PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Mangoes
22nd May 2011, 1:19 AM
That's what the last eight months have been. You'll have to forgive people if they're a wee bit tired of being diplomatic about things at this point.

Hmm, well, I only recently started posting and looking at these threads, so maybe the guy I first responded to was justified in lashing out if people say those things as often as you say. Its just a bit odd to see someone get so angry over a post that to me seemed harmless, so that's why I responded. Sorry if I offended anyone.

To not get too offtopic, I think Reshiram looks cooler than Zekrom. Now this post is about pokemon. :) :thumbsup:

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 1:37 AM
To not get too offtopic, I think Reshiram looks cooler than Zekrom. Now this post is about pokemon. :) :thumbsup:

I think the total opposite. Zekrom looks so cool, being just pure black and having electricity flowing around it and everything. Meanwhile, I don't really like white on a legendary because it makes them seem too bright, and therefore almost too happy.

Mangoes
22nd May 2011, 1:48 AM
I just find Zekrom's body too generic and boring, I guess. The flashes and his tail are cool and I like them a lot, but his arms, legs, and wings just don't do it for me. Reshiram looks a lot more unique and majestic in my opinion, hehe. :D

Cassiopeia
22nd May 2011, 1:54 AM
I just find Zekrom's body too generic and boring, I guess. The flashes and his tail are cool and I like them a lot, but his arms, legs, and wings just don't do it for me. Reshiram looks a lot more unique and majestic in my opinion, hehe. :D

Theres a difference between "cool" and "unique and majestic". I like Reshiram's design more, but I think Zekrom is cooler.

Riarra
22nd May 2011, 4:30 AM
Anyone else prefer Dewott and Servine over their evolutions? I really wish they looked more like their second evos.

I do- I don't have anything against Serperior and Samurott (their designs are cool, and I really like them) but I like the middle stages better, if only by a teeny margin. For instance, I like Fraxure, Zweilous, Tranquill, and several other middle-stagers better than their fully evolved forms. I don't know why their designs appeal to me more; maybe it's because they're rather overshadowed by their older siblings (so to speak) or something.

Also, I personally prefer Reshiram. Probably because it seems lighter and freer and more feminine, or maybe because it's a WYVERN. ;)

And if anyone wants to yell at me about that, my Quilava, Grovyle, Dewott, Vibrava, Lampent, and Dragonair are ready.

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 5:12 AM
And if anyone wants to yell at me about that, my Quilava, Grovyle, Dewott, Vibrava, Lampent, and Dragonair are ready.

I agree that Quilava, Grovyle and Dewott have better designs than their evolutions. However, I do not think that Vibrava, Lampent and Dragonair look better than their evolutions.

CaptainBrain
22nd May 2011, 5:51 AM
I can see the argument for Dragonair looking better than Dragonite. I've always thought that it was a stretch for Dragonair to suddenly gain wings, legs, arms, and change color upon evolution. Maybe it's based on something that I'm not completely familiar with.

I've always liked Sceptile better than Grovyle and Quilava better than Typholosion. I'm not very fond of the Cyndaquil line as a whole, though. Treecko line is one of my favorite starters.

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 6:40 AM
I can see the argument for Dragonair looking better than Dragonite. I've always thought that it was a stretch for Dragonair to suddenly gain wings, legs, arms, and change color upon evolution. Maybe it's based on something that I'm not completely familiar with.

I'm not talking about the change during evolution, because if we start talking about what is unrealistic in Pokemon, we'll start creating a list that will never end. I'm talking about the actual designs of each Pokemon. A big, orange, majestic Pokemon with wings is a much better design than just a giant blue snake IMO.

ArchedThunder
22nd May 2011, 7:52 AM
I'm not talking about the change during evolution, because if we start talking about what is unrealistic in Pokemon, we'll start creating a list that will never end. I'm talking about the actual designs of each Pokemon. A big, orange, majestic Pokemon with wings is a much better design than just a giant blue snake IMO.

Majestic? Lol wut?

R_N
22nd May 2011, 8:34 AM

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/8b/149Dragonite.png

A number of words come to mind when I see a Dragonite.
Majestic is not one of them

Mark_Chaos
22nd May 2011, 8:53 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/8b/149Dragonite.png

A number of words come to mind when I see a Dragonite.
Majestic is not one of them

HEY! Dragonite is in shape... It's just in a round shape...

PsychicPsycho
22nd May 2011, 10:17 AM
On the topic of middle stages that look better then their final stages, I can honestly say that (without looking through the whole pokedex) I can't think of any mid-stagers I like more. All the ones mentioned so far look fine, though, just not as good as their elders (especially lampent).

Edit: Oh, wait. I just looked at my sig and remembered I like roselia way more then roserade. Roselia looks like a graceful fighter (at least in D/P), while roserade looks like it's going to hand you some flowers.

And I like zekrom more because it looks dark and evil and tough (especially with the red eyes). Reshiram (I keep wanting to say regishiram) doesn't look horrible, though, just not as cool. One thing about reshiram I think is weird is it's wings; it doesn't look like it's wings would support it's body enough to fly.

HEY! Dragonite is in shape... It's just in a round shape...Dragonite says: "This is.... an OUTRAGE". Haw

ViperQueen
22nd May 2011, 10:43 AM
Almost everyone I encountered on the Random Match has wither a politoad or a ninetails *sighs*

and teams lol

Is there a way to cancel a battle before choosing your pokemon?

The Eleventh
22nd May 2011, 12:45 PM
I do- I don't have anything against Serperior and Samurott (their designs are cool, and I really like them) but I like the middle stages better, if only by a teeny margin. For instance, I like Fraxure, Zweilous, Tranquill, and several other middle-stagers better than their fully evolved forms. I don't know why their designs appeal to me more; maybe it's because they're rather overshadowed by their older siblings (so to speak) or something.

Also, I personally prefer Reshiram. Probably because it seems lighter and freer and more feminine, or maybe because it's a WYVERN. ;)

I prefer Serperior and Samurott over Servine and Dewott. I don't like either evolutions that much. I think Zekrom looks much better than Reshiram and his male area.

I love Grovyle, so much more than Sceptile. But Vibrava and Dragonair? Their evolutions are much cooler, no?

Valoo.
22nd May 2011, 1:06 PM
I agree that Quilava, Grovyle and Dewott have better designs than their evolutions. However, I do not think that Vibrava, Lampent and Dragonair look better than their evolutions.
Oh you did not just go there :P

I've always liked Sceptile better than Grovyle
You are awesome.

Anyway, I like most evolutions better than the pre evos. Dewoot is awesome, but I prefer Samurott.

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 5:48 PM
Okay, so maybe a Dragonite just standing there isn't very majestic :p I was mostly referring to how you would look to the sky and just see this big, orange Pokemon flying through the air. All Dragonair would do is... slither around your feet.

MetalFlygon08
22nd May 2011, 6:05 PM
Almost everyone I encountered on the Random Match has wither a politoad or a ninetails *sighs*

and teams lol

Is there a way to cancel a battle before choosing your pokemon?

Bring Pokemon that can counter, like a good Grass type with Hidden Power Fire, to hurt the Sun User's Chlorophylers, Somthing with Thunder, Solarbeam, and Earthquake to take advantage of their weather.

jwla
22nd May 2011, 6:10 PM
There are certain mid-stage designs I enjoy better than their final forms. Lampent is one, Dragonair is another. A third, and this people might find...controversial...is Haunter. So much better looking than Gengar.

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 6:13 PM
I find Haunter and Gengar to look so different that it's kind of difficult to compare the two. If I had to, I would probably also choose Haunter's design as it's more creative and looks more unique than Gengar.

R_N
22nd May 2011, 7:20 PM
Okay, so maybe a Dragonite just standing there isn't very majestic :p I was mostly referring to how you would look to the sky and just see this big, orange Pokemon flying through the air. All Dragonair would do is... slither around your feet.

Dragonair can also fly around, you know

And I've seen Dragonite fly around, it basically looks like this
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c1/Spr_3r_149.png

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 7:23 PM
Dragonair can also fly around, you know

Yes, but a big, flying dragon with wings looks a lot nicer than just this long snake somehow flying around.

Hey, it's just an opinion. I've seen people who say that a lot worse is majestic or cute.

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd May 2011, 7:49 PM
Nintendo Dream published a poll showing the top 30 Pokemon among Japanese fans...

