PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

abraxas
7th April 2011, 7:34 AM
They both have a slight cute factor, Trubbish a bit less than Purrloin, but as it stands, both lines are fairly awful in terms of use.
And on the matter of Pidove, it, too, is cute, but pretty bland looking upon evolving, and they are the first generic bird of a generation that I have not used. =(

Shadow Lucario
7th April 2011, 7:37 AM
I hate Trubbish. That thing is trash. (See what I did there? Stupid, I know.) I prefer Rufflet over Pidove. Much cuter.

abraxas
7th April 2011, 7:50 AM
I hate Trubbish. That thing is trash. (See what I did there? Stupid, I know.) I prefer Rufflet over Pidove. Much cuter.

;x

And what about Vullaby? Or am I the only one to actually think it's cute?
Trubbish isn't that bad looking, at least not when compared to what it evolves into. Garbodor, I can safely say, is the most eye-gouging monstrosity of pixels to date. >_<

Dracoste
7th April 2011, 7:56 AM
Garbodor, I can safely say, is the most eye-gouging monstrosity of pixels to date. >_<

One word: Giygas

I actually find Trubbish cute, it was quite funny when I noticed that there are a lot of cute Pokémon are catchable on route 4. I find Garbodor quite strong, I haven't used one yet, but one of the grunts of team plasma used it in the acient catsle, and it wasn't very easy to defeat it. But I don't have any expectation of using it, I just can't stand its looks.

Shadow Lucario
7th April 2011, 8:03 AM
Vullaby is ehhhh. I still prefer Rufflet :P I had to trade my friend for one since I got Black and he was playing White. He wanted Vullaby so we had the perfect trade once we got near Victory Road.

isshoni
7th April 2011, 11:23 AM
I absolutely adore Vullaby, it's just too cute. Purrloin I hate along with Liepard and Trubbish. Garbodor, however, is rather adorable.

Zhanton
7th April 2011, 11:33 AM
Trubbish isn't that bad looking, at least not when compared to what it evolves into. Garbodor, I can safely say, is the most eye-gouging monstrosity of pixels to date. >_<

Don't you be dissin' the Trubbish line! I adore that line, I think they're actually really cute and cool and whatnot. Bias because I love poison-types

Darkmega354
7th April 2011, 3:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of either Rufflet or Vullaby. Their evolutions, on the other hand, are a different story... Pidove is definitely my favorite stage 1 bird of the gen.

And I'm not even goin to mention that water/flying monstrosity...

MetalFlygon08
7th April 2011, 3:50 PM
I love the cries of Vullaby and MaNDIBUZZ, the clucking is so cool sounding.

Aurath8
7th April 2011, 7:16 PM
what is the correct way to use him then when his only redeeming trait is his atk? he is extremely slow and his defense is not all that great.

90-80-80 isn't incredibly bulky but it isn't exactly frail.

crygonal has insanely high special defense, good special atk, and very good speed.
i'll give you that, but Cryogonal has a poor offensive movepool (Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Hidden Power...errr) and he cannot survive any decently powered physical move without Reflect and Acid Armor.

vanilluxe has high special atk,
yes, but...

high defense, high special defense, and high speed.
Vannikuxes defences and speed. 71 HP/85 Def/95 Spdef/79 Spd
Beartic's defences:.:.:.:..:.:.::.:.90 Hp/80 Def/80 Spdef

Vanniluxes defence is only marginally better than Beartics and its special def has a decent advantage but the 71 HP means that Beartic is better at taking hits overall than Vanniluxe. Oh, and 79 speed isn't high. Its fairly mediorce.

the bear only has high atk. not only that but since the bear focuses mainly on its physical ice side it has access to less powerful ice moves. there decent ya, but ice beam is just plain better imo.

Icicle Crash is only 10 less power than Ice Beam and Beartic has access to both Hone Caws to remedy accuracy and Swords Dace to completely outpower Vanniluxe's Ice Beam. Cryo's 95 spatk balances out Ice Beam

i mean if your looking for a defensive ice pokemon why not go with crygonal for its insanely high special defense and speed?

Yes its spdef is really high, but with only 30 defence it is completely unable to shield itself against physical attacks with Reflect and Acid Armor up. Besides, Ice types fail defensively and the point Im trying to argue is that Beartic has enough bulk to survive an attack and hit back hard.

redroses
7th April 2011, 7:27 PM
Just saw Druddigon in the next pokemon episode preview and fell in love.
He looks so awesome in motion and his head/whole appreance just looks so much better!

Ballistixz
7th April 2011, 10:04 PM
should i use my master ball on tornadus? the bastard keeps fleeing...

but if i do that what is the best pokeball to catch reshiram with?

Yes its spdef is really high, but with only 30 defence it is completely unable to shield itself against physical attacks with Reflect and Acid Armor up. Besides, Ice types fail defensively and the point Im trying to argue is that Beartic has enough bulk to survive an attack and hit back hard

yes he does hit hard but i really dont agree with the builky part. ya he would survive a hit, but just barely. but i guess the same can be said about alot of the other ice pokemon to. and crygonals special atk is pretty decent imo considering how high both his special defense and speed is. crygonal also has a pretty good ability that makes him immune to ground atks and spikes.

also my point with vanilluxe is that both his defense and special defenses are slightly higher then the bears while having a higher special atk AND a higher speed stat. the only thing it doesnt have over the bear is HP. but overall i think vanilluxe has better stats. but we all are entitled to our opinions.

Dracoste
7th April 2011, 10:06 PM
but if i do that what is the best pokeball to catch reshiram with?

A regular Pokéball, Reshiram and Zekrom have a higher catch rate than a Chatot.

Ballistixz
7th April 2011, 10:16 PM

srsly? awesome then.

then i guess real question is kyurem or tornadus. probaly gonna use it on tornadus cuz its such a annoying poke. i really hate roaming pokemon...

redroses
8th April 2011, 12:21 AM
Hm, is it weird that I don't want to use Zoroark because of it's Illusion ability?
The idea of not always being able to see Zoroark from the back makes me sad lol.
(I know I could put it on the last place of my team, but that would mean I could never send it out first in battle.)

Note: ^This is all in game only talk.

I think competitive it's Illusion ability is pretty interesting/good.

R_N
8th April 2011, 12:23 AM

They have the same catch rate as a Chatot

And have you actually tried to catch a Chatot in a Pokeball? Or any catch rate 45 Pokemon? Still a gigantic pain.

RedMage23
8th April 2011, 2:26 AM
Hm, is it weird that I don't want to use Zoroark because of it's Illusion ability?
The idea of not always being able to see Zoroark from the back makes me sad lol.
(I know I could put it on the last place of my team, but that would mean I could never send it out first in battle.)

You could have it as the only Pokemon in your party, or make the last Pokemon another Zoroark :P

Grei
8th April 2011, 3:10 AM
;x

And what about Vullaby? Or am I the only one to actually think it's cute?

I love Vullaby! I initially hated it, but after I got one of my own I started really liking it. It's nearly tied with Rufflet (though only nearly--Rufflet is MUCH cooler than Vullaby) for my favorite bird of the Unova region.

abraxas
8th April 2011, 3:36 AM
I think that Rufflet and Vullaby are both greatly designed Pokes, as well as their evolutions. I think they go very well together, too.

Dracoste
8th April 2011, 7:52 AM
They have the same catch rate as a Chatot

And have you actually tried to catch a Chatot in a Pokeball? Or any catch rate 45 Pokemon? Still a gigantic pain.

Ah ok. But still, catching a Pokémon with a catch rate of 45 is still a lot easier than one with a catch rate of 3, like Kyurem... which I actually caught in one throw with a premier ball, without it being asleep! I think that was just me being very lucky.

Azran Flame
8th April 2011, 7:57 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but there is no point of Klink having two evolutions.

WhiteRaine
8th April 2011, 7:59 AM
Is anybody else having trouble finding an Emolga? T.T

GaZsTiC
8th April 2011, 8:00 AM

Just wait for shaking grass in the northern routes.

NY Gamer
8th April 2011, 8:03 AM
Hmmm... Still figuring out White Forest/Black City's Trigger System for the trainers. I know at first it's random, but there has to be a way to get a specific trainer to join your forest/city.

I already have my forest near empty (1 or 2 more days and the forest will be completely clean!) At first, I had a wave of trainers in other Black Cities (the same throughout, no matter who's Black I connected with.) but when I talked to them, said yes, then reset my game w/o saving, the trainers never joined my forest, but they were gone from ****'s Black City. This drew me to 2 conclusions:

1. The game cycles through the list of trainers, giving some the A-OK to join your game. When you allow them, but don't save, the flag is checked so the cycle goes to the next one.

2. The game selects trainers based on your friend's badges. This one is a bit odd as my bro only had 6 badges when I connect w/ him, but my friend @ work has 7 badges and her city shows the same trainers...

I'ma test theory 1 now by talking to the trainers and resetting...

--------------------

Results:
When you let someone join your game, it's flagged as an A-OK and sets the data in. When you Reset while either in Entralink or after being kicked out of Entralink, the game keeps the A-OK Flag and the trainer doesn't appear in *****'s Black City/White Forest or your city/forest for that matter. However, New Trainer do come into the oppsing city/forest. I think I can formulate with a strong feeling that Method 1 is how the game selects your possible trainers. I'm still going in to see if there is a pattern to getting certain trainers in the mix, but w/ just this, we can influence who comes to our games!

- Part 2 -

When you talk to the trainers in an opposite version and give them the go ahead, they are gone from the city for the time being. Once you SR, they are still cleared from the opposing version. It's possible that a new trainer will also come into the city in the same day, but not likely. I now have a few NPCs in *****'s Black City who won't consent to joining the forest and all who wanted to join are now gone. Once 12 Midnight hits, then the game should be able to roll for new NPCs...

But something still bugs me. The NPCs who won't come to the forest say they are either jealous, the forest is shining, spirit can't rest, blah blah blah... are those one who require different triggers or are they just there to bug the hell outta ya for now...

Dracoste
8th April 2011, 8:04 AM

Try the shaking grass on route 4, there I caught 2 Emolga.

MetalFlygon08
8th April 2011, 4:48 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but there is no point of Klink having two evolutions.

there's no point in Snivy having two evolutions

also for easy emolgas, theres a hiker that will trade one for a boldore on route 7?

RedMage23
8th April 2011, 8:30 PM
I think I finally figured out White Forest. To get more people, you have to steal them from someone else's Black City. It seems like this is the case because my friend has White and when I went into his White Forest, all of the people there wanted to go to Black City.

Porygandrew
8th April 2011, 10:16 PM
I kinda like pansear gets incinerate - goes with its ability around a theme of berry-using monkeys.
Though I wish Panpour and Pansage got something similar. Pluck for pansage, maybe, but I don't know what would be a good move for panpour.

Lorde
8th April 2011, 10:27 PM

I wasn't looking for an Emolga, and it just showed up on Route 6. I captured it and then I stored it in my PC where it will remain for all eternity since I don't plan on using it in battles or for any other reason. I find it ironic that every other Emolga that I've encountered so far as caused me so much grief, though. I tried capturing some more to use as trading fodder but they all managed to defeat at least one of my Pokemon. One of them also cut itself.

also for easy emolgas, theres a hiker that will trade one for a boldore on route 7?

Maybe some people don't want to trade for that Emolga since it'll be nicknamed?

RedMage23
8th April 2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe some people don't want to trade for that Emolga since it'll be nicknamed?

You can always breed it...

Dracoste
8th April 2011, 10:49 PM
You can always breed it...

But that Emolga is always Male, so you can only get Emolga eggs after the E4.

Weaver_8
8th April 2011, 11:03 PM
But that Emolga is always Male, so you can only get Emolga eggs after the E4.

Actually its not always male, in fact I believe both Elesa's Emolga are female. Their gender ratio is 50/50 for both genders.

Lorde
8th April 2011, 11:05 PM
Actually its not always male, in fact I believe both Elesa's Emolga are female. Their gender ratio is 50/50 for both genders.

The Emolga that you receive via trade on Route 7 is always male. Pokemon received via in-game trades have their genders set.

Weaver_8
8th April 2011, 11:13 PM
The Emolga that you receive via trade on Route 7 is always male. Pokemon received via in-game trades have their genders set.

OH! That's what he meant about it. Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.

WhiteRaine
8th April 2011, 11:35 PM
Huh. No matter how hard I look for an Emolga in shaking grass patches, I always get Audinos. T.T

Ememew
8th April 2011, 11:40 PM
Huh. No matter how hard I look for an Emolga in shaking grass patches, I always get Audinos. T.T

Well, Audino's the most common Pokemon in the shaking grass (on route 5 for example, it has an 85% chance of appearing, with Emolga at 10% and Cinccino at 5%). Patience (and possibly repels so you don't get attacked on your way to a shaking patch) is needed in searching.

I'd say look for Emolga while you're level grinding/training for HP effort values anyway, so you can put the inevitable Audino's you'll encounter on the way to good use.

