PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Valoo.
20th March 2011, 4:31 PM
^ I did that too, but then I got lost, ran out, and found a Cryogonal!

aggronFTW
20th March 2011, 4:38 PM
Do you guys think Zorua/Zoroark will be a normally catchable Pokemon in the third version? Or will they just have a different event? Personally I think it will be normally catchable.

I enjoy playing through Autumn for some reason, but I'd rather it be spring (mostly because I've been wanting it to be spring in real life). I like the Fall colors even though I'm from New York (IRL Unova) and I see Fall colors every year.

I'd honestly love that, my Internet connection is WPA so I can't connect my ds to wifi and download these zorua events. But I don't think we'll ever get it in the wild unfortunately.

Silver Totodile
20th March 2011, 4:49 PM
I adored Venipede the first time I saw him, and I've been training the bug/poison type ever sense.

I'm now 4 badges in and spike the whirlipede is a great member to my team. He doesn't learn moves quick enough though but Poison tail, Screech, Bug bite and Iron Defence has worked against everything so far so I'm not complaining.

Anyone else love the venipede line? I think whirlipede's design is one of the best for the bug type sense ever really, but I like most of the new bug types. (Can't wait to use Dwebble in Black)

Also the new fossil pokémon have really impressed me this time round. Kipper the tirtuga is the final member of my team, and personally I think he's adorable. I don't like Archen [I]just/I] as much but he's still easy on the eyes.

Legendary Dreams
20th March 2011, 4:54 PM
I adored Venipede the first time I saw him, and I've been training the bug/poison type ever sense.

I'm now 4 badges in and spike the whirlipede is a great member to my team. He doesn't learn moves quick enough though but Poison tail, Screech, Bug bite and Iron Defence has worked against everything so far so I'm not complaining.

Anyone else love the venipede line? I think whirlipede's design is one of the best for the bug type sense ever really, but I like most of the new bug types. (Can't wait to use Dwebble in Black)

Also the new fossil pokémon have really impressed me this time round. Kipper the tirtuga is the final member of my team, and personally I think he's adorable. I don't like Archen [I]just/I] as much but he's still easy on the eyes.

Actually, the insects of this generation are nothing like those before. They're great in design and actually useful (and beyond that as well).

We have...

Sewaddle Line
Venipede Line
Dwebble Line
Joltik Line
Karrablast Line
Shelmet Line
Larvesta Line
Durant
Genesect

ForeverFlame
20th March 2011, 5:00 PM
The Venipede line is amazing. We've really come a long way from Weedles and Beedrills.

Scolipede is a powerhouse, and its speed is pretty impressive. It's also very effective against the Elite Four since two of the types are weak to Bug.

CaptainBrain
20th March 2011, 5:59 PM
The bug Pokemon were shockingly good this generation. Normally I find them just average, but seeing Joltik, Scolipede, Larvesta, and Leavanny, it's clear that Gamefreak wanted to make bugs actually usable.

I still love Mothim though. :p

Kingudora
20th March 2011, 6:10 PM
I'm curious what the general total base stats are for Bugs this gen compared to older ones. They surely must be higher, mustn't they? We have in example Volcarona and Genesect, with 550 and 600 respectively in total base stats

Valoo.
20th March 2011, 6:16 PM
I'd say it's because all the old Bugs were awful past like the 2nd gym. They needed some good Bug-types, and so Volcarona was born

Cobalt_Latios
20th March 2011, 6:46 PM
None of the bug types in previous gens were "bad", they just weren't very powerful. I mean, Heracross, Scizor, Ninjask, Yanmega, and maybe Shuckle (abusing those "trick" moves anyways) are alright, but then, 5th gen gives us a plethora of actually useable bug types that can actually hold their own pretty well.

/CL

R_N
20th March 2011, 6:47 PM
None of the bug types in previous gens were "bad", they just weren't very powerful. I mean, Heracross, Scizor, Ninjask, Yanmega, and maybe Shuckle (abusing those "trick" moves anyways) are alright, but then, 5th gen gives us a plethora of actually useable bug types that can actually hold their own pretty well.

/CL

No, a lot of previous gens' bugs were pretty bad.
You weren't going to see the vast majority in...anything, really. Though several got Quiver Dance to breath new life into them.

Valoo.
20th March 2011, 6:49 PM
Still, no one is going to use Butterfree even if it did get QD

seithecs
20th March 2011, 6:52 PM
Well, it's not just that bug pokes are better this gen, they also evolve later. Almost all pokemon evolve later than their counterparts did in the old gens. look at Pidove. It evolves at 21 when Starly evolved at 14 and Pidgey at 18. Remember that Butterfree and Beedrill were available as early as level 10, so were Beautifly and Dustox. Sewaddle and Venipede evolve to their second stage at 20 and 22.
Clearly, it's not so much that the creators wanted stronger bug pokemon. Rather, they wanted to make the bug type be more than the "Starter wild pokemon" type that previous bugs were. The bug types in the 5th gen are made to stay with you from start to end, whereas before they were made to give players an easy to use fully evolved poke that you'll replace when better stuff comes along.

In general, the 5th gen has made it much more feasible to carry the same team of pokemon from the start to the E4 without having your pokemon become "obsolete".

Cobalt_Latios
20th March 2011, 6:57 PM
No, a lot of previous gens' bugs were pretty bad.
You weren't going to see the vast majority in...anything, really. Though several got Quiver Dance to breath new life into them.
Pray tell, which got Quiver Dance?

I think Beautifly would be a better recipient to that move, you know, have a useable SA stat and whatnot.

/CL

R_N

It did get QD! And it makes the prospect of using one of the early moths/butterflies all the more interesting.

Although probably not outside of the in-game, since Lilligant, Volcorona, and Venomoth sort of outclass them as users :(

Autumn Emolga
I'm loving the new Pokémon. And there's so much! :D

Right now I'm thinking of redoing my team (AGAIN) to make it have a Esclavier in it. Instead of Haxorus. But hey!

R_N
20th March 2011, 6:59 PM
Pray tell, which got Quiver Dance?

I think Beautifly would be a better recipient to that move, you know, have a useable SA stat and whatnot.

/CL

Butterfree
Venomoth
Beautifly
Dustox
Masquerain
Mothim
Lilligant
Volcorona

Sadly none of them get it as early as Lilligant does, but it's still a nice boon to those who choose to put the time into them.

Kingudora
20th March 2011, 7:04 PM
Really, why does Lilligant have Quiver Dance? It's awesome though plus it opens up the possibilities for other non-Bug pokemon to get it in later games

R_N
20th March 2011, 7:09 PM
Really, why does Lilligant have Quiver Dance? It's awesome though plus it opens up the possibilities for other non-Bug pokemon to get it in later games

Pollination, I suppose.
I don't know why Bellossum didn't get it, though.

SasakiThePikachu
21st March 2011, 12:32 AM
I think it's a shame that both Leavanny and Durant have that evil 4X weakness to fire, because other than that they're great pokemon. We really have come far from Butterfrees and Beedrills, and its fun to see a bug kicking a psychic type's butt for a change.

I hope the 6th gen gives us a Durant evolution *pictures it and grins*

GalladeX
21st March 2011, 12:46 AM

Yes! It could be a literal ant colony; a big, 70+ foot rusty steampunk ant with a bunch of Durants crawling in and out of it during battle!

...No?

Well either way I want it to be named Antarchy.

Ememew
21st March 2011, 12:46 AM

I'm not against new evolutions in the 6th gen (have a few ideas in mind, too), but what would that do with the Eviolite? I mean, I guess it would only matter within a generation whether a Pokemon is fully evolved/evolve-able if it gets the boost because you can't battle across generations, but for continuity purposes, do you think they'll add new evos and just say "forget that the Eviolite didn't boost their defenses before" or if they'll have some excuse for that acting differently across gens? Or would they just not give any 6th gen evolutions to previous gen Pokemon?

Obviously too early to be worried about it, but I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this matter.

BCVM22
21st March 2011, 12:49 AM
They would do whatever makes for better gameplay and lose no sleep over any continuital implications, and there ain't a thing wrong with that.

Ememew
21st March 2011, 12:58 AM
They would do whatever makes for better gameplay and lose no sleep over any continuital implications, and there ain't a thing wrong with that.

Just so you don't misunderstand and think that I'm really nit-picky or something: Personally, I'd be fine with however they decide to do it, I was just curious as to what people here thought would be most likely way of doing things.

Personally, I'm leaning toward them hoping fans will just ignore that the Eviolite treated something as fully evolved in one gen and as evolve-able in another (which I suppose is similar to your thoughts, if I'm not misinterpreting your post). I can't see them never having another cross-gen evolutionary line just because they implemented an item that only works for Pokemon that can still evolve.

R_N
21st March 2011, 1:04 AM
Usually they try their best to avoid those kind of situations, but sometimes they just hope no one notices. They've done it before with Lickitung (could get Rollout from an Emerald move tutor) and Piloswine (Ancient Power was an egg move), and there were several retcons in HGSS (the whole egg thing and the thing about Oak "discovering" 100 new Pokemon that were litering an entire country to the west of Kanto and also within Kanto themselves), and FRLG had the odd "What happiness evolutions I don't see no happiness evolutions" thing

KickAsh
21st March 2011, 1:40 AM
I'm curious what the general total base stats are for Bugs this gen compared to older ones. They surely must be higher, mustn't they? We have in example Volcarona and Genesect, with 550 and 600 respectively in total base stats
The total base stats of all the final form/single form/legendary Bug-type Pokemon this gen is 4536.
Avg total base stats: 504
Avg base HP: 71
Avg base Attack: 88.8
Avg base Defense: 73.2
Avg base Sp.Atk: 83.3
Avg base Sp.Def: 76.3
Avg base Speed: 92.2
Keep in mind, this is only final forms/single forms/legendaries. So this tally does not include Joltik, Karrablast, Sewaddle, etc.

Porygandrew
21st March 2011, 1:55 AM
and FRLG had the odd "What happiness evolutions I don't see no happiness evolutions" thing

That was an amazing part on gamefreak's side: "What? Golbat can't evolve because I don't have the national dex?"

Crimson_Blazer
21st March 2011, 3:52 AM
Why isn't there a sprite thread like in HGSS? Are we just supposed to post in here? Because most of the intruiging things I've found from the animated sprites don't relate to Gen V pokemon.

R_N
21st March 2011, 3:57 AM
Why isn't there a sprite thread like in HGSS? Are we just supposed to post in here? Because most of the intruiging things I've found from the animated sprites don't relate to Gen V pokemon.

So what do they relate to?

Cobalt_Latios
21st March 2011, 4:00 AM
I think it's a shame that both Leavanny and Durant have that evil 4X weakness to fire, because other than that they're great pokemon. We really have come far from Butterfrees and Beedrills, and its fun to see a bug kicking a psychic type's butt for a change.

The Sewaddle line and the Paras line are also 4x weak to Flying as well.

Yes! It could be a literal ant colony; a big, 70+ foot rusty steampunk ant with a bunch of Durants crawling in and out of it during battle!

...No?

Well either way I want it to be named Antarchy.
Either that, or make it be a Queen Ant, kind of like Vespiquen, but as an Ant. I can imagine that it's speed would be abysmal, but it's Defenses would be insane. And just like Vespiquen, you could only use a Female Durant.

And just for kicks, if could learn a move that, if you have extra Durant's in your party, you'd get a 1.5x boost per Durant.

/CL

Mario with Lasers
21st March 2011, 4:25 AM
I'd love Game Freak forever if they made a Durant evo which was 1'' bigger, a bit fatter (because they love doing that), learned Earthquake and had its Defense and HP swapped.

Yeah, just that.

Porygandrew
21st March 2011, 4:39 AM
The Sewaddle line and the Paras line are also 4x weak to Flying as well.

Either that, or make it be a Queen Ant, kind of like Vespiquen, but as an Ant. I can imagine that it's speed would be abysmal, but it's Defenses would be insane. And just like Vespiquen, you could only use a Female Durant.

And just for kicks, if could learn a move that, if you have extra Durant's in your party, you'd get a 1.5x boost per Durant.

/CL

All they need to do is make a "Queen's Rock" to evolve a female durant.

And a "Swarm"-type move, other than Beat Up, IMO, has been a long time in coming for pokemon ever since I saw "Call for Family" in the TCG. The attack could be based on the number of a specific type in your party that match the user, and could even change to that type.

Cobalt_Latios
21st March 2011, 5:20 AM
All they need to do is make a "Queen's Rock" to evolve a female durant.
Or, better yet: Have it hold the Queen's rock, have at least 2 extra Durant in your party holding a berry (any berry), and proceed to level her to a specified level, then it would evolve.

And a "Swarm"-type move, other than Beat Up, IMO, has been a long time in coming for pokemon ever since I saw "Call for Family" in the TCG. The attack could be based on the number of a specific type in your party that match the user, and could even change to that type.
And only Vespiquen and "durant-evo" could use it.

Actually, I'd rather like that.

/CL

BW202
21st March 2011, 5:38 AM

I'm torn between the Dwebble and Venipede lines as my favorite Bug overall. The bugs have been extremely impressive to me as well. Some actually look badass especially compared to previous generations. This generation of fossils are also my favorite as I actually like both lines and they're both pretty good competitive wise. Overall, this generation has impressed me immensely, especially compared to the mediocre 4th Gen.

Dr. Leggs
21st March 2011, 5:55 AM
Dwebble and Crustle have grown on me incredibly, to the point that I spent much of the week trying and eventually succeeding in breeding a male Careful Dwebble with Sturdy, which I'm currently EV-training. And I've found that I love each and every Bug-type in this gen, which is kind of a first. :o

Sion Reaver
21st March 2011, 8:11 AM
I'm enjoying the bug Pokemon being stronger then they were previously as well, it was a nice change. I am sad my buddy Beedrill isn't all that strong, but still like its design. At least Butterfree got Quiver Dance, he hasn't gotten anything.

Though, I suppose:

1. Ability: Sniper(Gotta wait for the dream world...)

2. Focus Energy

3. Scope Lens

4. ?

5. Profit!

Not the best, but I suppose once I trade over my Beedrill that has good EV/IV's and those added gives her some interesting possibilities if I can pull it off.

