PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

BCVM22
8th March 2011, 2:26 AM
I'm also thinking a future event

Again, unobtainable shinies don't exist as some sort of tease.

anyone care to explain Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt?

Moves in the code but not obtainable in the first pair of games almost always mean they'll be learnable in future games of this generation.

Mario with Lasers
8th March 2011, 2:33 AM
Cutscene=/=overworld sprite.

Well, I see a green horse, it shouldn't magically become pink in battle.

Wouldn't it be weird for the dragons to have epic cutscenes then being a different color than when you fight them? Although that doesn't apply to Victiny. -shrug.

Exactly. Victini has no cutscene yet it can't be shiny; they probably made them non-shiny because... they wanted to.

MasterKenobi
8th March 2011, 3:01 AM
FINALLY got my copy of Pokemon Black! No idea why UPS is delivering at 7pm, but I'm never pre-ordering from Amazon either way.

You don't have to beat the game to get Victini, right?

Silent Conversation
8th March 2011, 3:02 AM
No, you don't. You can get the Liberty Ticket right from the beginning and can use it as soon as you arrive at Castelia.

Snipehsheep
8th March 2011, 3:22 AM
Anyone else think that the male Jellicent has a resemblance to the Pringles guy?

Silent Conversation
8th March 2011, 3:27 AM
Anyone else think that the male Jellicent has a resemblance to the Pringles guy?

I didn't see that before, but now that you mention it, I see the resemblance. It's actually quite funny.

MasterKenobi
8th March 2011, 3:32 AM
No, you don't. You can get the Liberty Ticket right from the beginning and can use it as soon as you arrive at Castelia.
That's really good to know. I'm probably going to get the Liberty Ticket off the bat and save it until I can Soft Reset for Victini. Thanks.

Kreis
8th March 2011, 3:35 AM
That's really good to know. I'm probably going to get the Liberty Ticket off the bat and save it until I can Soft Reset for Victini. Thanks.

I hope you mean for Natures/IVs and not for shininess, which it cannot be.

Missingno. Master
8th March 2011, 4:18 AM
I personally love Rotation Battles. I had a couple today in Opelucid City, and I did spectacularly. Of course, one of my opponents made the mistake of having his Elgyem use Simple Beam on my Swoobat. I used Calm Mind twice and swept his team.

Oh, and what do you all think of Simisage? Mine personally is awesome. Huge help throughout the game. It was something of a hindrance in Pinwheel Forest, but then it learned Seed Bomb, and then I evolved it... Damn, what a difference! OHKO'd Elesa's Zebstrika with Seed Bomb. Yeah.

ViperQueen
8th March 2011, 4:25 AM
This was probably said already, but it seems your pokemon doesn't lose life when its poisoned

Missingno. Master
8th March 2011, 4:34 AM
This was probably said already, but it seems your pokemon doesn't lose life when its poisoned

This is true.

Generations I-III: Every four steps, a poisoned Pokemon loses 1 HP, until it faints.

Generation IV: Same, but at 1 HP, the Pokemon is automatically cured of poison instead of fainting from it.

Now: No poison damage outside of battle.

Mr.Munchlax
8th March 2011, 4:44 AM
This is true.

Generations I-III: Every four steps, a poisoned Pokemon loses 1 HP, until it faints.

Generation IV: Same, but at 1 HP, the Pokemon is automatically cured of poison instead of fainting from it.

Guess poison isn't all that anymore

Rowdy
8th March 2011, 4:49 AM
While playing, I made some discoveries regarding evolution in the games. First, my Woobat's high friendship evo occured WITHOUT it leveling up as was needed in past games. And my Pidove evolved while fainted from a trainer battle where it reached lvl 21 before being KOed.

MetalFlygon08
8th March 2011, 4:51 AM
The Pidove one allways happens, unless you lose to the trainer.

Cobalt_Latios
8th March 2011, 5:14 AM
This is true.

I noticed that too. Quite surprised really.

/CL

isshoni
8th March 2011, 6:43 AM
I noticed that EVs show in the stats even before level ups. Guess it has to be that way now that level 100 Pokes can get EVs too.

I love all these new little improvements!

Cobalt_Latios
8th March 2011, 6:46 AM
I noticed that EVs show in the stats even before level ups. Guess it has to be that way now that level 100 Pokes can get EVs too.

I love all these new little improvements!
Not only that, but in the stats where you see the number and the breakdown: a red highlighted stat indicates that it grows quickly, while a blue highlighted stat indicates that it grows slowly.

/CL

Mr.Munchlax
8th March 2011, 6:52 AM
While playing, I made some discoveries regarding evolution in the games. First, my Woobat's high friendship evo occured WITHOUT it leveling up as was needed in past games. And my Pidove evolved while fainted from a trainer battle where it reached lvl 21 before being KOed.

Wait a minute, so you mean that even if a pokemon faints it'll still evolve?!!

Shine
8th March 2011, 6:54 AM
Wait a minute, so you mean that even if a pokemon faints it'll still evolve?!!

it has been like that since at least 3rd Gen :)

Not only that, but in the stats where you see the number and the breakdown: a red highlighted stat indicates that it grows quickly, while a blue highlighted stat indicates that it grows slowly.

/CL

has been like that since 4th Gen :)

Mr.Munchlax
8th March 2011, 6:57 AM
it has been like that since at least 3rd Gen :)

My minds been blown again

Mr. E Goods
8th March 2011, 7:00 AM
I dont like how your pokemon cant receive damage from poison outside of battle... makes no sense why they would take that out of the game.

Chimchar15
8th March 2011, 7:18 AM
I dont like how your pokemon cant receive damage from poison outside of battle... makes no sense why they would take that out of the game.

Eh it never made sense why a Pokemon wouldn't take burn damage outside of battle either but hey. Also nice how happiness evolution can occur without leveling up.

R_N
8th March 2011, 7:18 AM

Because it was annoying?

Hejiru
8th March 2011, 11:27 AM
Ok, my thoughts so far:

-I love the way the Dowsing Machine works now; so convienient.
-I'm glad they kept the "technology is amazing" guy in the first town.
-You start out with Pokeballs automatically. Sweet.
-Castelia City and the bridge are really cool.
-The nurse switched back to "hope to see you again". xD
-I'm glad Curse is now a ghost-type move. It always should have been if you ask me.
-You can touch the Pokemon on the summary screen to see its backsprite.
-The Pokemon's animations move slower when they have low HP. This looks kinda weird; you can see each frame.
-The auto sort button in the bag is very handy.
-Pokeballs are now intermixed with regular items instead of having their own bag...

And something else I noticed: I used my last Parlyz Heal, and the game actually said, "Hejiru used Parlyz Heal. Dewott was cured of paralysis. You've used your last Parlyz Heal." That's kinda cool...

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 12:26 PM
Another great aspect of the game are the nurses and doctors, you can just freely heal in the middle of the road.

Another weird thing: The puddles around Iccirus City. I was walking around in a puddle, when suddenly a Pokémon appeared! I was quite shocked to see that Pokémon are findable in puddles now.

paddylad
8th March 2011, 12:37 PM
Another great aspect of the game are the nurses and doctors, you can just freely heal in the middle of the road.

Another weird thing: The puddles around Iccirus City. I was walking around in a puddle, when suddenly a Pokémon appeared! I was quite shocked to see that Pokémon are findable in puddles now.

Yeah, it's supposed to be wetlands, similar to the great marsh in D/P/P.

Hejiru
8th March 2011, 12:38 PM
Isn't it kinda weird how Tympole can be found in the grass? Dosen't look like the kind of thing that can live on land.... o_O

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 12:43 PM
^Well...I think it just kinda bounces to move on the land. And you find him in patches of grass close to puddles... So I think it just bounces from puddle to puddle...

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 12:47 PM
When Pokemon are affected by burn etc... they also have a red tint etc...

anyone had one of those critical captures yet xD

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 12:49 PM
anyone had one of those critical captures yet xD

Yep, It shook once.......And it released the Pokémon -_- When it happened I was like "Wow, that just looks amazing" *Pokémon breaks free* "What the Heck just happened 0_0!"
Then I threw another Pokéball.....and that one did catch the Pokémon...

Yesterday I got another one. That one shook once....and caught the Pokémon :D

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 12:53 PM
i haven't had one yet... that's gotta be unlucky though xD

lindsy95
8th March 2011, 1:07 PM
I had a critical capture on Victini, I was like 'wow, that was easy...'

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 1:22 PM
I've just discovered something funny. If you walk near someone on a Bike, hold B, their speed increase, and if you let go off B, they will move on normal speed. These little things really makes the game so much fun^_^

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 1:33 PM
I've just discovered something funny. If you walk near someone on a Bike, hold B, their speed increase, and if you let go off B, they will move on normal speed. These little things really makes the game so much fun^_^

that's always been the case, i'm sure it has... i changed my text speed to fast so that i dont need to read the nonsense they speak of xD

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 1:40 PM
another thing that i really like is the way you keep TMs... and you can use them as often as you want

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 1:50 PM
that's always been the case, i'm sure it has... i changed my text speed to fast so that i dont need to read the nonsense they speak of xD

No no, I didn't meant their talking speed, I meant their moving speed.

I've discovered something else, You can see both forms of Opelucid city!
All you need is a Pokémon that can learn charge from the other version, So if you have Black, you must have a friend with White, let it send over a Emolga, for example, and show it to a man in Opelucid city. He will use to charge a machine to see the past.

And in White a guy named Bach, will need a Pokémon from "the other world" with charge to see the future.

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 1:55 PM
ohhhh... sorry, thought you meant text speed xD my bad

Slowemperor
8th March 2011, 2:01 PM
The monkey trio seems to appear a lot. It looks like they are a sort of B-starters for more ordinary trainers. It makes me wonder if they are massively bred in captivity and sold to begining trainers. They are also hard to find in the wild...
The one you receive is very useful in the first gym, from then on it's mediocre. I began feeling it dropping behind by the time I got to Nimbasa City. I just went to Nacrene and replaced Panpour by Tritouga which is an incredible pokemon.

paddylad
8th March 2011, 2:05 PM
The monkey trio seems to appear a lot. It looks like they are a sort of B-starters for more ordinary trainers. It makes me wonder if they are massively bred in captivity and sold to begining trainers. They are also hard to find in the wild...
The one you receive is very useful in the first gym, from then on it's mediocre. I began feeling it dropping behind by the time I got to Nimbasa City. I just went to Nacrene and replaced Panpour by Tritouga which is an incredible pokemon.

In any other generation they would be amazing, but this one has so many pokemon that outclass them (Panpour not so much as this generation isn't strong on water pokemon, but Tirtouga is a beast).

I did like my Simisear to be fair, it became a lot better after it evolved, but I switched it for a Litwick (oh my days, Chandelure is everything I have ever wanted in a pokemon and more, this generation is the best ever for fire pokemon for sure).

Slowemperor
8th March 2011, 2:10 PM
Simisear has an appealing design, but that's it. This gen brought us the two most awsome fire pokés ever: Darmanitan (spelling...) and Chandelier (?).
Simipour has an horrible movepool, and I mean really bad. Swanna and Tirtouga have two types and clearly outclass it.
Simisage loses it seat to a plentora of amazing grass pokémons, Liligant, Serperior, Whimsicott.
Maybe in Gen II or IV they would have been useful. Simisear would have been great in any gen till now due to the lack of fire pokémon in early stages.

old man
8th March 2011, 2:19 PM
About to fight the second gym. Game is really amazing

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 2:48 PM
I've discovered something else, You can see both forms of Opelucid city!
All you need is a Pokémon that can learn charge from the other version, So if you have Black, you must have a friend with White, let it send over a Emolga, for example, and show it to a man in Opelucid city. He will use to charge a machine to see the past.