1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reshiram
4. Reuniclus
5.Hydreigon
6. Serperior was sixth.
7. Snivy was seventh.
8 and 9. Oshawott and Joltik (tie)
10. Lilligant
11. Zekrom
12. Galvantula
13. Pansage
14. Scollipede
15. Volcarona
16. Emolga
17 and 18. Zoroark and Litwick (tie)
19 and 20. Victini and Minccino (tie)
21 and 22. Haxorus and Bisharp (tie)
23. Tympole
24. Samurott
25. Audino
26. Zoroa
27. Stunfisk
28. Mienshao
29. Cofagrigus
30. Vanilluxe

R_N
22nd May 2011, 8:26 PM
Nintendo Dream published a poll showing the top 30 Pokemon among Japanese fans...

1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reshiram
4. Reuniclus
HECK YEAH REUNICLUS

5.Hydreigon
6. Serperior was sixth.
7. Snivy was seventh.

INteresting that Serperior & Snivy are so close together. Poor Servine, though.

10. Lilligant
11. Zekrom
Interesting that Zekrom is far lower than Reshiram; it's the other way around in the US. Even Lilligant is higher!

23. Tympole
24. Samurott
25. Audino
H-huh. Kind of an odd assortment.

27. Stunfisk

30. Vanilluxe
HAHAHAHA YES
YESSSSSSS

Blazios
22nd May 2011, 8:30 PM
Whimsicott? Pansage? I can somewhat understand Pamsage, but Whimsicott?

Also, needs more Sigilyph.

Cassiopeia
22nd May 2011, 8:31 PM
27. Stunfisk
28. Mienshao
29. Cofagrigus
30. Vanilluxe
*rages about how Mienshao is number 28*
Yay for stunfisk!!! DERP

R_N
22nd May 2011, 8:42 PM

Also, needs more Sigilyph.

What's not to get?
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/a2/547Whimsicott.png/166px-547Whimsicott.png
It's a cute, fluffy, round cotton-sheep with a useful ability

The Eleventh
22nd May 2011, 8:44 PM
May I introduce you to Prankster? And Whimsicott's cute factor?

Haha! Stunfisk at 27! Trollin' Derpfisk FTW!

Mangoes
22nd May 2011, 9:09 PM

omg whimsicott is my fav pokemon ever. It's really cute and has a really useful ability.

TsukiMirage
22nd May 2011, 9:14 PM
Whimsicott making number two was awesome, but I'm shocked that Lilligant and Galvantula weren't higher.

R_N
22nd May 2011, 9:15 PM
Huh, just noticed that its Cinccino
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/9/94/573Cinccino.png/250px-573Cinccino.png
I thought for sure Minccino would be more popular

Korobooshi Kojiro
22nd May 2011, 9:27 PM
No, I was wrong...it is Minccino.

Got the names mixed up.

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 9:27 PM

1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reshiram
4. Reuniclus
5.Hydreigon
6. Serperior was sixth.
7. Snivy was seventh.
10. Lilligant
11. Zekrom
12. Galvantula
13. Pansage
14. Scollipede
15. Volcarona
16. Emolga
17 and 18. Zoroark and Litwick (tie)
19 and 20. Victini and Cinccino (tie)
21 and 22. Haxorus and Bisharp (tie)
23. Tympole
24. Samurott
25. Audino
26. Zoroa
27. Stunfisk
28. Mienshao
29. Cofagrigus
30. Vanilluxe

The ones that I'm especially glad made it are in bold. Chandelure is a frickin' beast, and its design is really cool too, so it definitely deserves the #1 spot. Reuniclus is an amazing psychic type, so glad it's up there too. Lilligant is also awesome, and honestly I'm actually disappointed that it's so much lower than Whimsicott. Zoroark is just a really cool Pokemon, and I absolutely love how Stunfisk is on this. As for Vanilluxe, I'm very glad it made it, mostly because I didn't expect it to. A lot of people don't like Vanilluxe, but having used it on my Black team, I can say that it really is amazing.

manifesto
22nd May 2011, 10:23 PM
It's a cute, fluffy, round cotton-sheep with a useful ability

Well, if it's a prankster it might be more of a Satyr or a Pan, which is pretty sheep-like anyway.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c_za5USOcsU/TL9GjVb3svI/AAAAAAAADYs/f-f98UGgQbE/s1600/Satyr.jpg

But anyway, enough being nitpicky, I wish Golurk were up there. It's my favorite one because it's just a giant flying robot. But then again, it's not as if what my favorite is matters in a list like this.

Mario with Lasers
22nd May 2011, 10:53 PM
Why is Pansage in that list

Why is it higher than Litwick

why

Silent Conversation
22nd May 2011, 11:39 PM
Why is Pansage in that list

Why is it higher than Litwick

why

Chandelure is #1, so I'm not really complaining about how low Litwick is. But I doubt Pansage would be on this list if it wasn't one of the Pokemon you could automatically get from the Dreamyard AND if it wasn't a main Pokemon in the anime.

LexSuicune
23rd May 2011, 1:22 AM
Volcarona should be number one.

All I'm gonna say.

Silent Conversation
23rd May 2011, 1:26 AM
Volcarona should be number one.

All I'm gonna say.

I don't think it should be #1, but I am surprised at how low it is. I think it should have at least brushed the Top 10 (especially over Joltik)

JD
23rd May 2011, 3:21 AM
I think the reason Pansage might be so popular is because Cilan uses one and we all know how popular he is... anyway I'm pretty disappointed with Beartic. It has a cool design but it has really mediocre stats compared to other Ice type like Mamoswine or Weavile I hope it gets an evolution in gen VI. Hmm I'm surprised neither Scrafty or Scraggy are on that list.

Korobooshi Kojiro
23rd May 2011, 3:48 AM
Yeah, definitely think that Cilan's main character status in the show boosted him and Pansage up over their brothers. Being voiced by Light helps, too.

RedMage23
23rd May 2011, 4:17 AM
I don't watch the anime and Pansage is my favorite because his evolution is the only one that had any thought put into it.

Pokemon Trainer Blue
23rd May 2011, 4:46 AM
Either way, the Monkeys are simply rubbish dex-fillers with very mediocre stats and move pools.

Silent Conversation
23rd May 2011, 5:42 AM
I don't like the monkeys, but I wouldn't call them "rubbish dex-fillers". You have to remember, this game focused on appealing to new players a lot more than the previous games did. Thus, the game wanted to teach the new players about type triangles, so they created a very evenly matched type triangle, and then put it into practice by creating a type triangle with your starter, your monkey and the Striation monkey.

R_N
23rd May 2011, 5:50 AM
Either way, the Monkeys are simply rubbish dex-fillers with very mediocre stats and move pools.

I wouldn't call their evolved forms' stats that mediocre
98/98 offenses are slightly above average and 101 speed is pretty great

And they actually have nice move pools, too.

MegaMew2
23rd May 2011, 5:52 AM
I wouldn't call their evolved forms' stats that mediocre
98/98 offenses are slightly above average and 101 speed is pretty great

And they actually have nice move pools, too.

I agree. Simisear is a major party member of mine...
I wouldn't swap it out in favor of something better. :/

manifesto
23rd May 2011, 6:02 AM
I never used my monkey since I couldn't get pansage. Simipour was too off-putting for me to use.

abraxas
23rd May 2011, 6:30 AM
I will say, while I did find the other two monkeys not to my liking, Pansage ended up being a vital member on my original play through. I enjoyed using it enough so that I would be up for using it again, should the need arise.

KickAsh
24th May 2011, 12:23 AM
I've only played one play-through of Black, but I didn't use my monkey. It was a Panpour, and I didn't use it because I like Jellicent better.
I really don't like the monkeys, but they're alright. I just don't really like what Simipour and Simisear are doing with their arms and hands.

Riarra
24th May 2011, 3:20 AM
Suicune's rain, neither Dewott, Mandibuzz, nor Druddigon is on that list! What is wrong with the Japanese? I hate surveys like this, they make me feel like my favorites are unpopular. :(

Ah, well, it was only 30 Pokemon out of over 150...

LexSuicune
24th May 2011, 7:31 AM
Mandibuzz is really not a popular Pokemon though, most of the time I don't remember it's in the Unova dex.

PsychicPsycho
24th May 2011, 8:42 AM
There are certain mid-stage designs I enjoy better than their final forms. Lampent is one, Dragonair is another. A third, and this people might find...controversial...is Haunter. So much better looking than Gengar.Why do you find it controversial that haunter looks better then gengar? I do like gengar better, but haunter does look more evil with the red/blue aura surrounding its hands.

Either way, the Monkeys are simply rubbish dex-fillers with very mediocre stats and move pools.Yeah, that's kind of how I think of them as well. I mean, the one I received helped with the first gym, although I hated to use it because I don't like the look of any of them. They kind of just seem like they were put there to deal with that first gym.

Although I guess it was very helpful to me in that I has able to trade it for a zorua, with I used ended up using in my team.

