PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Maverik
18th February 2011, 1:15 AM
Even more misleading then - they named him after the wrong fish! o.O

Err...no. I'm pretty sure that Ophie said when flounders are born they resemble a generic fish with their eyes on the two sides of their head. I know, I've seen pictures. Flounder in the movie was probably a baby flounder- a small "fry."

EDIT: There are too many ninjas here.

BCVM22
18th February 2011, 1:16 AM
We haven't even had a widespread/wifi Acreus event yet

Arceus was given away in the USA at the tail end of 2009.

SasakiThePikachu
18th February 2011, 1:24 AM
Arceus was given away in the USA at the tail end of 2009.

Perhaps, but in the UK we only had him for a few weekends at limited amounts of GAME stores. I know. I rode the train for hours to get to one.

Ahhh...thought fry was another type of fish. So that's where the expression 'small fry' comes from then...you just keep teaching me things, Ophie!

CaptainBrain
18th February 2011, 1:30 AM
Sasaki, just wanted to thank you for putting the monkey's inspirations in your signature! I was curious as to who the fire monkey was based upon.

I'm so stoked for this generation to begin over here. I can't wait to use Snivy in battle. Ever since the first time I saw it, I knew that he would be my starter.

kaiser soze
18th February 2011, 1:43 AM
wasn't there some sort of japanese poll that asked which event legendary people wanted the post and arceus won?

LexSuicune
18th February 2011, 2:07 AM
wasn't there some sort of japanese poll that asked which event legendary people wanted the post and arceus won?

Yep, Arceus was the winner.

ashgirl92
18th February 2011, 2:48 AM
Translation:
The desire to satiate Pokémon enthusiasts over the 2008-2010 period spurred the developers to make one more entry to the series. They specifically desired to remake something, due to their low risk factor and quick production cycle, and thus they created HeartGold and SoulSilver. This would distract us long enough for them to develop Black and White unbothered. However, I remain unimpressed by these latest projects, based on the images and videos I have viewed thus far.

Thank you! Thank you thank you! lol I was wondering for about 5 hours what in the world the post was talking about. How did you figure that out?? lol

kaiser soze
18th February 2011, 2:52 AM
on a different subject, what's the best grass-type?

GalladeX
18th February 2011, 3:19 AM

Actually, I think it was any Pokemon. I think I remember seeing Pikachu and Eevee on the Top 10...

on a different subject, what's the best grass-type?

Sewaddle, obviously.

CaptainBrain
18th February 2011, 3:28 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread for this...but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Can the Pidove line really not learn Wing Attack? That's gotta be a mistake...right?

Tyrannotaur
18th February 2011, 3:41 AM
I don't know if this is the right thread for this...but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Can the Pidove line really not learn Wing Attack? That's gotta be a mistake...right?

Wow yeah you are right. Looking at its stats it seems the line is like Flareon and Entei in that it's stats don't match the moves it learns. Pidove and its evolutions learns mostly special moves while its attack is its better stat. At least it gets Aerial Ace. Also cool it gets Hypnosis.

-;248;

Night_Walker
18th February 2011, 5:21 AM
Not quite sure if this is the right place to ask but how do you unlock (so to speak) Zorua?

Have read the whole Celebi thing and also the Johto beasts currently being distributed by gift (the first of which I missed out on) but haven't read a clear discription of the requirements to unlock it.

Kreis
18th February 2011, 5:25 AM
Not quite sure if this is the right place to ask but how do you unlock (so to speak) Zorua?

Have read the whole Celebi thing and also the Johto beasts currently being distributed by gift (the first of which I missed out on) but haven't read a clear discription of the requirements to unlock it.

How to get Zorua:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/transfermachine.shtml#zorua

How to get Zoroark:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/transfermachine.shtml#zoroark

vikingsteve
18th February 2011, 5:28 AM
So what's everyone's take on Cryogonal? Really rare Pokemon, but it actually has some nice upside. I was considering using it for some time before I discovered it was tough as balls to find...

yeminied
18th February 2011, 5:31 AM
So what's everyone's take on Cryogonal? Really rare Pokemon, but it actually has some nice upside. I was considering using it for some time before I discovered it was tough as balls to find...

I feel sorry for Cryogonal. They are just poor, misunderstood Pokémon. They excilled due to their scary and unknown face. Because of this they retreated into isolation away from human contact so they no longer scared them and made them mad. They are just too nice for their own good.

Personally I didn't like it at first but when I first heard about it's backstory I felt sorry for them and looked at them in a new light. They aren't that bad of a Pokémon and a welcome addition to the franchise.

Grei
18th February 2011, 5:48 AM
Stat-wise, though, they seem very fragile.

Night_Walker
18th February 2011, 5:52 AM
How to get Zorua:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/transfermachine.shtml#zorua

How to get Zoroark:
http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/transfermachine.shtml#zoroark
Thanks for that, hadn't seen it summed up so succinctly and precisely.

R_N
18th February 2011, 5:53 AM

Only physically. They're pretty well off specially.
And speedy, too.

vikingsteve
18th February 2011, 5:59 AM

Only in the defense department. It can learn Reflect and Recover, as well as some turtling moves. An effective Special tank. Perfect for taking out Dragons.

Only physically. They're pretty well off specially.
And speedy, too.

This.

It's almost as if it was created to kill Dragons. I would use a moveset something like: Reflect, Recover, Confuse Ray, Ice Beam. Suck on that Salamence. Or you could use Hail/Blizzard instead of Ice Beam/Confuse Ray if you are confident you can nuke it down and intend to use PP boosting items on Blizzard.

R_N
18th February 2011, 6:05 AM
Wow yeah you are right. Looking at its stats it seems the line is like Flareon and Entei in that it's stats don't match the moves it learns. Pidove and its evolutions learns mostly special moves while its attack is its better stat. At least it gets Aerial Ace. Also cool it gets Hypnosis.

-;248;

Honestly, it seems more like it's trying to be Defensive despite appearing to be somewhat frail.
Morning Sun, Hypnosis, Taunt, Featherdance, Detect, Facade, Lucky Chant, WISH?!
Big Pecks, too!

Its level up move pool is ridiculous, too. Not because of the lack of physical attacks (it gets SKY ATTACK? But not Brave Bird? Whaaaa), but the levels!. It takes forever to learn moves.

Although, because of Sky Attack I'd still put it ahead of Flareon. Flareon would kill for Flame Wheel, much less Flare Blitz.

Related: IF ONLY IT GOT ACROBATICS. It baffles me to no end why, when the flying type FINALLY gets a really really good move, almost no birds learn it. Lots of bugs, some bats, and such, but very very few birds.

vikingsteve
18th February 2011, 6:08 AM
Mandibuzz is quite the disappointment. Can't even touch Honchkrow. I could understand the lack of attack/special attack if they gave it something to compensate... all they did was give it high HP and above average defense. It's got nothing to hit with. Plus you have to wait until Level 54 to even get it.

R_N
18th February 2011, 6:16 AM
Mandibuzz is quite the disappointment. Can't even touch Honchkrow. I could understand the lack of attack/special attack if they gave it something to compensate... all they did was give it high HP and above average defense. It's got nothing to hit with. Plus you have to wait until Level 54 to even get it.That's the entire point.
It's not an attacker, it's a tank or whatever.
It's supposed to be defensive, and does a nice job at it
Honchkrow was meant to be an attacker (who is slower than Mandibuzz, apparently)

Chimchar15
18th February 2011, 6:38 AM
Honestly, it seems more like it's trying to be Defensive despite appearing to be somewhat frail.
Morning Sun, Hypnosis, Taunt, Featherdance, Detect, Facade, Lucky Chant, WISH?!
Big Pecks, too!

Its level up move pool is ridiculous, too. Not because of the lack of physical attacks (it gets SKY ATTACK? But not Brave Bird? Whaaaa), but the levels!. It takes forever to learn moves.

Although, because of Sky Attack I'd still put it ahead of Flareon. Flareon would kill for Flame Wheel, much less Flare Blitz.

Related: IF ONLY IT GOT ACROBATICS. It baffles me to no end why, when the flying type FINALLY gets a really really good move, almost no birds learn it. Lots of bugs, some bats, and such, but very very few birds.

^This. I was severly disappointed that Unfezant couldn't learn Acrobatics. I then proceeded to see what flying types could and imagine my surprise.

XXD17
18th February 2011, 7:34 AM
Cryogonal is a great pokemon...It took a long time to find but it was definitely a gem (pun intended)...It is very good in terms of special defense and speed...it's special attack isn't too shabby either...you have to watch out for stealth rocks though...It's move pool is pretty limited but it does get haze and acid armor which works pretty well with its speed...I use mine mainly as a hazer as well as a hydreigon killer...

Mandibuzz is quite the disappointment. Can't even touch Honchkrow. I could understand the lack of attack/special attack if they gave it something to compensate... all they did was give it high HP and above average defense. It's got nothing to hit with. Plus you have to wait until Level 54 to even get it.
I wouldn't call it a disappointment considering how crazily annoying it is in the metagame...it is like the new skarmory only it doesn't lay hazards and both of its defenses are boss...actually it's more akin to the older skarmories when there wasn't stealth rocks and skarmory instead used roar and toxic...mandibuzz uses that like a pro...only it's toxic and whirlwind...also along with its dustproof ability as well as roost, this thing barely ever gets hurt...it's a crazy wall....I just would like it to be able to learn sky drop...just imagine there's a sandstorm and your opponents poisoned...mandibuzz takes it up into the sky where it suffers an additional turn of passive damages every turn while mandibuzz is protected by dustproof...

the main pokemon that i have had a hard time using are Golurk and Stunfisk...Golurk looks like it would be able to tank but its defenses are a bit luckluster...even with no guard it can't really shine for me...I use a heavy-bomber, shadow punch, dynamic punch, EQ one...as for stunfisk, it has never worked for me..I use a mixed set...with muddy water, t-bolt, earthquake, and thunder wave....

R_N
18th February 2011, 7:42 AM
Just imagine if it got Magic Guard
I could see Mandibuzz being paired up with some Sky Droppers in doubles & triples for max annoyance

Ophie
18th February 2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you! Thank you thank you! lol I was wondering for about 5 hours what in the world the post was talking about. How did you figure that out?? lol

I hang out on YouTube a lot. Over time, I learned how to decipher some of the scrawl that would be unintelligible to the untrained eye. There is much, much worse on YouTube. Since I know he'll never see it, I direct you to the channel page of MAGICOHATANOFENSHI (http://www.youtube.com/user/MAGICOHATANOFENSHI).