And in White a guy named Bach, will need a Pokémon from "the other world" with charge to see the future.

Really? That's cool. I want to see the other Opelucid City now :p but I'm sure it won't be any cooler than Black-Version-Opelucid :D.
But, hey, thanks!

Kariachi
8th March 2011, 3:00 PM
Has anyone had any success with Throh in-game? I'm at Castelia(sp?) City with one and he's rocking people's socks clean off so far.

paddylad
8th March 2011, 3:03 PM
Has anyone had any success with Throh in-game? I'm at Castelia(sp?) City with one and he's rocking people's socks clean off so far.

Nah I went for Gurdurr instead, sooo much better when it evolves.

streetlightdsb
8th March 2011, 3:12 PM

Doing a Nuzlocke run will be slightly easier now I guess...

I don't know if it's always been this way or if it's new, but going into the Pokemon Centre on your birthday means the nurse basically says happy birthday to you. That was a nice little touch.

Rockstar95
8th March 2011, 4:06 PM
After 2 LOOOOOOONG DAYS of Hatching

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3208/img00262201103082021.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/img00262201103082021.jpg/)

Took about 500 Hatches

Gligari
8th March 2011, 4:12 PM

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3208/img00262201103082021.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/img00262201103082021.jpg/)

Took about 500 Hatches

Congrats rockstar. Is that really all it takes some hatching and then you get a shiny?

Mr.Munchlax
8th March 2011, 4:14 PM

Took about 500 Hatches

Wouldn't it be funny if it only took 1?

Rockstar95
8th March 2011, 4:24 PM
Yup all it takes is hatching, luck and patience and mine is jolly :D
BUt I wish it was timid but i can always go physical with Leaf Blade and Returen right?

SasakiThePikachu
8th March 2011, 5:02 PM
Congratulations! ^^ I wish I had the patience to hatch for shinies, but I barely have the patience to SR for females...

So yours is going to be all physical? You'll have much more luck at the final gym if you can somehow trade or something to teach it dragon tail. Sadly my Servine is bold, so all physical moves are a no-no. Shame...I could've reeeaaally used that dragon tail.

Tommyb2405
8th March 2011, 5:15 PM
caught myself a ditto last night so i am now breeding to get more starters xD then i can trade them over to my Pokemon Black :) and keep a Snivy for myself on White :D

Just battled that Terrakion... must have took 20+ ultraballs before i got annoyed and soft resetted... battled it again got it down to where you can only just see the red bar and caught it with one heal ball :L

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 5:59 PM
Wow, immpresive Rockstar95! The first and last shiny I ever saw(not counting red Gyardos) was a shiny Sentret in Silver. I probably won't have that much patient to hatch eggs for several days...I probably grow crazy from all those eggs!

I'm trying to catch all Legendary Pokémon in Premier Balls. Already done that with Cobalion and Victini, both in one throw;)

Chibi_Muffin
8th March 2011, 6:03 PM
Congrats rockstar. Is that really all it takes some hatching and then you get a shiny?

Well, you need a foreign Pokémon. Then the chances are raised.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the breeding-with-foreign-Pokémon shiny chances have raised, from 1/2048 to 1/1366! Awesome! I'll be getting shiny Snivy, Panpour, Vanillite, Solosis and Litwick then.

Throughout the game, I've noticed that I've gained more respect for some Pokémon - Trubbish and Throh, for example. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Kariachi
8th March 2011, 6:06 PM

Speaking of which, I've heard that the breeding-with-foreign-Pokémon shiny chances have raised, from 1/2048 to 1/1366! Awesome! I'll be getting shiny Snivy, Panpour, Vanillite, Solosis and Litwick then.

Throughout the game, I've noticed that I've gained more respect for some Pokémon - Trubbish and Throh, for example. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I already love Trubbish, but Throh is surprisingly amazing so far. It's the Floatzel of this gen for me.

paddylad
8th March 2011, 6:09 PM

Lol no, Trubbish is still ridiculous.

I have however become more fond of Pokemon I was once pretty ambivalent over (most of the version exclusives for example).

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 6:18 PM

Emolga and Audino for me. I never though of using them in my team, but they are actually very strong and are very helpful.
Without Audino I think I probably lost a several time from Lorena. And Emolga helped me to easily beat the Emolga of Elesa.

PokemonOwn
8th March 2011, 6:26 PM
But Throh is surprisingly amazing so far.

I feel the same with Sawk. However, I regret choosing Gigalith.

~Dragon_Master~
8th March 2011, 6:30 PM
Oh so poison doesn't damage your pokemon out of battle any more, great!

old man
8th March 2011, 6:48 PM
Someone please explain how the c-gear works. Am I mistaken that you can go wifi even if your not at a center?

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 6:59 PM
Someone please explain how the c-gear works. Am I mistaken that you can go wifi even if your not at a center?

This (http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/cgear.shtml) should help you a bit. Otherwise there's an in-game help menu when you click on the "?"-Symbol on your C-Gear (must be activated).

And for Wi-Fi. With the C-Gear you can use the Game Sync and, I think, you can also edit the Wi-Fi-Settings... but for the GTS, etc. you need to go to a Pokémon Center.

Felix Thunderheart
8th March 2011, 7:31 PM
any one like how you can used items in wifi battle?

Felix Thunderheart
8th March 2011, 7:35 PM

You can't right now till they opening the website http://www.pokemon-gl.com/

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 7:37 PM
You can't right now till they opening the website http://www.pokemon-gl.com/

You can go on Wi-Fi, but you can't let the game sync until 30th March.

Felix Thunderheart
8th March 2011, 7:42 PM
You can go on Wi-Fi, but you can't let the game sync until 30th March.

Trading with the G-gear need to be Sync. The IR is like the pokemon walker kinda, you hve to be around friends to do stuff and wireless like etnerlink and the Video chat is with close friends as well. The online thing you cant used yet on the C-gear is the Online stuff. But you can go to the Pokemon Center to battle random or wifi club the only thing I know you can't do right now is a ranking match.

old man
8th March 2011, 8:11 PM
Thanks great information. But what about the team that you can store?? Sorry I'm not able to check out the wifi yet till I get he and that's gonna be very late tonite.

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 8:15 PM
Thanks great information. But what about the team that you can store?? Sorry I'm not able to check out the wifi yet till I get he and that's gonna be very late tonite.

You mean the Battle Box?
That's for registering Pokémon for Wi-Fi Tournaments if I remember correctly.

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 8:16 PM
You mean the Battle Box?
That's for registering Pokémon for Wi-Fi Tournaments if I remember correctly.

I don't know if that's true.

All I know is that it can be used for IR battles.

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 8:19 PM
I don't know if that's true.

All I know is that it can be used for IR battles.

I'm also not sure, but I saw it somewhere and it also somehow makes sense.
But maybe it's just for IR Battles
... or not... who knows? :p

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 8:25 PM
I'm also not sure, but I saw it somewhere and it also somehow makes sense.
But maybe it's just for IR Battles
... or not... who knows? :p

When I asked Amanita(The one responsible for the BOX in the Unova region) what the Battle Box was, from what I can remember of what she said to me had something to do with "Favourite Pokémon" and "Infra Red".
I don't know for sure, perhaps you should ask her, at the moment I can't check because I'm currently far away from Pokémon centers and don't have a Pokémon with fly.

old man
8th March 2011, 8:37 PM
Thanks I'll check when I can. But I do think it's the battle box I was talking about. I'm not gonna be able to get back to it till lunch time tomorrow

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 8:38 PM
I don't know for sure, perhaps you should ask her, at the moment I can't check because I'm currently far away from Pokémon centers and don't have a Pokémon with fly.

I just checked the "Tournament" option in the opening screen thing. And it says:

"Teilnahmeberechtigt sind alle Pokémon, die in der Kampfbox abgelegt sind."
"Every Pokémon placed in the Battle Box may participate" (Yeah - not the best translation, but - oh, well...)

So it's also got something to do with Wi-Fi.

Dracoste
8th March 2011, 8:44 PM
I just checked the "Tournament" option in the opening screen thing. And it says:

"Teilnahmeberechtigt sind alle Pokémon, die in der Kampfbox abgelegt sind."
"Every Pokémon placed in the Battle Box may participate" (Yeah - not the best translation, but - oh, well...)

So it's also got something to do with Wi-Fi.

From the Battle competition info:
Only Pokémon registered in your Battle Box can participate.

Yup, looks like the battle box also has something to do with the Battle competition.

MagnetonNr1
8th March 2011, 8:48 PM
What I really want to know, if... someone has ever used or considered using Basculin in his team? Because I want to know if it's a "good" or at least "OK" Pokémon?

Felix Thunderheart
8th March 2011, 8:58 PM
I think the battle box is for when you battle pokemon on wifi and IR and stuff like that

R_N
8th March 2011, 9:12 PM
What I really want to know, if... someone has ever used or considered using Basculin in his team? Because I want to know if it's a "good" or at least "OK" Pokémon?
Nice attack, nice speed, okay HP, nice move pool
I don't see a problem?

Unrelated protip: Slap a Scope Lens on Gigalith and never get rid of Rock Blast.
Each shot has a chance to crit, and you're very likely to hit at least three times. That's the same power as Rock Slide (same accuracy, too), but greater potential for power thanks to possibly hitting 5 times and chance of criticals.

Chibi_Muffin
8th March 2011, 9:34 PM
XDXDXDXDXD

I just looked in the official, Pokémon Company International made guidebook...

AND THEY SCREWED UP.

They didn't get anything wrong. Quite the opposite in fact.

In the guidebook, they have a list of easy chat words. Including the list of all the Pokémon.

Now, I went to 'J' for Jirachi, my favourite Pokémon, but as I went, my eyes hovered above 'K'...

...And, in the official guidebook no less, I saw Keldeo.

Of course, my curiosity overcame me. And it turns out, Meloetta is in it too. But not Genesect, strangely (that the other two would be in it, but not him).

So much for 'secret Pokémon', huh?

CaptainCombusken
8th March 2011, 9:55 PM
Ya know I was going to do that mad levelling aim? Well I gave up. But I DID make my mind up finally. Rotating team members are just fantastic as an idea. So Basically, my team will consist of:

Dewott
Swoobat
Joltik
Scraggy

And then I'm having these guys being rotated:
Darumaka/Simisear
Excadrill/Tirtouga

Because I really want to train them all. Darumaka I've used before and LOVE it. Simisear I'm growing more and more Fond of the more I use it. The Work Up + Move Combo is really useful. Excadrill is frankly awesome and I really want to use him, but equally, I'm also a big fan of Tirtouga and Carracosta.
So what I'm doing is this: I clear a whole section, so between two separate PCs, with one set of my team. Then, I train up the ones I missed out to the same level average as the rest of my team on the routes before or after that point, whatever those Pokemon can kill easily but also give good Exp. I then carry on with those Pokemon until the next location.

pakchu
8th March 2011, 10:01 PM
yea i just got the new Pokemon black version my fc is 0733-4139-6893 name talim yea my girl friend gave the game to me so the character will be a girl
please put this fc in to your pal pad thanks

Kreis
8th March 2011, 10:05 PM
yea i just got the new Pokemon black version my fc is 0733-4139-6893 name talim yea my girl friend gave the game to me so the character will be a girl
please put this fc in to your pal pad thanks

This isn't a trade forum, so please go to those instead.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Felix Thunderheart
8th March 2011, 10:29 PM
How like the wonder launcher in battles? I love it alot.

Cobalt_Latios
9th March 2011, 12:12 AM
You know how earlier in this thread I said that I loved Scraggy for it's stats and movepool? I still do, and moreso because I've been able to use this guy 3 times consecutively in 3 gyms. Also, nothing is more :D than going against Clay's Excadrill, having your Scraggy know Hi Jump Kick, it using Hone Claws and Scraggy landing that HJK and it OHKO Excadrill.