Mandibuzz is really not a popular Pokemon though, most of the time I don't remember it's in the Unova dex.
Yeah, I don't care for it at all. The premise that its supposed to be braviary's counterpart seem totally ridiculous to me.

XXD17
24th May 2011, 11:27 AM

probably because no ingame character ever uses it or vullaby...

Geekachu
24th May 2011, 9:51 PM
probably because no ingame character ever uses it or vullaby...

It was because of that completing the Unova Dex in White was such a €$#%*=?!€. I actually really like Vullaby and Mandibuzz. I don't understand people who say 'Mandibuzz sucks sooo much and Braviary pwns he's the best thing evarrr', only because Braviary's stats are a bit more offensive, as well as his ability to have Sheer Force. I also find Vullaby's ans Mandibuzz's sprites to not do them any justice, their Sugi artwork is so brilliant with expression and detail, they real encapsulate mad barbarics. They're so under appreciated.

trfan
24th May 2011, 9:57 PM
Anyone else think the 'Musketeer' trio are the lamest excuse for Legendary Pokemon the series has ever given us? The designs were lazy as hell and move set wise they were nothing special at all...

But that's just me being a negative nilly, I actually really loved this generation, so I don't have much to complain about :)

Witchan
24th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone else think the 'Musketeer' trio are the lamest excuse for Legendary Pokemon the series has ever given us? The designs were lazy as hell and move set wise they were nothing special at all...

But that's just me being a negative nilly, I actually really loved this generation, so I don't have much to complain about :)

No, the Musketeer trio aren't that bad. The Regi trio are more worse than any other trio next to the lake guardian trio.

Geekachu
24th May 2011, 10:28 PM
Although I liked how the Regi trio are some of the only legendaries that requires a little challenge to get them. The Lake Trio were meh, as well as the Musketeer Trio, they just seemed so insignificant and their story was never explored a lot.

KickAsh
24th May 2011, 10:33 PM
I like the Musketeer Trio. A lot.

PsychicPsycho
24th May 2011, 10:33 PM
Although I liked how the Regi trio are some of the only legendaries that requires a little challenge to get them. The Lake Trio were meh, as well as the Musketeer Trio, they just seemed so insignificant and their story was never explored a lot.
I thought the lake trio were ok (psychics :)), although I didn't like that you had to catch them before getting the national dex. The regi trio look ok, but their types aren't ones that I use so much. The 'musketeer' trio are kind of meh to me; cobalion and terrakion look ok, virizion looks girly (but not terrible) and keldeo just looks dumb to me. I don't know about the movesets though; I haven't caught them yet.

Geekachu
24th May 2011, 10:43 PM
I just didn't really like Cobalion's design much, how there were like these random orange riffs that were crapped on his legs. He reminds me of a My Little Pony that a little kid has stuck a load of random paper and glitter on to soup it up.

I'm not making too many judgments on the event legendaries though until their official artwork is released and more info regarding is released. Genesect could be awesome, and Melotta could be interesting.

KickAsh
24th May 2011, 10:47 PM
The 'musketeer' trio are kind of meh to me; cobalion and terrakion look ok, virizion looks girly (but not terrible) and keldeo just looks dumb to me. I don't know about the movesets though; I haven't caught them yet.

Sigh. Why doesn't anyone like those guys?
I like them all, especially Keldeo, if you're counting it as part of the "trio".
My favorite is probably Terrakion, but I like the others, too. And I know this was brought up a few pages ago, but I still fail to see why Virizion is "girly", or why that's even a bad thing.

Anyway, their movepools: Cobalion does well competitively, but his movepool is limited, and he has to rely on Hidden Power for coverage. Terrakion has a much more diverse movepool, and probably fares the best of the four--it gets Bulk Up, Earthquake and Stone Edge. Virizion has to rely on Hidden Power, and is also kind of limited. Keldeo is reliant on Hidden Power, also, but he also gets a lot of Water type moves as a result of his typing, and he gets Secret Sword/Sword of Mystery.

But regardless of their somewhat limited movepools, these guys do really well competitively.

Mangoes
24th May 2011, 10:51 PM
I think the musketeer trio are the least-good legendary triple in all the games. I like how all the other triples have some common theme, something from the earth, birds, dogs, emotions (I think) but the musketeers just seem to be random and don't have that much in common besides them all being fighting types. I don't really dislike them, I just don't like them as much as the other triples.

R_N
24th May 2011, 10:53 PM
I think the musketeer trio are the least-good legendary triple in all the games. I like how all the other triples have some common theme, something from the earth, birds, dogs, emotions (I think) but the musketeers just seem to be random and don't have that much in common besides them all being fighting types. I don't really dislike them, I just don't like them as much as the other triples.

They're quadrupedal fighting Pokemon that sword fight with horns and their hooves double as fashionable footwear

Mister_SGG
24th May 2011, 10:54 PM
They're quadrupedal fighting Pokemon that sword fight with horns and their hooves double as fashionable footwear

Mangoes, your argument is rendered invalid.

Mangoes
24th May 2011, 10:57 PM
Mangoes, your argument is rendered invalid.

-.- this makes me sad. I do so hate my arguments to be invalid because of hoof footwear.

R_N
24th May 2011, 10:58 PM
-.- this makes me sad. I do so hate my arguments to be invalid because of hoof footwear.

It's not your fault, no one can stand against metal booties
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/65/638Cobalion.png/129px-638Cobalion.png

Mister_SGG
24th May 2011, 11:00 PM
Or... these.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/ad/639Terrakion.png/180px-639Terrakion.png

R_N
24th May 2011, 11:02 PM
Or... these.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/ad/639Terrakion.png/180px-639Terrakion.png

Terrakion tries hard with his roman sandalboots but I think they both need to listen to Virizion's fashion tips a bit more
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/79/640Virizion.png/131px-640Virizion.png

Mister_SGG
24th May 2011, 11:05 PM
Virizion is Paris Hilton.

Cobalion is Chuck Norris.

Terrakion is... a Chuck Norris wannabe.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 12:16 AM
If Terrakion really is a Chuck Norris wannabe, then it isn't a very good one.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 12:19 AM
If Terrakion really is a Chuck Norris wannabe, then it isn't a very good one.

I don't think you can make a Chuck Norris Pokemon successfully.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 12:22 AM
Well, they made a character who was kind of similar to Chuck Norris (Chuck, obviously) so I don't think they need to push themselves to make a Pokemon version. We've gotten enough Chuck Norris in the series.

manifesto
25th May 2011, 1:21 AM
One can never have enough Chuck Norris.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 1:22 AM
After hearing some of the Chuck Norris jokes my friends manage to come up with, I disagree - Chuck Norris, if mistreated, can get very tiring.

Mister_SGG
25th May 2011, 1:24 AM
After hearing some of the Chuck Norris jokes my friends manage to come up with, I disagree - Chuck Norris, if mistreated, can get very tiring.

There are a lot of bad Chuck Norris jokes out there, that's true. But... we're getting off-topic.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 1:25 AM
Very true. So, new topic:

What do people think of the rock types this gen? Personally, I used to really dislike the rock type, but after this gen I'm starting to warm up to the type. We've gotten Gigalith, Crustle, Carracosta and Archeops, which are four great Pokemon (going from personal experience on the last one).

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 1:27 AM
I really like Archeops. It's dinosaur basis is wonderful, and it can learn great moves.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 1:28 AM
Plus, if you manage to avoid its annoying ability, it has absolutely phenomenal stats. 140 base attack, and then 112 special attack for those people who prefer special moves.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 1:29 AM
What is Archeops' ability?

Mister_SGG
25th May 2011, 1:32 AM
Rock-types didn't get a good start. We had Onix, Golem, Omastar... but we had good ones, too. Aerodactyl, Rhydon, & Kabutops were great. 2nd Gen didn't give us much, either... Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Magcargo, Corsola. But, we got TTar! 3rd Gen... I won't go there. The only real good Rock-type we got in 4th Gen was Rhyperior. Then, in 5th Gen, we got all kinds of good ones:

-Gigalith is good, I guess.
-Archeops is amazing. It is one of the non-legendary Pokemon with a really high bst.
-I've never used Carracosta, but he sounds good, and he has Solid Rock!
-Same deal as with Carracosta, but he also sounds pretty good.
-Terrakion is okay, but he's not as good as Cobalion imo.

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 1:38 AM
What is Archeops' ability?

Defeatist. It cuts Archeops's attack and special attack stat in half if its HP goes below 50%.

EDIT: Awesome, rank up!

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 1:40 AM
Defeatist. It cuts Archeops's attack and special attack stat in half if its HP goes below 50%.