I wouldn't call it a disappointment considering how crazily annoying it is in the metagame...it is like the new skarmory only it doesn't lay hazards and both of its defenses are boss...actually it's more akin to the older skarmories when there wasn't stealth rocks and skarmory instead used roar and toxic...mandibuzz uses that like a pro...only it's toxic and whirlwind...also along with its dustproof ability as well as roost, this thing barely ever gets hurt...it's a crazy wall....I just would like it to be able to learn sky drop...just imagine there's a sandstorm and your opponents poisoned...mandibuzz takes it up into the sky where it suffers an additional turn of passive damages every turn while mandibuzz is protected by dustproof...

the main pokemon that i have had a hard time using are Golurk and Stunfisk...Golurk looks like it would be able to tank but its defenses are a bit luckluster...even with no guard it can't really shine for me...I use a heavy-bomber, shadow punch, dynamic punch, EQ one...as for stunfisk, it has never worked for me..I use a mixed set...with muddy water, t-bolt, earthquake, and thunder wave....

I'd say. I saw one take an Outrage from a Haxorus and only lose about 45% of her health, which she proceeded to just recover with Roost each time. So the end result was no actual progress done to Mandibuzz and Haxorus now being Confused (which is disastrous to Haxorus).

I explained how Stunfisk can be useful in triple battles and rotation battles earlier. Golurk is another Pokémon I've taken an interest in. That, I'm still looking into how to get as much mileage as I can out of it. I don't know too much about it, but I think it's the same situation, this time taking advantage of Golurk's immunity to Normal, Fighting, and Electric attacks and sending Golurk in if you feel your opponent is going to use a move from one of those three types. It's really risky though, so I'd imagine there's something about Golurk I haven't yet seen.

Mr.Munchlax
18th February 2011, 2:31 PM
This is something I just thought of, has anyone ever used Watchog for their main team at least up until first adventure?

SasakiThePikachu
18th February 2011, 4:24 PM
I'd say. I saw one take an Outrage from a Haxorus and only lose about 45% of her health, which she proceeded to just recover with Roost each time. So the end result was no actual progress done to Mandibuzz and Haxorus now being Confused (which is disastrous to Haxorus).

I had Mandibuzz planned for my team but knocked her for Archeops once I saw that her movepool was a little limited/poor.

I might just reconsider now. I love big attackers, but I also love me some bulky pokes *grins*

The Eleventh
18th February 2011, 6:04 PM
I hang out on YouTube a lot. Over time, I learned how to decipher some of the scrawl that would be unintelligible to the untrained eye. There is much, much worse on YouTube. Since I know he'll never see it, I direct you to the channel page of MAGICOHATANOFENSHI (http://www.youtube.com/user/MAGICOHATANOFENSHI).

Oh. My. God. I died a little inside.

HEY BIGGIE GALLEY//////WHATZ UP??????What iz u r makaing?Wall subzcribe up make pagiez I do pozzass biggie visitz clazzy end juztly pazz up clearin` phingz I wantet trying tall up u I pazt up to turn 24 year old biggey parzon wiphin no wayz inzide motive I pazzed to turn 21 year eld biggey parzon

Any phings 2 tell 4 u I NOT PAZZED TO TURN 24 ANYONE AND YAZ 22 AND YAT COUNTING NOVAMBAS 11`S DAIES EITHAR

XXD17
18th February 2011, 6:09 PM
I had Mandibuzz planned for my team but knocked her for Archeops once I saw that her movepool was a little limited/poor.

I might just reconsider now. I love big attackers, but I also love me some bulky pokes *grins*

Hey the same thing happened with me only for unfezant...after I got my archen, I ditched my unfezant right away...mainly because 1) Archeops resembles a dragon 2) its super fast and a super hard hitter...I use it as my flyer...

This is something I just thought of, has anyone ever used Watchog for their main team at least up until first adventure?
Watchog has an HM slave seems to be outclassed by Stoutland. Sure it's fast and actually has a great movepool but Stoutland has major bulk and hit like a pile of bricks...That's probably way most people won't go for patrat over lillipup...I know I sure didn't.

vikingsteve
18th February 2011, 6:18 PM
Cryogonal is a great pokemon...It took a long time to find but it was definitely a gem (pun intended)...It is very good in terms of special defense and speed...it's special attack isn't too shabby either...you have to watch out for stealth rocks though...It's move pool is pretty limited but it does get haze and acid armor which works pretty well with its speed...I use mine mainly as a hazer as well as a hydreigon killer...

Dang, I didn't know Mandibuzz could be so useful. It's just that tanks usually don't have that kind of speed, because it doesn't really do much for a tank, since... well, they're tanking.

Porygandrew
18th February 2011, 6:20 PM
That's probably way most people won't go for patrat over lillipup...I know I sure didn't.

Considering Thief no longer permanently steals another pokemon's held item during trainer battles and Pickup now copies berries when the foe uses one, I'm all for training a Pickup Lillipup over Patrat.

vikingsteve
18th February 2011, 6:52 PM
I just discovered the incredible versatility of Ferrothorn.

I made a 6 Ferrothorn team in the "what is/will be your team?" thread. You can have it be a sweeper, a tank, a leech, a de-buffer, a ninja... it almost fits into any role except special sweeper

LexSuicune
18th February 2011, 7:25 PM
Ferrothorn and Sawsbuck are definitely on my watch list for a grass type for my team. They're phenomenal, specially the first.

Lorde
18th February 2011, 7:41 PM

I don't know much about it, other than the fact that it's an Ice-type Pokemon that can learn Attract despite not having a gender. I've heard that it's really rare in these games, but I found one just the other day as I was running around "Twist Mountain". I guess I was just very lucky.

I did, in my Japanese Black version. I hate the species, but I needed something for my team and Watchog was the strongest spare Pokemon I had, since it had been left at the Day-Care Center. I used it for a while, but then deposited it into the PC once I was able to transfer Pokemon from the old games into these new games.

The Eleventh
18th February 2011, 7:59 PM

I will be once March 4th comes! I love Watchog. I don't know what it is about it. . . *Drools while looking into Watchog's eyes*

R_N
18th February 2011, 8:22 PM
I'll probably use Watchog for a while. He's a neat Pokemon overall, but there's soooo many great Pokemon, you know?

Mr.Munchlax
18th February 2011, 10:54 PM
But has anyone used Watchog when battling the Elite 4, or N, or Cynthia, or anything like that?

Tyrannotaur
18th February 2011, 11:47 PM
I will be once March 4th comes! I love Watchog. I don't know what it is about it. . . *Drools while looking into Watchog's eyes*

All Hail the Hypnorat....

Watchog will be on my team probably until I can find some of the pokemon I wanted to use. Raticate, Furret, Linoone, and Bibarel fell into that role as well.
-;248;

kaiser soze
19th February 2011, 12:17 AM
how do you feel about Iwaparesu (the rock crab)? I like his typing, good offensive STAB. And can take a hit. I would give it a quick claw and sped ev train it a little for the speed

rocky505
19th February 2011, 12:26 AM
how do you feel about Iwaparesu (the rock crab)? I like his typing, good offensive STAB. And can take a hit. I would give it a quick claw and sped ev train it a little for the speed He is pretty good since he learns one of the best stat boosting moves ever.

tmega90
19th February 2011, 4:21 AM
I like Watchog. It is a cool Pokemon to me. Maybe I will use one sometime.

Shneak
19th February 2011, 4:25 AM
Is Watchog a good HM slave?

FireEmblemAddict
19th February 2011, 4:30 AM
Is Watchog a good HM slave?
Yeah, but only for Cut and Strength obviously

Shneak
19th February 2011, 4:36 AM
It's no Bibarel then.

Blazios
19th February 2011, 4:42 AM
It's no Bibarel then.

Cut and Strength are basically the only two you'll be using until the end credits (Aside from Fly and possibly Surf). Bibarel was so good because it's also a Water type.

Cobalt_Latios
19th February 2011, 4:43 AM
how do you feel about Iwaparesu (the rock crab)? I like his typing, good offensive STAB. And can take a hit. I would give it a quick claw and sped ev train it a little for the speed
Crustle? (I'm attempting to memorize all the English names, practicing is the best way to do so) I haven't really considered it for a team, but the simple fact that this thing can use "Shell Break" really gives it some nice diversity. Once you do that, Speed doesn't really become much of an issue for it, and with STAB moved like X-Scissor and Stone Edge, yeah, this thing can be quite a threat.

It's no Bibarel then.
Given how you barely need HMs this time around, it's not much of a worry. In fact, Herdier/Stoutland are much better alternatives than Watchog.

But yes, Bibarel is still pretty much the HM slave around.

/CL

SteelBlade14
19th February 2011, 4:52 AM
This place is fun

Chill92
19th February 2011, 5:10 AM
Unfezant, such an unpleasant movepool. You would think it would learn Brave bird or at least Drill peck to match it's stats. Another Flareon ... and this was the first regional bird that I really like (male version). I hope Pokemon Grey will fix it's movepool

SteelBlade14_Spriter
19th February 2011, 5:23 AM
Hey Everyone! I'm Steel And Im New

BCVM22
Hey Everyone! I'm Steel And Im New

http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

CaptainBrain
I was excited to use Unfezant until I saw his movepool. It's so tragic. Maybe it'll get some renovations eventually. I'd hate for it to be like Pidgeot. Staraptor is the best regional bird, but I love Unfezant's look. I guess that I'll be using Archeops.

R_N
19th February 2011, 5:29 AM
Unfezant, such an unpleasant movepool. You would think it would learn Brave bird or at least Drill peck to match it's stats. Another Flareon ... and this was the first regional bird that I really like (male version). I hope Pokemon Grey will fix it's movepool

You know what I want even more than an art book?
Interviews with the team(s) that decide on movepools.
Because everything about Unfezant screams "defense/assist" but it was given a high(well...) attack & speed and pitiful defenses.

Snipehsheep
19th February 2011, 12:12 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that the shiny forms for Reshiram/Zekrom isn't a color reversal?

IE: Black Reshiram, White Zekrom

Zhanton
19th February 2011, 12:30 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that the shiny forms for Reshiram/Zekrom isn't a color reversal?

Nope. Not at all. I don't care much for shiny Pokemon, anyway :P

GaZsTiC
19th February 2011, 12:32 PM

A little bit. But I felt the same when I didn't get a Diamond Palkia and Pearl Dialga.

EvolutionMaster000
19th February 2011, 12:38 PM
i think some of the pokemon this genration are good but some are very disappointing

Sakrey
19th February 2011, 12:43 PM

Shiny Zekrom has blue eyes and shiny Reshiram has red eyes. Exchanged eye colors, aren't you the happy one, now ?

Snipehsheep
19th February 2011, 1:14 PM
Shiny Zekrom has blue eyes and shiny Reshiram has red eyes. Exchanged eye colors, aren't you the happy one, now ?

Thanks for pointing that out. Still pretty minor, though. I'm just glad people are awake at this time.I got a soar throat and can't sleep.

Anyway, I love Foongus Amoongus. The name is so terrible it's great.

Rose Storm
19th February 2011, 2:55 PM
I'm sad we can't get shiny Reshiram; the colours look awesome. My favourite shiny this Generation is probably Chandelure, though.