EDIT: I think Emolga has only a 10% chance of appearing on the other routes it's on as well.

Dracoste
8th April 2011, 11:58 PM
Emolga is catchable on Route 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and Dragonspiral Tower, Village Bridge, Abundant Shine, Lostlorn Forrest.

On all those places it has 10% on appearing, except on route 6, it got 20% of appearing there. And according to the dex 15% in the winter on Route 7.

In the other places it's like 100% Audino(with maybe some exceptions)

abraxas
9th April 2011, 12:09 AM
But would the secondary effect of Static kick in, and increase the normal 10% (20%, depending on where you're at) by the 50% increment (I believe that's the frigure), assuming you've got a Static carrier at the head of the party? And I know Stunfisk comes with that ability.

Silent Conversation
9th April 2011, 7:27 PM

That's so ironic, whenever I go Audino grinding I always find Emolgas.

Grey Wind
9th April 2011, 8:16 PM
So....what do people think of Krookodile? I'm using one in my in-game team, and he's very effective

aquasuicune
9th April 2011, 10:20 PM
I think he would have been good, had I known about him earlier. Good attack and speed is a plus for him, and also lets him score against half of the elite four with a STAB crunch. Only bad thing is that krokorok has horrible stats, but if you can get him up to a krookodile, then that's great.

PokemonOwn
9th April 2011, 10:29 PM
Krookodile gets E-Quake far too late. Bulldoze is good enough, though. It's pretty good, it became quite over-leveled when I used it in my playthrough. Crunch is good too.

Sert908
9th April 2011, 11:11 PM
When I was playing before I beat the elite four, I loved me some Conkeldurr, he's a really good pokemon.

Oshakpop
9th April 2011, 11:40 PM
Ok, so on the IGN Top 100 Pokemon Quiz.. this sprite of Wormadam popped up. There all official sprites, so it's definately real. and it's not shiny.. so what is it?

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/059687/images/blackwhite/pokemans_413.gif
???

BCVM22
9th April 2011, 11:51 PM
There all official sprites, so it's definately real. and it's not shiny.. so what is it?

It would seem to be an oddly colored Plant Cloak Wormadam. However, it's not anything from the games and no part of "an unknown Wormadam sprite on IGN's latest misbegotten attempt at a poll or whatever" says "important", so I don't think the question is "what is it?", but rather "does it really matter?"

R_N
10th April 2011, 1:22 AM
Oh hey I remember that vaguely from years ago. I think it's just some discolored Wormadam sprites left in the coding.

Drummerdude
10th April 2011, 2:21 AM
Kliklang is one of those pokemon which, if you can find an alternative, choose the alternative. Only use it if you are adamant on using one. Almost all the time, something will be able to do a better job than Kliklang.
His physical movepool has three moves in it. gear Grind, Return(which every pokemon gets) and Rock Smash. He has Special Steel and Electric moves but not much beyond Hidden Power or Echo Voice. To summarise, he has a miniscule movepool.
What??? Shoot, I have been wanting to use one for a while now. That stinks.

KickAsh
10th April 2011, 2:30 AM
So....what do people think of Krookodile? I'm using one in my in-game team, and he's very effective
I love Krookodile. It's a great 'mon. Love the design, love its name, and I love the effectiveness it has in-game and in the metagame. Unfortunately, it gets overshadowed by Tyranitar a bit, but it totally shouldn't be.

Krookodile gets E-Quake far too late. Bulldoze is good enough, though. It's pretty good, it became quite over-leveled when I used it in my playthrough. Crunch is good too.
Lv 54? It's late, but it's not that bad. Of the Pokemon who learn it through level-up in Gen V, Dugtrio gets EQ at Lv. 50, Golem at 47, Rhydon at 62, Donphan at 46, Tyranitar at 54, Marshtomp at 52, Camerupt at 57, Golurk at 50, and Landorus at 55. It seems to be quite trendy among Ground types to learn Earthquake late.

Admittedly, Excadrill gets EQ at a mouth-watering Lv. 36. And several Pokemon get it at Lv. 40, like Mamoswine and Hippowdon, and a couple of them get it in the late 30s. But if you're using Quagsire then...umm...

What??? Shoot, I have been wanting to use one for a while now. That stinks.
You already have Excadrill. That's a wayyyy better Steel-type.

R_N
10th April 2011, 3:45 AM
You already have Excadrill. That's a wayyyy better Steel-type.

Which is why his only steel move is Metal Claw.
Excadrill is a great Pokemon, really it is.
But is not remotely a good Steel type. At least Klinkalng gets the (basically a steel type Earthquake) Gear Grind.

Roxas013
10th April 2011, 6:17 AM
i like the Klink evolution line. isnt gear shift good enough to make it a great pokemon

MetalFlygon08
10th April 2011, 7:18 AM
Ok, so on the IGN Top 100 Pokemon Quiz.. this sprite of Wormadam popped up. There all official sprites, so it's definately real. and it's not shiny.. so what is it?

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/059687/images/blackwhite/pokemans_413.gif
???

It's a place holder, the sprites for different forms are located in a different file than the normal sprites, Rotom, Shaymin, Burmy, and Giratina don't have this pallet problem because their forms are changeable, wormadam's is set in stone, so instead of 3 seperate pokemon files, one pokemon was made with 3 forms coded into it, though unlike other forms, it can't be changed.

Ballistixz
10th April 2011, 8:03 AM
whats a good tank/support pokemon other then chansey?

aquasuicune
10th April 2011, 8:05 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. However, tanks are generally known for high HP and high defenses.

You can find lists of the pokemon with the highest of these stats here:
HP: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/hp.shtml
Defense: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/defense.shtml
Special Defense: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/sp-defense.shtml

Ballistixz
10th April 2011, 8:14 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. However, tanks are generally known for high HP and high defenses.

You can find lists of the pokemon with the highest of these stats here:
HP: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/hp.shtml
Defense: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/defense.shtml
Special Defense: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/stat/sp-defense.shtml

thx thats great help.

i always considered a waboufet but i heard he was OP. idk if that still applies today tho.

i think ill go with a shuckle then since it seems i can catch im in route 14.

SmartD
10th April 2011, 2:34 PM
Pokemon secrets revealed:

http://www.iaza.com/work/110411C/iaza14848369645200.jpghttp://www.iaza.com/work/110411C/iaza14848314635600.jpg

From Pokebeach (Vanillite’s Face and Golurk’s Legs)

Funny how Vanillite looks like a light bulb without snow covering its face. And it's cool that Golurk can fold its legs so it can use Fly.

Dracoste
10th April 2011, 4:47 PM
Pokemon secrets revealed:

http://www.iaza.com/work/110411C/iaza14848369645200.jpghttp://www.iaza.com/work/110411C/iaza14848314635600.jpg

From Pokebeach (Vanillite’s Face and Golurk’s Legs)

Funny how Vanillite looks like a light bulb without snow covering its face. And it's cool that Golurk can fold its legs so it can use Fly.

You're actually a couple of weeks too late with that news.

R_N
10th April 2011, 6:49 PM
Several weeks too late, actually. Bordering on months.

LexSuicune
10th April 2011, 6:51 PM
lmao at the faces of Pansear and Panpour at the bald Vanillite XDDD

KickAsh
11th April 2011, 2:19 AM
Which is why his only steel move is Metal Claw.
Excadrill is a great Pokemon, really it is.
But is not remotely a good Steel type. At least Klinkalng gets the (basically a steel type Earthquake) Gear Grind.
Well if you want to be picky, Excadrill also gets Iron Defense and Metal Sound as Steel type attacks.
But yeah, Excadrill isn't an admirable Steel type. I messed that up. I just assumed Excadrill got more Steel type attacks.

R_N
11th April 2011, 2:20 AM
Well if you want to be picky, Excadrill also gets Iron Defense and Metal Sound as Steel type attacks.
But yeah, Excadrill isn't an admirable Steel type. I messed that up. I just assumed Excadrill got more Steel type attacks.

Seriously, I thought for sure it at least got Iron Head until a few weeks ago.
Baffling.

KickAsh
11th April 2011, 2:27 AM
Seriously, I thought for sure it at least got Iron Head until a few weeks ago.
Baffling.
It really is.
I would have SWORN that it got something so simple as Gyro Ball or Heavy Slam (and especially Iron Head) but nope.

R_N
11th April 2011, 2:34 AM
It really is.
I would have SWORN that it got something so simple as Gyro Ball or Heavy Slam (and especially Iron Head) but nope.

Or Bullet Punch, even. It's weaker than Metal Claw, but priority is always useful (especially STAB priority) and at least it would be something else.

Or, shoot, make Drill Run a Steel Type move.

KickAsh
11th April 2011, 2:46 AM
Or Bullet Punch, even. It's weaker than Metal Claw, but priority is always useful (especially STAB priority) and at least it would be something else.

Or, shoot, make Drill Run a Steel Type move.
Well, I don't think Excadrill could really punch with those claws, but I like the idea of Excadrill getting Bullet Punch. Goodness knows it would benefit from priority, and again...it needs more Steel moves.

And if Drill Run was a Steel move...sigh. I wish.

EDIT:Hell...give it Iron Tail!

R_N
11th April 2011, 2:54 AM
Well, I don't think Excadrill could really punch with those claws, but I like the idea of Excadrill getting Bullet Punch. Goodness knows it would benefit from priority, and again...it needs more Steel moves.
So you say this (even though he probably could wallop someone with those claws like a punch)

And if Drill Run was a Steel move...sigh. I wish.

EDIT: Or give it Iron Tail!
And then say you want this:
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c8/Spr_b_5b_530.png
to get Iron Tail?

It gets Drill Run so late, too. The high crit rate probably wouldn't make up for the reliability of Earthquake, so may as well let it use the other stab!

KickAsh
11th April 2011, 3:05 AM
^^Damn it, I thought it had a tail. My abysmal knowledge of Excadrill fails me again.

MetalFlygon08
11th April 2011, 4:19 AM
it does have a tail, just a tiny one.

Silent Conversation
11th April 2011, 5:14 AM
it does have a tail, just a tiny one.

Not enough to use Iron Tail, though.

dragoniteKnight
11th April 2011, 5:19 AM
if rampardos can punch ****, excadrill can use its tail damnit!

Shadow Lucario
11th April 2011, 6:48 AM
If Gastly gets Fire Punch then I say Excadrill should get Iron Tail >.>

manifesto
11th April 2011, 7:37 AM
Give him judgment and we'll call it even. :P

Kingudora
11th April 2011, 8:42 AM
Excadrill should be able to use Iron Head. In Gray, when they update the learnsets maybe?

Hejiru
11th April 2011, 3:31 PM
Not enough to use Iron Tail, though.

"Primeape used Iron Tail!"

Shine
11th April 2011, 4:20 PM
If Gastly gets Fire Punch then I say Excadrill should get Iron Tail >.>

In my opinion, Gastly can use Fire Punch in the same way Weezing use Flamethrower - by using flammable gas, except that this time it is shaped like a punch.

But Excadrill cannot materialize anything that can be used for a powerful tail swing....hence it does not makes sense for it to have Iron Tail.

As or Primeape, blame it on Mankey :p

MetalFlygon08
11th April 2011, 4:41 PM
Alakazam...

Physical Zam
Iron Tail
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch

blame kadabra for the iron tail.

Dracoste
11th April 2011, 5:13 PM
Yes! The Global Link's page (http://en.pokemon-gl.com/pre/en.html) has been updated! Saying that it indeed will go online on April 13th!

After waiting for around 2 weeks longer it will finally go online again!

Kariachi
11th April 2011, 11:38 PM
Okay, do you even get the chance to see a Vullaby in white? And if so who has it?

And more on topic, yay Dream World, Excadrill don't look half bad, Haxorus is an awesome False Swipe user.

BCVM22
11th April 2011, 11:39 PM
Vullaby and Mandibuzz cannot be found or seen anywhere in White.

Kariachi
11th April 2011, 11:51 PM
*grumbles at stupid vultures* Thank you, BCVM22.

Dragrath
12th April 2011, 12:36 AM
Ah ok. But still, catching a Pokémon with a catch rate of 45 is still a lot easier than one with a catch rate of 3, like Kyurem... which I actually caught in one throw with a premier ball, without it being asleep! I think that was just me being very lucky.

Nice :) I've seen luckyer though (Full HP Articuno no status either caught 1st turn by a regular pokeball thrown on accident...!) I was shocked! now THAT is lucky... (If only that would happen on Kyurem...)

MetalFlygon08
12th April 2011, 3:59 AM
(IMO) Grimsley should've had Mandibuzz over his Scrafty, and Scrafty would go to Marshal, they seem so meant for each other.

rocky505
12th April 2011, 4:01 AM
(IMO) Grimsley should've had Mandibuzz over his Scrafty, and Scrafty would go to Marshal, they seem so meant for each other. It wouldn't be a mandibuzz though until round 2.

