PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

MagnetonNr1
27th February 2011, 12:37 PM
On a further note, anyone think bisharp looks like a scizor/lucario/power ranger hybrid? looks awesome

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101120193004/pokemon/images/thumb/9/9b/Kirikizan.png/89px-Kirikizan.png

Haha, it really looks like a Power Ranger, but even though I don't like them, I like Bisharp.

alpha1094
27th February 2011, 12:38 PM
I see Scizor and Red Ranger, not really seeing a Lucario resemblance tbh...

Still an awesome Poke. I think Gen 5 has the largest number of great fan favourite pokemon out of all the Gens, at least in my opinion.

Dragoniteftw
27th February 2011, 1:23 PM
Just reminds me of the equivalent of lucario in the 5th gen, but it doesn't look much like him

also there seems to be alot of dark types in this game

Sabonea_Masukippa
27th February 2011, 1:44 PM
Yep, 16 Dark types this gen (most previously was Gen 3 with approx. 10). Not to mention that we got not one but two 3-stage dark type lines (Krookodile and Hydreigon) for the first time. Other random feats for Gen 5 include:

a) first 3-stage fighting line since first gen (Timburr line)
b) first 3-stage pure Rock line (Roggenrola line)
c) first 3-stage pure dragon line (Axew line)
d) first non-starter 3 stage fire type line introduced and completed in the same gen (Litwick's line)
e) first 3-stage pure steel line (Klink line)
f) first non-evolved/non-evolving non-legendary Dragon (Druddigon)

Dragoniteftw
27th February 2011, 1:55 PM
Yep, 16 Dark types this gen (most previously was Gen 3 with approx. 10). Not to mention that we got not one but two 3-stage dark type lines (Krookodile and Hydreigon) for the first time.

wow, I am not complaining though I really like the look of the pokemon in this gen

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 1:59 PM
Well, there weren't any Dark types in gen 1. So I think it's a good thing that they added some more Dark-types than usual, to get the number of Dark-types up.
Personaly, I like Dark-type pokémon. and 4 out of 7 lines got a unique type combination.

The Eleventh
27th February 2011, 2:32 PM
Yep, 16 Dark types this gen (most previously was Gen 3 with approx. 10). Not to mention that we got not one but two 3-stage dark type lines (Krookodile and Hydreigon) for the first time. Other random feats for Gen 5 include:

d) first non-starter 3 stage fire type line introduced and completed in the same gen (Litwick's line)

Those are some very, very interesting pieces of trivia. ^_^

Grey Wind
27th February 2011, 3:17 PM

Also, fisrt Pokemon with no weaknesses that's not Dark/Ghost (Elektross).
And a load of the old stones (Fire, Water etc) were used for the first time in ages

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 3:28 PM
Other random feats for Gen 5 include:

It also introduced the first Bug-typed legandary and Fight-typed legendarys.

And contains the most pokémon with a unique type combination, 32 in total

DazedMinezumi
27th February 2011, 3:38 PM
Just wanted to say......... Imagine a Solosis on the neck of a Palkia using Water Sport......... Scary resemblance

Xman96
27th February 2011, 4:00 PM
Sorry for the images. They were interesting, so I wanted to share them.

No you guys did not give me nightmares. I was just kidding. THey were really cool, and that one did look like Munna.

Dr. Leggs
27th February 2011, 5:23 PM
Just wanted to say......... Imagine a Solosis on the neck of a Palkia using Water Sport......... Scary resemblance

Thank you for that wonderfully productive and contributive post.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm lovin' all the type-records and achievements Gen V is making, they really made an effort to balance the types this time around (or I just love Bug-types).

ManhattanTheStarr
27th February 2011, 5:28 PM
This generation really gave Bug types more recognition. Almost every Bug type in B/W has gotten a unique type combination, or are actually useful in battle. And the two early bugs are probably my favorite in this generation (Sewaddle and Venipede). I also adore Joltik and Galvantula, but I don't think I'll ever use one. :x

elorasheppard
27th February 2011, 5:38 PM
Is anyone else kinda sad that there are so few water pokemon this time around? I mean I love all the new type combos and I like that the bug types are getting more useful but what I loved in past games is the wide variety of water types you could choose from.

Dr. Leggs
27th February 2011, 5:49 PM
Sinnoh's obnoxiously high number of Water-types killed me... I'm happy for a little Water break this time around.

Angry Ancestor
27th February 2011, 5:56 PM
I'm happy Bug has gotten so much recognition too. Accelgorr FTW!

travisjb90
27th February 2011, 6:16 PM
I am really happy that a lot of types got more Pokemon this generation. I like how the added more type combos as well. A lot of the type combos are really cool and really different. I like how some Pokemon don't have the type or type combos that you think they would have.

MagnetonNr1
27th February 2011, 6:20 PM
I'm happy Bug has gotten so much recognition too. Accelgorr FTW!

The Wrath of the Bug-Type-Pokémon, somehow.

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 6:25 PM
I think they are kinda promoting the bug Pokémon this gen, they probably want the idea of bug-Pokémon-are-weak to be gone. Even the champion has three bug-type Pokémon.
And it also helps that the bug Pokémon look so awesome and not weak this gen.

Weaver_8
27th February 2011, 6:55 PM
Vullaby is one of my favourites :( Designed by none other than James Turner (also in charge of Golett and Vanillite's evo lines). Mandibuzz appears to have been designed by someone else, though.

I'm sorry... I just find it kind of creepy wearing a skull as a diaper. Poor Woobat... on the bright side I love the Golett evo line, and Vanillite's evo line.

R_N
27th February 2011, 7:05 PM
I like the bug types this gen a lot, but I wish that:
-Karrablast had been part dark type. He's a sneaky thieving beetle, who uses his sneaky ways to steal the shell of another bug
-And to continue the parallels of the thief becoming a Knight, Accelgor should also have been Dark type because he's after revenge.
-Any new Bug/Water type. Any at all. Preferably a full 2/3 stage line of them.

Bug/Dark is an all new type combination, and I'm surprised we have yet to have one yet. Lots of "dirty" bugs out there, you know?
Bug/Water is used on exactly one (1) Pokemon, Surskit. Who evolves into a Bug/Flying type because GOD KNOWS WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THOSE

LexSuicune
27th February 2011, 7:30 PM
Bug and Ghost types are the soverign of this region <3

BlackShadowRose
27th February 2011, 7:34 PM
I have to say it has been a long time from the last time i was really in to a new Pokemon game. It is all because of the Pokemon really. Finally get to use some bugs types that really help the team and my loved Dark types get a great bump. Also finally a dragon/dark type.
Over all combinations are very balanced and over all look and us-fullness of the Pokemon make is hard to choose a team. I think that's a good thing really.
Only Pokemon that disappointed me was 3 in all of gen 5.

First was the Fire starter. I do like how it started off but I can't get over the finale stage design. I think they should have stuck with keeping it four legged maybe or just revamping it.

Second is the water starter. All of the water starter stages just look... odd to me. Like they were trying way to hard. First one seemed like they just ran out of ideas so put a plushie looking otter. Second stage they just built on the first one. The finale one seemed they did not know where to go so they just winged it... Love the names but thats it. (my hubby loves that start though... not sure why but he thinks the finale evolutions cool.)

Finally... well before I say anything i will say that the other two in truth I can live with. I am even using the fire starter in one of my games. This one though... even though it is a dark type... wish just taken out of the games and forgot that was ever there. They even had Ash get it!... of all the dark types for him to finally get they gave him a Scraggy! There is nothing I can say really about that Pokemon or its evolution Scrafty that's good. Well not totally right. I loved the fact that it is Dark/Fighting Other then that... nothing. I look at it and just want to delete it.... ok I am not going to go about the poor thing. Not it's fault really..

I would say which ones I really like/love but I would be here all day. Look down at my two teams there are some there =^^=

Wadeledge
27th February 2011, 7:53 PM
Question: Does Braviary gain any benefit from Sheer Force? From what I can tell about the ability it only applies to moves with positive secondary effect (like Flare Blitz causing burns) but doesn't apply to moves with negative effects to the user like Super Power. If that's the case then it doesn't really have many moves that the ability affects right?

Tyrannotaur
27th February 2011, 8:06 PM
Question: Does Braviary gain any benefit from Sheer Force? From what I can tell about the ability it only applies to moves with positive secondary effect (like Flare Blitz causing burns) but doesn't apply to moves with negative effects to the user like Super Power. If that's the case then it doesn't really have many moves that the ability affects right?

He does actually. Only on a few moves though. Crush Claw, Air Slash, Rock Tomb, and Rock Slide. I'm not sure if Retaliate, Pluck and stuff like Shadow claw are effected or not though.

-;248;

Hejiru
27th February 2011, 8:14 PM
I like the bug types this gen a lot, but I wish that:
-Karrablast had been part dark type. He's a sneaky thieving beetle, who uses his sneaky ways to steal the shell of another bug
-And to continue the parallels of the thief becoming a Knight, Accelgor should also have been Dark type because he's after revenge.
-Any new Bug/Water type. Any at all. Preferably a full 2/3 stage line of them.

Bug/Dark is an all new type combination, and I'm surprised we have yet to have one yet. Lots of "dirty" bugs out there, you know?
Bug/Water is used on exactly one (1) Pokemon, Surskit. Who evolves into a Bug/Flying type because GOD KNOWS WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THOSE

Where did it say Karrablast stole that shell? As I recall, the only mention of it was the Pokedex saying something about it evolving when it came into contact with Shelmet. Shelmet could've just given it to Karrablast to gain speed and evolve to Accelgor.

But I do think Shelmet should've been Bug/Steel. It just makes sense. Shelmet (shell; Bug/Steel) traded with Karrablast (no shell; Bug) evolve to Accelgor (no shell; Bug) and Escavalier (shell; Bug/Steel). That would've been way better.

I also think they should've been next to each other in the 'dex and perhaps be version exclusives. But that's just me.

Tyrannotaur
27th February 2011, 8:29 PM
Where did it say Karrablast stole that shell? As I recall, the only mention of it was the Pokedex saying something about it evolving when it came into contact with Shelmet. Shelmet could've just given it to Karrablast to gain speed and evolve to Accelgor.

But I do think Shelmet should've been Bug/Steel. It just makes sense. Shelmet (shell; Bug/Steel) traded with Karrablast (no shell; Bug) evolve to Accelgor (no shell; Bug) and Escavalier (shell; Bug/Steel). That would've been way better.

I also think they should've been next to each other in the 'dex and perhaps be version exclusives. But that's just me.

Well Karrablast is based of a species of Carrabid (ground beetle) that has a body designed to get into a snail shell and eat them. Observe. (http://www.fritzhaeg.com/garden/initiatives/animalestates/animals/ground-beetle.html) http://www.fritzhaeg.com/webpic/gl-pic/gl-ae-pic/animals/insects/ground-beetle03.jpg So it does make sense that Shelmet was forced out of his shell, though there's no way to prove it either way honestly.

I agree with you on the typing though. I don't understand why Shellmet isn't park steel.

-;248;

R_N
27th February 2011, 8:32 PM

It's based on a beetle that eats snails out of the shell. According to Escavalier's entry it "found" a Chobomaki's shell., and Karrablast specifically targets Shelmet (who totally should have been Steel type and I'm baffled as to why it isn't).
It's more implied, I suppose.

Also apparently Escavalier just zooms around at high speed stabbing things.

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 8:33 PM
I agree with you on the typing though. I don't understand why Shellmet isn't park steel.

-;248;

Well, I think it would look strange if a dual typed Pokémon becomes single typed?

Also apparently Escavalier just zooms around at high speed stabbing things.

It's dex entry is quite weird. It has 20 base speed. How can you "zoom" around with 20 base speed? Snorlax base speed is 30, I don't see him "zooming" around.

CaptainBrain
27th February 2011, 8:40 PM
I thought that Escavalier would have been faster. That's slightly disappointing.

Speaking of odd dex entries, I remember one of the entries for Dragonite saying that it can fly around the world quickly. Dragonite only has a base 55 speed. I don't see him flying around the world that quickly.

Weaver_8
27th February 2011, 8:43 PM
The Djinn trio as many have said before were a bit of a let down for me when I first saw them. But also like many others I find myself liking them now and hope to use them eventually. I understand Tornadus and Thundurus are based off of Raijin and Fujin, Landorus though I am a bit confused. I hear he is based off of Inari god of rice, or was he just associated with it... whatever, This seems kind of odd as Inari from what I've read so far doesn't seem to have any connections with Fujin or Raijin. Wait maybe that's why he isn't put next to them to signify a trio! Could this be... Fridge Brilliance?!

Hejiru
27th February 2011, 8:44 PM
Well Karrablast is based of a species of Carrabid (ground beetle) that has a body designed to get into a snail shell and eat them. Observe. (http://www.fritzhaeg.com/garden/initiatives/animalestates/animals/ground-beetle.html) http://www.fritzhaeg.com/webpic/gl-pic/gl-ae-pic/animals/insects/ground-beetle03.jpg So it does make sense that Shelmet was forced out of his shell, though there's no way to prove it either way honestly.