It may be a bit iffy that it's speed is low, but when it has the defenses to make up for it, you can't help but like to use him.

And it's only going to get better once it becomes a Scrafty.

/CL

SasakiThePikachu
9th March 2011, 12:41 AM
Ya know I was going to do that mad levelling aim? Well I gave up. But I DID make my mind up finally. Rotating team members are just fantastic as an idea. So Basically, my team will consist of:

Dewott
Swoobat
Joltik
Scraggy

And then I'm having these guys being rotated:
Darumaka/Simisear
Excadrill/Tirtouga

Because I really want to train them all. Darumaka I've used before and LOVE it. Simisear I'm growing more and more Fond of the more I use it. The Work Up + Move Combo is really useful. Excadrill is frankly awesome and I really want to use him, but equally, I'm also a big fan of Tirtouga and Carracosta.
So what I'm doing is this: I clear a whole section, so between two separate PCs, with one set of my team. Then, I train up the ones I missed out to the same level average as the rest of my team on the routes before or after that point, whatever those Pokemon can kill easily but also give good Exp. I then carry on with those Pokemon until the next location.

Good god, you sound like me. Imagined I was the only one who planned with that terrifying level of thought. I'm certain that there have been wars fought with less foresight and strategy than how I plan my pokemon teams.

I'm loving my Munna (Elizabeeeeeth!!! -^____^-) but her speed really kills me. I can't wait to get her to a place that sells carbos, fast (lol, unintentional pun ftw). But omg her sp atk. Reminding me why I love psychic types. She's not got bad hp either...I mean she ain't Blissey, but she ain't fragile either...

Dr. Leggs
9th March 2011, 1:09 AM
Didn't realize how bulky Yamask is, I've been stalling entire teams with Will-O-Wisp/Hex and Eviolite. XD

oiabm
9th March 2011, 2:45 AM
What's with Mienfoo, Stunfisk, and Druddigon? I love almost all of the 5th Gen Pokemon, but... For some reason, these three REALLY bother me. Almost enough to where I didn't wanna catch them to add to my Pokedex. I guess they just look stupid to me. I love my Stoutland, Gigalith, and Serperior though, they are just amazing at taking things down with ease.

Araleon
9th March 2011, 3:36 AM
I love Braviary (Wargle...) and Rufflet. A lot. Their designs are freaking awesome, and I wish they were the regional bird for Unova.

Why, you ask?

Because then they'd be available before the eighth Gym.

But, seriously, the design? So cool, and well thought out. A Native American based eagle? Awe. Some.

Also, I really love Samurott's design. Sea-unicorn-samurai-otter-thing ftw! I don't even mind that it's not Fighting any more. It's probably better off with out the Flying and Psychic weaknesses.

I also have discovered that I really like Druddigon. I can't for the life of me figure out why, though. one day I despised him. The next I really liked him and he became a permanent fixture in my team plans.

R_N
9th March 2011, 3:39 AM
Just realized why Samurott got Encore and now I feel silly for never realizing it before now.

Araleon
9th March 2011, 3:40 AM
...why did it get Encore? I'm intrigued now. I feel like it's so obvious I've overlooked it.

R_N
9th March 2011, 3:41 AM
...why did it get Encore? I'm intrigued now.

It's a sea lion.

Ever see one at a water show or whatever? They like to clap their flippers together, much like applause.

Cobalt_Latios
9th March 2011, 4:20 AM
I've just noticed something. Tynamo and Litwick have some hefty similarities. First off, both don't evolve until around level ~40 (Tynamo = 39/Litwick = 41), secondly, to reach their last form you need a stone, thirdly, They're final forms are both specialized with either Physical (Tynamo) or Special (Litwick), and fourthly, they're relatively "slow" as it were.

So I do plan on using both... I'm just not sure when. Also, the timing at which you get them isn't bad either; by this point, most of your team should be in the mid-30s area. So, by the time you've finished the 6th gym, you should be able to get them to evolve shortly after. It's time consuming, but still doable.

/CL

Mario with Lasers
9th March 2011, 5:16 AM
I've just noticed something. Tynamo and Litwick have some hefty similarities. First off, both don't evolve until around level ~40 (Tynamo = 39/Litwick = 41), secondly, to reach their last form you need a stone, thirdly, They're final forms are both specialized with either Physical (Tynamo) or Special (Litwick), and fourthly, they're relatively "slow" as it were.

Tynamo line is Mixed, not Physical (the eel guy has 115/105 stats), actually. Besides, you have to baby it for 12 levels; you need to do the same for Litwick, but at least it has better stats and learn many more moves. Not saying that you shouldn't use Tynamo, but it's not really that alike Litwick, specially when it comes to training.

Mr. E Goods
9th March 2011, 6:18 AM
I also have discovered that I really like Druddigon. I can't for the life of me figure out why, though. one day I despised him. The next I really liked him and he became a permanent fixture in my team plans.

Really? Druddigon is my least liked pokemon ever. It is all out of proportion and the colouration is so wrong. It looks like an incomplete pokemon design.

MetalFlygon08
9th March 2011, 6:42 AM
I'm personally in love with Stunfisk's cry, it's got a mysterious noise past the gurgling, like it knows a secret we don't...

isshoni
9th March 2011, 7:47 AM
I'm personally in love with Stunfisk's cry, it's got a mysterious noise past the gurgling, like it knows a secret we don't...

And what about that grin! It's a billion times more creepy when you actually see it in-game. It definately knows something..

I just love how my little Stunfisk just refuses to die after I gave it a Shell Bell to hold. Now the little bugger just keeps sweeping through Plasma and Gyms.

XXD17
9th March 2011, 8:21 AM
Really? Druddigon is my least liked pokemon ever. It is all out of proportion and the colouration is so wrong. It looks like an incomplete pokemon design.

actually...don't underestimate druddigon...I can understand if you don't like its design but there is a specific niche on a specific type of team only a druddigon can effectively pull off because of its distinctive stat distribution...trust me. I've been training dragons my whole pokemon career ;)

Nacreous
9th March 2011, 11:05 AM
Serperior should have been Grass/Psychic>.>even with the many weaknesses,it would've been better.Plus,moves like Psycho Cut would've been a plus.Yeah,and it would've added a little more coverage and maybe some more supporting moves>.>Gamefreak or whoever designed the pkmn sure made a mistake on this one.Oh,and it would've been super effective on Emboar,wich is nice since it can't really counter Emboar in the games>.>

It's really a shame.And it's too bad they can't change/add types>.>Gamefreak[?] what were you thinking?!

SasakiThePikachu
9th March 2011, 11:51 AM
actually...don't underestimate druddigon...I can understand if you don't like its design but there is a specific niche on a specific type of team only a druddigon can effectively pull off because of its distinctive stat distribution...trust me. I've been training dragons my whole pokemon career ;)

NEVER underestimate a pokemon just because its stupid/gross-looking. I once had my excellent team taken down by a bloody Dunsparce!!

And Druddigon is a dragon...underestimate one of those at your own peril.

I might raise one eventually but at the moment I'm a little enamoured of Hydreigon and Haxorus...like everyone else in the world :D

Dracoste
9th March 2011, 12:18 PM
And Druddigon is a dragon...underestimate one of those at your own peril.

I underestemated it the first time I found it in the wild, I though I could take it out with one hit... I only did around 10% damage, and It's ability, Rough Skin, is also very annoying. Especially when you use an attack like Tail Slap...

But I took revenge(pun intended) in the gym battle against Drayden, I send out my Audino, used Blizzard, Druddigon's HP was in red, he did Night Slash, and was taken out by the Rocky Helmet my Audino was wearing:D
Kinda ironic, isn't it.

Zhanton
9th March 2011, 12:55 PM
In roughly 16 hours I'll be playing White :D Yay! It's almost time to see if the Pokemon I've discussed for the past 12 months are really that incredible :]

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 4:35 PM
anyone else noticed the stairs back right corner of The Giant Chasm or wherever xD

Blazios
9th March 2011, 5:14 PM
anyone else noticed the stairs back right corner of The Giant Chasm or wherever xD

Yes, they're how you leave Kyurem's chamber.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 5:24 PM
do you get into it from the cave leading to the Giant Chasm? will have to have alook if so :)

NANA26
9th March 2011, 6:09 PM
i used to hate all the new pokemon, but now im playing it, I like them all. They take some getting used to.

Blazios
9th March 2011, 6:17 PM
do you get into it from the cave leading to the Giant Chasm? will have to have alook if so :)

If you go to the small pond in the middle, the whole place freezes over, letting you either leav to go back to Lacunosa or enter Kyurem's chamber, which was previously unreachable. When you defeat Kyurem, the whole place unfreezes again, allowing you to walk down the stairs and down the ledge to leave.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 6:22 PM
If you go to the small pond in the middle, the whole place freezes over, letting you either leav to go back to Lacunosa or enter Kyurem's chamber, which was previously unreachable. When you defeat Kyurem, the whole place unfreezes again, allowing you to walk down the stairs and down the ledge to leave.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 7:41 PM
some one explain please... 3 times i have thrown an ultra ball at Kyurem and it has shook 3 times but not caught... what am i doing wrong haha

is rather low life as well :S

Hejiru
9th March 2011, 7:47 PM
some one explain please... 3 times i have thrown an ultra ball at Kyurem and it has shook 3 times but not caught... what am i doing wrong haha

is rather low life as well :S

It only has a capture rate of 3. Even with 1 HP asleep, Pokemon with that low a catch rate pop out very often. What you described is not at all unusual. Just keep trying, it's all about luck.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 8:01 PM
has there ever been a hedgehog pokemon? :L :)

paddylad
9th March 2011, 8:02 PM
has there ever been a hedgehog pokemon? :L :)

Cyndaquil I guess.

R_N
9th March 2011, 8:14 PM
Cyndaquil I guess.

More directly, Shaymin.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 8:25 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing a proper hedgehog pokemon... you know like actually looking with spikes etc xD

paddylad
9th March 2011, 8:43 PM
More directly, Shaymin.

Oh yeah!

i wouldn't mind seeing a proper hedgehog pokemon... you know like actually looking with spikes etc xD

I think the copyright owners of a certain blue spiked character might get a little twitchy about that!

R_N
9th March 2011, 8:45 PM
Oh yeah!

I think the copyright owners of a certain blue spiked character might get a little twitchy about that!

Man, Sonic series hedgehogs barely look anything like hedgehogs at all.
Now maybe if the theoretical hedgehog Pokemon was blue, had high speed, and wore gloves & shoes...

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 8:56 PM
the shiny appearing as Blue would get them twitchy xD

DarthUr
9th March 2011, 9:48 PM
the sprites are ugly blocky

sigilyph is the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen
i'm going to keep it as my flyer

i was excited for Archen and Archeops
but defeatist?
boo
how can that ever be useful?

Dynamo_Blitzle
9th March 2011, 9:51 PM
Blitzle and it's evo look really good thus far! My fav new design I've seen in the game (going for 6th badge)

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 10:07 PM
Blitzle and it's evo look really good

agreed... i love Zebstrika... helped me out a lot in the 6th gym i think

MagnetonNr1
9th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Zebstrika is really cool! But I don't like its cry - it hurts in my ears.

Araleon
9th March 2011, 10:18 PM

I know, it really does look incomplete, but I can't help but like it. It's the same reason I loved Oshawott back when it was first introduced as Mijumaru and everyone hated it. It's a misfit, and even misfits need love.

@Snowyarticuno - Ah, that makes sense. Yeah.

R_N
9th March 2011, 10:31 PM
but defeatist?
boo

The ability or the Pokemon? The ability serves as a sort of balance (for whatever reason), the Pokemon is useful so long as you don't let it take a hit.
It's fast and strong enough to hit hard before getting hit itself.