ForeverFlame
19th February 2011, 3:48 PM
You can get shiny Reshiram if you completely fill your PC boxes before you battle Reshiram in N's Castle. You won't be prompted to capture it, and you can capture it later on (with the ability to be shiny) at Dragonspiral Tower.

Grei
19th February 2011, 4:13 PM
You can get shiny Reshiram if you completely fill your PC boxes before you battle Reshiram in N's Castle. You won't be prompted to capture it, and you can capture it later on (with the ability to be shiny) at Dragonspiral Tower.

I'm fairly certain this was an error in the guidebook. I don't know of anyone who has captured a shiny Reshi or Zek through this method.

The Eleventh
19th February 2011, 4:43 PM

That would've been so cool! Now I'm disappointed. :P

SasakiThePikachu
19th February 2011, 5:02 PM
I was excited to use Unfezant until I saw his movepool. It's so tragic. Maybe it'll get some renovations eventually. I'd hate for it to be like Pidgeot. Staraptor is the best regional bird, but I love Unfezant's look. I guess that I'll be using Archeops.

Tragic is an understatement ^^;

Staraptor is indeed the best regional bird, but I think Wargle gets second place (it's White's regional bird...sort of). Any birds with that high an attack that can learn Close Combat are OK by me.

GalladeX
19th February 2011, 5:15 PM
how do you feel about Iwaparesu (the rock crab)? I like his typing, good offensive STAB. And can take a hit.

I love Crustle~
Such a hilarious exaggeration of a hermit crab for a design, and he's got a great movepool to choose from (unlike Unfezant ;-;).

Seriously, what's with Unfezant? Iirc, the only non Normal or Flying move that does Physical damage is U-Turn...

Mario with Lasers
19th February 2011, 5:58 PM
You know what I want even more than an art book?
Interviews with the team(s) that decide on movepools.
Because everything about Unfezant screams "defense/assist" but it was given a high(well...) attack & speed and pitiful defenses.

I still want to grab by the balls whoever was held responsible for Gothitelle's, Klinklank's, and specially Golurk's movepools. Ugh.

unless it's the same guys responsible for Zoroark's and Reuniclus's, as they made a really good job balancing them out

Rose Storm
19th February 2011, 6:20 PM
Escavalier's movepool never fails to drive me nuts either. And even though Lilligant is beast already, some coverage next to Hidden Power would be nice. Earth Power + Hidden Power Fire/Ice, maybe? Reminds me of how much I wish Glaceon got Earth Power...

Aurath8
19th February 2011, 6:38 PM
Escavalier's movepool never fails to drive me nuts either. And even though Lilligant is beast already, some coverage next to Hidden Power would be nice. Earth Power + Hidden Power Fire/Ice, maybe? Reminds me of how much I wish Glaceon got Earth Power...

Glaceon getting Earth Power? Typhlosion, the volcano pokemon, would be seriously miffed.
Anyway if anything got a limited movepool this gen(not called unfezant) it was Kliklang. It has decent attack but nothing to use it with except Gear Saucer and Return. It has some special Electric moves, Flash Cannon and Hidden Power but an average special attack as well.

bugcatchersdream
19th February 2011, 9:46 PM
Just wondering, is anyone going to use Bisharp at all? It actually works with Psycho Cut or Aerial Ace...

MagnetonNr1
19th February 2011, 9:53 PM
Just wondering, is anyone going to use Bisharp at all? It actually works with Psycho Cut or Aerial Ace...

Originally I was going to use Bisharp, but it's only found so late in the game. I actually have my full team by that time, and I don't want to end up planning around for hours, like I always do.

R_N
19th February 2011, 9:58 PM
I still want to grab by the balls whoever was held responsible for Gothitelle's, Klinklank's, and specially Golurk's movepools. Ugh.

unless it's the same guys responsible for Zoroark's and Reuniclus's, as they made a really good job balancing them out

A lot of gen 5 Pokemon seem to have oddly shallow move pools, don't they?
I really hope 3rd game, remakes, and maybe a console game go a nice ways to flesh some of them out.

Victoria
19th February 2011, 10:09 PM
Slowbro with regenerate thingy ftw. But yeah most pokes didnt get that much of a boost :c

Grei
19th February 2011, 10:11 PM
I really hope 3rd game, remakes, and maybe a console game go a nice ways to flesh some of them out.

I'm running into this problem a lot, too. A lot of Pokemon have small movepools, or large movepools that don't contribute much of anything at all. Lilligant is an example of the former, and Swanna is an example of the latter.

I find that so weird, and very frustrating.

I also noticed Victoria's point, too. Beyond a small core of Pokemon that benefited from the 5th Gen, there are a lot of Pokemon that are largely untouched/unimproved from the 4th Gen. Torterra, for instance, is exactly the same, except with Grass Oath, Level Ground, Wide Guard, and Round. Grass Oath and Level Ground are useless on physical-based Torterra, who can learn physical Grass-type moves and Earthquake. Wide Guard and Round are useful, but are both only viable in Double/Triple Battles.

EvolutionMaster000
19th February 2011, 10:48 PM
Is it possible to get a shiny victini

Missingno.Fan
19th February 2011, 10:56 PM
Is it possible to get a shiny victini
From the Liberty Island event? No.

Alli
19th February 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm running into this problem a lot, too. A lot of Pokemon have small movepools, or large movepools that don't contribute much of anything at all. Lilligant is an example of the former, and Swanna is an example of the latter.

I find that so weird, and very frustrating.

I also noticed Victoria's point, too. Beyond a small core of Pokemon that benefited from the 5th Gen, there are a lot of Pokemon that are largely untouched/unimproved from the 4th Gen. Torterra, for instance, is exactly the same, except with Grass Oath, Level Ground, Wide Guard, and Round. Grass Oath and Level Ground are useless on physical-based Torterra, who can learn physical Grass-type moves and Earthquake. Wide Guard and Round are useful, but are both only viable in Double/Triple Battles.

I think many 5th Gen Pokémon have smaller movepools, especially in regards to TMs because of the new TM system which allows infinite use.

I have noticed Pokémon whose counterparts in other generations have learned certain TMs like Earthquake and Flamethrower, not getting them now.

EvolutionMaster000
19th February 2011, 11:37 PM
From the Liberty Island event? No.

really, then why would the designers have a shiny sprite for it. in my opinion victini would have been awesome with its shiny form as its non-shiny form

EDIT: would it be possible to get a shiny victini from the 14th movie giveaway

Lorde
19th February 2011, 11:40 PM
really, then why would the designers have a shiny sprite for it. in my opinion victini would have been awesome with its shiny form as its non-shiny form

EDIT: would it be possible to get a shiny victini from the 14th movie giveaway

They probably added a Shiny sprite for Victini to prevent the game from crashing during certain scenarios. And you wouldn't be able to get a Shiny Victini from the movie event unless it were set to be Shiny beforehand. I highly doubt that that'll be the case, so I don't see a Shiny Victini in the near future.

SasakiThePikachu
20th February 2011, 12:15 AM

But even if in the third game they added a bunch of move tutors (like Platinum did for the DP gen) would that increase a pokemon's movepools? It seems to me that once a pokemon can't learn a certain move in that generation it just can't learn that move at all until the next gen...or am I wrong? I wasn't around here for Platinum's release so forgive my ignorance, but did attacks actually get added to the movepools for the 4th gen's 3rd game?? I so hope that's the case. I'm just wondering theoretically if a a move isn't in a pokemon's movepool for B & W, but they can learn it on Gray, unless the data is already there somewhere for them to learn it on the first two games, wouldn't trading it back to those games then cause it to crash?

Urk. My brain just died.

BCVM22
20th February 2011, 12:24 AM
As the game's code goes, any Pokémon is technically capable of learning any attack; that's the bread and butter of many hackers, as it goes. For obvious reasons, the game simply imposes restrictions for what Pokémon are able to learn what moves, via the obvious: level-up sets, TMs, tutors and egg moves.

With that being the case, it is common that third games and remakes will have in them move tutors or even slightly different level-up movepools for certain Pokémon, enabling them to learn moves that they couldn't in the initial pair of games.

To pick a critter at random, here is Squirtle's Generation IV entry on the main site:

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/007.shtml

You can see it has two different level-up sets, one for D/P, one for Pt/HG/SS. Such is the case for a lot of the Pokémon not found in D/P, like the Kanto starters. And even for Pokémon that were central in the initial pair of games (like, say, Dialga (http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/483.shtml)), you can see that it has a slightly varied learnset in HG/SS and that it gains several attacks from the Pt/HG/SS move tutors.

Grei
20th February 2011, 12:29 AM
But even if in the third game they added a bunch of move tutors (like Platinum did for the DP gen) would that increase a pokemon's movepools? It seems to me that once a pokemon can't learn a certain move in that generation it just can't learn that move at all until the next gen...or am I wrong? I wasn't around here for Platinum's release so forgive my ignorance, but did attacks actually get added to the movepools for the 4th gen's 3rd game?? I so hope that's the case. I'm just wondering theoretically if a a move isn't in a pokemon's movepool for B & W, but they can learn it on Gray, unless the data is already there somewhere for them to learn it on the first two games, wouldn't trading it back to those games then cause it to crash?

Urk. My brain just died.

I think they've changed learnsets in mid-Generation before. I know that the levels at which Pokemon like Giratina learn moves changed between Diamond and Pearl and Platinum/HGSS (or something like that). If a Pokemon was traded to a different game, it would just take on the learnset of that game.

But if Tepig was able to learn Burst Flame in Grey, it wouldn't affect Black and White at all if it was traded there. If it learned Burst Flame, it would just have that move in its moveset, and there would be no problems (this is how event Pokemon are able to have moves they cannot normally learn--like V Generate Victini--and how, say, a hacked Gliscor could know Fly with no issues). If Tepig hadn't learned Burst Flame or had already forgotten it in Grey, and then was traded to Black or White, it would be as if Tepig never could learn the move in the first place.

tl;dr, having the learnsets of each individual Pokemon vary between games within a Generation does not cause any issues whatsoever.

EDIT: Beaten.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 12:57 AM
They probably added a Shiny sprite for Victini to prevent the game from crashing during certain scenarios. And you wouldn't be able to get a Shiny Victini from the movie event unless it were set to be Shiny beforehand. I highly doubt that that'll be the case, so I don't see a Shiny Victini in the near future.

what a shame. shiny victini is great.the white contrasts nicely with the redish orange v shaped crown on its head

Maverik
20th February 2011, 12:57 AM
what a shame. shiny victini is great.the white contrasts nicely with the redish orange v shaped crown on its head

But then it doesn't look like an apple

SasakiThePikachu
20th February 2011, 1:12 AM
Ah. Coolio.

In that case, there's hope for my Gothitelle yet. *pets her* Seriously though, that is the best news ever! I thought they might've added to movepools in Pt, but I couldn't quite remember...