What's the point of that ability if it has no perks?

GaZsTiC
25th May 2011, 1:43 AM

Good question.

R_N
25th May 2011, 1:51 AM
Rock-types didn't get a good start. We had Onix, Golem, Omastar... but we had good ones, too. Aerodactyl, Rhydon, & Kabutops were great. 2nd Gen didn't give us much, either... Sudowoodo, Shuckle, Magcargo, Corsola. But, we got TTar! 3rd Gen... I won't go there. The only real good Rock-type we got in 4th Gen was Rhyperior. Then, in 5th Gen, we got all kinds of good ones:

-Gigalith is good, I guess.
-Archeops is amazing. It is one of the non-legendary Pokemon with a really high bst.
-I've never used Carracosta, but he sounds good, and he has Solid Rock!
-Same deal as with Carracosta, but he also sounds pretty good.
-Terrakion is okay, but he's not as good as Cobalion imo.
And now Omastar has Shell Break and is great

Gen 3 had some okay Rock types. Aggron was certainly useable, Cradily acts as a fairly good staller, I think Armaldo was at least "okay" (Swift Swim makes him a lot better), and Relicanth...has stuff!
I liked Lunatone & Solrock, but I guess they weren't much special.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 1:53 AM
What do you guys think of Haxorus? I really like it.

EDIT: Rank up finally!!

Mister_SGG
25th May 2011, 1:56 AM

What is the point of Truant?

RegiGuy
25th May 2011, 1:58 AM
There's no point in Traunt. However, Durant has it as a hidden Ability and it also knows Entrainment. So that could be something interesting to see in the future. Also, I believe Nintendo made Traunt as an ability so that Slaking wouldn't be overwhelming.

Mister_SGG
25th May 2011, 1:59 AM
There's no point in Traunt.

I'm aware of that.

RegiGuy
25th May 2011, 2:00 AM
Well, yes but did you read the rest of my description.

Mister_SGG
25th May 2011, 2:02 AM
Well, yes but did you read the rest of my description.

Yes, I did. And it's rather obvious what the purpose of abilities like Slow Start and Defeatist are: it's to weaken really powerful Pokemon. ;486;

RegiGuy
25th May 2011, 2:14 AM
I don't really understand Garchomp's shiny form at all. It's just a darker shade of what it really is colored.

Aggrotek
25th May 2011, 2:35 AM
I don't really understand Garchomp's shiny form at all. It's just a darker shade of what it really is colored.

^This. I hate shinies that are just a different shade of their normal color.

XXD17
25th May 2011, 2:44 AM
Very true. So, new topic:

What do people think of the rock types this gen? Personally, I used to really dislike the rock type, but after this gen I'm starting to warm up to the type. We've gotten Gigalith, Crustle, Carracosta and Archeops, which are four great Pokemon (going from personal experience on the last one).

Gigalith is crazy good...huge attack, huge defenses and sturdy assure that a move gets in (unless of course it's fake out mienshao)

Crustle is the bomb as well...one shell smash and it can start destroying...it's actually not that slow either

Carracosta is much slower than crustle and can't properly use shell smash because of that...well that's how it worked out for me and I had a neutral nature for speed on both...and the same EV's

Archeops is AWESOME...favorite rock type so far...fast and hits really hard

Terrakion is great too but I have to scarf mine since it's brave...

Silent Conversation
25th May 2011, 4:41 AM

To give you a side effect of using such a seemingly powerful Pokemon.

Snowyarticuno, I agree that Gen 3's rock types weren't bad (especially compared to the mediocre to bad rock types in other generations) but I still prefer Gen 5's.

Paradoxe
25th May 2011, 5:54 AM
To give you a side effect of using such a seemingly powerful Pokemon.

Skill Swap, anyone?

I really don't "respect" Rock-types, I guess. They're only good for taking out Fire and Ice-types. They just have more weaknesses than strengths. Now, Fire and Ghost-types are where it's at, IMO.

MetalFlygon08
25th May 2011, 6:09 AM
Rock, on paper, (c wut i did thar) is an offensive type with all the other types it can hit for SE or neutral damage. Rock Pokemon, however, are built defensively, which doesn't bode well when dual typed.

Green Blockhead
25th May 2011, 11:20 AM
The best typing is Dark Ghost, meaning that they have no weaknesses.

Sableeye and Spritomb FTW!!!

Valoo.
25th May 2011, 5:27 PM
The best typing is Dark Ghost, meaning that they have no weaknesses.

...But also have very few resistances.

Geekachu
25th May 2011, 6:27 PM
I feel sorry for Carracosta, it's base stats are 495 whilst Archeops' are 567 (I think), or is that why Archeops' ability is so rubbish? Anyway, I've been training an Archeops recently and I love the thing. I like how they changed the effects of Sturdy, it gives Gigalith a chance in battle when hit with a Hydro Pump.

There were some quite good aspects, but I don't think Rock Type was the best type this gen.

gatesy0093
25th May 2011, 8:17 PM
such a douche i am. just been breeding some starters as i traded some away in the GTS. bought my chandelure with me thinking it had flame body. after wondering why the eggs were taking AAGGGEEESSS.. i finally check and does it have flame body, nope. its got flash fire.

silly me xD

PokemonOwn
25th May 2011, 8:22 PM
Sturdy is made redundant by one of the most common Water Type moves ever.

Scald.

R_N
25th May 2011, 8:28 PM
Sturdy is made redundant by one of the most common Water Type moves ever.

Scald.

Scald probably won't OHKO anyway (well, maybe), so it still takes two turns
and the burn chance, while high, isn't guaranteed

PokemonOwn
25th May 2011, 8:59 PM
Scald probably won't OHKO anyway (well, maybe), so it still takes two turns
and the burn chance, while high, isn't guaranteed

DrizzleToad + Gorebyss + Scald VS Forretress.

:P

Levanny, or Scolipede?

Geekachu
25th May 2011, 9:07 PM
I like Leavanny (just cause Sewaddle's so darn cute :3) but I dunno, Leavanny has a load too many weaknesses. That being said, I'm not a competetive battler but I don't think Scolipede is anything special, although I love its design.

R_N
25th May 2011, 9:09 PM
DrizzleToad + Gorebyss + Scald VS Forretress.

:P

So Sturdy activates and we continue to have a two-turn deal unless it does indeed burn

Witchan
25th May 2011, 9:54 PM
So Sturdy activates and we continue to have a two-turn deal unless it does indeed burn

The only thing that annoys me with Sturdy as if Scald or any powerful Fire-type move tends to OHKO the Sturdy but also got a burn status and then faint.

Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Green Blockhead
25th May 2011, 9:55 PM
...But also have very few resistances.

Well at least no one is going to switch in just to defeat one Pokemon.

XXD17
25th May 2011, 9:56 PM
Levanny, or Scolipede?

I like both...both are very fast and can hit pretty hard...scolipede is better probably due to its better movepool...

PokemonOwn
25th May 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm currently EVing a Scolipede, and it's Speed is awesome.

Who was disappointed with Alomomola? I caught a Bold one on my first try.

Bold = -Attack, +Defence. Gonna EV it.

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 10:05 PM
Levanny, or Scolipede?

Scolipede. It has a cooler design and can utilize Earthquake, which most Pokemon are weak too.

Blazios
25th May 2011, 10:05 PM

Being able to Toxic Stall Scizor and Ferrothorn thanks to Soak and Alomomola's bulk is incredibly satisfying.

Green Blockhead
25th May 2011, 10:07 PM
Scolipede. It has a cooler design and can utilize Earthquake, which most Pokemon are weak too.

Ninja'd! I was gonna correct your spelling mistake!

XXD17
25th May 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm currently EVing a Scolipede, and it's Speed is awesome.

Alomomola is crazy good...it can stall just about all on the physical side with wish, protect, toxic and soak...I prefer aqua jet over soak on mine though...really annoying poke but watch out for special moves...

KickAsh
25th May 2011, 11:52 PM
Levanny, or Scolipede?

Scolipede is a beast. I'm using it on my White team right now, and it's great. It does well in-game, which is nifty, but it's also okay competitively. I love it's design, too. It's definitely superior to Leavanny, imo.

Man, this made me realize how much I really do love Scolipede. :545:

Typhlosionvsworld
25th May 2011, 11:54 PM
What do you guys think of the musketeers?

RegiGuy
25th May 2011, 11:55 PM
Terrakion is the best, I believe, then Cobalion because of it's typing, then Virizion because of it's typing.

Icay4321
26th May 2011, 12:52 AM
I really enjoy the musketeers. I like their designs (except for Virizion's almost heels), and I think finding them was pretty fun.

