also the very first Generation 5 Pokemon I saw. I love this little fox. I loved it in Movie 13 even more since it pulls out a few interesting tricks, like most foxes in Japanese legends.

The Eleventh
10th February 2011, 9:35 PM
Here's my list:

Normal: Watchog (I've recently fallen in love with it, I don't know what it is that attracts me - it must be those hypnotic eyes)
Fighting: Mienshao (It's so different to other fighting types, and I love its elegance)
Flying: Woobat (I adore the base form, but Swoobat, not so much)
Poison: Trubbish (Just because it's kinda cute and dares to be a bin bag!)
Ground: Golurk (I don't like that many Ground-types this gen, so went with this guy)
Rock: Tirtouga (It's so cool and smiley!)
Bug: Sewaddle (Again, there's not many Bug-types I like, so choose Sewaddle)
Ghost: Chandelure (So cool! And so is Litwick!)
Steel: Cobalion (I love this Poké's design)
Fire: Victini (V for Victory!)
Water: Simipour (He's so happy, I couldn't make him sad by not choosing him!)
Grass: Whimsicott (Whimsical Whimsicott!)
Electric: Zekrom (There's not that many Electric Pokémon to choose from, so if I didn't choose Zekrom, I would have gone with Blitzle or Eelektross)
Psychic: Musharna (Dreamy!)
Ice: Beartic (Why's there a lack of Ice-types?!)
Dragon: Haxorus (Prefer Haxorus than the other Dragons)
Dark: Zorua (See: Zoroark: Master of Illusions :D)

BW202
10th February 2011, 9:59 PM
Grass - Serperior
Fire - Volcarona
Water - Palpitoad
Electric - Zebstrika/Emolga
Rock - Gigalith
Ghost - Chandelure
Psychic - Reuniclus
Poison - Amoonguss
Dark - Bisharp
Bug - Scolipede
Ground - Stunfisk
Fighting - Mienshao
Dragon - Reshiram
Normal - Stoutland
Steel - Klinklang
Ice - Vanilish
Flying - Braviary

Dracoste
10th February 2011, 10:29 PM
Forgot to do my list, did it before, but now I we can do it with English names^_^

Normal: Cinccino is just, just so cute and fluffy and wuffy and duffy and stuff^_^ It's actually the first Pokémon I ever planned it's nature, moves and ability before I have the game, and to me it really looks powerful and useful.

Fighting: Mienshao, it think it's elegance is the thing that let me made fall in love with it's design, I like it so much that I'm going to wait to use it until "grey".

Flying: Mandibuzz, it just so cool and awesome, and it wears an apron made out of a jaw! Definitely going to be my flying Poké in Black.

Poison: There aren't really that much poison types this gen, but that's not the reason why I'm choosing Scolipede, I just really like it, can't wait to use one!

Ground: Krokorok, I just really likes it's pose, and it's type combination of course, shame that Krookodile got such drastical color change, otherwise he was my fav ground type this gen, oh well, Krookodile is also an awesome pokémon, but Krokorok's pose let me like him better than Krookodile.

Rock: Archeops, probably one of my most favourite fossil Pokémon, it's colors also let it looks like it isn't a rock type.

Bug: Normally I'm not really fond of bug types, but this gen really changed that, I'm going with Accelgor as my fav bug Pokémon this gen, just because it's a frikkin' ninja!

Ghost: Cofagrigus, I think it's animation is the think I like the most about this Pokémon.

Steel: Bisharp, it just looks awesome and I also like it's dex entry.

Fire: Victini, the thing I like the most about this Pokémon is it's cry, it sounds like laughing. So every time you fail to catch him, he is going to laugh at you :D.

Water: Samurott, it's a sea lion samurai with a mustache, beard and goatee, and has two swords in the shells on it's arms, how can you deny that that isn't awesome!

Grass: Serperior, I always wanted a royal like Pokémon or a grass type snake Pokémon, and now those two thing become one! I like it so much that I'm not going to choose Snivy as starter until "Grey".

Electric:Emolga, I just really, really like it's cuteness.

Psychic: Sygiliph, I like Egyptian mythology. And it's such an odd, mysterious and strong pokémon.

Ice: Cubchoo, it's...it's...so...so...just look at it! if you don't go "D'awww" from it's animation, then you just have a heart of ice.

Dragon: Reshiram, it look cute and dangerous/powerful at the same time, if a Pokémon has those two qualities, then it's an instand fav(like Absol). It's also one of the reasons why I'm choosing Black.

Dark: Zoroark, just like Reshiram I like it because it looks cute and powerful at the same time. It's ability Illusion also helps to be my fav Dark type this gen. I just can't wait until it's movie airs here in my country!

isshoni
10th February 2011, 10:40 PM
'Shauntal'? Really, GF? A normal name like 'Chantelle' wasn't good enough for you? Is 'Shauntal' even a real name? It sounds like the kind of name one of the guests off Maury would inflict upon their child.

I think the "haun" in Shauntal comes from haunted as in ghosts and such things, the name just has something to do with the type she is specialized in, just like most other gym leaders/elite 4s.

Burgh-bug
Elesa-Electric
Clay-Well, um...yeah...Clay
Skyla-sky
Brycen-ice
Drayden-dragon

Grimsley-grim
Marshal-martial arts

I think Chantelle would've been way too princessy for Shikimi and it resembles Caitlin alot too. Shauntal is way cooler and creepier and that "haunt" in there makes sense too. I think it's just perfect because she really did deserve to get a really classy name.

I'm also liking Grimsley and Marshal a whole lot too! Alder on the other hand seems very awkward and plain. To me it certainly doesn't seem like a fitting name for The Champion.

The Gym Leaders' names are still as good as before. Actually I find the fact I like them very strange, since names with such obvious references to their specialty types don't usually appeal to me at all. My favourites are probably Lenora, Elesa and Skyla. Brycen is surprisingly close to Pryce.

Overall, I'm still feeling extremely happy about these names.

Ophie
10th February 2011, 10:45 PM
The books don't necessarily have to cover everything up to the present. Or they can cover the most recent things. Or they could just pick a few they like the most. It doesn't have to be a be-all end-all comprehensive book. Besides, everyone knows that you can wring money out of fans by releasing something, then releasing a special edition, then releasing an extra-special edition. Look at Bambi. Bambi Special Edition was released in early 2008, with commercials saying they'd stop selling in April. And now look: Disney has just released Bambi Platinum Edition.

As for my favorite Pokémon, I believe I've already mentioned them elsewhere on this topic. Let me see if I can find it. Are all the images functional?

Ah, here we go. It's been left unchanged, except for fixing the names from Japanese to English.

Many of the Pokémon you can already tell based on my proposed teams, though I might as well put them out anyway. Without repeating Pokémon:

Bug: Crustle
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2425/pkmnrotation6small.png
It might be odd seeing Accelgor on the first team and Iwapalace on the second, though Accelgor is most definitely the runner-up. The reason why I picked Accelgor over Crustle was because I needed more speedy Pokémon in the first place. Among the numerous Bug-types this time around, I like Crustle the most because of how far they took the concept. It isn't just a hermit crab--the basic form, Dwebble, uses a rock in place of a shell. When it evolves, it takes that several steps further and upgrades the rock into a cube of sediment. Also, I can think of many types that are worse defensively than Bug/Rock. (How about Abomasnow?) It's weak to Water, Steel, and Rock, and it's not 4x weak to anything.

Dark: Scraggy
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4016/1285122255629.gif
Look at that thing! He's so proud of having pulled up his pants! Well, that and when I saw the Sugimori art, I thought that it looks like the sort of thing I would come up with if I were on the Pokémon design team.

Dragon: Deino
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9130/monozu1.jpg
Because it has a bowl cut. How many other dragons have YOU seen that has a Beatles bowl cut, eh?

Electric: Joltic
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9883/bachuru1.jpg
It's so cute. Bugs are normally repulsive, and bloodsucking bugs even more so. It takes a lot of effort to give an adorability to one. On top of that, at a little less than 4 inches in length, it's about the same size as a real bug.

Fighting: Pignite
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/937/chaoboo1.png
I'll exclude Scraggy from this one, despite him being my favorite Fighting-type in this generation too, again because of his pants. Pignite may be big and fat, but he's got energy and strength! You can see it form the look on his face. He also has a mask over his head like a luchador, and luchadores have always had my respect.

Fire: Darmanitan
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5931/pkmnrotation1small.png
Here's another amalgamation of two unlikely concepts: a baboon and a daruma figure. One of the earlier Pokémon to be revealed, I was a bit disinterested in the Pokémon this generation until this guy came along. He's so happy all the time! And I'm sure he's grown smart enough to not take a dump in people's pockets. (Though people seem to like it.)

Flying: Rufflet
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6537/washibon1.png
It's got those big inquisitive eyes and a Native American-like built-in headdress, big feather on the top and all. Rufflet looks like it's so cold...

Ghost: Chandelure
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2444/chandeler1.png
I love this fellow for the same reason Drifblim is my favorite Generation 4 Pokémon: It's a Ghost-type taken from an odd perspective. Chandeliers can be quite spooky and are associated with haunted houses, and it's a nice extension from the spooky candle and the spooky lamp before it. Of course, another reason I like this fellow is because he looks too fragile to put up much of a fight, but he can be dangerous! I'll be using this guy in the triple battle team, even if I can't get one with Shadow Tag.

Grass: Whimsicott
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/323/elfoon1.jpg
This Pokémon is modeled after the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary, a legendary creature said to live somewhere in central Asia. Its history is quite interesting--this legend came about when cotton was brought back from the Americas. It was like wool, only better. People couldn't believe such a fabric could come from anything but a hoofed animal, so they made this legend up. (You will likely see Whimsicott and the Vegetable Lamb discussed on Bulbapedia's "On the Origin of Species" column sooner or later.) Of course, it's the whole plushness of Whimsicott that I like. It's a very interesting interpretation of a lamb crossed with a cotton flower.

Ground: Golurk
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1921/goruuggofly.png
Yes, he's a huge Pokémon with no apparent means of air-based propulsion who can still somehow learn Fly anyway. I suppose it's due to him being based on two concepts, one of which is the Super Robot of anime lore. The other is the clay golems sometimes buried with emperors and warlords in ancient China. That's now why I like him though. I like the way Goruggo's sprites look like it's really mad at something and is ready to pound your head in if you even look at it funny.

Ice: Vanilluxe
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8347/bivanilla1.png
Come on, is this even a contest? Beartic, Cryogonal, and Kyurem are awesome in their own right, but Vanilluxe's sheer ridiculousness makes it awesome on another level altogether. They may look like a side-by-side scoop on a wide waffle cone, but this is actually some icicles come to like with snow on top. I'm just waiting for someone to put a video of an enemy Pokémon using Lick on someone from the Vanillite line...

Normal: Bouffalant
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7710/garterbeltbuffalon.jpg
For some reason, this felt like a concept waiting to happen. I'm not entirely sure why. I just like the concept of an afro on a random creature not associated with them. Even more so that its signature move is called Afro Break and, paired with Reckless, is downright devastating. People keep comparing it to Tauros, but Tauros can't hold a candle to Bouffalant's bushy head.

Poison: Amoongus
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7637/pkmnrotation3small.png
Not much to pick from, but there is one that I really wanted to use. Foongus and Amoongus are the successors of the fake Poké Ball monster that Voltorb and Electrode have done up to this point, but they manage to be the total opposite of Electrode in battle. Electrode is fast and volatile; Amoongus is slow and bulky.