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 1:51 AM
But then it doesn't look like an apple

thats true.

does anyone else think some of the pokemon are very creative this generation around

Grei
20th February 2011, 2:00 AM
I'm holding out moreso for Move Tutors. Those are more likely to contribute to a Pokemon's movesets than any learnset changes, which often aren't quite so big (only adding/taking away a move or two, or simply rearranging the levels at which the moves are learned).

I'm also hoping that, with Grey, Pokemon like Rufflet and Golett gain new locations so that one can catch them earlier. Having to wait until the 8th Gym to get Rufflet sucks. I could see Rufflet and Braviary keeping their locations from White, but gaining a new location on an earlier route in Grey.

F.T
20th February 2011, 2:33 AM
Looking forward to this now. Hopefully I haven't thrown out my copy of Diamond, so I can transfer some pokemon across once I've beaten the main game! I had a sweet collection, but got bored...

locomo
20th February 2011, 2:40 AM
im really surprised on the high levels it takes for pokemon to evolve in this game....

BCVM22
20th February 2011, 2:48 AM
I believe that's balanced out by the fact that so many of the Pokémon are already at a fairly high level, as in-quest wild Pokémon go, when you first have the chance to catch them.

Snipehsheep
20th February 2011, 2:53 AM
does anyone else think some of the pokemon are very creative this generation around

Aye, I love some of them.

Klinklang, for instance. I like how it's a machine that gets a new part each evolution.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 3:13 AM
Aye, I love some of them.

Klinklang, for instance. I like how it's a machine that gets a new part each evolution.

i think that too. plus it looks cool.
i absolutely love Haxorus's design. It looks totally bad***. The same goes for Samurott

CaptainBrain
20th February 2011, 3:32 AM
I'd say that overall this generation's Pokemon are stronger than the previous generation. A lot of the Pokemon this go around are creatively designed, like Serperior and Reuniclus.

*reuniclus

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out the spellings of all of these new Pokemon. I'm a little out of touch.

Maverik
20th February 2011, 3:35 AM
*reuniclus

Snipehsheep
20th February 2011, 3:45 AM
I just found out that Braviary doesn't learn Close Combat at all. I'm disappointed :(

Atleast make it an egg move from Staraptor or something...

Maverik
20th February 2011, 3:52 AM
It can learn superpower, good enough right?

LexSuicune
20th February 2011, 4:47 AM
I wish they would've at least made Unfezant a special sweeper.

But nope, it's basically worthless.

R_N
20th February 2011, 4:48 AM
I'd say that overall this generation's Pokemon are stronger than the previous generation. A lot of the Pokemon this go around are creatively designed, like Serperior and Reuniclus.

Gen 5 does actually, by averages, have the highest Attack. Then Gen 4, then Gen 3, Gen 1, and finally Gen 2.
Highest HP average, too. (Gen 2, Gen 4, Gen 1, Gen 3)

Crimson_Blazer
20th February 2011, 4:56 AM
I don't get klink's evos. Do they have faces?

DestroyerOfWorlds
20th February 2011, 4:59 AM
Yes, Klink's evos have multiple faces. They aren't that hard to see...

Also, I feel like these games are going to be annoying in that I'm getting Hydreigon, Volcarna, and Braviary before going after the E4. At least I might be able to get Celebi on my way home soon...

BCVM22
20th February 2011, 4:59 AM
Both evolutions maintain the gear with the face on it.

vikingsteve
20th February 2011, 5:14 AM
I think many 5th Gen Pokémon have smaller movepools, especially in regards to TMs because of the new TM system which allows infinite use.

I have noticed Pokémon whose counterparts in other generations have learned certain TMs like Earthquake and Flamethrower, not getting them now.

/jawdrops

infinite TMs!?!?

Damn... 6 Earthquakes on one team? 6 Toxics on one team? good god...

Shneak
20th February 2011, 5:21 AM
/jawdrops

infinite TMs!?!?

Damn... 6 Earthquakes on one team? 6 Toxics on one team? good god...

Where have you been?

Earthquake probably isn't available pre-E4 anyway, same with many good attacks.

MetalFlygon08
20th February 2011, 5:26 AM
Earthquake is available right after the Plasma events at Relic Castle no?

Or do you have to wait until even later?

Zhanton
20th February 2011, 5:31 AM

I believe so, you need to re-visit the Ancient Castle after beating the E4 when you can go to where you find Volcarona, and then go past where you find Volcarona. I believe.

edit; Rank up!

Shneak
20th February 2011, 5:32 AM

I don't know, I'm just assuming.

BW202
20th February 2011, 5:37 AM

You betcha, B2F to be exact :D. (Well that's what bulbapedia says) I agree that the infinite TMs led to the more limited movepools this time around

Skoy
20th February 2011, 5:42 AM
Wow, I didn't like the 5th gen before, but now they seem normal to me. Kinda weird for me to change so quickly. Hey MetalFlygon08 how did you get the Emboar as your Avatar sorry i'm being a noob.

BW202
20th February 2011, 5:52 AM
Wow, I didn't like the 5th gen before, but now they seem normal to me. Kinda weird for me to change so quickly. Hey MetalFlygon08 how did you get the Emboar as your Avatar sorry i'm being a noob.

I'm still confused as to why people think they're weird in the first place. I mean there are some designs that are pretty iffy to me, but they really aren't that much different from past generations are they. Personally, this is my favorite gen.

hever
20th February 2011, 5:52 AM

Same here. In order to change your avatar to Emboar (or some other BW pokemon) you need to choose "Sugimori" when choosing your avatars.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 5:58 AM
whats the best 5th generation pokemon to use competively

hever
20th February 2011, 6:04 AM

I don't think that question will generate a justice answer seeing as the majority of people here do not or have not gotten their hands on the games yet...

Zhanton
20th February 2011, 6:09 AM
I don't think that question will generate a justice answer seeing as the majority of people here do not or have not gotten their hands on the games yet...

It can't actually have an answer as there are so many determinants of 'best Pokemon to use competitively'.
There are Physical and Special Sweepers, Walls, Tanks, Clerics, et cetera, et cetera. So many different roles, no one Pokemon which is the best.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 6:12 AM

do u know when the games come out in Australia.

Zhanton
20th February 2011, 6:18 AM

First of all, this is not a help thread.
Second of all, look at the main site before asking questions, because the main site will have the answer 99% of the time.
Thirdly, it comes out in Australia on the 10th of March. :D

hever
20th February 2011, 6:19 AM
It can't actually have an answer as there are so many determinants of 'best Pokemon to use competitively'.
There are Physical and Special Sweepers, Walls, Tanks, Clerics, et cetera, et cetera. So many different roles, no one Pokemon which is the best.
Mmm. Thus, the reason of my "justice answer" statement. It's based on stats but the big portion of it relies on opinion.

March 10, 2011

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 6:34 AM
March 10, 2011

Cool, Thanks. That means i have about 3 weeks to work out a good team and get the wifi events. BTW my wireless router wont let me connect to the wifi.ANyone have any suggestions on whats wrong with it

hever
20th February 2011, 6:39 AM
Cool, Thanks. That means i have about 3 weeks to work out a good team and get the wifi events. BTW my wireless router wont let me connect to the wifi.ANyone have any suggestions on whats wrong with it

Do you have a security password on your router? That might be the (possible) reason for it not to work.

If you want further answers, post your question in the Help Section in this forum. I bet you will find your answer there. If all fails, google is there for your everyday predicaments. C:

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 6:57 AM
Do you have a security password on your router? That might be the (possible) reason for it not to work.

If you want further answers, post your question in the Help Section in this forum. I bet you will find your answer there. If all fails, google is there for your everyday predicaments. C:

Thanks. I'll do that. I was hoping to download one of the shiny legendary beasts for a Zoroark (i was hoping for all of them) but nothing worked.

Who else thinks that Krookodile's nose looks dirty

hever
20th February 2011, 7:00 AM
Thanks. I'll do that. I was hoping to download one of the shiny legendary beasts for a Zoroark (i was hoping for all of them) but nothing worked.

No problem. Remember that you need ( I think, I might be wrong) all of the three shiny legendaries to obtain Zoroark. Did you get Raikou last week?

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 7:03 AM
No problem. Remember that you need ( I think, I might be wrong) all of the three shiny legendaries to obtain Zoroark. Did you get Raikou last week?

no i didn't. i am extremely annoyed at that as it had the best moves out of the three. im hoping there will be another event after the games are realesed.
Zoroark is an epic pokemon. has anyone managed to get one yet

Kreis
20th February 2011, 7:04 AM

You only need one of the three legendary beasts to unlock Zoroark.

hever
20th February 2011, 7:06 AM
You only need one of the three legendary beasts to unlock Zoroark.

Ah! Thank you. C:

no i didn't. i am extremely annoyed at that as it had the best moves out of the three. im hoping there will be another event after the games are realesed.

It seems like you only need one. Oops. :) But yes, I got Raikou and its currently rotting in the PC right now.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 7:19 AM
oh cool. my last hope is suicune or if celebi is released in Australia and i get Zorua. has there been an announcent on celebi being released in australia yet

hever
20th February 2011, 7:22 AM
oh cool. my last hope is suicune or if celebi is released in Australia and i get Zorua. has there been an announcent on celebi being released in australia yet

The answer might lie in here:
http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

But as far as I browsed through the site for answer, I did not find anything about a celebi event in Australia.

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 7:25 AM
thanks as far as i know there is no upcoming event but only time will tell. what starter has the best moveset

Cobalt_Latios
20th February 2011, 7:32 AM
i think that too. plus it looks cool.
i absolutely love Haxorus's design. It looks totally bad***. The same goes for Samurott
There's a lot of designs I really like as well. From the high royalty grass snake Serperior, to a the fire anteater Heatmor, to the electric lamprey Elektross, our awesome 3 headed hydra Hydreigon, and a baggy pants desert lizard Scrafty, there's something for everyone!

You betcha, B2F to be exact :D. (Well that's what bulbapedia says) I agree that the infinite TMs led to the more limited movepools this time around
Well, with infinite TMs they had to find some way to balance movesets.

That's all subjective really. Depends entirely on what you're going to use it for against someone.

/CL

EvolutionMaster000
20th February 2011, 7:36 AM
There's a lot of designs I really like as well. From the high royalty grass snake Serperior, to a the fire anteater Heatmor, to the electric lamprey Elektross, our awesome 3 headed hydra Hydreigon, and a baggy pants desert lizard Scrafty, there's something for everyone!/CL

yes those are some good pokemon but some such as the genies sucked so much because of their similar designs.

Skoy
20th February 2011, 7:37 AM
Will there be a celebi event in Australia?

hever
20th February 2011, 7:44 AM

Time will tell.

The Eleventh
20th February 2011, 11:45 AM

You'll have to wait to find out, but don't get your hopes up. Even if there is an event, it'll probably be held in a few, stupid locations, just like the UK event. Wi-Fi events save everybody a lot of trouble.

kaiser soze
20th February 2011, 2:38 PM
don't forget you can just get someone to breed you a zoura if you can't get the event

SasakiThePikachu
20th February 2011, 2:40 PM
yes those are some good pokemon but some such as the genies sucked so much because of their similar designs.