XXD17
21st March 2011, 5:26 PM
Hey I just realized something interesting about reuniclus...this pokemon has always bugged me because no matter how I looked at it, I can see the homunculus part but couldn't tell remotely how it looked like a cell...it pre-evolutions are obvious where solosis resembles a single eukaryotic cell while duosin resembes a cell going through anaphase of mitosis...now I finally know what reuniclus is...it's a bipolar neuron(one with with two axons).http://library.thinkquest.org/C0126536/neuron_type.gif The major cell body is also reunuclus's main body and the dendrites and axons(the branchlike things) are reuniclus's arms...the nucleus is the little creature surrounded in the membrane...The fact that it's pokedex description says it joins hands to amplify psychic power lends itself to how neurons connect to eachother via the dendrites to convey electrical signals...the fact that it is a neuron(a brain cell) also explains why it's a psychic type

LexSuicune
21st March 2011, 6:45 PM
That was an interesting read XXD17, and Solosis is one of my favourite Pokemon the fact that it's a Homunculus only makes it better.

reedifer22
21st March 2011, 8:43 PM
With a BST of 484, Durant doesn't need an evolution. Only three NFE Pokemon have higher base stat totals: Scyther, Porygon2, and Electabuzz, and the joke with Scyther is that it actually doesn't increase its stats upon evolving. Give Durant the "Hustle" ability, slap on the move Hone Claws, and watch him do work. He's even better with Light Screen Support or an Amnesia/Calm Mind Baton Pass.

Has anyone noticed that Watchog just might be the best Pokemon "catcher" in the entire series? Super Fang, Hypnosis, Mean Look, Baton Pass? Wow. The only way it gets better is if he knew Spore. Theoretically, Smeargle could be better because it could learn Spore, but Watchog is stronger defensively, so that counts for something.

PokemonOwn
21st March 2011, 8:55 PM
@reedifer

Gen 1 - Raticate
Gen 2 - Smeargle
Gen 3 - Smeargle
Gen 4 - Smeargle
Gen 5 - Watchog

Watchog can learn Sand Attack. Painful against non-flyers.

Porygandrew
21st March 2011, 9:18 PM
Hey I just realized something interesting about reuniclus...this pokemon has always bugged me because no matter how I looked at it, I can see the homunculus part but couldn't tell remotely how it looked like a cell...it pre-evolutions are obvious where solosis resembles a single eukaryotic cell while duosin resembes a cell going through anaphase of mitosis...now I finally know what reuniclus is...it's a bipolar neuron(one with with two axons).http://library.thinkquest.org/C0126536/neuron_type.gif The major cell body is also reunuclus's main body and the dendrites and axons(the branchlike things) are reuniclus's arms...the nucleus is the little creature surrounded in the membrane...The fact that it's pokedex description says it joins hands to amplify psychic power lends itself to how neurons connect to eachother via the dendrites to convey electrical signals...the fact that it is a neuron(a brain cell) also explains why it's a psychic type

I always thought Reuniclus was a failed, gooey darmanitan...

Dr. Leggs
21st March 2011, 9:35 PM
I always thought Reuniclus was a failed, gooey darmanitan...

Besides their vaguely humanoid appearance (and Darmanitan is a real stretch even there), what on Earth do those two share in common...?

SasakiThePikachu
21st March 2011, 9:58 PM
Besides their vaguely humanoid appearance (and Darmanitan is a real stretch even there), what on Earth do those two share in common...?

Nothing discernible, even by the biggest stretch of imagination ^^;;

And Reuniclus isn't a failed anything...the little dude is made of pure win.

Kariachi
22nd March 2011, 1:25 AM
Nothing discernible, even by the biggest stretch of imagination ^^;;

And Reuniclus isn't a failed anything...the little dude is made of pure win.

Dude is made of pure jello.

Hatched the Larvesta egg, trained her up to Volcarona. Fiera, my glowy moth, you are astounding. I vote your kind, tied for best bug with Durant. Agree?

noahk
22nd March 2011, 1:33 AM
Reuniclus will EAT you haters!

Kariachi
22nd March 2011, 1:56 AM
Reuniclus will EAT you haters!

No hate, man! Little dude's awesome! Jello with a brain! Sounds like a cheesy B horror!

Dr. Leggs
22nd March 2011, 2:33 AM
Reuniclus has basically one-shotted everything at the Battle Subway thus far, he's really amazing me with his offensive ability. Even his slow speed is mitigated by his coverage, stats and Magic Guard. Easily one of my all-time favourite Pokemon.

The Oncoming Storm
22nd March 2011, 3:42 AM
Reuniclus has basically one-shotted everything at the Battle Subway thus far, he's really amazing me with his offensive ability. Even his slow speed is mitigated by his coverage, stats and Magic Guard. Easily one of my all-time favourite Pokemon.

same here mine wrecks the subway witha a movepool of calm mind, energy ball, hp bug, and psychic. I love my jello. J-E-L-L-O IT'S ALIVE.

successfulfailure
22nd March 2011, 3:45 AM
Awe, I love that squishy little bundle of joy. Although I don't really use it for much as of moment, I rather enjoyed it in my party previously. It makes me think of a better looking cousin of Ditto.

Mudkip kid
22nd March 2011, 5:19 AM
Does anyone else out there absolutely despise lillipup? I just hate the stupid thing. Its just a dog, but it can be so annoying to fight and is just plain irritating!!!

R_N
22nd March 2011, 5:20 AM
Does anyone else out there absolutely despise lillipup? I just hate the stupid thing. Its just a dog, but it can be so annoying to fight and is just plain irritating!!!

Screw you Lillipup is adorable and the whole line is great

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 5:23 AM

i like it. it might be a bit anoying at first but.. its pretty good to EV train against

Rakurai
22nd March 2011, 5:31 AM
I like Lillipup simply for being one of the few Pokemon that appears on the first route, but is actually good later on (The only other one I can think of being Staraptor).

yeminied
22nd March 2011, 6:05 AM

I have to agree and disagree. Lillipup is simply adorable but is no joke when it comes to attacking. Herdier is bareable but Stoutland is ugly as sin. Urg!

BCVM22
22nd March 2011, 6:11 AM

Dog hater.

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 6:14 AM

$5 says you like Purrloin.

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 6:16 AM

Dog hater.

$5 says you like Purrloin.

everyone is haten Mudkip Kid.

again. its good to EV train against. I actually like it. it reminds me if my cousins dog :3

BW202
22nd March 2011, 6:20 AM
I have to agree and disagree. Lillipup is simply adorable but is no joke when it comes to attacking. Herdier is bareable but Stoutland is ugly as sin. Urg!

WHAT?!?! It has f***ing moustache armour! That is made of pure win. Probably my favorite pure Normal ever. Also, despite hating cats, I do like the Liepard line despite it's mediocre stats.

DarumakkaImposter
22nd March 2011, 6:23 AM
WHAT?!?! It has f***ing moustache armour! That is made of pure win. Probably my favorite pure Normal ever. Also, despite hating cats, I do like the Liepard line despite it's mediocre stats.

meh..... leipard is ok. i used it to beat skyla but that was about it

TehBrawlGuy~
22nd March 2011, 6:29 AM
everyone is haten Mudkip Kid.

again. its good to EV train against. I actually like it. it reminds me if my cousins dog :3

Nah, just making a cat person/dog person joke.

Lillipup is pretty cool, though.

R_N
22nd March 2011, 6:39 AM
Dog hater.

Hey BCVM22, hey BCVM22
The foe's Herdier used Take Down.

BCVM22
22nd March 2011, 6:51 AM
Yeah, and Throh used Revenge. Take that, pup. What now, Lenora? WHAT NOW?

R_N
22nd March 2011, 6:56 AM
Yeah, and Throh used Revenge. Take that, pup. What now, Lenora? WHAT NOW?

Watchog used Retaliate!
It's a Critical Hit!

SasakiThePikachu
22nd March 2011, 12:06 PM
Lilipup...methinks the people who hates its line are the people who battled against it (and probably had take down used against them), and the people who love its line are the people who used it in their party. It's one of THOSE pokemon.

Sorta like Emolga. I wanted to stuff Elesa's Emolga into a sack and throw them off a bridge. But my Emolga? I heart her.

As I play through, I just keep finding pokemon I want to raise. I just cannot get over how amazing the variety of pokes and movepools are this gen. I think this might well be on its way to being my fave game yet...

sleepyhealer
22nd March 2011, 12:08 PM
Will the new 3DS able to allow us to play ds carts?

nxnja
22nd March 2011, 12:10 PM
Will the new 3DS able to allow us to play ds carts?

Yeah, of course with no 3D effect though.

sleepyhealer
22nd March 2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, of course with no 3D effect though.

Thats cool i can tranfer my heartgold and my plat pokemon over.

tjb90
22nd March 2011, 2:55 PM
The Black and White Pokemon are awesome. Every one of them is cool to me. I really like the ideas and the designs of the Pokemon this generation.

successfulfailure
22nd March 2011, 5:04 PM
I was sketchy at first. I didn't really care for any of the new fifth gen Pokemon. Now that I've played it though, and gotten used to them, I'm actually finding a lot of them that are my favorites.

Slowemperor
22nd March 2011, 8:32 PM
Lilipup: so cute.
Herdier: awsome design, so annoying in fights...
Stoutland: not as awsome as it could be... still nice.
It is a nice line actually. It just a shame their counterpart wasn't half as well developed. Purloin is nice, and Liepard has a particular style but battle wise is... not very good.
Have you ever imagined a Reuniclus without a blob? Loses 75% of awsomeness, wins 75% creepiness. Specially with frowny eyes and inverted smile, Tim-Burton-creepy. One of my new favourite pokémon.
What about Co***grigus line? I used to dislike Yamask but when I started imagining it as a depressed Woobie I grew to like a lot. His design is simple yet interesting. Co***grigus himself is just pure, if you allow me the term, epic. It´s directly inspired by Acient Egypt, has the most evil eyes of the new ghosts, good animation. It just could use a secondary type. Ghost/Steel would have been so great...

SasakiThePikachu
22nd March 2011, 8:49 PM
It is a nice line actually. It just a shame their counterpart wasn't half as well developed. Purloin is nice, and Liepard has a particular style but battle wise is... not very good.
Have you ever imagined a Reuniclus without a blob? Loses 75% of awsomeness, wins 75% creepiness. Specially with frowny eyes and inverted smile, Tim-Burton-creepy. One of my new favourite pokémon.
What about Co***grigus line? I used to dislike Yamask but when I started imagining it as a depressed Woobie I grew to like a lot. His design is simple yet interesting. Co***grigus himself is just pure, if you allow me the term, epic. It´s directly inspired by Acient Egypt, has the most evil eyes of the new ghosts, good animation. It just could use a secondary type. Ghost/Steel would have been so great...

Dude, you're allowed to say Cofagrigus. It's not a naughty word...

Its design is epic, but the pokemon I want most for my team are the ones I find tough to battle against...and every Cofragrigus I've seen has been OHKO'd by my Deino. It's disappointing. But you're right, the ancient egyptian flavour is very nice. More egyptian based pokes please, gf!!

Sigilyph is...wow. Couldn't stand it when the design was first released, but every Sigilyph I've battled has been evil. I have to have one next time I play through...

Absol Wings
22nd March 2011, 8:50 PM
Actually, the Liepard line isn't their counterpart. It's the Patrat/Watchog line counterpart, being both not very strong stat-wise, and having both just one evo. Lillipup has two.

Well, what else can I say that isn't already said? The more pokemon I encountered throughout the game, the more I wanted to raise. I' ve never had so many team changes in the same game.

Electric: First I raised an Emolga, then switched to Zebstrika, evolved a Joltic and gave Galvantula a try, then returned to Zebstrika.

Flying: I think i raised almost all flying types in the game. Started with Swoobat, then I changed her with a Swanna, after her came a male Unfezant, then the fossil Archeops....who were all blown away once I got a hold of an amazing Tornadus.

Water:I sticked with a beautiful bulky Alomomola till I was finally able to find a female Panpour (I just couldn't bear the thought of having a male Simipour).

Other: My Zoroark, Gothitelle and Golurk fought valorously for the last free spot in my team. In the end, Golurk's bursting awesomeness won me over, so he's the one who got the job.

Slowemperor
22nd March 2011, 9:02 PM
Dude, you're allowed to say Cofagrigus. It's not a naughty word...

Its design is epic, but the pokemon I want most for my team are the ones I find tough to battle against...and every Cofragrigus I've seen has been OHKO'd by my Deino. It's disappointing. But you're right, the ancient egyptian flavour is very nice. More egyptian based pokes please, gf!!

Sigilyph is...wow. Couldn't stand it when the design was first released, but every Sigilyph I've battled has been evil. I have to have one next time I play through...

If it is a curse word in Global Link it is here! I was just making fun of the ridiculous necessity of nicknaming Co***grigus. Sigilyph was going to be my psychic pokémon, I even nicknamed, but then I remembered I bought White for Reuniclus, maybe later on. But the Native American design is great. It makes a beautiful duo sided by Xatu.

And I just said Lilipup was counterpart to Purloin because, well, it's a cat and a dog.

Dr. Leggs
22nd March 2011, 9:22 PM
It's a nice duo, but aside from Magic Bounce, Sigilyph completely outclasses Xatu in literally every way.

KickAsh
22nd March 2011, 9:39 PM
Alright you guys, who wants to name their top 10 favorite Pokemon of Gen V? Go.

For me, it's:
10. Gothitelle--Reminds me a lot of Jynx, and for some inexplicable reason I've always liked Jynx. So I'm glad to see a Unovan reboot of the Humanshape Pokemon, and I'm especially glad since I really like Gothitelle's design.

9. Crustle--If you ask me, I think Crustle is definitely underrated. It definitely takes awhile to get used to it, but once I did, I was smitten with it. It's so neat.

8. Virizion--Classy design. Virizion looks like the kind of Pokemon that, were it a human, would be sipping martinis, wearing tuxedos, and talking in a smooth British accent. Plus, I love that typing.

7. Bouffalant--I don't why exactly, but I'm sort of obsessed with Bouffalant. It doesn't get much attention, competitively, but I love it's design. It just looks so powerful, rebellious, and pissed off. It's like Mike Tyson, except in bull form. And that's awesome.

6. Kyurem--I like it better than both Reshiram and Zekrom, for sure. It's design is fantastic.

5. Pignite--It's weird that I like Tepig's middle evolution more than it's final evolution, but I just really, really like Pignite. The stance, charmingly round tummy, and resemblance to old wrestling clothes all combine to make one of the greatest starter-evos of all time.

4. Braviary--A badass. I mean, look at that beast. It's so cool. When it was one of the first fifth gen Pokemon revealed, I fell in love with it instantly. IT IS SO COOL.

3. Krookodile--Speaking of badasses, here's a Pokemon that redefines the word. Krookodile looks like the kind of creature I would have nightmares about if it were real, which means that, as a cartoon, I really like it. It looks so scary and cool, it should be banned just for being too-well designed.

2. Victini--Is it the unique typing or ability? Is it the design? Is it the little story it has all to itself on Liberty Garden? I think it's all of the above, because I really, really like Victini.