Tommyb2405
9th March 2011, 10:32 PM
anyone else picked up the relic crown... sell it for so much xD

DarthUr
9th March 2011, 10:35 PM
The ability or the Pokemon? The ability serves as a sort of balance (for whatever reason), the Pokemon is useful so long as you don't let it take a hit.

maybe
i won't give up on him

i guess i know what my ability is in real life ;)

Dracoste
9th March 2011, 10:40 PM

They may not look so good, but heck they are ridiclusly strong! I have trouble with it everytime I encounter one.

I wonder if it has eyes? In the musical dress up the face acceciores are put on that round thing with two blue dots...
And I used sing on one once, and I though that that thing on top of him was it's eye...but that thing remained unchanged...that was quite creepy.
It's probably the same as with Bronzong I guess

Silent Conversation
9th March 2011, 10:59 PM
but defeatist?
boo

Trust me, just give it something that either increases Defense or recovers HP each turn, and it is one of the best Pokemon. If you can stay at above 50% HP, it can OHKO almost anything at a similar level as it.

Roxas013
10th March 2011, 12:21 AM
i just got Black a couple hours ago.
but i cant get 2 my DS untill a couple of days maybe

SasakiThePikachu
10th March 2011, 12:27 AM
I seem to have put aside my Panpour in favour of the awesome little Tympole I caught today, affectionately named 'Stef'. She just ripped Lenora's team apart and won me my second badge, the little scamp.

Well, there goes 6 months of team planning <___<;; bye bye, Panpour!

This is what I love most about pokemon...when you try out one you thought you'd never use/have no interest in, and suddenly they're your new favourite. What a feeling! Shame she can't learn any ice moves though...my team is going to be well and truly screwed against dragons if I don't have an ice move user...

Mr.Munchlax
10th March 2011, 12:42 AM
I'm trying to decide a pokemon for my team based on the ones I caught in Soul Silver. As stupid as this may sound, which one of these do you think feels the closest one to Scyther?:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2c/Spr_5b_123_m.png-http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/af/Spr_5b_624.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/48/588.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/43/557.png

R_N
10th March 2011, 12:46 AM
I'm trying to decide a pokemon for my team based on the ones I caught in Soul Silver. As stupid as this may sound, which one of these do you think is the closest one to Scyther?:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2c/Spr_5b_123_m.png-http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/af/Spr_5b_624.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/48/588.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/43/557.png

Well, Scyther is a high-speed, high-attack Pokemon that turns into a Bug/Steel low-speed, high attack, nice defense Pokemon.
So...Karrablast?

I seem to have put aside my Panpour in favour of the awesome little Tympole I caught today, affectionately named 'Stef'. She just ripped Lenora's team apart and won me my second badge, the little scamp.

Well, there goes 6 months of team planning <___<;; bye bye, Panpour!

This is what I love most about pokemon...when you try out one you thought you'd never use/have no interest in, and suddenly they're your new favourite. What a feeling! Shame she can't learn any ice moves though...my team is going to be well and truly screwed against dragons if I don't have an ice move user...

Let me tell you it took forever to get a solid team. I kept switching things around as I got them. I would have never expected to keep Timburr or Roggenrola, or using Liligant, or benching Swoobat for Vanillish.
And it's funny, but every gym I wind up branching into other Pokemon for a bit. Emolga was a huuuuge help in Skyla's gym; I was tempted to use it but I was really loving Vanillish and didn't want to do as much team switching.
I still feel a little bad about benching Swoobat, but she's my flier so I bring her out every time I need to go somewhere.

paddylad
10th March 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm trying to decide a pokemon for my team based on the ones I caught in Soul Silver. As stupid as this may sound, which one of these do you think is the closest one to Scyther?:

I reckon Pawniard, its blades are kind of like Scyther's.

The Phoenix Lodge
10th March 2011, 12:47 AM

I vote Pawniard out of those

Cheska
10th March 2011, 2:26 AM
I think a lot of us are pretty shocked by some of these unexpected members of our party. I never thought I'd actually keep Lillipup, but holy moly he's a beast! <3 Absolutely love him right now, and he's really helped me out in a couple of rough spots.

ViperQueen
10th March 2011, 2:36 AM
I read somewhere on the previous pages that the only way to get the old man in the pinwheel forest to move is to meet Cobalion...After reaching Elesa's Gym and and heading back towards the pinwheel place again the old man left. Is this right because I didn't see Cobalion yet?

paddylad
10th March 2011, 2:50 AM
I read somewhere on the previous pages that the only way to get the old man in the pinwheel forest to move is to meet Cobalion...After reaching Elesa's Gym and and heading back towards the pinwheel place again the old man left. Is this right because I didn't see Cobalion yet?

Not sure, either way you can get to where Virizion is but Virizion won't be there until you see Cobalion.

wrogth
10th March 2011, 2:56 AM
Whats a good HM slave for white?

R_N
10th March 2011, 3:02 AM

You don't need one. Cut is just used for the Dreamyard (at the start) and, by my count, two little side areas (one on route 2, the other in Pinwheel forest).
Waterfall is optional, Fly is never needed (though useful), Strength is only used for shortcuts, and shoot you don't even need Surf at all (even though it should always be on your team forever). If you don't want Cut cluttering your team, just put it on a Patrat, Purrloin (which no one ever uses ever because it sucks forever), or something.

Honestly I'm not sure there is a proper slave?

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it. Strength, Surf, and Fly are fine enough moves for your team anyway.

ForeverFlame
10th March 2011, 3:02 AM

You don't need an HM Slave this generation. You only need to use like, two HMs. Fly and Surf are completely optional (and you don't really need either of them because Unova is linear and there are no mandatory water routes).

wrogth
10th March 2011, 3:08 AM
Thanks guys

Toxic Hazard
10th March 2011, 3:09 AM

Once you receive the bicycle the man will move out of the way. You get the bike in Nimbasa city.

Carina
10th March 2011, 3:50 AM
Just a quick question about natures+characteristics. I understand that the Pokemon's characteristic = the highest IV. What if my Oshawott has a Modest nature (+Sp.Attack -Attack) but is Quick tempered (Attack). Does that mean it's overall IVs are low if it's highest one is the lowered stat? I'm confused.

Should I start over for a better combination of nature and characteristic?

ashgirl92
10th March 2011, 3:53 AM

Actually, you can't see Cobalion until you get surf, which is after the sixth gym.

EDIT:Toxic Hazard is right, the man should move after you get the bike.

Rakurai
10th March 2011, 4:02 AM
Just a quick question about natures+characteristics. I understand that the Pokemon's characteristic = the highest IV. What if my Oshawott has a Modest nature (+Sp.Attack -Attack) but is Quick tempered (Attack). Does that mean it's overall IVs are low if it's highest one is the lowered stat? I'm confused.

Should I start over for a better combination of nature and characteristic?

No.

Natures have absolutely no bearing on how high a Pokemon's IVs are.

I'd try sticking its stats into the IV calculator for a couple levels to get a more accurate judge of what its overall potential may be.

MetalFlygon08
10th March 2011, 4:20 AM
OMG GF HOW LAZY CAN YOU BE! SWADLOO OR WHATEVER THE F** YO LAZY B******* CALL IT HAS THE SAME F****** SHAPE AS THAT S*** IN A BAG YOU MADE CALLED TRUBASH OR WHATEVER THE F*** YOU NAMED THAT F****** PIECE OF S***!!!!!

POKEMON IS RUINED FOREVER! GIVE ME BACK MY DIGLETT'S AND VOLTORBS!

I'm suprized somthing like this hasn't surfaced yet...

Carina
10th March 2011, 4:27 AM
No.

Natures have absolutely no bearing on how high a Pokemon's IVs are.

I'd try sticking its stats into the IV calculator for a couple levels to get a more accurate judge of what its overall potential may be.

Thanks Rakurai. Aargh, there's so much I have to learn.

Mr.Munchlax
10th March 2011, 4:49 AM
Has the list for BW ubers been posted up yet?

Cobalt_Latios
10th March 2011, 5:07 AM
Serperior should have been Grass/Psychic>.>even with the many weaknesses,it would've been better.Plus,moves like Psycho Cut would've been a plus.Yeah,and it would've added a little more coverage and maybe some more supporting moves>.>Gamefreak or whoever designed the pkmn sure made a mistake on this one.Oh,and it would've been super effective on Emboar,wich is nice since it can't really counter Emboar in the games>.>

It's really a shame.And it's too bad they can't change/add types>.>Gamefreak[?] what were you thinking?!
Well, considering I've been able to defeat Cheren's Pignite twice with it (once as a Servine), I'm not so sure. It may not have the best movepool, but it's stats do make up for it. And Leech Seed. It. Will. Save you. More than I've been will to count. High speed and high defenses make it surprisingly potent.

Just a shame that it wasn't super effective against about half the gyms. Didn't use it properly until Clay.

It only has a capture rate of 3. Even with 1 HP asleep, Pokemon with that low a catch rate pop out very often. What you described is not at all unusual. Just keep trying, it's all about luck.
Well, yeah, pretty much. Had a royally effin' painful time trying to catch Latias in Soul Silver. I think I pretty just told myself "screw it, using Master Ball". Mewtwo, of all things, was easier to catch than it. To the point where I was easily able to get a Modest one.

Ho-oh... still tricky, but I managed.

the sprites are ugly blocky

Sigilyph... when I first saw it, I had no intention of using it. Had no clue what it was and wasn't so sure. Later on, decide to at least consider it due to the fact that Pidove's line just doesn't cut it.

Caught one, wound up using it for quite some time.

but defeatist?
boo

This.

The idea is that it has a high enough speed stat and attack stat so that it avoids this situation. Just... make sure the attacks it's using are also strong. Otherwise... I learned a lesson using it against Skyla's Swanna. Didn't end well...

It sort of been the opposite for me. I've been so focused with going with my team, that I just couldn't switch out for anything else.

However, I have been tempted to switch out Zoroark a few times. Only because it doesn't really learn that many moves that work well with it's Special stat. I need more TMs though, that's probably part of it.

If anything, I was proven right about a few of the Pokemon I've been wanting to use. Most specifically: Scraggy. Cannot wait till I get this whole Egg thing over with and get myself a really OP thing.

Oh yeah, Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw on a Dark/Fighting type is going to be fun!

Let me tell you it took forever to get a solid team. I kept switching things around as I got them. I would have never expected to keep Timburr or Roggenrola, or using Liligant, or benching Swoobat for Vanillish.
And it's funny, but every gym I wind up branching into other Pokemon for a bit. Emolga was a huuuuge help in Skyla's gym; I was tempted to use it but I was really loving Vanillish and didn't want to do as much team switching.
I still feel a little bad about benching Swoobat, but she's my flier so I bring her out every time I need to go somewhere.
I made Archeops and Sigilyph my flyer. I did have a Swoobat of my own for a little while.

You know the regional bird is bad when you refuse to use it!

You don't need an HM Slave this generation. You only need to use like, two HMs. Fly and Surf are completely optional (and you don't really need either of them because Unova is linear and there are no mandatory water routes).
Well, you kind of do need Surf if you want an Axew. Otherwise, yeah, you don't really any HMs except for Cut, and that's early enough in the game that you can just dispose of and forget about it! There's another couple of places you'll need it, but for story purposes, entirely optional.

OMG GF HOW LAZY CAN YOU BE! SWADLOO OR WHATEVER THE F** YO LAZY B******* CALL IT HAS THE SAME F****** SHAPE AS THAT S*** IN A BAG YOU MADE CALLED TRUBASH OR WHATEVER THE F*** YOU NAMED THAT F****** PIECE OF S***!!!!!