I think that's meant to be their 'thing' though isn't it, that they all 3 look almost identical?

But if it makes you feel better, yeah, I don't like em either ^^ (their designs, I mean, I have no issue with the pokemon themselves)

I loved most of the designs for this gen. That the starters were so obviously based on animals this time was lovely - snake, pig and otter. Yaycakes! Treeko, Mudkip and Chikorita took me a long while on google trying to find out what the heck kind of animal they were inspired by...

Ausgirl
20th February 2011, 3:35 PM
I think that with the excitement of B/W release I'm finally starting to like the new pokemon.

Grei
20th February 2011, 5:42 PM

I would argue that Entei benefits from having Flare Blitz moreso than Raikou benefits from any of its event-only moves, but that's just me.

Rose Storm
20th February 2011, 6:50 PM
Raikou did get pretty nice coverage though, considering Aura Sphere + Shadow Ball. Don't know if it's worth the loss of a +Speed nature though...

R_N
21st February 2011, 4:00 AM
Say, does anyone know the full etymology of Dwebble's name?

I see "pebble" and but the Dwe is living me stumped

BCVM22
21st February 2011, 4:00 AM
Dwelling + pebble, 'cuz the bugger lives inside its little stone shell.

Chimchar15
21st February 2011, 4:04 AM
^What he said. Don't worry sonwyarticuno it took me a while to realize that the name Marshal came from Martial Arts.

R_N
21st February 2011, 4:07 AM
Dwelling + pebble, 'cuz the bugger lives inside its little stone shell.

Neat

Though I will probably continue to mispronounce the thing has Dweeble(S DWOBBLE BUT THEY DON'T FALL DOWN)

hever
21st February 2011, 4:39 AM
I loved most of the designs for this gen. That the starters were so obviously based on animals this time was lovely - snake, pig and otter. Yaycakes! Treeko, Mudkip and Chikorita took me a long while on google trying to find out what the heck kind of animal they were inspired by...

True, the only thing I will rant about is the same typing for the fire type starter for three generations now. :(

Master of Fossils
21st February 2011, 4:58 AM

What was so not animal about the last gen? A turtle, monkey and a penguin. Also I'm sorry but if you couldn't get Gecko out of Treecko then I am dissapointed. Muddskippers are less well known so I'll forgive you there and I'll give you chickorita but I don't think these starters are any better than previous starters on the terms of being "obviously based of animals".

Although I do agree with you that I am loving the designs for this gen. I even the much hated ice cream cone and he's defenetly going to be on my team.

BW202
21st February 2011, 5:41 AM
What was so not animal about the last gen? A turtle, monkey and a penguin. Also I'm sorry but if you couldn't get Gecko out of Treecko then I am dissapointed. Muddskippers are less well known so I'll forgive you there and I'll give you chickorita but I don't think these starters are any better than previous starters on the terms of being "obviously based of animals".

Although I do agree with you that I am loving the designs for this gen. I even the much hated ice cream cone and he's defenetly going to be on my team.

How can people not love them?!? They're just so happy to be alive! I mean really, look at Vanilish and try not to smile XD.

R_N
21st February 2011, 6:11 AM

Wait a minute, yeah, how could you not tell what the gen 4 starters were.
Like, it was probably the most obvious set of starters we've ever gotten.

Porygandrew
21st February 2011, 7:02 AM
How can people not love them?!? They're just so happy to be alive! I mean really, look at Vanilish and try not to smile XD.

Every time I look at Vanilish I die a little inside. It makes me want to train a chimchar.

BCVM22
21st February 2011, 7:06 AM
Ice cream makes you die inside? That's more un-American than skipping over the commercials, ya Commie.

R_N
21st February 2011, 8:05 AM
Every time I look at Vanilish I die a little inside. It makes me want to train a chimchar.

What is wrong with Vanillish

BW202
21st February 2011, 8:20 AM
What is wrong with Vanillish

Nothing.

Although...http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/569.png <-- This thing is a different story o_O. Why did cute Trubbish have to explode? XD

R_N
21st February 2011, 8:29 AM
Nothing.

Although...http://floatzel.net/pokemon/black-white/sprites/images/569.png <-- This thing is a different story o_O. Why did cute Trubbish have to explode? XD

I don't like Garbodor because he physically makes me ill. Trubbish already kind of rides that boundary, but garbage like this makes me sick. Which is a shame, because the Pokemon itself is neat and I love the idea (and the cry is cool too) but belehlasda;ljha

BCVM22
21st February 2011, 8:38 AM
Just avoid touching it and you'll be just fine.

Chibi_Muffin
21st February 2011, 8:39 AM
I love Vanillite and its evos! They're sooo cute... and the ice cream thing is kind of cool. That, and the idea of sweeping Drayden with a dessert is too good to miss! >=] Trubbish and its evo... meh. It's okay... but not something trainable for me (I much prefer Swalot, thanks).

BW202
21st February 2011, 8:51 AM
I love Vanillite and its evos! They're sooo cute... and the ice cream thing is kind of cool. That, and the idea of sweeping Drayden with a dessert is too good to miss! >=] Trubbish and its evo... meh. It's okay... but not something trainable for me (I much prefer Swalot, thanks).

I am TERRIFIED of Gulpin and Swalot after seeing what happens in SSB. That thing can swallow MARIO...*shivers* I still like them, tied for favorite Poisons with Foonguss and Amoonguss.

R_N
21st February 2011, 9:03 AM
Just avoid touching it and you'll be just fine.

It & Trubbish undulates
I am judging these books by their covers so hard I had to shell out an extra ten dollars

Sakrey
21st February 2011, 11:19 AM
http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-502.html#more

I Think it's about some Pokémon concepts/story behind the concept. There is also a few things about some main characters. And finally some stuff about building insight conception, mostly about bridges.

Wish I could read moonspeak...*sigh*

Edit: ARRRH! Sabonea_Masukippa teh savior of my day. Looking forward to read from your translation :) (Did you catch some crabs ? Crabs are yummy. Mmmh, yummy crabbies...)

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st February 2011, 12:00 PM
^Lucky for you, I'm back from a three-day trip sunning myself on a rainy beach. Let's get this party started. :P

*Note, this is the blog author's summary of the article, so it may not accurately reflect the original article.

Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion
Designer: Umino (Unno?) [Note: I think this may be the designer who did Oshawott's line and the first evos of the Monkey Trio]
Basically based on the Three Musketeers 
Athos is Cobalion, Porthos is Terrakion and Aramis is Virizion
Wise.
Cobalion --> Sharp, pointed horns
Virizion --> Fast movements, cuts opponents with its horn
Terrakion --> Horns like an axe, stops its opponents and forces them back

Larvesta & Volcorona
The motif was a moth.
The red parts of Larvesta are based off the Tower of the Sun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_the_Sun)
Volcorona originally had 4 wings.
The black spots on Volcorona's wings are based on sun spots.

Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, and Lilligant
Designer: Atsuko Nishida
They'd designed too many of that specific type, but getting rid of them felt like a waste, so they made them version exclusives.
Cottonee and Whimsicott also look like sheep.
Petilil and Lilligant were originally intended to be a 3-stage evolution line.
Lilligant is a 'Never-on-time rich girl'.

Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus
Designer: At the time, a new female designer (referred to below as 'Newbie')
Haxorus appeared so early [in development] you might as well call him first.
They attack by turning their heads.
Part of their charm is that they don't look like Pokemon.
Axew and Fraxure were created after Haxorus.

Darumaka & Darmanitan
Designer: Newbie
Thought up from the tradition of burning Daruma dolls at festivals and such.
Because Daruma dolls are based on Bodhidharma, who it is said looks like a gorrilla, they made it look like a Daruma doll-like gorilla.

Stunfisk
It was made because [someone] wanted to make the flattest Pokemon.
It was originally a Water/Electric-Type with a blue body based on a goosefish (http://naturalsciences.org/microsites/education/deepsea/images/goosefish.jpg).
But, when they were adjusting the balance [of the Pokedex (colour, type, order, of various Pokemon etc)] they changed its type and made it like a Right-Eye Flounder (http://www.mon-cci.or.jp/karei/gif/numagarei.jpg).
There was a rough sketch of someone stepping on it and it producing an electric shock.

Frillish & Jellicent
Designer: Frillsh was designed by Newbie.
At first, they were based on a Prince and Princess, but during the balance adjustment [see above] they added the Ghost-Type.
The original designer was disappointed because they had the frightening aspects added [like their Pokedex entries].

Deerling & Sawsbuck
They were made to match up with the new Season feature.
As an idea, Sawsbuck came first.

Litwick, Lampent, & Chandelure
The original idea was to go from a bonfire Pokemon to a candle to a lamp.
But, a bonfire evolving into a candle was disputed and the candle became the first stage.

Tympole, Palpitoad, & Seismitoad
Seismitoad was designed first, then Palpitoad and then Tympole.
The shapes above the eyes and the protuding mouth are the 'binding' points in the line.

Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Sugimori says '[It has/They have a] good face.'
It follows the same concept as that behind Magneton, Eggsecute and Dugtrio

Dwebble & Crustle
Originally, the concept was to have its 'house' be an earthenware pot it had fired itself.
Called the 'Furnace Pokemon.'
But, it was too sluggish, so they played it straight.

Scrafty & Scraggy
Based on sagging/pants worn around the bum or upper thigh.
That it was holding its own shed skin was difficult to convey, but thanks to the animations [in BW], it works.

Yamask & Cofagrigus
They tried to convey some appealingess with them on top of the scariness.

Pawniard & Bisharp
Appears in cities and towns.
Bisharp gives orders to Pawniard, who cling to their opponents and takes them down with the blades on their stomachs.

Ok, Pokemon done, I'll do the characters tomorrow in the character thread once I get some sleep. But, all this is interesting, no? Snowy?

Porygandrew
21st February 2011, 3:28 PM
dwebble and crustle would've fit their design concepts better if they were rock/fire types.

I still don't get or understand the point of Pawniard & Bisharp other than, "Oh, we don't have a pokemon of this type combo"

tmega90
21st February 2011, 3:48 PM
I really like hearing the origins of the ideas for all the New Pokemon. It is really cool finding out!!

Dracoste
21st February 2011, 4:15 PM
Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus

Darumaka & Darmanitan
Because Daruma dolls are based on Bodhidharma, who it is said looks like a gorrilla, they made it look like a Daruma doll-like gorilla.

Stunfisk
It was originally a Water/Electric-Type with a blue body based on a goosefish (http://naturalsciences.org/microsites/education/deepsea/images/goosefish.jpg).
But, when they were adjusting the balance [of the Pokedex (colour, type, order, of various Pokemon etc)] they changed its type and made it like a Right-Eye Flounder (http://www.mon-cci.or.jp/karei/gif/numagarei.jpg).
There was a rough sketch of someone stepping on it and it producing an electric shock.