Typhlosionvsworld
26th May 2011, 12:55 AM
Personally, I like Virizion best.

King Lawliet
26th May 2011, 12:59 AM
What do you guys think of the musketeers?
Design wise my favourite in order is Virizion, Terrakion, Keldeo while Cobalion's design is just horrendous.

As for use in battle, I haven't really haven't the chance to use them all yet

But overall I enjoyed the whole musketeer theme and they would easily be my most favourite trio out of all the trios in all generations

Silent Conversation
26th May 2011, 1:12 AM
Personally, I like Virizion best.

I agree. Most people hate Virizion, but I'm one of the few who think it looks really elegant.

Typhlosionvsworld
26th May 2011, 1:14 AM
I agree. Most people hate Virizion, but I'm one of the few who think it looks really elegant.

It has great special defense, which is uncommon amongst grass and fighting types.

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 2:10 AM
Is it just me? Or did everybody laugh histerically when they first heard Dialga's cry?

Silent Conversation
26th May 2011, 2:18 AM
Is it just me? Or did everybody laugh histerically when they first heard Dialga's cry?

I don't remember what Dialga's cry sounds like, all I remember is not laughing.

BCVM22
26th May 2011, 2:24 AM
Or did everybody laugh histerically when they first heard Dialga's cry?

Can't say that I did.

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 2:52 AM
Hmm... Just wondering because when I first heard it, it reminded me of a sick dying horse.

BCVM22
26th May 2011, 3:01 AM
What precisely does a sick, dying horse sound like?

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 3:02 AM
Listen to Diagla's cry.

BCVM22
26th May 2011, 3:07 AM
I have. Can't say my first thought was "sick, dying horse".

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 3:13 AM
Well, that's what it sounded like to me and I thought it was hilarious. Than, I heard Palkia's cry which was amazing compared to Dialga's cry. Then I said to myself, "I think Nintendo wanted to have a laugh, so they made Dialga's cry."

Cassiopeia
26th May 2011, 3:33 AM
Well, that's what it sounded like to me and I thought it was hilarious. Than, I heard Palkia's cry which was amazing compared to Dialga's cry. Then I said to myself, "I think Nintendo wanted to have a laugh, so they made Dialga's cry."
Dialga sounds like a horse
Palkia's cry is epic. End of story.

Skull-Kid
26th May 2011, 3:36 AM
Hmm... Just wondering because when I first heard it, it reminded me of a sick dying horse.

I thought I was the only one.

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 3:53 AM
No way... someone thinks the same way as I do. But seriously, Palkia's cry is epic and Dialga's cry doesn't suit the way it looks.

manifesto
26th May 2011, 5:49 AM
What does Dialga have to do with anything? I'm quite confused.

But on the topic of funny cries, Kricketune has the most derpy cry ever.

Penguinsftw
26th May 2011, 6:41 AM
Looked up Dialgas cry
Kinda does sound like a horse lol

RedMage23
26th May 2011, 3:48 PM
I loved Dialga's cry... it sounds cool to me :/

Valoo.
26th May 2011, 6:30 PM
How do you know what a sick dying horse sounds like?

Hejiru
26th May 2011, 6:33 PM

I had that exact same thought when I first heard it. O_O

Grei
26th May 2011, 8:24 PM
So, to change from this ridiculous topic...

Are there any Pokemon that really surprised you when you used them? Good or bad?

I was surprised by my Reuniclus because it was so bad, until I realized that her nature hindered Sp. Atk, and didn't help it.

Otherwise, Cinccino, Leavanny, Druddigon, and Jellicent surprised me. They were all better than I expected. Cinccino and Leavanny especially.

BCVM22
26th May 2011, 8:25 PM
I was surprised by how fast and useful Sigilyph is and by how much of a tank Throh is.

King Lawliet
26th May 2011, 8:29 PM
Agreed, they were always a pain for me to face with my team

The Eleventh
26th May 2011, 8:34 PM
I thought Cinccino would be the crappy beginning-of-game Normal-type, but I was wrong. Also, I'm amazed at the usefulness of Sawk and Throh, both of whom originally seemed boring and just a novelty duo, like the monkeys. I also never thought Excadrill would be as popular and powerful as it now is.

Witchan
26th May 2011, 8:49 PM
I thought Cinccino would be an ordinary pokemon like Raticate, Furret, and other normal-types, but with Technician, it kicks arse.

Valoo.
26th May 2011, 9:29 PM
I thought Cinccino would be the crappy beginning-of-game Normal-type, but I was wrong.
Yeah, me too.

I was also surprised by Leavanny and Munna. For the short time I used Munna, it was really powerful.

KickAsh
26th May 2011, 10:40 PM
Stoutland, despite its awful movepool. I was able to use it and I found it to do really well. It dominated everyone not named Marshall.

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 10:47 PM
Leavanny was actually extremely helpful to me in Black.

Sert908
26th May 2011, 11:11 PM
My Conkeldurr is really good until the forties when everyone catches up to him :(

Silent Conversation
26th May 2011, 11:16 PM
Conkeldurr looks like an amazing Pokemon. I had a huge internal debate between Conkeldurr and Sawk before playing Black, but I eventually went with Sawk because it had a slightly better move pool. The next time I play a game from the BW(G) series, I'm planning on using Scrafty, but after that I'm going to go with Conkeldurr.

Man, the fighting types this gen are amazing.

RegiGuy
26th May 2011, 11:16 PM
I had a Conkeldurr too in-game and I had the same experience unfortunety:(.

Silent Conversation
26th May 2011, 11:21 PM
So is Conkeldurr not a good Pokemon to use in-game? Because based off its stats, it looks extremely powerful.

-Unicorno-
26th May 2011, 11:21 PM
I used bianca's team to beat the game to make it harder, but instead it made the game boring.

Shiny_Lugia
26th May 2011, 11:24 PM
How good is Stantler in Gen V?
I like to use them for their frisk ability and I know(or atleast I like the movepool) they have a really great movepool with Earthquake, Jump Kick, electric moves and much more. But what is your oppinion?

Cassiopeia
26th May 2011, 11:48 PM
Conkeldurr looks like an amazing Pokemon. I had a huge internal debate between Conkeldurr and Sawk before playing Black, but I eventually went with Sawk because it had a slightly better move pool. The next time I play a game from the BW(G) series, I'm planning on using Scrafty, but after that I'm going to go with Conkeldurr.

Man, the fighting types this gen are amazing.
Mienshao gets no luv from u?????/ *rage*
I just finally caught a Sawk (because i have white) and I think its good ingame. But no one will replace Mienshao in my heart *hugs*
...I probably just sounded like -Silver-...

Silent Conversation
26th May 2011, 11:49 PM
Mienshao gets no luv from u?????/ *rage*

I don't dislike Mienshao, I just prefer Sawk, Conkeldurr and Scrafty. But IMO those three are amazing Pokemon, so the fact that I don't like Mienshao as much doesn't mean I don't like it.

Skull-Kid
26th May 2011, 11:55 PM
So is Conkeldurr not a good Pokemon to use in-game? Because based off its stats, it looks extremely powerful.

Conkeldurr is one of those Pokemon who's not the best choice for in-game but fantastic for competitive battling. Skarmory, Blissey and Ferrothorn are similar. Their movepools for in-game use is terrible but it is perfect for online battling. They make the transition to online play really well.

Witchan
27th May 2011, 12:06 AM
Conkeldurr's a freaking beast, man. Bulk Up+ Mach Punch/Drain Punch pwns all except for Ghost-types, which sucks.

RegiGuy
27th May 2011, 2:04 AM
In my opinion, using Bulk Up, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Payback is good for Conkeldurr. Or you could just have it hold the Bull's Eye and catch Ghost's off guard.

Mister_SGG
27th May 2011, 2:08 AM
What about Mienshao? It looks sick. Is it any good?

Typhlosionvsworld
27th May 2011, 2:08 AM
Conkeldurr is great. I like that it learns stone edge via level up.

Cassiopeia
27th May 2011, 2:14 AM
What about Mienshao? It looks sick. Is it any good?
Lets just say yes ^^. It does not have as much bulk as Conkeldurr (not even close), but uturn+regenerate takes care of that. It also has an actual speed stat.

RegiGuy
27th May 2011, 2:18 AM
I agree with Audino on that. Mienshao also has a base 125 attack stat, so it hits hard when it uses U-turn. Also I believe it is used best with a Life Orb set, since it Regenerates it's HP when it switches out.

Typhlosionvsworld
27th May 2011, 2:19 AM
What do you guys think of Scolipede?

Mister_SGG
27th May 2011, 2:21 AM
Scolipede's okay. It looks cool, but it's stats aren't the best.

