PDA

View Full Version : Official Pokemon Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

General Nonsense
4th June 2011, 5:13 AM
I like how Durant's Antenae are nails.

I never noticed that, now I like Durant even more :D

XXD17
4th June 2011, 5:33 AM
Durant is a serious pain to deal with...it's pretty good with hone claws though but its SD is kind of bad...anyways my favorite type is dragon of course...least favorite is ice although beartic is pretty cool...

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 6:00 AM
If only Heatmor were Fire/Ground, then it'll have to fix its speed with a possible Rock Polish set (not to mention balance with Durant's secondary type since it wouldn't be fair for Heatmor being a mono-type). It'll also need Energy Ball.

General Nonsense
4th June 2011, 6:06 AM
If only Heatmor were Fire/Ground, then it'll have to fix its speed with a possible Rock Polish set (not to mention balance with Durant's secondary type since it wouldn't be fair for Heatmor being a mono-type). It'll also need Energy Ball.

Why would it have energy ball? Doesn't make much sense.

edit: rank up!

Witchan
4th June 2011, 7:38 AM
Heatmor isn`t that bad of a pokemon. Game Freak should`ve let it learn more moves.

RegiGuy
4th June 2011, 2:54 PM
My favorite city this gen is Nimbasa City because you can do everything there.

Garchomp Addict
4th June 2011, 3:01 PM
I like Lacunosa Town most this time around. Probably it's just because I like the Kyurem-thing, but I also just like Lacunosa in general.

Grey Wind
4th June 2011, 4:08 PM
Energy Ball doesn't make an awful lot of sense for Heatmor.

And why are you talking about cities? :/

KickAsh
4th June 2011, 5:02 PM
I used to absolutely despise bug types, but after getting so many good bug types this gen, I can't honestly say I completely hate them anymore. Granted, bug will still never be one of my favourite types, but giving us Volcarona, Galvantula, Durant and Crustle really helped their reputation in my mind.
I've always loved the Bug type. We did get really great entries this gen (for me Accelgor really stands out, but I like them all), and I'm so happy GF did that. Bug types have come a long way from Gen I.

I never noticed that, now I like Durant even more :D
Heatmor's tail is a muffler. That's cool.
I didn't notice how Durant's antennae were nails, either. That's neat, but I still like Heatmor better.

But Durant definitely is a good Pokemon with Hone Claws+Hustle.

It'll also need Energy Ball.
Just because Energy Ball is super-effective against Water and therefore covers one of Heatmor's weaknesses doesn't mean that Heatmor is going to get it. Energy Ball makes no sense on Heatmor.

Dr. Leggs
4th June 2011, 5:05 PM
I like them both, but I use Durant more. Heatmor's just kind of outclassed by a lot, but it's design is great and I love anteaters.

Lorde
4th June 2011, 5:09 PM
Heatmor isn`t that bad of a pokemon. Game Freak should`ve let it learn more moves.

I don't think it's bad, but I don't like it very much either. I used one in White version, but I was far from impressed by it. I think I'd rather just stick with Darmanitan or Emboar. Those two have proven to be quite useful, so I prefer those over Heatmor. And since we can't talk about Heatmor without talking about its rival: Durant isn't much better. I like its type combination, but otherwise, it isn't very impressive IMO.

And why are you talking about cities? :/

hatersgonnahate.gif

Moonlight_Tails
4th June 2011, 6:11 PM
I still prefer Scizor for it's Technician ability paired with Bullet Punch but Durant is a great pokemon.
Galvantula Is Awesome. Crustle and Scolipede are good too. Accelgor looks cool but is kinda underwhelming.

rocky505
4th June 2011, 6:15 PM
Why would it have energy ball? Doesn't make much sense.

edit: rank up! Surf makes no sense on Rhydon and Rhyperior. Extrasensory makes no sense on Typhlosion. It's pokemon everything doesn't make sense.

R_N
4th June 2011, 6:20 PM
Surf makes no sense on Rhydon and Rhyperior. Extrasensory makes no sense on Typhlosion. It's pokemon everything doesn't make sense.
On the other hand, the vast majority of Pokemon have moves that do make sense.

The ones with odd-ball moves are typically the minority.

SasakiThePikachu
4th June 2011, 6:21 PM
Surf makes no sense on Rhydon and Rhyperior. Extrasensory makes no sense on Typhlosion. It's pokemon everything doesn't make sense.

^ This. But I still can't picture Heatmor with enegery ball...

Accelgor seemed cool in theory but I was underwhelmed with it. Volcarona and Galvantula on the other hand...wow.

Moonlight_Tails
4th June 2011, 6:21 PM
I don't think it's bad, but I don't like it very much either. I used one in White version, but I was far from impressed by it. I think I'd rather just stick with Darmanitan or Emboar. Those two have proven to be quite useful, so I prefer those over Heatmor. And since we can't talk about Heatmor without talking about its rival: Durant isn't much better. I like its type combination, but otherwise, it isn't very impressive IMO.

hatersgonnahate.gif

I'm really disappointed with Emboar. Worst of the fire starters IMO. Same goes for Samurott. Unenthusiastic about a lot of stuff this gen.

rocky505
4th June 2011, 6:23 PM
Yes but Emboar has something the other fire starters don't. A damaging water move, Scald.

RegiGuy
4th June 2011, 6:25 PM
I'm disappointed with the starters this gen, the only good one is Serperior, and that's mainly with it's DW ability, Contrary, which hasn't even been released yet. The REALLY good thing that came out of this gen though, is that TMs are no longer disposable, which is AWESOME.

rocky505
4th June 2011, 6:27 PM
I'm disappointed with the starters this gen, the only good one is Serperior, and that's mainly with it's DW ability, Contrary, which hasn't even been released yet. The REALLY good thing that came out of this gen though, is that TMs are no longer disposable, which is AWESOME. Heck no. Serperior is god awful without his DW ability. The other 2 learn a heck of a lot better moves. Serperior is the worst this gen to me. God awful moves, not so high attacking stats, weak against the last 3 gyms. The best starter is hard to decide between Emboar and Samurott.

Moonlight_Tails
4th June 2011, 6:29 PM
Even with Overgrow, Serperior is Awesome. My Jaw dropped when I took out Cynthia's same level Milotic with one hit of Leaf Blade without using Coil or critical hit.

SasakiThePikachu
4th June 2011, 6:32 PM
Yes but Emboar has something the other fire starters don't. A damaging water move, Scald.

Yeah, but Emboar is a better physical sweeper than special, meaning practically no-one will give their Emboar scald.

R_N
4th June 2011, 6:33 PM

That it will probably never use beyond novelty

Skydra
4th June 2011, 6:33 PM
Heck no. Serperior is god awful without his DW ability. The other 2 learn a heck of a lot better moves. Serperior is the worst this gen to me. God awful moves, not so high attacking stats, weak against the last 3 gyms. The best starter is hard to decide between Emboar and Samurott.

You kidding? I did better with Serperior than Samurott. Attacking isn't it's strong point, which is why it has Leech Seed and Coil. It's movepool is what needs improvement.

Moonlight_Tails
4th June 2011, 6:36 PM
Emboar is better off with Stone Edge or Earthquake then Scald

RegiGuy
4th June 2011, 6:38 PM
Serperior, is actually a really good SubSeeder since it's fast and it has pretty good defenses. For me, Emboar has bad defenses and is slow, so that's a bad combination, for Samurott, it really depends on how you use it.

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 6:46 PM
Samurott is practically the best of the three because Emboar's slow and frail, making him inferior compared to his predecessors. I might use Seperior on the third game depending if gets a better movepool. If not, then I'll stick with Samurott again depending if he gets Shell Smash, which may potentially outclass Cloyster in terms of base stats.

RegiGuy
4th June 2011, 6:47 PM
Samurott would become broken if it gets Shell Smash.

Moonlight_Tails
4th June 2011, 6:50 PM
Samurott just seems like a variation of Floatzel. Which is better IMO

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 6:55 PM
Samurott would become broken if it gets Shell Smash.

Not entirely, he'll be walled by Gyarados, Jirachi, Scizor, Forretress, Lucario, and Ferrothorn.

RegiGuy
4th June 2011, 7:18 PM
That's true, I forgot about those guys.

Cassiopeia
4th June 2011, 7:34 PM
Not entirely, he'll be walled by Gyarados, Jirachi, Scizor, Forretress, Lucario, and Ferrothorn.

*wishes for Samurott to get Earthquake/Stone Edge (like that'll ever happen -_______-)*

Garchomp Addict
4th June 2011, 7:37 PM
I think it's stupid that Zekrom misses out on EQ but Latias gets it.

AquaRegisteel
4th June 2011, 7:48 PM
That is pretty stupid.^

Serperior is pretty good ingame, many people shun it when they haven't exposed it's best capabilities.

Galvantula is pretty wicked with Thunder+CompoundEyes. Virizion is pretty epic. It is the second Grass/Fighting Pokemon next to Breloom. It's cry is awesomely...calming somehow. Terrakion is brilliant as it's shiny form is beastly cool. It's cry is fitting since it is a cavern Pokemon. Rock/Fighting is brilliant, too.