POKEMON IS RUINED FOREVER! GIVE ME BACK MY DIGLETT'S AND VOLTORBS!

I'm suprized somthing like this hasn't surfaced yet...
For a second there, I thought you were being serious. Did a double take there.

I think a part of it has to do with the fact that we're actually playing it and can actually "experience" it. I mean, when it was entirely optional, in the sense that the games weren't out and you didn't really need to know everything, you don't really know what there is to expect, so you just dismiss it. Now that they got a chance to get a feel for the characters, they're not so quite to judgment on things.

Also, just curious, but I seemingly don't recall eggs taking such a long time to be produced...

/CL

MetalFlygon08
10th March 2011, 5:28 AM
Compost Shipping

I'm calling it now!

http://www.iaza.com/work/110310C/iaza19739435896300.png

Mr.Munchlax
10th March 2011, 6:05 AM
I ordered both pokemon black & white off Best Buy.com on January 16th and they just shipped it on Monday. Here is my package's status as of today:

03/09/2011 12:12 AM Received from Shipper STREAMLITE - HEBRON, KY
03/09/2011 09:37 AM Enroute to Destination Processing Center STREAMLITE - HEBRON, KY

I've been reading all of these other Streamlite orders about how they're packages have been sitting for months until they have been shipped. I'm getting worried because I'll only be at the shipping destination until this Saturday and I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to play these games before I go back to college on Sunday. I've been a loyal Best Buy customer for years and I ordered both HeartGold and SoulSilver from them with no problems, but now I feel like I'm being gipped. Does anyone know what I should do once it gets around my home, other than hope for the best?

R_N
10th March 2011, 6:07 AM
I'm starting to get worried for my Gigalith. He's been a huge help through the whole game, but I don't know he just doesn't seem to have been cutting it lately.
Especially worried for the e4 (Which I've just reached, by the way). Can't put him against Marshal, all of Caitlin's psychics are fairly bulky, Conkeldurr outclasses him with Grimsley, and I somehow doubt he'll be able to last long against any of Shauntel.
And all he has is Rock Blast, Buldoze, and Strength. I really wish he got Payback, like Conkeldurr, he'd be a great user of it thanks to Sturdy.

Well, guess there's nothing to do but level up a bit and hope for the best.

Cobalt_Latios
10th March 2011, 6:20 AM
I'm starting to get worried for my Gigalith. He's been a huge help through the whole game, but I don't know he just doesn't seem to have been cutting it lately.
Especially worried for the e4 (Which I've just reached, by the way). Can't put him against Marshal, all of Caitlin's psychics are fairly bulky, Conkeldurr outclasses him with Grimsley, and I somehow doubt he'll be able to last long against any of Shauntel.
And all he has is Rock Blast, Buldoze, and Strength. I really wish he got Payback, like Conkeldurr, he'd be a great user of it thanks to Sturdy.

Well, guess there's nothing to do but level up a bit and hope for the best.
At least you just have leveling up to do :p. I'm set on getting a Dragon Dance Scraggy with Jolly nature (for better speed). 12 eggs later, none of them are like this.

It's a bit more effort, but I feel it'll be worth it in the long run. Mainly because it increases a stat that's not it's best, and increases another that helps it hit hard. And I accidentally gave it Dragon Claw.

So, I actually have something set for taking on Iris besides my upcoming Axew/Fraxure.

/CL

taytay
10th March 2011, 6:22 AM
Will someone help me evolve my karrablast

R_N
10th March 2011, 6:51 AM
You people that specifically breed and reset for specific natures, IVs, and/or move combeos for the in-game always stuck me as ridiculous

THat seems like waaaaaay too much effort for the main games.

Onyx Umeki
10th March 2011, 6:54 AM
You people that specifically breed and reset for specific natures, IVs, and/or move combeos for the in-game always stuck me as ridiculous

Agreed. Its so pointless to do that if your not going to Ev train it.

I love alot of the new pokemons, save for... Watchog. xD

Kreis
10th March 2011, 6:55 AM

"You people." Stop oppressing us with your labels.

Cobalt_Latios
10th March 2011, 6:55 AM

It does... but it's sometimes worth it.

I have bad memories of Crasher Wake beating me because my damn Luxray had a bad nature. I don't recall what it had, but it reduced speed. Got one that increased it (Jolly), took out his team with relative ease.

It's mainly because of the Special/Physical split. That part of the reason. you don't get the stat increase properly, you ain't gonna be hitting that hard. And seeing as some of the gyms this gen are tad more tricky, it pays off.

That, and I kind of want something that can be of great use to me later.

And it's also made more obvious as to what increases/lowers what this gen than in previous ones, so I can see what I should be going with.

And this is all coming from someone who isn't all that into competitive battling; I just like to cover my bases and make sure I'm getting my training's worth, that's all.

edit: as for in-game goes, I'm actually doing a personal experimentation of mine that I've wanted to do ever since seeing that guy's movepool. Otherwise, I wouldn't have in the first place. Hell, I'm also testing to see if it's possible to sweep Ghetsis with Scrafty.

C'mon, I only get one chance at this... okay, scrap that, I'm getting Black anyways, so I'll get a second one, but still. I wanna see just how diverse it is though.

One last thing: I'm currently training a Litwick. I caught about 15 of them to find a few to use for later use. So in a way, one combo is specifically for experimenting, the other is for actual "proper" use.

Yes, I do tend to contradict myself. I know, I hate it sometimes :p.

edit 2: Okay, I'll admit, I'm rather guilty of this pretty badly in Soul Silver... ugh....

And I didn't SR about 30x just to get a Jolly Archen. Nope, that was completely coincidental. Considering the fact that this guy's ability means that getting hurt is a bad thing, being able to outspeed everything is kind of "required" as it were.

/CL

Carina
10th March 2011, 6:56 AM

Well, some of us would say that if you're gonna play a game, why not do it 'properly', whatever that means for each of us.

R_N
10th March 2011, 7:03 AM
Well, some of us would say that if you're gonna play a game, why not do it 'properly', whatever that means for each of us.
But it seems like such a super boring bother to do for such a marginal power increase, especially when EVs can throw things out of whack and level up distributions and blah blah blah.

Not to mention it's a pain when you have all the options at your disposal, much less during the main game.

BACK IN MY DAY RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Cobalt_Latios
10th March 2011, 7:10 AM
But it seems like such a super boring bother to do for such a marginal power increase, especially when EVs can throw things out of whack and level up distributions and blah blah blah.
True, but sometimes I get a kick out of witnessing a stat jump by about 8 when normally it only does at most 4, and it's kind of addicting. Tedious and quite boring, but it's worthwhile.

Not to mention it's a pain when you have all the options at your disposal, much less during the main game.
Hence why I'm doing what I'm doing at a point where it is relatively possible. Chances are, I'll just settle for something neutral (I already have a few), since those "naturally" go up, and it's less hassle to worry about.

But hey, considering my options, I do research and I experiment.

Which... is rather ironic in some way. Mainly because I was so dead set on a team I didn't bother to experiment with other team combos and only used Sandile because it was the best option against Elesa (it was, in retrospect).

Heck, if I had actually bothered to think, "hmm, this guy could potentially be useful in a certain gym match against certain type, maybe I should actually use it, hmm....", then Burgh wouldn't have been such a freaking pain!

But hey, chances are I'll save some of this stuff for post game (mainly because half the TMs I actually want aren't currently at my disposal... getting there though), and probably do some big time team changes as well.

Yeah, I understand what you're getting at, but this was all from a single incident back in Diamond. If that hadn't happened, I probably wouldn't care so much now.

/CL

Carina
10th March 2011, 7:13 AM

Nah, I understand what you mean. I've been playing since the R/B/Y days and only found out about IVs/EVs last year when I picked up Platinum.
Before I knew about this stuff, I just went through the story like we all used to...but dammit, know that I'm aware of it, I don't want to be at a disadvantage. It's a terrible way of thinking...but I can't help it now.

Dasdardly
10th March 2011, 7:57 AM
Nah, I understand what you mean. I've been playing since the R/B/Y days and only found out about IVs/EVs last year when I picked up Platinum.
Before I knew about this stuff, I just went through the story like we all used to...but dammit, know that I'm aware of it, I don't want to be at a disadvantage. It's a terrible way of thinking...but I can't help it now.

That's what happened to me. I got white on the sixth, played it nonstop, then after dragonspiral tower I decided I couldn't live with a timid Archen and a lax Serperior. So I had to restart.

Poke_Cannon
10th March 2011, 7:59 AM

naive and simple-minded post.

R_N
10th March 2011, 8:19 AM
True, but sometimes I get a kick out of witnessing a stat jump by about 8 when normally it only does at most 4, and it's kind of addicting. Tedious and quite boring, but it's worthwhile.

Can't deny I don't like seeing big numbers.

Which... is rather ironic in some way. Mainly because I was so dead set on a team I didn't bother to experiment with other team combos and only used Sandile because it was the best option against Elesa (it was, in retrospect).

Heck, if I had actually bothered to think, "hmm, this guy could potentially be useful in a certain gym match against certain type, maybe I should actually use it, hmm....", then Burgh wouldn't have been such a freaking pain!
Man do I hear ya. It's what made this run so fun for me, though. I was constantly changing Pokemon and temporarily using other Pokemon for the best type advantage. Like I really really liked the Emonga I was using against Skyla's gym and will probably wind up using one in a future playthrough. And beyond dropping Swoobat I wound up using a team I love to bits.
It's a certain feeling that preplanning or scrambles or nuzlockes just don't grasp.

Honestly I wish I still didn't know about EVs, and IVs, and how natures affected things. I made a point to not really care this go around (though I did at least make sort of a try to get nice abilities where possible) to not do so and I don't regret it at all. I just flash back to my Emerald scramble challenge and being so aware of all these natures and how they were negatively affecting my stats and how maybe I should have fought less of those and more of these and so on.

Sponge
10th March 2011, 8:22 AM
And seeing as some of the gyms this gen are tad more tricky, it pays off.

Really? The gym leaders are painfully easy this gen...and I couple of my team even have natures that don't help them particularly well. (My Conkeldurr has an ability that lowers it's defence and raises it's sp. attack)

(Burgh and Brycen were complete jokes altogether).

Cobalt_Latios
10th March 2011, 8:24 AM
Man do I hear ya. It's what made this run so fun for me, though. I was constantly changing Pokemon and temporarily using other Pokemon for the best type advantage. Like I really really liked the Emonga I was using against Skyla's gym and will probably wind up using one in a future playthrough. And beyond dropping Swoobat I wound up using a team I love to bits.
It's a certain feeling that preplanning or scrambles or nuzlockes just don't grasp.
I did, however, do some swapping for a couple of gyms, but other than that I tried to stick with what I had.

Didn't quite go as well as I would have liked, but I managed.

Honestly I wish I still didn't know about EVs, and IVs, and how natures affected things. I made a point to not really care this go around (though I did at least make sort of a try to get nice abilities where possible) to not do so and I don't regret it at all. I just flash back to my Emerald scramble challenge and being so aware of all these natures and how they were negatively affecting my stats and how maybe I should have fought less of those and more of these and so on.
When I'm choosing a nature to use for some of the pokes I have on my team, I think, "even though I'm probably not going to make good use of it... which stat will I probably not have to worry too much about. Okay, then, let's use this one then". My Sigilyph was chosen for that reason. And it's not very common either, kind of hard to find the right one when you can't even find it in the first place.