Grei
27th May 2011, 2:52 AM

Same. I think Scolipede looks really awesome, but he seems mediocre in battle. I've never used one before, though.

CelestialFire
27th May 2011, 2:52 AM

Darn straight it looks cool, and Whirlipede looks like that vehicle that Grievous used in Star Wars III

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th May 2011, 4:05 AM
I was surprised Scollipede made it so high on that Nintendo Dream poll.

I like the dude, but out of all the Bug Pokemon this Gen didn't expect him to be so high.

Excitable Boy
27th May 2011, 4:06 AM
I was surprised Scollipede made it so high on that Nintendo Dream poll.

I like the dude, but out of all the Bug Pokemon this Gen didn't expect him to be so high.

Where may I view such a poll?

MetalFlygon08
27th May 2011, 4:09 AM
In my opinion, using Bulk Up, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, Payback is good for Conkeldurr. Or you could just have it hold the Bull's Eye and catch Ghost's off guard.

The OPPONENT has to be holding the Ring Target to make it work.

rocky505
27th May 2011, 4:18 AM
The OPPONENT has to be holding the Ring Target to make it work. Have another pokemon trick it to a ghost then.

Korobooshi Kojiro
27th May 2011, 4:20 AM

I posted it earlier in here...the full scan is out there on the net, though.

http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-658.html

Even if you can't read Japanese, you should be able to figure it out haha.

MetalFlygon08
27th May 2011, 4:30 AM
Have another pokemon trick it to a ghost then.

that's too much work when you can just hit them with Payback, since they get 1 free move against you either way.

If crobat can be found wild, then why can't Swoobat? Twist Mountain and Victory road could've used them...:631:

Cassiopeia
27th May 2011, 4:35 AM

Here (http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=12577131#post12577131)
10charlimit

Lorde
27th May 2011, 4:37 AM
I posted it earlier in here...the full scan is out there on the net, though.

http://shellspider.blog101.fc2.com/blog-entry-658.html

Even if you can't read Japanese, you should be able to figure it out haha.

Oshawott didn't come in first place. It's a sad day. On the brightside, it looks like Reshiram came in third place. That's nice. I like Reshiram. Snivy came in seventh place, which is pretty good too. I'm not a huge Snivy fan, but it does deserve some recognition. Oshawott tied with Joltik, which is sort of sad. Here we have my favorite Pokemon in the whole wide world tying with the Pokemon I like the least. Ironic. I'm also disappointed that Zorua came in 26th place. I thought it would be in the top ten because of the movie.

Paradoxe
27th May 2011, 4:50 AM
Here (http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=12577131#post12577131)
10charlimit

Do I see Stunfisk in there? Sneaky Stunfisk, always trying to get attention.

R_N
27th May 2011, 4:55 AM
Just a note http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/201105220312130df.jpg
Top 5 Boy Picks:
1. Hydreigon
2. Oshawott
3. Zekrom
4. Snivy
5. Reshiram

Top 5 Girl Picks:
1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reuniclus
4. Serperior
5. Joltik

Cassiopeia
27th May 2011, 4:56 AM
Do I see Stunfisk in there? Sneaky Stunfisk, always trying to get attention.
Yes... /*rage about how mienshao is one under stunfisk*

Silent Conversation
27th May 2011, 5:00 AM
Just a note http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/s/h/e/shellspider/201105220312130df.jpg
Top 5 Boy Picks:
1. Hydreigon
2. Oshawott
3. Zekrom
4. Snivy
5. Reshiram

Top 5 Girl Picks:
1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reuniclus
4. Serperior
5. Joltik

I find it hilarious how the big, powerful legendaries are on the Top 5 Boy Picks, but not the Top 5 Girl Picks... stereotypes at their best.

R_N
27th May 2011, 5:05 AM
I find it hilarious how the big, powerful legendaries are on the Top 5 Boy Picks, but not the Top 5 Girl Picks... stereotypes at their best.

I love it goes DRAGON cute 1st stage starter [box]DRAGON!! cute 1st stage starter [box]DRAGON!!!

Meanwhile the girls are all fully evolved except Joltik and range from mysterious to regal to cute and mostly unrelated, too.

Silent Conversation
27th May 2011, 5:38 AM
I love it goes DRAGON cute 1st stage starter [box]DRAGON!! cute 1st stage starter [box]DRAGON!!!

LOL, I didn't think of that. Boys are... strange. (And this is coming from a guy).

Mario with Lasers
27th May 2011, 7:24 AM
Top 5 Boy Picks:
1. Hydreigon
2. Oshawott
3. Zekrom
4. Snivy
5. Reshiram

HELL YEAH HYDREIGON

Hahahah, in the end, all boys are like that, we are just too shy~

R_N
27th May 2011, 7:31 AM
HELLSYEAHAWESOMEDRAONGSILOVEDRAGONs****** Oshawott is so ~kawaiiiiiiIIIIMEANLOOKATTHISAWESOMEDRAGONIT'SALLB LACKANDSTUFF snivy <3 <3

edit: Okay seriously why do we have a filter for t e e h e e
I mean, really

azurimon
27th May 2011, 7:58 AM
Just a note http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/s...20312130df.jpg
Top 5 Boy Picks:
1. Hydreigon
2. Oshawott
3. Zekrom
4. Snivy
5. Reshiram

Top 5 Girl Picks:
1. Chandelure
2. Whimsicott
3. Reuniclus
4. Serperior
5. Joltik

Hahaha wow why is this so true? I have a Chandelure and a Serperior on my team, and I do adore Whimsicott, Reuniclus and Joltik/Galvantula! To the point where I'm EV training them just because.
This is highly amusing. XD

The boy picks are interesting: fierce dragon, cute starter, fierce dragon, cute starter, fierce dragon. I mean, what, lol.

Excitable Boy
27th May 2011, 8:48 AM
And to think I liked Reuniclus, and to an extent Joltik and Chandelure.

Girls ruin everything.

rocky505
27th May 2011, 8:59 AM
Wow I am shocked at Chandelure being the #1 girl pick. I thought something cute was going to get it like Oshawott.

Cassiopeia
27th May 2011, 4:20 PM
And to think I liked Reuniclus, and to an extent Joltik and Chandelure.

Girls ruin everything.

*offended* jk
But I am suprised that a "cuter" pokemon was not at the top.

King Lawliet
27th May 2011, 7:15 PM
Stunfisk isn't number one? Poll is null and void.

streetlightdsb
27th May 2011, 7:57 PM
I'd have thought Dewott would have been voted higher than Oshawott by little boys. It just looks more badass imo.

Piggy
27th May 2011, 8:04 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/af/616Shelmet_Dream.png/120px-616Shelmet_Dream.png

I find Shelmet adorable.

Lorde
27th May 2011, 8:12 PM
I'd have thought Dewott would have been voted higher than Oshawott by little boys. It just looks more badass imo.

I like Dewott, but I don't really like its in-game sprite for some reason. I don't like Oshawott's either, but I love Oshawott in general. I'm surprised that more little boys voted for Oshawott than for Snivy. I thought that Snivy was supposed to be the "cool" starter Pokemon. I still remember when everyone and their grandparents were bashing Oshawott because it was a sad clown/Mime Jr. and Buizel hybrid/snowman/etc. Now everyone respects Oshawott. I love how things have changed.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/af/616Shelmet_Dream.png/120px-616Shelmet_Dream.png

I find Shelmet adorable.

I remember thinking that it was a clam, but I think it's supposed to be a snail or something.

Geekachu
27th May 2011, 8:43 PM
I like Dewott, but I don't really like its in-game sprite for some reason. I don't like Oshawott's either, but I love Oshawott in general. I'm surprised that more little boys voted for Oshawott than for Snivy. I thought that Snivy was supposed to be the "cool" starter Pokemon. I still remember when everyone and their grandparents were bashing Oshawott because it was a sad clown/Mime Jr. and Buizel hybrid/snowman/etc. Now everyone respects Oshawott. I love how things have changed.

I remember that, and then when Samurott was revealed everyone and their mother were outraged how such a brilliant Pokemon could be ruined by this quadrupedal abomination. Personally I love the Oshawott Line.

I also love how at first people were saying how Snivy was stupid because it was a snake with legs, and then Serperior was crticised for then being a snake with no legs.

And ofc Tepig evolving into part Fighting types, gosh, these starters were really something.

Valoo.
27th May 2011, 9:38 PM
These starters did bring a torrent of rage. I love Oshawott's line, but I wasn't so sure when they were first revealed. I didn't hate them, they just didn't appeal to me that much.

Toge Tamer
27th May 2011, 9:45 PM
torrent of rage.