GaZsTiC
12th April 2011, 4:03 AM
It wouldn't be a mandibuzz though until round 2.

They could've just cheated the system like with Iris/Drayden's Haxorus.

Ltrainer
12th April 2011, 5:38 AM
Pokemon.com announced that Toysrus will be distributing the mysterious eggs!!

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=4422

I want an Axew!

R_N
12th April 2011, 5:55 AM
I still think it's weird that none of the eggs contained a Scraggy

Venomrec
12th April 2011, 6:20 AM
What are in the eggs?

Lorde
12th April 2011, 6:21 AM
What are in the eggs?

Pidove, Pansage and Axew.

I got the Pansage egg in White version, but I never used Pansage in battle. I got Axew in Black version and I evolved it into Fraxure before I got bored with it and deposited it into the PC. I'm hoping for Pidove this time around, just so that I can complete the set.

AwesomeTree
12th April 2011, 7:08 AM
Pokemon Black and White competition in Australia!
http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=news&nid=808

I know no one would know possibly, but for those who have partaken in Nintendo tournaments, would they allow Pokemon from a Japanese cart on an Australian cart? All my good Unovians are on my Japanese game...

lindsy95
12th April 2011, 1:05 PM
Bleh, I'm definitely not going to TRU for an egg that hatches into a pidove. (knowing my luck, it will)

abraxas
12th April 2011, 5:12 PM
I'm inclined to not bother with the Egg event, either. I just don't see the point, nothing that special or worthwhile about any of the hatches. And in my case, I'd have to drive an hour to get to the closest Toys R' Us.
I feel as if I wouldn't really be missing out on much of anything. =\

manifesto
12th April 2011, 6:03 PM
I'm inclined to not bother with the Egg event, either. I just don't see the point, nothing that special or worthwhile about any of the hatches. And in my case, I'd have to drive an hour to get to the closest Toys R' Us.
I feel as if I wouldn't really be missing out on much of anything. =\

Agreed, I've already got a good Haxorus and Simisage, and I'd most likely hatch a Pidove if I got the event. Plus, the people who work at the Toys R Us near me are all jerks. It's kind of really annoying.

Venomrec
12th April 2011, 6:11 PM
Thinking after the Tru event it will be re-released as a wi-fi event.

Lorde
12th April 2011, 9:19 PM
Thinking after the Tru event it will be re-released as a wi-fi event.

Even if it is, I doubt too many people will bother to get the eggs. Most people already have a Pidove, Pansage and Axew. I bet people who are starting out their games would find the eggs to be very useful, but most other players probably wouldn't download the eggs over Wi-Fi. Like I said, I'll get an egg myself, but that's just because I want to complete the set since my current set feels incomplete without Pidove.

IatosHaunted
12th April 2011, 9:36 PM
Not sure if I'll bother with the new egg event. Pidove's among my least favorite flying-types, and I already have a Haxorus. Pansage would be cool to have, but it's only a 1 in 3 chance.

XXD17
12th April 2011, 10:14 PM
The only good thing that comes out of the eggs can really just be pansage if you started with oshawott or snivy and even then it's brave so it is slower than usual so it won't be much of a battler...a pidove you can catch anywhere...the only good thing about this specific one is that it has super luck...although you can probably get one of those too if you took an extra 10 minutes to catch a bunch of pidoves...and it's hardy so no losses and no gains...the axew's great if you are still at the beginning of your journey...it does have mold-breaker so that's a plus but it's naive so you basically don't get the attack plus you need and instead gets a unnecessary speed plus (d-dance compensates) coupled with an SD drop...

Mr.Munchlax
12th April 2011, 11:24 PM
Hey, just wondering, has the official Generation 5 Uber list gone up yet?

Silent Conversation
12th April 2011, 11:30 PM

No (10 char)

LexSuicune
12th April 2011, 11:40 PM
Those eggs, they can't be shiny right?

R_N
13th April 2011, 12:53 AM

Somewhat, yes.
Smogon is down or something so I can't get exact list, but things like Dialga, Palkia, Ho-oh and such. Garchomp isn't.
Notable new bans: Swift Swim + Drizzle (that is, having both on the same team) and recently Blaziken.

Zibdas
13th April 2011, 12:55 AM
Those eggs, they can't be shiny right?

Noperoo.
(derp)

XXD17
13th April 2011, 5:19 AM
Isn't shadow tag chandelure and perversity serperior going uber too?

Mr.Munchlax
13th April 2011, 5:40 AM
Somewhat, yes.
Smogon is down or something so I can't get exact list, but things like Dialga, Palkia, Ho-oh and such. Garchomp isn't.
Notable new bans: Swift Swim + Drizzle (that is, having both on the same team) and recently Blaziken.

I'm just hoping that Haxorus and Zoroark aren't on the regular list

Wormow
13th April 2011, 5:46 AM
Pokemon Black and White competition in Australia!
http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=news&nid=808

I know no one would know possibly, but for those who have partaken in Nintendo tournaments, would they allow Pokemon from a Japanese cart on an Australian cart? All my good Unovians are on my Japanese game...

Saw this the other day, so I'm planning on buying BW soon. I had the Japanese version on my flash-cartridge so I didn't bother buying the english version, so I might buy it now just for the competition.

R_N
13th April 2011, 5:49 AM
I'm just hoping that Haxorus and Zoroark aren't on the regular list

By regular list you mean OU?

No, because those are currently non-existent and not being tested at this time.

PsychoIncarnate
13th April 2011, 6:00 AM

I don't think Perversity Serperior would make Uber anyway. His movepool isn't good enough to be much of a threat, and most perversity sets I've seen rely completely on 1 single grass attack

Mr.Munchlax
13th April 2011, 6:03 AM

What's OU?

PsychoIncarnate
13th April 2011, 6:04 AM
What's OU?

OU is the tier that's used most often. It's the tier right before Uber

Pokemon strong enough for competitive battles, but not uber, are in OU

Grei
13th April 2011, 6:07 AM
OU is the tier that's used most often. It's the tier right before Uber

Pokemon strong enough for competitive battles, but not uber, are in OU

You're half wrong. OU is the "overused" tier, so it's used most often, but the UU and BL Pokemon are strong enough for competitive battles (almost every Pokemon is strong enough for competitive battles). It's just that they compete in their own tier. You wouldn't call a wrestler of a lower weight class "not strong enough for a competitive match" just because they don't match up against a person of a higher weight class. The same concept applies here.

R_N
13th April 2011, 6:07 AM
I don't think Perversity Serperior would make Uber anyway. His movepool isn't good enough to be much of a threat, and most perversity sets I've seen rely completely on 1 single grass attack
Yeah, at least a very strong case could be made for Chandelure but....well I guess we'll see if it's every really released.
On paper, 140 stab attack that gives +2 Special Attack every time it's used sounds dangerous. And it is quite bulky & fast.

What's OU?

The tier under Ubers.
odd you know Uber (which is just a banlist) but not the "main" tier.

Oh! One other thing banned is the ability Moody. Not the Pokemon themselves, just the ability.

PsychoIncarnate
13th April 2011, 6:15 AM
You're half wrong. OU is the "overused" tier, so it's used most often, but the UU and BL Pokemon are strong enough for competitive battles (almost every Pokemon is strong enough for competitive battles). It's just that they compete in their own tier. You wouldn't call a wrestler of a lower weight class "not strong enough for a competitive match" just because they don't match up against a person of a higher weight class. The same concept applies here.

This is actually why I don't get why people are against tiers in pokemon.

With nearly 600 pokemon, or whatever, separating them into tiers actually makes some useful and shows their true strength

R_N
13th April 2011, 6:22 AM
This is actually why I don't get why people are against tiers in pokemon.

With nearly 600 pokemon, or whatever, separating them into tiers actually makes some useful and shows their true strength

I also like it when weaker Pokemon suddenly get fantastic boons, sending them up tiers. Ditto is the best example, very likely reaching OU from the nether that is the Never Used tier once Impostor Ditto is released.

Dracoste
13th April 2011, 7:53 AM
Oh! One other thing banned is the ability Moody. Not the Pokemon themselves, just the ability.

Hahaha, I never thought that there will be a day in which a Bidoof can be banned XD

PsychoIncarnate
13th April 2011, 11:19 AM
I also like it when weaker Pokemon suddenly get fantastic boons, sending them up tiers. Ditto is the best example, very likely reaching OU from the nether that is the Never Used tier once Impostor Ditto is released.

Really wanted to make a team with Ditto when I found out about that ability

Mario with Lasers
13th April 2011, 4:21 PM

Somewhat, yes.

Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Blaziken, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys-Normal, Deoxys-Attack, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina-Another, Giratina-Origin, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin-Sky, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, ability Moody, abilities Drizzle + Swift Swim on the same team, items Brightpowder and Lax Incense, moves Double Team and Minimize.

They don't exist yet, so no one bothers with their tiering now; same thing with Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect. And I'm sure Serperior won't be Uber...

manifesto
13th April 2011, 5:37 PM
Wait wait wait...why is Blaziken banned?

Iswim4pain
13th April 2011, 5:54 PM
I have read so many places that the teleporting/disappearing Abra girl on marvelous bridge does nothing but has anybody tried going up to her with a party full of Abras or an Abra or using an Abra to teleport in the spot she disappeared from after you see her disappear. Old Chateau was kinda different it was a haunted house and ghosts were a cool thing to throw in aesthetically but the Abra girl just seems too random to me not to do something.

Mario with Lasers
13th April 2011, 6:11 PM
Wait wait wait...why is Blaziken banned?

Speed Boost, Swords Dance, Cheer Up, 120/110 attacking stats, strong-as-hell STABs (Flare Blitz, Blaze Kick under sun if you don't like recoil, Hi Jump Kick), wide enough coverage movepool (Stone Edge, Shadow Claw, usable Hidden Power, Fire Blast), different "counters"/checks for its many, all equally destructive sets. The best way to stop it was to use Slowbro/Gyarados/Jellicent, pray it didn't have the specific coverage move and not let Sun shine; alternatively, you could try to make it kill itself with recoil, but then, it would bring down 2-3 pokémon at least. It got a ~80% majority to be banned in its first voting and even those who believe Blaziken wasn't broken agree the metagame would be better without it, so... It's not coming down for a good while.

From semi-hero to zero to hero to god. Poor guy, it's almost like Kratos, but without his Aphrodite mini-game.

CaptainCombusken
13th April 2011, 6:37 PM
Banned From Smogon Maybe, but not from PO.
That's my home, so yeah. That is where I go most of the time.
Blaziken is my favourite Pokemon, Baton pass or not, Speed Boost or not.

I want Genesect to go to Ubers tho.
Meloetta and Keldeo I can deal with, but Genesect is hellish.
Oh, and Peverse Serperior too.

Kingudora
13th April 2011, 6:44 PM
Why is Moody banned?

Mario with Lasers
13th April 2011, 6:45 PM
Banned From Smogon Maybe, but not from PO.
That's my home, so yeah. That is where I go most of the time.
Blaziken is my favourite Pokemon, Baton pass or not, Speed Boost or not.

I want Genesect to go to Ubers tho.
Meloetta and Keldeo I can deal with, but Genesect is hellish.
Oh, and Peverse Serperior too.

Well, people asked for an Uber banlist, I told them Smogon's! But yeah, PO has a different one, but we are in Serebiiforums and I don't even think we have an official banlist here, so I went with what I had.

Why is Moody banned?

Some banned because it "broke" Evasion Clause without the pokémon doing anything, others because it "took the game out of the players' hands completely and made it completely based on luck", and others because they found it flat out broken (lol people defeating Uber teams with a team of Bidoof alone...). I mean, people want to ban it of Uber by means of a Clause or something, just to show how powerful/"uncompetitive" they feel it is.

R_N
13th April 2011, 9:20 PM
The ban of lax incesnes & brightpower reminds me, are Sand Veil & Snow Cloak being banned too even though they hadn't really been a problem before

Mario with Lasers
13th April 2011, 10:58 PM
The ban of lax incesnes & brightpower reminds me, are Sand Veil & Snow Cloak being banned too even though they hadn't really been a problem before

No, because that would mean soft-banning a couple pokémon (besides greatly restricting Glaceon's movepool lol), which no one is willing to sacrifice only because of two abilities which only have a chance of activating during weather and I guess no one wants to enforce another complex ban of those abilities plus their respective weathers (specially because the current complex ban was thought mostly as a "temporary solution").

Long story short, both abilities will be allowed until the day all their users have their alternative abilities come.

Being completely off the subject at hand now, I forever hate Game Freak for giving Cacturne ****ing WATER ABSORB as its DW ability. Yeah GF, we got it, it's a cactus, it absorbs water, but we have Maractus now with two water-absorbing abilities, one of them being Water Absorb already, why didn't you give Cacturne Sand Rush instead? I mean, Venusaur now is a glorious OU pokémon thanks to Chrolophyll, Cacturne would have an invaluable niche in Sand teams being the only specially-based mixed attacker with double speed during Sandstorm. Hell, it even learns Nasty Plot... A lot of cool/badass pokémon became usable in B/W, you just had to leave poor Cacturne behind.