XXD17
4th June 2011, 7:51 PM
serperior is my personal favorite this gen...emboar is slow and can't take hits but it can really wreck in trick room situations...samurott is way too average despite its great movepool...serp is defensive and fast to begin with and it gets one of the best boosting moves...I use an overgrow physical set and it is really good...

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 10:07 PM
But Serperior's not good enough for both in-game and abuse its DW ability for it lacks any decent coverage.

R_N
4th June 2011, 10:22 PM
But Serperior's not good enough for both in-game and abuse its DW ability for it lacks any decent coverage.

Leaf Storm is going to hurt more and more, type coverage be damned.

edit: Also Samurott's problem is that he's just "Okay"
Okay movepool
Okay stats
Okay typing

His only real niche is Encore

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 10:25 PM
Leaf Storm is going to hurt more and more, type coverage be damned.

Resistances say otherwise (Fire, Bug, Dragon, Poison, and Steel), and aside from Poison, 2 of which are common typings while the other 2 are common moves.

edit: Also Samurott's problem is that he's just "Okay"
Okay movepool
Okay stats
Okay typing

His only real niche is Encore

Isn't this a good thing though? A balanced Pokemon is just as good as a strong/fast but frail Pokemon.

R_N
4th June 2011, 10:32 PM
Resistances say otherwise (Fire, Bug, Dragon, Poison, and Steel), and aside from Poison, 2 of which are common typings while the other 2 are common moves.

It's still going to sting really really hard. Also, hidden power I guess.

Isn't this a good thing though? A balanced Pokemon is just as good as a strong/fast but frail Pokemon.

There's a lot of "Okay" water types out there and a number of them that do their jobs better. I mean it's fine to use, but chances are if you want Samurott to do something there's more than a few other Pokemon that can do it better.

It's not Samurott's fault, though. There's tons of water types out there, and only so many stat set ups

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 10:35 PM
It's still going to sting really really hard. Also, hidden power I guess.

It'll struggle on which one to choose from: Ice or Fire. Ice for ridding Mence and Chomp and Fire for ridding Scizor and Ferrothorn.

There's a lot of "Okay" water types out there and a number of them that do their jobs better. I mean it's fine to use, but chances are if you want Samurott to do something there's more than a few other Pokemon that can do it better.

It's not Samurott's fault, though. There's tons of water types out there, and only so many stat set ups

So you're saying I shouldn't use Samurott and use another water type who may not be my favorite?

R_N
4th June 2011, 10:40 PM
So you're saying I shouldn't use Samurott and use another water type who may not be my favorite?

Where did I say that?
I was just commenting on how Samurott doesn't have enough to give him a good niche over other water types. If you like that guy, use him. I mean Vanilluxe doesn't have a lot going for it, doesn't stop me from using it

Ooo you know what'd be good for both Samurott & Serperior? Earth Power.

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 10:48 PM
I rather have Earth Power be taught by Charizard, Houndoom, and Heatmor, so they won't rely on Focus Blast. It wouldn't make sense for both Samurott and Serperior as they need Shell Smash and EQ/Brick Break respectively.

R_N
4th June 2011, 10:51 PM
You act like they can't get more than one move at a time.
At least Earth Power has a greater chance, move tutors and all.

Dattebayo
4th June 2011, 10:54 PM
Which is what I hope for in the third game, along with Dragon Pulse, the elemental punches/bites, and Superpower (Luxray and Armaldo want those moves back).

rocky505
5th June 2011, 2:23 AM
For people saying scald is a bad move on Emboar, it's not. The thing has usable SPATK and some people probably don't want too many inaccurate moves or recoil moves on it. But Serperior is awful in game the best in game set for it that is offensive is a SD/coil set with Leaf Blade,Aerial Ace,Return/Dragon tail.

XXD17
5th June 2011, 5:25 AM

It does get dragon tail to solve coverage problems...

Dattebayo
5th June 2011, 5:30 AM
It does get dragon tail to solve coverage problems...

But Dragon Tail isn't a good move, and it always makes him attack last.

XXD17
5th June 2011, 5:48 AM
But Dragon Tail isn't a good move, and it always makes him attack last.

I see it as a way to the force out pokemon that serp has an advantage over and force pokes that wall it out...ferrothorn, haxorus, forretress and scizor are all pokes that can affectively be diverted by dragon tail...sure wouldn't work with pokes like darmanitan, chandelure and volcorona but it is still quite useful...serp by itself is mostly a fast seed wall/ a capable attacker but it has to function well with a team...it by itself is pretty bad...but emboar and samurott are also pretty bad by themselves...emboar will get slain quickly without trick room and unless samurott gets to set up, it can be 2HKO'd by most pokes in the upper tiers without doing significant damage...

General Nonsense
5th June 2011, 5:59 AM
Dragon tail is good if you're using entry hazzards, but other than that, I don't see much use for it

R_N
5th June 2011, 6:17 AM
The Hydreigon/Golurk giveaway seems neat. I like they took the time to shiny the art work, even.

Since they're shiny, that means they should be locked into a specific nature, though. Hopefully they come with a special move and a berry.

Cassiopeia
5th June 2011, 6:38 AM
The Hydreigon/Golurk giveaway seems neat. I like they took the time to shiny the art work, even.

Since they're shiny, that means they should be locked into a specific nature, though. Hopefully they come with a special move and a berry.

Wait wut? 10char

R_N
5th June 2011, 6:41 AM
Wait wut? 10char

check the main site

Cassiopeia
5th June 2011, 6:43 AM
check the main site

GODDAMNIT!!! No events for me...*curses WPA encryption*

Dattebayo
5th June 2011, 6:48 AM
Will they each have exclusive moves?

the black lugia
5th June 2011, 7:10 AM
i want shiny golurk and i hope they know a unique move and berry i hope this event reaches australia

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 12:59 PM
GODDAMNIT!!! No events for me...*curses WPA encryption*
....They're not Wi-fi. They're Japanese events in McDonalds.

Casty
5th June 2011, 1:05 PM

Didn't they change that system in B/W? Shininess is now independent of natures I think.

Too bad it probably won't happen outside of Japan. The movie giveaways almost never do (not counting shiny beasts, because they were required to unlock the Zoroark event in B/W).

Blazios
5th June 2011, 1:21 PM
Didn't they change that system in B/W? Shininess is now independent of natures I think.

No, because in order for it to be shiny, specific personality values need to be set.

Geekachu
5th June 2011, 1:33 PM

Yeah I like how they did that. It would be nice if they did more Shiny Artwork

PokemonOwn
5th June 2011, 1:39 PM
Yeah! No more Golurk/Deino hunting for me!

Anyway, Conkeldurr, Throh or Sawk?

Conkeldurr > Sawk > Throh

Also, Stunfisk + Conkeldurr is awesome on a Trick Room team.

Swagmander
5th June 2011, 3:43 PM
Dis anyone else notice just how many hexagons show up in Black and White? It's creepy. The fountains in Nimbasa City, Roggenrola's "eye", Cryogonal, several of the touch-screen buttons, the lights on the C-Gear, Brycen's robe, Drayden's suspenders, and the whole top half of the region itself! INCEPTION!

manifesto
5th June 2011, 3:59 PM
I can't wait for these events. Golurk is my favorite pokemon, if I get a shiny one with a halfway decent nature I will be so happy.

If it's from WI-FI it's going to have my OT right? I like to have that just as a sort of OCD thing.

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 4:01 PM
If it's from WI-FI it's going to have my OT right? I like to have that just as a sort of OCD thing.
It's in Japanese McDonalds isn't it?

Cassiopeia
5th June 2011, 4:06 PM
McDonalds restaurants in Japan from June 17th to July 7th, then on WiFi from July 8th to September 8th, . Hence why I was cursing the complications of WPA internet security

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 4:10 PM
Whoops, I didn't see that part.

manifesto
5th June 2011, 4:28 PM
Now, does anyone know what the deal is with this? Like, other than the OT thing...do you get a random pokemon from it?

Dr. Leggs
5th June 2011, 4:33 PM

I doubt it. Event Pokemon of any sort rarely have the player's PID.

manifesto
5th June 2011, 4:37 PM
Eh, I don't see pokemon as quasi-common as those two not having it, but I'll deal anyway. It's not the end of the world.

Dr. Leggs
5th June 2011, 4:38 PM
It's not about them being common, it's about them not being found by you. It could be a "fateful encounter" deal but they rarely do that for non-legends. All I'd say is it's usually better to assume they'll have a different PID.

manifesto
5th June 2011, 5:10 PM
That's fine. I was just wondering. Apparently there's no specifics on moves though. I would guess there's nothing special about the pokemon other than them being shiny.

Dr. Leggs
5th June 2011, 5:59 PM
Indeed... Would be nice if they did have some distinct moves.

Splash Hydreigon and Tickle Golurk, pl0x.