But, yeah, there's a few things I'm dead set on, but I may do some last minute tweaks to my team before the E4. Doubtful, but I still do plan on doing so.

edit:

Really? The gym leaders are painfully easy this gen...and I couple of my team even have natures that don't help them particularly well. (My Conkeldurr has an ability that lowers it's speed and raises it's sp. attack)

(Burgh and Brycen were complete jokes altogether).
Well, that may be because of the team I had for a few gyms; I fought Burgh with half my team being weak to bug, and the others would be KOd by his damn Leavanny. In retrospect, I probably should have went with Darumaka for it. Scraggy did help, but only against Dwebble. I don't quite remember what I'd used to finally take out Leavanny though. Damn Struggle Bug.

Otherwise, took out Chili with Snivy with surprising ease. Lenora was beaten by my Roggenrola (who I stopped using after Burgh), Elesa was beaten with Sandile (Rock Tomb was a good choice for a move), Clay was dirt easy (lol), and Skyla was a breeze... bad puns...

So at least now you get what happened.

/CL

Sponge
10th March 2011, 8:33 AM
Taking advantage of type disadvantages works just as well and maybe better in game than natures I think.

I guess if you're intent on your Leavanny beating the stuffing out of a Darmanitan then good natures will be needed...

Roxas013
10th March 2011, 8:45 AM
i kno what u all mean. i just learned about natures wen i got HG. it drove me crazy having pokemon with bad natures. i jus learned about EVs last month and because of it i had 2 capture another gyarados and ghastly 2 EV train and replace the 1s i was already using. that was after the E4 though, and i wanted 2 start competetive battling. IVs i kno a lil about them. nd i dnt kno how 2 check them. i really dnt want 2 learn or its going 2 drive me crazy 2. wen i play black im going 2 get good natures. and jus use the EV berries 2 redo my teams EVs after the elite 4

Poke_Cannon
10th March 2011, 8:51 AM
it does slow down the game a lot.. and ruin the flow.. but sometimes it just matters. i can't stand having a bad nature pokemon on my team..

but then again.. you can think of it like this.

"sure my pokemon doesnt have the best nature, but that just means it will take THAT much more to beat the best, rise above it!

Chibi_Muffin
10th March 2011, 9:03 AM
My natures aren't the best... Careful Swoobat and Jolly Cottonee are the worst I think I have though, and they're not too bad.

The abilities however... ^_^. My Minccino has Technician, my (traded) Duosion has Magic Guard, and the aforementioned Cottonee has Prankster!

It depends on how you play. Some people like having good natures. It doesn't matter. I personally don't go looking for them, but I do check natures to see if they're good or not.

As for gyms... Chilli wasn't too hard, yay Panpour! Lenora was a bit though, her Watchog wiped out half my team though. Burgh was easy, I literally beat his team in one hit each! I think being a bit overlevelled might have helped though. ;]

Nacreous
10th March 2011, 9:18 AM

You know,it's really annoying when you have a pkmn with a huge attack and let's say...a Modest nature>.>kinda kills its potential.I'm not an IV's or EV's freak but I like to have natures that maximize the highest stat

XXD17
10th March 2011, 9:21 AM
Nature only plays a part after I finish the game...When I go through the adventure, I don't care what natures my pokemon have...only after when it is time to be serious and start preparing competitive teams that I start looking for natures for IV purposes...and then comes the breeding for egg move -_-...

Rakurai
10th March 2011, 9:21 AM
I went through the trouble of EV training and IV breeding for all of the members of my story team this time around, simply because it kind of bugged me that how in the previous games, my story team almost always ended up collecting dust in a PC box once I got started on the post-story attractions like the Battle Frontier due to their generally terrible natures and IVs.

Nacreous
10th March 2011, 9:24 AM
I did, however, do some swapping for a couple of gyms, but other than that I tried to stick with what I had.

Didn't quite go as well as I would have liked, but I managed.

When I'm choosing a nature to use for some of the pokes I have on my team, I think, "even though I'm probably not going to make good use of it... which stat will I probably not have to worry too much about. Okay, then, let's use this one then". My Sigilyph was chosen for that reason. And it's not very common either, kind of hard to find the right one when you can't even find it in the first place.

But, yeah, there's a few things I'm dead set on, but I may do some last minute tweaks to my team before the E4. Doubtful, but I still do plan on doing so.

edit:

Well, that may be because of the team I had for a few gyms; I fought Burgh with half my team being weak to bug, and the others would be KOd by his damn Leavanny. In retrospect, I probably should have went with Darumaka for it. Scraggy did help, but only against Dwebble. I don't quite remember what I'd used to finally take out Leavanny though. Damn Struggle Bug.

Otherwise, took out Chili with Snivy with surprising ease. Lenora was beaten by my Roggenrola (who I stopped using after Burgh), Elesa was beaten with Sandile (Rock Tomb was a good choice for a move), Clay was dirt easy (lol), and Skyla was a breeze... bad puns...

So at least now you get what happened.

/CL

Skyla really should've had better pkmn>.>at least to be a challenge but she's super easy to beat.Maybe if she had an Archeops or a Wargle she would've been tougher

R_N
10th March 2011, 9:29 AM
I found the gym leaders interesting. Those first few really gave me trouble, but I didn't have much trouble from Clay on.

But I get the feeling that had I not had just the right Pokemon, I would have had a bigger challenge overall. As it was, I did, and I'm fine with that. It's nice when everything doesn't have to be a federal issue, and that things actually work, and that your team can, in fact, destroy things.

Dracoste
10th March 2011, 9:52 AM
I'm quite happy with the Natures my Pokémon has, even the ones I didn't had a specific Nature in mind.

My Samurott got the Serious nature, which means not a single stat is reduced, which is quite helpful on a Pokémon that need both the attack and sp. attack stat.

My Scolipede has the Gentle nature, and because Scolipede has an higher def than sp. def, the def and sp. def, thanks to that nature, are now the same.

One of the Pokémon I had a specific Nature in mind was Minccino...But it took quite a while until I found a Female one with Adamant Nature and Technician...I've got now a box full of Minccino^-^'

Another one I wanted a specific nature of was Pawniard, I was quite luck, because the second Pawniar I caught had the Adamant nature and the right ability.

I also wanted a Reshiram with Modest nature, and I was quite lucky with this one, 'cause the first time I looked its stats its Sp. atk was quite low, so I think that one had a nature that lowered it's Sp. Atk, cause Reshiram is one of the reasons I choosed Black I wanted it to have a beneficial nature for it's Sp. Atk. So I reseted the game and caught another one.
I used the Reshiram page here on Serebii to compare the stats on Lv. 50. Because you can't check the nature of a Pokémon in battle, so I just looked at its stats. It's Attack was lower than 125, which meant that it had a nature that was hindering for the attack stat. Then I looked at it's Sp. Atk stat, and it was higher than 170, without doupt this one had to have a Modest nature.

After I lost to Ghetsis(man he is strong, I lost to him 2 time) I checked it's stats an it indeed had the Modest nature!
I only had to reset once to get a Reshiram with Modest nature, quite lucky, isn't it:D

Nacreous
10th March 2011, 10:06 AM
My Samurott has a Mild nature though its Attack and Special Attack are equal>.>

My Lampent also has a Mild nature wich is good

And Mienfoo has a Lonely nature and it's really good

I'm at the part where Juniper calls me desperately to come to Nacrene City.I can't wait for Mienfooto evolve,only two more levels left^^

The Oncoming Storm
10th March 2011, 10:39 AM
First try got the adamant natured samurrott and zekrom I wanted. So lucky : ). Rest of the team have either speed boosting or neutral natures.

SasakiThePikachu
10th March 2011, 11:15 AM
I got unlucky with my Snivy (Bold) and my Panpour (Bold again...there goes half her movepool ;__; ) but my other two - Munna and Tympole - have neutral nature.

I didn't used to care about natures, but I find myself really worrying about them now. It's insane to worry this much, of course. Back before I knew/cared about natures I had an impish Togekiss on my platinum game...and his sp atk was through the roof, nature or not. The little guy was invincible ^_^ So yeah...maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about natures...

I'm glad they kept the little blue is bad red is good stat thing from HG and SS. Made it SO much easier than having to look up a natures list everytime I caught a new poke :D

Wah, Snowyarticuno, you're making me nervous. I was already having doubts about the Gigalith I planned to use. What's your verdict - good enough quake/edge team member, or should I maybe consider Excadrill instead?

old man
10th March 2011, 2:11 PM
I'm just trying to get threw the game first. Not too worried about natures or evs right now. I'll do that when I can do it for fun and not worried about beating the game.

Does anyone know about how wifi works? Do you have lv 50 & 100 available and does it bump you up like in the other versions? And from what I'm reading you HAVE to be in a poke center for wifi battles right?

Kariachi
10th March 2011, 4:44 PM
Am I the only one happy that the rival battles are much harder this time around. I've had nothing but trouble with them, when normally they're some of the easiest battles in-game for me.

Also, suggestions on a user of fire and dark/ghost moves?

paddylad
10th March 2011, 4:52 PM

Zoroark and Hydreigon learn flamethrower. Chandelure is a fire/ghost type. Krookodile has fire fang as an egg move. Heatmor can learn night slash as an egg move. Simisear learns crunch.

I recommend Zoroark/Chandelure for special-based attackers and Krookodile for a physical attacker :)

MagnetonNr1
10th March 2011, 4:54 PM
Am I the only one happy that the rival battles are much harder this time around. I've had nothing but trouble with them, when normally they're some of the easiest battles in-game for me.

I really love that - all rivals have been easy for me, except for Cheren...

He and his Simipour always burn-hax me with Boiling Water, leaving me almost helpless... Hmph...

Tommyb2405
10th March 2011, 4:56 PM

would litwick help... i know it is fire and ghost... evo's are rather good too :)

Kariachi
10th March 2011, 5:01 PM
The Litwick line sounds good. Was just curious as to my other options. Had planned to use Zoroark and Darumaka, but then I realized that Darumaka is a *** to use (hit something darn you!!) and that some of the moves I was using the pair for could be covered by other team members.

So, taking out Zoroark and Ashes, putting in a Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure. Thanks guys.

Grey Wind
10th March 2011, 5:33 PM
Just caught my Axew and he is awesome. He's abou 3-4 levels behind the rest but he can 2HKO most things. And his nature boosts attack which really isn't needed

iLoveDratinis
10th March 2011, 5:39 PM
I havn't had much trouble with rivals. i had trouble with a couple gyms though.
the ice one was the easiest, I used a lvl 39 Zoroark for the entire gym.

Tommyb2405
10th March 2011, 6:08 PM
i basically got past the 2nd gym without getting beaten on White... was in a battle with a Munna and failed xD was the trainer in Pinwheel Forrest... ergh... so embarrassing haha

Dr. Leggs
10th March 2011, 6:36 PM
Duosion has a Bold nature and Magic Guard, which took me a while to find but was well worth it. :0

Scraggy and Boldore are Adamant, which is great. Cofagrigus is Quiet, which is good. Vanillish is Naughty, which isn't my most preferred, but it does power up Ice Shard a bit and its offenses are close to equal. And Karrablast is Impish, which'll help it take physical hits easier.

My team overall is pretty weak to special attacks, but I've been trying to pump Scraggy and Cofagrigus full of Clever Wings to amend that to an extent.

Dracoste
10th March 2011, 6:57 PM
Lol, have anyone heard the attack Thrash yet? The attack sounds like the beginning of a mario song XD

Hejiru
10th March 2011, 7:11 PM
Lol, have anyone heard the attack Thrash yet? The attack sounds like the beginning of a mario song XD

Uhhh.... Thrash has been around since Gen 1, dude.

DarthUr
10th March 2011, 7:15 PM
the game wouldn't let me name my minccino ChiChi
my girlfriend tried and it wouldn't let her either

i added punctuation and it was fine
i thought it was strange

Kariachi
10th March 2011, 7:16 PM
Uhhh.... Thrash has been around since Gen 1, dude.

I think he's talking about the sound effect that goes with the move. Apparently it's changed?