1. Accelgor-- I find Accelgor to be so, so cool. A Bug-type Pokemon I like is a rare thing, but to me, Accelgor redefines Bug-type Pokemon. It makes me feel like maybe they have a future, although I will always hold Bug-type Pokemon to the standard presented by Accelgor. I mean, look at it. It's body is a swirling cape. It's arms are folded. It's floating off the ground. It's ridiculously fast. It seems to be a ninja.
Awesome.

Honorable Mention: Beartic, Tornadus+Thundurus+Landorus, Escavalier, Whimsicott, and Scrafty.

Cobalt_Latios
22nd March 2011, 10:16 PM

I'll give this a shot:

10. Scrafty - I've liked this guy ever since I started to see all the possibilities this guy was capable of. And the typing gave way to some unusual, yet very good attack combinations.

9. Serperior - I knew I was going with the grass starter when it was revealed, but after seeing Serperior, I knew I had to have it. Despite being mono type with a somewhat weak movepool, it makes up by having access to some very powerful and robust grass type moves and have great Defences and superb Speed. And it's a snake :).

8. Zoroark - I was a tad bummed out at first due to it being an event Pokemon, but once NoA decided to be nice and let both Zorua and Zoroark be rather easy to obtain, I wasn't so annoyed. After using it, I have to say that Illusion is a very amusing ability. Force people to think you're something else, and they just start attack with what they think works... only to find out that it doesn't.

7. Chandelure - When Litwick was first revealed, I thought to myself, "a candle? What is this?!" However, after looking through it's evolutions, and noticing it turned into what is essentially a "haunted" chandelier, I begun to like a bit more. And besides, ghosts + chandeliers = haunted houses. Add to that Chandelure's crazy Special Attack stat, Fire and Ghost, and you've got a creepy opponent.

6. Haxorus - Despite thinking that it was based off a praying Mantis when it was first revealed, I still think it's a pretty awesome Pokemon. Pure dragon, crazy Attack, can have Mold Breaker, and is just overall very fierce. It may not be as ridiculous as say... Hydreigon (in overall terms), but it can still hold it's own, and looks pretty intimidating.

5. Archeops - Ability notwithstanding, Archeops is definitely a favorite for being based off something I don't consider many people know. Some might, but I've never seen an "Archeopteryx" as being a mainstream type of ancient creature. Many others are, not so much it. Then again, 3rd gens fossils were pretty obscure too. Fact is, those things are epic.

4. Mienshao - I was a bit undecided at first, but I definitely wanted to try my hand at using one. And I have to say, I like it. Great movepool, looks very different, and has an interesting design. My only complaint is that it can't learn "whip" based moves like say "Power Whip", or something to that extent. But still, I find it something different, and for that, it get's my vote.

3. Sigilyph - Initially had no intentions of using it. That changed as soon as I read what this thing could learn, and what it was capable of. Used it, have been very impressed ever since. Design wise, it's very original; native american based, but also a bit of Nazca lines thrown in there for good measure. And on that, it pretty interesting. The fact that it's part Psychic type helps out in some cases, and it gives it access to some helpful moves.

2. Galvantula - Being a Tarantula, I was a bit unnerved about using it... but, when you can make a Tarantual appealing, that says something. So, I gotta give credit there. Having access to lots of great Electric and Bug type moves really strengthens my like for this guy.

1. Zekrom - Part of my reason for choosing White in the first place. Gotta say, despite obtaining him near the end of the game, he's still an awesome thing. I really like the way the blue electricity "outlines" it to really give a foreboding look, while saying that he's a powerhouse. Design wise, it almost looks like he has 4 wings as opposed to just two, and the turbine tail really gives him a sort of technological look.

Honorable mentions: Lilligant, Reuniclus, Elektross, Virizion, Reshiram, Heatmor, Cofagrigus, and Scolipede.

/CL

Shiwin
22nd March 2011, 10:26 PM
Wtf? I just started and caught a Purrloin, raised it to level 12 and it can't even beat a random trainer's lvl 10 Lillupup. >>

KickAsh
22nd March 2011, 10:30 PM
Serperior - I knew I was going with the grass starter when it was revealed, but after seeing Serperior, I knew I had to have it. Despite being mono type with a somewhat weak movepool, it makes up by having access to some very powerful and robust grass type moves and have great Defences and superb Speed. And it's a snake :)
I like Serperior, too. I chose it and I have not yet been disappointed. This set:

Serperior @ Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Taunt
Leaf Blade

Is amazing.

Wtf? I just started and caught a Purrloin, raised it to level 12 and it can't even beat a random trainer's lvl 10 Lillupup. >>
Yeah, Purrloin sucks. And it doesn't get any better with Liepard, so ditch it now.

successfulfailure
22nd March 2011, 10:57 PM
Ugh, top ten favorites. That's a hard one.
10. Cottonee Because you can only get it on Black. I elohel'd. Wrong, but funny.

9. Virizion Love me some legendaries. For whatever reason, I'm fond of this one. Dunno why, but I love it. I don't use legendaries in my party ever, but if I did, you'd see this in thar.

8. Kyurem He's a beast. Once again, I don't really use it, but this thing is super awesome. When I first saw it, I was like "OHSHIIII." Dragon/Ice? Yes please. I was going to go against my strict, "NO LEGENDARIES IN PARTY" rule, but I didn't.

7. Chandelure I don't really use it, but it's pretty awesome. I could see Morty being all over it. I enjoy the look of it and it's types. Ghost/Fire just seems pretty awesome together.

6. Reuniclus I had this little blob from the getgo. I just couldn't resist. Had to have it. Plus, it does fairly well in battle. Solosis kind of looks like a butt though.

5. Galvantula Had this adorable bundle of electricity in my party for a while also. Joltik was just sooo cute and so was Galvantula. Got me out of some tight spots before too.

4. Braviary I don't think in all my days of Pokemon I've ever actually kept a Bird Pokemon in my party. I just don't care for Flying Types. This Pokemon changed my mind though. I love Braviary. Looks awesome. Is awesome.

3. Darmanitan I used to have him in my party. He got me pretty far and I loved using him. Plus, Darumaka is the cutest little thing and his Pokedex Entry is hilarious. But I no has him in mah partay anymores.

2. Hydreigon He's the bee's knee's. What's not to like. He's by far my favorite Dragon Pokemon ever. His level of awesome is just off the charts. So much badassery.

1. Volcarona I don't know what it is about this one, but it caught me and my heart. ISSOCUTE. I was pumped when it hatched and now it's my baby. It's odd though. I haven't liked a Bug Type this much since Scyther.

I'd like to say, it's hard to pick just six Pokemon for your party when there's like, 500 and some. So Nintendo should make more party slots. Just sayin'.

Electric
22nd March 2011, 11:11 PM
Does anyone else see how Bouffalant bears a striking resemblance to Tauros? They are too similar.

Also is Krookodile pronounced with a long o, as in goo? I don't see it's name being pronounced "Crocodile"

Maractus: That one generic grass type with no evolution that nobody knows about or uses much.

The 3 elemental monkeys are cool, but it bugs me so bad when a trainer has all 3 of them.

Trainer wants to battle! Trainer sends out Pan/Simisage.
*kills it*
Please don't send out another monkey...
Trainer sends out Pan/Simipour.
/facepalm

Lorde
22nd March 2011, 11:16 PM

I have some time before A.S. comes on so I'll bite:

10. Audino - I just love this thing to death since it gives out so many experience points. It really makes training easy.

9. Swoobat - I love its type combination and I like its design. I've always liked bats so I liked Swoobat the moment I saw it.

8. Swanna - I think it looks elegant and it was one of the first Pokemon from this generation that I really liked. Its cry sounds cute, too.

7. Emolga - They're tough in battle but they're as cute as can be. I haven't captured one yet but I'll go hunting for one later.

6. Sewaddle - I loved it when I saw it last Summer and then I saw it in action in the anime and I knew it was an awesome Pokemon.

5. Minccino - It's really cute but it's also really funny in the anime. I think its cry is adorable and I've already used one in Black version.

4. Virizion - It looks graceful so I had to put it on my list. It's the first Legendary Generation 5 Pokemon that I truly liked.

3. Zoroark - I loved how tough it was in the 13th movie but I also like how it can disguise itself as another Pokemon in battle with Illusion.

2. Oshawott - I don't like it much in the games since it kept fainting on me but I love the Oshawott that Ash owns in the anime.

1. Zorua - It's the perfect Pokemon IMO. It's cute, funny, tough and it was the first Generation 5 Pokemon that I saw, so I love it.

BCVM22
22nd March 2011, 11:16 PM
Does anyone else see how Bouffalant bears a striking resemblance to Tauros? They are too similar

No one has noticed this, no.

Absol Wings
22nd March 2011, 11:19 PM
I wanna top 10 too!!!!
Here goes:
10) Unfezant: Come on, tell me that a masked early-game bird isn't cool, and I'll laugh right into your face!

9)Heatmor: I like this guy way more than Chandelure. A cute anteater that looks permanently pissed off, with a clearly visible posterior hole that somehow doesen't look ridiculous but badass. I heart Heatmor :3

8)Mandibuzz: The very reason I chose black. It was love at first sight: Mean-lookig motherly nanny female volture with a bone apron?! Wow.

7)Seismitoad: I really don't understand why people don't bow before him. A big blue toad that looks you in a way it screams HUG ME! Shame it can't learn waterfall. Why, Game Freak, WHY?!

6)Leavanny: The very first bug I adore. Such an aristocratic, gentlemanly look on a thingie with a leaf-made collar? Give him wings and he'll be a flower fairy!

5)Stoutland: Yeah I didn't say Herdier, but Stoutland. Best dogmon ever. Yup, even better than Arcanine. No I'm not kidding.

4)Tornadus: A PRINCE CAME DOWN FROM THE SKY ON A CLOWD TO FLY ME AROUND UNOVA!!!! His mustaches are so cute! Also yay, first pure flying type ^_^

3)Reshiram: Eye-gasmic. Pure white wonder. Highest of all legends. Beautiful. First time I saw it, I forgot how to breathe.

2)Golurk: A phantom statue. Is that even possible?! First ground type I'm in love with. Glowing spiralllllllllsssz.....

1) Emboar-Serperior: Yeah sorry but at the first place there's a draw. The Beautiful boar with chinesey golden spirals, with a flame beard, that in battle animations constantly belly-drums, with the best shiny form to ever exist and an adorable wiggly tail and big nose. The divine Grass snake that shows you don't need limbs to be beautiful. The fist snake to be actually strong in battle. My new fav grass pkmn of all time.

KizaUchiha
23rd March 2011, 12:09 AM
3)Reshiram: Eye-gasmic. Pure white wonder. Highest of all legends. Beautiful. First time I saw it, I forgot how to breathe.

I agree, Reshiram is pretty much the only reason i chose black.

also, did anybody else notice the creeper in udella town?

Dracoste
23rd March 2011, 12:17 AM

Agree! Reshiram is also one of the main reasons why I choosed Black, It's just so, so, so majestic. And it also looks so fluffy and hugable for a dragon Pokémon.

also, did anybody else notice the creeper in udella town?
???

I didn't saw anyone creepy in Undella Town. Where is this "creepy" guy?

Cobalt_Latios
23rd March 2011, 12:21 AM
I'd like to say, it's hard to pick just six Pokemon for your party when there's like, 500 and some. So Nintendo should make more party slots. Just sayin'.
Rotating your team is always a valid option... just saying.

Also is Krookodile pronounced with a long o, as in goo? I don't see it's name being pronounced "Crocodile"
long "o", like in crooked, or "crook" like a thief. And seeing as how dark types are generally associated with that... yeah.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the older Pokemon's sprite animation, especially the ones like Lunatone, Solrock and Glalie, mainly just have a floating animation.

In fact, that's one of the big positives that gives me an incentive to replay certain older pokes; seeing them in the new animation.

/CL

Silent Conversation
23rd March 2011, 12:43 AM
long "o", like in crooked, or "crook" like a thief. And seeing as how dark types are generally associated with that... yeah.

Wow, really? I mean, I guess that makes sense, but... man, that's gonna change the way I think of Krookodile. I always thought that the 'krook' was pronounced like 'goo'. It seems to roll off the tongue a lot better than 'crook'.

JLaw72
23rd March 2011, 1:11 AM
Top 10s are fun. I'll do one.

10. Krookodile - I love Dark types, and this is the guy that originally attracted me to the 5th gen (even though I woulda bought it anyway)

9. Bisharp - The freaking red ranger mixed with a VR Trooper (anyone remember that show?) Freaking sweet.

8. Braviary - Don't have one yet but that thing looks beast and I am loving the stats on it.

7. Kyurem - Love Ice types and I love dragons...so...yeah....

6. Excadrill - Are you kidding? This guys is ridiculous. Great typing, love his moveset, can't wait to get him on my TTar team.

5. Reuniclus - I love the design of this little guy. I haven't EV trained one yet to reach the true potential or found what role I want him to play on my team, but I know he will be on my 'B team' at least.

4. Scrafty - Great design, great typing, just plain fun to use. Dark and Fighting is just win imo.

3. Zekrom - I don't use him really because Legendaries are generally not my forte, i just collect em, but he is probably the best looking Mon i have ever seen. So sleek and awesome...I want him to throw down with a Gundam or Goku or something....

2. Haxorus - Say what you like about his frailty and speed, but this guys is beastmode. Love his attack stats and design. Just a great Dragon type (3rd fav dragon behind Chomp I think)

1.5 Chandelure - I didn't know where else to put this guy. I love special attackers and he is just the best. Also he is a freaking chandelier. Awesome.

1. Hydreigon - A Dark Dragon. A DARK DRAGON? WITH A 125 BASE SPA? 0_o This guy is literally everything I could want out of a Poke. Love the design, the typing, everything.

The Oncoming Storm
23rd March 2011, 1:33 AM
Top ten.

Krookodile- evil sunglasses wearing mofo.

Galvantula- electric types are bad *** and this one is super pimp.

Scrafty- kickass fighting and dark type poke. plus moxie is a pimp arse ability.

Chandelure- haunted chandlier? Mo like HAUNTED CHANDLIER MOFO!

Reuiniclus- my jello is so cool. Its so strong and jelloey?

Braviary- best bird this gen. Blows unfeasant outa the water.

Samurott- its what all the waters this gen strived to be.

Excadrill- this poke came out of no where and blows its first gen paralel dugtrio outa the earth.

Carracosta- other good water this gen.

ZEKROM- THE BEST POKE EVAR!(imo)

These arent in order who I like most besides Zekrom. Hes my favorite pokemon.