Psychic: Reuniclus
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9637/rankles1.jpg
This is another Pokémon that showed up that I didn't particularly like at first, but then I found out about tardigrades and now it's totally awesome. Tardigrades, or water bears, are arthropods and the only known multicellular extremophile. It's also the only known organism to survive unassisted in the vacuum of space. Due to its coating and its ability to dehydrate itself for self-preservation, only one organism survives in more hostile environments than the tardigrade, a bacterium known as Deinococcus radiodurans. This matches up with Solosis's Pokédex description. Hence, Reuniclus is a tardigrade. I also like how virtually nothing can seem to knock it out in one blow. I've watched many YouTube battles with this guy, and it can seemingly take anything and keep on getting up--I'd expect no less from something modeled after a tardigrade.

Rock: Roggenrola
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2882/dangoroidle.gif
This little Pokémon is somewhat unremarkable. And yet, it's VERY remarkable at the same time. It's a Pokémon nobody remembers, and it's a contender for the most featureless Pokémon yet. It's got two legs without arms, and the only feature on its face is a single ear. (That's what the hole is.) And yet, it's that sort of design where, if they were real, I'd spend hours just watching them walk about.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1218/pkmnrotation2small.png
Props to anyone who draws a good Klinklang, because gears are HARD. I learned this myself drawing Klinklang--what you see right there is my own drawing. It looks like something you'd find in some robot Pokémon or some other clockwork Pokémon, yet it wanders around outside of any machine on its own. The Klink line was most likely made just to experiment with the constantly moving sprites, but I do like what came out of this. Klinklang, by itself, makes good examples of the bevel gear (two gears at right angles to each other), the sun-and-planet gear (one gear connected to another gear with a bigger gear directly behind the second smaller gear), and the external gear (the big spiked ring at the bottom). Like with Vanilluxe, it is just such an unlikely-looking combatant.

Water: Keldio
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8092/kerudio1.jpg
D'Artagnan, representing the little guy in all of us with a big heart who wants to change the world and be a hero.

2up44
10th February 2011, 11:05 PM
I got info that the new legendary pokemon keldeo will have more than one form! just like shamin. also I heard that pokemon like victini will be called mythical pokemon not legendary pokemon

Kreis
10th February 2011, 11:14 PM
I got info that the new legendary pokemon keldeo will have more than one form! just like shamin. also I heard that pokemon like victini will be called mythical pokemon not legendary pokemon

Your sources are not correct. First of all, there's nothing indicating whatsoever that Keldeo will receive another form. None at all. Secondly, all legendary Pokemon will now be referred to as "Mythical" as opposed to their original title, "Legendary." This includes the phantoms.

bulber
10th February 2011, 11:15 PM
I prefered the calling them Legendaries, so what will we call them now, Mythicaries? Myths? Roman Gods?

;150; ;151; ;147; ;146; ;145;

Sorry, you've lost your titles.

lindsy95
10th February 2011, 11:19 PM
Your sources are not correct. First of all, there's nothing indicating whatsoever that Keldeo will receive another form. None at all. Secondly, all legendary Pokemon will now be referred to as "Mythical" as opposed to their original title, "Legendary." This includes the phantoms.

The official pokemon site still has 'legendary' when talking about Reshi and Zek (and Victini is under that section too). Where is the mythical stuff coming from?

Torrentr
10th February 2011, 11:20 PM
Yay for lists! :)

Normal: Cincinno
Fire: Volcarona
Water: Dewott
Electric: Zebstraika
Flying: Archeops
Bug: Escavalier
Poison: Scollipede
Ground: Drilbur
Rock: Gigalith
Ice: Beartic
Dark: Zoroark
Psychic: Meloetta (Aria Forme)
Fighting: Scrafty
Ghost: Lampent
Dragon: Fraxure
Steel: Cobalion

Weaver_8
10th February 2011, 11:22 PM
I shall join in with the mentioning of my favorite Pokemon this Gen

Fire - Emboar (I wasn't sure what to think of him at first, until I saw fanart of him dressed up as Gannon. Also I think he's cute as a button)

Normal - Watchog (Those eyes! They are so cool! I believe they were the main thing that made me decided to get him as my first regional rodent Pokemon.)

Grass - Simisage ( Elvis Monkey, enough said.)

Psychic - Musharna (I can just see it floating around in the middle of the night with all it's eerie glory. If it glows I would so use it as a night light.)

Poison - Scolipede (Is it just me or does he look like he can be ridden like a pony. I've recently gotten a love of centipedes, so he was a shooin for my faves)

Fighting - Scrafty ( The reason for why I like this one is because of how odd it looks. It also comes from a very cute little pants lizard :3)

Water - Carracosta ( Something about it's rocky texture makes it look very endearing to me.)

Steel - Klinklang ( I have always been a fan of dream like creatures, and places, especially when they are mechanical. Thank you GameFreak :3)

Electric - Eelektross ( LOOK! It's skipping (:D)

Ice - Cryogonal ( It looks perfectly surreal. I shall call him old man snow)

Dragon - Druddigon (Is it just me or does he look like he just came out of a little kids toy box ?)

Dark - Bisharp ( I like pointy things...)

Bug - Volcarona (It's the first pokemon to learn fly! I'm like a moth to a flame for it <har har>)

Flying - Mandibuzz (She needs more love.)

Ghost - Cofagrigus ( It makes me sad when I read its pre-evo's dex entry)

Ground - Golurk (One question. How the heck does it learn fly? Does it have rocket boots, or does it just use its ghost powers.)

Rock - Terrakion ( Don't know why, he just seems cute to me.)

Hope you all enjoyed my favorites. Oh, and my favorite Elite four member is Marshal.

Dracoste
10th February 2011, 11:23 PM
The official pokemon site still has 'legendary' when talking about Reshi and Zek (and Victini is under that section too). Where is the mythical stuff coming from?

They refer Victini as a "Mythical" Pokémon here (http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/pokemon/victini/). But I think the Pokémon that get refered as "Mythical" are probably the event Pokémon(Like Meloetta). I think the other ones are still refered as "legendary".

The Eleventh
10th February 2011, 11:23 PM
Zekrom and Reshiram are referred to as legendaries on the official site (which has updated with new stuff, BTW), so I presume "Mythical" only refers to event-exclusive Pokémon, like Victini. Celebi is also referred to as a Mythical Pokémon, so there's more proof.

EDIT: Whoa, ninja'd by a few people. xD

Hejiru
10th February 2011, 11:50 PM
I'll just repeat what I said on the Pokebeach forums:

I think "Mythical" just refers to event-only Legendaries, which is why Arceus, Celebi, and Victini are described this way. Besides, "Legendary" is such a staple term in Pokemon they'd be stupid to try and change it.

The way I see it, Mythical is a subclass of Legendary. So there are still 48 Legendaries, but only some are Mythical.

So after the words "legendary", "evolution", and "shiny", is "mythical" gonna become a noun now too? :p

Weaver_8
10th February 2011, 11:50 PM
Why are they calling them mythical? I don't mind the name, but why?

SasakiThePikachu
10th February 2011, 11:52 PM
I think Chantelle would've been way too princessy for Shikimi and it resembles Caitlin alot too. Shauntal is way cooler and creepier and that "haunt" in there makes sense too. I think it's just perfect because she really did deserve to get a really classy name.

I'm also liking Grimsley and Marshal a whole lot too! Alder on the other hand seems very awkward and plain. To me it certainly doesn't seem like a fitting name for The Champion.

The Gym Leaders' names are still as good as before. Actually I find the fact I like them very strange, since names with such obvious references to their specialty types don't usually appeal to me at all. My favourites are probably Lenora, Elesa and Skyla. Brycen is surprisingly close to Pryce.

Overall, I'm still feeling extremely happy about these names.

So Chantelle is close to Caitlin (er, what?) but Brycen isn't too close to Pryce?

'Shauntal' isn't cool or classy, that's the problem. It's just a new level of trying-too-hard wierd. I get that Ninty like the punny reference to what pkmn the leader trains, but at least Brawly and Brock etc. don't sound like America's Next Top Model rejects. Or Meyerpires. Just sayin.

@Weaver_8, lol :D I don't know why so many people have Audino nightmares...have they not seen Musharna with its eyes open? That's some serious Nightmare Fuel there...

Weaver_8
10th February 2011, 11:59 PM
@Weaver_8, lol :D I don't know why so many people have Audino nightmares...have they not seen Musharna with its eyes open? That's some serious Nightmare Fuel there...

I have to agree with you... though I find Musharna's open eyes reminds me of Winnie the Pooh for some reason. In fact Musharna looks like something from Pooh's nightmare. It's so darling though how could the aura of terror it have make people ignore that? IT WILL BE MINE!

bulber
11th February 2011, 12:17 AM
I have to agree with you... though I find Musharna's open eyes reminds me of Winnie the Pooh for some reason. In fact Musharna looks like something from Pooh's nightmare. It's so darling though how could the aura of terror it have make people ignore that? IT WILL BE MINE!

It's a Heffalump or Woozle!

Dr. Leggs
11th February 2011, 12:18 AM
Mythical seems to refer to event Pokemon, which Japanese sources have historically referred to as 'Phantom Pokemon'.

bulber
11th February 2011, 12:22 AM
Mythical seems to refer to event Pokemon, which Japanese sources have historically referred to as 'Phantom Pokemon'.

Would that make Zorua's family "Mythical?"

Dr. Leggs
11th February 2011, 12:27 AM
No, because they aren't legendary and can be encountered in-game without an event.

GaZsTiC
11th February 2011, 12:30 AM
Would that make Zorua's family "Mythical?"

No. Phantom is a sub-class of legendary, to which Zoroark does not fit into such a category.

Phantom Pokemon, or "Mythical" as GameFreak seem to be calling them are Pokemon such as Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Shaymin.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
11th February 2011, 2:54 AM
Is it a coincidence that Victini is based off of a carved apple shaped like a Rabbit and the game is released in the Lunar Year of the Rabbit? (Also it could reference New York City, the Big APPLE.)

BCVM22
11th February 2011, 3:13 AM
Is it a coincidence that Victini is based off of a carved apple shaped like a Rabbit and the game is released in the Lunar Year of the Rabbit?

When you consider the game's original release was last September? Yes.

Maverik
11th February 2011, 3:21 AM
When you consider the game's original release was last September? Yes.

And that Victini's concept was developed probably long before that.

s2daam
11th February 2011, 11:27 AM
It really annoys me that I can't get a Zorua/Zoroark. I haven't got another DS and I don't have Wi-Fi.. hopefully they become available in the third games :L

isshoni
11th February 2011, 2:35 PM
So Chantelle is close to Caitlin (er, what?) but Brycen isn't too close to Pryce?

'Shauntal' isn't cool or classy, that's the problem. It's just a new level of trying-too-hard wierd. I get that Ninty like the punny reference to what pkmn the leader trains, but at least Brawly and Brock etc. don't sound like America's Next Top Model rejects. Or Meyerpires. Just sayin.

Brycen is a bit too close to Pryce is what I meant but didn't really finish off my sentence there. My bad.

I think Shauntal is cool enough and at least better than Chantelle, which imo is still way too much like Caitlin. I don't like the idea of Shikimi having been named Chantelle because I feel it's too princessy a name for her persona. I'm not saying Shauntal is the best name ever yay, but what I'm trying to say is that to me it's at least better and more fitting for Shikimi than Chantelle.

As sad as it is, Shauntal really does sound like an ANTM reject straight from the ghetto..