Grei
5th June 2011, 6:26 PM
. Hence why I was cursing the complications of WPA internet security

Wait, those with, say, Nintendo Wi-Fi will be able to get these Pokemon, even in America?

I can't wait for these events. Golurk is my favorite pokemon, if I get a shiny one with a halfway decent nature I will be so happy.

Usually, the natures are set for each event. Everyone will be getting the same Golurk and Hydreigon (likely, they'll have neutral natures).

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 6:28 PM
Indeed... Would be nice if they did have some distinct moves.

Splash Hydreigon and Tickle Golurk, pl0x.
Imagine a Hyrdreigon Splashing...and a Golurk tickling you.

And Grei, I don't think they are. Movie events aren't usually available via Wi-fi outside Japan.

Blazios
5th June 2011, 6:29 PM
And Grei, I don't think they are. Movie events aren't usually available via Wi-fi outside Japan.

Pikachu Coloured Pichu, Shiny Raikou, Shiny Entei and Shiny Suicune would all like a word.

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 6:32 PM
Pikachu Coloured Pichu, Celebi, Shiny Raikou, Shiny Entei and Shiny Suicune would all like a word.
I mean when the event is going on in Japan, it won't be available here.

Blazios
5th June 2011, 6:33 PM
Grei never said anything about getting them at the same time, just about getting them over Wi-Fi. Given that they're a Wi-Fi movie event, it's likely most places will get them over Wi-Fi, while having to attend in store events for Reshiram, Zekrom and Victini.

Typhlosionvsworld
5th June 2011, 6:35 PM
Vulcarona was so weak in Relic Castle. I got it to yellow with my lv 49 Zebstrika in one hit.
I caught it, I am proud to say that it is my highest leveled Pokemon.

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 6:37 PM
Vulcarona was so weak in Relic Castle. I got it to yellow with my lv 49 Zebstrika in one hit.
I caught it, I am proud to say that it is my highest leveled Pokemon.
That thing almost wiped out my team. Although I wasn't trying to kill it, just catch it.

RegiGuy
5th June 2011, 6:50 PM
Well, Volcarona doesn't really have that high of a defense which is probably why you got it down to yellow on your first hit.

Typhlosionvsworld
5th June 2011, 6:55 PM
That thing almost wiped out my team. Although I wasn't trying to kill it, just catch it.

So was I. After I took it to Yellow, it wiped out my Zebstrika, Zekrom, and Rufflet. Only it's defenses are weak, but it is a tough Pokemon.

RegiGuy
5th June 2011, 6:57 PM
I really had a lot of trouble catching Thundurus in my white version, mainly because it's a roamer.

Typhlosionvsworld
5th June 2011, 6:59 PM
I really had a lot of trouble catching Thundurus in my white version, mainly because it's a roamer.

I haven't encountered it yet, because it's running around somewhere.

dan2point5
5th June 2011, 7:27 PM
Hate not being able to buy any evolution stones or not being able to trade over any held items via pal park place thingy. In desperate need of 2 water stones to complete my dex and evolve my shiny Staryu. Grrrr!

KuroiMawile
5th June 2011, 8:28 PM
Hate not being able to buy any evolution stones or not being able to trade over any held items via pal park place thingy. In desperate need of 2 water stones to complete my dex and evolve my shiny Staryu. Grrrr!

Sounds exactly like my problem. A shellder, staryu, lombre, and panpour all looking to evolve in a game where you're given two water stones (if you sak the Castelia stone-guy).

And using the dust clouds is so inconsistent.

R_N
5th June 2011, 8:35 PM
I will never understand why GameFreak is so absolutely insistent on making evolution items rare as hell. BW broke new ground by actually having the possibility of finding all the stones through dust clouds (which is still so damn random) rather than just having you be completely out of luck.

There is just no reason to straight up limit your choices like this, especially in a series where so many Pokemon share an evolution method or are rare themselves or need an item to evolve.

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 8:45 PM
I hated the evolution stone rarity. I spent ages cycling around inside Giant Chasm looking for stones, but I only found one. They could at least have let us trade items from D/P.

Geekachu
5th June 2011, 9:20 PM
I hated the evolution stone rarity. I spent ages cycling around inside Giant Chasm looking for stones, but I only found one. They could at least have let us trade items from D/P.

I would've loved that, I'm in desperate need of Fire Stones on White, i.e. I have none, but upon going on my Diamond the other day I found I'd collected 29 Fire Stones from the underground. Plus I've found plenty of evolution stones in the dust clouds, but they've ALL been friggin Leaf Stones :( I've now resorted to rippling water/shaking grass to find evo stone evolutions. I'm sooo glad they introduced those features

Grey Wind
5th June 2011, 9:47 PM
I would've loved that, I'm in desperate need of Fire Stones on White, i.e. I have none, but upon going on my Diamond the other day I found I'd collected 29 Fire Stones from the underground. Plus I've found plenty of evolution stones in the dust clouds, but they've ALL been friggin Leaf Stones :( I've now resorted to rippling water/shaking grass to find evo stone evolutions. I'm sooo glad they introduced those features
Sadly that long time, and those 40 Max Repels went to waste, as I found out there was more than one Dusk Stone. >.<

Geekachu
5th June 2011, 10:07 PM
Sadly that long time, and those 40 Max Repels went to waste, as I found out there was more than one Dusk Stone. >.<

I know, I've wasted so many Max Repels, especially searching for Politoed, Starmie, Ninetales, the latter of which I still haven't caught. I hope there's an easier way to get them in the 3rd Version.

SasakiThePikachu
6th June 2011, 12:16 AM

I know - what's with that? The Underground of Sinnoh practically crapped evolution stones all over us...and then, as if in deliberate mockery, we have to scrounge in the dust for them in B/W. And can we transfer all the millions we accumulated through hours in the Underground? Certainly not, sir!

*grumbles under breath* -__-

Another thing I'm hoping they fix in 'Gray'. Maybe they'll give us a little in-game mini-game where you can earn points to buy them, like the HG/SS Pokethlon. Only less annoying.

Dattebayo
6th June 2011, 12:24 AM
There is one good thing about the Gen 1 games, which is the ability to buy the stones via Department Store. After that, they made them super rare. Can't we just go back to that feature for the third game?

SasakiThePikachu
6th June 2011, 12:43 AM
There is one good thing about the Gen 1 games, which is the ability to buy the stones via Department Store. After that, they made them super rare. Can't we just go back to that feature for the third game?

Gods do I miss the original Celadon City Dept Store. My scream of fangirl wrath was quite loud when I reached the Wise Man's gifts floor in FR/LG and HG/SS only to find stupid mail available.

Who uses mail? Really? I want names.

But anyways it'd be cool to buy the stones, but I don't think they'll give us that feature back. It's too easy. GF seem to like making us sweat for our evo items.

manifesto
6th June 2011, 12:57 AM
You'd think that since the Water Stone is the most commonly used stone to evolve pokemon with they'd have more of that one specifically at least. Or at least give you one for every pokemon that needs it. Just for the sake of completing the pokedex. It's a poor solution, but it'd at least cut some grief out.

dan2point5
6th June 2011, 1:06 AM
Okay well I just spent 60 max repels running round giant chasm for a water stone. Between the bazillion gems I gathered I got a Fire Stone, an Everstone, a Sun Stone and then finally a Water Stone! I got excited every time I got a Water Gem cos I thought it was gonna say stone haha.

R_N
6th June 2011, 2:27 AM
Gods do I miss the original Celadon City Dept Store. My scream of fangirl wrath was quite loud when I reached the Wise Man's gifts floor in FR/LG and HG/SS only to find stupid mail available.

Who uses mail? Really? I want names.

But anyways it'd be cool to buy the stones, but I don't think they'll give us that feature back. It's too easy. GF seem to like making us sweat for our evo items.

Uh, FRLG had buyable stones
it was bliss

also buyable brick break, that was great.

Cassiopeia
6th June 2011, 2:49 AM
Uh, FRLG had buyable stones
it was bliss

also buyable brick break, that was great.

But you get brick break for free in Icirrus city!

Mister_SGG
6th June 2011, 2:52 AM
Does anyone actually use mail? Its available a lot of places, you kinda start to think GF believes people use it.

R_N
6th June 2011, 2:52 AM
But you get brick break for free in Icirrus city!

Other generations exist
Other generations where TMs were not infinite use

Cassiopeia
6th June 2011, 2:53 AM
Does anyone actually use mail? Its available a lot of places, you kinda start to think GF believes people use it.
I guess its a....novelty item? -_________-

manifesto
6th June 2011, 3:10 AM
I debated using it just once to say stupid things to people. Then I realized that it's kind of a pointless thing to even attempt.