GalladeX
23rd March 2011, 1:55 AM
Top ten? I'll bite.

1. Sewaddle - best Pokemon ever.
2. Pansear
3. Pansage
4. Panpour - I love all three of these guys. Great designs.
5. Sigilyph - really interesting design and dex entry, plus its strong.
6. Crustle - he'd be about number 8, but he was so amazing in battle.
7. Scraggy - its entire design and concept is just amazing.
8. Escavalier - Oh jeez. He's just...badass.
9. Scolipede - ...8 foot bug.
10. Oshawott - he's cute.

I wonder what BCVM22's Gen V favourites are? He always seems so enigmatic.

AuraChannelerChris
23rd March 2011, 2:21 AM
We need a top 10 gen V thread.

10. Lillipup - Puppy's so cute.
9. Emolga - Cute too.
8. Woobat - Just looking at its crazy-yet-hyper-yet-funny face (nose) and tooth makes me think it's kind of neat.
7. Golurk - It flies. Wait, what?
6. Timburr - Looks like a bastard, but gained points once it juggles its little wood behind its back (though the huge veins on its head scare me).
5. Shiny Purrloin - The shiny version is BLUE, and I caught one in my very first try.
4. Rufflet - I so want to nickname one as Ruffles.
3. Swanna - Looks majestic.
2. Dewott - Badass.
1. Oshawott - Cute little badass.

PsychoIncarnate
23rd March 2011, 4:25 AM
Wow, really? I mean, I guess that makes sense, but... man, that's gonna change the way I think of Krookodile. I always thought that the 'krook' was pronounced like 'goo'. It seems to roll off the tongue a lot better than 'crook'.

Confused how "Krook" could be mispronounced as "Goo"

XXD17
10.Zebstrika. This zebra is very cool. Even though its pre-evolution looks kind of cute, this isn't your typical herbivore. the spikes that adorn this thing along with its electrifying cry makes it sound like its ready to charge.
9.Volcorona. the boss-moth as I call it. the shape of this pokemon is very cool in general as well as its awesome color scheme.
8.Braviary. I just love the ferocity this pokemon embodies. that glare in its eyes coupled with its screeching cry makes it seem like its ready to kill the next thing it sees with those sharp eyes. a really cool pokemon.
7.Reuniclus. I love the inspiration behind this thing and it is so fun to draw it evolution line. They are so simple but so adorable and unique.
6.Mienshao. I love elegant pokemon and this has to be the most elegant fighting type I've ever seen...close seconds being virirzion and lucario...but it's super fast and super sleek so I really dig its design...also, I love mustelids...
5.Archeops. This colorful raptor has to be one of my favorite pokemon designs...not only is it very dragon-like in appearance, all the colors on its body just screams at you just like its cry...I love this thing despite its horrible ability...
4.Reshiram. When I first saw it, I thought it looked a little off with talons that seem a little too large...however, when I saw it in animated form, all its awkwardness went away...I really love how it has feathers and its color scheme is so gentle and elegant.
3.Hydreigon. I've been hoping for a hydra pokemon for a long time now wishing it were either dragon/ poison or dragon/ dark...and then hydreigon was created...I really love how it looks and how it roars...it's a beast in battle as well
2.Haxorus. One of the coolest dragons ever. It might not have wings but it still screams bossness threatening to chop off your head with a swing of its own...
1.Serperior. It looks very regal and elegant...I just wished it was grass dragon like it was originally intended. Definitely my favorite this generation. I also really like its cry.

TsukiMirage
Top Ten FTW

10. Sigilyph - It's design is so weird I can't help but love it.
9. Carracosta - Very, very useful.
8. Beheeyem - I love aliens.
7. Reuniclus - Googy awesomeness.
6. Bisharp - Pretty cool.
5. Hydreigon - Simply badass.
4. Emboar - Pigs are both cute and awesome.
3. Galvantula - Awesome look and typing.
2. Lilligant - Very cute flower princess.
1. Zoroark/Zorua - Evil fox, 'nough said.

PsychoIncarnate
23rd March 2011, 4:38 AM
01) Reuniclus - Most awesome pokemon ever. Only reason I gave this weird design generation a chance
02) Ferrothorn - Possibly my favorite grass type along with Cacturne and Breloom. I really don't like grass types, but this guy made it on my team
03) Eelektross - Why in the world didn't they have an electric eel from the start? Makes more sense than an electric rat. HE SHOULD LEARN AQUA TAIL THOUGH, or scald
04) Hydreigon - A dark dragon, and a hydra to boot. New favorite dragon.
05) Volcarona - I like moths. He's a moth THAT'S ACTUALLY USEFUL in combat
06) Genesect - FInally, a bug legendary!
07) Carracosta - Leatherback sea turtles are my favorite animal. This pokemon is based off the ancient ancestor of the Leatherbacks.
08) Scolipede - I like Centipedes, and this bug type gives them justice, for the most part.
09) Serperior - My favorite starter of this generation, for the most part. He'll actually be useful when his dream world variation comes out. Doesn't even compare with past starters though.
10) Braviary - Though he's so late in the game I have no use for him by that point, still a beast of a bird pokemon. Too bad he's not available earlier, I'd've probably used him.

Silent Conversation
23rd March 2011, 4:42 AM
Confused how "Krook" could be mispronounced as "Goo"

No, goo was just an example for the type of long 'o' that I thought was in the 'krook' of Krookodile. I didn't actually think Krookodile was pronounced Goo-odile xD

NegaiShipper~
23rd March 2011, 8:16 AM
10.) Cinccino - Not a hater of Cinccino. He's living in his own hair.
9.) Jellicent (Male) - Looks like Mr. Peanut with the 'stache. Always wanted Water/Ghost typing too. :D
8.) Cofagrigus - I just like the whole coffin thing. I know some people think it's unoriginal, but I like the 4-armed Ghost-type wall that looks like a coffin. (And Shiny looks good too.)
7.) Beheeyem - Aliens are awesome, his movepool is good. And his design isn't half-bad at all.
6.) Chandelure - A living chandelier, yes please. I'll take it.
5.) Cryogonal - Snowflake. With a great movepool. And he's hard to find. My Gen V variant of the pokémon you brag about owning. (Like Chansey, Milotic, etc...)
4.) Ferrothorn - A Forretress that can actually deal damage...Count me in. Plus I like the two spiky disks.
3.) Golurk - Iron Giant anyone? Especially Shiny. But even without it, STAB + Hammer Arm = unresisted. I'll take it, plus he looks amazing.
2.) Reuniclus - Cell Pokemon FTW. Nuff said.
1.) Serperior - Starter. Awesome. And his name rhymes with Rhyperior. Plus, it got Perversity in DW, so it becomes that much more amazing.

RedMage23
23rd March 2011, 8:27 AM
Cryogonal was the first wild Pokemon I encountered in Twist Mountain, in autumn. I failed to capture it and I was like "Whatever, I'll capture the next one". Then I looked at its rarity and was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Victini, Snivy, Munna, Excadrill, Sawk, Garbodor, Vanilluxe, Joltik, and Zekrom are my favorite Gen V Pokemon. Ironically I used almost none of those in my ingame team.

BW202
23rd March 2011, 8:28 AM
Let's see...

10. Crustle - Out of the outstanding Bug selection this generation, Crustle barely beat out Scolipede for my favorite. Dwebble is cute as heck, and Crustle's shell is just awesome.

9. Stoutland - This line ranks high up on my favorite pure Normal list. You start off with a cute puppy that's been hit with a pie XD. Next, you get an average but still cool looking dog. Lastly, you get a dog with epic moustache armour. How more awesome can it get? Didn't think there would be a better dog then Arcanine.

8. Unfezant/Braviary - These are tied mainly for the reason they look so different. Unfezant looks like the calm and cool guy that'll make you look stupid fighting him. Braviary looks the crazy guy that'll walk up to you and rip your face off.

7. Oshawott -The anime has made me fall in love with this guy. He is so freakin cute.

6. Zebstrika - Very interesting design that looks badass. Tied with Luxray for my favorite Electric.

5. Elgyem line - they're overshadowed by the other great selections of Psychics, but I like them the best because of a design we haven't really seen before that's been done really well.

4. Serperior - Third favorite starter behind Swampert and Typhlosion. Really like the snake design, he just looks badass.

3. Scrafty - Best competitive one on my team. Really interesting design, it just appeals to me for some reason.

2. Reshiram - Favorite legendary ever. He just looks awesome, so confused why White version is more popular.

1. Bisharp - His typing, design and everything is so badass. My new favorite Pokemon, he just has that cool about him that makes him so awesome. Definitely going to be used my next playthrough.

What do you guys rate this generation of Pokemon designs overall? I only really don't like 8% of them, so I'll give them a 9.2

Need to add some Honorable Mentions. Emolga, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Mienshao, Stunfisk, Ferrothorn, Samurott, Durant, Cubchoo, Whimsicott, Cofagrigus, Amoonguss. It's not fair to just choose ten favorites this gen.

PsychoIncarnate
23rd March 2011, 8:46 AM
Cryogonal was the first wild Pokemon I encountered in Twist Mountain, in autumn. I failed to capture it and I was like "Whatever, I'll capture the next one". Then I looked at its rarity and was like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Victini, Snivy, Munna, Excadrill, Sawk, Garbodor, Vanilluxe, Joltik, and Zekrom are my favorite Gen V Pokemon. Ironically I used almost none of those in my ingame team.

In the Winter, which is in about a week (Unless your keen on changing your DS's clock) Cryogonal has a 45% chance of running into

Dracoste
23rd March 2011, 9:23 AM
In the Winter, which is in about a week (Unless your keen on changing your DS's clock) Cryogonal has a 45% chance of running into

Errr, No... In the winter you have 500% more change to encounter one than in other seasons. Which means from 1% to 5%.

redroses
23rd March 2011, 10:52 AM
Will give the top ten a try aswell, with nr. 1 being my favourite.

10. Serperior: Just adore the elegant and royal design of it, besides it's very creative for a starter and I love snake pokemon.
9. Swoobat: There is just something very cute and sweet about it's design, it seems so friendly and the heart nose is way to adorable.
8. Excadrill: I like how chubby Excadrill is, is color combination is great and his typing is nice aswell. I find that Excadrill overall has a very interesting design.
7. Zebstrika: Badass looking zebra, need I say more?
6. Musharna: At first I didn't have any relationship with Musharna, but after a while I started falling in love with it's design and colors. I just love the calm vibe Musharna gives off.
5. Scolipede: For some reason I have a weak spot for bug pokemon, often their design look totally great and Scolipede takes the cake. I like that it's big. The colors are nice and his face expression is awesome.
4. Chandelure: Great colors, awesome idea, sweet type combo. Really like the direction ghost pokemon have been going in. Also like how elegant it looks.
3. Heatmor: The overall design of Heatmore is just totally awesome, the whole flow of his body. First of all I am sooo happy we finally got an anteater pokemon and am happy they gave it a creative type with fire. I like how it looks like it's wearing a suit with shorts, and his claws are awesome.
2. Krookodile: Love it's design, love krokodiles, love dark types. Krookodile is just so badass and awesome looking. Also with Krookodile I am happy they gave it a creative typing.
1. Hydreigon: Instantly fell in love with the whole line and was amazed of how the three head design was created for Hydreigon. I love dark pokemon and I love dragons. Hyfreigon became my favourite pokemon the moment I saw it, for me th whole design is just perfekt and badass.

SasakiThePikachu
23rd March 2011, 11:48 AM
I only get to pick ten?? ;__;

10. Chandelure - its spec atk stat makes me swoon, and its such a gorgeous, inventive design. I can totally picture one of these hiding in a creepy old mansion. And Litwick has emo hair!!
9. Serperior - smug snake personified.
8. Sawsbuck - it changes its outfit to fit the season! And it's so majestic!!
7. Lilygant - such a perdy little lady.
6. Mienshao - finally, an elegant, beautiful fighting type.
5. Samurott - a samurai otter...need I say more?
4. Haxorus - second most awesome dragon of the fifth gen. Earthquake+insanely high atk+mould breaker = win.
3. Hydreigon - how do I love theee, let me count the ways. One, two, three!
2. Gothitelle - a gothic lolita pokemon?! So GF do answer prayers...
1. Munna - pink and floral-patterned. That is all.

Special mentions go to Zoroark, Volcarona, Darmanitan, Braviary, Reuniclus, and Eelektross.

Dr. Leggs
23rd March 2011, 11:52 AM
No, goo was just an example for the type of long 'o' that I thought was in the 'krook' of Krookodile. I didn't actually think Krookodile was pronounced Goo-odile xD

Regardless it's hardly a change... Crook isn't normally pronounced as crook but more like cruuhk. Negligible pronunciation difference. :s

tombux
23rd March 2011, 12:04 PM
1. Volcarona I don't know what it is about this one, but it caught me and my heart. ISSOCUTE. I was pumped when it hatched and now it's my baby. It's odd though. I haven't liked a Bug Type this much since Scyther.

you got the egg one? i was lazy and got the lv 70 wild one ^_^

tjb90
23rd March 2011, 4:17 PM
10. Emolga - It is a cute and cool flying squirrel
9. Serperior - Its a a cool royal snake!
8. Braviary - A really cool american eagle pokemon
7. Haxorus - It is a really cool dragon with blades on its face!
6. Simisage/Simisear/Simipour - awesome elemental monkeys
5. Victini - An awesome and cute fire legendary! :D
4. Zoroark - a very cool dark type with an awesome ability and attacks
3. Zekrom - an epic electric dragon
2. Emboar - It is just a plain awesome fire pig.
1. Samurott - It is an awesome samurai sea lion!

PferdloverX3
23rd March 2011, 4:42 PM
Anyone else think tyranitar looks stupid in b/w? I saw him for the first time this morning he looks like he is thinking about something really hard and has this dumb look on his face! I'm sad cuz he's one of my favorite pokemon :(

Valoo.
23rd March 2011, 5:40 PM
1) Samurott- Love 'lil otters
2)Haxorus - Awesome dragon...loved the line
3)Braviary - War bird, powerfu,l cute pre-evo
4)Krookodile - Awesome typing cool line
5)Zoroark - Cool ability, based on a kitsune
6)Emboar - Just like him
7)Reuniclus - hee hee....it's a jelly bear!
8)Elektross - No weaknesses, looks cool
9)Zekrom -Cool types, strong looking
10)Cahndelure - SA is HIIIIIGH

LexSuicune
23rd March 2011, 6:02 PM
My top ten from Unova? Well...