Also, as I said before, I've always hated this kind of overly punny and just plain stupid names, but the ones we have now are surprisingly likable. Thank goodness I was expecting something a lot worse.

tmega90
11th February 2011, 2:56 PM
It is cool that the little Legendaries are being called Mythical Pokemon, a very cool name for them.

e9310103838
11th February 2011, 3:17 PM
Is Event Pokémon called Mirage Pokémon? ;422;

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 3:32 PM
Is Event Pokémon called Mirage Pokémon? ;422;

No, legendary Pokémon that you only can get through an event are called "Mythical Pokémon"(like Mew, Jirachi, Victini, Keldeo, etc) as you can read here (http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/pokemon/victini/).

Xman96
11th February 2011, 3:43 PM
I would also like to add that I think a pokemon is "mythical" only if they can only be had through an event. Otherwise the legendary dogs are mythical now.

Endless
11th February 2011, 3:45 PM
I would also like to add that I think a pokemon is "mythical" only if they can only be had through an event. Otherwise the legendary dogs are mythical now.
Did you read the post right above you?

No, legendary Pokémon that you get via an event are called "Mythical Pokémon"(like Mew, Jirachi, Victini, Keldeo, etc) as you can read here (http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/pokemon/victini/).

SasakiThePikachu
11th February 2011, 3:50 PM
Brycen is a bit too close to Pryce is what I meant but didn't really finish off my sentence there. My bad.

I think Shauntal is cool enough and at least better than Chantelle, which imo is still way too much like Caitlin. I don't like the idea of Shikimi having been named Chantelle because I feel it's too princessy a name for her persona. I'm not saying Shauntal is the best name ever yay, but what I'm trying to say is that to me it's at least better and more fitting for Shikimi than Chantelle.

As sad as it is, Shauntal really does sound like an ANTM reject straight from the ghetto..

Also, as I said before, I've always hated this kind of overly punny and just plain stupid names, but the ones we have now are surprisingly likable. Thank goodness I was expecting something a lot worse.

Set your sights so low that you won't be disappointed, eh? That's pretty much my philosophy on life :D Compared to the annoying fans who expect perfection and then are actually shocked and appalled by anything less, I must applaud your attitude for being remarkably and refreshingly positive. Haha, thank you for that :)

One thing I don't understand about the leader/E4 names...and this regards all of them, not just this gen...is that some of them are hit-you-over-the-head punny almost to the point of not being names (who is actually named Brawly?!), but some really do just seem to be normal names. It's irritatingly inconsistent. Like, off the top of my head here, Lt. Surge is obvious, but Lorelei? Where did that one come from? And Drake clearly implies a dragon master...but Clair? Ehh??

Xman96
11th February 2011, 3:51 PM
Yes I did. What I'm saying is that the legendary dogs were given out at an event, but that does not make them mythical. So far the only pokemon that would be considered mythical are legendaries that can only be gotten at events. The 3 dogs can be gotten through normal gameplay. I was just clarifying that fact

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 3:53 PM
Yes I did. What I'm saying is that the legendary dogs were given out at an event, but that does not make them mythical. So far the only pokemon that would be considered mythical are legendaries that can only be gotten at events. The 3 dogs can be gotten through normal gameplay. I was just clarifying that fact

No, legendary Pokémon that you only can get through an event are called "Mythical Pokémon"(like Mew, Jirachi, Victini, Keldeo, etc) as you can read here
I edited it ^_^

Endless
11th February 2011, 3:53 PM
But that was kind of obvious, wasn't it?. Espessialy after the examples he listed.

Hejiru
11th February 2011, 3:55 PM
Ok so the event-only legendaries are:

Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Deoxys
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect

So those would be the "Mythical" Legendaries. Did I miss any?

I wonder... if Manaphy is event-only, does that make Phione an event Pokemon by extension? Its not really an event Pokemon, but you need an event Pokemon to get it.

So counting Phione, 13 out of 48 Legendaries are mythical. Not counting Phione, 12 out of 48.

I don't think Zorua and Zoroark count as Mythical since they're not legendary, and the site doesn't refer to them as Mythical.

Xman96
11th February 2011, 4:15 PM
But that was kind of obvious, wasn't it?. Espessialy after the examples he listed.

Just clarifying.

Ah I see. Sorry didn't catch the edit.

Lucario0708
11th February 2011, 6:32 PM
imo the regular dragon types of this gen don't look too good, crimgan just looks like he is constipated, that three headed thing looks plain weird, the only dragon line in this gen that is remotely awesome is the Haxorus line, i mean, it is a T-rex with an axe on his head, need i say more?

Dr. Leggs
11th February 2011, 6:35 PM
As Deoxys and Manaphy can be obtained through Ranger missions, does that still make them Mythical?

And I actually really like Druddigon and Hydreigon, after getting used to them a bit. I prefer those two over Dragonite, Garchomp and especially Salamence any day (Kingdra will always be my favourite Dragon, though).

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 6:39 PM
As Deoxys and Manaphy can be obtained through Ranger missions, does that still make them Mythical?

The ranger missions are still "events", cause those pokémon aren't catchable in a normal playthrough. So that would made them also "mythical Pokémon".

Poke_Mania97
11th February 2011, 6:56 PM
im not sure if this is right, but isnt Pokemon brown a trademark? anyway if it is, then couldnt Landlos be the mascot for it?

i mean they did it for 2nd gen with suicune. but then again ho-oh and lugia were a duo and didnt have a 3rd member to make it a trio...

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 7:08 PM
im not sure if this is right, but isnt Pokemon brown a trademark? anyway if it is, then couldnt Landlos be the mascot for it?

i mean they did it for 2nd gen with suicune. but then again ho-oh and lugia were a duo and didnt have a 3rd member to make it a trio...

I think Kyurem will be the mascot of the third version, but I think it's not weird to think about a more in-dept story/event about Landorus, because Black has Tornadus and White has Thundurus. So then it's possible "Grey" is going to do something with Landorus.

Dr. Leggs
11th February 2011, 7:20 PM
The ranger missions are still "events", cause those pokémon aren't catchable in a normal playthrough. So that would made them also "mythical Pokémon".
Right, my mind blanked. Wasn't sure if that would count as an event. I like the term 'Mythical', though it seems a bit odd on Pokemon like Deoxys and Genesect... It's not a big deal though.

I think Kyurem will be the mascot of the third version, but I think it's not weird to think about a more in-dept story/event about Landorus, because Black has Tornadus and White has Thundurus. So then it's possible "Grey" is going to do something with Landorus.
We've got much more evidence that Kyurem is going to be the mascot of Unova III, so I really doubt Landorus will be the primary/box mascot. There's nothing to say it couldn't play a bigger part in the story though, as you said.

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 7:26 PM
Right, my mind blanked. Wasn't sure if that would count as an event. I like the term 'Mythical', though it seems a bit odd on Pokemon like Deoxys and Genesect... It's not a big deal though.

We've got much more evidence that Kyurem is going to be the mascot of Unova III, so I really doubt Landorus will be the primary/box mascot. There's nothing to say it couldn't play a bigger part in the story though, as you said.

It indeed sounds weird to call a killing machine that lived 100.000.000 years ago "Mythical"...Oh well.

No I meant that Landorus(perhaps with the other two involving) just gets it's/their own story, like, after you defeated the Elite 4 or something.
And perhaps the three musceteers also comes in the story of Kyurem or gets a story of their own, just like the lake trio in Pt.

Dr. Leggs
11th February 2011, 7:28 PM
It indeed sounds weird to call a killing machine that lived 100.000.000 years ago "Mythical"...Oh well.
Nor do I usually associate myths and protean space viruses. :P

No I meant that Landorus just gets a bigger part in the story, like, after you defeated the Elite 4.

Oh, I know, I guess I was more directing that to the person you were quoting. Sorry. XD

R_N
11th February 2011, 7:47 PM
No I meant that Landorus(perhaps with the other two involving) just gets it's/their own story, like, after you defeated the Elite 4 or something.
And perhaps the three musceteers also comes in the story of Kyurem or gets a story of their own, just like the lake trio in Pt.

The Lake trio got involved (and, fyi, were also involved in the "Vanilla" DP games) because they were specifically entrenched in the Sinnoh mythos involving the Dragon trio & Arceus.

The Musketeers and Kami...don't.

isshoni
11th February 2011, 9:09 PM
No, legendary Pokémon that you only can get through an event are called "Mythical Pokémon"(like Mew, Jirachi, Victini, Keldeo, etc) as you can read here (http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/pokemon/victini/).

I haven't actually looked into this, but I was just thinking that is Victini the only legendary so far labeled Mythical or have Keldeo and co. actually been named Mythical too? Couldn't it just be that the Japanese differentiation between legendaries would now be applied to the English versions too?

So what I mean is that couldn't Mythical Pokémon just be a parallel term for the Japanese Mirage Pokémon? I'm not totally sure about what exactly does the term Mirage Pokémon apply to, but I'm thinking it could be just Mew, Celebi, Manaphy, Shaymin and Victini or those plus the event only legendaries. Anyway, I'm regarding Mythical Pokémon as a term similar to Mirage Pokémon and in my opinion it is a step forward. They can't all just be legendary.

Set your sights so low that you won't be disappointed, eh? That's pretty much my philosophy on life :D Compared to the annoying fans who expect perfection and then are actually shocked and appalled by anything less, I must applaud your attitude for being remarkably and refreshingly positive. Haha, thank you for that :)

One thing I don't understand about the leader/E4 names...and this regards all of them, not just this gen...is that some of them are hit-you-over-the-head punny almost to the point of not being names (who is actually named Brawly?!), but some really do just seem to be normal names. It's irritatingly inconsistent. Like, off the top of my head here, Lt. Surge is obvious, but Lorelei? Where did that one come from? And Drake clearly implies a dragon master...but Clair? Ehh??

Exactly. Nothing's perfect and much less Ninty. The franchise has to appeal to younger players too and they tend to appreciate punny names more because they're just simply funny. The older players just have to deal with it.

I hate Brawly too, and yes, some of them are really horrid, but how on earth can you not love Lorelei? Omg it's like the prettiest and coolest and my favourite E4/leader name ever, and it's a regular name too.

Laprashunter
11th February 2011, 9:17 PM
I found this on another forum! www.pokemonblackandwhite.net is currently holding a contest giving out lots of Pokemon Black and White prizes. Just thought some people here might want to enter as well. The trivias are pretty fun.

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/

Grassmaster411
11th February 2011, 9:23 PM
Pros
-Bravairy is the best bird ever!
-New dragons kick butt
-Illusion ability is gonna be big
-Rocking fossils
-Great typing on the legendary dragons

Cons
-Starters suck
-monkeys suck
-most of the grass, bug, fighting, ice, and legendarys suck
-Gear, do I even need to say it.

R_N
11th February 2011, 9:28 PM
Pros
Cons
-Starters suck
-monkeys suck
Why do the starters, monkeys, grass, bug, fighting, and ice types suck. Also legendaries and gear

Especially interested in why the types' new Pokemon suck

Poke_Mania97
11th February 2011, 9:40 PM
Why do the starters, monkeys, grass, bug, fighting, and ice types suck. Also legendaries and gear

Especially interested in why the types' new Pokemon suck

yer i wanna know too! i mean the starters are awseome! Serperior looks sick, samurott has two swords, and Emboar can learn some grass and water moves.

monkeys- even though i dont like them that much, theyre quite cute and looks good.

bug- alright i hate bug types cause i love fire, but genesect and that fire/bug are cool. genesect has a bloody cannon for peeps sake!!!

fighting- come on the musketeers?

ice type- what? have u not seen Kyerum?