-;248;

Oh dear god. Nightmare fuel O_O

R_N
27th February 2011, 8:46 PM
I've always liked the base design and idea of the Kami trio.

It just irritates me to no end how they didn't even bother to give them different poses.
The pixies had more variety in their poses across all the game they had a different sprite in! And their only real difference was their head.

Weaver_8
27th February 2011, 8:49 PM
I've always liked the base design and idea of the Kami trio.

It just irritates me to no end how they didn't even bother to give them different poses.
The pixies had more variety in their poses across all the game they had a different sprite in! And their only real difference was their head.

Yeah you have a major point. They didn't really think to position these guys in any other order, heck they didn't even flip the direction they were facing.

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 8:52 PM
Yeah you have a major point. They didn't really think to position these guys in any other order, heck they didn't even flip the direction they were facing.

Well, from what I've heard, they move different. So instead they gave them different posses, they gave them different movements, I assume.

R_N
27th February 2011, 8:54 PM
Well, from what I've heard, they move different. So instead of giving them them different posses they gave them different movement, I assume.

Yeaaah about that. The animations are, technically, different, but have so little variation & range of motion that they're pretty much the same across all three.

And it's not like they didn't have a lot of room to work around. They have full body torsos and tails! And arms.

Weaver_8
27th February 2011, 8:56 PM
Well, from what I've heard, they move different. So instead of giving them them different posses they gave them different movement, I assume.

Well that's good, I guess they wanted to use the whole full movement Pokemon thing. But like Snowyarticuno they had a lot of creative room to have them pose differently, why didn't they do that? They had so many things on them that could of been done differently. Oh well, always the third version.

CaptainBrain
27th February 2011, 8:58 PM
I like the genies, but I think that they should have had different poses. Maybe the third game will have different sprites with some creative poses.

travisjb90
27th February 2011, 9:04 PM
I like the Genie Trio. They are very cool. They are very interesting Pokemon. My favorite out of them is Thunderus, he is my favorite color and he has a cool type combo.

Dr. Leggs
27th February 2011, 9:08 PM
I'm not sure if Retaliate, Pluck and stuff like Shadow claw are effected or not though.

They aren't; none of those moves have secondary effects.

Tyrannotaur
27th February 2011, 9:17 PM
They aren't; none of those moves have secondary effects.

Well Pluck and Retaliate had Situational effects. I wasn't sure if those where included, but I guess they aren't so that works. Shadow Claw just has a High Crit Ratio. Wasn't sure if that was included under Secondary effects or not. Guess it isn't.

It's still worth giving Braviary Sheer Force over Keen eye. Even if it is just for Rock Slide.

-;248;

R_N
27th February 2011, 9:35 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/641-1.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/642.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/645.gif

As you can see, the animations do vary. But, honestly, the differences are fairly minimal over all, boiling down to how they bounce around the screen and if their tails bob

Dr. Leggs
27th February 2011, 9:35 PM
Well Pluck and Retaliate had Situational effects. I wasn't sure if those where included, but I they aren't so that works. Shadow Claw just has a Hit Crit Ratio. Wasn't sure if that was included under Secondary effects or not. Guess it isn't.

Yeah... It's kinda confusing but Pluck/Retaliate/Shadow Claw's effects are primary effects because they have a 100% chance of occurring if the criteria is fulfilled (i.e. if the opponent is holding a Berry or if a teammate has fainted that turn), as opposed to a secondary effect, like a stat drop or status infliction, that has a < 100% chance of happening, like Air Slash's flinch chance or Crush Claw's Defense drop. High critical hit ratios aren't considered secondary effects because the 'effect' of the move is the heightened ratio, not the actual critical hit itself. The heightened ratio is there 100% of the times the move is used, so it's a primary effect.

Sorry if that didn't make sense. XD

The Kami trio looking so similar is a bit irksome but seeing as the had ~1300 sprites to create and animate, many from scratch, I can understand why they'd rather have these three in identical poses as they have relatively intricate designs.

Cobalt_Latios
27th February 2011, 9:43 PM
Since I'm sure very few people are interested I'll put it in a spoiler.
I'm *drum roll* Australian, ethnically Scottish, Sri Lankan, Swedish, Portuguese and Dutch (50% Scottish, varying degrees of the others).
As for Japanese, I began learning it at primary school ~15 years ago and haven't quit yet, although the vast majority (>90%) of my learning has occurred in the last 3 years. To the extent that I am able, I am always listening, watching, or reading some Japanese throughout the day and use a program called 'Anki' to 'study'. To be perfectly honest (and this is my biggest 'secret') I've only actually spent two months in the country over three trips, over a 5 year period, although I'm moving there this year. Whether or not I am any good at the language is not for me to decide, however, that I am occasionally mistaken for a native speaker (most often on the phone) on first impression is encouraging to say the least.
That's rather interesting. I honestly would have never guessed. And you have quite the diverse background. Truly impressive.

Some pretty interesting trivial things here. There's a lot of firsts this gen.

Sinnoh's obnoxiously high number of Water-types killed me... I'm happy for a little Water break this time around.
Yeah, very few Fire types, glad they balanced it out this generation. We had maybe... 5 Fire types last gen; 3 of which were starters, 1 of them required a trade evolution, and the other is a legendary.

This time, a lot more options to go from.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/641-1.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/642.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/snowyarticuno/645.gif

As you can see, the animations do vary. But, honestly, the differences are fairly minimal over all, boiling down to how they bounce around the screen and if their tails bob
It's not significantly different, but at least their "tails" are different enough. Not too interested in this trio, but I wouldn't mind giving the Electric one a try.

/CL

Krookodile
27th February 2011, 9:45 PM
This is the 5th gen team i plan on using
Hydreigon Ability:Levitate
Dragon Pulse
Crunch
Flamethrower
Surf/Work up

Krookodile Ability:Moxie
Earthquake
Crunch
Outrage
Stone edge/Rock slide

Chandlure Ability:Flame body
Shadow ball
Flamethrower
Energy ball
Psychic

Volcarona Ability:Flame body
Flamethrower
Bug buzz
Hurricane
Butterfly dance/ Fire dance

Zebstrika Ability:Lightningrod
Wild charge
Overheat
Thrash
Volt change/Rock smash

Jellicent Ability:Water absorb/Cursed body
Surf
Shadow ball/Hex
Sludge bomb
Psychic/Will-o-wisp

Any advice on what to do? I don't like breeding so please just say level up and TM moves, I'd be willing to switch Jellicent for
Excadrill Ability:Sand force
Earthquake
Rock slide
Brick Break/Hone claws
X-scissor/Hone claws

Or Emboar Ability:Blaze
Flare blitz
Hammer arm
Head smash
Wild charge

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 10:21 PM
This is the 5th gen team i plan on using

*sigh* wrong thread...Please go here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=469356) instead...

Grei
27th February 2011, 10:32 PM
Well, I think it would look strange if a dual typed Pokémon becomes single typed?

Except, in this situation, it would make perfect sense. Plus, as Snowy pointed out, Shellmet could have turned from Bug/Steel into Bug/Dark when it evolved into a ninja.

Shadow-charizard
27th February 2011, 10:51 PM
It's sooo funny looking back and seeing all the djinn and vanniluxe hate on these forums only to come back and see people saying things like this

The Djinn trio as many have said before were a bit of a let down for me when I first saw them. But also like many others I find myself liking them now and hope to use them eventually

I'm not judging I'm just hoping that next time around people will give things time to grow on them :P

R_N
27th February 2011, 10:58 PM
It's sooo funny looking back and seeing all the djinn and vanniluxe hate on these forums only to come back and see people saying things like this

I'm not judging I'm just hoping that next time around people will give things time to grow on them :P

It's nice to dream, but the same thing happened with Gen 3 & Gen 4

Fandom never learns

Dracoste
27th February 2011, 11:03 PM

Same thing happens with the English names, when they get revealed, most people say they like the Japanes names more, and that they are unoriginal and stuff. But in the end, you hardly see anyone whining or complaining about them.

BW202
27th February 2011, 11:28 PM
One...more...week.

Here's my ten favorites and all the ones I dislike for this gen.

Favorites: Serperior, Zebstrika, Whimsicott, Bisharp, Vanillish, Emolga, Reshiram, Seismitoad, Amoonguss, Chandelure

Disliked: Watchog, Audino, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Cryogonal, Garbodor

I am so impressed with the Pokemon of this generation as you can see, I can't wait to get my hands on that game XD.

Hejiru
27th February 2011, 11:37 PM

Fandom never learns

There's a simple reason for that. The originals are always...

BETTERU

Nah, but seriously; I actually liked the English names. There were a couple I had trouble getting used to. I STILL say Gear, Wargle and Chillarmy no matter how hard I try; not that there's anything wrong with the English names, it's just force of habit.

CaptainBrain
27th February 2011, 11:52 PM
I wasn't around for most of the coverage period for this generation; I just wasn't feeling the franchise at the time. Because of that, I didn't get attached to the Japanese names of the Pokemon or places. There are some that could be better, but I think that the names are pretty good. (I didn't like the name Scraggy, but it grew on me this past week.)

I was here during the fourth gen coverage, and because of that I knew most of the Japanese names, and I still remember some of them. Occasionally I still say Nyaruma, Mukubird, and Dotaitos instead of Glameow, Staravia, and Torterra. I remember that there were some forum members that swore up and down that they would forever call Munchlax Gonbe and Turtwig Naetoru. In time they either gave up or were silenced, but the point still stands. The only reason that most people complain about the names are because they got attached to the Japanese names.

Also, I'm shocked that Gear did not stay the same in the English translations.

slowpoke child
28th February 2011, 12:12 AM
gamestops are havin midnight releases =] [in NY at least]

im def goin to that. bringin my jap game to piss ppl off while waiting X]

Dr. Leggs
28th February 2011, 12:35 AM
Just a little thing I noticed...

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/02/634Jiheddo.png/180px-634Jiheddo.png http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/66/Spr_5b_634.png

Zweilous has little neck-growths on each neck in its Sugimori art, but not in its sprite? A little tiny nitpick but I always enjoyed looking for those tiny discrepancies...

SasakiThePikachu
28th February 2011, 12:38 AM
This was my first ever time being present at each stage of the release of a game, and I've got to say, I was shocked at the level of fandom hate. Has it really been that bad all along? I can just about understand fans whinging that pokemon is running out of ideas and becoming unoriginal (however untrue that might be) because we're over ten years into it nowadays - but how could anyone say that back in 3rd gen? That's just stupid. Pokemon was barely getting started back in the times of Hoenn!

It just saddens me to think that everytime the new games have come out, there's been all this stress and hate over them, which gradually subsided as people realised they were acting like d*cks and would have to learn to live with what they were given.

Admittedly though, not everyone was hating. It was great to feel the love when people heard about Hyrdeigon and Haxorus etc. And I did only join Serebii forums in the first place in a spasm of joy upon seeing Zorua and Zoroark and knowing new games were imminent :D All in all it's been a fun ride...but I might wait until at least the announcement of the western release before I zip to Serebii and follow the progression of a new game again. Life is just too short for all the 'it's fake! 'it's real!' 'it looks too much like another pokemon!' silliness.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th February 2011, 1:04 AM
With the ... Kami Trio (is that what we're calling them?) there's going to be stuff on them in the next Nintendo Dream (like the stuff I translated last week) so maybe we'll get more of an idea of what they were thinking and so in regards to them.

WhiteForest
28th February 2011, 1:07 AM
I think reshisham is a bit too similar to arceus in terms of looks.

By the way - does anyone know how I can add 6 pokemon sprites for my upcoming team? I can't find any and even if I did I don't know how exactly to add them to my signature. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CaptainBrain
28th February 2011, 1:09 AM
With the ... Kami Trio (is that what we're calling them?) there's going to be stuff on them in the next Nintendo Dream (like the stuff I translated last week) so maybe we'll get more of an idea of what they were thinking and so in regards to them.
Good deal. I've found that once I've heard a Pokemon's 'story' that I like it better.

Maverik
28th February 2011, 1:13 AM
Also, I'm shocked that Gear did not stay the same in the English translations.

Its Pokedex classification is Gear Pokemon in the English games.

Gear the Gear Pokemon.

:/

Besides already sounding uncreative, it doesn't make sense. I prefer Klink.

BW202
28th February 2011, 1:26 AM
I think reshisham is a bit too similar to arceus in terms of looks.

I fail to see where you're coming from AT ALL.

Porygandrew
28th February 2011, 1:27 AM

Is it still canon if Word-of-God stuff isn't in the actual game/product? It just seems kind of skimpy to explain away things that can't be experienced.

CaptainBrain
28th February 2011, 1:28 AM
Its Pokedex classification is Gear Pokemon in the English games.

Gear the Gear Pokemon.