Silent Conversation
13th April 2011, 11:14 PM
I have read so many places that the teleporting/disappearing Abra girl on marvelous bridge does nothing but has anybody tried going up to her with a party full of Abras or an Abra or using an Abra to teleport in the spot she disappeared from after you see her disappear. Old Chateau was kinda different it was a haunted house and ghosts were a cool thing to throw in aesthetically but the Abra girl just seems too random to me not to do something.

I think it's just random - besides, her doing something when you have a party filled with Abras is something the game designers would never do.

Hejiru
14th April 2011, 12:49 AM

She has nothing to do with Abra.

But there is a 72% chance that she is a ghost.

KickAsh
14th April 2011, 12:56 AM
Being completely off the subject at hand now, I forever hate Game Freak for giving Cacturne ****ing WATER ABSORB as its DW ability. Yeah GF, we got it, it's a cactus, it absorbs water, but we have Maractus now with two water-absorbing abilities, one of them being Water Absorb already, why didn't you give Cacturne Sand Rush instead? I mean, Venusaur now is a glorious OU pokémon thanks to Chrolophyll, Cacturne would have an invaluable niche in Sand teams being the only specially-based mixed attacker with double speed during Sandstorm. Hell, it even learns Nasty Plot... A lot of cool/badass pokémon became usable in B/W, you just had to leave poor Cacturne behind.

Because seriously who is even going to use a Water attack on Cacturne anyway?
If GF really wanted a cactus Pokemon to have a water-themed ability, Hydration would have been nice.
I was what I was thinking, anyway.

EDIT: Or oh my god give it Rough Skin for crying out loud!!!!!!111
I mean cacti are spiky...they have rough skin.
But nope...Water Absorb it is.

Silent Conversation
14th April 2011, 2:41 AM
Or oh my god give it Rough Skin for crying out loud!!!!!!111
I mean cacti are spiky...they have rough skin.
But nope...Water Absorb it is.

I understand the logic behind it not having Rough Skin. Its not really its physical skin that's so rough, it's the thorns that stick out of the skin which would be the ones to cause damage (if they could).

Sabonea_Masukippa
14th April 2011, 2:45 AM

Amen. Still hoping for an evo in gen 6 to fix that, but am half expecting them to give us a Maractus pre-evo instead. Cox, you know, Troll Freak.

rocky505
14th April 2011, 3:00 AM
I understand the logic behind it not having Rough Skin. Its not really its physical skin that's so rough, it's the thorns that stick out of the skin which would be the ones to cause damage (if they could). Iron Barbs would make more sense.

Silent Conversation
14th April 2011, 3:01 AM
Iron Barbs would make more sense.

Exactly. Now that I think about it, why doesn't the Cacnea line have Iron Barbs?

GaZsTiC
14th April 2011, 3:20 AM
Iron Barbs would make more sense.

Exactly. Now that I think about it, why doesn't the Cacnea line have Iron Barbs?

Because cacti are not made of metal. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/309/3/1/awesome_face_by_edielflaco-d3272jd.gif

rocky505
14th April 2011, 3:30 AM
Because cacti are not made of metal. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/309/3/1/awesome_face_by_edielflaco-d3272jd.gif Ugh. It's pokemon. We have fire breathing octopus, top less female wrestlers. But I am sure whatever Ferroseed and ferrothorn are based on are not made of metal either.

MetalFlygon08
14th April 2011, 3:34 AM
Who else thinks Techno Buster should be available to the Porygon line too?

XXD17
14th April 2011, 3:45 AM

I always thought techno booster was a genesect exclusive move so it belonged to it and it alone...wouldn't giving it to another pokemon be like giving some random poke aeroblast, psycho break or sacred fire? I realize that arceus got roar of time and spacial rend but it's arceus and it was an event pokemon...giving an exclusive move to another poke doesn't seem to fit the criteria...

Grei
14th April 2011, 3:52 AM

YES. I would love this. If only it wasn't a signature move.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
14th April 2011, 4:01 AM
Everyone though Motor Drive was a signature ability too.

BCVM22
14th April 2011, 4:06 AM
Not of an event Legendary it wasn't.

Pokemon Trainer Blue
14th April 2011, 4:15 AM
Unfezent is so disappointing in comparison to the awesomeness that was Staraptor, it just couldn't out do it. Not that I ever use the generic region bird, but honestly, the best move Unfezent learns is fly. It has so little coverage in comparison to Staraptor.

Klinklangs movepool and stats are flawed and don't go together well. It's only unique niche is Stab Gear Grind, and not MUCH else.

Maractus is the most forgettable Pokemon this gen. Pure grass, SECOND Cactus Pokemon, doesn't evolve, not used by any Gym Leaders/E4/Rivals, and has no niche where it isn't outclassed.

Cryogonals 30 base defense is lol-worthy.

The starters are the most disappointing things ever. Tepig, Dewott, and Servine were so cool. Then Pignite, Emboar, Samurott, and Serperior happened. All have disappointing types, movepools, and stats (imo). All Serperior can do (unqiue) is Contrary Leaf Storm. Other than that, outclassed by...Meganium.

Stunfisk deserved better.

Durant got Traunt as a DW ability...inb4entrainmentandtrueant

Grei
14th April 2011, 4:18 AM
Unfezent is so disappointing in comparison to the awesomeness that was Staraptor, it just couldn't out do it. Not that I ever use the generic region bird, but honestly, the best move Unfezent learns is fly. It has so little coverage in comparison to Staraptor.

Klinklangs movepool and stats are flawed and don't go together well. It's only unique niche is Stab Gear Grind, and not MUCH else.

Maractus is the most forgettable Pokemon this gen. Pure grass, SECOND Cactus Pokemon, doesn't evolve, not used by any Gym Leaders/E4/Rivals, and has no niche where it isn't outclassed.

The starters are the most disappointing things ever. Tepig, Dewott, and Servine were so cool. Then Pignite, Emboar, Samurott, and Serperior happened. All have disappointing types, movepools, and stats (imo). All Serperior can do (unqiue) is Contrary Leaf Storm. Other than that, outclassed by...Meganium.

You sound like 7/8ths of the fandom after the starters were released. My God.

Pokemon Trainer Blue
14th April 2011, 4:19 AM
You sound like 7/8ths of the fandom after the starters were released. My God. I'm not trying to follow the crowd, I believe in something called integrity. These are my raw opinions.

XXD17
14th April 2011, 4:30 AM

Unfezant is meant to be a defensive pokemon rather than an offensive pokemon like staraptor so even though they are regional birds, they can't really be compared in terms of attacking prowess

Klinklang does indeed have a horrible movepool

Maractus can be quite powerful when used right...it does really well as a sunny-beamer but it will indeed be overlooked just like sunflora...

Cryogonal is really fast and it has pretty good SA...it beats ninjask and people use that poke...also, it can learn acid armor...

Serperior is a new concept, one of the first fast walls

stunfisk is...well it's stunfisk

Durant's dream world ability is indeed odd...laziness and ants don't seem to go together, society tends to associate ants with perseverance an diligence...

R_N
14th April 2011, 4:37 AM
Emboar has a pretty great movepool, actually. Fire moves, fighting moves, rock moves, Earthquake, even electric. I mean it's not going to live long but

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
14th April 2011, 5:20 AM
1. Samurott. Looks is purely personal opinions. As the phrase goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So I'll ignore this part. Second, it has a good movepool. Surf, Waterfall, Swords Dance, Aqua Jet, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, Megahorn, X-Scissor, etc. The stats are good for mixed sweeping and although it has mediocre speed it does not have crippling defenses like the following.

2. Emboar. I personally don't like this one. But, I admit that is a personal thing. Again, crippling defenses and speed. They thought the HP would make up for it. It doesn't. Movepool is pretty wide though. Flamethrower, Rock Slide, Grass Knot, Scald, Brick Break, Hammer Arm, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Superpower, Earthquake, etc.

3. Serperior. This one is fine for me. Good defenses, first of all, but the high speed isn't necessary. Just relocate give or take 20 points into the offenses and it will be fine. This guy's movepool is shallow but Contrary Leaf Storm is pretty bad.

4. Stunfisk. This guy wasn't made by GF to be terrible, it was made to look funny. But GF made it bad anyways.

5. Cryogonal. It is pretty bad because of the crippling Defense. The high Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed make up for it somewhat I guess.

6. Unfezant. It is not defensive. It is physical. It just has a poor movepool to go along with it. For god's sake, it's not the worst thing ever so I don't like the excess hate on it.

7. Klinklang. Stats decent, moves terrible. Enough said.

8. Maractus. Acupressure is its small niche. That is it.

Just voicing my opinions on the above rant.

@ BCVM22

It still was exclusive, and if it is exclusive, (and it was mentioned several times that Motor Drive was Electivire's signature ability) people expect it to stay exclusive. It evidently didn't.

rocky505
14th April 2011, 12:44 PM
@ BCVM22

It still was exclusive, and if it is exclusive, (and it was mentioned several times that Motor Drive was Electivire's signature ability) people expect it to stay exclusive. It evidently didn't. But it did not belong to a legendary which is what they were talking about. Most abilities are not meant to be exclusive to certain Pokemon. Drizzle and Drought is different. Right after we got those abilities non legendary pokemon started getting weather starting moves. That is why Vulpix and Politoed got those.

RedMage23
14th April 2011, 1:53 PM
Unfezant never struck me as anything more than a carbon copy of Pidgeot. At least Swellow and Staraptor had their unique (and quite good) uses. Unfezant is forgettable.

Stunfisk seems viable to me... its typing and stats alone make it seem like there could be something to it. Personally, I've never used it so I don't know for sure.

gyaradosuseddragonrage!
14th April 2011, 4:11 PM
But it did not belong to a legendary which is what they were talking about. Most abilities are not meant to be exclusive to certain Pokemon. Drizzle and Drought is different. Right after we got those abilities non legendary pokemon started getting weather starting moves. That is why Vulpix and Politoed got those.

In my mind, Drizzle, Drought, and Sand Stream starting out exclusive and then spreading is the same as what happened to Motor Drive. If GF wanted Drizzle, Drought, and Sand Stream exclusive, they would have kept it like that.

Poke_Mania97
14th April 2011, 7:54 PM
Now If any of your are american and have lost family members in the 9/11 attacks please dont get offended by this...

My friend said that Kyerum is 'the 9/11 pokemon' becuase its height even though its 9ft 10". also he said the part of Unova u find him is based on Ground Zero.

I personally think he wrong, but what do you guys think

Grey Wind
14th April 2011, 7:58 PM
.......Wow your friend is stupid. Giant Chasm has no similarities with Ground Zero. And basing his assumption on Kyurem's height? Also Nintendo wouldn't do that, it would be to offensive.

Poke_Mania97
14th April 2011, 8:00 PM
.......Wow your friend is stupid. Giant Chasm has no similarities with Ground Zero. And basing his assumption on Kyurem's height? Also Nintendo wouldn't do that, it would be to offensive.

yeah i know and he's smart in school but is an idiot if you know what i mean! he always makes his own pokemon pronounciations

TsukiMirage
14th April 2011, 8:05 PM
In my mind, Drizzle, Drought, and Sand Stream starting out exclusive and then spreading is the same as what happened to Motor Drive. If GF wanted Drizzle, Drought, and Sand Stream exclusive, they would have kept it like that. Couldn't they have simply made new abilities with the same effect? That's basically what they did for Reshiram and Zekrom.

Dracoste
14th April 2011, 8:09 PM
Couldn't they have simply made new abilities with the same effect? That's basically what they did for Reshiram and Zekrom.

Also with Cloud Nine and Air Lock. Air Lock is still Rayquaza's signature ability, while other pokémon can have Cloud Nine, which have the same effect as Air Lock.

LexSuicune
14th April 2011, 8:29 PM
6. Unfezant. It is not defensive. It is physical. It just has a poor movepool to go along with it. For god's sake, it's not the worst thing ever so I don't like the excess hate on it.

Regarding Unfezant, what I do not understand is why they gave it such a horrible movepool, there's so little you can do with it in comparison to something like Staraptor.

Lorde
14th April 2011, 8:38 PM
Regarding Unfezant, what I do not understand is why they gave it such a horrible movepool, there's so little you can do with it in comparison to something like Staraptor.

I remember using Unfezant in the Japanese games. Let's just say it wasn't my kind of Pokemon. I don't think it's terrible, but I really didn't enjoy using it as much as I thought I would. I rarely ever stick with the regional bird Pokemon, but after training a Staraptor in D/P/Pt, I assumed that Unfezant would be equally as useful. Well, I've learned to use other Flying-type Pokemon on my team, like Braviary and Swoobat.