Legendaries- your stupid, reshiram and zekrom are by far better than dialga and palkia, even though i like them too. The muskteers are quite cool having read the description about protecting pokemon from humans and going into castles. Kami trio, even though their spirtes are quite stupid, they cool. Kyerum, come on i dont even need to say how cool he (it) is! it eats humans!
Genesect- cannon. victini- just cool and i like fire. its cute and in my opinion quite powerful

only legendary i dont like is meleotta

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 9:49 PM
Cons
-Starters suck
-monkeys suck

Care to explain us why exactly they "suck"?

Cause I don't really see it, I love Serperior, Samurott is a Samurai, etc, etc, and while I'm not really fond of Emboar, I don't find him "suck"
Monkeys aren't the greatest Pokémon ever, but their designs looks rather funny, both the Pan and Simi ones.
Grass got some amzing pokémon like Serperior, Whimsicott and Ferrothorn.
This gen also gave me an completely different look on the bug pokémon(in a positive way, BTW)
Fighting, It got the three musketeers, an elder that uses concrete as canes and it contain Mienshao!
Ice, while there aren't that many this time, they are rather nice.

And Klink, I can't explain in words to how Brilliant that line is!

SasakiThePikachu
11th February 2011, 9:55 PM
Exactly. Nothing's perfect and much less Ninty. The franchise has to appeal to younger players too and they tend to appreciate punny names more because they're just simply funny. The older players just have to deal with it.

I hate Brawly too, and yes, some of them are really horrid, but how on earth can you not love Lorelei? Omg it's like the prettiest and coolest and my favourite E4/leader name ever, and it's a regular name too.

Hehe, we older fans appreciate funny wordplay too :) I especially like the clever ones like Hydreigon that take you a few glances to figure out just how many puns are in there :D

Oh don't get me wrong, I do love Lorelei - I loved her name so much that when they called her 'Prima' in the dub, I had a moment of spitting and hissing fangirl rage (yeah..I was like ten at the time xD). But my point is why do only SOME of the leader names refer to what pokemon they train? If that's going to be a running joke, why don't it apply to ALL leaders and not just some? It's bizzare to have Captain Obvious references like 'Gardenia' mixed with WTF random everyday names like 'Steven'.

tmega90
11th February 2011, 9:56 PM
I don't think any of the new Pokemon suck. I like all of them. Even the one that I like the least, Stunfisk is kind of a cool Pokemon.

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 10:02 PM
Hehe, we older fans appreciate funny wordplay too :) I especially like the clever ones like Hydreigon that take you a few glances to figure out just how many puns are in there :D

Oh don't get me wrong, I do love Lorelei - I loved her name so much that when they called her 'Prima' in the dub, I had a moment of spitting and hissing fangirl rage (yeah..I was like ten at the time xD). But my point is why do only SOME of the leader names refer to what pokemon they train? If that's going to be a running joke, why don't it apply to ALL leaders and not just some? It's bizzare to have Captain Obvious references like 'Gardenia' mixed with WTF random everyday names like 'Steven'.

Indeed, I still enjoy most of the puns in the names, some are just better than the other ones, it also helps that I'm not from England, and so I don't know most words, and they end up as "learned a new word today" towards me(like tepig and Tranquill)

I actually just (a couple of months ago) realized that Prima was actually Lorelei, they changed it just because of the lenght of the pronouncion.

While Steven is an everyday name, it still refers the type he's specialized in: Steven-Steel.
Some are still very obvious and contain the full word(Like Clay and Skyla this gen) and some are made of different pieces of it. Could it be that the names are though by different people, they probably have some kind of team for this, so that may explain why the name styles differs so much between them. They probably come up with different names and decide the best one.

BW202
11th February 2011, 10:13 PM
Cons
-Starters suck
-monkeys suck

What?! These Pokemon are awesome save a few. The starters are awesome besides the fact they went with Fire/Fighting again. The monkeys aren't amazing but they definitely don't suck. I mean Simipour is Bob Marley in Pokemon form! Klinklang may not be that original at first, but it's a brilliant design considering how it evolves from one part to a machine. Oh and here's a simple equation:

Stunfisk = Legendaries don't suck XD

If most of the Pokemon from four different types suck to you then you probably haven't really looked at them. Mienshao is my personal favorite Fighting type ever. Scolipede's line is a beast, as is Accelgor.

Mario with Lasers
11th February 2011, 10:17 PM
Why do the ice types suck

where do I begin

isshoni
11th February 2011, 10:37 PM

My world shattered to pieces when I heard her being called Prima in the anime. Thankfully everything was somewhat saved by the the way she was presented as super cool, overly calm and "as unforgiving as ice". She's my all time favourite Pokémon character and I think she deserved a comeback a lot more than say Caitlin or Koga. No matter how unlikely, I still live in the hopes of someday seeing her as The Champion of some region. :p

It's true that those common everyday names and names with obvious references have previously been thrown around seemingly randomly, but now it seems that they have finally settled on a single approach, since every leader/E4 member, barring Lenora, has their name clearly referencing their specialty type. Maybe even Lenora as a "normal name" is a reference to her specializing in the normal type.

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 10:41 PM
but now it seems that they have finally settled on a single approach, since every leader/E4 member, barring Lenora, has their name clearly referencing their specialty type. Maybe even Lenora as a "normal name" is a reference to her specializing in the normal type.

Actually, the word "normal" is in her name: Lenora. So she also has the type she is specialized in in her name.

The names I'm now wondering about are Cilan and Cress, it probably contains something like food or things you find in the kitchen like Chili's name.

CaptainBrain
11th February 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm just now really looking the new Pokemon over. Yeah, I know that I'm really late. My favorites so far are Serperior and Unfezzant.

The grass starter rarely disappoints (here's looking at you Meganium), and Unfezzant looks like Staraptor's crazy uncle. I love it.

GaZsTiC
11th February 2011, 10:45 PM
Actually, the word "normal" is in her name: Lenora. So she also has the type she is specialized in in her name.

The names I'm now wondering about are Cilan and Cress, it probably contains something like food or things you find in the kitchen like Chili's name.

Cilan = Cilantro
Cress = Water cress.

isshoni
11th February 2011, 10:49 PM

Oh wow, I so missed that one totally.

R_N
11th February 2011, 10:50 PM
Oh wow, I so missed that one totally.

l e n o r a

n o r m e l

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 10:52 PM
Cilan = Cilantro
Cress = Water cress.

Looks like Pokémon aren't the only things that let me say "learned a new word today":D

tmega90
11th February 2011, 10:53 PM
I really like how creative the trade evolution between Shelmet and Karrablast is. It is cool that Karrablast takes Shelmet's helmet shell and wears it as Escavalier and it is cool that you need to trade both of them.

Dracoste
11th February 2011, 11:16 PM
I really like how creative the trade evolution between Shelmet and Karrablast is. It is cool that Karrablast takes Shelmet's helmet shell and wears it as Escavalier and it is cool that you need to trade both of them.

Yeah, it's really creative, I wonder if it's mentioned or hinted by an NPC in the game, otherwise there will be some people that doesn't know how to evolve them.

Hejiru
11th February 2011, 11:22 PM

Yes... although I think they should've been version exclusives and next to each other in the Pokedex. And Shelmet being Bug/Steel would've made more sense.

gliscor&yanmega
11th February 2011, 11:23 PM
Pros
-Bravairy is the best bird ever!
-New dragons kick butt
-Illusion ability is gonna be big
-Rocking fossils
-Great typing on the legendary dragons

Cons
-Starters suck
-monkeys suck

Bravairy isn't that great to me. I know it's well liked but I just don't see anything great about it for myself.

Most of the Dragon types are pretty awesome to me. Zekrom, and Kyurem are my favorites out of them all.

Illusion was a let down for me, nothing against it though.

The fossils aren't that great for me, nothing against them though.

I like the typing on the Legendary Dragons too.

The starters seem fine to me.

The Monkeys seem fine to me, although I'm not crazy about them.

The Grass, Fighting, and Ice types are fine to me. I love all the Bug types in this generation. The Legendary Pokemon this generation have all caught my interest, but I'm not crazy about using them in battle aside from a few.

I love Klink.

But this is nothing but our own personal opinions. It's not like what we think is awesome is actually awesome, or what we think sucks actually sucks. Nope it's just personal opinions, neither is more right or more wrong than the other.

The Oncoming Storm
11th February 2011, 11:40 PM
[/Quote] It's not like what we think is awesome is actually awesome, or what we think sucks actually sucks. Nope it's just personal opinions, neither is more right or more wrong than the other.[/QUOTE]

Actually my personal opinions are fact so yeah.

Anyway I like all the starters bar serperior. I just wish t would have kept th legs. Snivy is okay though, the smug lil basterd.

And those types you mentioned got some of the best pokemon in thier respective type pools this gen. I personally want to do like five runthroughs cause all the different pokemon I want to try.

R_N
12th February 2011, 2:33 AM
Heh heh, this is neat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6RhEeuFZQ

It's basically a [Japananse] Unova version of the Pokemon rap, done by vocaloids and a whoooole bunch of neat fanart.
Thought it was neat how the names were pronounced, too.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 2:44 AM
Sorry, I should clarify. The ice cream pokemon (which are the ice I was metioning) the clown fighting type, Meloetta and the water unicorn, bugs like sewaddle and its evolutions are the ones I personally don't like. The monkeys seem the be elemental versions of aipom. The slow fire/fighting and strange looking water dissapoint me. Snivy has nothing perticulary wrong with it, but I feel dissapointed that they broke the dinosaur grass starter tradition. As for the gear, I agree that its sprite seems, copied and paced, but I'll jugde it when I get the game.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 2:50 AM
Sorry I upset so many people. I was speaking of specific pokemon. as for the monkeys and starters, I havent played the game yet, so I going on apperance alone. Again I apologize.

BCVM22
12th February 2011, 2:53 AM
There is no "dinosaur" grass-type tradition. Treecko is not a dinosaur, nor is Turtwig and while Sceptile may be vaguely saurian, Torterra is not.

There is a reptilian tradition, certainly, and there's no way you can claim the Snivy line isn't reptilian.

Pansear, Panpour and Pansage look nothing like Aipom save for all of them being monkeys.

And finally, these and all Pokémon are here to stay. They aren't going anywhere. As I see it, you can either complain for the next five years until we get a new batch and this whole unholy cycle starts all over again, or you can accept them.

rocky505
12th February 2011, 2:59 AM
There is no "dinosaur" grass-type tradition. Treecko is not a dinosaur, nor is Turtwig and while Sceptile may be vaguely saurian, Torterra is not.

There is a reptilian tradition, certainly, and there's no way you can claim the Snivy line isn't reptilian.

Pansear, Panpour and Pansage look nothing like Aipom save for all of them being monkeys.

And finally, these and all Pokémon are here to stay. They aren't going anywhere. As I see it, you can either complain for the next five years until we get a new batch and this whole unholy cycle starts all over again, or you can accept them. Torterra has some Ankylosaur in it so it would have some dinosaur in it. The grass type starters are mainly just a reptillian tradition. Some have said the fire types are sort of like the 12 animals thing in China though I do not see what Cyndaquil is for it. The water types tradition is based on Aquatic animals who can walk on land.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 3:00 AM
Honestly, I was just voicing my opinions on it. I like a lot of the new pokemon. By the way though, I can prove the grass dinosaur tradition.

Venasaur= Has "saur" in the name.

Megainium= Sauropod dinosaur, such as Brachiosaurus.

Sceptile= Small theropods such as Diphlosaurus

Torterra= Armored dinosaur, like Anklylosaurus.

GalladeX
12th February 2011, 3:00 AM
Heh heh, this is neat

It's basically a [Japananse] Unova version of the Pokemon rap, done by vocaloids and a whoooole bunch of neat fanart.