Cassiopeia
6th June 2011, 3:13 AM
Other generations exist
Other generations where TMs were not infinite use

Woooooooooooow my post made me sound like a noob -_________- *gets out old Game Boy Color and Silver*
But I do hope that TMs are reusable in the (most likely) R/S/E remakes BUT THEN POKEMON WOULD BE RUINED...FOREVER BECAUSE THE GAME IS NOT EXACTLY THE SAME!!!1!1

But, yeah *back on topic* mail is pretty much not worth it, with the limited phrases you have (unless they changed it in B/W)

manifesto
6th June 2011, 3:18 AM
Reusable TMs is the most awesome feature implemented in B/W IMO.

Mail though, it's been around since Gen 2. I doubt it's THAT popular that they need to keep it for this long. Maybe it's more popular in Japan. Maybe.

R_N
6th June 2011, 3:31 AM
But, yeah *back on topic* mail is pretty much not worth it, with the limited phrases you have (unless they changed it in B/W)

how is mail anymore on topic than TMs

manifesto
6th June 2011, 3:33 AM
how is mail anymore on topic than TMs

Because anarchy.

anyways, why do you think there isn't a safari zone in B/W? I can't give it a reason whatsoever. I just want to know other peoples' thoughts. Other than "b/c GF decided not to put it in lulz" because obviously they did just that, I just wonder why.

Dattebayo
6th June 2011, 3:38 AM
Because anarchy.

anyways, why do you think there isn't a safari zone in B/W? I can't give it a reason whatsoever. I just want to know other peoples' thoughts. Other than "b/c GF decided not to put it in lulz" because obviously they did just that, I just wonder why.

B&W filled up the DS cartridge so much that there wasn't anymore room to add other stuff such as the Safari Zone.

Cassiopeia
6th June 2011, 3:41 AM
Because anarchy.

For teh lulz
Ummm...maybe they thoght the Dream World covered it?

Riarra
6th June 2011, 3:52 AM

Maybe because people were complaining too much about shinies running away. ;) I may be a little strange in the head, but I actually miss the Safari Zone, now that it's gone. Probably because the HG/SS one let me get Hoenn Pokémon (and since I don't have any of the Hoenn games, I really liked that).

misterdarvus
6th June 2011, 4:28 AM

Actualy, I want use one and attach it to a pokemon that I want to trade for some suprise, but I can't find any good words and I hate how limited the words, I want to type it anyway, c'mon gamefreak, swear word is censored isn't it?

And something stupid when I was kid about mail, I wrote a mail to my in-game mom a thunder stone for a Jolteon, I thought it would worked but I dunno where I must send it.

Grei
6th June 2011, 4:43 AM
Reusable TMs is the most awesome feature implemented in B/W IMO.

Mail though, it's been around since Gen 2. I doubt it's THAT popular that they need to keep it for this long. Maybe it's more popular in Japan. Maybe.

It's probably more or less a case of "why remove it?"

Because Safari Zones are STUPID

I may be a little strange in the head, but I actually miss the Safari Zone, now that it's gone.

Odd, I don't miss it in the least.

(Serious answer) My guess is that they just didn't need a Safari Zone due to every single Unova Pokemon being available at some point prior to the National Dex. It's kind of pointless when every single new Pokemon can be caught without one.

Or, maybe the Safari Zone parallels some attraction/game in Japan that doesn't exist in America, and that's why it isn't in Unova. Probably not, but who knows?

KuroiMawile
6th June 2011, 4:45 AM
on mail, I got a JPN cottonee with a rather sad letter, I think it was about half a month after the 'quake.

I figured the Dream World and White Forest were our B-W safari zone.

As for pokemon discussion... Who else loves Mandibuzz? (Is the pre-evo translated to Vulchild? [Baruchai])

Dr. Leggs
6th June 2011, 5:11 AM
As for pokemon discussion... Who else loves Mandibuzz? (Is the pre-evo translated to Vulchild? [Baruchai])

Mandibuzz evolves from Vullaby.

Grei
6th June 2011, 5:17 AM
So was I. After I took it to Yellow, it wiped out my Zebstrika, Zekrom, and Rufflet. Only it's defenses are weak, but it is a tough Pokemon.

Why would you claim that Volcarona is "weak" when it wiped out half of your team (all of them being Pokemon that weren't at a type disadvantage)?

I will never understand why GameFreak is so absolutely insistent on making evolution items rare as hell. BW broke new ground by actually having the possibility of finding all the stones through dust clouds (which is still so damn random) rather than just having you be completely out of luck.

There is just no reason to straight up limit your choices like this, especially in a series where so many Pokemon share an evolution method or are rare themselves or need an item to evolve.

I don't get it either. I mean, I imagine it's alleviated a little bit because some fully-evolved Pokemon (like Starmie and Kingdra) can be found in the wild, but... I had the biggest headache trying to get a second Lilligant (one with Chlorophyll) when I finally got a Petilil and had to scrounge around for a Sun Stone. And it's even worse for things like the Reaper Cloth and Razor Fang, since you have the slight chance of finding stones in Dust Clouds.

I know - what's with that? The Underground of Sinnoh practically crapped evolution stones all over us...and then, as if in deliberate mockery, we have to scrounge in the dust for them in B/W. And can we transfer all the millions we accumulated through hours in the Underground? Certainly not, sir!

*grumbles under breath* -__-

Speaking of the Underground... I sort of see Entralink as this Gen's Underground (only ten times suckier or better depending on if you have a friend who plays Black/White), so I hope that in Grey, Entralink gives you something to do on your own besides retrieve Dream World Pokemon/Items. I don't know what, since it made sense for the Underground (and wouldn't make sense for Entralink) to have an excavating mini-game and secret bases. Just... something. Maybe a mini-game that nets you these evolutionary items.

Another thing I'm hoping they fix in 'Gray'. Maybe they'll give us a little in-game mini-game where you can earn points to buy them, like the HG/SS Pokethlon. Only less annoying.

This would be awesome. It'd be really, REALLY cool to have the Pokeathlon in Unova (I loved the Pokeathlon, I thought it was the best side-game to ever be in a Pokemon game ever), but since I don't expect that, having a similarly-awesome mini-game would be very welcome (again with the Entralink additions I mentioned above).

on mail, I got a JPN cottonee with a rather sad letter, I think it was about half a month after the 'quake.

That's... really depressing. D:

Baruchai is Vullaby in English.

I like the design and the defensiveness of Mandibuzz, but... man, what a terrible movepool. The strongest STAB Physical Dark-type attack it gets is Punishment, which requires stat changes in order to be any good whatsoever. You could go with Dark Pulse, but Mandibuzz's Sp. Atk is a measly 55.

I like it, though. I love defensively-built Pokemon (like Scrafty, Serperior, and Altaria), I just wish that Mandibuzz wasn't so pitiful in the movepool department.

MetalFlygon08
6th June 2011, 5:47 AM
And the Vulture Pokemon have some BA cries!

R_N
6th June 2011, 5:57 AM
I like the design and the defensiveness of Mandibuzz, but... man, what a terrible movepool. The strongest STAB Physical Dark-type attack it gets is Punishment, which requires stat changes in order to be any good whatsoever. You could go with Dark Pulse, but Mandibuzz's Sp. Atk is a measly 55.

I like it, though. I love defensively-built Pokemon (like Scrafty, Serperior, and Altaria), I just wish that Mandibuzz wasn't so pitiful in the movepool department.

It has enough of what it needs. Nasty Plot can help offset the special problem but that isn't its purpose.

It gets a phazing move, a recovery move, some trapping moves, Tailwind is useful in doubles, and two flinching moves (Air Slash, Dark Pulse) that it can power up with Nasty Plot if you really want, and Brave Bird (not that 65 attack is that much)
Only thing it could really use would be Spikes.

AmericanDreamer
6th June 2011, 6:21 AM
I honestly don't think very much of Vullaby and Mandibuzz (also, I get Vullaby, but where does the name Mandibuzz even come from?). They're cool, sure, but not greatly so. At least in my own opinion.

They are nowhere near as cool when you compare them to Braviary and Rufflet. But then maybe that's just my crazy intense sense of patriotism shining through...I can't stop geeking out about the totally awesome concept of a red, white, and blue eagle.

General Nonsense
6th June 2011, 6:27 AM
I'm really not a fan of Braviary to be honest *shot*

XXD17
6th June 2011, 6:38 AM
I honestly don't think very much of Vullaby and Mandibuzz (also, I get Vullaby, but where does the name Mandibuzz even come from?). They're cool, sure, but not greatly so. At least in my own opinion.

They are nowhere near as cool when you compare them to Braviary and Rufflet. But then maybe that's just my crazy intense sense of patriotism shining through...I can't stop geeking out about the totally awesome concept of a red, white, and blue eagle.

mandibuzz is a combo of mandible (as in lower jaw, the bone around its waist) and buzzard, a colloquial term associated with new world vultures in the US even though traditionally it was associated with european hawks of the Buteo genus...and I personally find mandibuzz very useful...braviary with sheer force is pretty good but a mandibuzz will annoy the crap out of anyone...

Paradoxe
6th June 2011, 6:38 AM
And the Vulture Pokemon have some BA cries!

Vullaby: "I'M F****** SICK OF THIS!

Mandibuzz: "I LIKE BANANAS!"