Frillish & Jellicent
At first, they were based on a Prince and Princess, but during the balance adjustment [see above] they added the Ghost-Type.
The original designer was disappointed because they had the frightening aspects added [like their Pokedex entries].

Wow, "Newbie" came up with some awesome Pokémon.

UnovaSwampert
21st February 2011, 4:30 PM
Oh, does anyone know if there are any evolutions added to pre-existing Pokemon, such as Qwilfish and Dunsparce, those Pokemon with no evolutions? Any thing added to the evolutionary chain?

Dracoste
21st February 2011, 4:37 PM
Oh, does anyone know if there are any evolutions added to pre-existing Pokemon, such as Qwilfish and Dunsparce, those Pokemon with no evolutions? Any thing added to the evolutionary chain?

No, not a single one, and you also won't see a single pokémon from any other gen until you beated the Elite 4.

UnovaSwampert
21st February 2011, 4:39 PM
No, not a single one, and you also won't see a single pokémon from any other gen until you beated the Elite 4.

I've read that.

That's a drawback to this generation, I wanted Tauros and Dunsparce to have evolutions.

Serebii
21st February 2011, 4:43 PM
I've read that.

That's a drawback to this generation, I wanted Tauros and Dunsparce to have evolutions.
It's not a drawback. It's a selling point.

It's them trying to do a reboot, a reinvigorating for the franchise so everything is new again. They wanted players to have the same feeling as with Red & Blue. Playing with nothing but new ones.

UnovaSwampert
21st February 2011, 4:46 PM
It's not a drawback. It's a selling point.

It's them trying to do a reboot, a reinvigorating for the franchise so everything is new again. They wanted players to have the same feeling as with Red & Blue. Playing with nothing but new ones.

Well, there's two sides to this argument over a selling point.

With relative nostalgia to Red&Blue, the feeling of everything new, as you stated, is great. I'd love to feel the same way.

But, wouldn't you like to see our old beloved ones get some evolutions? Make Dunsparce useful and Tauros great again?

R_N
21st February 2011, 4:53 PM
^Lucky for you, I'm back from a three-day trip sunning myself on a rainy beach. Let's get this party started. :P

*Note, this is the blog author's summary of the article, so it may not accurately reflect the original article.

Designer: Umino (Unno?) [Note: I think this may be the designer who did Oshawott's line and the first evos of the Monkey Trio]
Wise.

There now no one can deny it!

They'd designed too many of that specific type, but getting rid of them felt like a waste, so they made them version exclusives.
Hahahaa I love that they had so many grass types but threw them in anyway. If I had to guess I'd say Lilligant (lol never-on-time rich girl kind of reminds me of Bianca) was the final stage, with a middle stage to round the line off. I wonder if we might see more expansions to the line in future generations?

Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus
What? They look exactly like Pokemon... Especially Axew! Its hella Pokemon

Darumaka & Darmanitan

Stunfisk

Frillish & Jellicent

Newbie, you certainly got around, didn't you.
So Stunfisk was going to be water type afterall...
Ha ha, just imagining her going all "wait why are you adding this to them nooooo :((("

But, a bonfire evolving into a candle was disputed and the candle became the first stage.
I guess a Bonfire would just been a floating flame?

Klink, Klang, Klinklang
It follows the same concept as that behind Magneton, Eggsecute and Dugtrio So Sugimori designed the line?

Dwebble & Crustle
Originally, the concept was to have its 'house' be an earthenware pot it had fired itself.
Probably would have been a Fire/Rock or Fire/Ground or maybe even Fire/Bug, huh?
I like what we got better, though Crustle is not what I would call "playing it straight"

This was greeeaaaaat :D

dwebble and crustle would've fit their design concepts better if they were rock/fire types.

Chances are they were probably either that or Bug/Fire when being developed, maybe?

I still don't get or understand the point of Pawniard & Bisharp other than, "Oh, we don't have a pokemon of this type combo"
What's the point of any Pokemon. Your complaint about Pawniard & Bisharp makes no sense.

But, wouldn't you like to see our old beloved ones get some evolutions? Make Dunsparce useful and Tauros great again?

They did. It was called Generation 4 and gave tons of evolutions for many many beloved and weak Pokemon.

The Eleventh
21st February 2011, 4:57 PM
Wow, "Newbie" really did make some wonderful Pokémon. I would have liked older Pokémon to have gotten evolutions, even if you couldn't actual use the Pokémon, or obtain its evolution until after the E4. Perhaps we'll get some in Gen VI. ;D

Dracoste
21st February 2011, 4:58 PM
So Sugimori designed the line?

This is a great discovery! When someone says this gen "sucks" because it cointains "un-original" Pokémon and they want that only Sugimori has to create them, then show them the Klink line!

UnovaSwampert
21st February 2011, 5:00 PM
Ken Sugimori is just amazing. But Newbie may take his spot...

R_N
21st February 2011, 5:01 PM
Looks like Pokejungle took a stab at the character inspirations.

* Iris and Drayden were designed as opposites. Drayden is the oldest gym leader, while Iris is the youngest with a lot of potential. She came from the forest and seems to be raised by dragons, while he studied abroad to better understand his favorite type. Drayden is also meant to be a gentleman who is both smart and strong.
* Brycen used to be a movie star who got into a slump after he was done making films. Alder told him to use his time to master pokemon so Brycen went alone into an icy cave and trained in silence to gain the most knowledge he could. He also feels it is important to conceal his identity.
* Alder ended up having the appearance of a drifter and you can see with his clothes they are somewhat torn and ragged. Original design had a somewhat Christ-like image.
* Emmet and Ingo are twins who are supposed to invoke a clown-ish image. Their jackets represent the mix of a subway track-like design with that of a clown’s outfit. (I’m not seeing it)

Next issue is supposed to reveal the ‘Elite 4′s Secrets’

I like that Brycen was apparently a washed up (MORE LIKE ICED OVER AM I RIGHT) Movie star
Christ-like Alder...interesting.

This is a great discovery! When someone says this gen "sucks" because it cointains "un-original" Pokémon and they want that only Sugimori has to create them, then show them the Klink line!

And once more we get more "Well it happened in an earlier generation/gen 1 so it should be okay..." design philosophy

Blueysicle
21st February 2011, 5:21 PM
They did. It was called Generation 4 and gave tons of evolutions for many many beloved and weak Pokemon.

And ironically, that was one of the things that got Generation 4 *****ed at.

It really fascinates me reading about how these Pokemon were designed and what their inspirations were. It just shows to me how much work and dedication they put into it. And man, somebody should give that Newbie a raise.

I am curious, though. If Haxorus was supposedly the first 5th Generation Pokemon to be finished, I wonder what the last one was?

R_N
21st February 2011, 5:25 PM
Poor poor Newbie

She's probably going to be referred to as Newbie even when she's had several years under her belt, now.

Dr. Leggs
21st February 2011, 5:26 PM
Ahh, this is so cool, thank you Sabonea!

I was thinking the spots on Volcarona's wings could be sunspots... I like those subtle little additions they have. Newbie's on a roll, wow... Hope she'll be on the design team for Gen VI. But I love hearing these little bits about the character and Pokemon design concepts... Too cool.

Chimchar15
21st February 2011, 6:01 PM
Just to be fair pokejungle had these translations up way earlier. I still appreciate the effort though sabonea.

XXD17
21st February 2011, 6:31 PM
The background for bisharp and pawniard just made them so sanguinary...I mean clinging to and cutting up its opponents with the blades in it stomach? So that's what those ribs are for...that's pretty dark for a pokemon...I guess it is to be expected from a dark type though...

Sakrey
21st February 2011, 7:11 PM
Wise.

I like the way how they put the idea of blades behind the use of the horns. It seems to be a foil for Cobalion, a saber for Virizion and, obviously, an axe for Terrakion. I think it really fits their "personalities".

Larvesta & Volcorona
The motif was a moth.
The red parts of Larvesta are based off the Tower of the Sun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_the_Sun)

It's amazing how they think a design, even for such trivial adds like sun spots.

Haha, I can clearly see Lilligant like this! Brilliant.

Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus

Oh. Does "first" refered to "the first one to have been designed in the Axew line" or "One of the first Pokémon design for the 5th gen" ?

Frillish & Jellicent

Poor Newbie p:
Well, at least they gave them an original type combination.

Klink, Klang, Klinklang

I see what they did here. Funny :P

Scrafty & Scraggy
That it was holding its own shed skin was difficult to convey, but thanks to the animations [in BW], it works.

The animation of sprites in BW has brought a new perspective to Pokémon design. I'm glad that happened !

Thank you so much Sab for the excellent work you've done here. I'm eagerly waiting for the rest to be translated !

Angry Ancestor
21st February 2011, 7:24 PM
Interesting that Haxorus came before Axew and Fraxure.

hever
21st February 2011, 7:28 PM
Interesting that Haxorus came before Axew and Fraxure.

Not really considering that it's a similar concept when they created Jynx and a generation later they made Smoochum; or any of those pokemon in that matter like Electabuzz, and Magmar.

Angry Ancestor
21st February 2011, 7:33 PM
But those are over the span of many years.

I just simply found it interesting that Haxorus came before Axew and Fraxure. That's all, it's my opinion. :/

Grei
21st February 2011, 7:34 PM

Um, no. I mean, I did before, but it's been much better having an entirely brand-new generation. The franchise has really grown because of it.

It's definitely part of BW's charm.

Also, Newbie is really awesome. Designing Darmanitan, Haxorus, Stunfisk, and Jellicent? I love her.

Lorde
21st February 2011, 7:37 PM
Larvesta & Volcorona seem like interesting Pokemon to me now. I had no idea that the red parts of Larvesta were based off the Tower of the Sun. I've actually seen that sculpture in pictures before, but I never connected it with Larvesta. I also liked the bit that talked about how Volcorona originally had 4 wings and how the black spots on its wings are based on sun spots. Without these tidbits, I seriously never would have guessed what they put into these Pokemon.

Maverik
21st February 2011, 7:54 PM
They really put more effort into this generation's Pokemon, it's too bad people are still complaining like total ******s over the designs because they aren't used to them or because they're stuck in their land of Ditto and Charizard.

I'm glad they put newbie into the team, I really like Haxorus and Darmanitan.

Tyrannotaur
21st February 2011, 8:06 PM
Tyrannotaur used WALL OF TEXT! It's SUPER EFFECTIVE! Wild Serebii Forums user fainted!

Well, there's two sides to this argument over a selling point.

With relative nostalgia to Red&Blue, the feeling of everything new, as you stated, is great. I'd love to feel the same way.

While I agree that gaining more evolutions of pokemon who needed help competitively would be nice, I have to say the idea of "starting fresh" is way more appealing. Of course I'm sure in gen 6 we will get some previous pokemon evolutions.

Wise.

Certainly a very interesting take on the concept of "3 Muskateer Pokemon". I would have thought something more akin to Gallade if I just heard that concept without seeing the pokemon first. And People say pokemon has no originality anymore..