LexSuicune
14th April 2011, 8:46 PM
A lot of people completely ignore Mandibuzz, is it really that bad that it won't even be mentioned as a flying replacement for Unfezant?

Most people talk about using Archeops, Braviary, Swoobat or even Sygilyph, but never Mandibuzz.

RedMage23
14th April 2011, 9:09 PM
A lot of people completely ignore Mandibuzz, is it really that bad that it won't even be mentioned as a flying replacement for Unfezant?

Most people talk about using Archeops, Braviary, Swoobat or even Sygilyph, but never Mandibuzz.

I love Mandibuzz! It's my favorite flying-type this gen. I love its design and if I didn't already have its niche filled by other Pokemon I'd use it.

Blackjack the Titan
14th April 2011, 9:39 PM
I love Mandibuzz! It's my favorite flying-type this gen. I love its design and if I didn't already have its niche filled by other Pokemon I'd use it.

Just caught Vullaby. Can't wait to evolve it into a Mandibuzz.
I agree, It's design is really cool. But it and Braviary are tied in my favorite of the Flying Pokémon of Unova.

manifesto
14th April 2011, 9:50 PM
Mandibuzz is cool, I'm just not a fan of vultures. Vullaby's kinda creepy to me, it's probably that nauseating shade of pink it has on its face. I'm not sure, it's just off to me somehow.

abraxas
14th April 2011, 9:56 PM
I love the design of Mandibuzz, and as great as Braviary is, it just can't beat Mandibuzz. =3
And, unlike manifesto, I love vultures. I've been waiting on a vulture based Poke for the longest time.

XXD17
14th April 2011, 10:06 PM

I don't think braviary was ever mentioned...the main reason most people don't mention mandibuzz as a replacement for unfezant is because you find vullaby after you get the last badge...most people would like a flying a type they can use early on without the need to trade over...and trust me, mandibuzz is not ignored, it and reuniclus are the terrors of sandstorm teams...

manifesto
14th April 2011, 10:18 PM
I love the design of Mandibuzz, and as great as Braviary is, it just can't beat Mandibuzz. =3
And, unlike manifesto, I love vultures. I've been waiting on a vulture based Poke for the longest time.

It might honestly be that it's got that weird skirt and all it reminds me of are mall goths. I don't know, I'm a bit put-off by it. Vultures can be cool, this specific one just didn't do it for me.

When it comes to flyers I like Archeops anyway, Dinobirds FTW. I'm still waiting for a T-rex or velociraptor pokemon though. One day. One day.

rocky505
14th April 2011, 10:19 PM
It might honestly be that it's got that weird skirt and all it reminds me of are mall goths. I don't know, I'm a bit put-off by it. Vultures can be cool, this specific one just didn't do it for me.

When it comes to flyers I like Archeops anyway, Dinobirds FTW. I'm still waiting for a T-rex or velociraptor pokemon though. One day. One day. They is a t rex -_-.

Dracoste
14th April 2011, 10:42 PM
They is a t rex -_-.

Which one? If you mean Rampardos, that one is based on a Pachycephalosauria.

manifesto
14th April 2011, 10:43 PM
They is a t rex -_-.

Archeops is an Archeopteryx. There is yet to a T-rex or velociraptor pokemon.

Kingudora
14th April 2011, 10:56 PM
What is Tyranitar? Not a Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Mario with Lasers
14th April 2011, 10:59 PM
Now If any of your are american and have lost family members in the 9/11 attacks please dont get offended by this...

My friend said that Kyerum is 'the 9/11 pokemon' becuase its height even though its 9ft 10". also he said the part of Unova u find him is based on Ground Zero.

I personally think he wrong, but what do you guys think

No, Kyurem is 9'10'' (even if you take its height in centimeters from the JP versions) and, if anything, the desert north of Castelia is Ground Zero. You know, being New York and all.

manifesto
14th April 2011, 11:17 PM
What is Tyranitar? Not a Tyrannosaurus Rex?

The "tyran" part of Tyranitar comes from the word tyrant in the definition that we connotate it with: an evil, dictatoral ruler. Also honestly, Tyranitar would be a sad excuse for a T-rex design-wise IMO.

Ballistixz
14th April 2011, 11:20 PM
Archeops is an Archeopteryx. There is yet to a T-rex or velociraptor pokemon.

T-Tar (tyranitor) is the T-rex pokemon.

The "tyran" part of Tyranitar comes from the word tyrant in the definition that we connotate it with: an evil, dictatoral ruler. Also honestly, Tyranitar would be a sad excuse for a T-rex design-wise IMO.

the same can be said for T rex as that is what its name is driven by aswell. also T tar is the closest thing to T rex pokemon in this game. that or Godzilla.

manifesto
14th April 2011, 11:26 PM
Please enlighten me as to how this:

http://www.celebrationsandtoys.co.uk/images/P/t%20rex.jpg

and this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_69FSMcbtEfI/TORMWGBXpVI/AAAAAAAAALk/rM5QeuTk0M4/s1600/248Tyranitar_Dream.png

are the same. Tyranitar has fully working limbs, and is a made up, fictional monster to fit in as Dragonite the sequel. Honestly, I don't think Tyranitar even has any sort of real life counterpart.

Tyrant in the case of Tyrannosaurus Rex, loosely means warrior ruler. That's the original meaning of it, not connotative. We as modern people look at tyrants as bad and evil. The ancient Greeks and Romans used tyrant to mean warrior ruler-king. Tyrannosaurus Rex means king of lizards (with rex actually meaning king and since it's a carnovore, it's a warrior and saur[us] means lizard.)

lindsy95
15th April 2011, 12:08 AM
Pokemon don't have to match their base animal, I've never seen a turtle with cannons, which is a far bigger difference than the functionality of limbs.

yeminied
15th April 2011, 12:29 AM
Please enlighten me as to how this:

http://www.celebrationsandtoys.co.uk/images/P/t%20rex.jpg

and this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_69FSMcbtEfI/TORMWGBXpVI/AAAAAAAAALk/rM5QeuTk0M4/s1600/248Tyranitar_Dream.png

are the same. Tyranitar has fully working limbs, and is a made up, fictional monster to fit in as Dragonite the sequel. Honestly, I don't think Tyranitar even has any sort of real life counterpart.

Tyrant in the case of Tyrannosaurus Rex, loosely means warrior ruler. That's the original meaning of it, not connotative. We as modern people look at tyrants as bad and evil. The ancient Greeks and Romans used tyrant to mean warrior ruler-king. Tyrannosaurus Rex means king of lizards (with rex actually meaning king and since it's a carnovore, it's a warrior and saur[us] means lizard.)

I think they look remarkably similar. They both have stubby arms and long tails while being a similar colour. Those black stripes on the T-Rex look like the holes on Tyranitar. They also have big mouths with teeth.

There are plenty of Pokémon based on animals that look nothing like their real world counterpart. It doesn't matter, they still drew inspiration from them and I think GameFreak drew inspiration from the T-Rex to make Tyranitar.

R_N
15th April 2011, 12:29 AM

It's not so much that it has a horrible move pool as it is having a mis-matched movepool.

If it was a defensive oriented stat layout, it would probably have a respectable niche

manifesto
15th April 2011, 1:07 AM
Pokemon don't have to match their base animal, I've never seen a turtle with cannons, which is a far bigger difference than the functionality of limbs.

Sigh...Blastoise actually looks like a turtle/tortoise though, no? I've never seen a chu shoot lightning, or a horse have a flaming mane, but I can tell what they look like.

I think they look remarkably similar. They both have stubby arms and long tails while being a similar colour. Those black stripes on the T-Rex look like the holes on Tyranitar. They also have big mouths with teeth.

There are plenty of Pokémon based on animals that look nothing like their real world counterpart. It doesn't matter, they still drew inspiration from them and I think GameFreak drew inspiration from the T-Rex to make Tyranitar.

Name a few, I honestly can't. Maybe Diglett, but he's a mole and that at least is within his description...and he does sort of look like a mole's head in a cartoony way.

Anatomically, Tyranitar is all wrong, he may stand on two legs, but he looks more like a horned toad (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9H0QNRT56PQ/RmToY3RKOxI/AAAAAAAAAVw/Gv-QXmbXe7Q/s400/horned+toad.JPG) in general even though he isn't on all fours. The rock type and sand stream ability also makes sense because horned toads live in the desert.

His arms are actually useful for things (he also has shoulders), his tail can be used defensively rather than solely for balance, and so on. One also has to remember that Tyranitar is a Tyrant in that he's actually a tyrant. All of his Pokedex entries describe him fighting other pokemon because he's the toughest guy around.

Other than the fossils, which are all prehistoric animals/plants, there is Mamoswine, Tangrowth and Yanmega, which are all based off of creatures and plants that lived during the period where dinosaurs walked the Earth. You can argue that this is proof that not all pokemon that are dinosaurs or based off ancient creatures are fossils, but all of these pokemon's pre-evos evolve by learning Ancientpower so the argument is somewhat invalid as the creators of the game directly reference that the pokemon are ancient. Doduo and Dodrio don't count because Dodo birds existed all the way up to the 17th Century and weren't extinct prehistorically.

The point is, anything that has a prehistoric base in these games at least has a tie to history by being a fossil or having to learn Ancientpower. A T-rex for Tyranitar as a physical inspiration is honestly a stretch.

rocky505
15th April 2011, 1:34 AM
His arms are actually useful for things (he also has shoulders), his tail can be used defensively rather than solely for balance, and so on. One also has to remember that Tyranitar is a Tyrant in that he's actually a tyrant. All of his Pokedex entries describe him fighting other pokemon because he's the toughest guy around.

Well the T rex was the toughest Dinosaur around which is a match.

manifesto
15th April 2011, 1:39 AM
Not really, Spinosaurus could kick the T-rex's butt any day. As could the Megalosaurus and even a pack of Velociraptors. The T-rex only has its name because it was the biggest carnivore found at the point where it was found.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g23luxfc5AY/SxyJIjdMDaI/AAAAAAAAZUg/LXbOcdg7hWM/s640/20060301-spinosaurus.gif

It's in spanish, I know, but when it came to dinosaurs, bigger did mean better. The Spinosaurus was bigger, faster and stronger than the T-rex.

R_N
15th April 2011, 1:45 AM
Wasn't the T-rex also a scavenger and not a direct hunter?

manifesto
15th April 2011, 1:50 AM
Yup! That's the likely case, I just read that today, actually.

Kariachi
15th April 2011, 2:01 AM
I figured Druddigon was more like a therapod(?) than Tyranitar. Tyranitar is more like Godzilla.

manifesto
15th April 2011, 2:56 AM
I heard somewhere Druddigon was based off of a gargoyle (that would explain the lack of flight.) I don't know, I just heard it. Would also make some sense with his rough skin ability since statues that aren't made of marble are usually rough to the touch.

And yes, before anyone says it, I've heard of the old cartoon show "Gargoyles."

XXD17
15th April 2011, 3:48 AM
Which one? If you mean Rampardos, that one is based on a Pachycephalosauria.

I think he means tyranitar...it even has the tyran- of tyrannosaurus rex in its name...or you can debate that tyran comes from tyrant but tyrannosaurus rex does mean "tyrant lizard king" in latin so it just comes back full circle...

from what I can see tyranitar has two major influences, godzilla (the green color and the spines on its back) and a large theropod dinosaur (which may have served as the basis for godzilla)...It's definitely not the spitting image of a T. rex but hey we don't even know what a T. rex is really supposed to look like when it actually was alive and most pokemon aren't spitting images of their base animals...tyranitar looks to be a large bipedal, carnivorous reptile with a decently sized head and powerful jaws, powerful hind limbs, a powerful tail, and relatively short fore limbs...these are all characteristics of the classical appearance for tyrannosaurus rex or daspletosaurus or tarbosaurus or albertasaurus are any other theropod in the tyrannosaur family...I think tyranitar is essentially half Tyrannosaur and half mutated lizard...

manifesto
15th April 2011, 3:52 AM
I think he means tyranitar...it even has the tyran- of tyrannosaurus rex in its name...or you can debate that tyran comes from tyrant but tyrannosaurus rex does mean "tyrant lizard king" so it just comes back full circle...

See: everything I said before. Tyrant has a different connotation today than it originally did. In the case of Tyranitar, it's the same as Fidel Castro, a big jerk who picks on the little guy. Tyranitar's pokedex entries support this.

In the case of the T-rex Tyrant takes a different meaning, its original meaning. "Leader, power-holder" because at the time the T-rex was discovered, they thought it was the most powerful carnivorous dinosaur alive. Studies show that today it seems that the T-rex wasn't as strong as we had originally though and it was also a scavenger.

Mario with Lasers
15th April 2011, 3:53 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g23luxfc5AY/SxyJIjdMDaI/AAAAAAAAZUg/LXbOcdg7hWM/s640/20060301-spinosaurus.gif

It's in spanish, I know, but when it came to dinosaurs, bigger did mean better. The Spinosaurus was bigger, faster and stronger than the T-rex.