:/

Besides already sounding uncreative, it doesn't make sense. I prefer Klink.

Heh, good point. I had forgotten that detail.

Long live Klink!

EpicKitten
28th February 2011, 1:35 AM
Those weird gear pokemon were probably made by a bored person who had no ideas. They are so... Unoriginal.

Kokoromori
28th February 2011, 1:36 AM
I think...everyone is forgetting Magnemite and Magneton.
And Dugtrio, and Dodrio.

Blazios
28th February 2011, 1:37 AM
And Muk. And Electrode.

EpicKitten
I think...everyone is forgetting Magnemite and Magneton.
And Dugtrio, and Dodrio. Eh, they're not new, so people forget them. I thought that way about them when they first came out.

Tyrannotaur
Those weird gear pokemon were probably made by a bored person who had no ideas. They are so... Unoriginal.

How exactly are they unoriginal? Explain. They seem Original to me. We haven't had a gear pokemon yet. The line itself represent the progression of a simple machine (A gear) into a working complex machine. Seems pretty original to me.

-;248;

EpicKitten
28th February 2011, 1:39 AM
How exactly are they unoriginal? Explain. They seem Original to me. We haven't had a gear pokemon yet. The line itself represent the progression of a simple machine (A gear) into a working complex machine. Seems pretty original to me.

-;248;Most pokemon are not exactly like an actual object. They are modified at least a little bit.

Tyrannotaur
28th February 2011, 1:41 AM
Most pokemon are not exactly like an actual object. They are modified at least a little bit.

I don't know of any Gears that have faces in the real world. Do you? Still not a just enough reason for them being unoriginal. Unoriginal would be if they replicated the same idea again. Pidove for example would be unoriginal if not for the gender differences.

-;248;

Kokoromori
28th February 2011, 1:42 AM
Eh, they're not new, so people forget them. I thought that way about them when they first came out.

I'm referring to complaints about how Gear/Klank and everything else in this gen are 'unoriginal'

EpicKitten
28th February 2011, 1:48 AM
I don't know of any Gears that have faces in the real world. Do you? Still not a just enough reason for them being unoriginal. Unoriginal would be if they replicated the same idea again. Pidove for example would be unoriginal if not for the gender differences.

-;248;

I know gears don't have faces. I just don't think they put enough creativity into them. Just slapping a face onto a gear... Is that an original idea? It seems like they had no more ideas left so they had to use it as a last resort. Anyone could just slap a face onto a gear and call it a pokemon... Right? I mean, that's what you make it sound like.

Weaver_8
28th February 2011, 1:50 AM
Klink, Klang, and Klinklang are awesome. There is something about the highly mechanical appearance they have that I just love. Sure I love nature and everything, but I also see great beauty in the industrial part of the world. Did you all know the shiny versions of these Pokemon are based off of copper gears? Klinklang the eternal motion Pokemon!

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 1:55 AM

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/02/634Jiheddo.png/180px-634Jiheddo.png http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/66/Spr_5b_634.png

Zweilous has little neck-growths on each neck in its Sugimori art, but not in its sprite? A little tiny nitpick but I always enjoyed looking for those tiny discrepancies...

What do you mean? I can see them...

But if you wanna talk discrepancies, Torterra's tree is on different sides in the sprite and in its art.

This was my first ever time being present at each stage of the release of a game, and I've got to say, I was shocked at the level of fandom hate. Has it really been that bad all along? I can just about understand fans whinging that pokemon is running out of ideas and becoming unoriginal (however untrue that might be) because we're over ten years into it nowadays - but how could anyone say that back in 3rd gen? That's just stupid. Pokemon was barely getting started back in the times of Hoenn!

It just saddens me to think that everytime the new games have come out, there's been all this stress and hate over them, which gradually subsided as people realised they were acting like d*cks and would have to learn to live with what they were given.

Admittedly though, not everyone was hating. It was great to feel the love when people heard about Hyrdeigon and Haxorus etc. And I did only join Serebii forums in the first place in a spasm of joy upon seeing Zorua and Zoroark and knowing new games were imminent :D All in all it's been a fun ride...but I might wait until at least the announcement of the western release before I zip to Serebii and follow the progression of a new game again. Life is just too short for all the 'it's fake! 'it's real!' 'it looks too much like another pokemon!' silliness.

I was here for the DP reveals, and I've heard plenty of stories about the RS reveals, and yes, it's always been that way. It's really quite interesting to hear some of these things now... Let's see what I can remember:

-The starters were widely believed to be fake
-Chatot was almost universally believed to be pure Flying.
-Anyone who dared suggest the Lucario was not a legendary was laughed at.
-Kricketot was speculated to be a Volbeat/Illumise pre-evo.
-Mantyke, Buizel, and Chatot were all revealed as silohuettes first. Pretty much everyone knew that the Mantyke shadow was a Mantine pre-evo. There was some really cool speculation art of the bird silohuette. I remember somebody suggesting the Buizel silohuette was a grass-type eeveelution.
-Buizel was called "Buoysel" for a long time. (Buoy + Weasel) If you ask me they should have kept that spelling.
-There were rumors of Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters, which is probably why everyone is obsessed with that "triangle" now. I will admit the fake starters were awesome; I totally would've gone with the Dark cat.
-There were way more fakemon floating around in DP's reveal era than BW's, but BW had more "rumors".
-A lot of people (me included) thought Drapion was a Gligar evo.
-People said Electivire looked like a bug-eyed alien.
-No one ever suspected Cherrim had another forme.
-Giratina was spelled "Guillotina". As in a guillotine.
-Burmy was revealed in its Grass forme and no mention was ever made that it had other formes until we actually got the game. Many people speculated it was a Pinceo pre-evo.
-Glameow was leaked on some merchanise (along with Happiny). I think it was cups or something. Anyway, some speculated it was realted to toys, it's tail being a spring and its head being a boomerang.
-The reveal era was MUCH longer than this one. Munchlax was revealed, then like a year later (or something like that) Lucario was revealed.

Ahhh.... good times. I wonder what people will remember about this gen's reveal era. ..
-The "Smugleaf" meme.
-The "Luvdisc evo".
-The fake Corocoro scan that even Serebii said was real.
-The Pokebeach Victini/theatre incident.
-The starter evo fiasco. The hatred.... the forensic image analyis... the reverse-fake confession.... That's just legendary (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=11650722&postcount=8).
-The huge amount of rumors and Pokejungle's rise to fame.
-And Melkor's twitter leaks.

Oh and who could forget this (http://e621.net/data/d5/87/d587a1924e0ea952d09cf4c5d91d4637.png)?

Kreis
28th February 2011, 1:57 AM
I know gears don't have faces. I just don't think they put enough creativity into them. Just slapping a face onto a gear... Is that an original idea? It seems like they had no more ideas left so they had to use it as a last resort. Anyone could just slap a face onto a gear and call it a pokemon... Right? I mean, that's what you make it sound like.

When are people going to give up the "Nintendo is running out of ideas!" argument? People are getting paid to create ideas for Pokemon, endless ideas. There's even Pokemon created that have not been used yet. Did you know that Gastrodon was meant for 3rd generation, but instead it was used for the 4th? Simply because you believe that they're unoriginal and not to your standards, does not mean that they're out of ideas. Has it crossed your mind that perhaps the simplicity of Gear was done purposely? They could've added many, many things to it, but they purposely decided to stick to its simplicity. There are many Pokemon with the same simplicity as Gear has, and for you to single out this specific Pokemon line is ridiculous, considering the vast amount of simple Pokemon there are.

ForeverFlame
28th February 2011, 1:58 AM
Wow these new Pokemon suck. What's with Ditto? So unoriginal. And its name is awful. Magnemite is just a clone of Klink. Gamefreak has run out of ideas!

Hejiru
They are definately not running out of ideas. In a recent Nintendo Power interview, Sugimori said that they create about three times as many Pokemon than actually go in the game.

kaiser soze
does anyone have good ideas for a haxorus moveset? its kinda limited with normal and dragon level up moves. it does have earthquake as a tm, with rock slide, brick break, and aerial ace though.

Weaver_8
28th February 2011, 2:00 AM
Wow these new Pokemon suck. What's with Ditto? So unoriginal. And its name is awful. Magnemite is just a clone of Klink. Gamefreak has run out of ideas!

Oh! I see what you did there. Funny!

ForeverFlame
28th February 2011, 2:05 AM
They are definately not running out of ideas. In a recent Nintendo Power interview, Sugimori said that they create about three times as many Pokemon than actually go in the game.

And some of them are included in later generations, like Shellos (and arguably Munna - they at least came up with the idea in 1996, even if it wasn't designed until recently).

So you can't really say that Gamefreak's run out of ideas when some newer Pokemon were designed at the same time as Charizard and Pikachu.

Maverik
28th February 2011, 2:05 AM
People come up with bulls**t excuses to justify their opinion.

People don't like a Pokemon, they say they're running out of ideas although they very well know the truth.

It's all subjective.

KickAsh
28th February 2011, 2:09 AM
Yeah the notion that GameFreak is running out of ideas is insane. Even if they are having a bad day, developers can tap into the large quantity of fan art (asking for the artist's permission of course), or maybe brainstorm some eveeolutions or pre-evos. If they just do that, it would be pretty easy to churn out about 50 Pokemon in one day. And this is assuming the developers are inspiration-less losers, which they aren't.

Blueysicle
28th February 2011, 2:12 AM
-There were rumors of Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters, which is probably why everyone is obsessed with that "triangle" now. I will admit the fake starters were awesome; I totally would've gone with the Dark cat.

Funny thing with the Dark/Psychic/Fighting Starter rumor was that everyone started b****ing because changing the formula would make Pokemon Ruined FOREVER. Then when it was revealed that the Starters were Grass/Fire/Water as usual, they turned right around and whined that Game Freak was incapable of innovation.

And don't forget the reveal of the Physical/Special split. There was a lot of grief over that, too.

Relevant. (http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/New-Generation-5-Pokemon-165678644)

Tyrannotaur
28th February 2011, 2:13 AM

If Klink was a stand alone pokemon with no evolutions then you'd have a point. The idea behind Klink itself is that it is simple. It represents a simple machine. Once it gets to Klinklang it is way more complex, as it represents a complex machine. As other's have said anyone could slap a face on to a lump of clay and call it a pokemon and yet we have Ditto. Yet Ditto is more than meets the eye, and so is Klink. Having a simple design doesn't make something unoriginal. As I already said, if something is unoriginal its been done before.

-;248;

Dr. Leggs
28th February 2011, 2:15 AM
Yeah the notion that GameFreak is running out of ideas is insane. Even if they are having a bad day, developers can tap into the large quantity of fan art (asking for the artist's permission of course), or maybe brainstorm some eveeolutions or pre-evos. If they just do that, it would be pretty easy to churn out about 50 Pokemon in one day. And this is assuming the developers are inspiration-less losers, which they aren't.

Fan-art, Eeveelutions and pre-evolutions hardly seem like any sort of good batch of Pokemon.

ManhattanTheStarr
28th February 2011, 2:24 AM
Right, about GF "running out of ideas", I bet if the 5th generation started out FIRST and the 1st generation was beginning NOW, people would be all nostalgic about the 5th generation Pokemon, and everyone would hate the 1st generation Pokemon. People just don't like the new Pokemon because of nostalgia. Nothing else. T_T

Maverik
28th February 2011, 2:30 AM
I find it funny how people looove fakemon and congratulate the author and say how much they love the designs, but these people say the opposite for actual Pokemon designs.

Seriously, you see those fake starter vids on Youtube and the highest rated comment is always "these look better than the real ones" even when those fakemon look like s**t.

KickAsh
28th February 2011, 2:32 AM
Fan-art, Eeveelutions and pre-evolutions hardly seem like any sort of good batch of Pokemon.
Are you kidding me? Some fan-art is BA. A lot of it isn't, but a few Youtube videos will wield some incredible designs. And I realize pre-evos and eeveelutions wouldn't be anyone's idea of a great Pokemon, I was just pointing out that even if the developers ran out of ideas, they would have something to fall back on.

Maverik
28th February 2011, 2:38 AM
even if the developers ran out of ideas, they would have something to fall back on.

It is impossible for them to run out of ideas, don't even entertain the thought. They have books and books of sketches, for them to run out of ideas is ludicrous.

Not to mention, they don't need to fall back on anything. They have enough designs for perhaps another five generations and if they can't sustain it the franchise will end. Not happening though.

Kariachi
28th February 2011, 3:11 AM
Eeveelutions and pre-evolutions hardly seem like any sort of good batch of Pokemon.

No, not in themselves, but thinking of that could easily branch off into good batches of pokemon.

BW202
28th February 2011, 3:57 AM
That's why I can't stand youtube. People are so bull-headed there they are set on the fact that the first two generations are the best. Although I do agree that the 2nd generation does have some pretty cool Pokemon (third favorite overall) I can't stand half of the 1st gen because of the unoriginal designs. I mean Caterpie line, Rattata line, Ekans line, Zubat line, Diglett line, Geodude line, Ponyta line, Seel line, Grimer line, Krabby line, Voltorb line, Koffing line just to name some of them.