Listen, and you will see.

Dattebayo
6th June 2011, 6:59 AM
It's no wonder why everyone loves walls in their teams.

R_N
6th June 2011, 7:06 AM
I love Mandibuzz. I didn't care much for it at first (though I also didn't hate it), but it's really grown on me and I plan on sending over a Vullaby the next time I start a game.

Honestly I like it more than Braviary

chadrizar
6th June 2011, 7:14 AM
I''m not really into mandibuzz (seeing that I have Pokemon White), but I do respect her. It's rare to see a defensive built bird :3

jolteon135
6th June 2011, 7:49 AM
I have White and I'll say Braviary sucks. I dropped it from my team after the e4. It has good attack but "meh" speed so it can't take full advantage of that attack stat. Sheer force on it is stupid 'cause rock slide is the only thing it makes more usable. Crush claw is still outclassed by return/frustration.

Mandibuzz has such awesome defenses. I get scared every time I see one of them in battle 'cause I know it's about to do something annoying and there's nothing I can do about it.

Geekachu
6th June 2011, 9:16 AM
I like Braviary, I mean I only introduced it on my team Post Elite 4, but it's alright. Mine had Keen Eye, and it would've been nicer to have Sheer Force but yanoo. However I did like it because it's bulkier and more usable to me in game, as opposed to other flying types.

And I really like Mandibuzz, despite all the hate for it. It's DW artwork is great.

SapphireL
6th June 2011, 9:58 AM
Braviary is ****ing awesome. He's definitely one of my favorite Pokemon introduced this generation... but then again I'm easily inclined to bird Pokemon. I haven't played White in a while, but I plan on training a Braviary as soon as I can. He might be the first EV Pokemon I train in the 5th Gen.

Some of my other favorites this gen include Serperior and Druddigon.

I personally like a lot more of the Pokemon in the 5th gen than I did last gen. I don't know what it is... The designs, ideas, whatever. There's just something about these newest Pokemon that made me want to train more of them than last gen.

Grey Wind
6th June 2011, 1:14 PM
*le gasp* Braviary is awesome. It was a pain to get through the weakling Rufflet, but once it evolved, he was excellent. One of the best designs thie Gen, and easily the best bird. A much more diverse movepools over Unfezant.

Pikacu
6th June 2011, 1:18 PM
i found that a lot of the newer Pokemon had to many similarities to others, not saying that they aren't unoriginal i just think more time could have been spent on some of the more common Pokemon like unfezant

Chairman
6th June 2011, 2:16 PM
I don't really like Braviary, IMO it just looks like a generic bird. I personally like the idea of a vulture or whatever it's supposed to be, but like others have said it's move pool flat out sucks. When it comes down to it, I think braviary is a better pokemon though.

Mister_SGG
6th June 2011, 2:29 PM
Braviary is great. Give it a Life Orb and a Jolly nature, and it can be tough to take down. And it's got the big HP stat.

NeohopeSTF
6th June 2011, 2:47 PM
Braviary was necessary for me to catch because it could learn fly and i also tend to have the version exclusive pokemon on my team.

Drummerdude
6th June 2011, 2:49 PM
I like the design for Mandibuzz much more than I like Braviary's. But in terms of useage in battles I prefer Braviary because I tend to focus on attacking all the time.

Edit: Rank up!

Dr. Leggs
6th June 2011, 2:53 PM
I don't love Mandibuzz, but it's not bad. Better than Braviary, at least.

Grey Wind
6th June 2011, 2:55 PM
So, what are peoples favourite Bug types this Gen? it introduced a lot of good ones, and my personal favourite is Escavalier.

Dr. Leggs
6th June 2011, 2:57 PM
Geez, I dunno... I can honestly say I like every Bug-type introduced this generation. I think it comes down to Galvantula, Genesect and Volcarona, though.

Youngster_Joey
6th June 2011, 2:58 PM
Mine would have to be Galvantula.

Drummerdude
6th June 2011, 2:58 PM
My favorite bug type would have to be either Galvantula or Escavalier. Escavalier has one of my favorite designs this generation and Galvantula has a good typing plus Compoundeyes Thunder.

AlexKZ
6th June 2011, 3:03 PM
Accelgor and Sewaddle. Both a freaking awesome.

RegiGuy
6th June 2011, 3:04 PM
My favorite bug is Volcarona, I love it's typing.

Grey Wind
6th June 2011, 3:11 PM
I'm just glad they made the Bugs useful, compared to the Butterfree and Dustox of previous Generations.

Dattebayo
6th June 2011, 4:11 PM
Favorite Unova bug: Genesect/Dennis!

NeohopeSTF
6th June 2011, 4:39 PM
My favorite Unova Pokemon is Leavanny
Also did one of e4 members look familiar to you. I now I've seen that the name and outfit before but I can't but my finger on it.

General Nonsense
6th June 2011, 4:39 PM
Joltik is my favorite bug, it is the only pokemon that legitimately makes me squee :3

misterdarvus
6th June 2011, 4:45 PM
How do you forget Crustle, that odd hermit crab thing is great with shell smash!

General Nonsense
6th June 2011, 4:56 PM
How do you forget Crustle, that odd hermit crab thing is great with shell smash!

It IS pretty awesome

RegiGuy
6th June 2011, 4:58 PM
I do love that move Shell Smash, it works very well with Cloyster.

KickAsh
6th June 2011, 7:02 PM
*le gasp* Braviary is awesome. It was a pain to get through the weakling Rufflet, but once it evolved, he was excellent. One of the best designs thie Gen, and easily the best bird. A much more diverse movepools over Unfezant.
I really like Braviary a lot. It's one of my favorite Pokemon of the 5th gen. Ever since it was first shown (as one of the earliest Pokemon revealed), I've loved it. It's not a bad Pokemon, either, for battles. But I mostly like Braviary because of its design.
I like Mandibuzz, too, and I love defensive Pokemon, so IMO Mandibuzz is a cool Pokemon. But I like Braviary more.

So, what are peoples favourite Bug types this Gen? it introduced a lot of good ones, and my personal favourite is Escavalier.
Accelgor. Definitely.
Fast Pokemon always appeal to me, his ninja-esque design is cool, I even think his ability is cool. I just really like Accelgor.

Geekachu
6th June 2011, 7:30 PM
For once in a generation I'm struggling to pick a single favourite bug type (as opposed to deciding the lesser of two evils in previous gens), but I love Sewaddle because it's so darn cute, Galvantula since I fell in love with its Compoundeyes and Thunder combo, and lastly Volcarona because its design is brilliant, one of the best of gen V. I've yet to use it in a team though, I'll probably use it in the 3rd Version.

TheEpicGoomba
6th June 2011, 7:34 PM
My favoite Bug type has to be Galvantula. It has really nice typing, Looks cool and one of his abillitys is great for him(Compondeyes)

manifesto
6th June 2011, 7:39 PM
Also did one of e4 members look familiar to you. I now I've seen that the name and outfit before but I can't but my finger on it.

You mean Caitlin from the Battle Palace in the Gen IV battle frontiers?

My favorite bug has to be Volcarona, it's been on my team since I discovered it. (haven't looked at any spoilers for these games) It's just got awesome typing, Quiver Dance, good stats, a beautiful design. Everything's going for it for me. Thank you Game Freak.

King Lawliet
6th June 2011, 8:15 PM
Genesect, Volcarona, Sewaddle are all next on my list but only after Joltik as my favourite Bug type this Gen

NeohopeSTF
6th June 2011, 8:24 PM
You mean Caitlin from the Battle Palace in the Gen IV battle frontiers?
Oh yeah thats the one thanks!

PsychicPsycho
6th June 2011, 8:47 PM
So, what are peoples favourite Bug types this Gen? it introduced a lot of good ones, and my personal favourite is Escavalier.I'm not really crazy over bug types. However, I guess my favorite would be scolipede. I just thought it looked cool. And it makes me think of scolopendra from another game.

Genesect is also cool though. It looks like an evil bug robot. And, it comes with a lazer.

matokai
6th June 2011, 8:50 PM
The bug's are so good this gen....I especially love Joltik

Silent Conversation
6th June 2011, 9:33 PM

Volcarona for actual usage in a team, Genesect for design, and Galvantula for typing.

I'm just glad they made the Bugs useful, compared to the Butterfree and Dustox of previous Generations.

I completely agree. Bug used to be such a useless type, so I'm glad they expanded on a mediocre type this gen instead of making an already great type even better.

SasakiThePikachu
6th June 2011, 9:47 PM
I love Galvantula - Compound Eyes and Thunder is a beast, and its pre-evo is SO CUTE ARGHH THE CUTENESS BLIIIINDDDSSS *implodes*

Volcarona is the win for me though. The design, the movepool, the sp atk on that thing...yep, Volcarona. Even if they are a proper biatch to raise from an egg.

Silent Conversation
6th June 2011, 9:55 PM
Volcarona is the win for me though. The design, the movepool, the sp atk on that thing...yep, Volcarona. Even if they are a proper biatch to raise from an egg.