...It's in Portuguese, actually.

manifesto
15th April 2011, 3:59 AM
...It's in Portuguese, actually.

Apologies, I didn't take either of those languages in High School and I honestly looked very very quickly at the text and saw some of the words that both Spanish and Portuguese share so I just took a quick guess since I know more Spanish than Portuguese.

XXD17
15th April 2011, 4:12 AM
See: everything I said before. Tyrant has a different connotation today than it originally did. In the case of Tyranitar, it's the same as Fidel Castro, a big jerk who picks on the little guy. Tyranitar's pokedex entries support this.

In the case of the T-rex Tyrant takes a different meaning, its original meaning. "Leader, power-holder" because at the time the T-rex was discovered, they thought it was the most powerful carnivorous dinosaur alive. Studies show that today it seems that the T-rex wasn't as strong as we had originally though and it was also a scavenger.

Here's the official dictionary definition for the word tyrant. It includes both contemporary and historical definitions of tyrant
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrant

tyrant has always had the meaning of a leader or a power holder...it still has that definition today...only there was always a second part of the definition...If it was just leader or power holder, then other labels like king, monarch or even chief will also fit the bill...so what makes tyrant different? A tyrant is only deemed a tyrant if he 1. acts without the sanction of the people or 2. executes absolute control...a possible synonym for this word would be dictator...and this word naturally has always had a negative connotation. The reason tyrannosaurus rex was called so was because it was the largest species in its genus which was speculated to have fed on all smaller species of dinosaurs...in fact, its family was called the "tyrannosaurs" (tyrant lizards) due to paleontologist anthropomorphizing them by associating with them the demeanor of an oppressive king since they were so large and powerful so we imagined them to act as such...we still continue to name animals this way...the rex part only talks about its size...ever heard of Tyrannosaurs bataar? Its the same genus as Tyrannosaurus rex only it tends to be overlooked since the species names for dinosaurs are mostly overlooked and it was much smaller than T. rex...when one thinks of triceratops, one usually thinks of the genus triceratops, never of the individual species like triceratops horridus or triceratops prorsus...anyways, I digress...I really don't think the meaning and connotation of tyrant in tyrannosaurus is any different from the meaning or connotation of tyrant in tyranitar...

manifesto
15th April 2011, 4:31 AM
Here's the official dictionary definition for the word tyrant. It includes both contemporary and historical definitions of tyrant
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrant

tyrant has always had the meaning of a leader or a power holder...it still has that definition today...only there was always a second part of the definition...If it was just leader or power holder, then other labels like king, monarch or even chief will also fit the bill...so what makes tyrant different? A tyrant is only deemed a tyrant if he 1. acts without the sanction of the people or 2. executes absolute control...a possible synonym for this word would be dictator...and this word naturally has always had a negative connotation. The reason tyrannosaurus rex was called so was because it was the largest species in its genus which was speculated to have fed on all smaller species of dinosaurs...in fact, its family was called the "tyrannosaurs" (tyrant lizards) due to paleontologist anthropomorphizing them by associating with them the demeanor of an oppressive king since they were so large and powerful so we imagined them to act as such...we still continue to name animals this way...the rex part only talks about its size...ever heard of Tyrannosaurs bataar? Its the same genus as Tyrannosaurus rex only it tends to be overlooked since the species names for dinosaurs are mostly overlooked...when one thinks of triceratops, one usually thinks of the genus triceratops, never of the individual species like triceratops horridus or triceratops prorsus...anyways, I digress...I really don't think the meaning and connotation of tyrant in tyrannosaurus is any different from the meaning or connotation of tyrant in tyranitar...

Even if that was a more legitimate source, or you used multiple sources, it doesn't make the specific anatomical differences between a tyrannosaurus rex and Tyranitar any less so. They may have used that for the naming of Tyrannosaurus rex, that's fine. I'll concede there. But, Tyranitar isn't a T-rex. He doesn't look like one, doesn't hold any of the same anatomical uses of body parts, and isn't a fossil pokemon/ancientpower evolver. There is no way that Tyranitar is a T-rex. Everyone can say that Venusaur isn't a toad infected with a parasitic plant, but look at toads and then look at venusaur, you can see the similarities. We can tell Blastoise is a turtle/tortoise. We can tell Drowzee is a tapir. We can tell Scyther is a mantis. They ALL look like the animal they were based off of. It's okay for Pokemon to have created a pokemon that doesn't have a base in an animal. Tyranitar is one of those pokemon. He's just Tyranitar. The closest thing to him is a horned toad, which again, would explain his rock typing and his sand stream ability due to the fact that it lives in the desert. But that's just an idea if T-tar HAS to be an animal.

XXD17
15th April 2011, 4:41 AM
Even if that was a more legitimate source, or you used multiple sources, it doesn't make the specific anatomical differences between a tyrannosaurus rex and Tyranitar any less so. They may have used that for the naming of Tyrannosaurus rex, that's fine. I'll concede there. But, Tyranitar isn't a T-rex. He doesn't look like one, doesn't hold any of the same anatomical uses of body parts, and isn't a fossil pokemon/ancientpower evolver. There is no way that Tyranitar is a T-rex. Everyone can say that Venusaur isn't a toad infected with a parasitic plant, but look at toads and then look at venusaur, you can see the similarities. We can tell Blastoise is a turtle/tortoise. We can tell Drowzee is a tapir. We can tell Scyther is a mantis. They ALL look like the animal they were based off of. It's okay for Pokemon to have created a pokemon that doesn't have a base in an animal. Tyranitar is one of those pokemon. He's just Tyranitar. The closest thing to him is a horned toad, which again, would explain his rock typing and his sand stream ability due to the fact that it lives in the desert. But that's just an idea if T-tar HAS to be an animal.

But can't uyou see even the pokemon you mentioned have differences that make them not look like what they are supposed to? pokemon are just that, animals made to look different from but still retain the "essence" of their base animal...Venusaur indeed looks like a toad but toads don't have teeth, triangular ears or claws...blastoise indeed looks like a turtle but turtles don't have camel noses and cat ears either...drowzee looks like a very good malayan tapir only it has fingers on its forelimbs rather than hooves...scyther has the essencce of a mantis but it look more like a raptor missing a tail, having blades for claws and two a pairs of wings...real mantids have look more along the lines of leavanny but even it strays...as I said before, t-tar isn't completely a T. rex but the t-rex essence, the ferocious, bipedal carnivorous reptile with short fore limbs and a bulky head, is still there even though it looks more like godzilla mixed with an iguana...and I'm pretty sure when they were making it, they had the idea of "meat-eating dinosaur" in their mind...

Mario with Lasers
15th April 2011, 4:57 AM
Apologies, I didn't take either of those languages in High School and I honestly looked very very quickly at the text and saw some of the words that both Spanish and Portuguese share so I just took a quick guess since I know more Spanish than Portuguese.

No worries.

Well, I wouldn't call Castro a "tyrant"... Anyway, Tyranitar's Japanese name is Bangiras, which is more related to "violence" than to "t-rex".

Cobalt_Latios
15th April 2011, 4:58 AM
Okay... I believe I need some help with something. To all those that are using Hydreigon, or know how to use it properly, please explain to me what I'm doing wrong; I evolved it, and started to train it to about level 70 (you know, so it's around a decent level for Elite 4 and whatnot). The only problem is, the damn thing can't take very many hits, and isn't to significantly powerful. At it's level, I'd expect more from it.

Is there something I didn't quite do right?

/CL

XXD17
15th April 2011, 5:05 AM
Okay... I believe I need some help with something. To all those that are using Hydreigon, or know how to use it properly, please explain to me what I'm doing wrong; I evolved it, and started to train it to about level 70 (you know, so it's around a decent level for Elite 4 and whatnot). The only problem is, the damn thing can't take very many hits, and isn't to significantly powerful. At it's level, I'd expect more from it.

Is there something I didn't quite do right?

/CL

Is this the elite four the first time or the second time? what nature is it? what are its moves?

manifesto
15th April 2011, 5:07 AM
But can't uyou see even the pokemon you mentioned have differences that make them not look like what they are supposed to? pokemon are just that, animals made to look different from but still retain the "essence" of their base anima...Venusaur indeed looks like a toad but toads don't have teeth, triangular ears or claws...blastoise indeed looks like a turtle but turtles don't have camel noses and cat ears either...scyther has the essencce of a mantis but it look more like a raptor missing a tail, having blades for claws and two a pairs of wings...real mantids have look more along the lines of leavanny but even it strays...as I said before, t-tar isn't completely a T. rex but the t-rex essence, the ferocious, bipedal carnivorous reptile with short fore limbs and a bulky head, is still there even though it looks more like godzilla mixed with an iguana...

Right, but those are slight differences. Only slight. I was saying that they maintain the essence of the animal they are supposed to be. Scyther has the blades, which is similar to the arms that a mantis has, even if a mantis doesn't have blades, it has the abdomen and wings not to mention it's the mantis pokemon. It counts. The point is that Tyranitar, if it were a T-rex would likely not have slashing moves and the like, or be able to topple mountains, or be able to do any of the things he does other than bite crap (Yes, I know Rampardos learns mega punch but is that from regular level up?) He would also be a fossil. None, I repeat none of the pokemon that are based off of extinct prehistoric creatures aren't fossils if they don't evolve from an already existing pokemon learning ancientpower. They make the point that the pokemon are based off of ancient creatures through the methods of obtaining them. Tyranitar is just a monster.

Bulbapedia makes reference to Tyranatar being a "Tyrannosaurus" but they don't specify "T-rex." Now this is going to sound nitpicky, but a T-rex is a specific type of Tyrannosaur. So let's settle at that. He can be a Tyrannosaur, but he's just not a T-rex. He's a Tyrannosaur and if were real, would be similar to a T-rex. Dinosaur means "Terrible lizard" which connotates to "Really really big lizard" which Tyranitar is. So in all basicness Tyranitar is a Dinosaur. But he is in no way a T-rex. It has none of the similar bodily functions and anatomical necessities. They also make mention that he can come from the legendary creature Tarasque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarasque)

Also, to be clear, a Tyrannosaurus Rex pokemon would have to be a fossil. The games have that consistency with prehistoric creatures. Tyranitar can be based off of the generalization "Tyrannosaur." The whole point I was trying to make is that he isn't specifically a T-rex. So we have yet to have a T-rex pokemon.

Tyranitar could very well be based off of a Dinosaur sized horned toad, Godzilla and a Tarasque. Just not a T-rex. Okay? Does this make sense? Can we drop it?

Well, I wouldn't call Castro a "tyrant"... Anyway, Tyranitar's Japanese name is Bangiras, which is more related to "violence" than to "t-rex".

Thank you, it still furthers my point. I suffer from American-itis when it comes to my views of Castro, I'm afraid.

XXD17
15th April 2011, 5:15 AM
Right, but those are slight differences. Only slight. I was saying that they maintain the essence of the animal they are supposed to be. Scyther has the blades, which is similar to the arms that a mantis has, even if a mantis doesn't have blades, it has the abdomen and wings not to mention it's the mantis pokemon. It counts. The point is that Tyranitar, if it were a T-rex would likely not have slashing moves and the like, or be able to topple mountains, or be able to do any of the things he does other than bite crap (Yes, I know Rampardos learns mega punch but is that from regular level up?) He would also be a fossil. None, I repeat none of the pokemon that are based off of extinct prehistoric creatures aren't fossils if they don't evolve from an already existing pokemon learning ancientpower. They make the point that the pokemon are based off of ancient creatures through the methods of obtaining them. Tyranitar is just a monster.

Bulbapedia makes reference to Tyranatar being a "Tyrannosaurus" but they don't specify "T-rex." Now this is going to sound nitpicky, but a T-rex is a specific type of Tyrannosaur. So let's settle at that. He can be a Tyrannosaur, but he's just not a T-rex. He's a Tyrannosaur and if were real, would be similar to a T-rex. Dinosaur means "Terrible lizard" which connotates to "Really really big lizard" which Tyranitar is. So in all basicness Tyranitar is a Dinosaur. But he is in no way a T-rex. It has none of the similar bodily functions and anatomical necessities. They also make mention that he can come from the legendary creature Tarasque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarasque)

Also, to be clear, a Tyrannosaurus Rex pokemon would have to be a fossil the games have that consistency. Tyranitar can be based off of the generalization "Tyrannosaur." The whole point I was trying to make is that he isn't specifically a T-rex. So we have yet to have a T-rex pokemon.

Tyranitar could very well be based off of a Dinosaur sized horned toad, Godzilla and a Tarasque. Just not a T-rex. Okay? Does this make sense? Can we drop it?

Thank you, it still furthers my point. I suffer from American-itis when it comes to my views of Castro, I'm afraid.