Sapphire Kirby
28th February 2011, 4:03 AM
Can't people just have oppinions without being yelled at? I like some real Pokemon, I don't like some real Pokemon. I like some fake Pokemon, I don't like some fake Pokemon. One's mans trash is another man's treasure, and oppinions are subjective.

XXD17
28th February 2011, 4:44 AM
Other Bug types are also really Good. A Swords Danced Scizor can decimate with Night Slash, Iron head and X-scissor. Super good type.

lol...that's actually how I use my durant...only it has hone claws, iron head, x-scissor, and stone edge...with the hustle ability...so after one hone claws, attack is pretty much off the charts with an accuracy plus to make up for the loss due to hustle..

Zweilous has little neck-growths on each neck in its Sugimori art, but not in its sprite? A little tiny nitpick but I always enjoyed looking for those tiny discrepancies
It's cool that you noticed too...if you look at hydreigon's sprite, its front sprit only shows teeth on its lower jaw while its back sprite only shows teeth on its upper jaw while the sugimori art shows teeth on both the upper and the lower jaws...also, the sugimori art for cryogonal completely lacks the ice moustache...

kaiser soze
28th February 2011, 5:33 AM
That's why I can't stand youtube. People are so bull-headed there they are set on the fact that the first two generations are the best. Although I do agree that the 2nd generation does have some pretty cool Pokemon (third favorite overall) I can't stand half of the 1st gen because of the unoriginal designs. I mean Caterpie line, Rattata line, Ekans line, Zubat line, Diglett line, Geodude line, Ponyta line, Seel line, Grimer line, Krabby line, Voltorb line, Koffing line just to name some of them.

I will agree that 1st gen had numerous design flaws, both in pokemon and game play. and while I usually disapprove of "remakes", I like beautifly better than butterfree. still I like most of them for nostalgia, but most (former) fans only know of the first generation

Mewtwo_soul
28th February 2011, 5:55 AM
Personally I have no qualms with any generation of Pokemon. People seem to complain on some generations about originality "First Gen" for instance, but realisticly they were just more simple concepts, not lacking originality. Considering I've never seen any monsters that look like Pokemon from another Breeder RPG that's saying something.

The later gens start to have imitations but in reality I like that idea. (Or counterparts) Looking at Vulpix and Zorua lines, same concept (Fox) but different takes on myth and legend.

Personally, I don't think there is a Pokemon I actually hate, I never felt the need to hate a design, sure disliking cool. I think people force themselvs to hate a design based on the need to put an emphasis on an opinion or just randomly divulge into finding things wrong with newer/older Pokemon.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the generation, sure some details of the designs (Hydra not being Poison type which is weird)and other such oddities, but overall more and more complex, which I for one enjoy seeing progression.

Cobalt_Latios
28th February 2011, 6:04 AM

Fandom never learns
If I can find this one hilarious post from this one forum involving the term "ruined forever"...

Ah, here it is (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=222222)

The joke is that they're finding the changes and listing them as ruined forever. It's purely sarcastic and making fun of the fans who just can't accept change.

Also... it still seems like some just don't get the idea of this...

I was here for the DP reveals, and I've heard plenty of stories about the RS reveals, and yes, it's always been that way.
Oh yes, those were fun :).

It's really quite interesting to hear some of these things now... Let's see what I can remember:

-Chatot was almost universally believed to be pure Flying.
I remember this. Then it was eventually revealed to be dual type.

-Anyone who dared suggest the Lucario was not a legendary was laughed at.
And then it was revealed to be non legendary once the dex numbers were revealed.

-Mantyke, Buizel, and Chatot were all revealed as silohuettes first. Pretty much everyone knew that the Mantyke shadow was a Mantine pre-evo. There was some really cool speculation art of the bird silohuette. I remember somebody suggesting the Buizel silohuette was a grass-type eeveelution.
I have to say though, many people got the whole "musical note" part right. There were some very accurate guesses from it.

Although, I have to say, Zoroark had some even more accurate guesses.

Two bits of irony here, 1) despite that outcome, this gen we did get an Elite 4 being Dark, Fighting, Psychic as well as ghost; 2) we did get a dark type cat by the name of "Purrloin" this gen. Interesting no?

-There were way more fakemon floating around in DP's reveal era than BW's, but BW had more "rumors".
I think that has to do with DP being unveiled around the DS's launch (2004), allowing for some time (2-3 years) for people to begin speculation. We literally had about a year between 4th and 5th gen; shortest one yet, I think.

-A lot of people (me included) thought Drapion was a Gligar evo.
I'm not sure I was, but I did think it being classified as a "changeable scorpion" did make me think of some odd things. Ironically, we still got a Gligar evo that gen anyways.

-Glameow was leaked on some merchanise (along with Happiny). I think it was cups or something. Anyway, some speculated it was realted to toys, it's tail being a spring and its head being a boomerang.
I honestly didn't think Glameow was real.

-The reveal era was MUCH longer than this one. Munchlax was revealed, then like a year later (or something like that) Lucario was revealed.
Followed immediately by Mime Jr. and Weavile. And remember the name reveal for those two via plushies? That was something.

Ahhh.... good times. I wonder what people will remember about this gen's reveal era. ..
-The "Smugleaf" meme.
This will transcend as the big one. There's another related to Snivy, but it's a tad nsfw for here (the text, not the image).

Oh and who could forget this (http://e621.net/data/d5/87/d587a1924e0ea952d09cf4c5d91d4637.png)?
And now... Tepig is the loner, while Oshawott and Snivy are the higher ups. Oh how the tides have changed.

I love this post :D.

Did you actually read the whole post? Twas being sarcastic.

And some of them are included in later generations, like Shellos (and arguably Munna - they at least came up with the idea in 1996, even if it wasn't designed until recently).

So you can't really say that Gamefreak's run out of ideas when some newer Pokemon were designed at the same time as Charizard and Pikachu.
I seriously blame nostalgia and the anime for this. I really do.

And don't forget the reveal of the Physical/Special split. There was a lot of grief over that, too.
That sure sent Horn Drill (a member here) for a loop when revealed. That was an interesting thread. A ton of members trying to explain to him why it was a good change.

Mainly because he didn't want the competitive battling side to be completely turned upside down.

Relevant. (http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/New-Generation-5-Pokemon-165678644)
That's simply amazing. I love it :).

That's why I can't stand youtube. People are so bull-headed there they are set on the fact that the first two generations are the best.
Yeah, some parts of youtube are alright, but you really have to take it with a grain of salt. You really do.

Although I do agree that the 2nd generation does have some pretty cool Pokemon (third favorite overall)
The only reason I love 2nd gen is because of Typhlosion and Lugia. Well... mostly Lugia. That will forever be my #1 favorite no matter what. So gen 2 tends to get my vote in that regard.

I can't stand half of the 1st gen because of the unoriginal designs. I mean Caterpie line, Rattata line, Ekans line, Zubat line, Diglett line, Geodude line, Ponyta line, Seel line, Grimer line, Krabby line, Voltorb line, Koffing line just to name some of them.
I'll be honest, there's only a small handful of gen 1 pokes I do like, and many others I just find plain and somewhat... "simple". Dragonair, Porgyon, Sandshrew/Slash and possibly Kabutops are the only ones that I actually do like. Sandshrew was mainly because I thought it was based on a Pangolin. I knew what that creature was back in '98! At 8 years old, I knew of some surprisingly obscure animals.

Another neat topic of discussion: 5th gen pokes you immediately liked, didn't like at first but grew onto you, seemed very strange but now like fairly well, and the ones that you simple aren't fond of the design/but don't mind, (same question as before)/just don't like.

So... me:
5th gen I immediately liked:
- Zoroark
- Snivy line
- Cofagrigus
- Gigalith
- Sandile line
- Galvantula line
- Elektross line
- Chandelure line
- Haxorus line
- Zekrom

Didn't like at first but grew onto me:
- Victini
- Tepig line
- Oshawott line
- Lillipup line
- Blitzle line
- Drillbur line
- Sewaddle line
- Petillil line (especially once I found out about that broken combo :D)
- Dwebble line
- Scraggy line
- Sigilyph
- Archeos
- Solosis line
- Ferrothorn
- KlinKlang
- Emolga
- Beeheeyem
- Cryogonal
- Stunfish
- Mienshao
- Golurk (mainly because this is a "real" golem)
- Bisharp
- Braviary
- Heatmor
- Hydreigon
- Volcarona
- Musketeer trio
- Reshiram
- Kyurem
- Genesect

Seemed strange but now like fairly well:
- Pan/Simisage
- Pan/Simisear
- Pidove line
- Timburr line
- Tympole line
- Venipede line
- Cottonee line
- Darumaka line
- Solosis line
- Karrablast
- Klink line
- Shelmet line
- Druddigon line

Aren't fond of/don't mind:
- Panpour/Simipour
- Munna/Musharna
- Woobat/Swoobat
- Audino
- Sawk/Throh
- Basculin
- Tirtouga
- Minccino/Cinccino
- Gothita line
- Ducklett/Swanna
- Deerling/Sawsbuck
- Frillish/Jellicent
- Alomomola
- Cubchoo/Beartic
- Bouffalant
- Vullaby/Mandibuzz
- Durant
- Kami trio
- Keldeo
- Meloetta

Aren't fond of/just don't like:
- Patrat/Wachog
- Vanillite line
- Trubbish/Garbodor
- Purrloin/Liepard

Not bad if you ask me.

edit: multiquote abuse is fun :D.

/CL

BW202
28th February 2011, 6:35 AM
^ what a post XD^

Ok, I was scared of being internet jumped at first, but now I'll come clean. I competely agree that the first generation basically sucks. There MIGHT be fifteen of them I think are awesome, that's the complete opposite of generation five. There is around eight or nine (5%) that I just don't like at all. There is around 60% that I really like the design or background of. The other 35% I'm either neutral about or I am just a little attracted to. Overall, very impressive Pokes (along with the other impressive things about this generation).

Wildfyre
28th February 2011, 6:39 AM
Ok probably quite a few questions here and I hope someone can atleast help me.

1. Where is the first place that you find Kibago

2. I had a Kenhorou but it did not have those pink things on its head are they female specific or what?

3. Where do you find Washibon or Wargle.

4. Where do you get Shibishirasu

5. Is it possible to get Shubarugo through some sort of in-game trade?

i can answer #2:

yes, only male kenhourous have masks.

Cobalt_Latios
28th February 2011, 6:50 AM
^ what a post XD^
I've made longer. HGSS discovery thread. Now that was a monster!

/CL

Chairman
28th February 2011, 7:18 AM
I think that a lot people didn't originally like them becuase they were different. Not many people like change.

R_N
28th February 2011, 7:21 AM
I think that a lot people didn't originally like them becuase they were different. Not many people like change.

I also suspect it was because they weren't what they wanted.
Samurott is the perfect example, here. Everyone 100% convinced it would be some bipedal samurai otter (generally like Dewott but bigger and more direct) and also it would be Water/Fighting (though people were convinced of that even before Dewott which was weird)

luxrayshock
28th February 2011, 7:23 AM
Samurott is the perfect example, here. Everyone 100% convinced it would be some bipedal samurai otter (generally like Dewott but bigger and more direct) and also it would be Water/Fighting (though people were convinced of that even before Dewott which was weird)

I was totally one of those people, and I actually wish it was. It's not that i don't like the real samurott, I just wish the bipedal part would have continued to the final evolution.

Kreis
28th February 2011, 7:27 AM

People thought that Shell Blade was undeniable proof that it was fighting type. Revenge, too? I can't remember. But I spent a good amount of time, along with others, convincing people that Shell Blade did not mean FIGHTING CONFIRMED.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th February 2011, 7:52 AM
Ok, I was scared of being internet jumped at first, but now I'll come clean. I competely agree that the first generation basically sucks. There MIGHT be fifteen of them I think are awesome, that's the complete opposite of generation five. There is around eight or nine (5%) that I just don't like at all. There is around 60% that I really like the design or background of. The other 35% I'm either neutral about or I am just a little attracted to. Overall, very impressive Pokes (along with the other impressive things about this generation).

Pretty much this, although I personally wouldn't say 'sucks' I think even GF hadn't realized the full potential for creativity in designs and type combos when they made Gen 1.

Pretty much this. I never understood why people were so convinced Oshawott would be a fighting type.

R_N
28th February 2011, 8:46 AM
Pretty much this, although I personally wouldn't say 'sucks' I think even GF hadn't realized the full potential for creativity in designs and type combos when they made Gen 1.

Pretty much this. I never understood why people were so convinced Oshawott would be a fighting type.

I think the biggest things were:
-He uses a shell like a sword!
-He gets Revenge!
-Dewott has samurai pants, Samurai=Fighting type!
-Dewott's japanese name has roots in samurai hierarchy or something, Samurai=Fighting Type!
-His attack is really high! (fyi, total bs on how his Special Attack is 8 points higher, what is up with that????)