Dracoste
10th March 2011, 7:24 PM
I think he's talking about the sound effect that goes with the move. Apparently it's changed?

Yes, I meant the sound effect. It sounds exactly like the first three second of the mario theme song. When I first heard it, I though it was just coincidence, but then I got hit again by Thrash, and it was the same sound XD!

Hejiru
10th March 2011, 7:44 PM
Yes, I meant the sound effect. It sounds exactly like the first three second of the mario theme song. When I first heard it, I though it was just coincidence, but then I got hit again by Thrash, and it was the same sound XD!

Hmm, I'll have to try that.

the game wouldn't let me name my minccino ChiChi
my girlfriend tried and it wouldn't let her either

i added punctuation and it was fine
i thought it was strange

That's weird...

What do you mean it won't let you? What does it say when you try?

DarthUr
10th March 2011, 8:02 PM
the end button just would not work
i tapped away and selected and it animated like it was working but it wouldn't leave the screen
believe me i tried
so he's named ChiChi!!? instead

RitterCat
10th March 2011, 8:38 PM
This isn't related to my V Gen game (as I haven't got one yet) but the luckiest nature/luckiest encounter I got was my Ralts in Emerald. They have a 4% chance of appearing, and 2% for one with Trace. I got one on my fifth encounter AND it was Timif =D

bluemage14
10th March 2011, 9:05 PM
Hello I'm not entire sure where this question goes, but I'm currently in Relic Castle getting ready to get the Fossil and revive it.

I was going to pick Tirtouga(Cover Fossil); however, I'm a bit confused.

-When I choose the fossil is my pokemon's nature decided ,or is it decided when it is revived?

-Also what nature would be the most beneficial to my Tirtouga?

FINALLY! (Last question I promise)

-Is it ever possible to get a Shiny Fossil? I mean it's programed to revive, so is the revival of a fossil just as randomized as catching a pokemon in the wild?

Hejiru
10th March 2011, 9:11 PM
Hello I'm not entire sure where this question goes, but I'm currently in Relic Castle getting ready to get the Fossil and revive it.

I was going to pick Tirtouga(Cover Fossil); however, I'm a bit confused.

-When I choose the fossil is my pokemon's nature decided ,or is it decided when it is revived?

FINALLY! (Last question I promise)

-Is it ever possible to get a Shiny Fossil? I mean it's programed to revive, so is the revival of a fossil just as randomized as catching a pokemon in the wild?

The nature/gender/everything is decided when the fossil is revived. So you can save right before you talk to the revival lady, then just keep SR-ing until you get the nature you want. As for which nature would be beneficial... I dunno; that's not my expertise. Since Carracosta is gonna be slower than slow anyway, you could go with something that lowers speed, maybe raisiing Attack or Special Defense. I don't truly know though.
And yes, fossils can be shiny when you revive them.

Seem
10th March 2011, 9:19 PM
Decided when it's revived, not when you pick up the fossil. Thank goodness!

Depends, for competitive battling or to complete the game? I got mine with a Brave nature(+Atk, -Spe) which is quite a decent one since he has access to Aqua Jet for a while.

-Is it ever possible to get a Shiny Fossil?
Yes. (:

bluemage14
10th March 2011, 9:22 PM
The nature/gender/everything is decided when the fossil is revived. So you can save right before you talk to the revival lady, then just keep SR-ing until you get the nature you want. As for which nature would be beneficial... I dunno; that's not my expertise. Since Carracosta is gonna be slower than slow anyway, you could go with something that lowers speed, maybe raisiing Attack or Special Defense. I don't truly know though.
And yes, fossils can be shiny when you revive them.

Thank you very much. I'm going to probably shoot for a Sassy Nature (Sp. Defense +, Speed -) because even when Tirtouga evolves into Carracosta his speed is still at a base of 32 -.- Kill me. Hahaha! So my thinking is why not give Carracosta super Sp. Defense to protect against Electric and Grass attacks. Basically Carracosta's gonna be a tank of Turtleness.

GO MEGATURTLE!

[/i]
Decided when it's revived, not when you pick up the fossil. Thank goodness!

Depends, for competitive battling or to complete the game? I got mine with a Brave nature(+Atk, -Spe) which is quite a decent one since he has access to Aqua Jet for a while.

Yes. (:

Edit: Oh so then would you recommend not getting a Sassy one?

Psychic Silver
10th March 2011, 9:27 PM
Have probably caught over 15 Joltik just so I have a modest one for my team XD

isshoni
10th March 2011, 9:48 PM
I have an obsession about my in-game team members having decent IVs and certainly being fully EV trained. A good nature goes without saying. I completely agree what someone already said: If I'm gonna play, I might as well do it properly. It's a pain in the ***, but I can't help myself. It hurts my heart having my Pokémon get useless EVs.

On a whole new topic, I find it ridiculous that Garbodor's by far the strongest Pokémon I've faced in my Black.

I was on the Battle Subway with a Lucario facing Ingo's Garbodor. I know that max speed mixed Lucario doesn't pack that much of a punch, especially without Life Orb, but I'm still completely astonished by how easily Garbodor took all the hits I managed to throw at it, before it Focus Blasted Lucario to bits.

And it only has 80/82/82 defensive stats too.

I just need those battle points so I can get the power items and start breeding for some real battling talent. The Unova-only single line isn't that difficult at all, but earning BP sure isn't something you can do quickly in these games.

R_N
10th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Wah, Snowyarticuno, you're making me nervous. I was already having doubts about the Gigalith I planned to use. What's your verdict - good enough quake/edge team member, or should I maybe consider Excadrill instead?

Honestly, after doing the E4 and the end game, I'd say he performed pretty well. Sturdy helped a lot in stalling things out, and Rock Blast was super useful. As was Bulldoze. It's a shame he didn't usually get a chance to finish things off, but he packed a wallop when you got him in. He even survived Chandelure's Shadow Ball! Without sturdy! And thanks to that Bulldoze lowering its speed, my Samurott was able to take the lead.

The sad thing is that he doesn't get Earthquake naturally. You can only get the TM in the post game; I believe Excadrill is the only one to get the move naturally.

rocky505
10th March 2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone find it funny how Mandibuzz gives you 2 Special attack EV points

Blazios
10th March 2011, 10:28 PM
I have an obsession about my in-game team members having decent IVs and certainly being fully EV trained. A good nature goes without saying. I completely agree what someone already said: If I'm gonna play, I might as well do it properly. It's a pain in the ***, but I can't help myself. It hurts my heart having my Pokémon get useless EVs.

On a whole new topic, I find it ridiculous that Garbodor's by far the strongest Pokémon I've faced in my Black.

I was on the Battle Subway with a Lucario facing Ingo's Garbodor. I know that max speed mixed Lucario doesn't pack that much of a punch, especially without Life Orb, but I'm still completely astonished by how easily Garbodor took all the hits I managed to throw at it, before it Focus Blasted Lucario to bits.

And it only has 80/82/82 defensive stats too.

I just need those battle points so I can get the power items and start breeding for some real battling talent. The Unova-only single line isn't that difficult at all, but earning BP sure isn't something you can do quickly in these games.

Yeah, that Garbodor managed to survive my Electivire's Earthquake and 1HKO it with a critical hit Focus Blast.

Annoying, isn't it?

isshoni
10th March 2011, 10:49 PM

Mandibuzz is the queen of evil and she's so gonna be the first one I'm gonna breed for the subway. I had one for my in-game team and with Eviolite it was a beast even as a Vullaby, taking down half of the E4.

Yeah, that Garbodor managed to survive my Electivire's Earthquake and 1HKO it with a critical hit Focus Blast.

Annoying, isn't it?

Focus Blast is my nemesis. One day I'll bring it to its knees and defeat it for good.

Stunfisk, Basculin and Sawsbuck are surprisingly tough too.

paddylad
10th March 2011, 10:53 PM
I finally got my 2nd game, Black. This time round I chose Snivy.

I really like Panpour but there's no room for it on my drought team :(

Silent Conversation
10th March 2011, 10:56 PM
The sad thing is that he doesn't get Earthquake naturally. You can only get the TM in the post game; I believe Excadrill is the only one to get the move naturally.

Krookodile also gets it by level up.

noobers
10th March 2011, 10:57 PM
To anyone who's gotten the Larvesta Egg, how long does it take to hatch? I want something new for Iccirus Gym. Yes, I plan to train it from Level 1 to the 40s.

No, you are in fact the only person who finds this funny.

:<

rocky505
10th March 2011, 11:09 PM
No, you are in fact the only person who finds this funny.

:< Well you are the only person being rude. It is funny how madibuzz gives 2 Sp Atk EVs since it's Special Attack stat is utter crap.

R_N
10th March 2011, 11:44 PM
To anyone who's gotten the Larvesta Egg, how long does it take to hatch? I want something new for Iccirus Gym. Yes, I plan to train it from Level 1 to the 40s.

Not too long, I found, so long as you have a Flame Body Pokemon. Go grab a litwick, position yourself properly along the Driftviel bridge, and gooooo

noobers
11th March 2011, 12:03 AM
Not too long, I found, so long as you have a Flame Body Pokemon. Go grab a litwick, position yourself properly along the Driftviel bridge, and gooooo

Oh god, I forgot about Flame Body. Thanks.

Hejiru
11th March 2011, 12:11 AM
Oh wow; if you run around while you're waiting for the Pokemon to produce an egg, the day care guy will yell your name! Awesome. :D

Dr. Leggs
11th March 2011, 12:30 AM

Why? You don't need EVs at all for in-game, and now EVs/stats are recalculated at the end of every battle. So long as you have the proper EV-reducing Berries you can customize your Pokemon's EVs to your liking post-game.

noobers
11th March 2011, 12:37 AM
There are no EV-reducing berries in Unova. At all.

Hejiru
11th March 2011, 12:52 AM

Uh oh. That could be a problem.

Can you at least get them from the Dream World?

noobers
11th March 2011, 1:00 AM
Nope. There's no way to get 'em in the fifth gen.

Hejiru
11th March 2011, 1:03 AM
Nope. There's no way to get 'em in the fifth gen.

http://blog.handybackup.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/images.jpg

R_N
11th March 2011, 1:19 AM
http://blog.handybackup.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/images.jpg

is there a list of berries we can get in the dream world, by chance?

DoubleJG3288
11th March 2011, 1:53 AM

So... how do you retrain a pokemon? Is that even possible in this gen?

rocky505
11th March 2011, 1:56 AM
So... how do you retrain a pokemon? Is that even possible in this gen? With no EV reducing berries you will have to catch/breed/obtain another one, and start all over again.

DoubleJG3288
11th March 2011, 1:58 AM
With no EV reducing berries you will have to catch/breed/obtain another one, and start all over again.

This makes me sad, knowing that my story team will be nothing more than that :(

Mario with Lasers
11th March 2011, 3:27 AM
They're still programmed in, they're just unobtainable for now.

R_N
11th March 2011, 3:30 AM
They're still programmed in, they're just unobtainable for now.
I still wonder if maybe the NA &/or EU Dream Worlds will have new, exclusive goodies. To promote regional DW crossovers, you see.

Rakurai
11th March 2011, 3:30 AM
You actually can obtain the EV reducing berries by using the Egg Shuffle in the wireless Union Room.

Though it's kind of pointless, since you can't transfer them to the Dream World to grow them.

Dr. Leggs
11th March 2011, 3:36 AM
Exactly. While it's not the fastest process it certainly isn't impossible.

Cobalt_Latios
11th March 2011, 3:45 AM
Have probably caught over 15 Joltik just so I have a modest one for my team XD
I've had some weird luck on my part; looking for a specific nature for a Pokemon I actually will be using? It takes me forever! I think I have an entire box of Scraggy's now just finding one in the desert that had a nature that raised speed. No luck. Half a box full of Axew's trying to get a Jolly one with Mold Breaker (don't ask). Roughly the same for Litwick.