That was one of the most amazing things that I've seen all year.
Thank you.

GaZsTiC
12th February 2011, 3:07 AM
Heh heh, this is neat

~ GEECHISU! GEECHISU!!!! ~

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv11/Sceptile_2009/1297083477456.jpg

This made my day.

rocky505
12th February 2011, 3:11 AM
Honestly, I was just voicing my opinions on it. I like a lot of the new pokemon. By the way though, I can prove the grass dinosaur tradition.

Venasaur= Has "saur" in the name.

Megainium= Sauropod dinosaur, such as Brachiosaurus.

Sceptile= Small theropods such as Diphlosaurus

Torterra= Armored dinosaur, like Anklylosaurus. I see no dinosaur in Venasaur I see frog.

Disgruntled Goat
12th February 2011, 3:12 AM
Torterra has some Ankylosaur in it so it would have some dinosaur in it. The grass type starters are mainly just a reptillian tradition.
And Serperior continues the tradition by being a grass snake pokemon.

GaZsTiC
12th February 2011, 3:13 AM
I see no dinosaur in Venasaur I see frog.

You can't be serious... It even has the suffix "saur" in it's name.

As for the other Grass starters...debatable.

Kreis
12th February 2011, 3:20 AM

It seems as everyone forgets that they also have Japanese names, and the english names are no accurate indication of what a Pokemon is based off of.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 3:29 AM
Scollpede= looks like arthoplura so i love it

Krookodlie= crunch, earthquake, outrage. need I say more?

Bravairy=has superpower, so rocks and steels are no longer a problem

Galvantula= New favorite type combo

Sawsbuck= new favorite gimmick, but could probaly still be used competitively

This will probably be my last comment on this thread for a while. Just to show people that Im not just complaining, my original post had 5 pros and 4 cons.

R_N
12th February 2011, 3:51 AM
Scollpede= looks like arthoplura so i love it

Krookodlie= crunch, earthquake, outrage. need I say more?

Bravairy=has superpower, so rocks and steels are no longer a problem

Galvantula= New favorite type combo

Sawsbuck= new favorite gimmick, but could probaly still be used competitively

This will probably be my last comment on this thread for a while. Just to show people that Im not just complaining, my original post had 5 pros and 4 cons.
It was more that your original post's cons were very broad and didn't seem to be anything other then "They just suck!"

Which, considering the fandom, is mostly par for the course. You can see where confusion would crop up

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 3:53 AM
Sorry, again.

R_N
12th February 2011, 3:54 AM
That was one of the most amazing things that I've seen all year.
Thank you.
It was a nice surprise to find after wading through several song parodies (turns out that people really like the Subway Master twins and make them somewhat robotic). I particularly like the Len section and of course the

This made my day.
Ge-chis Ge-chis PLAAASUMAaaaa~~~ section

The disinterested green Scraggy was cute, too.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 4:00 AM

That is hilarious!

Tyrannotaur
12th February 2011, 4:10 AM
Heh heh, this is neat

Wow that's...awesome. Favorited. Awesome fan art in that.
I really am starting to love Haxorus. I haven't even used it yet, but its design is just awesome to me, Especially after seeing the fan art of him in that video. I wasn't going to use one in my first playthrough cause I already committed to Braviary and Krookodile, but screw it Haxorus here I come.

This made my day.

Man his eyes freak me out for some reason...

-;248;

Cobalt_Latios
12th February 2011, 4:15 AM
Heh heh, this is neat

Wow... the fact that I know most of, if not all the Japanese names pretty well actually made this even better to watch.

Lots of great fanart as well.

/CL

CuriousHeartless
12th February 2011, 4:37 AM

Saur means lizard. And Treeko and family is based on geckos, specifically Leaf-Tailed geckos. Bulbasaur and Chickorita's families are slightly diosauric (but Bulbasaur is more frog than dinosaur by a long shot). Turtwig and family is based on the world turtle of nativa american tradition. Snivy is a snake (but that one wasn't part of the complaint). Therefore 1-1.25/5 are dinosaurs not the majority. In fact, it is the minority.

And I hate people who hate a pokemon for being based on the same thing as another one. The Simis, the Pans, Mankey family, Aipom family, and Chimchar family are all monkeys. Guess what, no unrelated ones are the same type. None are exactly the same. So stop complaining about things based on the same thing, there are tons of people who do this.

And I love Vanilluxe and his preevolutions. I really don't see what you guys don't like. That he is based on something non living. Over a quarter of all pokemon are based on non-living stuff, so get over it.

R_N
12th February 2011, 5:10 AM
The only Pokemon I don't like at this point is Hiyakki (uh, Simipour?)

The design is just too...too...I don't know. It doesn't sit right with me; it kind of seems a bit too human for a monkey, I think? Simisear kind of weirded me out in a similar way at first, but I grew to like how goofy he looks.
And it's weird because I generally have no problem with humanshape Pokemon such as Gardevoir, Machamp, Conkeldurr, etc.

No wait, there's also Gothita who I don't like because she is so dang creepy. Yeeeeesh. Gothitelle is cool, though.

Shine
12th February 2011, 6:09 AM
Heh heh, this is neat

one of the best part

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/evileye.jpg

Gives a totally new perspective to the move "Evil Eye" lol

joxxmarie
12th February 2011, 6:49 AM
The Official Black and White site was updated and a few more names were confirmed (Yorterry is now Lillipup, Choroneko is Purrloin, Emonga is now Emolga, etc.), as well as finally releasing the actual information about the Victini event.

R_N
12th February 2011, 7:14 AM
one of the best part

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/evileye.jpg

Gives a totally new perspective to the move "Evil Eye" lol

hahahaha I never noticed they were tickling him before, just that they grabbed him

THOSE FIENDS

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 11:57 AM
I see no dinosaur in Venasaur I see frog.

well it kinda does, buy venusaur is based of some dinosaur. im not dinosaur expert like Ross off of Friends, but i know that Venusaur is one of the grass starters that is definetly based off of a dinosaur.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 12:45 PM
Heh heh, this is neat

Those people that apear in the right down corner, aren't they from Nico Nico Douga?

And that moving Terrakion let me to like it even more.
That picture of Jellicent and those Remoraid was rather creepy

Slowemperor
12th February 2011, 12:47 PM
Is it just me or is Serperior one the most villain-looking starters till now? It's not because it's a snake, it's more because of the smugy red eyes, the long pointy collar... And Samurott would do an awsome mentor role, with the whole samurai theme and the white facial hair.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 1:51 PM
Venasaur may not be a dinosaur directly. It could be based off of lystrosaurs or scutosaurus, which are related to turtles and mammal like reptiles.

Chibi_Muffin
12th February 2011, 2:49 PM
Is it just me or is Serperior one the most villain-looking starters till now? It's not because it's a snake, it's more because of the smugy red eyes, the long pointy collar... And Samurott would do an awsome mentor role, with the whole samurai theme and the white facial hair.

Really? I see Serperior (100% CONFIRMED name, btw) as smug and sarcastic, but not evil. Might be because it's my future starter. XP I see Samurott as loving to fight, charging in with his twin swords. And Emboar (ALSO confirmed) as... greedy, maybe? Loving to eat.

After all, I see Blaziken as Kung Fu, Infernape as boxing and Emboar as sumo wrestling... it goes miles into making the type combo more acceptable. I just hope we don't get another one...

MetalFlygon08
12th February 2011, 4:55 PM
Emboar might be a hog when it comes to eating, since Pignite burns different foods as fuels in it's stomach.

Also, anyone notice, we got some epic 'stache action this generation? Samurott, Stoutland, and some others...

Chibi_Muffin
12th February 2011, 4:59 PM
Emboar might be a hog when it comes to eating, since Pignite burns different foods as fuels in it's stomach.

Also, anyone notice, we got some epic 'stache action this generation? Samurott, Stoutland, and some others...

Don't forget Jellicent! =D Love that moustache.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 5:08 PM

I think GF went pretty wild with facial hair this gen, three legendary, beartic, and they didn't stayed with Pokémon only.

Rose Storm
12th February 2011, 5:12 PM
Drayden just looks like a buffed-up Professor Rowan to me. Not that that's a bad thing; Drayden is awesome! (if he knew how to use Haxorus properly then maybe that'd make him better, but no use complaining now).

LexSuicune
12th February 2011, 7:12 PM
Well the snake has always been a vilified creature, paired up with Serperior's physical traits, yeah, it's one of the meanest looking starters, alongside Feraligatr, Venasaur and Charizard.

SasakiThePikachu
12th February 2011, 9:02 PM

Look at my sig and tell me it looks evil. Go on, dares ya :D

I think considering it's based off the serpent, one of the most biblically iconic symbols of evil EVER, Serperior is actually quite elegant and beautiful...there's none of the insidious creepiness that Seviper has. Geez, even the TYPING of Seviper implied something corrupt, I'm only shocked they didn't give it a dark typing too.

Serperior. Smug? Yes. Evil? No.

Grassmaster411
12th February 2011, 9:05 PM
Serperior looks kinda like a king or emporer. It's skin looks like a robe

Lorde
12th February 2011, 9:06 PM

Serperior does look sort of evil compared to other Pokemon, but that was probably done on purpose. Serperior is still getting a lot of love from the fans, so I'd say that the Pokemon was a huge success and I'm looking forward to using one in Black version soon. Speaking of snake Pokemon: I think I may like Snivy even more than I did before! After watching it in action in the English anime, my appreciation for it has really grown.

Endless
12th February 2011, 9:13 PM
I don't get how Serperior look evil. Emboar looks way more evil, it is the only starter ever speculated to be dark type. And it have an angry face and just looks mean generally.

R_N
12th February 2011, 9:43 PM
Those people that apear in the right down corner, aren't they from Nico Nico Douga?

And that moving Terrakion let me to like it even more.
That picture of Jellicent and those Remoraid was rather creepy

Those would be Vocaloids, computer programs that you can make sing. It's pretty popular in Japan (and by extension niconico douga), and there's a whole bunch of them. In order they're: Miku Hatsune, probably the most popular of the bunch, Kaito and Luka, Rin, part of a set of twins with Len, Gumi, Gakupo, who is based on the singer Gackt. I've no idea who the last girl is, though.

the Jellicent picture was creepy, huh? But it kind of makes sense. They are ghost jellyfish that feed on lifefouce. What better way to take it that to have them phase through you?

MetalFlygon08
12th February 2011, 9:43 PM
I think Emboar's more Grumpy than Evil, heck you'd be Grumpy too knowing all the hate you'll get, even though you're beast!

Missingno.Fan
12th February 2011, 9:58 PM
Serperior doesn't look evil too me. Emboar on the other hand looks like a demon.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 10:16 PM
Those would be Vocaloids, computer programs that you can make sing. It's pretty popular in Japan (and by extension niconico douga), and there's a whole bunch of them. In order they're: Miku Hatsune, probably the most popular of the bunch, Kaito and Luka, Rin, part of a set of twins with Len, Gumi, Gakupo, who is based on the singer Gackt. I've no idea who the last girl is, though.

the Jellicent picture was creepy, huh? But it kind of makes sense. They are ghost jellyfish that feed on lifefouce. What better way to take it that to have them phase through you?