Mario with Lasers
28th February 2011, 8:52 AM
...Not that it wouldn't be much cooler/better/useful if it were Water/Fighting, though...

And the worst part is that we got a pure-Water multi-bearded samurai pokémon and then our new Water/Fighting is a... neopet.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th February 2011, 8:54 AM
I think the biggest things were:
-He uses a shell like a sword!
-He gets Revenge!
-Dewott has samurai pants, Samurai=Fighting type!
-Dewott's japanese name has roots in samurai hierarchy or something, Samurai=Fighting Type!
-His attack is really high! (fyi, total bs on how his Special Attack is 8 points higher, what is up with that????)

Which is odd considering most Pre-5th Gen Fighting-Types are based on martial arts or hand-to-hand combat and not sword combat.

R_N
28th February 2011, 8:56 AM
...Not that it wouldn't be much cooler/better/useful if it were Water/Fighting, though...

And the worst part is that we got a pure-Water multi-bearded samurai pokémon and then our new Water/Fighting is a... neopet.

Chances are if it was fighting type it would have gotten a plethora of fighting type moves and a higher attack stat.
*looks at Emboar*
Ok well "some" fighting moves of various worth

Which is odd considering most Pre-5th Gen Fighting-Types are based on martial arts or hand-to-hand combat and not sword combat.

Even now that the 5th gen has been released, only Gallade really uses swords...and those are still technically part of his body. He's basically punching you with swordfists

I mean the Musketeers are based on sword play, but they use their horns (and hooves, presumably) which is a lot more, uh, "physical" than sword play.

Sabonea_Masukippa
28th February 2011, 9:02 AM
^The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Pignite and Emboar were made fighting type again to make Fire the 'easy' for the first three gyms.

Zhanton
28th February 2011, 9:39 AM
I must admit, I was one of the people who didn't think it would be a Water/Fighting starter, but instead a pure Water starter, but I made sure everyone knew I wished it would turn out Water/Ice :3

This pre-release has been fun. Back in the pre-release period of Gen IV, I just viewed the main site and as such wasn't involved in the discussion about this and that, but I wish I was hahaha.

Rentaline99
28th February 2011, 1:10 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but apparently the 6 month gap between the games localization are mainly due to just naming the Pokemon.
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/02/pokemon_director_talks_translations_names_and_3ds_ ideas

Dr. Leggs
28th February 2011, 2:27 PM
^ Huh, that's interesting... I wouldn't have guessed that.

But yeah, Samurott didn't really disappoint me the way it seemed to for many others. I wouldn't really want a bipedal Water/Fighting samurai otter thing... I still think the Oshawott line is one of the most creative Water-starter lines yet.

Wadeledge
28th February 2011, 2:55 PM
Samurott CAN walk on his hind legs though!

The top of the shell sections on his forelimbs can be removed and used as swords, he stands on his hind legs when he does this. They don't show it in the games but they do show it on a couple posters and those new T-Shirts that are coming out in Japan.

river-wolf
28th February 2011, 2:59 PM
But yeah, Samurott didn't really disappoint me the way it seemed to for many others. I wouldn't really want a bipedal Water/Fighting samurai otter thing... I still think the Oshawott line is one of the most creative Water-starter lines yet.

Yeah, it would have been cool if Samurott had been a different type combo, but I think it looks amazing as it is! Can't wait to have it on my team when I get Pokemon White!

Porygandrew
28th February 2011, 4:20 PM
^The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Pignite and Emboar were made fighting type again to make Fire the 'easy' for the first three gyms.

That doesn't make sense this generation.

1st gym is based on type weaknesses. No matter what starter you choose, you'll be weak to the gym. That's kinda what giving you a monkey is for.

2nd gym is normal-type. Grass/Fire/Water are all neutral to it. Fighting, given to any of them, would give that particular starter an advantage that it didn't already have. Heck, a grass/fighting type would become the 'easy' then.

3rd gym is bug-type. Fire is super-effective to it already but fighting is not very effective against bugs.

4th, going that far, being electric, the fighting-type doesn't help any of them. In fact, with 2 Emolga being part-flying, the fighting type would give a weakness that wasn't already present in the grass/water/fire types.

They don't show it in the games...
Which goes back to my argument of: If it can't be experienced in-game, can it really be called canon?

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 4:32 PM
That doesn't make sense this generation.

1st gym is based on type weaknesses. No matter what starter you choose, you'll be weak to the gym. That's kinda what giving you a monkey is for.

2nd gym is normal-type. Grass/Fire/Water are all neutral to it. Fighting, given to any of them, would give that particular starter an advantage that it didn't already have. Heck, a grass/fighting type would become the 'easy' then.

3rd gym is bug-type. Fire is super-effective to it already but fighting is not very effective against bugs.

4th, going that far, being electric, the fighting-type doesn't help any of them. In fact, with 2 Emolga being part-flying, the fighting type would give a weakness that wasn't already present in the grass/water/fire types.

I think the gym that could make the fire starter the "easy one" is the second one, from what I've heard, Lenora's Watchog is a complete nightmare.

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 4:35 PM
I think the gym that could make the fire starter the "easy one" is the second one, from what I've heard, Lenora's Watchog is a complete nightmare.

Whitney's Miltank all over again?!

http://www.esreality.com/files/placeimages/2010/79714-noooooooo.jpg

R_N
28th February 2011, 4:41 PM
Which goes back to my argument of: If it can't be experienced in-game, can it really be called canon?

Yes?
It's mentioned in the Pokedex. It's part of the design. But the animation might have been too complex, and wanted to focus on the quadruped "version" of it.

Missingno. Master
28th February 2011, 4:54 PM
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but apparently the 6 month gap between the games localization are mainly due to just naming the Pokemon.
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/02/pokemon_director_talks_translations_names_and_3ds_ ideas

Is that all? Why, they should visit Pokemon forums more often. We come up with beautiful names for new Pokemon within a week of learning about them! That'd shave a couple of months off right there.

CaptainCombusken
28th February 2011, 4:55 PM

Trust me, I've played it, and it is. The first turn she sends it in she uses Retaliate, pretty much, which seeing as you've just K.Od her Herdier the turn before, sucks. Especially if you've got Dewott and you're using Revenge... It's less about the high defence here, and more about the high attack and Confusion attacks (It has Confuse ray I think)

And it's not that the Fighting type means that Pignite is good against the first three gyms. It's that Pignite is (well, not the first). It has a type advantage against Lenora and a type advantage against Burgh.

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 4:59 PM
It's less about the high defence here, and more about the high attacks and Confusion attacks (It has Confuse ray I think)

Nope, worse, it has Hypnosis...lucky you get some of those berrys from Cheren that heals sleep. It also has leer, which lowers your defense, so it can deal more damage with it's Retaliate and Crunch, which also has a change to lower your defense.

The Fresh Water you get from the Fresh Water Dude can actually save your live when you haven't bought any healing items.

UStrainer40137
28th February 2011, 5:03 PM

Not quite, Whitney's Miltank abused attract and rollout (somewhat avoidable w/female starter pkmn) as Lenora's Watchog abuses putting opponents to sleep (I think she uses hypnosis, but I haven't faced her since Oct. 2010, so I may be off)

Missingno. Master
28th February 2011, 5:18 PM
Not quite, Whitney's Miltank abused attract and rollout (somewhat avoidable w/female starter pkmn) as Lenora's Watchog abuses putting opponents to sleep (I think she uses hypnosis, but I haven't faced her since Oct. 2010, so I may be off)

Ah, so it'd be more like facing Morty in that respect. OK, no biggie. Just make my Pignite hold a Chesto Berry and spam Arm Thrust.

R_N
28th February 2011, 5:19 PM

gonna borrow this for a sec, 'kay?

Is that all? Why, they should visit Pokemon forums more often. We come up with beautiful names for new Pokemon within a week of learning about them! That'd shave a couple of months off right there.

Weaver_8
28th February 2011, 5:23 PM

It also has Vengence that double in power when an ally is knocked out... and Lenora only sends it out when her first Pokemon is knocked out. So basicly it's kind of like revenge always doing double... I don't think it's quite like that but you get the main idea.

Zalman
28th February 2011, 5:25 PM
-The "Smugleaf" meme.
-The "Luvdisc evo".
-The starter evo fiasco. The hatred.... the forensic image analyis... the reverse-fake confession.... That's just legendary (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=11650722&postcount=8).

Just wanted to say that this is an awesome post. It shows the story of BW's reveal era in a great way. I remember when everyone hated "Mijumaru" and called it the worst starter ever. Oh man, good times indeed.

Cobalt_Latios
28th February 2011, 5:37 PM
Hypnosis, Retaliate, and Confuse Ray. A lethal combination.

Except instead of say... Rollout/Attract, it's now Confuse Ray/Retaliate/Hypnosis.

And you just defeat her Herdier. Not fun.

Trust me, I've played it, and it is. The first turn she sends it in she uses Retaliate, pretty much, which seeing as you've just K.Od her Herdier the turn before, sucks.
This. I pretty much is then capable of creaming your entire team. And by this point, I doubt you'd have much.

Especially if you've got Dewott and you're using Revenge... It's less about the high defence here, and more about the high attack and Confusion attacks (It has Confuse ray I think)
This.

/CL

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 5:41 PM

Except instead of say... Rollout/Attract, it's now Confuse Ray/Retaliate/Hypnosis.

This. I pretty much is then capable of creaming your entire team. And by this point, I doubt you'd have much.

/CL

No, it got:(:

Hypnosis...lucky you get some of those berrys from Cheren that heals sleep. It also has leer, which lowers your defense, so it can deal more damage with it's Retaliate and Crunch, which also has a change to lower your defense.

I think Lerona's Watchog becomes a whole new caterogy on tough/annoying Pokémon.

R_N
28th February 2011, 5:49 PM
Of course, there's a patch of grass right next to the town where you could get a Timburr, Sawk, or Throh.

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 5:53 PM
Of course, there's a patch of grass right next to the town where you could get a Timburr, Sawk, or Throh.

*facepalm*
How the heck could I forgot those... Still, I think even with them, Lenora will be tough. She will just put them to sleep and lower their defense over and over and over and...

Pyrax
28th February 2011, 5:54 PM
It also has Vengence that double in power when an ally is knocked out... and Lenora only sends it out when her first Pokemon is knocked out.

Unless you get a pokémon with roar or whirlwind and force her to switch out Herdier with Watchog.
Once Watchog is done, all you have to worry about is Herdier.
What's the earliest you can get something with roar/whirlwind?

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 5:59 PM
What's the earliest you can get something with roar/whirlwind?

Roar:Lilipup lvl. 20

So that strategy is not entirely impossible. but you only lowered the max damage of retaliant, not all the other things that makes it awfully hard...

Edit: never mind this strategy, the closest you can get to a Pokémon with Roar is a lvl 26 Lilipup

MagnetonNr1
28th February 2011, 6:02 PM

Oh, boy. I'm sooo going to love this fight. >.>
Hypnosis... seriously. One of the most annoying attacks ever. And then combined with Confuse Ray... D:

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 6:11 PM
Couldn't you just catch a Lillipup with Vital Spirit?

Roar:Lilipup lvl. 20

So that strategy is not entirely impossible. but you only lowered the max damage of retaliant, not all the other things that makes it awfully hard...

26, actually.

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 6:27 PM
Couldn't you just catch a Lillipup with Vital Spirit?

26, actually.

Oh yeah...I misread it, I guess^-^'...

I did saw a walkthrough from someone who beated Lenora with only using a Servine actually. So you don't necesary need to use a fighting type Pokémon.

stenli
28th February 2011, 6:47 PM

...and what they get in 6 months are Ducklett, Deerling, and co.
How unfezant...

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 7:05 PM
^
They should throh away some of the bad names...

Lorde
28th February 2011, 7:10 PM
Lenora's Watchog was a nightmare to beat in the games. Well, all Watchog in general are tricky in battle, but her Watchog is in the top percentage of Watchog. I still don't remember how I won that battle, but I did, somehow. Maybe I landed a critical hit or something. I was using Dewott and it was my last Pokemon. It had defeated Herdier with some help from Pidove and Blitzle, but it had to battle alone for the most part. Scary stuff.

Blazios
28th February 2011, 7:12 PM
^

Yeah, some of these names Sawk...

Wait, that only works with a British accent.

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 7:16 PM
^

Fan names are often serperior. But NOA feels they have to take a boldore approach, and the names come out soundling like trubbish. Any more of this and fans will demand the localizers be tossed in the klink. Then they'll be tranquill again and golurk some more.

The Eleventh
28th February 2011, 7:19 PM
I've now seen two different Black and White adverts on TV! One was extremely short, and by the time I had heard the music and turned around, it was talking about Victini. Again. With the "you can only catch it until April 10th" crap. The second one was longer, but it didn't really show gameplay, only the boxes and the limited edition DSi consoles.