Larvesta & Volcorona
The motif was a moth.

The wings also remind me of how the sun used to be portrayed in alot of old painting's and stuff. Like this (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/4360338206_d0ed201356.jpg)for example.

I find it kinad funny that they actually realized they had too many grass types but said "Screw it" and put them in anyway. I am glad they did because these two make for pretty cool pokemon. Lilligant also reminds me of this trainer class (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Ruby_Sapphire_Lady.png) from Ru/Sa, so that's funny that it is semi based on that.

Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus

Newbie did a great job. Possibly my favorite pokemon of this gen.

Darumaka & Darmanitan

I love how pokemon teaches you new things. I never knew they burned Daruma Dolls. Makes loads of sense now as to why they are fire types.

Stunfisk

I'd have preffered another angler fish to what we got. Sorry Stunfisk fans..

Frillish & Jellicent

Interesting that they didn't start out as ghost types. Also by the way this is translated it seems that Newbie didn't design Jellicent, so I wonder if she liked how the evolution came out or not. Seems she intended on them being more good natured then they turned out to be too.

Deerling & Sawsbuck
They were made to match up with the new Season feature.
As an idea, Sawsbuck came first.
I figured as much. Shame there is only one pokemon who benefits from the seasons. Hopefully we get more eventually.

Seems they still turned out to be a progression of sorts. Single Candle to Lantern to Chandelier.

Tympole, Palpitoad, & Seismitoad
Seismitoad was designed first, then Palpitoad and then Tympole.
The shapes above the eyes and the protruding mouth are the 'binding' points in the line.
Took me a bit to get used to this line, but now I think they are pretty cool. Nice to see a true frog/toad line that doesn't require special conditions to reach the final amphibian form. Sorry Politoed, I still love you. I don't count Toxicroak cause he goes from frog to frog. I mean tadpole to frog/toad.

Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Sugimori designed it? He did a good job on the simple machine to complex machine design. Also its Exeggcute. No one can ever spell that right.

Dwebble & Crustle
I'm glad it isn't part fire, It doesn't need to be quadweak to water.

Scrafty & Scraggy
They did a great job on conveying the image of a paggy pants wearing punk/lizard.

Yamask & Cofagrigus
They tried to convey some appealingess with them on top of the scariness.
They did a good job with the sprite animation too. Notice it goes into its coffin mode only to pop out and dance around as if it was saying "OGGIE BOOGIE!!"

Pawniard & Bisharp
Appears in cities and towns.
Bisharp gives orders to Pawniard, who cling to their opponents and takes them down with the blades on their stomachs.
Pretty brutal honestly. Reminds me of the Pack from Dead Space 2, but that's for another forum.

Ok, Pokemon done, I'll do the characters tomorrow in the character thread once I get some sleep. But, all this is interesting, no? Snowy?
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for doing it!

Just to be fair pokejungle had these translations up way earlier. I still appreciate the effort though sabonea.
Agreed, but Sabonea did it in a bit more detail. I do appreciate PJ doing the characters as well however.

-;248; tl;dr I like alot of the design concepts, also I KOed you with words. WORDS!

Hejiru
21st February 2011, 10:16 PM
Those are very interesting to read... I like hearing what ideaswerechanged or scrapped, like Petilil being 3-stage, Frillish non-ghost, Litwick out of order, and Stunfisk's changes. I'd like to know what other differences there were before this "balancing stage" occured.

So Haxorus was first huh? Cool :D

And for a "newbie", that one designer came up with kickass Pokemon! Keep her designing, Gamefreak!

The Eleventh
21st February 2011, 10:20 PM
I forgot to say earlier, thanks for translating Sabonea. Will you be translating the character background once it's available? C:

Sabonea_Masukippa
21st February 2011, 10:24 PM
Looks like Pokejungle took a stab at the character inspirations.

I like that Brycen was apparently a washed up (MORE LIKE ICED OVER AM I RIGHT) Movie star
Christ-like Alder...interesting.

And once more we get more "Well it happened in an earlier generation/gen 1 so it should be okay..." design philosophy

There's more I want to say, but I have a job interview this morning so I'm in kind of a rush. However,

a) Although Sugi commented on the line, it doesn't necessarily mean he designed it. I'll wait until I can find a copy of the full article to make the call. However, if he did, it means the Pokemon he designed this Gen were Zekrom, Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, Audino and the Klink line. So...maybe bring that up next time someone says something about Pokemon being better when only two people were designing them (which is a lie anyway, RB had 10 designers.).

2) PJ left a couple of things out, especially with Iris and Drayden. I'll do it later fully, but (and whether this is the interviewee or the blogger is ambiguous), Iris is reffered to as supposed to look like she's just got a tan/sunburnt. So yeah.

Also, no I cannot spell Exeggcute. ;)

The Eleventh
21st February 2011, 10:32 PM
I'll do it later fully, but (and whether this is the interviewee or the blogger is ambiguous), Iris is reffered to as supposed to look like she's just got a tan/sunburnt.

What?! Outrage! Iris only has a tan?! :o

Doesn't look like a tan to me. . . Seriously, though? Yeah, she has a "tan". o_o

kemal07
21st February 2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know if anyones mentioned it yet, but damn that tower looks very, very similar to Sunnyshore's tower Team rocket tried to take over in the anime!

UnovaSwampert
21st February 2011, 10:36 PM
I really wish you could obtain other regions starters in this game.

/sarcasm off

I can't wait for this game.

SasakiThePikachu
21st February 2011, 11:45 PM
What?! Outrage! Iris only has a tan?! :o

Doesn't look like a tan to me. . . Seriously, though? Yeah, she has a "tan". o_o

I thought Iris was black o.O

Angry Ancestor
21st February 2011, 11:51 PM
Iris is still black in my eyes. :rolleyes:

Dr. Leggs
22nd February 2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah, with the name Iris and her skin colour, I'd think she's at least of some sort of mixed blood. She's actually starting to warm up to me... Brycen and Clay are still my favourite Gym Leaders, though.

R_N
22nd February 2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah, with the name Iris and her skin colour, I'd think she's at least of some sort of mixed blood. She's actually starting to warm up to me... Brycen and Clay are still my favourite Gym Leaders, though.

How does "Iris" imply mixed blood?

isshoni
22nd February 2011, 1:04 AM
Stunfisk

So Newbie is the Divine Mother of Life who gave birth to The Almighty Lord Stunfisk. All praise The Mother *blissful chanting*

I thought Iris was black o.O

That's weird O_o I always thought she just had a tan, being a wild child and all. To me her features never seemed black at all.

GalladeX
22nd February 2011, 1:06 AM
So, Iris is a sunburnt Hispanic.
Or something.

Newbie designed some awesome Pokemon. Anyone know the ten Ken designed?

The Oncoming Storm
22nd February 2011, 2:46 AM
I am curious, though. If Haxorus was supposedly the first 5th Generation Pokemon to be finished, I wonder what the last one was?

Probly vanillite and its line. The creator was comissioned to make them in late '09. Like right round october to add to the ice pokes in this gen.

Shneak
22nd February 2011, 2:50 AM
I wonder what Newbie's original design of Stunfish looked like.

Ausgirl
22nd February 2011, 3:01 AM
Is it possible to shiny hunt on Pokemon B/W?

BW202
22nd February 2011, 3:03 AM
I'm calling that Newbie's name is Mary.

rocky505
22nd February 2011, 3:03 AM
Is it possible to shiny hunt on Pokemon B/W? Really? Yes it is possible just like every other main Pokemon game after R/G/B/Y.

Maverik
22nd February 2011, 3:05 AM
Perhaps if he means Pokeradar, then no, there is no Pokeradar in B/W.

It is still possible to search for shinies in the game, however, except for Victini and the R@ms. They cannot appear shiny.

Ausgirl
22nd February 2011, 3:15 AM
Perhaps if he means Pokeradar, then no, there is no Pokeradar in B/W.

It is still possible to search for shinies in the game, however, except for Victini and the R@ms. They cannot appear shiny.
Sigh. Why are they removing all the good stuff?

kemal07
22nd February 2011, 3:26 AM
I never noticed that till you all mentioned it here :S. So there isn't a device to search for shinies this time round??. Oh well, I'm not a shiny maniac in general, I can manage without them.

R_N
22nd February 2011, 3:36 AM
Sigh. Why are they removing all the good stuff?

It's been gone since Platinum

And it's not like the PokeRadar was designed to specifically be the ShinyRadar (that was just a bonus)

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 3:38 AM
Newbie designed some awesome Pokemon. Anyone know the ten Ken designed?

Zekrom, Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, and possibly Audino and the Klink line.

Here's a list as we know it now (italics means possibly designed):

Ken Sugimori: Zekrom Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, Audino, Klink, Klang, Klinklang
James Turner: Golett, Golurk, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Vullaby
Ohmura: Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott,
Atsuko Nishida: Minccino, Chillaccino, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Munna, Musharna, Karrablast (at least the original idea for it, anyway), Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, Lilligant (also Pikachu in Gen 1)
Umino/Unno: Terrakion, Cobalion, Virizion, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour
Korean Guy whose name always escapes me: Tepig, Pignite, Emboar
Female Staff Member 'Newbie': Haxorus, Fraxure, Axew, Stunfisk, Frillish, Darumaka, Darmanitan

Oh. Does "first" refered to "the first one to have been designed in the Axew line" or "One of the first Pokémon design for the 5th gen" ?

The way it's worded, it implies Haxorus was one of the first 5th Gen Pokemon to be finished, yes, although he was also the first in that evo line to be created too.

kemal07
22nd February 2011, 3:47 AM
It's been gone since Platinum

And it's not like the PokeRadar was designed to specifically be the ShinyRadar (that was just a bonus)

Thats how long it's been since Platinum lol. I completely forgot that the main reason I actually used the PokeRadar was to catch the previous gen Pokes.

R_N
22nd February 2011, 4:29 AM
Zekrom, Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, and possibly Audino and the Klink line.

Here's a list as we know it now (italics means possibly designed):

Ken Sugimori: Zekrom Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, Audino, Klink, Klang, Klinklang
James Turner: Golett, Golurk, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Vullaby
Ohmura: Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott,
Atsuko Nishida: Minccino, Chillaccino, Lillipup, Herdier, Stoutland, Munna, Musharna, Kaburumo( at least the original idea for it, anyway), Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, Lilligant (also Pikachu in Gen 1)
Umino/Unno: Terrakion, Cobalion, Virizion, Pansage, Pansear, Panpour
Korean Guy whose name always escapes me: Tepig, Pignite, Emboar
Female Staff Member 'Newbie': Haxorus, Fraxure, Axew, Stunfisk, Frillish, Darumaka, Darmanitan

The way it's worded, it implies Haxorus was one of the first 5th Gen Pokemon to be finished, yes, although he was also the first in that evo line to be created too.
Uh, wait, I thought Mushrana was designed by someone else, and then Muuna's designer designed Muuna after the fact

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 4:47 AM
Nope, Musharna was designed first but both were designed by Nishida. Sorry if I mistook the translations before.