Isn't that what I was trying to tell you in the first place? on how t-tatr was partially a tyrannosaur and partially some mutated reptile?...anyways...the toppling of mountains was because of its powerful strides, and it does mainly bite crap...it learns bite, crunch, ice fang, thunder fang, fire fang..almost all the moves that involve biting...and it only learns slashing moves (like dragon claw) via TM...anyways, you are obviously and adamant dinosaur enthusiast and I must respect that ( because I am one as well :P) and your want for a proper T. rex is fine...I just don't think that anyone can deny that there is some tyrannosaur in t-tar...anyways, let's drop this and help the guy above with his hydreigon...

manifesto
15th April 2011, 5:21 AM
Isn't that what I was trying to tell you in the first place? on how t-tatr was partially a tyrannosaur and partially some mutated reptile?...anyways...the toppling of mountains was because of its powerful strides, and it does mainly bite crap...it learns bite, crunch, ice fang, thunder fang, fire fang..almost all the moves that involve biting...and it only learns slashing moves (like dragon claw) via TM...anyways, you are obviously and adamant dinosaur enthusiast and I must respect that ( because I am one as well :P) and your want for a proper T. rex is fine...I just don't think that anyone can deny that there is some tyrannosaur in t-tar...anyways, let's drop this and help the guy above with his hydreigon...

I got tunnel vision from the amount of LOL IT'S A T-REX BLARGH posts, I love dinosaurs and I want better fossil pokemon is all :X

I also needed to revamp some of my research the entire time, T-tar also learns the elemental punches and such too. So, let's just leave it at it isn't a T-rex and that's it.

Hydreigon didn't work for me either. But mine's Impish so I see why...Hurm...

Maybe the Hydreigon isn't using attacks that work for its most powerful attack stat?

happisquare
15th April 2011, 6:40 AM
I'm having trouble evolving my Gligar,can someone help me lol?

XXD17
15th April 2011, 6:43 AM
I'm having trouble evolving my Gligar,can someone help me lol?

wrong thread...just have it hold razor fang and level it up at around 9 pm...

Cobalt_Latios
15th April 2011, 8:07 AM
Is this the elite four the first time or the second time? what nature is it? what are its moves?
Second time, Serious, moves:

- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Rush
- Crunch
- Flamethrower.

Not entirely sure how this helps, but still.

/CL

R_N
15th April 2011, 8:15 AM

- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Rush
- Crunch
- Flamethrower.

/CL
Well Serious is neutral across the board, for what it's worth. And I'm guessing you haven't "properly" trained it in Special Attack.
Probably in your interest to replace Dragon Rush with Surf

I'm not entirely sure how much damage you expect to be doing, though? Like, I used Vanilluxe (base 110) and Lilligant (also 110) and generally killed all that came before me with ease (most of my mons were that way, for that matter) so ... ?

Sabonea_Masukippa
15th April 2011, 1:05 PM
This is going to be long, so just bear with me.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/46/533Gurdurr_Dream.png
You just went from being one of my least favorite Unovans in the looks department, to one of my favorites.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/af/537Seismitoad_Dream.png
Gargh! Long Fingers of DOOOOOOOOM

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/47/536Palpitoad_Dream.png
See Gurdurr's comment above. Herp derp cute heaven.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/2d/635Hydreigon_Dream.png
Now I (finally) get what they meant when they said the markings on its underbelly were remnants of when the line were, at least partially, based on tanks.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d1/630Mandibuzz_Dream.png
I'm man enough to say that if I saw this thing flying above me, I'd poo my pants.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/cd/623Golurk_Dream.png
Still, and increasingly, one of my favorite designs of 5th Gen.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/e/e9/271Lombre_Dream.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/30/272Ludicolo_Dream.png
I don't care if they're ever so slightly racist, these two have never looked better. (Lombre is still waiting for a decent sprite, btw.)

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5b/268Cascoon_Dream.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/bc/266Silcoon_Dream.png
Sometimes I wish that the split occurred at the second evo and not at Wurmple. Although, at least these two look somewhat different here.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/15/324Torkoal_Dream.png
This design has taken its time, but it's finally starting to really grow on me.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/a0/395Empoleon_Dream.png
As is this one. Probably something to do with its DP sprite.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/28/449Hippopotas_Dream.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c8/450Hippowdon_Dream.png
These two don't get enough credit for having awesome and cute designs, in my opinion.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/27/434Stunky_Dream.png
Another one of those 'least-to-most-favorites.'

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/63/462Magnezone_Dream.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/02/464Rhyperior_Dream.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/a5/476Probopass_Dream.png
These three have gone from 'WTH Game Freak' to 'Genius! Keep up the good work GF!'

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1a/646Kyurem_Dream.png
Hmm, I always forget there's yellow in its design. Is there a 'yellow' color among the registered names that included 'Grey', 'Crimson', 'Scarlet' etc?

Dracoste
15th April 2011, 3:26 PM

- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Rush
- Crunch
- Flamethrower.

/CL

Ah I see what you're doing wrong, Hydreigon's sp. atk is surperior to his atk stat. So perhaps you should get rid of Dragon Rush.

Mine for example has modest nature and these attacks:
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Dark Pulse(egg move)
Flamethrower

And it's just amazing, just put some EVs into his speed so that it hits hard before it gets beaten.

Arcanine724
15th April 2011, 3:29 PM
I think Pokemon need to stop now, if they make a sixth generation then the Pokemon will look rubbish!!!!!!!! All the Pokemon from 001-493 on the Pokedex look OK.

What i'm trying to say is that Pokemon are running out of ideas for names and looks of most Pokemon. Like Klink and it's evolutions and also Trubbish!!! Some of the 5th generation look cool though, like Haxorus and Galvantula, and the type combinations made up are very different, like Larvesta, Volcarona, Joltik and Galvantula who all have very unusaul type combinations.

Hejiru
15th April 2011, 3:38 PM
I think Pokemon need to stop now, if they make a sixth generation then the Pokemon will look rubbish!!!!!!!! All the Pokemon from 001-493 on the Pokedex look OK.

What i'm trying to say is that Pokemon are running out of ideas for names and looks of most Pokemon. Like Klink and it's evolutions and also Trubbish!!! Some of the 5th generation look cool though, like Haxorus and Galvantula, and the type combinations made up are very different, like Larvesta, Volcarona, Joltik and Galvantula who all have very unusaul type combinations.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sjdZIbylXho/TWcZoEQzZuI/AAAAAAAAALc/ZoCo12atoF8/s1600/trollface.jpg

Pyrax
15th April 2011, 3:48 PM

What i'm trying to say is that Pokemon are running out of ideas for names and looks of most Pokemon. Like Klink and it's evolutions and also Trubbish!!!

That's just your opinion, which doesn't matter in GameFreak's eyes.
Tell you what, go to Japan and apply for a job as a pokémon designer and have your designs greenlighted for gen VI, THEN we'll talk.

What i'm trying to say is that Pokemon are running out of ideas for names and looks of most Pokemon. Like Klink and it's evolutions and also Trubbish!!!

Trubbish seems to be a combination of trash and rubbish. Yabukuron may be a combination of 破く yabuku (to tear) or 破ける yabukeru (to get torn), and 袋 fukuro (bag).

Klink is derived from "clink". It also includes the word "link", possibly referencing how the two gears are connected. Giaru is likely derived from ギア gia (gear).

The games have been out for two months in English, you'd think that by now, everyone would be used to the English names.

srullic
15th April 2011, 4:36 PM
...Like Klink
Magnemite

Also notice how every anti-Vgen post seems to mention Trubbish &\or Vanillite?

And a question about Hydreigon, is it based on a Hydra or (bulbapedia) Orochi? (I know it's name from the Okami games)

Dracoste
15th April 2011, 4:51 PM
And a question about Hydreigon, is it based on a Hydra or (bulbapedia) Orochi? (I know it's name from the Okami games)

Well, I think Hydreigon has origins in both the Hydra and Orochi, Hydreigon may don't have 8 heads, but look at the wings, I saw in a interview somewhere that the wings represent heads in silluete...or something along those lines...It's on this thread somewhere but I forgot on which page that interview was :S

Kariachi
15th April 2011, 5:02 PM
Why can't it be both?

Bunface
15th April 2011, 5:59 PM
Where's the best place to buy this game? Am tempted, but the Pokemon just don't look worth the Ł25 the game is going for (in my humble opinion).

XXD17
15th April 2011, 6:08 PM

- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Rush
- Crunch
- Flamethrower.

/CL

It helps a lot...being serious, it has a normal stat spread and since you are going against the elite four a second time, their pokes are around their 70's...now the movepool you have looks fine but keep in mind of a few things...since your hydreigon is serious, it won't OHKO cofagrigus with one crunch nor do I think it will take out jellicent either...froslass obviously will outspeed you but golurk and chandelure should fall...as for grimsley, sharpedo and liepard outspeeds it, scrafty resists it, bisharp resists it and koookodile will be able to take one hit and hit back with outrage so hydreigon isn't the best poke to use here...the drapion shouldn't be a problem if you have EQ...as for caitlin, it should have no problem against most of her poke except for metagross and bronzong...as for Marshal, it's just smart to not use it against any of his pokes, same goes for Alder, save druddigon and escavelier of course...

Dracoste
15th April 2011, 6:15 PM
Where's the best place to buy this game? Am tempted, but the Pokemon just don't look worth the Ł25 the game is going for (in my humble opinion).

I payed €40 for Pokémon Black, and I spended all 40 euros on a awesome game!

Now we are talking about the E4. I have to say that Alder was a total Anti-Climax to me...He only managed to defeat my Emolga, and 2 of his Pokémon got defeated even before they could attack. The members of the E4 were much tougher, all of them at least defeated 3 Pokémon :S

Bunface
15th April 2011, 6:33 PM

I don't doubt it's an awesome game, that's why I want it. :P but I'd probably end up using quite a few Pokemon from my HG game, as I don't rate Gen V Pokemon at all - there's like ten or fifteen I think are cool, and the rest are either copies of an idea from a previous generation or just don't do it for me. So I'm a bit wary about spending Ł25-Ł35, poor as I am. :)

manifesto
15th April 2011, 6:35 PM

Now we are talking about the E4. I have to say that Alder was a total Anti-Climax to me...He only managed to defeat my Emolga, and 2 of his Pokémon got defeated even before they could attack. The members of the E4 were much tougher, all of them at least defeated 3 Pokémon :S

I agree. But I dunno if this is the place to discuss it.

Anywho...

My Hydreigon had the moveset:
dragon pulse, crunch, stone edge and flamethrower.

It provided nice coverage really. I liked it. But Hydreigon made its way off my team since it wasn't pulling the weight I'd hoped it would. Probably because mine wasn't EV trained.

Dracoste
15th April 2011, 6:43 PM
I don't doubt it's an awesome game, that's why I want it. :P but I'd probably end up using quite a few Pokemon from my HG game, as I don't rate Gen V Pokemon at all - there's like ten or fifteen I think are cool, and the rest are either copies of an idea from a previous generation or just don't do it for me. So I'm a bit wary about spending Ł25-Ł35, poor as I am. :)

Well, you can't use any of the pokémon from other games until you defeated the E4. So you have plenty of time to let the other Pokémon grow on you.
You really see the Pokémon in different way if you see them in action.
I now have more than 6 Pokémon I never saw me using before I played the game. like Emolga, Audino, Cofagrigus, etc.
And I even want to train more than the ones I now have! But I have to wait until "Gray" until I can train those^_^

PokemonOwn
15th April 2011, 6:49 PM
I can't wait to train up a Sawk in Gray. :P

What is a good competitive moveset for a Timid Victini? I love the little thing too much. (:

manifesto
15th April 2011, 6:50 PM
Well, you can't use any of the pokémon from other games until you defeated the E4. So you have plenty of time to let the other Pokémon grow on you.
I now have more than 6 Pokémon I never saw me using before I played the game. like Emolga, Audino, Cofagrigus, etc.
And I even want to train more than the ones I now have! But I have to wait until "Gray" until I can train those^_^

I concur here. I had a bunch that I liked and many that I didn't care for before these games came out. Now that I've logged 100+ hours into the game, I like most of them to be quite frank.

Venomrec
15th April 2011, 6:53 PM

What is a good competitive moveset for a Timid Victini? I love the little thing too much. (:

I'm thinking of using sawk aswell but I would prefer Mienshao since there so elegant.

Bunface
15th April 2011, 6:58 PM

Dayum, that'll make things interesting. ^_^ I guess I'll have to warm to some of them when I get the game. Nevertheless, which shops are the cheaper options? :D

manifesto
15th April 2011, 6:58 PM
Sawk is an absolute monster. I love him. He's beaten 3 gyms for me so far in Black. It's awesome.

Grey Wind
15th April 2011, 7:53 PM
Yeah, Throh and Sawk were surprisingly tough to defeat. So that brings me to the question...
Throh or Sawk? I say Throh.

Lorde
15th April 2011, 8:03 PM
Yeah, Throh and Sawk were surprisingly tough to defeat. So that brings me to the question...