Yeah I've heard of them Vocaloids, pretty amazing technologie. I'm pretty much a fan of Miku(I especially like Matryoshika)

I think the vocaloids of Nico Nico Douga are called Nobunaga, Baku, Rasa, Shuiro, Tama, Viptencho, Guriri and Tane(I've just read that somewhere on another video of them)

It indeed is a sensefull view on how they suck the life force out of things...I'm not seeing a trainer petting it's Jellicent anytime soon now. Luckily the Remoraid that doesn't apear in Unova, Jellicent is only native there(for now at least)

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 10:38 PM
Serperior looks kinda like a king or emporer. It's skin looks like a robe

yer well Jalorda, its japanese name means Snake lord/snake king or king of snakes. Serperior is part of Serpent and superior. SERperior. so its the superior of snakes. RHYperior is also the superior of rhyno's maybe.

and yer it does look like a king, so i may nickname mine something to do with royalty

Ariaces
12th February 2011, 10:45 PM
Personally think Serperior would be great as a Grass/Ghost. The vampire influence could be played up.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 10:49 PM
Personally think Serperior would be great as a Grass/Ghost. The vampire influence could be played up.

Uhhh, Vampire? I'm not seeing anything vampire-ish about Serperior.

Ariaces
12th February 2011, 10:57 PM
It's kind of reminiscent of Dracula- high collar, pale skin, widows peak(sorta).

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 10:57 PM
i think the person means vampire cause of the color like part of serperior that others call a robe

Slowemperor
12th February 2011, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying Serperior is or looks down-right evil, and I'm actually also picking him as my starter (and I never pick grass/fire starters in my first installment in a new gen, I just love snakes). And the truth is when you combine smugness and royalty with a high pointy collar and red eyes, we get a character, no matter whether it is a snake or not, which would fit perfectly as an evil/corrupt aristocrat. It's like a French version of Jafar.
But in terms of looking actually evil and not simply looking antagonical, Emboar sure takes the podium with his grumpy "I'm gonna crush you with my demon wrestling techniques" look. I rather dislike his design overall, so I tend to forget about him.
Samurott is also one of the coolest Pokémon ever conceived a terrible waist of a second type (Serperior could have also gone Grass/Dark, Grass/Poison or Grass/Psychic, but the fact that he is "pure" adds a nice touch). And I don't get how people criticize his beard-stache, it is what makes him so, if you allow me the term, badass. Also he has two swords. Actual, samurai shell swords.
Despite my dislike of Emboar, I still consider this one of the best starter trio, along with RSE.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 11:00 PM
It's kind of reminiscent of Dracula- high collar, pale skin, widows peak(sorta).

Aren't those the things for European, specifically French, royalty. Also Serperior's white face alludes to the skin whitening fashion, mostly used by the European aristocracy in the 17th century.

Grei
12th February 2011, 11:04 PM

I don't think there's much vampire influence in Serperior.

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 11:06 PM
im not sure if anyone knows this, but aside from serperior being based on a snake royalty, it is also a refernece to The garden of Eden. the Snivy line is, snivy has legs, but throughout its evolution is loses its legs, from the 2nd evo to serperior.

just like the snake in the story and made all of mankinda suffer from its sin. it also made God get rid of the snakes feet similar to serperior.

so its intresting that people think it is evil as the snake in the story is the Devil

Grei
12th February 2011, 11:09 PM
^Yup. This was pointed out when Serperior was first revealed, by the people who weren't going mad over the fakeness of the starters. Amid the chaos were a few who speculated on the starters origins and some pointed out that the Snivy line could have a biblical reference.

Ariaces
12th February 2011, 11:09 PM
Aren't those the things for European, specifically French, royalty. Also Serperior's white face alludes to the skin whitening fashion, mostly used by the European aristocracy in the 17th century.

Now that you mention it you're right. The most powerful vampires simply took the appearance of aristocracy, creating the expected image of them rather than weaker, ugly ones like Orlok.

At the same time I maintain that had a vampire's image been wanted for Serp' it could have been applied.

Dracoste
12th February 2011, 11:18 PM
im not sure if anyone knows this, but aside from serperior being based on a snake royalty, it is also a refernece to The garden of Eden. the Snivy line is, snivy has legs, but throughout its evolution is loses its legs, from the 2nd evo to serperior.

just like the snake in the story and made all of mankinda suffer from its sin. it also made God get rid of the snakes feet similar to serperior.

It's DW ability, Perversity(Or "Antagonist" according to Bulbapedia), also suggests this.

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 11:30 PM
It's DW ability, Perversity(Or "Antagonist" according to Bulbapedia), also suggests this.

ah man i was just gonna edit my previous comment to say that!

R_N
12th February 2011, 11:34 PM
^Yup. This was pointed out when Serperior was first revealed, by the people who weren't going mad over the fakeness of the starters. Amid the chaos were a few who speculated on the starters origins and some pointed out that the Snivy line could have a biblical reference.

Which it isn't, by the way. It's just the aristocracy of Europe basis (which is why Snivy has the Fleur de Lis on its back). They went in detail that the whole reason they start off with legs and lose them was because they thought it would look weird or awkward to start out with no limbs. So they started with some small stubs for legs, and some arms.

The arms, by the way, were kept the whole way through. You can see Serperior put them behind its back in the sprite.

Poke_Mania97
12th February 2011, 11:40 PM
Which it isn't, by the way. It's just the aristocracy of Europe basis (which is why Snivy has the Fleur de Lis on its back). They went in detail that the whole reason they start off with legs and lose them was because they thought it would look weird or awkward to start out with no limbs. So they started with some small stubs for legs, and some arms.

The arms, by the way, were kept the whole way through. You can see Serperior put them behind its back in the sprite.

im sorry but u are wrong. its very clear that they have that bibical reference, their DW ability backs it up.

even though u are kind of correct.

Grei
12th February 2011, 11:41 PM

Oh, right. I forgot they came out and officially said what Serperior was based off of in that magazine.

Ah well. The idea was nice, at least.

R_N
12th February 2011, 11:49 PM
im sorry but u are wrong. its very clear that they have that bibical reference, their DW ability backs it up.

even though u are kind of correct.

;laksd
a;ljdsa'lsdna'slk

It was said in an interview! By official people!

Antagonist makes sense considering the personality, even. Its an entire species of smug better-then-you royal snakes!

And the Perversity=Bible reference loses more water when you consider that the other Pokemon that get the ability are
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/77/Spr_5b_213.png & http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/22/Spr_5b_327.png

Grei
12th February 2011, 11:51 PM
;laksd
a;ljdsa'lsdna'slk

It was said in an interview! By official people!

Antagonist makes sense considering the personality, even. Its an entire species of smug better-then-you royal snakes!

And the Perversity=Bible reference loses more water when you consider that the other Pokemon that get the ability are
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/77/Spr_5b_213.png & http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/22/Spr_5b_327.png

Well actually, your evidence works against you. Spinda is clearly Moses.

Also, Shuckle is Jesus.

R_N
12th February 2011, 11:55 PM
Well actually, your evidence works against you. Spinda is clearly Moses.

Also, Shuckle is Jesus.

Bull! Everyone knows that Luvdisc is the Jesus to the God that is Stunfisk.

Luvdisc swam for our sins!

SasakiThePikachu
13th February 2011, 12:16 AM

Thanks for that, I just laughed so hard I spat on my keyboard o.O

Grei
13th February 2011, 12:31 AM

Bless his flat heart!

isshoni
13th February 2011, 1:41 AM
Serperior is hands down my favourite Pokémon of this gen by design and by concept. I fell in love with him instantly and he might just become my new all-time favourite.

What I love about him the most is the fact that his apperance is so deceiving. He seems so pure and noble, but in reality he's like the devil himself. Original sin ftw o/

The allmighty Stunfisk shall drown the land in Muddy Waters of purification and strike down all non-believers with his divine Bolt of Thunder so that his worshippers could live in peace. Beware you heretics, the judgement day will come soon enough!

Thanks for that, I just laughed so hard I spat on my keyboard o.O

wearjo
13th February 2011, 3:56 AM
Serperior is hands down my favourite Pokémon of this gen by design and by concept. I fell in love with him instantly and he might just become my new all-time favourite.

What I love about him the most is the fact that his apperance is so deceiving. He seems so pure and noble, but in reality he's like the devil himself. Original sin ftw o/

The allmighty Stunfisk shall drown the land in Muddy Waters of purification and strike down all non-believers with his divine Bolt of Thunder so that his worshippers could live in peace. Beware you heretics, the judgement day will come soon enough!

lolz all the way ;370;

Night_Walker
13th February 2011, 6:02 AM
I've been left shaking my head ever since I read up on the Tepig line - third fire starter line in a row that ends up as a Fire and Fighting type... I mean are Nintendo really out of ideas for their fire starters? Why not just a straight Fire type or a different combo (say Fire and Psychic or something) for a change?

Grei
13th February 2011, 6:15 AM
I've been left shaking my head ever since I read up on the Tepig line - third fire starter line in a row that ends up as a Fire and Fighting type... I mean are Nintendo really out of ideas? Why not just a straight Fire type or a different combo for a change?

Au contraire. Remember what Infernape is based off of? Sun Wukong, a fighter monkey from the story Journey from the West? Emboar is likely based off of Zhu Bajie, another Journey From the West character. The typing makes more sense when that's taken into account.

EDIT: Actually, apparently Sugimori confirmed that Emboar is based off of a Chinese soldier. The Fire/Fighting typing still makes sense.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/interview/irbj/sp/index5.html
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Emboar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Origin

Night_Walker
13th February 2011, 6:30 AM
Au contraire. Remember what Infernape is based off of? Sun Wukong, a fighter monkey from the story Journey from the West? Emboar is likely based off of Zhu Bajie, another Journey From the West character. The typing makes more sense when that's taken into account.

EDIT: Actually, apparently Sugimori confirmed that Emboar is based off of a Chinese soldier. The Fire/Fighting typing still makes sense.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/interview/irbj/sp/index5.html
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Emboar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Origin

I personally don't care what the inspiration for each individual line is; It's the same typing 3 times in a row now.

I wouldn't mind so much if even one had been different.

I will admit to not liking the designs for any of the three but I still think it's just a case of resting on your laurels thinking it's a great combo and continuing to look for warriors from different cultures who're associated with fire.

Why not something like the Hitomoshi line, drawing inspiration from the Ghostly fires many cultures report seeing? Or from various pryokinetic characters for a Fire and Psychic type line?

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
13th February 2011, 6:35 AM
List of FTW new mons:

Stunfisk (Stunfisk used Hard Roller!)
Haxorus (50% chance of a critical hit)
Scrafty (Low riding. Nuff said.)
Bouffalant (Miror B should totally get one of these)
Alomomola (Cousin of the almighty Luvdisc)
Golurk (Golurk used Taunt: "Golurk some more!)
And many more!

BW202
13th February 2011, 6:49 AM
Ok still some names I'm confused about:

Herdier
Stoutland
Purrloin
Scolipede
Scraggy & Scrafty
Sigilyph
Carracosta
Archen & Archeops

On a lot of those I get half of the name, but the other half I don't

The Oncoming Storm
13th February 2011, 6:54 AM
Omfg @ gyradosuseddragonrage! Mushrana with its eyes open and floating like that is creepy as all hell.

I dislike dunsparce, magikarp, or luvdisc. These pokes aren't anywhere near my faves. Also no to all cult followers of thesee pokes who now probably want to sacrafice me to there respective pokemon lords.

Anywho I posted that above in correlation to the newest exalted one derpfish. I dont hate this poke. Mainly cause its part electric. But anywho you people need to chill with this whole praise the most ridiculous pokemon this gen.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
13th February 2011, 6:55 AM

Herdier
Stoutland
Purrloin
Scolipede
Scraggy & Scrafty
Sigilyph
Carracosta
Archen & Archeops

Herderier = Herd + Terrier
Stoutland = Stout + Some kind of dog breed that ends in land that name escapes me
Purrloin = Purr + Loin
Scolipede = Scolipendredae + Centipede
Scraggy = Scraggy is a word that means scrawny
Scrafty = Scrappy + Crafty
Sigilyph = Sign + Glyph
Carracosta = Carapace + Costa
Archen and Archeops = Derived from Archeopteryx.