Volcarona: Not only do I adore the sleek evil design of the moth, the typing and KILLER moveset/stats make it my favourite Pokemon.
Golurk: A Ghost Ground Golem with a Band-aid covering up his broken heart. I am in love.
Hydreigon: Dragon Dark badassness, plus Monozu's a member of the Beatles <3
Reuniclus: I've always wanted a Pokemon based on a Homunculus, plus Reuniclus is just adorable, like a teddy bear trapped in a cell.
Kerudio: Simply one of my favourite legendary Pokemon, I adore the typing and the Kelpie references.
Reshiram: The elegant design and the angelic looks are everything to me, simply astonishing
Mienshao: Finally a fighting type I can enjoy, elegant sleek design, beautiful moveset.
Ferrothorn: Fantastic defensive stats, mean design, beautiful typing
Samurott: I absolutely love the Otter line, they're the best water type starters since Feraligatr.
Unfezant: I don't care what anobody says about its moveset, I love the male and female designs, I think they're amazing.

Shin'ou
23rd March 2011, 6:23 PM
My personal favorite :

10. Swanna - Skyla's signature pokemon. Makes her looks like she could elegantly dance with it. And yes, it was Skyla that made me taken a liking to this swan.

9. Gurdurr - Well it's just my personal... I am aware he doesn't look that good, but he looks funny to me seeing as he resembles Komusubi from Eyeshield 21 a LOT.

8. Serperior - A cool regal looking snake.

7. Mienshao - An elegant chinese martial artist? Do want.

6. Druddigon - A dragon? No, it's a dinosaur!

5. Haxorus - Cool axe fang dragon.. Nuff said.

4. Scolipede - Very cool bug.. One of the best bug pokemon design out there.

3. Unfezant - I just love the male's plumage.. Female ones are meh.

2. Escavalier - Lance-wielding iron knight?.. Hell yeah, that's my thing!

1. Hydreigon - Instant love for the triple headed dark dragon.. Too bad the previous forms aren't that good.

isshoni
23rd March 2011, 7:40 PM
I wanna give this a try too! It's gonna be hard though.. I want to note that 99% of what makes me like a Pokémon is its design.

10. Braviary A very good design compared to many other birds. That particular shade of red just puts me off a bit.

9. Mandibuzz The queen of evil. So cool. It just looks mean.

8. Beheeyem I don't even know what makes me like this one, but somehow it looks beautiful.

7. Shiny Krookodile I've voiced my opinion on shiny Krookodile being way cooler than the regular. That penis-nosed ketchup bottle makes my eyes bleed, while the shiny one soothes my soul.

6. Mienshao Omg, finally a really beautiful fighting type. It's incredibly classy and hits you like an elephant falling down from the sky. Lucario was a step forward, but it was kinda too much of a supernatural with Psychic and Shadow Ball (who am I to talk when just today I finished breeding one with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere and Vacuum Wave..). Mienshao,however, is a real fighter breaking the mold. It still needs Power Whip, though.

5. Stunfisk I know this whole Stunfisk joke is growing old, but from the minute I laid eyes on him, I loved him with all my heart. He's just too cute, and that grin just screams "I am god, the puppeteer of all things". He's perfection.

4. Hydreigon Hydreigon's pretty cool and awesome overall and it certainly lives up to it's status as a pseudo-legendary.

3. Eelektross The only thing that could be better about Eelektross is it's colouring. In my eyes it's too colourful, but it's design is still too incredibly awesome to not to love it. I would've liked to see it in more plain colours. Even the shiny form looks icky, if it only had a shiny as awesome as Krookodile..

2. Cryogonal This little big snowflake is the embodiment of coolness (no pun intended). It just looks so incredibly beautiful in by eyes. That perfect symmetry and simple design.. I've always loved ice types.

1. Serperior I have no words for this one, it's just too perfect. I've always preferred the simplest designs in everything, which is probably why Serperior instantly had a place among my very favourite Pokémon. It's probably pretty self-explanatory if I name a few of my all-time favourites: Dewgong, Dragonair, Golduck, Umbreon and Gyarados. Nothing special, just simple classic shapes, colours and ideas fitted into Pokémon.

I'm devastated by the fact that DW was delayed and I won't be getting a Contrary Serperior any time soon..

Honorable mentions go to Dwebble for being almost the cutest Pokémon in existence with huge potential, only to be completely ruined by an unspeakably ugly evolution.

Also, Sigilyph is just beautiful and Nazca lines ftw. It's not on the list, because it could be even better. Very close call with Braviary.

DarthUr
23rd March 2011, 8:22 PM
the pokemon the trainers have after the national pokedex are really weak
my level 39 guy shouldn't be taking out a level 65 in one hit even if he has a type advantage

Dr. Leggs
23rd March 2011, 8:33 PM
I don't see anything 'simple' about Serperior and Gyarados. .___. And no hatin' on Crustle, foo'.

If you're talking about that first trainer with a Croagunk, Croagunk is 4x weak to Psychic... The thing dies to Psywave. >_>

isshoni
23rd March 2011, 9:04 PM
I don't see anything 'simple' about Serperior and Gyarados. .___. And no hatin' on Crustle, foo'.

Omg someone actually bothered to read my post ;;_____;;

I think they're rather simple. They both have a serpentine body without any extra limbs that could look awkward or be out of proportion. They also have very simple and monotonic colour schemes.

Gyarados might be regarded as a complex design, but it's just a combination of a dragon and a carp, which is a rather obvious design for a monster designed in Japan by a Japanese person (I have no idea if all of the first gen Pokémon were designed by Sugimori). To me it's simple, because it could have so much more going on with it.

And Serperior has a collar of leaves and a few leaves on the tip of its tail, nothing more.

I see them as simple and because of that I love 'em to death.

Seem
23rd March 2011, 9:13 PM
Omg someone actually bothered to read my post ;;_____;;

I think they're rather simple. They both have a serpentine body without any extra limbs that could look awkward or be out of proportion. They also have very simple and monotonic colour schemes.

Gyarados might be regarded as a complex design, but it's just a combination of a dragon and a carp, which is a rather obvious design for a monster designed in Japan by a Japanese person (I have no idea if all of the first gen Pokémon were designed by Sugimori). To me it's simple, because it could have so much more going on with it.

And Serperior has a collar of leaves and a few leaves on the tip of its tail, nothing more.

I see them as simple and because of that I love 'em to death.

Yes, Sugimori designed and drew all of the first Gen Pokemon.

While it's true they're simple, I think any more detail on those specific Pokemon would just look outrageous and silly. Like giving a real life snake a top hat and bowtie. haha!

The Eleventh
23rd March 2011, 9:17 PM
I'm way too tired to type out a top ten and give reasons for each, so I'll just do five:

5. Unfezant - At first, I didn't see anything special, but now I love its simple, female form.
4. Darmanitan - It's aesthetically OK, and its super stats speak for themselves.
3. Chandelure/Emolga - I can't decide. Chandelure is beautiful and has great stats, while Emolga is a complete troll. What's not to like?
2. Elgyem - OK, I'll admit it; I'm a sci-fi nerd. That's why I love Elgyem.
1. Axew - I love its small-but-feisty design, and its evolutions are very strong.

DarthUr
23rd March 2011, 9:21 PM
i just killed a level 65 drowsy with my level 38 oshawatt

isshoni
23rd March 2011, 9:23 PM

While it's true they're simple, I think any more detail on those specific Pokemon would just look outrageous and silly. Like giving a real life snake a top hat and bowtie. haha!

Exactly! First gen Pokémon were unarguably the simplest and that's why I like them the best. In later generations they've developed a tendency to put in too many things that ruin the simple beauty of the Pokémon. Examples of this are things like the skull on houndoom's 'collar' and the leafy curl on Leafeon's head (got the inspiration for these from the smileys next to this reply box).

This is why Serperior is my favourite Pokémon of Gen V. It's been left at a simple, yet effective state of design, without forcing any extra elements on it.

R_N
23rd March 2011, 9:52 PM
Leafeon's leafy head band and Houndoom's collar look just fine I think :<

Though it's nice that you're the first person to include Gen 2 designs in the "They're too complicated!" argument

Though Gen 1 was just as "guilty". Primeape's shackles come to mind (usually when a Pokemon has something on them, it's because of something their based on, but I'm at a loss for Primeape) and Beedrill's spears always stuck out to me.

Dracoste
23rd March 2011, 9:52 PM
I think they're rather simple. They both have a serpentine body without any extra limbs that could look awkward or be out of proportion. And Serperior has a collar of leaves and a few leaves on the tip of its tail, nothing more.

I think he does haves some limbs, he's holding his arms behind his back. Which gives him more "I'm better than you"/smug vibe.

R_N
23rd March 2011, 9:53 PM
I think he does haves some limbs, he's holding his arms behind his back. Which gives him more the "I'm better than you" vibe.

That's exactly what they are, you can see them in motion particularly well in the backsprite animation.
I believe they commented on this in an interview.

isshoni
23rd March 2011, 10:18 PM
I think he does haves some limbs, he's holding his arms behind his back. Which gives him more "I'm better than you"/smug vibe.

That's exactly what they are, you can see them in motion particularly well in the backsprite animation.
I believe they commented on this in an interview.

Yes I know he has arms.

I didn't say "only limbless Pokémon are simple/beautiful/to my liking", at least didn't mean to. I said what I said because Serperior still is a serpent and he doesn't use his arms for walking, and those arms really aren't 'extra limbs' either.

They serve a very important purpose in being one of those small details that make him so special. They're obviously there, but just barely, so that his overall design still stays very simple.

R_N
23rd March 2011, 10:21 PM
I was more just confirming Dracoste's arm claim, not making a crack at you. It's a very easy detail to miss!

isshoni
23rd March 2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah I know, it's all good. I just wanna make sure I'm not misunderstood, this is the internet after all. Nothing you ever say is good enough.

MetalFlygon08
24th March 2011, 12:56 AM
On the topic of Serperior, I personally think it's moveset would've been better with a few key changes

Add/replace

Poison Fang/tail (It's a snake, snakes have venom, even as an egg move)
Aqua Tail-Egg move
Dragon Pulse-TM or Egg move

Samurott
Shell Smash by breeding
replace fury cutter with sharpen
add clamp to the egg moves

Emboar
Submission via level up

KickAsh
24th March 2011, 1:26 AM
Aqua Tail-Egg move
Dragon Pulse-TM or Egg move
I think Aqua Tail would make it a little bit too good. Although if it can learn Dragon Tail and Iron Tail, it really ought to learn Aqua Tail.
And since you mention it, I really wish Serperior did have a dual type of Grass/Poison, or at least access to more Poison type moves. Coil, Gastro Acid, and Toxic is a little disappointing. Like you said, it's a snake.

Samurott
Shell Smash by breeding
replace fury cutter with sharpen
add clamp to the egg moves
Earthquake.
The biggest problem with Samurott is that it doesn't get Earthquake.
Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Empoleon...they all get in in through TM in Gen V. But not Samurott.

GalladeX
24th March 2011, 2:03 AM
O

I think Aqua Tail would make it a little bit too good. Although if it can learn Dragon Tail and Iron Tail, it really ought to learn Aqua Tail.
And since you mention it, I really wish Serperior did have a dual type of Grass/Poison, or at least access to more Poison type moves. Coil, Gastro Acid, and Toxic is a little disappointing. Like you said, it's a snake.

Some snakes aren't venomous, though...
How do we know Serperior isn't, too?

MetalFlygon08
24th March 2011, 2:38 AM
It get's toxic, and Gastro Acid, it's just an excuse for shafting the snake imo.

R_N
24th March 2011, 3:00 AM
It get's toxic, and Gastro Acid, it's just an excuse for shafting the snake imo.

Man everything gets toxic.
No seriously, if it can learn TMs, it can learn Toxic.

Meanwhile, Serperior is more based on boa constrictors and has no fangs to speak of (It doesn't even learn Bite or Crunch!) and seems to produce no poison of any kind (aside from Toxic which doesn't remotely count).

Gastro Acid is vomiting its stomach up, and not really poisonous per say. Most Pokemon that get it aren't poison, either. Only real oddities that learn it is Bellossum.

It should totally get Aqua Tail, though. I mean, come on, even Aggron gets Aqua Tail. Possibly Dragon pulse or breathe, too (since they love putting that on non-dragons)

Gokuzaru
24th March 2011, 3:23 AM
still, its kind of a let down that its moveset could have been so much better. sure its good, but as clearly stated by metalflygon, it could have been 10x better.

Hilbertio
24th March 2011, 3:24 AM
Contrary on Serperior is awesome, too bad Dream World isn't ready.

R_N
24th March 2011, 3:28 AM
I could also see Serperior with Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up

MetalFlygon08
24th March 2011, 3:33 AM
Don't all other snakes get it?

could've been bred on from them, and increasing both defenses? Heck just give us Stockpile.

Sabonea_Masukippa
24th March 2011, 4:27 AM
(I have no idea if all of the first gen Pokémon were designed by Sugimori).

(I know we've moved on a little bit, but)

No. Sugimori did not design all of first gen. He did draw the official art (as he continues to do so) and did design some of the designs, but there where around 10 people who contributed designs for 1st Gen Pokemon, some (many?) of whom are still working on the series, producing Pokemon designs (for example the woman who designed Pikachu designed Herdier, Minccinno and came up with the idea for Karrablast).

Cobalt_Latios
24th March 2011, 4:49 AM
Some snakes aren't venomous, though...
How do we know Serperior isn't, too?
I'm sticking with my thought that Serperior is roughly based on the Reticulated Python. Or, any of them really. Boa or Python, not sure which.

Meanwhile, Serperior is more based on boa constrictors and has no fangs to speak of (It doesn't even learn Bite or Crunch!) and seems to produce no poison of any kind (aside from Toxic which doesn't remotely count).
Hell, it learns wrap/bind at some point. Didn't use it for long, but that's a big trait of all constrictor snakes.

It should totally get Aqua Tail, though. I mean, come on, even Aggron gets Aqua Tail. Possibly Dragon pulse or breathe, too (since they love putting that on non-dragons)
Definitely give it Aqua Tail. Constrictors are known for being accustomed to the water. It definitely needs to learn Earthquake, or Mud shot... or something to give it more type coverage. The damn thing learns Aerial Ace for cripe sakes! Also, Serperior needs to be able to use Dragon Dance.

All I know is, Serperior may not have good attacking stats, but it's defensive stats make up for that. It just needs something to help with those "attacking" stats. Growth isn't half bad, but it needs something to help it damage better.

/CL

R_N
24th March 2011, 5:00 AM
I'm sticking with my thought that Serperior is roughly based on the Reticulated Python. Or, any of them really. Boa or Python, not sure which.

Hell, it learns wrap/bind at some point. Didn't use it for long, but that's a big trait of all constrictor snakes.