I hate them both equally. Just kidding. I don't hate them, but I'm not too fond of them, either. They aren't appealing to me and they've given me a hard time in the games. I remember fighting Marshal's Throh and Sawk. Worst. Elite Four. Battle. Ever. I never really liked Throh and Sawk before then, but battling Marshal's Throh and Sawk was the last straw. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say that I like Throh a bit more than I like Sawk.

R_N
15th April 2011, 8:17 PM
Sawk forever
I love his sleeker design, blue color schemes are the best, the superior eyebrows, and I like my attackers fast & strong. Sturdy is a wonderful bonus, too

XXD17
15th April 2011, 8:44 PM

depends on how you want to use them...if you want a sweeper, Sawk is definitely the better choice...it's really fast and hit really hard...if you want a tank then throh is better...it defenses are great and it can spam bulk-ups as well...

since it's timid, you want special attacks...anything like flamethrower, psychic, psyshock, and searing shot would be good...also victory star give more accuracy for thunder and focus blast too...I personally like searing shot, psyshock, focus blast, and thunder...

Ace_Charizard
15th April 2011, 11:03 PM
does anyone know if nintendo is coming out with a new pokemon mystery dungeon using the gen. 5 pokemon? ;006;

Dracoste
15th April 2011, 11:06 PM
does anyone know if nintendo is coming out with a new pokemon mystery dungeon using the gen. 5 pokemon? ;006;

There isn't any news about it currently, but I think(or rather hope) they will.
We just have to wait and see.

Venomrec
15th April 2011, 11:08 PM

Probably too soon to say. but it's likely gonna be for 3ds.

abraxas
15th April 2011, 11:19 PM
Throh or Sawk?
I've never been big on fighting types, with the exception of Breloom, and this entire generation of fighting types, but between Throh and Sawk, I'd say Swak. I did like the design, and it just looks good in blue. =P

Porygandrew
15th April 2011, 11:31 PM

I can only ever see "Bert & Ernie" when I see Sawk & Throh. Makes me think they should have been named: Bernie & Ebert.

Ememew
15th April 2011, 11:42 PM
Even Garbador's Dream World Art helps, if only a little bit, to make it looks more acceptable. I still don't like it much, but the Dream World art makes me no longer dislike it. Finally moved up to a "neutral" opinion, maybe slightly in the positives.

It's in-game sprite still bugs me, though.

Derp
16th April 2011, 1:44 AM
Even Garbador's Dream World Art helps, if only a little bit, to make it looks more acceptable. I still don't like it much, but the Dream World art makes me no longer dislike it. Finally moved up to a "neutral" opinion, maybe slightly in the positives.

It's in-game sprite still bugs me, though.

Even thought the dream world art work is better then the in game sprite I still think it just looks horrible.

AllxFiction
16th April 2011, 1:55 AM
I agree that they look like "Bert & Ernie". over all I'm not very impressed with the pokemon in this gen, except zorua i love that little guy

Silent Conversation
16th April 2011, 1:57 AM
I can only ever see "Bert & Ernie" when I see Sawk & Throh. Makes me think they should have been named: Bernie & Ebert.

Wow, I didn't think of that before but now that it's been brought up, I can clearly see that. Wow.

R_N
16th April 2011, 2:07 AM
Wow, I didn't think of that before but now that it's been brought up, I can clearly see that. Wow.

I really don't, though
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CNpZNOS_qpg/TJynHKB5a2I/AAAAAAAABLs/495E9s7Wb30/s1600/BertEnErnie.gif
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/a8/539Sawk.png/150px-539Sawk.pnghttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/74/538Throh.png/184px-538Throh.png

Is it because Throh has a unibrow & Sawk is tall?

abraxas
16th April 2011, 2:19 AM
Or
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2009/11/bigbird.jpg

looks like

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq244/Toru_Uchiha/Pokemon/zapdos.png
...Hmmmm.....

AllxFiction
16th April 2011, 2:26 AM
So....could u catch Big Bird?

Cobalt_Latios
16th April 2011, 5:53 AM
It helps a lot...being serious, it has a normal stat spread and since you are going against the elite four a second time, their pokes are around their 70's...now the movepool you have looks fine but keep in mind of a few things...since your hydreigon is serious, it won't OHKO cofagrigus with one crunch nor do I think it will take out jellicent either...froslass obviously will outspeed you but golurk and chandelure should fall...as for grimsley, sharpedo and liepard outspeeds it, scrafty resists it, bisharp resists it and koookodile will be able to take one hit and hit back with outrage so hydreigon isn't the best poke to use here...the drapion shouldn't be a problem if you have EQ...as for caitlin, it should have no problem against most of her poke except for metagross and bronzong...as for Marshal, it's just smart to not use it against any of his pokes, same goes for Alder, save druddigon and escavelier of course...

...You partially missed the point. Okay, so my Hydreigon is a suitable nature and the moveset sounds alright. Fact is, I'm probably not going to use for E4, I just want to have something around their level for future use. That's all. I have a certain number of other Pokemon I'm training, so this one will be done once it hits 70.

I hate them both equally. Just kidding. I don't hate them, but I'm not too fond of them, either. They aren't appealing to me and they've given me a hard time in the games. I remember fighting Marshal's Throh and Sawk. Worst. Elite Four. Battle. Ever. I never really liked Throh and Sawk before then, but battling Marshal's Throh and Sawk was the last straw. If I had to choose between the two, I'd say that I like Throh a bit more than I like Sawk.
Sturdy. I could have KOd Sawk with Acrobatics if it weren't for Sturdy. Damned Stone Edge...

Sawk forever
I love his sleeker design, blue color schemes are the best, the superior eyebrows, and I like my attackers fast & strong. Sturdy is a wonderful bonus, too
True, when you're the one using it. Otherwise... he's a pain.

/CL

XXD17
16th April 2011, 6:29 AM
...You partially missed the point. Okay, so my Hydreigon is a suitable nature and the moveset sounds alright. Fact is, I'm probably not going to use for E4, I just want to have something around their level for future use. That's all. I have a certain number of other Pokemon I'm training, so this one will be done once it hits 70.

/CL

I'm terribly sorry for not making myself clear. What I meant was that you are not using hydreigon "wrong" and it is to be expected that a hydreigon with a neutral nature and at the current level wouldn't be able to sweep the elite four...

Cobalt_Latios
16th April 2011, 7:01 AM
I'm terribly sorry for not making myself clear. What I meant was that you are not using hydreigon "wrong" and it is to be expected that a hydreigon with a neutral nature and at the current level wouldn't be able to sweep the elite four...
I guess I was under the impression that Hydreigon, though very difficult to beat, isn't really as powerful as it's usually thought of to be.

Oh well, it'll be useful in game. Gonna need to find another Deino with a better nature this time...

/CL

R_N
16th April 2011, 7:14 AM
Probably best to breed for a Deino so you can at least Dark Pulse on the thing.

Ugh, I could never bring myself to raise more than one Hydreigon. It just takes forever; I didn't even bother raising another to get the second Zweilous I just GTS'd for it.

Dracoste
16th April 2011, 8:39 AM
Probably best to breed for a Deino so you can at least Dark Pulse on the thing.

That's kinda what I did. I almost see everyone talking about how hard it is to train it. I'm so glad I got a Modest Deino with Dark Pulse from a friend of mine, so it already had a EXP points boost, and with a Lucky Egg the training went even easier.

BCVM22
16th April 2011, 8:44 AM
I almost see everyone talking about how hard it is to train it.

It is, even with the trade-EXP boost. Deino and Zweilous are both tremendously limited in their movesets and gain next to nothing via TM, and while the latter is better than the former, neither of them are terrific as battlers (attacking or defending) often making it hard to get them out there for a full round or two and actually earn the EXP themselves.

It's plenty worth it once it evolves and all of its stats magically become respectable and it gains any number of useful moves via TM, though.

Mark_Chaos
16th April 2011, 8:56 AM
It is, even with the trade-EXP boost. Deino and Zweilous are both tremendously limited in their movesets and gain next to nothing via TM, and while the latter is better than the former, neither of them are terrific as battlers (attacking or defending) often making it hard to get them out there for a full round or two and actually earn the EXP themselves.

It's plenty worth it once it evolves and all of its stats magically become respectable and it gains any number of useful moves via TM, though.

Well, I had no problem training it to a Hydreigon. Though I kept fighting Claydol in the Volcarona room along with it holding a Lucky Egg.

BCVM22
16th April 2011, 9:00 AM
Well, I had no problem training it to a Hydreigon.

Knowing its limitations and when to get it the heck out of dodge is key to making sure it doesn't faint and force you to use a Revive so it can get the Exp. from the battle. As is the case to at least some degree with any Pokémon you're trying to raise, I imagine.

Though I kept fighting Claydol in the Volcarona room along with it holding a Lucky Egg.

The difference being that I obtained one via trade at the outset and trained mine up as a team member over the course of the story, which meant no highest-level wild Pokémon until the very end.

Mark_Chaos
16th April 2011, 9:04 AM
The difference being that I obtained one via trade at the outset and trained mine up as a team member over the course of the story, which meant no highest-level wild Pokémon until the very end.

Oh, well I caught mine, and I was thinking about whether to train it or not before I fought the Elite 4. My thought, "**** it! It'll take too long even with the lucky egg. My pokemon are good enough."

BCVM22
16th April 2011, 9:10 AM
It certainly does take a while, doesn't it?

R_N
16th April 2011, 9:12 AM
Took like 3 days to get the little bugger up there, and that was using Nimbasa stadiums and Giant Chasm Audino

PS Still find it amusing that Zweilous is stat-wise comparable to Watchog

Mark_Chaos
16th April 2011, 9:15 AM

It does, especially before post-game. The highest level wild pokemon is somewhere between 42 to 45. Not to mention most of those are either pre-evolved pokemon or single stage pokemon.

In other news, this gen now introduced my new favorite Grass type, Lilligant.

Dr. Leggs
16th April 2011, 12:04 PM
Definitely Sawk over Throh, but I don't love either of them. I haven't raised a Deino yet but I plan on starting soon... Sounds like quite the struggle. x__x

CaptainCombusken
16th April 2011, 12:49 PM
I'd say Sawk.
I can't STAND defensive Pokemon ingame. Competitively, they're awesome, but ingame, I just want my battles to be over quickly. Sawk is fast and very attacking. Throh has lots of HP and is more defensive, although it still does have good attack.
Plus, Sawk gets Close Combat, and Throh gets Superpower. Why would you want to lower your attack. At least with Close Combat, if you're quick enough, you can usually knock out opponents before they take advantage of your lowered defence.

/pointless rant over.

PokemonOwn
16th April 2011, 12:58 PM
I'd say Sawk.
I can't STAND defensive Pokemon ingame. Competitively, they're awesome, but ingame, I just want my battles to be over quickly. Sawk is fast and very attacking. Throh has lots of HP and is more defensive, although it still does have good attack.
Plus, Sawk gets Close Combat, and Throh gets Superpower. Why would you want to lower your attack. At least with Close Combat, if you're quick enough, you can usually knock out opponents before they take advantage of your lowered defence.

/pointless rant over.

I agree. When I played my friend's Japanese Game, he said he was stuck on Lenora. I caught him a Sawk, and he loved it. He swept the entire Gym with it.

isshoni
16th April 2011, 3:30 PM

I didn't mind training my bred subway-Deino at all. I didn't even use Giant Chasm Audinos, only those of Route 14 iirc.

At first it was a pain of course when Deino couldn't do anything by itself, but then I took a deep breath and thought about how god damn hard level grinding was before we had Audino. Then I smiled and kept right on going. It took me only a couple of hours or something.

PokemonOwn
16th April 2011, 3:48 PM
I'd like to know people's opinions on Karrablast. Is he a good Pokemon? Personally, I think that his evolution is awesome. :P

Dracoste
16th April 2011, 3:57 PM
Remembar that song "Can't Stop (Catchin' 'Em All)"?
Well...there is a music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKykZ5zmqU&feature=channel_video_title)of it...

PokemonOwn
16th April 2011, 4:25 PM
Remembar that song "Can't Stop (Catchin' 'Em All)"?
Well...there is a music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKykZ5zmqU&feature=channel_video_title)of it...

"Miccino, is fuzzy and White!"
"Haxorus is dark and green!"

Wow. Goodness, that's scary.

Nevermind my previous post, what's better, Karrablast, or Shelmet. I still keep my opinion.

manifesto
16th April 2011, 4:31 PM
Karrablast, Escavalier is so awesome. No disrespect to Accelgor, though.

CaptainCombusken
16th April 2011, 4:42 PM
Probably Escavalier, because he only has one weakness. And his name derives from two French words, and I'm fluent in French, so I feel Serperior whenever I see etymology with French in is.

Grey Wind
16th April 2011, 4:45 PM
I like Escavalier. They took a boldore approach with him. ^ and don't you be pigniting a pun conversation...