Joltik? 2nd capture for Modest. Not joking. I find it as cruel irony. Like the game knows what I want and don't specifically want and will force me to work hard for the stuff I actually do want. Tynamo... not so much.

Oh, and I finally got my Jolly Scraggy! It's a Scrafty now, and it's Speed is the same as it's Special Defense. Not bad.

Honestly, after doing the E4 and the end game, I'd say he performed pretty well. Sturdy helped a lot in stalling things out, and Rock Blast was super useful. As was Bulldoze. It's a shame he didn't usually get a chance to finish things off, but he packed a wallop when you got him in. He even survived Chandelure's Shadow Ball! Without sturdy! And thanks to that Bulldoze lowering its speed, my Samurott was able to take the lead.
My Scrafty will have no problems taking her on then. In fact, I think I can pretty much can on half the Elite 4 with my Scrafty alone and be relatively healthy afterwards.

Spend a little bit and breed it onto it. Not that hard.

Annoying, isn't it?
WTH? What is it with this game and critical hits. Probably the first entry to have such a high critical ratio. Get's kind of annoying.

And here I thought Physical was Garbodor's strength, not Special.

Speaking of Focus Blast, I'll probably teach that to my Zoroark. It needs a decent Special move, and for now, that's as good as any.

Or... Skyarrow bridge + Castelia and just loop around there a few times. That's how I've done it. Works pretty efficiently.

Oh wow; if you run around while you're waiting for the Pokemon to produce an egg, the day care guy will yell your name! Awesome. :D
Yeah, I noticed that too. Personally though, I did prefer it when he was standing at a different location to properly indicate that, yes, you have an Egg.

/CL

R_N
11th March 2011, 4:07 AM
WTH? What is it with this game and critical hits. Probably the first entry to have such a high critical ratio. Get's kind of annoying.

God I know right?
Just so many damn criticals. It is ridiculous how many of them there have been.

And here I thought Physical was Garbodor's strength, not Special.

Speaking of Focus Blast, I'll probably teach that to my Zoroark. It needs a decent Special move, and for now, that's as good as any.
I loathe 70% moves. They will always miss for me. Frankly I'm pushing it just using 90% moves. GOD DAMN IT BLIZZARD STOP HITTING ME AND HAMMER ARM HIT HIM

Or... Skyarrow bridge + Castelia and just loop around there a few times. That's how I've done it. Works pretty efficiently.
I don't know, somehow I just found the other way less...time consuming? I don't know how to put it.

KickAsh
11th March 2011, 4:18 AM
I loathe 70% moves. They will always miss for me. Frankly I'm pushing it just using 90% moves. GOD DAMN IT BLIZZARD STOP HITTING ME AND HAMMER ARM HIT HIM
http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/3/38/210px-Victini.png
Victory Star? I dunno, Victini might be dead weight on your team, but Victory Star really does help. Kind of...

It has to be. It seems like every other move is a critical hit. I got 3 critical hits in a row a few minutes ago and that's never happened to me before. Well actually it was
Surf-Surf-Work Up-Surf, but all three Surfs were critical hits. The frequent criticals this game is definitely a mixed blessing. It got me through Lenora with a clutch critical hit Leaf Tornado but I lost to N twice because of an ill-timed critical hit against me.

Cobalt_Latios
11th March 2011, 4:18 AM
God I know right?
That's sort of why I was so messed up from Burgh's gym. If it weren't for random trainer's Sewaddle's Haxor Leaf criticaling 2 guys I was leveling up, it wouldn't have been so bad. At least Lenora had a move that was based on pure power. Burgh... random critical here, random critical there.

And Elesa... Her effing Emolga's criticaled my Scraggy... twice!

And Air Cutter.... don't even get me started.

Ironically, I've had better luck. Hi Jump Kick would hit most of the time, and even when it wouldn't it wouldn't really pose that much of a problem.

I don't know, somehow I just found the other way less...time consuming? I don't know how to put it.
I may try it... sounds like a pretty long stretch of area, especially going through Nimbasa.

Also, I noticed getting Confused is a major pain for me; half the time it happens, I hurt myself. Haven't tried it against the CP, but I'm a bit worried.

/CL

DoubleJG3288
11th March 2011, 5:28 AM
You actually can obtain the EV reducing berries by using the Egg Shuffle in the wireless Union Room.

Though it's kind of pointless, since you can't transfer them to the Dream World to grow them.

You can obtain, yet you cannot grow?.. No thanks.

The Oncoming Storm
11th March 2011, 5:56 AM
I really find the exp gain rates this gen tedious. I always go with pokemon I like and ive found they take forever to lvl.

Roxas013
11th March 2011, 6:37 AM
cant u get the EV berries from wild pokemon?

R_N
11th March 2011, 6:40 AM
cant u get the EV berries from wild pokemon?

I think you can only get type damage reduction berries

Chimchar15
11th March 2011, 6:44 AM
Cubchoo and Beartic are amazing! I love having them on my team and Icicle Crash is great.

Dracoste
11th March 2011, 9:25 AM
WTH? What is it with this game and critical hits. Probably the first entry to have such a high critical ratio. Get's kind of annoying. /CL

I once fought Ghetsis' Bouffalant with Audino. It could survive a hit with his Def and it was also holding a Rocky Helmet, that was my strategy to take that Bouffalant out. Every time he hits Audino he gets damage from the recoil and the rocky helmet. And after Audino was hit I used a Moomoo Milk. this strategy was perfect...Until that Bouffalant did a critical hit! "Critical hit. Of course, what else would it be..."

And in the battle against Brycen a random critical hit caused a anti-climax...
Brycen sends out last Pokémon, awesome last pokémon music starts, Audino used Fire Blast, critical hit, awesome misuc ended...

And they also occur in wild battles. Like yesterday, I kooked a Kingler and I wanted to catch it. Bisharp did Iron head, caused less than half damage, so you would expect the next hit will put it's HP in red, nope, critical...

"Critical hit. Of course, what else would it be..." I've said that quite a lot this gen, and I think I'm not done saying it.

EDIT: Yep, knew it, it happened again, my Whimsiscott had used cotton gaurd two times, so it would easily take physical hits, and then it got hit by a aerial ace, it would easily survive the hit...but noooooooo, it just has to be a critical hit.

isshoni
11th March 2011, 10:36 AM
Why? You don't need EVs at all for in-game, and now EVs/stats are recalculated at the end of every battle. So long as you have the proper EV-reducing Berries you can customize your Pokemon's EVs to your liking post-game.

It's just something I personally want to do. Going without EV training and bad natures and IVs might even give the story some much needed difficulty, but I just can't bring myself to actually do it. I just want to do it properly.

God I know right?

The story of my life, just with Focus Blast.

I'll never get over how once in the HG battle tower a Gengar swept through my team with something like four critical hit Focus Blasts. It was one of my longest runs and that Gengar was the opponent's last Pokemon standing.

Crits actually do seem to occur a lot more often in this gen. Even with wild Pokemon and regular trainer battles.

elorasheppard
11th March 2011, 12:25 PM
Crits actually do seem to occur a lot more often in this gen. Even with wild Pokemon and regular trainer battles.

I nearly lost my victini due to a critical hit. Hit it once with water gun with a low levelled pokemon, didnt do much damage. Hit it again and there was barely anything left. Once i caught it i realised it had clung on to one hp. Does seem to be happening a bit more often this gen.

isshoni
11th March 2011, 1:51 PM
I nearly lost my victini due to a critical hit. Hit it once with water gun with a low levelled pokemon, didnt do much damage. Hit it again and there was barely anything left. Once i caught it i realised it had clung on to one hp. Does seem to be happening a bit more often this gen.

You wouldn't have lost it since it reappears until you catch it. I use it for EV training.

elorasheppard
11th March 2011, 2:04 PM
You wouldn't have lost it since it reappears until you catch it. I use it for EV training.

I didn't know that! I needen't have panicked then. Is the same true for the other legendarys in the game, Cobalion etc?

Pokemon Trainer Blue
11th March 2011, 2:17 PM
I recently was trying to get a Sigilyph in desert resort. My first encounter, I catch it. It has Magic gaurd AND its modest!!! On my first encounter, what are the odds? Im so glad its whilrwinds failed, it tried that move twice.

isshoni
11th March 2011, 2:26 PM
I didn't know that! I needen't have panicked then. Is the same true for the other legendarys in the game, Cobalion etc?

I read somewhere that they do, but I haven't battled them yet, so I can't be sure and you shouldn't trust my word. But if they do reappear, I think it takes more effort than with Vicitini. Like you'd need to defeat the E4 again, whereas Victini reappears just by simply exiting the room.

wearjo
11th March 2011, 2:26 PM
i believe the odds are something like 1 in 32 if it has 2 natures available

R_N
11th March 2011, 5:32 PM

Of course, the truth is they really don't. Same rate as it's always been.

It's just so inconsistent. And it probably isn't as common as we think, we just look back on all the most annoying instances amongst the hundreds of attacks dealt over the course of the game.

Though I swear the game knows when you're trying to nuzlocke something and brings out the Battle Frontier Crit AI

AwesomeSauce117
11th March 2011, 8:38 PM
I didn't know that! I needen't have panicked then. Is the same true for the other legendarys in the game, Cobalion etc? I doubt it. It would be easier to just save before battle.

Dracoste
11th March 2011, 9:10 PM

For Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom, you can just deafeat them without getting woried. Victini has endless inner energy, so when you defeated it and leave the room it is back.

When you accidentaly defeated Reshiram/Zekrom "Reshiram/Zekrom looks at you like it's saying "Try again"", cause you need to catch them to get further with the story, except if you maxed your box and have a full team, after you defeated it when you have those things it will be catchable in the Dragonspiral tower.

As for the other Legendarys, when you defeat them the game says they have disapeared somewher far in the cave, etc. I think they you can re-battle them when you have defeated the Elite4.

cfc-4-eva
11th March 2011, 10:50 PM
i'm in love with excadrill and krookodile there awesome!

Kariachi
11th March 2011, 11:28 PM
Okay. Musharna is evil. Bianca's has been sucking up hits better than my Throh! And he's scary! I shouldn't need four Hyper Potions to take out a level 25 incense burner when my team's at level 36!!

Miss Alexis
12th March 2011, 12:48 AM
i love the new battle animation of the pokemon sprites in battle

wearjo
12th March 2011, 1:13 AM
hehe when i get pokemon black and white (probably later on today) i'll be making a walkthrough but, th better thing.... when i get up to the elite 4, im gunna make it so that all my pokes have to be lvl 65 and up

Mr.Munchlax
12th March 2011, 1:45 AM
If you have an English game and you receive an egg from a Japanese game in a trade, will the newly hatched pokemon's name be in English or Japanese?

Ludicolomaniac
12th March 2011, 2:14 AM
Does anyone think that Stunfisk is kinda DERP?

KickAsh
12th March 2011, 2:53 AM
Okay. Musharna is evil. Bianca's has been sucking up hits better than my Throh! And he's scary! I shouldn't need four Hyper Potions to take out a level 25 incense burner when my team's at level 36!!
It's a damn good Pokemon, that Musharna. It's freaky, actually. But seeing a how Bianca would completely suck without at least one good Pokemon, you understand why GF put it there. But yeah it's really scary. It takes my Krokorok 3 STAB Crunches to take it out. Yikes.

For Victini and Reshiram/Zekrom, you can just deafeat them without getting woried. Victini has endless inner energy, so when you defeated it and leave the room it is back.
Defeating Victini would be a good way to train. Should have thought of that earlier.

But the easiest way to catch a legendary would probably be just to save right before battling it.