R_N
22nd February 2011, 4:48 AM
It would be easier to cross check if all the interviews were in one, nice, easy to get to and reference spot!!

*cough cough*

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 4:54 AM
Aye, it would be. Although, most of it's coming from Nintendo Dream, so it's not too bad. :P Also, next month looks to have something on the Kami trio, so we might finally learn who was responsible for them. :-P

R_N
22nd February 2011, 5:00 AM
Aye, it would be. Although, most of it's coming from Nintendo Dream, so it's not too bad. :P Also, next month looks to have something on the Kami trio, so we might finally learn who was responsible for them. :-P

Bet it's Masuda
NO WAIT Sugimori

NO WAIT Sugimori and Masuda

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 5:25 AM
Am praying Sugimori. :P Although he and Masuda would have had to give final say to include them as is, so, they're still responsible even if they didn't design them.

Chimchar15
22nd February 2011, 6:14 AM
There's more I want to say, but I have a job interview this morning so I'm in kind of a rush. However,

a) Although Sugi commented on the line, it doesn't necessarily mean he designed it. I'll wait until I can find a copy of the full article to make the call. However, if he did, it means the Pokemon he designed this Gen were Zekrom, Reshiram, Sawk, Throh, Audino and the Klink line. So...maybe bring that up next time someone says something about Pokemon being better when only two people were designing them (which is a lie anyway, RB had 10 designers.).

2) PJ left a couple of things out, especially with Iris and Drayden. I'll do it later fully, but (and whether this is the interviewee or the blogger is ambiguous), Iris is reffered to as supposed to look like she's just got a tan/sunburnt. So yeah.

Also, no I cannot spell Exeggcute. ;)

Oh my bad. Well still thanks for all the work and good luck on the interview.

Mario with Lasers
22nd February 2011, 6:24 AM
Female Staff Member 'Newbie': Stunfisk, Frillish

I wanna father her children

hever
22nd February 2011, 7:13 AM
I wanna father her children

Uhhh... not if I do it first.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 7:33 AM
Just think, the same mind that created Haxorus created Stunfisk. How do you create something so amazing and something so ... well, it's basically just a praying mantis with giant fangs. :P

hever
22nd February 2011, 7:37 AM
Just think, the same mind that created Haxorus created Stunfisk. How do you create something so amazing and something so ... well, it's basically just a praying mantis with giant fangs. :P

By conceptualizing..

Artists use it all the time to invent something in the art world that has never existed before. Picasso was one of them; used to draw in meticulous detail but became famous for his abstract expressionism.

Shine
22nd February 2011, 7:52 AM

how can a dragon is also a mantis at the same time? :P

and IMO, Haxorus is amazing. It is Axew and Fraxure's flat fangs that puts me off.

I don't know if anyones mentioned it yet, but damn that tower looks very, very similar to Sunnyshore's tower Team rocket tried to take over in the anime!

Sunnyshore's Tower IS based on Tower of the Sun.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 8:04 AM
Guys, I was joking ... :P

BW202
22nd February 2011, 8:15 AM

I got the joke, don't worry XD

hever
22nd February 2011, 9:01 AM

Lol. I know. :P

:)

Shine
22nd February 2011, 9:19 AM

yeah we get the joke :p

my reply was half joking as well and half actual comment :D

The Oncoming Storm
22nd February 2011, 9:33 AM
Don't listen to em they didnt get it till you told them there was an it to get. I got it though and it was funny. How did every body else enjoy it?

Ahh now that was fun to type!

Chibi_Muffin
22nd February 2011, 9:36 AM

Ha ha, very funny... ¬_¬;

But Little Miss Newbie has proved a point, that anybody really can create a Pokémon idea and actually get it in the final game. Same with the American guy who made Vanillish and Golurk. Who knows who would have made the critters next gen?

luxrayshock
22nd February 2011, 9:37 AM
It makes one think there's a little pokemon creator in everyone...

hever
22nd February 2011, 9:38 AM
Who knows who would have made the critters next gen?

ha har. If there's going to be one. :P

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 9:39 AM
Ha ha, very funny... ¬_¬;

But Little Miss Newbie has proved a point, that anybody really can create a Pokémon idea and actually get it in the final game. Same with the American guy who made Vanillish and Golurk. Who knows who would have made the critters next gen?

??? You mean being employed by GF as a graphic designer and making Pokemon as part of your job? Yeah, just anyone can do it. O.o

hever
22nd February 2011, 9:43 AM
It makes one think there's a little pokemon creator in everyone...

Eww no. You have not seen people's drawings. I would burn my friend's drawings every time I see them... that or kill babies.

The Oncoming Storm
22nd February 2011, 9:44 AM
Speaking of everyone creating pokemon. WHY haven't gf ever held a create a pokemon contest? I mean sure it'd be alot of work but imagine the hype the pokemon would get.

I personally have made about thirty fleshed out pokes myself with names and designs along with eberything else the pokes need.

I guess im just boggled by the fact gf hasnt tried this.

BCVM22
22nd February 2011, 9:45 AM
Because Game Freak is a professional video game development studio staffed by trained, vetted professionals who get paid good money to conceive, create and refine monster designs for Pokémon.

They have absolutely nothing to gain by opening up the gates of hell and soliciting fan ideas, on any level, and in no way, shape or form is their decision not to do so a poor one.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 9:53 AM
Apart from the nightmare that licensing and copyright would potentially be for such a creation. And that most fan-created Pokemon are of ... dubious quality.

Shine
22nd February 2011, 10:01 AM
They can improve the quality of the winner's drawings (Yu-Gi-Oh! card creation contest and Digimon creation contest comes to mind) so that shouldn't be the reason as to why GF never held such contest.

Not sure what's the exact reason though, I actually wonder why this is never asked each time there's an interview with GF or at least with Nintendo.

BCVM22
22nd February 2011, 10:06 AM
Because they don't need to. There's your reason. It's not as if they're hurting for designs or artists to create new ones. It's not as if they're lacking hype and promotion. And as pointed out, there are issues of legalities, particularly in the department of future appearances, given that they can't simply omit a Pokémon from every single future entry on that basis.

Given all of that and more, what reason do they have to subject themselves to such a maelstrom, when they could not even give it a second thought and keep doing what they do?

The Oncoming Storm
22nd February 2011, 10:07 AM
Oh well any way.
I was so stunned when I was looking through some old stuff of mine today. I saw an old drawing I had and the poke was freakishly similar to pawniard or bisharp. It had a bladed chest and the arms were like filiett(sp?) Knives, while the legs were bent braodswords, and out of its head knives popped up when it was angry like a switch blade mohawk. As soon as I saw I was like wtf. Now I have a new found love of bisharp.

Sabonea_Masukippa
22nd February 2011, 10:08 AM
@BCVM22: So the dolphin lovers who hate things like Stunfisk for stealing the secret Dolphin Pokemon's spot each gen could finally force GF to include one?

BCVM22
22nd February 2011, 10:09 AM
Dolphin lovers? That's just a fluke.

Blueysicle
22nd February 2011, 4:00 PM

Ba-dum tsssssh.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34)
Not to mention we already do have a dolphin Pokemon. It's called Kyogre. Kyogre is based off of a killer whale, which is just a type of dolphin. We don't have a bottlenose dolphin Pokemon, which is what most people think of when they hear the word "dolphin".

The hell with dolphins, though. Pistol shrimps are where it's at.

Mr.Munchlax
22nd February 2011, 4:11 PM

As shocked, stunned, & slightly upset as I am, that would explain why she's dubbed by a white actress in the anime instead of a black one.

Sircharles
22nd February 2011, 4:26 PM
So i'm gonna be a loser and i'm going to miss my 4th gen pokes so i'm gonna break up my team into 2 different ones.
my black team will consist of
Manectric
Infernape
Feraligatr
Swoobat
Simisage
and Prolly Gigalith or prolly my scizor.
my White version team will consist of
Altaria or Mandibuzz
Metagross
Mamoswine
Serperior
Seismitoad or Magmortar
Cinncino!!!
pm me if you have any advice for me :)

Dr. Leggs
22nd February 2011, 4:39 PM
Puns make me cry. ;~;

A pistol shrimp Pokemon would be great, Water/Fire or something?

But yeah, Kyogre fulfills the idea of dolphin Pokemon to me, so that's fine.

darkgamerGS
22nd February 2011, 6:28 PM
Frillish & Jellicent

Do you know if Pringles were an inspiration for male Jellicent?

R_N
22nd February 2011, 6:48 PM
Because Game Freak is a professional video game development studio staffed by trained, vetted professionals who get paid good money to conceive, create and refine monster designs for Pokémon.

They have absolutely nothing to gain by opening up the gates of hell and soliciting fan ideas, on any level, and in no way, shape or form is their decision not to do so a poor one.
Well, Draco Meteor came about because of a fan contest.
Or the name did, at least.

But yeah there's no reason to

Angry Ancestor
22nd February 2011, 6:50 PM
Wasn't Kingdra the result of a contest? Or am I just making things up? :S

Wadeledge
22nd February 2011, 7:05 PM
Wasn't Kingdra the result of a contest? Or am I just making things up? :S

I don't recall ever hearing that.

Angry Ancestor
22nd February 2011, 7:09 PM
Yeah, definitely just my imagination.

Dr. Leggs
22nd February 2011, 7:16 PM
Yes, Draco Meteor as an attack was created by a fan but aside from that there's no fan material in GF's work.

LexSuicune
22nd February 2011, 7:58 PM
I had no clue Draco Meteor was fan-made lmao.

MetalFlygon08
22nd February 2011, 9:19 PM
On the topic of 5th Gen Pokemon, who do you all think the top normal type is?

I'm torn between Braivairy and Bouffolant.

hever
22nd February 2011, 9:23 PM
On the topic of 5th Gen Pokemon, who do you all think the top normal type is?

I'm torn between Braivairy and Bouffolant.

Uhh I think it's Audino. That rabbit has an innocent look that is forced to be reckoned with.

MetalFlygon08
22nd February 2011, 9:25 PM
I can't see Audino anymore, it's pre-release chin has scarred me for life...

Dr. Leggs
22nd February 2011, 9:28 PM
Audino really does seem useless in my eyes... Like a worse Chansey but in every way, and uglier. ._.

I'm actually really not liking any of the Normal-types this time around, with the exception of Sawsbuck and Cinccino, so those'd be my picks.

MetalFlygon08
22nd February 2011, 9:30 PM
Forgot them, quick topic change, I just saw the celebi event Gamestop comercial, and in the battle it had Snivy vs. Zorua, and Snivy used Giga Impact/Double-Edge, that's not possible is it?

Chimchar15
22nd February 2011, 9:30 PM
Watchog rules all! Seriously though Watchog isn't that bad considering he's the regional rodent. His movepool is actually pretty good. Though while he is my favorite I wouldn't say the best normal type.