Definitely give it Aqua Tail. Constrictors are known for being accustomed to the water. It definitely needs to learn Earthquake, or Mud shot... or something to give it more type coverage. The damn thing learns Aerial Ace for cripe sakes! Also, Serperior needs to be able to use Dragon Dance.

All I know is, Serperior may not have good attacking stats, but it's defensive stats make up for that. It just needs something to help with those "attacking" stats. Growth isn't half bad, but it needs something to help it damage better.

/CL
It has a lot of stat ups. Calm Mind, Swords Dance, Coil (Which is basically Bulk Up but with an accuracy buff), Growth, and Contrary makes Leaf Storm a power up.
So the stats are fine, but that move pool...
It could probably get away with Bulldoze and maybe Rock Slide

Cobalt_Latios
24th March 2011, 5:06 AM
It has a lot of stat ups. Calm Mind, Swords Dance, Coil (Which is basically Bulk Up but with an accuracy buff), Growth, and Contrary makes Leaf Storm a power up.
So the stats are fine, but that move pool...
It could probably get away with Bulldoze and maybe Rock Slide
Hmm... I think I'll ditch Coil with Calm Mind. I'd do both, but I really like Leech Seed on my Serperior ;_;. Oh decisions....

/CL

isshoni
24th March 2011, 9:46 AM
I agree completely with that boa constrictor argument. It screams Aqua Tail or at least something. Stockpile'd be cool too. Although, if they made it a real snake they'd have to give it Surf and Dive too, and that's never gonna happen. One can always dream.

I'm still convinced it'll get something good in Gray. Anything's good compared to the current situation.

Seem
24th March 2011, 11:12 AM
Exactly! First gen Pokémon were unarguably the simplest and that's why I like them the best. In later generations they've developed a tendency to put in too many things that ruin the simple beauty of the Pokémon. Examples of this are things like the skull on houndoom's 'collar' and the leafy curl on Leafeon's head (got the inspiration for these from the smileys next to this reply box).

This is why Serperior is my favourite Pokémon of Gen V. It's been left at a simple, yet effective state of design, without forcing any extra elements on it.

Haha, that's fair enough, while I agree sometimes they got carried away, in other places it was necessary to add more detail.

I personally like the second Gen because of all the bright colours, new typings, and interesting designs. I loved Houndoom's collar haha!

Shiny Arcanine
24th March 2011, 4:00 PM
Frankly i have no one gen i love the most becuase frankly ive found atleast 5-6 per gen i find interesting and want to get

Arcanine Gen 1
tyranitar gen 2
swampert gen 3
Lucario gen 4
lilligant gen 5

theres more than those but for simplistics sake ill keep it short.

LexSuicune
24th March 2011, 6:48 PM
Haha, that's fair enough, while I agree sometimes they got carried away, in other places it was necessary to add more detail.

I personally like the second Gen because of all the bright colours, new typings, and interesting designs. I loved Houndoom's collar haha!

The second gen is my favourite as well.

<3

KickAsh
24th March 2011, 10:11 PM
I agree completely with that boa constrictor argument. It screams Aqua Tail or at least something. Stockpile'd be cool too. Although, if they made it a real snake they'd have to give it Surf and Dive too, and that's never gonna happen. One can always dream.
And if it's snake like, could it maybe get Dig? Snakes dart under rocks for cover all the time, and Dig is under the ground, but that's close enough.

redroses
24th March 2011, 11:04 PM
Sooo, just saw the new episode pictures and was shocked to see that Swoobat actually has legs, which looks kinda weird to me. Wouldn't have thought that.

isshoni
24th March 2011, 11:06 PM
And if it's snake like, could it maybe get Dig? Snakes dart under rocks for cover all the time, and Dig is under the ground, but that's close enough.

Actually, I was thinking about that and decided that it really didn't suit Serperior, who's clearly based on a rainforest or a marshland based constrictor snake. They tend to hang out in trees and in water a lot more than on the ground. So I see Dig and Earthquake more suited to the likes of Arbok and Seviper who are based on snakes living in more rough terrain.

That being said, I do remember watching a documentary about African tribesmen in a savannah hunting down large constrictor snakes from all kinds of underground tunnels made by a number of other species.

Still, I believe the reason for Serperior not getting Dig and EQ is the fact that it is based on those aforementioned tree-dwelling snakes. Even more so on the smaller species, so that it doesn't get Surf, Dive or even Aqua Tail, which would be obvious choices for a Pokémon clearly based on an anaconda or almost any other larger constrictor.

It's a real shame. Just imagine Contrary Serperior with Surf and Leaf Storm.

Dr. Leggs
25th March 2011, 12:42 AM
Sooo, just saw the new episode pictures and was shocked to see that Swoobat actually has legs, which looks kinda weird to me. Wouldn't have thought that.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/9d/528Swoobat.png
What did you think those black appendages were...?

R_N
25th March 2011, 12:44 AM
They're a lot longer than the pictures lets on (probably clings next to the body in flight?)

Dr. Leggs
25th March 2011, 12:47 AM
Oh, I see now. There's actual limbs.

Interesting, wouldn't have thought of that either.

redroses
25th March 2011, 1:00 AM
Yes, I ment the long legs, as you actually only see the feet in the sugimori art. I thin k I prefer them without the long legs though.

Absol Wings
25th March 2011, 12:29 PM
6. Druddigon - A dragon? No, it's a dinosaur!

5. Haxorus - Cool axe fang dragon.. Nuff said.

Actually, Haxorus is the dinosaur-looking one here, not Druddigon.
Dunno, looks like I'm the only one that realised it's got no wings.

manifesto
25th March 2011, 6:54 PM
Actually, Haxorus is the dinosaur-looking one here, not Druddigon.
Dunno, looks like I'm the only one that realised it's got no wings.

No, I noticed the lack of wings as well but I figure a type that fits a dinosaur that isn't a fossil is a dragon type. I find druddigon to be more of a gargoyle though, as it can't fly.

Lorde
25th March 2011, 8:12 PM
Druddigon? I hate those things with a passion. Drayden's Druddigon in particular gave me a hard time at the Opelucid City Gym since its Rough Skin ability kept hurting my Pokemon. It's my own fault for using a Pokemon with attacks that made physical contact but I didn't have many other options. Oh, and Swoobat aren't much better. I totally regret using one on my team. That thing is just really unreliable at this point. It looked like a cute Pokemon at first but now it's just annoying.

PokemonOwn
25th March 2011, 8:15 PM
Oh, and Swoobat aren't much better. I totally regret using one on my team. That thing is just really unreliable at this point. It looked like a cute Pokemon at first but now it's just annoying.

Why? What's so bad about Woobat/Swoobat? It has decent SP Attack, and awesome Speed.

I'm considering using a Sandile for my White version. Is this a good Pokemon to combat the 4th Gym?

Valoo.
25th March 2011, 8:20 PM
^ Well, I have Krookodile on my team, and it is good against her Zebstrika, but the Emolga's are quite difficult

Dracoste
25th March 2011, 8:31 PM
Druddigon? I hate those things with a passion. Drayden's Druddigon in particular gave me a hard time at the Opelucid City Gym since its Rough Skin ability kept hurting my Pokemon. It's my own fault for using a Pokemon with attacks that made physical contact but I didn't have many other options.

Ugh I hated that too, it was so annoying. But I found a way to take revenge in a fun way, I let my Audino hold a Rocky Helmet and his Druddigon got taken out by the damage of the Rocky Helmet.

Did the same thing with Ghetsis' Bouffalant, it was less ironic, but because he only used Head Charge he got damage from the Recoil of Head Charge and the Rocky Helmet.

R_N
25th March 2011, 8:32 PM
Why? What's so bad about Woobat/Swoobat? It has decent SP Attack, and awesome Speed.

I'm considering using a Sandile for my White version. Is this a good Pokemon to combat the 4th Gym?

There's better options, and I felt bad for boxing her, but she wasn't horrible. I don't see why one would hate it so much, though...

rocky505
25th March 2011, 8:35 PM
There's better options, and I felt bad for boxing her, but she wasn't horrible. I don't see why one would hate it so much, though...Sigilyph outclasses it. I tried using a woobat once but it was boring to me. I put it in the PC right when I arrived in the 2nd gym PC.

MetalFlygon08
25th March 2011, 8:38 PM
Druddigon, it kills multi-hit moves like tail slap...

AncientMew
25th March 2011, 8:58 PM
This has probably been posted before, it's a pretty obvious joke, but did anybody notice the walking metaphor pokemon? Timburr is actually tossing a log when you fight it.

[EDIT] don't bash me if this is an old and tired joke, don't come here too often and I don't read the Black and White discussions.

R_N
25th March 2011, 8:58 PM
Also I had no problem with any of Iris' Pokemon because I had a Vanillish and just Ice Beamed everything to death.

I have never had a problem with any dragon in the game thanks to her <3

Lorde
25th March 2011, 9:31 PM

Swoobat insists upon itself. It also faints a lot for some reason. Most of my Pokemon are sturdy enough so that they don't faint but Swoobat is an exception. It just faints too easily and I'm thinking of replacing it with something else. I need a Pokemon that can learn Fly so I'll do some research. I'm also thinking of replacing Serperior later on once I defeat the Elite Four. It wasn't such a good choice now that I look back. I think I should've just gone with my gut and chosen Oshawott instead of Snivy.

RedMage23
25th March 2011, 9:34 PM
Timburr is actually tossing a log when you fight it.

I've never heard that phrase before (except in the literal sense), let alone in the context of Timburr. In fact, I'm pretty sure you just made that up.

AncientMew
25th March 2011, 9:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I did not, maybe it's a phrase used only in my locality, can any other northerners confirm this?

Rainbowdashtheawesome
25th March 2011, 9:35 PM
Anybody else wonder why they gave Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion the ability Justified? I get it, they're the three musketeers (which is which, by the way; I want to nickname them by who they're based off of) and stand up to the forces of evil, but that ability just isn't practical for Pokemon with their typing. All of them are Fighting-type (and one of them is also Steel-type), so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

PferdloverX3
25th March 2011, 9:40 PM
Swoobat insists upon itself. It also faints a lot for some reason. Most of my Pokemon are sturdy enough so that they don't faint but Swoobat is an exception. It just faints too easily and I'm thinking of replacing it with something else. I need a Pokemon that can learn Fly so I'll do some research. I'm also thinking of replacing Serperior later on once I defeat the Elite Four. It wasn't such a good choice now that I look back. I think I should've just gone with my gut and chosen Oshawott instead of Snivy.

Have you thought about braviary?

Dracoste
25th March 2011, 9:47 PM
so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

....hehehehehe....
Someone who wants to lower their health just in the red to capture them and know that dark attacks don't do much damage on a fight-type Pokémonhttp://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4907/animesweat.gif

Cobalion=Athos
Terrakion=Porthos
Virizion=Aramis
Keldeo=d'Artagnan

R_N
25th March 2011, 9:53 PM
Anybody else wonder why they gave Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion the ability Justified? I get it, they're the three musketeers (which is which, by the way; I want to nickname them by who they're based off of) and stand up to the forces of evil, but that ability just isn't practical for Pokemon with their typing. All of them are Fighting-type (and one of them is also Steel-type), so what smart opponent is going to use a Dark-type attack against them in the first place? Their types already provide them with great defense against Dark attacks, so it's not like they need to worry about any real tough foes using Dark attacks on them.

Switch in on a dark type attack or other such silliness

Naluc
25th March 2011, 9:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the ability was meant to add flavor to the theme of the pokemon. They are stronger than the dark and will prevail vs darkness and all that good stuff.

Rakurai
25th March 2011, 10:09 PM

The same logic could be applied to Pokemon with Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Flash Fire, or any of those other absorption abilities.

The point is to switch into an attack and reap the benefits of your opponent's mistake, or exploit it in a multi-battle by having a teammate hit them with an attack to trigger the ability (Beat Up + Justified = maxed attack power at the expense of a tiny bit of HP).

Absol Wings
25th March 2011, 10:22 PM
Druddigon? I hate those things with a passion.
I know that's just your personal opinion, and I don't intend to do any trolling on you for that but...........I just NEED to say that I think Druddigon is beautiful....

Lorde
26th March 2011, 4:54 AM
Have you thought about braviary?

Yes. I don't particularly like Braviary but I did think about using one a while back. I'm playing Black version so I'd need to trade for it. At the moment I'm not really doing too many trades since my Wi-Fi is weird but I suppose I could do that later on when that problem is solved. I figure that Braviary might fit my needs so I can go ahead and give it a try. The only bad thing about Braviary is that it reminds me of ArrogantShipping :c

I know that's just your personal opinion, and I don't intend to do any trolling on you for that but...........I just NEED to say that I think Druddigon is beautiful....

That's fine. I think Druddigon is a decent Pokemon and I was even considering adding it to my team at one point but I didn't want to wait until Icirrus City, so I decided not to use one. I don't think I've ever trained a non-Legendary Dragon-type Pokemon before so Druddigon might've been fun to train.

Cobalt_Latios
26th March 2011, 4:59 AM
....hehehehehe....
Someone who wants to lower their health just in the red to capture them and know that dark attacks don't do much damage on a fight-type Pokémonhttp://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4907/animesweat.gif

Cobalion=Athos
Terrakion=Porthos
Virizion=Aramis
Keldeo=d'Artagnan
Would I be ridiculed here (doubtful, but I'm just cautious that way :/) for saying that I knew of only d'Artagnan, and no one else? I know of the 3 Musketeers, but I never knew their names, and d'Artagnan is the only one who's name I know.

The same logic could be applied to Pokemon with Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Flash Fire, or any of those other absorption abilities.
Yeah, I tend to forget that not every Electric type has static as an ability, or things like Vulpix/Ninetales and such have Flash Fire. Idiot move using Will-O-Wisp on one, then having my Chandelure be hit with that same move... and it has Flash Fire.

The point is to switch into an attack and reap the benefits of your opponent's mistake, or exploit it in a multi-battle by having a teammate hit them with an attack to trigger the ability (Beat Up + Justified = maxed attack power at the expense of a tiny bit of HP).
Out of all of them, Cobalion pretty much pulls this off without a hitch. Which makes me think; couldn't Lucario have gotten Justified? I would work wonders on it.

hmmm.... *checks main site*

How nice, it's DreamWorld ability is Justified. GF, once the DW is up and running, gimme a Justified Riolu.

Also... apparently since Dark Pulse is no longer a TM in BW, Lucario can get it now via Heart Scale. Awesome.

/CL

Mario with Lasers
26th March 2011, 5:00 AM

celebitrainer switched out Xatu!
celebitrainer sent out Terrakion!
The opponent's Tyranitar used Crunch!
oh boy here we go

That's how it works.