CaptainCombusken
28th February 2011, 7:23 PM
Just checked and the Watchog doesn't have Confuse Ray.

Crunch
Retaliate
Hypnosis
Leer

And I would definitely not say "Oh if you Roar/Whirlwind the Watchog you're fine" because the Herdier ALSO has Retaliate...

And yeah, I know about Timburr... but he was also at the back of my mind. But he's Gonna be one useful Pokemon... Who I will promptly dump once I get to the desert... actually I'll probably dump him much later when I get the little cute Joltik.
Why does it have to be so hard this gen? The Fighting types are pretty much all so good!
Conkeldurr
Mienshao
Scrafty
The Musketeers are super awesome.
Heck, even Emboar is pretty sweet.

Don't like Throh and Sawk... Both their names ans their designs don't appeal to me.

No it doesn't. I'm British, and with a British accent that does NOT work. Maybe with a REALLY posh person. But that's ridiculously stereotypical.

Fan names are often serperior. But NOA feels they have to take a boldore approach, and the names come out soundling like trubbish. Any more of this and fans will demand the localizers be tossed in the klink. Then they'll be tranquill again and golurk some more.
Puns, puns, puns. You gotta love Puns! XD

aggronFTW
28th February 2011, 7:24 PM

Now, now, let's not Pignite a terrible pun conversation.

Blazios
28th February 2011, 7:26 PM
I've now seen two different Black and White adverts on TV! One was extremely short, and by the time I had heard the music and turned around, it was talking about Victini. Again. With the "you can only catch it until April 10th" crap. The second one was longer, but it didn't really show gameplay, only the boxes and the limited edition DSi consoles.

Hey, at least they talked about the game, unlike the British HG/SS which ONLY SHOWED FOOTAGE FROM THE ORIGINAL GOLD AND SILVER.

Now, now, let's not Pignite a terrible pun conversation.

Audino just how bad that pun was.

aggronFTW
28th February 2011, 7:32 PM
Audino just how bad that pun was.

Youre just jealous because it was serperior to yours ;)

Blazios
28th February 2011, 7:36 PM
Youre just jealous because it was serperior to yours ;)

I'm not Zweilous! You're not too Bisharp, are you?

HURRY UP AND ARRIVE, GAME.

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 7:38 PM
^You need to bisharp to get the good puns 'Serperior' was taken. That pun should (samu)rott in the trubbish. Now lets stop this before we run lampent with puns and they get scraggy.

aggronFTW
28th February 2011, 7:43 PM
I'm not Zweilous! You're not too Bisharp, are you?

HURRY UP AND ARRIVE, GAME.

Dont use 2 names man! You don't Leavanny for me....

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 7:45 PM
Just checked and the Watchog doesn't have Confuse Ray.

Crunch
Retaliate
Hypnosis
Leer

And I would definitely not say "Oh if you Roar/Whirlwind the Watchog you're fine" because the Herdier ALSO has Retaliate...

Did, like, everyone overread my post...oh well... Oh so the little doggie also has Retaliate, wasn't planning to use that Roar technic anyway actually.

I've a saw different version here, they were going to give it away as a download somewhere on the 5th and said you could only get it there, helooooo, we've got Wi-Fi too you know.
I think I saw a total of 6 different ads, one gave full information about the two new battle styles.
The fists one that aired only said "Forget everything you know. a new adventure will begin. 4th March" and you could see N getting crowned, they didn't mentioned Pokémon, so that ad was kinda misterious, I however did know it was about Pokémon. All other ads are kinda awesome with that background music.

Oh, and they said they have a "quiz" to win the games with the special DSi's. I took the "quiz", a five year old could even answer all those questions, well, what else do you expect from DisneyXD...

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 7:49 PM
Dont use 2 names man! You don't Leavanny for me....

I deino, I think there's plenty left. This has been Lopunny but your getting whimsicott and emboaring me to death, I might just fraxure my hand writing. A purrloin steak would help recover

Lucas.G
28th February 2011, 8:03 PM
I have decided to buy White but I need to know others opinion, which game do u recomend me, just to let u know I am going to choose Tepig

aggronFTW
28th February 2011, 8:04 PM
I deino, I think there's plenty left. This has been Lopunny but your getting whimsicott and emboaring me to death, I might just fraxure my hand writing. A purrloin steak would help recover

I think I've herdier that one before.
I think we should stop with these puns now, they aren't really Servine any purpose and they were only really funny Durant the start of the trend. Now they're all pretty rufflet.

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 8:08 PM
I have decided to buy White but I need to know others opinion, which game do u recomend me, just to let u know I am going to choose Tepig

White has:
Zekrom
White Forrest
Iris
Petilil line
Solosis line
Rufflet line
Thundurus

Black has:
Reshiram
Black City
Drayden
Cottonee line
Gothita line
Vullaby line
Tornadus

These are the Versions exclusive features/Pokémon, hope this will help you choose.

The Oncoming Storm
28th February 2011, 8:17 PM

There is a thread devoted to this heres the link.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=485241&page=27

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 8:18 PM
I think I've herdier that one before.
I think we should stop with these puns now, they aren't really Servine any purpose and they were only really funny Durant the start of the trend. Now they're all pretty rufflet.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c0/Ani132MS.png

Anyway as to wether you get Black or White, it really depends on your personal preferences. White has White forest (for catchin Pokemon) and Black has Black city (for battling)

xxDUNE
28th February 2011, 8:27 PM
So I'm looking at Carracosta for my team. What would be the better ability to go for, Sturdy or Solid Rock?

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 8:47 PM
^
Solid Rock. Sturdy rarely has use

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 9:02 PM
^
Solid Rock. Sturdy rarely has use

Yeah, but Sturdy is WAY more useful now.

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 9:07 PM
^
Still, Have a resistant to super effective attacks is better than being immune to OHKO

Blazios
28th February 2011, 9:10 PM
^
Still, Have a resistant to super effective attacks is better than being immune to OHKO

Yeah, but a lot of SE attacks will still OHKO and Sturdy will prevent that. Do you think Solid Rock will help against a Leaf Blade?

The Oncoming Storm
28th February 2011, 9:11 PM
So I'm looking at Carracosta for my team. What would be the better ability to go for, Sturdy or Solid Rock?

Im getting a solid rock ability one. All the fighting types this gen got me worried.

Hejiru
28th February 2011, 9:17 PM
I'm just saying, if you get hit by a Super Effective attack, chances are you'll be OHKO'd. So Sturdy protects too. Of course, then if you get hit by a SE attack without full health you're screwed... but I dunno how much Solid Rock will help against strong SE attacks.

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 9:27 PM
Yeah, but a lot of SE attacks will still OHKO and Sturdy will prevent that. Do you think Solid Rock will help against a Leaf Blade?
Carracosta has awesome defense so yeah ^_^
But I do see your point, a lot of SE attacks probably will OHKO.

R_N
28th February 2011, 9:29 PM
I'm just saying, if you get hit by a Super Effective attack, chances are you'll be OHKO'd. So Sturdy protects too. Of course, then if you get hit by a SE attack without full health you're screwed... but I dunno how much Solid Rock will help against strong SE attacks.

I think you're overestimating these super effective strikes
He is only 2x weak to Electric, Fighting, and Ground, so now they're at a more manageable 1.5x. Ground & Fighting moves generally fall on the physical spectrum, so he can take them even better thanks to his rockin' defense.

x4 weak to grass is a bother, even when lowered to x3 weakness, though. But lol grass

Special attacks overall are kind of a problem, but ideally you won't be using Carracosta against most electric or grass types.

Still a better user than, say, Camerupt or Rhyperior, whose water weakness spells death forever

Aurath8
28th February 2011, 9:29 PM

Solid Rock essentially only makes you weak to grass. All others you can either soak up wih your high defence and Curse. Also, you'd be incredibly stupid to try and use any water/rock, water/ground or Rock/Ground to take down a grass type. Especially one that can only use Ice Beam from its weaker special stat to hit them supereffectively.
Carracosta has six weaknesses with Sturdy which only works at full HP. It wont save you from repeated hits without spamming potions.

Dracoste
28th February 2011, 9:33 PM
Carracosta has awesome defense so yeah ^_^
But I do see your point, a lot of SE attacks probably will OHKO.

OHKO=One Hit Knock Out. that means with one move, not multiple ones^_^

I personally would choose the solid rock one. But grass moves will sure damage it a lot, just try to avoid them.

The Oncoming Storm
28th February 2011, 9:40 PM
Yeah solid rock works with awesome defenses meaning you can take that fighting move and retaliate for teh win.

xxDUNE
28th February 2011, 9:47 PM
Alright sweet. I was thinking Solid Rock was the better one. I wouldn't be using him against grass or anything. That's silly. Just thinking about it more in case someone has a fighting move on a Pokemon I wouldn't expect it from or something.

Grey Wind
28th February 2011, 9:54 PM
OHKO=One Hit Knock Out. that means with one move, not multiple ones^_^

I personally would choose the solid rock one. But grass moves will sure damage it a lot, just try to avoid them.
I meant most SE moves would OHKO

Dr. Leggs
28th February 2011, 10:16 PM
Solid Rock is probably better overall, though Sturdy can be used a little better on Shell Break sets and whatnot.

XXD17
1st March 2011, 12:29 AM
Solid Rock is probably better overall, though Sturdy can be used a little better on Shell Break sets and whatnot.

I prefer to run shell break on carracosta so sturdy is my preferred choice but only if you decide to lead with it...

SasakiThePikachu
1st March 2011, 12:58 AM
O HELL, just realised I've spent so long angsting over which pokemon shall be on my team I forgot to plan which natures they should have!! *panics and runs around*

Will Tirtouga's nature be defined from the time the fossil is handed over, or can you SR picking up the fossil to get the desired nature?

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 2:35 AM
-The "Smugleaf" meme.
I still maintain that Smugleaf wouldn't have been a bad choice for its English name.

-The "Luvdisc evo".
If it's a pink heart-shaped fish that's pure Water-type, they have no business not making it evolve from Luvdisc! GF really trolled us with that one.

Ahhh, yeah, good times. That fake football fish thing had started to grow on me as well.

Don't forget he also revealed Patrat that time.

I loved those evos from the start, especially Pignite. And I believed Serebii from the start. His word that they were real was all the proof I needed. And really, it should have been all the proof anybody needed.

Pokejungle's still an awesome site.

Initially I hadn't been sure what to think about them, but once the existance of Cottonee and Petilil were later confirmed by CoroCoro, I believed them 100%.

Good times, yeah...

R_N
1st March 2011, 2:52 AM
I still maintain that Smugleaf wouldn't have been a bad choice for its English name.

And this is going to be one of many pieces of evidence as to why the fandom should generally be ignored forever by GameFreak

stenli
1st March 2011, 2:54 AM
I think Solid Rock is better if you use Carracosta in-game as there isnt that much probability of NPC's attack will OHKO him. « OK, this is just a theory, I havent play the game. :P

But competitively, the omnipresence of Ground, Fighting, Electric, and Grass moves make Sturdy worth using.

R_N
1st March 2011, 2:56 AM
I think Solid Rock is better if you use Carracosta in-game as there isnt that much probability of NPC's attack will OHKO him. « OK, this is just a theory, I havent play the game. :P

But competitively, the omnipresence of Ground, Fighting, Electric, and Grass moves make Sturdy worth using.

And the equal presence of priority makes Sturdy worthless.

Weaver_8
1st March 2011, 2:57 AM
And this is going to be one of many pieces of evidence as to why the fandom should generally be ignored forever by GameFreak

Ouch, that hurt. Are you saying that someone at Gamefreak will show that very post to the rest of the group and swear off looking into the fandom for the rest of the franchise's existence?

Our opinions do something :D ... wait.

BCVM22
1st March 2011, 2:59 AM
Are you saying that someone at Gamefreak will show that very post to the rest of the group and swear off looking into the fandom for the rest of the franchise's existence?

Of course not.

That would imply, falsely, that they ever looked into the fandom in the first place. Or ever intend to do so in the future.

Roxas013
1st March 2011, 3:04 AM
i still havent decide samurotts nature. with the team im planning it will either b a special sweeper or a mixed sweeper any suggestions

Weaver_8
1st March 2011, 3:06 AM
Of course not.

That would imply, falsely, that they ever looked into the fandom in the first place. Or ever intend to do so in the future.

Well I do understand that people in areas such as Gamefreak don't look into their fandoms too severely for legal reasons. They may take things like emails but I don't think they actually look into such things like fan ideas. That makes complete sense in all honesty. I keep hearing the same things from writers too that they don't really look into their fandom besides letters sent to them.

Peace,

stenli
1st March 2011, 3:06 AM
And the equal presence of priority makes Sturdy worthless.

Well, just switch then .__.

Sabonea_Masukippa
1st March 2011, 3:07 AM
I loved those evos from the start, especially Pignite. And I believed Serebii from the start. His word that they were real was all the proof I needed. And really, it should have been all the proof anybody needed.