Well think about it, the more work you put into something, the greater the finished product is.

CaptainBrain
7th June 2011, 12:00 AM
Training Larvesta to Volcarona wasn't easy, but it was so worth it. Volcarona (EV trained in Speed and Sp. Attack) is an absolute beast. It kicked serious tail on my Subway team.

manifesto
7th June 2011, 12:48 AM
I find training easy, perhaps it's my patience?

Once I got that Larvesta though, I fell in love. Once it evolved into Volcarona, I fell in love all over. All time favorite bug next to Heracross.

Typhlosionvsworld
7th June 2011, 12:50 AM
What do you think of Zebstrika? I'm using it and can vouch for how powerful it is.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 12:55 AM
It's nonetheless an inferior Rapidash for having a more shallow movepool.

Typhlosionvsworld
7th June 2011, 12:56 AM
Eh, It's faster and has better abilities.

manifesto
7th June 2011, 12:56 AM
I could never get to use one because I was always frustrated with how low Blitzle's defences were and it kept fainting.

Typhlosionvsworld
7th June 2011, 1:01 AM
It evolved after my battle with Elesa. It took out her entire team o . O

I could never get to use one because I was always frustrated with how low Blitzle's defences were and it kept fainting.

Wild Zebstrika appear on Route 7. I trained mine from a Blitzle for my own reasons.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 1:02 AM
Eh, It's faster and has better abilities.

But it's much frail than Rapidash, and it doesn't have any physical move to cover its ground weakness.

Typhlosionvsworld
7th June 2011, 1:03 AM
Does Rapidash? NO. All you can do is use the Sunny Beam combination, and sp atttacks on Rapidash are bad.

NeohopeSTF
7th June 2011, 1:09 AM
Zebrastrika is an awesome pokemon compared to rapidash in my eyes only because Zebrastrika is a Zebra need i say more?

Mister_SGG
7th June 2011, 1:11 AM
Zebrastrika is an awesome pokemon compared to rapidash in my eyes only because Zebrastrika is a Zebra need i say more?

Yes. Being a zebra is cool, but it hardly makes up for the rest of Zebstrika.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 1:15 AM
But Rapidash is a unicorn, and you will feel the HARMONY when using one. Now if only it learned Jump Kick so it won't relay on Low Sweep.

A_Merry_Snowrunt
7th June 2011, 1:50 AM
anybody notice how Scraggy is wearing it's pre evolved form's skin, Scraffy, once it evolves? Not only that, but the red like hair strand on its pre evolved form is apart of the tail on its evolved form.

Grei
7th June 2011, 2:13 AM
I hear a lot about how Zebstrika's a boring Pokemon to use, and that it's really tiresome using one by the end of the game. Zebstrika never really stuck out to me, either.

Rapidash is better.

anybody notice how Scraggy is wearing it's pre evolved form's skin, Scraffy, once it evolves? Not only that, but the red like hair strand on its pre evolved form is apart of the tail on its evolved form.

?

Scraggy is the pre-evolved form of Scrafty. You've got it backwards... I think.

But yeah, that's the point. Scraggy's skin is half-shed when it evolves, and it is worn kind of like baggy clothes as a Scrafty.

XXD17
7th June 2011, 2:27 AM
zebstrika is really fast...besides that, it can't really match up to other electric types this gen like eelektross or galvantula...

Grei
7th June 2011, 2:30 AM
zebstrika is really fast...besides that, it can't really match up to other electric types this gen like eelektross or galvantula...

Emolga's pretty fast, too. My Emolga did pretty well for me, actually.

Asterveil
7th June 2011, 2:35 AM
I personally never liked Zebstrika.... I don't really like Electric types in general(except for a few exceptions like Elektross & Galvantuala).

Which brings up the question, what is your most disliked type?

manifesto
7th June 2011, 2:52 AM
I don't really dislike any types much but I guess the one I use the least is Ice. I just never find a place on my team for it. I guess if I had to hate on one, I don't like water. Just too common and I don't like a lot of the pokemon who have that type. But that doesn't really stop me from using a water type here and there.

Pikacu
7th June 2011, 3:53 AM
I would have thought that Normal would have been the most despised type they really aren't good for much except as a counter to ghost moves

manifesto
7th June 2011, 3:54 AM
They have some cool designs though and aren't bad as it is. They're just there.

PsychicPsycho
7th June 2011, 4:02 AM
Which brings up the question, what is your most disliked type?I guess I don't dislike any types really. In terms of the pokemon I've used on my teams, probably bug, just because they aren't usually that great, so I don't use them that often.

When I fighting in the battle frontier/subway, I hate to run into pure normal types the most. Every time I see one I'm worried it will be spamming double team, then slowly killing me.

mario_fan
7th June 2011, 4:02 AM
I Disliked the ice types this gen. 3 pure typed non legendarys! there even the same color! no purple green red or anything just light blue they're so bland.

manifesto
7th June 2011, 4:16 AM
Not to mention their lackluster designs...

KickAsh
7th June 2011, 4:34 AM
Which brings up the question, what is your most disliked type?
Looking back at all the teams I've ever had, the type I've used the least is Ghost. I've really only used Gengar before. That's not to say it's my least favorite type, in fact Ghost is my favorite type, but it's the one I've used the least.

My least favorite type is Ice. The only Ice types I really like are Abomasnow, Walrein, and Mamoswine. Plus, I really dislike the Ice types introduced this gen. They are some of the few Pokemon I really can't get behind, like Druddigon and Maractus.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 5:24 AM
Ice types for they really got screwed over for the past five gens. Only Lapras, Articuno, Weavile, Mamoswine, Regice, Abomasnow, Beartic, and Kyurem are my favorites. They should really try to revolutionize them like the bug types.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 5:55 AM
Ice really got screwed over this gen...

As for least favorite type, I'd have to say fighting or normal

はるひ
7th June 2011, 5:58 AM
I dislike the normal type sense it's useless. Yet soo many awesome Pokemon that are normal.

Also electric I'm starting to dislike since it's riddled with generic, gimmicky "cute" Pokemon

Silent Conversation
7th June 2011, 6:06 AM
Also electric I'm starting to dislike since it's riddled with generic, gimmicky "cute" Pokemon

Not necessarily. I admit that Emolga and Blitzle are cutesy generic Pokemon, I don't think Galvantula, Eelektross and STUNFISK were made to visually appeal to somebody.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 6:10 AM
I dislike the normal type sense it's useless.

Some are, others aren't. Examples being Snorlax, Blissey, and Porygon-Z

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 6:28 AM
Porygon-Z isn't that useful due to being slow and frail. Just ask Blue Harvest.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 6:29 AM
Maybe not in competative, but in-game it's awesome

rocky505
7th June 2011, 6:30 AM
Some are, others aren't. Examples being Snorlax, Blissey, and Porygon-Z Don't forget Tauros and Miltank. They are good.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 6:36 AM
Maybe not in competative, but in-game it's awesome

It has to be both though. If one's only good in-game but stinks in competitive (vice-versa has no effect), then it's useless.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 6:38 AM
It has to be both though. If one's only good in-game but stinks in competitive (vice-versa has no effect), then it's useless.

I fail to see your logic. In-game and competative are completely different, and you can't really compare the two

R_N
7th June 2011, 7:06 AM
I fail to see your logic. In-game and competative are completely different, and you can't really compare the two

And kind of silly that it's alright for a Pokemon to be competitively viable but not in-game viable

Like Amoongus. Not a very good in-game Pokemon to use, actually works pretty good in competitive battling

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 7:17 AM
And kind of silly that it's alright for a Pokemon to be competitively viable but not in-game viable

Like Amoongus. Not a very good in-game Pokemon to use, actually works pretty good in competitive battling

Exactly. Therefore it isn't useless

phetty
7th June 2011, 7:59 AM
I just now noticed that none of the Johto trio can use Hone Claws. How did Gamefreak miss the fact that both Raikou and Entei have claws and both could benefit from having an attack boosting move. Also I'm a little late but flying Golurk...

R_N
7th June 2011, 8:07 AM
I just now noticed that none of the Johto trio can use Hone Claws. How did Gamefreak miss the fact that both Raikou and Entei have claws and both could benefit from having an attack boosting move. Also I'm a little late but flying Golurk...

Golurk is based on super robots, ergo he can fly

Specifically the bottom portion of his body retracts and he rockets around

KuroiMawile
7th June 2011, 8:14 AM
I so hope they have Golurk use fly in the movie or anime.

rocky505
7th June 2011, 9:35 AM
I just now noticed that none of the Johto trio can use Hone Claws. How did Gamefreak miss the fact that both Raikou and Entei have claws and both could benefit from having an attack boosting move. Also I'm a little late but flying Golurk... Entei needed hone claws :( Well looks like we'll have to hope for another event entei lol.

phetty
7th June 2011, 11:33 AM
Hone Claws seems like it was rushed. Not even Scyther or Scizor got that move. Even stranger is Cobalion has access to the move, but not Terrakion or Virizion. Gamefreak can fix this though when the release the next game just add it as a Level Up move for all of them, or let them learn the TM.