How nice, it's DreamWorld ability is Justified. GF, once the DW is up and running, gimme a Justified Riolu.

Nitpick, but Riolu's ability is Prankster. Priority Copycat + Circle Throw works... and I guess it's its only niche.

Cobalt_Latios
26th March 2011, 5:58 AM
Nitpick, but Riolu's ability is Prankster. Priority Copycat + Circle Throw works... and I guess it's its only niche.
Oh, didn't even notice that.

Well, I suppose once it evolves the ability would change, right?

/CL

InfiniteBlaze
26th March 2011, 6:18 AM
Anyone else feel they gave the starters the worst possible stat distributions for BSTs that high?

They basically made emboar a less extreme fire/fighting rampardos

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th March 2011, 12:03 PM
Via Shell Spider (http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-562.html#more) (go look at the pretty drawings of Bianca and so on) from the latest copy of Nintendo Dream, we have what appears to be the last of the interviews about the Unovan Pokemon! Some interesting tidbits here and there.

Pokemon Designs
Sugimori was head director of Pokemon Designs.

Tornedus, Thundurus, Landorus
Masuda asked for Pokemon based on Fuujin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C5%ABjin) and Raijin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin).
They weren’t completed until well into the second half of development.
Fuujin and Raijin are very close to looking human, so they thought hard about how to make them into Pokemon.
Asura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura_%28Buddhism%29) statues (http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~motch/ashura.jpg) etc have a really strong image so they asked the designer charged with making them to make their eyes really wide open or intimidating.
At first they were the Red Demon and the Blue Demon (http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E8%B5%A4%E9%AC%BC%E3%80%80%E9%9D%92%E9%A C%BC&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ja:official&hl=ja&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=612) but that clashed with Sawk and Throh.
As a result, the horns that Nageki and Dageki originally had were removed and replaced with those eyebrows.
Landorus was added later, after there was a change made to the game.
The idea is to be like the god of soil.
Tornadus and Thundurus flow from their heads backwards, while Landorus flows from left to right, so the angle in their official art is different to set Landorus apart from the other two.

[B]Mienfoo & Mienshao
From the planner’s point of view, there weren’t enough Fighting-types so they ask for these to be made. Because many of the previous Fighting-types have been human-shape, when they asked for an animal-like one, they got this design that’s like a stoat.
Because, up until now, there had been no Fighting-Type that used elements of Kung-Fu, they decided to include that.

Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
At first, these incorparted an army tank motif, and the marks that look like a conveyor belt on the upper part of Zweilous’s legs are the remnants of that.
Initially, they didn’t work as designs and were basically ‘put to sleep’, however, a three-stage powerful Dragon-type family was ordered and they were resurrected.
In the second half of development, there was discussion about making them a colour that was not used much in the Pokedex, and from all the candidates, a strong looking purple was chosen.
The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamata_no_Orochi)(mythical Japanese serpent (http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%82%BF%E3%83%8E%E3%8 2%AA%E3%83%AD%E3%83%81&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ja:official&hl=ja&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=612) with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.
The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

Golett and Golurk
Designed by an Englishman ****anslator’s note: James Turner]
This designer will write/draw many pages of details about a single Pokémon.
The metal (?) fixture on Golurk’s chest is sealing in uncontrollable power and Mr. Umino states that the seal looking like a band-aide is firmly intended and included as a part of the design.

Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe
Designed by the same Englishman.
He wanted to make them a ‘fusion’ evolution, like Dugtrio or Magneton, and suggested as such.
The idea is that Vanillite is a cup, Vanillish is a cone, Vaniluxe is a 2-scoop cone.
The ice on the upper sections of the body are simply covered in snow that looks like ice-cream but they have a proper ice-body hiding underneath.
There are designs of them with their snow completely removed, but these are yet to be released ****anslator’s Note: Vanillite was seen without its snow in the 4-panel comics from one of the guidebooks]

Durant & Heatmor
Both designed by Sugimori (Sawk, Throh, Zekrom, Reshiram).
These two are a set based on an ant and an ant-eater
These two appear on Victory Road,
There was born from an idea that the ants have dug the cave and that the ant eaters have entered in order to hunt and eat them.
From a long time ago they wanted to make an ‘ant’ Pokemon be the smallest Pokemon but, this time the form had more importance placed on it.
Because Heatmor is eating steel, added the images of an ironworks into its design.

Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross
Ohmura (Oshawott's line) came up with the idea.
He believed that turning an eel into a monster would look really strong and that belief was realised into a Pokémon.
He says that in the past, he caught a really huge eel in a nearby river and it was really disgusting, but that atmosphere was combined with the original strong image of the line.
The one closest to the original image of disgusting and strong is Eelektrik.
They thought of Tynamo because they wanted the line to mirror how a real eel grows up in the Pokemon’s evolution.

Rufflett & Braviary
The opposite of Mandibuzz.
Umino (Pansage, Pansear, Panpour) designed it early on in the development.
Because the region was based on New York, he instantly thought of a bald eagle.
Then, he tried adding the red, white and blue of the Star-Spangled Banner.
He wanted to make a Pokemon you knew was a bird of prey instantly, so he gave it powerful, thick legs and added elements of Native American art.
Rufflett has Native-American-style wings but he really like white-headed fluffy chicks so he basically made it into one of those.

Vullaby and Mandibuzz
Born quite late in development.
At the time the Englishman designed a bird Pokemon they had plenty, but they used his design as a counter-part to Braviary.
The bones on Vullaby are a nest made from the bones of other Pokemon, and Vullaby growns up inside of it.
When Mandibuzz is warming a Vullaby egg inside its nest, it matches the bones of Mandibuzz and look like it’s sitting on an upside-down skeleton.

Foongus & Amoongus
Foongus catches trainers who mistake it for a Pokeball, but for Amoogus, no one is going to mistake it for a Pokeball so they included that as part of its [Japanese] name. ****anslator’s Note: Amoongus’s JPN name is Morobareru which includes a verb that means ‘to be uncovered/found out’]
The black dot in the centre of its face is its mouth and from there it spits out spores.

Ferroseed & Ferrothorn
They were made after an order for a Grass/Steel combo came in the second half of development.
They were designed by the same person as Foongus and Amoongus.
The planner’s suggested it be like a seed that attaches to clothing and things.
There’s an idea that there’d by many of them attached to rock faces.

Basculin
Born from the realization that they needed to make a relatively 'standard' Water-type Pokemon, which they didn’t originally have. Its designed to be a fish-type Pokemon that you could be eaten by.
It’s based on a Bass because you can fish for Bass in New York.
They made two forms because of the low number of fish-type Pokemon in the dex.

What is your favourite Unova Pokemon?
Sugimori: Dwebble & Emolga
Umino: Trubbish
Ohmura: Amoongus

That appears to be the end of all the interviews discussing the new Pokemon.

Mario with Lasers
26th March 2011, 1:34 PM
Mienfoo & Mienshao
From the planner’s point of view, there weren’t enough Fighting-types so they ask for these to be made.

...Is he kidding me.

The ‘heads’ of Hydreigon’s are really hands and do not hold even the slightest bit of individual brain power.

So it did lose a brain upon evolution? Creepy.

Dracoste
26th March 2011, 1:40 PM
The motif for the line are Yamata no Orochi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamata_no_Orochi)(mythical Japanese serpent (http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%82%BF%E3%83%8E%E3%8 2%AA%E3%83%AD%E3%83%81&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ja:official&hl=ja&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=612) with 8 heads), but actually giving it so many heads made it a little displeasing so they gave Hydreigon one ‘real’ head, and made its arms and wings look like it had many heads when in silhouette.

Wow, so Orochi has something to do with Hydreigon's design, I remember him from Okami. And the wings represents the other heads of a hydra. I would never though of that if I haven't read it. So...It actually has hand puppets:D

Vullaby and Mandibuzz
Born quite late in development.
At the time the Englishman designed a bird Pokemon they had plenty, but they used his design as a counter-part to Braviary.
The bones on Vullaby are a nest made from the bones of other Pokemon, and Vullaby growns up inside of it.
When Mandibuzz is warming a Vullaby egg inside its nest, it matches the bones of Mandibuzz and look like it’s sitting on an upside-down skeleton..

Ah, so that's why Vullaby wears a skull diaper when it gets born, that's actually pretty smart.

So it did lose a brain upon evolution? Creepy.

I don't think it loses a brain. Deino has one brain, and when it evolves into a Zweilous it's brain splits, each gets a half of the brain, and when Zweilous evolves those two halfes comes together. That's how I see it.

Sabonea_Masukippa
26th March 2011, 1:52 PM
...Is he kidding me.

Apparently not. ;)

Although, I can see where they might have been coming from - if you take away legends and starters there's only 5 fighting families (Including Sawk + Throh seperately), 4 if you take away Mienfoo, in Unova and maybe they wanted the New York region have a lot of fighting types. For some reason.

Dracoste
26th March 2011, 2:02 PM
Apparently not. ;)

Although, I can see where they might have been coming from - if you take away legends and starters there's only 5 fighting families (Including Sawk + Throh seperately), 4 if you take away Mienfoo, in Unova and maybe they wanted the New York region have a lot of fighting types. For some reason.

Perhaps for the E4? I don't know when they decided the types for the E4. And one of the fighters belong to Grimsley(Again, I don't know when they decided this) so that means that only three are left for Marshal. I'm very glad they said there were not enough Fighting type Pokémon, cause(IMO) Mienshao is one of the most awesome Fight-type Pokémon ever, it's so elegant and stuff!

Ice only has 3 5th gen lines(not counting legendarys) and that is enough for a gym leader. As gym leader you basicaly only need one line with 3 Pokémon(Morty)

BlueEew
26th March 2011, 2:26 PM
I traded Boldore to evolve it into Gigalith and nothing happened, am I missing something?

Nevermind.

Naluc
26th March 2011, 2:27 PM
They apparently think we fight alot in the US. And have lots of bugs.

Pyrax
26th March 2011, 3:36 PM
Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe
The ice on the upper sections of the body are simply covered in snow that looks like ice-cream but they have a proper ice-body hiding underneath.
There are designs of them with their snow completely removed, but these are yet to be released ****anslator’s Note: Vanillite was seen without its snow in the 4-panel comics from one of the guidebooks]

:O
I wanna see thosse designs.

Dracoste
26th March 2011, 3:59 PM
:O
I wanna see thosse designs.

Vanillite without snow.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2804/4komabanipucchi.jpg

Absol Wings
26th March 2011, 4:31 PM
Hey people guess what: Random thought about 5th gen pkmn
GOLURK CAN LEARN FLYYYYY!!!! Am I the only one here that thinks it's incredibly cool (besides whatever use in competitive battling)?!

Naluc
26th March 2011, 5:06 PM
I think it's awesome. Who doesn't want to fly on a ghost golem?

GaZsTiC
26th March 2011, 5:19 PM
I think Basculin is really cute.
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e1/Spr_5b_550.png

No. Really. <3 <3

SasakiThePikachu
26th March 2011, 5:41 PM
On Vanillite without snow...yeah, my expression when I saw it pretty much mirrored that of Pansear and Pansage -___- it looks like an old guy with his toupee removed!!

I know it's terrible, but I just cannot see that pokemon line without getting hungry.

ashgirl92
26th March 2011, 5:42 PM
Vanillite without snow.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2804/4komabanipucchi.jpg

That is really cool. Could someone translate it please?

R_N
26th March 2011, 6:17 PM
Ah, so nice to see more insights.
I wonder if the localizers were told of Deino's tank roots. I am really fuzzy, but I think Germany was one of the first ones to develop and use tanks...
Once more we see the "Well, we did it in 1st gen, so..." logic come back.
I loved liked how Vullaby's skull diaper is apparently remnants of its shells. I really want to see Mandibuzz nesting, it sounds cute.

I'm intrigued that Throh & Sawk used to have horns and be more oni-like. I wonder what they looked like before they were eyebrowed

ALSO
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=12163722&postcount=9174
I am puttiing this interview and all future interviews into this post for easier future reference

Grei
26th March 2011, 6:21 PM
Hey people guess what: Random thought about 5th gen pkmn
GOLURK CAN LEARN FLYYYYY!!!! Am I the only one here that thinks it's incredibly cool (besides whatever use in competitive battling)?!

Indeed, I do.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4435/4komagoruugu.jpg

R_N
26th March 2011, 6:32 PM
Wait damn it

We didn't get any interviews about Kyurem!
*upends tea table*

GaZsTiC
26th March 2011, 7:31 PM
Wait damn it

We didn't get any interviews about Kyurem!
*upends tea table*

Now look what you've gone and done! Your dinner is all over the floor!!

R_N
26th March 2011, 7:36 PM
Now look what you've gone and done! Your dinner is all over the floor!!
Have you seen Tea Tables? They're pretty small.

UNLIKE MY LACK OF KYUREM INFORMATION FUELED RAGE

Ememew
26th March 2011, 7:39 PM
My guess, the lack of Kyurem info is to avoid spoilers for the third game.

SasakiThePikachu
26th March 2011, 10:50 PM
My guess, the lack of Kyurem info is to avoid spoilers for the third game.

^^ This. He's pretty much certain to be the mascot of the 3rd game, isn't he? Seeing as the 'big trio' are always the mascots.

Wonder if we'll get any cool in-world location additions, like Giratina's distortion world...

GaZsTiC
27th March 2011, 1:55 AM
Wonder if we'll get any cool in-world location additions, like Giratina's distortion world...

If there's a "Frozen Dimension" then Nintendo can have all my money.

R_N
27th March 2011, 1:58 AM
If there's a "Frozen Dimension" then Nintendo can have all my money.

I doubt there'd be a frozen dimension since Kyurem just plain doesn't live in one. It's not even kind of sort of iffy like it was with Giratina (where there was mention of a sort of afterlife like place).

That said...I do think it would be interesting if they played up Kyurem's freezing powers. When I went to catch him, I knew he froze over the area, but not to such an extent. Imagine if he did that over the entire Unova region (or just a section of it)

Psynergy
27th March 2011, 2:37 AM
I know it's terrible, but I just cannot see that pokemon line without getting hungry.

don't we all feel that way with them? but seriously, fighting with ice cream is pretty awesome!

Shiny Arcanine
27th March 2011, 6:18 AM
for some reason i noticed something while playing through black that I didnt in white the White Stone is sitting in plain site which i find quite amusing they had the right location but.....not the right object for a second i thought it was grey but its white(had to go back and check my black version to see if the other one is gone and yes it is. ^.^)

SasakiThePikachu
27th March 2011, 11:21 AM
for some reason i noticed something while playing through black that I didnt in white the White Stone is sitting in plain site which i find quite amusing they had the right location but.....not the right object for a second i thought it was grey but its white(had to go back and check my black version to see if the other one is gone and yes it is. ^.^)

Punctuation is your friend, not your enemy ^-^;; But yeah, I like that the stone is doing a Chekhov's Gun bit.