BCVM22
13th February 2011, 6:55 AM
Purrloin

"Purr" + purloin (to steal).

Sigilyph

Sigil (symbol) + glyph (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/glyph).

Adrexus
13th February 2011, 6:59 AM
So i'm curious as to Alomomola's name and why it has the extra M as that would make it a little more awkward to pronounce. I'm sure there's some reason behind it, but i'm slightly baffled.

BCVM22
13th February 2011, 7:03 AM
Mamanbou is mama + "manbo", the Japanese word for the fish species. Alomomola is a combination of "mola mola" (the scientific name for the fish), mom and a little bit of "aloha".

R_N
13th February 2011, 7:35 AM

Herdier
Stoutland
Purrloin
Scolipede
Scraggy & Scrafty
Sigilyph
Carracosta
Archen & Archeops

In addition to some of the ones others said
Herdier is Herd + Terrier. Certain terriers have herding as one of their key traits
Stoutland is Stout and I believe Shetland sheep dog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Sheepdog Granted, it's not a perfect match, but they do have similar really poofy fur and are herd dogs
Scolipede comes from Scolopendriade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolopendridae), the family of large centipedes + ...centepede.
Carracosta most likely has origins in carabids, ground beetles, some of which very specifically eat snails (which is what Shellmet is). If you like at some pictures of carabids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_beetle) you'll see Carracosta even has some physical similarities. Costa I'm not sure about, honestly. I think it might refer to a certain section of winged insects, but I don't think Carracosta can fly; alternatively, maybe a section of certain types of leaf stems. Might make sense if that's where snails hang out? I'm an idiot and got Carracosta confused with Karablast. Costa means...coast. Carra probably references Carapace
Archen & Arhceops just seem to be corruptions and shortenings of Archeopteryx, the bird/reptile they're based off of.

BW202
13th February 2011, 7:40 AM
So i'm curious as to Alomomola's name and why it has the extra M as that would make it a little more awkward to pronounce. I'm sure there's some reason behind it, but i'm slightly baffled.

Look to the left of the middle "o", you see "mola" backwards. Look to the right of that "o" and you see "mola" again. Put them together and you get the fish mola mola! Also, look to the middle and you see "mom", Alomomola can heal other Pokemon. This is one of my personal favorite names :D

EDIT: @Volt Trainer umadbro? they're great.

Aqua Ring
13th February 2011, 11:01 AM
Seriously, when I first saw Gothitelle, I instantly thought of this...

http://www.oliviasobsession.com/Lady-Gaga-at-the-Brit-awards-2010.jpg
What can I say? I'm a big fan...

Although now I know that Gothitelle is based off the gothic style of dress, I can't help but think of Lady Gaga's layer dress.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/EyeKanFly2/sprites/576.gif

SasakiThePikachu
13th February 2011, 2:43 PM
I personally don't care what the inspiration for each individual line is; It's the same typing 3 times in a row now.

Exactly. It's a pain in the butt, isn't it? What annoys me most is that out of the starters, only the fire lines have gotten screwed over with same-old same-old typing 3 times in a row. It's not fair. But aw, well. Typing aside, I can live with the Tepig line. If, however, next gen has a fire/fighting starter, my fangirl wrath shall not be contained ^^

@ Aqua Ring - Gothitelle wants your bad romance :D

CaptainCombusken
13th February 2011, 4:24 PM
Note on Tepig: yeah, sure, it's Fire/Fighting three times in a row now, but have you seen the other types?

Meganium (Pure Grass), Sceptile (Pure Grass) and Serperior (Pure Grass). Dull and Rubbish defensive type is boring three times.
Blastoise (Pure Water), Feraligatr (Pure Water) and Samurott (Pure Water). Better type, but still, three Pure Waters is also DULL.

Fire/Fighting is great for me; they're my two favourite types. I do sympathise with everyone else who's getting bored, so am I. But I'm just saying. The Fire/Fighting aren't the only type that's been repeated.

Valoo.
13th February 2011, 5:12 PM
Sceptile should've been Grass/Dragon but it would've been too much of an advantage.

Does anyone else have a problem with the name Throh? It's so...ugh

Legendary Dreams
13th February 2011, 5:22 PM
Ideally, Serperior would have been Grass/Dark (Its based on a snake that introduced humans to sins, after all, and if it was a dragon type, I'd say that just changed everyone's mind about who to pick for their starter, so... as nice as it sounds... not a good idea)

Emboar... its design already screams Fire/Fighting, so I guess we have to bear with it. Fire/Dark would have been nice too.

Samurott should have been Water/Fighting. Since Emboar was based on a soldier, Samurott is sceaming "I'm a Samurai!".

(Just realised in my ideal situation, Emboar would crash one way or another, those designs are close)

CaptainCombusken
13th February 2011, 5:52 PM
A good Water/Fighting would have made by bloody day. Fighting types rock. I really like Poliwrtah and Keludio, but Samurott on his hind legs and being Water/Fighting... you could imagine a better Pokemon really (at least in my opinion anyway)

Kreis
13th February 2011, 6:02 PM
Ideally, Serperior would have been Grass/Dark (Its based on a snake that introduced humans to sins, after all,

I stopped reading after that. It's not based on the biblical snake. Do we really have to start this discussion again?

Poke_Mania97
13th February 2011, 6:14 PM
I stopped reading after that. It's not based on the biblical snake. Do we really have to start this discussion again?

FYI, its based on both! although it is more based on the french thing, it also has some elements of the biblical serpent. for example, the fact its legs go, its ability, its red eyes, and just how it looks.

Kreis
13th February 2011, 6:25 PM
FYI, its based on both! although it is more based on the french thing, it also has some elements of the biblical serpent. for example, the fact its legs go, its ability, its red eyes, and just how it looks.

Dammit, as Snowyarticuno said, it's said in an official interview what it is based on. If you want to delude yourself by believing that it's based on the biblical snake, that's just fine, you're wrong, but that's just fine. However, do not go spreading it about saying that it is based off the damn biblical snake.

Let me break down your points:
1. "It doesn't have legs."
-Response: The creators, as stated in an official interview, said that it would look weird if they started off without any limbs, thus the reason why they gave them short, stubby legs to begin with. Furthermore, even though Serperior no longer has legs, it still has his arms.

2. "But it has Perversity/Antagonist as its ability!"
-Response: So does Shuckle and Spinda. Are they based on some biblical lore, too?

3. "It has red eyes!"
-Response: The hell does its eye color have to do with anything?

GalladeX
13th February 2011, 6:34 PM
Y'know what Pokemon's grown on me a lot?

Druddigon/Crimgan.

I thought he had an extremely awkward and colour-clashing design, and then I realized that was the point. He's meant to be ugly since he's a gargoyle. Now I embrace his ugliness.

Anyone else have any Fifth Gen Pokemon that grew on them?

ForeverFlame
13th February 2011, 6:34 PM
Wait, we're having an argument of whether Serperior is based off of Satan? Seriously? Stop looking for subtext where it doesn't exist.

Mario with Lasers
13th February 2011, 6:48 PM

Legs: The GF staff even said the legs were there only to not make it look weird. And even then, it still has its arms.

Ability: It's French and royal-like. Doesn't it sound villainous enough? ^__^ You know, French Revolution and all that.

Red eyes: are you kidding me

Looks: It looks royal and arrogant, looking down on others. Except for the loyal part, it reminds me of myself sometimes. Am I the devil for sometimes looking like an arrogant bastard now.

Tyrannotaur
13th February 2011, 6:56 PM

Druddigon/Crimgan.

I thought he had an extremely awkward and colour-clashing design, and then I realized that was the point. He's meant to be ugly since he's a gargoyle. Now I embrace his ugliness.

The Tympole line is starting to grow on me. For whatever reason I really hated their design for a while. But after seeing him used alot in a walkthrough, I have to say he is a pretty cool amphibian.

Wait, we're having an argument of whether Serperior is based off of Satan? Seriously? Stop looking for subtext where it doesn't exist.

I agree.

-;248;

Poke_Mania97
13th February 2011, 7:13 PM
Ok i never said it wasnt based on the french thing. I knew that it was official, i just wanted to point out that there are elements to it that also give the idea of the biblical reference.

Man, there are so many people who are just unfriendly >_> ive only got comments from like 4 nice people.

Huh. look what ash has done...

Kreis
13th February 2011, 7:22 PM
Ok i never said it wasnt based on the french thing. I knew that it was official, i just wanted to point out that there are elements to it that also give the idea of the biblical reference.

Man, there are so many people who are just unfriendly >_> ive only got comments from like 4 nice people.

We understand that you're not denying it's European influences, but by you saying that it's based off the biblical beast as well, you end up looking daft. There's really no hard evidence supporting your point. Your only points are 1.)Serperior loses it's legs. 2.) Antagonist/Perversity is its ability. 3.) Red eyes.
Can you see how ridiculous those points are? Clear your head and analyze your post. Can you honestly say that those points you made support your theory that it's based off the biblical beast? Furthermore, considering we already have what the serpent line is based on, we already know that there's no other influences. That's it, just European influences. You can speculate, but you'll be wrong because, as said, we already have its origins.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
13th February 2011, 7:25 PM
If Simisage is based off of Elvis and Simipour is based off of Bob Marley, is Simisear based off of MJ?

EDIT: This Serperior = Satan argument is really stupid, please cut it out. A pokemon that has grown on me include Stunfisk and Musharna.

Tyrannotaur
13th February 2011, 7:29 PM

Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them unfriendly. Really I think we are all being very civil here.

I don't think Nintendo would include a pokemon based off of Satan. Especially after all the Religious rights groups claiming pokemon is the devil or w/e.
The Serperior line does in fact lose its legs (not arms as people have pointed out) and that could be a reference to Snakes evolving from lizards.
The main influence in the design is the French royalty concept. There are other little additions to the design that could reference something else if you looked into them as well, but the main concept here is the Regal look. An example of this would be Servine's Stegosaurus-like Leaf spikes on it's back. Is it based off a stegosaurus? No, but those do look alot like the plates of one.

-;248;

Dracoste
13th February 2011, 7:38 PM
If Simisage is based off of Elvis and Simipour is based off of Bob Marley, is Simisear based off of MJ?

No, I think he's looks like a rockabilly artist that slipped my mind, but we just have to wait until SasakiThePikachu says it, yet again.
And I think they are more based on the music style, rather than an artist of that music style. Simisage's rock, Simipour's reggea and Simisear's rockabilly.

UnovaSwampert
13th February 2011, 7:42 PM
Oh, man. The starters look great. I'll pick Oshawott, because Snivy looks like a rich snob and Tepig is just horrid.

And then Pansage, Pansear, and the other one? That is a terrible gift pokemon, their stats aren't even that strong.

Braviary looks amazing.

You know how every generation has the big, burly Dragon pokemon? What's this generations? We have: Dragonite, Tyranitar ( I know, Rock/Dark, but still... ), Salamence, and Garchomp.

Poke_Mania97
13th February 2011, 7:44 PM
Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them unfriendly. Really I think we are all being very civil here.