Initially I hadn't been sure what to think about them, but once the existance of Cottonee and Petilil were later confirmed by CoroCoro, I believed them 100%.

Even though Serebii knew the starters were real (and had told me they were), we both had no idea if the rest of Melkor's stuff was real at first (or if Serebii did, he didn't let on). When I opened up those Corocoro scans and saw Roggenrolla match Hiro's drawings almost exactly I punched the air and did a jig. Of course, that still didn't stop parts of the fandom from denying the starters were real for ages after that.

Well I do understand that people in areas such as Gamefreak don't look into their fandoms too severely for legal reasons. They may take things like emails but I don't think they actually look into such things like fan ideas. That makes complete sense in all honesty. I keep hearing the same things from writers too that they don't really look into their fandom besides letters sent to them.

Peace,

It's not just legal reasons. Only a minority of fans are 'active' enough to write letters, make websites or use forums. Listening to their opinions risks alienating the rest of the people who buy your product. Also, fans have no idea what they (or even the majority) want but think that they do.

R_N
1st March 2011, 3:13 AM
And I doubt GameFreak actually pays attention to or much less actually gets letters/e-mails from the fandom. Probably several dozen different checks and people and stations and so on that would never reach them.

Weaver_8
1st March 2011, 3:21 AM
And I doubt GameFreak actually pays attention to or much less actually gets letters/e-mails from the fandom. Probably several dozen different checks and people and stations and so on that would never reach them.

I just meant that they may at least view the letters sent in, if they get them seeing as they may not as you have brought up. I don't think they read most of them, I just think the letters may be one of the only connections they have with the fandoms views. Sorry if I sounded antagonistic in my earlier post.

BW202
1st March 2011, 3:26 AM

I am so glad that wasn't the real name, I mean it doesn't even reference the fact it's a snake! Imo, Snivy is so much better because it describes the two main parts of Snivy.

Cobalt_Latios
1st March 2011, 3:31 AM
That was actually pretty cool.

And yeah, I know about Timburr... but he was also at the back of my mind. But he's Gonna be one useful Pokemon... Who I will promptly dump once I get to the desert... actually I'll probably dump him much later when I get the little cute Joltik.
Why does it have to be so hard this gen? The Fighting types are pretty much all so good!
Conkeldurr
Mienshao
Scrafty
The Musketeers are super awesome.
Heck, even Emboar is pretty sweet.
Even though I'm not very fond of Conkeldurr, he still doesn't look half bad, and still gets some very good attacks. And apparently, he even has some very good defence.

Don't like Throh and Sawk... Both their names ans their designs don't appeal to me.
Neither do I. But I don't mind them. They're like two different martial arts styles. Not sure if it matters though.

Anyways, towards this whole "Sturdy" debate...

level 1 Aron with Sturdy and Endeavor sweeping an entire team (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxvmtCwAZY)

/CL

R_N
1st March 2011, 3:57 AM
That was actually pretty cool.

Even though I'm not very fond of Conkeldurr, he still doesn't look half bad, and still gets some very good attacks. And apparently, he even has some very good defence.

Neither do I. But I don't mind them. They're like two different martial arts styles. Not sure if it matters though.

Anyways, towards this whole "Sturdy" debate...

level 1 Aron with Sturdy and Endeavor sweeping an entire team (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxvmtCwAZY)

/CL

Aron is pretty much the only one that can actually pull this off, by the way, and only with Sandstorm. And only if the opponent lacks multi-hit & status.
And ghosts

MetalFlygon08
1st March 2011, 4:07 AM
Doesn't Sturdy Pain Split Lv1 Nosepass do that as well?

XXD17
1st March 2011, 4:28 AM
Solid Rock essentially only makes you weak to grass. All others you can either soak up wih your high defence and Curse. Also, you'd be incredibly stupid to try and use any water/rock, water/ground or Rock/Ground to take down a grass type. Especially one that can only use Ice Beam from its weaker special stat to hit them supereffectively.
Carracosta has six weaknesses with Sturdy which only works at full HP. It wont save you from repeated hits without spamming potions.

considering that serperior and ferrothorn are going to be very prevalent in the metagame, that grass weakness is a very big deal...I mean look at charizard, it's a great pokemon made useless by stealth rock...

Mr.Munchlax
1st March 2011, 4:49 AM
I know this has been brushed upon before, but is Mandibuzz a good pokemon to have on your team? I am still thinking about Braviary as my flying type but I', looking at Mandibuzz's picture from it's TCG card and I think it's kind of cool and as much as I love Braviary, it does have more type resistancies and it can also use moves like Brave Bird and Whirlwind, while it can also use good moves like mirror move and dark pulse:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2b/BarujiinaBlackCollection37.jpg

BCVM22
1st March 2011, 4:54 AM
Please spoiler images that large. It's unnecessary to have them sitting out like that.

luxrayshock
1st March 2011, 4:56 AM
Before seeing that picture I never really payed any attention to the spike-bone thing on mandibuzz's waist. I actually like it a lot more because of this.

XXD17
1st March 2011, 4:57 AM
Well mandibuzz and braviary are near complete opposites, Mandibuzz is all female while braviary is all male; braviary is all attack, mandibuzz is all defense; mandibuzz is fairly slow and braviary is fairly fast...they both look fairly cool....if you want a wall go with the bone-wearing diva, if you want a sweeper, go with the warbonnet-clad warrior...

Mr.Munchlax
1st March 2011, 4:59 AM
Before seeing that picture I never really payed any attention to the spike-bone thing on mandibuzz's waist. I actually like it a lot more because of this.

Exactly, I know that Mandibuzz isn't as physically strong as Braviary, but I am sure that there are ways around it. After looking at the picture I'm really re-considering having Mandibuzz as my flying type. Besides, it's been ages since I got a dark type

The only thing is my team as of right now consists of Serperior, Watchog, Crustle, & Cyndaquil (don't ask). I'm also debating on Jellicent, Simipour, or Carracosta for my water type so would Mandibuzz balance out?

Dr. Leggs
1st March 2011, 5:00 AM
Mandibuzz is great for stalling, with Toxic/Roost/Sky Drop/Whirlwind and so forth. It really doesn't have the offenses to sweep, though (STAB Brave Bird isn't doing much off of a Base 55 Attack).

XXD17
1st March 2011, 5:16 AM
Mandibuzz is great for stalling, with Toxic/Roost/Sky Drop/Whirlwind and so forth. It really doesn't have the offenses to sweep, though (STAB Brave Bird isn't doing much off of a Base 55 Attack).

actually, mandibuzz can't learn sky drop :( event though it would improve it greatly...

Mr.Munchlax
1st March 2011, 5:22 AM
actually, mandibuzz can't learn sky drop :( event though it would improve it greatly...

So then I guess Mandibuzz would still be a stupid choice. It's just that I'm trygin to decide between Vullaby and Rufflet based on which if the 2 has the most character

XXD17
1st March 2011, 5:22 AM
Exactly, I know that Mandibuzz isn't as physically strong as Braviary, but I am sure that there are ways around it. After looking at the picture I'm really re-considering having Mandibuzz as my flying type. Besides, it's been ages since I got a dark type

The only thing is my team as of right now consists of Serperior, Watchog, Crustle, & Cyndaquil (don't ask). I'm also debating on Jellicent, Simipour, or Carracosta for my water type so would Mandibuzz balance out?

mandibuzz is highly defense oriented so it won't be hitting hard and you won't be getting it until right before victory road...if you just like it then any pokemon is good on a team, heck a team of six stunfisk is fine if you are obsessed with them or something...anyways, it seems like you need sweeper considering serperior and watchog can't really hit hard and crustle is more of a wall, unless you want shell break, mandibuzz is fine but I would go with a faster sweeper like braviary but I'm weird and love pokemon that are fast and can hit hard...as for the waters, I would suggest jellicent...hope this was helpful and I also think this question may belong in another thread...

Mario with Lasers
1st March 2011, 5:37 AM
Of course not.

Say what? Of course they do.

When they want to have a laugh.

Or get cancer.

Mewtwo_soul
1st March 2011, 10:36 AM
I am so glad that wasn't the real name, I mean it doesn't even reference the fact it's a snake! Imo, Snivy is so much better because it describes the two main parts of Snivy.

I disagree. The mythos of the Garden of Eden had a very "smug" snake that manipulated Adam and Eve (before being thrown out.) I personally thought it was a perfect name.

2c

RitterCat
1st March 2011, 12:06 PM
I disagree. The mythos of the Garden of Eden had a very "smug" snake that manipulated Adam and Eve (before being thrown out.) I personally thought it was a perfect name.

2c

I thought the Snivy design debate had FINALLY ended

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 1:47 PM
I thought the Snivy design debate had FINALLY ended

This is the internet. Nothing ever ends.

bleeding-chocobo
1st March 2011, 1:54 PM
Do you guys think Simisage or Sawsbuck would better as a grass-type? Just asking, b/c my team plan is gonna be Emboar / Carracosta / Cofagrigus / Durant / and possibly Scolipede.

Edit: Rank Up!

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 1:59 PM
Do you guys think Simisage or Sawsbuck would better as a grass-type? Just asking, b/c my team plan is gonna be Emboar / Carracosta / Cofagrigus / Durant / and possibly Scolipede.

Edit: Rank Up!

They both have nice stats, but I personally prefer Simisage, and not just because of the resemblence to Elvis either. Although that doesn't exactly hurt (and admittedly is exactly why I chose it for my team in Black version)...

streetlightdsb
1st March 2011, 2:00 PM

Agreed. The only fan name, and I mean only, that I've ever thought was good, was someone suggesting Vivaldeer for Deerling. That one was clever.

EDIT: Explanation-should have put this in the first place... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Seasons_(Vivaldi))

Hejiru
1st March 2011, 2:04 PM
Agreed. The only fan name, and I mean only, that I've ever thought was good, was someone suggesting Vivaldeer for Deerling. That one was clever.

Vivaldeer? Where does the "vival" come from?

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 2:05 PM

Apparently, a few more fan-made Pokemon names turned out to be good enough for them. Such as Klang, Maractus, Sandile, and those are just the ones I came up with! Not to mention, they also went with Pignite, albeit not for the Pokemon it was for.

Hejiru
1st March 2011, 2:21 PM
Not to sound conceited, but I wish they'd have chosen some of my names (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=11708523&postcount=2118). (Well, only in a couple cases; I recognize a lot of mine sucked.) But I think Talpidig and Talpidrill were much better names than Drilbur and Excadrill. And I still prefer Vulchick, Magmoth and Pyrosa over their real names. I thought those were good...

And many people came up with the name Zapra or Zebolt for Blitzle. I do love the name Blitzle, but Zebstrika is just stupid. They easily could've gone with one of those.

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 2:46 PM

The fan name I liked the most of it was "Fawna" a mix between "fawn" and "fauna". But I don't really have any trouble with Deerling actually, and it evolves into Sawsbuck, which just haves a simply brilliant name.

SasakiThePikachu
1st March 2011, 2:53 PM
The fan name I liked the most of it was "Fawna" a mix between "fawn" and "fauna". But I don't really have any trouble with Deerling actually, and it evolves into Sawsbuck, which just haves a simply brilliant name.

Fawna made sense and was quite pretty too, but Deerling has grown on me.

Not to sound dumb or anything, but I don't get 'Vivaldeer' at all...

streetlightdsb
1st March 2011, 2:55 PM
Vivaldeer? Where does the "vival" come from?
Here's your answer! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Seasons_(Vivaldi))

Apparently, a few more fan-made Pokemon names turned out to be good enough for them. Such as Klang, Maractus, Sandile, and those are just the ones I came up with! Not to mention, they also went with Pignite, albeit not for the Pokemon it was for.
Blehh I didn't say what I meant properly, stupid street. I was thinking more, the only fan name that I thought was better than the actual name they got. My bad.

Not to sound conceited, but I wish they'd have chosen some of my names (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=11708523&postcount=2118). (Well, only in a couple cases; I recognize a lot of mine sucked.) But I think Talpidig and Talpidrill were much better names than Drilbur and Excadrill. And I still prefer Vulchick, Magmoth and Pyrosa over their real names. I thought those were good...

And many people came up with the name Zapra or Zebolt for Blitzle. I do love the name Blitzle, but Zebstrika is just stupid. They easily could've gone with one of those.

I like Zebstrika. Are you american by any chance? I find it sounds better pronounced like 'Zehb' rather than 'Zeeb' which most Americans pronounce it as I believe. With the pronounciation of Zehbstrika it rolls off the tongue more. Also the 'strike' aspect goes well with the 'blitz' part of Blitzle. I personally would find Zapra or Zebolt too simplistic.

Wadeledge
1st March 2011, 2:57 PM
This is the internet. Nothing ever ends.