SasakiThePikachu
7th June 2011, 1:32 PM
Also I'm a little late but flying Golurk...

The dude's a mecha. Mechas can *usually* fly. You never watched Gundam? :)

I was a little disappointed with the Psychic types this gen. The Reuni and Gothi lines are stellar, but everything else felt a bit 'meh' to me. I was very happy with the fire type love, however - much needed after the sorry affair of 4th gen.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 3:28 PM
I was a little disappointed with the Psychic types this gen. The Reuni and Gothi lines are stellar, but everything else felt a bit 'meh' to me. I was very happy with the fire type love, however - much needed after the sorry affair of 4th gen.

Not just that, they're still inferior compared to the first gen Psychic types, who are fast and powerful. All I want is another Alakazam in Gen 5, but one of them is too slow to be like him. It appears that GF is trying to make weaker versions since Gen II.

Fletcher
7th June 2011, 4:42 PM
Allright, maybe I'm in the wrong topic, ah well. Something that really confuses me, is the fact that Close Combat can't be learned by one of the pokemons that really should: Dodrio.

From Bulbapedia: "Dodrio's long legs allow it to deal devastating kicks, but only frontward." Plus it can learn Mega Kick. What do u think?

Chibi_Muffin
7th June 2011, 4:58 PM
^Umm... Close Combat seems to be more bulky and rapid-fire to me. I mean, Dodrio looks a tad delicate to use it.

And the Psychic types in Gen 5, I think, were quite good. I used Swoobat, Musharna, Reuniclus and Beheeyem and they were pretty decent. Admittedly, at the start my Munna was fairly frail, but overall there was enough variety. I suppose the complaining is just due to a lack of fast and hard hitting ones. Though that may be just me...

Geekachu
7th June 2011, 5:24 PM

That does not make it useless. Pokemon doesn't revolve around competetive play, it's a game what people make their fun out of, whether people enjoy the adventure, collecting, casual battling or competetive play

For people like me who don't give a flying **** about competetive battling, a Pokemon that's good in game, is useful nontheless.

And personally I thought the Psychics this gen were alright, well, I used Reuniclus on my in game team and despite it being slow, its Special Attack makes that up just fine.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 5:34 PM
Not just that, they're still inferior compared to the first gen Psychic types, who are fast and powerful. All I want is another Alakazam in Gen 5, but one of them is too slow to be like him. It appears that GF is trying to make weaker versions since Gen II.

Trick room fixes the problem if it being too slow. Frankly, I like having bulky psychics like Reuniclus and Gothitelle. I like pokemon that can take hits and hit hard

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 5:38 PM
Trick room fixes the problem if it being too slow. Frankly, I like having bulky psychics like Reuniclus and Gothitelle. I like pokemon that can take hits and hit hard

Trick Room is time consuming, which is why slow Pokemon end up in UU/NU. Reniculus is the only Pokemon who could run it well on its own and not share it with its other slow teammates.

King Lawliet
7th June 2011, 5:48 PM
Trick Room is time consuming, which is why slow Pokemon end up in UU/NU. Reniculus is the only Pokemon who could run it well on its own and not share it with its other slow teammates.
Trick Room wouldn't be time consuming in Doubles or Triples

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 5:52 PM
Trick Room wouldn't be time consuming in Doubles or Triples

But no one in competitive play other than official tournaments plays doubles and triples, only singles.

PokemonOwn
7th June 2011, 5:52 PM
Personally, I'm going to use this on a 5th Gen Team:

Cofagrigus + Amoonguss

Amoonguss gets Rage Powder, while Cofagrigus Trick Rooms, and owns. Other members are Escavailer, Stunfisk and Conkeldurr.

Thoughts? I like Trick Room, and it did decently in the Generation. Beartic, Conkeldurr, Stunfisk, Reuniclus, Beeheeyem, Escavailer, Golurk, Emboar, Musharna, Gigalith, Audino, Seismitoad, Throh, Cofagrigus, Carracosta, Jellicent, Alomomola, Ferrothorn, Klinklang, Eelektross, Druddigon and Kyurem are all decent Trick Room activaters and users. It was popular in the VGC, too.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 6:03 PM
But no one in competitive play other than official tournaments plays doubles and triples, only singles.

Not true. My brother plays competatively, and he only plays doubles. Besides, I really don't care what tiers pokemon end up in, I don't even play competatively

King Lawliet
7th June 2011, 6:08 PM
Sorry but if they do Doubles and Triples in official tournaments then doesn't it stand to reason that there are plenty of people that play with Doubles and Triples?

My point was that Trick Room isn't useless nor is it time consuming if you use it in Doubles and Triples, maybe if you only do singles then you'd might not have that much use for it but there are plenty of uses for Trick Room anyway.

zebbystrika
7th June 2011, 8:29 PM
My point was that Trick Room isn't useless nor is it time consuming if you use it in Doubles and Triples, maybe if you only do singles then you'd might not have that much use for it but there are plenty of uses for Trick Room anyway.

Trick room is awesome!! To me, it can be very useful.

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 8:36 PM
If TR is indeed useful, then why it didn't made slow Pokemon OU?

Grey Wind
7th June 2011, 8:41 PM
Please.

Please. You don't have to bring Smogong into every single thing. People like to play in game as well. And maybe they find it useful, regardless of what your god Smogon says.

Fletcher
7th June 2011, 8:44 PM
^Umm... Close Combat seems to be more bulky and rapid-fire to me. I mean, Dodrio looks a tad delicate to use it.

Well, i think its easier to imagine a Dodrio kicking (and so using CC) then an Arcanine doing whatever (and so using CC).

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 8:45 PM

If you want an answer to this, ask it in the Competative Pokemon section

PokemonOwn
Please.

Please. You don't have to bring Smogong into every single thing. People like to play in game as well. And maybe they find it useful, regardless of what your god Smogon says.

Personally, He's speaking from a Smogon point of view. Nothing's wrong with that. I do it, most of the time.

Anyway, TR is great in many situations.

Sash + Cofagrigus = Trick Room. In Singles.

Doubles and Triples:

Amoongus + Rage Powder.
Cofagrigus + Trick Room.

:P

XXD17
for me, trick room is a situational move...if used with pokes like slowking or reuniclus, it can work wonders...however, it can also aid your opponent and allow him/ her to set up if they have a slower poke on their team...

Grey Wind
7th June 2011, 8:48 PM
Personally, He's speaking from a Smogon point of view. Nothing's wrong with that. I do it, most of the time.
I know, but every single post. And people here are talking about in game sometimes, but he can't/won't accept that.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 8:52 PM
Aren't we talking about in-game most of the time?

King Lawliet
7th June 2011, 9:04 PM
Because the tier list are generated towards singles.

Smogon are more orientated towards singles meaning that any tier list is solely going to have Pokémon and moves that are more used in that. It's like saying After You and Rage Powder are horrible and 100% useless moves, well yeah if you're trying to use it in Singles battle.

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 9:07 PM
I'm sensing an inevitable flame war...

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 9:08 PM
Because the tier list are generated towards singles.

Smogon are more orientated towards singles meaning that any tier list is solely going to have Pokémon and moves that are more used in that. It's like saying After You and Rage Powder are horrible and 100% useless moves, well yeah if you're trying to use it in Singles battle.

That's because singles is the primary style of battle Smogon wants, not doubles nor triples.

Grey Wind
7th June 2011, 9:12 PM
That's because singles is the primary style of battle Smogon wants, not doubles nor triples.
Yes but you see NOT EVERYONE FOLLOWS SMOGON. People can talk about other things.

King Lawliet
7th June 2011, 9:15 PM
Yet the game isn't called Smogon Black and White. There are other ways of battling other than Singles.

NeohopeSTF
7th June 2011, 9:18 PM
What about rotation those 1000x better than single battles (In my views)

Blazios
7th June 2011, 9:22 PM
The standard is Singles because the only style was Singles from the start, so people are more used to it. That's not to say that the other modes shouldn't be played, the opposite, in fact. I quite like Rotation and I play some Doubles, even if I'm not too experienced at it.

(BTW, is it me or has Smogon been a bit... off... with some of its decisions lately?)

Dattebayo
7th June 2011, 9:37 PM
(BTW, is it me or has Smogon been a bit... off... with some of its decisions lately?)

Well they're suggesting on creating another tier between UU and NU, which may result in making Pokemon placed in that tier even less appreciated by newcomers and elitists.

Ansem1013
7th June 2011, 9:45 PM

rotation battles seem a bit gimmicky to me.

King Lawliet
7th June 2011, 10:33 PM
I find Rotation battles to be quite exciting as it's usually a faster game filled with prediction and having to improvise and adapt to things changing.

I really do think Rotation battles were a good addition to the game but there just wasn't enough of it in there

I have mixed feelings on that, I understand what they are trying to do and all with some of their decisions. I even understand why Blaziken and Moody were banned but I just feel that they are trying to force the metagame in a certain direction and wanting to have a particular type of metagame rather than adapting and working around the things that are there. That probably didn't make much sense but yeah...