Intentional pun? ;)

Yeah, I love Oshawott, but it's sprite doesn't do much for me. D:

Paradoxe
27th May 2011, 10:25 PM
They should've made a "Bacon" type just for the Tepig line. I swear.

BCVM22
27th May 2011, 10:36 PM
I still remember when everyone and their grandparents were bashing Oshawott because it was a sad clown/Mime Jr. and Buizel hybrid/snowman/etc. Now everyone respects Oshawott. I love how things have changed.

It's almost as if the insane rantings and ravings of the Internet mavens when things first get revealed are nothing but noise and should largely be ignored as such.

-Unicorno-
27th May 2011, 10:37 PM

I remember thinking that it was a clam, but I think it's supposed to be a snail or something.

It's not a clam???

BCVM22
27th May 2011, 10:38 PM
It's not a clam???

Clams aren't bugs, for one thing, and the spiral on its "shell" makes it pretty clear what the basis is, doesn't it?

Typhlosionvsworld
27th May 2011, 10:41 PM
They should've made a "Bacon" type just for the Tepig line. I swear.

If that happened, Blaziken would be KFC type.

Paradoxe
27th May 2011, 10:46 PM
If that happened, Blaziken would be KFC type.

You have to appeal to the demographics.

Geekachu
27th May 2011, 10:50 PM
Clams aren't bugs, for one thing, and the spiral on its "shell" makes it pretty clear what the basis is, doesn't it?

I begun to stop questioning all the stranger designs after I saw the likes of Trubbish and Vanilluxe

Mister_SGG
27th May 2011, 10:50 PM
I used to hate Oshawott because Samurott seemed so different from it's two pre evolutions.

Psycho Cut
27th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Stoutland, despite its awful movepool. I was able to use it and I found it to do really well. It dominated everyone not named Marshall.
Same. I used my stoutland from when i caught it as a lvl2 lillipup right up to Alder, i still use it now. It was really helpful in the elite four, but it peaked when it was a herdier; with the eviolite, it was unstopable. And it's moves aren't that bad, imo.

Witchan
27th May 2011, 10:59 PM
Oshawott isn't that bad. I like him and his good movepool.

XXD17
27th May 2011, 11:13 PM

well actually, clams and snails are more closely related to each other (both being mollusks albeit one is a gastropod and the other is a bivalve) than either is to any bug...assuming bug means insect...Also, i don't think a pokemon has to be an insect to be a bug type...such as galvantula, shuckle, scolipede, crustle...heck they don't even need to be arthropods with shuckle, shelmet and accelgor being examples...

-Unicorno-
27th May 2011, 11:15 PM
bug in my opinon is a pokemon that doesn't fit in the other groups.
Shuckle and Accelgor are unrelated in every way imaginable

BCVM22
27th May 2011, 11:19 PM
well actually, clams and snails are more closely related to each other (both being mollusks albeit one is a gastropod and the other is a bivalve) than either is to any bug...assuming bug means insect...Also, i don't think a pokemon has to be an insect to be a bug type...such as galvantula, shuckle, scolipede, crustle...heck they don't even need to be arthropods with shuckle, shelmet and accelgor being examples...

And all of that being the case, given that all of the clams and other bivalves in this franchise's bestiary are of the Water-type, can it be reasonably concluded that Shelmet's typing and design, and the fact that the critter that evolves using its shell has a named derived from escargot, are all there to lead us to the conclusion of Shelmet being snail-based?

Or... one that is bug- or arachnid-like... as the name "Bug-type" would suggest...

XXD17
27th May 2011, 11:20 PM
Shuckle and Accelgor are unrelated in every way imaginable

I always thought shuckle was a worm in an apple kind of thing even though it's rock type...and accelgor is a slug...so they remotely make sense as being bug types both being stuff someone would consider as a creepy crawly...

And all of that being the case, given that all of the clams and other bivalves in this franchise's bestiary are of the Water-type, can it be reasonably concluded that Shelmet's typing and design, and the fact that the critter that evolves using its shell has a named derived from escargot, are all there to lead us to the conclusion of Shelmet being snail-based?

Or... one that is bug- or arachnid-like... as the name "Bug-type" would suggest...

I never doubted shelmet being a snail...heck it's even classified as the snail pokemon (even though some classifications are off)...I was just merely pointing out that just because a clam isn't a bug doesn't mean that a snail is which seemed to be what you were implying...sorry for any misunderstandings...

Geekachu
27th May 2011, 11:29 PM
I always thought shuckle was a worm in an apple kind of thing even though it's rock type...and accelgor is a slug...so they remotely make sense as being bug types both being stuff someone would consider as a creepy crawly...

Accelgor always reminds me of an escape artist magician that's trapped in a straight jacket. It's so weird, his speed is ridiculous O.O

RegiGuy
27th May 2011, 11:35 PM
Shuckle's speed is ridiculously bad.

Valoo.
27th May 2011, 11:36 PM
I thought the star on Accelgor's head was a hole when I first saw it.

I personally like Escavalier better though.

-Unicorno-
27th May 2011, 11:59 PM
I always get confused. does karrablast or shelmet evolve into essavlier and which one evolves into accelgor.

BCVM22
28th May 2011, 12:07 AM
Karrablast > Escavalier

Shelmet > Accelgor

Karrablast gains Shelmet's helmet and it becomes a full suit of armor, hence the fully-armored Escavalier, Shelmet is able to become faster and more agile without its heavy helmet, hence the ninja-like Accelgor.

azurimon
28th May 2011, 1:00 AM

It needs to balance out its super high base 230 defenses though. :s

LexSuicune
28th May 2011, 7:01 AM
I find the symbiotic evolution between Karrablast and Shelmet quite fun and I hope they do it next gen.

Perhaps it can apply backwards, what Pokemon would you guys like to cross evolve from previous gens?

Geekachu
28th May 2011, 11:06 AM
I find the symbiotic evolution between Karrablast and Shelmet quite fun and I hope they do it next gen.

Perhaps it can apply backwards, what Pokemon would you guys like to cross evolve from previous gens?

Good question. I can't think of any right now, but they could do another Mantyke-esque evolution, and if you level up Magnemite/Magneton with a Klink in your party, in a place with electromagnetic influences, you can get a ridiculous Steel/Electric Generator Pokemon.

Valoo.
28th May 2011, 12:10 PM
That would actually be pretty cool. I always wanted to see more Pokemon evolve the way Mantyke does.

streetlightdsb
28th May 2011, 1:47 PM
Karrablast > Escavalier

Shelmet > Accelgor

Karrablast gains Shelmet's helmet and it becomes a full suit of armor, hence the fully-armored Escavalier, Shelmet is able to become faster and more agile without its heavy helmet, hence the ninja-like Accelgor.

I think this was a truly great idea. From first appearances, one would assume that Karrablast evolves into Accelgor and Shelmet into Escavalier, and as such there might be some confusion when it becomes apparent this isn't the case. But then upon reading up on the backstory on their evolutions, it makes perfect sense; from their appearances right down to their stats.

Absolute genius.

But instead of appreciating stuff like this, people will moan about ice creams.

Silent Conversation
28th May 2011, 4:14 PM

Shuckle itself is ridiculously bad.

(My opinion, of course, so people don't start flaming at me telling me that Shuckle can be used a lot and that I'm an idiot for telling other people that it is bad)

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 5:10 PM
Here's another topic, what's your favorite water pokemon and why. Mine of course is Swampert since it's Water-Ground and can learn both Mirror Coat and Counter:).

Plat. Frontier
28th May 2011, 5:40 PM
Here's another topic, what's your favorite water pokemon and why. Mine of course is Swampert since it's Water-Ground and can learn both Mirror Coat and Counter:).

Gallade, because it's every type. Arceus is Gallade's bottom ***** and slave.

That joke is so old. Gallade is awesome, but nowhere near as awesome as Scrafty.

Empoleon & Carracosta. Their designs are just awesome.

CaptainCombusken
28th May 2011, 6:03 PM
Water Poke? Humm... Probably Dewott, but I really like Poliwrath, Samurott, Swampert as well. if they make a standing up pose for Samurott in the third game, I will like it the most.

Grei
28th May 2011, 6:09 PM

I feel like the topic should be "what is your favorite 5th Gen Water Pokemon," since this is the 5th Gen section, and not the General Pokemon Discussion section. Just discussing any Pokemon is sort of off-topic, unless we're talking about how old Pokemon have benefited from the 5th Gen.

Anyway, remaining on-topic, my favorite Water-type in the 5th Gen is the Oshawott line, specifically Samurott. I love those guys. Palpitoad isn't too far behind, and Jellicent is awesome as well.