WHY DIDN'T JYNX GET AN EVO LIKE THE REST OF HER TRIO DID!!! OMG GAMEFREAK IS SOOOO STUPID WTF ARE THEY THINKING!!! AND "LUCARIO" INSTEAD OF "RUKARIO" WICH IS A MILLION TIMES BETTER!!! DIAMON AND PERL ARE GONNA SUCK!!!

You mean like that?

Sabonea_Masukippa
1st March 2011, 3:06 PM
WHY DIDN'T JYNX GET AN EVO LIKE THE REST OF HER TRIO DID!!! OMG GAMEFREAK IS SOOOO STUPID WTF ARE THEY THINKING!!! AND "LUCARIO" INSTEAD OF "RUKARIO" WICH IS A MILLION TIMES BETTER!!! DIAMON AND PERL ARE GONNA SUCK!!!

You mean like that?

I think it's more of a:

a) Why does Venonat and Butterfree looks similar?
b) Is Cubone Kangaskahn's child? I made a picture~
c) Why isnt Charizard/Gyarados dragon types?
d) OMG GOD POKEMON how are they gonna top that?
e) Why does some Pokeymonz have the same cries?
f) When will GF make a MMO?

And so on. Stuff that comes up roughly once every 3 months.

streetlightdsb
1st March 2011, 3:13 PM
I think it's more of a:

Don't forget "Too many legendariez lul"

The people campaigning to have Charizard and Gyarados changed to Dragon types make me laugh

SasakiThePikachu
1st March 2011, 3:15 PM
I think it's more of a:

That Vivaldi reference is way too obscure - I'm not sure they'd put that in what is still, essentially, a game aimed at children/teens.

It makes me giggle everytime someone says that Charizard should be a dragon type/will hopefully be made into a dragon type next gen. Yeah...if you honestly believe that GF is going to change the typing on one of the first pokemon after 15 years, you need to stop deluding yourself.

What's MMO?

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 3:21 PM
What's MMO?

MMO: Massive Multiplayer Online.
Well, we did get some Pokémon Online this time didn't we, the Dream World. And with all the people, I think it's quite massive.

MagnetonNr1
1st March 2011, 3:24 PM
Speaking of Internet Discussions about Pokémon

*cough*

"oMmG neww pogeymanz suckz day shud hav stoppd at säcond gn theyre th coolst fivth genn suckz *** ... *random swearing about the Pokémon*"

Oh, I feel so sorry for these guys for being forced to buy the games, like the Pokémon and watch the anime...

Seriously... if they have to complain at least they should learn how to spell :p

Every Gen has good and bad Pokémon

Shine
1st March 2011, 3:26 PM
What's MMO?

basically online game. MMORPG for example, stands for Massive Multiplayer Online RPG.

EDIT : so apparently I left SPPf for 5 minutes, beacuse I was beaten by 5 minutes

Wadeledge
1st March 2011, 3:35 PM
Personally I just take each generation of Pokemon for what they are, don't complain about it and don't say that "so-and-so doesn't look like a Pokemon" because it IS a Pokemon therefore it LOOKS LIKE ONE!

SasakiThePikachu
1st March 2011, 3:47 PM
Speaking of Internet Discussions about Pokémon

*cough*

"oMmG neww pogeymanz suckz day shud hav stoppd at säcond gn theyre th coolst fivth genn suckz *** ... *random swearing about the Pokémon*"

Oh, I feel so sorry for these guys for being forced to buy the games, like the Pokémon and watch the anime...

Seriously... if they have to complain at least they should learn how to spell :p

Every Gen has good and bad Pokémon

Yeah, and note that most of those who stamp their feet and whine about pokemon not being as good as the Kanto generation usually - not always - but usually have the same level of eloquence as online Twilight fans. In other words 'omgzzz!! thoz new pokemonz look liek digimonz!!! ur soo STUPID if u liek em!!! I miss 1st gen!!!! picachu 4eva!!! TT___TT' and so on. I'm all for text/chatroom speak, but for the sake of all that's holy, it doesn't help enforce your point if you sound like a complete uneducated arse.

So MMO is pretty much like the Dreamworld then. I see :)

Lucas.G
1st March 2011, 4:25 PM
White has:
Zekrom
White Forrest
Iris
Petilil line
Solosis line
Rufflet line
Thundurus

Black has:
Reshiram
Black City
Drayden
Cottonee line
Gothita line
Vullaby line
Tornadus

These are the Versions exclusive features/Pokémon, hope this will help you choose.

Thank u, I will choose White

Shine
1st March 2011, 4:58 PM
IMO Vullaby and Mandibuzz are the only real "exclusive".

All the others can be obtained via the GTS, apart from the Kami Trio members. Well not Rufflet, but Braviary is used by Cynthia.

Petilil in Black and Cottonee in White are even obtainable through in-game trade.

This means that, apart from the Kami Trio members and the event legendaries, it is easier to complete the Unova Dex in Black than in White.

Grey Wind
1st March 2011, 5:38 PM
Personally I just take each generation of Pokemon for what they are, don't complain about it and don't say that "so-and-so doesn't look like a Pokemon" because it IS a Pokemon therefore it LOOKS LIKE ONE!
omg ur sooooo rong 1th gan 4 ava!!!!

Anyway, because most version exclusives are available via the GTS, it really depends on BC and WF

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 6:46 PM

You are one of the wisest people I have ever seen posting here. I personally like every single Pokemon. It takes a while for some to grow on me (like Croagunk back in Generation IV), but in the end I wind up liking all of them.

Xman96
1st March 2011, 6:50 PM
Yeah, When I first all of the pokemon I didn't pass any judgements. I took a day to look at them and thought, "Well these look a little wierd, but that is what I think of anything new." By the end of the day I liked nearly every one of them. A couple took me about a month to warm up to, and there is still one that I hate (Garbodor), but I like them.

The Oncoming Storm
1st March 2011, 6:53 PM
You are one of the wisest people I have ever seen posting here. I personally like every single Pokemon. It takes a while for some to grow on me (like Croagunk back in Generation IV), but in the end I wind up liking all of them.
I didnt like crogunk/toxicroak till bout four days ago when I read this awesom of awesomeness fic. Hahaha but seriously I just dislike simipour and panpour. Oh and uh mienshao.

Rentaline99
1st March 2011, 6:59 PM
Call me crazy, but I predict the Typing DS game will allow you to "capture" Pokemon and transfer them to BW. This could be how to obtain the 5th Gen DW abilities.

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 7:01 PM
Call me crazy, but I predict the Typing DS game will allow you to "capture" Pokemon and transfer them to BW. This could be how to obtain the 5th Gen DW abilities.

I think it's just a typing game for Japanese kids.

Oh and uh mienshao.

What...why:(?

travisjb90
1st March 2011, 7:02 PM
I like all of the new Pokemon. They are all very cool. They all are interesting to me. I like how all of them look. Each of them has something special about them that makes them cool. Not all of them are my favorites but I don't hate any of them.

Missingno. Master
1st March 2011, 7:03 PM

Well, if something as random as Pokemon Channel let everyone EXCEPT Americans get Jirachi, and if the Ranger titles get us Manaphy, who's to say we can't get stuff from this?

Blazios
1st March 2011, 7:09 PM
Well, if something as random as Pokemon Channel let everyone EXCEPT Americans get Jirachi,

I'm pretty sure we got Jirachi from Channel because we didn't get it from Colosseum.

The Oncoming Storm
1st March 2011, 7:14 PM

What...why:(?

Its arms are all flappy and weird and stuff. Im gpnna try both throh and sawk on a playthrough in my black. Prolly even conkeldurrrrr.

Also I wonder if missingno.master got my refrence to his kick arse fic.

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 7:28 PM
Its arms are all flappy and weird and stuff.

That's it's fur, not it's arms, it's fur! It uses it's fur as whips! And it's so elegant, how can you not like it's elegance!
.......Oh, well......can't like them all, can we^-^'

The Oncoming Storm
1st March 2011, 7:34 PM
I like its first form just those also shes one of those pokes that,looks,really girly but can be male.

Silent Conversation
1st March 2011, 7:48 PM
I don't understand the people who say that these Pokemon are worse because they look a lot different to the older ones. Does different necessarily mean worse? I definitely think that these Pokemon look a lot different to the previous ones, but that difference is quite a good one! Sure, I hate some of the Pokemon in this generation, but that applies to every generation. And then meanwhile, some of the Pokemon in this gen are my favourites appearance way.

Charizardfan900
1st March 2011, 8:04 PM
I like some of the new pokemon, I don't like some of the others. But seriously why does that make them worse. Sure 5th gen has Ice cream pokemon. But 2nd gen had dunsparce. In my opinion evey gen had good pokemon and bad pokemon (execpt for 1st gen, who in my eyes were pure awesomeness).

HealyHQ
1st March 2011, 8:18 PM
(execpt for 1st gen, who in my eyes were pure awesomeness).

Oh, yeah, that pink blob of putty, the turd mole, the pokeball with a face, and the failed gaseous mitosis were totally awesomeness incarnate. :P

The best thing that came from the first gen was MISSINGNO. ;000;

MagnetonNr1
1st March 2011, 8:27 PM
(execpt for 1st gen, who in my eyes were pure awesomeness).

Well... Gen 1 has introduced my favorite Pokémon... Magneton!

Lucas.G
1st March 2011, 8:55 PM
I dont think Typing DS will not be a good game, it will be like Trozei, people buy them because of a single word on its title "Pokémon" that is all

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 9:01 PM
IF that game will come to other countries, you probably have to translate from your county Pokémon names towards another one. Like: Snivy-Serpifeu.

MagnetonNr1
1st March 2011, 9:07 PM
Erm.. what game do you mean?

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 9:16 PM
Well, the game currently is just to write down the Japanes name of the pokémon in romaji. So I though, if it went availble in other coutrys, you probably have to type the name into another language

But I don't really think it would come out in other coutrys.

Lorde
1st March 2011, 9:17 PM
Speaking of version exclusive Pokemon: I love Gothita! It looks so adorable and I'm so glad that it's found in Black version. I remember having to trade for one since I was playing White version before. I didn't use it in battle much, but I used some Rare Candies so that it evolved all the way to Gothitelle. I find the Gothita line to be a bit more interesting than the Solosis line, but that's just me. I did notice some similarities between Gothita and Smoochum, though. Not sure if that's just me or whatever. Anyway, I think I'm memorizing more and more English names as the days go by.

Dr. Leggs
1st March 2011, 9:22 PM
I'm pretty sure we got Jirachi from Channel because we didn't get it from Colosseum.

Colosseum Bonus Disc gives you Jirachi (infinite Jirachi, in fact).

I can't claim to liking every Pokemon, but each generation has given me an all-time favourite; I don't see any overall trend in how much I like the Pokemon in each generation. I start off loving a select few, then a large bulk of the Pokemon warm up to me and it becomes more balanced. There are Pokemon from each generation that I don't like, but actually Gen V has one of the highest percentages of Pokemon I really enjoy. The constantly widening pool of concepts, ideas and bases for Pokemon is something I've enjoyed witnessing throughout the development of the series, and there are simple and complex Pokemon in each generation; but it would be really hard for me to choose a favourite generation.

R_N
1st March 2011, 9:23 PM
I dont think Typing DS will not be a good game, it will be like Trozei, people buy them because of a single word on its title "Pokémon" that is all
Typing games are actually pretty fun

Typing of the Dead, for example, was fairly popular

edit: woooooah jumped straight to Burgh rank

hever
1st March 2011, 9:25 PM
Typing games are actually pretty fun

Typing of the Dead, for example, was fairly popular

edit: woooooah jumped straight to Burgh rank

It was! I wanted that game, but never did. :(
And looking good with your rank there bud.

Blazios
1st March 2011, 9:31 PM
Colosseum Bonus Disc gives you Jirachi (infinite Jirachi, in fact).

That's what I meant. PAL regions didn't get a bonus disc with Colosseum offers.

Dracoste
1st March 2011, 9:44 PM
You know what. Just forget that "write-down-name-of-pokémon-in-other-language" theory. What it is now, is still in the same language, Japanese, you only write the name down in Romaji...

So I think you just write the name down in the same language, and try to do it as fast as possible. I think this game could actually teach you something, fast typing...But only if you play it with that bluetooth keyboard...

Okay, next discussion subject....uhhhh....okay, which type haven't we discussed yet...The ghost-types? Have we discussed them yet?

Dr. Leggs
1st March 2011, 9:48 PM
Ghost-types! My favourite type. :3

The last three generations have produced some of my favourite Pokemon of all time, many of them Ghost-type; I always kinda viewed Gen IV as the peak of Ghost-types (Drifloon/Drifblim, Froslass, Rotom & Giratina) but Gen V is pretty great too. The Yamask/Litwick lines are fantastic, creative Pokemon. I'm a little less keen of the Frillish/Golett lines, maybe because they don't strike me as very ghost-y, but I like them nonetheless.

hever
1st March 2011, 9:49 PM
The ghost-types? Have we discussed them yet?
No we haven't. But I really like the Chandelure and Jellicent lines. Don't care much about Gollete though.