Blazios
7th June 2011, 10:43 PM
I have mixed feelings on that, I understand what they are trying to do and all with some of their decisions. I even understand why Blaziken and Moody were banned but I just feel that they are trying to force the metagame in a certain direction and wanting to have a particular type of metagame rather than adapting and working around the things that are there. That probably didn't make much sense but yeah...

I understand Moody for being 100% luck based, but it does seem like lately they've been a bit too willing to ban things rather than try and find ways to beat them. I'm still against the Blaziken ban, but maybe that's because it can't switch in on most of my team without being Toxic stalled or 1HKOed. If Moody and SB Blaziken were in the game then usage of Hazers and PHazers would eventually increase to balance them as well as use of Slowbro to beat Blaziken. However, they seem to be in the mindset that using any Pokémon or move not normally found in OU is a "gimmick" rather than a viable strategy (Just look at some of the comments dismissing Escavalier as a Reuniclus counter).

Typhlosionvsworld
7th June 2011, 10:50 PM
Why do new Pokemon evolve later each generation?

General Nonsense
7th June 2011, 10:51 PM

I guess they were trying to make it a more difficult game

edit: rank up!

Geekachu
8th June 2011, 12:47 AM

Unova certainly did this, I think that in Unova the only Pokemon that evolve before Lv20 are the starters and Patrat. But I liked that decision in a way, to me it kind of meant you spent more time training your Pokemon to evolve, so there's in a way a better connection there (I know they're just pixels but whatever). And I like how it adds a more challenging aspect.

As for the other discussion, I don't know much about competetive battling and Smogon, but I think it's a bit stupid how they're banning these things. It's just conceding defeat and admitting that competetive battling, which finds intuitive ways to exploit Pokemon to their best ability, is not intuitive enough to find ways around a Speed Boosting Blaziken (why GF gave it that ability in the first place I dunno). And surely Moody can be as much as a hindrance than it is a benefit?

Typhlosionvsworld
8th June 2011, 12:49 AM
As for the other discussion, I don't know much about competetive battling and Smogon, but I think it's a bit stupid how they're banning these things. It's just conceding defeat and admitting that competetive battling, which finds intuitive ways to exploit Pokemon to their best ability, is not intuitive enough to find ways around a Speed Boosting Blaziken (why GF gave it that ability in the first place I dunno). And surely Moody can be as much as a hindrance than it is a benefit?

I don't see the point of Competitive Battling. Too many rules. It sucks the fun out of battling.

Geekachu
8th June 2011, 12:56 AM
I don't see the point of Competitive Battling. Too many rules. It sucks the fun out of battling.

Yeah that's what I think too, and it just turns your Pokemon into little lab experiment drones. I just said that because I just found it confusing how competetive battling can be so defeatist. I mean, by having a tournament and banning certain Pokemon because they're too strong is just admitting that your perfect IV's, EV trained, chain bred Garchomps aren't good enough to take on any Pokemon, so bans have to be made- or are Garchomps banned too?

Typhlosionvsworld
8th June 2011, 12:57 AM
Yeah that's what I think too, and it just turns your Pokemon into little lab experiment drones. I just said that because I just found it confusing how competetive battling can be so defeatist. I mean, by having a tournament and banning certain Pokemon because they're too strong is just admitting that your perfect IV's, EV trained, chain bred Garchomps aren't good enough to take on any Pokemon, so bans have to be made- or are Garchomps banned too?

They are, and I like Garchomp, which is why I will NEVER do Competitive Battling.

KickAsh
8th June 2011, 1:34 AM
You don't see Speed Boost Sharpedo or Ninjask getting banned, so why ban Speed Boost Blaziken? Sure, Blaziken is a better Pokemon than either Ninjask or Sharpedo, but Blaziken definitely has its counters.
A Surf from a Modest Slowbro with Choice Specs is a guaranteed OHKO on any of Blaziken's common sets. Slowbro, with its very high Defense, can also take all that Blaziken throws at it (except Hidden Power). Unaware Quagsire negates Speed Boost and can then 2HKO Blaziken with Surf. Adamant Choice Band Azumarill's STAB, super effective Aqua Jet will attack first, regardless of Blaziken's Speed, and 2HKO it. Jellicent is immune to Blaziken's Fighting type attacks, and resists it Fire attacks. So clearly Blaziken is counterable.

Of course, listing counters doesn't necessarily mean Smogon's decision is wrong buuuttttt.....

I just feel that they are trying to force the metagame in a certain direction and wanting to have a particular type of metagame rather than adapting and working around the things that are there.
^This

Typhlosionvsworld
8th June 2011, 1:38 AM
Is there a way to utilize Defeatist?

Blazios
8th June 2011, 1:44 AM
Is there a way to utilize Defeatist?

It's like Truant and Slow Start, in that it's supposed to balance something with really high stats.

So no, not really, unless you want to use some Skill Swap chain.

King Lawliet
8th June 2011, 3:06 AM
At the same time some rules really do need to be enforced otherwise it becomes far too easy to abuse it. If you allow Ubers then prepare to see an increase in Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Darkrai and so on which limits the choice of Pokémon you can realistically use without getting slaughtered by them

If you disregard Sleep Clauses you'll see an increase of Pokémon teams specifically designed to put your Pokémon to sleep quickly as possible and then sweep with no chance of a fight back.

These are only a couple of examples but there are plenty more rules like using the same Pokémon, items, using Double Team, One hit KO moves that are there to make the game more fun as without them you would see the amount of Pokémon that are viable severely limited which to me wouldn't be very fun at all.

They are, and I like Garchomp, which is why I will NEVER do Competitive Battling.
Garchomp isn't banned from Smogon's OU tier
(http://www.smogon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=34&a=187)

General Nonsense
8th June 2011, 3:08 AM
Maybe we should completely change the subject to make sure another arguement doesn't start

Dattebayo
8th June 2011, 3:17 AM
Sure.

Let's talk about the ghetto abomination known as Scrafty. While the typing is unique, I refuse to use it because of how it's associated with a certain group of people I have to deal with at middle school and high school. They try to bully me by telling that everything I do is gangsta, and I try to avoid doing such things again. Anything that's gangsta or associated with gangstas must perish. They really should've used that dual typing for a Pokemon associating psychotic Irishmen because they're at least entertaining.

Silent Conversation
8th June 2011, 3:33 AM
I find the whole gangster idea to be pretty creative, and the typing really suits it. I do understand why it would offend/annoy some people, but seeing as though it doesn't have that effect on me personally, I really like the design.

jj48
8th June 2011, 3:36 AM
I'm sorry, but when I saw Scrafty, I didn't see "gangsta" so much as I saw "guy (or Pokemon) too cheap/lazy to buy a belt".

General Nonsense
8th June 2011, 3:38 AM
Sure.

Let's talk about the ghetto abomination known as Scrafty. While the typing is unique, I refuse to use it because of how it's associated with a certain group of people I have to deal with at middle school and high school. They try to bully me by telling that everything I do is gangsta, and I try to avoid doing such things again. Anything that's gangsta or associated with gangstas must perish. They really should've used that dual typing for a Pokemon associating psychotic Irishmen because they're at least entertaining.

Y'know, I can't help but agree with you somewhat on that. I find gangstas annoying because of their tendancy to drop the f-bomb on average 4 times per sentence. I don't agree with the 'must perish' part, because I don't ever wish that upon anyone.

A psychotic Irishman? O_o

This post is barely pokemon related, so to make it pokemon related, I don't like Scrafy's design either.

Ansem1013
8th June 2011, 4:00 AM
Scrafty is hilarious. Klinklang's evolutionary line has horrible designs. Just plain lazy

General Nonsense
8th June 2011, 4:07 AM
Scrafty is hilarious. Klinklang's evolutionary line has horrible designs. Just plain lazy

Well, it sort of is how the evolution of machinery works. Improvements are made to what it was originally. If the Klinklang line wasn't based on machinery, I would say it's lazy.

Pikacu
8th June 2011, 4:28 AM
Lazy or not it still absolutely slays

Dattebayo
8th June 2011, 4:33 AM

You could pretty much say the same thing as Rapidash; the only evolutionary difference is the horn.

General Nonsense
8th June 2011, 4:35 AM
If you want lazy art, look at the Genies. I had a reason to nickname them Cut, Copy, and Paste

Dattebayo
8th June 2011, 4:37 AM
If you want lazy art, look at the Genies. I had a reason to nickname them Cut, Copy, and Paste

That made me lol. XD

Too bad I name them after Mega Man characters associated with their typing.

ScytheSwipe
8th June 2011, 4:46 AM
It's like Truant and Slow Start, in that it's supposed to balance something with really high stats.

So no, not really, unless you want to use some Skill Swap chain.

Whenever you have the option to change your ability to Mummy take it.

Ansem1013
8th June 2011, 4:55 AM

lol maybe they're brothers?