Snowyarticuno...omg that'd be a cool idea. Groudon causes droughts, Kyogre causes floods, and Kyremu will freeze the region and cause permanent winter (til you catch it). Yes please!!

LexSuicune
27th March 2011, 5:00 PM
Indeed, I do.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4435/4komagoruugu.jpg

As if I didn't have enough reasons to love this Golem <3

Aurath8
27th March 2011, 5:03 PM
Snowyarticuno...omg that'd be a cool idea. Groudon causes droughts, Kyogre causes floods, and Kyremu will freeze the region and cause permanent winter (til you catch it). Yes please!!

Reshiram making forest fires.
Zekrom causing blackouts.
Palkia warping space.
Dialga making time paradoxes.
Why does every legendary have to threaten the function or very existence of the world these days?

XXD17
27th March 2011, 7:03 PM
The info from the interview are pretty much mind-blowing! The one that stood out the most was the one about vullaby and mandibuzz...didn't get the whole upside-down skeleton they mentioned at first and then I realized...the diaper of vullaby is the cranium inverted and the apron of mandibuzz is a mandible inverted...since the top skull also serves as a nest for vullaby, when mandibuzz is sitting on its egg, its apron would fit right on the cranium nest making it look like it's sitting in a giant complete, inverted skull with the cranium and the mandible...but that mean a mandibuzz can only have one vullaby at one time since each one will eventually occupy the whole nest...also, since braviary apparently had native american references, does anyone see rufflet with eskimo/ inuit references? The fluff around its face reminded me of the hood of an inuit parka lined with fur the moment I saw it...

Grei
27th March 2011, 7:11 PM
Reshiram making forest fires.
Zekrom causing blackouts.
Palkia warping space.
Dialga making time paradoxes.
Why does every legendary have to threaten the function or very existence of the world these days?

I know! I want 6th Gen's cover Legends to be like Lugia and Ho-oh--simply legendary.
Oh well. At least we have the Muskedeer Trio and all four Phantom Legendaries that don't manipulate something.

EDIT: Although... really, Zekrom and Reshiram don't "control" any function of the world or anything like Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Kyogre, and Groudon did. In-game, Zekrom and Reshiram are generally regarded only as powerful Pokemon.

I think if that happened, it'd be different than what it would be like in the Winter season. Since Winter in Unova means a number of new items and Pokemon becoming accessible, I would think that if Kyurem cast Unova into a blizzard, it'd be a really, really bad blizzard--with snowpiles high enough to block pathways rather than open them, constant hail, a lack of wild Pokemon and trainers in the Overworld, and generally more of a catastrophe setting than an "it's snowing!!1" setting.

R_N
27th March 2011, 7:14 PM
Reshiram & Zekrom are basically "simply legendary"
They don't really manipulate anything. They're just strong, elementally themed dragons.

I don't recall either causing Forest Fires or Blackouts...but any fire Pokemon could cause forest fires, and any electrical Pokemon could cause blackouts. Muchless ones with a torch/generator for a tail.

bluemage14
27th March 2011, 7:37 PM
I know this doesn't go with the current discussion, but is the nature and gender of the Egg Larvesta already set?

I keep reseting to get a beneficial-natured Larvesta, and it doesn't change everytime I reset and re-hatch the egg. Mine is always Female, Base HP of 12, Mild Natured, and likes to run.

Anybody have any insight?

R_N
27th March 2011, 7:43 PM
I know this doesn't go with the current discussion, but is the nature and gender of the Egg Larvesta already set?

I keep reseting to get a beneficial-natured Larvesta, and it doesn't change everytime I reset and re-hatch the egg. Mine is always Female, Base HP of 12, Mild Natured, and likes to run.

Any egg is set the moment you pick it up. You would need to save before picking up the egg (be it from the random guy or the daycare man) to reset the natures and things

Kingudora
27th March 2011, 7:48 PM

Did save before you got the egg?

The nature is set after you've got it, which mean it doesn't get the nature when it hatches but as an egg.

bluemage14
27th March 2011, 7:48 PM
Any egg is set the moment you pick it up. You would need to save before picking up the egg (be it from the random guy or the daycare man) to reset the natures and things

Ah damn! Ok thank you, guess ill just have to breed once I get a ditto, how sad. Sigh!

Dracoste
27th March 2011, 7:50 PM

The nature and such for an egg is decided when you pick up the egg, so stand for the guy with the Larvesta eeg/Day-care and pick up the egg, hatch the egg(I sugest Skyarrow Bridge) if the Pokémon hasen't the things you want, reset the game and pick the egg up again.

EDIT: ninja'd....

Ah damn! Ok thank you, guess ill just have to breed once I get a ditto, how sad. Sigh!

You don't need to wait for a Ditto, just catch a Venipede of the opposite gender and leave them at the day-care.

Takeo
27th March 2011, 8:12 PM
I don't like the fact that they make every gen's. Pokemon stronger then the other, making it difficult to use your old favorites and make you need to use those that you have no interest of using

Absol Wings
27th March 2011, 8:21 PM
I don't like the fact that they make every gen's. Pokemon stronger then the other, making it difficult to use your old favorites and make you need to use those that you have no interest of using

Meh, they don't make them exactly stronger, they just introduce new usable strategies and stat combinations. Well even if I am also a bit pissed off about Electross having no weaknesses, and that horrid thing named HAXorus has a ridiculous attack...

SasakiThePikachu
27th March 2011, 8:24 PM

Eh??

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh pokes are just as usable as ever...they don't get 'weaker' with every passing gen. Beasts like Garchomp still totally own in competitive battle, and Unova has the occasional dex-filling bum too...it isn't all Hyreigons and Volcaronas. I'd say the regions are fairly even when it comes to strong and weak pokemon...but then it is a matter of opinion, I guess.

MetalFlygon08
27th March 2011, 8:42 PM
I saw this complaint elsewhere.

lets compare machamp and conkledurr.

They both have a BST of 505, just one is distributed better.

R_N
27th March 2011, 9:07 PM
Yeah there's not really that much of a power creep.
Usually it just comes down to stat distributions. Like this gen, for example. You are either:
-Hella strong but also slow as sin
-Hella fast but also frail/weak
-Swanna

And they even introduced new items, moves & abilities to help out the weaker Pokemon. Though sometimes a weak Pokemon is always a weak Pokemon

cottageboy789
27th March 2011, 10:39 PM
Has anyone else thought about how deadly Emboar could by with Rock Head? No recoil, and access to Wild Charge, Head Smash and Flare Blitz. Put Work Up/Bulk Up on it and that would be tank.

RedMage23
28th March 2011, 1:34 AM
I recently obtained a Mandibuzz and it almost makes me regret getting White instead of Black. I love it so much more than Braviary.

MetalFlygon08
28th March 2011, 5:43 AM
It's not possible to get female Torchic with SpeedBoost is it?

R_N
28th March 2011, 5:47 AM
It's not possible to get female Torchic with SpeedBoost is it?

No.
No event DW Pokemon are female. Ever.

Perhaps sometime in the future, but not now.

LexSuicune
28th March 2011, 5:47 AM
Mandibuzz is very underrated, I agree.

Kreis
28th March 2011, 5:54 AM
Yeah there's not really that much of a power creep.
Usually it just comes down to stat distributions. Like this gen, for example. You are either:
-Hella strong but also slow as sin
-Hella fast but also frail/weak
-Swanna

And they even introduced new items, moves & abilities to help out the weaker Pokemon. Though sometimes a weak Pokemon is always a weak Pokemon

What's this about Swanna?

R_N
28th March 2011, 6:01 AM
What's this about Swanna?

Swanna's stats are basically even.
It's a joke I stole from MarioWithLasers

MetalFlygon08
28th March 2011, 6:03 AM
No.

Thank goodness, I almost got scammed out of my Zorua!

I had my suspicions, but had to double check before commiting.

phew.

Grei
28th March 2011, 6:04 AM
Swanna's stats are basically even.
It's a joke I stole from MarioWithLasers

So in other words, Swanna is good at absolutely nothing.

I'll have to remember to evict her from my signature then.

R_N
28th March 2011, 6:08 AM
So in other words, Swanna is good at absolutely nothing.

I'll have to remember to evict her from my signature then.

I wouldn't say that. It was nice speed and some okay attack stats.

foxyman1167
28th March 2011, 6:13 AM
No.

I'm not so sure.

If DW pokemon can never be female, how does Serebii know about the ability of DW mothers to pass down their ability to their offspring?

Read here for more (http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/breed.shtml)

I think they exist, but are just very rare.

R_N
28th March 2011, 6:15 AM
I'm not so sure.

If DW pokemon can never be female, how does Serebii know about the ability of DW mothers to pass down their ability to their offspring?

Read here for more (http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/breed.shtml)

EVENT dw pokemon

E V E N T
The starters, the eeeveeloutions, Togekiss, Mamoswine, Croagunk etc etc

foxyman1167
28th March 2011, 6:17 AM
EVENT dw pokemon

E V E N T
The starters, the eeeveeloutions, Togekiss, Mamoswine, Croagunk etc etc

Oops, need to learn to read.

MetalFlygon08
28th March 2011, 3:01 PM
Swannas pretty decent, especially if you need a water type because you picked Emboar, and you need a flier.

Mario with Lasers
28th March 2011, 4:28 PM
Swanna is good in-game, the problem is training Ducklett for ~12 levels until evolution.

But of course, she sucks competitively, but that's irrelevant.

Silent Conversation
28th March 2011, 10:46 PM
Personally, I think that if you want a flyer go with Archeops, Sigilyph or Braviary/Mandibuzz (if you're willing to wait) and if you want a water type go with Seismitoed, Carracosta or Jellicent. Again, it's just my opinion, but I don't find Swanna appealing at all, be it competitive or in game.

venra77
28th March 2011, 10:48 PM
Swanna isnt that bad come now

rocky505
28th March 2011, 10:50 PM
I know a lot of people hate on the monkeys but Simisage is pretty good. I couldn't decide on a grass type to use so I tried Pansage and caught an adamant one in the pinwheel forest. It is a beast with Leech Seed and Seed Bomb.

Silent Conversation
28th March 2011, 10:55 PM
Swanna isnt that bad come now

I know it's not, which is why I said that it's just my opinion.

I know a lot of people hate on the monkeys but Simisage is pretty good. I couldn't decide on a grass type to use so I tried Pansage and caught an adamant one in the pinwheel forest. It is a beast with Leech Seed and Seed Bomb.

I don't think people think the Simis are bad, I think people (like myself) just think that there are a lot of better replacements for the types they give you.

GaZsTiC
28th March 2011, 10:58 PM
The Sims are very useful in game. The best is, by far, Simisage because of Seed Bomb/Energy Ball + Leech Seed. The others' movepool are quite limited, although not useless.

gible_
28th March 2011, 11:06 PM
I honestly love Tynamo! I know it looks a bit...Suggestive but it's a great Pokemon.
I love it's evo's too. What's the best moves to Teach it?

SasakiThePikachu
28th March 2011, 11:47 PM
I honestly love Tynamo! I know it looks a bit...Suggestive but it's a great Pokemon.
I love it's evo's too. What's the best moves to Teach it?

I'm going to regret asking this...but why is Tynamo suggestive? Is this like the Krookodile supposedly having a penis on the end of its nose thing? -__-

rocky505
28th March 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm going to regret asking this...but why is Tynamo suggestive? Is this like the Krookodile supposedly having a penis on the end of its nose thing? -__- It looks like sp3rm.

LexSuicune
29th March 2011, 4:46 AM
Well, there goes my sweet mental picture of Tynamo being a cute little fishie.

R_N
29th March 2011, 4:49 AM
Well, there goes my sweet mental picture of Tynamo being a cute little fishie.

Don't worry, real life took care of that for you
http://www.balikyetistir.com/images/2011/02/lamprey-closeup.jpg

TsukiMirage
29th March 2011, 6:48 AM
Those are horrifying, but I can't look away. Now I sort of want to actually train a Tynamo.

ParaChomp
29th March 2011, 6:59 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Diversas_lampreas.1_-_Aquarium_Finisterrae.JPG

PsychoIncarnate
29th March 2011, 7:16 AM
Tynamo is based off a glass eel, not whatever it is you posted

R_N
29th March 2011, 7:18 AM
Tynamo is based off a glass eel, not whatever it is you posted

It doesn't really look much like a glass eel, but I suppose it shares more in common with those than lampreys (which is what we were posting and definitely what Eelektrik & Eelektross are)

PsychoIncarnate
29th March 2011, 7:21 AM
It doesn't really look much like a glass eel, but I suppose it shares more in common with those than lampreys (which is what we were posting and definitely what Eelektrik & Eelektross are)

The creators of pokemon talked in an interview about the life cycle of an eel and especially about Tynamo being represented in the early stages of it

Hejiru
29th March 2011, 11:41 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Diversas_lampreas.1_-_Aquarium_Finisterrae.JPG

D:

Damn nature, you scary!

SasakiThePikachu
29th March 2011, 11:48 AM
I'm confused, I thought Reuniclus was meant to be the 'sperm' of this generation.

Sigh. There's nothing quite like penis-noses and sperm homunculi to make you realise that some pokemon fans have really dirty minds.

Sabonea_Masukippa
29th March 2011, 11:50 AM
D:

Damn nature, you scary!

^I hate nature for designing ugly things!!! Animals are supposed to be cute. This is unacceptable! I mean a spider is kinda cool but this is taking it too far!!! Clearly Gaia has run out of ideas.

Also 'orange' worst. name. for. a. fruit. ever.

Hejiru
29th March 2011, 1:31 PM
^I hate nature for designing ugly things!!! Animals are supposed to be cute. This is unacceptable! I mean a spider is kinda cool but this is taking it too far!!! Clearly Gaia has run out of ideas.

Also 'orange' worst. name. for. a. fruit. ever.

xD

I love you.

MetalFlygon08
29th March 2011, 3:50 PM
Simisage is also a cool pokemon, because you can almost name it

Elvis Parsley!

Blazios
29th March 2011, 4:23 PM
Has the catch rate formula changed? It just took me 10 Poké Balls to catch a Paralysed Vanillite at 33% HP. It's supposed to have a 255 catch rate, but if that were true, using the Gen IV capture rate formoula, I should have had a 100% chance of capturing it. Or maybe Vanillite's catch rate is wrong? I had a similar problem with Pidove before.

Maybe it was because they were wild double battles?