I don't think Nintendo would include a pokemon based off of Satan. Especially after all the Religious rights groups claiming pokemon is the devil or w/e.
The Serperior line does in fact lose its legs (not arms as people have pointed out) and that could be a reference to Snakes evolving from lizards.
The main influence in the design is the French royalty concept. There are other little additions to the design that could reference something else if you looked into them as well, but the main concept here is the Regal look. An example of this would be Servine's Stegosaurus-like Leaf spikes on it's back. Is it based off a stegosaurus? No, but those do look alot like the plates of one.

-;248;

No i mean there are other people that are just plain stupid and try to make it look like they are always right and call me stupid.

this person didn't, but its just other people do.

and yer i guess your right about the whole religion thing, but if they did base it off of the snake, i dont think they would go as far as basing it on the Devil. i think they just liked the idea of the legs going

Serebii
13th February 2011, 7:44 PM
Oh, man. The starters look great. I'll pick Oshawott, because Snivy looks like a rich snob and Tepig is just horrid.

And then Pansage, Pansear, and the other one? That is a terrible gift pokemon, their stats aren't even that strong.

Braviary looks amazing.

You know how every generation has the big, burly Dragon pokemon? What's this generations? We have: Dragonite, Tyranitar ( I know, Rock/Dark, but still... ), Salamence, and Garchomp.
Well there's Haxorus and Hydreigon. Each with their perks. Haxorus is a Physical destructive beast

Poke_Mania97
13th February 2011, 7:47 PM
Well there's Haxorus and Hydreigon. Each with their perks. Haxorus is a Physical destructive beast

agreed. i think haxorus is awseome, and i wanted it in my team when i first saw it. i liked Kingdra caus of its 540 stats, and Haxorus will just rip teams apart.

Hydreigon- i like it, it also looks awseome, just i cant be bothered to get it, i mean lv64 is quite high.

btw i just watched the 1st episode for B/W, and one part made me think. the part where trip got his snivy, i just looked at Tepig and especially oshawott's faces. I mean when we choose our starters, we dont think about how the other two feel.

R_N
13th February 2011, 7:54 PM

Druddigon/Crimgan.

I really started to love Druddigon when I saw he was pretty much the most forgetful of the dragons. He has to competed with Haxorus, the popular and super strong Dragon with a cute popular first form, Hydreigon, the dark/dragon pseudo-legend, and the box legends. Even his art gets shafted: It was covered up on the guide book cover and CoroCoro just put it in a corner along the bottom with everyone else.
I just felt so sorry for the guy, and at some point I began to really like the design.
And he's got a cool animation.

Tyrannotaur
13th February 2011, 8:07 PM
I really started to love Druddigon when I saw he was pretty much the most forgetful of the dragons. He has to competed with Haxorus, the popular and super strong Dragon with a cute popular first form, Hydreigon, the dark/dragon pseudo-legend, and the box legends. Even his art gets shafted: It was covered up on the guide book cover and CoroCoro just put it in a corner along the bottom with everyone else.
I just felt so sorry for the guy, and at some point I began to really like the design.
And he's got a cool animation.

I agree. Druddigon seems to me to be like the Skarmory of Dragons. By that I mean he is a single stage pokemon and is found later in the game and is near the end of the regional dex. Stat wise he also seems to be pretty solid, a little slow though. He has a cool design as well. Its a shame he gets disregarded in favor of the other two dragons (who are cool as well). He seems like he is a cool pokemon to me and definitely a contender for a spot on the team of a future playthrough of mine.
-;248;

The Oncoming Storm
13th February 2011, 8:08 PM

And people in thesee forum tell me beast is a lame thing to say.

Anyway tepig and its line has grown on me a whole hell of alot. Its now one of my fave pokes. Also I like snivy and servine now. Just not seperior smug bastard.

Poke_Mania97
13th February 2011, 8:12 PM
well i think that Oshawott's line has really grown on me. at first i thought it was a rushed Piplup and that it was stupid. But then when i saw Samurott i was like What The Heck? how does something this stupid finally evolve into this?

I was stunned! Then i got used to Oshawott and i think its so cute. Samurott has to be one of my fav GEN V pokemon. If it could actually slice pokemon with those swords then he is the best!

he sort of reminds me of some kind of Sensai, kinda like Gouken from street fighter!

CaptainBrain
13th February 2011, 8:15 PM
I think that this generation's staraters are the third best set, just after Hoenn and Kanto. Snivy and Oshawott are both really great and their final evolutions look really interesting. I don't care for Tepig much, but I've never been a huge fan of the fire type starter.

Dracoste
13th February 2011, 8:20 PM
I've got a Central Bearded Dragon and Druddigon looks kinda like them, so I actually like it's design. But my favourite dragon this gen is Haxorus, it's not a pseudo-legendary Pokémon, but it's still powerfull. Hydreigon is also a nice dragon pokémon, but I already chosed my Dark type pokémon, so I won't be using him in my Black walkthrough, I'm of course going to train and evolve a Deino so that I get it's pokédex entry.

Sakrey
13th February 2011, 8:21 PM
well i think that Oshawott's line has really grown on me. at first i thought it was a rushed Piplup and that it was stupid. But then when i saw Samurott i was like What The Heck? how does something this stupid finally evolve into this?

Well, he's still kind of stupid :d

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4689/4komadaikenki.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4689/4komadaikenki.jpg)

R_N
13th February 2011, 8:22 PM

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4689/4komadaikenki.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4689/4komadaikenki.jpg)

what's this now?

Lorde
13th February 2011, 8:37 PM

What a cute little comic, though I gotta say: Samurott looks fat there. I've always like Samurott since it evolves from one of my favorite Starter Pokemon, but I wonder if it'll look fat when it is shown fighting in the anime or the manga. That might be funny to see. I can't wait to see it wield its sword in the anime, though. I seriously never would have thought that it would actually wield a sword back when it was first revealed, but after seeing it with a sword on official Pokemon merchandise, I've become a believer.

BW202
13th February 2011, 8:42 PM
Oshawott is now my favorite first form starter after seeing the anime. He is so freakin cute!!! XD Serperior is my favorite overall though.

Why can't March 6th get here quicker!?! This batch of Pokes is definitely at the top of my list. Coming from someone that started with GSC, I have never really grown attached to Gen. 1, they really aren't all that original to me unlike later generations.

tmega90
13th February 2011, 8:49 PM
This regions starters are the best set of starters in my opinion. They are so cool! I like how creative they were with this regions starters.

I love Oshawott! Its line is so awesome! They are my favorite Pokemon.

The Oncoming Storm
13th February 2011, 9:07 PM
Can someone post a pic or a link to one of samurott wielding a sword? Thx.

aggronFTW
13th February 2011, 9:10 PM
I was playing pokemon emerald earlier and I found out this cool thing, in the Devon building in rustboro city on the second floor there are some scientists that talk about developing new things and one scientist says:

"I've been trying to create a machine that visually reproduces the dreams of pokemon"

When did game freak start developing the dream world again?

Endless
13th February 2011, 9:17 PM

Official Art (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0a/Unova_starters_evolution_artwork.png)

BCVM22
13th February 2011, 9:17 PM

Emerald was a 2004 release, so at least a good two or three years after that.

CaptainCombusken
13th February 2011, 9:20 PM
I was playing pokemon emerald earlier and I found out this cool thing, in the Devon building in rustboro city on the second floor there are some scientists that talk about developing new things and one scientist says:

"I've been trying to create a machine that visually reproduces the dreams of pokemon"

Mind=Blown. That's serious, not sarcastic. O.o that is just one of the best things! And on my favourite game in the Pokemon series (after Mystery Dungeon)!

Samurott wielding swords is fantastic. I want a sprite in the next game with that!

UnovaSwampert
13th February 2011, 9:22 PM
This regions starters are the best set of starters in my opinion. They are so cool! I like how creative they were with this regions starters.

I love Oshawott! Its line is so awesome! They are my favorite Pokemon.

I agree. i just can't choose! Now, with R/B, it was easy. Squirtle was just too awesome. G/S: Obviously Cydaquil. R/S: Mudkip. Dur. D/P: Piplup. Who chose Turtwig? Really?

with this, all of them are awesome.

Grei
Sceptile should've been Grass/Dragon but it would've been too much of an advantage.

Does anyone else have a problem with the name Throh? It's so...ugh

If by "ugh" you mean "a direct translation of its Japanese name and not any worse of a name than Nageki was," then I definitely agree.

Note: A name is not any better just because you don't understand what it means.

I agree. Druddigon seems to me to be like the Skarmory of Dragons. By that I mean he is a single stage pokemon and is found later in the game and is near the end of the regional dex. Stat wise he also seems to be pretty solid, a little slow though. He has a cool design as well. Its a shame he gets disregarded in favor of the other two dragons (who are cool as well). He seems like he is a cool pokemon to me and definitely a contender for a spot on the team of a future playthrough of mine.
-;248;

Except... people actually want to, and can, use Skarmory. From what I understand, Druddigon is so slow that anyone that is prepared to take out a Dragon-type can do so without Druddigon doing much damage in the process. Skarmory, on the other hand, is widely-used by metagamers (or was widely-used, at least--I have no clue if it'll be used often in the 5th Gen metagame).

And people in thesee forum tell me beast is a lame thing to say.

It is.

Serebii was using "beast" to literally refer to Haxorus as a Pokemon with monster/"beast"-like qualities. He wasn't using the word "beast" as a synonym for "awesome" or "really cool."

"That's really beast!" =/= "That thing's a beast!"

What a cute little comic, though I gotta say: Samurott looks fat there. I've always like Samurott since it evolves from one of my favorite Starter Pokemon, but I wonder if it'll look fat when it is shown fighting in the anime or the manga. That might be funny to see. I can't wait to see it wield its sword in the anime, though. I seriously never would have thought that it would actually wield a sword back when it was first revealed, but after seeing it with a sword on official Pokemon merchandise, I've become a believer.

It's always possible that Samurott is drawn that way due to the artist's style. I mean, if Serperior was there, Serperior very well could also look fat. It's just that... the only thing there to compare Samurott to is Emboar, who is fat already.

Well, there's the comic posted a few posts above yours.

Or, there's this, the original:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_chu/5213691639/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And this, which shows how the sword and sheath work (though this is one isn't official artwork):
http://gothar-is-rodge.deviantart.com/art/Daikenki-s-Sword-for-Dummies-189311482?q=boost%3Apopular%20Daikenki%20sword&qo=5

Sakrey
what's this now?

It came from a guide book released a week and half ago in Japan. This guide book as a double page of informations for every of the 152 new Pokémon (excluding Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect) + a 4 koma comic strip for each of them.

R_N
13th February 2011, 9:45 PM
It came from a guide book released a week and half ago in Japan. This guide book as a double page of informations for every of the 152 new Pokémon (excluding Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect) + a 4 koma comic strip for each of them.
please say it is all scanned because I must see all of this

also
http://www.pokesho.com/img_trash/101228_5.jpg

Hejiru
13th February 2011, 9:48 PM
I agree. i just can't choose! Now, with R/B, it was easy. Squirtle was just too awesome. G/S: Obviously Cydaquil. R/S: Mudkip. Dur. D/P: Piplup. Who chose Turtwig? Really?

with this, all of them are awesome.

What's wrong with Turtwig? And as I recall, almost everybody chose Torchic in the 3rd Gen.

You can't just say the choice is "duh, obvious." People like different things. Charmander and Bulbasaur have huge legions of fans, as do the other starters.

UnovaSwampert
13th February 2011, 9:50 PM
What's wrong with Turtwig? And as I recall, almost everybody chose Torchic in the 3rd Gen.

You can't just say the choice is "duh, obvious." People like different things. Charmander and Bulbasaur have huge legions of fans, as do the other starters.

But amongst my group of friends, they were the most popular.