GalladeX
28th May 2011, 6:14 PM
I love the Palpitoad line. Tympole is cute, Palpitoad is derpy, and Seismitoad is a BAMF.

And of course, the Oshawott line. Well, more like Oshawott and Samurott. Dewott never really stood out to me.

KickAsh
28th May 2011, 6:38 PM

Politoed, mostly because of its design, and a tiny bit because of the handy new ability Drizzle. (In my defense, I've always liked Politoed, even before it became so popular.)

But to avoid being called a bandwagon-jumper, I'll say my favorites are Vaporeon and Sharpedo, because I like those guys too.

King Lawliet
28th May 2011, 6:56 PM
I feel like the topic should be "what is your favorite 5th Gen Water Pokemon," since this is the 5th Gen section, and not the General Pokemon Discussion section. Just discussing any Pokemon is sort of off-topic, unless we're talking about how old Pokemon have benefited from the 5th Gen.
This.

But anyway, I just had a quick browse through the Pokédex and my goodness, the water Pokémon this Generation are just horrendous. I actually do not like any of them except possibly Keldeo and...maybe Dewott but asides them I'm not a fan of any of them. Battle-wise it might be a different story but I haven't used them all yet

Silent Conversation
28th May 2011, 7:15 PM
Going by Grei's topic (because his makes more sense than the original one), I'm going to say Jellicent. Really cool typing, both of its abilities are amazing and can learn a lot of really good moves and it looks like the Pringles man

streetlightdsb
28th May 2011, 7:28 PM
Continung discussing 5th gen water types, I'd say I really like Frillish and Jellicent, the unique typing is something I'd been hoping for for a long time.

But nothing beats Dewott though.

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 7:49 PM
Okay, so on 5th gen water types, I like Basculin mainly because of it's design and I also like Keldeo because of it's sweeping capabilities even though it hasn't been released yet.

Mangoes
28th May 2011, 8:52 PM
Keldio looks like a beast, but Samurott is cool too.

Still, Keldio. <3 :D

Whimsicott and Maractus are both really good grass types, and I think they're some of the best grass pokemon in the game.

I just realized we've never had a grass-type box-cover legendary! Next gen I hope they put one in. Like a jade emperor pokemon or something.

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 8:57 PM
Speaking of 5th gen grass types, I like Whimsicott and Serperior the best. Whimsicott because of Prankster and Serperior because of Contrary (when it's finally released).

Witchan
28th May 2011, 8:58 PM
I like the 5th gen Water-types better than the other region water-types.

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 9:04 PM
My favorite type of the 5th gen would have to be FIGHTING. All of the fully evolved pokemon can be used competitively and are great, except for maybe Sawk, even though it has Sturdy.

Valoo.
28th May 2011, 9:17 PM
My favourite 5th Gen Water is Samurott. I always loved otters, and samurai otters is just awesome.

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 9:20 PM
I believe Samurott has a lot of potential because it can learn the move Encore.

Cassiopeia
28th May 2011, 9:21 PM
My favourite 5th Gen Water is Samurott. I always loved otters, and samurai otters is just awesome.

This. 10char

Grei
28th May 2011, 9:22 PM
Keldio looks like a beast, but Samurott is cool too.

Still, Keldio. <3 :D

Whimsicott and Maractus are both really good grass types, and I think they're some of the best grass pokemon in the game.

I just realized we've never had a grass-type box-cover legendary! Next gen I hope they put one in. Like a jade emperor pokemon or something.

Maractus is... good?

Lilligant is my favorite Grass-type. Leavanny in close second. Serperior is up there, too.

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 9:26 PM
I've actually made a sub-seed Lilligant, here's the set
Lilligant @ Big Root
Evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtt/ 252 Spe
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Timid
~Leech Seed
~Quiver Dance
~Giga Drain
~Substitute

I just like it, although I would like to replace either Quiver Dance or Leech Seed with Sleep Powder.

PsychicPsycho
28th May 2011, 9:27 PM
Accelgor always reminds me of an escape artist magician that's trapped in a straight jacket. It's so weird, his speed is ridiculous O.OYeah, I can see that. I've thought it's looks like it's wrapped up like a mummy. Also, it looks like it's a got a hole in its head. I think the dex entry for escavalier says it wears the shell of shelmet. Perhaps karrablast is not so nice in acquiring it.

Here's another topic, what's your favorite water pokemon and why. Mine of course is Swampert since it's Water-Ground and can learn both Mirror Coat and Counter:).I don't care for swampert. It looks silly to me, and seeing it in the hoenn BF always got me freaked out, because it seems like all of them in there learned the 2 attacks you mentioned.

As for my own favorite, I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess it'd be blastoise, just for nostalgia reasons (it was my 1st pokemon ever back in blue). Or perhaps milotic. Milotic was always mysterious to me, because feebas is so hard to get (outside of trades) and hard to evolve if you suck at poffin and pokeblocks (before Pt.). Plus I think it looks fairly interesting.

As for 5th gen water, I've to go with carracosta. It design caught me when I first looked through the new pokemon. Samurott is ok too, but didn't stick out to me as much.

Valoo.
28th May 2011, 9:35 PM
I completely forgot about Maractus...

My favourite Grass would be Leavanny and Whimsicott.

Mangoes
28th May 2011, 9:51 PM
Maractus is... good?

Well, really good looking, imo. :p

Cassiopeia
28th May 2011, 10:47 PM
Well, really good looking, imo. :p

Methinks it looks a bit to much like cacturne...
Virizion trumps all of you!!!!!!!!

RegiGuy
28th May 2011, 10:55 PM
I don't like to use virizion that much because it has a 4x weakness to flying and will be OHKOd.

Lorde
28th May 2011, 10:56 PM
Methinks it looks a bit to much like cacturne...

Maractus doesn't look too much like Cacturne. They're both based on cacti, but that doesn't mean that they look exactly alike. I don't really like Maractus myself, but I still don't have any ill feelings for it. It's just sort of there, like a lot of other Pokemon. It doesn't capture my attention and I only caught a Maractus for Pokedex purposes. My favorite Grass-type Pokemon in Generation 5 is Virizion.

GalladeX
28th May 2011, 10:57 PM
My favourite Grass-type is Sewaddle. -3-

He's so amazingly cute and powerful.

SphealsFTW
28th May 2011, 11:00 PM
My favourite Grass-type is Sewaddle. -3-

He's so amazingly cute and powerful.
I agree Sewaddle is like the cutest thing ever especially in the anime o3o.

KickAsh
28th May 2011, 11:26 PM
Maractus is... good?

Its the only Pokemon that gets Spikes+Chlorophyll, and that's about it.
Could be handy in NU.

Virizion trumps all of you!!!!!!!!
Agreed. Virizion takes the cake as best Grass type of this gen.

Geekachu
29th May 2011, 12:27 AM
I agree Sewaddle is like the cutest thing ever especially in the anime o3o.

GAH when I first saw Sewaddle I loved it, and I found Swadloon even cuter, and I love Leavanny purely because it's got like nearly the same head as Sewaddle, it's so weird and cool at the same time :3

But anime-wise, so far Ash's Oshawott steals the show for me each time :D I actually really love Oshawott

SphealsFTW
29th May 2011, 1:38 AM
GAH when I first saw Sewaddle I loved it, and I found Swadloon even cuter, and I love Leavanny purely because it's got like nearly the same head as Sewaddle, it's so weird and cool at the same time :3

But anime-wise, so far Ash's Oshawott steals the show for me each time :D I actually really love Oshawott
Sewaddle reminds me of like, a cute, armed Caterpie xD. Swadloon is nice too :3. I'm hunting for a shiny one right now. Sadly, I really don't Leavanny that much. Sewaddle and Swadloon are just so much better!

And yeah, I LOVE Miju in the anime. He has such a strong fighting spirit :P.

Mister_SGG
29th May 2011, 1:44 AM
My favourite Grass-type introduced this Gen is either Sawsbuck or Ferrothorn.

Typhlosionvsworld
29th May 2011, 1:45 AM
Eh, I prefer Simisage and Serperior.

Skydra
29th May 2011, 1:48 AM
Serperior and Whimsicott. Both design and usefulness are my reasons.

Mister_SGG
29th May 2011, 1:52 AM
Let's change the subject to the monkeys. Who agrees with me when I say

What the hell was Game Freak thinking?!

SphealsFTW
29th May 2011, 1:53 AM

What the hell was Nintendo thinking?!
Pansear is so incredibly weak and suckish when you recieve it. Simisear and Simipour are hideous.... >3<

Cassiopeia
29th May 2011, 1:54 AM

What the hell was Nintendo thinking?!

True dat.
10char